Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsors simply Safe Home Security. It's August peak vacation season. You're sitting on a beach trying to completely forget about the news cycle for five minutes, but you can't actually relax if you're staring at your phone wondering if your house is secure. Unlike traditional security systems that only alert you after a break ins already underway, simply Safe is designed to help stop intruders before they get inside. Smart AI powered outdoor cameras detect suspicious activity at the perimeter and alert live US based agents to step in. Simply Safe agents assess the threat, intervene through the outdoor camera to scare off trespassers, and call for nine to one to one dispatch. Our CEO recently installed simply Safe in her home and she says it worked great. She heard that you had done it all those years ago, side it herself, and now she's feeling great with simply Safe protecting her house. Simply Safe has been protecting your world for twenty years. Celebrate their anniversary with us and save sixty percent on your new simply Safe system. It's simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's sixty per sent off at simplysafe dot com slash crooked plus. When you order, write in our show name in the how did you hear about us? Survey to let them know we sent you. Don't forget there's no safe like simply safe. Welcome to Plot Save America. I'm John Favor. Tommy's off today. On today's show, the White House tries again to limit the number of vaccines for kids based on unproven conspiracies about autism. Todd Blanche officially becomes the Attorney General thanks to the Republican Senate. AOC says woke one was crazy. As Wisconsin and Minnesota Democrats head to the polls, Jesse Waters does not want to talk about women's sports, and Hunter Biden sits down with Tucker Carlson. Then Montana House candidate Sam Forstagg, a former smoke jumper, stops by the studio to talk to love It about his candidacy and the politics of his states.
Speaker 2: He's really interesting. I really recommend listening to that conversation. This is a person who decided to run for office. He literally is jumping out of planes to put out wildfires and then spending the rest of his year like organizing and doing union work, and he's just a really interesting person.
Speaker 1: A firefighter. My kids would love this. Yeah, speaking into firefighters right now, Well.
Speaker 2: They're gonna listen. I mean, a lot of our listeners gonna be big into fire riders after this conversation brought it up.
Speaker 1: Excellent. All right, all right, but first let's check in on how the president's wore in the Middle East is going NPR. Here's a headline from NPR. Haunted by Hoover, Trump searches for an endgame in Iran. CNN decided to go with Trump has a Carter style Iran. Problem is the economy drags before the midterms. We got a Hoover, we got a Carter. What else, it's more Nixon for the trifecta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, he's definitely doing Yeah, he's definitely doing Nixon. Nixon at the Department of Justice, Carter in the Middle East, Hoover, Hoover, Hoover on the breadlines. I mean, he's really it is really all of them. And in fairness, the comparison to Carter is even more apt than that because the straight of horror moves is a hostage.
Speaker 1: That's the context for lots of reporting over the weekend that the president is desperately looking for a way to accept defeat in Iran after the regime made it clear they're not giving up control of the Strait of Hormuz uh. Trump is also weighing dropping his demand for a nuclear deal. I told Axios that he is quote low keying it with Iran and only semi negotiating at this point, and then on Monday responded to Iran's demand for reparations by demanding reparations from Iran.
Speaker 3: Take that a lot of neocons losing their semis. Sorry, tom I.
Speaker 1: Don't think Tommy's not here. They were never they were never semis.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the Guardian reports that the Iranian regime is intentionally dragging the war out so that Trump loses the midterms, probably because they're watching clips.
Speaker 3: Just like this.
Speaker 4: You said in June that this was quote the strongest job market in your lifetime by what metric.
Speaker 1: The bottom line is that if you look at the overall economy, then things are really really boomy.
Speaker 4: Trump's administration has only added five hundred and forty eight thousand net jobs so far, which is considered very slow growth. It's growth, but very slow two million jobs were created in the last eighteen months of Biden's presidency. Are you really arguing that your numbers are better than that?
Speaker 1: Well, I disagree with your number. We'll have to follow up on email.
Speaker 4: I know you don't negotiate with the Iranians, but you do talk about the economy, and you said your bullets is going to be a like a lot of traffic moving.
Speaker 1: There every single day. If I wouldn't call it ack. A lot low of voters feel about the president's work on jobs.
Speaker 2: You know, these are the types of numbers that will make a lot of Republican members of Congress lose their jobs come November.
Speaker 1: You can see it right here. I mean, just look at this trend line. Trump's not appropriating on jobs.
Speaker 5: He is now.
Speaker 1: Twenty two points underwater, swimming with the fishes, swimming with.
Speaker 2: The vicious kind of that was like what kind of code switching was Harry doing at the end there, it's like extra New York.
Speaker 1: How does old Donni wriggle his way out of this one? Love it?
Speaker 2: From the beginning, they hadn't said they were going for unconditional surrender, that they were going to prevent Iran from being able to project power in the Middle East, that they were going to fundamentally reorder the power in this critical part of the world. And what he had done not unlike what he had done when he had a midnight hammer in the past or killed Solomane like done a series of strikes and then claimed that the nuclear program was set back at the way Barack Obama could have never dreamed through his deal. Maybe they could call, you know, bombing the nuclear sites and incapacitating a large percentage of Iran's military as some kind of victory if they reopen this strait. But now Iran has proven that the US military, despite all its might, combined with Israel, cannot stop it from controlling this vital waterway. Trump looks weak, the country is not behind it. There's all these reports about our depleting military capacity, and now at the end of it, the best he's going to accept is we're back to where we started. Now, to be clear, I hope that happens. I would rather us get back to the strait being open and not having this on again off again war in the Middle East and all the instability and danger and chaos that that entails. But it's still a total capitulation by Trump.
Speaker 1: And I don't think this strait is going to be open because Iran has recognized correctly that this is their sole point of leverage now. And that's why, you know, there's all this reporting last week that Iran and I'm on, we're like heading towards a deal, and I guess they have negotiated it, but Aron's basically like, yeah, we negotiated this with Oman, but we're not opening the straight until the US ends the blockade, US forces out of the region, compensation for the war, sanctions, relief, they're asking for all of it because they don't really want the deal, because they actually want to lord it over Trump. And you know, and from Trump's perspective, he does it like he keeps going. You know, they talk about exit rams. He keeps going past different exits on the highway. Each time he goes past one, the next exit is worse than the last one. Because now, what can he actually do? He can't. He doesn't want He's not talking about a military strike. I remember, he's talking about horrible, like the worst military strike since World War Two, and we're going to destroy them. As early as last week we were just talking about that and today he was asked and he's like, you'll see, you'll see, but we don't have the munitions. We're running out of munitions. There's no intelligence that said that any further US strikes would bring them to the negotiating table or do anything or cause them to change their behavior in any way. So basically what he wants is for the strait to reopen and then say a nuclear deal will happen some other time. But he can't even do that because they're not going to open the straight.
Speaker 2: And they're not cooperative rhetorically, right, Like he really, really what he wants is for this all to just go the fuck away, like everyone just shut up about Iran or I don't want to talk about it anymore, and I want to think about anymore. We won I'm done, it's over. Everyone stopped complaining. And so he does these threats to say they're coming back to the table. They don't cooperate and say we are back to the table. They have this annoying way of not helping him with his pr problem.
Speaker 1: Right because they can read the news, yeah, and watch clips like we just did. The Guardian says that there's two factions in Iran, arguing about their strategy on this. One things that if Trump is weaker after losing the mid terms, he'll have less reason to deal. The other thing that losing Congress will force Trumps to negotiate.
