Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: Hello there, and welcome back.
Speaker 3: What is this place as connected disconnected? It's connected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to feel.
Speaker 3: Disconnected the number that has been disconnected.
Speaker 2: Hello there, and welcome back to another episode of Reconnected Live with Crit And it is the middle of the night, so let's all be extra kind to Krit. Krit, thank you for waking up early for this.
Speaker 3: It's okay, I woke up at one I am. I'm on two and a half hours sleep.
Speaker 2: Scout. Tonight, we're we're gonna have a long announcement show. As usual, everybody's announcing everything under the sun. But also tonight we're talking about one of Krit and I's famous, uh like really favorite actors. I would say we've talked about him briefly in a couple other things, and this has been a long time coming. We're talking about Denzel tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Denzel is my favorite actor. I have two videos on my channel about Denzel. I have one sent me explaining why it's the greatest of all time, and I have another one where I watch every Denzel movie and then I rank them, which was fifty five at the time, but now there's highest to lowest, so it's outdated, so there's fifty six now. And also in doing this, I have changed that ranking quite a lot, so that video is nothing anymore. But still watch it anyway. It's like an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: So now there will be another Denzel video next week with this an hour and a half maybe of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to be honest, I should do one weekly just updating.
Speaker 2: We Yeah, so we're gonna be covering our top ten favorite Denzel movies at the end of this, and it's gonna be long. I'm gonna warn everybody now. When when we did our m Night Shyamalan video, we were like this might be like an hour, hour and ten minute and it was like two and a half hours. KRT and I like to talk. We break down a lot of this stuff, and Denzel's gonna bring out some opinions. I guarantee that. But I'm grateful you're here. It's been I was telling you before we went live. I was like, for some reason, twenty twenty five is really kind of went by without me noticing. I thought the last time you're on was May or June, and I went, oh, it's been seven months, welcome back.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's been like technically it's been a long time, but it literally feels like two months ago.
Speaker 2: Maybe well, and your life has changed kind of dramatically since the last time you're on here. Not only did you get a new job, you got engaged correcttions, Yes, I forgot about that here. I am just skeeping details of everybody's life for everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, things happened. Yeah, gone a new job, so that's great. I work from home now so I get to like do more stuff like watch Denzel movies. And yeah, I got engaged. I proposed in a castle up Scotland. It was very nice.
Speaker 2: It's just the traditional way that they do it over there. Don't get conned. Everybody does it. It was not special. Oh man. One thing I wanted to highlight, which everybody obviously I'm going to say this every time. Create all of his links from the description below, please go subscribe to his channel. He's great at what he does. One thing that we talked about in the sub or not the sub in the discord quite a bit is that you put up a video this year that if I'm remembering, right, it's like four and a half hours.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, if you to be fair, if you actually look, it's I think it's the last video uploaded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was like a month ago or something, because like after I finished, Yeah it's four hours and twenty nine minutes and thirty five seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you did like a three year hiatus after that.
Speaker 3: I get it, big big break. I couldn't go straight back to it.
Speaker 2: So this is a lot of people that are into physical media. It's some of their favorite types of videos. So what are you doing in the video? Because it is it's very different than other videos of this kind.
Speaker 3: See, I wouldn't know that because I don't watch them. So it's me going over every single thing that I own over and in that corner movie wise, even the stuff on top. You know, I go top to bottom, just kind of talking about what the movie is, why I own it, where I got it, what I think about the movie and such. It took me, I think, two weeks to film it because like I would sit there for it takes a long time to talk about these. I was thinking, like, Okay, it wouldn't be that bad, you know, you talk about a movie for like a minute or whatever. But the problem is if you have like eight hundred movie because that's not even the biggest collection ever, it's relatively small compared to a lot of people's. But like if you talk about at least, you know, one movie for two minutes and then average that out, it's so much time. So yeah, it was. It was absolutely killing me to make that video. I was regretting it. Halfway through.
Speaker 2: I went, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna listen to this while I work. It'll probably take a few days, no big deal. I got through like the first fifteen titles and I was already like, oh man, now if you go add stuff to a wish list, And by that point, I'm already lost, and I'm like, Jesus, what is going on. We're eight minutes into this And he said these were quicker than the rest, and oh boy, And yeah, it's a it is a long haul video, however, very worth it to find out like somebody's inner psyche of why they own many of these, what they like about them, old experiences with them. It's it's well done.
Speaker 3: So a lot of that showed up. But because I think I told you, like The raw footage of all of that was about seven and a half hours, So there's like three hours of just me yapping about, like, you know, random stuff about these movies that got cut so to make it at least us some godly length. So yeah, there's so much in that. I think, honestly, the movies I care the least about the DVD section, not even the Blu rays. It's my favorite section of the video because like half of them aren't even mine. That like my fiances movies, and they're the most made up movies ever. Just shit, no one's ever seen, no one's ever heard of. It's complete bullshit, Like, yeah, it's random as fuck. But yeah, I did enjoy the video after making it. But the making of it was awful.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, it's ah. It was a feat hearing hearing your lamenting as you recorded it and sent me messages.
Speaker 3: It's like every.
Speaker 2: Day I think, Well, one of the first few, I think you said something like I'm through the first three rows and I'm sweaty or something like yeah, yeah, great, I don't remember. Anyways, speaking of those shelves, what what have you been adding some pickups recently?
Speaker 3: So yeah, right, I'll just go for a little pile of that I've created. So I picked up The Haunting of Hill House the Director's cut, which I think three of the episodes have directors cuts. Yep, I'm a big Mike Flannagan guy, big Stephen Stephen King, big Shirley Jackson guy. And yeah, I recently read this book which got me back into the mood of watching it. And yeah, it's fantastic. It's it's a perfect show. It's a perfect horror show. Mike Flanagan is the go. We ended up going through all the Mike Flanagan stuff, so we are just I think like two episodes away from finishing House of Bus shirt nice. But yeah, Mike Flanagan, it's my guy. Directed The Life of Chuck this year, which I've pre ordered the whichever especially it. Yeah, that's the one. It was like a month ago, so I forgot I love that.
Speaker 2: I remember that for you.
Speaker 3: I lo that was on Okay, Oh another TV show? I got Season one of Fallout on.
Speaker 2: Four k oh nice any of it yet? Right?
Speaker 3: First of all, I've never played a Fallout game. But the show is really really good, Like it's a really good show. I can't speak to how like faithful it is because I don't know, but the show is really good. My biggest gripe though, is that the four K is like this like really thin one. Right, The standard Blu Ray release of this season is thick because it comes with like extras. It comes with like a poster and stuff, and I was like, why does the Blu ray have all this extra shit and the four K gets nothing. I was really upset about that, but I wasn't not going to buy it on four K, so.
Speaker 2: Weird.
Speaker 3: I got the Arrow release of The Good, The Bad, the Weird.
Speaker 2: Good Movie Good.
Speaker 3: I still need to like get back through like this version of it, but I've not really seen many movies as I've late, I might as well actually talk about these together. So I picked up the BFI release of Chronos, which is like this really chunky, very very beautiful. I saw this for the first time recently when I did my game Mother Toro Binge, and yeah, it's really really good. I loved it a lot. At the same time, I picked up Pacific Rim on four K because it's Pacific Rim del Toro. It's beast deep. Read that that that the error release of Deep Red because I was watching some Dario Argento movies not too long ago, and this is one I've never seen. Yeah, I know, everyone tells me like this is like one of the ones. I've seen a bunch of Dario Argenta, but this is like one of like the the most cannon ones that I haven't seen. So I'll get to it at some point. Speaking of m Night, we got Unbreakable on four K.
Speaker 2: Finally looks good on four K two.
Speaker 3: I just love it. Something I don't like how they've like airbrushed Bruce Willis on this cover.
Speaker 2: Though every single M Night film on four K from the studio has looked like crap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, the signs four K is awful. It's like one of the scariest things I've ever seen. It's like they've got like mannequins of the actors that have like slightly melted. It looks horrific. But I had the still book for that, so I don't have to deal with that problem.
Speaker 2: Smart Man, Strange Darling. I love that movie. I have that released too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great movie, really love it. JT. Moulner recently with The Long Walk rather Long Walk, and yeah, everyone should go and see The Long Walk. Because it is really good.
Speaker 2: JT. Mulner currently working on the Texas Chainsaw Asker TV show too.
Speaker 3: That is true. I knew that yesterday and the last thing this was a pre order that I forgot. I pre ordered it is The Hackers four K. My friend recommended this movie to me weirdly enough, like I don't know four or someth ago or something, and I was like, this sounds stupid. I'm in and I watched it and it is stupid and I loved it. And then literally the next month this was announced nice and I was like, oh, that's crazy, So I pre ordered it like immediately.
Speaker 2: Very nice it is. It is a very silly movie, but it is quite fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's so nineties. It's goofy as fuck, Like none of the computer stuff is at all accurate to anything.
Speaker 2: I don't even think it aged like eighteen months after that came out. Literally, I seriously about that time, I was like, oh, that that's very dated. It was like that just premiered last March.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be real. With the exception of Matthew Lillard and Angelina Jolie, I don't think this cast aged eighteen months. I think everyone became pretty much irrelevant as soon as this movie dropped.
Speaker 2: I can't really argue that.
Speaker 3: Probably actually no, because there's this one guy in it that's in success Yeah, that's that. I never know the guy's name, but we used to call him neck because in Succession he has like a really big bubble head and a really thin neck yep.
Speaker 2: Uh is it Ethan Embry? I always want to say that.
Speaker 3: It might be oh right, yeah, and it also has what's his name, penn from Penninella or is it? Yeah, I don't know which one is angel Lette? Yeah, that one. He's in it randomly as well. Such an odd movie it is, Yeah, hakash Me.
Speaker 2: I've got a very small amount of things to talk about. But the first is the newest issue of the magazine finally showed up a get three weeks into the month, and uh, it is really nice in the hand check this out. I posted about Patroon. We'll talk about that tonight, but if you sign up in the next couple of days, you can still get that issue before October rolls around. Oh, I did not mean Fisher Stevens. If that's who it is, that's really funny because they are not related in any way, thanks Simmer. My next pickup is a lot of maca Oops, I'm dumb. My next is the Mondo Macabre pickup. This is I Hate My Body, which is by far to me the most intriguing of the recent I think it was three films that they put out, and yeah, these were shipping a little late, and I think there was a delay for some because they ran out of red cases, but those should be shipping down the next couple of days. Altered Innocence, I feel like he is not getting a lot of coverage lately. But I immediately had to get so unreal that they announced this is a music heavy release that they did, and I loved this inner art and yeah, this is one that is narrated by who is it. It's a man to somebody, Amanda Kramer, who's real heavy into this. Debbie Harry's involved heavily in this. I'm very curious about this one. So we'll be checking that out. And then we're talking about Umbrella tonight and their second announcement or sorry, their announcement for the second volume of the New Zealand Cult films that they're doing. I just got in the first volume. This is Kiwi Cult Volume one. This has in it the irreparable truth about demons, perfect Creatures or sorry, perfect Creature and Under the Mountain three films, three Separate Cases comes with the book Nothing Else Crazy. It's not like one of the Umbrella collectors editions that are super lavish. It's basically just a hard box on a book that you get with it. But for New Zealand films that even like a lot of New Zealand individuals don't know about, I feel like this is a pretty good deal for three decent movies. Noodles is saying, what label is this? This is Umbrella. If you're talking about the last one that was Altered Innocence. Altered Innocence, you had gotten a little bit burned out on movies, so you were not watching stuff for quite some time. Tonight with us talking about Denzel, that reignited some things. Do you want to share anything about the movies you've watched this week or do you want to play koy until the end? Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is so. I watched like a lot of a lot of movies, and when I started my new job from working from home, I ended up watching like five six movies a day, and it got to the point where, like I just I couldn't stand watching movies anymore. And then so I started reading more, and then I started watching TV shows a bit more with my partner. And yeah, I've waved in and out. But this last week I was like, right, I probably should watch, you know, one or two Denzel films just to refresh my mind. And I watched My Bed of Blues and I was like, man, I love Denzel. So I've ended up watching ten Denzel movies this month, this month, this week. So actually I say that the last like three days, I watched tenth and Denzel movies. Not all of them are on the list, but yeah, some of them are. There's no point going into them because most of them I'm going to talk about at some point. I'll probably find a way to squeeze in the other ones into some like conversation. Anyway, But before that, what did I watch? I watched Eddington, which, oh yeah, I'm like a known ri Asta hater. He's off fraud Watch. I put him on fraud Watch for a while, but I'm taking him off because Eddington was all right. It was decent, good little movie.
Speaker 2: Off fraud Watch is hilarious to say about one of the most highest acclaim up and cutting directors.
Speaker 3: The Man's a fraud. I watched I Know What You Did last summer, the new one. I'm sorry about that. Yeah, horrific. I was live updating you while I was watching it. It took me half a day to watch it because I kept stopping. I couldn't watch it was awful. And then yeah, I just watched some other stuff from this year. Found footage the making of The Patterson Project, which was okay together, oh hi, and The Long Walk, which is fantastic.
Speaker 2: Oh did you like? OHI I don't remember if you.
Speaker 3: I didn't like, write a review or nothing, but I thought it was okay.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 3: It was a charming little movie. I don't think like I'll be talking about it at any point, but.
Speaker 2: Like visual essay springs to now, but it's fine.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, I also watched Highest to Lowest.
Speaker 2: Obviously, of course Karin wants to know if if you're okay with sharing, what do you do for a job.
Speaker 3: I don't know that. I'm so eneruptured by myself. I am a QA so a quality quality assurance for a tech company. So basically we run like it's it's called a PIN, which basically just means we manage data for companies like if you're in the you guys have do you guys have JD JD Sports? I don't know if you do, probably not JD Sports. It's like a UK like chain where they sat like trainers and yeah, football tops and whatever. They're online stores. That date is managed for us, so they don't update their website directly, they do it through us and whatever. Anyway, if a code developer makes a bit of code changes the system, I'm the one that has to make sure it works. Pretty much, that's a that's my job.
Speaker 2: Not too bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get to I get to break code for a living.
Speaker 2: Basically break code and then attempt to fix it. What do you call the fraud? As much as mediocre to consistently underwhelming, says Noodles. I get that. I think a lot of people feel that way. Actually recent watches for me, so this has been a wild week. We started off with the Patreon watch along was this last weekend in the discord and we watched a Pedro Almadovar film from nineteen eighty three called Dark Habits It Is. It was an interesting response. Yeah, so it is quite early and almador our career, so it doesn't have his his skill mastered yet. It's still quite stylish, but it was certainly not for me. Pretty Much everything else I've seen from him has been vastly superior. However, still worth the watch. You see some nuns doing Heroin. If that's your bag, I guess it's. It's not a terrible movie, you tell me, Dovar, So yeah, it was never gonna be awful, but no worth watch. After that, I had my of course theater day at the weekend. There was only a triple feature this weekend, went and saw him about that, went saw a big, bold, beautiful Journey. This is the newest one with Margot Robbie and Colin Ferrell and this one go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, I've not seen it, so I can't ready comments on it, which is weird. It's not often that someone's seen a new movie and I haven't, so this is like a fun, refreshing moment. I just didn't know it existed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the marketing has been weird, like I've seen. I've seen the trailer a lot because I go to the theater every single weekend. But other than that, I don't think I've heard of it outside of the theater.
Speaker 3: I literally saw a TikTok about it yesterday and I was like, Oh, what's Colin Farrell dude like hanging out with Margot Robbie. That's so weird. And then the like in the little description it was like going say, and I was like, I have a movie. Yeah, why isn't that everywhere?
Speaker 2: What's funny is your response to it is basically the response that I felt in the theater. I was like, why are they hanging out next week? They had zero chemistry. I get that everybody has been saying that, but it's absolutely true. It certainly feels like they're they're both falling in love with different people that aren't in the movie with them. Oddly, the biggest thing like it's it's a beautiful movie. It's shot wonderfully. It's Coconata, so it's going to be colorful and like whimsical and stuff. However, the dialogue certainly a little awkward for me. It definitely felt a little less human than I think they would have been in the moment. It's meant to be like a bubblegum pop type of script, it feels like, and it's it's quite mainstream in that effect that the plot itself is not mainstream. So I feel like those are sort of juxtaposing a bit. I like this, but as as Simnars trying to say it puts Life of Chuck to shame, it does not. Life of Chuck is miles beyond.
Speaker 3: I haven't even seen this movie. I'll break this screen until dad.
Speaker 2: That's really funny. Followed that up though, with my favorite movie of the week, which is The History of Sound. This is the newest one with Paul Meskal, which I fell in love with after After Sun, because that movie is a masterpiece. I've seen it, gosh, I think five times or four times in the last three years already. But the big thing is he stars with Josh O'Connor and they're both just magnificent. In this movie. It's about two students at a music conservatory in I think it's Boston or the Northeast somewhere like that, in like the mid nineteen tens. They're literally in the middle of the First World War and that comes into play a little bit. But it's this very quaint, slow moving story about their relationship forming as friends and like lifelong friends and more obviously as that goes on, because they're inseparable, and then they're forced to separate, and then they are separated without their choice, and there's a lot of anguishes that goes through. But the big thing is it's they're collecting songs, is the way that they put it in the movie, And they're going around with wax cylinders for people to record, and when they get them, it's supposed to be going into the conservatory for this big music program. But it is emotional, it is beautiful, it is wonderfully acted. If you don't like slow cinema, you're probably not gonna like this movie. It's not like nothing happens type of cinema, but it is a very almost like melodrama type of twenty twenty five tempt at telling history through a romantic, interspersed life story type of movie. And it's great. I walked out of the movie and told my wife, I think we just watched Gay White Sinners and that's how it felt. But I've gotta be honest, the same year that Sinners came out, they'd probably make a double feature to just absolutely wreck you emotionally and musically. It's a really good time. Yeah, check out the History of Sound because I feel like hardly anybody is going to see that movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll watch it. You convinced me.
Speaker 2: There's one A very passionate the last thing I watched this week, which I'm only saying this because I'm leading into a watch of the sequel on Saturday, and I'm very much not looking forward to it. I finally got to see The Strangers Chapter one, and all I have to say is, why did they make that movie? It is the hottest of hot garbage. My dear friend Dustin, who he is probably gonna watch us at some point in comment and say, oh my gosh, he posted a review of it today because he watched the first one again. He really likes the first one, and Dustin, I'm sorry that you hit your head this morning. The Strangers Chapter one is not good. It's not good in the least bit. I don't know why they had to do this. It is a beat for beat remake, but like they were making it while trying to find out if they could close all the doors and not have oxygen and see how long they could survive. Because it's bad, It's real bad.
Speaker 3: No. I did write a big piece of out Strangers chapter one somewhere and I just thought, I thought like it might have just been on letterbox, but it's not, so I have no idea where that is. It's awful. Yeah, it is terrible. It is just the first movie or Lover Again, but way worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many asked nine decisions about it, Like the big one that I'll point out. And this is not a spoiler in any way, but the main character's boyfriend, he just randomly goes and gets on a motorcycle that he's never driven before, knows how to start it, knows how to drive into town after like a wet, rainy day, and goes and gets food and he's totally fine, and he gets back to the house and all that. Why he would not have been able to do that. It's not something he could do. The sequel is going to be the same director as Strangers chapter one, noodles, but it's not the same director as the two thousand and eight one. Very different, much much worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you want to watch The Strangers chapter one, just rewatch The Strangers and you'll be good.
Speaker 2: Rewatch the Strangers, but close one eye and stand on your head, and it's basically Strangers chapter one that works. I've not finished it yet, but I did want to give a shout out. I started watching Ephis this movie freaking rules. Yeah, it is such a good hangout vibe, just great time. I've got about twenty five minutes left, but it is a blast. One of the best of the year by far. Definitely gonna be top ten, top fifteen for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have it quite high in my in my list as currents. I've seen one hundred and twelve twenty twenty five films and it's just outside the top ten.
Speaker 2: I am doing way better than I've ever done in a current year, and I think this is going to be. Oh before I answer this, let me let me make sure, because I don't think I'm including the ones from this last weekend. Once Ephis gets added in there, I will be at ninety two, and for me, that's really high. I used to be like this, finish the year at like forty if I'm lucky.
