Speaker 1: Forensic Psychology is a podcast that provides an illuminating window into the workings of the criminal mind. Now here's your host, doctor Carlos.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everybody. Today we have a special guest, Ryan Blackwell. You can find more information about Ryan at Well trained elite dot com. He's a veteran of the US Navy. He's also a Purple Heart recipient. He's a USA Wrestling Bronze certified coach. He also has a bachelor's and Science and exercise Physiology, Strength and Conditioning, Nutrition, wrestling the NCAA Wrestlers. So today we're going to be talking about a lot of different topics. One of the topics we're going to cover is this incredible experience that he had, unfortunately and fortunately that he made it through where he was actually in the Pensacle and Navy base shooting. We're going to be listening to that story. A little bit later on, he's going to be talking about that when he confronted the gunman who approached the door. We're going to be listening to that story. We're also going to be talking about fitness and health. We'll be talking about wrestling, but most of all also about keeping cool and calm under high stress situations. So this is going to be one of those great podcasts. We're gonna be covering a lot of topics before we get started. Make sure to share, subscribe, hit that I like button, you know, we like it. It's not waste any more time. Welcome to the show, Ryan Blackwell, Welcome sir.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for being here.
Speaker 2: And I forgot to mention this before we started the show, but thank you very much for your service as well. So Ryan, before we get to that incredible time that you had two years ago, the herrowing experience, before we get to.
Speaker 4: That, when I learn a little bit more about you, what.
Speaker 5: Got you into right.
Speaker 3: Came background. I mean my father he wrestled and it never pushed it on me. Really. It was a actually I was like in pe class I remember, like elementary school, and they had like a wrestling week or whatever, and that's where I first learned. I came home until my dad said, hey, on a wrestle and he's like, I got you. Then from there it was just like wide open, you know. And I was when that happened, and you know, it's kind of took me, took me for a ride and really built me as a young man.
Speaker 2: You know, I really love wrestling a lot. People who've heard my podcasts are Urban Combatives. We've had a couple of wrestlers on here, and I always found such a great sport because it helps you in.
Speaker 4: So many different ways.
Speaker 2: The discipline factor, the conditioning factor, the mindset factor we'll be talking about later. Also the I think the self defense factor is pretty big.
Speaker 4: I mean we saw that. I don't know if you're a follower of UFC or not, Oh yeah, but.
Speaker 2: You remember years back. I mean and even now, anybody who sees a wrestler knows knows where that fight's going to end up. It's very unlikely it doesn't go to the ground. Did you find that wrestling helped you at all? I mean, it helped you a lot in the sense of feeling confident, feeling more secure about yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, you know, especially developing like a competitive mindset at an early age. It really kind of did that for me. And then you know, you just just you build on that, and then it just you set goals, you accomplished them, So goals accomplished them, and it just paralleled with life a lot and I feel like my dad kept me kind of on the straight and arrow as far as coaching me, and I had other great coaches and mentors along the road as well. And yeah, it really really I think played factor just molding me right, because it was it was a mentality that I was developing kind of subconsciously without really knowing, right, working hard, knowing hard work pays off, or trying to be the hardest worker in the room, or whatnot, developing all those principles and characteristics.
Speaker 2: Not just in the sense of feeling I don't want to say secure, but I guess I guess you could say secure in yourself, feeling that if somebody was to bully you, somebody was to pick on you, and you can take care of yourself.
Speaker 4: Did you ever have that?
Speaker 3: Yes, definitely. I mean it's you always kind of like every wrestling season, anything about it, Like if it's a lot of kids tested, you know, you wrestle for two years and you wrestle for three years. Now the new kid comes in room. What's easy to wrestle somebody that doesn't know what they're doing, you know what I mean. So it's kind of like, yeah, you get a sense of like a little bit of like, Okay, I have self confidence for sure, you know what I mean. I know how to use my body, you know, a little bit of spatial awareness, you know, because of boundaries on the wrestling mat, right, you have to keep it in bounds and body positioning and just leverage and yeah, all that stuff really really just like I said, runs that parallel with just life and applying it.
Speaker 4: I did it.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Did it help it all.
Speaker 5: During your Davy days?
Speaker 3: Navy days? Yeah, definitely with the mindset coming in being structured, you know what I mean. Wrestling's eighty percent mental uh, twenty percent physical. That's just the skills and techniques you learn. Then from there it's just muscle uh conditioning and reps, you know, muscle memory and your mindset. That's what you get out. There's a lot of goal setting and self talk, you know, I mean, arousal control. You got to be able to you know, like control your breathing, be able to kind of like see yourself in the arena or on the mat, wrestling some visionary opponent, right and getting yourself. That's a sports psychology aspect behind it. So like that that's the biggest thing, Like a lot of competitors and all sports across the boards where we're really with something as a individual as wrestling, where it's a one versus one type of thing. That's that's where I think the differences are one and lost the master. They're one of loss. Like it's in your mind, like how how well you like really tapped in and that's likes and wrestling's one of those deals where like you got a choice put to really, if you want to be successful, you got to kind of adapt and adjust, you know what I mean, You got to develop that mindset.
