Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 3: The kids are crying or turning off.
Speaker 1: The concerts are screwing it up.
Speaker 4: Gold Play inter Murals, Brother, Goldplay Intermurals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, let's get it started. You made it. It's Friday. It is our last show before football season actually starts around here for the local teams. Good night at college football action. Last night, I mean I had my first loss, which you know I knew going in this year there's a good chance I was going to lose at least one bet week zero no losers. One bet last night, and it was a loser, but you know what, it was still fun. I stayed up late watching two teams I don't care about. I never felt good about it, but John and I both were in on Minnesota money line as soon as their quarterback fumbled late in the game and they had a chance to win it. Clearly they missed a field goal that you know would have won it. But it just I don't know, man, I just I didn't have bad energy. Yeah in Minnesota, Yeah game, very bad energy, and I, uh, you know, I got the first loss out of the way. Now I'm ready to you know, get back in tonight and obviously all weekend, and it's exciting. It's exciting. So when it comes to Louisville football, today's the day where it really has kind of hit me, like, man, I don't care about Austin p I mean, I looked at their depth charter earlier today and I thought, Nick, what are you doing? You don't you don't need this. You're not gonna talk about this on the show. This is not relevant. This is this is the way time. And it's not that we really do a whole lot of breaking down depth charts from opponents anyway. But you know, I'm trying not to let it impact my excitement and it hasn't yet, and I don't think that it will because I'm excited to see this team in action tomorrow, regardless of who they're playing. I just as I've mentioned many times, I got used to Louisville starting their season more often than not against an opponent to where you have a chance to like really learn something and I think you can be encouraged or you know, it could go the other way depending on what happens tomorrow. But for me, it's just about no matter what result is there. The only thing where you really feel like you learn something and you, you know, really took something away would be if you lost, or if it's like a really close game, and that's just not going to happen. I mean, I'm looking here at different sports books to see what the spread is for this game, and the highest number I can see right now is at ESPN Bet, and Louisville is thirty seven point favorites right now, so you know they'll probably blow them out. And if they light up that scoreboard and they do something similar to what Bobby Buttrino did last night for Arkansas, then you know, I'm gonna be super excited. I'm gonna feel encouraged. I'm gonna feel, you know, probably the same as I do right now. It's just I don't know, I when you play these kind of games, it's really just it mean, it's not an exhibition, it really counts, and you only get twelve games each year, so you know, I try to tell myself that as well, like, hey, even though there's not a whole lot of excitement for the opponent, you only get to watch your team play twelve times in the regular season. So I've done a good job of just being so excited to where it hasn't impacted my my vibe in regards to you know, this opener being against this opponent. But today's the day where I'm like, man, Austin P, come on, like, what are we doing here? What are we doing? In fact, it's one of the buy games. And I don't have the number as far as what Louisville is paying Austin P to come in here and bend over and take a butt whooping. But this right up from Front Office Sports. In Week one alone, thirty five million dollars is being shelled out across at least fifty five games with monetary guaranteed contracts. So think about that amount of money and knowing that's just to get somebody to come and play you. So they range from as little as three hundred thousand. That's Middle Tennessee State is paying Tennessee Tech. It's kind of an odd bye game because I think if you don't follow college athletics closely, you would just kind of assume Tennessee Tech and Middle Tennessee State are kind of in the same world, right They're not. Tennessee Tech is FCS. Middle Tennessee State, I believe, is a Conference USA team maybe something like that. Third G five And then again we talked about it yesterday. The biggest check is going to go to the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers. One point nine million is what they're gonna leave Tuscaloosa with after they probably get you know, bent over and whooked. Really emphasizing the bend over because I like how much it makes people uncomfortable. Yeah, because like if I say bend over and you have thoughts that are, you know, perverted in a sexual manner, that's you like I bend over to tie my shoe like bend over like bend over, like I mean, come on, like when I say, and when you get a spanking. I only got spanked like a handful of times whenever I was a kid. We talked about this the other day. I don't really remember having a bend over, Like there was No, it was just kind of like, I, you're gonna get a whooping, and I you know you ever have if you ever got one standing up, you know, like where you kind of like tense your back up and then it actually hurts more because you're like moving awkwardly. But anyways, a lot of money being paid for these schools to come in take a whooping and uh, you know, help fund their program. So that's what's gonna happen tomorrow. And I think the fact that there's so many new pieces to see that will that that'll help a little bit in regards to like, you know, even though we'll have to wait and see if it really is something that can be done when you play real opponents. But if Tyler shucks out there, throwing it all over the yard, John he's connecting to Jacorey Brooks, He's got Jayden Thompson in the slot taking one to the house. You know, maybe the freshman Isaac Brown from Miami who's super talented, maybe they let him get a carry in the first half and he turns the jets on and he's gone like that's because it's the first time seeing a lot of these guys. I'm hopeful that the whole component of who they're playing won't even enter my mind. But either way, we're gonna talk about it beforehand. We're gonna talk about it after because we've got the Louisville Football pregame Show starting at eleven tomorrow, hosted by Yours truly big thanks to our sponsors. This year for pre and postgame we've got Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky as well as Jefferson Animal Hospital. So again eleven to noon, we'll take you right up to kickoff for the pregame show, and then as soon as it ends, we go live reacting to whatever happens, taking your phone calls. With the game being I guess it'll be dependent upon weather, but I have a feeling that with it being a nooner and likely being a blowout, like I could see people doing a lot of tailgating after the game in the parking lot if, of course, you know whether it's not terrible, and I can you know, hopefully those of you that hang out and tailgate at Ellen N Cardinals Stadium after the fact, you have us on for the postgame, you give us a call react. So we've had many people do that over the year, so that's kind that's kind of what I envisioned happening tomorrow. But you never know, right, You never know, And when it comes to being put on like upset alert, not because of like a matchup, not because the team you play is good, but when you have these Thursday night games that you have because I actually kind of feel like Thursday night of Week one is really like when it starts like Week zero, because there's so few games and very few teams that you really are familiar with play like you know, those games count, but it's like they're the again, it's the appetizer. Week one started last night with a bunch of games. We'll talk about some of those results because I actually do think there's some decent stuff to take from from last night in a couple of games, specifically Colorado. But nonetheless, that's what I'm getting at is usually you'll see somebody really scare you, like, Okay, hey, they thought they were thirty six point favorites, like Louisville and they almost got beat. That hadn't happened yet. But n C State, I mean, why they continue to be this darling seemingly every year like a sleep but a lookout man they Dave Dave Doran's got a chance to really pull off something special this year, and they were fine last year, But like them getting more love than Louisville heading into this year never made any sense to me. Louisll beat him last year. Louisville got a better quarterback in the portal from what it looked like last night. I mean, Grayson McCall. You know, maybe it's just one game, Maybe it's just nerves for him because he's jumped up a level from Coastal Carolina to NC State, But I mean, he had some throws last night that, you know, against Western Carolina, looked like he was not an acc caliber quarterback, which, to be honest, is not really a high bar. So anyways, we'll talk about some some of the takeaways from from last night here shortly. But on the Kentucky side, I won't lie to you and act like we're gonna do a whole lot of previewing their match up with Southern miss although we are going to be joined coming up here at three point thirty by Kent Spencer from WHAS eleven. I will get his thoughts on sort of what, you know, what he could potentially take from tomorrow's game for Kentucky, that would be you know, of value, like they're gonna win, probably win big and cover. But they're in a situation not quite like Louisville's because again, Southern Miss the last time they played Southern Miss did beat them, or maybe maybe it was two times ago when they played them they beat them. But either way, you know, they are playing at a comfort or a Sun Belt team, so therefore it's not like they're playing a FCS. But either way, I was on with Tony and Dave and Dwight earlier earlier today on has and Venetti brought up something that we have talked about on the show, and you know, I don't get the sense that like he took this from my conversation about Mark Stoops that we had a few weeks ago, but he kind of reminded me about what Stoops had said, like right or around the SEC media days. He might have said it in a sit down interview with the different reporters there. I know KSR and Adam Luckett had a story on it. I know, was it Darryl Byrd maybe that had another article on it at his website wherever that is where Stupent's just talked about like how he does not know how much longer he can do this, Like it's just I mean, he was just complaining about, you know, having to do his job. And it wasn't as if he said this will be my last year. I'm just not happy. But like what Venetti said was kind of my exact point whenever we were reacting to it right after that story had come out, and you read those quotes where he acted as if like he's just he's burned out, like he's having to do too much with nil when he's doing it all by himself and he just doesn't know how much longer he can do this. Those are all things that he said, and Venetti reminded me that that's an insane thing for a football coach to say getting set for a season, like it may just be true. And he's somebody that is now to a point where he's got this new contract, he didn't get the A and M job. He's just gonna put it all out there and one billion percent transparent. And if that's the case, then cool. I appreciate transparency. But even if he is just known as the guy that's always gonna be telling you what what it really is and not sugarcoating it. It's still crazy for a coach to have that. Like usually when you're getting ready for a season, you want your you know, you want to be energetic and enthusiastic, and you know say all the things other coaches say, like I like my team. You know, we're we're doing something. We feel like we could really put something special together this year, like all the stuff you just hear coaches say. But I get the sense that Kentucky doesn't really know what they're gonna like. I don't think they have like defined expectations this year as a program. And again I can't speak for their fans because I'm not one of them. I think they like what they have a receiver with Barrion Brown, Dane Key. The question mark, of course, is Vandergriff. Can he be you