Speaker 3: Look at you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this will go into the theater for a whole day every weekend really kind of helps. I've noticed it is a good movie. Check it out, noodles. It's a blast.
Speaker 3: It is it's very good, all.
Speaker 2: Right, anything planned for you show that you want to highlight before we get into the announcements tonight. Well, oh.
Speaker 3: No, I am working on a video very very slowly, but I just I don't have the motivation to do a lot of it. I mean, I've done it's a big project again, just like the last one, and I've edited about like I don't have an hour of it. And even then that, like that hour is not even touching like a quarter of it. So it's a big boy project, so it won't be for a very long time.
Speaker 2: So well, I've got two more things to talk about before we do announcements. One heavily involves Chrits, So I'm gonna bring that one up real quick. You got to help with a disc in the last couple of weeks. You got to edit a piece for the imprint release of Jade Damn right, I did. Yeah, that was fun. You know, you kind of crushed it. It was like the.
Speaker 3: Quickest turnaround of anything I've ever edited ever, because I don't ever like edit anything with any urgency, not anymore anyway. Like back when I used to do two videos a week, there was a lot of urgency, but since I stopped doing that, there's none at all. But as soon as you messaged me about that, I was like, I was like, yep, I'll do that, like the next day, I'm available.
Speaker 2: You you did an absolutely wonderful job. Michelle is very happy with how her essay turned out with your panache on it. How was that different in all compared to all the visual essays you do for your channel or did it feel like you had just been studying this for years now?
Speaker 3: I don't know how to say this sounded like a dick, but like.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a dick, we want to hear.
Speaker 3: That it was way easier than my channel. Ways you one, Yeah, like editing for a YouTube audience is a lot different than editing for, like, you know, someone that's watching like a bonus feature, Because if someone's sat there to watch a bonus feature, they've already kind of processed in their head that they're just sitting there watching this thing whatever. But like with YouTube, like I feel like it has to be so stimulating all the time, you know, as people lose interest and it doesn't get picked up and blah blah blah blah blah. And also like the copyright thing, like if anyone watches my videos, you I mean, especially like recent times, there's a cut in the footage every four seconds or so, which which makes like a ten minute video take hours to edit. Whereas this you don't have to worry about the copywriter as much. You still have to worry about pacing and stuff, so you cut it appropriate times and stuff like that, but like you don't have to worry about getting trip top as much. Plus it's just more fun because I didn't know really what was in there. It was about whereas like when it's me, I know exactly what it is. It's scheduled, just regimented. Like when I write a script, I will already in a separate folder, have like it planned the editing from top to bottom, what images I need, what footage I need, and it's all numbered, so when I've taken into the program, it's all in place kind of already. And with this, it was just kind of like listen to it and figure it out, which was like fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And one thing I got to find out because I've not asked this just had you seen Jade before this edit? Or was this the first time watch?
Speaker 3: I didn't watch it, which made edit in it like really difficult because anytime, like she mentioned like a character in the movie, I had to google who the character was just to make sure. But I feel like I've seen it now because I've had to, Like I had the footage of the whole movie and I was like going through and I was like, so I know what it's about. I know the engine, like I've never like properly seen it, but yeah, it made That's why there was like a whole confusion was like a character's name and stuff like that, and it was tripping me out because I was like, I'm missing something here, but no, I want to see it, and if I get a copy of this release, then I'll definitely.
Speaker 2: See it the film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, but yeah, if I get this copy, I probably will watch it. It's freedkin, of course I'm going to watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's uh, it's it's really good. I think it's a lot better than people give it credit for. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I looked and like the I can't remember exactly what the Rotten Tomatoes is. Let me let me have a loop.
Speaker 2: It's not great, No, it's awful.
Speaker 3: It's like eighteen percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The big problem is it came out like three weeks or four weeks after show Girls and everyone he was like, oh, ironic thrillers are done now, and Jade came out and everybody's like, yeah, we don't care. This is bad, and it was. It was just poorly made, when in our reality it's Friedkin. It's wonderfully made. There's a really great chase scene in it, some like gnarly very adult scenes with some like really crazy blood for a pretty mainstream movie that came out. Well, this is the thing.
Speaker 3: I saw that the you know, the the eighteen percent, and even when I saw it, I was like, that doesn't look right. I've not seen this, and I'm I can be fairly certain. Eighteen percent is harsh, like I have seen what Freed can can do. And then a certain point it's like there's directors where like even at their worst, something is competent. Yeah, you know, like the worst Bilberg movie is still competently made, you know.
Speaker 2: So like especially that in his career, if it was like year three, maybe okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is ninety five, Like Friedkin's not new, you know. So from what I saw, it looked very well made.
Speaker 2: It is quite well made, and Brian is right. He says, the problem is David Carrodine. He means David Caruso, but yeah, David Caruso is absolutely the problem on Jade. He doesn't fit tonally and I think that's why he got relegated to TV pretty quickly after this movie came out. Yeah. The other thing to bring up is a quite British problem this week as well. So it's it's a specific that krit is here. Gary is asking for it in the comments too, so I planned to bring this up. He says, could you discuss BFI's four k's of No. S Faratu the Vampire and A Geary the Wrath, So yeah, let's get into this. So there's been some quote controversy. BFI had announced four K releases of A Geary and No. Sparatu the Vampire hertzk that people love, like these are very beloved films. I've got literally a Noswarautu the Vampire poster right there that I can see. These are movies that people had wanted in like legendary four k's for the longest time, and then they come in from BFI and somebody's taken some screen caps and post on Reddit that these were restored by AI and you can tell by looking at the faces. And here's some screen caps to compare the Blu Ray and the four K. Now the way that they are put together. In the Reddit post that started this whole flame war, they look pretty not great. I will say, they don't look very filmic. They look quite de noised, and we'll get to that just a moment. However, I didn't see anything that would say immediately this is AI specifically, so I didn't really say anything. I didn't post anything. A couple of us we talked about it and dms and stuff, but that was it. But then mar from Orbit DVD went and posted that he took it home and opened it up because one was damaged, and watched it and he said it looks very good. Everybody will probably appreciate this. Now, a lot of people noticed, Hey, you own a retail store. You don't want people to cancel discs. You have every reason to say that this looks great. And so people started making Reddit posts in response to his social media posts, saying marks a complete liar. These look awful. He should not have said anything all this big hubbub. The reality is here's where we are. The BFI has responded in a couple spots on social media saying that the German company that restored these did not allow them to do any further restoration work on the scans that they were given. They had tinkered with them in some ways that the BFI does not know all the details about, and they were forced to choose to release them like this or not release them at all. Now, many of you would probably say, well, yeah, don't release them, because you should stay behind the integrity of what you're putting out and know that it's the highest of quality. And honestly, I can't really argue with that. If you think it looks bad, why are you releasing it? I get that, But they had already paid for everything. There was no way out of the license. It was either that or take a huge loss. And it's the BFI like they're supported by donations through the British government and a lot of other things that they don't have a ton of money to just lose on a couple giant titles. Sadly, so my thoughts does it look like it could be AI? Yes with the question mark. If you look at the screen caps, specifically one to one right against each other. The BLU ray to my eyes does look better, specifically the coloring. However, one of the things that I definitely want to say about this is that the ability to like d noise film in very very like the most base, not even like filmmaking programs or anything like that, like Da Vinci Resolve. You can denoise things and it looks like it is that level of denoising done where everything is smoothed out. It almost looks like like foreheads are like painted clear, almost not like the color clear, but like clear of any blemishes. You can very much tell that it's been had a lot of very heavy DNR applied pretty much throughout the entire film. It's not a great look. That being said, does it look so bad that you don't want to watch it?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 2: Really? Will we ever know if it's truly AI? Probably not now. The sad thing is that response doesn't get clicks and people riled up to either buy or cancel orders. That will never be discussed with Nuance anywhere. But yeah, we probably just don't know what it was. The hard part is that right now everybody wants to scream a when there's something that they don't like, and de noising and scrubbing grain out of film has been around for a long time. That doesn't mean that it's generative AI doing it, which means you probably should not apply that term to it as an accusation publicly unless you have reason to believe it. One specific example that I will share that is very obviously doing that over the last couple of years is the Isle of Lucy blu Ray set that came out in the background of some of those scenes. There are faces that when they are will say like they're looking away from the camera like this, and then they start to turn. When they get about here, a full face appears like here, and then it distorts as they keep coming around with the camera. It's really bad if it's AI. If you're watching a moving image, you should be able to know very quickly. If you're looking at a still image, unless there's something very obviously fake like eighteen fingers on a hand or something like that, it could be quite difficult to say, see is this AI or is it really bad? Like removal of grain and smoothing. It's not great either way, Like I said, it does it's not something that's appealing in a filmic way. However, jumping to AI is ridiculous we definitely need a more nuanced when discussing this as a as a industry and as hobbyist and as people that love movies period. Any thoughts on AI crit other than you're you're vehemently for it. Uh oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I fucking love AI now and it's awful. It's genuinely terrible. I hate it unfortunately part of my job and a big part of my job actually because I for a like PIM system, we have an AI section and it doesn't work. It's broke, it's fucked. I'm the one that I'm like the specialist in the AI department to test it. Yeah, and it's awful. Like I have to see just bullshit AI stuff all day every day, and it's terrible. And to think that any of that gets anywhere near art, especially stuff like nus Ferati the Vampire, that's disheartening if true. But also like I've seen so many restorations that just have you know, shitty quality to it that makes it seem like AI even if it's not. But yeah, I don't know, Like I think BFI historically have been a decent company that put out decent releases and stuff like that, So I don't think like it's it's worth trying to like jumping straight to an accusation and almost ruining a reputation of a fairly innocent like distributor, like because the AI tag is so I don't know, just mark it's so marking for for for a label. You know, if like James Cameron used their AI to restore like Aliens and all of that stuff, and it's like it's pretty much killed all hope for any future James Cameron restorations. People don't want to see any of them at all because you know, the the AI thing. Yeah, yeah, So even if like you know, they do a future one without AI, people aren't going to care. People aren't going to want it because of you know, the bad history and they're applying that same kind of hatred or that same kind of mark to BFI without verification, which I think is very strong, especially since it's off stills. Now. I don't think, you know, stuff should be degrained and stuff like that. I personally love the texture of film, but.
Speaker 2: It is what it is.
Speaker 3: It happens all the time, you know, and stills can be really really deceiving, you know, like how this movie looks in motion and how it will look in still form is going to be completely different. It always is. The opposite is true as well, Like sometimes you see it still of a movie that looks amazing and then you watch the movie and it's awful. This is a terrible movie. So like you know, it goes either way. But yeah, AI stinks.
Speaker 2: I do agree with Craig who says scrubbed of grain should it be acceptable either? I agree fully it absolutely should not be. This joke is very good. Matthew. Matthew says, my bigest issue with AI is Haley Jolasmu's perform horments, Yes, hilarious. Noodle says, my biggest complaint with older films getting newer releases as far as their quality goes, is whether the skies are blue or look dirty, scratched or hyper grainy. I mean they should look for some of them very grainy. Film inherently has grain, so I can't necessarily agree with that. Last Brandon says, did they not agree to do restoration of the materials when they strike the licensing deal? How can the German provider, the OCN say no, you can't restore this because they don't allow them to do any more work on the materials depending on what their contract is, which I should state. Supposedly BFI is saying that Shout is actually or sorry, was actually able to do restoration work after the same scan that the BFI got, so Shouts might be very different. We have not seen those yet. They are also announced in coming very very soon. But it is absolutely something that you got to pay attention to. It is super important. The BFI four K of a Geary hadn't seen it since DVD looked pretty good, says Brian. Problem is if I take off a string crap to find out for myself, then I can't return it. Honestly, I'm keeping both of mine. I completely understand that fully. Matthew. Part of me says, keep the grain because that's how it looked on release. Another part of me says, there's no grain in real life, so if you can make a movie more lifelike, have at it. That's not how it was captured at the time. Though the film that was being used, especially before gosh, like nineteen ninety one ish, it was inherently more grainy. We'd not gone so far into the cell technology that it was not super grain free. I mean, if you look at even movie shot on film in twenty twenty five are a lot less greeny than something shot on film in nineteen eighty five. The cost of the materials, the quality of the materials, all of that changes it entirely.
Speaker 3: Also, I'm a big believer that film should look the furthest from real life as possible. Yeah, you know, I think that's a major problem with like a lot of modern movies now. People say, you know, they're always moaning about lighting in the way like things are set and blah blah blah blah. But I think it's this addiction that companies have with making things look real, having the lighting look realistic. Who gives a fuck. I have never watched it, you know, like say in our Gentle movie and complained that it's you know, that the red lighting is not realistic enough because it's art. It's not meant to be what we have. If all movies are just real life, then there's no point in watching them. You might as well just live. Yeah, you know, I watch art to see the world in a different lens than what I see it in.
Speaker 2: I get that folly And yeah, just like pauls as too smooth as never a good look. Craig says film stocks are chosen specifically for the amount of grain they have. Grain levels often part of the artistic choice of the director and cinematographer. Absolutely, and then he also says some HGR releases pushed the grain and noise well beyond what they would have looked like. I agree that can be an issue. Yeah, something to keep in mind for sure, Gary, great, great way to say this. Grain is the mechanism that delivers the detail and film. You can't just scrub grain then slap on a sharpening filter. Fucking topaz.
Speaker 3: Apparently you can.
Speaker 2: So just like that next crag. Thanks for while you're insight, but that's over, Krit says, you can.
Speaker 3: So apparently you can. I'm not an expert in the fields, but they're doing it.
Speaker 2: On that note, I think it's I think it's time to get to it.
Speaker 3: An.
Speaker 2: That was so dismissive and I loved it.
Speaker 3: It was a good point, Gary, bad it was, Ryan.
Speaker 2: Says to Craig's point, stocks are also chosen by budget. Slower stock needs more light means bigger budget abs. Absolutely. All right, let's get started with the UK. Since Krit is here November seventeenth, there is a four K coming from Second Site of Pearl and of Maxine. We're gonna be talking about both of those. But I gotta admit it's getting to be kind of a running joke that I will say I've got a feeling that something's coming, and then the next week he gets announced. Literally last week on the show, I said, man, I have a feeling Second Site is going to be doing a trilogy of all these and then they only announced two out of three. But hey, I was two thirds, right, What do we know why they're not doing X? Somebody else already has the rights to X and they are holding it hostage from them in the UK.
Speaker 3: Stinker, I'll be picking up the PAL, I will not be picking up Maxine, and then if they eventually get to X, then I'll be picking that up as well.
Speaker 2: Yep. So the extras here, you'll notice they are quite different than the A twenty four extras because they are actually fairly robust here compared to A twenty four's not super long listed. So for Pearl, we got HDR with Dolby Vision Adolby Atmos, New commentary with Alexander Heller Nicholas, New interview with Ty West, New interview with Tandy Wright. New interview with the DP Elliot Rocket, new interview with the production designer Tom Hammock, a new visual essay by Joe Wallace. There is a piece called Coming Out of Rachelle and Time after Time. Those are also on some other releases. We've also got one hundred and twenty page book with new essays by gent Adams, Joel Harley, mo Mooshati, Tory Petenza, Vana Taylor, and Nadan Whitney. Plus the very stereotypical second site list of six collectors art cards, because they do that for every release to make it look like it's loaded with extras. Yeah, this is a solid release. I loved Pearl. I think this is my favorite of the three. Still good movie, good art. I think this looks good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, five looks really nice. I'll be picking it up.
Speaker 2: Of love for Pearl in the comments. Love seeing that Maxine is the second one from them, also coming on November seventeenth on four K. This is my least favorite of the three. I don't hate this one, but it's I feel like it's a big quality drop off from the other two. The art for this one, I feel like is off compared to Pearl. It just doesn't quite feel right on the box week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know why it's so read either. The movie's not very red, is it.
Speaker 2: No, it could have been like a purple or pink and it would have been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit. I think pink would have been more.
Speaker 2: Soon we got hdr Adoby Vision adolby Amos again, new commentary by Bill Ackerman and amandareas. I really want to hear that commentary. There's a new interview with Ty West again, new interview with Jacob Jeffi, who's the producer on this. We got a new interview with the director of photography, Elliott Rocket again. We got a new interview with the production designer in this one, which is Jason Kisvarde. We've got Cat Hughes speaking on Maxine, and then four other features and Q and a's that were on some other releases in these states. And then again a one hundred and twenty page booklet with new essays by Raina Servantes, Sarah Miles, Sam Moore, James Rows, Rebecca Sace, and Michelle Swope and six more art cards.
Speaker 3: It doesn't even art cards, No, they're like character.
Speaker 2: She yeah, yeah, let's see, there's something off with her face. On the box. Yeah. I mean, even if the booklet cover was the cover of the box, I think it would have been a little bit better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed, let's see.
Speaker 2: Steffino says, I'm sure alone, but I thought this one was better than this one was better than Triple X.
Speaker 3: Or are you saying than X is better than the Vin Diesel movie?
Speaker 2: I think not. Yeah, I love X is almost as good as Pearl in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have X and Pilot like that the same level. They're both really good.
Speaker 2: Nice. Josh talked with Bill about the commentary a few months ago. Any guesses on the label for the licensing for X, it is, we already know it. It's entertainment and Video and they've only released it on Blu Ray and that's the best you're getting, So good luck. It's not even a good label. It's not a good release. It's tripe. So yeah, that's it for Second Sight, and I will be the one before all the comments start saying it. Where's Possession? I have that question too. I have a feeling we will get that announced in not tomorrow but next Friday.
Speaker 3: Mother fuck it. I get to miss the Possession one.
Speaker 2: Great, Yes, yes you do. Terror Vision last Friday dropped their four K release of Happy Hell Night from nineteen ninety one. This is a Halloween filmed hollow that was not the word Halloween themed slasher from ninety one that is pretty damn good. This is Scannon restored in four K from the thirty five millimeter OCN. This is a two disc set with the four K and Blu Ray, both the region free. We've got Dolby Vision on the four we got a commentary with Amanda ray Is again and also Dan Budnick, her podcasting partner in crime, interview with Elis Sorry, Elvis Ristino, interview with Gay Bartolas, interview with Michael Nigrin, a full two K master presentation of the Code Red Blu Ray version that they put out years ago, and then brand new subtitles and some more extras on the way that we have not confirmed publicly yet. But you can pre order this now and this will be shipping with all of your thirteen weeks of Halloween stuff or November if you order it on your own. This movie's good. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 3: I have not. I hate that text, but other than that, I don't have an opinion on this.
Speaker 2: The font itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like it at all. It looks like you know, do you remember I don't even know what it was on, maybe like Microsoft Paint or whatever, but like those really old like word graphics. Yeah, yeah, it's like one of those. I don't like that, it's all. Maybe it's like just because it's like the digital like copy of it though obviously because it's like a format that they've just like put the cover on or whatever. I assume it looks better when you actually.
Speaker 2: Have it, like on Always the release, Yeah Always. Next up is Doozy. November twenty sixth Imprint is releasing a wild mix of four K Blu ray and VHS in one package in Australia of Silent Night Deadly Night Parts one and two. So we've got one of their as they like to use the words heavy bespoke packages. And this is twenty four by thirty two centimeters. Weighs in at one point five kilos and for those of you that are not British, one point five kilos. How many American pounds is that? Krit? Do you know offhand? No?
Speaker 3: I only know real units.
Speaker 2: Sorry, if I remember right, it's about four and a half pounds literally, which is a shit ton comparatively. This is gonna be a massive release. This is gonna have three full color matt laminated twenty seven by forty inch folded posters. That's just for the first movie. I believe we've got at least one for the second one. Yeah, a full twenty seven by forty for the second one. A reproduction of the full press kit eight replica lobby cards with original production stills. A reprint of issue number one of the Silent Night, Deadly Night comic adaptation. A three D lenticular hard case to hold all four discs. And this is only gonna be pressed once, of course. And let's see extras on this are all extras that you've seen before, nothing new whatsoever. Disc one and this is the theatrical cut of Silent Night, Deadly Night on four K. Disc two is the theatrical cut of Silent Night, Deadly Night on Blu Ray. Disc three is Silent Night, Deadly Knight unrated cut on Blu Ray. And so that's the only way you're getting the unrated cut, not on four K. And then Disc four is Silent Night, Deadly Night Part two theatrical cuts. And then there will also be a VHS of the first film. H dear god, that's a lot.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the fuck you want me to say about this is stupid.
