Speaker 1: It's time for fun practice in your math True Crime Tuesday, the story is true true, No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Gary and Shannon present Crime. Well, we are a little bit closer to although I'm not certain we're going to get there, closer to a trial date or for the trial of Brian Coberger. This is the master's student who is now been charged with the murders of four University of Idaho students. We followed this case obviously for the last few years because it is just so incredible. There is a problem. Dateline ran an episode recently that shows some new evidence, and there is a concern that whoever leaked that evidence is going to mean that the judge disqualifies it from the trial. This is evidence about Brian Coberger's phone. Investigators said they found dozens of saved photos that featured young women from Wazoo, from Washington State University, and from the University of Idaho, many of them in their swimsuits, and several of the women that were in the pictures had some sort of close tie to the four victims in this case. Xanakernudle, Kayly Gonzalez, Madison Mogan, and Ethan chapin. That is that's what they have so far. They don't have the pictures of the four of the three women and the men the man who was killed, but that they've got he's got pictures of people connected to them. It's not clear what that necessarily means, but eyewitnesses said they saw this guy, Brian Coberger, again at a pool party in Moscow, Idaho, months before the murders. He'd made at least a dozen trips to the area surrounding the time of the crime.
Speaker 2: Now there is speculation that the judge was good exclude evidence that was shown on this dateline episode. That is not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Because the evidence, the fact that it was leak doesn't necessarily mean that the evidence is bad. Right, That is true.
Speaker 2: That is true. The judge in this case is a judge by the name of Hippler. I can't get the first name. I don't know where the first name is anyway. Judge Hippler, Stephen Stephen Hippler Hipler said in a pair of orders last week that the court's gag order was likely violated by someone who was associated with either the defense or Coburg's defense. He has ordered anyone who worked with either law enforcement prosecutors or the defense on this case, to retain all communications and data relating to the murder investigation. He went on to say in his order, the judge did such violations not only undermine the rule of law, potentially person's charge with upholding it, but also significantly impede the ability to seat an impartial jury. Now, how you would able to seat an impartial jury in this area already with all of the press media, all the time that's gone by, all the speculation, the amateur sleuths, I don't know. It's very hard in twenty twenty five to have what was once considered an impartial jury right, jury that hasn't been tainted by any information about the case. Now, he says, he is opened the judge it to appointing a special prosecutor who would investigate where the league came from, but hasn't made yet a decision.
Speaker 1: August eleventh is the as of right now, is supposed to be the first day of trial. So we'll see if this is if this throws a speed bump into all of that. One of the other aspects of this case. We talked with Howard Bloom before he's an author of a book specifically about these murders, and he has a new theory that he's working on, which is to answer the question why would he do this? Why would Brian Coburger do this? And he said, here you have a guy who had already gotten his Bachelor of Science degree in psychology, decided to continue his studies to get a master's in criminal justice, and had finally decided on forensic psychology, this science of exploring the recesses of criminal minds, and that, as luck would have it, he found an unlikely friend and champion to guide him, a professor named doctor Catherine Ramsland, a recognized authority in the psychological study of serial killers. And what Howard Bloom is suggesting is that the murders were an attempt on Brian Koeberger's behalf to impress, of course, this author, this well world renowned author and clinical forensic psychologist, to prove somehow to her that he's capable of beating the system. I'm beating the perfect crime.
Speaker 2: I can't believe we're just hearing about this because this holds water for me. This makes sense. And all of the fascinations with serial killers, all the documentaries, all the books everyone has been privy to. Serial killers absolutely have a fascination with other serial killers. It's the same thing with school shooters, same kind of mentality. And as her student, as this woman's student, during his two year course, he read the professor's seminal works including Inside the Minds of serial Killers, Why They Kill and Confessions of a serial Killer, The Untold Story of Dennis Raider, the BTK killer. So this was somebody who already had a obsessive personality, and it seems like he because there's so much that doesn't make sense about why he targeted this group of students. Yeah, you may have seen the one girl by the food truck, and there's all this thing. Was he slighted? Was he romantically slighted? Was he just upset that this was a party house he wasn't part of the party. This is what makes the most sense, based on what we know about this person's psyche, that that that's exactly what would happen, and that these students were, unfortunately for them, picked at complete random.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah,