Speaker 1: Good to see you. Yeah, you're wearing the same shirt you were wearing last time.
Speaker 2: I have a very limited wardrobe.
Speaker 1: Yes, we are now in mid I want you to imagine, close your eyes and imagine we are in mid March. Now. We had a very successful live event, although because of some warp in the space time continuum, we can't seem to summon the memory of that experience, but it did indeed happen, and we are convening to talk to you guys today about how to enter the spring season. Engaged, excited about your fitness athletic journey.
Speaker 2: Well, you made it through the winter, right, and you start somehow come out of the cave and it's spring, and you're excited that the work you put in is now starting to be able to be used outside this thing called fresh air, and your skin is actually touching sun versus being layered up.
Speaker 1: And well, careful though, because March is a very tricky time of year for people that live, particularly in the Northeast, because you think, because it's March that winter is over, but there's still a couple last gasps grown before those flowers bloom. I don't want to get too much false hope here that's true.
Speaker 2: But that's the classic scene that you see in late March on in the northeast. One day it's sixty five seventy and everybody's out running without their shirts on Central Park, and then two days later there's a snowstorm.
Speaker 1: Oh God, bless him. Yeah, good for that. So yeah, so we took your advice, Chris, and we got through those winter months staying engaged as consistent as we could with releasing that pressure that we put on ourselves to be perfect. It's time to go outside. It's time to start thinking a little bit more precisely about that race that we've got our eye on, or perhaps the one that we're just now summoning the courage to sign up for. Ye and spring is on the horizon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here we are, And now it's more about what did I do over the winter that now will translate to the outside, right, and how do I reward myself with the hard work and the consistency that I put in and put forth an event that I'm excited about that I'm a little bit fearful of that will really challenge me. But then also it's going to be fun and I'm really happy be on this end. Of the winter in this case of having done the work and now I'm really excited to go do it, Like it's now on the horizon, it's six, eight, twelve weeks away, and so that's powerful. Now we can feel it, now, we can sense where we have the ability to train for it. We don't know we can do it yet, right, but we know we've put in good time and that we're sort of going to have that slingshot effect out of the winter and push us forward to do something that we haven't done for right, something scary, something exciting out there.
Speaker 1: What are the mistakes that we want to avoid.
Speaker 2: Well, one is to write off more than we can chew. Right, We've made it through the hours of the winter, which are always limited, and now because it's the spring and the days are getting longer, we think we'll have more hours magically available. Right, the schedule will free up. It doesn't work like that unfortunately as Masters athletes, So we want to be careful not to add too many more hours to our training that we think will be able to do, and then that create a false reality and then in a couple of weeks we're disappointed about what we just signed up for. So Maybe it's a fifty k instead of a fifty miler. Right, Maybe it's the next progression from a fifty k to a fifty miler, but not doing one hundred mile or one hundred k. Maybe it's a seventy point three instead of an iron man. Right. Again, test the waters to see what you're capable of doing, and gradually grow the schedule versus trying to all of a sudden jump into a twenty hour week where all winter you've gotten really good, your family's gotten good, your work's gotten good around this routine and schedule that you've created very diligently around ten hours. And we don't want to create any type of animosity in any respect and any part of the three legged stool, as I say, where they suddenly see, we'll owe now how the training is really beginning. We knew it here it comes right. You don't want that now, you want that gentle sort of all right, you know I'm going to go out. It's earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the gradual aspect of it is super important. And I know that I've confronted this and my own experience of coming into the spring months excited about the season ahead and feeling engaged with my fitness and having to resist the urge of going harder and going longer because it's a beautiful day out right, and you've always been, you know, reeling me back and reeling me back against my impulse, which is like I want to I want to go. I want to go, you know, and I think you know, in retrospect, looking back on that, that has been crucial in ensuring that I don't get injured or I don't get burned out or overtrained. We together were so careful in my ultraman training, years of airing on the side of us to avoid injury, particularly with run volume, like so careful and like being very incremental and diligent about not doing too much running too soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's important. Again, we want longevity, right, and we want you to be in this for a while and in order to build that volume, that foundation ever so gradually. The only way that works is if you're actually able to do it healthy right, and that keeps you motivated, that keeps you excited, It keeps the confidence growing for your event. And again you're out there doing it, so the more you're out there doing it, you can have your own sensations avoiding injury is key, but also, as I was saying, avoiding creating tension around your training. Many of us have been in situations. I definitely have been in situations where I'm out there wondering what I should be doing at work right now, or wondering, actually, I should have been home right now for my family like this, and then we're compromised. We're not going to have as good of a training session because we're not as focused and diligent about it. We might even cut it short and we're still not there at work and family. So now everything is done only fifty percent as well as we could have. So a gradual build creates those those boundaries, and it creates that patience and that tolerance by everything in your world around you. In order to well in a healthy, sustainable way, maybe grow the volume or just do a better, stronger, faster, smarter in the limited hours that you do have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Reires, We've talked about this before, but it requires a different kind of discipline, the discipline of restraint, right, which sometimes, at least I know for myself, can be harder than the discipline of going hard. You know, like I don't have a problem getting up early and getting after it. Like, I'm not challenged in my motivation with respect to that, but I am challenged in holding back when I feel good or when I have the free time on this particular day. But it's not my best interest physical preparation wise, to you know, let that horse out of the barn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you touched on two things. That one is absolutely There are days in the schedule where I tell all my athletes, if you have more time today, Today is a good day for that, right you have the week leading up this is an endurance week. We're over. We're adding extra volume, low intensity all this week to get extra hours in. So there's times for that. There's other times absolutely where we need to show restraint. But the first part that you said is I feel good today, I want to go harder. That's very most often actually a bad idea because there's an intent and a purpose to that workout and blowing it out just because you feel good now compromises many workouts down the road. It feels so good, it feels it's it's a temporary hit and then you pay the price down the road. Whereas we have maybe a workout in three or four days where it's way more important to do that intensity, to do that harder effort, to do that higher speed, and by blowing it out today because it felt so good is never the ideal. I answer, right, you want to see how that fits into the bigger picture.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm lucky enough to have somebody like you to hold me back or to hold me to a certain kind of plan. Most people don't have the luxury of working with a coach. So for the people that are listening who have a goal, fitness goal, a race, they're preparing for some kind of challenge, who are out there trying to figure it out on their own, how can you counsel them to best navigate these treacherous waters of trying to figure out what's best on a particular day to day.
Speaker 2: For much of that I have them, I always suggest write down your intentions for the week ahead, one long bike, one short bike, one high intensity bike, let's say, one long run, one short run, one high intensity run, so that you have a skeleton for the week of what you want to accomplish. And then a lot of times how you schedule that depends on a your own life schedule, let's say maybe the weather, but also how you lead into the week of well, I need that. Everybody knows for intensity, I can't be completely shelled and exhausted. So once you put that intention into it, and you've done that a few weeks in a row or a few times where you've seen it done successfully, then you get better at sort of putting that skeleton together for yourself. And as we've talked about before with regards to a journal, you know, then, okay, last time, after an intense workout, I needed two days so that I actually enjoyed the workout again, that long run or that long ride. I mean, there's so many athletes that I come across in training logs where they wonder why they were cranky and didn't enjoy their long ride because they shuffled the week around and put the high intensity the day before a long ride, and then they're just miserable. Right, and now you're out there for four or five hours on a bike and you're already tired the first few pedal strokes. It just sets you up for not enjoying the training as much as you can, as well as it should be, because some of the best athletes in the world, they love their training the way it's structured because they know their bodies responding to each one of them and they feel good doing it.
Speaker 1: What are the are there, like resources that you can point people towards who are attempting to get ready for a certain kind of race. Like I'm just thinking, I'm trying to live in the mind of somebody who's kind of new to all of this, like doesn't even really necessarily know what periodization is or even how to like why one long ride a week and not to you know, like just the very basics of how to approach whether it's an obstacle course race or a five k or you know, the twenty nine to zero twenty nine or something brand new. Where do people Where can people just learn the fundamentals about how to approach these sorts of challenges.
Speaker 2: A lot of it can be found online right and a lot of it in publications, magazines, even books are out there. You know, my first five k, my first Olympic distance triathleon, my first trail run, things like that, and then it becomes important to truly listen to your body, to see how your body responded to that super simple plan. And the other thing there is, even with the most simple plan, you want to see how your body responds to it, how it feels to it, and not hold yourself to the exact well on Thursday, it says, to do this, right, it's okay, Like, see how your body and your schedule and your life responds to it, and just continue to grow from there. So let's say it has four hours in the first week of training, right, four to thirty minute workouts with a couple of stretching exercises and so forth. Well, you don't have to do that exactly the way they say it. Just take the basic ideas and grow with it, and eventually you might get to a point where you're actually adhering one hundred percent to it, to a shorter week or something like that. But again, keep yourself from judging yourself too harshly on how you're progressing in your own exercise, in your own training. It's yours and it's your own special time. So use that to say, this is my intention for today, this is what I'm looking to get done, and I will do my best to get it done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that sound advice. I mean one of the things that I had to learn in my swimming career. You know, when you're young, you progress very rapidly, right, and like every week you can go faster in the pool than you could the week before. And you have a similar experience when as a master athlete you get involved in it new sport like triathlon or long distance running something you've never done before. You can see pretty quick results. But at a certain point that curve is going to taper a little bit and you have to get used to the fact that you're not going to be You can't like go hard every day. You're not going to get a pr every workout, and mentally, I think that can be a challenge for somebody who's new to this, thinking like, well, I'm not getting better, or trying to understand that every workout has a purpose and those purposes are not always going to be It's not about like going as fast as you can or breaking the ceiling on your last performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, It's like a puzzle, right. I Mean, some puzzle pieces are nicely the outside pieces, they really fit nicely, and you can see what the puzzle is going to look like right based off the outside edges. But then these individual puzzle pieces that you put into this thousand piece puzzle, they might not mean any but they're a critical component to what the puzzle will look like, the image will be when it's done. And that's a lot how workouts work right those puzzle pieces they have to fit right there, otherwise it's not going to fit into the picture that you're going to end up with in the end. And our first races, in our first few months in doing any type of athletic endeavor are those edge pieces. They fit nice, and you see the outline of what it's going to look like, and you feel really good of having completed that outside edge of a puzzle. But then the hard work begins all the individual pieces that sort of you start the grind of those little pieces that have to fit together that make no sense.
Speaker 1: And I think also when you're new and you don't know anything, you're going to be more likely to want to adhere to whatever program you got off the internet or in some book because you don't know anything different. But as you progress, if you are doing the journaling and that kind of introspect to work of connecting with yourself to really gauge how you feel and how this is working for yourself, you can slowly begin to take more and more ownership of that trajectory, so you can kind of go off script from time to time and experience what it's like to push the edge here, hold back here, and gauge how your body respondses.
Speaker 2: And you'll know your body well enough that you know I'm overdoing it today, but I know the next two to three days, I'm going to pay for it and I'll go easier. And I know enough about my body. I've learned from it. I know how to listen to it, and it works out well like this. I mean a lot of athletes trained by the weather right because let's say they're outside athletes. They don't have treadmills or a gym membership. So today it's going to rain, Well, I'm going to run today, I'm going to swim because I don't want to be out on the bike in the rain. Or it's sunny tomorrow, so I'm going to do my long ride tomorrow. And it actually doesn't fit that well, but they'll modify well enough through the week in order to get it done right. And I tell a lot of my athletes the first step is to get the week done how it's written right. That's idea in a perfect world. But then beyond that, get the totals of the week done, all right, shuffle around, make sure the order is not too much quality in a row. But if you can get the sixteen hours done like that versus how I wrote it, that's fine as long as we keep the principles of not too much quality in a row. And then we start pulling out pieces if they can't even make that right where it's like, all right, let's take that easy run out of there, and just to make it a complete rest day. Let's take that easy swim out of there, make it a complete rest day, or sleep in that morning so that you're just getting the four or five critical workouts in for that week. Because again, at the end of the day, it's about all right, we're successfully still moving forward, getting the key concepts in. And then next week, when life freeze up a little bit and there's less stress on us, then we'll get in at all. We'll get it all in again, right, I say so often training should not be an additional stressor in your life. Right. You do this to get away from stresses, to exhale, to de stress and connect with yourself and self care and go inside. So if training creates the stress, you're not going to have that outcome, and over time you're going to avoid that stress and then you're not working out.
Speaker 1: That explains how I've navigated this past fall and winter. I mean, we were joking at the outset about, you know, nice to see you again, because we're taping back to back episodes. It's actually November twenty seventh, the same day we tape the last Coach's Corner, and yeah, No, I wanted to take this opportunity to kind of talk about what this experience has been like for me and to talk about kind of what you're getting ready for this year because I made a conscious decision to not race this past year to focus on other areas of my life that I felt needed my full attention or more of my attention, I should say, because to train intensely towards a specific fitness or race goal would I knew well enough, would create more stress than I could manage at the time given my other goals in my life, and so I just said, I'm not going to put that pressure on myself. I've stayed engaged with my fitness, but it certainly hasn't been structured or formalized in any way, and I'm happy with that decision because I've made a lot of progress in other areas of my life that I wanted to be focused on. But I'm also not. You know, I like it when I feel super fit. I like it when I'm ready to go, and I miss that and I'm anxious to get back to that.
