Speaker 1: Full trial audio everything hurting court no silences to skip, yes, please run.
Speaker 2: A lot of.
Speaker 3: People in the court today we have Carmelwealth versus Lindsay Clancy.
Speaker 4: Miss Clancy is present.
Speaker 3: She is represented by Attorney Kevin Reddington, and the Commonwealth is represented by Assistant District Attorney Jennathan Sprague and Assistant District Attorneyship In Buckingham.
Speaker 5: All right, good morning, council A right, good morning, Miss Clancy.
Speaker 2: All right, before we uh bring the jury in, let me talk to everybody just a little bit about uh, this morning's proceedings.
Speaker 5: Counsel m.
Speaker 4: Yes, please the court Today.
Speaker 3: We have the continuation of the jury trial and the matter of Commonwealth versus Lindsay Clancy. Ms Clancy is president. She is represented by Attorney Kevin Runnington. The Commonwealth is represented by Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Spragg and Assistant District Attorney Shannon Buckingham.
Speaker 2: Well, good morning, everybody. Nice to see everybody again. Thank you for being here. What I'm going to do is ask me those questions again and then talk a little bit about today's schedule, and then we'll get right back into the Commonwealth's presentation of the evidence. And so the first question, as you probably know by now, is any member of the jury red scene heard or overheard anything from any source, but any aspect of this case that would affect.
Speaker 6: Your ability to be feared and partial as a journy.
Speaker 2: Last question, is there any other serious matter or concern bearing on your service as adjur in this case that anybody needs to bring to my attention to this line.
Speaker 5: Again, thank you for following those instructions.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Today's schedule is we have a number of witnesses. We're gonna start as soon as I'm done talking, and then we'll get right back into the Carmos case. We'll go we'll take a break mid morning, uh, and then we'll continue untill one o'clock and then we'll I anticipate we'll go somewhere into the afternoon, but we'll just kind of have to see what the evidence is if any other issues come up that I have to deal with that doesn't concern you. Uh So with that, I'm gonna turn this over at this point to the Commonwealth.
Speaker 5: IM ready to call your next witness.
Speaker 8: Guess run and the.
Speaker 7: Come Wealth calls doctor Kimberly Springer.
Speaker 9: The samijection.
Speaker 6: Okay, th same.
Speaker 2: All right, Good morning, doctor, Good morning, all right, come off. Could I see Council Soviet for a second. Fruit they'll work better for everybody, okay, all right, all right, come.
Speaker 7: Off, thank you, honor, good morning. Can you please stay and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 10: Yes, it's Kimberly Springer k I M B E R L E Y S P.
Speaker 11: R I N G E R.
Speaker 10: Where do you work at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Boston, Massachusetts?
Speaker 7: And are you a medical examiner?
Speaker 11: I am?
Speaker 7: How long have you done that?
Speaker 11: Twenty years?
Speaker 7: Can you describe for us your educational background?
Speaker 10: I yes, four years of college at Wellesley College in Wellesley, Massachusetts. Four years of medical school at the Chicago Medical School in North Chicago, Illinois. Four years of residency training in anatomic and clinical pathology which is hospital based pathology and at the Brigaman and Women's Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts. And one year of fellowship training in forensic pathology at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, which is where I now work.
Speaker 7: And throughout that twenty years at the Medical Examiner's office. Have you conducted autopsies? I have approximately how many?
Speaker 11: Over two thousand?
Speaker 7: And have you testified in courts in the com Wealth about these autopsies I have, Can you explain to the duris what is an autopsy?
Speaker 12: Yes.
Speaker 11: An autopsy is a.
Speaker 10: Tool by which we examine the whole body in an effort to determine cause of death. And it's comprised of two parts. And external examination, where we look for identifying characteristics such as height and weight, evidence of medical therapy, and evidence of trauma and disease. We may take evidence as appropriate, and then we turn to the internal examination, making surgical like incisions and examining each of the internal organs, again looking for evidence of trauma and disease, and taking additional samples for other tests such as toxicology.
Speaker 7: Now I want to direct your attention to January twenty ninth, twenty twenty three. Did you you perform an autopsy on Callen Patrick Clancy.
Speaker 11: I did.
Speaker 7: And when you perform this autopsy, did you follow the procedure you just described or you did an external examination and then an internal examination? Yes? And can you tell us what your initial observations were of Callen when you started the external examination?
Speaker 10: Yes, so Callen had some therapeutic procedures in place or therapeutic equipment in place, including a thermometer and the left nostril, a laser gastric tube in the right, an endotracheal tube down the throat, a fully catheter draining urine, intravascular catheters in the right hand and right wrist UH and an intravascular.
Speaker 7: Catheter in the left foot.
Speaker 10: There was some diseased a residue, possibly from other therapeutic procedures as well on his chest. And there are additional needle marks that I saw on his body. In general, I may should I keep going?
Speaker 7: Well, what were your general observations?
Speaker 11: In general?
Speaker 10: He was We measured him at twenty six inches long and twenty four pounds. He had general edema, and that those are the general So.
Speaker 7: When you were talking about therapeutic things, are those things that were done by a medical provider at a hospital or some such setting.
Speaker 11: Correct?
Speaker 7: And what do you mean when you say he had general edema?
Speaker 11: It means that he had.
Speaker 10: General His whole body had more fluid than one would expect in a person or eight months of an eight month old who had not been in the hospital. It's very common for someone coming from the hospital to have had been given fluids such that they have excess fluid and swelling.
Speaker 7: Did you make observations of any injuries or trauma to callin? Yes, if we could have a photo nine nine six zero.
Speaker 2: Hold on, let me just remembers the dread it's might give you a kind of revisit that instruction they talked to you last week about.
Speaker 5: I remember we talked about before they played that tape.
Speaker 2: All right, I just want to remind you that sometimes evidence is presented for the trial that.
Speaker 5: Creates emotional reactions.
Speaker 2: But as jurors who have taken an oath the fall of the law, I'm instructing you as they did last week, they you must separate any emotional reaction on your part from the informational value and the way from the You must not be influenced in any way but the unpleasant nature of the photographs and testimony that you're going to hear this morning or throughout the whole trial as well. So you must find the facts in this case based only on the evidence.
Speaker 5: But you can't find.
Speaker 2: Those facts or base those facts on sympathy, anger, passion, prejudice, or pity against either side.
Speaker 6: So I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: I just kind of want to remind you of that, and with that.
Speaker 7: Came on, Thank you, honor. So photo nine ninety six zero is that on the screen dot?
Speaker 11: Not yet? Yes, okay, thank you.
Speaker 7: If you could just describe for us what we're seeing here in this photo.
Speaker 10: So, this is a photograph of Kellen at the time of autopsy, and heming a ruler underneath his neck where above which you can see abrasions, and you can also see some needle marks that I mentioned from therapeutic procedures on his arm.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry if you could use the tool pressing the top button there just to highlight the area talking about the abrasions.
Speaker 13: On the net.
Speaker 10: Right here on his right side of his neck and then in the middle of the neck and on the left side of the neck.
Speaker 7: And I could now have photograph six sixty three you could tell us what we're seeing here in this photograph.
Speaker 13: Doctor.
Speaker 10: This is another photograph showing a bit more closely again the abrasions of the neck. There's one on the front of the neck, the one the shorter one that's about half an inch long by one sixteenth inch. For those more familiar with the metric system, a centimeter is two point five centimeters.
Speaker 11: About an inch. A sixteenth of an inch is.
Speaker 10: About one point five millimeters, so this is half an inch by one sixteenth inch. And then on the right here this is about one and a half inches by.
Speaker 7: A sixteenth inch, and then showing.
Speaker 14: Two.
Speaker 11: May I go back to that for one?
Speaker 10: For one, I just want to point out between the ruler and the abrasions, you can see a paler line. That's a normal infant neckfold. That's not a injury, thank you.
Speaker 7: In nine nine five two, Please you could just point out for us here the injuries of significance to you.
Speaker 11: Here. Sorry, I I think I did that.
Speaker 7: We could go back to the prior total the top one.
Speaker 10: Yeah, okay, So these again are the abrasions on the left side of his neck, and there's the one on the front of his neck.
Speaker 11: In addition, on uh.
Speaker 10: The left side of his forehead is a three sixteenth inch by one sixteenth inch abrasion. And I think, uh you can also begin to see uh particial hemorrhages, which are dot like hemorrhages underneath the skin on the face.
Speaker 7: And what are particulal hemorrhages.
Speaker 10: Particular hemorrhages occur when uh, there is rupture of the small blood vessels underneath the skin surface.
Speaker 12: UH.
Speaker 10: And they are from an over pressure of the small blood vessels such as capillaries or venuals, and UH blood escapes out and makes a dot like hemorrhage.
Speaker 7: We could have photo nine nine five four if you could explain for us what we're seeing in this photograph.
Speaker 10: Place Uh in this photograph is uh Callen's uh right side, also showing the back of his neck, so that abrasion that could be seen in the first photo UH showing the front of his neck. That abrasion continues along about three inches in all toward the right posterior or back of the neck.
Speaker 7: And if we could have photo nine nine five five piece. Is this a close up photograph of what you just described.
Speaker 11: Yes, you can show it out right here.
Speaker 7: Thank you. Could we have photo six thirty six please, and UH, if you could describe for us what you see here in.
Speaker 15: This photo doc.
Speaker 10: UH the abrie Well, first, the abrasion is in poor focus, but it's in the picture on the left side of UH of the photograph.
Speaker 11: UH.
Speaker 10: And then the most in the f in the photograph, one can see those particular hemorrhages better along the cheek on the eyelid.
Speaker 13: All of those we can have.
Speaker 7: Photo six five four, Please can you describe what we're seeing in this photograph? Doctor Uh?
Speaker 10: Yes, it's an abrasion UH near the hairline on the right side of the forehead, and.
Speaker 7: That is appear that is about.
Speaker 11: Three eights by one inch one eighth inch.
Speaker 7: And then photo six five six, Please can you describe what we're seeing in this photo here?
Speaker 4: Doctor?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 10: This is a looks looking at the top of Callen's head and on the top right part of his head, UH toward the front is near the forehead is a UH one eighth by one sixteenth intro version.
Speaker 7: And then photos six five seven place, Hm, you can describe what we're seeing here, doctor, this is.
Speaker 10: A the abrasion on the left side of his forehead with a ruler at this time.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 10: In addition, the UH pettiki are also in pretty good focus on this.
Speaker 7: And then photograph nine nine one six. If you can describe for us what we're seeing in this photograph place Uh.
Speaker 10: So these are some of the UH. I forgot to mention at the very beginning. There's a intravascar catheter in the UH right groin. This is Callen before we took off his medical therapy.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 11: And it shows some of the needle marks.
Speaker 7: That he had.
Speaker 10: So on his this is right lower extremity. This is a look of an intra osseous catheter attempt with a central puncture mark and our round abrasion around it. And then here's the right growing line and the left foot line.
Speaker 7: And if we could have photograph nine nine to one seven, are we seeing the same thing here on the left leg, those same ile at.
Speaker 4: Tent marks exactly?
Speaker 19: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 7: Doctor. Are you able to to date the the wounds that I had, the abrasions and mark on the head, Are you able to say when those got there or how long they've been there?
Speaker 10: I can't precisely, but they have signs of healing in the form of scabbing.
Speaker 7: And would that indicate that they weren't fresh wounds that happened the day you saw him or the day prior. Correct in terms of the marks around Kalan's neck and the pateechii around his eyes and face, did that give you an indication here of the mechanism of death for Callen?
Speaker 13: Ah?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 10: And how so so it is consistent with a ligature of strangulation, given that the abrasions are linear around his neck and there are particular hemorrhages above.
Speaker 11: Those lines of abrasion.
Speaker 7: And how is it that when someone is straight the ligature that that causes pateechii in the face and eyes.
Speaker 10: So what happens is that the blood vessels that supply blood to the neck are compressed. And so there are regular veins which are a lower pressure system, and carrotid arteries which are a somewhat higher pressure system. And so the as the vessels are compressed, if there is a backup of blood in the head, there can be an increased pressure in those small blood vessels that I mentioned, and they can rupture, causing the pati qui.
Speaker 7: But basically, is it similar to a balloon filling up? But it's not air, it's it's blood and pressure in the face. Yes, And so when that pressure gets too great, is it that the capillaries are basically bursting and causing those little red marks?
Speaker 10: Yes, most texts save capillaries, some save venules, the small blood vessels.
Speaker 7: And how is it that this process, the strangulation by ligature causes death physically? How does that? How does it physically happen.
Speaker 10: So the blockage of blood, either both to end from the head or just from the head, will cause a lack of oxygen to arrive at the brain.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 10: And UH there can be an element of airway compression as well, such that the lungs can't oxygenate properly. And UH, so that lack of oxygen is what causes the brain to die and uh the organs to fail.
Speaker 7: And based on your examination of Callen, did you come to a determination, based on your training and experience, to a reasonable degree of medical certainty as to the cause of his death?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what was that?
Speaker 10: Complications of mechanical asphyxia?
Speaker 7: And why is it complications of mechanical asphyxia instead of just the asphyxia.
Speaker 10: Itself, Because he was resuscitated and so his heart began to beat again, and from the twenty fourth to the twenty seventh there was a continuation of support of his organs to in the hospital. And so if he had he had a heart stopped heart at the scene, and in that case I would have just said mechanical asphyxia, But since there was a three day hospital stay, I said complications of mechanical asphyxia.
Speaker 7: So the word complications doesn't mean that something happened at the hospital to cause his death. It's just that the strangulation caused his death. But he didn't die for a few days.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 7: Kamal would move to submit the autopsy photos as the next exhibit.
Speaker 6: Same rejections. They may be admitted, that may be admitted.
Speaker 2: Have nothing further, council, All right, thank you me step down, doctor, thank you, I see just brief.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I should break it this time.
Speaker 20: Okay, all right, all right, this quote will be in recess.
Speaker 3: For the purpose of the record. We returned back to the matter of comwell for us as Lindsay Clancy. All potties up present, including the kind of excluding the jury.
Speaker 6: All right, cause were ready for the jury.
Speaker 7: Yes, your honor?
Speaker 13: All right?
Speaker 15: Or are there this of course? Now session please be see that arana.
Speaker 3: For the purpose of the record, we returned back up a trial commonwealth process.
Speaker 4: Lindsay Clancy, all including.
Speaker 7: The defendant and including the eighteen jurors.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you everyone.
Speaker 5: So we are now return to the Komo's case.
Speaker 6: Tree Sprague, thank you.
Speaker 7: On a como calls doctor Lindsay Roshert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just watch this stuff please, Hey, good morning, Dog, Good morning, Tree.
Speaker 7: Sprague, thank you, good morning. Can you please stay and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 21: Lindsay roschert l I N D S A y R O S s H I R T.
Speaker 7: And what do you do for a living?
Speaker 21: I'm a pediatrician.
Speaker 7: Where do you work?
Speaker 21: I work at Quincy Pediatrics.
Speaker 7: Back in twenty twenty three? Where did you work Selfial Medical Center? And how long had you work there at that point.
Speaker 22: In twenty twenty three? I think I had been there for about seven years?
Speaker 7: And could you just briefly describe for us your educational and training background that enabled you to be a pediatrician.
Speaker 18: Yes.
Speaker 22: I completed medical school at Yukon and then did my pediatrics residency at mass General.
Speaker 7: And when you were working at the self Shore practice in twenty twenty three, were you assigned as a pediatrician for the Clancy family?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: And how long had you been there? Pediatrician?
Speaker 21: I'm sorry? How long had I? Can you repeat that question?
Speaker 7: How long had you been the family pediatrician for the Clancys.
Speaker 21: I believe I started seeing them around twenty nineteen.
Speaker 7: And in the practice that you were in at that time, was it just yourself or were there other doctors and nurse practitioners and staff that would treat and see patients.
Speaker 21: It was a somewhat large group.
Speaker 7: And so would you always be the one treating the Clancy children or would some of your associates sometimes see the children.
Speaker 22: I did all the checkups, but if there was a sickness and I wasn't there that day, they would be seen by another provider.
Speaker 7: And by checkup are you referring to a physical or well visit.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 7: And then if for example, one of the children were ill and the family called to make an appointment, they would see who's available.
Speaker 22: Yes, they would always check my schedule first, but often have to see someone else.
