Speaker 1: Special Operations Cobert oh Spionage The Team House with your hosts Jack Murphy and David Park.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, welcome to episode three hundred and sixty two of the podcast. Ah sorry, I just had to mute something. Episode three hundred and sixty two of The Team House. I'm Jack here with Dave and our guest on tonight's show is nic O'Kelly. Nick served in Special Forces and first Group in Okinawa, deployed to the Philippines, went to flight school, served in third Combat Aviation Brigade, deployed Afghanistan, went and assessed for one sixtieth Special Operations Aviation. You were a Blackhawk guy, didn't direct apployment, and then got medically retired and now run a financial planning firm. And you have a book called Stigma coming out October twenty first.
Speaker 3: So that's the thumbnail sketch. Nailed it, Yeah, nailed it. Thanks for coming in. Yeah, yeah, I know, Thanks for having.
Speaker 4: Me, Thanks for coming up to It's always it's always fun to have people in the studio.
Speaker 3: I agree, it's a lot better environment, it's a lot more fun, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Nick, I mean the question we typically ask our guests. First, is their origin story, if you want to tell us a little bit about kind of like your upbringing and how that took you towards the military.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So grew up in western Washington, Seattle area. Ish pretty traditional family, right, like nothing crazy. I didn't have like a traumatic childhood or anything. Family is six so, four siblings living in the suburbs of Seattle. And then I did the traditional like went to college because that was the right thing to do route, but found myself drinking my way out of college very quickly after about a year. You have a good time. Yeah, So I like got the freedom out of high school and just went hard in college, and like it was one of those things where like I wouldn't go to class for a week and then I'm like, eh, I don't think it's worth going now. I think I missed too much. So long story short, I dropped out of college after a year and a half, went back home, worked for my dad for a year. He owned like a car magazine, and really was just partying and doing nothing with my life. So fortunately in college I did RTC, so I had like some exposure to the army and kind of what it was, so That's what led me to be like, okay, I should probably do something. Let's look at the military. I initially went to the Marines and they told me, basically, we can't guarantee your job, can't guarantee your rems. So if you enlist, that's fine, but we don't you don't know what you're gonna do. So I was like, no, I don't want to do that. So went over to the Army recruiter and he showed me the SF recruiting video and I was like, hell, yeah, that's those bad thing I've ever seen. Yeah, so let's go what do I need to do? And yeah, signed the dott A Line eighteen X ray and then shipped off for Basic in July twenty ten.
Speaker 4: So did you know anything about Special Forces or special operations at all prior to that?
Speaker 3: Not really, I mean other than like the movies, Yeah, you know, nothing, Like I wasn't the kid that was like I want to go do this, you know. I didn't have that like I want to go be a groom Bret or go be a Navy seal. Now. I just was like that sounds really cool, sounds really hard, so let's try it.
Speaker 4: I think I think that for like athletic guys, it's like they they you know, therefore shows the PJ or CCT, the Navy shows the seals, the Army shows the ranger.
Speaker 3: Of stuff, and they know that a lot of those guys are going to wash out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like they're going to go you know, be the you know the deck cans, you know. Yeah, most is made sort of the you know the gun seconds, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's that's great.
Speaker 4: So what did you did you do any training prior to going to s FAS or prior to going to basic and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was because of RTC. I knew kind of the standards, right, like the PT tests and stuff, So I knew what I needed to work on. So I was already a pretty good runner. That obviously goes so far when you're enlist. So I had the running background and that was the biggest thing that I think like made me succeed and do well throughout the whole entire pipeline was just the running background. But yeah, so training, but not like I didn't follow like a specific program. It was more just like all right, let's go sweat my ass off every day and yeah, yeah, getting get in good shape.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's always interesting me too, because like there's such a culture and we've had like do on you know, like there's such a culture around you know, kids like psyching themselves up for uh, for whatever selection is they're going to, and then other guys who are just like Okay, I'll I'm mena, let's try this, and they just do it. Yeah, you know, And you know, I think obviously fitness in shape and condition are a part of it, but there's also just like the intent of I'm.
Speaker 3: Just going to do this. Yeah. And I also I didn't mention, but during my childhood, like my mom was, she was hard, like she was a drill sergeant at home. Basically I was the kid if I got like a B plus, it was like what happened? Would you do wrong? Not like good John?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: So I always had those high standards that were just ingrained with me, and I think that like helped a lot throughout the whole thing.
Speaker 2: So twenty ten, you're coming into the military. Tell us a little bit about like the eighteen X ray experience.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, all right, so it had I will say like it had more from like the early two thousand days because I heard horror stories from back then where they just miserable, right, And I think by now, by the time I was going through, there were enough cadre that were eighteen X rays that they had a little more sympathy. Right. Yeah, it wasn't like it wasn't like what are we doing with this eighteen xt reprader? Right? They were like, Okay, now I'm an atwen X ray. It's that kind of you know, mutual respect a little bit. But I will say like X rays have such a leg up compared to somebody just coming from the regular Army as far as like selection, right, because you go to Sopsey right before, so you have three weeks where you're basically working out twice a day, sleeping like ten hours a day, and just eating protein and getting ready for selection. You know, they teach you land as you already have kind of a pre selection course built in. Big Army doesn't get that, right, they exactly. So we have so we show up to selection kind of already and you hear all the G two through the pipeline right through the guys that are ahead of you, So you already kind of have an idea of like what you need to do to be successful. So I do think the X ray program like is good in that regard. Now, I will say like when you get later in the course like SUT and stuff like that, that's when being an X ray sucks because leadership experience and stuff like that was not was not something that we had ever done before. So I was just like, how am I supposed to tell this E six ranger? You know what to do when I'm an EAT three you know what I mean? With no combat, no no experience or anything. So so it's good and bad. I guess what was that like? Working with you know, a bunch of salty characters from the Big Army that come in there. There was there was hidden miss Some of them were really cool, like some of them were really down to earth. And I also think it like depended on what type of X ray you were, you know, because there were some X rays that just kind of had it coming and didn't you know they were cocky. Yeah, shouldn't have been, you know. So I do think that played a factor. I tried to stay humble throughout it, so I never got too much. Yeah. Yeah, I was kind of trying to be the great man, so I didn't get too much ship from the hardened war vets, you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: Two tens, So there there were probably quite a few combats for sure going through that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, yep. And what MS did you get assigned? Charlie? Okay? So I was originally gonna be a Bravo and then there was another guy going to OK and fortunately he wanted Charlie or excuse me, he wanted Bravo and I wanted Charlie. So we were able to do a hot swap in the so he already knew he was going to OK or no, good, good point. He we had our languageurs already because language was first. Yeah, that's what it was. So we both had Asian languages. That's what it was. Good point. Good point, because we didn't find out till yeah, until stage after sage. Actually, yeah, yeah, that's that's cool. What what what is the.
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What was the language?
Speaker 4: So they give you guys like the D lab or whatever it is, and then how long is the language course for because it's.
Speaker 3: A shorter course. It was six months when I went through, So yeah, I did Korean. It was six months. Is the goal like one one or yeah, Gold's one one? Which yeah, I feel like after six months one one is not hard to Yeah, there's plenty of time. I disagree. Maybe it depends on the language. It might depend on the person too. I was a hardhead.
Speaker 2: So Charlie, Uh, any fun stories you want to tell about going through the Charlie Course or Robin Sage or anything before we move on.
Speaker 3: So I got two stories that I'll tell, Okay. One of them was me being a dumbass and almost getting kicked out of the Q course. So so here I am this. I think I was twenty two. Yeah, I was twenty two at the time, so twenty two years old. We're going through the Q course, crushing it, crushing it, you know, as well as you can. And we were going out on weeknights, right like, and just showing up at five six am for no worries, right, everything's fine. One night we go out and we were out till like three am, and I think we had to catch a five am bus for the Charlie Course, and my alarm goes off or no, not even my alarm. I get like my phone's just going crazy and a buddy's calling me like, dude, where the hell are you? And I literally just woke up and I'm like, shit, he's like the buses here, like you probably have like two minutes, dude, and so throw my stuff on real quick. Paul asked down to the bus and I kid you not, like the bus doors were closing when I was running up to it. Knocked on the door and luckily the bus drivers of civilian, so it's not like Cadria there. But I barely made it. And you know, they read like I would have probably been kicked out of the course or at least recycled at a minimum. So like, yeah, the just shoe string, you know, metric for meeting the standard out there at the Q course. You know.
Speaker 2: The worst thing they I think they did for us was when we started having night classes in language school. Because you're in class from like one or two in the afternoon to like six or seven o'clock at.
Speaker 3: Night, and then you can go out drinking all night. You don't have to be into one in the afternoon. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were hitting it pretty hard. That's brutal. That's like the pilot life that was. That was not a good idea of them to do that. Yeah, yeah, that's why I did.
Speaker 3: Not a lot of self selection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why why I maybe didn't do so good on the language proficiency test. Yeah, don't let a bunch of young twenty year old's hard charge and sleep in every day. That's not not a recipe for success. And what's the second?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, second story? So this one was actually in Robin Sage. So I met my wife at the Q course. Really we could that's a funny story too. But I met my wife at the Q course and I got engaged before Sage and we were literally getting married the day after I graduated the Q course. So in Sage, our g chief and the locals or whatever set up a scenario where we went and played poker with the locals, and there was this young chick there that her job was to seduce one of us, try to seduce one of us, and of course I had to be the freaking sacrificial lamb, and you know, she was going at me hard, and I was just like what do I do? Like I'm literally engaged in the real world, you know, and like, but I it's you know, it's Sage. She was supposed to play the part, and I'm just like, how do I navigate this situation? And I ended up kind of like lightly stiff arming, you know, enough to be like respectful, but like be like, guys, help me out here, Like I need some help, I need to curve. I need somebody to step in and help out. And fortunately, like I don't know if they just sensed that I was like extremely uncomfortable with it or something, but it did back off. But man, that could have been like that was one of those moral dilemmas. Who was like toling her garter, be like literally like leaning over my shoulder, you know, and like putting her stuff on me. And I'm just like, all right, I just got engaged. You know this is not good. You went through a fun Robin sage. Yeah, I mean that was one day, so I mean, are you sure that was not on Liberty? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: Those story about your wife though. Can we save that for a bonus segment for our patrion Vider? Yeah, okay, great, try to describers.