Speaker 2: I'm putting a book in front of him right now. That is sort of where your expectations need to maybe be adjusted to you rich right, Like, you don't have to win these events or be at the top or represent as your old self to still take part in organized events.
Speaker 1: Did I give you the impression that I was delusional?
Speaker 2: I just know you're an athlete through and through, and for you to put challenges out there, you have been successful in the past with getting it done, and I know you add extra pressure of with your life schedule and so forth. But it doesn't have to be quite on switch off switch, And your off switch doesn't mean you're not doing anything. It means you're still running and cycling occasionally and of course swimming. But where you work progressively towards something, there's a healthy medium in between.
Speaker 1: This is what this is what has eluded me my entire life. And spills over into every facet of how I live, which is trying to find a way to approach these things in a more balanced way where I can where I let go of that because I have this thing where it's like, I don't want to show up at a race unless I'm a one hundred and ten percent and that's just yeah, it's ego, it's it's a whole number of things, and that's my That's the bigger mountain to climb than to train super hard for a race.
Speaker 2: That's the one you want to lean into. That's going to make you uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Will super uncomfortable I show up like, oh, I only trained, I'm at sixty percent.
Speaker 2: And I'm still show exactly to do that.
Speaker 1: I would do most of them, the vast.
Speaker 2: Majority exactly right. So I think there's an opportunity there for something where you might want to explore that.
Speaker 1: A little bit. I know, this is what this is what, Yeah, this is this is what I wanted to talk to you about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's where it becomes interesting too, where it's like, you know what, as I've said in the past, helping you navigate through that schedule, we've tested it a little bit a few times, and also for Atillo. We definitely did test it, but again we had a vision of how well we wanted to do, we wanted to represent well and so forth. We had talked about that. But I think there's a space there where we can have you fit enough that you feel really good about who you are competing at that given event. And I said to you earlier, I would never put you into an environment where it's the super measured like everybody like robots competing the event. That's not who you are, but something that you feel challenged by, that you respect, but also that you feel really fit and good about going into not your best right and you know you in the past would have done more, but you go, you know what, this is who I am now. This is the fittest I can be given my life, my age, my circumstances, my schedule in the now right and that is the one I want to explore.
Speaker 1: I know. It's like I just get uncomfortable even talking about it because it's like I am the on off switch guy, whether it's doing the podcast or writing a book or being a parent. Like I liked, I go all in on one thing. Everything gets blocked out and it's not.
Speaker 2: A good no. They say, there's a lot on the periphery that can be really really exciting and fun and beneficial. Because that's what they say about in that book Drive Daniel pink Any. He talks about when we reward and focus motivationally on one thing, we miss a lot of the opportunities that come along with it on the periphery. And this is the same thing for you, where you might be surprised how good you are when you're asked to apply all your fitness, knowledge, strategy intelligence to do the event versus just knowing you've trained outtrained your the others right, and I think you're knowledge and your experience and doing this for many, many years, I think you'd be surprised how much better you'd be than what you think you would not be right at the event, as well as how much you would enjoy it because without any pressure, without any type of like, I can only be who I am here at this starting line, right, and that'd be fun.
Speaker 1: That is Yeah, it's weird how I interpret that as a greater challenge than to go all in preparing for a race, because that I know how to do.
Speaker 2: That's our younger stand of ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right, it's a younger version, but it's also it's a mentality thing, right, and you as an Olympian, like if I say to you, Chris, you're going to go to this race, but you're only allowed to train, you know, eight hours a week.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, I've done a few travels like that, right, falling into the anonymity of the field is there's something very liberating about that and.
Speaker 1: Completely let go.
Speaker 2: You can completely let go and you feel your body just sort of exhaling and absorbing the day. And it was the same thing with Attillo for us. I had an amazing experience at a Tillo when we had to walk a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, I forced you to let go but expectations.
Speaker 2: But we still I experienced that day totally different than if we had been with blinders on the whole time. Right. And I've had quite a few adventures like that where it's like, had I just tried to grind it out from the very beginning, I would have met the people I've met. Right. Twenty nine twenty nine, I did that event in Utah. One of the best experiences about that I should describe what it is. Yeah, it's basically they rent out a resort for a weekend and the challenge by the twenty nine twenty nine group.
Speaker 1: I could say it's Jesse, it's Larry. He's been on the podcast a couple times. Yes, his company, and he's got a team and they rent out these mountains.
Speaker 2: Exactly the snow basin in this and so you hike up the mountain from the base to the top and they take the gondola down and you save your legs like that. It's brilliant, and you bet get to ascend to whatever mountain top you designate, all the way up to.
Speaker 1: Everest versus nine zero twenty nine exactly.
Speaker 2: And so I did that event in August of this past year. And sure, could I have done all thirteen ascents? I think it was thirteen or sixteen ascents, yes, but I chose not to because I wanted to get to meet the people going up the mountain every single time. They weren't famous athletes, they weren't you know, they hadn't trained for it. They put themselves completely into a vulnerable place and tried one and then two and then four or seven or ten ascents And getting to meet those people out there and taking my time and having nice conversations with them. Was incredibly meaningful to me, and I still get emails from people thanking me and that it was a great time because we got to connect as humans as we were doing this endurance event.
Speaker 1: That's cool. I'm so bommed I wasn't able to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really would have.
Speaker 1: It was fun to have gone. I definitely want to go to I think that he's got two of them coming up in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Vermont in Utah. And what's really cool about it is because you take that gondola down, you save your legs, you save your joints, you know, quads don't hurt the next day. Nothing the part that well.
Speaker 1: For you Because I know a lot of people who who went and thought, well, this is gonna you get to take the gondola down. It's like, how hard can it be? Its and on.
Speaker 2: Our glutes because it's so steep at times that you're hunched over sort of hiking up, pushing on your knees and legs to get up. So but it's different than the pounding of downhill versus the stress of uphill, right, But it's all very well run event, completely supported a lot of motivation, really cool unique things that they do about it.
Speaker 1: And they create like a village at the base, right, you stay in tents or something.
Speaker 2: Like that in these great yurts that are super comfortable, sort of pretty plush. It's glamping at its best. And yeah, and then meals and all that, and every time you come down the gondola, you stamp your name and a brand with a branding iron your name or the logo of the event next to your name of each time ascent you've made, and so when you get to the top you get a special jersey for the final ascent and everybody cheers you on. It's really well run. It's a fun event.
Speaker 1: Yet did you do panels and things like that? Were you part of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we were part of a nutrition panel, mindset panel, training panel and all that cool. So that was a lot of fun. But again, it was one of those events where you can come in not have a lot of training and really exceed your expectations on what you're capable of because you're with people who will want to just see what they're capable of. You're not alone, you're not vulnerable, you're not embarrassed. You could just go do there's people who did one. There's people who ran sixteen of them or thirteen of them, and so there's the whole spectrum of athletes. But everybody gets cheered and Jack definitely unique.
Speaker 1: Was Colin O'Brady at that one? No oh he wasn't. I know, he did one of them.
Speaker 2: Probably the Vermont won the first no mass, no mass.
Speaker 1: So he is, as we speak, trapesing across Antarctica unassisted.
Speaker 2: Talk about a curated adventures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he doesn't stop. I mean the guy like you know, broke the Explorer's Grand Slam world record and then went into some other crazy speed record thing and then went straight to Antarctica.
Speaker 2: It's like that's evable. Of course, that's an extreme example, but this is what I like to get.
Speaker 1: Across the pers the most extreme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how everybody has a new normal waiting for them. Right. You might be off the couch doing your first five k. You've done the five k and now you say, okay, I can do that. The new normal becomes let me go for a ten k, let me go for a half marathon. You look back and go five k. Right, so your new normal just continues to shift. Now, of course, like you were talking about earlier. We all reach plateaus where the improvements aren't that dramatic. But our new normal is constantly moving. Our new normal with regards to nutrition, with regards to mindset, with regards to distances, with regards to training hours, there's new normals happening all the time. Meditation, how we go about it. The time we spend meditating three minutes used to be impossible. Now you can do twenty minutes right, or an hour or just wander off. So that's part of what I really like to tell athletes and people that I talked to on a daily basis, is create your own new normal, right, And that's the beauty of training, that you're creating a new normal, and that.
Speaker 1: New normal then becomes applicable in all these other areas of your life because it expands your concept, your perception of what you're capable of. And once you crack that door open in a physical sense, in an athletic sense, you become more amenable to the idea that you can break barriers in your professional life, that you can have better relationships. It's just it's incredible the applicability of what you learn, not just skill wise, but just mindset wise and how that can improve.
Speaker 2: Your life bleeds into all areas of our life. And that confidence and the ability to motivate yourself to go do something that you had an intention to do is phenomenal. Right, It's truly what makes us hue human beings. There's not a lot of other beings on this planet that set forth to do something and then methodically go about doing it right. It's like they're either instinctually doing it or they learn it in a different way, but not not like we do as humans. And so again, it's a unique trait that I would want everybody to learn about and take advantage of. What is the challenge? What is something that scares me? And how can I go about learning internally and externally physically and mentally as I'm on that journey towards that adventure.
Speaker 1: What are you excited about personally this year in terms of your own What have you signed up to do? What are you getting ready for?
Speaker 2: Well? I have it's November twenty seven. On December, first I find out if I got into Western States. Oh wow, let's ticket out there. I have a very very low You've never done that before, they've done right. I've always wanted to do it, but I have not stuck with my entries every year, and so I reset the clock, so I only have a two percent chance to get in, whereas if you continue to put in every year then you're it's a Moneti style lottery. It goes up right, So very low chance. But as a backup on the same exact weekend, I set up that I'll do Alaskamand which is an iron distance race but more extreme location, forty eight degree water. You start at three thirty in the morning, longest day of the year January, you know, the longest weekend day of right. Then you swim two point four miles in that water and then you bite. It's a little bit over one hundred and twelve. It's one hundred and thirteen miles uphill to a mountain on the other side of the Sewer Bay and then yeah, then you climb and then you run up a mountain for twenty seven miles.
Speaker 1: Yes, similar to norse Mountain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It's part of the series. And just this year they introduced that Norseman is now the world champion qualifier. These are all qualifiers for Norsemen, being the World Championships because.
Speaker 1: Championships of what extremely crazy travel.
Speaker 2: So they now have ten or eleven of them. There's a lot of them. Canada Man, they have the Alaska Mand, they have Hawaii Man, the Old Man, I felt that had the Celtic Man, all kinds of Swiss Man, Hungaro Man. I mean, I have athletes sending me examples of extra eyes from all around the world. I'm like, I'm good, I'm staying in the same time zone in Alaska.
Speaker 1: I just remember watching a video of Norseman.
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: Tim Deboom? Yeah, won that year, and I just it was the most epic thing. Yeah, super hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tim, Tim is he made that race quite famous because of because that was when he was winning Hawaii Ironmans. And so we went off and did that or just right after it and h and he won. That created this huge curiosity around again adventurous iron Man. So you know, I've done thirty eight forty I don't know how many more Ironman's in my life, and so I'm ready to try a different type of environment.
Speaker 1: So and you this past weekend was ultramad Did you follow that at all? You try to get for free? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Would you be put in again? You put it in again, Yeah, hopefully if she sees my name on there and.
Speaker 1: This, would you do one of the qualifier ultraman though, like I can't.
Speaker 2: I would say no. And this is why because again, like we talk about life's busy schedule, I'm not going to set myself up for success with work and family by training for two of these in a row. Right. I just know myself and I know the tax it'll put on my direct community, work, life, family, so forth, that for me to do that would be asking too much. Yeah, and I also know my body quite honestly, I've been doing this for a long time, and to go through two of those training cycles in a matter of a year would be a lot could defer to the following year. Let's say you do an ultraman in twenty nineteen and it automatically qualifies you for twenty twenty, But that means I'm doing two years of this type of training and there's other adventures I want to do.
Speaker 1: You're so well suited to that race though. Yeah, you know, I would really love to see you on cork it on that court.
Speaker 2: But I'm going to be fifteen next year. That's all right, man, I'm not getting any younger. None of us are, and those guys are getting faster.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The guy who won this year is thirty three, I think, but I think like Mirra Krieger was up there again, he still ran under seven hours. He's like fifty five or something like that, by ezy crazy.
Speaker 2: Those guys are a good though, at that distance because they've done it a few times, like Miro, especially those every year. Yeah, so that's he knows the course, he knows how he needs to train for it. It's sort of like me for Ironman. Right. Last year, I was able to just go do Whistler out of my training, and I didn't. I wasn't in the fittest place of my life. But again, and I've done enough of them where I can navigate my energy for ten hours well enough that I'll know where I am at the finish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Should we talk about nutrition a little bit?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: What is your general guidance.
Speaker 2: In life or for the training?