Speaker 2: Anything about a full kilo and a half release of Silent.
Speaker 3: Good Night, it's it's it's it's less than necessary. I think, yeah, I think we could. We could do more than missing a DVD, for sure, need to add a DVD. I think full Posters is awkward. We might as well make it five.
Speaker 2: Well, it's three from one movie and one of the second movie. That's even more awkward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's right. I say we got three for the first, two for the second. Uh.
Speaker 2: And this is a quite pricey release for those of you in the US, which is very different currency than the Australian dollar right now, because Australian is quite more inflated than the US release. But you can pre order this right now from the US retailers that already have this up for one hundred and fifty three US dollars.
Speaker 3: Not worth how many fake dollars?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: Dingo dollars? How much is that?
Speaker 2: I think it's like three hundred dingo dollars.
Speaker 3: Jesus, Yeah, that currency is not real. What do you mean three hundred What kind of conversion is that?
Speaker 2: It just clicked? What we both just said? Oh sorry, it's two hundred and twenty dingo dollars and what they call it dingo dollar use.
Speaker 3: I don't know. The whole place is made up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they should have done with Snow what they did for Dune. That would have been a good release, says Gary. That would have been interesting. It wouldn't have been two hundred and twenty Australian interesting, but it would have been interesting. All right, let's carry on before we all die of shock. This is such a funny way to word this. Radiance over in the UK has an answered replacement program for the Betrayal with this ominous looking bright red the Betrayal disc replacement program message. You can find out what is going on by reading this message, or I can tell you right now. They found out their audio commentary just starts at the wrong point on the disc, and they're willing to give everybody a brand new disc because of it. They have stopped shipping the title so that they can replace it. If you ordered it elsewhere, you can email info at Radiancefilms dot co dot uk and they will send you out a brand new disc right.
Speaker 3: I didn't know this was for a movie call The Betrayal, so I felt like they was just announcing this as a betrayal like program, like they betrayed the audience in some kind of way. That's quite I guess they did. Yeah, that's call of them. I guess it's nice.
Speaker 2: Yes, here we go. Def Crocodile announced they're full details of the October slate. Finally, this is stuff that we've been hyping up for quite some time, and I'm so stoked to be able to see both of these. These are both shipping near the end of October, and the first is a double feature of Al Rane and The Student of Prague. These are from nineteen twenty seven and nineteen twenty six, and they are silent films, obviously based on when they were released. They are both by what is the guy's name? I can't remember at the momentum, I don't remember, and it's not listed there because I couldn't fit everything because there's so many extras on this. Craig, I know you love to hear that Conrad Vite Is that his name? Nope, that's the star. I have completely failed you. I'm sorry this is a crazy looking release. Though. Yeah, that's beautiful single case with two discs, says Craig. And yes, incredible artwork by Dave McKean. On here, We've got two films. The first one is one hundred and thirty one minutes. The second one is one hundred and thirty three. See. I read that title and I see it there, and I didn't think that was his name, but it is. Henrique Galen is the director of both of these extras. We got a new video interview with Stefan Drousler of the Film Museum Munchin about the preservation of al Rne and the Student of Prague that was moderated by Dennis. We got a new audio commentary by Jan Christopher Horak, the former director of the UCLA Film and TV Archive in the Film Museum Munchin. We've got a new audio commentary on the second title or no, he does both of those, that's right. Then We've got new artwork by Beth Morris on the standards of course, like she always does, and then Fidelity Emotion as usual did the authoring. We got a new eighty page book with newly translated essays by Hans Heinz Ewers, Henrik Galen, and Felix Panton Reprinted essays from nineteen twenty eight, nineteen twenty nine, and nineteen ninety three. New essay by Stefan Drousler, new essay by Walt Chah, new essay by Stephen Bassett. Just absolutely ridiculous. This is incredible reservoir. Fellow wants to know. Has Deaf Crocodile ever released an American movie? Yes, actually quite a few, especially the most famous ones is Bill Plimpton. Their Bill Plimpton stuff is quite nice.
Speaker 3: He also did Fast and Furious right, only part three? Right, it's the best one.
Speaker 2: Fine, not US though, I mean it's US production, but was filmed in Tokyo of course. Yeah, Oh, Solomon King, that's the other one. That's right. I'm still laughing at Tokyo Drip.
Speaker 3: If Deaf Crocodile put on Togyo Drift, I'll buy every copy you have. My word.
Speaker 2: You heard it here, Craig, you gotta print ten thousand, make him pay.
Speaker 3: I'll do an audio commentary for it.
Speaker 2: He's just gonna he's gonna do Foley work. This guy's going all right. So that's the first release. The second one is right, here. This is Norbert Foffenviickler's two five five one trilogy. These are from twenty twenty one, twenty twenty three, and twenty twenty five, and these are wild. This paragraph here is probably the best way to write this out, and so I normally probably wouldn't read this entire thing, but it's kind of necessary because I think Dennis wrote this, and he is a mad genius for some of this copy and a lot of it he's got like memorized. But he says, imagine mad muck, Mad Max run amuck in the Moodor Museum, a nightmarish, subterranean world of superstition, magic and deformity, ruled by fear and oppression, and peopled with a spine chilling assortment of mutants and masked monstrosities, including faceless stormtroopers, parasites, nude figures, taxidermied monkeys, alchemist and other horrors. Welcome to the Welcome to the Unearthly Visions of Austrian artist and director Norbert Foffenbickler's two five to five one trilogy, a staggering combination of avant garde cinema, post apocalyptic sci fi, horror, monster action, dystopian, political nightmare, silent cinema techniques. All three of these movies are told with that dialogue with very different color tinting, endless, subterranean Labyrinth, Shot and Abandoned, World War Two Bunkers and Vienna, Myriad, Grotesque, mask, industrial and death metal music, The Brothers Qui Sorry, The Brothers Quai and Jans Fanckmeyer and Joel Peter Vitken and David Lynch all mixed together. Definitely not for the faint of heart. This is experimental filmmaking for fans of Silent Hill, Hellboy to Eraserhead, Mad God and Bigotten, The Cure and Bauhaus and Metallica, Luca Libre and unbelievably Charlie Chaplin. In other words, it's like nothing you've ever seen or dreamt of before.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a Nights in Florida. This sounds great. Never had of any of this shit, but it actually sounds really fucking sick.
Speaker 2: Gary is saying nothing to matters much, but does actually have a narrative or is it just a bunch of weird stuff? It genuinely does have a narrative.
Speaker 3: Actually, is I like that? Less?
Speaker 2: Well? It is a narrative told through very experimental filmmaking. Very good, very good. The art on this is remarkable. As usual, def Crocodile always has some of the best art. Here is the standard art on this one. Now for the extras on this, this is a four disc set for three films. They had to like really start to take a look at what they could even accept for this release because the discs were getting so damn full. This is a wonderful, wonderful release. And if you're even remotely skeptical, that's not a word skeptical about buying this. I would watch the trailer that they released for this because it is quite good. So on this we've got seven experimental short films by the director. We've got four new video interviews. We've got uh, let's see new interview with Foffen Bickler discussing his avant garde films. We've got a new visual essay by me and doctor Will Dotson on the first film two five one point zero. It's it's it's really fun. We talk about the Charlie Chaplin influences quite a bit. There is a visual essay by Stephen Brumer, who is the experimental filmmaker out of Canada that works on Black Zero, the Experimental Film label. He's like the voice to talk about these films, so I'm so glad that he's involved in this. We've got new commentaries by Sheila Rowan legg by e Eva litt or No I Believe and Golden, and then Mike White from the Projection Booth podcast. There's a featurette on Jam of the Dan behind the scenes of two five five to one point zero three. There's some bts like visual effects reels. There's deleted scenes, soundtrack scores, three new trailers, all kinds of stuff. I probably even missed one putting it on here. And in fact, I think there's another visual essay from another filmmaker that I don't see listed. So yeah, I probably just did not have enough space and I skipped it. Sorry, Craig, let's see Dingo Boy says two five to five one trilogy is not a rom com. Well, I mean, in a couple scenes it gets never mind, I've said too much. Yeah, this is a crazy month for deaf Crocodile highly recommend checking both of these out. The big thing Craig is reminding me to bring up that the painting the original painting for this box art is going to be on sale on the de Crocodile website next Friday. It is it's pricey because JG. Jones is an acclaimed comic book artist, but he usually charges five thousand plus dollars for the painting and it's a pretty big painting too. He's he's charging about half price, so this will be two five, five to one dollars on the Deaf Crocodile website. Nice little tongue in cheek total there, and I love it. We're gonna be talking about that next week because it'll go up on sale. But if you're super into original art and you love this stuff, this will be on the Deaf Crocodile website to purchase next Friday for one lucky individual. It's it's the original painting itself, signed by JG. Jones. And that's audio.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you have you checked anything out from Death Crocodile? Probably not yet.
Speaker 3: Nope. I didn't mean for that to sound so dismissive. It's just usually they put out stuff I've never even heard of, and you're in the UK. It's it's I'm in the UK, which is, yeah, a bigger problem but this is probably the thing that they've put out that I'm the most interested in. Also, there was like something they put out a while ago and I keep the meaning to like circle back to it, and I can't remember what it is, but I feel like it was like an Irish folk horror.
Speaker 2: Uh, the Outcasts? That's it?
Speaker 3: Yes, it was that, which a beautiful movie too as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll talk about that after. I'll tell you about The Outcast's. It's a great one and I think everybody should see. It's so good. Hey, I mentioned that I saw him this weekend. I did not like it, But if you're into it, there's a four K steal book up that you can pre order now. It'll also get a standard four K, a Blu ray, and a DVD. Those are all coming from Universal. We don't have a release date yet, but here it is. Did this interest you at all? Did you see the trailer? Did you see it?
Speaker 3: I saw the trailer and I was like, Okay, I think this movie is really highlighted that people don't know generally the distinction between a producer and a.
Speaker 2: Director, or that the studio itself is trying to con people into it though too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw like so many people going like, what is Jordan Peele doing?
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Jordan Peele fell off, And I'm like, Jordan Peele didn't make this movie.
Speaker 2: But he is everywhere in the marketing, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: I will say, though, it must suck to be Jordan Peel because he wanted to get weapons and he couldn't get it, and he ended up getting this instead, which might be the worst trade in history for releases.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty bad trade, I gotta be honest. Wow, all right, so that is him. Next up over in the UK again screen Bound Pictures on November seventeenth, releasing a four K of Renaissance from two thousand and six. This is a movie that I had somehow never heard of, Sharks of quite a bit younger Daniel Craig. Yeah, limit did to a thousand copies, got a double sided posters and behind the scenes b roll featurette stuff like that. Yeah. I don't know anything about this movie and you were supposed to be the expert here create what happened.
Speaker 3: I don't like UK movies, that's.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I'm just listening even heard of it.
Speaker 2: I don't know what this is KB is asking what's an no card? That is the fancy way of saying slipcover, just to make everybody that only collects slipcovers go ooh, I need one of those.
Speaker 3: Brilliant Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hey. Another four K release coming from screen Bound on November three is Boston Kickout from two thousand, Yet another one that I have not seen. And we got multiple commentaries on this one with the brand new one with Mark Warren, some deleted scenes, making up storyboards, all that interesting stuff. This starring of very young Andrew Lincoln. So krit is very excited about another British.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have no idea what this is either. I didn't even know Andrew Lincoln was British until I was like seventeen, so that.
Speaker 2: Was like nine months ago.
Speaker 3: I'm an old man now, Ryan.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I watched Love actually when I was like seventeen eighteen, and I was like, ah, the guy from the Walking Dad's English. That's so fucking weird. But yeah, I've never never heard of this. I'm sure it's okay.
Speaker 2: I love that. Everybody in my generation was like, whoa, the guy from Love actually is doing it? Horror, how the turntables. Let's keep going, well, go USA on November eleventh, is releasing a blu ray of the brand new Scott Atkins film, which is supposedly pretty great, called Prisoner of War from this year. Are you a Scott Atkins guy.
Speaker 3: I'm not a massive Scott Atkins guy, but what I have seen, I have generally liked that just none of it has like stood out as like amazing. It's all just kind of stood outs as pretty good.
Speaker 2: You don't historically talk a lot about martial arts, so that's uh, I was curious about that.
Speaker 3: Actually, I am a big martial arts movie guy.
Speaker 2: Not a ton of the visual essays as well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and because I'm gonna get killed for this. But generally there's not a lot of interesting things to say. Yeah, Like, you know, I Bruce Lee movies. I love Bruce Lee movies and all Jackie Chan movies, Michelle Yo, and I love like the whole Woosha sub genre and stuff, But like, there's not a lot to say about most of them. What you can say about like five minutes of that movie can apply to the entire movie. So no, it's it's hard to talk about them. But I did talk about Enter the Dragon in my top one hundred video, which is no longer in my top one hundred anyway, but still the way the Dragon is though, So they're still a Bruce Lee movie in there.
Speaker 2: Good movies, good movies. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Next, we got a batch of announcements that lit the internet on.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's like so early, I've not figured out the filter thing yet, you know.
Speaker 2: It's so funny though, Oh man, you're like somebody in Kent without their chips inside joke. That was terrible. Sandpiper Pictures putting out re releases of a bunch of stuff released by other labels previously with no changes, exact same discs with new cover art. I'm glad they're going to be in print, but don't get very excited about these releases. They're not going to be high quality or anything.
Speaker 3: We don't worry. Don't worry. I'm not jumping out my state for Monikin. I'm Blair R. I don't worry.
Speaker 2: But a lot of people are, genuinely, a lot of people were very excited about this. To be fair, you did just stand up out of your seat. So Mannikin for eighty seven is the first one getting a release. All of these are coming on December second. By the way, next title is Zapped that has not aged nearly as well as Scott Bao, which he aged terribly. So yeah, that tells you a lot. No, they chose this actively to sell it. I guarantee it. Yeah, this is not a great movie. Next up Dirty Work. Even though Vinder Syndrome put out oh yeah, literal definition of the best that you could possibly release for Dirty Work this year, they said, you know what, let's release the theatrical cut on Blu ray again.
Speaker 3: This is the one I'm getting.
Speaker 2: Oh fun, what is this? Uh yeah. Then they're putting out Stage Coach. No, not that stage Coach, the other one. Oh also not that stage Coach. No, this is the one from nineteen eighty six, the third of the stage Coach films, and uh, Chris, Yeah, it's a it's a wonderful cast. You got Willie Nelson, Johnny cash Waylon Jennings. Yeah, check it out. All coming on December tewod. Like I said, they're also putting out Stephen King sometimes they come back from nineteen ninety one on Blu ray yet again, and then Undercover Blues from nineteen ninety three one with Kathleen Turner, Dennis Quai, but the big one. I have not seen one of my posts on Facebook pop off like this one has popped off in a long time. They are putting out Robert Townsend's The meteor Man from nineteen ninety three, the highlight quote, question mark quote of the black superhero craze of the Kazam and Steel days. You get the meteor Man. This is a big deal for some people. To be fair, this has been going for over one hundred dollars on eBay. To be able to get this on Blu Ray for retail price is a real wonderful thing. I'm glad this is coming out. I just wish they had a better, better release of this coming. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know what is medium on.
Speaker 2: I don't care, all right, I am done with Sampiper. These are these are not great?
Speaker 3: Whoa some pipe up.
Speaker 2: Eighty eight Films has delayed surprised their Heart of Dragon four K release in the UK from September twenty ninth to October twenty seventh, as they usually do. Eighty eight Films is rarely on time, but hey, they've been doing good stuff this year, so can't really complain too much.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just picked up Pocasa con complaint.
Speaker 2: True, true, but things we can complain about that are happing over in the UK. November tenth, they are releasing, not they eighty eight films. They Studio Canal releasing a four K A blu ray and DVD release of the New Avengers series one and two from nineteen seventy six and seventy seven. To be fair, the art on these look wonderful because they're done by the amazing Sam Smith. But these are obnoxiously overpriced for a four K release of this. You can see this, It is ten discs. Did you see how much this is going for? I did not on the UK. You should go look that up right now, krit and tell me if you would pay that much at a new event you'r Series one and two on four K four K.
Speaker 3: The one hundred and fifty pounds Great British pounds.
Speaker 2: One hundred and fifty GBP is what this is going for. That is a lot of money.
Speaker 3: That is not okay. It's just not okay. Not to mention, by the way, it's not even comic accurate. Look at it.
Speaker 2: That took me a second. Oh that was pretty funny. Yeah, So this is this is a lot, and they do have extras on literally everything. I'm glad that these are going to be loaded releases, and I think Imprint likely will be doing something with this. It will be much cheaper because it's Imprint, sadly, but that being said, this is very pricey for a set like this, and I fear that Studio Canal is gonna lose a lot of money on this one. God that's three one hundred and six Australian dollar US.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, it's made up, so it doesn't really count, right, They just make up a number for anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a lot. Yeah, this is this is a big deal. Studio Canal like this set looks wonderful. It doesn't look one hundred and fifty pounds wonderful. No, all right, Hey. On November seventeenth in the UK, November eighteenth in the US, we are getting a four k of Out of Africa from nineteen eighty five, Rest in Peace to Robert Redford. Is this one that you've seen before?
Speaker 3: Krit No, I just it troubles me. I have no idea what this is. I've never seen it, but the title and the two stars is breaking me out alone. So I'm gonna withhold judgment until I find out what the fuck this is about.
Speaker 2: I'd normally ask you to expand on that, but instead I will read you the synopsis. Exquisite intelligent romantic drama based on the life of Karen Blixen or Blixen, was the most highly acclaimed film of his this time directed by Sidney Pollock. The film brilliantly captures time and place, with super performances by Meryl Street, Robert Redford and Brandour, sumptuous photography, and a rich musical score. Out of Africa follows the true life story of Karen Blixen, an amazingly strong willed woman who moves from Denmark to run a coffee plantation with her philandering husband in Kenya around nineteen fourteen. To her astonishment, she soon discovers herself falling in love with the land, it's people, and a mysterious adventurer and idealist. Does that help you feel better about it?
Speaker 3: A little bit? Sure? Woll not? Fuck it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Interesting?
Speaker 2: Yes, you got a commentary by Ciddy Pollock on it. And there's a making of documentary some deleted scenes in the trailer. Big, big time score on this one. John Barry, well known for this and uh yeah, it's a huge cast, big director, good movie. Here we go. Next up Kenot putting out the Gracie Allen murder Case from nineteen thirty nine. This is gonna have a new audio commentary by Bernie procop and some subtitles, and that is it. M yeah, know nothing about this one. Carrying right along, Eden from this year is getting a Blu ray release in the US on November eleventh from Vertical Entertainment, no extras, as far as I can tell, did you get to Eden yet?
Speaker 3: I did get to see Eden?
Speaker 2: And how did you feel about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all right, It's cool, like it's it's it. It's got good performances, it's got an interesting backstory met like know about these actual people. But then I can't forgot everything that happened after a week.
Speaker 2: I will say I went into this expecting to hate it, and I was pleasantly surprised. Like, if you look at it, I've been calling it a camp soap opera film. On that level, it is quite enjoyable. It's full of drama, it's full of Anidoramus screaming, it's full of melodramatic acting. It's not a bad story and it's inspired by a shockingly true story. If you get out like me and you're like, oh, I want to find out what actually happened, and you go, oh no, they pretty much just told the actual story. Oh my god, I'm horrified. Yeah, it's a pretty crazy one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wanted to see how accurate it was, so I was like, oh, is there like a YouTube video about this? And the only one I could find is like two and a half hours. So I was like, I don't care enough. The movie's fun enough. I guess it was almost too and FLF Yeah, I'll take its word for it.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Sydney Sweeney and the Eden, December first, the UK is getting a Blu ray of the Sweeney series three Yeah, nineteen seventy six, shocking, quite immaculate looking reference to her filmography. We've got restoration behind the scenes that you can check out on YouTube that I linked here. I watch this for a here and that's pretty interesting. Actually, The Sweeney supposedly looks really great on Blu Ray. If you're into it, check it out now. This has been a really funny post to see people respond to This week. Goooby Doo on Zombie Island is getting another Blu ray release from Warner Brothers on October twenty eighth. It got one last year, but it was packaged with the sequel, and everybody seemingly said, I don't want that shit in my house, the sea garbage. I'm not both the Island and now they're putting this out and it's got the brand new Terror Time Edition. It's going to have a O card slip cover that is a reference for KB there. It is an O card. It's gonna have a clear Blu ray case for everybody that loves the clear ones. It's gonna have interior artwork. It's gonna have a chapter list inside. Oh yeah, they're listing those a special feature. So it's really funny. There's an audio commentary by Scooby historian Matt Dugan.