know, can he be the guy to make plays and give them a vertical Because if you've got a quarterback who's lousy and I'm not saying Vandergriff will be, I don't think he will be. But if he is, then that makes guys like Dan Key and Barrian Brown much less of a factor for you and at running back, the guy they got in from Arizona State and Ohio State chip train him. I mean, he's banged up. He'll be healthy probably by the time they get to week three, but you know he's not Their running game is not expected to be you know what it was with Ray Davis or of course when they had Rodriguez. I mean, they had a great run there with some really good backs, and you know, I don't know if that's the expectation this year. So when I tried to as we are one day away from both fan bases seeing their teams in a real game for the first time, I think Louisville fans are cautiously optimistic. Like last year at this time, I think we were just like, hell yeah, Brom's here. Expectations are kind of whatever, because we don't really know. We got a brand new team with a bunch of transfers. We know Jeff Bram's a good coach and he's clearly known for his offense. So it was more of just the excitement of Brom being here, the Brom era getting started. It was new, it was fresh, he's one of us. In that alone gave you, I think good energy and vibes heading into the season to where we weren'taught talking like nine ten wins. We were just thinking to ourselves, Hey, let's just see what happens. There's a lot to be excited about here, and even if we're not great this year, we feel like we're in great shape with Jeff Brahm for the future. I don't think there's fans out there that are expecting some kind of a massive drop off, but I get the sense that fans are hesitant to kind of look at this year as being as good as last year. And if you're basing it just off like a number of wins, that's you know, you could go to the You could be nine and three and still potentially find yourself in the ACC Championship game depending on what happens.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Again, I wouldn't recommend doing that if you want to play in the a SEC Championship, But I just think cautiously optimistic is the best way I would describe the Louisville fans when I, you know, do as best I can to kind of check the pulse of the fan base. Nobody's out there thinking they're going to take some big step back, but I feel like they're just not as much confidence, and maybe confidence isn't the right word, but what it probably all comes down to is the fact that we all realize when you have a bunch of new players that you've never watched play that are all coming in via the portal, it's the ultimate unknown. So on the Kentucky side, again, I can't speak for their fan base, and I certainly don't have the ability to check the pulse of BBN like I would have the ability to at least somewhat check the pulse of the Louisville fans. But if Kentucky is once again just this six and six, seven and five type team, that wouldn't mean they had a bad year, but like, does that ever become stale? With Stoops not meaning you know, from his perspective, I mean from fans, because wanting to like see something different from a guy who you feel like has has has capped out at seven and five, six and six is really you know, I think most most programs out there would fan bases, I should say, would feel like, yeah, if that's really, if that's really the best we feel like can be done. Now that the conference has gotten better, You've added Texas and Oklahoma, You're gonna have a really tough schedule every year, you're eventually gonna be playing nine games in he play like I think a lot of fan bases would say, we love this guy, but yeah, we should probably start something fresh. We should probably see if we can get somebody else in here that can maybe take us up a notch. But then again, when you talk about Kentucky, if Mark Stoops was a seven and five coach for the next ten years, which he won't be there ten years, I don't think, but if he was, that would make him still like the most successful coach at Kentucky football history. And he's the only coach in my lifetime that has been able to give Kentucky consistent, sustained success. And I don't mean success to where they're competing for the championship in their league. I mean success to where they're no longer the bottom of the barrel along with Vandy. So I don't know, I just I always try to as we get to this day, because we've talked about I mean, everything you can talk about when it comes to personnel, the schedule, expectation and all that. I try to, you know, as you get closer, just kind of get a real sense of what fans not only I mean, we all know what you want to see, right. If you're a Louisville fan, you want to see a bunch of wins. You're a Kentucky fans, same thing, But like, what do you realistically see happening here? Because I think Louisville nine in three is what I is the safest guess I have for their record. I think ten and two is extremely doable. It'll just you know, you'll have to find You'll probably find yourself. If you would get to ten and two, I think you'll once again have games where you could have easily lost, but you had some breaks go your way. And there were a few of those games last year. Let's be real. And as I said last year during that time, yeah, you never want to be in that position. You never want to have to look back and say, man, that was that was so lucky. But also being able to stay locked in and win close games whenever the back your back's against the wall and it doesn't look good like that. That's a skill that teams develop and if that becomes part of Louisville's you know, DNA over the next few years under Jef Brown, that's a great thing. So ten and two I think is going to be much chuper to do this year than it was last year. But it's doable. Gonna have to, you know, have some breaks go your way. I also think eight and four is realistic, but I think eight and four would be looked at as a big step back. I don't think that means fans would be calling for Jeff brohmshead, acting as if you know, we're in big trouble. But I just I think even if you didn't win ten games last year, I still think people would look at eight and four this