Speaker 3: Hey, if you're not subscribing to our patron you should wings down the description. It's gonna be salacious, that's right. I And so, by the grace of God, graduate the Q course get married the day after yep. And now you guys are bags and baggage going towed Japan. Yeah, and my wife was in RTC at East Carolina University, so I was marrying up she was. I was yeah obviously at E five when I graduated, but she was commissioning like six months after I graduated. So it's one of those things that we were like, we gotta get married before you're in the army, you know, just to avoid that conflict and everything. But the other curve ball was like there was no position for her to go to Okinawa. She was a signal officer, So it's like, shit, are we going to be like separated by you know, worlds right when we get married for a while. Fortunately, and you know how the army works, if you know somebody, it helps. So her dad was a forward colonel at West Point and he was able to literally call HRC and get orders like the next day, Like we tried all the avenues first, right and nothing just crickets. And then literally she's like, Dad, I don't know what else to do. Can you make a phone call next day? Shit orders? I was like a kidding me. But the crazy thing is like they had a slot for her out there, like she slipt stepped in and was a platoon leader, and it was actual like an M too slot. So it's like, why are you guys you know whatever, bureaucracy, but but yeah, worked, it's the military, right And how'd you like Gokinawa? I loved it for the short period that I was there. I mean we were honestly like, I was probably tdy more than I was on island. But now it was really cool.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: We I showed up to my team at a or my company at an interesting point though, because they were they were in Afghanistan when I got there. So I was basically showed up with like six other X rays and we were reard. You remember day fielding. Yeah, yeah, so me and Dave showed up at the same time. Okay, so we were weird d and then the company lost a guy while we were literally like right when we got there, and so when they came back, man, we were just these X rays, no experience, and I think the majority of us were X rays, if not all of us, so no experience or anything, you know, very green, and we were not treated well, like, we were not accepted right away. It was very much like the we got our click, you guys stayed in your lane, shut up you know, do what you're told, which is expected to some extent, right, but I feel like it was definitely like magnified by all that, just like the twenty eleven twelve. Yeah, so it'd been twenty twelve, Okay, yep, yeah, so so yeah, I got in a company. I mean they yeah, they had a pretty brutal deployment. So so we just had a lot of I would say imposter syndrome, you know, because we didn't know anything. You know, we thought we were cool and then we got there and we got humbled real quick. Sure, but hey, guys, it's Jack. I want to tell you guys about the sponsor for today's show. It's Mando. Mando makes a whole series of male grooming products. They are unique and not There are a deodorant that you can use all over your body on armpits if you like, but also wherever else you may deem necessary. And I have been using these products for about three months now. I've been using the body wash it's Bourbon Leather. I've been using their bar of soap, which I really enjoyed, and also their deodorant. And so I exercise a lot and get very sweaty, so I need a deodorant that's going to do the job, and Mando has come through for me. You know. The body wash was great. I actually used all of that, need to reorder some more. The bar of soap is also very cool.
Speaker 2: It was very very smooth actually, so I hope you guys will go and check them out. They have a starter kit that's up there, and they have a special deal for Team House viewers.
Speaker 3: So there's arter pack is perfect for new customers.
Speaker 2: It comes with a solid stick deodorant, cream tube deodorant, two free products of your choice like mini body wash and deodorant wipes, and free shipping. As a special offer for listeners, new customers get five dollars off of starter pack with our exclusive code that equates to over forty percent off your starter pack. Use code Teamhouse at Shopmando dot com. That's s H O P M A N d O dot com. Please support our show and tell them we sent you Smell fresher, stay dryer and boost your confidence from head to toe with Mando.
Speaker 3: But after I would say two trips with the team, that's when it finally started to integrate. And where were those trips to the first one was to Nepal and second one was Philippines, so they were those were just chase its though, So those weren't cool. Yeah, what's said for people who joint combined exercise training? So basically okay, so it's basically where you're training with a another country's military training you your training that is supposed to be. It's not necessarily a combat the point, right exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's more there's like a POI more like foreign Internal defense exact stuff.
Speaker 3: Was your team were they Merman or sky Kings or you know what? What what kind of team was? We were a mountain team. You were mountain to that transition that transition to a mobility team, which I don't know what that means, that just means, but you know what. You know what was cool though, was at Nepal we got to do every space camp because we had a two week I think period white Space on the front end of the trip and we were like, yeah, let's good, do it like and got per DM and everything. You know. It was high outsitude training and what the base camp for? Ah, can you explain that? Yeah? So so every space camp you you fly out of excuse me, katman do which is like the big city in the poul and then you fly to a town called Lukla, which is if you look it up on YouTube, it's actually like the most dangerous airport in the world. It's insane landing there. It's like a super short runway and it's slanted up so that the aircraft have time to decelerate like before they hit the wall, so it's it's pretty nuts if you watch the videos. So flew into there, and I think that's at around nine thousand feet. So you start at Lucla and then it's ten days up to every space camp you end up. I think base camp is around eighteen thousand. So you make stops along the way and you have we had two shurpas with us, so it was two odios that did it. So it was about twenty guys and two shurpas and it was a blast, like it was. It was one of those things that once in a lifetime opportunity to for sure, you know. And I think the most amazing thing is the the Nepalese people that live there, like just incredible. Man, you'll be it. You'll be like six teen thousand feet at like the second stop before base camp, and there's pool tables and like full bars and like somebody carried that stuff up like on their back. You know, it's just nuts. I remember I went to the Annapurna base camp. We did that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know that, you know that exact walk through that valley, did it in the summer. And one thing I'll never forget is the porters, Like you said, they someone has to carry that stuff up there, and the porters carrying the things on their back with you know, it goes from their head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the band and then they're carrying on their back the way they did a thousand years ago, I'm sure. Yeah, but now they're on the trail playing Candy Crush on their smartphone. I'll never forget that. No, that's a good point. I literally skype my wife from like the stop before every space camp. I was like, how's their internet up here? You know, like somebody put in the infrastructure. It's pretty wild. Yeah, it is today's world, absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they use a lot of hydro electric in some of those villages now, and they've connected the villages with the suspension bridges the footbridge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, which are crazy, especially when you run into like their ox maybe I don't know, but you run into like packs of like ox in or whatever they are. I'm probably butchering that. Yeah, they'll be they'll we'll be like on the bridge and that you see them coming on the other side and you're like, we have to get off this bridge. Yeah, we're about to get you. Get me nostalgic. I love Nepole. Had a really good time over there, really cool experience.
Speaker 2: Did uh was there any force protection issues? Like I remember one. Another funny thing was driving around over there. They always wanted to put me in the front seat because we want the maoists to see that we're driving a white guy around. The reason being is that they do care about tourism and they don't want to scare away tourists, so they figure we'll put a white guy in the front seat and they won't put rocks through the windshield.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. I never even thought about that. I don't remember that specifically, but that you bring up the driving. The driving over there is insane, like some of those mountain rivers. Yeah, where they're doing like you got like half a wheelhir Yeah, like that's death right, Yeah, dude out there chalking it like at the last minute. It's like they just do it every days, say man, yeah, and so that the.
Speaker 2: Presumably somewhere along this j set, you guys had actual work to do. Yeah, we work with We worked with the Nepalese Rangers.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so's it was cool And that was my first Jason. So it's an awesome experience. Just what was it like working with those guys? They were the language barrier was vast, like there was no English speaking and the unlike the Philippines and stuff like that, where they're you know, pretty prominent, so the language barrier is definitely there. So we had to really interpreter a lot. But it was good. I I definitely no matter who, no matter who, interpreter is hard to say, yeah, but no, it was a it was a really good experience. They were they were definitely I don't want to like fastardize this, but they weren't as competent as I would have expected. I guess for like a special operation, right, I'd say it was. But at the same time that was good for us, especially on a first jasion, because it allowed us to really like learn how to teach right and really learn how to be that SF guy instead of working with a more competent right exactly where it's almost like here peer to peer, you know. So it allowed us to be to get into that role. Really, anything else you want to tell us about Nepal, I think that's it.
Speaker 4: What about the PI, So the p I that first trip, I'm trying to remember the first trip.
Speaker 3: Nothing significant happened. We worked with the rangers actually on that trip, Tonge Scout Rangers. They were awesome, man, the Filipino Army. They were like our little brothers there. Amazing. Yeah, and they liked the NBA like no one else's business. It is bizarre. But now that trip was really good. We kind of had a that was kind of a cush trip to some extent, like we stayed in hotel that no. Our OEFP was mexcitse Yeah, so the sixth month was excite, but that one was actually I don't even remember the location, to be honest, but no, that one was good. Actually, I do have one story from that that I can remember. So I'm an eighteen Charlie and I'm teaching time fuse and we're just doing like single blocks of C four with time fuse hooked up to it. I don't remember whatever, two minute time fuse, three minute time fee something. And we had like six blocks laid out like spread up, spread apart in this open field, right and we get our safe distance and we put off the time fuse and we go back to the safe distance and everything's going fine for the first four blocks, so it's like five four three two one bang, you know, We're all good. And then the fifth block, nothing happens, and I'm like, shit, what is happening? And at the same time, we see like a lit old brush fire on the side. So it was like an open field with like big brush on the side of it. So we see a brush fire starting on the side and we still have two live blocks, so we can't do anything right, and this fire starts spreading like pretty pretty rapidly, and I'm like shit, like this is you know, this is my second trip as a Charlie. I'm just like, oh God, like what do we do? I wanted to go out there, but I can't because there's live C four out there. So the six block actually went off. So the six block went off, so now there's a fifth block that's still just out there, and I was like, all right. I talked to my team start and I'm like, dude, we got to do something like this. This is about to burn down the jungle in the Philippines. So we gave it a couple of minutes I think it was like three minutes or something, which felt like an eternity. And then at that three minute mark, me and him went down there, kind of got like a distance look, you know, very like very cautiously approaching it. But we saw that the time fuse had gotten cut from that fourth charge, so it projected and cut that fourth time fuse before it could have hit the C four. So went out there, cut the time fuse really close to the sea four grabbed, you know, obviously the block was fine, and then literally like thirty or forty Philippine scout rangers and us rushed down and just start taking pig branches and throwing down and trying to get tack this fire out. And it was a good probably fifteen minute process. That's next time, have them pie into a ring made, right, Yeah, right, right? I know, so lessons learned? Right? And how I want to ask you a question because you know, you get this trip to an Apoli.