Speaker 3: He sounds like a Scooby Doo historian, doesn't he.
Speaker 2: Matt Dougan. Twelve page collectible booklet with the images and essay written by Matt Dugan, of course, And it's got this limited packaging. And then I laughed so hard. They are listing as a special feature it's Terror Time Again plays on the disc.
Speaker 3: Menu special Is it not a feature.
Speaker 2: That being said, this thing popped off when I posted this. Oh my god, people share this, yeah easy, Lots of people are buying this on Amazon. You can check it out. What's funny is this cost more than the one that came with the sequel, and people are buying this in droves. So check out Scooby Doo on Zombie Island if you've never seen it. It's amazing. Traumatize your kids with it. It's very good.
Speaker 3: I get I will pay more to not have this sequel.
Speaker 2: I got that exact comment, I think ninety one times. Yeah. Uh man. There's a lot of UK stuff tonight for you. November tenth, there is a blu ray from Kaleidoscope Entertainment in the UK coming of Irvine Welsh. Reality is not enough from twenty twenty five. Do you know anything about this person? Because when I saw this picture I thought that was Tobin Bell. I have no idea that man is so. Irvine Welsh is at a crossroads. After experiencing the huge success of several film adaptations and six million books sold worldwide, he must be an author. He has become acutely aware of his own mortality. Now with this hedonistic Day's drawing to a close, the outspoken author decides to explore the boundaries of consciousness through a psychedelic DMT trip. Basically, let's watch this guy get super high and talk about it.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny because he's old. I think it works better because he's old.
Speaker 2: He's the train spotting author. Hello. Oh. He also wrote helth as well.
Speaker 3: Never really I watched the adaptation of felf though.
Speaker 2: That checks out Next up October twenty eighth. We got a blu ray coming in the US from music Box. A familiar touch from last year that I had some people that I know that saw this and said it was quite good. This is going to have a roundtable cast conversation presented by Carrying across generations. There's a creative process featurette a conversation with Sarah Friedland Q and a with Kenley Kathleen Chalfont from Jacob Burns Film Center. There's behind the scenes image gallery, all that stuff. This one will not be released through Ocen. Music Box just releasing this outside of that model. Yeah, familiar touch, check it out? You an anime person.
Speaker 3: Crit No, not at all real.
Speaker 2: I have never even heard of this one show.
Speaker 3: Sorry, that was me, I'll tell you that box six.
Speaker 2: People in the chat are commented. December ninth, Sentai Filmworks is releasing Azumonga Dio Complete Collection. I probably said that incorrectly. This will have English and Japanese language versions with the English subtitles, and there's gonna be a couple extras because they're doing the clean opening animation and clean closing animation and some production sketches.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: Sure. Next up the Barbarians getting an identical release from Keno Lorber that they just put out a couple of years ago. I say, a couple it's been since December first of twenty twenty, but this is coming out on November twenty fifth. It'll have a slipcover. I think that's new. But other than that, good movie, you should check it out, like this one is.
Speaker 3: Actually very very fun, Okay, I'm in sure.
Speaker 2: Stars the Barbari brothers and Michael Berryman from the original Hills Have Eyes.
Speaker 3: I say that that's what sold me.
Speaker 2: More britishisms. Tonight December ninth, there's a blu ray coming here in the US from Magnolia of Rabbit Trap from this year being British. Have you seen Rabbit Trap yet?
Speaker 3: Never even heard of it. So.
Speaker 2: Rabbit Trap is a film starring Dev Patel, who is a musician with his I believe it's yeah, it is his wife. They're brand newly married and they're out in the middle of nowhere, maybe near Kent, without their chips and they are they're making music in this r random ass British cottage. It's the nineteen seventies, I think was what they say in the film. And it's basically like an experimental horror film of them kind of losing it. There's a young person that shows up at their door. Weird things start to happen. There's a couple weird scenes of like people bleeding yellow, like bright yellow, like almost gold blood. It's an interesting movie. I don't think it worked for me, but I'm not upset having seen it. I'm also stoked to have been able to see this in a theater, I will say though, because this is based around music and like walking through the English countryside. The sound in this is superb. If you do get a chance, watch this very loud. The sound design on this is amazing and depthtel He's kind of incredible and everything.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, of course, yeah, this didn't get a theatrical release. Name me, that's too bad.
Speaker 2: Maybe eventually this looks truly awful. You can buy this now on Blu Ray. It's a BDR unfortunately or fortunately of Mutilator two from twenty twenty three. This is a quasi sequel to the original one, and it's supposedly just one of the worst absolute dogwater films of all time. If this cover art doesn't convince you, this is the actual back of the Blu ray, well now I must own it. They're charging like twenty five dollars.
Speaker 3: I love the screenshot of the copyright m that's so funny. That's that's like it's like one of the screenshots I put into like a video. That's it's awful.
Speaker 2: Oh that's really funny. Yep, yeah, this is uh, Paul says, imagine Imprint doing a Mutilator to Despocus set. Oh geez, yeah, this is this is not a good looking set. I see what silent manipals saying. Why does small lady grab onto big hair. It looks like she's hugging a microscopic strand.
Speaker 3: Of a little vocal. I love just the like keying out like it's not even been done all the way it's yeah, terrible.
Speaker 2: It's it's not great looking. I didn't know Pizzel had a cameo Reggie. That's interesting, So yeah, mutilator to check it out if you're into some sadism or masochism, not sadism masochism. Speaking of bespoke sets, from Imprints, December tenth, they are releasing a giant set for Kill Bill Volumes one and two. Again they're using the words this is a heavy bespoke collector's item, twenty four by thirty two centimeters ways in at one point five kilograms, including a full color matt laminated twenty seven by four twenty seven by four to three folded reprint of both theatrical one sheets and the theatrical posters for both films. That's a lot. A large format color photo booklet featuring original production stills, six large format lobby cards with original production stills, two hard cases housing all four of the discs, and zero new extras. Nothing whatsoever that's.
Speaker 3: New for solid mandible. That's about ten bananas.
Speaker 2: And we were talking earlier about price. Obviously, the Silent Night Deadly Night is very expensive at two hundred and twenty. I don't even remember the currency we made up, but DOLLARUS the kill Bill two hundred Australian DOLLARUS, and that's still a lot.
Speaker 3: It's too much. It is too much, Yes, absolutely, it's fall too much. There is I promise you there is not a single release of any movie that you could ever possibly put out that would make me pay that much.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing, like, this has never had a four K release in Australia, so I'm glad it's coming out. However, it is cheaper to literally import the US four ks than to buy this set.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous. I'm all right, it's so silly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Lots of questions, of course about why isn't this the whole Bloody Affair? Why isn't this the Japanese cut of Kill Bill Volume one? Just so everybody's aware if you're listening to this, watching this later. Quentin Tarantino has stated until he gets the rights back, that will never be released. He wants it to be an event thing at his theater, and the rights do not go back to him until the year twenty fifty three. We will not be getting an actual legitimate home video release of The Whole Bloody Affair from both Kill Bill films until at least twenty fifty three. Good Yeah, here we go, more britishisms. Good lord. November twenty fifth, We're getting a four K box set from Kena Larber of the Alec Guinness Masterpiece collection. This has kind hearts and coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man in the White Suit, and The Lady Killers for Stone Cold Classics. Specifically, The Lady Killers is genuinely a masterpiece. Glad these are all coming out in a full release. All of these have extras, All of these have great looking releases. These do have Dolby Vision and HDR Bowl both. Both the cases on these are gonna have two discs each. Looks like an absolutely wonderful set. Yeah, any any thoughts on on the set or else.
Speaker 3: It's missing a new hope. But I have seen The Lady Killers and yeah, it's a great movie, is brilliant. It's a shame that his his memory is one of just the Star Wars guy. Yeah, you know that stinks. It's kind of like, you know, when any Harry Potter actor dies, it's just like, oh yeah, Harry Potter actor Maggie Smith, right, and you're like, what the what the.
Speaker 2: Fuck are you talking about she's only ever made eight movies.
Speaker 3: It's so stupid, and yeah, it's a shame. So I'm glad this is doing a little bit like kind of rebutta.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh, and only one of these had had a four K release in the US before, so this is this is a really good chance to pick up all of these. Actually, uh, umbrella. They announced a lot of stuff, So January fourteenth are the release dates for these. The first one we have is the Toxbox. This includes the Toxic Avenger from eighty four, Toxic Avenger Part two, The Toxic Avenger Part three, Citizen Toxic, the Toxic Avenger Part four, and the Toxic Avenger from twenty twenty three. We've got a forty eight pach booklet, a behind the scenes material and new essays by Jack Sargent and David Michael Brown, eight art card, three reversible posters. It is a limited edition numbered release if you get the Big Box. The first four films don't have any new extras. The brand new movie in this one has a new commentary with Making Blair, new interview with Making Blair. They got the unrated and radioactive Comic Con International featurette Behind the scenes, extended Toxic Environment FEATURETTE, Meet the Cast FEATURETTE, Toxic Crusaders FEATURETTE, and a brand new trailer, and that is it. Yes, our special feature that we did for the new Toxic Avenger is not on this one yet, but I am talking to Umbrella and trying to get it in there so we shall see. Toxic Shock might be a part of it eventually. Still working on it. Toxic Adventure. Are are you a toxi guy at all? I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm excited for the new one. It was in my theaters, I believe, but it was like for like two days, so I didn't even know until it was like too late.
Speaker 2: But I want to be. I want to be.
Speaker 3: I've you know, I've seen the source material, but I've never actually seen the old movies.
Speaker 2: So it's pretty it's pretty fun, very non PC, but in a in a campy fun way for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm done, So.
Speaker 2: Check that out. January fourteenth, we're already getting twenty twenty six announcements. Holy shit. January fourteenth, they're also doing the Infernal Affairs trilogy on four K. This is a this is a big title for them. I'm glad they're putting us out. This is going to be a solid release. This will have a forty eight page book behind the scenes material with new essays by Andrews, Jonathan Clements, and Grady Hendrix. Grady, of course one of the authors behind these fist break bricks. We've got a custom illustrated rigid case and disc wallet, eight art cards, two reversible posters, and it's a limited edition, numbered release. We've got a new commentary with Pierce Conran and James marsh on the first film and the second film and the third film. New interview with Andy Lao and Alan Mack on the second film and the third film. We've got a couple other things, like James Belmont on the many double identities of the Infernal Affairs trilogy. These are classic, amazing movies. This is the These are the movies that Tarantino stole from to make The Departed, and it shows they are Uarantine similar. Yeah, did I not say Tarantino?
Speaker 3: Tarantino didn't make The Departed?
Speaker 2: Whoops?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's school saying, are you okay?
Speaker 2: I literally was wearing a PERSESEI shirt earlier, he said confidently.
Speaker 3: I started to question whether I knew what I knew my bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's what inspired Scorsese. Wow. Yeah, I was thinking about Tarantino still because we just talked about him My Bad. Yeah, clearly Scorsese whoops. Yeah. But these are very very good movies. If you've never seen them, they're absolutely worth it. My brain broke. That's so good.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can see where it comes from because Tarantino basically steals for all of his movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, it's literally just because we were just talking about him. Next, I mentioned KII Cult earlier. This is the volume two coming out. We got The Scarecrow from nineteen eighty two, We've got Jack Bi Nimble from nineteen ninety three, and we've got Crooked Earth from two thousand and one. Three films that I've not seen, although Jack be Nimble I did see. I think it was Altered Innocence released that a couple of years ago. I think it was them that put it out. I love the art style on these sets and again refilms that like hardly anybody has seen whatsoever. We got new extras on all of them, forty eight page booklet with new essays behind the scenes. These are really cool of consetts. Check it out cash Back from two thousand and six. Another one coming from Umbrella. This is also coming on January fourteenth. This one only Blu Ray have you seen this one? I've never I don't think I've ever even heard of this.
Speaker 3: No, I've never heard of this. It looks stope though. I really like the artwork.
Speaker 2: Yes, some interesting art on this one. This is from Sam Ellis, who also did the cut. This follows art student Ben Willis, who finds himself unable to sleep after a painful breakup. To pass the long nights, he takes a late shift at the local supermarket, where time seems to stretch endlessly amid fluorescent aisles and eccentric coworkers. Ben discovers an unusual way of coping with insomnia by letting his imagination transform the ordinary into something extraordinary. This is going to be a collector set with eight art cards, reversible poster, all that same stuff, forty eight page book with buying the scenes. New essays by Alexander Heller Nicholas and David Michael Brown. New audio commentary with the Wives Colangelo, New audio guide, cash Back inspired short film by Chris Elena. Chris Elena speaks on the movie, and then we've got some archival extras. I want to see this, I would realize to see if this is cool.
Speaker 3: I have the concept too.
Speaker 2: I'm in reservoir, says middle school me. Love this movie because of a certain timestop scene. Let's see Mozart said, I remember this had a really popular song, cash Back is pretty great. The lead actress has so much chrisma in this movie. Nice cash Back sounds good. It's about a guy who can freeze time and as I recall, used that to disrupte women, hence the cover of the Blu Ray. Then that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: There's a whole own genre about that.
Speaker 2: Now that's crazy has officially purchased the Blu Ray while we were talking. Next up, January fourteenth, we're getting a Blu Ray release of Tourist Trap. Yes, Tourist Trap, d Moon film from nineteen seventy nine getting yet another release. This will have the unrated cut and the alternate cut. Unfortunately, this will likely be the same presentation as done by Full Moon, which means it probably won't look all that amazing. It's just sort of what they can license. Right now. That being said, I I'm not a huge full Moon Guy. I think this is the best title associated with Full Moon. I adore this movie. Chuck Connors is creepy as shit in this movie. Fourty eight page book behind the scenes and new essays by Justin Beam and Nat Bramer. You've got the big collector's box on the outside. You've got eight art cards, versabile poster. New commentary by Natt Bramer. New interview with the actor Jocelyn Jones, New interview with the actor Jerry van Ness, New lost scenes from script to Screen. Jarrett Gahan speaks on Tourist Trap, and then from r Kival extras. I love this movie. If you've never seen it, highly recommend checking it out. Have you seen Tourist Trap ever?
Speaker 3: I have not, but it looks really fucking sick. I really like the artwork for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fun art style. They're doing this for all of their Full Moon type of films, so it's nice to see it continue even though it's not part of one of their Full Moon box sets.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm like off work all next week and I was going to use that to catch up in a lot of movies. I've added Tourist Trapping cash back to like my little.
Speaker 2: List, Nice, very nice. Then January fourteenth, they're also releasing a blu ray of Wasabi from two thousand and one. I remember this movie being terrible, but it's been a long time, This says when a hard hitting French detective played by Jean Renau has dropped into Tokyo for the funeral of his long lost love. He brings fists, attitude and zero patients, but in a city where nothing is what it seems, he'll need more than brute force to uncover the truth. You got a forty eight page book on this, with new essays by Adrian Smith and Kieran Fisher. I got a hard box on the outside, new audio commentary by Camille Zorin, and then a new on Japan through with Sabi by Martin Catario, plus a bunch of archival extras. It's been a long time since I've seen with Sabi any thoughts of the chat. This doesn't seem like one KRIT has seen now. I gotta admit this poster does not instill much more confidence for me. Apasta sucks, silent manial says I love genre. No, I'm sad he's only in like two good movies that I've seen Reservoir says I miss the genre. No, yeah, I dick my pist everywhere. Let's a good comment, yeah with Sabby. Check it out if that's something you're into. And if you already have the four K box set of the Toxic Avenger films that was released in the US by Trauma, you can just buy the new one from Umbrella as the Collector's edition with all their exclusive extras and all that stuff. Good looking art on this. It's not fancy or huge or anything like that. It's much cheaper than that giant box. And also, if you've already got the Trauma release of the four K box that it's not worth it to rebte it because they're all the same discs, so you may as well just buy this one to compliment it. And that's nice, works nice. Eureka over in the UK once again has posted their announcements and we've got on December eighth, we've got a blu ray coming of Apache from nineteen fifty four starring Burt Lancaster. This is part of their Masters of Cinema line. This one is going to have a slipcover on it. And you've got Western scholar Jenny Barrett and the film writer Richard Combs speaks on this in the booklet You've Got a New Interview with Austin Fisher, the author of Radical Frontiers in the Spaghetti Western New interview with film historian Sheldon Hall on Robert Aldrich and the Western genre. And yeah, apatche, I've never seen this one. Not really my style. You and I have never talked much about westerns. Are you into this? Uh?
Speaker 3: Not really. I'm not a big western guy. But also I've not seen many westerns. I've seen like the spaghetti Westerns and a coroup of modern westerns, but like, yeah, not really. I have seen Apatri though, Oh interesting. What do you think my dad shouted me at when I was like, I don't know, ten eleven something like.
Speaker 2: That, remember it much? Since that was only like four years ago.
Speaker 3: I don't remember fucking anything about it. I do know that Charles Bronson's in it though, from the greatest scale and stuff, but that's pretty much.
Speaker 2: I like, no, all right, not too bad.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 2: Then they're also putting out a triple feature of Samo Hung films. This is coming on December eighth in the UK, December ninth in the North America. We've got in here three films from seventy four, eighty eight and ninety and they are The Manchu Boxer to Sorry, Paper Marriage? Which one? Is it? The Manchoo Boxer to start them? That's not the title, The Manchu Boxer, Paper Marriage and Shanghai Shanghai. Those are I could not read what I typed early this morning. We've got on this a slip cover with new arwork by Sam Gilby, a new writing on Samoe Hung that is in the booklet. You've got an exclusive disc to this release which has the the what is what are they calling it here?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Where did it go? Bonus disc exclusive to this set only presentations from Brandy two K restorations of the extended international versions of Manchu Boxer and Shanghai Shanghai. So if you want those international versions, you got to buy the limited release, otherwise you're only going to get that first disc in the standard version. Eventually, we got a new commentary with Frank Chang and Michael Worth on The Manchu Boxer, New commentary on Paper Marriage with Arnavenma and Domini Ting, New commentary on Shanghai Shanghai with Frank Chang and F. J. DeSanto and then a new interview with Alfred Chung. And this looks like a solid release, although I've heard the movies aren't too great. Have you seen any of these ones?
Speaker 3: No, I've heard of Shaghai Shanghai. Well, I've not seen any of them.
Speaker 2: All right, what about Sama Hung? I know you talked about martial arts into Sama Hung.
Speaker 3: Much Not really No, A bit underexposed dot com like comment too much.
Speaker 2: Either way, I totally get that. I've liked what I've seen him in. I think he's fun, He's a decent fight choreographer. Yeah. Quina Larber launched their fall sale just today, seven hundred and fifty titles on sale. Sale goes through October twentieth, and there is free shipping if you get at least sixty bucks or more. And this feels like a long time coming. I feel like the last Keno sale was gosh, something like May or June, and that feels like a very long time in between stuff for them. Not some of the titles that I was expecting to see in the sale, but still plenty to choose from, lots of great titles. My big reminder is when you go to this and you see either a couple things that you're into, or maybe you're under the free shipping threshold. Don't forget, it's not just the sale. They've got their wild supplies last section where stuff is going out of print, and all of that stuff is on sale too. You can get stuff like if you're, you know, four dollars under the free shipping threshold, there's movies going out of print, and you're probably gonna find one that's only like seven bucks and that'll get you right over that threshold.
Speaker 3: This graphic is hilarious.
Speaker 2: It's a weird one to make the cornerstone of your sale.
Speaker 3: Like, sure, why is I don't know why the twenty five is like underneath? Why wouldn't you just like make I guess like if the hull text like spread across the whole image, it would work.
