Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not, I try to be mindful of how repetitive I am, and I know, as much as I have tried to not be so repetitive, I have been very repetitive as far as telling you guys how much I've enjoyed this level of basketball season, what a fun ride it has been so far, and the last few years I still loved college basketball and kept up with it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: In fact, I learned throughout Louisville's really rough three year stretch there that even if I don't have a team that is relevant at all, or if my team is terrible or they're you know, not terrible, but just you know, not not good, I can still enjoy the sport. I didn't know if that would be the case, but without trying to figure that out, I was able to figure that out because I just love college basketball when it comes to wagering on it or just keeping up with it. So this year I've not been. I mean, I'm keeping up with it, but I've not been. I guess as on top of things because my focus is more so on my team, which is fun. It's the way it should be as a college basketball fan, and you want to have some skin in the game in Louisville. You know, I've made an emotional investment as a Louisville fan to where I don't ever need a bet on them. If they lose, I feel like, I feel like it feels worse than when I lost a bet. If they win, it feels better than when I cash a ticket. So I didn't realize that we're about to have coming up this weekend number one verse number two in college basketball, number one Auburn taken on number two Alabama. In fact, never mind, it's the other. Yeah, number one Auburn and number two Alabama and should be a great game that goes without saying two of the best teams in the country.
Speaker 3: But CBS Sports just put together kind of a.
Speaker 2: Breakdown of how often we get number one verse number two, and we do get it, but it's just not been It's not been as frequent as you might expect, although maybe maybe you realize that it's a rare thing in general. But what we have here is two teams from the same conference playing each other. With both teams being in the top two. The last time you had that happen was in twenty sixteen, nine years ago, Oklahoma went into Allen Field House to take on Kansas, and that was a hell of a game. I remember that game just because it was I don't remember it being number one verse number two. I mean, it makes sense that it was, but I just remember this when I saw triple overtime and Buddy Healed, I knew. I remembered watching that game because it was a thriller. But Kansas ended up winning one o nine to one oh six and triple overtime, and Buddy Heeld of course ended up becoming the national player the U. And that again, that's the last time, actually that's that's the last time it happened where you had a team from two teams from the same conference. So Bama and Auburn this weekend, two schools that typically when they meet and it's a big deal, it's the Iron Bowl, right, it's football. But now they are number one and number two in basketball, which really I've be't thought about that. Both have been good in basketball in recent years, right, I mean both have been to a Final four in like the last five years, so it's not like it's unusual for them to be good, but to see them both number one and number two, it is wild, just because I still when I think of those two schools, I'm gonna always think football, and I know I'm not alone. But some other previous matchups between number one and number two, this was not a conference matchup, but the last time we got one in two playing each other was when Gonzaga and let's see was it Gonzaga, Let's see here, Yeah, Gonzaga and UCLA. That was in November of twenty twenty one, and Gonzaga beat number two UCLA eighty three to sixty three in Las Vegas. That's a pretty easy to forget game for me, probably just because it took place in November, whenever, you know, you got a bunch of non conference games.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the other some other, some other data here.
