Speaker 1: But welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode thirty.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's as always a few comments. I listened in the car when I check my kids, not only my son to school. I only have one left in the house, so I always listened to the last class, and I pick up things that I didn't grasp or I didn't understand when I was when we were online. It's hard, you know, with these comments on a regulars to respond. But I heard from a Mel and also someone else who commented about we spoke uh last class about the manoa and uh lighting you know the double one. And Mel said that Rebbi he was the rabbi official quoted Rabbi Remone as saying that when you like the oil lamp, you can either light the What you do with an oil lamp is uh you have like a lighter or matt a lighter or a a candle, and that's the shamus. But you don't that doesn't you don't use that after that you just use it delighted and you have another shamis that like we spoke about the which would be so you don't get benefit from the light uh And that he said that the rebbi remote said you can light either one first, which I don't understand at all. It would seem to me that when you make the braha you should immediately only light the actual candle for the minora, and then afterwards you light the other one. If I misunderstood you, well that's what you said, mel But if if it wasn't clear, if I miss them stood you, let us know. Now there's a new thing today. For some reason, lighting candles has become the biggest deal. It began. I think in the Hasidic world every rebby who lights candles, as if for some of them looks like it's the ela with all the kavanas and everything and all the videos. And now it's not just with them, it's with the fardim also. But take a look at the videos and tell me if you see any of them where they like the they like the shamas, which really isn't a shamas, but let's call it the shamas at Shamash, and then like the candle. I'll just show you one because we're by Labe sent It and we're in the middle of a chuva of revmazus, so let me just show you Revazoo's lighting it and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Which one is lit first? Let me pull it up here, got lots of good stuff to show you today. Here you go. But again, even with the SPARGI look how they come close and they watch you get the sound on. So there you see it. And I don't understand how it could be anything else because you're making the broca that that Thomas thing that's not really that's not part of the midst of at all. That's just like extra. So how could you like that? First? That has to be with at least we'll see a new studdy that has to be with separately. Oh I quickly, I go through some things. Look, I get many emails, many of you email me if I think that the community, our little community here as Oh well, if i'd interesting, I'll share it, and some already for weeks I have it. I promise I got one. Some of you're gonna be very upset, but I'm going to say it. The anti Zionist email I got, uh yesterday, you'll you'll get it next week. But uh so, I I'll I just I just want to share a few more things with you. Oh I was looking through. But I promise uh that I'll get to then the anti Zionist email next week. And some of you will be very angry with me, but uh forgiving him a platform. But it's he raises an interesting point, and I think, uh, it's important that needs to respond to it based upon something I said. I I told you we spoke a good deal about the word olam. Now you can impress people by saying that means eternity, and in Rabbinic literature it means the world. Incidentally, Shama Juda Friedman has about three different articles dealing with the development of the word olam. If you don't know Shama Friedman is he's prostl Tolman mohock of Lieberman, a great, great Talmudic scholar. I even have a friend in Lakewood, a huge TOI doesn't yell me. When he went to Israel. One of the people he wanted to meet was Shama Friedman. Shama Freeman. Almost every one of his articles is a Hebrew but he's American.
Speaker 1: Nah.
Speaker 2: But so you can read it. But I also saw. I just was looking for something else that I'm going to show you soon. And lo and behold, I came across we saw how claim Kaniewski and Mazus and the villain go and all say that adonolam it means not like I thought, eternal world, not like the RCA sitter has, but it means master of the world, not an eternal master, as opposed to a master of the world loon. And Behold, however, if you google Ben snel Lamote, you'll come up with something from the Academy of the Hebrew Language, and they agree with me Burrushem that uh olam. They have a whole piece here. How Olam Sometimes even in rabbinic literature means eternity. For example, the expression lojayu de varimo alam that means that this never happened. It's talking about time. And they also give adono ms. So that's nice. Oh, just quickly, I uh, someone was smart caught it fast. When I spoke about Ramosha Feinstein and the Israeli fig from this book of Rabbi Ari Schwatz, by mistake, instead of saying Paige, page thirty five, I said on nineteen thirty five. And of course Ramosha was not around in nineteen thirty five in America. Okay, A couple more things I was as I'm listening to the talk today from last week. Remember I spoke about the the the mel mentioned you know the hey at the end, and I said, you have the coherdative. That's one I couldn't remember, like for example, eshmrah, I will indeed do it. I couldn't remember the other word. The other one's called the jusseph. I remembered it as I'm driving in the car. What does the jussev means? So, for example, like the word yichtov yechtov could mean or yeshmor y yechtov, he will write or let him write. You often haven't Tannah. It looks like the imperfect, but it's actually the jus of Let him one more thing or two more things from last week, and I'll get to something else again. One of you was listening very carefully. At least you emailed me. I was talking about I gave the whole story about Rebbie cards and everything, and I and I and I showed you we saw this book by William Grossman. They did the interesting things of to hill him and I read you from over here, I said, Smuno Spagdoli astral Rashi Rambam et cetera. And someone emailed me. I think maybe he was just listening in the car or reading Go Back, or maybe he was watching it live, I don't know, and said that that's not Rebbie cards, that's just pictures. And he's right. I wasn't careful that this is talking about what I read. You was talking about pictures and pictures of godoin Go Back. We even have a safer a commentary in the sho from a few hundred years ago which has pictures of the Rambam and Rashi. What I meant to read you was the one below it, Miss clack Shell thirty cartis si. Everyone has a different goldobistrol from Mosher Abenu. I got to see the picture of Mosherbenu until the Godolia cronyme with the names of their books, their pictures, and also on the other side, the agrafiaban Ghli, their short biography, their statistics on the other side. So thank you for catching me. Okay uh, Actually we only have two more things. One of you. Rabaili writes to me that Sofa mentions that in all matters, like we saw a Donolam, you should follow Dick Dook he didn't care what the python said. And really it's not just a shoptai sofur. If you look in the Kuzari in book two, number seventy eight, the Kuzari gets very upset about these piton name who ignore mil el milra, you know where the accents who don't follow grammar. So that's something to bear in mind. But what I do want to mention because Bell Mel mentioned it. One more thing he mentioned to me was in Yigdah. I'll say one more point about Yigdeh, and then unless someone comes up with a great Fritish, that'll be the end for Yigdh. But before I say what Mel pointed out to me, I just wanted to show you how Yigdeh because this is relevant to what I'm going to show you in a minute. It was thanks to Mel's question and I realized something. I dive in with this sitter all the time, but I I never noticed this. First of all, Yigdah is run. Yigdah has a formula like all these few team I mentioned it last week, and the Yigdall formula goes it goes state to New Oat. Yeah, I don't explain to you what this means now yah tage day two. Oh yeah, tage day two oats oat, so what does that mean? Vowels and then yet tad. So it goes like this, this is the this is them the model stay two vowels, yig doll. Then you have what's called thee or the peg, and that's either a cheva or a hataugh and then a vowel. So the second is lo and then you have to him hi, and then you have the aid they and then you have the second bah. And that's how you get it in both the first and the first half the second half. And now that goes throughout the entire the entire thing. Mel pointed out the following, which I hadn't paid attention, which is correct. Hold on, let me give you another the other picture of high Here he said that we were speaking and this all started because of Adono lum, where I made my point that the Python intended it to be, for example, melek and a era. But he gave another example. You see in this line here we sing it chefanav chafanavatau natano. That really should be chefa. And this is clear the only reason why we do it with the accent on the second part is because of the song. The python did not intended it should be read