Speaker 2: Well, it doesn't frame, it's to frame it. Maybe maybe I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's a weird graphic anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not perfect. Anaconda from nineteen ninety seven is getting a four K steel book by Sony themselves, which means it will look very good. This will also probably be pretty expensive. It is going to have deleted and extended scenes for the first time. Ever, there's gonna be an interview with the director on here, interview with the co writer Hans Bauer. Now, the big thing, how do you feel about the cover of the steel Book.
Speaker 3: I don't fill anything.
Speaker 2: A lot of people seemed quite happy with it. A lot of people also seem quite sad or upset about it. My big thing is, uh, snakes don't have eyelids. That is not the eye of a snake on the cover of this.
Speaker 3: Interesting. I didn't even think of that. Yeah, it's like a gek.
Speaker 2: I was. Yes, I believe it is a gecko that is not at all an anaconda, let alone any snake. I don't think this is a very weird choice to make the cover of a steel book for anaconda.
Speaker 3: Well, so, like, they have tons of artwork ority present for this movie. Yes, they could have just used any of it.
Speaker 2: You could have just used the original poster and we've all have been very happy.
Speaker 3: And nobody would have been upset. Yeah. I don't think there's a single fun of anaconda thinking where's the original designs? Designs? Like you're a fan of anaconda, which means that you don't care too much about how shit looks.
Speaker 2: It does look like a crocodile eye a bit, and yeah, silent Mandible's right, he says. The snake in the movie did have a weird design, but I mean, come on, at least use a snake eye on the cover, hey, In the newest British News over in the UK, Paramount is releasing on December twod a big collector's edition of The Warriors from nineteen seventy nine. Yes, they let Arrow release The Warriors on four K in the US, but they said, no, screw you, We're doing it ourselves in the UK. And you can buy the set and get a rigid slipcase. You can get a capacity wallet. I don't know what that means. You can get a photo book, six art cards, two posters, two sticker sheets, and a collectible sign because everybody that is after The Warriors wants a collectible sign, right obviously. So my look at the back of this to get the specs. It looks like the four k's the theatrical version, and the blu ray is the awful director's cut that nobody likes, which isn't even the director's cut. The studio medaled with it. But that to say, if you like The Warriors and you don't have the arrow release. This is a perfectly fine companion. It looks like, how do you feel about The Warriors?
Speaker 3: Never seen it? I don't watch it on principle because everyone I've ever met has been the most annoying person in the world when you tell them you haven't seen The Warriors. So I just refuse to watch it because I don't want to be one of those people.
Speaker 2: That is maybe the most hipster thing I've ever heard. You say, Yeah, it's pretty pretty hipster.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll get to it one day and just keep pretending like I haven't seen it, But.
Speaker 2: Can I just say it would be hilarious if you held on for that long, watched it and you're like, shit, this movie is perfect.
Speaker 3: No, and I'll turn it into one of those people. I'm kind of a film person, am I I'm a Denzel kind of question. If it's not Denzel, I haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to find an answer real quick on something. One second, there is a brand new book that just came out there it is It's called Armies of the Night, The Warriors and Its Legacy by Michael Gingold and Chris Paggiali. Everybody should check that out. It looks like a really solid book and would be a nice companion piece with this. If you have not checked it out, moving you know what, I'm going to share that link in case anybody is into it, because it still has the cardcover of version available on Amazon. Next up is another UK thing November twenty first, there is a four K release, a Blu ray and two CD release and a vinyl release coming of def Leopard Diamond Star Heroes Live from Sheffield from twenty twenty three. You're a giant def Leopard fan.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, man, fucking Anne Sheffield. I guess.
Speaker 2: How far from Kent?
Speaker 3: Is that quite far?
Speaker 2: It's too bad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I say quite far probably, like in American measurements, it really isn't that far, Like I would say it's like four or five hours away, which yeah, so an American is like, oh that's like yeah, that's like pretty much half the code tree away.
Speaker 2: So the four K for this, it does have a live performance. You got seventeen tracks on here. If you're in a deaf Leopard. This is their first four K release, So check it out if you like photograph yeah, uh, if you don't like def Leppard and you like the opera. Mercury Studios is putting up Pavaratti live from nineteen ninety five. This is three decades after this was done. And uh, this has been being worked on for quite some time. This year would have been his ninetieth birthday on October twelfth, and they're they're keeping a promise that they held to him because he came back after he made promise to go perform here. And they've been working on this for the longest time. This is like a lost concert and supposedly really great. This is one genuinely I would love to hear and see if possible. Yeah, Pavarotti, I am a Pavaratti guy, big into opera, Not.
Speaker 3: Really, I just uh, once I bought like a whole watt of vinyl from like, well, not a dead guy, but like someone who knew a dead guy, and there's like three Pavaratti things in there, and I put in my really like him.
Speaker 2: So yep, I think that was the funniest way you could have said. From my mate Jimmy knows this guy Tom, He's he's dead.
Speaker 3: There was a dead guy that was sacri into Pavaratti.
Speaker 2: Uh, speaking of the UK again, Jesus, It's all about you tonight, coming soon on four K steal book Here in the US can also get a Blu ray and a DVD. Does not look like there's going to be a standard four K. From dcal of Spinal Tap to the end, continues, Are you a Spinal Tap fan? Not really.
Speaker 3: I'm a big Rob Rainer fan for sure, but Spinal TAP's not really my thing. I feel like it's definitely like a generations thing, like what it's what it's kind of parodying doesn't really exist anymore then, it's true, and I didn't grow up where it did exist, so it's like, yeah, it's parodying a thing that I just never saw or experienced, so like it has its moments, but like not to the point where I feel culturally attached to it.
Speaker 2: Did you see the sequel yet? No?
Speaker 3: I saw that. You saw it? Though?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's worth watching. It's not special. It's nowhere near the power of the first one, but it's it's it's got a lot of funny moments. I do like, oh gosh, I'm not gonna remember her name off hand. We were talking about Taskmaster before we went live. Somebody from Taskmaster is. She plays a pretty big part in this, and now it's gonna bug me unless I go find out her name real quick. It is home.
Speaker 3: It's just like Kent is very right. By the way, I'm not from Kent.
Speaker 2: It's really funny that that keeps popping up now.
Speaker 3: I'm very very far from Kentuck.
Speaker 2: Kerry Godlman she is in this. She is a UK comedian. Huh.
Speaker 3: I don't even know how you spell that shit.
Speaker 2: Oh that woman. Yeah, she's on She's on a bunch of the panel shows, just like all the other comedians.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I never knew her name. I just like to see her around. She's in like a lot of wreckage of based stuff.
Speaker 2: So it's true. It's true.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Next up, more UK releases. December fifteenth, Blu Ray release from eighty eight films of Don't Open Till Christmas from nineteen eighty four. This, of course, will be a part of their Slasher Classics collection. Have you seen Don't Open Till Christmas? No, it's a pretty good one actually. Vinegar Syndrome has already put out a pretty heppy release of this in the US, but if you don't have it yet. This one looks like a pretty nice release as well. A commentary Troy Howarth and Eugenio or Kilani, some interviews on here one with Kim Newman, who's always interesting to look at and hear from. Carolyn Monroe is on this one as well, and then some trailers.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm like a big horror guy, and I don't think I've seen like any horror like Christmas movies. I've not seen like Black Christmas or anything cool remake of it yet, none of them. I haven't seen any of them.
Speaker 2: That is a lot.
Speaker 3: Wait, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It is pretty weird, very funny. Next up is Takashi Mike's film Over Your Dead Body from twenty fourteen, coming from Oh Yeah Over in the UK on December fifteenth. This is a part of their japan Archy collection. Have you seen this one? Then? I have? Yes. This is shockingly good and somehow like overlooked. I feel like in his stuff because everybody always goes to the giant titles. This movie is quite well done. Hopefully you're not gonna be like, yeah, I think it should, but no.
Speaker 3: It's great. The thing with me K is that like ninety percent of his catalog is going to be overlooked because he puts out about, you know, fifty movies a year, so it's like it the main ones always get picked up. But like to go complace on me K is such a task.
Speaker 2: Nah, impossible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like you are gonna miss a bunch of whatever he releases, no matter how much you try. But this one is so good. And this is the thing about me Ka as well, considering how much like he puts out his bat and average is incredible. Yeah, for such a prolific director, he rarely misses.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, this one's great.
Speaker 2: Brendan says, I've only seen around sixty Mek films. We got a commentary with Tom mess on this one, which should be great, which I think that commentary was also on the Shout release of this that came out like five years or actually it probably came out earlier than that. It might not be on there, but uh yeah, this is a good movie. Check it out if you've never seen it. Meek is pretty great. Noodle says, I've only seen one or two of his What are the favorites of Meks?
Speaker 3: You got any titles you want to call out for? Me, K right, give me a sec. I'm gonna have a quick look because I'm going to miss something can be really upset.
Speaker 2: The three big ones that most people are going to go to are each of the Killer.
Speaker 3: Audition in thirteen Assassins is like a big one.
Speaker 2: I would have said that's the fourth one. Visitor Q is the third one. I was going to say, yeah, yeah, I'm trying to think Graveyard of Honor masterpiece.
Speaker 3: Though Graveyard of Honor is really good. There's one I'm trying to remember, Crows zero Crows zero Yeah, from like two thousand and seven or eight. It's a really really good movie. It's one of my favorite Mek movies.
Speaker 2: One is called classic definitely one that everybody happiness of the categories is a must watch for a lot of people if you're into that that style. It's so good.
Speaker 3: Rainy Dog, Rainy Dog's really good. Yeah. But someone just said throughout in audition noodles, Yeah, audition. But if you've seen like no Mek movies auditions like the one, I think that will Eachy the Killer.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is a weird call. He did a short film called Midnight that I think is on Netflix right now. If I remember, right, and it came out last year and it's like fifteen minutes, I think fifteen twenty minutes. It's shockingly well made. But don't expect like a great story or anything like that. But it's really fun to watch. And if it's not, if it's not on Netflix, it should be on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that it's it's very style. I mean it's BK, so yeah, of course it was gonna be stylish, but it's very good. The big thing with him is his stuff is gory. I mean, look at this cover. His stuff is usually gory. His pactics are usually great. It's it's good stuff. Check it out like Each of the Killer specifically, if you've never seen Each of the Killer, for what he does for Gore in that movie, it's it's wild. And the audition is just creepy as shit.
Speaker 3: Well, auditions great. I remember when we was doing it was the last time I was on and it's doing unconventional rah Mons movies. For Valentine's Day, an audition was one of mine. I remember, like distinct, it's one of my favorite moments from being on here. It's like top three where like I remember saying audition and then watching your face that it came out. He was not solf at all.
Speaker 2: I was not ready for that. I love the back to back of these comments. Laife says I loved his Masters of Horror episode, and then Adam says his Masters of Horror section was horrible. Oh man, all right, so that is over your dead body. That is coming. Like I said on December fifteenth in the UK and then December fifteenth in the UK, December sixteenth in the US, Eight eight Films is doing Saga of the Phoenix. This is a sequel to The Peacock King, which eight eight Films is also releasing only in the UK for that one. So I have a feeling somebody else has it here in the US, and that'll probably be coming out soon. This one has a commentary with Frank Jang and FJ de Santo. We got an image gallery and then alternate Japanese footage in this one.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never seen this one or The Peacock Ing. Actually, I've been wanting to see The Peacock King for a while. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I've not seen either, but the Peacock King has been on my watch list for a while.
Speaker 2: Let's go through pretty quickly because we don't have all the details on all of these, but Air forty four. Forty four is putting a shit ton of stuff up for pre order tomorrow. This will be available at one pm Eastern, so you are looking at thirteen and a half hours from now. These first few are going to be very specific titles. And then we got some box sets and stuff. So we got a Blu Ray coming from them of Countdown from twenty twelve. This is a tie thriller. You've got new artwork on this. You've got a new booklet, new stickers that are coming with this reversible artwork, Blu Ray sleeve. You've got this heavy duty slip cover. You've got some promo videos and some other like music videos and stuff like that. This thing is thirty six bucks just for this film. Then the second release is a release of Challenge of the Lady Ninja from nineteen eighty three. This is one that they had announced previously that they were doing. I'm glad this is coming out finally. This is one I'm actually pretty interested in. This one is from legendary Taiwanese martial arts filmmaker Liso Nam. This is going to have a chip Board Collector's Edition Blu Ray box set limited to fifteen hundred units with new artwork, twenty page booklet with essays by Jessica Young and Michelle Kisner, three new stickers, a double sided eighteen by twenty four poster reversible art, and then a new two K restoration, new interview with the director or new intro by the director, new trailer compilation, a new audio commentary by Justin d'clue and Dylan Chung, new audio commentary by Kenneth Broson and Paul Fox, and this will be region free. This one is forty six dollars, so a little more pricey than that first one. And yeah, I'm certainly interested in this one for sure. Then comes the box sets. First up, we've got art of the Devil one through three. These are from two thousand and four, two thousand and five, and two thousand and eight. These are buried in like tie black and white magic type of films. You've got new art on here. You've got three stickers, double sided poster, reversible sleeve. This one is a hundred bucks. And we don't have everything, I don't think, but we got some. So we've got new interviews with the director new intro up. I think that might be from the last release and they copied it onto this announcement because I don't think those are supposed to be on here. This release, though, is one that I'm looking forward to. I was not going to get this one, but I actually had a meeting today with Arna Venema, and Arna told me about something that they did for this box set and it sounds insane. So they are, uh, they are gonna have a Siam black Magic video that they did. There's a visual essay by Horrible Reviews. There's an archival making of and a trailer. Yeah, these extras that were listed here were from the past release and they've now updated it, thankfully. But this this release looks absolutely wild and uh, they're they're kind of under selling what they got in that black Magic visual essay if if you do watch it. Supposedly there's even a like viewer Discretion as advised card that comes up just for a visual essay, which is pretty crazy. Any of these so far? Interesting? You this one.
Speaker 3: Not one hundred dollars interesting, but interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is a weird, weird box set. But yeah, one hundred bucks for this for this full box set three films, lots of extras, which is wild considering the previous release that we just covered is forty six bucks for one film and it's about the same number of extras. Anyways, we'll talk about money in just a minute, because that's still something to discuss. Then the other thing they're doing is this box set, which is one hundred and twenty dollars of the Nami collection, which just came out recently from Third Window Films in the UK, and this has essentially all the same films with possibly some different extras. They've not even listed out all of the extras on these, but this one is one hundred and twenty bucks and it's four films, so it's a little bit more. You are going to get the big chipboard box set. You've got limited slip covers that fit in the box set. You've got some art cards, you've got double sided posters, booklet with two essays. But yeah, one hundred and twenty bucks. And then their sub label that we talked about last week, they are putting out two front teeth. This is coming from their new line called Phantom Transmission. This one is thirty bucks. It's coming with three stickers, a double sided slip cover and a booklet. This is a Christmas horror film from two thousand and six that the the reviews on this look pretty abysmal.
Speaker 3: I will say they need to get a new graphic designer.
Speaker 2: You don't love it. A lot of people like the art on the on all these this time.
Speaker 3: No, the art's fine. I mean just for this like release announcement.
Speaker 2: Oh got it, like all the all the arrows and yeah, I get it. Chasis, Yeah, it's a it's a little messy. I don't know why they went with the like shrubbery background of this one and like.
Speaker 3: The blue shot of.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, I get it. So if you want all of them ten films, this is a three hundred dollars bundle. Essentially, if you buy the full bundle, you're getting that two front teeth film for free because it saves you about thirty bucks. But three hundred dollars is a lot for this full set. You you look constipated. Pass Okay, so I pass. I get it. I'm not going to stand up for them. I will say, I love the air forty four forty four guys, but they just had a lot of trouble getting three films sent out that were on pre order for legitimately like eight months, and to put ten films on pre order in one day is this calling stretch would be really underselling it. I would not have a lot of confidence buying this whole bundle from them tomorrow thinking I would get these before the end of the year. Obviously that seems nigh impossible, especially because they've not even announced a ship date on this yet, so that's kind of wild. That being said, I do kind of want two of these, so I will I will think about it. But one hundred and fifty bucks for those two things is a lot of money. A lot of money, all right. Hey, last thing I was gonna say is about me. Actually, I am going to be trickling out some teases and announcements here soon. Most of them are going to be through my Patreon, so sign up for that. If you have not yet, you can subscribe at the link below or at the link and on social media. There is some pretty big stuff about to be happening, and I have been working on it for like a year and a half and very eager to start giving some teases before it can actually be fully discussed and revealed. And talked about. So come check it out. Sign up with the Patreon, get access to the discord. You can get access to the magazine and get some behind the scenes stuff sent your way. I'm signed up, Yes you are, and you are quite appreciated. Let's talk about what's coming out next week in case you forgot, because we are done with the new announcements. The big thing next week in the US. At least the UK gets it a month later. The Nightmare on Elm Street four K collection is finally here. Orbit actually got them in today. They are shipping out right now. The steel book set is an Amazon exclusive, so that should be shipping probably around Sunday Monday to people that bought it, and then hopefully they come in good shape. The Wes Anderson Archive four K collection from Criterion also comes out next week. Screep Show Creep Show two from Arrow On four K next week as well. We've got all the OCN stuff shipping to everybody. Dog Tooth four K from Keno next week. Life of Chuck four K. Just a boring release compared to your special HMV one. I'm quite jealous. The art on that AHMV release is very nice. Let's see American Pie four K getting its standard and steel book release here in the US from the studio. We've got Mama four K from Scream Factory, Dons of Macabo, Volume four from seven becoming led Zeppelin Steel Book coming, The Dracula Legacy four K collection, Late Night Mysteries from Dan Curtis from Keno. This is one that I've had since day one. I've been after that one for quite some time. Hong Kong Gamblers and Gangsters from Shout Factory. That one is shipping already. Actually, Rob Meet four K from Blue Underground, two Chet Turtle and Dumb Dumb Complete series from Warner Archive. We've got the Treasures of Soviet Animation of Volume two coming from Deaf Crocodile that is shipping now, especially the Deluxe and the standard will be coming next week. And then we've got Serious from Deaf Crocodile shipping as well. I Died a Thousand Times from Warner Archive. The Bride of Frankenstein four K steelbook from Universal Black Samson from Warner Archive, and then the Opera from Warner Archive, Castlovenia, the Complete Collection Misercordia from Criterion. That's one that I've been wanting to see for a bit. Now, have you seen that one yet? That seems like a movie KRIT might have watched? Now, all right, I guess that's pretty much it, other than Shakespeare's ship Storm on four K from Trauma.
Speaker 3: Finally, some good movies.
Speaker 2: Other than the Life of Chuck. Anything here that you feel like you're gonna have to purchase?
Speaker 3: Not really? What did Wes Anderson do to the CEO of Criterion?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: At what's going on here? Like, I look, I like Isle of Dogs Boys again a.
Speaker 2: Criterion because it's Wes Anderson.
Speaker 3: Stinks? Think it Like, there's so many like great movies that should be on Criterion, and it gets given to fucking Isle of Dogs and the French Dispatch, you know, a Nightmare on Elm Street. Actually, no, I take that back, there's no point.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Creep Show two.
Speaker 2: Creep Show two is a masterpiece, I agree.
Speaker 3: And Creep Show two I think that's pretty much the only thing here that really grabs me.
Speaker 2: Gary is asking what is King Kung Fu? We talked about that on the show a couple of weeks ago. But this thing sounds amazing if you've never heard of it. It says a remote monastery in China has trained a talking gorilla, yes, a talking gorilla called King kung Fu in the ancient art of kung Fu. Having mastered as fighting seals, King Kung Fu is sent to America to demonstrate the power of Chinese martial arts to the West. As he's traveling through Kansas, a pair of bumbling reporters sees KKF King Kung Fu and decides he can be their ticket to fame and wealth. Of course, the gorilla gets away from them, and soon everyone is chasing the shaolin simion.
Speaker 3: Okay, I take it back. I'm interested in that in Creepshaw too.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a fun release.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that is it for announcements. So now we get to talk a big thing tonight, Denzel. Oh my god. And we've only been two hours and fifteen minutes already, so now it's gonna be a late night. So tell us about Denzel. Why Why is he? Why is he one of the best?