Speaker 2: What do you think My instinct on this is that it is no easier for Iranian political factions to predict Trump's conduct that it is for us to predict Trump's conduct. I think that there's a third door, which is and this is, by the way, something that some of the neocons have been wish casting for, which is Trump is a little bit constrained by the politics right now, because all of these Republicans he's dealing with do not want to be saddled with an ongoing war in the midterms and the cost of gas and the anger from the part of Trump's base that were convinced that they were voting against feign Wors. So they want all this to stay pretty quiet. If Trump, whether he wins the midterms or loses the mid terms, there are those who believe that will give him the flexibility to finally do the escalation that they're desperate for.
Speaker 1: Him to do.
Speaker 2: He'll be he won't be running again. Other Republicans can criticize, they can be a debate about it in the twenty twenty seven twenty twenty eight Republican primaries. But there's a version of this where losing the midterm may weaken him politically but might put him in a position to do something drastic and quite terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was thinking about it the other way, and that like, because I don't know that escalation does anything at this point, because I don't know that they can he can bomb them into submissions since they've hit all the targets. I do think he could give them more, He could capitulate more, and you could see him doing that again after the midterms, just to get it off his plate and to go around saying that he ended the war and he's a peace president and like it's a terrible deal, and everyone tells him it's a terrible deal, but he doesn't care because he just.
Speaker 2: Lies, yes, and then he gets you know, he's doing his big kind of president at the end of his term. Yes, doing his sort of like big diplomatic achievements that he can kind of put in his museum tower. Part of this is a wish that the elections are somehow a hinge on which there could be some change in the dynamic. The other argument is the Trump we have today is that Trump will have six months from now. He doesn't give a fuck what happens to these Republicans for the most part, other than how it affects him. He's already said that in many interviews. What's driving him is what will drive him then, which is how his ego is reflected in the embarrassment of losing a war, being able to claim that he got a better deal than Obama, what have you. That's the case in January as it is today.
Speaker 1: One person who seems less afraid of pissing off Trump these days, as bb Net Yahoo. He just rejected the US backed peace plan for Gaza, saying that the IDF won't withdraw any forces until Hamas completely disarms, and that they're not afraid to quote stand up to the US. That would be Israel. What did you think that's all about? Yes.
Speaker 2: He also said again that as long as he's Prime Minister, there will be no Palestinian state, neither in Gaza nor in Judea and Samaria is what he says, but the West Bank, and that's regardless of whether Hamas is in charge so they can negotiate and deal with what it means for Hamas to be disarmed, and there may be legitimate disagreement inside of that, even though Benjamin Ettia, who is not a good faith actor, and there is no disarmament that would be acceptable to him, obviously, but there is an actual policy question in what it looks like for Hamas to be disarmed when you're leaving those weapons inside of Gaza. Fine, But if he's saying there will never be a Palestinian state, which he's been saying for what Yes, but he's saying even now after they've leveled Gaza, even as Hamas has agreed to the terms of this deal, which means handing over power, even in the deal in which there will be an international force, like all of these steps, the steps that would have to happen, and that should be what determines the creation of a Palestinian state that Israel recognizes. He is saying that that cannot happen on his watch. So you have Trump now saying, you know, the Trump administration kind of quietly saying he's got an election in October. He's trying to protect his right flank. Let's wait till after the election, which by the way, is a large as he does not afford people like John Cornyn and Cassidy and the rest. But okay, he gets let's say they then Yaho manages to stay in power. He gets the other side of this selection. Then what he is saying he will never agree to a plan in which the Palestinians have a state, which means he will never agree to a plan in which Israel is not the sovereign in Gaza and the West Bank.
Speaker 1: Right, which means that they will. He'll never agree to a plan where Palestinians and people who are living in the West Bank and Gaza are anything but second class citizens with fewer rights than israelis, which is if people, you know, people who are probably Israel get upset when you call it an occupation or that it can act like an apartheid state. But when you're talking about the West Bank and Gaza, like, what do you call it? If there's never going to be a Palestinian state and Israel is just going to control both areas the entire time, are they going to make them full citizens of Israel? And probably doesn't sound like.
Speaker 2: It, And you have Israel taking more and more of Gaza for this security perimeter. They no longer even really recognize the original border of Gaza as where a Palestinian state would begin. You have settlement expansion going on at a pace they are doing everything they can to make any kind of a Palestinian state, both politically and practically impossible. Meanwhile, you have those who I think are rightly incredibly disgusted and critical of Israel saying that a two state solution is now ridiculous and stale and dead talking point because of what's happened. They want a one state solution in which Palestinians have equal rights. Those that are pro Israel, that is anathema to them because they believe in a Jewish state. If you believe in a Jewish state and you find it repellent at the idea of Israel being an apartheid state, then the answer is a state in which Arab Israelis and Jewish Israelis have equal rights. But there is a Jewish majority that requires a Palestinian state in which they can govern themselves and live in freedom and autonomy. And that is the reality, and Benjamin Nannaho is the obstacle to that possibility. And everything else you can blame all the rhetoric you don't like. There's tons of anti Semitism, but it is this Israeli government and the Israeli people backing it that are now making Israel this Paria nation around the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't know that an election even that get frid of Nanna, who is going to fundamentally change too much about that scenario that you just described. So let's see.
Speaker 2: But by the way, I just think we should just keep arguing. I think I think we keep arguing it on about social media and accuse each other of all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: I'm very, very very close to the solution there, very close.
Speaker 2: Pod Save America is brought to you by ze Biotics. We love Zibiotics. I'm gonna have a couple of drinks. I always had zebiotics first. That's why I'm so happy. It's called pre alcohol Zebiotics. Pre alcohol Probiotic drink is the world's first genetically engineered probiotic. He was invented by PhD scientists to tackle rough mornings after drinking. How it works. When you drink, alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut. It's a build up of this byproduct, not dehydration. That's to blame for rough days after drinking. Pre alcohol produces an enzyme to break this by product down. Just remember to make pre alcohol your first drink of the night. Drink responsibly and you'll feel your best tomorrow. Use it all the time, huge fan. We had a bunch of it at my wedding. People loved it there, so give it a shot. Mondays don't move for anyone. Pre alcohol works overnight, so you can have a real weekend and still show up sharp. Go to zerbiotics dot com slash crooked code crooked for fifteen percent off. That's zbiotics dot com slash crooked code crooked.
Speaker 1: This podcast is sponsored by Squarespace. Squarespace is the all on one website platform designed to elevate your online presence and dry your success. Squarespace provides all the tools you need to promote and get paid for your services in one platform. Whether you are for consultations, events, or other experiences, Squarespace can help you grow your business. Squarespace offers a complete library of professionally designed at award winning website templates with options for every use in category. No matter where you start. Your website is flexible to what you need with intuitive drag and drop editing, beautiful styling options and unrivaled visual design effects, and more ways to list what you offer. No experience required. Every dream needs a domain. Squarespace Domains makes it easy to find the best name for your business at one fair, all inclusive price, no hidden fees or add ons required. Every Squarespace domain comes with advanced privacy and security tools included to ensure your domain remains online and protected. Plus, Squarespace provides everything you need to bring more of your dream to life, whether that means building a website or adding a professional email service. Don't wait to claim your name. Invest in your dream domain today. Head to squarespace dot com for a free trial, and when you're ready to launch, go to squarespace dot com slash criokeet to save ten percent off your first purchase of a website or domain. That's squarespace dot com slash crooked. One surprise addition to the White House schedule on Monday an Executive Order on childhood vaccines. The order changes the federal government's official guidance about which vaccines kids should get and how soon, on the completely unproven theory that combining different vaccines into single doses and administering several vaccines in a single doctor visit, which has happened for decades, might cause autism. Specifically, the EO calls for the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine called the MMR to be given as three different shots, even though they're not available separately. It asks states to revisit vaccine mandates, which is their choice, and it pairs down the group of vaccines that should be recommended for all kids taking HEPA and B vaccines. The flu vaccine and the COVID vaccine off that list of recommended vaccines. Somehow, though, what Trump RFK Junior and noted health expert Stephen Miller said about vaccines in the OVAL on Monday was even worse than the EO itself.