chefan neva natano. But then I looked carefully. I never really noticed this art scroll. Actually it has the syntax right, but it doesn't have the meter right. And if you look at the old RCA sitter, they have it right and other sea during Really the word L is supposed to go on this side. It's chefa too ot ne vu ya tad atau too netta ya tad no l. So the L has to go on this side. Now, I can't remember when we sing it, if we sing a chefon of uatau natano eh sha, or if we put the al the second part. But the way it's divided is incorrect here by arts grow. They also make the mistake up in one of the other places. Uh they divide it. Uh they divide it incorrectly. I believe they do. I have to look. I'm not gonna yeah here and lomoulatau. So uh take a look later you'll see that. Uh it follows. It follows a meter. Okay, enough for this, let me get my stuff here. We're gonna continue with the response to me from Rabbi Mazous, it's in It's on page two number Simon Cukio Dialard, page two thirty nine. But before we get to that, if you recall we're talking about Betel, what is the name Betel? Is that a holy name? Is that name of God? Is that just the name of the place. And it matters because in terms of writing, we know that Ale is one of God's names, and you can actually you can write it. It just can't destroy it and you can't erase it or anything like that. So can you send a letter? And we saw it rub On Mazous said it, and I asked questions about him that who says that Betel is a holy name? Maybe it's just the name of the place. So for instance, if you have the name Yestrael, the name Yesterel or Shimouel, it has the name of God in it, but it's become a name now, so you don't write a Shimuel an olive dash Ahmed. It's part of the name. So I raised the questions that from Mazous, and then I asked him, if you recall it, what about the synagogues that are called beth L. Clearly they are named for the house of God. So can you write in Hebrew? Even in English? If it's the name of God in Hebrew, can you write it or not? So these are my questions to him. Now it's not just the theoretical question. Even that Bethel's not theoretical. If you belong to the synagogue, you're gonna write it on your check. I wrote it on a check one of my neighbors. It was honored. We got this thing called the Bethdel Tourras Center in Beatedale. It's a big yeshiva, and they come to America. It's a huge dinner. I don't know how they do it. They have all the big machers, they have John Bolton Goes and Mike Huckabee, and they get all these people. And my neighbor was one of the people. Are they honored? I couldn't afford to go to the dinner, but I wrote a check and in the following year they came to his house, which is not far from me, a Yakov Katz. They call him Keatsila. He's famous, one of the founders of Beatedale. So I wrote another check and I wrote bait l. So these checks are destroyed. So is it a problem the Russiashiva Bethel is Rosama Muhammad. His son is Reveliaz Mohammed from her Brakha, who writes the famous book Panini HAA. Okay, but before we get to a Mazou's reply we have I wanted to just get to the question of mentioning God's name the khlau because Mosher raised this a couple of weeks ago. You you know, I'm we're quoting psukim and I'm I'm quoting from a pussk and I'm saying God's name. I just said it. Also, uh, and so what's the Moha sent me? He looked into a few things, because I said that if you're only if you're doing half a pussock, turns out its not just half a pussic. If even if it's a unit, it's okay, that's what I thought. Uh and uh. He did all the research and lo and behold, it's correct. But even before I was correct. But even before that, I was thinking, as I knew it was. Let me just show why I'm saying this. Here's here's a sitter. What do we say when we lift the tower? Iver's also kasha Al is not a complete pussic. It's a partial pussock. And yet that's the proof that everyone cites that. There's other proofs as well that you can if you're citing a portion of a pussk, you can say Asham's name. What about just in general in learning things like that you can find in in j have Adas of of of of of Ady Joseph in volume what volume is this? Three number four? Uh No number thirteen. He raises this question, if you're learning Gamarah and God's name is mentioned, I mean through a you have a pussok, let's say, and you read the pussak, you mentioned Asham's name, and everyone who deals with it concludes that. According to AAA, there's not a problem at all. With the braha, you shouldn't, but with the pussoka, it's no problem mentioning it. Moshas sent me. However, the slipe work says that we're no haig and I think he's speaking for Ashkenaze here, he says. He says, Roy, it's better not to say the names when you're quoting kutsy pussok. But that's I don't even think that's what we're doing. Because we're quoting, we're not quoting from a gamar. We're quoting for actually we're we're we're reading the pussle. The question is what about in a drasha? And Simon race test Avove of our Raim says you shouldn't say in a drasha, but others disagree. In general, there's a dispute here. Bet and Spardin. Spardin have no problem. They say things like todala l. They don't believe in using this kua kale kila, don't ashkenazine have a mid hug not too, it's not really hallaka. But certainly in learning there's no problem. So also last class, I I heard myself that I said about the names of God. I wasn't sure if when the sofur writes it, if he has to actually verbalize it, or it's enough to have just the kavana that he's doing it uh uh se mitzvah. And but I went I found some good sarim on it. And the accepted halaha is that he has to verbalize it. He asked Koskovades. It's not enough just to think it. Even though now and when they write the seame o sometimes they will do it all they'll leave it out, unlike to fill in and masusas that have to be written in a separate in a straight order, in a straight line, uh, in the order they appear. I should say, you don't need that. So sometimes they'll leave the sofur will leave the uh, the shame of as sham, and then he'll go to the mikpah and then he'll he'll fill them all in. So let's get back to the question now of h Rabbi Mazus and what his reply here is. He thinks that the shot is despite what I sold you, the hussom sofa under the hussom sofa says Uncles doesn't translate Basel as a base said, well, hi, he just translates it as Basel, So that shows he doesn't think it's holy. But Reb Mazus disagrees, and he brings a couple of proofs. And one of his proofs is this puss uh where I put it in pericress. If you look in good Zion, what does it say? It says that Jacob is the story of y'all called after his dream. He says he was afraid. He says, this is Basel king, this is the house of God. And then what he needs to call it and puss cud test he calls it basel, so clearly Revmozous says, and it is another pusak. Similarly, in Paraglamad, Hey where if Acrel I'm gonna come? You know, he called the place basel, So he thinks that that's enough to show that it's uh, it means God's name, and you have to treat it with respect. He says. The Emma Nites have the practice there for a writing this in one word, So that's what he holds. And as for what about my question that synagogues, I said, how do you call the synagogue betel? Because why didn't a rabbi say anything? He says, no problem calling it beatedel, because uh, what's the problem that my beat most of Trani he calls, he called the name of his book beyel. Oh, that's the name of the ohok and you can say it. You can say Betho came if you wants. But he says, you can say this because it's it's you're allowed to say the holy name if it's relevant to to the to a title or for something. Certainly that's the Spardic practice. But you can't write it. That's the problem. He didn't understand my question so much. I wasn't clear of Mazusa is saying, yes, you can call it Beth Betel Bethel, just like you can always say with this fardan you say to dala l there's no problem. They say it all the time. Ashkenazi may be more mahmir, but only a min Goshnazim also agree. You can say it, but according to Amasus, you can't write it. You can't even write it the city in Israel. So I do not have the answer those of you who you can answer your local rabbis. If anyone can find an answer and get back to me, how is it that we have We can have shows with the name Beatedell. Yes, you can have the name of the show. But then what about every time you send out a newsletter? What about and by the way, the newsletter sometimes have Hebrew on it. They don't just have English Bethel to have the Hebrew. And I'll say Bethdell And then people said, or how that's God's name. I don't And with this and everyone agrees it's God's name. It's not like the city in Israel. So if someone can come up with an explanation as to how this is permissible and how the rabbis allowed this, because it appears to me it's it's a problem the names of their certain names of God. There's all list of names of seven and you can say them. We're not talking about Sham, you know, Ado and then Shem, but you can say them much easier. But you can't write them. Or I should say that you can write them, you can't destroy them. You can't throw them out or erase them. So I don't have an answer to that. It's a problem. Okay, Then I come to the next part of the question here, and for this I have to give a bit of an introduction. I