Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock on your Monday morning wake up Call. October twenty eighth, we're into the week of all Helloz. That's just such a creepy, creepy, creepy, creepy creepy beam. I love it, Absolutely love it. We're gonna have a lot of Halloween fun this week. Right now, we're gonna have some fun because it's time to get going. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. So show is good to go. Dodgers Superstar Show. Hey Otani is in the lineup for tonight's Game three of the World Series in New York. Otani got hurt trying to steal second during Saturday Nights forty two win over the Yankees at Dodger Stadium. Manager Dave Roberts says, as long as though Tani feels good, there's no reason he won't play. The Dodgers lead the best of seven game series two games to none. Israeli missile strikes against Iran have apparently hit a nuclear testing facility. Experts told Reuters that Saturday's airstrike appears to have hit a building that was part of Iran's nuclear weapons development program. The Israeli missiles also hit a massive military complex near Tehran and a missile production site. With eight days to go until the election, polls show the race between former President Trump and Vice President Harris is basically tied both nationally and in the battleground states that are going to decide the election. The latest CNBC poll finds Trump has a two point lead over Harris. Trump leads on economic issues, Harris leads on character issues. We're gonna catch up with both campaigns. We're gonna be talking with ABC's Stephen Portnoy at five point thirty and actually at five to twenty, and then ABC's Karen Travers at the bottom of the hour. And did you know that bees do more than pollinate our world? They say veterans, yep. Beads are amazing. We're going to be telling you how and how you can get involved when we talk with the Valley Hives Keith Roberts this morning about an event being held at the Valley Hive for the veterans. It's called Share the Buzz. Really super cool and a great way to support veterans. At six h five, it's handle on the news. Iran is accusing the US of being involved in the Israeli air strikes on Tehran over the weekend. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Three men have been found dead inside a house that caught fire and Temple City. Two other people were taken to the hospital hospital yesterday with critical injuries. La County Sheriff's Lieutenant Hugo Renaga says the fire is believed to have been arson.
Speaker 4: During the investigation, or shortly about an hour after. An individual arrived on scene spoke to the deputies and he's a Mandarin speaker, so there's been some language barrier and right now he's a person of interest.
Speaker 1: A neighbor says she heard yelling and saw the whole house on fire. She says she saw the two injured elderly men walk out of the home, at least one with serious burns. The film and TV industry could get a big boost from the state.
Speaker 5: Governor Newsom unveiled a propose expansion of the tax credit, which started in two thousand and nine and intended to incentivize the production of films and TV shows in California. It would more than double the credit from three hundred and thirty million dollars to seven hundred and fifty million. Newsom says the expansion would invest in the future of the industry and make it more competitive with states like Georgia New York, where many filmmakers have relocated their productions in favor of larger tax credits. Program would go into effect as early as June twenty twenty five, pending approval from the state legislature. Other Brooker Kafin news.
Speaker 1: The quarter pounder is back on the menu at McDonald's following an E. Coli outbreak that made at least seventy five people sick in thirteen states and killed one person in Colorado. Adriy ABC's Andrew Dimbert says McDonald's claims testing has ruled out beef patties as the source of the outbreak.
Speaker 6: McDonald says the FDA believes slivered onions from a single supplier, Taylor Farms, are the likely source, and we remain very confident that any contaminated product related to this outbreak has been removed from our supply chain and is out of all McDonald's restaurants.
Speaker 1: He says. The FDA is still working to confirm the onions were the source. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts says show Hey Otani is expected to play in tonight's Game three of the World Series, despite a shoulder injury from Game two.
Speaker 7: That's my expectation, given talking to talk to the training staff and getting the reports, and so I just know if it's a per tolerant situation, I just don't see him not playing Game.
Speaker 1: Three me either. Roberts says the final decision will be based on Otani's performance in workouts. Otani injured the shoulder on Saturday trying to steal second base unsuccessfully. Roberts called it a possible sublocation subluxation. It's basically a partially dislocated shoulder. Game three is tonight in New York. First pitch goes out at five eight. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jordana Miller. Jordana in Jerusalem. Jordana, Israel's retaliatory attack on Iran was just the beginning of violence this weekend. What all happened.