Speaker 5: Large amounts like vas A vaccine are currently pumped into your child's body. And you know, there are some groups that have virtually no problem with autism, and they, you know, I have to say this, say their groups that aren't big into the world of vaccines, and nothing bad can happen from what we're doing. Nothing bad can happen. It's possible, it doesn't work. I don't think that's much of a possibility. Frankly, we're gonna learn a lot.
Speaker 1: The US passed all of twenty twenty five's measles total by July. So far this year three hundred seventy one cases, thirty seven new outbreaks versus two thousand for all of last year a little over two thousand, and for all of last year. MMR coverage among kindergarteners has fallen from ninety five point two percent in twenty nineteen twenty twenty to ninety two point five percent. So good job everyone, And now we're going to be telling kids to and families to split the shots up somehow, which will mean more missed visits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what do you think happens if you tell everybody they have to go to the doctor three times instead of one time. You can answer the question the countries that have done this. I think Japan split up the MMR vaccine. And what do you end up with? You end up with outbreaks of mumps and rebella like, that's just what happens. This is all, And you know, we'll talk about Bill Cassidy and his capitulation on Blanche. This is somebody who is in a position of power. He is a doctor, he believes in vaccines. He had a moment where he could have stood up to this, and he took the ridiculous false assurances from RFK Junior at face value because he wanted to be convinced by r. F K Junior so he could avoid the hard vote and voted r of K Junior out of committee. And now we have as destructive a health secretary as you could imagine in this job. Being alive is already challenging. We don't need to put it on hard mode. Like that is what this is. Like vaccines are a miracle. This is all based on false science. Like even like this idea to like, oh, you know, we give our kids seventy two jabs or whatever number of jabs, like just that is a number based on giving kids the flu shot, and that they are not counting the shots the other countries also give their kids just not real. And then on top of that, because they think of vaccines as somehow harmful, even though there's no evidence that they are harmful. In fact, they are one of the great miracles of modern life. They have changed the world. They've made being a parent a very different experience than would have been one hundred years ago. When other countries don't give kids vaccines, they react by saying, can you believe it? We're giving our kids more vaccines. Yes, that's cool. They're not willing to spend on some of those vaccines. They're not willing to add them to the schedule rationing fucking healthcare over there in Europe the day the Danes are rationing the healthcare, we're giving more vaccines than they are. And part of the reason we have to do that is because our health system is so much fucking worse that we don't catch a bunch of stuff that they might catch in a universal system. And so when you remove some of these vaccines and say what could happen, Well, what's gonna happen is there's gonna be a bunch of kids that get heppie. There's gonna be a bunch of kids that don't get vaccinated for rotavirus or what have you, and they're gonna get sick in that window. Because the doctors that recommend these vaccines and recommend them happening when kids are born or early on, are not fucking malicious. They're not looking to harm kids they're not satists. They know that if you increase the window, if you cause more delays, if people don't show up to the doctor. Inside of that group of kids are people that are gonna get hurt, maybe permanently injured, maybe die. That is what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: I'm bummed about it.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm really mad.
Speaker 1: I'm going to need a hearing check.
Speaker 2: Makes me really sad.
Speaker 1: It's a CDC. In their own website still says that there's no published evidence of any benefit from separating MMR. It's just and the way these things get like sort of seep out into the public consciousness. We're getting another example of it. We got one just today because they have they're still you know, trying to do a number on Fauci, and so they got his phone as government phone, and they released all the texts and there's there's one text where he's like, Oh, one thing we should we should look at as we're developing these COVID vaccines is you know, if there's any effect on miscarriages, right, because there's like a thrown out a hypothesis like that's something that we should we should look at.
Speaker 2: These are a new vaccine. It is a new technology, like, let's make sure that if it causes some kind of response by the body, that there isn't a higher incidents of miscarriage. We need to know that about this vaccine. A completely reasonable question for Fauci to ask.
Speaker 1: So is January twenty twenty one. Yeah, he said that the second dose of the COVID shot theoretically could be associated with miscarriage in the first trimester. So that's something to think about. Then they tested it, of course, it was like by the time it was widely available, like it was fine, and they had all the right recommendation with held approval by the way for pregnant whom for a while for a while because of this reason. Yes, so they did like everything they were supposed to do. Now everyone is like, Megan McCain is like, put him in jail.
Speaker 2: I'm serious, looking in jail.
Speaker 1: And then now they're they're they're recirculating this debunked theory where there's this study that apparently shows that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know what you don't they are they are numerically illiterate.
Speaker 1: Katie Pavlich. The mandated and doctor recommended COVID nineteen shot for pregnant women was effectively an abortion shot. According to new documents just released by Senators Johnson and Paul, the authors of this study claimed a miscarriage rate of twelve point six percent, but the raw data revealed an eighty two percent miscarriage rate. Is that what happened? An eighty two percent miscarriage rate. No, they read the study ring, They read the numbers wrong. They're all fucking idiots in every single right wing not every single one, but all these right wing accounts now are putting out that there's an eighty two percent miscarriage rate for the COVID shot. So completely irresponsible and fucking dumb.
Speaker 2: It's also we all live in the world. A lot of pregnant kimmen got got the COVID shot. If there was an a some eighty percent chance of miscarriage because of the COVID shot, that would be one of the worst health catastrophes that would be. It would be like fucking children of men out there. And uh, they're just first of all, to get it. They're just misreading the number. Even that twelve percent might that might sound like a lot, right if you're just if you're just casually consuming this information. The point is like a lot of first trimester pregnancies and in miscarriage. That's why people don't tell their family until they're through the first trimester. What they found is when you looked at all the data, there wasn't a spike, It didn't go above there wasn't a statistically significant increase in miscarriages. That's all that. And they look at it and they do the best they can. They weigh the data against the safety that the COVID vaccine provides. And these are scientists and doctors doing their best to try to protect pregnant women, to protect children, to protect people from all kinds of viruses. And because of the conspiracy addled minds of the people in that room, they can make none of them doctors, none of them doctors, none of them with medical degrees, and forget even the recommendations, like forget.
Speaker 1: Like the so maybe that j guy, the seat one, whoever, Jay Bocker, whatever his name is.
