Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to this week's episode of The Tribe, cast live from the Austin Central Library. We're so excited to be taking this show on the road. I'm Eleanor Klibanoff, law and politics reporter at the Texas Tribune, joined as always by my co host, editor in chief Matthew Watkins.
Speaker 2: Hello, Eleanor, Hello.
Speaker 3: This is quite weird to be out in the real world.
Speaker 2: Now we will actually be able to see people not laughing at our jokes live.
Speaker 1: Not gonna be good for our egos, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: You know, we're very excited for this conversation because education has been at the center of the political conversation for the last few months, with state leaders making a lot of political hay out of what they think teachers and students need. But most of these lawmakers have not been inside a classroom since probably their high school graduation, or perhaps a little earlier than that for some of them, so to understand the view from inside the classroom. We're joined by the Texas tribunes K through twelve report Texas tribunes K twelve reporter Jaden Edison. Jaden, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Thank you your fans, appreciate you for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Chris Mahailsik, who teaches advanced placement environmental science at Westwood High School in round Rock and most importantly is the twenty twenty five TX t O t Y or the Texas Teacher of the Year. Chris, thanks for.
Speaker 3: Joining us, Thank you for having me. So excited to be here.
Speaker 4: He's been saying that all day, by the way, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's part of being the Teacher of the Year being able to handle unruly crowds. Can we rely on.
Speaker 5: You if yeah, I can make sure everybody stays calm use your teacher voice, yes.
Speaker 6: A crowdsurfer things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Christine, really, thank you for joining us and congratulations on this honor.
Speaker 3: I mean to start and you know, tell.
Speaker 1: Us a little bit about what it means to even be the Teacher of the Year and sort of what what that means to you.
Speaker 5: So being a Teacher of the Year for a state is really about being of service to the educators of your state.
Speaker 3: We call it our year of service.
Speaker 5: So I've been talking to people, I've been This is my first real big podcast though, So I'm excited to be here and really just amplifying teacher voice and student voice across Texas.
Speaker 1: Great, well, thank you so much for that. And as I understand it, you also get to now compete at the National Teacher of the Year competition.
Speaker 5: I was in the running, you were in the runn but Ashley cross in one. She's the Pennsylvania Texas Teacher of the Year.
Speaker 3: She's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Damn it, actually Crossing, we are coming for you.
Speaker 3: Oh she's pretty nice. No, I'm sure she's amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we want to get into the details of what this big legislative session for education will mean for teachers. You know, eight point five billion dollars flowing into public schools, and Chris maybe even sort of start us off actually and give us sort of the state of affairs. You know, how you've seen you know, what we've heard over the last couple of months has been you know, decades of underfunding of public schools. How have you seen that impact you, teachers like you and students statewide.
Speaker 5: I think the biggest thing that we've noticed, especially the last two years after funding was not past the last legislative session, is a huge increase in class sizes. So two years ago, our science classes used to be capped at twenty eight students, and we'd cap our freshman biology at twenty four because they're kind of rowdy they need more help. And then last not this last school year, but the year before were our cap was at thirty. And then this last school year, the twenty four to twenty five, our cap was at thirty four. So in the last two years alone, we've had, you know, six more students per classroom, and that means lots of extra grading. You know, you have to be very mindful to keep things safe in a science lab, you know, really lots of impact on teacher workload.
Speaker 2: So you had thirty four people in a class teaching biology.
Speaker 5: Yeah, our biology, we tried to cap our freshman biology class is a little smaller. They were at thirty. But yeah, my fourth block class, who I loved. They are amazing humans, but there are a lot of large athlete senior boys in there, and it was crowded. My classroom is not built for thirty four, you know, large humans right all experiencing the high school live. That's a lot, yeah, a lot. You know, you gotta be mindful with the science safety with that many.
Speaker 6: Folks, difficultiesers that pose.
Speaker 4: I'm curious, like in terms of you know, when you have smaller us bigger, I imagine maybe more difficult to have individualized kind of attention, oh.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent, the ability to really give deep individual feedback to thirty four students times. You know, my five classes of AP environmental science versus twenty eight kids. You know, that's a whole extra section of kids that we're trying to, you know, still give the very best possible education we can. To an English teacher at my school put it really well.
Speaker 3: He's like, you know, I used to teach when I give essays.
Speaker 5: It used to take me seven hours to grade my AP English essays, and now with the larger classizes, it takes me nine and a half.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, jayden As I understand it. At least according to our legislators, this is all going to be fixed. Now everything's resolved. Eight point five billion dollars. Tell us a little bit about you know what where that money is going to, and you know how far is that going to take us to restore what some of this underfunding has done.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I've been talking to superintendents and teachers all week, and I can tell you based off those conversations there's still a lot of work to be done. You know, it is eight and a half billion dollars and you know, really targeted investments, right. I think what makes this bill different from years past is the difference between flexibility and you know, restrictions on how districts can use the funding and so particularly you know, you see a huge chunk of the bill specifically focused on teacher pay, right. I know, Governor Greg Abbott and other uh you know leaders in the legislature have made that a top priority, right in terms of recognizing that obviously you know, who's in the classroom greatly has an outsized impact on student success as it relates specifically, you know to the classroom. I mean, we're going to see you know, a huge overhaul in the way that Texas fund special education, which is going to be huge. Those will going to effect the next school year, which the Commissioner, Mike Marath will have you know, uh, you know time you know between the bill going into effect September one this year and and the following year to kind of craft what that system is going to look like. A lot of investment in educator preparation because of the rise and uncertified teachers. Actually, you know, we'll see that teachers without formal classroom training will actually be phased out of foundational you know classes, so social studies, science, you know, math, reading by the year of twenty thirty. You know, there's investment in school safety. So it's a pretty comprehensibile I mean, it's two hundred and thirty one pages. Someone fact check me if I'm pretty sure I'm right. Two hundred and thirty one page of legislation here, yeah, right.
Speaker 6: But going back to.
Speaker 4: It, I think the biggest thing though, is, you know, I think I think districts are generally grateful for the money, though I do think that they also went into it hoping for more flexibility than what they ultimately ended up with.
Speaker 2: I'm quoting from the razier hand Texas briefing that came after that eight point five billion dollars is not even half of the nineteen point five billion dollars that would have been needed simply to maintain schools purchasing power since twenty nineteen, and so I think it is simultaneously true that this is the biggest individual kind of cash infusion growth in school funding in the state, while also possibly true that a lot of people in the education community are saying there still needs to be more that needs to be done here, and I think also talking about how a lot of that money is prescriptive. Right, It's been an interesting political shift over the time that I've been involved in covering Texas politics and the way that a lot of our state leaders have talked about education and educators as well. You know, there was a lot of kind of ranker and concerns being raised by superintendents and other people in the education community about the lack of funding or the need for funding, and you saw lawmakers, you know, in some cases, kind of turn the blame back at the superintendents and saying, you know, this isn't the result of us not funding you enough. This is the result of you not being responsible with money that was coming in, including money that was designated for COVID and things like that. And then you know, you also just see I think a much more of a willingness of lawmakers to sort of question the effectiveness or whether even you should send your kids to public schools.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: We'll get to vouchers here in a little bit, but I think you could maybe see that reflected a little bit and how this wasn't just here's an eight point five billion dollar blank check to the school districts, just spend as you see fit. But here's how you're gonna spend this money. You're gonna spend it on teacher pay. I'm sure you probably are okay with that idea, but crazy and various other things as opposed to just increasing you know, as the popular term, the basic allotment, right, which would have allowed people to spend that money the way they way they chose.
Speaker 4: And I think the big thing to note with the flexibility component, as much as it has to do specifically obviously with you know, classroom instruction and you know raises, a big thing is operational costs, which we know, you know, since twenty nineteen, the last comprehensive education funding bill, we've seen inflation go through the roof. And so you know, the basic allotment, this kind of flexible funding mechanism that districts call them for is just as much to try to keep up and pay for bus fuel, right to make sure you know, they have you know, money to address the NEEDE specific to their campuses, and kind of what their argument is is that you know, when you're giving US specific funding. You're assuming that we all have the same issues, right as opposed to you know, this district in West Texas has significant differences from what's happening in Houston is ISD, right, and so it's been a really interesting thing to kind of observe kind of the you know, the kind of back and forth over the course of the session.
Speaker 2: Can we talk a little bit about teacher recruitment, retention and pay here. I mean, that's a big part of HB two, the funding bill. There is there's two different factors here. There is the teacher pay raises, but there's also this effort to address what has been a concern in the education community about teachers coming in who did not have the sort of traditional training to become teachers and everything like that. I'm curious in your experience whether that was something you noticed as a teacher, that more uncertified teachers were coming in, and if so, was it a problem. How did you experience or witness that as as an educator out there in the field.