Speaker 8: In the pre dawn hours on Saturday. Israel carried out very intense strikes on Iranian military targets. Important to say that Israel did not hit the nuclear site or the oil fields. That was what, By the way, the United States and the Biden administration had been urging Israel to stay away from, fearing that it would really bring the region to, you know, a wider war and a direct war between Israel and Iran. Israel appears to have rained in its attack. It hit several military bases from Tehran to share Rads to the Secretive part In military base, and it hit the Israeli say missile production facilities, ballistic missile depots, drones as well and air defense systems. And the satellite imagery that we're beginning to see appears to back those claims and shows damage in several military bases Iran.
Speaker 9: So far, they haven't really.
Speaker 8: Come out with an aggressive statement vowing a direct strike to retaliate, so that's good news, but that could change in the days ahead, and we're going to just have to wait and see what the regime ultimately decides to do. They're still kind of sizing up the damage.
Speaker 1: So will So you're saying that Iran will decide whether to retaliate against the retaliation based on how much damage is done.
Speaker 10: That's right.
Speaker 9: I think they're sizing They're trying.
Speaker 8: To figure out how much damage was done, and you take into consideration other calculations. And so far we've heard again kind of moderate statements. We heard, for example, the Supreme Leader Ayatola jome Ma, who in the past has threatened very severe punishment, for example against Israel. For example, the leader of Kamas was killed on Irani and soil It's Malhammea. After a general was killed in Damascus, after Habala's leader was killed, we heard very very strong threats. That has not happened this time. Hamene instead said, you know, uh, you know, we have a right to self defense. What happens should neither be you know, dismissed or exaggerated. This morning we heard a little bit more strident comments from the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, General Salami, who said there will be quote unquote bitter consequences, but again not the same level of threats of a direct response on Israel.
Speaker 9: But that doesn't that doesn't mean it won't happen.
Speaker 8: It just seems that right now, Ron is quite you know, they haven't they're not threatening that, and they appear to be assessing the damage. They have been weakened and left vulnerable, and you know, they need to make a decision about whether further escalating this confrontation with Israel serves their interest. There are plenty of analysts here in Israel and abroad and in the United States who say this should be the end for Ran. They should, you know, they should come down from the tree and for now call this back and forth, you know, the end of this cycle of violence. And you know, Israel also has other interests. They need to wind down the war in Gaza, they need to finish what's happening in Lebanon. This isn't really the time for Israel either to go to war with Iran head to head.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Jordana, I got some information from Reuters. Just wanted to check on you because you said that they did not hit oil or nuclear but there is a report from Reuters that they hit a building that was part of Iran's nuclear weapons development program, like a nuclear testing facility or something like that. Is that accurate? Or not accurate or do you know yet?
Speaker 8: Routers is referring to the part In Military base, which was a secretive base that in the past, we're talking a decade ago, was used to test nuclear to test nuclear weapons, but it's not it's no longer considered part of around current secret weapons programs.
Speaker 9: Those sites are four dough.
Speaker 8: Right, Those are other other sites now and not parts and Partian is believed that what the Israelis hit was part of testing even now for ballistic missiles, which is you know what Alon used to attack Israel and what they wanted to take out, both their arsenal and their ability to make them gotcha?
Speaker 1: Okay? And then you mentioned Gaza. So Egypt now has an idea for a very temporary ceasepire, what how long and what would be the point of that.
Speaker 11: Thing?
Speaker 9: A two day these five.
Speaker 8: With the release of four live Israeli hostages and dozens of Palestinians jails here in Israel released and a commitment by the size to continue talking to extend those first two days of a pause. Unfortunately, though it's grabbing headlines, it's not doesn't appear to be making a difference in Hamas and the ranks of Hamas. They need to agree on a partial agreement, and they're still putting out a very strong line that they'll only agree to a comprehensive deal.
Speaker 9: End of the war, all of the Israeli troops out.
Speaker 8: So this Egyptian proposal doesn't seem to have many legs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it doesn't seem like Hamas has moved off of that stance one iota in the last.
Speaker 9: Year, right, which is pretty depressing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, jar Donna Miller, thank you so much for the information, the update. We appreciate it. We'll talk to you soon. It started with some of the or no, let's continue with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man in La has been shot in the arm, allegedly by a neighbor during an argument about a break in and a stolen dog. Police say the man left his neighbor's door yesterday when he realized he'd been hit, and walked to the front of the apartment complex to wait for police to get there. The woman who allegedly shot him was arrested. A sixteen year old boy in still Mar has been hurt jumping off a seventy five foot high high voltage tower. Firefighters say the boy was having what was called a psychological emergency. He was taken to a trauma center. His condition is not known. Relatives of fallen LAPD officers have condemned the remarks of Isabel Herado, who's running to replace La City Councilman Kevin d Lyon, for saying f the police during a forum with college students it was a sloa Herodo's comment was caught on tape and released earlier this month. The LA Police protectively has demanded an apology and urged Toronto to withdraw from the election. She put out a statement saying she understands the pain that families feel after the loss of a loved one and that the memories of fallen officers can be honored, while also pushing for accountability and equity in policing and real investment in LA communities. A man in Orange County claims to have won a forty four million dollar powerball jack Popp says he hasn't seen any cash. The man says he bought tickets at his local routes in August and it was exciting to see his numbers come up, but he says the process is really horrible for a winner of any big lotto prize. He says lottery officials won't say when the prize will be paid out. A state lottery official says the fastest a winner might get paid is four weeks, but that doesn't happen very often. Police have warned Dodgers fans not to break the law when celebrating the home team's win against in the World Series. You know what I was trying to say. Right after the team won Game two on Saturday night, fans shut down Whittier Boulevard in East La. The street takeover featured cars doing donuts, fireworks going off, and eventually deputies moving in to shut things down. Family members of several LAPD officers killed in the line of duty are calling for Isabel Hirado to drop out of the race for La City Council. The relatives say Herado's words about police are offensive and could be dangerous to the city of La. Public Works crews in San Bernardino are preparing for storm season, in which there could be flooding and mud flows in the burn scar of the fire that burned forty four thousand acres in the mountains this summer, a trash track is being installed in Cook Canyon to filter debris from storm runoff, and almost one hundred cameras are being installed so officials can monitor conditions. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Another major newspaper has declined to endorse a presidential candidate, and people are not happy about it. Right now, let's talk about that. Those presidential candidates. We're checking in with ABC's Steven Portnoy. Stephen, you get to go first today instead of Kara. With just over a week until the election, both candidates moving along full steam ahead. Former President Trump making a play for a state that hasn't been won by Republicans since Reagan.
Speaker 12: Well, I mean, look, he is appearing. He appeared last night in New York City. He was, you know, basking in the adulation of at least nineteen thousand people. I'm not sure exactly how many people they fit into Madison Square Garden, but it holds nineteen thousand, five hundred. The idea here is that he's, you know, trying to put forward an image of him playing in New York. But you're absolutely right to note that the last time the state went blue was nineteen eighty four and Ronald Reagan's second run, so it's been forty years. I think it's meant to demonstrate that he has a base of support and can fill a large arena, even in the bluest parts of the country. We'll see if it really does put some of those Northeastern states in play. What the crowd saw last night was not just Trump for about an hour and twenty minutes, you know, performing his greatest hits, but also a pre show that's gotten a lot of attention because of some of the lewde racist, vulgar, obscene remarks that were made to the rally crowd. And obviously the big headline is what this one comic said about Puerto Rico. That has gotten attention because you know, the possible impact on Latino voters. But beyond that, some of these things that were said last night are simply not appropriate to be repeated on morning radio. There's another joke at this comic gave about how Latino men enter the country that I cannot repeat because it's inappropriate for children. Okay, but you can find it yourself and you might undoubtedly will agree with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't understand. I mean, like the guy can say what he wants and maybe do they go over all of their material or is he just trying to get the shock value? Like why would he do that? I bet the Trump team isn't very happy with him.
Speaker 12: Well, they're not because they're distancing themselves from it. And not just in a statement last night, but in an interview on Fox News this morning, a Trump campaign spokesperson saying that this is not reflective of Trump's views and or the campaign's views. You've got Rick Scott, the Republican senator from Florida who's hoping to win his second term up against a woman who was of Ecuadorian descent, and he's saying that what the comic said is not funny and not true. And again, the Puerto Rico joke is as offensive as it might be to Puerto Ricans to be told that you come from an island of garbage, it's relatively anodyne compared to some of the other things that were said last night, such as Jews don't like throwing paper or money down, that Kamala Harris presides over a party full of Jew haters, that Kamala Harris herself is the devil and the antichrist, and you can perhaps point fingers as these days in politics everyone is wont to do and say, oh, but you should listen to some of the horrible things that Trump Democrats say about Trump and his supporters. Well, that's fine, but it's hard to have the moral high ground when you have a rally that features rhetorics such.
Speaker 1: As this, Yeah, I wish they'd both just knock it off. And were all of those comments from that comedian or.
Speaker 12: No, this is a variety of people Trump's friends, you know, people who have associated themselves with Trump, and so it was a litany of things over the course of several hours of pre show programming.
Speaker 1: Crazy and I heard that there were like a ton of people outside too try and they couldn't get in.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I would look.
Speaker 12: I mean Trump made reference to that that there were people lined up, He said all the way to the Hudson River, which would be I think probably about a half mile long. I don't know whether that was the case, but lots and lots of people. And it's not all that surprising when you look at the electoral map, where I should say maps of counties in and around New York City, you've got long Island, Staten Island, various parts of northern and central New Jersey, and some of downstate New York where you have and certainly upstate New York deep red pockets. And so the idea that these states in the majority vote blue disregards the idea that they are even in just as there, it's true in Orange County and Los Angeles County. There are plenty of Trump's supporters in those places, and so when Trump holds a rally, he can easily pack Madison Square guard.
Speaker 1: Especially if you just hold one. Sure, So where's he headed to next?
Speaker 12: Today? Trump has two events in Georgia, in and around Atlanta. There's the afternoon remarks to a gathering of faith leaders and evening rally in Atlanta tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, Stephen Bortinoy, thank you so much for keeping us up to date on what's happening on the trail. You bet all right, talk to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Temperatures are expected to start dropping as a cold low pressure system moves into southern California from the Gulf of Alaska. Forecasters say it'll bring gusty wins and maybe even some rain today in places. Meteorology Philip Gonzalez is the drop in temperatures will be significant.
Speaker 8: Temperatures in Orange County won't get out of the sixties even an inn an Orange County, and likewise Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Scattered rain will develop tonight and linger through tomorrow, but amounts are expected to just be like a tenth of an inch or less in most places. I think it's a nice reprieve. It's felt so much like summer for so long. It's kind of nice to have a little dip. I might even get out a sweater or two. A person who's been injured jumping from a second floor window of an apartment building that caught fire. Firefighters say the fire happened on Reno Street south of Beverly Boulevard around eleven yesterday morning. The jumper's condition is not known. A pedestrian and a motorcycle rider have been killed in a crash in Ventura County. The HPIE says officers got reports of a crash yesterday on Highway one to eighteen west of Rocky Peak Road in moor Park. They found an empty car in the center median and a man and a woman on the gra nearby. Investigators say it looks like the woman got into a crash, hit the right guard rail, which spun the car out of control across all the westbound lanes and hit the median, So then she got out of her car, and officials say that's when she was standing on the side of the road in the first lane and got hit by the motorcycle. And Israeli citizen has crashed a truck into a bus stop in Tel Aviv, killing one person and injuring forty others. Officials have called it a possible terrorist attack. The crash yesterday happened a day after Israel's retaliatory strike on Iran. A proposed vending machine at LAPD headquarters downtown would offer police.
Speaker 13: Merch THELA Police Foundation, a nonprofit that raises money for and contributes to the LAPD, says it wants to put the vending machine right in the lobby of the headquarters building on First Street. It would sell branded hats, t shirts, jewelry and other merchandise, with the proceeds going back to the foundation. But the no cost agreement requires city approval, and the full city Council will have to consider it without a formal recommendation from the Government Operations Committee. That's because council Woman Unsses Hernandez voted against it, while council Woman in Melda Padilla voted for it. Councilman Heather Hut was absent, so a tie vote means no endorsement. In Downtown, La, Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News, Governor Newsom has unveiled a plan to expand California's entertainment tax credit program. The plan would increase incentives for film and TV production companies from three hundred and thirty million to seven hundred and fifty million dollars. It comes as Hollywood faces increasing competition from other production hubs across the country. It'll need to be approved by the legislature. A federal judge has denied a request from Sean Combe's lawyers to place a gag order on government agencies investigating his sex trafficking and racketeering case. The judge's order on Friday. In it, he said he had not found any evidence of wrongdoing. The judge also said both sides are expected to abide by existing laws, which prohibit lawyers or investigators from revealing information that would interfere with a fair trial. Venom. The Last Dance has topped the box office, taking in about fifty one million dollars in its opening weekend. It's number one, but the lowest grossing of the three movie trilogy at six so five to tendle on the news quarter Pounders coming back and again at five point fifty. What's the buzz at the Valley Hive? A chance for you to have a great night out and help veterans. Tell you about that right now, let's say good morning too, ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, vice president Harris is very strong with women, but has some issues with men. So how is she combatting that?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I heard that pun. I heard that pitch pun earlier.
Speaker 11: That was very clever.
Speaker 1: I know Cono is so good at those things.
Speaker 11: Very good.
Speaker 14: Yes, And then that's exactly what they're doing right now. You know, they're over the weekend doing a lot of targeted outreach to sports fans in battleground states. They had specific ads that were running during football games in the Wisconsin market, the Philadelphia market during the Eagles game, during the Pittsburgh Steelers game yesterday, and also running in Detroit. And they were using words that Donald Trump has said about those cities. You know, bad things happen in Philadelphia, him calling Milwaukee a horrible city, saying Detroit's a mess, things like that to rev up people in those cities by tapping into their civic pride, you know, their pride of sports fans, so a lot of sports imagery, a lot of fighting, fighting, you know, literally in the Philadelphia add lots of fighting because that's what they do there. I can say that I'm from Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 14: But you know, it was a very specific message. Are you going to see that this week on television? No, it was really geared towards those sports audiences over the weekend. But you know, you do mention like there is so much focus on the gender gap right now and what we're seeing in polls, what we're seeing in early voting, and you know, I think it was also notable to see former First Lady Michelle Obama over the weekend. She was out with the Vice President in Michigan, big big event in Michigan. The first time we've seen Michelle Obama on the campaign trail, and when she was talking about rep deductive rights, it was not just a message to women voters. She was tailoring that message to men, and that's something we haven't seen many Democratic surrogates do. So I think they really are trying to key in on mail voters over the next couple of days as we get toward election day. And you know, it's really all about trying to shore up certain groups. But they obviously have concerns about.
Speaker 1: Some right, So I would be very interested, Karen, and I don't know how they could possibly track it, but you know how like sports is sort of an escape, yes, and so if I'm inundated by presidential ads during my football game, yeah, I am not going to be happy.
Speaker 14: I will say this, having been in Philadelphia recently and watching sports with family and friends, you know, watching college football on a Saturday, watching a Phillies game back, you know when they were still in You're getting it. Anyway, it's everywhere. You cannot escape any campaign political ads in a battleground state. It doesn't matter or what you're watching, unless you're watching something on DBR where you're fast forwarding, or you're watching something you're going to see it on streaming. It's everywhere they are going to find you. So you know, I think, yes, sports is certainly a scape and escape, but you can't escape the political ads right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I know you got to run. But she held a rally with Beyonce. Was that Friday?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Friday night.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard anything about it.
Speaker 14: Main terms feels like a million years ago because so many things have happened since then. It got a lot of attention that night and into Saturday morning. You know, it was not in a battleground state. It was in Texas, and obviously Texas is not a state that they think they're going to win, but there was a message there about reproductive rights, calling you ground zero for that central issue for their campaign. They went there to try and rev up voters by you know, it's a social media event too, of you know, it's not just playing in Texas, it plays across the nation because of how widespread those clips end up being over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well, thank you for the update, and we got eight days to go. We'll talk again soon. Absolutely. All right, let's get back to some the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Former President Trump has announced some new policies at a rally at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Speaker 13: I will support a tax credit for family caregivers who take care of a parent or a loved one.
Speaker 1: It's about time that they will recognize right. Trump told the crowd yesterday those caregivers add so much to the country but are never acknowledged. He also said he'll make interest on car loans fully tax deductible, but only for cars made in America. NATO says North Korean troops are being sent to Russia to fight Ukraine and that some have already been deployed. US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said last week that about three thousand North Korean troops were getting training in Russia. The president of Ukraine has called on allies to increase pressure on Russia. Scientists that uc Irvine have moved a step closer to uncovering the mysterious origins of Parkinson's disease.