Speaker 1: Well for the training? Training specific people are like what do I eat? What do I eat when I ride my I mean I get this question all the time. What do I eat when I ride my bike? What do you bring with you when you go running?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, biking and running are going to be two different things, right, because of the stress on the stomach. Biking you're in a smoother situation without the rattling and the bouncing and the jumping around. So I often say cliff bars or something like that, something solid. I'm a big believer in solids as much as I can. On training rides, I'll actually make little sandwiches even and things like that, fruit and little sandwiches because my body will be able to process that and the intensity isn't that high that I need to have any thing sugary or two glucose based, right, that's just going to go glycogen based right into my blood. For shorter intervals and cycling classes and ninety minutes or less, I rarely take any food. So what do I recommend. I recommend that athletes create a stomach and a habit that they know that they're suited to take on all kinds of different foods because something will always go wrong. Right, So if you think you're great every weekend after an iron Man, I get a race report from somebody that says I thought I was fine on cliff bars or power bars, but after seven of them, I couldn't get another one down, or after four of them or whatever, And so I want my athletes to have as much range as possible from it. I've had the shot, the gels, I've had the choose, I've had the bars, I've had the potato chips, I've had the ore cookies. I've tried it all, and I've narrowed it down to a plate of food that I know I can bring to any race. That's what weekends are for, to test and train all the possible foods so that you have a good list of items that you know you're safe with that you can find anywhere in the world or bring anywhere in the world and have a successful nutrition plan.
Speaker 1: I have this thing where I've eaten so many bars over the years that just thinking about eating a bar right now makes me like I've gone more and more to just real food. Yep, because it's like I can't handle the sugar or I don't know what it is, but like I have this Pavlovian kind of reaction when you start talking about like that performance nutrition stuff. But that's a.
Speaker 2: Great example of what happens because you pushed you went over the edge, thinking I must eat more cliff bars for your events, whether it was for Epic five or for Ultramen. That's why I want athletes to when they're done with to stop it, because you're going to be more successful with fueling over a long period of time if you eat up until when you can of that type of food and then move on to another option. Because we want calories in you. You need to fuel right on average, I tell people two hundred ish calories one fifty to two hundred calories an hour for women and two hundred to two hundred and fifty calories an hour for men during cycling and running events. Right, So that adds up over many hours. Right, that's a cliff barn hour right there. But again, you want to have a good knowledge of a variety of foods that work for you. And that way you can sort of open that special needs bag that has options in it. You can get to a race at an ultra run where they have anything from potato chips to Smarties to Eminem's to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all around there, right, so that you can take in food that you need. And I agree with you all the sugars no matter how much somebody has a sweet tooth or they say they'll be fine. At some point your body just stops. Your taste buds say no more.
Speaker 1: I was great on the iron Man, and then I got to mile eighteen. I couldn't stop barfing, Like I had fifty gels. Yeah, over the last twelve hours.
Speaker 2: It's like, But then there's winners, and there's athletes out there, and they're not just saying that for their sponsors. They truly do twenty five gells, thirty jels. They're able to. And so nutrition is the ultimate and plus one right that where you are the only sample. If you know what works for you, and you've tested in a variety of temperatures and conditions and intensities that you know your palette and how it's going to work for many hours, ten to thirty hours, then stick with that.
Speaker 1: You can't test enough. I mean, you can't overstate how important it is to constantly be experimenting in your training with this. Even the very very best, the most elite of athletes and durance athletes out there run into problems when they miscalculated because of whatever external reason and have issues. So the more the better in terms of that experimentation. But I think also it's worth noting. I'm interested in what you think about this. You know, I know that when I go out on the trails around here, I see so many people who I know they're they're out on a they're going out for forty five minutes or something like that, and they've got their vest and they're just loaded to the gills with all kinds of bottles. And it's like, you don't need all that stuff. Somebody's marketed to you to convince you that you can't leave your house without literally enough nutrition to survive for a weekend.
Speaker 2: You know, Well, in some cases, I'm not saying this is all the cases. In some cases they might be testing weight and fair enough with the gear that they want to do, because I'll have my athletes do that too, but not with the food. I'll have put water bottles in there for weight, right, because for long endurance events you got to get used to that self supported way. But yeah, there is also this industry brain feeding right where they've told us you need to eat, eat, eat, eat, and drink drink drink drink, and electrolytes electrolytes, electrilights and salt salt salt, and people overdo that dramatically. You're right.
Speaker 1: Killian told me he goes out for seven or eight hours without anything.
Speaker 2: That makes my head explode. As a coach, that just makes me because others will hear this, yeah I, and then think that that's okay, and you can. He has trained his body to go without food. I had a coach way back in the day. He asked me to go out for two three hour bike rides not eating at all. He wanted to build up the tolerance that you can go on less. Luckily I got away from that theory because that is completely not true. Our body needs fuel to operate, and at the lower intensities where you're burning primarily fats, you technically have enough storage on your body for about a thousand days of exercise without food, but you can't utilize that and your intensity is way slower than that. So no, it don't go out for seven hour runs without food. Right. And the other interesting thing that you said is that the palette also changes over the years. So what you might have liked five years ago and needed changes as you become fitter and stronger and do different distances or even the same distance. What worked for me five years ago in an iron man. I no longer eat that. I have to completely turned mine upside down because it was too much and I went to too little. Then I had up it again. You're constantly testing, Like you.
Speaker 1: Said, let's talk about swimming. Yeah, so this might get granular for people that aren't interested in this, but if you're listening in you're a triathlete, or you're interested in a swim run or becoming a master swimmer, I think it is worth spending a few minutes talking about this because the most common thing that you hear, I know I hear, I'm sure you do, is people who are interested in exploring this world of multi sport, but they didn't grow up swimming. They don't really know how to swim all that. Maybe you know, they may know how to swim in general, but have never put themselves in any kind of competitive swim environment. And it's very intimidating, and I think it scares a lot of people away from a sport that they might enjoy if they could wrap their head around a way of, you know, learning how to get comfortable in the water.
Speaker 2: I love master's swimming programs from that aspect because you get some coaching, and there's a social aspect of it, and there's a structure to it. There's many choices usually during the week to get in the pool, and it's not like these are all former NCUBLEA swimmers at every master's workout.
Speaker 1: It's intimidating, though. It's scary for somebody who's never done anything, like.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but so is doing anything else right and having an embracing, warm community that all started as beginners at some point. Maybe not the nc DOUBLEA guys at the far end of the pool who don't even remember when they learned how to swim. But in every master's program I've ever come across, there's always a few swimmers who you can see they just started a couple of months ago, and you'll swim with them and they'll be open to having you in their lane and growing from there as a swimmer, and you get instruction with it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It takes a little bit of courage though to kind of walk through that door. I mean, I remember when I first was thinking like maybe I want to do a triathlon, and I was terrified to just walk in the door of Helen's bikes, which is like kind of a Tony high end bike shop here in Los Angeles, and I'm like, I swam at standard, like I'm an athlete, and I was like, I didn't know the questions to ask, and like, you know, those guys in there, they all are pro cyclists or whatever. It's very it's it's.