Speaker 4: Did this trip to the Philippines while the GI Watt is still you know, active or Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: Particularly, How did you like, was there any sort of stigma about that? How did you feel about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Good question, There was for sure, especially when I buddies who went to fifth group and third group and were already deployed, you know, And I'm just like man like. I don't get me wrong, I enjoyed everything I did in OKI, and I loved it. But we definitely, or at least I felt that one one had that, like you know, the party group and the you guys don't do real stuff group, you know, because we were doing jasits and so yes, absolutely, I definitely felt that.
Speaker 4: And for you personally, even though you were having a great time and you were doing you were doing the SF job.
Speaker 3: Sure, did you feel like you were missing out? Yes? Yeah I did for sure. And because you do all this training right right, I'm just like ready to go and you wanted want to use it, Yeah, you want to do the job. So yeah I did, especially because we our company just deployed Afghanistan. We just missed it, you know. So it's like and OKI in one one you don't It's not like a normal rotation like other groups where you're you know, in a year or a year and a half, you're going to go. So it was like, damn, just kind of just miss yeah, like a couple of years or whatever. So yeah, for sure, I definitely felt that tell us about the second pump to the Philippines then, Yeah, So the second one was a it was a we were working with the law enforcement there, so the Filipino DA oh okay, yeah, so it wasn't. It wasn't necessarily military so is that the police force special action for so they were involved, but the our primary was the DA. It was the p d A okay, yeah, p DA DA or something. So we actually worked at their schoolhouse and we but it it was treated pretty much like a normal Jason, Like we did the same shooting pois and demo pois and medical pois. So it wasn't it wasn't too out of the ordinary other than who we were working with. But that was a I mean, I don't remember anything dramatic or crazy happening in that one, to be honest. It was just it was a good trip, though, I do that.
Speaker 2: And so when did the ideas start to occur to you that you were interested in putting in your flight packet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good question. So when my so OEFP was our we did a six month rotation to the Philippines after all of those Philippines trips, so I spent a lot of time there, and my son was actually born right before that trip, so I literally like said good luck and I'm out. And it was like, I think three weeks after he was born, I was off to the Philippines. So the nextus of it, and I didn't mention this before, was I looked into a program called high school to flight school before I even went eighteen X ray And that's essentially where you can if you have credentials, right, if you're like a pilot already or something, you can go straight into the army and become a warrant and go fly. So I already had that in the back of my mind that I kind of had the aviation bug that I wanted to do it. And with that deployment and with kind of I don't want to tuck. I hope this comes out right. Like my wife did not deal well with me being gone all the time, sure, right, so she got really stressed out. People don't get married to be single, true, Yeah, toochet so, and she was active duty, she had a baby at home, colic baby, right, so it was a lot of just stress that was weighing on her. So I kind of I kind of saw the writing on the wall that like if I stay in this job and I'm constantly gone all the time, like I'm kind of putting her through hell to some extent, you know. So, so I'd looked to the other options, and I aviation was the thing that I was like, Okay, this is going to not only accelerate my career pay wise, right, but it's also going to give me a tangible skill that if I want to get out, I can fly, you know. So those are the biggest factors that went into it. And then during that OEFP deployment was when I would drop my.
Speaker 2: Flight packet, yeah and tell us then a little bit about that process of you know, presumably your packet gets approved and now you're going to flight school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's a pretty comprehensive packet. You do resume, you do letters of recommendation, the whole kind of traditional military packet, I guess if you will, and then it goes in front of a selection board. So there's a selection board at Fort Rucker that basically goes through all the candidates and says yes or no, we're gonna give you a chance to come to flight school or not. Fortunately, I was obviously selected and got the opportunity. I do think a lot of it was because of the letters recommendation, well and probably being an SFKU and I'm sure helped a lot. But yeah, that's that's kind of how it works. So and then once you find out you're selected, then you just play the waiting game and wait for order. Star Rucker, Fort Rucker, Yeah, good old Fort. Yeah. And how did flight school go for you? I think we've talked to a couple one sixtieth pilots about flight school and you're like going through conventional military training, right, Yeah, So dude, it was a culture shock to the core for me. So I was expecting this. I had this like opinion that in aviation everybody's on a first name basis. You know, you can grow out your hair, super chill. Yeah, So I had that false expectation going into it. I get to four record and you take off your staff sergeant rank and you put on this stupid like snowbird rank is what they call it. It's like a WC whatever. Yeah, basically signaling to everybody that you're a new bid. Yeah you're the FNG so. So first though, before even flight school, you go to Warrnan Officer Candidate School, which is, in my opinion, the stupidest army course. It's changed now, thank god, but it was not a gentleman's course. It was like a mini basic training where you you have no phones or anything for like five weeks. And dude, I'm telling you, they basically are trying to do basic training over again in a five week period, which is really.
Speaker 4: Weird because like it's not basic training and it's not like Offster Canadas, right right, Like you're taking people have already been in ye who are now you.
Speaker 3: Know, in this really unique world and you're ye triging them like their boots right exactly. And it was it was like one of those things where you had to have your clothes perfectly dressed, right dress and like label them and like all these just stupid things that you had to do to get through. It was honestly like one of those even like how many pots of coffee can you, like warrant how many course light skinny exactly? How late can you be for this fore a minute? Exactly how many cigarettes can you put out in you know, five seconds? Yeah, So that was like, so that was just dumb. It was one of those things you just had to get through. I ended up being like the cadet commander or whatever you call it for that, which was actually cool because the last two weeks of it, I got my own office with my cold sergeant major and he was a former one sixtieth guy, not a pilot, but he was going to flight school. So we got a TV to ourselves, we got a coffee maker, and we got to go to like Walmart and stuff off base. So you got the real warrant. Yeah, so we got the real Yeah. I think that's where it was exactly if you excel, then you can get.
Speaker 4: The taste of it.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, that was But honestly, that of course was just a checking the boy and then getting into flight school. So I was the second flight school class that flew the new lakotas that ELU. So that also came with some stigmas of like, you're not a real pilot training this right, because because it's not the way we did it in the old days. We went through the first easy course. Yeah, exactly, didn't have to go up with both ways anymore. So, but that was a really cool experience. The Lakota is for anybody that doesn't know, it's just a little more advanced than the old trainer. So it has a glass cockpit, which means like digital and autopilot systems, has a full hydraulics and everything like that. So it's almost, in my opinion, it's a better training aircraft for where armaviators are going, right, because we're going into these advanced airframes that have these systems. So it allowed us to learn how to use the systems. Still, we learned how to fly, right, We still like were they turned off the systems so you learned how to fly. But but yeah, it was a good It was an easier transition because of that to the black Hawk.
Speaker 5: Hey guys, our show is sponsored by ghost Bed. Check them out please to make awesome mattresses, awesome pillows, awesome betting. Ghostpread provides high quality, is super comfortable, award winning mattresses crafted in the US and Canada. Did you know that sixty percent of US adults report being too hot when they're trying to sleep? That's me, I'm a sweaty little baby. That's why we designed all of our products with cooling features so you stay comfortable and asleep all night long. Pair any of our mattresses with ghost beds winning adjustable base and get the ultimate sleep experience. GHO Spared Rules the family owned business sixty thousand plus five star reviews. They have sleep experts on staff with twenty plus years of experience. If you have any questions, you can hit them up and ask them, you know, maybe what kind of mattresses work for you. Twenty plus year warranty that's two times the industry standard. Free shipping and returns on mattresses. Most of the products ship out within twenty four hours. They have in house customer support and sleep actress sleep experts chilling in Plantation, Florida. It rules It's the best. They give you one hundred and one night's risk free to make sure that these beds are right for you. If you don't like it after one hundred and one nights, you could send it back full refund. When you purchase a ghost bed mattress, you're comfort guaranteed. I'm reading it right now, and it's capital letters guaranteed. Okay, they do the right thing and they're a great company. If you're not sure which ghost bed's right for you, like I said before, you could take You could take their mattress quiz online, or you can give a call to one of their sleep experts and they'll help you with exactly what you possibly could need, what works for you, and what doesn't. And the best news about this is Teamhouse listeners and viewers. You get an extra ten percent off sitewide for a limited time. You just go to goosped dot com slash house and use the code house at checkout.
Speaker 3: One more time.
Speaker 5: That's go sped dot com slash house with the code house ho u se at checkout for an extra ten percent off site wide. I want to thank go sped for their continued support. I want to thank all the fans that listen and watch for their continued support. Without you, guys, we are nothing. So thank you for supporting the show, and thank you for supporting the companies that help support the show. Go sped dot com slash house for ten percent off, made in the US, made in Canada. Shout out to our brothers in Canada. They rock. Check them out. I love ghost Sped thanks guys.
Speaker 3: But in flight school, so since I had the improper expectations right, and I was expecting to be treated with respect and all this stuff, that's when I started down the mental health rout. So my daughter was born when I was in flight school, and I did not want to take paternity leave because if you get recycled, who knows how long you could be just sitting on hold to go into the next class. So I didn't take paternity leave, and I was just going, going, going, And my wife is just God bless her, She's just dealing with everything right while I'm just trying to succeed in flight school. And looking back on it now, I can see why it happened, right, because I was just stressing myself out to the max. But one day in class, we were just learning about the black Hawk engine, nothing crazy, and I just got hit with this random, suicidal thought and came out of nowhere. And it was the problem for me was that I wasn't able to just be like, huh, that's weird, right and let it go. I like obsessed over it, like I was like, why the hell did this happen? I've never been through this. I don't know how to react to it and how the hell do I fix this? Right? And that just reinforce this like endless thought, you know, and obviously I didn't know it. That's probably like you doubled down on how hard you're working exactly. Yeah. So and that's that's a good point because it lasted for a long time, Like it lasted for a good five years, and I kept trying to just succeed my way out of it, right, you know, which I think is a blessing, you know, because because I didn't, you know, I didn't take my life and I didn't get to that point because I did have a purpose. But at the same time, like I also didn't give myself the space to like actually figure out what was going on. So you weren't seeking out any like formal mental health treatment at this time. So I did one time. So there was one day where I was leaving leaving class from flight school and driving home and I was I was scared to go home because of you know, I was just scared.