Speaker 7: And would you have access to their records as their lead pediatrician to review if they came in for a sick visit or something like that, to keep yourself updated. Yeah.
Speaker 22: Often at the time of the checkup is when we will go back and see what visits they've had since the last time we saw them.
Speaker 7: This time, I'd move to submit the pediatric records from Self Shore Medical Center for Cora Bowsson and Clancy.
Speaker 6: Any objection it may be admitted.
Speaker 7: If we could focus for a moment on callen Clancy. He was born in May of twenty twenty two, correct, that sounds right, Yes, and you were his pediatrician from the time he was born. Yes, while you were his pediatrician, did his mother, Lindsay Clancy, ever talk to you about Kllen having issues taking a bottle?
Speaker 21: Not that I can remember.
Speaker 7: Was there anything out of the ordinary health wise with Callen?
Speaker 21: No?
Speaker 7: Was there any issues or were there any issues with him meeting his milestones?
Speaker 21: No?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 7: What about Dawson Clancy? Did he have any health issues or concerns that you were aware of?
Speaker 22: If I recall correctly from the notes, I think just a peanut allergy if I remember, But otherwise he was healthy and.
Speaker 7: Core Clancy did she have any medical issues?
Speaker 22: I think asthma That was pretty welcome trolled, but she was also healthy.
Speaker 7: Now, in your role as a pediatrician, are you aware of postpartum issues and are there certain things that you look for in new moms when you're treating babies.
Speaker 22: Yes, we were certainly aware of it, and we try to look for any kind of outward signs at some of the initial newborn visits. Do you want me to elaborate, yes, please, So, for example, things we might look for would be if a mom is kind of has a flat affect, or not really making eye contact, or tearfull, or having trouble bonding with the with the baby.
Speaker 7: And if there are those issues that you see, do you document them in the medical records?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what do you do in terms of treatment or care when you see those things?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 22: So, since since we're obviously caring for the child, we are not really able to diagnose or manage anything for the mom, but we do try to connect her with resources, whether Massachusetts has some postpartum resources or often will refer to have her try to contact her OBI.
Speaker 7: When you were interacting with Lindsay Clancy when you were treating her three children, did you ever see the need to refer her for any of those services?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 7: And did you ever see any of those visible signs that you talked about, the flat affect or anything like that when you were interacting with her.
Speaker 21: I don't remember anything like that. No.
Speaker 7: Now I want to ask you about some of the things that are in the medical record that the jurors will see, so that you can just kind of explain what they'll be looking at. Showing you a record here from January eighteenth, twenty twenty three. Issues with the brightnesself. Just bring it to you. I just look that over. But consistent with the medical records from your practice.
Speaker 4: Yes, and so.
Speaker 7: For example with this visit callan Clancy seven month old mail here with mom for bilateral bilateral air pulling and festiness. So is that typical in the medical records where you'll document the patient being seen, the age, who they're there with, and what the issue is. Yes, okay, And how do you get a history, say, when a kid comes in and they're sick, how do you get the history of their symptoms and what's going on with them?
Speaker 22: So we usually do a brief review in the chart just to know what their anything on their so called problem list meant for medical conditions, and then in the room we ask the parents the story. In pediatrics, usually we have to rely on a.
Speaker 7: Guardian, especially when it's it's like a seven month old who can't speak for themselves. So it would be whichever parents A person is there giving you their concerns and the symptoms and communicating with what's about what's going on? Yes, And if there were any issues with communicating with the parent present, would that be documented in the medical records. Yes. And you saw Core Clancy on January twenty fourth, twenty three for physical correct. Yes, And as you say stated earlier, prior to seeing her for the physical, did you look over her chart to see if she had been in recently with any illnesses or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 21: I would have done that, and.
Speaker 7: So would you have seen this note when her mother brought her in on December twenty seventh, twenty twenty two, with some vomiting and sore throat. Yes, And again if there had been concerns at that appointment, they would have been noted in the record.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 7: And then as the pediatrician, if you'd seen some concerns, would you have addressed them with the parent?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: And that didn't happen on January twenty fourth correct. Correct, And speaking specifically to January twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, that was Core's five year physical, is that right?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: And sometimes in the record it's called a well visit? Yes? And what were your observations of Coorr that day?
Speaker 22: As far as I can recall, it was a very normal visit. Cora seemed to be behaving normally, I mean, no kids, happy to be there, for a checkup, But I didn't notice anything out of the norm. She seemed perfectly well behaved and mom seemed appropriate as well.
Speaker 7: Mom seemed appropriate.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 7: Did you notice anything out of the ordinary about Lindsey Clancy's demeanor or behavior or interaction with you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: Was she able to give you a history of how Kor was doing and what milestone she was meeting?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: Was she able to answer your questions? Yes? Did you have any trouble understanding her at any point?
Speaker 18: No?
Speaker 7: Did she seem to have any trouble understanding you?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 7: Did she have, you know, visible tears or a flat affect or anything like that.
Speaker 17: No.
Speaker 7: Did you have a discussion with Lindsay Clancy about Cora having some stomach aches?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what was your evaluation of that in your recommendation?
Speaker 22: So we talked about the belly pains she was having it. From what I could tell, I thought constipation might be possible because it's something we see a lot in kids. So I had suggested we try Mira Relax, which is a common stool softener we use, and wanted her to see me within two weeks if Cora wasn't feeling.
Speaker 7: Better, and when you recommended the Marra Alexe. Was Lindsay Clancy receptive to that?
Speaker 21: Yes, I believe so.
Speaker 7: And no for the questions, thank you, good morning.
Speaker 8: What's the timeframe that you dealt with the Clancy children because you took care of all three of them, right, all three? And when you would see the children, who would bring the children to see you for the checkups?
Speaker 9: Was it Lindsay or was it Lindsay and Patrick?
Speaker 22: I think that Lindsay and Patrick came together for one of the one of course checkups, But as far.
Speaker 21: As I can remember, every other visit was always Lindsay.
Speaker 8: And being an experienced pediatrician and being very protective of your patients little kids, you're always looking to see if there's anything out of the ordinary, bruising, anything indicative of any type of psychiatric problems, they may have stunted growth or anything ze correct. Yes, you're always on the lookout for anything else, even if it's.
Speaker 9: Not mentioned to you.
Speaker 8: Right, Did you ever notice anything like that on the Clancy kids?
Speaker 9: Did they seem healthy?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 9: Did they seem happy?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 8: And you know all the times that you would see Lindsay with the kids at your office, did she appear to be a doting or concerned mother for the children. One of the questions that the DA had asked you is whether or not you're familiar with postpatum depression, postpatum psychosis, things.
Speaker 9: Of that nature.
Speaker 8: Would you agree with me in your experience, extensive as it is, that a person can be suffering from postpatum depression he and or postpatum psychosis and still talk.
Speaker 22: I'm not sure it's I have enough expertise to explain to answer that.
Speaker 9: Well, that's fine, that's fine, thank you.
Speaker 8: Was lindsay the type of person to your observation and your treatment of her that she was kind of like? Was she like a complainer? Would she complained to you about the kids being a pain in the neck and that she was aggravated with the children or anything like.
Speaker 21: That, not that I remember now, and all.
Speaker 8: Of the times that you had seen her, Let's focus say on the year of twenty twenty two up through twenty twenty three January twenty fourth, when you.
Speaker 9: Saw the children.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, Cora, I believe it was last counsel had asked you whether or not you made any observations that you would have noted if she appeared to be suffering from any any symptomology of postpartum Do you recall.
Speaker 9: Her asking you that?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 8: And in your treatment of the children and in your observations of lindsay, did you know or did she indicate to you or did Patrick indicate to you or anybody indicate to you that in October of twenty twenty two she was seeing a psychiatrist?
Speaker 21: No?
Speaker 9: Do you know doctor Tufts?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 9: Did you know that after seeing doctor Tuffts.
Speaker 8: That she was placed on a selective of serotonin reuptate inhibitor SSIRA.
Speaker 9: As Oll left.
Speaker 21: No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 8: And again this is Youah, the pediatrician. It's not your job to pry. I mean if somebody, if you see something, you would make note of it and try to help them out. But I mean if they don't tell you, you don't know, right, did you know? If you had to say that, you didn't know that she was then seeing a doctor Paul, and then Paul left the practice and doctor nurse practitioner Jelata.
Speaker 21: I didn't know that.
Speaker 9: Okay? Do you know them?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 8: The only reason why I ask you know them is that you South Shoa Medical Center is that is that affiliated with Southshua hospital.
Speaker 4: I believe it was.
Speaker 21: It was already owned by the hospital at that time.
Speaker 8: Okay, Latasha Duke's nothing about her any medications. Did you know about her being in any medications?
Speaker 21: No, I didn't.
Speaker 9: She didn't complain to you and.
Speaker 8: Say that she had in saw him here and that she was unable to sleep or having difficulty.
Speaker 21: Like that, not that I can remember.
Speaker 9: Until institution, I didn't know that.
Speaker 8: So when you saw her in January twenty fourth, you did not know that she had been to McLain hospital and had been on medications or anything. Right, That's correct, because again she wasn't a complainer.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 8: She was the hell of her mother, wasn't she.
Speaker 21: I always thought she was a good mom.
Speaker 9: Thank you?
Speaker 7: Redirected Jana, thank you do thank you from both called Susan for you.
Speaker 6: I asked you to keep your wish up speaking to that microphone. Can we Sprague?
Speaker 13: Please?
Speaker 7: Thank you? Can you please stay and spill your name for the record.
Speaker 23: Susan freyone, sus An Frni and your date of birth eleven, twenty six eighty two.
Speaker 7: Where do you work Learning Sprouts and how long have you been working at Learning Sprouts Almost six years? What is learning Sprouts Preschool daycare. What age range of kids attend Learning Sprouts fifteen months to about five years? And what age range do you teach.
Speaker 4: The about three year olds to four year olds?
Speaker 7: And back in January of twenty twenty three, what age range were you focused on the teaching three year old four year olds? Was Dawson Clancy in your classroom?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: When did you start in your classroom?
Speaker 4: September of twenty two?
Speaker 7: And did you know Cora Clancy as well?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: How did you know Kora?
Speaker 23: Most of the teachers help out in all the classrooms, so we get to know all the children.
Speaker 7: And did you teach Dawson from September of twenty twenty two until you went on maternity leave later on in twenty twenty two?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: Do you remember what month that was in that you went on leave?
Speaker 4: November?
Speaker 7: Prior to going on leave, so from September to November of twenty twenty two, were there any issues with Dawson?
Speaker 23: He started having harder drop offs around mid October.
Speaker 7: I would say is that typical for that age or is that something unusual?
Speaker 4: Sometimes?
Speaker 7: Yes, it was a little not typical for Dawson. So prior to that he was found at drop offs and then sometime in October drop offs became a little harder for him Yes, And did that resolve over time?
Speaker 23: Sometimes he would have better dropped offs other times.
Speaker 7: But then I went on leave. So and after you went on leave, sometime after Thanksgiving of twenty twenty two, did you see Lindsay Clancy, Dawson's mother. Don't really remember?
Speaker 4: I think I did.
Speaker 7: Do you recall having a conversation with Lindsay where she asked you how your baby was and how you were doing.
Speaker 23: Yes, we did have a conversation at some point because I was still bringing my oldest daughter to school every day.
Speaker 7: And so you had your child in November. And then this conversation is sometime either around or after Thanksgiving?
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 7: And when you had this conversation and interaction with Lindsay Clancy, is that at the school?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: And how is her demeanor fine? Was it any different than any other time you had seen her?
Speaker 24: No?
Speaker 7: Did she appear to understand you?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: Did you have any trouble understanding her?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: Did you have any concerns about her at that time?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: Was that the last time you saw her?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: And you're a mandated reporter, correct yes. So if you had seen anything about Dawson's behavior or about the parent's behavior at any point that caused you concern, you would have had to report that correct. Yes, And at no time did you make any reports about the family or the children or the parents.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 7: When you had that conversation with Lindsay Clancy sometime in November of twenty twenty two, did she ever say anything about and somnia or not feeling well or being depressed or anything like that.
Speaker 6: Thank you cross.
Speaker 8: So how long did you, in your capacity as a teacher at Learning Sports know the clan sees.
Speaker 23: I started at Learning Spots in November of twenty twenty and Cora was in preschool at the time.
Speaker 8: Okay, so you obviously saw the kids on a fairly regular basis.
Speaker 9: Yes, And forget me, what does a drop off? What does that mean?
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, when the parents dropped the children off at school?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 8: And when DOESICC attorney asked you with their difficult drop offs?
Speaker 9: What does that mean?
Speaker 23: Sometimes when parents drop the children off, they'll be a little clingy or they cry.
Speaker 8: Excuse me, they cry, and that would be the child would cry, maybe the.
Speaker 9: Parent either, I don't know, But times so.
Speaker 8: Did they have difficult drop offs on occasion? I guess the dotsman would cry? Yes, how would lends you react?
Speaker 9: Was she okay? Did she take did she seem concerned as a parent? Okay?
Speaker 8: And and Duston appeared to be healthy and happy and engaged, yes, as well as Cora.
Speaker 9: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 6: Thank you, all right, thank you man, you sit down, thank you?
Speaker 25: Oats of stuff?
Speaker 7: Come on?
Speaker 15: What would call Susan Bartolo?
Speaker 6: Lots of stuff?
Speaker 12: Pleas?
Speaker 5: Yeah, good morning, good morning?
Speaker 6: Ask you speaking to that microphone? Okay, keep your voice up so we can hear you.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, come on, thank you, good morning. Could you please tell the jurors your first and last name, Susan Bartolo, and if you could just speak as loud as you can into that microphone. Okay, yep? Can you spell your last name for the record?
Speaker 7: B E R T O L O.
Speaker 4: And what city of your town do you live in? Plymouth, Messes? And where do you work Leaping Frogs Preschool? Prior to working at Leaping Frogs, did you work at another preschool?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 4: Did you teach a particular age group at that preschool?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 4: I taught the older preschool group. Okay, and at Learning Sprouts, are the classes kind of divided up in some way?
Speaker 24: They're divided by age with toddlers younger preschool, older preschool.
Speaker 4: And is there a particular label to the rooms that they're in or they referred to in a particular way.
Speaker 24: Yes, we were Sunflowers, So your group, the three to five year olds is the Sunflower group?
Speaker 14: Yes?
Speaker 4: And can you tell us a little bit about how the day is broken up for kids in the Sunflower group? Sure?
Speaker 24: So some children came in early at eight, and then the rest of the kids came in at nine fifteen, and then some are half day and some were full day.
Speaker 4: And as far as excuse me, your role with the kids in the Sunflower room merrily interacted with them in the mornings. Correct, Correct, And when the kids get dropped off, is it fair to say the bulk of the kids get dropped off round nine?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 4: And does that happen kind of like in a wave where parents drop off and they're kind of taken into the room as a group.
Speaker 13: Yes.
Speaker 24: So the way our classroom was set up, we met them, they were dropped off to us at the door, and.
Speaker 7: Then we brought them into our classroom.
Speaker 4: And they stayed with you in that classroom throughout the morning, correct, Yes. And the kids who stayed for the afternoon, did they stay with you in the Sunflower room or did they go someplace else? No, they did not stay with us.
Speaker 24: We closed up our room, and our kids, the majority of our kids, we had a couple went over to the Sweetpea room, which was across the hall.
Speaker 4: And so are you familiar with Cora Clancier? Were you familiar with Cora?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 4: And was she in the Sunflower room with you? Yes? She was drawing your attention to September of twenty twenty two. What was her schedule if you can work all.
Speaker 24: I believe she was scheduled. I don't remember the days. I think she came three.
Speaker 4: Days, okay. And for the three days that she came, do you remember if she was just in the morning group or were there any days that she eventually did an afternoon.
Speaker 24: So in the beginning of the year she was three days and then went full day, and then towards the end of her time in that room she did one afternoon I believe, and I'm sorry, one half day.
Speaker 4: Okay, So fair to say, and fair to say there were always the two of you assigned to one room with the number of kids in the class.
Speaker 13: Correct.
Speaker 4: Now, as far as drop offs, for Cora, did you have the opportunity to interact with parents that drop off?
Speaker 19: Briefly?
Speaker 4: And for Cora how who used to drop her off?
Speaker 24: Both both parents dropped off, Pat Anne, lindsay.
Speaker 4: Did you see one parent more than the other?