Speaker 2: According to CBS Sports, the nine most recent Top two games were in the regular season. The number the number two team is fourteen and twelve, so that's in the last nine, but overall number one leads twenty three to twenty one. The most recent instance of number one playing number two in the postseason was the two thousand and five National Championship game between North Carolina and Illinois. I remember that very well because those teams were elite. That Illinois team of course, with Darren Williams and Dee Brown. Those guys knocked off Louisville in that final four, and then Carolina was just loaded that year. A one two game has never included these two teams, which again that probably doesn't surprise many people. Bruce Pearl, by the way, is the only coach who is now going to be playing in two games number one and number two. And I remember this game just because I remember it being such a big deal in college basketball, and I remember where I was when I watched it. I was in Lexington at my friend's house who were They were going to UK at the time and they lived there. I remember being there watching this game. It was number one Memphis when Calip Perry was there in Bruce Pearl's number two Tennessee balls. That was back in two thousand and eight, so that was Chris lofton for Tennessee and I don't remember was it. I guess Derrick Rose was probably on that Memphis team, I would imagine, So a big game coming up, No doubt not a huge game tonight for Louisville as they take on NC State. I mean it's a big game for Louisville fans because you know, I feel like any game is a big game, right going through the motions as a Louisville basketball fan this year, I feel like it is almost impossible. And what I mean by going through the motions is like, you know, not to where you feel like it's a chore. But it certainly did feel like that the last couple of years to now, I feel like they could play anybody in fans are going to be excited to watch because we enjoy watching this team play. So in C State, they've been bad all year, They've lost eight in a row, and this really is a game where Louisville should take care of business, regardless of the status of Chucky Hepburn. But we do have a photo from the U OFL men's basketball Instagram account that does show Chucky in uniform going through the walkthrough, So again I choose to believe that's an encouraging sign. It doesn't really tell us anything. He might have done the same thing against Miami, although I don't believe he did because they announced before the game that he wasn't going to go, so I look at that as an encouraging sign. But even if Chucky doesn't play, you should still win this game. I think that's not asking too much. And if they do lose without Chucky, yes, both things can be true. They're not as good of a team when they don't have him, they are more vulnerable to lose to anybody when they don't have him, but they also should still be able to win. Doesn't guarantee you that they do. But if Chucky does play, I feel even better about the matchup. But again, it's when Louis of the lost to Georgia Tech. Chucky hepburn played right, and for some reason, I feel like they've been without him for months, but it's only been a week. It might come down to if he plays tonight and he's good to go and he plays thirty minutes, they really only were without him for one game in total, which again, that would be best case scenario given where we are right now. But I kind of feel like the toll that this injury has taken on me mentally. I'll look back and remember, Oh man, I remember being scared to death that we didn't have Chucky Hedburn, and I thought, Okay, what do I got to do. Somebody take Mike groin, give it to him. He wouldn't be the same player with mine growing His groin is probably a lot better than mine. But anything I can do to help, I'll do because I just want him out there playing, because clearly he's the most important piece to this team.
Speaker 3: So n C State, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure you guys are well aware of the storyline Brandon Huney Hatfield and Mike James, who were here for the disastrous era that was Kenny Payne. They now play for ency State, but it doesn't look like either guy is expected to play. I mean, maybe that's changed, but Mike James hadn't played a second all year, was dealing with an injury, and then he was back to practicing and has since been dealing with an illness. So if he plays tonight, he'd be making his debut this season. Maybe he does, but I feel like, if you're Mike James, you might as well just hang it up the rest of the year, maintain a year of eligibility, and start fresh next year, probably with well I was gonna say probably with a new coach. But if they get rid of Kevin Keats. Now, NC State's gonna have spent a lot of money to do that. Brandon hilly Hatfield did play early on, was averaging you know, double figures at the beginning of the season, and has since not played very much due to an injury that he's dealing with, and he's all, you know, he just hasn't really been much of a factor for them. So we shall see. But regardless of really the unknowns meaning Chucky playing or those two guys playing, Louisville should still win. I have confidence that they will. But I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't a little nervous, just because again, my nerves about Louisville the rest of the way are not going to be about that. I'm scared of these opponents. And I don't say that to mock them. I just mean, like they're not good. Right, So Louisville, by all accounts, is going to be favored and expected to win every game the rest of the season for obvious reasons. But what has me nervous is just knowing what's at stake because a devastating loss.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think.