year and say, yeah, you know, that's not a terrible year, but that was below what I expected. I think this team should have been better than that. And it's tough to say that right now because, you know what, there's so many new pieces and we haven't seen this team yet. Like last year, if we're being honest with ourselves, Louisville winning ten games they capped out, that was as good as they were gonna be. They had some games go their way that they you know, could have easily lost, but like ten wins was the ceiling for that group, and that's what they did in this year. I kind of feel like ten wins is the ceiling once again. I mean, you're gonna have a tough time going on the road and beatingson tough time going on the road and beating Notre Dame. Obviously, Miami at home is going to be a challenging game. Georgia Tech they clearly look like a more challenging opponent today than they did a week ago when we talked about them. And then you know, I'm not buying SMU. And then Kentucky, I mean, that's a game that, let's be real, we learned the hard way. You can go in feeling really confident about the game and knowing you've had a season better than theirs, knowing that objectively speaking, everybody watching, I mean I didn't see a single person pitck Kentucky. Louisville was favored by more than a touchdown, and yet you still went in there and lost. So I think nine to three is most likely, but eight and four is certainly something that could end up happening, and anything lower than that, I feel like it would be viewed as not only hey, that fell below my expectation. I think a seven and five type year would be viewed as one that was not anywhere close to being good enough and saying that about our own Jeff Brohm, who I clearly you know, love and I'm so happy he's our coach here. Just things are he's one of us. You know, the examples are everywhere. But you know, like that would be I mean seven and five years would be would be a letdown. And I love knowing that we can say that and like know that the coach is not gonna be bothered by like Jeff would tell you that, right. So anyways, it's here. We're just a day away, less than twenty four hours for Louisville, Kentucky. They play like seven forty five tomorrow night. I think it's a late game, very late game, all right, John, last night, the loss, I mean you've already you got to you got to move on from it, I know. And you're not like you bring it. You bring a negative energy. He said something before the show started that makes me not want to tail any bets he does, because it's just bad energy that the kick just missed because you bet on it you can't. It's lame stuff to say. Is the sport's better?
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm getting back in the game. Tonight, I'm taking Michigan State to cover I think it's thirteen.
Speaker 2: But you don't feel good about it? Now you feel good, I'm gonna land one. You're taking Michigan State to cover thirteen thirteen and a half against FAU. Nope, you don't think so?
Speaker 1: Oh no?
Speaker 2: And oh yeah, you kid? You know who fa U's coaches. Maybe I'm in my blanking. I don't know a guy that, you know, Indiana probably should have looked at before they got Signetti. Dude, FAU has Tom Herman, and Tom Herman's a pretty good coach, and Jonathan Smith from Oregon State. You know, they were eight in the Pac twelve last year. Yeah, and now he's bringing over, you know, some of his players, and he's got a quarterback that you know, he brought with him that was a decent recruit. But like, this is a guy that's, you know, getting his first first crack at it. He's never played a lot of football. So I just think it'll be closer than thirteen and a half. I don't think they're going to beat him, but I think Tom Herman and FAU. You know, fau's the kind of school that will get some decent bounce back transfers, if that makes sense. Like if a guy goes to Texas, a guy goes to Florida, a guy goes to Miami and they were a high three star or a low four star, and like they've been there two three years and they just haven't really been able to jump up the depth chart. They can then find themselves at a place like FAU because they know they'll play because it's a lower level and they have talent. So I've been looking at this one for a while. It is getting smaller. I think when I first saw this game on the board last week, it was fourteen and a half. Now I think it's actually just thirteen. Have you bet yet on I haven't, But I'm not changing my mind. Yeah no, no, don't if you want no, no, don't. No, I'm not fading you. I mean I'm telling the listeners Okay, yeah, I was gonna Why would they fade.
Speaker 5: You because I'm ote for one technically universal, we gotta.
Speaker 2: We got to work on the this sports wagering.
Speaker 5: Energy attitude, the sports wagering. I'm just in a funk because of the past weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that. That explains it. I'm glad you're reminded me of that, because that would be that's a mental bend over and take it right, because that's absolutely I can't think of many situations worse than that happening where you did pick and you didn't wager, and yet you would have had some real momentum there you live and you learn. But yes, that would be you know, that's what we're getting back at. Yeah, now now it makes a little more sense. Jean, I thought I thought you.
Speaker 1: Knew that, or or you were aware.
Speaker 2: I know you're aware of that. People thought you were already think because the first bet you actually I mean, look, you picked four winners that you didn't wager. That's a punch to the gut. Then the first one you actually bet on ends up not happening because of the last second field goal. Yeah, it's it's it's been yeah. So yeah, honestly, I would have been in the same position. I thought you. I totally forgot about what happened in week zero. So I'm like, dude, it's one bet. We gotta be, you know, we got to be. We gotta believe in the power of positivity. Yeah, So look tonight we're going on different sides. But you know that's okay though, Yeah, I mean, are you what what did you base that off of?
Speaker 5: Just really just Jonathan Smith? Yeah, no, Oregon State wasn't, you know, like a world beater.