Speaker 4: It was going to happen that night. Was it like an ideation? It was, it was like a vision, like I literally like visualize it. Yeah, did I wanted to revivify this. No, No, you're okay.
Speaker 5: So what was this for?
Speaker 3: Like I like.
Speaker 4: This would like I just wanted to be over, like like this would be just be it just be like so easy, like so easy to just like so and whatever I'm feeling.
Speaker 3: Yes, that, And I literally saw myself. So it was always worse when I was laying in bed, which is pretty universal, but I had my pistol in my fingerprint safe next to my bed, and I literally saw myself like do it. Obviously like you don't see yourself die, but like I saw myself do it. And it was that vision kept coming up in my head and it was to the point where it was like I can't escape this thought right right, like so yeah, to your point, it was like like it's just not going to go away. It's it's going to be like this forever and and and you.
Speaker 4: Know, it's one of those things I think, like any sort of like uh, those recursive thoughts once you sink into it, you know, if you can't just like let it go right like once you sink into it, did it just yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And it started it started becoming like every situation too, like if I was driving even with my family. It was terrifying because I was like, we're driving over a bridge and I'm just like I could do it right, right, you know, and it was just they would just keep attacking me. So but I went to the chaplain that day because I was like, I can't go home, like I have to go talk to somebody. So I went to the chaplain, told him what was going on, kind of poured my heart out to him, and he took me to Behavioral Health while I'm in flight school at Fort Rutger. So, yeah, you were scared, right, I was terrified. I didn't want to go to behavior right.
Speaker 4: That's why I went to right because isn't there like a myth that if you go to the chaplain, he's not going to tell anything.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought, right, And that's I didn't like look into it before, but I just thought so. And apparently because he told me that he's like obligated if I say, like I have self harmed thoughts or whatever, he's obligated to take me. So literally, I had to get in his car and go to behavioral Health with him. That terrified, it was so scary, and filled out this stupid suicide questionnaire, right, it was like it was basically assessing like your seriousness, how serious you are? Did you lie on it? So I didn't have to, fortunately, because the questionnaire was like there's a couple of questions. It was like, do you have thoughts of suicide? Yes? Like do you have thoughts of harming others? No? Do you have a plan to do it? No? Because I didn't really right, but I didn't wasn't like I'm gonna go do this right, And then do you want to do it was another example of the question and I was like, no, you know, I don't want this. That's just happening to me. I wouldn't be talking. Yeah, exactly. So so I filled that out and then the lady takes me back in the room and I kid, you know, she just has the clipboard that I filled out, and she just reads it to me, just reads my answers, and at the end of it, her synopsis was, well, I think this is something temporary that you're going through, so I'm going to let you continue training, basically kind of the comeback if you need us right well, and I was like, thank god, though too right, it's a blessing in disguise, But at the time, I was like, are you freaking kidding? Like this was a cry for help, right, and you're just going to throw me out to the wolves. So that kind of like solidified that, like, all right, I'm not going to behavior a hole, like I am freaking fixing this on that and I'm not definitely not going to chat. So that solidified. Yeah, right, I know, dude, like that was supposed to be the same. Yeah, exactly, so me and God right exactly. Yeah, Honestly, I was hoping the chaplain would just be like, come see me once a week.
Speaker 2: It's it's the same with a licensed psychologist if you say, I'm gonna like yeah, But.
Speaker 3: Chaplains are supposed to be like that's supposed to be like sacred. Yeah, And I think they even like advertise that to something I have an open door.
Speaker 4: I think they allow it to kind of self perpetuate. You know, they might like push it along. But you're not safe, right, And when I say you're not safe, like, obviously, chaplains should report it, obviously if they think that somebody is in duress or you know, a threat to themselves. But but the thing is that like whether it's a veteran who's worried about red flag laws or somebody on active duty who is worried about getting pulled from their unit or whatever, flight.
Speaker 3: School or whatever like.
Speaker 4: There have to and there have to be ways for people to address these things like sound off, right, There have to be ways for people to address these things.
Speaker 3: That where they feel safe that they're not going to be punished for it exactly. And that's that's kind of my whole like stigma thing, right, and that's what my book's about. It's, yeah, like we have to break that because so many dudes, and you guys probably see it more than I do, but so many guys are still making that decision right and still ending it all because, in my opinion, because they don't feel safe or don't feel like they can go get the help.
Speaker 4: And I think the military has proven itself even until today and Jack probably knows more about this than I do, that they can't be trusted.
Speaker 3: Like if you go for help many times that.
Speaker 2: Will there are protections, but there's a very specific way, and I think it's actually the behavior health clinic at the hospital, like the TMC on Post. If you go in there and say I'm having a mental health crisis, there are some protections in place for you, but if you go to anywhere else, if you go to your first sergeant, you go to the company commander, you go to the chaplain, they can not always, but they can totally fuck you. Which I'm not saying they're all out to get you. A lot of them will do the right thing and get you the help you need. But historically, yeah, there are guys that totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean if if like if.
Speaker 4: They want to get somebody off their books because they don't you want it to be a black man.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if I don't know if they still had it when you were around. I mean, but when I was in the army, I mean there was like a strong social shaming aspect of it that somebody who's somebody who said I'm having suicidal thoughts had to wear a road guard vest and escorted around by two soldiers at all times.
Speaker 3: Yes, And one thing that that reminds me of thirtieth AG, Like, yeah, so thirtieth AG for the audience is like your first day in the Army. Like when you're in processing to go to basic training, you go to thirtieth AG. The worst place in North yeahplace ever just purgatory. But I just remember distinctly remember there being this like there was like a quad, right, like an open quad, and then there was a balcony or whatever you want to call it, a railing, and there were soldiers up there that were pulled from training and had their shoelaces taken away because they were suicidal, and the drill sergeants talked shit about them, right, like if you fuck up, you're gonna end up like them. And that's that's the day that everybody learned, like, all right, if you have health problems, you don't talk right, like, you keep your mouth shut and you just freaking drive on.
Speaker 4: So so you go to behavioral health. She gives you kind of the you know, clean Dell health. Do you tell your wife about this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So that Yeah, so my wife picked me up actually because I didn't want the chap on to drive me back my wife. My wife was pissed, like she was mad at me because I went there instead of talking to her first, more pissed that like she didn't know right, and then in this right, yeah, oh absolutely absolutely, So that's how she found out. Well, actually I misspoke, so she found out before this. Okay, but she thought it was a one time thing. And how she found out, which is also a messed up. I told her, hey, babe, I need you to go in our safe, take apart my gun and hide the components from me. That's how she found out because I was just I couldn't go to bed with my gun right there available, So that's how she initially found out. And then I think this was a couple weeks later when I went to the chaplain. That's when she came, and she was pissed because we hadn't talked about it since then. It was just kind of one of those things that I don't think she knew how to deal with it right, and then obviously I didn't know how to deal with it. So yeah, she was mad. She was mad one because she knew the repercression, she knew what could happen. And she was also mad that I even had to go to be because she like she knew that I went to the chaplain first, so she was mad about that aspect too, that I got forced to go there. So so it's twofold. Yeah, So what what happened the next day at work at cool I can't even remember to be honest, it was a blur. But but did they do me say anything to you? No, No, nothing happened.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: What's interesting is I didn't hear a squeak about that, and I didn't even know it was in my medical records until I was getting out of the army and I like reviewed everything and I was like, huh, there actually is a note in there about that. Because I was in my mind, I was like, man, that really happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well but it sounds like the chaplain did maintain its confidence, so I think that's probably what happened.
Speaker 3: Did he ever check on you though?
Speaker 4: Now the chaplain ever came out gave you like a starburst and said, hey, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: No crazy? That is kind of crazy pocket Bible. Yeah, I think he just I think he just took the clinician's word for it, maybe, you know, and and trusted me to come back if I needed to. I don't know, So I'm trying to give them the benefit of doubt.
Speaker 4: But that's kind of because generally chaplains are really they're like ned Flanders, right, Yeah, for sure, you know, like a lot of chaplains are like that.
Speaker 3: You know, I remember you had this two years ago. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember a few chaplains that were like fire and Brimstone, like ranger, Jesus wants you to kill America's enemies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they were also but I mean we had one of those. But he was also like, you know, he would come and check.
Speaker 3: On Yeah you care. I wonder if it was like one of those things that Rutgers just such a big trade off. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was just like, so, you're dealing with some pretty significant stressors in life, and at the same time you get assigned a third combat aviation brigade.
Speaker 3: What was that experience like when you hit the ground there. Yeah, so I actually yeah, so Third Comment Aviation Brigade was cool because I wanted to go there, like I wanted Savannah. It was my first choice because they were deploying soon, so they were going to Afghanistan. Because it's a new pilot, like flight hours is everything. So the faster you can get progressed and get to pilot and command, which is when you're like in charge of the aircraft, the better for your career. So it was good, but it was very much not big boy rules like I expected. Kind of, like I said, the warrant officers in aviation end up being kind of the the people that do all the details and stuff because the crew chiefs, they enlisted guys are busy like maintaining the aircraft so that all falls in the warrant officers the right yeah, or they're doing flight schedules, you know what I mean. So it was like, so the warrant officers, one dude will be in charge of like I was the goggle custodian, so I was in charge of inventorying, maintaining that all the MVG's one guy will be the supply sergeant for the company, like as a warrant officer and still having to fly. So there's a lot of like extra duties they have to do. So I think the the short answer is I wasn't happy with my choice to go aviation initially and even through Afghanistan, Like I just wasn't happy with it. The long answer was like, at the same time, it's cool. It's still cool, like playing helicopters and progressing through that and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So you know, one of the things that up to this point that I appreciate about your story is like a lot of times people associate like a lot of the mental health stuff and whatnot with like this really severe posh aumatic stress it's really chizing event and all this stuff. But it doesn't like it doesn't have to be connected to them like it can just it can be stressors, you know, you know the way we perceive ourselves, the way you know, what the standards were holding ourselves to whatever is. But it can come from anywhere at any time, Yeah, for sure. And it's a testament to that.