Speaker 15: When proteins build up in the brain, causing loss of control of body functions, but researchers say that process starts in the gut. The results come from a uc Irvine lab that studies the trillions of microbes in every person's gut that are not genetically related to that person. The lab found protein chunks form in the intestine as a result of E. Coli bacteria, then travel up a nerve to the brain. Researchers say, now the goals to find a way to stop those chunks from forming, which could prevent Parkinson's in Orange County Corbin Carson kf I News.
Speaker 1: Of course, it was a big weekend for the Dodgers, winning Games one and two of the World Series at Dodgers Stadium, and Friday night one of the most epic moments ever in baseball.
Speaker 10: The Yankees three, the Dodgers two. The bases are loaded too out bottom of the tenth thitting the scenario you dream about. Freddy is living first pitch, swinging high fly ball did.
Speaker 1: And I love La plays immediately, I love.
Speaker 15: Sandling is inner clerk getson, oh, walk up home run in Game one of the World Series, Hey, walk up.
Speaker 1: Run, fleam that look play.
Speaker 14: Winners six to three.
Speaker 1: That was amazing. Then last not last night, but Saturday night, more of a nail bider, because man, the Yankees just kept getting a lot of guys on base and then we'd have to get out of a pinch. But they did it, and we're leading two games to none. The first pitch tonight for Game three the World Series between the Dodgers and Yankees, goes out at five oh eight. We've got coverage beginning at four o'clock live from Yankee ste and you can listen to all the games on AM five to seventy LA Sports and inn HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports, presented in part by the seasoning partner of the Dodgers' chef, Marito Seasoning. It's game time, so bring out the chef and you. More than forty one million votes have already been cast in this year's presidential election. The University of Florida's Election Lab says nearly half of the early voting ballots have been cast in person. Slightly more of those who voted early were a registered Democrat compared to Republicans. Ten percent more women than men have voted early so far. A sixteen year old boy has jumped from a seventy five foot high voltage tower in Silmar, LA fire Sys. The teen was experienced what was described as a psychological emergency. A rescue cushion had been set up by the tower on Silver Oaks Drive, east of the five freeway, but the boy didn't land in it. He was taken to the hospital. His condition is not known. The home, owned by Friends star Matthew Perry, has been sold to a movie producer and real estate developer for about eight and a half million dollars. The house is a four bedroom, thirty five hundred square foot mid century modern home. Perry died last October of a drug overdose at the age of fifty four. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, former President Biden says Elon Musk has broken the law and it has to do with immigration. Tell you about that right now. Let's say good morning to the owner and co founder of the Valley Hive in SeeMe Valley. It's Keith Roberts. Good morning, Keith, morning Amy.
Speaker 11: It's so good to talk to you again. And it's Chatsworth. Not quite see me, it's Chatsworth like before you get to see me, gotcha, but yes, on the way to see me value again you got it?
Speaker 1: Okay? So yeah, because last time we talked, I was out at your place and you took me for a little tour, took me into the hive and I met a bunch of bees. And didn't get stung once. It was very exciting for me. But tell us now, Keith, because we want to hear about how bees are going to help veterans. I love this story.
Speaker 9: Okay, so a.
Speaker 11: Lot of people don't realize this, but I know that you do now, Amy, When I handed you a frame of bees, were you thinking about anything else?
Speaker 1: No? Absolutely not, That's all I was thinking about.
Speaker 9: Professional that you are.
Speaker 11: You were suddenly mesmerized by holding this frame of life that was in your hands. Now, this has been used to treat PTSD for veterans since World War One, really and yeah, absolutely, and after World War Two as well. Be keeping has been part of the war effort. And so today you have High for Heroes Heroes to hives, and you have the HIGHS Initiative out of Manchester. And what we've done is that we have partnered up with a greater la VA and we're going to be working with psychologists there to have a program for veterans to come to our place for a therapeutic beekeeping experiences and for those who are interested in furthering their beekeeping skill set. HIGHS for Heroes has contacted us and said they're even willing to offer scholarships for the master beekeeping programs in order for them to continue their journey into beekeeping. And so what we're doing is that November tenth is going to be our ten year anniversary our annual honey competition that we've had for This is going to be our sixth competition, and this year we're raising funds for the nonprofit Sharethebuzz dot org, which is going to fund this.
Speaker 1: Program that is so amazing. Okay, so I want to talk about the Beat the Honey competition because as I learned when I visited you Keith, every single honey from every different beehive case different, they have their own unique flavor.