Speaker 2: I mean they were good, but there, Yeah, they're good for the PAC twelve, and you know, he seems like a good coach. I just think, I mean, they were terrible last year Michigan State, I mean, god awful, and FAU I can't act as if you know they they're elite by any means. And again that's where you know, when I overthink bets like this, what it comes down to is like I clearly for I say clearly, like I've been talking about it, but it's been clear in the last five minutes that we've been discussing it. I really do like FAU to cover here as dogs. But as I get closer and overthink it, I'm like, I got to remind myself, Nick, you're not asking them to win, You're asking them to not lose by two touchdowns. And that's that's where it comes in. So last year, excuse me, last year at FAU not a good start for Tom Herman. But this year, you know, I mean, I think he's a good coach. He was thirty two and eighteen at Texas. I mean he won ten games and the Sugar Bowl at Texas. You know, he never I mean he got fired at Texas because Steve Sarkejian wanted back in Like that's that's how that happened. And I'm surprised it took him as long as it did to get another job. He was great at Houston, and I just think he's the kind of guy that probably will be better off at a place not named Texas right now, He'll probably if he has success at FAU, he'll jump back up and get another gig. Again, that's how it works. But I also think that he's somebody that you know. Again, they're in the American Athletic Conference now, and that league, of course, has lost any good team consistently for the last few years.
Speaker 5: So one last thing about Michigan State. I know they sucked last year, but other than Indiana, I think they have the most roster turnover, like in terms of what they're bringing that's different from the previous season. Oh really, so they I mean, they still could suck, but I think they'll at least look different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they're going to be better coach, because I do think Jonathan Smith's a good coach, but it's his first game. And you know FA used to cut Like again, think about all, like, if you look at the board today, last night, and tomorrow, Fau's not at State or not at Austin p they're not Southern miss Like they're actually a team. You know, they weren't good last year again, but like they're If I was playing a team from this level and not from the FCS or the bottom of G five, I mean I wouldn't be nervous as a Louisville fan because if you have expectations, you can't. You shouldn't be thinking you'd ever lose to these teams. You don't want to disrespect your opponent. But you know, again, as we've discussed, fans don't matter. We can disrespect whoever and it won't have an impact in the game. But yeah, anyways, let's get to a quick break. I'll quit yap and because we're gonna bring in mister Kent Spencer from WHAS eleven, he'll join us on the other side. You got any other picks tonight, any other games interesting to.
Speaker 5: But tomorrow I'm taking youga to cover because I think clymps I'm with you and Brian Edwards on what you all talked about yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean when I see eleven and a half now being the number there, I mean it's I mean again, this is how you lose. But didn't that just feel like free money? It does. I don't know why, but it does.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: All right, quick break, we'll keep it rolling along here. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right, coffee and company rolling along here on a Friday afternoon. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us as we take you up till six o'clock. Get you set for the weekend, the first football weekend here for the local fans. Obviously we had week zero and we had some action last night, but tomorrow NonStop action including both the local teams and joining us to discuss that, among many other things, is the one the only mister Kent Spencer from w h as eleven Kent. How are we doing on a Friday? My man?
Speaker 3: Man, I'm doing awesome.
Speaker 2: You I'm doing good. I'm just ready. I'm just ready for football tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I mean last night was great, some good action. But then again, anytime I think like man, I can't wait, I realize, oh yeah, they're playing Austin p. Uh. And there's really not a whole lot you can you can learn from that. Let's just say you were you were a staffer for Jeff Brohm, and you were you were, you know, associate head coach, knowing your opponent is who they are and you should win without much trouble. Are there are a couple of things that you would really hope to see that would that would be encouraging. You would know that it wouldn't mean anything big picture because of the opponent, but it would it would it would get your feeling like you did take steps forward from week one to week two.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, look, they have so many I'm not going to take away too much defensively, to be honest with you, Nick, because you know they'd have like, they have a lot of good players that are returning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of good players.
Speaker 4: That have snaps under their belts and they should be able to handle Austin P's offense. I mean, you know, for me, everything kind of revolves around you know what Louisvill's gonna look like offensively? You know, I've never seen even though it's Austin p I've never seen Tyler shuck against another team before in a Louisville uniform.
Speaker 3: So what's he going to look like? Is he going to be able to spread the ball around? Is he going to be able to.
Speaker 4: Get the ball out our time hit the open man? What are some of those playmakers.
Speaker 3: Out wide that haven't really been in.
Speaker 4: This this position before outside of Chris Bell, what will they look like in a in a Louisville uniform against another team? The running back situation, I mean, you know, other than Maurice Turner, everybody's everybody's new. Everybody is you know, not not everybody's new, but you know what I mean, like, everybody is not experienced. So they've they've got a bunch of They've got several new guys on the offensive line. What that's going to look like? They're tight end room Like? For me, everything just looks at offensively. I just you know, I think you want to see them be crisp. I think that you want to see them be sharp offensively and take care of business.
Speaker 3: I think that's what you know.
Speaker 4: If they struggle against Austin P's defense, Okay, now we've learned something.
Speaker 3: If they if they handle it, okay, you pass the first test. Now you move on to a second test. You know.