Speaker 4: That's great, that's extremely true.
Speaker 2: And wife, a lot of people don't tend to adapt, get stuck where they're at. And that's the interesting part is when we talked. Now we'll talk about a little bit about your story about what happened in Pensacola, because you attribute a lot of why you were able to get out of there and why you're able to do what you did to your wrestling background, to your mindset.
Speaker 4: But before we get to that, tell us a little bit about what happened.
Speaker 5: What it was.
Speaker 2: The first thing you heard was it was a gunshots, people yelling. What was the first thing to give you indication?
Speaker 5: There was trouble.
Speaker 3: Definitely, there's a gunshot that had sounded. It just echoed through the building and then you kind of hear the commotion unfold after that.
Speaker 4: What did you do when you heard the gun shots?
Speaker 3: So we there was like two other people in my office and then like what we said, secured the office, so you know, closed the door, and it took cover on some furniture office twelve by sixteen roughly furniture as you know, probably about ten feet away in the doors, press press furniture, you know, basic office material. And there's two windows located in the back of the office, and one of the sailors that was in there took cover behind one desk, and the other one took cover behind me, behind the other desk and the other side of the office. And that's kind of like as you know, and we got we got to call off, called on on one and then I had called the supervisor, told them not to enter the building. And that's pretty much how how the initial reaction went. Once the uh, the initial chaos unfolded.
Speaker 4: Did you have any.
Speaker 2: You know, people who are obviously who know about guns that bullets can go through those desks? You still put it in front of you because you never know why you could hit inside of there. Did you think about that at all, realizing Okay, this is kind of somewhat comfortable.
Speaker 5: I can't relate too much on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So it was kind of like quick and it wasn't really like you had like time. It was just like that happened, and then we are our target was engaged or our office was engaged, and we were the next two.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it was just kind of happened, and then uh, we were able to take cover and get a call off and say, you know, kind of report the shooting and then till the you know, the the other supers for office, not the end of the building, and you know, as he said that, that's whenever the gumy he had shot out. The door was like half window pane half wood, so he shut the window pane and stayed on the other side of the door. So he just kind of had the barrier of the door between us and just shot us. Like I said, ten and twelve feet away. I got hit six times, and then he had put for he had hit a fourteen round magazine, so they had put fourteen rounds in our office between the between all of the wounds received between everyone rounds. Yeah, so he had he had a pistol, a nine millimeter pistol and fourteen rounds.
Speaker 4: Man, what was going through your head at the time.
Speaker 3: Initial reaction was like, oh, man, I've just been shot, you know what I mean? But even prior to that, I would say, you kind of it's like fight or flight or freeze, right do And my initial reaction was like, I'm not dying today, you know. That was that was just kind of my mindset was like I just went straight to that. And then it was like automatically like solved the problem, you know, like that's like what this is what we're it, what we got like solved the problem. So that's like how it unfolded. Like once we were there and we got engaged. I took around in my arm and I was still on the call, and I had dropped my phone, and I rotated and I covered the female behind me, so I was still like a I wasn't on top of her, but I was, you know, roughly like a foot away from her, and I was in a crouching position. And I had gotten hit five more times and one off the side of my rib cage. Under my right arm, and I took two in my back since I was crouching. One on the right side of my lower back hit came outside inside of my thigh, and then the one and the left side of my back hit my public and kill my left hip. And then I took another round into the back of my right calf then went into my left foot, and from that moment, I just I I fell over right, and then I just was like, was really stunned, you know. And then I just like remember covering my head and just saying like, all right, I don't get hit in the head. Don't get hit in the head. You know. It was my initial reaction. And then from there I was like I kind of started like you don't want to die, and then like you start getting a little I got a little bit comfortable in a sense. I found a little bit of peace, kind of accepted my fate just because it was just ongoing and you're like, all right, play dead from me in my dead you know, I mean, you don't know if you're dead yet. Then all of a sudden, my phone just started going off against this so on the call, and it was just saying like black while he's still there, so it made me snap back into uh into things. I kind of had a daze to me, and I was able to come back through and I crawled over and got my phone and I told him that we have all I made a visual of the room and it was this is fractions and I saw the female I had been hitting her leg and I saw that the other sailing office said that he's been She had a flesh wing her leg and he had been hitting his leg. And I looked at the door. I didn't see a shooter, and I just said, hey, we've all been hit. I'm gon get us out here. I'll call you back. And then I just kind of just something like I only thought I got hit twice, like I felt it my arm. I felt the back of my leg, but I didn't feel the rest right. And I had a lot of adrenaline rolling, so I was I just hopped up and I just ran to the window and worked on getting the window open. But my there was an AC unit in the window and I had removed the window AC unit, but the window had slid down. In my right arm, I got hit my median nerves, so that gave me partial paralysis of my right limb and it I kind of I didn't have function at the time of being able to lift the window up, so I had another two in office were able to get up and help with the window. And then we had jumped out the window and proceeded to you know, carry on to find them and provide first aid.
