Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: If a defensive lineman, if a running back gets stood up by a linebacker and a defensive lineman comes and pushes the running back and he gains three or four more yards as a result of that, you're saying it should be nullified.
Speaker 1: From the line of scrimmage. I believe should be illegal.
Speaker 3: So basically the quarterback.
Speaker 1: I think really, anytime, anytime, it's one thing. If they're you know, I can't think of an instance where I've seen what you're describing where running back bursts for six yards and a defense because that would make the lineman downfield. That doesn't happen. So it's just right off the line there.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's about the tush push.
Speaker 1: I think it is because I saw it with the various teams yesterday, and I just I don't enjoy it. It's not football on with you. There's something. Yeah, it's not the tush push, I don't think, So, okay, something else, No, let's talk about this. I feel like, okay, I'm willing to have a conversation about what could manifest itself in thinking that the tush push should be again outlawed.
Speaker 2: The new bud Light commercials with post Malone and Shane Gillis, are they starting to get into you know?
Speaker 1: I didn't want. One of my girlfriends texted me like, this commercial is super annoying, and commercials always annoy me, so I just tune out, Like, I can't tell you the last time I actually paid attention during a commercial block because, like your wife, I was watching. I was reading a book while I was watching that game last night, just because I'm tired of watching the Chiefs offense. I wouldn't look up from the book unless it was third or fourth down and the Chiefs had the ball. I just I'm over it. I just have seen it all, seen every single machination of that offense, and I want to deal with it anymore.
Speaker 2: I do think we're making progress, but I don't think it's about the toushbush.
Speaker 1: Okay. I just think it's a stupid play.
Speaker 2: It's not football or it's the absolute definition of football.
Speaker 1: No, it's an easy out.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's a lot of sweat and tears.
Speaker 2: It's a cheating I mean, how many times did in the Commander's Eagles game when they're at when the Eagles were at the goal line and the Commanders kept jumping over the line and they had to be warned.
Speaker 1: Well and Josh Allen going over the left guard like that? What a dumb at Like what a stupid decision like the chiefs weren't ready for that, Like the chiefs Andy Reid didn't get his team ready to know that Josh Allen's going to go over the guard. Come on.
Speaker 2: Parts of La County is still under a floodwatch and will be until about four o'clock today. We're talking specifically about the burn areas eating fire Palisades, Franklin Bridge, and Hughes fires because of the rain that is tapering off for the most part, but could see just a few more problems throughout the course of the day today. Right now, the Dow is slightly into positive territory, but the S and P five hundred down two percent. The NASDAK is the one that's down three.
Speaker 1: Percent, So the Dow doesn't dally with tech stocks right which is why it's surviving what could be the worst day and more than a month for the s and P five hundred tech tantrum.
Speaker 3: Is the way.
Speaker 4: It's a tech tantrum that's to start the week. And like any parent knows this too, she'll pass from it if you deal with Toddler's.
Speaker 1: I don't know, sir, because this is a big one. Deep Seek is the company in question. This is a company from China and its claims to have developed a large language model think chatbot that can compete with US AI giants, but at a fraction of the cost and not using US technology. So basically a cheaper, better version of whatever technology our AI companies have come up with, and they don't need us. Deep Seak has already hit the top of the chart for free apps on Apple's App Store by this morning. That is particularly impressive considering that it's from China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't forget this.
Speaker 2: All of the discussion about TikTok has to be brought up every time we talk about a company like this, where the company itself may not be owned by at least outright by the Chinese government, but you can't have a business in China without having some direct pipeline to the government. Lou Basinese with the Basinese Group, that's the guy described it as a tech tantrum. Explains what this Deep Seek really means and why it's a threat to American AI companies.
Speaker 4: The big innovation here is what's called a mixture of experts, and that's what deep Seek has done. Instead of having the AI system on all the time to run everything, they can selectively activate it and turn it on as necessary, which has dramatic savings in terms of costs. Like you're showing on the screen, it's only five point six million to train the model versus one hundred million, but then on an ongoing basis to operate the model, it could be anywhere from seventy five percent to ninety percent cheaper, So it doesn't have all that power drain in.