Speaker 2: Most of these games, if you lose would be a devastating loss and it could really change your resume in a big way. And some of you have challenged me on that, and I get it, you know, Like I'm not on the committee. I don't know exactly how they view Louisville as we speak today, and I don't really know what type of record they need for Louisville to get a seed that's a five or a six or seven, Like, I don't know. We're all speculating that's what this is. But if you looked at Louisville's resume from top to bottom right now, I think the best thing on it is the number the net. But the net isn't the end all be all. Because top thirty in the net with the record of eighteen and six and four quad one wins, only one loss outside of the quad one, I mean, that's a solid resume, and I think that's why you're seeing Louisville on like the seven line by just about everybody else right now. So four quad one wins saying that sounds pretty impressive, but those quad one wins are not all created equally, right. Indiana beating Michigan State last night was wild because I didn't expect it, but that helped Indiana because now Indiana they've jumped up to number fifty six from sixty one, so maybe they can find themselves in the top fifty. That's not even in quad one, but it'll stay quad one, but it could be quad one if they if they jump up five to six more spots before the season comes to an.
Speaker 3: End, so that's a quad two. That could be a quad one.
Speaker 2: But another example, I mean, you look at Louisville's current quad ones are at SMU at Pitt and I don't think you have any real worry about those going away. West Virginia needs to be in the top fifty. They're forty three, so not a whole lot of room for error there. Who else would be? Who else is considered a quad one for Louisville. Now I'm curious. I should have known this ahead of time. I thought I would just be able to riff it and know exactly which ones they are, because it's clear which wins have value in which ones don't. So West Virginia is one. Oh yeah, Clemson beating them at home because they're now in the top thirty. So those are your four quad one wins. Two of them could easily go away, right, So here's something that could make them go away. If Louisville loses to a bad NC State team or like a bad Virginia Tech team or Stanford or cal or one of those teams. What that's going to do is that's going to drop Louisville's number probably more than a few spots.
Speaker 3: And you know what that would do.
Speaker 2: It would make the teams that are borderline quad one now even worse. If Louisville loses to one of these bad teams, that's going to impact in Oklahoma. I'm sorry at West Virginia because they're loss to Louisville doesn't look as good if Louisville takes a hit. So these things all matter. Now again, it's not the end all be all. There's a lot of factors that go into it. But my point is this, if Louisville starts to slide in these metrics, NET and kin palm, that's going to also hurt the teams that they have any real value with those wins. So like that, it's not like a loss here is devastating. I mean, you'd still be eighteen and seven, you'd still have four quad one wins, but I think you get to the point where you're just becomes a lot different with with with a loss to one of these teams the rest of the way, because of all the other effects that.
Speaker 3: Come with that.
Speaker 2: So I try to tell myself, let's not worry about that until you know what happens. But it could easily happen, and I just think there's so much to lose and very little to gain, and you can't control it.
Speaker 3: Right, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Just come ready to play one game at a time and if they do that, they should be able to win out. But you know, it's easier said than done, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Austome.
Speaker 2: When you think of NC State, is there a game between n C State and Louisville or something about NC State basketball that comes to mind for you.
Speaker 3: When it comes to bat, Well, there's two things, one basketball and one football. I guess. I guess the football one is after all the FBI stuff came down and their fans or chanting FBI to it was mar Jackson. Yeah, and did we lose that game? Oh yeah, yeah, they got they got us good. Yeah, that was pretty nice Thursday night.
Speaker 2: It was routy, and I think so the game I think of is the sweet sixteen game where same where Louisville ended up holding on and beating n C State in that it was yeah.
Speaker 3: Sweet sixteen, right, it's Anton Gill game two thousand, Yeah, twenty fifteen. By the way, that was ten years ago.
Speaker 2: That was the last time that Louisville made it to the second weekend. In fact, they lost in the Elite A to Michigan State that year. But yes, it was the Anton Gill game and n C State if I remember correctly. Yeah, they were in eight seeds, so they ended up upsetting somebody to get to the Sweet sixteen. This was the first year these two teams were in the same conference together. This was Louisville's first year in the ACC. And you had a hot NC State team that had Trevor Lacy.