Speaker 4: Tense and tense man, So when.
Speaker 5: You were.
Speaker 2: You think you were you were helping. Did you go out the window yet? Did you use your bloody arm?
Speaker 5: I think it was a winded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I had. I had went out the window. It was probably like seven foot droppers, so nothing too too bad. I was an elevated first level building, multiple story building. When we're on the first level, I was elevated and jumped out land in the butshes. The other two proceeded to come behind me, and I just remember elevating my arm on my head and I saw three guys standing at a building across is about one hundred yards away, and I the other person I was in office. When they got out, they kind of heard somebody they felt like coming back in, so they had went one way and I had already took another sailor with me and we started running towards the gentleman that I saw, telling him active shooter and you know, trying to get some help. And once we had gotten into the building, that's whenever we were able to kind of like stop for a second, you know, like really kind of like take a look at what just happened, because that at first it was initial just get get out of there, you know what I mean, And then like now it's like, okay, let's see what we have. Let's like make the call again. So I like, but but prior to all that, I had to like really get myself back into the right state of mind. So I was like trying to catch my breath and process everything. So I just called my wife real quick and told her I loved her, and I told her to call the family and told my love them. So I wanted to make sure she knew, you know, and everything that just happened. And I went right back to telling them like trying to get towels and provide first aid. And then on my arm, I was I was starting to black out a little bit because I was a lot of losing a lot of blood and I had just ran and I sat down and I kicked my feet up, and then I ended up kind of coming through again, and I just remember on my belt. I reached for my belt and I was able to get some assistance and take my belt off and apply a tournique to my right arm with my belt. And so that's where I thought the most like quick fixed option was my arm because my leg. I knew I had a bad spot on my leg. I just you know, I was just trying to move and get out of the building. So I had gotten them back on the phone. So I made the tourniquit and the guy that I had previously called that my supervisor that was on during the the he heard the whole shooting. He was en route to come get me because he was already on base, so I gave him some directions. He came to the building, he picked me and the other guy up, and then we were able to get to the front gate. And once we got to the front gate, it was kind of there was a lot of traffics all pushed back and everything was locked down, and there was trying to get the ambulance up front wasn't working. So we ended up getting transported, well, I got transported by the Sheriff's department here locally because we just have time to wait, right, And so they had put me in the back of the cruiser, and I guess I was. I was like I got out of the truck and I was walking around like when I pulled up in the pickup truck from my supervisor. I was walking around like saying, hey, you know, like we got to get to the hospital now, and they're like an once is coming and it wasn't coming yet because it was so you know, traffic was backed up and everything. So just tough situations since morning rush hour, right, and that was on base and whatnot. And so the one of the sheriffs you said, you're not dying on my watch game my cruiser. So then I had opened up the door and I saw another police officer back that had been shot in the leg and it was just bleeding out pretty good in the backseat of the car. So as I crawled in the back of the car, I stuck my left elbow into his wound on his leg to stop the loss of blood. And then he had ended up pulling on my turniquit because I was holding on the tournique with my left arm to apply the pressure. So we had to help me out by pulling on the belt to help like keep my arm tight, and that's what we did to the hospital, and yeah, I ended up going into the hospital and once we had pulled up the hossbody and I walked right in and then kind of went from there as far as what what actually happened happened, you know what I mean, get the to what the damage is.
Speaker 2: Incredible amount of mindfulness that you had being in that presence stays that phenomenon. Now you attribute a lot of that to you mentioned earlier, to wrestling helping you to be able to stay calm and focused.
Speaker 4: Is that true?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: I would say, just with you're presenting a lot of stressful situations in life in general, but especially with the sport of wrestling. You know, you're a competitor. You're having to make weight, You're going to practices, you got to do school. There's a lot of different things. And I haven't competed, you know, since two thousand and fifteen seasons, so I've been I've been out of college for a while now, but still sticks with you because it becomes so muscle memory and second nature that the mindset is just kind of instilled and you just it just builds throughout life, right, you get a little bit of a callus and a little bit more of a callous and definitely staying composed. And I want to say like through some of the military training as well, just being in a stressful environment, staying composed and just like kind of figure it out, yeah what I mean, not don't like freak out, figure it out. So that was kind of like the motto, but it was also like it's one one shot. That's it, you know, like there's it's not really like you can run it back or this don't work. We got something. I was like, we're on a limited timeline. Like throughout that duration of events, like I just described you, it took twenty seven minutes from the moment I got shot because of that phone call that I had made to the point of acting the office, through all the little checkpoints along the way to the to when I had ride to the hospital. I had made one last phone call to my father right when I was pulling up tell him at where I was at, and he was on his way there. My parents live out of states, They're on their way already, and the kind of everything logged the timeline, so it just kind of shows you there in twenty seven minutes. It was it was a rush. It was it seems like hours, you know, as it unfolded in minutes in between, but it was seconds in fractions. It was it moved fast.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the weird things when I've spoken to police officers and special forces guys as well, who in combat, especially that the officers. There's one officer, Brian Murphy, a buddy of mine. He was he encountered a mass shooter and at a sick temple in Wisconsin. But we were talking about time dilation. In twenty seven minutes, that's like a week. Yeah, when you're that kind.
Speaker 5: Of everything just slows down.
Speaker 2: It's kind of interesting how our brain starts slowing everything down and.
Speaker 5: Then we have auditory exclusion.
Speaker 2: You don't hear very much of what's going around you, and it's it's really an amazing thing. So I can't even imagine. Twenty seven minutes must have felt like forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was especially with like the amount of blood that I was losing too, you know what I mean trying to like, so it was like I was in a race against time. But it was like an hour glass, like it was my body was essentially an hourglass, right, it was running out of blood because I was bleeding out, and it was I needed to get somewhere fast. And it happened and it worked out. But it took a lot of like willpower and just not giving up, you know what I mean, Like staying focused, you know what I mean, staying composed, Like Okay, you get a wrench stone in here, what do we do now? All right, figure it out, and you just kind of just keep just keep even keeled. I guess, you know, you know, I would say like that would be like the best thing. And then I and then at the end of the day, I'd already accepted my fate, you know what I mean. I accepted my fate when I initially got shot because I thought I was going out then and then my phone on the with it still be on the call brought me back in because it was saying, like Blackboy's still there, you know what I mean. So I had already went through that whole traumatic experience. And I don't even know if you want to say traumatic, it's definitely like undescribable as far as like what I what I encountered, as far as like as soon as all that initial gunshot had happened, and my body it took that, you know, took all that force and the blows to it. I you know what I mean, You're kind of drifting off.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: So it was it was kind of just crazy, Like I said, the experience as far as like what the human he is capable of doing. And then with me having my degree in exercise physiology and being able to provide like a wrestling background behind it and getting you know, some education training through the US State Wrestling and whatnot, it allows me to kind of really apply my knowledge that I've learned throughout all that with training and just like how I had to cost me back for four months, so I had to do a lot of physical therapy and uh I had I had it reverse, which was which I was very lucky to have. Oh yeah, I had my body and I had to do some very extensive physical and occupational therapy. And it kind of made me tap back into, you know, the grassroots of what my education was and what my foundation was and to be abld even with my diet with the claus to me, I had to change my diet up a lot, but I was used to doing that as a competitor and a wrestler, it was something else second nature to me. So it was just being a diet during the season for eight months was nothing new, you know. So this was only four months really and then you know, after the math, you got to kind of get to be careful with certain items. But for the most part, I was really able to rely on my training, right, And that's just like through that whole evolution of events, I was able to rely on my training and even to the point of first staid. On my gap between the Navy and college, I was in ocean lifeguard in Myrtle Beach, so I was able to learn a lot of first aid training as well, you know, during that time. And so it was really, like I said, just relying on training, like kind of tapping back into what Ryan Blackwell is like made of in a sense.
Speaker 5: Yes, he touched on so many time, so many topics.
Speaker 2: Again, we're talking to Ryan Blackman from well Trained Elite dot com. You can find out more about him in an amazing story and what his company does over there as well. And what his company does is actually one of the things I think he even agrees with is saved him, which is being physically fit, having that mindset, and it's amazing. A couple of points, I guess one, just listen to you talk about that. How powerful a simple word or a couple of words blackwell, are you still there?
Speaker 5: Kept you focused and motivated you.
Speaker 4: In a sense.
Speaker 5: That's amazing. Just to hear those words, how powerful they are, because we hear.
Speaker 2: Them all the time in the movies, right right, You don't think about it, but now hearing you just gave me a whole different perspective on that just changed the way your mind worked.