Speaker 5: So I'm also the Science department chare in our school, and our school is very big on teacher leadership. So I've been in a lot of interviews in the last four years of folks coming in wanting to be a teacher, and we have been forced to hire somebody that's not been certified. We had somebody leave two years ago two weeks before school started to be an assistant principle, and we had to fill that position. And it is very hard to hire anybody at all two weeks before school starts, so we had a long term sub for six weeks and we hired somebody that was uncertified. She had a PhD in biology, and you know, she was fabulous with the content, but not having any classroom experience, classroom management planning, she did not She did not serve our teenagers, she did not engage with our students, she did not.
Speaker 3: Serve our teenagers.
Speaker 5: So she did not make it through the years. Hire someone else. We had the same thing happened last year. We had somebody leave to be an instructional coach. And I'm always happy when people can move up in education, but it's tough to find people. In July and we had somebody that was not uncertified, had not been in a classroom before. It didn't last very long. So there is huge value in having those folks come in that are certified that have gone through a program where they've interacted with teenagers before they get to us, and then it puts a huge burden on the teachers that have to work and mentor them and train them. Our mentor teachers were often spending two of their five off blocks a week directly working with teachers trying to get them up to speed and mentorship is amazing, but that was extensive mentorship because they just didn't have any experience with teenagers. So from my perspective, I want a good certified teacher in every classroom in Texas, and passing this and hopefully strengthening our pipeline will really help, I think well.
Speaker 1: And I want to talk about the other side of that, which is like retaining qualified teachers. You've been in the field twenty three years. I'm sure you've probably would not have been Texas Teacher of the Year your first year, like oh no, oh no, Like what is the benefit of having teachers who have been in this for a long time? I mean, for in your specific classroom, but also you're talking about being becoming a mentor teacher.
Speaker 5: Oh the things that you learn along the way, you know, even I started teaching ap environmental science eight years I think into my career and even my first year I was kind of horrible then too. Even though I knew how to manage students and work with them, I forgot two of the six major air pollutants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I was teaching them.
Speaker 6: So my, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Now Pennsylvania they went back and checked and checked the record and.
Speaker 3: Pennsylvania managed all six of them.
Speaker 5: But no, there's there's so much value in getting better in your job and becoming a master teacher. You learn where the students misconceptions are. You learn how to help other people in your field grow. Uh, those are the ones that are running our major clubs, right, like our National Honor Society, that type of thing. So retention, I think there's been a lot of focus on like let's just get any human into the classroom, and I think really the focus needs to be how do we retain our good teachers?
Speaker 3: How do we keep them the race helps? What else do we need to do?
Speaker 4: Which is what ultimately created where we're at right now, right is that you know, you had so many teachers that left the profession, and so you know, I think you know what we found is that you know, through kind of particular legislation passed, you know, intending for one thing, ended up becoming a lifeline for many districts, you know, in terms of now you know, I'm able to bring in teachers because you know, qualified teachers are leaving the classroom. So it's a really it's an interesting It's interesting that this is a focus for lawmakers because in a lot of ways, you know, it was a problem created that they created, but almost it was unintended, you know, given the law that passed that allowed kind of the exemptions you know, for certification.
Speaker 1: So well, and one of the things I found we did an entire episode of the trip cast about uncertified teachers and that sort of issue, and one of the things I found so interesting from that is like teachers who maybe would have otherwise gotten certified, who are now saying, well, if I get paid the same and I don't have to do all this training, like I'll just go in the classroom and figure it out as I go. So it's a disincentive even to teachers who might want to get certified if that's not required. So it briefly walks through like what the provision is, like they'll have to phase.
Speaker 4: This out right, they'll phase it out, So that'll be by by twenty thirty that'll be I think, I forget the specificate, but it'll be twenty thirty when the commissioner when he can no longer allow exceptions to so it'll be a gradual kind of phase out. But the other important thing to notice that now you know, teachers will be able to be compensated or excuse me, teacher candidates will be able to be compensated for going through high quality preparation programs, right, whether that be you know, this this new kind of apprenticeship model that has come around and gained a lot of tracks in recent years, which basically I've actually visited one of these in huddle. They're kind of really cool when you go up and see them. It's basically, you know, you have these these teacher candidates who spend you know, considered amount of time in the class room working with a veteran teacher kind of learning under their wing. And so what they're trying to do again is to gradually kind of phase out these teachers specifically again to clarify in core kind of these core foundational subjects reading, mad science, social studies, while also incentivizing teachers to go through quality training programs and get them on a pathway to certification.