Speaker 2: Coach Brahm's offense is usually it's most dangerous when there's a lot of balance, and last year, I'm sure he was itching to be a little more vertical with the passing game than they were, but yet they had two really good running backs and at times didn't really need to. I just get the sense tomorrow, not because he's gonna try to run up the score or because he's going to try to prove a point, but I think, you know, maybe maybe outside of later in the game when you are running the ball, maybe because you're up fifty points or something like that. Obviously, that's that's what you would hope for as far as late in the game. But I just feel like they're going to really let Tyler shuck air it out early on. Not only not because they feel like he has to prove that, but I feel like that's, you know, for him to get some confidence, to get some reps in those kind of situations. This is I mean that this is the opponent to do that.
Speaker 4: No, well yeah, but also like that's that's his natural feeling as a play caller, is to call plays in that manner, to be that way because you know, I think if you if you thought about it, you know, last year, that's the way that they really wanted to start out, you know, even against you know, Georgia Tech.
Speaker 3: I mean, they they started out wanting.
Speaker 4: To throw the ball all over the field, and then you know, in a couple of the weeks ahead and then all of a sudden, and Bryan Brohm actually talked about this on Monday, is you know, sometimes your offensive identity, you think you know what you're gonna be, but the games really dictate.
Speaker 3: What you are and so and sometimes that can take a little bit of time.
Speaker 4: So I think, like, yeah, the kind of game that he's gonna call, they're gonna be wide open, They're gonna try to throw the ball all over the field.
Speaker 3: Time will tell if if they can.
Speaker 4: Remain that way or you know, like look, they may not have Jamar Jordan and Isaac Grenda on that backfield. That's that maybe what they what they have to do. But you've got to kind of test the test the water, so to speak.
Speaker 2: Ken Spencer from w h A S eleven is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Let's flip it over to the Kentucky side. They've got another opponent that's not like Austin p They're not fcs, but you know, Kentucky big favorites here. Southern miss has had some great teams over the years historically, but this one is not expected to be a great team. What what would you? I guess I'll ask the same thing about Kentucky. What could be seen because they have a big game next week, a crucial game against South Carolina in week two? What would you? What would you think? Or some things Mark Mark Stups is hoping to see to feel as if they are in a good spot heading into you know, a conference game in week two that again is a big one for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it kind of comes down to two different elements for me with with Kentucky. You know, it's it's always it's it feels like it's like every year we say the same thing, right, like we've never brought Vandergrift.
Speaker 3: What what is he? You know?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, at least with Tyler Shuck with with Louisville, there is evidence of him playing in games against real competition, you know, and competing rock Vandergriff. You know, you have this massively highly touted quarterback prospect coming out of high school but kind of has rode the bench at Georgia. Now he finally transfers and he gets his opportunities.
Speaker 3: So what's that going to look like?
Speaker 4: And then you know, for me, it's what's Kentucky's offensive line going to look like? You know, how are they going to perform? You know, they they a couple of years ago they were the Big Blue Wall, and that nickname kind of sticks around, but you know, at some point it's just a nickname. You know, it's not always true. And I think the last couple of years they haven't really been the big Blue Wall. So they need to get back to be in what they are offensively up front, and Southern miss will be a test and that you know, you've got to be able to do it against the Southern Misses of the world if you want to do it against the South Carolinas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you mean with with with brock fand Griff. I mean again, he's got a couple of really good weapons to utilize, as we've discussed with dan Key and Barry and Brown. You know, I just with the new offensive coordinator and I've already forgot the guy's name. I know he comes from Boise State. This is I mean, Mark Stoops has had a lot of different coordinators over the years, and a couple of times it's because guys have moved on and gotten promotions, which means they were you know, they were doing something right. But I mean, is this gonna be do you know again, if if Vandergriff has a really good arm, and you know, it looks as if they can really utilize the strength they have with receiver with those two guys we've talked about, like the Stoops completely hand over the reins. I mean, I know only he can answer that, and you can't speak for him, but I just I don't know, like it's a compatibility thing because if this kid's arm is really great, but the line is not as productive. And you don't mean right now, you don't have a Ray Davis. You've got Chip trainam who's banged up with the hand. I just I guess my question is, and I know I'm being long winded here is they may have personnel offensively to where their strengths are, not really the way Mark Stoops has ever. You know, he doesn't call plays, he's not the OC, but let's be real, he's had an influence. I just wonder if there'll be an identity crisis there for him.
Speaker 3: Well it's it's interesting, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean one of the things about like, you know, I'll go back to Louisville for a second. We know how Jeff Brown likes to call games. I don't know how Bush Hampden likes to call games, even though I've heard that. You know he he desperately wants to be balanced. You know, that's his thing, and I know Mark Stoops desperately wants to be balanced.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: They want to do they want to do it through the air, and they want to do it on the ground.
Speaker 3: So that's what they that's what they to do.
Speaker 4: But I would always say too, is if you're a football coach, you know if you can't you can't fit the round peg in the square hole or the or the square hole or the square peg in the round hole. Like you have to do what you got to do to win football games. And so if you can't run the ball a lit then you're going to have to throw it all over the yard. Uh that's just the way.