Speaker 5: It just flipped everything on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, like I said, very unique experience to say the least.
Speaker 4: Now on your physical fitness.
Speaker 2: But actually before we get to the physical fitness component, one more thing before we get to that, the tourniquit. In today's world, I see a lot of survivalists and a lot of people training individuals out there. We live in a very different world. In the last three years, crime is going up, but this is actually a really important part of it. I see some of these individuals now either gun classes or self defense classes, but they're also incorporating tourniquet training. How do you think that was obviously for you was quite important but how about you think for the average person.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's definitely poring for the average person. I would say just to be CPR in First Aid certif CPR in First Aid certified in general, you know what I mean, and then like you can do your advanced training as far as the tourniquit training, but even just having basic just like CPR training for especially for parents, you know, being able to choking or this or that. But uh, that that first and foremost. You know, like there's a lot of you know, resources in the community. I'm sure you could like get those or especially online or whatnot. And uh but outside that, yeah, with the turnerquit, that was just something like you see it in the movies, you know what I mean, you see it on this It wasn't like you're just like living this movie script. But it it really like it's kind of like the perfectay to paint the picture, you know what I mean. Like you're sitting there, You're like, I'm bleeding out, what do I do? You know what I mean? And I'm fading out, like I'm going I'm getting lightheaded, and then it's just a go tournique. My brain just went straight tournique and then it just said belt, you know. And then from there, as soon as I had sensed it tight on my arm, an elevated mom up, I had like a sense of adrenaline come back over me again. So you know what I mean. It kind of maybe that initial like squeeze because I developed a crush injury. So I also had my median nerve had was partially severed, so my middle finger or my ring finger, my middle finger, my index finger, and my thumb were affected. My pinky and half of my ring finger or operational. But now I'm getting function back in my hand, but it's still like none be the touch and whatnot, but it's coming back. So that's from the nerve injury, nerves, you know, regenerate one over time. And then with the crush injury from the tournique from squeezing it so tight. With that crush, it also sent that pain signal to my brain. I think the receptors took it as another source of adrenaline, you know, and it was able to help me kind of stay focused again. And I was like, all right, check that box in a sense, right, because it was checkpoints out of the office, into this building, out of this building, into the truck and in the truck in the cruiser. Right, So that's like the best way for me to process it and break it down is like essentially, you know, there's like checkboxes along the way, you know, it was just one of them. Then Okay, then what happened next after that? Right, got back on the phone, made the call. So yeah, definitely important. Even that'd be familiar, I would say, just in case, like you got to use a shirt or a rag or something to know, like, hey, apply pressure to when things happened, you know what I mean, Like that was not expected or planned. I had to react. You know, I got to work at five point thirty that morning, and that happened at six forty six, you know, so I wasn't there that long, so it was really I also had my morning coffee was still in my muck, you know. So it was an early morning.
Speaker 2: And I don't know how old you are, but I just got flashbacks Rambos. I remember he did the turnikut?
Speaker 4: Remember that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it like that. So it's it's really bizarre for me to like see the way that it unfolded because there was a ninety nine point nine chance. I mean, we were they're shooting fish in a barrel, you know what I mean. It was just how fast were swimming circles, is really what it was. And to get out of that, and everybody in the office made it out of that. Everybody lived, that was in our office, We were able all to make it out of that. That that to me is us that's that's just you know, insane in a sense like this.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, there was eight of you, I think right they got out.
Speaker 3: There was three meet including me. There's three in my office. There was there was another, there was another lady that was upstairs, another one that was downstairs. Three for five, and there was three yes that that ended up being passing away. So total eight and there was a few two eight and the three police officers that were winded as well. So love in total.
Speaker 4: Do you think the police officers took them out, didn't they?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the swat team they came and they definitely they came in and eliminated him. So it was, uh, it went on for a good duration of time because he was able to get the advantage on him, you know, because there's a double story building, so it was kind of get the high spots in some areas in the initial till uh, you know, until they were able to get get the vantage point.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to neutralize that threat for sure, and thankfully everybody got out of there. Amazing story. Incredible story. And for those out there in the situational awareness who are listening to this, to that podcast situation, it's tactics and there's a.
Speaker 4: Lot here to learn.
Speaker 2: Keeping your head on I guess focused, keeping focused throughout the entire time, because it's not the time to worry about anything at that moment. It's the time about getting her plan and getting out. You know, plenty of time to worry afterwards.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: It's like not being like hyper vigilant or like anything like that, But it's more just about being self confident and ready in a sense. You don't have to gloat, you know what I mean, boast and brag about I got this, I got that, I know this, I know that. You can be like a silent assass and you can be the gray man, right, and you can kind of just know what you know and then just go about your life and then if one day, if you have to act on it, you're still have enough self confidence that you should give your best effort you know what I mean that That's all I was trying to do that day was give my best effort. And I knew, like I was, I was gonna go out without it. I wasn't gonna go out without a fight, you know what I mean. I was going to go as far and as long as I could. That was like a you know kind of like.