Speaker 24: I recall seeing Pat more, but we took her and so as we didn't really ask each other who dropped off.
Speaker 4: When you say we took turns, you mean yourself in Karen, Karen correct? Now, with the limited interaction at drop off, did you have opportunities to interact in other ways with parents? Yes? And how did you interact with parents in other ways? And that's something that can be done on the phone or computer?
Speaker 13: Correct?
Speaker 4: And were the Clancy's meaning Patrick and Lindsay fairly active or responsive to the dojo app Yes? And do you know or do you recall who would be more responsive?
Speaker 11: Lindsay?
Speaker 7: How was Coorra as a as a preschool student amazing?
Speaker 4: She was wonderful? Was she, in your opinion ready for kindergarten?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: I'm going to draw your attention to January twenty third of twenty twenty three. Do you remember Cora coming that day?
Speaker 9: Yep?
Speaker 4: And do you recall who dropped her off?
Speaker 13: I do not.
Speaker 4: Did you notice anything different about Cora that day?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 24: And what was different she needed to use the bathroom several times more than she normally would.
Speaker 4: And is the reason why that kind of stood stood out to you that she used the bathroom more than often? Yes?
Speaker 24: Because our classroom did not have a bathroom in it, so we would go down at schedule times before snack or lunch, and if a child need to go, one of us would take that child, and that particular day she went several times extra and.
Speaker 4: So between you and Karen, you were kind of taking her more often to the bathroom. Was she complaining of any belly pain or any other issues? She didn't complain, but the fact that she asked to use the bathroom was of note to you. Yes. And when Cora transitioned that afternoon to go to the sweet Fee room with Stephanie, did you pass along those observations to the afternoon teacher.
Speaker 24: Yes, I did, because that was something that you would want a parent to know was.
Speaker 4: Unusual, and during that morning group, you didn't feel it was necessary to reach out to either Patrick or Lindsay to report that, did you know? But you reported it to Stephanie to pass along for the afternoon.
Speaker 13: Correct.
Speaker 4: And on that particular afternoon, were you at learning Sprouts during pickup time?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 4: I was, and that wasn't always the case, was it.
Speaker 7: Not every day?
Speaker 24: But I often would help out in the toddler room if they needed me to stay, and that is what I had done that afternoon.
Speaker 4: So on that particular afternoon at pickup time, did you have the occasion to see Lindsay Clancy, Yes, I did, And did you have an opportunity to speak with her?
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 24: We spoke quickly and I just was letting her know, and she she did already know, but we just spoke quickly.
Speaker 4: That she had gone a few times, so you were letting her know about Core going to the bathroom.
Speaker 13: Correct.
Speaker 4: And how did she respond when you told her.
Speaker 24: That she's She said, I don't remember exactly the words, but basically that she wasn't glad that she wasn't feeling well, but she already had a doctor's appointment the next day so that she would let them know.
Speaker 4: And that interaction was fairly brief.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 4: But appropriate, and they left that day. Did you notice anything different about Lindsay Clancy after you told her that, or in that brief interaction than any of your other interactions with her.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 4: And you are a mandated reporter at the preschool, correct, So if a child were to come in with any concerning Marx or bruises, or was saying something about things that were happening in the household, you would be required to report those to the Department of Children and Families. Any concerns or reports regarding the Clancy family at all during the time that you were a chorus teacher. Never, And do you recall of cour ever mentioned to you during class during the time that you were teaching in the morning class. This is a time when her mom was in the hospital. Yes, And what do you recall about that?
Speaker 24: Just that she was she missed her mom, and she was vocal about that.
Speaker 4: Do you remember about when that was that she said something about her mom being in the hospital.
Speaker 24: It was I can't remember. It was in December January. I just remember that that was it was said.
Speaker 4: But fair to say it was closer in time to the last time you saw her, as opposed to the beginning of the school year. Yes, just to briefly go back to Cora's schedule. I know you say you can't remember exactly which day as she came, but by January of twenty twenty three, Korra was coming for three full days and one half day. Correct, Yes, thank you, I.
Speaker 2: Mister Wadington, no questions, Thank you, all right, thank you and me said yeah, thank.
Speaker 15: You, Uncle Tall.
Speaker 4: Stephanie Williams, isn't.
Speaker 14: It good morning?
Speaker 2: Ask you to speak into that microphone voice? Pull that down, all.
Speaker 4: Right, thank you, good morning, good morning. Could you please tell the jurors your first and last name Stephanie Williams and Williams that's just common spelling.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 4: What city of your town do you live in?
Speaker 18: I live in Sagamore Beach.
Speaker 4: And what do you do for work?
Speaker 18: I'm a pre K teacher.
Speaker 4: And where do you work.
Speaker 26: At Learning Sprouts Children's Center and where is that located in Docksbury?
Speaker 4: And how long have you worked for Learning.
Speaker 18: Sprouts About six and a half years.
Speaker 4: What age group do you teach?
Speaker 26: I generally teach the pre K children, the four year olds that are going to be training five and going to kindergarten.
Speaker 4: And at the Learning Sprouts Preschool. Fair to say that the different rooms are given a name.
Speaker 18: Yeah, okay, And what.
Speaker 4: Room did you work in or do you work in currently?
Speaker 18: Right now?
Speaker 26: I work in the Sweet Pea classroom. When I first started there, I worked in the Orange classroom.
Speaker 4: And I'm going to draw your attention to the fall of twenty twenty two, September into January of twenty twenty three. Were you in the sweete room then?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 4: And how many people would teachers would be in the Sweetpew room with you?
Speaker 18: I was the only teacher in that room.
Speaker 4: Was it a full day program for you in the Sweetpea room?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 4: And were there some kids of that age group, the four and five year olds that would only be there in your Sweetpee room in the afternoon?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: Those kids? Where would they usually be in the morning.
Speaker 18: In the Sunflower class?
Speaker 4: And fair to say the Sunflower class was more academic curriculum based and the Sweetpea room was not.
Speaker 18: Yes, Now in the afternoon, yes.
Speaker 4: So tell us a little bit about what afternoons would be like.
Speaker 26: Basically, they would go outside to play, they would be playing in the room, they would take rest time, and then they would get up have an afternoon snack, and then if there was time permitting, they would be able to play in the classroom or color, do art work.
Speaker 4: And generally the afternoon kids in the Sweetpea room, they'd go until four, right, Yes, and that was the time for pickup for most of the kids.
Speaker 18: Yes, that's when we closed at four o'clock.
Speaker 4: Okay, did you know Cora Clancy?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 9: I did.
Speaker 4: And how did you know her?
Speaker 26: I was or his teacher when I first started at Learning Sports when she was three, and then she came into my classroom in the afternoons from September to January.
Speaker 4: So from September of twenty twenty two, when she's still four into January of twenty twenty three, after she had turned five, she would come three afternoons into your classroom.
Speaker 26: It was first three, then it switched to four afternoons.
Speaker 4: Now when she would come to your classroom in the afternoon, what would she be coming into is it snack time, naptime?
Speaker 18: Rest time?
Speaker 26: Usually would be getting ready for rest.
Speaker 4: And would she be brought to your classroom by one of the teachers downstairs or at the Sunflower room. Yes, And you're familiar with Susan and Karen as the teachers in the Sunflowers. Now, how would you describe Cora?
Speaker 26: She was a sweet little girl who loved her little brothers. She loved to draw, play with babies, play princess She liked Princess Sophia. How did you know she liked Princess Sophia because she would pretend to be Princess Sophia and she always talked about it, and it actually bought a Princess Sophia puzzle for her.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm going to draw your attention to January of twenty twenty three, more specifically the twenty third. Did Cora come to your classroom that afternoon?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 4: She did, And did you observe anything different about her?
Speaker 26: She hadn't been failing well on The teachers from the Sunflower class had told me that she wasn't failing that well.
Speaker 4: Did you observe that of her as well?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 18: She did nap, and then she.
Speaker 26: When all the other children were getting up and getting ready to leave, you know, for the day, she was reluctant to get up off her cot and was still there when her mother came together.
Speaker 4: Did Cora say anything to you why she wasn't feeling well?
Speaker 18: If she just she I think she just said her tummy hurt.
Speaker 4: And so you just kind of let her rest for the afternoon.
Speaker 18: And so who picked her up that day, Lindsay.
Speaker 4: And so normally and pick up do they come to the does a parent come to the classroom to pick up the child?
Speaker 26: They usually come to the door and we send the child out.
Speaker 4: And that would just be the door of the classroom of the.
Speaker 26: Building, because I had a door that led outside.
Speaker 4: So in this particular afternoon, Lindsay, Lindsay came to pick her up at the door. And so, what if anything did you tell Lindsay.
Speaker 26: I told her that Cora had napped and she had said she wasn't failing well, that the other teachers had told me that she hadn't been failing well, and that she was still laying on her cot.
Speaker 4: And what did Lindsay say or do after you told her that?
Speaker 26: She came into the classroom and picked her up off the cot and said, oh, baby, come on, let's go get to usin and.
Speaker 18: We'll go home.
Speaker 4: And so at that moment when she came to the classroom, she hadn't already picked Dawson up.
Speaker 18: No, she went upstairs to pick duson.
Speaker 4: Up, and when she came into the classroom and told you that and picked up Cora, did you notice anything different about her than any of the other times you had interacted with her.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: In any of the time that you had interacted with Lindsay Clancy from September of twenty twenty two to January twenty third of twenty twenty three, did you notice anything different about her.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 26: She was just a very loving mother who cared about our children.
Speaker 4: And did she share anything with you about about her family or about anything that was going on in her household at that time? Now, and you, as a preschool teacher, are and data reporter, correct, Yes, I am, so if you were to observe something either on the child or from what the child said or behavior for a parent, you would be required to report that.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 4: And as far as the Clancy family went, you didn't notice anything, and you didn't report anything, did you. No, Thank you, it's raising.
Speaker 15: Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Right, thank you, me stepped down, Thank you, watch your step come well.
Speaker 7: Called Andrea Hennigan.
Speaker 9: Good morning, good morning. Right.
Speaker 2: They asked you speaking to that microphone, keep your voice up so all the jurors.
Speaker 6: Can hear you. Okay, yes, all right, perfect, miss Bray.
Speaker 7: Thank you, good morning. Can you please stay and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 27: Andrea Hennigan A N dre e A chi n nig A N and your date of birth March eleventh, nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 7: What do you do for a living?
Speaker 18: I'm a registered nurse.
Speaker 27: And where do you work Massachusetts General Hospital and do you work at any specific department there?
Speaker 7: Labor and delivery? How long have you been a labor and delivery nurse at mass General? Twenty five years? And as part of your training and work in labor and delivery, are you trained in recognizing or or helping new mothers who seem to be having issues with postpartum.
Speaker 18: Do you mean postpartum depression?
Speaker 27: Yes, I don't have formal training in that area, and I mostly see women before they give birth and immediately afterwards, in the first two hours after they give birth.
Speaker 7: If they come back to the hospital.
Speaker 27: During the postpartum period for a concern, we do screen patients for postpartum depression, and is.
Speaker 7: That all the nurses that work for the Masternal Hospital Labor and Delivery unit are able to do those great screenings for postpridum depression.
Speaker 27: Yes, we ask patients questions about if they're suffering from depression or anxiety, and if they have any feelings of wanting to harm themselves or anyone else.
Speaker 7: That's a standard admission question. And if these patients respond that yes, they are having issues with depression, anxiety, or wanting to harm themselves or others, what do you do with those patients? Do you refer them somewhere or do you give them materials?
Speaker 27: What do you do while we would talk more about their symptoms with them, and then the first step would probably to be alert the provider who's caring for them, either the doctor or the nurse midwife in our setting, and get social work involved.
Speaker 7: Now, while you were working at Masternal Hospital, did you work with Lindsay Clancy?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 13: I did.
Speaker 7: How long did you.
Speaker 27: Work with her the whole time she worked on our unit, which I believe was seven years?
Speaker 7: And so when you say our unit, she also worked in labor and delivery with you? Is that correct?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 7: And in addition to seeing her at work, would you also socialize with her occasionally outside of work? Occasionally?
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 7: Directing your attention to after Mss Clancy gave birth to Callen which May of twenty twenty two. So after May of twenty twenty two, did you reach out to her talk to her in any way?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 27: I saw Lindsay twice from when Callen was born until January. I saw her in June and in November, and we would send each other text messages.
Speaker 7: When you saw her in June, where was that?
Speaker 18: That was at her home?
Speaker 4: I brought some.
Speaker 27: Lunch for her and visited with her and the baby and Patrick and Dawson were home.
Speaker 7: And how was Lindsay's demeanor during that visit?
Speaker 18: Very good?
Speaker 7: Was she her typical self?
Speaker 19: Yes?
Speaker 7: And how long was that visit?
Speaker 4: For?
Speaker 7: Approximately?
Speaker 18: Maybe two hours or something like that.
Speaker 7: And you said the next time you saw her was in November of twenty twenty two. Is that correct? Correct? And where was that? It was a restaurant and hang on, we met for lunch. And when you met with her for lunch in November of twenty twenty two, did Miss Clancy talk to you about some issues she was having with sleep and in anxiety?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 19: She did.
Speaker 7: What did she tell you about.
Speaker 27: That during the lunch specific I don't remember her exact symptoms. Our conversation surrounded her upcoming return to work, and Lindsay was feeling that she wasn't in a mental state ready to go and take care of patients. She talked about insomnia and some not feeling herself. I believe she might have used the words like brain fog or something like that.
Speaker 7: And while you were having lunch with her and having this discussion, did you ever have any trouble understanding what she was saying?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 7: Did she ever appear to have difficulty understanding what you were saying in response?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 7: Was there anything different about her speech pattern?
Speaker 4: Not that I recall.
Speaker 7: When you were discussing these issues with Lindsay about having some insomnia and being concerned about going back to work, did you give her any advice or do anything to help.
Speaker 27: Yes, it was myself and two other nurses that we work with who Lindsay was friends with outside of work, and we were all encouraging her to get the help and support that she needed with medication if needed, and therapists and giving her any ideas we could think of in our personal and professional lives that may help her.
Speaker 7: And did Lindsay tell you that she was looking to find some type of medication that would help her sleep and help her with her anxiety.
Speaker 27: Yes, I believe we talked about medication and she was going to be meeting with a new therapist shortly.
Speaker 7: And during this conversation or after it happened. Did you ever have any concerns about her harming herself?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 7: Did you ever have any concerns about her harming the children? No? Did you give her some names of obstetric social workers?
Speaker 18: I did after our lunch.
Speaker 27: I recall that I reached out to another friend of mine who had had a pregnancy loss that was challenging for her and had met with obstetrical specific social workers and support groups, and I asked that woman, could you share those names?
Speaker 7: And I sent them to Lindsay. Did you have some text messages between yourself and Lindsay around Thanksgiving of twenty twenty two in which she told you about a program she was going to try.
Speaker 27: We did have text messages around Thanksgiving. I believe the program you're referring to was something that her mother in law had told her about at Selshore Hospital that was more specific to perinatal issues rather than a general social worker, someone who specialized in this area.
Speaker 7: What does perryvatal mean during pregnancy, birth, and after birth. So this was a program more focused on women either during their pregnancy, while birth, during birth, or right after birth.
Speaker 18: As far as you know, I mean, as far as I understood it.
Speaker 27: I just understood it to mean someone who was familiar more with postpartum depression or anxiety, was my understanding.
Speaker 7: And did you also receive some text messages from Lindsay Clancy right after New Year's on January second, twenty twenty three?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 11: I did?
Speaker 7: And can you tell us what that exchange was?
Speaker 18: Again?
Speaker 27: That was with myself and Lindsay and the two other nurses who she had confided in, and we asked her how her holidays were and could we get together again in the new year? And she said, I can't get together right now because I'm involved in an intensive program, but hopefully soon.
Speaker 7: And did she wish you a happy New Year? She may have, I do not recall. And did she tell you that she was in fact at that time at McLean Hospital or did she just leave it more vague that it was just an intense program.
Speaker 27: I believe it was an intense program. I did not know the name of the facility at that time.
Speaker 7: Did you at that time know that she was currently at a hospital.
Speaker 27: I don't recall what I knew then versus what I know now.
Speaker 7: Did you also speak with Lindsay on January twenty third, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 27: I did not speak to Lindsay. I sent her a text message on January twenty third.