Speaker 3: Uh? Because he is. I have a video about that exact topic, and I don't remember a single thing I said in it, but I'm sure it's more articulate than I'm going to be now. But I just think just pure screen presence. He blends into any type of role. There's like this weird thing I've heard lately where people just say, like, Denzel just plays Denzel in movies, and I think that is just such a fucking bizarre thing to say about someone like Denzel, who has like such a vast career of different types of roles, different types of movies. You know, he's known as a leading man, but he plays secondary very very well, and even when he is a supporting actor, he steals the show completely. He has like a theatrical presence to him. I mean he's always said, like an interviews and stuff, you know, he feels like he's a stage actor, not a film actor, because like the stage is an actors medium, where his film is a director's medium. But he brings that like theatricality to his movies. A lot of the times when he's performing, it feels like he's on the stage. He feels like there's an audience there, and you feel like you're watching someone on stage, like you are just so captured by the performance in that moment that you kind of forget you're watching a movie. And yeah, there is not a single actor like him. I don't like in half of the things that Denzel Washington and does. I don't think he could be replaced by a different actor and do anywhere near as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think I could argue with that at all. He absolutely owns every single role that he's in. He is He's one of those people that are like the last of the Capital Ms movie stars. Yeah, he is up there with the Tom Cruise and the Brad Pitts and the Leo DiCaprio's and that's in that realm. That's probably it, like literally those four people right now. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The thing is like because whenever I say Denzel's the great, these people always like chuck someone else out in there. You know, someone always chuck out, like a Daniel day Lewis or Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert Niro, Alpatuna. People love throwing like these people out. But like there are times where I watch any of them in a movie and I know that there is someone else that could be in this movie instead, where like they might not have done quite as good a job. Maybe like say Daniel day Lewis and will be Blood, But Daniel day Lewis and that will be Blood is not the only actor that could have accomplished that role, right Whereas like I feel like a lot of the times someone else could have stepped in for Denzel in some of these roles, but the quality drops significantly, you know, like if you have Malcolm X, and Malcolm X, you know is replaced like DENZAO for someone else. You know around that time, that movie is nowhere near as good as it is nowhere near. And yeah, I feel like that's the same for a lot of the stuff that he's in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is great in pretty much everything. We were talking this, talking about this before we went live. But he is one of those people that roughly around like the early nineties, he hit that point where he could just make choices on what he was going to be in and he has had that the entire time. And based on that, he is now not making as many decisions. He has made his money. He gets to continue to make the choices that he wants to make, rather than feeling like he has to make them. And based on that, he's in a lot less things nowadays, and honestly, probably not a bad thing. I wish some other people would make that same choice.
Speaker 3: I know he does a lot of stage stuff now, like he stays on broad like doing Othello and stuff like that. He loves doing Shakespeare, so that's where he is like generally. But yeah, it's kind of crazy. But I think that kind of kind of came about because I think people quickly realize that, no matter the quality of the movie itself, if Denzel is in the movie, there is always something to grab onto. I have seen all fifty six of this man's work, all fifty six and can tell you, even in the abysmal movies, he is doing a great job. I don't I don't think there's a single Denzel movie where he does not deliver impeccably. And that's something that like producers and stuff can hang on to because it's like if your movie's coming out and you you know, as a producer or a director or whatever, that is maybe not the best thing. If you know Denzel's in it, you know you have at least one thing an audience is going to hook onto. Yeah, so that very early on allows him to make so many decisions about like what he's on, what he you know, what he's in he was in obviously he's in training day, but there was a he had the Pull at that time to change the director he came in and the original I can't remember who was said to direct it, but he basically just was like I want Antoine food Quad to direct this, and there was like okay, and they just brought in Anton Fuqua instead. So, yeah, insane amount of Pull.
Speaker 2: Fifty six films. You've seen them all. You just mentioned abysmal. Obviously, we're not gonna be talking about the abysmal films tonight. Are there a couple that you think that you could name that are just truly bad movies even though he may not be bad in them? Yes, which ones? Let's hear it?
Speaker 3: Carbon Copy? It is atrocious. It's the worst film he's ever been and it's terrible. It's about this wealthy white guy who finds out that he has a black son and it destroys his life and he ends up having to go and live in the ghetto. Yeah, so that's terrible. There's for Queen and Country where he does a British accent and it's not good. Yeah, it's not a good accent. It's a good performance, but that the accent's rough, So that's not great at all. Yeah, virtuosity is not very good either in concept, it should be great, should be amazing, even you know, Russell Crowe. Denzel in like a weird futuristic like sci fi movie, but it's it, it's fine. And then he's in like a bunch of TV movies, right. So there's like Wilma, which is his first movie from seventy seven, which you can only see on like YouTube in one four p but I did it and he's only in it for like five minutes as well, so that's great. Flesh and Blood, which is like a four hour TV movie about a boxer who's in an incestuous relationship with his mother. It stars Tom Berenger and the supporting has Denzel and John Casavedi's and it's not great. And yeah, there's a bunch more. There's like Heart oh right, yeah, Heart Condition as well. Heart Condition is not great. It has Bob Hoskins who's a racist and he hates Denzel Washington. But Denzel dies and Denzel for some reason is stuck like as a ghost that haunts Bob Hoskins who's racist the whole time. It's not it's a weird fucking movie anyway. Yeah, there's a bunch but like he's still great in pretty much all of them. So there's that.
Speaker 2: So tonight we're going to be going back and forth, ranking one through ten, discussing these. We didn't discuss this beforehand. Do you want to do it if the other person has it up higher? Do you want to wait and have us both talk about it then, or do you want to discuss at each of our places?
Speaker 3: I don't mind.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let's hear your number ten first. We're gonna go through this and again, just to warn everybody, Krit and I like to break these down when we do this, so good luck, be along for the ride, and here we go.
Speaker 3: I'll behave.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So I have the physical releases for the ones that I have, and at my number ten, I do have a physical release for it is Man on Fire, directed by Tony Scott. Okay, every film in my top ten, by the way, is a ten out of ten. I have all of these at five stars. They're all perfect movies.
Speaker 2: So in other words, this was very difficult for Krit to do.
Speaker 3: This was so upsetting because like even at like in my ranking at twenty twenty is like a nine out of ten. Jeez, so like my twenty of his cry Freedom like it's so.
Speaker 2: And we're splitting hairs at that point. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, at ten is Man on Fire Tony Scott, have you seen the rotten tomatoes for this movie?
Speaker 2: No? Oh, are you about to upset me?
Speaker 3: Have a guess?
Speaker 2: Uh with you saying that it's probably lower than I was expecting. So I'm gonna say, like fifty eight thirty nine, ah, thirty nine, see, and it should be like an eighty two.
Speaker 3: Right, Ryan's right, by the way, he Hoskins does get the heart transplant from Denzel that's correct. Yeah, it's been a while since to watch Heart Condition. Oh dude, watch watch Man on Fire. Yeah, thirty nine percent is outrageous for a Tony Scott movie. That is everything Tony Scott. It has like the sweaty kind of schizophrenic editing. The the color palette for it is very burnt orange. And yeah, it's it's a remake first of all. In turn of Scott did a few of those, like two thousands, like remake. He did like the Taking a Palm one two three as well with Denzel, which I also really like. It's not in my top ten, but I also really like that movie. Just to put it out there.
Speaker 2: Also.
Speaker 3: Strangely, I think that is one of the only movies where I think someone out acted Denzel. I think Travolta in The Taking Appellan one two three is so wonderful. He is like out of his fucking mind in that movie. That like, I think he got it more than Denzel got it. Like anyway, he's great with Dakota Fanning is like so good in that movie. It is Dakota, right, not Elle. I think it's Dakota. Yeah, it is Dakota. Yeah, I always get the mixed up on my fiance. I guess really upset at me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She is such a wonderful child actor. And yeah, her performance in this is so heartbreaking. If people don't know what it's about, It's about Denzel who's a drunk, which he plays a lot, and he's a bodyguard for a little girl who gets kidnapped and he goes on like a revenge quest to get her back. It's like John Wick, but better. It's got Christopher walk in it. Mickey Rourke when like Mickey Rourke was like an actual good actor, better looking too far better looking. Yeah, and yeah, it's it's just a wonderful time. The action is top tier. It's Tony Scott. Like everyone mentions because Denzel has a really good relationship with a lot of directors like Antoine Fuqua and and stuff like that. But everyone mentioned Spike Lee like Spike Lee and Denzel a like the Crowning Two. But I think Tony Scott and Denzel were like a much better pair. I think that the Spike Lee one has like higher highs but much lower lowers, Whereas I think Tony Scott and Denzel like consistently hit very very like strong but rating movies, not Denzel's performances, but they sometimes got a hand in hand. Yeah, but Manifire excellent movie.
Speaker 2: It is excellent, which is why I'll be talking about it later. But yeah, it's very good. My number ten, speaking of, I'm just gonna go right into it because of what you just said is a Spike Lee film that tends to get forgotten a lot, and so I got to bring up Inside Man here.
Speaker 3: He was just gonna say like he got game or something else.
Speaker 2: No Inside Man gets overlooked as not like top tier Denzil not top tier, Spike Lee, not top tier anybody, which, by the way, cast in this is great even like James Ranson is in this, but Christopher fucking Blummer, Clive Owen, Willem Dafoe's in this, Jonny Foster is in this, ye, so it's oh yeah, she would tell ed you for us so good. In this, Denzel plays a detective another thing. He plays a lot, and he is magnificent in this. And essentially, if you've never seen it, it is a bank robbery heist gone wrong turns into a hostage situation and then Denzel has to be one of the negotiators, and it is It's a movie that really could have fallen apart into like a I don't know, like a wanna be like go with the super cliche ending type of film. But instead this was brilliantly written to just sort of pepper along the whole story the entire way instead of like a big twist reveal and have you like lose everything out of the sales. But this movie is just great. It's written like perfectly balanced. It's kind of a weird thing to say, but and I don't want to give away too much of this movie because it's very good to see if you've ever seen it. Spike Lee really good director for this, but because it's not his typical thing. I think people just forget that it's Spike a lot of the time. Yeah, but yeah, Denzel fantastic in this whole story of this is great, very tense movie, certainly one that so you you can quickly get lost in love this movie, love love the cash. Like I said, yeah, inside Man, number ten.
Speaker 3: I have that at seventeen. Oh geez, I know, but like I said, like number twenty is like a nine out of ten, right, Like the gap between seventeen and like eleven is very minuscule.
Speaker 2: Right, So yeah, good to know. Good to know. Number nine for you.
Speaker 3: Number nine is another one I own. I have a video on this one actually as well, which is Mississippi Massala.
Speaker 2: It's my number nine as well.
Speaker 3: This is amazing, brilliant then, yeah, Mississippi Massala is so fantastic. I think the way like it handles everything that I mentioned in my video really like racial tensions, but not just racial tensions between like the obvious groups of like white and minority, but within minority communities, like within the black community, how they see you know, other like Asian people, and how Asian people see black people, and in these like lower economic communities, as well, you know, how like everything's kind of pitted against each other when really you are one and the same, you know, and like kind of the cycle of how like that stuff is bred into you as well from children and stuff like that. Yeah, it's a beautifully made movie. I think Denzel should have done a lot more rom coms in this time. Yeah it's not a roum comas like a romance movie rather, but yeah, he's such a good romantic lead. And I think him and Soreta are like maybe the most gorgeous couple in a romance movie ever. They are like just two of the most beautiful people. And there's like this one scene where they're like walking on the beach and they're just talking to each other, and I remember watching it for the first time going like, this is like the most beautiful thing ever put to a string. It's like two ten out of ten people just walking on the sunniest beach, like just talking about love. It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: So on that note, this might be the movie where I had to question did I just fall in love with Denzel Washington? He oozes charisma from every single scene in this movie. He is magnificent in this He is magnetic, Like, I feel like everybody in this movie is attracted to him in so many different ways. But the crazy thing that gets kind of like brushed under the rug. I guess when discussing this is specifically where you're talking about with the minority groups, because this isn't just hey, we're in Mississippi and the white people think black people are bad, like this is true African American diaspora. This is Indian ethnic groups. This is mixing of ethnic groups and people that don't agree with that and how that changes tensions and stuff. This movie is beautiful in so many different ways, and I completely agree he should have done another, I don't know, eight movies like this in the two years following this. However, he probably thought that was enough and just made his choices to do better. But yeah, this is one that gets sorely overlooked. Has a really wonderful criterion release, beautiful film, wonderfully directed, and some really great like vistas like the classic use of the word the way they get landscapes in this movie feel so special. It feels very what's the best way to say this, Like, I feel like it feels like film in the nineties, but not like of the nineties. Yeahthing, there's something special about how we went on scene in the nineties to go film things right before we went to the green screen of everything, like things got actual budgets and they said, no, we're setting a camera up and we're getting this sunset specifically, and it's gorgeous in this movie. Yeah, check out Miss Sibby Massala. You need to see it if you haven't.
Speaker 3: It's so good. And on the topic of like Denzel should have done more, like more romance stuff. It's quite funny because, like you know, Denzel's whole career, people have like formed over Denzel. He's like very well known as a very handsome man. He's like people love, you know. I remember women like when I was growing up would watch Denzel movies just to see Denzel. They didn't care about the movie or anything like that. So he's like such an obvious pick for a romantic lead. He has so much charisma, he's so very like good looking, but he just never really ventured into that genre, which I find quite interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should point out directed by Myra Nair, that is the director. Criterion releasing Salam Bombay her first film in December, and she's also the mother of the current New York City mayoral candidates, or on mom Donnie, who should hopefully be winning in a landslide.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's pretty to go and say that and see my video on it is not what he did.
Speaker 2: Number eight. You want me to share mine first? Do you want to keep going on here? Since we had the same one? So my number eight is one of the first forced upon me Denzel movies to watch that I did not like it first, and I learned to love later after watching it three more times. I think by that face, you probably know exactly what it is. I was forced to watch Glory in school and this movie is amazing. Glory is yet another one of these movies that has just a shockingly great cast. Nineteen eighty nine directed by Edwardswick and we got Matthew Broderick in this, Carrie Elwis but maybe more important, Morgan Freeman is so good in this. Andre Brower is great in this. Just a bunch of like random care tractors like Richard reel is in this. You'll you'll recognize his face from all kinds of shit that you've seen and loved. But this is about a Civil War volunteer company that's all black. They're fighting against the Union or sorry, fighting as the Union against the Confederates, and there's of course racial problems everywhere because the it's an all black volunteer group and it's the Civil War, so it is like the overarching tension in this entire movie. This movie rules and does not get discussed enough in twenty twenty five. The four K looks really great. By the way, Sony released that a few years ago. Morgan Freeman in this is I mean he was already older, but something about him in this like is the first thing that he did where I was like, oh man. He's like the voice of reason in so many different situations. He's like a born leader. This is one that Denzel does not have a huge role, but he when he's on screen, it is huge. He is He is a tour de force when he needs to be. Love Glory. I think it's overlooked and sort of underappreciated in twenty twenty five, and honestly, right now probably one of the more important movies that we could watch.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Glory, Glory's not on my list. So I get to talk about Glory a little bit. It's at sixteen, oh, nice. I love Glory. So when I watched Glory, like, we didn't watch this in school because you know, it's American Civil Wars and he teaches that shit. But I do remember watching it when I was roughly that age and I was bored to tears. So when it came to doing my Denzel video and I was like, fuck, I've got to watch Glory. I don't want to watch fucking Glory. I don't care. I was stunned by it. I think genuinely it was the first time I got Morgan Freeman because, like, Morgan Freeman is in so much stuff, but every time I watch him, I'm like, he's okay, Like he's a fine actor, he's okay, he's charismatic, but I don't understand, Like the thing with Morgan Freeman, I don't know how this guy out of all of them. And then I I was like, fuck, Morgan Freeman's really good in Glory. He's so good in Glory. Well, so, yeah, they're correct, Andre Brows in this movie. He's so good in this movie. Yeah. Denzel's obviously great. He has the Glory tier, the famous tier. I believe he was nominated for the Oscar for this but I yeah, I don't think he won. I think this is the first time he was like nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting And yeah, it's an absolutely brilliant movie. And you know it's great because I don't care about war movies. I especially don't care about the American Civil War and I did not care for Morgan Freeman, so it has to tell you something. It's fantastic. Also, Edward Zwick, who directed it, did two more movies with Denzel, did The Siege and Courage and The Fire. The Siege is pretty okay, it's pretty good, and Courage and Defire I think is super underrated.
Speaker 2: It's very underrated. Good choice there that that almost made my list. That was a one. I think it would have been like thirteen.
Speaker 3: Encourage and Defire is quite it's like thy three on mine. But even still there, I think it's got like a like three and a half stars.
Speaker 2: Oh, Denzel did win the Oscar for Glory.
Speaker 3: Ah okay, okay, okay, I know there was like an Oscar thing there in my head. I just couldn't figure out what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. For some reason, I did in my mind that his first his first win was not in the eighties.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, all right, you're number eight, my number eight.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: It's it's the Tragedy of Macbeth direct Colin. Yeah. So obviously I don't have a physical release for it, because there isn't one as far as I know. This is where you say, like, oh, italy us one.
Speaker 2: I don't know. There might be one.
Speaker 3: I'll check, but yeah, it's so good. Like everybody knows Denzel stage actor, you know, I mean, loves being on stage, and he definitely loves Shakespeare. He's done Shakespeare a million times. And I studied Macbeth at school. You know, everyone studies something Shakespeare at school, but for us, who was Macbeth. And I hated it. I was bored to tears with Macbeth. It's nowhere near my favorite Shakespeare thing.
Speaker 2: And this.
Speaker 3: Is the first time I understood Macbeth, like I understood the power of it and how great this story can be. I think reading the material didn't really work for me, but like seeing it is so because this is a stage play just filmed. Every set on here looks like it was built for a stage. You know, there's no like complicated like structures or anything like that. It's all very plain. It's all very beautiful as well. It's a very beautifully shot like black and white film, and every performer in it is performing like they're on a stage. There's like long takes of just big monologues and stuff like that, which obviously Denzel thrives in. And I think it also expertly shows how much Denzel understands Shakespeare, because Shakespeare was funny, like for his time, there was a lot of comedy in his work, and I feel like a lot of that gets lost in you know, over time and the translation as comedy changes and the wordings and stuff. But like, Denzel is funny in this movie. He makes that die log his own and he's like super charismatic as he always is with it. And yeah, it's it's so good and a great cast as well.
Speaker 2: I've heard nothing about good things about this. I really need to see it. It's just they try to get people to not be able to see it.
Speaker 3: Feels like, yeah, it's funny because obviously the Coen Brothers like broke up and Joel Cohen has gone and made this like masterpiece, while Ethan is just making like his weird like little Goofy's anythings, and I need him to like salt his shit out.
Speaker 2: Yeah I haven't hated his the stuff, but yeah, please get back together with your boyfriend. Yeah all right. So my number seven, since I've not seen that one, he is Training Day two thousand and one's Training Day, directed by Antoine Fuqua. It feels like it was made for me. I feel like Antoine Fuqua when he was on Fire was incredible. But the big thing is and Ethan Hawk are like the perfect team up for my sensibilities. They play off each other extremely well. In this movie, Denzel, again playing a detective but not quite the same detective as he normally does, is training Ethan Hawk essentially on his first day as a rookie cop and Chico's bed. It's it's a just wonderfully acted movie. It's two people giving like the performances of a lifetime in that moment, and it is like endlessly quotable. Denzel is, like there are some scenes in this where you can like visibly see him shaking because of how he's acting. He is so into this that it is this is like the perfect example of those Every time I see him acting, I only see Denzel no much fucking Training Day. Dude, he is another person all together.
Speaker 3: He's scary as fucking training.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's wild. If you've not seen Training Day, you you should and go into it not knowing anything. This is one of those movies that it's absolutely better for that. There's another one with a lot of names in the background. I mean they got fucking doctor Drane Snoop in this. Yeah, Raymond J. Barry is in this. Tom Berenger is in this. But oh Scotland, Yeah, big part in this. I I mean, there's there's so much that could be said about Training Day, but it's all kind of been said before. It is one of those like classic la crime movies, and if you have not taken the time with it, you should. It's a It's a two hour movie that I feel like I wouldn't have been mad if it was three hours longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love stuff like this, and I feel like it is one of the best examples of like dirty cop training a rookie type of movies that have been attempted, and this is one of those that could not have been anybody but Denzel He he is this role, he is Training Day. I love it movie.