Speaker 3: That's just the way it's going to go.
Speaker 4: So I think, you know so many things. Is will be dictator by how they're able to perform on game day. But you know, I do know from their OC from the head coach, what they've talked about. They desperately want to be a fifty to fifty type balanced offense that that could take your take shots and make big plays.
Speaker 2: So back to Louisvill real quickly. Here they are thirty six point favorites as we speak, according to I'm sorry, thirty seven point favorites according to ESPN bet right now. And every year there's an FCS opponent on the schedule where you have this type of a spread and just you know, you expect to just blow them off the field. Last year it was Murray State, and I think Louisville played ten quarterbacks in that game. In your years covering both Louisville football and Kentucky football, is there an opponent that you've seen like pregame on the field and you kind of felt sad for him, Like, man, I know they're here to get a check and it's very vital to the health of their program. But man, this is going to be bad because I you know, you just look at the sidelines tomorrow comparatively speaking, and you're gonna you're gonna be able to tell. But this team is from a much lower level. I just care over the years if there's one team that stands out that you felt like, oh, this is an every year thing, these kind of teams. But I feel bad for what these guys are about to get.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I don't know if I've ever I don't know if I've ever like just saw them on the sidelines and said, oh, here comes a whooping, But you definitely you know, like i'll, i'll, this is just funny. But you know, I've said this a couple of times this week, Like Louisville this week is playing against the team that I played against when I was in college, and that doesn't and that's probably not a great thing.
Speaker 2: Well, so I'm glad you said that. Why doesn't Morehead State end up getting these kind of games against Louiverller Kentucky? Like why is it always the Murray's or the Eku's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so any so any more Morehead State is non scholarship.
Speaker 3: Oh are they?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah so, and they you know, they've kind of dropped down a few notches.
Speaker 2: So those are the real players playing for the love of the game.
Speaker 3: K Yeah, Morehead, every Morehead.
Speaker 4: Every now and then we'll play against EKU.
Speaker 3: They've done that a few times.
Speaker 4: But that's I'd say that's about as big as as they'll go these days.
Speaker 2: I know they're one to zero on the season, right and.
Speaker 4: By the way, and by the way, rightfully so I love, I love my alma mater, But rightfully so, they don't they don't need to be suiting up against the lot.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, do you think there's ever a point where these games don't exist anymore? I mean, because again, like I know that it's a big payday for these programs. That's something we actually talked about throughout the week and brought it up earlier. The amount of money there's thirty I think it's thirty five million dollars this weekend will be paid out to different schools just to go in and essentially take a butt whooping. And you know, it's it's a one, it's one win for a team, and everybody needs wins. And when you open up your stadium, you know, you you want to win and you want to have a lot of people there to make money. But I don't know. I just there's a part of me that wonders if at some point, if there ever is maybe some separation from the NCAA itself, like, well, these games still exist?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look, the the only way that I see that these games don't exist is if we end up in a super conference. Yeah, if you know, like you know, the big you know, four conferences, you know, if they all merge together and just form a super conference, then they're just gonna play against each other and they're gonna they're gonna pretty much outlaw anything probably outside of of you know, teams from that from that conference. And I can and I can completely see that eventually happening. So but I think that that's that's the that's the day that we get to that that these days these games don't happen because right now, especially now with a twelve team playoffs, like, does it does it behoove you to really schedule? I mean, if you're in a decent conference and you're gonna get, you know, the opportunity to have good wins in a decent conference, Like, does it really? Does it really, you know, play into your benefit to schedule really hard games all throughout your schedule. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean especially, I mean if you've got an eight team or an eight game league schedule, which the SEC and the a SEC both have, I mean, yeah you can, I mean just pick pick up the you know, in the non conference, you can honestly go almost as weak as you want. But if you go in there and you feel like you can compete in your league, take care of business, even if you haven't done anything in the non conference, you winning your league is gonna get you a spot there. So yeah, I guess that does actually make it to where you know it wouldn't you know, I could unless it happened, And I'm with you. I think if the potential super league that has the four power conferences, I think I could see that happening. But until then, I guess, you know, these games will probably still probably still take place. One point nine million dollars is going to Western Kentucky to go down to Alabama. I mean, that's for that athletic department that's a huge check.
Speaker 4: No, that's why, and that's why Tyson Hellt was so happy to talk about the game.
Speaker 2: I bet yeah, it's a it's a good a good check to put to put in the bank account to help, you know, fund a lot of things with. I mean, one point nine million can go a long way at a place like that. But Kent, thanks for making time for us, my man. Enjoy your enjoy your weekend. Keep up the hard work and we will talk to you soon. My friend.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks buddy, enjoy the games this weekend.
Speaker 2: Man YouTube brother that is Ken Spencer from w h AS eleven. Always appreciate him making time for us. Sorry, quick break, We'll come back wrap at the three o'clock hour. It's coffee and company on a feel good Friday. We're feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Is this a karaoke version? No, it's I noticed the same thing playing it. I do so.