Speaker 7: And what did you say in your text message?
Speaker 27: I'm paraphrasing, but I believe I said, Hi, I've been thinking of you, wondering if you're still in the daily program. I believe I said so. Maybe I didn't realize it was impatient.
Speaker 7: And she responded, And what was her response?
Speaker 27: Again, I'm paraphrasing, but she said something like, I'm no longer in the program. I'm continuing to work with my psychiatrists to find the right medication that will allow me to sleep at night but still function during the day. I've had a lot of bad or negative side effects from the medication, so I've had to come off of them and go on new ones, and it's been very difficult or has taken a long time, or something like that.
Speaker 7: And after that those text messages that were exchange on the twenty third, did you have any concerns that she was going to harm herself?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 7: The tone of the text messages. Were they more positive and hopeful that things were going to work out on the right medications.
Speaker 27: I don't know that they were more positive than previous times.
Speaker 4: I believe that Lindsay.
Speaker 27: Was always hopeful that she would get the care that she was seeking.
Speaker 7: So I don't know that the tone was different that day, but it wasn't a negative tone. It was that same kind of hopeful tone.
Speaker 27: Yes, as far as I remember, thank you, thank you, tream.
Speaker 18: Ready, good morning.
Speaker 8: So even during the uh say, the difficult times that she had, she was always trying to be hopeful and always tried.
Speaker 9: To have a pause devout look on her health.
Speaker 18: That was my impression.
Speaker 9: Yes, and you obviously are a good friend.
Speaker 18: Yes, I believe so.
Speaker 9: And you've known her for what seven years? Nine years now?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 27: Yes, I believe I believe since twenty fifteen if that's when she began working at mass General.
Speaker 8: Right, so she was like a twenty four year old kid when she first started there. Yes, and you basically knew her right at a nursing school all the way up through Yeah, so she finally had the baby, the last baby, right, Can you tell us what was her work ethic? Was she a good nurse. Was she a caring nurse? Was she tell us what your observations were. Granted that your friend and you might be biased, but tell us what you thought.
Speaker 27: Yes, Lindsay loved being a nurse and was excellent at it. It was a degree, a second degree for her to go to nursing school. And you could tell with Lindsay it was more of a calling that she really cared so deeply, specifically about caring for pregnant women and women giving birth. She was very attentive to all of her patients' needs. She was very smart, and mostly she was incredibly nurturing and caring.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 8: And during the period of time in the fall of twenty twenty two up through Thanksgiving of twenty two and then into twenty.
Speaker 9: Three, you, obviously as a good.
Speaker 8: Friend, stayed in close contact with her, texting, seeing her dinner at lunches.
Speaker 9: And everything right.
Speaker 8: Yes, and then when you and some of the other nurses would would go to a lunch for example, if I understand correctly, on one of the luncheons that you had in the fall of twenty two, she was telling or sharing with you the fact that she was going through.
Speaker 9: A difficult period.
Speaker 8: Yes, I told you that she was not in a good mental state, that she had a lot of insomnir and she even described it as brain fog.
Speaker 18: Right, Yes, I believe so.
Speaker 27: She definitely used those words in our text messages, you know, as the fall progressed. But I believe she used those words during the lunch. She definitely said that she was in a difficult mental place and wouldn't be able to didn't think she'd be able to go.
Speaker 7: Back to work.
Speaker 8: And she told you that she was actually actively treating with medical personnel. Did she say a psychiatrist, psychologist, or just seeing doctors or what?
Speaker 9: Did she say?
Speaker 4: Yes, she.
Speaker 27: Talked about therapists, She talked about going on medication. At some point in that month of November, she said she had even gone to the emergency department.
Speaker 8: Did she tell you that she was having negative side effects with the medication that she had been prescribed by these doctors.
Speaker 18: She did.
Speaker 27: She did not elaborate on the side effects, but she did say that multiple times.
Speaker 8: So as close as you were for all those years working together, and you guys worked together through the COVID too, right, Yes, is that a bonding experience for nurses?
Speaker 9: Yes, during that period of time.
Speaker 8: Did you ever observe her was she was she a complainer, like, would she come and complain to you or was she pretty much private but would share her opinions of what was happening inside of her.
Speaker 27: She was not a complainer about work or home or anything. But we were friends and she did share more personal details with me.
Speaker 8: And when she was working, would you, guys, be working on the night shift.
Speaker 9: Or was she work in the afternoon or the night shift? Night shift?
Speaker 8: So when you did you do you ever see her go on her phone and access cameras to see what was going on at home with.
Speaker 9: The babies or anything like that.
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 8: Is that something that she would do on a regular basis, staying in touch with the family and looking at the cameras.
Speaker 11: Yes.
Speaker 9: Did she ever tell you why she was doing that?
Speaker 4: Not specifically, okay, to.
Speaker 8: Your appearance or to your observation if you had to be very concerned about her kids.
Speaker 18: Right, Yes?
Speaker 8: Did you ever hear her complain that she wanted to leave behind the life that she had and basically move on something better.
Speaker 18: Oh, no, Lindsay.
Speaker 27: From the time I met her, as a young woman, very much desired to be a mother and have a family.
Speaker 8: And she did share with you that her mother in law actually referred her to somebody for some help as well.
Speaker 9: Correct. Yes, in the holiday period, I stayed in touch.
Speaker 8: Again, you were texting her, and that's when she was Now we know she was in McLean hospital, but she told you she was in an intensive.
Speaker 9: Program, right.
Speaker 11: Correct.
Speaker 8: In other words, she didn't say I can't go to lunch with you guys because I'm in a mental hospital.
Speaker 9: She basically said, I'm treating my problems.
Speaker 8: Correct to your years of dealing with Lindsay and seeing her with her kids and her family, what's your opinion.
Speaker 9: Of her as a mother?
Speaker 27: Lindsay was a very loving, caring mother. This is exactly what she wanted to have met. She wanted a big family. She was happy to have her children close in age.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, redirect ya, thank you.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Almost called Bethany to call us.
Speaker 15: Yeah, what do just that?
Speaker 13: Please?
Speaker 5: All right, good morning, good morning, council.
Speaker 7: Thank you. Can you please state and spell your name for the.
Speaker 12: Record, Bethany decalobus b E T H A N Y D.
Speaker 21: E C O L L I b U S in your date of birth.
Speaker 7: Six eighty nine. What do you do for work?
Speaker 12: I'm a licensed marriage and family therapist.
Speaker 7: And do you have your own practice? I do have a private practice. How long have you been in this line of work.
Speaker 12: I've had the private practice for about six years, but I've been licensed for close to twelve.
Speaker 7: And in your practice? Do you do in person therapy or telehealth therapy? I do telehealth therapy right now. Do you know Lindsay Clancy?
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 7: How do you know her?
Speaker 12: We were friends met as new moms in the same town.
Speaker 7: Would that be dug spray? Yes? And how often would you see her? I'd say probably weekly? And where would that occur?
Speaker 12: Our kids were involved in similar activities, music classes, gymnastics classes, we'd schedule play dates.
Speaker 7: What was her typical demeanor? She was active, engaged, friendly. Did you ever notice any distinctive changes in her rate of speech or the way she spoke?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 7: Did you ever see any extreme changes in energy or weird behavior?
Speaker 12: No changes in weird behavior. But I did notice that she appeared more tired.
Speaker 6: Could you repeat that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 12: I was answering the second part of your question. I didn't notice any changes in behavior, but I did notice her appearing more tired over time?
Speaker 7: And was that after she had callen or before that afterwards? And how often would you see her after she had callen weekly? So still still going to the same types of places where you would run into her and engage with her. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: And other than seeing seeming more tired, was there any other change in her demeanor or personality or behavior. Did she tell you during that time that she was having trouble sleeping? Yes? And did she give you any specifics on that.
Speaker 12: Just that it was very difficult to get to get sleep, difficult to fall asleep, even when kids were asleep, and that it was just a it was an ongoing struggle.
Speaker 7: Did that cause concern for you at that point?
Speaker 12: I think for a period of time it felt normal, but after it seemed to continue and not let up for her, I definitely worried about her and was concerned.
Speaker 7: When you say it seems normal, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 12: At first, I would say for a period of time, seemed reminiscent of you know, sleep truggles that you know I remember having and that you know remember friends talking about. But I think over time I started to worry more and realized that it wasn't improving for her?
Speaker 7: And what you're talking about is it? You know, typically after having a baby, new moms are tired from you know, late night feedings and changings and all of that.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 7: And then with Lindsay she stayed tired.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 7: Did she talk to you about seeking out help from doctors?
Speaker 9: She did?
Speaker 7: And did she talk to you about seeking out medication to help?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: And do you recall any specifics about those conversations about what types of doctors or what types of medication she was seeking.
Speaker 12: I don't know about the diferent types of doctors of the types of medications.
Speaker 7: Did you ever talk to her and she related that she was looking to find a therapist.
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: And do you know if she ever found a therapist?
Speaker 12: At some point it did sound like she had found a provider to work.
Speaker 7: With being a therapist yourself. Did you ever offer to give some referrals or anything like that or did she ask for any I can't remember. And you said that she continued to appear tired, correct, But other than appearing tired as the weeks went by, did you observe her and having any problem interacting with people or doing the typical behaviors that you would do at the events you would usually see are at.
Speaker 16: No.
Speaker 7: Did she appear to have any trouble doing day to day tasks or interacting with anyone, not that I saw. Did she ever tell you that she was depressed or suicidal?
Speaker 19: No?
Speaker 7: Did she ever tell you that she had thoughts of harming anyone else? Nor did her physical appearance change in any way, not that I noticed. When you would engage with her, have conversations with her, were they usually in person or text? Or both? It was a mix of both. And did you ever have trouble understanding her, either in person or in a text? Did she ever appear to have trouble understanding you?
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 7: At some point in time, did you have dinner with Lindsay and a woman named Eron Renault sometime in November? Yes? And was that something that the three of you typically did? Yes? How often would you do that? Probably once every couple of months. Was this the first time you'd done that since Callen was born? I can't remember, okay? And what was Lindsay's demeanor during that dinner?
Speaker 12: She was engaged in conversation with us?
Speaker 7: Do you recall saying previously that she seemed normal. No, you don't recall saying that, not specifically. No, what about her speech pattern? Was there anything different about her speech pattern?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 7: What did you guys talk about during that dinner?
Speaker 12: I remember catching up as we usually did, you know, giving each other updates on, you know, what our kids had been up to, what we our families had been up to. And I also made it a point to check in with her about how her sleep was and how she had been feeling lately.
Speaker 7: And did she give you responses to those questions?
Speaker 9: She did?
Speaker 7: Did they make sense? The responses made sense? Did she what was What was the tone of this conversation? I'm not sure how to answer that question. Well, when you're asking her about how things are going with her sleep and other things and she's responding, is she does she seem negative and depressed about things? Does she seem hopeful about things?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 7: What's the tone? I mean it was?
Speaker 12: It was a serious conversation. I was concerned and wanted to check in. It sounded like she had been able to connect with some providers, And I would say at that point, I remember her expressing feeling hopeful about the possibility that things could could start to get better.
Speaker 7: And during this conversation at dinner, did she ever mention that she had suicidal thoughts? Did she ever mention that she had homicidal thoughts?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 7: Did she ever tell you that she was hearing voices? Now? Did she ever tell you that she was having intrusive thoughts of her own?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: At any point in time while you're engaged with her, did it look like she was responding to something internally, like a voice or seeing something that wasn't there.
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 7: Other than having an issue with sleep, did she mention any other issues that.
Speaker 11: She was having?
Speaker 7: She mentioned feeling anxious. And after this dinner, did you next see her at Core's birthday party in January?
Speaker 16: Yes?
Speaker 7: And at that birthday party, did you see her interacting with other people, and you know, parents and children, as a mom would usually do at a birthday party. Yes? Did you interact with her yourself?
Speaker 9: I did?
Speaker 7: Did you notice anything different about her demeanor or her behavior at that party?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: Did you have a conversation with her briefly about sleep? I did? And was it you basically asking how the sleep issue was going?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what was her response?
Speaker 12: She responded that things haven't gotten any better and that she feels like a zombie.
Speaker 7: Was there anything about her appearance or the way she was interacting or behaving that when you saw her you thought she looks like a zombie. She seemed tired. But there's a difference between being tired and looking like a zombie. Right, she didn't look like a zombie. No, And she was able to engage with you and the other parents there, engaged with her children and the other children. Correct, she was. And she recalls stating previously that at the party she seemed fine, and no, not specifically page eleven.
Speaker 18: How do you look at Hea then?
Speaker 7: And bottom line twenty four and then she's the top of age twelve. That fresh your memory as to a conversation you had with the police back in twenty twenty three where you said that she seemed fine at the party. Sure, yeah, I have another questions?
Speaker 19: Thank you?
Speaker 8: Great so money. Fair to say that you were obviously pretty good friends with Lindsey, Yes, And fair to say that in that regard you had occasion to observe objectively things like she looked tired, she was complaining that she was tired, Yes, said that she was anxious. Yes, I told you that at one point towards the end of time frame into January that she felt like a zombie.
Speaker 9: Correct? Yes, did you.
Speaker 8: Ask her any questions like the district attorney was asking, Did you ask her, well, what are your symptoms?
Speaker 9: And what do you feel like? And what do you you know?
Speaker 8: Is there anything that you can tell me about how you feel?
Speaker 9: Did you probe in that regard?
Speaker 12: I don't remember probing about specific symptoms now.
Speaker 8: So in other words, your friends and you and Aaron and Lindsey were out to dinner or lunch and.
Speaker 9: You're trying to have a good time, right, Yes?
Speaker 8: How was she as a mother to your observations as far as taking care of her kids, being happy with the kids.
Speaker 9: Did she not like her kids? What were your observations?
Speaker 12: She loved her kids. She was warm, kind, consistent, loving.
Speaker 8: And you actually were summons to be here today by the District Attorney's office. Correct, I was, And you actually were interviewed by the state police. That's what she was questioning you about page eleven and page twelve.
Speaker 9: It was a recorded interview and things of that nature.
Speaker 8: Right, Yes, would you agree with me that although she may not have been telling you that she was seeing something that wasn't there or hearing voices or drooling or acting in some unusual fashion while you guys were out having lunch. She did express to you that she was having some difficulty.
Speaker 9: Is correct?
Speaker 7: She expressed that she was having difficulty. Yes.
Speaker 8: And would you say, knowing lindsay as you did, that she was a type that was not really a complainer. She would not try to be a downer when you're out to lunch and having a good time with your friends and complain.
Speaker 9: About her symptoms.
Speaker 8: Now, but she did tell you that she was somewhat hopeful because she was seeing healthcare providers.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 8: And in one of the things that they had asked you about, fair to say that when you talk to the police, you told them that you had spent a lot of time chatting about over this period of time, that she had been having a lot of trouble, a lot of trouble sleeping in that she referenced the postpartum period right. Yes, And when you were talking to the police the troopers did they try to divert you? Did you feel that they were trying to get what your observations were or want you to focus on their questions when they were questioning you could.
Speaker 9: You know, it's a bad question. It's a bad question. I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: But nevertheless, you actually told them that you had been in touch with her. You've been to the.
Speaker 7: House, right, I had been in touch with her yet, Yeah.
Speaker 9: And you knew Patrick. Yes.
Speaker 8: Other than socializing with your friends and with erin going out to lunches, you guys would also text correct yes, and that's a way of keeping in touch with each other. And she would respond to your inquiries about fun things and about kids.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 8: But also on occasion you were concerned about her and you'd ask her how she's doing right, Yes, And when you would ask her those things, she would tell you, for example, that she didn't know what medications were doing to her. But she in fact mentioned to you that the medications did not appear as though they were helping, and she still wasn't able to get any sleep. And further, in the statements that you gave to the police when they were asking you questions about your observations, she did indicate on a couple of occasions that she had obtained a therapist and a prescriber, and she would reference her relationship with Pat and tell you that Pat's great things like that right, you said, yes, I'm sorry the door closed. So in those occasions, did she ever complain about Pat? Would they seem to be getting along pretty good?
Speaker 7: They seemed to be getting along great.
Speaker 9: Was he supportive to your observations of her?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 8: Then when you went out to the other dinner, did you indicate to the police that in that conversation that her mother knows everything? As she told you, my mom knows everything and she's working it out as far as the therapist and the drugs. Correct, Yes, And you still felt that it was readily apparent that she was struggling right, yes, still having difficulty sleeping and being anxious right, yes?