Speaker 3: And this is not to brag by any means, Okay, but you see all these high performing guys like end up taking their lives right and everybody's like what happened? Like, how could that happen to him? I thought he had his life altogether right, and he did on the outside, and that's kind of what I was, right, Like I ended up graduating of this the distinguished on a graduate in my flight school class through all that, you know, even when dealing with all that, like so that just shows like that you can mask it. And it's it's fairly easy to mask it, to be honest, Like you just kind of stuff it down and keep going and deal with it on your own. That's kind of why I want to say that is because like there's a lot of people out there that are very high performing and they fall into this trap and real common with the soft guys, Like like one friend of mine used to say, you know it's being functionally fucked up. Yeah, you know that It's true your high performing, but your internal world is just total turmoil.
Speaker 4: And I think I think that for a lot of especially soft guys, I think that there is a lot of miscorrelation with post traumatic stress, and that I think so to stuff. I think that I think there is post traumatic stress, but I don't I assily I think that the post traumatic stress is what leads to it's there's so many other.
Speaker 3: Things I agree, especially with the guy's transitioning right, yes, because they're going so hard and then the noise stops and they're like what do I do? Like who am I you know?
Speaker 4: With with your process of going through do you you know, did you ever were able to put the finger on sort of what the trigger aspect or the balance aspect.
Speaker 3: Of it was for you? Kind of So I just looked at looking back, I can look at like the stressors that were leading up to it, right, So, like my transition from SF me not being happy with my aviation decision, the grind to flight school, and then my daughter being born, her not sleeping, you know, so sleep was all jacked up. My wife was also stressed out. So it was a lot of like compounding factors that just kind of landed at the same time and led to it. But the weird thing is there was no like slow lead up, right, Like, it wasn't like I was just like, ah, life sucks, you know, it's just like boom, dude, they field and told the same story. Yeah, exactly. Yeah, So that that was the most bizarre thing because I did not I had never dealt with anything before, you know, like that, so I had no idea.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, and I think you know, like you know, they talk about the twenty two a day and twenty three a day, but also if you look at men at a certain age or whatever that they're you know that their statistics is much So it's not just the veteran. It's not just the combat veteran. It's not just the soft but it's definitely a very male oriented like you know, whether it's we feel like we're not living up or we feel disillusion whatever it is, whatever combination.
Speaker 3: Yes, I feel like we just take on so much, right, and we feel like we just we have to we just have to push through. Notter what Yeah, I think so too. Very interesting. Yeah, so your missus must have been thrilled when you got deployed to Afghanistan.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fortunately by this time she was out of the army. Okay, So it was better she was out of the army, we were stable in Savannah. Like, she didn't have the stress. She she was a signal officer and she hated the army. She hated her job, like it was just one of those things that she was just like, get me out of here. I can't wait to get out. So stress was mitigated by that a lot. And the kids weren't babies anymore, so they were it was a little better. Yeah know, like so yeah, it was it was more tolerable for her. Honestly, I probably had a worse time than she did during that nine months because I was still dealing with the crap. So you were a black Hawk guy, black Hawk pilot. What was the Afghanistan deployment like very frustrating?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because seventeen eighteen, ok. Yeah, so flight school was twenty fifteen to twenty seventeen and then Afghana was seventeen eighteen. Very frustrating because as a like former SF dude, I wanted to do the cool stuff, get after it. I wanted to bring people to X. I wanted to you know, be doing the missions. And ninety five percent of our flying was acid trash, just moving people from the string routes. Whether it was day or night, it didn't matter it was And when we did get a mission that was supporting, like an SF team or something, the senior guys would take it and none of the junior guys got to go on it. So it was one of those things where I was like cool, Like how am I going to learn if I don't get the chance. So by the end of that deployment, apparently I had a thing with ended of deployments and changing careers, but I dropped my one sixtieth packet because I was like, I am getting out of the army or I'm going to the one sixtieth Like I didn't sign up to be a pilot to go fly right in land driver. Yeah, Like that's not what I wanted to do. So at the end of that deployment, I finally that was the blessing of the deployment though, is I got a lot of hours, so I got I went far ahead of my peers, like so in the matter of a year, I was able to drop my one sixtieth packet, which they do have minimum requirements for hours, so it's five hundred hours. Five hundred hours and piloting command, so you have to be a piloting command and have five hundred flight hours at least when I assessed, that's what it was. So I hit that at probably the month seventh mark of my deployment, and I was I dropped it right away, got my letters, wreck and everything, and then by the end of that deployment, I had an invitation to go assess, so I got back in June twenty eighteen and then August I assessed, So it was like it was perfect because I was in nine month deployment shape, you know, going into assessments and what was assessment like for you? It was definitely hard, mostly because I was still dealing with this crap, so I was at this point it was I was having these like physical Dizzey spells, So the depression had morphed into these Dizzey spells, which I didn't know what they were at the time, but they're panic attacks, which I didn't know, so I was dealing with that. So that part was tough. And then assessment is one of those things where it's meant for you to feel like you're failing the whole time, so you don't. I don't think anybody goes to it and it's like, yeah, I crush that right right, So but it was it was also at the same time, as hard as it was, it was a good insight into the regiment and into how professional and next level they are, because I, to be honest, I was feeling pretty confident in my ability to fly and my ability to brief and plan because I had just come off the deployment and a lot of like repetition, and I get to the assessment and you have to put together brief and stuff, and I got torn apart in that brief, like just annihilated, and so many questions that they asked me I just had no answer for. I didn't even know what they were talking about some of the times, and that was just kind of like, Okay, this is the big league, so like this is where I want to be type of thing. So so yeah, it specially it was definitely hard, more mentally and just you're just sleep deprived and having to do a bunch of things, so more mentally challenging than physically. The physical stuff was. It wasn't bad. It was like pet tests and stuff like that. So I feel like you should. Were you surprised to learn that you survived that panel? That board? Have you heard about that? Yeah? So so the one sixtieth you're talking about the end of assessment? Yeah, yeah, so the one sixtieth board at the end of assessment. This is uh, I can't give too much away, but what I've heard and what I know now is that if you crush the assessment, they're going to be dicks to you, like they're just going to tear you apart and zere you react. Right, It's kind of their last view. It's kind of their last view of like, all right, let's tear him down and let's see what he does. And so I get through with my board and I was shaking the whole time. Actually, an interesting point is you have to talk to the site during one point in assessment, and I was still hiding everything, and during my assessment, I was like shaking and he called me out on my board and he said, you look extremely anxious right now. And I've played it off. And I was like, I mean, I am, sir, this is a lot of pressure, you know what I mean, Like I played it off, but like at the same time, I was like, shit, he sees right through me, you know. So I leave the board. It's like I think it was an hour long board. I leave it. I go in this waiting room. It seems like forever they you know, it's where they you know, get their counsel together and say whether you made it or not. And I come back report back to the room. And when I walk in there's a paper sign handwritten it said no go. I was like, you know, like all his freaking work. So I walk in and stand at attention and the president of the board I think it was the DCO. So it's not the regim medical commander but the guy below him, and he was like, mister Kelly, like, I appreciate you coming. You know, you put your good, good foot forward. We want you to go back to your unit and then come back here in grape Tune in January. And I was like wait a second, Like I mean I passed you know, and like then everybody started clapping and stuff, So yeah, I know, I was like, yeah, yeah, roller coaster. Can you imagine somebody who like spasses out at that moment.
Speaker 2: I heard a story about a gentleman at the board for Delta Force selection who picked up the folding chair and wung it at the board members.
Speaker 3: Whoa, because he's just like fucking with the.
Speaker 2: SF guy, right and at a certain point, like I can't take that all right, dude, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I get it right, Dang, that's crazy like thunderdome. Yeah. Yeah, So that was my That was my assessment. How did that feel for you?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Amazing? Amazing? And I will say that the suicidal stuff did kind of get better, like it was now. It wasn't like over consuming, It wasn't like every day I was dealing with it now, it was like every once in a while. But the anxiety was still there, like the Dizney spells were still there. But the suicidal ideations did get better as my situation improved. Did you at all?
Speaker 4: You know, because you know you were in SSEF but you didn't go to Afghanistan. Then you went aviation and you were doing the ring rape. Did you at all feel as though you kept missing it like this, like this world just wasn't what it was supposed to be for you.
Speaker 3: Because and then Cherry on top is my brother has kind of followed my footsteps, so he went SSEF and everything, and when I got back from Afghanistan, he goes to Afghanistan with tenth Group and sees all his share right and does all this awesome stuff. And I'm just like, dude, come on, I've been in the Army for you know this long, and this is your first trip. So yeah, I definitely had that. I definitely had that, like the stain of like, you know, two deployments. I don't even have a CIB or a or a cab for that matter, like you know, like, so yeah, I definitely had that. It was like because it was one of those things where you always wonder, right like sure, like even though I know I would have done the job and I would have it's not like I would have ran away.
Speaker 5: But.