Speaker 5: The original version of this song, which is the flow Rider version, has guest vocals from somebody who is not the original singer on this version, which I didn't even know existed. So whoever singing the chorus in this version sings the real version of this song, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: No, I've might.
Speaker 5: I tried to explain that the best that I could. But this song samples a different song. Oh okay, but that's odd though I've never heard this version with the original singer.
Speaker 2: I only know of one version, and it just sounds different than what I'm hearing now. But it's good stuff. When did this song come out like this?
Speaker 5: Whenever I was in high school, I believe, or maybe even before twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's before. I'm now I'm now to the point where it is music that actually is the thing that makes me feel older than anything else, you know what I mean, Because like this song's four or five years old, No, it's actually twenty years old. And that one specifically, I know it's not twenty years old, but that's just the way. It's just I'm where's time gone? Summer went by pretty quick, though, I gotta be honest. Now the football season's here, you know, I look back and feel like that was one of the quickest off seasons. And I don't mean just football season. But as I've discussed over the years, you know, for me, I'm in my happy place whenever We've got football and basketball, and you get it from late August really until mid April, and then Derby's right there. So that's fun. So that you know, there's a void in my life when we hit the end of Derby season until we get to here where we are right now, and it's not like, you know, I go into like depression, but like it. I mean, sports is a great It's a big part of my life. You know, maybe that makes me a pathetic person because you know, I just get sad and feel like, you know, bored all the time during the summer. I mean, I go on vacations and I enjoy doing stuff with my family. It's not like I just sit alone and do nothing. But man, just everything is better for me in life whenever I know we got football, we got basketball coming before too long. So it is exciting, no doubt.
Speaker 5: I'm ready to put the summer behind us. And I think this week and all the heat has made that one of it's made me want that to happen even quicker because it's I hate it.
Speaker 2: And there's something about college football, the pettiness, just the I mean, it's I mean, I don't need to tell anybody why college football is great. I think a lot of people around here agree and enjoy it just as much as I do. But you know, let me just give you an example. Like the pettiness of college football. I think it's great and it's pretty con I mean it's everywhere. This story out of Miami is or Florida should say, Gainesville is one of the many examples you'll find to where you clearly like, this is not a coincidence. This is the petty that you see within college football rivalry. So Florida they're hosting Miami, and Miami has been put on upset alert by a lot of people. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go there just yet, but uh, that's gonna be a packed game in Gainesville, and Florida announced it was gonna be a white out for their for their fans. So Florida will be wearing their home blue, you know, their traditional blue with the white and yellow trim. And usually when Miami goes on the road, from what I understand, uh, they don't wear white. They'll wear you know, I mean, they got a lot of different uniform combos they can wear at Miami. But Miami has now said they're gonna wear all white uniforms because Florida's doing well. I mean, they haven't, like what in the press release, we've decided to switch to white, but that's what they're doing. And I just think that's it's it's not a huge deal, but it's just it's clearly petty and their their rivals, and you know that's what rivals do. So yeah, I of ault and we'll get into it in the second hour here. As far as just the slate of games tomorrow outside the local teams that are of you know, of interest, and this Clemson Georgia game, I mean, I'm gonna bet on it, but I just what I don't know is that is Debo Sweeney. Is this like has he put himself in a spot to where he realizes there's no pressure, nobody expects them to win, and if they do mess around and compete and are competitive, that like they'll be actually viewed as an zero to one team that kind of got more love than other teams that won a game in Week one, if that makes sense, because they fallen not to where they're irrelevant. They're the fourteenth ranked team in the country right now. I'm not sure if that's deserved. But you know, Clemson never has fallen to where they're just a bad program. They just used to be up there with one A, one B. It was Bama and Clemson for a little while, and now they've clearly dropped off to where this is, you know, two three years ago, John, this is a humongous matchup that everybody is on the edge of their seat to watch because they expect this to be you know, two really really really good teams. And now I think, you know, it's viewed as a game that people probably think Clemson's a good to you know, people may look at Clemson and say they are the fourteenth best team in the country, but they're gonna get beat by twenty seven to Georgia because George is that much better. I guess what I'm asking is, is this more about Georgia more about Clemson? My takeaway, maybe this is just me being an acc guy. I feel like just to see this matchup not have the sizzle. It's just another reminder that Debos Sweeney not adapting to the big changes in college football to where like nobody even thinks they have a chance tomorrow. I mean, I would love to see what the money is going to be on, because don't you think everybody's betting on Georgia. I would think so. As the line shifted, I mean right now it is minus eleven and a half. So in fact, I can take a look at sports line and it'll tell you as far as the amount of money, as far as you know, how much money is on, you know, to cover that kind of stuff. So we can take a look at that, among many things. We got two more hours to go, so stick with us. It's a Friday. We made it football seasons here. It's exciting, so hang out. We'll be here till six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety
Speaker 4: HM