Speaker 2: Very all the sports like that are intimidating when you walk into most of those shops, probably trail running the least, because they're sort of pretty chill, pretty chill, yeah, but track on and cycling and swimming for sure. And the aspect of swimming is that, I mean, you have a evolutionary response to drowning, right and a fear of that, So it makes sense. And that's why I always recommend a master's program where you can stand and take your time and not be intimidated because of what they're doing, but more because you're comfortable just being there. And that's the social aspect, right where people just are having fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think beyond that though, it's important to make sure that you're getting instruction. Like a lot of master's coaches, they're they're they're they're creating a workout, but sometimes there isn't a lot of individual attention so I think it's if this does intimidate you or you feel like you really want to progress, to find somebody who can give you some one on one because there's nothing like having somebody just look at your stroke and and give you a couple things to work on, and then a couple of weeks later give you a couple more things to work on, because you really can only master one or two tweaks at a time, and generally somebody who doesn't have a background in this will have twenty things wrong with what they're doing, and you've got to really take it step by step and be patient with with it. I think the biggest mistake that most inexperienced swimmers and triathletes make is they're so worried about their conditioning and their fitness that they just want to get in the water and some back and forth worth for a certain amount of time to feel like they got to work out in.
Speaker 2: They land their watch to make sure that they get in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, there's no structure to the workout, there's no real intentionality behind it. And at the same time, they're not working on their fundamentals or their stroke technique in such a way that they would be better off just scrapping that whole program and starting from zero and spending three months on nothing but drills to perfect their shrup because they're fighting the water. They're inefficient, they're creating all this resistance, they're expending all this energy they don't need to because they don't understand how to make the water work for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's levers in that water for us. Yeah, to make us work work less and swim faster. There's also a few programs out there. I really like the swim Smooth program. I never heard about it regards to learning how to swim. They have animation and so a lot of it that you can swim on your own. And then you have certified swim Smooth coaches around the country and the world in this case, who you then can schedule video sessions with and one on one time with. And what's really cool about those swim Smooth certified coaches that's a lot to say swim, is that they're often they run a master's program on the side anyway that you could join or they'll know where you can find a program to work with. But again, like you were saying, seeing yourself swim and then working with animation, and then getting one on one instruction. Combining all three of those, you're going to learn a lot quicker than just on your own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's different from running or riding a bike. It really is technique driven. It's much more like learning how to swing at golf club than it is how to ride a bike.
Speaker 2: I compare swimming the way we swim in the pool a lot to track running. The times are shorter, just like that forty sixty seven seconds, and most of the time for a track athlete at the track is drills, warming up, stretching, doing a few short bursts, and then being done and focused on technique. And swimming is similar warm up, a variety of drills, a main set with some bursts and efforts, and then warmed down, focused on technique all the time. And so you wouldn't go to a track if you want to be a four hundred meter runner and just run four hunimeters over and over and over again at a slow speed. You want to have variability and drills and bounding and strength and explosiveness and drills all built into that workout. And similar in swimming.
Speaker 1: And if you're not coming from a swimming background and you're interested in triathlon, you have to understand that you don't need to go fast, and you're not going to be competitive anyway because you didn't grow up with the sport. So you need to forget about all of that and understand that the goal or the priority should be getting out of the water feeling good, learning how to swim efficiently enough so that you are moving forward in the water with some degree of aptitude and efficiency, but that you're getting out excited about the next stage. You're not going to be in the front pack, you know, forget about all of that kind of stuff, which.
Speaker 2: I feel most most don't have that expectation, but they do have an expectation that it would go better or there's a different strategy.
Speaker 1: But you would have to the amount of time you would have to put into it doesn't make sense, and ultimately it doesn't matter because the swim the way triathlon works, with the exception of ultra Man, the swim is almost irrelevance.
Speaker 2: It's a means to an end. I call swimming the first part of a trithlon. It's a longer warm up. It's a means to an end. It's designed to get you from the starting gun to T one and nothing else. Right, So if you can get through the swim efficiently, using the least amount of energy, but still in the time that you wanted to in order to then have a more significant bike and run, that's the goal, right, And a lot of swim coaches, and this is my biggest issue. I don't have a lot of issues with swim coaches, but my biggest issue with swim coaches is that they teach triathletes how to be swimmers versus traffon swimmers or open water swimmers. And there are clear differences between the two. Right, one is more shorter speeds, shorter bursts and speed for hundreds and two hundreds and four hundred meters let's say that's a total of six minutes maybe, Whereas if you're getting ready for thirty forty to fifty an hour and a half worth of swimming, it's a different workout, right. I don't need you to perfect your butterfly, backstroke, comb brushtro I don't need you to have good streamline off the wall and to dolphin kicks off the wall. I don't need your flip turns to be great. If you're going to do open water swimming. I need you to be able to get through that efficiently, like you said, in order to have an effective bike and run, and to.
Speaker 1: Be able to maintain your equanimity and your composure in a stressful situation where there's people kicking you in the head and there's a lot of chaos, to be calm and relaxed and to understand how to site. You know, you have to be able to raise your head and see where you're going.
Speaker 2: See where you're going. You're often dragged along by a lot of other swimmers when you're in the middle of the pack, so you sort of know that part, okay, you just sort of follow all the minnows. But the part of being comfortable when you swim is also important because wetsuits can feel incredibly restricting, and a lot of athletes get great athletes get panic attacks, anxiety and almost have to stop the swim because they have shortness of breath and the whole thing and what I always say there, understanding the dynamics of a wetsuit is very very important because a dry wet suit, the liner hasn't gotten wet yet to absorb the moisture so that it properly stretches and sticks to your skin and can become a second skin. When it's dry, it's just a tight plastic suit constricting your breathing around your neck and everywhere on your body. And it's pressure on your body, and we have a response to that, same as when we hit the water. Everything seizes. In general, it's a response of our way back, of our great ancestors that can make the swim in the beginning very very panicky.
Speaker 1: I still am not used to wet suits that cover the shoulder, like unless it's freezing and we're in Sweden, like I would rather have a sleeveless like that restriction around the shoulders like I just cannot acclimate to that.
Speaker 2: I've never swum without them because I love that extra pointance on my arms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you think is the future of iron Man? You know, when you look at these races, there's so many of them now they sell out a year ahead of time, thousands and thousands of people. And you see these clips on the internet or if you track this stuff where all they're just massive packs of people. It looks like a giant drafting peloton. I mean, what is going on?