have a little chair here now to put things at. And this doesn't take us a little into Trump. And before I explain to the question, and I asked ram Mazous, I need to show you something. My paper's out here. Well, you have so many papers here it's it's hard to keep track. Okay, we all know we have Trump in Tora. We we earn this Trump bar mitzvah. We don't always pay such attention to it. But Trump actually can help you understand Tommy Hammi krap in Hebrew can help you understand versus. And when I say help you understand, that doesn't mean that we're bound to it. That's what we're going to see in a minute. But we see through trump An explanations. So let me give you a couple examples of what I'm talking about, famous ones that I think you will know. Okay, So here's a a Pustlen divarnment. We know it from the Satyr. What does it say in chapter twenty six, verse five, in the middle it says, nissa arte if national kacha, you should recite as follows before the words your god Arami of a dove. And what is Arami? If you look in the many the Pashtanim, they they translated as a wandering Aramian was my father, referring to Avraham. But in the hagadasach and here actually in this translation from Safari, I don't know which translation they use, it has no Actually this one has my father was a wandering era, a fugitive Aramir. But in Hagado, what do we say an Arami in wanted to destroy my father and am sought to destroy my father, And that's referring to love one. Now, if you look at the trump here now here. Here's a tricky thing here because that line there, that that goes up there. Uh, you look at that that. I don't know what you call it, even what it looks like, but that quarter circle or whatever. It's confusing because it could be either a pashta or a codma. At least it can't really, but people look at it. They think it. Now these are two. Let me show you what these things are in the So here you have, for example, here you have codma and then if you look up over here you have pashta. They look the same. Right, most people don't see any difference, but there actually is a difference. First of all, there's a difference. Now they look you see the pashta the little mark is at the very very end, and look over here at the codsma. The codma it's not at the end. It's well, it's towards the end, but it's the second to the last letter. So let me now go back to the pussle. So we see here arami ovad av this is a pashta, and uh pashta is there's two types of trump. There's what we call the conjunctive and disjunctive. Disjunctive means it's it's sort of like a stop conjunctive means it's connected. This is actually a disjunctive. If it was a connected one, it would be Rami ovade a v. That would be a wandering Araman was my father. But it's disjunctive. It's Arami and aramian ovei av sought to destroy my father. So you see through the Trump the way it should be understood. I'll give you another example here. You got this verse here Isaiah forty three three cole core b me bar. What does that mean? Well, if you look at the King James Virgin, what are they translated the voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, cold Corey bammy bar. However, look at the Trump. That's disjunctive, cold Corey bambi bar. And this translation reflects that cold Corey a voice rings out karma in the bambi bar panudera. So, uh, it's the Trump actually teaches us how you're supposed to understand it. Okay. So my question was, as follows from Moss, we have this pussle in uh Bracious chapter ten, verse twenty one, it says, oh Shame lad gam Hu Shame also had children a vi coboneever ancestor volda sentence of Aver Ahri yeffetagadol. What is aheadol mean? So the translation we have here is older brother of jeff Ja. The question is is it is is it Aver is he older brother of Yeffet or is he the brother Ahi and Yeffet is yet Yeffett is the older one? Which is it as the brother of Theffet, who's the oldest one, or that Yeffett is older? Well, if you look at Rashi, Rashi doesn't. Rashi says he doesn't know. Rashi says he doesn't know if Yet is the older one or if Aver is uh the older one. So my question to Ramazou's was, well, I don't see what rash rush go in the mid rush. What's the problem, what's the issue? Look at the trump, it says Avi Kobinahavi Ahri stop jeff at hagado brother off at the older one. The Trump tells you that Yet is the older one. So if if if it was the other way around, if if you wanted to say that Aver is the older one, then it should look like this. Let me show you how the trump. Earlier today, I wrote up this trump to show you what it should look like. Let's see if I can find it on my paper. Here, ah, yes, here, this is how the trump should look You can see it. That would be Effet, that's the brother of the Effete and of course the oldest one. But it doesn't look like that. It looks like this. Let me show you again what it looks like. You can now see what it looks like. I think you can see it's it's large enough. Yeah, So what's the question, sir by Mazouz answers me simply that what I say is correct. But at the time of the mid Rush, they did not have the trump as and he points out as the ritz Vob mentions in his commentary on Youma Now, Ribariolai doesn't think that this is the shot in the in the Ritva. He thinks that what the Ritiva is saying that in the days of Ezra, But I don't agree with that, and it's not a dogmatic issue. Revellio Levita and the Bahor says as follows and is sorry in his book too, Tom, I'll read it to you. He says that he's proven that he says that until the end finishing of the Talmud, you didn't have any Trump or even the written vowels chicamu balle hamasaura to Sherbet Tavaria, Hamadina Vincio dorama. So, and I believe that's what the Ritva is saying as well, because he says he says, the Ritvas says that now we have Trump, so earlier questions of interpretation have been settled for us. Uh, I think it's I think that's that's obvious what he's speaking about. But even if uh uh, he is not, others agree with this. This is an important point, I think, because Trump is not determinative in how we have to interpret. We read the Trump and we see that the Trump teaches us. We can see how the people who made the Trump understood it, but that's not definitive. You have a plenty of examples where commentators interpret including the mainstream Rashi, Ramban et cetera, interpret it at odds with the Trump, and sometimes the unculis is at odds with the Trump. So Trump, although we use the Trump, and that's what we need to lane, that's our tradition, but Trump does not have any authoritative ruling in terms of how to understand the puss of Trump is just another interpretation. What I maya understanding. However, before I looked more into it was that, yes, maybe you didn't have the symbols, but I thought that still the way of reading. We would assume that the Midrash would have preserved this way of reading, and Remozoo's based on the rich things. Know that this is just the master rates interpretation and Rashi's not. The Midrash is not bound by that. Obviously. Uh. In the days that the Midrash, you certainly would have had people who said the same thing, You're supposed to read it this way, but others said, no, you read it the other way. So we're bound by uh Trump in terms of how to read, but we're now bound by Trump in terms of how to interpret it. And therefore, so if someone says, well, you know what the shot is because look at the Trump that that's that's just ape shot, it's not deep shot, the next question I asked him this is all again, were like ten questions in this is He had mentioned that Ravvadio safe permitted Rodove cooked pesa. Who's Rodolf cook? Let me show you a picture of him. He's from rof Cook's family. He's a big macoubaal in Tavaria and tom hochm traditional from Maubo. But he became a Sardi as it were, and Ravavadi Josafe permitted him to uh he kidney oh, to do everything. And Revmazou says that that's because he became completely Spardik. And I wrote to Ramazous, however, that about the laters, we saw that rev Av ram yo Safe believes anyone could become Sardi, and Revis like yo Safe, doesn't believe that only about Chuva could become Sardi. I don't know how Josef would deal with the case of Rodolf Cook. But then I pointed out that that book, remember the controversial book mayan Omer where we were. The question was how reliable is it about Ravadio Safe how we're In this book it says explicitly the Revvadya holds that any Ashkenazi can become even if you're not about Shuva, you can become Sardi. So there you go, and Ramazu simply says that, in his opinion, REVAi only said this to r. Dove Cook because he became a real SARTI not only did he adopt all him in hugging, he pronounces the words like asfardi. What does that mean? To pronounce the words like asfardi? Not just what the iron and the hat, but the koof. You can learn to say the hoof and cuff are different. And gimme gimmel with the gash without if you know how to do that. It's hard to teach an old horse new tricks. Okay. And the final thing, I asked him, well, the second, the final thing we're gonna deal with was a few times Rabbi Mazous has spoken said negative things about the about rabbi doctors. Okay, I don't take it personally. Not only don't personally. I even wrote him a letter. But when I didn't do this, it's not like I'm playing along with him here. What I said, I meant it because I think it's