Speaker 2: Where we went incredible stuff. How did it change you afterwards? Did you become you mentioned hyper vigilin? Are you more hypervisual? A? You're hypervigilin now.
Speaker 3: In Since I think, like you know, there's a few positive things you should know, like you know, like even going to a right, don't put your back through the door. That's just not my style. Know your exits right, know where your exits right. Things happen all the time. Know where your exits right. Kitchen fire happens. You know your exits right, and then knowing what your potential threats may be right. And you can really kind of spot this on and it's not like you stereotyping or classifying somebody, but you can see if somebody's belligerent, or if somebody is coming in and they just look like they're they're doing something out of the norm in a sense of causing it a distraction or being very loud or you know what I mean, It kind of gives it stuff away. It's the elephant in the room essentially, notice the elephant in the room, right that that's kind of like the biggest things that I feel like you're really focus on more kind of seeing things before that before they happen, which would probably be thinking three, four or five steps ahead. Right, You're trying to play everything out and not just act on a quick impulse decision. You're kind of but you're you're working it out like you can work out a little bit faster, right, you can work out to step three a little bit quicker. And it's kind of like relies back on muscle memory and like with like wrestling, right as the example, like when you wrestle somebody or three moves ahay, because you know, if you take them down, you got to work to score points to do a turn and after that you're trying to pin them and then you're trying to set them up for this and you know what I mean. So it's that's, like I said, the parallels with life in the sport.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a great example I know.
Speaker 2: I was watching some some wrestling tapes the other day, and there's so much going.
Speaker 5: On in wrestling. People don't realize it.
Speaker 2: It's like a chess game, like you mentioned, because you have a lot of fake outs. You know, you try to grab one foot, You act like you're going to grab one foot, so they step forward or back, and then you grab that foot they put forward. That's what you wanted. You baited them into a certain direction. So it's interesting because there's a lot of chess playing there. And I also want to make sure people are realized because sometimes you'll get this, oh, they're paranoid, but paranoia is not that. Paranoia is thinking you're feeling or feeling that you're threatening some capacity and there's nothing going on, but you don't feel threatened.
Speaker 5: You're actually looking to see.
Speaker 2: Your environment and you're trying to plan ahead, which is a very different game than paranoia.
Speaker 4: Paranoia is a mental.
Speaker 2: Health condition a lot of times if you are and those individuals can't function on life a lot of times when they get hampered. But a huge difference between that and what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's more just about being prepared in a sense, you know, like if like we live from here in Florida, so you're prepared during hurricane season for like when hurricanes are coming, right, it's just more so being prepared rather than being scared or this or that, Like, yeah, there's gonna be fear involved, believe that, you know what I mean. It's gonna be how you face the fear. It's not going to not be present. If that ever situation occurred, I know it was very present, but it was like how do you face it and stay focused and being able to like apply it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, absolutely absolutely. That's a great example. And heroes are not fearless. They go there, they're having fear. They're just very brave and they go through that fear right, right, we're all afraid.
Speaker 5: That in those moments.
Speaker 2: Later on you realize holy completely, well, I think what's going on? Yeah, I've talked to a couple of guys on Delta Force, which was interesting because their mindset's a little different.
Speaker 4: Those guys are different as it is.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think if you tap into that more and more times, you know what I mean, and you become comfortable because at the end of the day, it's about being uncomfortable, right, And what's the only way to get comfortable uncomfortable by getting being uncomfortable, right, And if you make yourself uncomfortable a lot, it's going to become the norm to where you're not going to probably have that fear. It's normal to you. That becomes normal, you know. And then that's where you have the transition back when these guys go to try to adapt back into civilian life, that they became a new norm. And that's like kind of beyond what we do for wrestling and fitness at the gym, we do a lot for veterans too, so like because like we kind all know like what it is, you know, like purple heart reciping or not, you know, disabled one hundred percent or not. Like, we do a lot of stuff for veteran share at the gym, trying to provide them outlets or the resources that they need. So yeah, it's been, it's been. It's been a very very crazy life experience for sure.
Speaker 2: I want to transition a little to the fitness in our last minutes here. I know that's what you focused a lot on over there. Will you physically fit when that incident occurred?