Speaker 2: And then the other thing is to keep them, as you already mentioned, right, and a big part of that is teacher raises.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: And so I'm reading this from a story that Jaden wrote, so you know, properly attributing here.
Speaker 3: Public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so districts in uh within school teachers with teachers in school districts with more than five thousand students with three to four years experience get a twenty five hundred dollars raise. Five thousand dollar rais for five or more years experience that's in increases to four thousand and eight thousand if you're in a smaller district, more likely a rural district where attracting teachers is more challenging. So my question to you is, I mean, I know this probably happened after school is out, and you know, but what is the feeling among the teachers you talk to? What is your feeling about this? Is this enough? Is this going to change things in terms of keeping teachers around or incentivizing people to join the profession.
Speaker 5: I think it feels a little bit like just some respect, some respect for the profession, like, we realize you are not being paid.
Speaker 3: You know, a lot of teachers have side hustle jobs.
Speaker 5: We great essays in the summer, We mentor a lot of teachers in math, especially tutor So it feels respectful, like we're acknowledging that we haven't had a teacher raise in a while.
Speaker 3: Our district gives teacher.
Speaker 5: Raises, but this is probably the biggest raise I've ever gotten as an educator in my twenty three years.
Speaker 3: And once, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Was talking to it, actually a teacher today in a district. They're about eight hundred and thirty students total in their district, so very rural community. And it was interesting because she's been teaching for like twenty four years as well, so you know, we were talking and she's like, you know, this all sounds great, but I'll believe it whenever my paycheck actually increases. So yeah, it's really interesting. But to me, it was funny. I laughed, but it highlighted kind of somewhat of this kind of distrust. I mean, you've gone, you know, so long with the kind of back and forth between the ISDS and lawmakers about you know, adequate funding, and that I think some people, teachers and maybe you could speak to this, are kind of just fatigued and are just like, Hey, if it's going to happen, it'll happen. When when my superintendent or principal tells me I'm getting the raise, I'll believe it. But for right now, I'm just gonna sit back and keep doing.
Speaker 6: What I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think certainly.
Speaker 1: I think, Like I remember, I mean two years ago when the funding sort of fell apart, that there was a lot of sort of teachers who were like I was sort of banking on that. I kind of thought that was happening. I would imagine this time around owned a lot more skepticism and a lot more wait wait till I see it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, I think with the way the bill is structured, you know, it'll be quite some time before I think the story's actually written on house build too, because there are these kind of new funding mechanisms. One, I think districts have to actually get the money in their hands and kind of realize, you know, understand, kind of you know what's allow here? How can I use this money there?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Because of the different restrictions and whatnot. So I think people are generally grateful right now, but again there's there's a lot of time I think until again the verdict will be out on whether the money did what it was intended to do and what lawmakers ultimately hope it will accomplish.
Speaker 2: How would you compare you said you've been in teaching for twenty three years, how would you compare teacher morale right now compared to earlier in your career.
Speaker 5: Well, I think my first couple years I was pretty clueless. I was just trying to kind of make it happen. But I think the last two years, teacher morale is lower than I've ever seen in probably the increase in class size, the feeling that like there was plenty of money in the Rainy defund last legislative session and nothing was done because vouchers didn't get passed. I think teachers are struggling a little bit right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think COVID, you know, hit everyone pretty hard obviously in many sectors, but I think teachers really are dealing with the long tail of that.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 1: I do want to talk about what you alluded to and sort of what has gotten in the way of these sort of deals in previous sessions and what really, if we're being honest about the political process, got this money over the finish line this time, which is that it was tied to passing. You know, Texas's very significant voucher program. Texas now has the largest day one voucher program in the country, a billion dollars to allow families to receive about ten thousand dollars per child to send them to private schools. Talk about a bill where the story is yet to be written a little bit, but Jane tells a little bit about you know, do we have any sense of what the impact will be on public schools from this long term?
Speaker 6: Yeah? You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: There's always a lot of focus on kind of you know, enrollment in particular. Well, we see in other states, you haven't seen kind of this mass exodus that that people anticipate.
Speaker 6: We'll always draw attention to.