Speaker 2: The sport has definitely changed and it's become an everyman's sport. The uniqueness of an iron Man and a seventy point three has definitely shifted. It's still quite unique, but I think iron Man in general knows the customers. It's getting a certain type of person. And when I say the customer, I'm talking repeat customers, ones that do it for many years. And I think Ironman and their parent company is completely happy and fine with that. They're not willing to spend the dollars orsments in order to grow that. They have a very religious following in that space, and everybody else is sort of on the periphery. They do it once or twice and then they either go on to other adventures or they move on to something else. Right, And so the future, I think is those people who are already in it and love it and are religious about it, They're going to continue to accept those price increases and that drafting type of racing because that is what it is. It's their sport.
Speaker 1: But I think that is now going to be challenged with future generations of young athletes who now have a lot of options absolutely in terms of what they want to specialize in and what they want to explore and experience, whereas the people that are kind of from our age bracket and above. It was iron Man, was it?
Speaker 2: That was the ultra endurance?
Speaker 1: There was a cultish sort of allegiance to this and you know, a fervor around these races that created a lifestyle for a lot of people, which is a great, you know me, amazing thing. But I you know, if you're a twenty four year old aspiring endurance athlete or you know a younger even younger, now you look, you can canvass this landscape and there's so many options.
Speaker 2: So what is that adventure?
Speaker 1: How does that bode for iron Man twenty years from now?
Speaker 2: In my personal opinion, I don't think it bodes well because again, there's so many other adventures out there and choices as well as being associated in a certain group for that in that way is also what the younger generation doesn't like. They rather be associated with a variety of endeavors and the versatility of doing other endurance events.
Speaker 1: Right, So, like being an iron Man athlete is kind of like having a job. And the mad Man era and now the freelance economy, gig economy, young people they're going to be doing all different kinds.
Speaker 2: Of ye and exactly they'll be able to do an iron Man and an ultra un and an adventure race. And you know it's like, why would we put a full year of training into something that we already know the outcome to, Right, that's the hardest part for a lot of endurance athletes. I can already close my eyes and see myself crossing that finish line of an Ironman. I've done it before, and they're all the same. So therefore, I would rather apply my time, my dollars and all those weekends to something that is unfamiliar to me too, that is more creative or more scary, or more dangerous, or more instagram worthy or I mean again, like we just got to be real. I mean, we're going to do a lot of these adventures for the coolness factor, and that coolness factor, in my my opinion, will run out within iron Man after a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. Well, I've already seen the numbers be quite flat in their growth, actually not negative really, but sort of flat. But you know, they came the seventy point three series is what really grew them so quickly because it became way more approachable, less training hours.
Speaker 1: So, in your experience of competing at a very high level over many decades, and your experience working with so many athletes over the years, what can you distill from all of that in terms of the mindset, principles or the habits or practices that you've employed and that the successful athletes that you've worked with have employed to great benefit, Like are there you can you canonize like the things that you've you've seen work for yourself and the athletes that you work with that seem to come up time and time again.
Speaker 2: I would say the longevity aspect of it is what works best over time for the athletes, and of course longevity and over time. But what I mean by that is that the athletes that have the most success and can last the longest in the sport, because a lot of this is outlasting too, is the ones that truly enjoy the training, the journey, the self exploration, nature outdoors, daily self care, and so forth. Those that are just focused on an outcome on a placing on a time, they do not last long in the ultra endurance world. And I've noticed it for myself, but a lot of the athletes that I coach, if they have certain numbers or times in mind for their whether it's an Ironman or other events that are measured, and they don't achieve, that, frustration just grows. And those that love the activity, the fitness, the health benefits, the joy of doing it, the outdoors, all the adventure with it, those seem to progress naturally and out they're not outcome driven. They're process driven. And you know, we hear that in all kinds of facets of life, not being outcome driven, being more process driven. And it works really, really well in ultra endurance athletics because again, there's too much that can happen on that day then in that event, whether it's many days or one day, that will affect your outcome. But if you already enjoyed the process, the journey so call it, then you're already ahead of the game and you're winning.
Speaker 1: So what do you do if you're working with an athlete who's very outcome driven to try to nudge them or contole them into being more process driven.
Speaker 2: Well, the important piece there is to understan and that the a they choose to do this every day. Right, This back off a little bit and realize and look at yourself and realize this is your choice every day. Now, I understand if your choice is to be outcome driven, but you can only do your best right if you compare constantly to others. You're stuck in this quagmire of constantly having to do better and better and better, and you will out that will out put, that will push out the joy and your best because you will never achieve that right. And so the more I can work with them realizing that family and career and this whole choice of doing this, it's their hobby, not their career, it's not their identity. That then I can gradually move them into more enjoying the process. And quite honestly, I've lost a lot of clients because of this over the years, right because we don't see eye to eye on this, and not every workout is going to fit perfectly in line to the outcome in four months from like, you're going to have bad workouts. You're going to have bad weeks, you might even have a bad month or two. But we're doing the work, and we feel good about it and we're enjoying it, and this is what I would be doing today anyway. So accept that and you're always learning as well. Right, if you're in the process, you're learning about your nutrition, you're learning about your mindset, you're growing, You're you're already a better person than you were yesterday. Right, What was that that quote? You know you never step in the same river twice because the river's changed and you've changed, Right, It's always a different river. And so that's what training in the process is. You are never going to be the same person as you were yesterday because there just something you learned in that workout about yourself, about your fitness, about your mind, about your nutrition. I can spin that into twenty different angles of why you're a better version.
Speaker 1: And so, what do you think is the hardest lesson that you've had to learn in this evolution from you know, super elite Olympic German precision driven you know fitness machine into you know master's athlete and coach, Like, what was the hardest piece of advice that you had to digest for yourself?
Speaker 2: That the path isn't linear right for me? And you know from a swimming background, everything seemed to fit orderly into a linear progression. If I do this work, these yards, this training, Sure not every single lap, but over the weeks and months, the outcome will come no matter what.
Speaker 1: Well, it's such a controlled environment. I mean, the world of ultras ultra running versus swimming is you know, yeah, I guess they're both you know, individual sports that are have some level of endurance, but a pool is the pool is always the same, the time standards. It's like you couldn't control an environment more, you know, completely than a swimming sport. And so yeah, yeah, it must tap into that precision mindset of like I do these things, this is the time I need to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I used to coach like that with regards to saying, if you put in the work, the results will come, I guarantee it. And I had to accept that that doesn't always work. We're all human beings and life gets in the way.
Speaker 1: But if you it depends on your time window though, right.