Speaker 2: But like, okay, these are these these are recommendations that would harm people one hundred percent. Just the way they talk about the vats of vaccine, injecting the little ones, the jabs, the seventy it's all meant to it's a it's a it's all meant to make people question be afraid of these vaccines. Meanwhile, the vaccines we give today are so different than the ones that were given even twenty or thirty years ago. They have much less of the antigens in them. They're much more precise. We've learned a lot about vaccines because science is amazing, and so the dozen or so vaccines that kids will get in early childhood today actually have less far, less, like a tenth as much of the kind of antigens that was in one Pretussia's shot thirty years ago. We have we have figured out how to do this in a way because because the people doing this research care so much, because they didn't become you know, become it. They're not researchers in vaccines because they're what like power mad COVID mask people. No, they're they're doctors trying to provide us, do the best care, do the research for the reasons they got involved in medicine in the first place. And they're these people are like decided it's a fucking conspiracy to give kids autism. Meanwhile, I don't know, given the state of our fucking our education system, our healthcare system, our infrastructure. Maybe we could use a little more autism. Get people on these fucking spreadsheets figuring this stuff out.
Speaker 1: Don't laugh at that. Don't laugh at that staff.
Speaker 2: God forbid, we have a We have more people in this country that don't like that. That that like staying inside and doing fucking math.
Speaker 1: It seems like a little bit of a self interested.
Speaker 2: I got every vaccine, and look at me. I know how to make eye contact. It's not bad hard. Look at it, John right now, right in the eyes. He can't look at me. Who has autism? Now neither of us speak well.
Speaker 1: Uh one one lighthearted moment uh in this whole thing was someone one of the reporters asked Trump afterwards, you're a proud father. Would you have vaccinated your children differently? And this man with that like straight face does it just doesn't even skip a beat, Just as I did. I did. I took I took my children for five different vaccinations. I went with my wife and we took each of them for we separated out all the vaccines.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Do you think that man has ever taken any of his children to a doctor's appointment ever? Do you think he knows that they eat? Do you think he ever knew who their pediatrician was.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine Donald Trump in the same room as one of those toys where you move the little things along the wires with Imagine him sitting against the wall and there's just like a kind of big red stripe behind him, you know.
Speaker 1: And he's walking into a suit and tie to he's got to take take work off because he's got to take Don Junior to get a vaccine.
Speaker 2: Come on, buddy, you'll get a lollipop at the end. It's me Donald Trump taking my son.
Speaker 1: He and Havana. We're just going together to the pediatricians. I would have loved someone to follow up on that question, be like, oh, when did you When did you do that? What pediatrician? Where did they go?
Speaker 2: Famous hypochondriac Donald Trump sitting in a waiting room with a bunch of coughing children. Inconceivable.
Speaker 1: Inconceivable, he just missed his son's wedding. What are you talking about? Anyway? Right before the vaccine event, Todd Blanche was sworn in as the next Attorney General in a private ceremony in the Oval Office on sad The Senate voted to confirm Blanche and the only no's were Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins. But three yes is from the three members of the so called Yolo Caucus of Republicans, John Corny and Tom Tillis and Bill Cassidy, who had this to say, and.
Speaker 2: On giving his family protection from I R S probes. That's totally wrong, totally wrong, and so I will go back.
Speaker 3: This was not a black or white decision.
Speaker 4: That is wrong, and no Americans should be targeted by the law, but no Americans should be above the law.
Speaker 6: And that frankly almost weighed to vote no.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Especially it's a it's quite a black and white decision. There's there's a yes vote and there's a no vote. He's either he's either confirmed or he's not confirmed. I will say that. In the in that oval the vaccination event, some reporter was like, so is the weaponization fund dead? And he said, well, that's up to the attorney general. Now mm hmm, just like we thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like fecklessness of Cassidy and Cornyn until its three people that Trump's personally ruined their careers. He got involved to get them out office. He successfully did it. He has now put forward as his Attorney general nomination, someone who's oversaw the politicization of the Justice Department unlike anything before in American history, which is a tough category. RFK was the Attorney General who personally met with Gallaine Maxwell, oversaw her transfer to a Cushier prison. Has overseen a Justice department in which they've gone after Lisa Cook and James Comy and fucking the sandwich thrower, all the way up and down in any like, so beyond the pale, so obviously unfit, so clearly a moment to just stand up and say no, as you could ever imagine in the Senate. And then this guy has the audacity to then claim it was a hard decision. He talks about tearing up in this interview with given the credible amount of responsibility on his shoulders to have stood in those hallowed halls and been responsible for such big decisions, much like he always imagined it could be to be on in that storied Senate chamber. And he is saying it as someone who completely failed his moral responsibility, that he completely gave up that power to Donald Trump in a way that is pathetic and that defines him. His whole life is defined by his decision to be a tool for Donald Trump, a stooge for Donald Trump, and he's giving interviews about how weepy he was the having had the opportunity.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at it this way. Sometimes we say these people do this for Donald Trump because all they want is their job and their title, and they're afraid. Honestly, it was none of those things. He lost his job, lost his title. He doesn't have anything to fear anymore. He just thought, Okay, sure it's it's Todd Blanche.
Speaker 2: It's kind of laziness.
Speaker 1: He said something about like, well, it wasn't about like the perfect attorney general was. Maybe another one would be worse. What are you talking about.
Speaker 2: I really think they've sorted Todd Blanche into the serious guy who talks honestly behind closed doors, and that's what they've convinced themselves.
Speaker 1: But this is where this is how they all like love Rubio stell right right in their mind. Rubio's like the adult in the room, even though he is like capitulated on just about everything that Donald Trump has asked him to do.
Speaker 2: Right and says crazy things in public. Now the same way they can see Doug Bergham as a serious and reasonable person even though he's out there saying that the reflecting pool was destroyed by vandals. The other part of this, too is they act they're acting so powerless. They had so much power. Cassidy Collins, Murkowski, Tillis Cornyan. They could have come together and said, we want to ban by law any kind of insurrectionist fund. We want a public assurance from Todd Blanche that he won't consult with Donald Trump about ongoing cases. They could have. They could have in law. They could have passed a law that said no settlement with the irs could carry forward into the future that it can only be. There's all kinds of things that they could have done with their actual power that was not impossible. It just required some work, like actually getting together and figuring it out and caring enough to do something without acting. Like every vote that happens to you is the like there's no forward planning to it. It's like, well that's the vote today. Nothing I could do. He's acting, so it doesn't fucking matter.
Speaker 1: It's really wild. I would love someone to really I mean this is no, I wouldn't because what's going to happen is Todd Blanche will continue to do horrible things. And then someone will ask them, you know, what did you think about Blanche doing that? And maybe they'll say, oh, I'm so disappointed that he did that. I never thought he would do that.
Speaker 2: I was reassured, you know, he gave me his assurance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boy am I. It's like, you know, it's like how Susan Collins talks about Brett Kavanaugh and Dobbs.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, that is the and like Susan Collins now gets to have this vote no, and as everyone the point people have made again and again is that she only votes against Trump when it doesn't have a consequence. This is what's happening here. But I do think there's like an alarm that's not going off a dog that ever barks with Susan Collins, which is what kind of fucking non leader is she? She has all this power in the Senate.
Speaker 1: She head of the Appropriations Committee, she could have gotten some.
Speaker 2: Other There's so much she could have done with this group of people. She's still good. They could do it right fucking out. They never will. He is desperate. It is a it is a close Senate Mitch McConnell is quote unquote recuperating at home. You know, his doctor. Jonah Salk says he's getting better. Clara Barton says he's doing quite well. So there's that.