Speaker 3: It's always a question. Yeah, it's still that thing of like how was a green platoon when you got there? Green Platune was? It was great? So I I when I got when I found out I was going to the one sixtieth, I was told I was going to go to first Battalion and uh fly DAPs. So I was told I was going to go be a DAP pilot. Yeah, So I was pumped about it, and I made the fatal mistake and bought a house in Fort Campbell and found out about I think a month prior to reporting that I was going to third Battalion and not flying DAPs. So I was going to Savannah, Savannah, back to Savannah. So we had to make the kind of decision of like, all right, we'll just rent out the house if it, you know, it doesn't appreciate value or whatever. So I show up to greenp Tune and the first part of Green Tune is Officer greenp Tunes. So that's when you're doing like the the kind of soft version of basic training, if you will, right like they're they're teaching you, which is actually good, Like it was actually even being a former SF guy, it was still good because I got a lot of reinforcement. Was just finally though the warrant world that you thought, yes, there was, yes, this very professional, very much so. Yeah, and the enlisted guys, it's a different story. The enlisted greenp tune. That's they're getting smoked and they're getting kind of indoctrinated. But that's also a lot of them are like straight from basic training, are so rightly so yeah, but it did feel good to be on the other side for a while, right, So, yeah, we got the big boy rules got to do. It was a lot of like medical training, shooting, some landing av things like that. Nothing crazy, But then you move into your b NAB, which is basic navigation, and that's where you learn to navigate in there without any instruments literally a map, a map and a stopwatch and you're flying off way points. Yeah, it was plus minus thirty. It was so hard. Yeah, you but the cool thing is you do I think you do nine missions total and it's this is a three week period where you're you're ingrained in it, like you're sixteen hour days every single day. But missions i'd say one through three like nobody finds their target and nobody's on time, you know. But then by mission four and five, like you start finding it and you start getting on time, and it's pretty awesome to see like what you can do right with that training because you have to adjust for wins and all this stuff and that's all in a little bird. So you're flying a little bird and literally just using a finger light on your map and like, all right, I hope that's that intersection, you know, and like, yeah, it's it's pretty cool. Yeah, it's pretty cool to to see it all come together. And then by mission nine, like yeah, everybody's sitting in their target.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like your time in stuff, you know, having done you know, the star course and all that stuff. Do you feel that that helped you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think just honestly, like the basic land navigation concepts right where I because I did start out right, yeah, yeah, and I started out that course. I do feel like I had a leg up on everybody already because of that. Yeah, especially especially in the Green teone part, but definitely in bing app I think I think that helped a lot. Yeah, and just understanding how it works back to assessment, so we have to do that in assessment too. And I actually humble brag I was one of the rare people that found my target. I wasn't on time, but I found it and I was so proud of myself. And then of course the cadre or the my assessment pilot was like you suck. You didn't you know? You were out of time, out of standard, you know, And I'm just like, come on, man, I've heard nobody finds their even if you would have been on time, I know something. Yeah sure, but but yeah, So that's been at and then after that you go into your airframe, so you go into I went into the sixty course and that was incredible.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: That is where you learn to fly, like like the one sixtieth, Like that's where you're going to uh Colorado, going to Virginia Beach and doing overwater mountains and learning to put one wheel on a pinnacle and it's it's really cool. Yeah, it's really cool. And one of the cooler parts of that course too is you're being taught by like one sixtieth legends, like these guys are they're just contractors now, you know, and they're insanely like relaxed but also insanely just competent good at what they do. Like those guys are just ye phenomenal pilots.
Speaker 4: So I guess I think for people who may not be familiar with like how the one sixtieth, it is different than you know, like conventional army especially with like black Hawks and stuff. Is you you think of like like maybe a BMX writer, right, you know, a guy doing jomps blah blah blah. And then you think of the guys who like hop up on rails and ride down rails and bunny hop on you know, like between like pillars and stuff like that, and it's like, what what the one sixtieth pilots are capable of doing on any airframe? Yeah, but are capable of doing is insane? It's incredible. Yeah, it's incredible.
Speaker 3: There's even and some of the pilots in the one sixtieth are a lot like I would I would consider myself like a decent pilot, right, And there's some pilots that are just insanely phenomenal. Yeah, Like I fly with one guy, one guy in my unit that I can distinctly remember, like he was so good that I was nervous in the cockpit with him flying. But it wasn't like because he was dangerous. He was just that good and that like all right, yeah, let's do this, and I'm just like dangered. I wouldn't do that, you know. Yeah. So it's pretty cool to see though, and it's cool to be a part of really cool to be a part of, and then you get deployed to Iraq. Yeah with the unit. Yeah, so this was the infamous COVID deployment. So we went out there and it was supposed to be a sixty day deployment and then the world shut down and we got to enjoy it for another sixty days. So it ended up doubling, which doesn't seem long, but when you're in the one sixty at the op tempo is insane, Like it's every day, twelve hour days, you know, so you're not like it's not like a nine month deployment where you're like five days on, one day off or whatever it is. You know, it's it's balls of the wall every single day and you're going hard. So yeah, it ended up being a yeah, a four month deployment. I don't know how much I can even get into it about there, like the specifics of that, But did you finally feel like that's what I was going to say, That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's where I got airframe, Like, this is it I'm finally doing. That's where I got it in Yeah, and that's where I was. Yes, that's where I was finally like finally, yes, I've done something that I signed up to do.
Speaker 3: You know, which was the coolest part about regiment is that I know Lindsay mentioned it, but like we truly train as we fight, and like on deployments, we do the job that we're supposed to do, you know what I mean, Like we do the mission that we're designed to do. We're not just like, oh yeah, maybe we'll do that once an once in a while. Is there any that you can kind of like even around about sort of way, Yeah, yeah, so I can talk about one where I'm not gonna like say locations or anything. But we took this is this is kind of a funny story in a way because I don't have like I don't have any like crazy like you know, yeah, like I don't have any like valor worthy stories, you know. But one funny story is so we were the dirty Bird since it was COVID, so we had to figure out, like, all right, if we take someone off target, like what are we doing with them? You know? So what we figured out or what we decided, I didn't just the higher ups decided that was we're gonna have one aircraft dedicated to any detainees or anybody would take off target and they're gonna be the dirty bird. So we take someone off target and this poor guy had to be like wrapped in a body bag, COVID swabed and all this stuff, and fly back like three hours I think two and a half hours maybe in a black Hawk, just pitch black right just on the ground in a body bag, literally like no idea, what's going on. And then when we landed we had to Our decontamination plan was literally like going a connex that they put heat lamps in, stripped down and rinse off and then throw on whatever, just normal clothes and leave our uniform in there for twenty four hours. So that was like our decon plan. And while everything was good, but like that's that's like the most It's just dumb. Yeah, it's just dumb. Like looking back on I'm like, why did we do any of that? You know, but like nobody knew what to do. That was just like the answer for it. But other than that, man, I don't have any like crazy stories, like we did our job and nothing fortunately, nothing really went went sideways. Yeah, except there was one mission that this is another missing out opportunity. So there were valor awards on this mission, and our aircraft was broken so we didn't go. So four other aircraft go on this mission, and it was like a q r F in the mountains and like right on the exert. Yeah. It was actually I don't remember the specifics, but it was like on a mountain side, yeah, and they had to go do some high hovers and faster people and actually I think repel people out was what it was. Yeah. So it was pretty intense, like hovering at like a high hover, you know, getting shot at, repelling people out.
Speaker 4: I mean that's just so that's Vietnam War, right, It really falls of steel to just keep a bird in place when everybody has a beat on, you're helpless, Yeah, because you got to, like the troops gotta get down exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you pull off and they're taken. That's a long ass fast rope. Yeah yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so getting back to the United States from that deployment, like what's going on with you personally and professionally at that juncture.
Speaker 3: So I didn't at this point, I was still progressing. So in the one sixtieth when you first get there, you're BMQ, so basic mission qualified, So that's like the entry level whatever your goal is to make FMQ so fully mission qualified, so that's when you it's the same as a piloting command in the regular arm so that's when you have control of your aircraft and you're like in charge of your career. So that was like I was progressing towards that during the deployment in Iraq. The good part about the COVID problem was that we did have like it got shut down for it, so weren't doing anything for a little bit, So there was some training opportunities, so I got to actually like lead some missions training missions right, but I got to plan, brief and execute all those and get those done, which were helped me kind of progress towards that FMQ. But then in.
Speaker 4: January of the next year, so Iraq was twenty twenty and January the next year, I.
Speaker 3: Had my FMQ right scheduled for April of that year, but I was having a lot of knee issues, like to the point where I couldn't run more than half a mile without having to stop. So I got an MRA on it, and they found that I had like a defect in my knee, like there was literally like a hole missing in my knee, that it was just bone on bone, just grinding. Yeah, I think it was just like wear and tear over time. But I also think that there had to been some genetic shit. It doesn't happen to everybody. So I ended up having to get knee surgery that January, and that was a nine month like recovery time, so blessing and a curse.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 3: I was pissed off, obviously because I wanted to like continue progressing. But during that nine month period, that allowed me to accept the fact that I was already grounded and tell somebody about these daisy spells. So that gave me, that gave myself the permission to be like, all right, let's try to figure this out. Now that I now that the consequence that I was scared of is gone, I'm not flying, Let's try to figure this out. So what that leads to, though, this is a really long story, so interrupt me if it's like that.
Speaker 4: Before you start that. I want to ask you one thing I want to before you start this story. Yeah, when you were you know, like just hop and pop in like in a rock, did won the ideation and to the anxiety was this still there.
Speaker 3: Did it seem to go away with the adrenaline and stuff like that. Yeah, that's a great question. So the suicidal ideation was pretty much gone by that point. I was still having the dizzy spells and the anxiety. But the ironic thing is that never happened in the aircraft, right it was I think it was the adrenaline though. I think it was the adrenaline and the focus required, right because like the zone. Yeah, so I really, I mean, I don't know, but that's what I attributed to because like that would have been a different story if I was just a total focus exactly, and you're like task, So your mind's just but it's.
Speaker 4: So pure, right, like those moments of like that, you know, whether it's an athletic flow state or whatever, the combat is just so pure that it's don't even hard for anything else to be there.