Speaker 3: I was, Yes, I was. It's kind of that mindset it's always kind of staying shape. I had just I had wrist surgery, so I had my right hand reconstructed, my wrist bone in there. So that's why I was in limbo while I was out here kind of recovering from that surgery. I had about a year prior to the shooting. It was in twenty eighteens when I had that wrist surgery and they fused my wrist, so like they took some bones out and fused four bones together, and it created kind of like a frozen joint in a sense in my right arm. So it was just more my right arm. Yeah. So but I had started I was kind of like running a lot, you know what I mean. And I was like going to the gym and I was doing you know, different things and swimming right, and it's just kind of like, yeah, I just kept that foundation. I wasn't like at my peak performance by any means. I'd definitely been in better shape, but I was definitely had a foundation. I wasn't with a very like sediment or anything like that. Like I was active.
Speaker 2: The reason I asked because I know a lot of people who've been injured. I haven't asked people to have been shocked, but I know from speaking to doctors, recovery is usually a lot better if you're in good physical condition, right.
Speaker 3: I feel like I kind of like I wear my wounds well in a sense, I was able to bounce back, you know what I mean. So, like I opened the gym within the first year of the shooting, so I had a lot of bag for the first four months of it. So at SAMs they got the reversal. I kind of like on that second half of the year, I focused all my intention on creating this well trained you know, the training facility, and we made it happen a year to the date of the shooting. And that was still with my arm all messed up and my legs and everything. But I was able to like focus, and I put myself in a lot of uncomfortable situations to be able to like get my dream a reality as far as what we had going on here. And it was a lot of help in the community, a lot of uh you know, just like kind of tapping in their own personal resources to just put the put the bill and everything, and it really, uh it really all came together. But it also helped me heal because I was forced to be active. I was forced to use my right hand, which I was I had, I was, I was like briefly I was right hand dominant. Then throughout the recovery, especially with the closs me bag, I was left hand dominant. That I had to learn how to do left hand because I kid had no use of my right arm at the time. Then as my function started coming back in my right arm, I started learning how to do everything right handed again. So now I've like, you know, I had to reteach myself how to do everything back to writing right handed. Wow, there's thanks. Yeah that you know that I have some issues with as far as just like pinching and grabbing just because of the uh tissue, Like this finger is feeling numb. But yeah, it's been. It's been a lot of a lot of a lot of stuff through the recovery that definitely attributes back to this well trained the facility, you know what I mean, and being able to kind of stay focused through the whole duration of the events.
Speaker 2: Tell us a little bit about functional fitness. I think we were talking a little bit before the interview. Tell us them about what that's all about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we we we provide a functional fitness class, and it's more circuit training and durrance base where we're kind of moving weight. It's not super heavyweight, and there are different stations set up so you know, essential circuit training, resistance, you know training, or maybe some type of pliometric or some something of that nature, like mix it all up, right, so you kind of get a full body workout and it's on on clock, and it's like you know, certain periods of you're active and there's rest periods in between. And it's been really a good hit, especially with the younger generation. So our our gym is primarily youth. Actually, like I would say, like ninety percent of our members our youth Thistle or youth. We have over one hundred and thirty members currently and coming on our second year coming up this you know, anniversary of the shooting Summer six and so we have the other ten percents made up of like the active duty or retired personnel, military personnel, or just people just in the community that want to stay active. And we have some adult programs, but primarily we do a lot for the youth with wrestling, and we have a PE class, so we do a lot of we have a well trained PE so that's elementary age based kids where they come in and we do kind of sometimes we do the old school pe games like double dutch and you know, kickball and dodgeball, and then other times we're doing relay races, are different exercises with like tennis balls or whatever, so we really mix it up and try to make it fun. Really, our biggest goal is to teach them how to just do fitness for life in a sense. So if we're doing some then with stations and it's minimal equipment and a lot of this stuff they can purchase now from Amazon or Walmart or whatever. Now they're they're learning something they can apply the rest of their life because now they know how to structure a workout, they're literally just taught themselves. Okay, I can put five exercises together. I can do thirty seconds on the clock. I can do a twenty second rest in between, and I do that five times to each station, and that's do that a couple of times, you know, two times through and change up a couple of times, and that's almost a thirty minute workout, you know, and then we add you know, your of course, we like to warm them up properly so we can try to do injury prevention and then we then you know, cool them down and stretch and do a lot of mobility work as well, and which helps also with the kids, you know, with growth aiding in their development right because they're really they're in their developmental years, especially as they're entering puberty and that middle school age range and that's where we have the bulk of our functional fitness class is primarily that middle school high school age range, which is perfect, you know, because we're able to really get them active and kind of get them really familiar and having fun. It's not it's not your typical gym, you know, it's not like the barbells and squats there wrestle that we have a