Speaker 1: It's working from home, h some kind of home, all right. So that's it. Todd Blanche, Todd Blanche is our new attorney general. He was the old attorney general. Gonna we're not gonna notice much of a difference. He's just gonna continue doing whatever Donald Trump tells him to do. Personal lawyer, now the attorney general, but still the personal lawyer. All right, let's get to the midterms. On Monday, Speaker of Mike Johnson launched an exciting new messaging effort called the Contrast for America, the Transpired by Newt Gingrich's famous Contract with America, which mister, the people alive don't remember anymore, aiming to reframe the election as a fight against actual communism. That's not a joke. If you go to the website, which I don't encourage you to try, but if you go there, it shows the history of communism in different milestones and different communist takeovers, and then it compares. Then it compares democrats wanting to raise taxes to that they cause that communism. Now that's now that's communism raising taxes. Republicans are betting that their only chance to win the mid terms now is to capitalize on the Democratic infighting over a few DSA candidates and also more progressive Democrats like Abdul winning their primaries the cycle. Here's AOC giving her theory of the case to ABC's John Carl on Sunday in response to questions about Wisconsin front runner of Francesca Hong and Abdul doing his best to pivot to a general election message.
Speaker 7: What do you make of those controversial statements. I'm sure you've seen, and I mean she's you know, the Thanksgiving dust up, she says, she doesn't you know, still believe that, but you know, the abolished prisons, abolished police.
Speaker 8: My understanding is that is that Francesca Hang has made clear her present stances to her life.
Speaker 3: She's moved away from right, she's.
Speaker 8: Moved away from it. And I have a local city councilman that has this, saying woke one was crazy. And I think that we all share in the goals of having as low a crime rate as possible. I think that, you know, during lockdown, of course, rhetoric in that time is not rhetoric that we would use today.
Speaker 9: When asked about Hassan Piker's comments on nine to eleven, Senator Bernie Sanders called it a dumb statement.
Speaker 2: Do you agree?
Speaker 9: Do you disavow those comments that America deserved nine to eleven?
Speaker 10: Of course, of course it was a dumb statement, And of course I think Hassan himself would say that was a dumb statement.
Speaker 1: He disabout it. I want to be held accountable for what I say and what I do.
Speaker 10: Look, I'm less concerned now with who I'm campaigning with a lot more concerned about who I'm campaigning to.
Speaker 1: So Republicans are hoping that Democratic quote unquote extremism will be for this midterm cycle. What the Dobbs decision was for twenty twenty two sort of a way to change the subject away from a deeply unpopular incumbent. What do you think? Do you think it could work?
Speaker 2: I don't because one is a fear mongering message about Democrats trying to make every Democrat sound like the craziest thing people saw on the internet. The oh there is a real decision having real negative consequences on people's lives that the Republicans actually did. I also think it is part of you know, they can't. There's no campaigning that they can do to diffuse.
Speaker 3: The fact that they overturned Row.
Speaker 2: They did that they wanted it, and in fact, a lot of the people who were very happy to see roe VERTND also supported abortion bands at the six week mark or with no exceptions for rape or incest or the life of the mother. So they were settled with their actual position. And this is fear mongering about Democrats to make people think that they can't have I don't know, universal health care and a tax code that was as high as they were in the communist days of America in nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: I don't think it could work. I mean it could work, but I think that it'd be one thing if Republican candidates in an alternate universe were out there being like, you know, Donald Trump, we break from him sometimes because he can be extreme, and these Democrats are extreme too. We're the only thing holding the line between crazy Donald Trump and crazy Democrats. Of course, that's not what they're going to do. They're all in for Donald Trump. So I think that I think it'd be tough, and also depends on like most people, when you are I mean, we saw this in the New York Times Santa Pols of the Senate battlegrounds from last month, which is you'll get a majority of voters in that poll in the Senate battlegrounds at least said Democrats are too far to the left. They think the Democratic Party is too far to the left. But when you ask about the Democratic Senate candidate running in their state, they don't think necessarily think that that Democratic Senate candidate is too far to the left. And so in midterm this goes race by race. And if you know, if you're a Democrat running that race and they try to tag you as a DSA candidate, or they try to say you want to abolish prisons, like you just say, no, that's not what I believe. Yeah, this is what I believe. I have this agenda that is not my agenda. And so you know, they'll i mean, on the margins for you know, voters who aren't paying attention until they go cast a ballot. Could this work Maybe, I don't know, but I think in a midterm for most voters, it's probably going to be going to be tricky when you get down to the individual race level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I guess will it work, Well, yeah, it's going to work on some people. This is they're trying to make Democrats their job. Fundamentally, what is American policy today? It is from the right is an effort to make extreme Republicans seem reasonable and reasonable Democrats seem extreme, and to pretend that politics is ultimately not about what the tax rates are and who gets health care and who doesn't. That's what everything. That's why they got a fucking the former NBA guy trying to get into the WNBA. It's like it's all part of one big thing. I was thinking about Francesca Hong because I joked about it, love it or leave it, and I went through the tweets and they are quite silly. And this is the moment where we're going to talk about these things because the primary is wrapping up. We're having an intra party debate right now. This is the moment where Abdual pivots to the general where there's the most sore and hurt feelings, where we're trying to figure out what worked and what didn't. You're trying to reconcile all these things like in Wisconsin, whatever happens in the election, Let's say Francesca Hang is the winner. Maybe she has, maybe she's not. Either way, Tom Tiffany right, like, oh my god, I can't believe she tweeted that about Thanksgiving. Tom Tiffany objected to Wisconsin's electors. He signed on to the to the Ken Paxton lawsuit to try to overturn the election. He continues to say that there were hundreds of thousands of fraudulent votes in Wisconsin. He said that that Trump should cut off funding too Madison, that Wisconsin, the state he's trying to lead, should get less money because it is not going along with Trump's immigration policies. He refused to say that Trump shouldn't invoke the Insurrection Act is He sponsored a resolution in Congress to support Trump for sending people to fucking seccat in El Salvador. He's an extreme and radical person. And if you ask people, do you want a governor who was in a bad mood in Christmas in twenty twenty or somebody who believes in deporting people to a foreign gulag and supports sending more money to Ice and cutting taxes for billionaires? Like, where do you actually come down on this? I think people if given the choice, faithfully would choose somebody who maybe said some kookie stuff in the post. And that's our job is to get back to that.
Speaker 1: I don't think those voters were going to be like, well, her Thanksgiving tweet was crazy. It's going to be they're going to think, oh, she wants to abolish police, or she wants to and I'm afraid about crime, and so she's going to have to do, if she's the nominee, reassurance of people that she cares about public safety, and do it in a way that is convincing.
Speaker 2: I also, this is my own Maybe this makes me a bit of a neolib shill, but there was a time when Democrats really enjoyed hating communists and like really kind of got into it about how stupid and deadly and dumb and ideology is that, Like, there was a kind of consensus that fascism and communism were programs for morons and losers that were deadly and stupid, and we should fight them with everything we've got because we believe in a democratic and liberal order in which we protect people from the worst kinds of destitution and have a safety net and give everybody opportunity. But also support the freedom to say what you want and pray how you want, but also start a business and create products and try to build things and innovate Like that was sort of what we all used to believe in. One way to deal with the communism crap is to have democrats out there who are willing to say, like, I believe in free markets as long as they're fair and give everybody a chance, which is something a lot of Democrats used to be a little bit more comfortable talking about because they were less afraid of being attacked by people on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think a duel even in the primary towards the end was talking about like because he would be asked, oh, aren't you DSA too, and he was like, no, I'm I believe in free markets. I like free markets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And look Francesca hang in fairness. She's like she's been saying, like, well, i'm a I was a small business owner. You know. The challenge is like when you call yourself a socialist and it's like, well, what does socialism mean? And this is the whole thing with you know, well, defund was actually just a slogan, and abolish is just an aspirational abolish police and abolished prisons. That's just an aspirational thing that's not real. Well, then don't use the fucking slogan. No, it's just an.