Speaker 9: And as a friend, you were concerned, right, I was concerned.
Speaker 13: Yes.
Speaker 8: Now, one of the questions Da had asked you was that she was supposed to go back to work, and that she indicated that she had canceled that day to go back to work because she still wasn't sleeping well.
Speaker 9: Is that right she had?
Speaker 8: Yes, And those were her words, that she canceled going back to work because she.
Speaker 9: Still wasn't sleeping well.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 8: Did she ever talk to you about work? Did she seem to like her job as a labor and delivery nurse.
Speaker 7: She loved it as far as I knew.
Speaker 9: And then you were at Korra's birthday Patty in January. Is that correct?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 8: And that was the one that was at the trampoline pact right, Yes, and it was that time, and that would have been in January of twenty three. I believe that it was in that time that you were concerned and you said, hey, are you getting any sleep?
Speaker 9: And she was like, no, I feel like a zombie? Is what her words were. Correct? Yes, is that the last time you saw her?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 9: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Hey, redirect, all right, thank you. Let me step down here, Council. Why don't we take a brief recess at this time, so we're gonna take the morning recess at this point, all.
Speaker 6: Rights, Council.
Speaker 2: Any thing we need to talk about before the break, thank.
Speaker 6: You, So we'll be in recessing this time.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 18: You're right up.
Speaker 3: For the purpose of the record, we returned back to the matter pressus, lindsay, is a present including the jury, I mean, including the defendant excluding the jury?
Speaker 2: All right, counsel ready for the jury? Yes, all right, I see it said by just very briefly.
Speaker 15: All right, of course, now it's says, please be see it.
Speaker 3: You run up for the purpose of the record. We returned back to the trial at Commonwealth for us as Lindsay Cuncy. All parties are present, including the defendant and including the eighteen jurors.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you came, well call you next witness, please thank you.
Speaker 7: Kama calls Amy Bevins.
Speaker 15: It's not right here is writing good clerically?
Speaker 9: Please you right?
Speaker 6: Kay, afternoon.
Speaker 2: I'd ask you to speaking of that microphone, keep your voice up if you could.
Speaker 6: Okay, oh God, spray.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Good afternoon, Good afternoon. Can you please stay and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 19: Amy Bevans A M, Y V, E V I N S.
Speaker 7: And your date of birth eight ninety. Do you live in Connecticut?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 7: What do you do for work?
Speaker 28: I'm a licensed behavior analyst, but I specialize primarily in early intervention for young children with autism.
Speaker 7: You could just keep your voice up a little bit, maybe come a little forward to the mic. How long have you been doing that?
Speaker 19: Six years?
Speaker 28: I was a special education teacher before that for a long time as well.
Speaker 7: Do you know Lindsay Clancy, Yes, how do you know her?
Speaker 28: We have been friends for almost twenty nine years.
Speaker 7: So you met her when you were children.
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 7: Did you go to school together up.
Speaker 28: Elementary school and after that all the way up through middle school and high school as well?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 7: And did you keep in touch with Lindsay when you went off to college? Yes, I'm assuming you didn't go to the same college right now? Do you know where Lindsay.
Speaker 19: Went Quinnipiac University?
Speaker 7: And how did you keep in touch.
Speaker 28: Through tax phone calls? We visited each other at each other's campuses.
Speaker 7: And then when Lindsay went to nursing school, did you still stay in touch at that point in time?
Speaker 19: Yes?
Speaker 7: And how did you do that the same way like text visits?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 28: I also lived in Boston at the same time that she was in nursing school up in Boston.
Speaker 7: So was your contact more frequent while she was in nursing school versus when she was in college.
Speaker 28: I can't remember the exact amount of contact, but I would say they were always in contact together.
Speaker 19: Yes, Okay.
Speaker 7: While Ms Clancy was in nursing school, did she ever tell you that she was taking some mental health medication I can't recall. Did she ever tell you that she was struggling with anxiety or anything like that while in nursing school.
Speaker 19: Nothing that I can recall.
Speaker 7: And after she was finished with nursing school, did the two of you still remain in touch?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 7: And how often would you see her?
Speaker 28: I moved back home to Connecticut, so whenever we were she was able to visit home, we would stay in Dutch. I traveled to Boston some like, not very frequently, but I would visit her there as well.
Speaker 7: And did you have a text chain going between the two of you?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: And did you also have a group text with other friends from Connecticut that you both grew up with that you would participate in.
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: And how often would you text with Lindsay?
Speaker 19: Pretty frequently.
Speaker 28: It depended on I think the point in life that we were at, but I would say there was regular communication.
Speaker 7: And growing up with Lindsay and knowing her into adulthood, how would you have just how would you describe her general demeanor?
Speaker 4: She was.
Speaker 28: Pretty a calm person, you know, she was able, She was nice and had a veryly calm approach to herself.
Speaker 7: And during that time that you knew her and would interact with her, did you ever notice any changes in her pattern of speech or rate of speech. No, she pretty consistent in her behavior and speech patterns throughout the years that you knew her.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 7: After Mss Clancy had Cora, were you still in contact with her at that time?
Speaker 19: Yes?
Speaker 7: And just to kind of get it out of the way. Were you in contact with her all the way up through January of twenty twenty three?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: And so after she had Cora, did you notice any changes in her demeanor?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 7: Did you notice any changes in her behavior no? Did you notice any changes in her speech patterns?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 7: After she had Dawson, did she talk to you about that delivery and how that went?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 28: And what did she tell you about that that was more of a difficult delivery than the one she had with Cora, that she would maybe need to take some time to recover prior to thinking about having a third child.
Speaker 7: And during that time after she had Dawson, did you notice any changes in her behavior now or her demeanor now, her speech pattern now? Was there anything about your interactions with Lindsay during that time that caused you to have concern about her harming herself or someone else?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 7: And then after she gave birth to Callen, did you notice a change in her demeanor at that time, no, or her behavior or rate of speech. Now, did you see her in Connecticut in November of twenty twenty two?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: And why did you see her than what was happening?
Speaker 19: She had traveled down to Connecticut.
Speaker 28: We had gotten together as a group to go out to breakfast.
Speaker 7: And had she come to Connecticut alone or with her family alone?
Speaker 19: I believe at that time?
Speaker 7: And you said you went out to breakfast, Yes, was this with that whole group of friends and spouses and everyone that kept in contact from Connecticut?
Speaker 28: Yes, there was a group of us there that had all remained friends.
Speaker 7: Did you notice anything about her demeanor or behavior at that breakfast in November of twenty twenty two that caused you concern or was different than her typical behavior?
Speaker 16: Now?
Speaker 7: Did you have some text conversations about in January of twenty twenty three about some issues that Lindsay was having. Yes, And if you recall when those messages started.
Speaker 28: I don't recall the exact date of the messages, but it was only I believe, one night.
Speaker 7: And in terms of what happened on January twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, how close in time was it to that can you repeat the question. So, in terms of January twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, when the children were killed, how close in time were your text messages to that incident?
Speaker 19: Only a few days?
Speaker 13: Okay?
Speaker 7: And what was that text conversation?
Speaker 19: She had shared that she.
Speaker 28: Had been taking a medication that caused her to have some dark thoughts, but that she was going to or had been weaning like tapering off that medication and was trialing new ones that would remove those side effects and be more helpful in therapeutic to what she didd.
Speaker 7: Did she tell you what those dark thoughts were?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: What was the tone of the conversation?
Speaker 11: Hopeful?
Speaker 19: I would categorize it.
Speaker 28: I remember it being something where there was conveying of hope, and then it was going to be a you know, we were moving on a positive direction.
Speaker 7: So basically she would it be fair to say that Lindsay was telling you that she'd had some side effects in some dark thoughts because of medication, but was weaning off of those and moving on to something else that would hopefully help her. Yes, did she ever express at any point that she wanted to harm herself?
Speaker 16: Now?
Speaker 7: Did she ever express that she wanted to harm the children. No, did she ever tell you that she was hearing voices? No, other than saying that she had had some bad thoughts, did she say anything else that was concerning in that conversation. Now want to direct your attention to March of twenty twenty three. Did you visit Mss Clancy while she was at the Spalding Rehabilitation Facility?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: And how was that arranged?
Speaker 28: At the request of one of her family members who reached out to see if I would.
Speaker 19: Like to come visit.
Speaker 7: And you traveled to Massachusetts and visited Lindsay at the Spalding rehab Center Is that right?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what did you do there with Lindsay that day?
Speaker 28: We made small talk, We played UNO.
Speaker 11: It was.
Speaker 19: A pretty basic visit.
Speaker 7: When you say you you made small talk, what did she talk about?
Speaker 28: I remember her asking about my daughter. I remember her asking about any updates to life events for our friends. We talked about some hobbies that she was doing while Spalding, and then played a game.
Speaker 7: Do you remember what hobbies she was doing at Spalding?
Speaker 19: I can't recall specifically.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 7: At any point in time did she mention the death of her children? No, at any point in time, did she break down in tears and cry about her children? Now? What was her affect during that meeting?
Speaker 28: It I don't remember exactly. Neutral, I would say.
Speaker 7: Did she attempt at any point to harm herself?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: Did she ask you for help in harming herself?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: Did she talk about Cora Dawson or Callen at all?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: And nothing further?
Speaker 8: Thank you, it's right, that's no, you're nervous. Don't be okay, you guys, go back how far?
Speaker 19: Almost twenty nine years?
Speaker 8: And over those twenty nine years knowing lindsay, when you guys were in grammar school, I guess in high school, and then you went off to college and you had your families and your marriages. Tell us what your opinion was of her as a person.
Speaker 19: I knew her as a good person, a good friend, a good mom.
Speaker 8: And you had occasion to see her with her kids and how she acted with your kids Korra.
Speaker 9: Up till Callen.
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 8: And did you ever observe anything out of the ordinary? Did she appear to be a loving person and taking care of her kids?
Speaker 28: I never saw anything out of the ordinary.
Speaker 8: Distic attorney asked you about the visit that you had when you were good enough to visit with her Spalding, And this was when in March of twenty three, Yes.
Speaker 9: And arrangements had to be made for you to visit with her.
Speaker 8: You had to get approval, and whether you know or not, I mean I had to kind of help you out a little bit trying to get through the red tape to get in there this year long with her family approval and that type of thing.
Speaker 19: Right, I don't recall any of that.
Speaker 9: But you were able to get in, yes, to visit with her.
Speaker 8: And this would have been in the beginning of match, if you know, the middle of March the end.
Speaker 19: I don't recall the sacks okay time.
Speaker 8: Was she able to walk around and ambulate or was she in a wheelchair or what was her condition?
Speaker 9: Was she in bed?
Speaker 19: She was in a wheelchair, she was sitting up the entire visit.
Speaker 8: Did you ask her about why she was in the wheelchair and anything like that? No, you knew that she had been in the hospital from January twenty fourth, right, yes, And you knew that your friend had been charged by the police and had killed her.
Speaker 9: Three beautiful children.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 8: Yes, that was a bit of an awkward, uncomfortable topic.
Speaker 9: Wasn't it.
Speaker 19: I think it would be for anybody.
Speaker 8: Yes, absolutely, And the district attorney asked you whether or not she cried, and whether or not she told you about her children and anything to do with her children or that incident.
Speaker 9: You both basically stayed away from that entire subject, right.
Speaker 28: I remember also being told not to bring that up specifically, which at the time I would like I figured that that could be due to the recommendation of mental health providers, etc.
Speaker 19: Who were treating her, right and who told you that her sister.
Speaker 8: Now, how long did you visit with hers?
Speaker 19: Maybe thirty to forty five minutes.
Speaker 9: That's all they have.
Speaker 8: I went, did you guys have a group get together in December of twenty twenty two?
Speaker 9: If you recall, I don't recall.
Speaker 8: Do you recall seeing her after Thanksgiving around that time frame in December of twenty two?
Speaker 19: I don't recall doing.
Speaker 9: Now do you recall.
Speaker 8: Having conversations with her around that time frame, which would be in December of twenty twenty two, that she was talking to you about medications and asking you questions about particular medication.
Speaker 28: I don't recall the exact time frame of those conversations.
Speaker 8: Okay, you were summons here today by the DA's office.
Speaker 9: Is that correct?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 8: You were also on my witness list as well. Right, yes, And when I ask you about the conversations, the reason is you were questioned by the state police back in January of twenty three.
Speaker 9: Do you remember that?
Speaker 13: Yes, And one of.
Speaker 8: The troopers had asked you.
Speaker 9: Whether or not.
Speaker 8: You had any conversations with Lindsey, your friend about medications, and you indicated that.
Speaker 9: And I quote page twelve.
Speaker 8: She knows that I'm pretty open about mental health, that I'm a big advocate of mental health. And she asked me if I knew, like you know, if I had tried a medication. Do you remember saying that?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 8: Does that refresh your memory at all as too? Approximately what time when that was? Would that had been in December of twenty two after Thanksgiving?
Speaker 16: I don't know.
Speaker 28: I still don't recall the exact time, but I do remember that being a conversation.
Speaker 11: That we had.
Speaker 9: Okay. Do you remember where you had the conversation?
Speaker 19: It was over tax meassage?
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 8: Do you recall her asking you what your experience was because you had some knowledge of medications?
Speaker 9: Correct, as a patient okay.
Speaker 8: And as a result of that and being close and good friends, that she had asked you what your experience was and again it's page thirteen, and she would say, how was your experience?
Speaker 9: Did you ever take this? What was your experience with this? That type of thing?
Speaker 8: Do you remember that that conversation.
Speaker 19: I don't recall this specific conversation.
Speaker 9: Do you recall the medication that she asked you about?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 9: What was that?
Speaker 19: I remember it being laxapro Do.
Speaker 8: You recall in your text message exchange that she had asked you about or told you about some of the medications that she was taking, and that there were some difficulties with it.
Speaker 19: Yes.
Speaker 8: Do you remember that she had asked you whether or not you had noted or if you were aware of any side effects of medications?
Speaker 19: I don't recall.
Speaker 8: And after those text threads, and with that understanding, being as close to Lindsay as you were, she then confided in you that she was having dark thoughts, as I think was the expression.
Speaker 28: That was a long time after the conversation that we had had about the medication. I do remember that being the first time I had heard any concern around her mental health up until that point.
Speaker 9: Okay, what point was that if you remember, can.
Speaker 19: You restate the question?
Speaker 15: Sure?
Speaker 9: Let me ask it this way.
Speaker 8: When she told you that she was having problems or difficulties with the medication, and she was telling you that she was having dark thoughts?
Speaker 9: Do you remember when that was.
Speaker 19: Towards the end of January twenty twenty three?
Speaker 8: Okay, do you remember was that in person or was that a message?
Speaker 9: Text message?
Speaker 19: Over text message?
Speaker 8: Did she explicated? Did she explain what the dark thoughts were?
Speaker 19: No?
Speaker 8: And the next time you saw her after that was at the hospital rehab correct?
Speaker 9: Yes, thank you man, it's all hit.
Speaker 5: All right, Thank you man, may step down, come off.
Speaker 7: Calls Christopher Clancy, this is my water.
Speaker 13: Okay, good afternoon, sir, good afternoon, A right, thank you.
Speaker 19: Good afternoon.
Speaker 7: Can you please state and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 13: Say that again. I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: Could you please state and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 13: Yes, Christopher William Clancy C H R I S T O P H E R W C L A N C Y.
Speaker 7: And what's your date of birth?
Speaker 13: Seven six sixty one.
Speaker 7: Where do you live Situate, mass And do you work?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 13: No, I'm retired.
Speaker 7: What did you do before you retired plumbing contractor. Is Patrick Clancy your son?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: When did you first meet Lindsay Clancy?
Speaker 13: I don't know what the yea was, but I believe I met her for the first time at my at the cottage and hall that was my parents' house, and I believe that's when I met a. I think you brought it on.
Speaker 7: That was that before or after that she and Patrick had gotten engaged. That was before and eventually they got engaged and got married correct, correct, and had three children? Correct?
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 7: So I want to direct your attention to the time frame after Callen was born in May of twenty twenty two. Did you have a chance to observe Lindsay interact with Callen?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what was Lindsay like with Callen?
Speaker 13: She was very mothering?
Speaker 7: And was she detective?