Speaker 1: That vein, they say, the critics do that. It remains to be seen if Deep Seek found a way to work around those chip restrictions rules and what chips they're ultimately using if they're not ours. We just need more information. So far, it's taking a claim from China and running with it, but that seems to be what's happening on Wall Street. They don't know how this is going to ultimately shake up the supply chain when it comes to AI chip makers, the utilities hoping to cash in. I guess I should say on data centers and things like that. So you don't know, you need to see more proof in the putting at this point. But the idea that this is a reality is changing the entire AI global thought process of moving forward.
Speaker 2: In Vidia is our big chip maker when it comes to AI systems here in the United States, and then Vidia is down seventeen percent today as a results of all of this. So something we'll keep our eyes on talkback today. What question would you ask your son or daughter's new boyfriend slash girlfriend.
Speaker 5: Higerian Channon, This is Carol, Orange County.
Speaker 3: Hi, Carol.
Speaker 5: My most important thing I would want to know is what football team is the boyfriend or girlfriend rooting for. I want to know if they're just going with the easy team or if they pick a team that has pain, hardship and struggles. Vikings Chargers Bills because they've lost four times. That's what I want to know.
Speaker 1: Let's take a moment for Bills fans. Let's just take a moment to wrap our head around what goes on in Buffalo this morning. The Bills went to four Super Bowls and lost all of them, only to go on and watch their rival. The Patriots have a dynasty deck two decades of dynasty. Now it's their turn. Because the Patriots are in the baseman in a dumpster burning, it is their turn and they have to contend with the Chiefs dynasty like that is awful. That is an awful way for Buffalo. And so she is absolutely right. I'd rather have my daughter date a Buffalo fan, somebody who knows how to persevere than the chief Is that a Chiefs fan with their brand new twenty eighteen hoodie and their Matt Patrick mahomes crap.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Gary Jennet.
Speaker 2: For me, when my daughter was in high school, it wasn't the questions I was asking the boys that came over.
Speaker 3: It was more of me.
Speaker 6: Telling them to behave because I will go to prison for my daughter.
Speaker 5: Meaning if I have to snuff you out, I will.
Speaker 3: I work in construction. I'm a crane operator, yeah that big excavation.
Speaker 1: Pitch places to high bodies.
Speaker 4: Bad boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so behave yourself.
Speaker 1: You know what I think about that all the time when I watch your son's Instagram stories, because he rates those types of machines, and I think I bet he would hide bodies for me if I asked nicely, if I just showed up up there where he works with a body of the back of the truck. Yeah, you just say, whatever's in the back of the truck. I just dumped this in that big hole. I think he'd be like, he'd look the other way and then just push that level lever forward. I mean, I'm not trying to implicate your son in no but a crime.
Speaker 3: Well you just did.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: Was facetiming with my daughter last weekend and I noticed that she was wearing a Metallica Kill Them All?
Speaker 4: T shirt?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, does she have armed? Is she armed?
Speaker 3: No, well, everybody's technically because.
Speaker 1: I'm picturing your daughter and only have things gone very wrong? Is she wearing a kill Them All? T shirt?
Speaker 2: She's got some good old eighties retro concert T shirts, but I.
Speaker 1: Had not seen that one in particular.
Speaker 2: I said, hey, where'd you get that Metallica shirt? And she said she spit out the name of an ex boyfriend.
Speaker 1: And she's like, I see, can destroy Wait.
Speaker 3: A minute, are you so behind on laundry?
Speaker 2: You went into the ex boyfriend drawer to get T shirts out? And she admitted that yes, she had forgote the laundry.
Speaker 3: For the week.
Speaker 1: That makes me happier, all.
Speaker 3: Right, town hall last night.
Speaker 2: They've been doing town halls a lot, depending on where you are, Pasadyen, Altadena, Malibu Palisades. They're trying to assuage people's fears that the build back from these fires is going to be a bureaucratic mess, because do you know what, it's going to be a bureaucratic mess. The smoothest operation is going to bring with it stories of absolute trugery. Karen Bass, if you remember, on Friday afternoon, was trying to have a conversation with President and Trump about how long the cleanup will take.