Speaker 4: I think though, it's going to be funding right in particular, and so what I mean by that is, you know, the state won't always be operating at a what's the surplus now twenty five billion somewhere somewhere along those lines, and so you know, you have a billion dollars right now. You know, towards this particular program, which we know will grow in size as the program kind of grows in future years. Is law makers allocate more funding toward it. When you get in a situation where you know, you are in a budget crunch, where do you cut from?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: You know, is it public education right, which you know really is the hardened foundation of you know, Texas communities, you know, really all across the state, right, we all know Friday night lights and particularly in our rural communities where you know, these are major employers for families and whatnot, you know, or do you cut from you know, the valuer program, so that that's what is more interesting than me per se, not as much enrollment because again I don't think you're gonna see this mass exodus. And that's just looking at evidence in other states that have implemented you know, the these large universe what they call universal programs. But certainly, you know, when it comes to budgetary decisions in the future again, I mean right now, I mean, you know, there was eight and a half billion dollars in HB two. There are people probably in this room lawmakers who say that, you know, it should have been nine and a half. You pulled the money from from the voucher program, right, So that's where I think the conversation gets really interesting.
Speaker 2: I think the thing that I particularly will be watching will be demand for these right because if you do the math right, the number of private school students right now, if you multiply that by around ten thousand, which is around how much a voucher will be worth, that number is more than a billion dollars, right, And so are we going to see a situation where demand for these vouchers is immediately more than what the supply is available? And if so, what are lawmaker is going to do about it? You know, there was a thing, I think it was the Legislative Budget Board put out an estimate that you know, this could quickly escalate to four point eight billion dollars by twenty thirty. There was a lot of pushback among the lawmakers on that and saying like they're making this, They're not basing this prediction on anything, like we make the decision as to whether we increase it. And I think if demand does significantly outstrip supply outpaced supply, how much pressure will there be to expand the program and will they want to do that? And If so, that's where you might see it start to be more expensive. If not, you know, I think eight point five billion dollars. I think a lot of school district would would take eight point five billion dollars with a one billion dollar voucher program. They'll they'll look back at this and see its successful. Though you know, we just don't know how that's gonna play out yet. You can guess, but we'll have to just see.
Speaker 4: One quick thing that's interesting to noteut you know, I've been watching following closely at Tennessee because this year they actually you know, passed their voucher program and the implement implementation is kind of now in play, and so they've already seen you know, at the onset, you know, more applications than spots available, and so you have to imagine I mean, the state, the size of Texas. Right, you're gonna again think about it. I mean, if you're even if you're you know, if you're a family that has children that road in private schools already, right, this is this makes all the sense in the world for you to apply, right, and you are I'm sure you know that the schools will be advertising it, right. So the one thing that makes Texas unique is that there is this kind of gap year to kind of really build the program out and to get kind of awareness out there, because you know, usually you know, you might see, like in Tennessee, for example, you passed the program, it's going to be implemented, you know, the next school year around this time around you this is we have until twenty six, twenty seven school year. The comptroller who oversees the state's finances will be kind of ironing things out, you know, between September and May of next year. So a lot, there is a lot to your point, that has to kind of get figured out. But it'd be really interesting to see given the size of Texas and where we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris, I mean, how are public school teachers feeling about this? I mean, what is the you talked about the rays feeling like respect from lawmakers? How is this voucher program sort of being received?
Speaker 5: Obviously, most public school teachers would prefer the money go to public school kids. I think the big issue that sticks in a lot of teachers, Craw is that the rules aren't the same. Now that that you know, private schools are getting public tax payer dollars, they should have to play by the same rules we do, right, Like they should have to hire certified teachers and they don't. They should have to get their attendance a lot meant day by day like we do. We have average daily attendance and we get based on how many kids are in our class every day. And there just seems to be getting the ten thousand dollars. You know, it just doesn't feel like we're playing by the same rules. There's no real accountability system that they have to We have to give the star and then we get rated A through F. Is there going to be an A through F for the private school? Is there going to be star accountability? I mean it sounds like no. So it doesn't feel fair now that public funds are going to private schools that they don't have the same level of accountability we do.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of this sort of and Matthew sort of alluded to this is in this larger thing of like lawmakers seemingly at odds with public schools or wanting more oversight, wanting more it's sort of just a little bit of like what seems like a fundamental like distrust of the schools and of what's being taught in the schools and the amount of sort of control they have over all of that. I do want to talk about sort of did you do something on vouchers before.
