Speaker 1: Here we go with the Minnesota Goodbye. Basically, it is as compendium a word Bailey of the emails, a comprehensive browsing. Yeah, what does compendium mean? Is that? Is it a compendium of emails? The proper terminology.
Speaker 2: Kind of so it's a collection of concise but detailed information about a particular subject, especially in a book or other publication.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of probably wrong about it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is that years ago there was a radio ad and it's like, you can improve your vocabulary. You'll learn a new word every single day with this series of I think it was probably cassette tapes. It was so long ago, and you'll learn a new word and they'd use words like nobody and I And I thought to myself, why would I ever want to learn a lot of words that no one knows what they mean, like compendium? And I think you should call the show pendium today maybe, but but is I think one of the gifts of like being being a good communicator is to speak in simple but colorful terms. Yes, you know, like you don't want to use words that people go, I don't know what she meant by that. Yeah, but if you can color it up by like you walk into a room that smells like, I don't know, lasagna, you could say like, as I walked it in, I walked in, I could almost see those lasagna bubbling in the pan. It's juicy, red, cheesy goodness bubbling up the sides of the pan as it filled the air with a wonderful aroma of Italian spices, cheese and red. I mean that type of thing. Yeah, I mean yeah, Not once did I use a big word in there.
Speaker 2: So I agree with you because I work with high schoolers that I keep telling them you got to be conversational, but have slightly elevated language so you know what you're talking about without sounding like you know too much. I heard it elevated language, just like instead of saying, so today, we're first gonna talk about a problem, and then we're gonna talk about some other things like the effects of the problem, and then we're gonna come up with some solutions, like we don't want to use some like words like gunna or like wanna. So first we will gather together to review the problem and blah blah blah, just like elevate it a little bit, but like, there are some kids who I heard a kid say that something stemy's progress, and I wrote down the word stemy's. I was like, there's no way that this sixteen year old kid knows the word stymy's. He definitely looked it up on the thesaurus, or a coach or a teacher wrote it for him. Steiny's who says that no quai.
Speaker 1: In regular conversation, but I think it is kind of a colorful word.
Speaker 2: Personally it is, but you would never use it in conversation.
Speaker 1: Here is a note about Bailey from Molly. Do you know Molly Bartel by any chance?
Speaker 3: Um?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought maybe you worked with her or something, She says. I want to send a quick note to say how often I think of Bailey being able to work on the Dave Ryan Show. She grew up here listen forever and now is there how surreal that must be for her? Oh? I thought I thought there was something here that said she knew you, but so apparently not. So glad she said yes, cheers to so many of us who were here, who were here were her, and think about how cool it really is. Molly dart Lick, If I'm in the moody.
Speaker 2: Thanks Molly.
Speaker 1: So I think it would be weird to like, I mean, I grew up listening to a radio station in Colorado Springs that was the radio station, and then I eventually got to work there, and it was a little bit surreal, like Wow, I am on kys N, the big station that everybody listened to, and it was really cool. Yeah, Lena had the same thing. Lena grew up here basically, and then she's on the show like from two thousand and seven to twenty eleven, I think, and so kind of the same thing with her and I today.
Speaker 2: Earlier on the show, we were talking about was it dark Horse.
Speaker 3: Or dark dark Stars, dark Star dark Star.
Speaker 2: Because I remember when I when I got hired, I called my dad to tell him and he said that I was the new dark Star because apparently the guy who is named dark Star who was on did you say WCCO, yep, Yeah, that he was just like a guy who would call in to talk about I don't know, football or something, and then he just kept calling in, calling in to be kind of like their weird little specialist for this one thing, and then he was on it and was like super well known and popular, and he's like, you're.
Speaker 3: The new dark Star.
Speaker 1: Wow, and that's funny.
Speaker 2: No idea what he was talking about, but.
Speaker 1: Well, Wow Darkstar was big on WCCO back in the nineties, and I've heard of him, but I did I didn't actively listen to him.
Speaker 3: So he passed away, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do believe he died. Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm probably in the last ten years or so. Here is an interesting one, Dave a while ago, when you were in Las Vegas and the elevator with a single woman and she wanted you to get out. I don't know if you remember the story, and I don't think about it that often, but I was in an elevator in Las Vegas and I was right I either was about to get on the elevator and she said I'd rather not ride with you, because you know, here I am a dude and she was a young woman, and or maybe I was on the elevator and she asked me to get out. I don't remember, and I did because I was not going to start an argument with her. But really it was really offensive. It was really offensive. It's like, listen, if you're going to be out in public, you're going to encounter people that you don't know, and some of them might be men. You cannot be rude to every guy and ask him not to ride on the elevator. But like I said, I didn't want to start a fight. This guy goes on to say, did you ever feel like it was a setup? As if she picked a floor for you to leave the elevator, she might have had people there ready to mug or rob you. Las Vegas is one of the last cash carrying cities. Nope, never even occur to me.
Speaker 3: I guess I don't understand that. Why would she, Oh, because you were already on that floor, so she had people ready to mug you on that floor?
Speaker 1: Is that what it means? I don't remember exactly. I think it might have been when she got on she said, I don't want to ride with you, Can you take another car? Something like that, And I haven't thought about that in months, but I just thought it was really weird and very like, Okay, you can't walk around in public asking anybody to make way for you. If you have a problem, that's kind of your problem. Agree or disagree?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it depends on how you remember that story or not. Because I don't remember if she was like already on the elevator, then like she probably could have just gotten off in that moment. Yeah, I don't know. I guess. I guess it's all about whatever her experience was that caused her to ask you to get off the elevator, is.