Speaker 13: I would say yes, like any mother would be.
Speaker 7: Do you recall describing her previously as very protective of him?
Speaker 13: I would say that she was very protective of him.
Speaker 7: Would she in terms of how protective she was of Callen versus Dawson and Cora? Was she more less or the same?
Speaker 13: I would say she was more of the same When the babies were little, you know, when the babies were young, so was.
Speaker 7: That something typical when she would have one of the children should be very protective when they were first born.
Speaker 13: Yes, I think that's like any of the mother though.
Speaker 7: And how often would you see the family?
Speaker 13: We saw them regularly. They lived not too far from us. They lived in Weymouth first and we saw them.
Speaker 7: Regularly, and then eventually they moved to Duxbury. Yes, And directing your attention to the time frame between November sixth teenth, twenty twenty two and Thanksgiving of that year, did you see them at your house?
Speaker 13: I think we were. I think they did come up to our house one time once, might have been a Saturday or Sunday.
Speaker 7: And why did they come over that day?
Speaker 13: I think they just came over to say hi?
Speaker 7: And what was the what was Lindsay's demeanor that day?
Speaker 13: Very good?
Speaker 7: And was there any difference in her behavior or speech pattern than what you've seen with her previously?
Speaker 9: Not that day?
Speaker 7: And how was that visit?
Speaker 13: Very good?
Speaker 7: Did you then see them at or around Thanksgiving?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 13: We did?
Speaker 7: And where was that?
Speaker 13: That was at my daughter Laura's house Hamilton.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry I didn't be in the Hamilton And did you interact with Lindsay that day. Yes, what was her demeanor that day?
Speaker 13: Seemed a little how do you say it? Let me think for a minute. She seemed quiet. She seemed quiet.
Speaker 7: And did she seem to interact with everyone there as she normally would?
Speaker 13: Yeah, she was very close with my daughters and her sister in law.
Speaker 7: Do you recall them wearing coordinating shirts that day?
Speaker 13: I think so.
Speaker 7: And during dinner that day, did you make observations of Lindsey getting the kids settled down for dinner?
Speaker 13: I did?
Speaker 7: And did you see her interact with Dawson?
Speaker 13: Yes? I did?
Speaker 7: And can you describe that interaction please?
Speaker 13: She was getting a little frustrated. Dawson was being a little silly and she was trying to get them to sit down, and she was just a little bit getting frustrated with them, and I noticed it, so I got up to help her.
Speaker 7: And when you saw her getting frustrated with him, did you see her do something to get him seated?
Speaker 13: She took him by the arm to get him seated. It wasn't anything crazy.
Speaker 7: It's not like she hit him or anything like that. No, she just took his arm and guided him to the seat. Is correct?
Speaker 9: Correct?
Speaker 7: But you could see that she was frustrated. I could, and so you stepped in to help her?
Speaker 13: Right? Correct?
Speaker 7: And what did you do to help?
Speaker 13: I got a replate. I believe there were a lot of people, so it was just a little chaotic.
Speaker 7: Now directing your attention to the weekend before Christmas twenty twenty two. Did you stop by their home that weekend?
Speaker 13: I believe we did.
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And who was there?
Speaker 13: Her parents?
Speaker 7: So it would be Lindsay's parents, Lindsay Patrick, and the kids.
Speaker 13: Yes.
Speaker 7: And were you by yourself or.
Speaker 13: With your wife? I was with my wife.
Speaker 7: And was there a specific point for everyone stopping by and gathering that day?
Speaker 13: Uh? I don't I don't.
Speaker 7: Recall that, Okay, were you and your wife checking in or helping out that day?
Speaker 13: We might have just been going down to check on things.
Speaker 7: Did you know that there were some struggles going on at that point?
Speaker 13: I did?
Speaker 7: And did you know that Lindsay was specifically Lindsay was having some struggles at that point?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: Did you stop by again a few nights before Christmas?
Speaker 23: Uh?
Speaker 13: I thought that's the night you were talking about. Yes, I guess we did.
Speaker 7: And when you stopped by the night before Christmas, do you recall who was there that day?
Speaker 13: I think the same people, but I'm not positive.
Speaker 7: So Lindsay's parents, Lindsay Patrick, and the kids.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what was Lindsay's demeanor that day?
Speaker 13: It was okay, it wasn't terrible.
Speaker 7: Do you recall testifying previously and saying that she seemed like she was in good spirits?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: Would that be accurate?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: And when you were there at the house that day, did you make plans for the following day for Christmas Day?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 13: We made plans to go to Mass.
Speaker 7: And who was going to go to Mass?
Speaker 13: Lindsay Patrick, the kids, my wife Sue and me?
Speaker 7: And did you all well straight that the following day on Christmas? Did you go over to Lindsay's home before going to Mass?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: Okay, did you all gather for breakfast?
Speaker 13: I don't recall.
Speaker 7: And giving me approach on page thirty three if you even just free to yourself lies.
Speaker 13: And then okay, all right?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: So did you for breakfast?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: And how was Lindsay's demeanor that day?
Speaker 13: It was good. She looked beautiful, she had a beautiful dress on.
Speaker 7: And do you recall saying previously she seemed very happy?
Speaker 13: That day, Yes, she did.
Speaker 7: And after breakfast, did did everyone go to church as planned?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: And how are the children in church?
Speaker 13: Fantastic?
Speaker 7: Very well? Behaved, very well. And then after church did you have a conversation with Lindsay outside of the church?
Speaker 13: I think we talked a little bit. I don't remember what we said. We were going on separate ways.
Speaker 7: Do you recall saying previously that Lindsay said she was glad she came and she really loved it.
Speaker 13: Yes.
Speaker 7: What was her demeanor while she was engaging with you after mass?
Speaker 13: She was quiet. She said that she liked the mass and she was really happy that she went.
Speaker 7: And do you recall saying before that, Strit that do you recall after that conversation you guys hunt each other and went your separate ways?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: Did you see the family again after Christmas?
Speaker 13: I'm not sure. I'm not sure.
Speaker 7: Did you go to Kor's birthday party?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 7: Was it more of a kid's gathering at a trampoline place.
Speaker 13: That's what I heard. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 7: Did you have plans to see them Tuesday, January twenty fourth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 7: Do you recall saying previously that there were plans to get together for dinner that night, but they changed because your wife had plans with her brother.
Speaker 13: No, we never had plans to go with that Tuesday night. They asked us to come to the Tuesday night, but we already had plans with Sue's sister Joan.
Speaker 7: Okay, So they weren't set plans. But you were asked to come to their house that night. Yeah, okay, and then you couldn't couldn't go because you had other plans.
Speaker 13: Right, We're going to make it for Friday.
Speaker 7: Thank you for clarifying that. In terms of your interaction with Lindsay and Patrick and the kids, while there were some struggles going on, did you and your wife offer to take the kids to your house overnight to kind of give them a break?
Speaker 13: I did mention that to my son.
Speaker 7: And was that offered? Declined?
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 7: And going back to Thanksgiving of twenty twenty two, when you were interacting with Lindsay, I think you you previously said that she her demeanor was good, she was quiet. Did you also say at one point she had a little blankness to her at times.
Speaker 13: She seemed two at times.
Speaker 7: And can you tell us like what that was? Just like a stare kind of staring off into the distance, distracted, No.
Speaker 13: Just not totally interacting, you know, it's sort of okay.
Speaker 7: So so at some points almost.
Speaker 13: Like nervous, kind of like nerves almost just like you know, something like that.
Speaker 7: Okay, So at some points she was staring a little bit, seemed a little nervous, but then in other times she was interacting with everyone as she normally would pretty much.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 7: You mentioned earlier when you were talking about Lindsay having a little bit of difficulty getting Dawson seated at Thanksgiving that he was being a little silly. Was that typical for him to behave in that way?
Speaker 13: Yeah, he was a handful, but he was good. He's a good boy.
Speaker 7: Going back to the night of January twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, at some point in time that night, did you get a phone call from Patrick On in January January twenty fourth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 13: Three, Yes, God, yes we did.
Speaker 7: And what was his demeanor during that call?
Speaker 13: Is this the night of the Yes, okay, yes.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 13: It was terrible.
Speaker 7: And did you and your wife leave your home and head to the hospital to be with him?
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you, I'm sure you're ready.
Speaker 15: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Definitely, definitely, mister Clancy. Just a couple of questions. You were you were summonsed to be here by the DA is that correct?
Speaker 13: Correct?
Speaker 8: And you gave statements to whoever wanted statements.
Speaker 9: You were very cooperative with the investigation, is that right?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 8: And being as you obviously grandfather and father of Pat over the years from the time they were dating, engaged, married kids, you and your wife were pretty close with both of.
Speaker 9: Them, were you not?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 8: Do you have an opinion as to how Lindsay was as a mother that you could see.
Speaker 13: She was very, very good, She said them great, She did a lot of things with them. They did like the all American family.
Speaker 8: And justic attorney had asked you about Thanksgiving of twenty two, November sixteenth of twenty two, and she made reference I think you would responded that she appeared to be quiet, and then she used the term did you know about the struggles?
Speaker 9: Can you tell me what the struggles were? Do you know what she meant by that? I knew, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 8: I think I was asking you about the word the struggles and can you just tell the jury what the struggle?
Speaker 9: What was meant by the struggles?
Speaker 13: I knew she was having a hard time sleeping. I knew she just didn't feel well. I know she had gone to the emergency room and my where my wife was working those types of struggles.
Speaker 8: And just so for the obviously for the record, your wife would be Sue. Yes, and she's a nurse labor and delivery it south Shore.
Speaker 13: Yes.
Speaker 8: And did Lindsay confide to your knowledge, yes or no, to your wife about some of her issues as a result of which your wife referred her to a person to speak to.
Speaker 13: Yes.
Speaker 9: Do you know who that person was?
Speaker 13: I don't remember the person's name.
Speaker 8: Would that be the south Shore Perry Natle I think is what it's called.
Speaker 13: Yes.
Speaker 8: And understanding that you're the father in law, would you agree that the two of you, you and Lindsay had a pretty good relationship, Yes, very good. And you told us about November sixteenth, and then Thanksgiving of twenty two and then up until Christmas and then after Christmas and the timeframe actually right up to January twenty fourth. You guys were supposed to get together that night, right.
Speaker 13: Correct, Well, no, we weren't. We were asked to come to dinner that you.
Speaker 9: Had other plans.
Speaker 13: We had other plans.
Speaker 8: Okay, Justic Attorney asked you about on a number of occasions about the time at your home. I think it was on Thanksgiving when Dawson was acting a little rambunctious or silly, and that she guided him to his See your opinion of what you could observe.
Speaker 9: Did you believe that she was being abusive to him at all?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 9: And you know her mother.
Speaker 8: And father as well, correct, And the four of you, the in laws from both sides, You and your wife.
Speaker 9: Sue, and Lindsay's.
Speaker 8: Mother and father both were all kind of pulling together to try to help this young couple out during that timeframe, right, Yes, And your son Patrick, he was very concerned about his wife, was he not? He was, and he confided in you were on a number of occasions. Yes, I'm sorry, sir, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Come on, all right, thank you, sir, he said, down, thank you?
Speaker 6: Come well? Did I see you over here? Just scheduled the.
Speaker 2: Next witness for a couple of minutes, and we're going to break till two o'clock.
Speaker 5: So I'm going to ask you to be ready to come back here at two o'clock.
Speaker 2: Same instructions I've been giving you the whole time during the break, don't talk about this case.
Speaker 5: So anyway, don't do any research about this.
Speaker 2: Don't look into anything about this case or any similar cases.
Speaker 5: H and I'll see you at two o'clock if you have a nice break.
Speaker 2: So we'll be in recess on this matter till two o'clock.
Speaker 3: For the purpose of the For the purpose of the record, we returned back to the record for the and the matter of CommonWell for us as Lindsay Clancy. All Pott is a present, including this Clancy, excluding the jury.
Speaker 6: All right, Council be ready for the jury.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, okay, all right, this.
Speaker 15: Course now session, please me see this.
Speaker 7: Good afternoon, you're on.
Speaker 3: For the purpose of the record, we returned back to the trial of Commonwealth for us as Lindsay Clancy. All parties are present, including the including a teen jers and.
Speaker 2: Thank you it was a jury. Good afternoon. We're going to return to the case at Tony Sprague.
Speaker 7: If you're on a como called Kyle Carney, good sir, excuse me?
Speaker 9: Sure?
Speaker 5: Hi, Good afternoon, sir, Yes, counsel, go ahead, thank.
Speaker 7: You, Good afternoon. Can you please stay and spell your name for the record.
Speaker 29: Kyle Karney O K Y O E C A R N E Y and your date of birth please July sixth, nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 7: And what town do you live in Duxbury? What do you do for work?
Speaker 25: Work in finance?
Speaker 7: And are you married?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: Who's your wife Sarah Carney? And you have children? Yes? Does your family or did your family know the Clancy family?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: And did you know them through your friendship with Patrick Clancy?
Speaker 25: Yes?
Speaker 7: When did you meet Patrick Clancy.
Speaker 25: Two thousand and nine and how did you meet We went to college together.
Speaker 7: And after going through college together, did you remain friends after school?
Speaker 25: Yes?
Speaker 7: And eventually did you end up living in Duxbury at the same time Patrick and his family lived in Duxbury?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: When did you meet Lindsay Clancy.
Speaker 25: Maybe twelve years ago?
Speaker 7: Did you meet them before they were married? Did you meet Lindsay before she married Patrick?
Speaker 25: Yes?
Speaker 7: Okay, and then obviously you knew them after they got married and as they had their children.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 7: How often would you see Patrick and his family while you were both living in.
Speaker 29: Duxbury maybe every other month?
Speaker 7: And would you interact with Lindsay Clancy during those gatherings?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what was her typical demeanor?
Speaker 25: Kind caring.
Speaker 7: Did you ever see any changes, significant changes in her behavior or demeanor when you would interact with her?
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 7: Did you notice any changes in Lindsay Clancy after the birth of Cora or Dawson, No, directing your attention to after Callum Clancy was born. Did you interact with the Clancy family that summer?
Speaker 25: Yes?
Speaker 7: And how so.
Speaker 29: Beach dinners. It's hard to recall exactly.
Speaker 7: So you said beach dinners. Is that what you said?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: So basically family is gathering together at the beach, having dinner, interacting with each other.
Speaker 18: Is that right?
Speaker 25: Sure?
Speaker 7: How often would you do that during the summer of twenty twenty two?
Speaker 29: I couldn't tell you exactly more than once, Yeah, like at least monthly.
Speaker 7: Did you also go fishing with Patrick during that time?
Speaker 15: Yes?
Speaker 7: Over the summer of twenty twenty two, did you notice any differences in Lindsay Clancy's demeanor or behavior.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 7: Throughout the fall of twenty twenty two into the beginning of January twenty twenty three, would you see Patrick Clancy?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 7: How often did you see them again?
Speaker 6: Maybe?
Speaker 25: Once a month? Maybe?
Speaker 7: And directing your attention to Sunday, January twenty second, twenty twenty three, did you have a small gathering at your home?
Speaker 25: Yes, their family came over to my house.
Speaker 7: And when you say their family, are you talking about Patrick Clancy and Lindsay.
Speaker 25: Clancy and Cora and Dawson too.
Speaker 7: Callen didn't join them.
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 7: Was he home with Lindsay's parents?
Speaker 15: Yes?
Speaker 7: And what was the purpose of gathering that day?
Speaker 25: Socialize? It was a nice day out.
Speaker 29: I was having a fire to burn some brush in my backyard and thought it'd be nice to invite them to come over and get the kids out and enjoy a nice day.
Speaker 7: And what was Lindsay's demeanor that day?
Speaker 25: Is it quieter than normal?
Speaker 7: And do you recall saying previously that the weekend was fairly normal, that Lindsay had always been a little tough to get a beat on kind of quiet. But you were in the kitchen talking and it seemed normal.
Speaker 29: I mean, in the kitchen, we had a conversation and that was normal normal, Okay.
Speaker 7: Do you recall describing the day previously as a perfectly normal afternoon, really.
Speaker 15: Nice it was?
Speaker 30: It was a nice day, yeah, And so there was nothing out of the normal that happened that day in terms of Lindsay's behavior or demeanor.
Speaker 25: Her behavior demeanor appeared normal.