Speaker 2: Extremely unhelpful way of achieving my vision.
Speaker 1: Right. It's like it's like, then you're upset that people don't understand that you actually have a nuanced view of public safety because you embrace the slogan abolished police. Like, of course they're not going to understand that you have a nuanced view if you use that slogan or you just say you're socialists. And so you probably shouldn't call yourself a socialist.
Speaker 2: Right because because like I think there are plenty of people that are democratic socialists who are socialists, but a lot of people ascribe to it because they think being a democrat is correctly crnch. The word liberal was actually maligned by Republicans for a long time. And they're really social democrats, right, That's what they are. They are social democrats, which and I really do think there's a lot of people that have convinced themselves that democrats are just sort of incremental socialists, right in both directions, But I think they're socialists that believe that about democrats. I think there's there are people that there's a kind of and there are lefty democrats who believe that about that. Somehow we're that. Really, to be a liberal is just to be afraid to say what you really want, as opposed to having a framework for viewing the world in which government helps to address inequities and solve problems. But fundamentally you do believe in all kinds of freedoms, including the freedom the freedoms that go along with the free market.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, it's just if you believe in medicare for all and wealth tax on billionaires or abolishing ice or whatever it is. Just say you believe in those things and just talk about those policies. Like the labeling doesn't seem like it's helpful in any way, shape or form, But I don't know. That's just me.
Speaker 2: Good Zave America is brought to you by HYMNS. Edy is more common than guys talk about the good news. Getting real treatment is simple and through Hymns's one hundred percent online HYMNS connects to you with a licensed healthcare provider, giving you simple access to legitimate d treatment options from home, No awkward appointments, no pharmacy lines, Just complete a simple online intake and a provider will review your information to determine a treatment is right for you. If prescribe, your treatment ships directly to your door. This includes Sildenafil, also known as generic for Viagra, available through hymns at up to ninety five percent less than the brand name version, and if that option isn't right for you, there are additional treatment options available so you can find what works best for your body. It's straightforward, transparent, and designed to make getting care feel easy. To get simple online access to personalized, affordable care for ed and more. Visit hymns dot com slash crooked that's h i MS dot com slash crooked. Hymns dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 1: Not available in all fifty states. Prescription required. See website for details, restrictions and important safety information. Sildentifhil is the generic version of viagra. Viagra is a registered trademark of Vietrice Specialty LLC. Hymns is not affiliated with or endorsed by Viatrice. How do you feel about woke? One was crazy as a way to explain the excesses of a I guess it's just twenty twenty, maybe twenty one, whatever that time period was.
Speaker 2: First of all, I think it's it has been of it just being kind of true. And I saw a few people talking about this, which is Okay, we're now saying kind of more publicly what we were all saying to each other in private, like, boy, we've lost our minds a little bit, haven't we. And to me, what's interesting about it is like I like whenever, I care less about what people were saying on the internet and more about what our candidates were doing. And I think about everyone raising their hand about decriminalizing the border or kind of taking kind of more lefty positions. It's what settled Kamala with the sort of the that's you know that that that questionnaire is from the height of this moment of woke one point zero.
Speaker 1: And images like the you know probably the you know Pelosi kneeling with the kenty cloth was maybe maybe that was a little much.
Speaker 2: And but what but what But what was happening then was, first of all, there was we were dealing with a once in a century pandemic. We were having a genuine and important conversation nationally about systemic racism and policing. It did lead to a lot of important conversations about reform. But I do think that a lot of people felt like they were performing something they didn't totally understand or believed, and they would leave the criticism to others because they just weren't going to take on that work, right, And so everybody kind of went along with certain parts of it, but they weren't totally sold on, right, or maybe they didn't say it themselves, right, but they didn't want to get in the muck. They certainly weren't going to go out there and saying I actually don't believe in defunding the police. There wasn't a lot of equity. There was a lot of value in poking your head up above the trench line there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean when you think back to like what was woke one, right, because now we're just saying, oh, it was all crazy, and you're right, people like at least people on the left kind of instinctively know what that means. Yeah, But it's like worth talking about what it is, what it was, And I do think it's like three different things we're talking about here. There's policies, right, and so there was defund the police. It was the big one, but there was also abolish the police, abolish prison, which I I didn't even remember from then, but now we're now, we're seeing all the tweets from back then abolish borders or open borders or decriminalize all that. So there was that. Then there was language that was used, and there was like there were words that no one actually uses in real life that were chosen to replace words that had been deemed offensive but weren't always offensive.
Speaker 2: Well, even in your interview with Francisca Hung, she talked about justice impacted individuals.
Speaker 1: Right, Which is a funny thing because I remember when I interviewed Andy Basheer and he and I was like, what did democrats do wrong or whatever? I asked him some question about Democrats and what he would change, and he's like, well, we use language that you know people that's I don't know if he said faculty lounges, but it's that kind of idea. And he said, you know, like justice impacted individuals. I remember when he said that to me, I'm like, is he just saying that phrase to like pick out something to mock because I'd never heard that. I was like what is he talking about? And then she said it to me and I was like, oh, oh, I guess that is something just as impacted individuals. So there's a whole bunch of language that made the left and Democrats seem like completely out of touch and that they don't speak the language that most people speak. Right. Then there was the public shaming, I want to say cancel culture, but public shaming, right, which is there was a tendency and this was mostly on the internet, though it bled into the primary a little bit in twenty twenty, responding to someone's statement or position that you disagree with by trying to yell at the person, label them bad, shame them instead of persuading them that they're wrong or calling their idea bad or their statement bad, like they were bad. Yeah, you know, Like that's and it's like also the difference between like that statement seems a little racist versus like you are a racist, yeah for making that statement, or sexist or whatever it may be. And so there was a little there was as we were discussing real problems to be solved, systemic racism, police violence, a brutal way of treating immigrants, whatever it may be, there was this belief that if you yelled loud enough or took a strong enough stance and called out the people who were taking the opposite stance loudly enough, that like that would be the way that you fight it. And I think that since then people have learned that maybe the most effective way is to try to like bring people along to persuade them, and then you know, if you can't vote against them or organize against them. Right, But it's just there was a there was like a substitution for real politics because the discussions were happening online and people were just doing a lot of yelling and name calling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it also like there was it followed, so Trump wins in twenty sixteen, the me too happens in twenty seventeen. You have a series of terrible killings by the police that follow and then into the pandemic and then the death of George Floyd. And it was this moment of saying, look at what we've tolerated, right, look at how much injustice was sort of baked into all of these systems. Look At how much we were ignoring that was in plain sight all around us. Now is the moment we're going to tear these things down. We're going to tear these systems down. And that was exciting, and it was exhilarating I think for people, especially for activists, who suddenly found that there were millions of people in their homes seeing their messages. They weren't out at bars, they weren't at they weren't in an office, they weren't living, they weren't at a park. They were home watching their screen and and all of us collectively worked of taking in a lot more of this and more receptive to it. I mean we were, we were you know, I remember we were doing pods from our homes and you just knew that you put, everyone was seeing it all at once, right, There's a lot of people going out to do jobs that they had to do, but as a side of our culture was being made by people fully paying attention all the time from their couches and all of that was it meant that everything was heightened, and you lack the feedback loop of being in the world, right, you lock the feedback loop of talking to someone face to face and trying things out, and also, by the way, stepping away for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, there was also a thing too, where so you know, George Floyd's murder and a very important discussion afterwards about reform, reform, policing, systemic racism. And then you know, there would be some vandalism and you know, you know, windows being broken, and you know, people spray painting a cab all cops are bad, and then some people will be like, well, that's not great, you know, to do that kind of stuff. And then the response you get is, how can you care about that when there are these bigger issues? And the truth is it's the reason you care about that is because the rest of the country is watching as well, and there's a most people, a majority of people who think police brutality and police police killing is a problem and very bad. But also they like police in general as a concept, you know what I'm saying, And so like for those people, if you tell them no, no, no, it's also okay, uh looting in vandalism and saying that all cops are bad, like that's okay too, Like they're just not going to agree with you.