Speaker 1: What it comes to.
Speaker 3: But that's not my problem, okay, But like, also, you're right, it's not your problem. But I think that like she probably was only doing it because of something that traumatized her in the past. I don't think.
Speaker 1: It's not my problem.
Speaker 3: Again, not my problem, Okay, Well, I mean that's fine. You don't have to like do something just because she asked you to do it.
Speaker 2: You could think.
Speaker 3: I think it's just like a polite situation where it's like, well, I don't know what you're you've been through, I'm just gonna step off the elevator. She could have gotten off herself, obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she definitely could have gotten off herself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there was nobody waiting there to mug me. So I'm really happy about that. So that would have been what a ploy though, But there's cameras everywhere. You really can't get away with I mean, you know there's security camp. We learn there's security camera here in the radio station because when I spit water by accident into the board last week, they got it on the security camera. So can't go anywhere, all right. Stephanie writes in it's garbage day to day in our neighborhood. And I just saw garbage person get out of their truck, walk down a long driveway of a neighbor, bring their garbage bin to the curb, empty the bin, and went to the next house. What a wonderful person to do that for somebody who didn't remember to bring their bin down the driveway. Shout out to that hero.
Speaker 3: That's so nice. Our garbage didnt get picked up last week, and I'm really salty about it. I don't know what was going on. We had our bin out and it is completely full and we can't fit anything else in it.
Speaker 1: Isn't that the worst when you forget to put your garbage out And it's like, oh God.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't have that problem. I live in an apartment building.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you put yours on a shoot or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes you like go out to like put your recycling in. Because we just have like giant dumpsters in the back of our building, and the entire like recycling dumpster is completely full. You're like, but I have a box and three bags and so many things to shove in here. But apparently I don't know how often they bring the recycling truck around, but it's not nearly enough.
Speaker 3: It's also because your apartment people don't break down their boxes. Also, that was a hot debate in my apartment when Don the groundskeeper, would literally pull boxes out and be like, you need to break this down, and like left a note on our.
Speaker 2: Do especially hazard like name on it too. This was delivered to you an Amazon box as a giant. Put it back outside your door. Break down your box, idiot, Oh that'd be good.
Speaker 1: That's the worst I've got In my house in Minnesota. We got a bunch of Amazon boxes that I need to break down for recycling, and I just haven't. You know, they're all stacked on top of each other. I just haven't gotten around to it. So one day last email, don't say my name. Okay, this is really interesting. I read through this earlier first time writer, longtime listener, and we might be able to do this on the show as well, because it really is like a show flavored email situation bothering me for some weeks. Now, love to hear your opinions. My sister is twenty six and recently left an abusive relationship about eight months ago. She started dating this guy when and she was seventeen and he was fifty and married with three kids. Fifty married with three kids, she was seventeen, he divorced his wife or my sister anyway, I was beyond happy when she left that situation. I'm gonna tell you there's not a decent man who would marry a seventeen year old or date a seventeen year old a fifty year old. There is no decent fifty year old man that would say, hey, this person who's not even of legal age yet seems like a great partner. That guy has got some problems and it turns out, yeah, he was abusive. Fast forward to now she's dating somebody new. He is also married, lives with his wife, AND's got a six year old kid.
Speaker 2: Es.
Speaker 1: I'm absolutely disgusted, in shocked she's dated another married man and breaking up another family. I've tried to talk to her about it, but she said, I'm not doing anything wrong. The worst part is he met my parents last weekend and they are fully accepting of him. Am I justified for being disgusted and angry at my sister for continuously putting herself in the same situations and wrecking homes. I am outraged and not sure how to proceed. At family gatherings and other interactions I will have with them, any advice will be greatly appreciated. I would say, there's not a thing you can do your sister as an adult. She will do exactly what she wants to do. She'll justify it in her mind, and she will continue to do this probably the rest of her life. Maybe not this specifically, but she will do stupid things for the rest of her life. I've got stupid people in my family, and I've just I distance myself. I keep them at arm's length, and I don't try to get them to change.
Speaker 3: It sounds like her sister needs therapy, honestly, because why is she going after people who are unavailable? Like there's something going on with her that's like allowing her to like continue in a relationship with someone who can't even fully give themselves to her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I also think it's like a two way Street, Like, it's not just her who's making the choices, it's the guys who are married men who are actively seeking out someone else. And she's obviously like it takes two to tango.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, they're obviously at fault too, But I think that, like, she's already been burned pretty badly by the first situation, So why is she continuing to do something that already turned out really badly? Something's wrong with her?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and very possibly. And I think that when you say something's wrong either her way of thinking or mentally or whatever, and I think she'll continue, you'll be surprised and I won't say your name, or maybe you won't be surprised that in twenty years she'll still be doing stupid stuff and you will continue to be disgusted. But there's not a thing you can do to change it. Maybe just keep her at arm's length and just kind of like maybe write her out of your life as much as you can. That is going to do it for the Minnesota Goodbye. We would love to see your email and get you on next time. If you are a first time writer, send your address and I'll send you a staff writer sticker. Thanks to Secretary Brix and we'll see you tomorrow on the Minnesota Goodbye. Email address is Ryan Show at kdw B dot com.