Speaker 6: And we are one hundred percent committed to getting this neighborhood rebuilt again. You mentioned a couple of things in terms of us expediting, so I signed executive directives right away so that we could cut the red tape, we could get people back building as fast as possible, and we're going to continue doing that.
Speaker 1: Were the one thing is they are saying they will not be allowed to start for eighteen months.
Speaker 6: No, that will not be the tst Okay, I just hope we'll not You can hold me to it.
Speaker 1: This four groups said that no, that would be they should be able to do it.
Speaker 3: They should be able to start tonight.
Speaker 2: Now, listen, there's a couple of our arguments there. And this came up yesterday in this this event in Santa Monica, because again there's discussions about how do you start the process. A step number one for a lot of these people is simply getting back into the neighborhood with some sort of possibility of cleaning the debris from what's left of their homes and foundations.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: They described the average cost of debris removal for homes and they're using data from another recent fire, at about one hundred and seventy thousand dollars. I guess because of all the hazmat precautions you have to take when you're removing stuff like that. I have no idea. They said. That's a potential factor, obviously for people who are looking to hire private contractors to clear their lots. The US Army Corps of Engineers is offering to clear away the debris at no charge. They say residents can opt in or out of the government service.
Speaker 2: EPA is also doing its own removal of some hazardous items. They said that's going to start later this week, but that that process would take months, and everybody is saying that's too long.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I cannot imagine the frustration that people in the Palisades feel.
Speaker 3: There was one estimate I saw. I think it's one of.
Speaker 2: The real reality TV real estate guys, So you know, take it with a grain of salt. He said he expects as much as seventy percent of the people in the Palisades to go elsewhere that they won't rebuild, or if they rebuild, they're not going to move in.
Speaker 1: Well, because you can't for a period of time. I mean months and months and months. It's like, I mean I remember when we were in a rental unit and in Marina del right, and they were gonna redo the whole thing. It was going to be a year and a half, and it was like, well, I'm not going to go somewhere for a year and a half and then come back. And it's just you got life to lead. You've got to make choices like that. And furthermore, look around, who wants to live there now? I mean I almost I feel just as bad for the people whose homes are still there, albeit damaged or in a wasteland.
Speaker 2: But those and those homes that are still there, many of them without electricity, without running gas, you know, gas line. You can't live there hazard. You'd be camping at that point if you were still there. And one of the things that goes on is this discussion of why you've got all these different layers of government from from the city of La up through the County of La the state of California, and then all of the federal agencies that are now going to be involved in all of this. That that one of the things that Trump was trying to do was put Rick Grennell, former Ambassador Rick Grenell, as the main point guy for the federal government and to just say, forget about the recommendations and the requirements and all of the paperwork, and that you've got to get these people back into their homes because it's healthier for them to do that than it is to worry about Karen Bass being this safety theater that's coming back about we need to keep people safe. You didn't keep them safe on January seventh. What why would you think that they want to defer to you now when they have arguably the biggest battle of their life ahead of them trying to rebuild their home.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up next, feeling depressed, There's a Harvard psychologist who has an idea. Guess what, We're no Harvard psychologists, you and I, but we have the same idea. We've been preaching this for years. Well, we have a wellness update for you from the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: I feel terrible.
Speaker 1: He spends most of his day at the office city in the nation, include a variety of activities, and preferably some exercise late in the afternoon. I never exercised a day of my life.
Speaker 3: You just got to sit here and wait to die.
Speaker 1: Every morning, I smoke a cigarette and for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich, and I usually drink my dinner.
Speaker 2: It's time for Gary and Shannon's periodic Guide for Wellness and personal improvement for your health.
Speaker 1: I did that for a number of years, the smoking and the bacon sandwiches. Like I went through a strong period in my twenties where I would make bacon sandwiches for dinner. What was just as I could. What was on that just bacon, mayonnaise and bread. I know it's disgusting, I am disgusting. I did that a lot. Okay, I mean I was a sad such pride I had my bachelor pat I was a single girl of my twenties eating bacon sandwiches because nobody else was watching.