Speaker 3: I forgot about that guy.
Speaker 2: Wow, he had eighteen points. And they also had one of the Martin twins. Caleb Martin played on that team, big bj Anya.
Speaker 3: And uh oh yeah it was a huge dude, right, yeah, big thick guy.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: So for Louisville it was Trez who had twenty four. Big night for him, Roseier seventeen. I mean, those guys really led this team. Quentin Snyder ended up having fourteen, but it was Anton Gill who went three for three and scored seven points off the bench that really helped Louisville go on a run to win. In fact, I forgot that went to overtime. Yeah, they went to an overtime period there and held on to win.
Speaker 3: So that was big because Louisville.
Speaker 2: Of course, you know at that point you're one game away from the Final four, and that's sweet. The Sweet sixteen games are always and I feel like Louisville has a pretty good record in Sweet sixteen games in my lifetime. Of course, the one that they lost most recently in the Sweet sixteen is one that still breaks my heart, and that was that lost to Kentucky in twenty fourteen, which just the thought of it makes me want to vomit.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so I think of that game specifically.
Speaker 2: I also think of Cat Barber just because he was a former Louisville recruit, big time guy, a big time guard, remember him, and he two things won.
Speaker 3: He was seemingly like a done deal to Louisville.
Speaker 2: Then then it was revealed that he was the burglar Cat bart Cat Barbara the burglar stole something from a Louisville player. I think it might have been Tres or maybe I'm thinking of the other. I don't know who it was, but he stole something and got caught like stealing from one of the players, and that ended all scenarios where he'd ever end up at Louisville. And then also he got caught wiping a booger on Montrez Heralin a game. I remember that. Yeah, so I think of that, and then this is just rant. This isn't I mean, this isn't. This isn't a specific game between the two. But there was a recruit that I feel like if you were to ever go back, and I don't know why anybody would do this, this is useless information, but if somebody did decide to go dig up data to to you know, to put this together. The recruits that Louisville fans talked about the most that never ended up playing here and really never ended up being any good wherever they went. Maverick Rowan is on that list. Maverick Rowan, I mean he was like on the fence, kind of committed, but wouldn't commit to Louisville for I feel like months and then sure enough, in the end, he ends up committing to n C State, played there for I think two three years maybe and was a fine player, but like wasn't great. But I just remember his recruitment seemed to last like forever. I mean, clearly he was somebody on their radar, but there was about a two and a half three month period where I feel like, any day now we were waiting is this guy gonna actually commit or not? And he ended up going to n C State. But yeah, he didn't. He didn't have a real great career in the end. So not a whole lot of history between these two. But again, tonight you'll hear about the storyline. I'm sure even if those guys don't play, the announcers will mention that that Mike James and Brandon Hilley Hatfield were both Louisville Cardinals last year. But and I'm not, like I get I get it. This is a very whatever game just because of you know, how bad NC State is for the most part, and Louisville. You know, they're a fine team, they're a good story for college basketball, but they're not ranked anymore. And of all games this week, this is certainly not a marquee one. So you're gonna mention on the broadcast certain storylines, certain certain things, and that is certainly something to mention, but it kind of stops and ends there, because as I mentioned earlier, there's really no connection like these two. The two guys that are currently at Louisville, they don't know anybody on the Louisville sideline, not a one, No players, no coaches, So same thing for Louisville's roster.
Speaker 3: They don't in the coaches. They don't know any of these guys.
Speaker 2: They don't know Mike James or Braydon huntly had Field, and if they do it, it's maybe because they cross pass in aau or something like that. So currently an update here at DraftKings Louisville. Let's see, we have Louisville now up a point. I think, wasn't it six and a half When you asked me earlier it was at five and then you said no with six. Well now it's at seven and a half. So cards favored about seven and a half in this game. It must they must be either feeling like Chuck's gonna play or they're just really.
Speaker 3: In a couple other groin watchers over.