Speaker 3: Oh we're talking about training day later because it is on my list nice before that though, is one I don't have a physical release for which herks me is John Q. So John Q used to be higher on my list, but recent rewatches have dropped it down to seven. But what a movie. Okay, so we played this game earlier, let's play it again. What do you think The Rotten Tomato score.
Speaker 2: Of John Q is what I think it should be, probably about the same as what I said for the other one. I'll say it should be like a eighty three, and it's probably based on what you just said, probably like a forty one.
Speaker 3: It is twenty six, Jesus twenty.
Speaker 2: As so much twenty six? What it right? Right? John Q?
Speaker 3: So powerful one relevant even still to today. The performance put in by Denzel stands out even in a career of standout performances. It is so powerful. It is so simple, and that's what makes it so effective. If nobody knows what it's about. It's about John quincy Archibal. He's just a regular dad, you know. He works part time at a factory because they've cut his hours and whatever. And his son has a problem, a medical problem, like his heart's too big, and he's a heart transplant, but Denzel doesn't have the insurance because his job put him on a worse insurance plan, and the surgery costs like two hundred and fifty thousands or whatever, so he just can't afford in. He tries everything, you know, to make up the money for this, you know, he sells the car, he's selling everything, like his wife's engagement ring. He's doing everything he possibly can. He's going to financial aid and doing all these different kinds of things, and he just cannot come up with the money. And he eventually takes hostage of the hospital. So he bolts like all these doors, and he takes a like a doctor, a couple of nurses, and a couple civilians that are just like in the waiting room until his demands are met, which is to get his son a new heart. So powerful, it's truly the shining example of like a really good person in a really bad situation, you know, because like objectively, what he's doing is a terrible thing. You know, he's holding all these people at gunpoint. He's holding them hostage, a lot of them sick people, you know, because he's not just you know, the chief of surgery or whatever. It's not just him in there, but it's a woman who's pregnant, and there's a guy like there's Eddie Griffin in this movie, and like his fingers are like are all cut off, and yeah, there's like a woman in there with a baby that has like an ear infection and stuff. And he's got all these people in there, and you would think that like because of this awful situation, you know, like he's the villain, but everyone groups around him because everyone's very sympathetic to his cause, even the people that is holding hostage. And yeah, it's fantastic. It's directed by Nick Cassavetti's which is funny because of that Flesh and Blood TV movie I mentioned earlier has John Cassavetti's in it, so like Denzil has kind of a little link there. And everyone in this movie is just so unreasonable. Can I say, like there is not a single reasonable person in this movie except.
Speaker 2: For John Q.
Speaker 3: Like the director of the hospital is an asshole. She like is not sympathetic at all to his cause. Like the chief of surgery is like, right, so these are your options, and she's like, hold on, you cannot afford these options. Therefore get out. She doesn't care at all. John's wife, Kimberly Elise in this movie is like the meanest person that's ever existed, Like she's The movie opens up with their car getting repossessed and she's angry at him, and he's basically going like, well, they cut my arms at the factory, so I had to over make a payment on the house or the car, so I chose the house. And she's still like pissed at him, and she's like really angry. And then when it comes to the medical bills stuff, she's like super angry at him still for not being able to afford the medical bills, and then she's like do something jahn like that, and then he takes the hospital a kid like hostage and it's so because it's like you're in the same position as him, Yeah, why are you angry at him? And everyone is the same, like everyone is just so unreasonable and obtuse, But it's fine. Eddie Griffin is hilarious in this movie. Every line reading he has is just so funny, and yeah, it's a great movie.
Speaker 2: It is, which is why I'll talk about it a little bit later. My number six is a kind of a good companion piece. To glory because it's related to war kind of, and that is nineteen ninety five's Devil in a Blue Dress. Carl Franklin directs the absolute hell out of this movie. This is set just after World War Two and essentially Denzel's a war hero that comes back to Los Angeles and gets stuck in the middle of this crazy like murder mystery, socio placeolitical scandal thing. And the big thing with this is if you like anything that Carl Franklin has done, obviously the one that you would probably go with with this is One False Move but out of Time. He also did with Denzel mcdonzell decent, not not top ten material, but decent. One False Move is is really great, and I would say this one is up there as well. But this movie. Denzel is hot as hell in this movie. It is such a beautiful period piece, captures la and just a really beautiful Like the closest thing I'd probably say too is like mulhalland Falls. Everything is like that, everybody's wearing a suit type of background shots.
Speaker 3: It's in the wall like out of its time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is so good. The the murder mystery aspect and like the political scandal of this, though, is so like, so well done. For a movie like this, they could have they could have easily like cheaped out on a way worse script and instead this Even without Denzel, this movie would have still been a banger. Thankfully he's in it, and it elevates it to something incredible. But Devil in a Blue Dress deserves every like look back that it possibly can get, especially when you consider the timeline of doing this right after World War Two and setting it as a noir, as as him investigating this as a black man in the late forties. There's so much that comes with that, and he delivers all of it with nuance and poise and just again oozes charisma like he does in so many of these movies. But this movie specifically, it just it gets to me. I mean, everything about this is interesting and compelling and one of those where it's like I love spending time in these scenes but also get along with it because I really want to see what happens next, And some of the other movies that are in this genre it's, I don't know, they lose steam. This movie kind of starts and then doesn't let up in a in a very compelling way worth watching. It's got a nice Criterion release, I believe. I think Criterion did it over the Indicator release of this. I was about to say the Indicator releases the one I have. Great film, great performance again, really good cast too. Wasn't gonna highlight that too much because there's there's not a lot that are like massive but don cheetle in this, Tom Size Moore, Jennifer Bial's also in this, but random ass character actors again that you've seen in so many different things up here in the background and you're like, oh, I've seen, Oh he's gone and he's never in a scene again in this movie. But yeah, really really fun movie. Love love this film.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's not in my turn it's at fourteen, but yeah, I do still really love it. Nine outs of ten, four and a half stars. Brilliant, brilliant movie. So yeah, you basically covered everything I would say. Also, but to this point that mister Adam Scholfield saying Denzel is in so many non viol mo Yeah, he is in a lot of element but like so many non like I mean, does my Better Blues in Mississippi, Massala Offenses and Philadelphia and much ado about nothing like that. There's a lot, but it's true. Yeah, but my number six is no better Blues.
Speaker 2: What a movie.
Speaker 3: So Spike Lee joint again an incredible cast, like a really good cast as well. Actually, so let me just so he's got Denzel, Spike Lee's obviously in it. It's got Wesley Snipes in this movie. Gen Carlo Esposito, he's really good in it. John Tatoro, Charlie Murphy's in this for like two scenes as well. But Charlie Murphy's so funny. And yeah, it's such a good movie. It's about like a jazz musician, he said, he said, trumpeter, and it's it's one of those movies that makes you care for something even if you don't generally, kind of like Moneyball does for baseball, Like you care so much for the jazz music in this, even if you know you don't love jazz. And we really really need gen Carlo in more lighthearted comedic roles like he's for the like the past ten years he has just been playing Gusfring in different scenarios and it's killing me because he is such a funny and charismatic actor. But yeah, so good Denzel. I think this is probably a top three or four Denzel performance, it has like his very theatrical approach, but even in them quite a moment, it's got like this kind of grandiose nature to it. Even you know, when he's not shouting or delivering a big monologue, just when it's him with these thoughts, it still feels very thought provoking. It still feels very grand and he also feels like a very tangible person here. Yeah, you know, like a lot of the times, like Denzel in movies feels larger than life, you know, but in this movie he feels like someone you would just know. And that comes with like a lot of the chemistry that he has with the bandmates, with Wesley Snipes and with Spike leean with everyone that's in like that group. His scenes, especially like backstage, just like those green rooms or whatever, are so naturalistic and so funny and so just like free flowing. There's some of the best scenes so Spike Lee has ever directed. And yeah, so there's the thing, by the way with highest to lowest on the Spike Lee train of thought, where people are really upset with it because it makes a lot of bizarre choices, which it does. It makes a lot of bizarre like music choices and a lot of bizarre like tone choices and editing choices. And here's the thing, Spike Lee does that in this movie as well. But people like this movie, so they're more accepting of it. Yeah, but I think like in the modern day people aren't really too accepting of like a high director like that making just weird and bizarre choices. But there's like multiple times in this movie where there's like the score is going on and it's not like the jazz score, it's just like it's the film's general score, and it feels so clashing to what you're seeing, right, and it's so odd and out of place, but it works. And I feel like that's the same thing in Highslois. He's just doing like the exact same thing, and I think it works phenomenally. And yeah, I think Bleak is one of the most layered and interesting characters in the Denzel canon. We deal a lot with time and how we spend it and who we spend it on, and the value of what we spend our time on, you know, whether it's people or a passion, and finding the balance in those things and the repercussions of choosing one thing over the other and yeah, I think it just has some really interesting dynamics and stuff like that, like Bleak and Wesley Snipe's character Shadow. There always are odds in this movie. They're always after each other, but when a certain thing happens called to the third act, Shadows like right there with him. You know, it's his friend, And I feel like it's an interesting display of friendship in this movie that feels very real because friends aren't always just big buddies. Yeah you know, but yeah, it's great. Also, there's a shot of an actual birth in this movie. By the way, there's like an actual birth. It's so odd. Spike Lee paid people so he could film them giving birth for this movie, and he had the hospital like on speed dial, like so they would call him as soon as someone goes into labor. Crazy bizarre thing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so music is huge for me. I was in jazzban growing up and this was on my list for the longest time. It got bumped at the last moment because I didn't want to have too many Spike Lee films in my tops. So this is technically my number eleven. But this movie is very very special to me. This is one that I have seen many times. One of my favorite Spikes, one of my favorite Denzel's one of my favorite music movies, and it's it's just it's very very good. You said everything very eloquently, so I will let it go there for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well so just real quick, the final moment of the movie kind of silently talk about like how we avoid the pitfalls of parenting by looking at our own parents, you know, and we see how we turn into them, but also a just you know, like and I'm sure you as a parent can definitely like relate to that in some way where he sees like how his mother and father like treated his passion towards music and forcing him into it, and when he finally has a child, he kind of alters that behavior in his parenting. And I just thought that was like a really interesting thing to end the movie on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. I think it's important and not super stereotypical Spike type of choice.
Speaker 3: So's yeah, yeah, it's very cool.
Speaker 2: My number five is not in your top ten. I can say that now I know objectively that this is probably not even worthy of the top ten, but this is a personal choice for me. My number five is Tony Scott's last film twenty ten's Unstoppable. Wow. Yes. So I don't know if you've ever heard this, because I don't talk about it too much, but I was a railroad conductor for multiple years of my life. I did not know this. My father was an engineer, my grandfather was an engineer. I grew up around the railroad, and this movie gets a lot wrong about trains. This movie also gets a lot right about trains. And for a movie about an unstoppable train, which the whole premise for this is kind of sort of impossible with how it would go down. It's shockingly tense, but it's a very fun movie. Just the fact that it like brought legitimacy to a lot of stuff that I did. I love this movie when it came out, and it was like, man, Tony Scott is still out here making really fucking amazing, like great entertaining movies. And then he died and it was like Jesus, like what are we doing? He had so many great movies still left within him, and now he's gone, and like, instead, we're stuck with the other Scott who's nowhere near his fun and unfortunately are It's true?
Speaker 3: You know what actually makes this sad. When Flight came out, Denza was doing like obviously the promotev for Flight and he Tony Scott had like just recently like passed and then we're talking to him about it, and he was saying that, like the day or two before you know, Tony Scott passed away, they had spoke on the phone about doing another movie. Tommy Scott had this idea for another movie with Denzealentn's. I was obviously like super up for it, and it's just like it's annoying that we never got to see like what them two could have done in their late stage of their careers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So nineteen year old Ryan I was a conductor and I worked there for a few years until the economy tanked, and then I got laid off. In a span of one year, I got laid off like thirty six times from the railroad. They would lay you off for like four days and then call you back to work on the weekend because everybody took the weekend off and they didn't have enough people, and so I had a really rough year of it. But this was funny enough. Came right after I decided like to fully walk away from the railroad. And watching this was kind of cathartic because it was like, damn, like, this is really interesting to watch. A lot of it is wrong and I know that. However, it's entertaining as hell. Another one like we're gonna say this all night because most of his movies I have credible cast, but for a movie like Unstoppable about an unmanned train going out, you know, possibly to kill people, is really stacked. I mean, Rosario Dawson is greating this, Ethan So who plays in this, but the big thing like this is one of the best Chris Pine performances that ever done, so good in this. Kevin Dunn is in this. Another character actor Kevin Corrigan another one that's in this. Unfortunately you got to do a little bit of like sucking it up to deal with TJ. Miller ever so slightly in this. But overall really fun movie built around trains, which we don't get a lot of movies about trains, and to be honest, it's a huge, huge backbone of the US and there's a lot of stories you could tell around this shit. So yeah, love this movie. It's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a thirty four of mine.
Speaker 2: Not shocked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like it is in good company, like it is next to Courage and to Fire and Out of Time and stuff like that. Like it's still a very high quality movie. It's like way above the Book of the Line all that stuff. Yeah, let's not even get there. It is my least favorite Tony Scott and Denzel collaboration, of which I think they've done four right, Crimson Tide, Deja Vu, Man on Fire, and un Yeah, yeah that works. Yeah, it's my least favorite of those. But it's still a very quality movie. You can put it on anything. It's like Speed but with a train. You know, it's just very rewatchable.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: Oh, in the Taking of Pelm. Sorry that's five.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah yeah. Second, I always forget that was Tony Scott for some reason.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't because when you watch it, it's very obvious.
Speaker 2: It's very.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's true, it's true. Yeah, okay, So my number five is also a Tony Scott movie. It is Deja Vu. What an impossibly perfect movie. Yes, Like I so the first time I watched this, I gave it I think like a seven out of ten or something, which is still quite high, but like you know, crazy, right, And then I saw like Zach had seen it, and Zach gave it like super high, like a nine out of ten. I was like, that's strange, so unusual that you'd like this more than I did. And then I rewatched it and I gave it a ten, and I was like, this is perfect. What the fuck was I on when I first watched?
Speaker 2: This is so good?
Speaker 3: Like deja vu is just so beautiful. It is like that's the word I would describe it. That's it's it's beautiful. It's got like I mean one, The esthetic of it is just gorgeous. It has like all of those very mellow blue and greens, but also like these these oranges and yellow tinges to them. It's very hazy, kind of like a dream, absolutely gorgeous. Tony Scott crafted the aesthetic of this so so well, and I think this might be the peak of his like two thousand style. And yeah, Denzel, he gets to do everything that he's good at in this movie. He gets to be charming and intimidating. He gets to do like sweeping monologues, but he also gets to do like smaller passionate line deliveries, and he's charismatic and funny he's just a quintessential Denzel character. Like everything that Denzel is good at is in this movie is in this performance. And again, like we always said, the cast for this is super good. There's like Adam Goldberg and Matt Craven, Elden Henson, El Fanning, Val Kilmer's in this movie. Bruce Greenwood's in this movie for like one scene. You know, it's so good. And yeah, the concept is crazy because like the sci fi aspect of this movie creeps up on you if you didn't know it was like a sci fi movie because it's just a regular kind of detective procedural thing for a while. And then you know, they start bullshitting him about like the technology that they have. And I love that the movie kind of trusts the audience to be on the same wavelength because we're hearing it and you're sitting there going like, doesn't sound right. That sounds like bullshit to me. And then it's when so when he finally gets to call it out and he does like the big speech you know, where he smashes the monitor and he's like the monitor is dead, so now is she dead or alive? And he's doing that whole thing it's so good and it feels so like cathartic as an audience. Yeah, it's brilliant. It doesn't bother trying to explain too much of it to you. It is very much like just an emotional ride. And there's one like car scene, the car chase with the helmet on. Anyone's seeing the movie knows the exact scene. It is one of the most inventive and fun car chase scenes I've ever seen in my life. There is nothing else like it.
Speaker 2: It's so good, best directed scenes that he ever did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's and this movie just has such a like an empathetic camera like that every shot feels so in love with with the moment and every emotion that every actor and every character is feeling, that camera picks up in perfect quality. Yeah, it's it's brilliant. I love it so much.
Speaker 2: It's very good, which is why I'll talk about it in a few minutes. My number four is one that you already spoke on. I don't really have a ton to add, but I actually have John Q here at number four. This movie it's just so personal, I think is the best way to put this. And being a quintessential American through and through film about fuck the healthcare system.
Speaker 3: We're all screwed.
Speaker 2: It just means so much. It's like, it's why I saw six as one of my favorite Saw movies. It's the conceit of the healthcare system is killing all of us and we're all just along for the ride is wild, and it's it's leading to it's the fact that the movie John Q. Is relatable for people is terrifying. That's probably the way I should end that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this is like, how you know, John Q Is so good though, So I have it on a five star. It's seven, you know, out of fifty six. It used to be three, but like a lot's happened. Yeah, And I've never struggled with any of like any of that because we have the NHS, God bless and I don't know anyone personally that has ever dealt with anything like that. It's not even you know, within my rum of possibility. And it's still powerful to me, you know, a complete outsider of the situation. So it Yeah, it's a very very powerful movie.
Speaker 2: It is. I love it so much. Your number four, my.
Speaker 3: Number four is training Day, which you spoke about briefly earlier. Training Day is so good, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was it yesterday. I think it was yesterday other day before I rewatched Training Day, and after I watched it, I was like, fuck, that was so good, And I went upstairs and I watched like a bunch of videos on Training Day. It's funny you mentioned in your like little segment that like, this movie you know is Denzel and there's not. But originally, when the original director was attached to it, it was going to be Matt Damon and Sam Jackson, which I don't think works at all, No, like at all, Like I don't think Matt Damon is dweedy enough that Ethan Hawk could pull off at this time, and Sam Jackson couldn't pull off evil enough.
Speaker 2: I think. Well, and just like Ethan Hawk could not have done it if it was like ten years later. He was on that fool and polished by then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like at this very specific time, they needed Ethan Hawk, which Denzel really pushed for behind the scenes, like he really wanted Ethan Hawk for this thing, and he got in the audition and stuff. But yeah, there were so many people attached to the role of Jake before Ethan Hawk. Obviously there was Matt Damon, they offered it to eminem who turned it down because he was doing eight Mile, which is funny because obviously you know doctor Dres in this movie. They considered Tabby Maguire, Freddie Prince Junior, Paul Walker, Scott Speedman, like just a bunch of people, but it was always going to be Ethan Hawk, to be Yea, and yeah, it had to be Denzel, Like he's so terrifying in this movie in such a charming and sort of way. It's like, this is what the devil is. If the Devil was a person, it's Alonzo because he is wicked through and through, but he does it all with the most funny and charismatic like lines and smile and feel to him that like you want to root for him. You think maybe he isn't actually a bad guy. The whole movie, you're like doubting everything that you're seeing and witnessing because he's doing it so charismatically. And yeah, there's a million quotes in this movie, just a million of them. He is like every line he does in this movie is like you can put it on your fridge. It's brilliant, especially that like final scene, the very big speech, which was mostly improvised as well. I remember seeing this clip someone has like the script next to the clip of it, and it's like none of it matches at all. Denzel got way off script for that final scene bit like he's so good at it is such a powerful scene. I quote it all the time. It's brilliant. It's so funny. What's that? This movie just has like some weird stuff going on with Like Macy Gray is in this movie for a scene, like.
Speaker 2: I've seen.
Speaker 3: I've seen her a million times, right, I've seen this movie a million times, and I didn't realize until two days ago that it was Macy Gray and I was like, Fuck, that's Macy Gray. That's crazy. Tom Bereringer is in this movie for like one scene, which who is also in that Flesh and Blood TV movie with Denzel, So there's like there's a little reunite there. This was Terry Cruz's first gig, YEP, because he was working security on the set. Yeah, and there was like I want that to in the shot, which makes sense because he does look terrifying in this movie. They had like real crips on the set as well, like for the authenticity, which is crazy. Even Mendez is so like beautiful in this movie. This was the first time I discovered I had a crush on even Mendez was watching Training Day when I was like thirteen with my brother and I was like, that is the perfect human. That's what perfect people look like. And yeah, it's just such a brilliant movie. Jake is such a fucking muster in the in this movie, he a lot of gets into small PCP on his first day on the job. That's like, come on, man, just get up, just get But you know, like it comes back around and yeah, it's it's such a cathartic ending to the film as well to a movie where like it just feels so miserable, like the entire movie is miserable.