true. I said to him. In some few places you wrote about the rabbi doctors and the troubles they cause. Because there are Rabbi doctors who cause troubles, no question about it. But if i'd be speaking today, the rabbi not doctors, are causing more troubles. I mean, you haven't had any rabbi doctors, having people dobvin and have giant weddings without masks and everything. So but be there as it may. Yeah, there are the examples. He gave. Some examples he gave from like left wing types at least I think maybe some of you listeners don't think. I think it's a bit of a problem. One person in particular, he went off, is Rebbi Benny Lau that he thinks he doesn't like Rebby Benny Lao his interpretations. I like Rebbi Benni Lao, although I don't like his first book on Ravid Josef. I wrote a review of that because this is supposed to be an academic book and it has an approbation from Revvad Josef. It's a study of Ravud Josif how can you have a study of someone where then you get an approbation that's not an academic work. Then I in my review of it, I said, it's politically correct scholarship. But uh, his all sorts of interesting stuff and then an interesting figure. But there's no question he's on the left. And uh he said some stuff which it's basically like open Orthodox type. So you couldn't expect Refmazous to approve of that. What happened was that one of his students is a member of Kanesset Full he could and he gave him one of many Lao's books, one of the books on Nanazala love you. I think it is sozus reddit and then he wrote a big criticism of it. Be case. I wrote that I'm not referring to Rabbi Lao who, but I'm just saying in general, so we have some rabbi doctors who make I wrote, the reason I'm writing this is because I'm the elites I want to give. I think it's a que elites. And then I said, of course, not all of them. And they were great Godolin. Who are rabbi doctors or Reel Hildeseimer of W. C. Hoffen vert Adrich Rohaim Heller. I said today they are great rabbis who were doctors of Nacham Rabinovich. Uh Ravarusi Revokesin was not alive then when I wrote this letter Ravarusi I showed you his picture. He's the rev of uh period. Oh no, he is the head of the dar Dam through a group. He has a PG from Bari Lawn. He's on the Molesakatra sheet. But I said, I heard him an interesting, a nice malitza about these troublemakers. So here's the malitza. So let me show you the melitza. Here it is. If you look in Lamad bays Zion, it says vy the Bara, it says raid Am uh go down because uh, you know, uh, the people have dealt corruptly, so raid becoming a militza becomes doctor. That is, you can read it. The doctors they've they've corrupted things. So whatever, it's a elitza. I'm just playing. It's just it's a game a little bit the malitzas. But his answer is important because he doesn't take it as a joke. He says, but there are doctors, who are you ASHAMAYI. No, he's upset. And I wrote that even though I thought it was kind of cute. Uh. He says, like Ravona Maertz spach you on a maertzpach. Matzpak's one of the founders, early teachers in yushimas cul Tora comes from Germany, where you had all these rabbi doctors, and he was a great mathematician in Germany. As we know, well, you had all the Rabbi doctors. That was a big thing because the Reform and the Conservative wor old rabbi doctors, so the Orthodox had to be Rabbi doctors. So you had a lot of rabbi doctors in Germany, including Adoli you Srow. Rabbi doctors were a big thing in America too, in the nineteen fifties and the nineteen sixties. It was very popular. You had rabbis coming out of Yu. They gave a DHL. So I've got PhDs. It's sort of going out of style, but it's it was a big deal, and you think it's only why you look what I have. I've never published this. You're seeing this for the very first time. I've never written about it. Some of the stuff I share with you i've written about. You know who else has a doctorate? Here is from Hapar Daves magazine aardase In. I wrote it down, what year it is, hold on nineteen fifty three, I believe it is. I think it's fifty three. I don't see the page where I wrote it down. Six I forget what year it is. Apardaset recorded that Mary Stral decided they got approval from the government for from the boards that determine these things to award a doctorate. And the whole article is how this doctorate doctoral degree from Maryastro is going to help with harbtos Torah. And the author says how upset he was. At first he'd understand it. It's a three page article, but as he goes further in, in fact, let me, I want to hold a second. I want to get you the exact date in case you want to check here. I'm going on my butzer hahma here so I can give you the exact date. What year do we say it is? It's rough Zion? So year Parties is the big rabbinic journal, so your tough Zion is, yes, nineteen fifty three. No one explains why there's a necessity because you have Yeshiva students who want the doctorate, and if we don't offer it, they'll go to the university and that'll be a lot of bit to Torah. And this way we can keep them here and making the doctorate for just learning Torah. Who uh, just like, did you have the BTL Bachcher of Talmunich law? So then you have the doctor? Tell me I even met, I don't know how many of these near strals had But I met one years ago before Archsco had the translation of Schulling for Daffiolmi if you wanted to use Dafiolmi, because Thesino never translated it. There was a rabbi at Nerystro He translated Schulling and it was published in that it looks like Sancino, but it's not, and he was a rabbi doctor. I don't know how many they awarded. And you can read the entire article here about how this is a positive thing because it's going to keep them. It's gonna be a it's gonna be a kosher degree basically because they won't have to go at the Davod. Because people want the degree, they feel they need it, et cetera. Therefore we should have it. So an are you stroll awarded the doctorate degree? Also so and so, and of course I can go through the list of all the rabbis. It was expected, basically not required, but it was expected at the Ubbinical Seminary of Berlin that you get a doctorate. Now, mind you, I hope I'm not offending anyone, but the doctorates in Germany are not They were not like American doctorates. You look at these doctorates, some of them are forty pages, fifty pages, even the ROVs, I think it's like eighty pages. These are not American doctorates. In Germany, you can go thel for like a superdoctorate afterwards when you did a real project. But this is you spend. You could spend let's say, two semesters and a German university and then you write up, you know, fifty pages and they award the doctor to you. We're not dealing with We're not dealing with such great hochmah. And some of them are interesting, but many of them are have no lasting value for us. What part of the value was that is doing doctor ritz? Basically, the entire commentary of the Rambam's commentary of the Rambam on the Mishna was retranslated into Hebrew by various people looking for doctor o degrees. Now we don't need that because we have arabai kaf. But then and then he says, listen to this. After saying that there are doctors who are erasha mayim, he says almost all the early Sardi, and he includes the Balamor and the Ramban. Learn the works of Aristotle. And the Greeks, with the exception of the Riff because he came from Morocco. What he's saying here, and this is something around Mazous feels strongly on that we should not be afraid of coman Cochma's valuable. Of course, you have to understand the Tora goes up. But this extremist Ashkenazic rejection of wisdom, this was never the Spardak approach, as he says, virtually all the Spartan learned Aristotle and other Greeks, but today, you know, we don't feel like we're getting wisdom from Aristotle. It's more antiquarian interest or if you want to understand the rhum bomb, you read Aristotle, but you just have to substitute what's the Aristotle today? Who's the leading scientist today, the leading philosophers. So this is not this is not modern Orthodoxy. Rabbi Mosus would say, this is tradition in this Sardic world. We know that the Ashkenazic world was not open minded, but there's a reason for that because they were persecuted and they were closed off. But wherever Jews were allowed entree access into the outside world, they partook and Simpson. Rafael Hersch's whole idea is that we never wanted to be in the ghetto. We were put in the ghetto against our will. Jews are supposed to be out there. The model for Jews is the Golden Age of Spain. We're supposed to be involved in civilization and bringing Jewish wisdom to bear. We spoke about this, Rabbi Sachs. So this is not a distortion, this is this is the mission. Hirsh actually uses the word mission of the Jews and this and if you look, you see who Hirsh's uh. He sees himself as following in that path. So it's ironic here that one of the leaders in the Swardi kri kuasi Hiradi world, he is like defending the the honor of the Sartan that no, no, we're not afraid of Hakchma. And it's not just Krochma as he says in other places, it's dick took for the Ashkenazim, dicktok is for the muskillium ussir tanach No, that's for the muskillium user. All these things philosophy, Migiel all us sir uh. The only thing that you do is shasum postky no. The Jewish curriculum is much wider than that, and at least from his perspective, you