Speaker 2: Well. I also I do think that there was an impulse and I especially in like a kind of a political show like this or political political debate more generally, there was a I don't remember what the book was called, but the thesis was something like looting a okay, were I work for a major news organization and my book is called looting. Yes, uh, it's terrific, you know, it's like sort of but it's sort of written in some academic speak like looting in the practice of freedom or something like that. And I remember feeling this at the time because it was so heightened and the internet was such an intense place that you would you would say, like, hold on a second, these things are counterproductive, right, Like this leads to backlash. We're trying to avoid that backlash because the cause is so just, right, like, because the cause of accountability for violence against people by the police is so important, because.
Speaker 1: It's like, yes, but because the cause is so just and important, that's why you have to be careful. What's why you have to be extra extra like think harder about persuading people well, and.
Speaker 2: And so then you say, that's and so therefore, because the looting or the damage will be taken out of context, even if the vast majority of people are peaceful, it will be it will cause a backlash. But even in that moment, there was a kind of social pressure against simply saying because looting is wrong, because that business being destroyed hurts the people that work there, the people that own that business, even if it is a big company, by the way, but it hurts the people that work there that aren't for a big company whose jobs depend on it, but a lot of them are going to be small businesses, and that is just simply morally wrong, even if the ultimate cause for the anger, what led to the protests itself, is just it is just wrong, even if it weren't counterproductive, and there was very little space for that. But here we are years later, and actually the failure for more politicians and people in authority to remember those lines and assert those lines in the same way. By the way, a Bill Cassidy or John Cornyn are afraid to draw those lines. They are paying because they went along with a kind of style that the country has now looked back on with a lot of disdain.
Speaker 1: I will say, on the other hand, after AOC made those comments, I saw a lot of center left folks who sort of always thought that woke one was a little crazy, just not being very thrilled that she was just laughing it off. And they want a more serious explanation about what actually was crazy and what progressives have learned and sort of like more of a mea culpa on this and I understand that. But also it's like political leaders on the left moving away from some of the fringi er unpopular positions that they took in the past is a good thing. Well, and like one way to incentivize people changing their minds like that is to welcome it when it happens and not complain about it, because I think changing your mind is good. Apologies are good. Recognizing that that past positions weren't the best is good. Like you you sort of want to It's almost like, in a different way, it's when a Trump voter is like, oh, gosh, I didn't think the deportations were coming to my town, and like, instead of being like, well, you're an idiot, you know that, the response to actually be like great, well, then welcome, welcome to our movement.
Speaker 2: Well. Look, the term woke was stolen and turned into a pejorative, but one of the ways it was used at the time was it doesn't matter when you got woke, that you are right like it just like that that that you've woken up to what's happening in our society, and that's a good thing.
Speaker 3: Like that to me.
Speaker 2: The other part of the woke one is crazy is part of the problem is okay, fine time is flattened on the internet and in political ads.
Speaker 3: That the fact that.
Speaker 2: Now people are walking away from certain styles of rhetoric or positions that were more extreme than they want to take right now. Good those old clips are still coming out. Kamala paid in blood for what she said in twenty twenty. We are for what We are all paying in blood for what Kamala said in twenty twenty. Uh So part of this, well, of course not of course it wasn't just her, it was everybody was ever. It was a it was a it was a cultural kind of like whatever acute cultural moment of people kind of kind of uh uh kind of in this sort of reverie. But regardless, one way to get past it. It's not just disavowing it. Like I appreciate abdul now saying that was dumb, but people can smell when someone wants to say something, and like there's a difference between saying and and hang did this, well, this is different between saying like what I'm running on is what I'm saying right now. And these are my current views, and I've said things in the past and I don't stand by all of them, and people evolve versus just being like, look, I said some stupid fucking shit in the past, and uh, like I looking back on it, I don't really think that anymore. And you can trust that. I love that as a governor of this state that I will support the police. I believe in policing the people, that the people, some of the most vulnerable communities in our society, depend on having good, responsible community policing that they can trust. That's what I want to build. I don't want to abolish the police. I think that that's dumb and I regret embracing it as a slogan because it doesn't actually capture what I think, Like, there is a way of talking about this that is going to honor your values that doesn't just you're not just going to get past it.
Speaker 1: No one's just going to get you can't do the robot like these are my positions now, I will never talk about what they were before.
Speaker 2: And by the way, like AOC knows that, of course, like AOC.
Speaker 1: Is like that, well, she I think she I liked it.
Speaker 2: But no, but I think she's trying to signal showing like this, there is a way to talk about this in a kind of honest and authentic way that helps people see past something you may have said a few years ago.
Speaker 1: You know where people are gonna be able to hear a lot more about the best path forward for Democrats, and maybe we'll even have a conversation about whether woke one was crazy or not.
Speaker 2: Where John Crooked Con Crooked Con.
Speaker 1: It's happening in DC the weekend following the midterms. Then we've said this before, there's a special rate for Friends of the Pod subscribers. But those tickets, they're running out.
Speaker 2: Running out of those special front of the Pod tickets.
Speaker 1: So you got to head on over to Crookedcon dot com to grab your tickets. And if you haven't subscribed already, become a subscriber, get ad free episodes of all your favorite pods and support independent.
Speaker 2: Media and a bunch of episodes you can only get on our.