Speaker 2: Your time window. Sure, I mean we could, we could always play that super long window. But I also want athletes to understand that, you know, because it doesn't line up like that, you might be you might have different goals in eighteen months from now on different interests and different priorities, and so hopefully you're enjoying the training and the healthy lifestyle versus just must complete race in X amount of time otherwise I'm not good. Of course you're good. You have four kids, you work sixty hours a week, and then you're fitting in this training. That's amazing. There's not a lot of people that are doing that. But you're comparing yourself to the guy who's a lifeguard and has no kids and has you know, works out all day, right, And so we're stuck in this world of like what we're constantly comparing, Well, these guys do have Ironman in under five hours. If I don't do it in under five hours, I'm not really good. Well sure, if you look at it a black and white on paper like that, Yeah, but they don't work like you do, or have family commitments like you do, or you know, volunteer at the church like you do, or you know the sillian things you can pick at.
Speaker 1: And so, was there a specific moment in your athletic career where you had to meet your maker with that?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I saw it with Ironman Triathlon quite honestly. I mean I didn't win my age group in Hawaii for many years, despite knowing that I should be able to, but there's too many factors that come into play and too many outcomes that I'm not in control of. Or that little difference was the difference between second, third, and fourth, and fifth and sixth. I had every place in the time over ten years, I hit them all. But yeah, it wasn't that easy to just say I've put in the work, I've seen the numbers. I know I can hold this wattage, I know I can run this pace. It's not going to give me that result. Actually, I had to let go and just sort of train truly for the fun of it and the joy of it, in order to win my age group in Hawaii.
Speaker 1: Right, that's the lesson. Right, when you finally were compelled to let go is when you had the success that had.
Speaker 2: Alluded and I relied on others. I mean, I had friends who said, no, this year, we're going to train differently. Let's go do adventures, let's go do cool rides and cool different places, and create this training that was completely different than when all the years of structure. In May, I must be doing this, and then therefore in August I'll feel like this, and then therefore in Hawaii, now we did it. Completely differently, and we trained differently and that was what I needed.
Speaker 1: Right. How many athletes from your generation of professional triathlon iron man are still getting after it?
Speaker 2: Not a lot, Yeah, not a lot. There's still I mean, there's still some you know, the Ken Glass of the world, still doing Hawaii. But yeah, there's I mean again, I'm not sure what other adventures they've stepped into, but many of them are still active in some way. Yeah, but not racing or looking for the next adventure the way I.
Speaker 1: Write, all right, we got to wrap this up. But let's let's leave all the athletes and aspiring athletes that are listening and watching with a couple takeaways to fuel the spring months to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, we came out of the winter with some strength work and hopefully we're on a stronger platform. But because of those hours and those reduced hours over the winter, hopefully were healthy and fresh and ready to go. But one thing I would tie in is set up these training adventures that I just talked about. Look at your calendar and see maybe a Memorial Day weekend or July fourth weekend, and create something exciting or a mini event that you yourself or your friends or your family and you do to create a training weekend, enjoy the fitness that you've built and been consistent about over the last month's weeks, whatever it is, and enjoy it with your community. That's something I try to tell my athletes all the time. Create your own adventure, even if you're on a path to something that you've already signed up for that was a really cool weekend. Or I took up trail that I never take and I ran down it for an extra hour and a half and I saw corners of my park that I never see right or run to a location. Last year, I was getting ready for to Low and other events, and I ran forty miles in one direction to a town that I usually cycled through, stayed there overnight, great restaurants, cool little places, and then ran back the next day. I know that's a little.
Speaker 3: Extreme, yeah, but what I'm sacked to back forty create the adventure right like run ten or bike somewhere or you know, bike somewhere, swim the next day, bike the third day back or some you know.
Speaker 2: So that's what I don't like to have too many structured aspects to my training. I like to create many adventures all the time. And I think if more people did that and their community and understanding their immediate environment better, they'll enjoy the training in a completely different process. Again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was one of the things that you encouraged me to do when I was training for Ultraman is to you know, when when that long bike or that long run, you know, a distance that I'd never done before came up, like to make it like create a route that would be exciting and interesting, that would be a point to point so a you know, I can't bag out, but also to make it like an adventure in and of itself. And I remember, I mean it was transformative. I'd I'd never you know, run such a great distance. And I had that forty mile I think it was a forty mile run that you'd put on the on the on the schedule, and so I decided to run from Venice to Point Doom and back like a long pH which is like not the best advice in terms of like a road to run on, but it made it like super epic to like run along the beat, like because you I could wrap my because you can see point you know, it was like and I chant that that was like that changed my life, you know, to think like, wow, I never would have thought I've been able to do that, rather than running in circles or you know something like that.
Speaker 2: I tell a lot of athletes on long bike rides to ride to a lunch spot, stop there for literally an hour, learn what that feels like, and then ride home like four hours one way, sit, hydrate, fuel, enjoy yourself, get lethargic, and then re engage to ride home. And it's an adventure, you know, pick a point on a map and explore. You create the coolest part about endurance athletics is that you create fitness that you can apply on any type of adventure. You're with your kids camping, cool, do something around that right where you hike in or you carry an extra load, or you're off getting stuff, or you run to the store to get them a milkshake or something right and they're like, WHOA, you did what? Or that you're with friends at a high school reunion and they want to do something cool and you have the fitness to actually just jump in, right. That's what I talk about endurance fitness, that you have the ability to take on adventures that come up and just go do it. That's all around fitness. And that's truly taking it to not just structured events, but like cool tidbits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is process, not outcome exactly. It is the journey, not the destination, right.
Speaker 2: It is it is and I know it's cliche these days, but for understanding that for athletic outcomes is quite important because you will have us liberating sort of freeing experience with him. Cool.
Speaker 1: All right, my friend. As always great to talk to you. Thanks for dropping the wisdom. All the athletes out there, come back and talk to me anytime. Let's do more live events, Let's do more stuff.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, I love talking about this and as all my athletes and listeners know, you know, it's just I sit there on my own podcast and talk for an hour and a half and I have to stop myself, I know, continue.
Speaker 1: Like I said last time, like I don't know how you do that now? The Weekly Word, Yeah, everybody check it out. If you want to go super down the rabbit hole and get really granular on these concepts that Chris knows so well specific to endurance, multi sport, training, fitness, lifestyle, all of that, check it out at a I m P Coach on Twitter a I m p coaching dot com. Sign up for his newsletter. He will send you every month tasty titbits.
Speaker 2: December January one. I don't know if i'll make ja. That's a tough one.
Speaker 1: And good luck at Alaska.
Speaker 2: Man, Thank you. We'll get you out there, we'll get.
Speaker 1: You to figure something out. All right, cool man, all right. Peace,