can't be an authentic Tom with Hocham without knowing that the Nazar without knowing, the Ramas, without knowing she raised far without knowing. Because this is this is all part of it great that some people are gonna be more inclined to this than to that. But I hate to say it, but if from his standpoint, and this would make us all them arotzim. If you don't know you got taped noa what I just showed you about Yigdah and the poetry, these are our great ingubby row And you know, laed, if you don't know how to read a Hebrew poet with the meter and all these sorts of things, you're also it's a deficiency. These are important matters, so quite interesting. And the last thing I asked him has to do with that's just a small point about Revellia albana moasaic. We don't need to get into. It's not that relevant. Okay, the last thing we'll do tonight, we have time for one more. We moved to a new person fascinating individual. His name is Ravyakov Couple Schwartz. I'll show you a picture of him. Here, here's one picture I'll show you Here he's speaking. This took place just and a half ago. So you're asking, well, they're not wearing masks. Of course you know. Unfortunately Sotmar, they don't believe in masks. They've suffered terribly. I can't explain it. I don't know what happened to be cool fish. I'll never understand this. Where by Schwartz was speaking, I know he kept away, he didn't go to show he was, but he ended up getting it. Also, he is a children bropark. This is he's speaking at the celebration, just like Habad have their own Yontov Satmar huff Off kiss Lev is the anniversary of the Starebi being saved when he made it into Switzerland, when he crossed into Switzerland and the Castner train Strebi was saved by Kastner. I have new book just came out about the Sutarebi. It's called Hakani by Menachem Karen Kratz. He's a dentist, but uh, he's a real scholar. I don't know where he finds the time and he goes to go the libraries and everything. He also wrote you can see on tablet a couple of articles on the Satarebbi, and he I, it's very good. The facts are correct. I have to say, though I don't look there's a lot to criticize it. Something no quick, no question about it. But he writes in one of his English articles that the Sata Rebbi abandoned his fluck. I don't like using that word abandon his fuck, abandon has that negative term. Is the satmea rebi abogad to stay and die with his flock. Uh maybe you'll think so. So. Lots of people left, but the Hasidim want the rebbe to leave. That's part of their ideology. The bells Arebbi and the Gera Rebbi and the Ababach Rebbi, they also left, and the Hasidim want that for the bells a rebbi. Someone even took his place and was in it, was killed, but took his place as like the stand in. So the Nazis would think that that's the rebbie. I don't like saying the abandoned. If someone can get out in those times, I don't think it's I'm not we're out here to judge. But it's so, it's the whole history and we're not going to go into it. Now. You can listen to the old classes, and I did on the SAtma Rebi, the whole Castner affair and the Rebby's views of Zionism. Suffice it to say, there's a lot to discuss and we can disagree. But Rabbi Yakov kople Schwartz, let me get you a better picture of him. He is Sotmer. There he is. There's another picture. This picture was taken last week by someone I know who's in his show, and he took that picture. He happens to be one of the most interesting. Tell me, who ever heard of a satmar who's writing for Omizra, Forramayon Zionist and journals, who is corresponding with Rabbaiohona Adler from Yu and other people and the culture. I've only I've corresponded with him. I only spoke to him twice. I only saw him once. I was at a conference in two thousand, two thousand and four, which is the anniversary and the anniversary of of the Rambam's death. We had a conference and I see all these I say, I mean, I say, we had all these people coming to hear this conference at the Center for Jewish History in New York, and there's this one guy. He just saw his picture with the long beard and the bekisha, and he had Agabe with him very much at a place, and he's speaking to Avi Rovitsky. Avi Rovitsky unfortunately, not long after that was hit by I think it was a bus and the great scholar of jewsh philosophy and other things. He lived. But unfortunately he's not able, I mean mentally, this really did him. And I find out later that was Yakov Koppschort. So clearly dealing with someone who's quite unusual. He has anyone who's interested in the Ramban. He has his commentary on the Ramban, not just on the here you see a thick it is two volumes, but also he deals with the puting of the Rumba. He has letters, five volumes, he has works on ala et cetera. But I find this interesting. Five fons and mildeve Tora that's where one of his letters is to me, and letters to Rabi sha Lot and Professor Hallamish from Blad. How sometim I was able to do this. Let me just before I get to my letter, I just I was looking for for some interesting things and I pulled off the shelf his book. He has an amparsha. 'm just read you something that he wrote. This book came out. This is volume two, so it came out in twenty sixty. Let me read to you what he says and ask yourself if someone else said this when people be shocked. But he has all sorts of unbelievable stuff. He knows philosophy. So that's that's because I was reading his stuff. That's why I thought he's someone I want to correspond with. And as I said, we had a very long conversation one night. You know, their culture is so much different than ours. After we had this conversation, he was marrying someone off a daughter. I think a few months later, he sends me a wedding invitation and he also sent a friend of mine and he went to the wedding. It's like there's such a memous there. As you know, he enjoyed talking to me, so I wanted to share as simpler with me. We you know, we gotta pay for every seat. We make a big deal. We have to apologize. I can't invite you because you know I have too many for them. It's just the more the merry. Her just come in and I was sorry. I would have gone, but I had a conduct to be in Scrampton that night. But in his volume here Volume two Partials Vallieri, he says, Oh, actually, no, no, this is a different thing I want to share with you, but I'll show it to you. I just pulled it up. He gave an amazing krish. I think here's this kiddish. Oops. I never thought of this before till he pointed out where we know the rumbum rumbum speak. It says in this is hell. Else here it says avel. I actually think it's a vel h. Avel is mourner as opposed to mourning. I think we assume it's a vel. This is the Rabbad site. But what about the Rambam says anyone who deviates from the past of the community porda at sebur, who are they? An as shim shaparko a mixed post. Those who will reject Torah? What are we suppose? And they don't observe the holidays, et cetera, et cetera. The oppy car team. What's the halaha or read in English, we do not mourn for them. They're brothers and their other relatives. Wear white clothes, robin softs and white, eat, drink and celebrate for the enemies they only wanted Irish. That's the that's the We don't practice this anymore because we assume that everyone who's irreligious they don't know any better. But the old halaha is if someone was non observant the public, non observant person rejects torah, Well, they're not our brother in tora, therefore we don't warn for them. What did he says something which I don't think anyone has ever said before. Everyone assumes you don't warn for them. We pull up the street again. What does by Schwartz note? What does it say here? He says here that for these people ain't me toabli in l am. We don't mourn for them ella, but achem usharkrovaem their brothers and their other relatives. You know, they just they rejoice, They act normal because a wicked person has died. It says that they're brothers and there are other relatives. He points out and Makuti Dibor in volume two, page thirty. It doesn't say a vm ay i mom. It doesn't say their father and mother. And he says, that's because according to a lacha, the father and mother are always supposed to mourn child. He says, hat to remotovvarenega teva chatauga. The Torah does not ask parents to ever uproot this natural love for their children, even if the child is the biggest heretic. You're always supposed to mourn for your child. What's the te ra? And he says, look at avra. I don't think anyone has ever said that before that when they say you're not supposed to mourn for a sinner, excludes the parents, and looked and the ramas language. He derives us from the rama's language. What I wanted to show you, and then we'll get to the probably get to the question next class. The question is we'll see with the rever of Kamenescilo has a radical idea, and we'll see what he says about it. But I thought something else I think you find interesting, which I hate to say it, but it's true. If if some liberal mon orthodox rabbi were to say something like this, people be very upset. He deals with the passage in the Gamara, and I say it's nine twenty six. Maybe we'll go five minutes later. Because I think you'll like this. I'm going to read you the passage in the Gamara. Now. I even I thought maybe arts girl would do something explanation. They don't, so I had my brother send me the arts girl earlier today. Just