Speaker 3: No, that's a really good point, yeah, because that would have that would have definitely been like a safety hasard, like I would have been like, okay, I should probably do something. So no, it never did, thank god. But then so during after the knee surgery, I told my flight surgeon that I have these dizzey spells, and I was like, I don't. I didn't tell her my history of mental health because I was not ready to open that can of worms yet. So I was basically sugarcoating it if you will, you know. I was like, hey, I don't know what's going on. I'm just yeah, I'm just having these Disney spells. I don't really know how to explain it. So that's exactly what they did. They sent me to E and T, got my ears checked out. That was all fine. So then to spare you the long details, we do head to toe tests right to rule out physiological things. But one of those tests was a sleep study. So I go for a sleep study with a civilian doctor in Savannah that I got referred to, and after that sleep study, I got diagnosed with narcolepsy as a pilot, right. So yeah, so I was like, okay, like one that might answer these Disney spells. Maybe I'm like falling asleep having micro naps right and causing my body to be like, yeah, you know you were you were falling over. I don't know. So there was a sense of relief in a weird way because of that, right, Like I was like, finally I have an answer for what's going on. But then the Army, so my flight doc is like, okay, dude, like you can either reclass or you get out of the Army, like you can't fly with narcole ems where this has never been like you never happened, You never nod like that never happened. I will say I will say that like during that anxiety period, like when I would drive home at like three pm, four pm, I was exhausted and having like a lot of daytime sleepiness. But I that's also because I was so anxious all the time, and I was like my body was working overdrive, right, So so in my mind the diagnosis was like okay, like it kind of makes sense, and I kind of talked myself into it making sense. Right, So my flight doc puts in a med board and they decline it because the sleep study wasn't done by the Army, of course, So I'm like all right, sweet, So so now I'm just grounded still. And by this time, so this was the end of that year. By this time, I knew was recovered, so I wasn't like so I kind of felt like a back of ass because I was like, you know, I'm grounded, but I could fly if I needed to, So do the Army sleep study. I have to go to Fort Gordon and do all that, and the results came back and they say, you have no diagnosable criteria for narcolepsy, freaking kidding me. So you're back on flight status. No, because they permanently grounded me when I got diagnosed with narcolepsy the first time. Rutgers like, Okay, we'll accept this diagnosed right permanent army. But the army won't let you get out of the army doesn't Yeah, they don't let that money exactly. So now I'm in this like even worse purgatory of like I don't have a diagnosis, but I can't fly because you're still a diagnosis. Yeah, and I'm still in the unit. So I am very grateful that I was in the one sixtieth because my command was incredible throughout all this, like they were they had my back, right, and they actually sent me to the safety course at Rutger of the ash safety course so that I could continue contributing to the unit. So even though I was implying, I ended up being basically the company safety officer, which is like It's honestly pretty cool because you get to like, you get to be pretty autonomous. And I still got to go on like TDY trips with the company, so I was actively participating without flying, which was like a halfway point, I guess. But then this leads to me eventually the flight doc eventually saying, all right, let's have you talked to the psychologist, you know, and just see, like see if there's anything there, right, because we've ruled everything else out, we don't really have an answer. And after probably two months of talking to her, she's like, all right, we're gonna get you to the psychiatrist and we're going to try to treat you for anxiety and kind of see what happens. And at this point I didn't care because I hadn't know. There was no consequences at that point. So I do that and I get on I don't remember the first one, whatever lexapro or something like that, get on pills, and the symptoms started to improve, like not dramatically at first, but enough to be like, okay, like I think there's something here, right, and it didn't. There We went through maybe six different cocktails and drugs.
Speaker 4: Has anybody looked at your medical file to see like that you had had the ideations before, had anybody.
Speaker 3: Nobody even brought that up. Ever. Nobody brought that up ever, because I was honestly, like kind of scared that they would, right like, but no nobody ever brought that up, which I don't know if it's because it was too far back or what. But so, yeah, so I get to that point and it's working, and we finally get through a bunch of different medications because everyone has side effects of course that I hated, and we got to effects her and literally, I'm not kidding, like ninety five for some of the symptoms went away like it was like night and day, and it became it became to the point where they were still happening, but they were so situational that I could pinpoint exactly to what was happening and when they were happening. And once I told the psychologist that like, hey, it's happening when I'm in formation, right, or it's happening when I have to give a breef, or it's happening like when I go to church, or when I'm in like a big stadium. She read the symptoms of panic disorder and I was like freaking nailed it, you know, like I didn't want to accept it, right, but then I did. And I'm not gonna lie as cheesy as it is, like that's when I started actually healing and getting better. Was when I was like, Okay, this is it, you know, like, this is actually what's happening to me. Because I did not want mental health diagnosis. What was the process of the healing for it? Was it just the realization or were there other steps that you started taking with that. Yeah, So, contrary to most people's opinion, I will say the medication was the thing that gave me the space to heal. I know there's a lot of like hate on it medication for some reason, but it did give me the space to heal. Like so it allowed me to, like I said, like identify the problem and actually pinpoint what's happening instead of this it just being like this all day, you know, kind of crazy anxiety life, I guess.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, I tell guys to that and try to remind them, like, because there is a stigma against prescription drugs for some good reasons, I agree, some realistic reasons, and you know the way they affect people and guys really don't like how it makes them feel.
Speaker 4: And also, like I think the like a lot of like V eight like their reliance on it, that they're just gonna pump you full of it, and that's gonna be that's what you do.
Speaker 2: But the thing is some some of these guys, some of these veterans in this case, are hurting so bad they need those prescription drugs just so they can get to their VA.
Speaker 3: Appointments or whatever else is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so like I try to frame it for them, like use it as a stepping stone to get to the place you want to go, which I.
Speaker 3: Think is that's a great That's exactly what I would say too, is like it, like I said, it gave me the space, right, it gave me the clarity to be like, oh shit, okay, like that's what's happening. And then now I can figure out like what I need to work on externally so that because now I'm off the medication and I don't have those dizzy spells.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So it's one of those things that like it was necessary at the time and it was helpful at the time, but I don't see it as a long term like don't just accept you're going to be on it for the next time years, right, Like take it if it helps, you know, and then get yourself out of that situation by doing other things other than just relying on it.
Speaker 4: So when you when that space was created for you and you could sort of see it, were you getting guidance.
Speaker 3: In terms of how to manage it? Did you do your own research? How did that happen?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I will attest for and praise my psychologists at the one sixtieth so regiment has specific psychologists, and she was phenomenal. Like she very much was the Nobs type of psychologist that wasn't just trying to you know, like say I'll just float with the world, right, Like she was very like a practice Yeah, she was very practical. Yeah, very much like hey, dude, like why did this happen? How do we avoid this happening in the future, and how can we like make sure you know, you're you have the tools so that if it does happen again or you start to see signs that you can get yourself out of it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, she was phenomenal. I know not everybody can say that about every psychologist out there, but she was. I will give her like mad props for that. She was phenomenal through that. So what was that process like for you? Was like CBT? Yep, A lot of it was CBT. Actually most of it was CBT. I will say that, like, prior to getting on the meds, we tried those things and they didn't work. Okay, So that's where I say like the meds were important because when you're so deep in it, like if you just go meditate and think that's going to fix everything, like good luck, you know, at least in my situation, it was not attack. Yeah, exactly right. Yeah, And when I tried the breathing exercises, that's what it did. Yeah, Like I would try like box breathing and all that stuff, right, and everybody's like I watched YouTube videos, you know, and everybody's like, this is how you carr anxiety, right, if you're having a panic attack, just do this, And I would do it, and I'm like that's bullshit, Like that didn't do anything. That just made me think about my anxiety more and be more pissed off. So yeah, I mean, but the irony of that is like now those tools work, Like now that I'm out of that and now that I'm off meds, Like, now those tools work because I have a clear enough.
Speaker 4: Mind that I can actually use them, you know. So so what was that So you take the menage, you start the CBT, you start these things. What was that sort of process like for you?
Speaker 3: So it was a good it was about a year actually process from were you still an active the whole time? Yes? Okay, So I got medically retired in May of twenty twenty three. Okay, so once I got and I got the panic disorder diagnosis, I think in May of twenty two, So I think it was a full almost a full year of me basically trying to get back on my feet and get figure out what's happening and whether I'm going to get medically retired or not right, because I was trying to get back in the cockpit still. But it did get to the point where she was like, well, really me, I made the decision to get medically retired. So I got to the point where I was like, these I need to be on these meds. And I couldn't fly while I was on the meds. So well, you can, but it's a pain of the ass. And I was I was just at the point where I was like I'm freaking done, Like I've gone, I've put myself through so much shit, Like I just need to be done and get out. So that last year was me basically trying getting medically retired. So it was about a year. But the process to your question was it was a lot of CBT. It was a lot of It was a lot of digging into like the why of like everything kind of which like it's a big not right, yeah, yeah, like why are you? Like what do you want to do as a dad? What do you want to do? His husband? Like? It was a lot more like purpose finding, which was weird because I wasn't expecting that, but yeah, now that I look back on it, that's kind of what it was, was like why are you doing all of this? Why are you doing anything?
Speaker 4: You know? And like? And that was good because I never really stopped to think about that before. You know, I was just kind of knowing hud real quick. For people who might not know CBT is cognitive behavioral therapy, just just throw that out there.
Speaker 3: What did you ever tell her about like the ideations that you had had? Yeah, once I once I got permanently grounded, So once I had that narclepsy diagnosis. The gloves were off, I said, skirwt, like I'm I'm telling her everything, and that also attributes to her actually being able to diagnose me something and like actually be like okay, like that everything kind of makes sense now that you're talking about, you know, the irony or One crazy thing though, is when I like talked about those dizzey spells, nobody even brought up anxiety being an option, you know, like it seems kind of we literally did head to toe tests of everything else and anxiety never came up, and it didn't it wasn't to the point where we ruled everything out. So that was an interesting thing because I've talked to multiple people since I've like actually spoken about this who are like, dude, I've had the same dizzy spells almost, like, how is this not like a common knowledge from doctors? You know?
Speaker 4: Well, I also think though, that you know, when you when you talk about panic or anxiety, that unfortunately that there is a certain image of a person who suffers from panic or anxiety that comes to mind, and it's not some guy flying you know, black hawks through a rock.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That's a good point.
Speaker 4: That's a good point you think of, Yeah, you think of like some some victim, right, That's not that's scared to leave the vapors.
Speaker 3: It's you know yea. So yeah, And to be honest, I didn't want it to be sure, you know, like I wanted it to be like my ears were jacked up or something.
Speaker 4: That way I could justify it because panic or anxiety that that sounds like weakness. It's not exact, but it sounds.