Speaker 2: We Well, no, I mean I was just going to say, like, there's there's there's two arguments that were pushed for this. One is that, right, like you saw Governor Rabbit go around the state and talk about, you know, a concern that a lot of parents have about what you know, values are being taught to their students, right, and this, he says, gives them a choice to go seek a school that more aligns with their values. The other one would be, I mean the case that they make, whether you agree with it or not, is that if that the accountable accountability system for school vouchers is the sort of free market system. Right, if you don't think this school is doing well for at teaching your kid, you can go and send your kid to another school, whether that's leaving a public school to a private school, or a private school to a charter school, or all those different types of things, and you know, we will see what happens and whether whether those outcomes improved. It's I mean, it's there's there's we're now at the moment where it's just kind of like it's happening and let's see how it goes.
Speaker 1: It's like two core tenants of the current you know, governing party in Texas, which is free market and you know, stamp out liberal you know, indoctrination. I mean, these are two if anything, you know, the latter is sort of times rising and influence and over the former. I do want to talk about some of those bills that did sort of purport to stamp out at liberal indoctrination or give parents more oversight over that. A big one, you know, is about libraries themselves, school libraries you know, going forward, parents through the school board. But really, you know the premise of this bill is that parents will have more say over the books that are on school library shells going forward, rather than librarians themselves. This builds on legislation from last session that you know, aim to do something sort of similar. Jaden, We saw a lot of pushback to this bill from Democratic lawmakers. I watched some of these hearings. You know a lot of librarians showed out in full force. Honestly, a terrifying group to piss off, is what I learned from that. You know, talk a little bit about what the impact of that bill is and sort of how that fits into this larger narrative around you know, giving parents more say in the classroom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really interesting what it reminds me of. You know, I've you know, been back here in Texas. It'll be a year actually coming up here in a couple of weeks, and it just reminds me. I was watching somewhat I'm related but very much connected state Board of Education meeting maybe this was around this time last year, and there was you know, a parent who who was basically an activist, right, and she showed up. She's like one of the only people who's testifying during like the public speaking portion, and she's just like harping at the uh the state Board of Education members for you know, the lack of remedy, what she feels when it comes to you know, books, and she's reading off the most explicit, like vulgar things, you know, excerpts from books. What's interesting is same person is testifying, you know, during public hearings here this year during the session. And so while I bring that up, I mean, what I'm trying to get at is that you know, Ultimately, what you're seeing is you know, people who you know, as part of this larger movement that we've seen really start brewing, you know, really at the brunt of the pandemic where you know, it's part of this larger kind of you know, I guess backlash to the way schools go about you know, teaching. You know America's you know history of racism, you know how it accommodates you know, uh, you know, trans students.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: I think what we've seen this session, particularly with the library bill, you know, takes that a step further right, and ultimately, what the legislature is saying, and what they've been very clear about is that they believe that parents need to be in the driver's seat. Now, obviously, a lot of the pushback, you know, the question becomes, you know, which parents are we talking about? Right, because you know, there are a lot of parents who show up and testify at the Capitol and other places whose voices, you know, who they feel like their voices aren't heard. And so it's been it's been interesting. But I bring that up is that it's been bruined. Is that you have these people who are you know, really you know kind of locked in on you know, what's going on in different places, and you know they're part of these kind of different movements or organizations and connected with different people who really across the country have made this, you know a thing over the course of the last uh, you know, half decade or so.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean we're seeing I mean some of those people get elected. I mean Representative Hillary Hickland. That was sort of her origin story was you know, she was got involved at school boards and in like you know, what she would say is like trying to get obscene materials out of libraries. And now she's in the state House carrying that legislature that so it's certainly seems to be taking hold. You know, this has like been a sort of conservative what's sort of like like the field team to sort of you know, get up to the to the major leagues.
Speaker 4: Just one thing about quick like watching lawmakers listen to the excerpt from those books. It has been really interesting because you see almost how it's happening in real time. Because no, I think I don't think anybody would deny that the things that we're hearing at those meetings are like whoa like you know, like WHOA Right, So It's interesting, right the question become obviously now we can talk about, you know, whether certain things are out of context or you know, there are different there's kind of nuance to it. But just in terms of the kind of lawmaking process, it's been really fascinating to kind of watch that up close. I mean, I've seen you know, you know Chairman, you know, Brad Buckley, you know who's the House of the Public Education Committee, who they're sitting up listening to you know, the excerpts, and in real time you're kind of seeing things developed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just to your point about the politics of this, it's been interesting to watch. It's really been swinging back and forth, right because you saw that big wave of lawmaker of school boards, you know, in South Lake and then beyond where where this became really a winning issue in school boards this past May when they're you know, when the legislature was doing all these things. Another thing that happen then was a bunch of school board elections in which almost all of the school boards supported by this kind of you know, these packs and these these other forces, their candidates were voted out or lost, you know, and so the pendulum kind of keeps swinging back and forth, and you know, I'm interested to see what impact this actually has. You know, are there really that many books in school libraries that have this kind of material in there? Is this going to have a material impact?