listen to this passage. This is in Tractate Sota forty nine eight. Over here, Ravaka, I'll just read the English Ravaka. Barryakov reared Ravyakov, the son of his daughter from childhood. It happened once after the child Ravyakov grew older that his grandfather, Raja Barryakov set to him give me water to drink. Ryakov replied, I am not your son, and therefore I am not obligated to honor you as a parent. Isn't that a strange story? What kind of a way is that to treat your grandfather? Even I have technically you don't have the obligation. We have all sorts of strange stories. Did I tell you already my theory, my heretical theory about how Talmud is an internal work for the rabbis, And I shared it in this class. I don't know if I shared it, but I only show you a similar story, and then you're gonna wait till you hear what itrock. A couple of shorts has to say, let's see, here's I'm just gonna read this to you. Here's a story from uh Khani, I'm just gonna read it twenty b. The sage is further taught in praise of the read. A person should always be soft like a read, and he should not be stiffed like a ceeder. An incident occurred in which Rabbi Aluzzer, the son of Rabbi Shimon, came from Migdal Gadoor from his father's house, and he was riding on a donkey and strolling on the bank of the river, and he was very happy, and his head was swollen with pride because he had studied much Tower criticism of revl. He happened upon an exceedingly ugly person who said to him, greetings to you, my Rabbi Alzzar did not return his greeting, et cetera. Blazar said to him, worthless person, how ugly is that man? Are all the people of your city as ugly as you? The man said to him, I do not know, but you should go and say to the craftsman who made me. Craftsmen capitalized God, how ugly is the vessel you made. When Rabbi a Lezzer realized that he had sinned and insulted this man merely on account of his appearance, he descended from his donkey and prostrated himself before him, and he said to the man, I have sinned against you. Forgive me. The man said, I will not forgive you until you go to the craftsman who made me and say how ugly is the vessel you made? And then it continues how he walked behind him, trying to appease him, et cetera, et cetera. You read a story like this, and you got to ask yourself what's going on here? Who would ever say to someone you don't reply to him, and then you call him ugly in and then he rebukes him. And this is the big problem any one of the wordes do feel me? You get to this what to do with it? So this gets to my my quasi heretical idea, which I know they'll throw me out of the base matters for saying it. But today we all have to feel me. Everyone learns this, and that's the problem. I think you see from passages like this and other passages where they criticize the rabbis that they never intended Atoma to be read by the masses. This was a work from rabbi rabbis for other rabbis, and therefore you can understand why they would make do a story like that because they're trying to rabbis can criticize other rabbis and they're making a point. The problem is when non rabbis see this, and you ask yourself, but they would never print a passage like this. I think if they figured we look at it, but among themselves when they want, and the result of it is in the end of it, bauz I realized that he was being arrogant and that he was being cruel. It's not for us to say. The Gamara says it. So I think that we can see many examples of where we see passages that were not intended for the outside world as it is. Incidentally, that's why there was criticism of translating the tomotive of the augotic portion is in particular because they say the masses are going to see this and they'll say, oh, what kind of a jerk he is? Things like that. They won't understand it then, or maybe they will understand it, but they're not supposed to because it's not intended for them. I think it's an interesting point, and historically, I think it's true that until modern times, basically Tomwood was kept separate for the intellectuals. So we had a similar passages for a Jew, where you have one of the m raimes saying, why should I get you a cup? You're not my father, I'm not obligated Revaca couple shorts in Yekta Fraum, volume five, page two oh one. He says his follows after quoting this, he says, this Aga does Zara. It's it's strange because even if you say he's not obligated to respect him from the ikarha Din, nevertheless, he's not any worse than a stummy who he's a gain. So luckysmim wish don't even if I forget it's your grandfather. If an old Jew, any old Jew, asks you to give him some water, you're gonna give it to him. You're not gonna say I'm not going to. And he says, Eli has are asked from Rifka what a to drink? And she said drink and for your donkeys as well. So what's going on here? How could he? How could he do that? And this is what he says al carnmarsha ain lumdi magadozo. He says, we have to say, we don't learn from this agado. It's not it's not in our tradition. I guess you could say it's not something we accept. He says, this is this is an individual opinion. We're not bound by this, and then he cites the Rumbam, just like the Ramam says about astrology. The Rumam says, hey, you can find passages in the Talmud that support astrology, but we don't accept those passages. They're wrong. What he's saying is basically is that we don't accept this agada and that this is putting forth a wrong approach to life. We don't like this approach and ain herehem we have to learn from this. That is, we see this, we find it strange. He says. The answer to a adult stranger adn't like that is simply that we don't accept it. Then, after saying this, he says, however, certainly what I say, or batalium move attelium against what the custom soface is a sofa uses this to learn something else, and all the acronym that brought this tomorrow. And he says, I so what I said rejected. But this is a common game game is not the right word, a common device that great rabbis sometimes use. They say, an opinion, a radical idea, And then they say, but nevertheless, since the great rabbis disagree with me, what I said is batel muveotel forget it. But if they really meant to forget it, they weren't have written it. They write it because they really do believe it and they want it out there. But then, in order not to be seen they're so disrespectful, they say, nevertheless, my words are battali move atalium against the hussom sofa and all the others. And I'm just dealing with it. But this is this is I think a quite a provocative approach for an acorn, a modern person, not even an a person, to say that if we find a Talmudic passage troubling to our moral sense, basic Jewish values, will simply say, we don't have to answer for it. We don't accept it. We're not bound to every passage in the Agada. Some things reflect ideas that we don't like. I this is the sort of thing that people would be put in Kairam in the liberal Orthodox. And here you have Swartz. So we're not going to get to my question and answer. We'll get to that next class. We'll deal with Raveeka Kamenetsky, who of Yakov really says something radical, and we'll see whether that can be supported. Three questions to a couple of Schwartz. We'll get into the issue of a voter zar is a voters that or Yakov wanted to argue that a voter zar could have some reality to it, that the world is created in such a way that a voter zur could be like the universe could be structured, that a voters are actually works. You think that's crazy, you think it's a radical. We to sear a Yakov's proof for it. But then we'll see what you jocoult couple Schwarts has to say, and then we'll get back to refine and rap report. Wait, they see what the balatonia says about what you're supposed to ask us? What I us is supposed to ask a rebby you think you're supposed to ask a rebby everything under the sun hardly. And then I don't know if we'll get to a next class. But the lesson which we just learned from couplets, which I think is only radical when applied to the tumud not want to apply to show name, at least not in our circles. When applied to I think we're gonna have to use that because we're gonna see something in the tour that you're gonna find it very troubling. And the question is what do you do with a troubling passage like that? So I see we're going five minutes over. But that's okay, I think, because we had good stuff today. Let me get the questions here. Mel says he was repeating with then quoted from Rimo's News Safer perhaps the question. But I said that once you liked it once, you should like the first candle. You like no, no, you like the shamash before you make the brohl, you like the shamash you make the braha. But then you said that you said you can light and the shamash before you make the broh, after you make the brokle you light at first? That was my question, says many people like the shamash before making the braha and lighting. Yes, okay, that's true, and that's what you saw la Zou's he's holding what we would call the shamas the candle. But then there's the second shamas, which is built in to keep away the light. Like we spoke about last week. The question is, though, when you like the broha and you're holding shamas number one, can you light shamas number two first?