Speaker 3: Like right exactly, yeah, and that's the Yeah, that's one of those stigmas, right yeah, yeah, good point. And so what was the next step for you and your family after being medically retired? So I've I am fortunate that I had this nerd side to me that always liked financial stuff. So I like grew up listening to Dave Ramsey and all that stuff, and I just had this like, I don't know, it's one of those guys that just like that would be my podcast that I listened to, you know, we're like personal finance stuff. So when I found out I was getting medically retires, is about it. I had about a year actual runway before I got out, which was a blessing. That's when I was like, all right, I'm going to go be a financial planner, and I started doing all my coursework and getting all my certifications, so that literally when I got out of the Army, I had my certify Financial Planner exam done and I was just ready to kind of hit the ground running, and I networked my way through LinkedIn, so people transitioning out there. One of the best things that I ever did was actually like reach out to people on LinkedIn, which went against everything I believed as a soft guy, right, no social media, but I got the balls to like actually message people that were on LinkedIn doing what I wanted to do, and we were looking at Charlotte. Yeah, and fortunately one of the guys that I messaged was like, Hey, I started a firm and we need advisors. Do you want to come work for us? And I was like, hell, yeah, that's amazing. So right off the bat, I was able to land a job in Charlotte and kind of it wasn't like a salary job though, so it was he would chill. It was what you kill. Yeah. It was basically like you start with nothing, you know, have clients, so you got to build it. It was kind of big with when you've got a family. Yeah, Luckily I did have like the military benefits. They weren't like full paycheck, right, they wouldn't like cover all my expenses, but I did have like the disability paycheck and stuff like that to kind of bridge the gap. And then some savings built up. But yeah, and then after about a year working for that firm, I met another guy in Charlotte who was starting his own firm and he said, Hey, do you want to come partner with me at this firm?
Speaker 4: And that's where I am now, and it's called Kaiden's Wealth Partners And what for anybody who needs a financial advisor in Northline. We're Charlotte, but we were virtual now virtual like anybody anywhere.
Speaker 3: What's the name again, Kayden's Wealth Partners, Caden's Wealth Partners. Yeah, and it's cool because I I work with veterans, Like that's my like niche Like I just love it, you know, Like I tried to go like the ultra high networth and all the cliche advisor you know routes, and then most of my most of the people that were coming to me were from my network, like naturally right first, and I was like I love this, Like I love working with them, you know. So so yeah, that's what I'm niched in too. It's fun. And how did this book project come about? Stigma, which is going to be out in October twenty First, good question. So when I was getting out, I none of my peers knew why I was getting out. They all I stuck with the narcolepsi diagnosis the entire time because that was the easy button, right, that was the non stigma button, right of like grounded for it, and I was grounded for it, right, So I did get diagnosed with it, you know, and that's what I felt. I was like, Okay, like I can tell people this because that doesn't mean there's something wrong with my head. Right, So all of that happened to me, all of these freaking five plus years of just grunting it out right and dealing with this and suffering through that. Once I finally got out and told I think I told my brother about it first and he was still in and he started crying and he was like, and he's not like he's a tough dude, you know, like he could kick my ass, to be honest, and he's my little brother. So that's saying a lot for me to admit that, but he started crying and I was like the hell, you know, and he's like, dude, why didn't you tell me? You know? I'm like I couldn't. Man, how am I Like? I couldn't tell anybody? Right? He's like that's a problem, and I'm like, yeah, it is, dude, I know, but I just didn't feel like I could so, like I couldn't even tell my own brother, you know who I'm like closest with more than anybody in the world. I was like, this is this is a cultural problem that like needs to be talked about. So that's kind of where I was like, screwt, I'm gonna talk about it and I'm gonna just lay it all out there and see what happens. Like it was terrifying initially the first time I talked about it. I was like, dude, I have no idea how people are going to react to this, you know, like, yeah, because those stigmas were still there, Like is my reputation going to be gone if I mentioned this? You know? But the surprisingly, man, it's been the opposite, and I, yeah.
Speaker 4: It's so weird to isn't, Because like the civilian world has gotten to a point I think where talking about whether it's panic or anxiety or whatever, you're talking whatever things you have going on with your strength, like they're almost badges of honor. And then we're civilian conversations now right where with the military or veterans and stuff like that, or maybe men in general.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Yeah, but it's still a very like yeah, because it's like, I don't know, I feel like it's like you feel like you're exposing weakness, you know what I mean, even though you're not. Like to be honest, the most courageous thing I did was talk about it. Yeah, as ironic as that is, you know, and as scary as it was, Like it it took balls to speak up about it, and like it's been super rewarding, Yeah, and my hope is that more people will come to that realization, you know that like dude, I was a zombie for six years of my life, you know, like I was not a present dad or husband, Like yeah, just sucks, you know. And so what's the book going to be about. It's your story, so it's it's going to be my story, but it's also going to be deconstructing some of those stigmas and saying showing why they're why. Some of them do have validity, right, because there are, at least in my situation as a pilot, there were repercussions for going on medication or doing that right, So there are some that have validity. But the primary objective with it is one to deconstruct the stigma and then two to show people that you can be a freaking stud and deal with this stuff and it's okay, right, it doesn't make you like less of a man or anything like that. So those are the big objectives, and then hopefully my my big overaarching mission is too and this is a really big mission, but to ultimately lower the suicide rate because like you've loved, I'm sure you guys have both lost friends to it, and I have two and they were studs, the people that I can think of literally off the top of my head, and I know they were dealing with some of this, and I know they were dealing with just the fear of what if I expose this right, And they got to the point where it was like it was easier for them to do it then to tell somebody about it, you know, which sucks, but yeah, that's the reality. So that's my overall like million you know mile mission is to go lower those stats.
Speaker 4: And so when is Stigma going to be out again? October twenty first, So please if you are listening to this, you know, there's not a there's not a pre order link out yet or not yet. So if you are listening to this, please put that in your phone as a reminder. October twenty first, Uh, for stigma.
Speaker 3: You know, you get this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these are things that you know, and even if it's not something for you, if it gives you awareness and you don't even have to be a veteran or no veterans, this is these are these are issues and and it'll give you, you know, a place to start, whether for yourself or for somebody who you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks, Yeah, I mean it's it's something that should just be talked about, you know, absolutely and not be like dude, you're a pussy for a saying that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I just think that's dumb and that's literally killing people exactly. It pisses me. Yeah, well, you know, and it's unfortunate because ever since Vietnam, you know, every portrayal of military post traumatic stress or military mental health has been post traumatic stress of you know, uh, somebody having flashbacks or whether it's the punishment, like it's it's always this really horrible uh representation of what veteranent mental health looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no that's true. I mean even in my situation, I got diagnosed with anxiety, PTSD, depression, and panic disorder, Like they just lumped it all together because they're like, I don't know what to do with this guy. Yeah, you know, so it's like, yeah, it's too your point, right, Like everybody just thinks PTSD, but there's so much more.
Speaker 4: And even though the even PTSD is not represented in modern culture the way it actually really is. Yeah, exactly, you know, like we're a danger to everybody around us. No, you're just a danger to yourself, right for sure. So yeah, so Stigma October twenty first will be released like on Amazon and all the it'll be everywhere, okay, everywhere you can buy a book.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Is there anything that we've left out or anything that where people find you? So? Good? Good point? Uh. The Nico Kelly dot com is my website.
Speaker 4: I got Instagram and YouTube links on there too, so I've got a YouTube channel where I'm talking about this stuff.
Speaker 3: And then I do want to do a nonprofit plug if you guys are cool, sure, absolutely so. A former one sixtieth pilot started a nonprofit in Nashville called the ARC Health Foundation, and I'm on the board of it. And essentially the the goal of it is to get around these stigmas while they still exist. So it's a human performance optimization center geared towards brain health, right, so, geared towards non medicinal ways to treat mental health. So I think, like all those modalities that like Andrew Huberman talks about, that's what it's focused on. It's going to be absolutely free to veterans and active duty So it's our health Foundation A good question, yeah, r K Health Foundation. Yeah. So it's going to be a completely stigma free place, right, Like somebody can just show up there and say, hey, like I want to go do this modality, right, and they don't have to say like because I'm depressed or because I'm dealing with this, right, it can just be like, hey, I want to get better at this or whatever, you know. So it's taking all that brain science and brain health that Hebreman's been spearheading and really putting the awareness out and putting them all together in one facility for active duty and veterans, right, it'll be really cool. Yeah, it's still in the startup phase, so we don't have the facilities. We need three hundred k four facilities to actually be fully funded, and the first one is going to be rolled out at Fort Campbell's. So yeah, that's awesome, pumped about it.
Speaker 4: And so should we start the gofund me for you guys or yeah, so from are more affluent viewers and listeners or kelth is like over three hundred k of endownmas right or whatever they call it.
Speaker 3: Donations, donations, thank you text deductible donating exactly right, Nicky, Nico Kelly. Great, and my all my handles are at the y and they're all they're all in the description. Yes, so thank you Nick for sharing your story with us. Yeah. I know some of these stories aren't pleasant to like kind of relive, but for the reasons you're well aware if.
Speaker 2: It's important to get that stuff out there too. God only knows who's watching these things. I mean, all types of people watch it. People who I hear.
Speaker 3: From them sometimes were like and this podcast got me through like a hard time in my life. It's like I never thought that people engage with it in that way. But I'm glad if it helps somebody. I hope so too. You know, all this message gets out there to folks, so yeah, thank you again, and we'll make an announcement on the show.
Speaker 2: When the book comes out also let folks know and for everyone else, we'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 3: Take care out there, and if you are not a member of our patreon.
Speaker 4: You might want to join to hear this really salacious story about how he met his wife.
Speaker 3: It's spicy, spicy. Hey, guys, it's Jack. I just want to talk to you for a moment about how you can support the show. If you've been watching it enjoying it, but you'd like to get a little bit more involved and help us continue to do this, you can check out our patreon. It is patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse, and for five dollars a month, you can get access to all of these episodes of The Teamhouse ad free. The same goes with our affiliated podcast Eyes On with Andy Milburn, Jason Lyons mcmulroy that one you will also get all of those episodes add free, and you support the channel and the show, and we really appreciate it. The Patreon members are literally what has helped this company, this small business, survive, especially during our early years, and you are what continues to help this thing going even as we navigate the turbulent world of YouTube advertising. So we really appreciate all of you guys. There's going to be a link down in the description to that Patreon.
Speaker 2: Page, and there is also going to be a link to our new merch shop, so if you guys want to go and get some Team House merchandise, we got stickers and we also have patches, and I should mention if you sign up for Patreon at ten dollars a month, we will mail you this patch as well, so we really appreciate that.
Speaker 3: But they're also for sale on the merch shop. And additionally, they got t shirts.
Speaker 2: Up there, water bottles, a tote bag, coffee mugs, all that good stuff, so please go and check them out and support the show.
Speaker 3: We really appreciate it, guys. Thank you.