Speaker 7: Did you have any problems communicating with her when you had conversation in the kitchen?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 7: How long was the family there at your house that day?
Speaker 25: Maybe a few hours?
Speaker 7: And during that time I believe you described it previously as a normal, great day. Would that be accurate?
Speaker 9: Yes, thank you, it's rington. I have no questions. Thank you, sir.
Speaker 5: Fine, Thank you, sir. If you stip down, thank you, thank.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 4: Call Andrew next business, Thank you, Anthidon, sir, thank you, Good afternoon, sir. Can you tell the jurors your first and last name, Andrew? Can you please spell your last name for the record, C h I A c h IO. And what do you do for work?
Speaker 17: I work for the state Police?
Speaker 4: And how long have you been with the state Police.
Speaker 16: Since December of twenty thirteen.
Speaker 4: And what's your current assignment.
Speaker 16: I work for the Plymouth County State Police Detective Unit.
Speaker 4: How long have you been with the State Police Detective Unit five years? And what's your current rank?
Speaker 9: Sodeant.
Speaker 4: I'm going to draw your attention back to January twenty fourth of the year twenty twenty three, were you still working for the State Police detective unit with the District Attorney's Office, then yes. And do you recall being called into an investigation in regards to an incident that had happened in the town of Duxbury on January twenty fourth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: Were you assigned as the case officer for that investigation at that time? No, but you're aware that a number of the other troopers in your unit were all called out to do different parts of the investigation.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 4: Do you recall if you actually went first to forty seven Summer.
Speaker 17: Street, Yes, I did.
Speaker 4: Did were you quickly assigned to go someplace else and do some follow up investigation? And one of the places that you went on that night was the CVS in Kingston?
Speaker 7: Correct?
Speaker 9: Correct?
Speaker 4: That would have been at one eighty nine Summer Street.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 4: Why were you asked to go to the CBS in Kingston.
Speaker 17: To obtain surveillance video?
Speaker 4: And had you learned information that the one of the homeowners, the Patrick Clancy, might have visited that location earlier in the evening?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: And so when you got to the CBS, did you contact somebody in the store in order to try to determine whether there was surveillance. Yes, And did you speak with an employee there? Do you recall who you spoke.
Speaker 16: To, Angela Crouse here's the manager.
Speaker 4: Were you able to get access to the surveillance at that time?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: And were you able to observe the time on the surveillance at the store as it pertains to real time?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: So tell us how you determine whether the time was accurate.
Speaker 16: We look at the live feed and I compare it with my cell.
Speaker 4: Phone, and your cell phone is a department it should cell phone?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: Did you notice any discrepancies in the time stamps?
Speaker 9: I did not.
Speaker 4: And after viewing the video surveillance there at CVS, were you able to see Patrick Clancy in the store at CVS?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: And fair to say you were able to track that he arrived at seventeen thirty two thirty two and exited the store at seventeen thirty seven zero eight. Yes, at some point where you also asked to look for surveillance at a different location. I was what was the second location, the.
Speaker 17: Three V restaurant?
Speaker 4: And where is that located in Plymouth? And fair to say it's the address there's ten Cordage Park Circle. Yes, what is three V a restaurant, okay, And why did you go there surveillance video? Again, based on information that you had available to you, did you believe that Patrick Clancy had visited that location earlier in the evening of January twenty fourth, Yes, And when you went to the three V restaurant, did you speak with two employees there?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: Were you able to access the video surveillance I was? And while at the restaurant, were you able to confirm Patrick Clancy on their video surveillance? Yes, Now, as far as their video surveillance time stamps three able to observe the time stamps at that location, I was. And did you notice any discrepancies about the time?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: And what did you do to confirm the time?
Speaker 16: I compared the live feed with my cell phone?
Speaker 4: Fair to say you were able to determine that the video surveillance did confirm Patrick Clancy arriving at seventeen fifty four fourteen, that he paid for a bag of food, and he left the store by the front door at seventeen fifty five oh one. Yes, Now, in addition to gathering the video surveillance, Well, let me back up for a second. So on one particular occasion, you were able to go and view the video surveillance correcked at some later date where you provided with copies of the video surveillance from both the CVS and Kingston and the three three the restaurant in Plymouth. Yes, and you brought that back to the state Police.
Speaker 25: Yes, the video.
Speaker 4: Yes. Now, as follow up for this investigation, did you learn information about the route of travel Patrick Clancy took that night to go from his home to these locations?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: Did you do anything to try to ascertain approximately how much time it would have taken him to go to these locations from his home at forty seven Summer Street.
Speaker 16: Yes, I mapped it on the maps application on my iPhone.
Speaker 4: Now do you recall when you did that?
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 4: When you did this mapping of the locations, did it give you approximate distances and times between the locations? Yes, and fair to say, not knowing exactly when it occurred doesn't account for the time Patrick would have been there, or any traffic or accidents or anything like that. But as far as you could tell, you were just looking for approximate timeframes.
Speaker 17: Yes, the general idea.
Speaker 4: Now, as part of this investigation, you also were involved in some interviews with potential witnesses yes, not fair to say, including Paula Musgrove Yes, and who's Paula Musgrove to mother? And you also spoke to a former nanny of the Clancys named Elaine Flaherty Yes, as well as the employees from CBS, Angela Krause and Saraya Sweeney.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 4: Did you also or were you also present and follow up interviews with all of the first responders to the home in Duxbury on January twenty fourth, Not all of them, but a lot of them, so that would have been a majority of the paramedics slash firefighters from the different towns.
Speaker 25: Yes.
Speaker 4: On June twelfth of twenty twenty three, did you apply for and receive a search warrant for forty seven Summer Street.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: And why why did you ask for a search warrant? Then? In June of twenty twenty.
Speaker 16: Three, we were reviewing photos crime scene photos, and someone noticed that there was potentially bloodstands on the outside of the house that we had not swabbed, so.
Speaker 4: To your knowledge, on the date of the incident on January twenty fourth, the stains on the outside of the house were not swabbed and collected by the crime lab, right?
Speaker 9: Correct?
Speaker 4: Did you have conversation for the conversations with forensic scientists at the crime lab to determine the vibe of obtaining additional swabs all those months later and.
Speaker 9: It's already been crossing.
Speaker 2: Allow that the question just yes or no? Did you speak to somebody? Not the answer?
Speaker 4: So, did you speak to somebody at the crime lab about the possibility of obtaining some biological substances from the home?
Speaker 15: Yes?
Speaker 4: And as a result of your conversations, did you then apply and were granted a search?
Speaker 9: Weren't? Yes?
Speaker 4: So subsequently some swabs and shingles were collected from the home at forty seven Summer Street, correct. And were you present when that was done?
Speaker 16: I was.
Speaker 4: On May fifteenth, twenty twenty four. Did you have the occasion to go to the Twokespari State Hospital.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: And what was the purpose of going there.
Speaker 17: To collect DNA from the defendant?
Speaker 4: And is there a particular procedure that you, as an investigator use in order to collect a sample a DNA sample from somebody?
Speaker 17: Yeah, we used a DNA collection kit.
Speaker 16: It has a foam swab that you used to have swab the inside of a person's mouth to collect saliva that's then transferred to a collection cod We let it dry, then seal the kit.
Speaker 4: So the swab kind of looks like a lollipop, Yes, with a foam And yes, and you're trained on how to swab the inside of a person's cheek on both sides in order to obtain an adequate sample. Yes, and you did that in this case.
Speaker 9: I did.
Speaker 4: Who did you collect the sample from the defendant? And that would be Lindsay Clancy?
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 4: Were other people present when you did this?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 4: Who were they?
Speaker 16: Sogerant, Josh Mcalligan, DPH Police Chief Michael Riggs, and Charni Reddickton.
Speaker 4: What did you do with the sample that was collected from the defendant on May fifteenth, twenty twenty four, at the Checksparre State Hospital.
Speaker 16: It was placed in a temporary evidence at the DA's office.
Speaker 4: Was that sample then later transported to the state Police crime lab?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: Now, another thing that you did in this investigation sometime later was seek search warrants to Facebook or what's no as meta correct correct, as well as a particular Facebook group called attachment Parenting for Little's Correct. As a result of that warrant. Did you receive data back from Facebook? I did, and were you able to confirm a Facebook page in the name of Lindsay Marie Clancy. Were you also able to confirm that there's a particular post by the person named Lindsay Marie Clancy or the Facebook page Lindsay Marie Clancy on May fifth, twenty one, to the attachment Parenting for Little's group. Yes, I'm just gonna approach you.
Speaker 6: May I have no problem with no objection.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to show you a document. Is that familiar to you? And is this the face posted.
Speaker 6: No objection? That may be admitted?
Speaker 4: Sergeant Kakio just knowing you what's now been marked as Exhibit two hundred and seventeen on the screen. Is that a Facebook post from the attachment Parenting for Little's Facebook group. Yes, And through the information you received from the search work return, you were able to locate the content of this post in the records for the attachment Parenting for Littles and confirm that it also appeared to be authored by Lindsay Murray Clancy correct. Correct or by the Facebook page of Lindsay Murray Clancy.
Speaker 9: Yes, and.
Speaker 4: Her to say it reads Hello, lovely parents. I'm looking for some advice, solidarity, ideas, something anything. I'm truly finding my nineteen month old to be the most difficult human I've ever encountered. I mean that with all love in my heart, but I honestly cannot make it through a day without getting so frustrated with him. He's not my first child, so not to compare, because I know that every child is different, but just for background, this isn't my first rodeo. Every single thing with him is a battle, and it has been this way for a while, since he was maybe eight months old. I really try to pick my battles and only do what's completely necessary, but I mean everything getting out of his crib in the morning and going downstairs, changing his diaper, getting him dressed, getting him in his seat to eat, getting him in the car seat, getting him out of the car seat, putting on his jacket and shoes to go outside, having him come inside when it's time, going to sleep for his nap, and at night. He fights me every step of the way. With all these normal daily activities. It constantly feels like I have a force. I have to force him to do these things, which feels so wrong, but he is always fighting me and crying about doing these very normal things. You recall seeing that message in the records. I do, and I'm fair to say there was some comments to the records and also an acknowledgment by the person with the Facebook page, Lenzie Marie Clancy, thanking the contributors for their advice.
Speaker 25: Yes, have no further questions.
Speaker 6: It's you're ready to.
Speaker 17: Define answer.
Speaker 8: This would be Exhibit seventeen, which is the parenting for Littles post by Lindsay correct. Correct, And this was back in May of twenty twenty one. Yes, and she was talking about her son, who at the time was nineteen months old.
Speaker 17: That's correct.
Speaker 8: Now, as a state police officer, you know I had to investigate things, right, Yes, you guys must have turned things inside out to find out if Lindsay Clancy was ever abusive to her son Dawson.
Speaker 17: Right, that's correct.
Speaker 9: Found nothing, did you? No, thank you?
Speaker 6: It's all you have anything on that?
Speaker 9: No, thank you?
Speaker 5: Se me step down. I'll sure all right.
Speaker 2: Remembers of the jury, there's emotion or hearing I have to do with the lawyers, and.
Speaker 6: It's gonna take a little bit of a watch.
Speaker 5: So I'm gonna excuse you for today, go back tomorrow nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: One of the questions I asked over here was where are we on the time?
Speaker 9: As all right?
Speaker 2: I'm told that we are on schedule, if not at a schedule in regards to what we told you. All right, So I'm gonna excuse you till tomorrow. We're gonna stay here, do a few more things, and I'm just gonna remind you, as I've said every night, you have to it's an open mind. Don't talk about this with anyone. I don't do any research about anything. If you see anything about this case or any similar cases, don't read, listen, or watch anything in regards to that. I don't do any research on this or any matters that you have. The questions you have in your mind. I don't take any field trips. Don't happen to just be driving by certain areas. Then you think you want to double check. We've done that, all right. So you've worked so hard this case so far. I just want you to continue to follow those instructions, and with that, I'm going to excuse you until tomorrow. I would expect, and every time I say this, I'm usually wrong, but I would expect we'd have a pretty full day tomorrow, okay, And so with that, I hope you have a nice evening, hope you stay cool, and we will see you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: So thank you very much.
Speaker 15: Session.
Speaker 5: All right, So we're going to be in recess until three o'clock. We're going to come back have a hearing on the defendis motion.
Speaker 2: For permission to call certain witnesses, and so we'll have a hearing on that at three o'clock.
Speaker 5: All right, so we'll be in recess, so basically so parties can kind of.
Speaker 6: Get themselves oriented in regards to that motion.
Speaker 2: So we'll be in recess, all right.
Speaker 18: The record we returned.
Speaker 4: Excre the jury. All right.
Speaker 2: Well, what I wanted to do was here are the arguments in regards to the defendant's motion for permission to call witnesses. I know that this was filed this morning, but it's kind of handed glove with issues that were raised a couple of weeks ago. Same at least mentioned the same witnesses. So so I'm gonna hear first from the cam, first from the defendant, they'll hear from the car wealth. I will probably take it under advisement and review some of the other documents. But I want to make this decision as soon as they can, so everybody kind of can plan on how they go based on the decision. So mister Reddington, let me hear you first on this.
Speaker 8: You run, obviously, I don't have to believe the obvious. This is a murder trow, very serious business, and we've all been working very hard on the discovery, which is you can tell is voluminous, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pages of state police interviews and I mentioned you know about with the government. They have cops, they have people going out and interviewing, they have videos, they have chemists, they have detectives, they have local cops. They want a cup of coffee, they can send five cops down the street to get one. I'm it except for my son Patrick, who helps me out getting coffee, all right. And the reason I sound frustrated is that they are objecting two weeks ago because they need time to reviewed, to cross examined doctors on very basic items of evidence. That are there items of evidence. Now one of those witnesses is adding or bringing anything new to the discovery, if you will, and not by way of excuse. But you know, I am a sole practitioner in the past major rooms of a lot. In the past three months, I've had a murder, a rape, and two back to back federal trials that ended one week before we im paneled on this case. I have worked really hard to pull this case together with expert witnesses, civilian witnesses, private investigators been investigating. I provide everything to them as soon as I get it, and they have been doing the same with me. I haven't objected to one thing that they have offered.
Speaker 9: They put an AutoCAD.
Speaker 8: Communtic comuter animated display disc on my desk last week. I didn't complain about it. Run to you and try to exclude it. I said, fine, no problem, put in my pile and move on.
Speaker 9: That's it.
Speaker 8: So to suggest that they need time to be able to cross examine both, I've had trials with both of these prosecutors. They're both experienced, They're very, very familiar with the trial of major criminal cases.
Speaker 9: I feel that.
Speaker 8: They're more than capable of being able to cross examine.
Speaker 9: For example, number.
Speaker 8: One, doctor Volkovich, who is a Board certified emergency medicine physician. His report indicates that he has taken a look at south Shore Hospital. He's taken a look at the bringing a woman's hospital. He's taken a look at the photographs. That's their evidence. That's all he looked at. And all he's doing is basically what all of their south Shore doctors came in and testified to as to the nature of the injuries. In his opinion, the type of injury that she suffered, talking about the injuries to the right and left wrist as well as the neck, and in his opinion dealing with suicide attempts that it's a legitimate suicide attempt. There's no secrets, there's nothing new that they have to prepare to cross.
Speaker 9: Examine him on.
Speaker 8: Doctor Lapisada is a doctor that is well known to most of us, and I've been using doctor Lappisada as fine services for the past decade or longer. I know that both of these attorneys are familiar with her. She's not bringing anything new to the table. She's bringing her opinion based upon their evidence as to the medical records, X rays, all of the rest of the the indisha of the injury that she suffered. Now they're talking about Lindsay going out hanging off of a window and then doing like I said, the spider man, slide down the side of the house. Apparently absolutely ridiculous. She dove out that window, she hit her head, and she suffered with Doctor Lapisida refers to as a Jefferson fracture of the spine. That is very, very very typical for this type of an injury. When somebody dives into the shallow end of a pool, they get that injury. Unfortunately, when somebody, you know, kids are on a boat and they're drunk and they one of them jumps off a mast into the shallow end of the water off of Cape Cod, they get that type of injury.
Speaker 9: Superman, when you.
Speaker 8: Get thrown off the horse six feet high, same injury.
Speaker 9: That's all.