Speaker 6: Also?
Speaker 2: Are kids still checking out these books? You know? A lot?
Speaker 1: Well? And like, I think a lot of it comes down to, like do you trust librarians to kind of run their library right and to be responsible of that? Chris, I'm curious, like how you've have you spelt sort of this rising tide of parental involvement or of scrutiny of the work you're doing. Have you felt that in your district?
Speaker 3: Not a whole lot. I think.
Speaker 5: I think our librarians are amazing, and I think they've been able to kind of run their library as they so choose. The thing that I find so interesting about this whole like we're going to ban these explicit books, Like kids can get all kinds of things on their phone. Oh yeah, you know, so it's sort of like, why are you know, what are your kids doing on their phone? Because it's probably worse than the book they're not checking out from the library.
Speaker 2: Well they can't, you know, they can't take their friends school anymore either, right, isn't that they'll be developed?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The one thing I was going to add though, is that this bill, in my opinion, again I'm not a lawyer, but it has legal challenge written all over. And the reason I say that is because there's a particular provision in the bill that you know, if a book gets challenged, it's pulled off the shelves, right, And so you get into this territory. We're'll be curious to see. Again, I don't I can't predict the future, but it'll be interesting to see kind of what the you know, how kind of legal groups will response to this. We know they've been very vocal about other legislation kind of in the same vicinity, and so it'll be I don't think you know, the discussion is over on you know, obviously, you know it goes into effect. You know, we'll see kind of you know, what happens after the fact. But I think folks will have something to say about it, because again, what it does is it puts it. I mean, really, what they're saying is that you know, these parents, they are ultimately they altoately have the power to determine what the community's values are right, and that's a big part of how the legislation. I mean that's actually like specific like language and the bills it talks about like community values, and so again, it's really interesting. I'll be curious to see how this also fits into like the national landscape as well. Given again texasercise, it's always has outside influence. But yeah, I think there's a lot still to be kind of written on this particular topic.
Speaker 1: And certainly we've seen bills like or laws like this get challenged in court and in some cases get basically knocked down. So yeah, I think that's a pretty solid prediction librarians not taking this laying down.
Speaker 4: I talked to a librarian earlier, and you know, one thing that really struck me was just like how much I don't think people actually realize like like librarians. And I think she was telling me earlier, like you know, we're required to have master's degrees, right, like we are, Like this is a very like rigorous process, so we're not just people who just show up and just you know, scan a book you know here, and they're like it's a pretty like hard job and like takes a lot of skill in telling that. So I think that's why you probably saw a lot of the backlash, and it's like, you know, we want you to understand exactly what we do, right, and we need to be at the table if you're making decisions having to do with our.
Speaker 1: Profession, right, yeah, trust us to do our job sort of to just I want to briefly talk about an issue that a couple of the kids in the room might care about, which is the not dead yet Star Test. The attempt to get rid of this large annual assessment and now they lawmakers were unable to strike a deal, so the Star Test lives. Chris, can you talk a little bit about like the Star Test, how do teachers feel about it?
Speaker 3: The students and generally just.
Speaker 1: Like this test, teach to the test mentality. I think lawmakers were worried about well. Testing causes a lot of anxiety for our students, especially I think in the younger grades. By the time they get to high school, they're a little bit more jaded about it, but it still takes up quite a bit of our time, you know, making sure those kids. For example, of the English skills for the English Test or the O in our worldest is the Biology test. I think teachers were not thrilled about the idea of three tests a year, So I think.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's good that that's gone.
Speaker 5: But yeah, testing is a challenging one and I really wish there was more teacher representation with the people making these decisions that really have been in the classroom that understand Like, I could never make a decision about how elementary school testing could go, you know why as a legislator that has never been in the classroom before making those decisions for us, I'd love to see more teacher input on testing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just seems like it's a very it's a good applause line if you're a politician to be like, we're getting rid of the Star test because people don't like it and people don't like standardized tests. Right, But then you kind of get into the nee gridy of like, Okay, we there needs to be some way to measure how successful schools are, right, there needs to be some way to hold them accountable. And then it starts to sort of break down from there and it gets a lot harder. Right, you just talked about like they were talking about three separate tests which would have been maybe designed to you know, in their minds be a bit more effective of measuring. But then now you have three high pressure tests throughout the school year that that is also stressful for people. And uh, it's it's I think it's less complaicated on the campaign trail and more complicated when you actually get into how are we going to do this and how are you actually going to make sure that our students are getting what they need in order to you know, succeed.
Speaker 4: I think one thing that we I think, you know, we also have to mention a big part of that bill would at least, you know, in the Senate version, would have given the Commissioner of Education a considerable amount of authority when it relates to basically what they were trying to do is lay the hammer down toward districts who sue, you know, whenever they disagree about you know, the accountability system, and so you know, it would have honestly put them you know, you know, uh, they could have been you know, liable to have a conservator you know appointed, you know, you know in their district if they were to sue you know against you know, changes made, and so obviously it was a big part of it was the test itself, right, and I think it's actually interesting. Like that was the one thing that seemed to have like somewhat kind of universal agreement was that like we need to get rid of the star. But ultimately, once again, you know, it didn't happen. I'll be curious to see kind of it. Perhaps it sounds like they feel like they made some progress and momentum this session, just judging on I was in Salado last week at the House Built Too bill signing, so I'd be curious to see, like if this, if this is actually like if this was meaningful in the long term, where when they come back in what twenty seven, you know, they're picking up you know, at a you know, at a better place maybe than where they have in previous years.
Speaker 6: But but to your point, we'll see kind of what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely well, we're gonna have to leave it there. But before we do, Chris Jaden, I'm hoping you guys each I mean, it was a huge legislative session for education. A lot of promises made, a lot of stuff changed. If you had to give the Texas legislature a grade on a scale of an A to F in terms of you know, Chris, I want from you you know on you know, promises upheld to teachers. Jaden, just generally, you know, how are we feeling about how education got made it through the session?
Speaker 3: Matthew thoughts on this before.
Speaker 2: They do this, great, just be careful Jaden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just on and you know how how well did they uphold their promises from the beginning of session?
Speaker 3: Okay? I have two grades B plus on teacher pay.
Speaker 2: Great, do schools get B pluses? I think the eight through F doesn't do a plus or minus?
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, she can do it, get B this is the classroom.
Speaker 5: And then I think for funding of schools d I really would have liked to see some more of an increase in basic allotment to help fund basic operations for schools.
Speaker 1: Jade lest out if you're ever going to hear back from Chairman Buckley.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if I have a you know, particular grade, I mean the one. The one thing I will say is that I think, you know, what didn't happen in twenty twenty three may I think makes the perception.
Speaker 6: Of house built too.
Speaker 4: Uh. It's a little it's a little bit difficult to celebrate for some people out in the public. Head community just because again you know, since you know, the comprehensive funding bill did not pass in twenty twenty three. I mean we're seeing you know, school districts the size of Houston ISD that are considering you know, closures. You know, we're seeing budget deficits, you know, in droves. Obviously we talk about our special education funding gap, which I know lawmakers you know, made some significant changes this year that will kind of chip away at that, but there are just some really significant needs. And so you know, as a reporter, as I look at the as I look at the situation, you know, I think, you know, it's my job right to ask those questions of yes, this is a moment that obviously you're celebrating, but there was a lot also left on the table, you know, two years ago that are going to have lingering impacts, and then not even just two years ago. Prior to that, you know, you know, schools is base funding, you know, which gives them the flexibility to address operational costs, and you know, the things that are unique to their campuses hadn't been raised since twenty nineteen, and so there's a lot of work the legislature has to do. I think they they I'm sure they understand that. And while you know this is you know, they see this is kind of a historic, huge moment. I think, you know, as I've been out, you know, talking to districts and teachers, I think people are grateful for the money, grateful for the investments. But make no mistake, I don't think anybody's saying that the job is done and that you know, you know, this is it. I think, you know, Matthew pointed out earlier, I think the gap between you know, the money now and the twenty nineteen funding levels is somewhat roughly ten billion or something like that.
Speaker 6: So a lot of work to be done.
Speaker 3: This is why they hate journalists.
Speaker 1: We're like, good work, more to do though, yeah, always yeah, Well, thank you so much. Uh, first to Jaden for joining us. Also to Chris Mahil Sick. And that is this week's episode of the Trim Cast.
Speaker 2: H