Speaker 2: It's tensible threat.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, it's brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it too. My number three another one that you've already spoke on going hard with a couple of directors here at the end of course, Deja Vu is at number three. I'm glad that you had it to high as well. The one thing I want to add, which you spoke on how they filmed that action scene very specifically, the whole movie is about this very exploding and the beauty that he captures in the actual explosion in this is wild and something we are sorely missing in movies in twenty twenty five, just like the practical No, that's that is an actual fairy on a river being fucking exploded and it looks amazing shot so wonderfully. Absolutely wanted to highlight that because he deserves it. Deja vu. It feels like DejaVu, because I would just want to say everything that you said again. But for a movie like this, with that type of conceit of the whole time playing with time thing, way better than just like reading the synopsis, it's so much better than you think it would be. Yeah, it's it's a masterpiece. Love it ten out of ten. Perfect movie. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's a single director that does like explosions better than Tony Scott. I just don't. There's not a single one. He's so fantastic of those action stuff. And yeah, that the fairy explosion is brilliant. The whole intro to the fairy explosion is just incredible because it's a looks like a nature documentary like and the.
Speaker 2: Choices that he made, like to go from shot to shot to shot to actually be like, oh, here's what we're doing. Oh shit, like yeah, such a perfect setup for that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like he's more just set in a scene just for like characters to walk into. Yep, you know, yeah, it's so good, brilliant movie.
Speaker 2: Yep, number three.
Speaker 3: Number three is my favorite Tony Scott movie. Actually just in general, it is Crimson Tide. I love. I love Crimson Tide so much. This might be the Denzel movie I have seen the most ooh interesting. Yeah, I put on Crimson Tide all the time. Gorgeous movie, absolutely beautiful, Like this is where, like Tony Scott I felt, was starting to really play with colors, Like there are so many like bright reds and greens and blues and stuff in what should be realistically a very dull environment because it's inside a submarine pretty much the entire runtime. And yeah, this is the second time the Hackman and Denzel work together. They work together in a Sydney Lumette movie called Power, which is ungodly boring. And yeah, it's like just too titan acting against each other, not even with like it feels like they're competing in every scene to have the better performance and it does depend on the scene who is actually doing it. And it has like so much to say about like old ideologies versus new ideologies and the passing of torches and how we come to those agreements. It's so tense. It is maybe one of the most tense movies I've ever seen in my life. I have seen it a million times, and I still every time I'm watching it feel like I don't know how this is gonna end. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong, and yeah, it just has like some of the best performances. Again, the cast is ridiculous for this movie. Let me pull up this ridiculous cast. So again we have Matt Craven who shows up a weird amount. There is vig On Mortenson is in this movie, like he's very very young. James Gett Gandalfhini is in this movie as well. He's he's probably the best supporting actor in this movie.
Speaker 2: He is like so.
Speaker 3: Capturing in every single scene that he's in. I never really feel like I know where his character is going, Like it's such like a volatile performance. Yeah, yeah, I love it so much. Beautiful movie, perfect movie. Everyone should say it didn't.
Speaker 2: Make my top ten, but this should be up there for a lot of people. This is this is just outside of mine A great Dad movie. Yeah, not much, just Dad. It's pretty pretty perfect. It's pretty great. My number two is yet again another one that you've mentioned, and yet another Tony Scott that worries me. Man on fire. This movie is so damn good. I appreciated everything that you said about it, so I won't add too much more other than the fact that it's been like widely shared throughout the years that most of the scenes with Denzel and Christopher Walkin were almost entirely improvised. Is stupid. With how good they turned out in this, it should not be anywhere near that good. And yet they both just bring these completely different personalities and bounce off each other wonderfully in the way that they should be. It's like reverse chemistry in a way, and it could have gotten jittery or lost in what they were dealing with each other, but it just ends up being a masterclass in improvising. Denzel is putting on this aura of just I am the man and I'm here to control everything throughout this entire film, because it's a revenge film, Like there's a lot of focus on Fanning in this of course, and supposedly he like fell in love with her acting on this movie even yeah, it's just everything all eyes were on her, but really, at the end of the day, it's him protecting this entire set from start to finish, delivers an amazing movie. I am very due for a rewatch on this one, but this has been high on my Denzel list ever since the moment I saw it. And funny enough, you said Crimson Tid's one that you watch the most. I think The Fire is probably the one from him that I've seen the most threat of years because it is like infinitely rewatchable and just entertaining for moment one. And Tony Stott is a fucking master in this film.
Speaker 3: Tony Scott will do that to you. It's no wonder and also to be Dakuater and Denzel got to link back up in Equalize the Three Yeah, two years ago, which is quite cute.
Speaker 2: Very I'm worried if we're sailing towards the same number one, or.
Speaker 3: If I think we are. But what's made me upset is I know that my number two is not present on your top ten. I was really holding now that we have the same top two. It hurts because I know we're going to have the same top the same number one for sure. It feels like to me and nol brainer, So my number two is American Gangster by Ridley Scott. Yeah, yeah, perfect movie, absolutely perfect. Russell Crowe and Denzel above so equally incredible in this movie. It's so odd to me that for as many times as Denzel linked up with Tony Scott, he's only linked up with Ridley Scott twice now with Gladiator two, but up until Gladiator two just once, especially later on. Yeah, especially like the performance that he gives in American Gangster as well the true story of Frank Lucas, the only intimidating man in a brown suit ever. He looks like a principle for all of this movie, and he is scary as fuck, like Alonso is maybe the scariest character you know, he's ever done. But Frank Lucas is very very close. Like his act, like his nonchalance to violence is horrifying. He is not scared of nothing or no one. The one scene with just Elbert in like on the Street is I'm not gonna spoil that scene, but it's a very very good scene. And he does the craziest thing on the sunniest day in Harlem. It is the sunniest day on the busiest street, and he does not care a single bit. Some of the best performances that Denzel has ever given. I have at least four gifts that I regularly use that come from this movie. Russell Crowe is obviously fantastic in this movie. The cast again, I mean it's a really scott movie, so you know, it's incredible. So like Ti Hotels in this one, Josh Browling, Cuban good Junior, Cuba Gooding, Junior Ted Lavine's in this movie. John Hawk's Rizza is in this movie. I always forget that Rizz is in this movie. It's so weird that he's in this movie. Also Ti in Common above in this movie, which I think is so odd. It just elba as I already mentioned, it's just like Carla Gugina is in this movie. Like it's a ridiculously stacked cast, Like everyone is a star in this movie. And yeah, it's a it's brilliant. It's the only movie I think to this day where like I will only watch the director's cut because I just need more of it. Every time.
Speaker 2: Makes sense. So no, it is not on my top ten. Here's my reasoning. I don't love Russell Crowe. Ever, this is the thing that I like him the most in. I just don't love Russell Crowe. Fine, he's no Ethan Hawk, That's all I'll say.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I think Ethan Hawk is better in Training Day than Russell Crowe is in American Gangster.
Speaker 2: But I get it. I'm glad. I'm glad you love it. No, we don't have the same number two number one? Then are we ready? Yeah? So Spike Lee's Malcolm X. We mean, of course this is first off, if you've never seen it, this is a long movie, but you should still watch it. Don't let that intimidate you.
Speaker 3: Like Trade in a half hours or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's three twenty or three twenty five, nineteen ninety two, directed by Spike Lee. Spike Lee is a big part of this movie, acting as well. But the main three that steal this whole movie Denzel Angela Bassett and the incredible Delroy Lindo. Delroy Lindo first of all, if he's in the movie, he is going to be amazing and no matter what he's in. But the the dedication to telling this story in this way is perfect through and through in this entire thing, all the way down to like the like the iconic recreation of the shot of him looking out the curtains, like goosebumps when it.
Speaker 3: Happens, so natural, because like even if you I remember seeing the still screenshot of that and I you know for a second, you have to process whether it's the real photo or not. It's so uncanny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's seeing that, especially the first time when it was the color screenshot of the still, It's like, huh, it was weird. But yeah, Denzel, obviously he's He's carrying this entire film. He is Malcolm X. He is delivering a performance that will never be topped in his career, couldn't be topped. It's a three and a half hour just perfect, stone cold, absolute, like career best performance from somebody who only delivers career best. So many of Denzel's performances people would dream of having that be their best and it's not even his best, and most of them. Spike is in another planet making this movie. This movie is directed so beautifully, like the style that he gets from many of the shots in this obviously he's always a stylish director, but this one is it's special, Like it captures the time, the zeitgeist, the themes, the emotions, the like, the political holicies in very deep detail that you just don't expect to feel resonate so heavily. I've shown this movie to many, many people, and every single time it's just people memorized, mesmerized. Again. Long movie, but it's one that if you have not seen choose a day any day, make it a time to be able to enrich your life with three and a half hours of Spike because you deserve it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, Also, what I find so fascinating about Malcolm X. I've read Malcolm X's autobiography, which is what this movie is loosely based on. I think I've read it a couple of times because I find Malcolm X just such a fascinating character just in life, you know, in history. He's such an interesting figure, and his life very much does lend itself to a film format because his life really feels like a three act structure, you know, like he starts out with like the gangster stuff and when he was a criminal, and then the second part of his life where you know, he's part of the Nation of Islam and then you know, you have the final part of his life where he leads it leaves the Nation of Islam and stuff like that. And I feel like Malcolm X does get misrepresented a lot in just history tellings and the way people quote him and the way people like talk about him. You know, they they talk about like him and Martin Luther King, like you know, they are two sides of the same that. Yeah, and Malcolm X is just such a layered and interesting person. Like this movie does not pretend that everything that Malcolm X has ever said or ever done is perfect, you know, even when he was like being a civil rights leader, where like everything is kind of that's where his life is highlighted. Even then, Like he had a lot of questionable behaviors, he had a lot of questionable ideologies, and the movie never shies away from any of that. Is it is such an earnest look at such a interesting and layered man in Denzel just crushes every single aspect of it, like every aspect of it. And obviously because it's a long movie, it's a dramatic movie about a very powerful and dramatic figure in life. So you expect it to be kind of like, you know, a very theatrical and dramatic movie, but it also can be very funny. He can also be very lighthearted. The scene where he first gets like that the poem put in or whatever, and you know it like burns his head whatever he has to stick his head in, like the bowl of water or whatever. It's so funny. And when he's wearing like those big extravagant suits with like Spike's character and like they're walking like doing that stupidly, it's like it's so good. And yeah, I don't think Spike could ever top this movie. Like as much as I think Spike Lee is a top tier director, there is something in this movie that just feels beyond him. Yeah, you know, like this could be in Spielberg's catalog and still be considered like the best Spielberg. It could be in William Freedkin's catalog and be considered the best freakin movie. Like it is just something otherworldly and everyone is completely committed to making it as good as it is. And yeah, it's such a powerful and crazy movie.
Speaker 2: I glossed over her kind of but again, Angela Bassett incredible in this movie. Unlike an emotional cornerstone that you really need in some of the scenes that she is delivering in this. Yeah, this movie is beautiful. It is well written too. I god Arnold Pearl and Alex Haley wrote this with Spike, but yeah, great stuff. Like literally through and through in this movie. There's literally nothing I would change, nothing I could take out, nothing I could add, just the the perfect movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I am so beyond words for it. I wanted to rewatch this like before we got to this, but I just didn't have time to watch a three and a half hour movie. But I will be watching it again next week.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I've been trying to show my fiance this movie forever, but as we both known, she's like a TikTok addict, so having her sit down and watch a three and a half hour biopic about Malcolm X is not going down smoothly. But I'll, you know, because we're engaged now, I have a lifetime to weigh you down on this.
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 3: I will get her to watch this eventually, but I will be I'll be watching this again next week. Yeah. It's one of those movies where like I don't rewatch it often because it is just so heavy and it is long, granted, but like as soon as I saw it, I knew it was number one without a doubt, like and that will never shift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna go through a couple that are close on our list because I kind of want to hear what else krit has close as we do that. Anybody that's still watching, did you have a different number one? If it wasn't Malcolm X, what is it? Let me know in the comments? So, I know you mentioned quite a few of mine were in like the thirteen to sixteen range? What else was close? I know your Book of Eli at eleven?
Speaker 3: Where is Book of Ela? It's quite like it's that thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's higher than I expected. I'm gonna be honest. That movie is not good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The thing about that movie is Gary Oldman and Denzel are very good in it. So if you ignore how horrifically ugly and how stupid it is, it is quite fun.
Speaker 2: What an argument for the film it is?
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not kidding. It's the ugliest movie I've ever seen. It's it is abysmal looking, Like I don't, I don't, I couldn't achieve it if I wanted to if I was making a movie, I don't think I could possibly make it look that dog shit. I like, it's the only is the kind of horrific that only comes around on accident. It's yeah, it's crazy. Anyway, Right, we'll go from We'll go from twenty five and I'll just like shoot. So twenty five we have Remembered the Titans. Twenty four is the Equalizer two, which is the highest, my favorite Equalizer movie. Then we have Antoine Fisher highest to lowest at twenty two.
Speaker 2: Pretty high. Nice. Yeah.
Speaker 3: At twenty one we have The Taking of Pelham one, two, three, and then entering the top twenty we have Cry Freedom. At nineteen we have Much Ado About Nothing, which is my one of my favorite Shakespeare adaptations ever, again you know, tracing back Denzel doing Shakespeare. And then at eighteen we have a really really underrated one which is a soldier story.
Speaker 2: This is the main one that I was going to bring up as you were done, because I think you're gonna mention it. The soldier story is super underrated. Oh yeah, really great movie.
Speaker 3: Far more people need to see a soldier story. Denzel's like not even he's barely supporting. He's in like two or three scenes, but like still really good in it, but the whole movie is like very very good. At seventeen, we have Inside Man. Like we said, I forgot to say this when you were talking about this, but like you were, you were saying like that Spike avoids what this movie could have been in the other hands. And I was going to say that if Inside Man was made today, it would be a Netflix movie. Yep, it would just be straight Netflix and it would have some nameless director that Netflix knew they could just control with like just a very boring and unoriginal cast, and it would have nowhere near the flavor that this movie does. Spike Lee and its cast really save it. So Yeah, sixteen is Glory. Fifteen is Philadelphia, which I was shocked wasn't in your top ten because every time I talk to people about Denzel movies, Philadelphia is always in their top ten, and I thought I was going to get flacked for not having it in there. Fourteen is Devil in a Blue Dress. Thirteen is The Hurricane, which is, yeah, one of the most underrated Denzel movies ever, directed by Norman Jewison, who also did another dnsalm. He did a soldier story, yep. But yeah, it's about a real life boxer, Rubin Carter, Ruben the Hurricane Carter, who was wrongly in prison for murder, and it's about like his trial of like getting out of prison and stuff. It's a it's a very very very good movie if you haven't seen it. At twelve is Gladiator two and eleven is one that I've really was shocked wasn't in your top five? Really, Fences.
Speaker 2: It's good. It's just it's not the top ten. It's not It's not that special for me. I think.
Speaker 3: Granted, Fences is it's based on a play, right, It's directed by Denzil based on a play that he did. I am a big theater guy, not like musical kind of Broadway theater, but like real just like stage acting theater, and I loved Fences already as a stage play, so I was bound to love this, especially with like Viola Davis's performance in this movie, who I think again is one of the few times where Denzel gets out acted. I think Viola Davis eats him up in that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah that makes sense, only to all shout out, since you brought up soldier story, Uh, these are nowhere near the top ten, but I feel like are massively underrated. In his filmography. Courage Underfire is pretty damn good, a big one. I feel like people just forget exist. Ricochet is he was.
Speaker 3: Gonna say Ricke. I'm I was like looking at it at my screen. I was like, he's gonna say Ricochet. Yeah, Rickochet is so fucking good, dude.
Speaker 2: I Well, the big thing is I love John Lithgow, So anything with John Lithgow is already like, oh okay, so it's a three star film even if you suck it up. And Ricochet is like pretty damn good.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, Rickochet is so fun. Dude's still iced tea in that movie.
Speaker 2: And it's got that scene at the outside wherever it is where Denzel is holding the gun on him and like completely disrobes to show that he's such like he's just so freaking bold. I gotta love that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, Ricochet is so much fun.
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 3: Because I'm looking at my thing his The Magnificent Seven, that Antoine Fuqua remake. Yeah, I actually like it a lot. I know, like because people love the original Magnificent Seven and it's seventh Samurai whatever. Some people don't love this one as much, but I think if you just take it in a vacuum and not as a remake of what people consider a perfect movie, it is a really fun time. It's one of the few times as well where Chris Pratt is like actually really bearable. He's like quite charismatic in it. And also it reunites Ethan Hawk and Denzel True True.
Speaker 2: I love the phrase really bearable. That's like when I buy that shirt, my size is extra medium. Yeah, baking of shirt. Ronnie wants to know what your British shirt is.
Speaker 3: It's just a shirt, which is Yeah. I didn't even buy this from US, so I ordered this.
Speaker 2: Just so you know.
Speaker 3: I didn't see this in the world. I searched for this just just so we all know.
Speaker 2: Oh, chrit, I love it.
Speaker 3: What else is good? I think the Mighty Quinn. I think a lot more people would like The Mighty Quinn. It's super underrated. Yeah, he has like a Jamaican accent. He basically plays like a detective trying to Yeah, he's doing like an investigation in Jamaica. And it's really really good. Also, like it has the you know, the what's that boring guy's name from the Complete Unknown.
Speaker 2: The Boring Guy for the completed note, that's really funny.
Speaker 3: The guys based on what's his fucking l there we go bobbed him. He has the song the Mighty Quick but they do like a remix of it and it's really nice. So yeah, that's very good as well.
Speaker 2: This has been really fun. We had a lot more crossover than I expected. Yeah, it's good stuff. Literally one of the greatest actors of all time. If you haven't seen any of our top tens, please do. Absolutely worth watching all of them, but I get it. A lot of Denzel in a short period of time is intimidating, but so worth it, so worth it.
Speaker 3: I do think I watched fifty six of them in a month, and then the last week another Yeah, another ten in the past couple of days.
Speaker 2: Well, everybody goes subscribe to krit at the link in the description below, Like I said, to go subscribe to the Patreon. Got that link down there, about to start teasing a bunch of stuff. On that note, krit, thanks for hanging out again. This is what number three that we've done this. I think.
Speaker 3: It's I just show when I'm cold.
Speaker 2: Listen to this on a podcast later it'd be like, what was that sound. I'm not going to tell you because it was that amazing. Go watch the video.
Speaker 3: I don't know. We say let's do a show, and then I show up and then that's that's.
Speaker 2: What we did. It happens two and a half months later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, no, I do really enjoy being here. I enjoyed this format. I don't really get to do this format ever. I don't go on podcasts or anything. No one invites me anywhere. So this is a you know, it's nice to get out of the house shirt, it's lovely to get out the house and stuff.
Speaker 2: So well, thanks everybody for hanging out. Tod all the opinions, I mean, love love hearing everybody else loving all these and it's Denzil, so it's I mean, you could have thirty different answers and none of them are really gonna be wrong because they kind of all those great stuff. So it's been a good night. On that note, next Thursday is the first Thursday of the month, so doctor will we'll be back. So let's all brace up for that and we'll see you next week. Chrit, thanks for hanging out, see you next time. Thank you for watching the Disconnected on the way out, make sure that you are a subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 5: Have you ever wanted to dive deeper into the horror movies you love? Beyond the Blood is a horror podcast for fans who want more than just service level screams. We do deep dives into the movies that shaped us, digging into director commentaries, behind the scenes stories, deleted scenes, and the special features that most people skip. Each episode is a love letter to the genre. We break down how these films were made, the creative risks that paid off or didn't, and the lasting impact they've had on the genre as a whole. From seventy Slashers to modern nightmares, we celebrate the craft, chaos, and characters that keep us coming back. If you're the kind of fan who rewatches movies with the commentary on, or you simply grew up in the video store horror isle, the Beyond the Blood Podcast was made for you. New episodes every single week. Subscribe, Let's dig deep. Welcome to the Beyond the Blood Podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. To hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network, please select the link in the description