Speaker 2: There realizing how bad NC State is again. They haven't won a game in a while, they've lost eight in a row. All right, real quick, before we get to our next break, I do want to talk about what happened last night at Roperena. Mark Pope continues to win games that he probably shouldn't win. But then again, if he keeps doing it, can we still say that he probably should win? Like if Kentucky finds themselves once again with a matchup like last night, a top ten team, which, by the way, they're going to play some of these teams. They still have to play Alabama again, they play Auburn, so they'll be in this situation and it sounds insane. But you know, if you ask me what I think the chances are of Kentucky beating Alabama in Tuscaloosa or beating Auburn at home, I may need to ask, well, hey, are they going to be at full strength? Because I feel better about them winning if they're not at full strength, because that's what they've been able to do. It doesn't make any sense. I tried to make sense of it earlier. I just think it's a well coached team. These guys never get too high too low, and when guys can't play, they're relying clearly on some other guys that maybe don't have the same role when the team's fully healthy, and those guys have delivered in those games. Last night, you had really a collective effort. But not only did Lamont Butler played twenty minutes and had an impact defensively before he got hurt again, But you didn't have Jackson Robinson. Andrew Carr played twenty minutes, but you wouldn't have noticed him. He didn't do anything yet two points. Amari Williams not really a huge factor, So it was a little bit of everybody contributing. But the guys that did in fact need to do more because players were out, they stepped up. You got good production off the bench from the Kentucky freshman the kids you know, when I say freshmen, I mean the kids who you know are from Kentucky, Travis Perry and Trenton Noah. Those guys made some big shots, big moment for them, no doubt. And then also Kobe Brea. He clearly has a bigger amount of work to do and he's relied upon more so whenever you don't have Jackson Robinson and last night he made some big shots, some timely shots. Otiga Oway, who's been their leading scorer all year, he did what he typically does, had double figures. In fact, I think he scored in double figures in every game. So Mark Pope has done a phenomenal job. Still don't have a clue of Kentucky's going to be a great team in the tournament.
Speaker 3: Who knows what I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't think you really know what to expect the rest of the way with this team, because you know, for those who say, man, this is a really tough Kentucky team to figure out, I don't see it that way at all, because I think they're pretty easy to figure out. Their losses have been to either really good teams or teams that know, hey, if we're going to beat them, we need to slow it down. And really the game against Clemson earlier this year, that's a good example. That's how you beat them, Georgia. Like if you have if you go out there with a real intention of making sure they don't get into the style of play that they want to play, you still may lose, but that's your best bet because if you try to run with them, it's going to be tough to beat them. The only teams that have been able to do that, I feel like are Arkansas, who played out of their mind, and then of course Floor I'm sorry Alabama, who's one of the best teams in the country. So I mean, I think they're actually pretty easy to figure out. They can get beat by anybody if the game's played at a certain style and they're not hitting shots. But they also can be not even at full strength and still find a way to beat really good teams. So their resume is it's a little bit of a head scratcher, because again, you feel like if they can beat Tennessee twice and sweep them, then they shouldn't have losses to you know, Georgia, Ohio State, that kind of stuff. But again, I think if you I think the explanation I provided, you know, maybe it doesn't make a ton of sense to you, but I think that's what's happened whenever you have the mindset of like like, for example, Tennessee should never shoot more threes, or at least you shouldn't even shoot close to as many threes as Kentucky, but they've done it twice. And Rick Barnes is cool with it and that's how he loses. That's not to take credit away from Kentucky, but I mean they shot eighteen threes last night. They made three of them, meaning Tennessee, they shot way more than Kentucky did when they played in Knoxville. And if you are playing them at their game, look, you may still win, but if you end up losing, I don't know. Maybe it's a pride thing. I don't think coaches are gonna ever want to reinvent themselves for one specific game. But man, it's gamesmanship, it's strategizing, and I don't think you have to feel like you're weak and you are inferior if you just know, hey, we're going to go out here and not try to play them at their game, because why would we want to do something that's going to put them in their comfort zone where they're at their best. And it kind of felt like last night and stretches Tennessee. I mean, they didn't take a lot of bad shots, but like if they just slowed it down and really tried to grind it out, they'd had a better chance of winning. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Keep it rolling along. It's coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, the Tyler Shuck fanclub continues to grow when it comes to not just louisll fans, but those that cover the NFL Draft. He did a really good job of making an impression, a good impression, I should say, on folks at the Senior Bowl. And now you've got big names out there that you know again, I think the NFL Draft lead up, in the NFL draft coverage is one of the really, like the most delusional things that we really lock in on because these guys have access, they have resources, but like nobody ever just thinks to themselves, why would anybody agent or personnel from an organization give these guys info only to use them as puppets to like put something out there that is exactly not what they're going to do, right, I mean, I just to me, that's pretty obvious, and I mean more often not when you think of somebody in previous drafts, as far as one of the analysts, one of the talking heads, when you think of their NFL Draft predictions, you more often than not think about how wrong they were about things like no offense to my boy Brian, But like, was it mcsha or Kuiper who said that that Brian Brohm was the future of the Packers and not Aaron Rodgers, Like that's a very memorable thing that like clearly was wrong. Yeah, so again it's more buzz i. Guess can be a good thing. But I've never really believed that these guys are being told by anybody what what's going to happen, And a lot of it comes from agents. But again agents, quite literally, that is their job to manipulate and try to just build up their client NonStop.
Speaker 3: And if it's lie and do a.
Speaker 2: Media member or an analyst about something, because they'll put it out there, then everybody's gonna believe it and then it'll get more hype for your player. Like again that's kind of I think, quite literally, not kind of that is that is their job. That is sort of what they're supposed to do. But the list is growing because it was let me see which which I can't think of which an Austin mentioned that Colin Coward was talking about Tyler Schuck on his show today, which again that alone, is that that tells you that he is and he is absolutely getting some more buzzs. And then it was Todd McShay who put it out there last night on Twitter with some clips of Shuck playing and says there aren't four quarterbacks in this draft class more gifted with NFL tools than Louisville QB Tyler Shuck. There, I said it good night, So I would love for him to end up having a really good run in the NFL and saying to know where, I mean, I don't even know what his draft stock actually is. He's getting some love and that's great, but as far as what round he's like projected to go in, I don't.
Speaker 3: Last I saw was like sixth.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's maybe that's since changed because he's continuing to get more praise and there's more there's more work being done in the film room to see all these tools that he has. But yeah, the buzz continues to grow for Tyler Schuck, which is which is a good thing.
Speaker 3: All right, So last night, and I mentioned this.
Speaker 2: Game yesterday for some reason, I was thinking of it was this weekend, but I was wrong. So Yukon of course, the defending national champs twice. They've won two consecutive national championships, which you know, been a long time since we've.
Speaker 3: Had anybody do that. They I don't think of.
Speaker 2: Them necessarily as like a contender to win it this year, but I'm foolish not to right. I mean, they're still seventeen and seven, nine and four in the Big East, and they're not going to win their league it doesn't look like.
Speaker 3: But they're still a good team.
Speaker 2: And they won last night seventy to sixty six on the road at Creighton, a Creighton team that was red hot, and there was a dollar beers being served at Creighton last night to really have a rowdy atmosphere.
Speaker 3: And I think Hurley is really good for.
Speaker 2: College basketball as the guy who is unable to not be emotional and fiery on the sideline.
Speaker 3: So I have no issue last night with.
Speaker 2: Him walking off the court looking at the remaining Creighton fans that were there, pointing to his ring finger and saying he's got two of them, Like, I got no issue with that. But what you can't do is then cry when you act like that and you lose, because you are on top right now. You are the two time defending national champion, and you're pretty easy to dislike if your team. And I don't mean that in like a personal way, but he's he's always yelling at the refs. He's clearly said some things that we now know what he said to the refs, which really shows how arrogant he is.