Speaker 3: Who cares if the T shirt?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 3: Like anybody's looking at it?
Speaker 1: So gross anyway, God, So there is this report out based off the work of a Harvard psychologist who says, if you're feeling depressed, go to work.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Researchers analyzed. Yeah, researchers analyzed a bunch of data because they found out this is according to the Psychiatric Research and Clinical Practice Journal, that adults was social anxiety and pre tend to work fewer hours. Huh. Doesn't that lend itself to the theory that the more time you have to just think about yourself, the more depressed you get. That like, one of the keys is to think outside yourself, do something for outside yourself, don't just sit there in your own self. So they analyze the data of two hundred and fifty adults between the ages of eighteen and sixty. They were all diagnosed with social anxiety disorder. So during a fifty two week period, so for a year, they tracked how many hours each person worked and recorded their anxiety and depression symptoms to see if they could kind of there was a correlation there. I there was a correlation.
Speaker 3: There was a correlation there. That's pretty simple.
Speaker 2: CEOs and employees both negatively affected if poor mental health persists. The clinical psychologist and instructor at Harvard says, depression and anxiety can be treated differently, but they both cause people to isolate. But I also think isolation can cause your depression and anxiety to worsen.
Speaker 1: Yes, a one hundred percent, it's not.
Speaker 2: I mean there are time everybody needs quiet tie, everybody needs time to themselves.
Speaker 1: Ye, but get it. Too much is too much for you? They say. A person who struggles with some anxious tendencies may find it challenging to go to work if presentations, interact with coworkers, but they still do it. They say, for the most part, we can pull it together and do it and feel better afterwards.
Speaker 3: So how do you encourage.
Speaker 1: You encourage people to think to do something that they're terrified of doing because they think they can't do it. But they can do it, and when they do it, they feel much better.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean they off chance that they fail like whatever task they have set out for them. You know, it could have some other repercussions, right.
Speaker 1: Like when I failed in ballet class over the weekend and was upset about it. Yeah, but I'm going to go back. Why because I'm not going to let the fear of failure stop me. Okay, that's good.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that kind of a go get an attitude. Yeah, what did you not do? What was the failure?
Speaker 1: There were a couple of failures. Okay, No, we don't need I could explain them to you, but it would be you wouldn't understand and be like me speaking Chinese.
Speaker 3: Try me.
Speaker 1: No, we're not doing this. We're not having ballet therapy. That's too it's too raw.
Speaker 2: All right, seven minute workout. I actually read this yesterday. I've been exposed to it before, never tried it, Jacob.
Speaker 1: How many minutes is this break?
Speaker 3: This next break?
Speaker 1: Four? We can do half of it. You want to do half of it, We'll do half of it this break, and we'll do the second half the next break.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, wait, one, two, five, we'll.
Speaker 1: Do one to six in this break, and then we'll do and then we'll do uh yeah, take your sweater off. I'm just gonna sweat through this jacket. Ow. Okay, static Chaka. It is a seven minute workout, just seven minutes. It's gonna get you fit, and it's gonna get you fit fast. We're gonna try out the first part, now, are you right?
Speaker 2: We're trying to do so. We'll do a swamp watch at the top of the arm. Talk about what's going on in some of the DC stuff. There's plenty, of course, plenty of news and what was a whirlwind first week for President Trump. We told you a couple of weeks ago about that big underwater volcano off the coast of Oregon. Oh yeah, they're getting even more antsy about this, showing signs of imminent eruption. Thirty six hundred foot tall volcano. It's about a mile and a quarter across. It sits about forty six hundred feet below the surface of the Pacific.
Speaker 3: But they said it is.
Speaker 2: Experiencing significant swelling and rumble, indicating a buildup of magma. So they predict an eruption sometime before the end of this year, but that they're not really concerned about.