Speaker 8: She's not bringing any esoteric theory to this case that they need time to prepare interestingly enough to bring them a woman's hospital records do make reference to the Jefferson fracture right from jumping. She also assists me, as she always does on autopsy photographs, any indsure of injuries, and it's her opinion that if they try to say that there are bruises to these little babies that were inflicted by her there absolutely wrong, and doctor Left decided it would indicate that these are consistent with the EMT. God bless those first responders, but they were in a panic, and they're trying to take care of these kids and pick them up and run them up to the to their trucks.
Speaker 9: And vehicles, so and other.
Speaker 8: Obviously, the interosis, injection into the legs, the shins, the thighs, all of these bruises from medical intervention. Not Lindsey Clancy, that's what she would testify to. That's it. They don't need time to prepare to cross examined for that. Finally, I have doctor Kandy. Doctor Kandy signed even better than a report. He signed an affidavit and again it's based upon medical records that we all have. Way back when this case first started, the government presented the case to the grand jury. First thing I said to Lindsay, would sign a release. Let the government give all the medical records. We'll all have access to them. Cases obviously going to be predicated upon the medical records, psychiatric records. We signed every release. They got every document and had them into the grand jury. I get copies, they have copies. Kandy would testify to the horrific, in his opinion, failure to comply with the standard of care that would govern psychiatrists, psychologists, doctor Tuffs, who's going to be testifying tomorrow, nurse practitioner Jalata, the other individual from the McLean Hospital, all records that they've had for years, so they don't need time to prepare for cross examination. So weeks ago, Council, after I gave them copies of all of these reports and affid strike that I'm sorry the reports I just got, and I just sent them the affidavit from Kandy, they already have. I disclosed to them what my opinion would be of the opinions from these doctors that would be testifying, and the report carries that out. I suggest to the court that to strip Lindsay's ability to present evidence in support of her defense.
Speaker 9: Number one, it would not be in the interest of justice. How I'd like to hear a DA stand.
Speaker 8: Up and say, in the interest of justice in this case because weeks ago we got this information and we're not prepared to testify to cross examine the testifying witnesses. I think you're even your honor would agree, is a disingenuous agument. She came in and said to you, Rule fourteen matters, and it applies to the government just as it applies to the defense, and therefore you should exclude these witnesses. Well, if I messed up and it's my trial schedule that caused me to not be able to have written reports of the stuff that they've had for years to prepare to cross examine these witnesses, then it's my fault, and it deprives her of effective assistance of counsel, because that would then deprive her of her defense. This is a pathologist, an emergency room doctor, and a doctor who would testify to the standards that would apply to these doctors that they're going to call.
Speaker 9: As their witnesses.
Speaker 8: Which is another interesting philip if you will, where they're calling Tufts, Jelata, the other individuals from McLean, all treating physicians of her that are all lined up to come in and testify against her on this case. Find bring it, but at least give me the ammunition to counter it.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: They kind of go backwards in regards to doctor Kandy. The Affidavid really speaks more towards the standard of care.
Speaker 8: That's right not giving an opinion of chrominal responsibility.
Speaker 6: Right, But I'm struggling to see how that comes.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 8: Maybe, well, he's here's the that I'm using for pxicology.
Speaker 5: That's what I feel. But the reason I'm asking that is.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: In this case is the standard of care necessarily as relevant as to in regards as opposed to causation.
Speaker 8: Do you know what I mean that you think that standard of care does speak to causation, doesn't have to use it as standard of care. He can use it as his opinion as to the first doctor that he spoke to. She spoke to doctor Tufts when she presents with a bipolar one presentation and then Toughs prescribes an SSRI to her, which flies in the face of any rational psychiatrist and what they would prescribe and do.
Speaker 9: He's more than qualified.
Speaker 2: Fact, that's a different question, and that may be more admissible than someone saying, oh, I've found what the standard of care and I find.
Speaker 6: That this violates it.
Speaker 2: If we have got an expert who says, listen, I am qualified.
Speaker 6: I looked at these records. I disagree with that.
Speaker 2: Treatment, I'd be more inclined to allow that than to get into the standard of care, which is obviously consistent more with the civil world.
Speaker 8: And address the actual treatment as to an opinion as to its appropriateness. But again on the issue that they're raising that they need time to prepare to cross examined, I don't think that lies when even if he revises his report by removing standard of care, well.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, because I haven't had enough to This is probably what I'm going to have to look at tonight. Is doctor Condy adding anything to the expert disclosures that have already been making.
Speaker 5: I know there's disclosures.
Speaker 8: He's taking the medical records tops to a lot of McLean hospital and just clementing on the care and the treatment that was presented to her as a patient looking looking for for help.
Speaker 9: That that's all he's doing. He's not adding anything.
Speaker 8: He's talking about the prescriptions that were provided provided to her, the SSRIs, the antipsychotics, the benzo diazepines, all of that. That's what his opinion is predicated upon, which is all of the prescriptions that the government has already introduced into evidence and is well.
Speaker 6: Aware of, right and said, but I know that there was the party's already exchanged reports.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know months ago, and I know everybody did that, and I haven't had a chance to review specifically the defendant's reports, and I don't. Is there an expert who is going to address these kind of issues already?
Speaker 8: No, Doctor Condy was my toxicologist and my treating for not treating, but a physician that would give an opinion as to the appropriateness of the treatment that she received, especially as it relates to the prescriptions. I mean, doctor Lapisiter is a pathologist, she has nothing to do with it. Doctor is Isazela is a psychologist, he has nothing to do with it. Doctor Resnick is a psychiatrist specializing in an infant infanticide. He's not addressing that issue. And Nora is doctor Spinelli, who is a postpatum, postpadum depression, postpatum psychosis expert. So doctor Condy is my expert for toxicology and the care level of care that she received, which gots the defensive if their argument that they need time to cross examine or prepare.
Speaker 9: He's also an exclusion.
Speaker 5: Okay, come on, thanks you, honor.
Speaker 7: With regard to doctor Condy, one of my points is going to be that his Affidavid addresses the standard of care, which is more of the civil issue, but you've already addressed that with defense counsel's pivot that he would then instead testify about the treatment of the defendant and toxicology. Looking at the affidavit in which he outlines his qualifications, he's not a toxicologist. He's a physician licensed here in Massachusetts. He's done a residency in general psychiatry, child and adolescent psychiatry, and forensic psychiolotry, but he's not a toxicologist. And also, it's not just us having all the same records that makes for cross examination to be fundamentally fair. There's more to cross examination than just having the underlying data. It's also knowing more about the expert, being able to look into their publications and their prior testimony, being able to prepare to rebut anything that they might testify to, and where we have this late disclosure which was one week prior to trial starting, that's fundamentally unfair to the Commonwealth. And I think what doctor Condie would be testifying to if it's just limited to her treatment and what was prescribed to her that's covered by the other three experts that defense already has. They all talk about her treatment, the prescription she was on, and the effects those had on her. So I think that would be redundant and it would be unfair to the comal to add this fourth expert to talk about the same things that the other three experts are going to talk about, when we haven't had a chance to prepare for this particular expert. For doctor lac Pasada, what we have is a two and a half page letter to Attorney Reddington outlining her thoughts, but it doesn't say what her opinions are based on. It doesn't say which materials she's reviewed and what she's relying on. So I would suggest that it's an insufficient and report. And again with the delayed disclosure. For example, she she talks about Jefferson Jefferson fracture causing the injuries. Well, if we had this information previously and knew this is what they were going to argue, we could have obtained our own expert to talk about the mechanism, mechanism of injury and Jefferson Jefferson fractures and all of those things. But we weren't told until a week before trial that she would even potentially be a witness. And then we get this report on July twenty six, that's a two and a half page letter.
Speaker 2: Didn't We have multiple trauma surgeons neurosurgeons who've testified who treated her.
Speaker 9: Couldn't.
Speaker 2: Couldn't I want to just ask is that consistent with and that's pretty much from looking at doctor Opposada's no.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure I.
Speaker 5: Would allow in.
Speaker 2: Opinions regarding whether or not it's a serious suicide or not. But she does indicate it's consistent.
Speaker 5: With landing on somebody on individuals.
Speaker 7: Had well, Jorda. We had a trauma surgeon from the Selfshore Hospital testify who said that the injuries that Ms Clancy sustained were at level one and she had to be transported to another hospital where doctors who were trained in those injuries could operate on her. So we didn't think that she would have the knowledge and the training and experience to testify about the nature of those injuries and how they occur. The trauma surgeon from Brigaman and Women's Hospital is with the military and is overseas in the Middle East and so was unavailable. But had we known that this was going to be an issue when they were going to allege this particular type of fracture. We would have endeavored to get another expert in replace of the doctor who treated her at Brigham and Women's. But we didn't know that this would even be an issue until a week before trial. And again, this report, this letter is date of July twenty sixth, and it doesn't tell us which records, which reports, or which which what medical journals are training or anything that these opinions are based on.
Speaker 6: Well, that could be done by voidier. I mean the Commonwealth.
Speaker 2: The Commonwealth has at least inferred through their case that this was not a serious suicide attempt, right, I mean, and now these questions about you whether or not somebody's hanging outside the window or not, and so why wasn't this an issue that the call Wealth could have be anticipated would come up.
Speaker 7: The position of the common Wealth isn't that it wasn't a serious suicide attempt. It's that the methods that were chosen were insufficient to achieve the goal, and the reasons for that we would argue in our closing. I don't think we have to disclose that theory at this point. But we've never said it wasn't a serious suicide attem. We've never said it was a fake suicide attempt. What we've endeavored to develop from the testimony is that the methods that were chosen were methods that would be unsuccessful. But we're not saying it wasn't a serious attempt. And I think the reasons for that will become clearer when the doctors give their testimony. But it's our position that she was attempting to kill herself that night, and there are various reasons and factors where she was unsuccessful in killing herself but successful in killing her children.
Speaker 6: But there's been all kinds of testimony regarding it.
Speaker 2: Seems to be a dispute of whether or not she's hanging from the windowsill or goes out head first. There's some testimony that's been raised with the blood experts, the things that she've even hanging from the windowsill, Doctor la Posado, it seems what they're seeking, he is, is those injuries are consistent with somebody who lands on their head.
Speaker 7: So with the with the court allow us to call a witness who's not on our witness list to rebut that evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would consider that sure, Yeah, And this is kind of what you know, why I didn't make a decision on this earlier. They have to kind of see how the case develops. And this issue of how this injury occurs is certainly it's either been specifically and explicitly raised or inferred in multiple questions, you know, even to the length of to the part of you know, the the the cots and things like that.
Speaker 5: It's been over and over and over.
Speaker 6: So if the karmonwealth.
Speaker 2: Seeks to get somebody to robut that, I would strongly consider that. And in regards to doctor Lapisada's opinion, we may need a wider in regards to but I wouldn't imagine the would take that long.
Speaker 5: It would be you know, did.
Speaker 9: You view the x rays?
Speaker 2: I mean that kind of an injury is probably pretty clear.
Speaker 6: On the x rays or the MRIs.
Speaker 7: If we could get a list from defense counsel on what she's basing her opinion on, so we can have our witness to review the same material MISP.
Speaker 8: Right now, it's just simple, it's just a self shoe hospital medical records. Bring them a women's medical records that have already discussed.
Speaker 2: What opinion, and I would allow then the Commonwealth to present a rebuttal witness if if they seek to.
Speaker 7: And just note our objection. Sure, but also the third expert. What we have here is a letter dated August fourth, that's a page and a half that's not even signed by I believe it's structor Bulkovich. H.
Speaker 6: I'm more concerned with that.
Speaker 2: Is whether or not the opinion is is admissible. The opinion as I see it is he's reviewed the medical records and it's his opinion this was commonly. These are injuries that commonly observed in the quote of serious suicide attempts.
Speaker 5: Serious Yeah, I mean or even suicide attempts.
Speaker 2: That that's an opinion.
Speaker 8: Waxed eloquently about suicide and whether.
Speaker 2: But but but I'm just concerned that that how how are we going to kind of parse out what he looked at a hundred other cases and then we go through into all of those.
Speaker 6: So I'm again I have to take a look.
Speaker 5: That's why I'm going to take under advisement for sure.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean he may have other opinions that we have to look at.
Speaker 5: I think he talked about.
Speaker 2: Some of his observations as an emergency room doctor.
Speaker 6: Anything didn't he Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: More reluctant to allow in band individuals opinion that this was a suicide attempt.
Speaker 8: So they're yes, how sure doctors are able to talk about you know, superficial superficial, as we've heard for a week now, But his opinion that it's it's consistent with what he's observed in his regency room treatment is not admissible.
Speaker 6: No, that's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So what I'm saying is that he can't necessarily give the opinion.
Speaker 6: I've looked at this. It's my opinion this.
Speaker 2: Was a suicide attempt, but he could certainly testify. I've looked at the cuts these are.
Speaker 5: You know, the.
Speaker 2: Phrase superficial, I think that's been kind of mixed up in this whole thing too. That seems to be more of a medical term as opposed to well.
Speaker 8: They basically beat it to desk with not being a medical term until we were able to show that, in fact, it was deep three point five and two.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I mean, if you want to call this doctor, he's gonna say that's a significant cut.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 6: That's that's different than.
Speaker 2: Saying, looking at that, I find that this is a suicide attempt, Just like I there's never been an opinion here that this was not a suicide attempt.
Speaker 5: That's probably something that.
Speaker 6: The jury is now, but it wasn't a week ago.
Speaker 2: Well that's that's good probably for the jury to determine. But I would allow kind of going into the characteristics have already been testified to the so and I don't we need a further what dear on that doctor as well, but I think he listened.
Speaker 6: There kind of what he reviewed.
Speaker 2: But yeah, anything else in regards to those three witnesses, all right, So I'm gonna take this under advisement, but just kind of for.
Speaker 6: What I'm inclined to do.
Speaker 2: Is, we've got to take a look at doctor Kandi's report and compare it to some of the other reports.
Speaker 6: I'm inclined to.
Speaker 2: Let doctor Lapisada testify to the consistent the that the injuries are consistent with basically a fall on the head. And Yah, the last doctor, we've got to take a look at kind of his language, but I would not be allowing in that his opinion.
Speaker 6: That this is a suicide attempt.
Speaker 2: But he may testify as to all the other observations that he took from those records.
Speaker 9: Understood, just objection for.
Speaker 6: All right, and so know Calmwell's objection.
Speaker 2: I'll note the defendants objection, uh and so, and like I said, I'm gonna I'll take an undervisement and everybody can uh renew those.
Speaker 8: Objections standard as to standard of care and just reference the actual treatment and descriptions that you will.
Speaker 9: All right, all right, So I'll take a look at this.
Speaker 6: I'll have this tomorrow morning for everybody, all right.
Speaker 8: So anything else we need to address, just in case there is a problem. Doctor Lapisada has been working with a gentleman by the name of mister Drake, that Drake Laboratories, that is putting together an auto computer animated display of coming out the window the injuries to the next showing the vertebrae and that type of thing, which is all based upon evidence that's already in evidence here. So I just want I haven't got it yet, it's not done yet, So I don't want not say anything about it now because they'll be objecting to it tomorrow.
Speaker 9: I'm sure.
Speaker 6: I assume, I assume we'll have to take a look at that.
Speaker 2: He would have an objection to it is you don't know you haven't seen it.
Speaker 7: So it goes back to the whole position that you know, we have the right to if we want to obtain another expert, and then expert could review that material and you know, use it to form his opinion. This is different than the three D diagram of the house that the camal be the defense was on notice that that was becoming the basis of the measurements of what the house looked like itself, and so that was turned over. This is completely different.
Speaker 8: And I just note that, as I said, the medical records that the government has talks about Jefferson fracture. You might remember two weeks ago or two and a half weeks ago, when they first raised their objection, I told you that I can't know what they're going to argue until they argue it. So I didn't know whether or not they were going to say that it's a fake suicide or that she didn't jump out the window. I had to wait to see what they're opening. Was now, I know I have to rebutter.
Speaker 2: We were almost out of here till you mentioned that b D thing, So why why don't we do this? We'll wait on that, all right. I'm not committing one way or the other in regards to that. We'll see, you know, so you maybe the testimony with the three D, the testimony without the three D. We'll just kind of see here and see where we go, all right, all right, So thanks everybody for kind of buckling down.
Speaker 6: And going through that so we can resolve that as best we can. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: So we'll be in recess on this matter till uh until tomorrow after tomorrow morning at nine o'clock. Thank you, all right,