lot of equipment, you know, as far as like sandbags or dumbbells or slam balls or you know, dummies or punching bags. We have all that so kind of helps you get creative and then it taps in that creativity side of things too, and it's just really makes fitness fun. And that's the day. We want to make it fun. We want them to learn something and do it right proper form, you know, especially with our wrestlers that we're able to interact with. We can really touch based on a lot of nutritional aspects as far as key hydration and what foods to stay away from that might be too rich in this or too much in that, you know, and like kind of keeping a clean diet as far as like vegetables and fruits. We don't do anything crazy. We just really tell them keep a colorful plate, you know, and drink water, you know, stay hydrated. Uh. You know, if if you had the option between cookies and an apple, you're gonna take the cookie with apples the better option in the sense it feel on your next work out, right, or a lot of these guys they love Russell, they love competing, and we have kids competing from fourteen years old through eighteen years old, so we have a wide age base, right, so there's a different way to appeal to each and every one of them. And of course as they get into high school, they're doing a little bit more weight management. So we really help those guys the best we can. But as a kid, just with them developing, we just really just try to tell their parents just hey, you know, if they want to PB ANDJ before bed, they're probably tired and they're probably hunger because they burn a lot of calories from Wressel projects today, you know, so give it to them, you know that you want them to grow, right, you don't want especially this before like wrestling, people feel, you know, the lighter you are, the more advantage you have. But that's not really the case. We're just trying to, you know, just build, build something that's like lasts long, you know what I mean, enough for them to be able to give back to the next generation. That's kind of what you want to do, right, and it just kind of keeps that circle rolling. And it's just such like tenfold, you know, from every direction, from the functional fitness to just the advice we can provide on certain topics, from the better inside of the house of the fitness to the nutrition and it's very We're very fortunate, need let's just say, I'm very fortunate myself to being able to respond the way I did, to be racked through this situation and be able to kind of do the right steps all along the way and be able to continue to apply that mindset now to you know, the business aspect of life and provide my family and you know, we just wropprom my new baby grown to the world. She's five months old. Oh congratulations, it's been it's been a roller coaster of events, right, very very active past two years. So that's been very thankful and gratefully.
Speaker 2: That's a great program. People don't realize how important it is for kids to be healthy and physically fit. It really changes the dynamic of their development is to get older. It makes it a lot easier for them to stay fit as they get older, and makes some body develop a much stronger. There's so much going on there, and that's a great, great program. I'm really glad to hear that. And again I'm a big opponent of wrestling. So if the kids are training, they learned discipline, they learn self defense. There's a lot of things we've learned to respect other people. You know, in today's society, Ryan, I think you and I both know. You know, I think people have gotten a lot of softer in today's society.
Speaker 4: We get a lot of what we want. If you want something, to just go grab it or order it. It's done.
Speaker 2: And you made a comment earlier, did you have to get comfortable being uncomfortable? And that's so true, because I think we've gotten so used to being comfortable, even the supply chain stuff that we see now.
Speaker 5: You know, people have to shake stuff off.
Speaker 2: Last year we had that incredible weirdness with the toilet paper thing. I think that was a classic example of people not being comfortable being uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: Crazy times.
Speaker 2: Again, Ryan Blackwell, you can find more about him at well Trained Elite dot com. I can only say it's really you're an amazing person, an amazing story, and I thank.
Speaker 4: God you're on our side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, thank you, and.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much for your service.
Speaker 2: Again, any other places you want to send up besides Well Trained to Lead dot com, I'm not sure if you have an Instagram accounter.
Speaker 3: That's uh yeah, everything is that well Trained to Lead. So if you have an in and Facebook, they can just put that in and then if you go to the website just for for the contact format, doing information or if you know you want to you know, have we travel a lot of tournaments, you know, so we do also like travel teams. You know, if you're interested in are well trained for a weekend, we could kind of do something like that for coming to your neighborhood where we're wrestling a tournament. And yeah, other than that, any just advice needed or you know, we're always doing stuff for the kids. We always you know, are very accepting of anything, you know, wrestling shoes, the headgear to anything. A lot of the kids we try to get back to them the best we can. So like donation wise, we have you know, we have the U Shoes where we kind of go like get shoes back and giving back to a kid in the program. You know, so it just kind of cycles its way through to the to know good no more and you just doumb away, right, and it's kind of kids grow fast enough, so any anything like that, you know, it's really just all about the kids, the community and the veterans is our biggest approach at the moment. And yeah, no appreciate you guys support. And like I said, you can any of any well trained to lead on any of those Twitter or not, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and then of course you can fill out to contact us for him.
Speaker 5: We'll get back with you. Awesome stuff.
Speaker 2: Thanks again Ryan for doing this, Thank you everyone for listening. They should have shared subscribe hit that I like button. Stay safe out there, everybody,