Speaker 3: But hey, he's got to be right to be ergan. He's a winner.
Speaker 2: He's got two national championships in two straight years. So don't be a baby and play victim whenever you're acting the same way and your energy is the same, but you lose, that makes it mean, that makes you lame in my opinion. And again I'm sure he doesn't care about my opinion of him, but big he's good for college basketball when he's that way, good or bad, and he should be more into it and wave goodbye to the fans and Creighton last night as he walked off the court like that. I think that's fun. That's what makes this fun. But also when you lose, you know, just to eat it. Don't don't play victim in the press conferences as if they're picking on you. I wish they'd go watch other coaches this closely what you run it from the attention. For you said it yourself to a referee that you're the best coach in college basketball. There's going to be more tension on somebody that is, in fact that good at what they do. But here's what he said last night about the Creighton fans. And again, I'm sure if you're a creaton fan, you wouldn't like this. And I get why people are like, no, I don't like that guy. He's too arrogant. Like I understand it, but sports is entertainment and I found this to be entertaining.
Speaker 3: And here's what he had to say. What was that moment when you, of course it's doing the stupid ass thing.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I now have figured out not necessarily and I'll get it fixed in a second, because this is worth hearing.
Speaker 3: But I now know where. I don't know how it happens.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you use your phone or like, you know, a cinematype camera, then it's one thing. But news report like people who work for news stations that are there getting you know, footage for their newscast. And by the way, shout out to those people.
Speaker 3: They're great. We bring many of them on the show.
Speaker 2: Shout out to our guy Kent Spencer, WHS eleven, Kendrick Haskins, like, I love these guys, but it's it's those accounts that have the video that only plays out of one side, one channel, and it's an issue for us because for some reason whenever it's only playing out of one channel and not both channels or mono, which if you know audio, you know what I'm talking about. It it's it's it only plays for the streamers, like the people who are listening on the out radio. If you're listening on the radio, if you're listening on the tresshel radio like in your car, and we play that sound, we can hear it. People streaming on hour can hear it, but it's just silence on the radio. So when that happens, I got to rip the sound and make it, make a change to it, which I've done here.
Speaker 4: When you well, I just wish there was more people still here, you know, that was the only thing because when I've gotten my butt kicked in here, minus the COVID year, which we would all like to forget, where I think this was the only place we came to that actually had fans that year, you know. But I've obviously had to walk off unceremoniously, uh, you know, just crushed by the crowd, and you know, curse that, and and you know and and but I don't really as long as they're not leaning over the rail and getting in my face. I mean, I I think it's what makes college sports so much better, a college basketball so much better than any other type of basketball is you know, you got your Uh although the you know, the home fans here didn't get the win that they wanted, uh, but they got a show. I mean, they got uh intense game with you know, with so much passion and a life or death struggle. You know, I'm not gonna lie to you. I mean I was very gratifying. I wait that some people, but I just wish that there was more of them still left. There's been a lot more left when I've lost and.
Speaker 3: Did a good job of stopping.
Speaker 2: So I think everything he said is true, and I wish more coaches would be And I think we are getting to a point where it is now more of a win for you if you're relatable and you are human and you are down to earth. I don't think he's really a guy that is like that. I think he's I mean, I think he's different just because he's a Hurley and he's from a basketball family, and like, I don't think he's I don't. I don't think you would hang out with Hurley and feel like he's just one of the boys. Which I don't mean that as an insult, but like, the more you're relatable, the more you're down to earth, the more you're humble, rather than this larger than life, arrogant figure that that you know everybody's beneath him.
Speaker 3: It's just different now.