Speaker 11: In years past. For example, last year we had about fifty two entries and they were all from backyard beekeeper.
Speaker 9: These are all from.
Speaker 11: What back in the day they would call domestic beekeepers, and every hive, every batch of honey was extremely different, and judges were you know, you're looking at all this honey on the table into all different colors and different types of clarities. And so this year we're having this, we're having this honey competition. You're going to be able to taste all this honey that was submitted and if you're a backyard beekeeper, you can participate and you can find out more information about that at Share the Buzz dot org or the value hive dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, and then tell us about more about the event on November tenth, because is it open to anyone who wants to join.
Speaker 9: Anybody can come.
Speaker 11: It is free to the public. If you want food, you need to go to Share the Buzz dot org and you need to actually buy a ticket for food. Other than that, we're going to have honey honey themed cocktails, We're going to have a band.
Speaker 9: We're going to have axe throwing, We're going to have a.
Speaker 11: Meat making class. So it's it's just going to be a party. It's going to be a great time. And all the funds that are raised for every all the events and everything else we have, we're going to have a silent auction. All this is going to go towards Share the Buzz in order to help us get veterans into this program and to help them continue on in their love for bees.
Speaker 1: I love that. What a fun way to support it. And you know what they I love that that bees, those little tiny guys, I mean, they not only help us feed the world.
Speaker 9: Girls, girls, girls.
Speaker 1: The girls. Oh that's right, they're girls. There's you know what. After I went out to the Valley High Keith, I went and watched the Bee movie because we were we thought it would be really that they had it completely wrong. There were all these boys, and what we learned when we went out to the Valley Hive is there they're not.
Speaker 11: I've been I've been thinking of watching the b movie with my students and making it into a drinking game of all the things they get wrong. You got to make a shot, and I don't think we'd survived.
Speaker 1: But yeah, right, the overall message is good, but they got all the technical stuff wrong. Okay again, it's on November tenth, and Share the Buzz and you are for this to help the veterans. You are a nonprofit organization registered right.
Speaker 11: Well one C three, So three main points. Number one, you can go to Share the Buzz dot org. Every little bit helps. You can donate directly. Number two, you can you can attend or fundraiser in person November tenth at the Valley Hive. And then number three and this is important if you're hearing my voice, Okay, if you are a veteran and you're interested in this, please send me an email Keith K E I T. H at the Valley Hive dot com. My dream is to have veterans teach veterans. Okay, I want it. I want to have a team of veterans that are mentoring other veterans inside of the apary. And so if you want to be a part of this, please reach out to me. I want to mentor you. I want to get you competent and good be keeping and so you can share this art and science to somebody else and who was also a veteran. So please sach out to me Keith at the Valley High dot com. And if you know any veterans that you think would might be interested, please send them our way.
Speaker 1: All right, Keith Roberts at the Valley Hive in Chatsworth, thank you so much. The best of luck with your event. I love that sharethbuzz dot org if you want more information about it. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Police have detained a sixty four year old man for questioning in connection with a deadly house fire in Temple City. The fire started just before five yesterday afternoon. Three people were killed two others were injured. The La County Sheriff's Department believes the fire was an act of arson, and the deaths are being investigated as homicides. Egypt's presidency his country has proposed a two day ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, during during which four hostages being held in Gaza would be free. The latest talks are expected in Qatar. There's been no immediate response from Israel or Hamas. Show Hey can play. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts put show Hey Otani in tonight's lineup after the star slugger partially dislocated his shoulder trying to steal second on Saturday night.
Speaker 7: I don't know, I think it was you know, obviously, I think he slides on his left knee, you know, right foot forward, That's my assumption, and then he probably has he put his hand down. It probably sublectst out. That's probably what it was.
Speaker 1: Robert says he just doesn't see Otani not playing in tonight's game, but it's gonna depend on how much pain he can withstand. Robert says, as long as Otani feels good, enough to play. There's no reason he wouldn't. A ten year old from Venice who got the home run ball hit by Dodgers Freddy Freeman in Game one of the World Series says it's the best day of his life. Zachary's parents had told him he was going to the dentist last week before they surprised him with tickets to the game at Dodger Stadium. The fifth grader says, the ball bounced on the seat in front of his family, rolled on the ground a little bit, and then he got it. That's exciting. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.