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I think my point is and I thought, if I'm wrong now, I thought that's what you were saying that He said you doesn't matter if what you like first, I think it's clear you have to light the khanika lights first. So Zana says, as Bethel, Connecticut. Yes, question is what does that mean?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: Rabbi Kellman tells us that a weader who's great, Bob Korey. In my next blog post, I will be citing him. We'll be giving a five part series on you heard it here first. Yes, tom Amikra is one of those things that very arcane, let's put it that way, and you really feel like it's another world because most people don't know it, and there's all sorts of interesting things and you see it every day, so uh, every time we look at Dovening. Let me just show you one more thing. I forgot. I forgot to say this because Mel, Mel, you reminded me. Mel asked me a question. We're gonna be laning this Thursday. Hold on on fast days. Let me pull it up here. It's in Schmos now Friday, Friday will be laming here it is. Mel asked the following, why on why you have sometimes the word kuma. Let me read you his the word kuma, for instance, Sometimes it's kuma like uh, and other times it's kuma. So in Ahm's name it's kuma and other times it's kuma. And I said, it's the reason is is because of uh. If you if it's a shem's name, or I guess even other gutt roles, then you make it mila l And I said, it's like the word lama lama. If it's before a gut role, it's la ma, and then's name like an olif and if it's otherwise, it's mela al lama. And now pointed out reminded me that in the Tora reading this Friday. We will see that. So for example, looking puss to get oliph, it says it says la ma has shem. But look at the next pussook lama, and it usually is lama. That's the standard way. But here because you'd swallow it if you say, if you said la ma, then ado, you'd swallow the the first letter. So instead if you said lama lama dough shem, it would be swallowed. So instead you say la ma. That's why we think it is that the master rights did that. Okay, I just bring that up because Mel reminded me, and Mel says, pashta is always on the tip and a codma is never on the tip. Right, That's what that was probably before I mentioned that, And that explains why you'll see sometimes the two it looks like the two pashta's are the two codmas, because that explains it. Also because it's telling you that the accent is earlier on. But it's it's it's a pashta, very nice, many ballet kream Michael says, make mistake with it, especially in case of the coda isn't followed by an asa, correct the sardine. Incidentally, they don't call what the well, they have different words for it. I will go into against that. Now, yes, now ishaving to what mel said again, but then you have something in on a disjunctive. Uh okay, so maybe on your creak. I don't know if that could be, but I have to look. You might be able to do that. I don't know, but it's a good point. Uh. Then you happen to have to use a different Trump. Very nice. Who determined the Trump? Well, the master eats according to the Bahor however others hold that. No, it goes back to Ezras even earlier. But I think we assumed it's the Master eats who did that. It's not because in the case of two pastas, wanted to tell you that as affect the pasta and not Comont's tell the emphasis go yes, that's what I said. Thank you very much, Michael Simpler, Cogot publishing two volume center differences about mysa as embodied in Trump many instances, and for you, I'm sok. Yes, and we have distinctions, we have a disagreements. There's Ben a Cher and Ben naff tally as to how, for example, like the word everyone knows how you pronounced his sucher right, well, that goes back to a dispute. Bennoff Tally had it differently. We have other things. Someone says my sound is not as good as tonight, but I thought it would be better. I guess I will go back. It's not because the shirt is because I'm using this thing on me where someone said it would be crisper. If if I have the sound is not as good, I'm gonna go back to the old way of doing it. I was told that wearing this would it goes right from this microphone in. But others at the end, let me know. Did you find the sound? Just type it in. We're getting close to the end here the same, A little bit not as good, a little bit better. And then, because someone keeps telling me that he finds it hard to hear me when he listens, I put it on YouTube and it's so loud. I need to turn it down. But I thought I would do something. Israeli and Mazu's critical of honor. I talked to her as well. I don't know, good question. The Rashbo was, Asfardi was against philosophy. No, the Rashapu was not against philosophy. The Rashba was against studying it too early for the young people. He wasn't against the study of medicine and philosophy for people who were of age the rush was, but the Rashba if you were of a certain age and you had background. I mean, obviously he's opposed to heretical views, but he wasn't opposed to Hama like the Rush was. But he was certainly opposed to people who are not ready for it all Sfardim war Darristad. Oh no, no, he's talking about medieval Sfardin, not later on. Yeah, yeah, yes. And of course when you get into the effect his language is his actual language is read it to you. Cohas FARDINKADMONI. Like I said, all the early Swardin studied Hama. Incidentally, they even the ones who started studying Kaboba early on, they didn't see it as in contradiction to philosophy. They saw it as even the rama, the Ramah who knew Aristotle and he also knew Kabbola. He thought that he could be brought together iPad hasn't. Professor Knwsner, along with his grad students, translated Tomud Bovley. Newsner translated tom Ud Bovley himself all by himself and then you're shaw me. That's what he translated with his graduate students. And how he did it. I know Sea Weberman attacked the translation, but still for one person to do that. No, no, he translated 'shawmi by himself and Bovley divided with his students. I believe that's what It is believable how we could do that. The ram Bomb he did not translate. Newser never translated the Romm. The first translation to Rambamb was the Yale University Press. They still haven't done at all. They haven't done yet a recently calendar published Mada or vice versa calendar to Dava. They're still missing one volume. But they started this in the fifties. The fact Canon Danby Herbert Danby did the mission, translated one of the volumes of the Rambamb and then RaBaD translated it and it's a good translation. The RaBaD Arts Girl has not translated it. I'm assuming eventually they will have the problems with say for Mada. But yeah, Sotmer holds that they have heard immunity. The problem was that they were doing this before they before they had heard immunity. Mike says it's an argument that the stmar should have given a seat to someone else since he had told them to stay. I don't know if the st Mart told them to stay when by the time he was leaving, he definitely told me to stay beforehand. In the book I mentioned a few times o emoshal Abba there abby their attacks, the suthing a rebbi for telling people to stay. But he did tell them to stay, and then he had a chance to go.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But it's not like he couldn't give a seat. The seats were given Pastner. Whatever the reason is, Castner picked certain people at a If the somethinger Ruby wasn't going to take his seat, then Castner would give it to someone else. It's not like a ticket to a movie theater that the somethinger Rebbi could then It's like a ticket to an airplane today. When I was young, remember you had to take it to an airplane, you can give it to someone else. No, today, it's your ticket. If you can't go, then the airline takes it back up. So and I'm not defending the satmore a rebbi the way he then treated Castner afterwards, or anything like that without publicly thanking him, but to say that he abandoned his flock, especially when the flock wanted him to save himself. I don't see that as a criticism. Simuley says, somethinger wasn't really aids before the war. Well, I don't. I did not agree with that. He had the something rebbi opened up in Sotomar. He he functioned as a rebbi there. He had a yeshiva, he had a tish, he had every even though he was young. He had everything that he had, everything that a rebbi has, and he came he had the Euros as well. The strudents of rom Ban or Abena Yona were against uh, studying philosophy, yes, but but the Ramban, not the Rmban, but even against studying philosophy the Rabbino Yona definitely. But you have a dispute between the northern scholars of Northern France and southern France. Really in Provence, they they were in line with Catalonia and the whole spartic approach. K K was a lot more critical than use of abandoned include Sotmore's whole career. Yes, and with particular attention behavior in a casting trade. Yes, Uh, that is true. If you read the Tabot articles he is, he is much. It's not just dealing with Castner, He's dealing with everything that is true. Who Mike says, I don't buy this theory. All the post games say it's a three of an old Jeish males to learn Talmud. Where where do you see that? The post schemes say it's a three of an all Jewish uh males uh to learn talmud? And what does that mean? It's a three of an old Jewish males. If you don't know how to learn talmwood? Uh, how you supposed to learn talmud? Most