Speaker 2: So if coaches would acknowledge, like yeah, hell yeah, I love drawn back and forth with their fans after we beat them, you should say that if it's the truth, and we shouldn't act like that makes you classless, because look, it's entertainment, it's fun. And I think he is right in one of the things he said there, that that's what makes college basketball different. You don't get that in the NBA, and if you do, it's in a meaningless game that you forget about the next day. Because they play eighty two of them in the regular season, so I doubt they win it this year, but can't say I'd be stunned if they do, because They're still a good team until somebody takes it from them. They are the defending champs. All right, let's get to our last break. We'll come back on the other side and I'll wrap this thing up. A lot more that I want to get into today that I don't have time to get into, but that's okay. Some of this stuff's not time sensitive, and we can certainly get into it tomorrow, including the potential spring football that is very valuable to college programs. It may be dying, and that's just because of the ever changing life landscape of college athletics. It sounds like CBS Sports and I haven't read it in full, but there's an article from Brandon Marcelo of CBS Sports that mentions that college coaches are considering NFL style OTA's as a replacement for spring games because of the portal. And really, you don't want anybody to see your spring game on TV because they might know you've got a player that they could easily just go get if they wanted. Changes are crazy, if you really think about it. College sports has changed so much off the court, off the field, like between the lines, when I watched the product, it's still the same and I love it, but everything else outside of that, Man, it's a different world than it was just four years ago.
Speaker 3: Quick break. We'll come back and wrap it up right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: If you've been keeping up with our weather updates, I'm not weather updates, I'm sorry traffic updates that you hear on your afternoon commute. Sounds like sixty four westbound is.
Speaker 3: In a tough spot. I just saw it. Looks like Way.
Speaker 2: Three that that's where I'm seeing it now, that there's a truck on fire that's blocking all lanes of I sixty four west bound near Third Street in downtown. And then somebody sent in a video to Wave three and Olivia Russell posted this and you can see, I mean, it's it's it's yikes. I mean sounds like there are no injuries, which is good. I guess they realized something was wrong and they got away from the vehicle. But I don't know if I've ever seen a truck just complet, you know, right there on the inter state, burning up in flames like that. And then the video that that somebody's sending while driving. That's the one that I'm looking at now. But if you go to the the aerial view that I guess they had a news chopper up over top of it. I mean, that thing is burnt all the way down to the bones essentially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty pretty scary stuff.
Speaker 2: So terrible traffic for everybody, I am sure, however, I would imagine that, you know, the good news is that, I mean, it is good news that nobody's nobody's nobody's there injured, because I mean, I'm not sure I've seen a vehicle on fire quite like that, So hopefully everybody stay safe out there. I mean, I don't is there a sign that you're supposed to, like, know, hey my car is having some issues, because if my car started smoking a little bit, I don't think that I would just assume it's going to catch on fire.
Speaker 3: Radiator. Yeah, I don't know what leads.
Speaker 2: What leads to it, too, And I wonder what the most common factor is as far as somebody on the interstate driving and then sure enough their car is on fire like that. I mean, I'm sure there are a variety of things that could cause that, but maybe they just said the hell with it. I'm never getting an oil change. I doubt that that would actually cause your car to catch on fire. But I don't know nothing about vehicles, so therefore, you know, I'm just I have no clue. But if somebody is aware of something you should be mindful of, like, hey, if this happens, run please let me know, because I I feel very ignorant to the whole thing at this point. All Right, we were out of time, and we still don't have any big update, any real update at all about Chucky Hepburn. But if you caught the show late, we did see Chucky Hepburn getting warmed up. And there's actually a video that was sent in from one of the affiliates down there in Raleigh that works for I believe, the ABC affiliate that shows Chucky going through warm ups and going through I mean he's stretching, so that's encouraging, but still not any real indicator. Still not really sure if he's going to be able to go today, but I hope he does. All Right, we're out of here and enjoy the evening. Back at it tomorrow on Sports Talk seven ninety