Speaker 1: Okay, time is a problem, right, time is always a problem. We look at like celebrities and we're like, yeah, if I had all the time in the world and all the money, i'd look good too. Right. Well, they have this seven minute workout there. This was in the Washington Post. They're a little wellness section that they have, and they said that this is the ideal way to get fit. It's fast, it's efficient, it's fun, it builds endurance, strength, confidence, it doesn't require gear or it's fun. But it was fun. I like the endorphins. I like the blood pump and feeling. Exercise physiologists Chris Jordan developed this more than a decade ago and apparently became a phenomenon, introduced millions to the benefits of brief, intense interval training. Since then, interval training has taken off. You see it wherever you go, hit tin high intensity interval training, all of that. It's a seven minute workout features thirty seconds of calsenix that you know, exercises that use your own body weight, jumping jacks, push ups, things like that, and you do seven of these things. Is it seven of these No, seven minute workout, twelve of these things, and then you get five seconds of rest in between.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, they tell you that one rotation of this is seven minutes. That's where that's where the seven minute label comes from. They suggest you probably do it two or three times, or work up to the point where you could do it two or three times to get the full benefit of it. But any amount of exercise is going to be better than no amount of exercise. It starts with jumping jacks, right, we did that.
Speaker 3: That's easy to do. You don't need much there.
Speaker 2: The wall sit is just simply you kind of put your legs at an angle, so you almost mimic like you're sitting in a chair. Fires up them quads, quads will feel that you got push ups? How many can you do in thirty seve seconds? Crunches depending on how you do it. I mean, there's a bunch of different variations of that. Step ups. That's where we kind of fell short because.
Speaker 5: We don't have a.
Speaker 1: Stationary chair either. These all have weeks, but we did kind of high knee type things. And then squats, tricep dips is where you kind of do like a That would have been another one to have a nice chair for. Right, It's where you put your arms back, you sit on your butt, you put your feet out in front of you, your arms behind you, lift up and then dip those triceps butt in the air plank.
Speaker 2: Obviously you can do it with your arms straight or on your forearms. The high knees they are saying that you're supposed to be running the high knees. Hiees are awful. We do those in yoga all the time. Stationary highknees lunges.
Speaker 7: Assuming it's a four forward lunch sure, Probably a forward or back push up with rotation, which is you do a push up and then you take one arm off of the ground and rotate it up.
Speaker 1: I've seen those called like heat push ups.
Speaker 3: Is that what they're called or something like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it takes it. That's going to work your obliques as well. There and then the side plank. I would assume you do fifteen seconds on each side. Yes, anyway, it's just a way to get the blood pumping real quickly. There's really no excuse. Everyone's got seven minutes right. Well, when you think about those things you can work up to you the first time you do it, you're gonna be like, oh my god. And then you do it for like the sixth time and you're like, I'm getting this getting it down.
Speaker 2: Chris Jordan is an exercise physiologist and says you should try to You should try to push it to about an eight on a scale of effort from one to ten and eight for whatever that is for you. Don't let someone trash talk you into doing more like you know the training partner, that's it's not a.
Speaker 3: Real push up.
Speaker 1: I didn't say that. I was very supportive of everything that you did.
Speaker 2: I did like that you were busy with your own half push ups so you couldn't look and judge mine form.
Speaker 1: So you're now judging mine. No, is that what I am not a good I am not good at push ups?
Speaker 3: Is it because they're difficult? Because it hurts?
Speaker 1: One would make because my ass is about four times the size of yours? Okay, all right, coming up next, Well, they're going to do the rest of the workout and pray no we're not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are.
Speaker 1: We are going to practice what we preach. Swamp watch. We've got meat stick news to tell you about. Oh, we're going to test the the the pickle crack hot sauce coming up.
Speaker 2: And what question would you ask your boy, your son or daughter's new boyfriend or girlfriend.
Speaker 3: We have to go through that list of the dad gave the guy.
Speaker 1: It's very different for boys versus girls.
Speaker 2: If you miss any part of our show, you can always download the podcast and listen that way.
Speaker 1: Go to kim I guess that works for both slash, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 3: How many babies?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: You mean for the questions how many babies have you made?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You could also find the Gary and Shannon Show podcast everywhere you find your favorite podcast.
Speaker 3: More of this.
Speaker 2: Next you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app