Jews throughout history never did. But where do you see that it's a three of old Jewish males to learn above comma and mass vain and things like that that they have to learn that. Look, look in the rumbam in in Yesodia Torah what he in clude where he puts talmwood? And everyone has to learn obviously, But who says they have to learn talmuld the way we think of it today and throughout history they never did treat I gotta te ritva treated trump not binding. Well, there's a whole tradition in treating it not binding. This goes back to the go name. And you see this in the Ramban in Zikuach where he says that agada is like sermons. You could take it or leave it, and that's the whole revo ben Araman, there's a whole tradition Vaco couple Schwartz. I find this interesting is because we're not in the Reshonic period and he's writing from a tradition in satmar In, which is more like a Mahrald type of tradition. That all agadata is binding. It doesn't mean it's all literal, and it doesn't mean that, but then you might have to reinterpret it. But to simply say that we don't hold of it. The problem with this Agada I read you is that you can't really reinterpret it. It's a whole blong story there, and it's clear that the Amadi he treated him poorly, and that's the lesson there By the way, I'm not Mike, I'm not saying my theory is correct, but that's how you can explain. I think certain string passes che passages where great stages are made to look not so great, which we if any of us, would say it. And it's uncomfortable to say that Okay, so people are saying I faded in and out and it wasn't bad, not so good. Okay, I'm not going to uh next week, I will be back to the old way of doing things. Uh. I gave it a try. Uh. And no one else except for the one listener who I appreciate and listening, has said though that listening on YouTube or on the podcasts, the sound is at all uh problematic. But yes, So when the ro mom says one third of your time is spent on gamorrow, what what do you mean by goamorrow? That's the that's the question, And who's he speaking to? Is every single person supposed to do that? The average person never made it beyond later, So so yes, if anyone's able to get beyond, If anyone's able to do that, then they then they're able to. But uh uh if they're not able to, if there the reality is that most people never made it beyond basic education. So maybe you're saying, Mike though, but in theory everyone should. But but the point, my point is that when anyone who's able to learn tomorrow and divide their day like the ramam says, he's already part of the elite they they never imagined something where the masses would have an English translation and can sit there and be exposed to it. Anyone who's able to learn tomorrow is already part of the elite, so they're able to be brought in to this inner circle. D Ramam also says that the elites are supposed to learn philosophy as well. Is that for every is that for the masses. When you reach the level you're supposed to learn Talmud, that includes my Summerkova, my sebiratis, that's not for the masses either. That that's my only point that that the masses, I think they thought that this a lot of the stuff in he Or is not for the masses. When the masses reach the level that they can learn Gamara, then they're not the masses anymore. Today we have an interesting situation where the masses are learning Gamora. So you tell me, Mike that the Rama says you're supposed to spend your time, but that we're not dealing with the masses now, we're dealing with people who already can learn. But just like you're not gonna go tell the Rob says that you're supposed to study included in Gamarra by the way, you have I mean he's talking about you have to Madama, mils and milsa. These are not the masses. That's my point. It's only it's not for the masses. Matt Lewin says that his father had a doctorate from the University of a Loove, but he never attended any class. You had it in Germany. Also, you had people in Germany who go to university, let's seem ber Win, and then they want to write a doctor dissertation. I go to Heidelberg and they speak to a professor and they submit it there and sixty pages and then it's published and they have a doctorate from Well, next week, Mike, I'll get back to this topic because it's getting late. Over the Rambam on the of you could say, I have any and what do I mean? Let me just make one say one more thing about that. I just want to pull up the rambam and say what I mean. And and with this what the Rumbam says in the end of chapter four in hilhos uh is so de ha tora is you know, be better. Let me wake you next week where I can. I'll have it here. I'll start with that next week and then I'll get to the anti Zionist letter. Uh. By the way, what I'm saying, really it's not even with the Rumbum, because even if what you're saying is correct, I'm saying what the sages the talm would thought. That's my theory. But I'm gonna make the claim that the Rama does not disagree with this as well. But we will. We'll pick up with that next week. I'll make a note of that. And uh, it's it's not uh, it's not It's not Dayra here. It's just a thought I've had over the years about seeing some things. So if you don't accept it, it's okay with that. I'll see some of you, hopefully on Thursday night.
Speaker 3: But I've often quoted by your comic. You've mentioned a few times on the Trips. I know that the Tumwinder is written by rabbis for rabbis, and like every piece of literature, lawyers write for lawyers, and that's how it works. And that can explain I think a little bit on some of the harshness of a language. I mean, you just touched upon, you know, the tip of the iceberg. Some of the language and the tim when you read it and you want to like, it's unbelievable. And because of Tafayomi correct now people get to see it before nobody would ever see this.
Speaker 2: And the Beni Schai says it's forbidden to translate this into the vernacular because we don't want the masses to see this. There's a whole stop more polemic against not just Stmorrow, because others have written to Ramos's a whole polemic against art scroll and the point of this is that the masses are not supposed to warn Tomorrow, and they have I have a whole countriest but with all these people write and it's saying that in Europe we never taught the messes Gamora that arts girl was upslrugging the entire system. The mass is supposed to do mishnaias you know, you know, simple things and that so uh, this is a dispute in in the Haredi or the Hasidic world because they don't want the messes to have access to it. The uh the Kits speaks against not because one of them speaks against translating works into a works into vernacular because then they won't need the rabbis anymore. So I'll but I'll get back to your point, Mike, because I do want to deal with the rum bumpers that you cite from Sodiantowa. I think it's RK Gimmel actually not about next week.
Speaker 3: I already said it. If you can't understand the mission buru and the original, you shouldn't be learning it. That's my if you I got the translation of short thing this, But you can disagree with me, and.
Speaker 2: I'll just say one thing. Rev Schachter Uh, someone in my show asked and me. He gave a sher there about ten years ago. So someone who's big into women's issues said to Rev. Schachter Rebby. He called him Rebby. He was very respectful for it. To him, he says, I don't one thing I can't accept. I know you've spoken often that women should be learning tomorrow. I don't accept that. How can you say that? Harv Schefter says, when did I say only women learned? He says, I don't think men should be learning tomorrow. That is correct.
Speaker 3: I was read immersiaries here for four years and when we asked them once, I remember when it first came to year should women Lingmar said, why do you want to ruin the women's education right now, at least the girls learned that what they learned, you know, homesh and mahava and the boys their education is destroyed because all they learned is kamara. The men have to learn everything the women have to learn. Then if they're on the level, they can also learn mar y ref. Schuckter often did speak against this sort of Uh, kumar is not meant for everybody. Yeah, you have to learn all the basics first, and you have to learn Kromish and all the other stuff.
Speaker 2: Correct. We obviously everyone has to learn Tomorrow. We have teacher kids because that's the ultimate, and lady, you'll do that. But the point is, if you're dealing with someone who's fifty five years old has never had a Jewish education, do we do we teach them? What re you? Safe says he should learn halaka nackamara. So but well, I'll get back to this next week with the round bombick listen.
Speaker 3: Intellectual history. That's a whole other interesting discussion, the trends and intellectual history, what they're popular and maybe one hundred years from them, nobody will learn daffiom anymore.
Speaker 2: Who knows?
Speaker 3: Maybe though everybody will learn. But it's these things go. It took took nineteen hundred years for duffio Mee to becoming even an idea that you know, it never existed for nineteen hundred years. Anyways, Mark, please God, We'll see you on Thursday night.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on Zoom, please visit toronmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to get the podcast to listen.