Speaker 1: Subscription fee, all kinds of secret episodes. All your friends are talking about them.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: So before we move off this, it's election day. As you're listening to this both in Wisconsin, where Hang has been in a commanding position for a while now, and in Minnesota, where the Democratic primary for the open Senate seat that Tina Smith is vacating is happening between Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan, she's been on the show, in Congresswoman Angie Craig. We tried to get her on the show, and it's tightening more than people expected. Any final observations on either the Wisconsin gubernatorial race or before we move on to Minnesota, I did notice there was one last state navigate state navigate pole that has hung at forty four. Crowley at twenty two. He gained seven from their last poll, Undecided at nine, Calderoy's at eleven, Brennan five, and Barnes is still at six in that pole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see. I mean, I do think the fact that the Republicans have gone behind Tom Tiffany has meant they haven't had any kind of fractious primary on their side. We've had one on ours. I do not think we have shred our assults in glory in this primary. I don't think it looks particularly you have the lieutenant governor dropping out because of some sort of alleged campaign malfeasans by the campaign manager didn't reflect very well, especially in a state that's been dealing with a scandal around fraud and medicaid. You have Crowley who got out then got back in at the behest of Tony Evers, the governor, who could have run again. People thought he would, then he decided not to. And so the end result is people feel like, oh no, we ended up with somebody that has these kind of crazy old posts and has sort of been mired in this sort of right wing scandal for a few days, and all of that I do think has obscured the stakes in this election. The next Wisconsin governor may oversee the the presidential contest that could be close. That person will be responsible for certifying the election. Tom Tiffany is an election denier, and I Democrats we have these big emotional anxiety, anxious, you know, anxious debates about our candidates. We worry about them saying the wrong thing. We worried about them having extreme positions that are out of step with the voters. The Republicans are not doing that, Tom Tiffany. The voters of Wisconsin do not want an election deny or they believe that they believe in free and fair elections, and they believe in a society in which when you lose an election, that's okay. You live to fight another day. You don't claim Donald Trump won and try to tell a bunch of your fellow citizens that their vote doesn't counts. They don't believe in using the Insurrection Act. They don't believe in deporting people to foreign gulags. They don't believe in this mass deportation scheme in which our cities are overrun by Ice agents. And so we have to remind our we have to focus on painting the extremism of Tom Tiffany as the real threat to Wisconsin, and after Wisconsin, after this primary, we have to get our heads in the fucking game.
Speaker 1: We haven't talked a lot about Minnesota. Angie Craig, I would say, is the more moderate candidate she has been. Peggy flanagain has been sort of attacking her on her vote for the Lake and Riley Act, which Craig first defended and then backtracked on. Craig is more pro Israel. She's called off or she said she doesn't want a PAC money in the APAC was still doing some fundraising and some spending for her. She also won't commit to not voting for Schumer. Peggy Flanagin is committing to vote not vote for Schumer as leader. Peggy flan again said she would have supported that vote to cut off military and financially to Israel that they took. Angie Craig didn't vote for that, and Peggy flana again has wanted to you know, reform ized. She has not gone as far to say abolish eye. So it's it's what we've seen in some of these primaries, but not I would say the differences aren't as stark as they maybe were in Michigan or some of the other ones. What do you think about this race? The polling is sort of all over the place, we don't know.
Speaker 2: It reminds me a little like the old saying about like, you know, why is the fight so contentious? Well, because the stakes are so low. I'm not saying the stakes the stakes are low. They're actually quite high. They're big differences between them. But I think a part because people think we can win in Minnesota, and because I think Peggy Flanagan is not sort of a DSA city council person. She's a right, Lieutenant governor that a lot of people really respect for. Andrew Craig. Is me a little to her right or more you a lot to her write whatever, it feels a little bit less. It's got a little less certainly national attention, and I honestly a little lestention for me. I've had Peggy flan again on the show. I really like her. I really like her.
Speaker 3: I have no no.
Speaker 2: Knock on Angie Cragg, but I just Peggy Flanagin is just a really inspiring person to me. She has to be the first woman Native American to be elected to the Senate, and just a really dynamic and interesting person.
Speaker 1: I think it is because, like you said, whoever wins, I don't know that it changes like the race rating. I don't think it makes it more of a toss up if Flannagan wins or versus Craig or vice versa. The other reason it might have gotten closes. Angie Craig's been going after Flannagan for her connections to the state's fraud crisis that Wallace has been dealing with, that the Republicans have been all over. It's remember it's what originally led Trump to send in Ice to Minnesota and all that. So she's been trying to tagger with that, so that might be and basically saying make it an electability argument, saying that if Flannagan wins, that Republicans will spend the whole race tying her to the fraud crisis as well. Now, you could argue that they'll probably do the same to Angie Craig, even though she's not the lieutenant governor, because they'll just say any politician in Minnesota is part of the fraud crisis. But you know, that's one one argument they're having there, all right. Speaking of the Minnesota primary, I don't know if you saw the story about Royce White over on the Republican side. He is a former NBA player who has run before for federal office and is now trying to get in on the discourse about the w NBA and trans rights by declaring that he's entering the w NBA draft. Niskanter Freedom has also made this Another NBA player has also a former NBA player, has also made this announcement as well. White even put on a wig in interviews with Alex Jones and Benny Johnson. Because that's what we're doing now. Most folks on the writer are eating this up. It's also causing some conflict because it's forcing them to talk about women's sports. Here's our boy, Jesse Waters struggling with this very problem.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: This is week three of the five covering the WNBA, and I have to say I am done. I hate the WNBA. I mean, I don't mind women's basketball. My girls play basketball, but I don't want to cover women's basketball. I don't want to be a WNBA analyst.
Speaker 12: We get paid to have an opinion about everything, and this is something I don't care about. Every time I open up the rundown and see the WNBA in it.
Speaker 11: I feel like Jessica must feel every day. We have to do this again, really this again.
Speaker 2: I don't know father of daughters, a father of daughters, you know, as you know John, And I'm a season ticket holder to angel City. That's right, that's the women's soccer team here in Los Angeles. That is because I am married to someone who used to basically be a lesbian and they just kept the women's sports when they transition. So we go to the games and we have a great time. And there was a little dust up about this.
Speaker 3: A couple of.
Speaker 2: Months ago, a player wrote an op ed about about this and believing that people that were born as a biologically male shouldn't play in women's sports and that there should be a regime of testing. And this led to, you know, the debate we've had at nauseum about well, if you have a regime of testing that just punishes women who are forced to be examined, when this ends up putting more power in the hands of the men, and it really kind of creates a situation in which women have to prove that they're women. And all of this debate is happening. And do you know how many trans athletes there were in the National Women's Soccer League at that time?
Speaker 1: Zero? Zero, same as zero right now.
Speaker 2: It's zero. And so they really like talking about this, They really like talking about women's sports, and I suppose that they can keep doing it. And if these guys and there are people who believe that if you've gone through a transition, that doesn't give you any advantage, or others who simply say, if you went through male puberty you have an advantage. It doesn't matter what happens. And I'll leave that other up to experts to decide However, if they would like to play in the w NBA, they better fucking transition. Let's get them on some fucking hormones. They let's get let's let's let's get them in there, let's get for a couple of years. Let's see it boys.
Speaker 1: I mean not to get into it, but they seem to think that it's just based on self identification, that if you just say I identify as a woman, that you are eligible for the w NBA Draft, And nothing in the rules says that the league is going to have to figure out what the rules do say or like or what the qualifications are because it says you have to be a woman, But like, what does that mean if someone ever wanted to who has transitioned, if someone ever wanted to play in the w NBA that they're they're not dealing with that. They're dealing with a couple of men who have not transitioned. They're just saying that women and putting on wigs, which is a very different thing. But uh yeah, that's that's that's what we're doing right now. Just just two men who really want to get attention is where we're at.
Speaker 2: And even Jesse Waters doesn't want to give it to them. Even Jesse Waters is bored by this. Uh yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's that's what's happening. That's what's happening.
Speaker 2: Good Luck follows.
Speaker 1: Well, they're getting some attention, all right. Last thing before we get to Lovet's interview with Sam Forstagg. Tucker Carlson's new coalition includes Marjorie Taylor Green, Thomas Massey, and maybe Hunter Biden. On Monday, Carlson released a highly anticipated I guess two hour interview with Hunter Biden, who he's just he is just making the rounds Hunter Biden. Here's a clip. Here's here's how it went.
Speaker 6: I'm supposed to hate Tucker Carlson because he's an anti Semite and he's this, I know not you're not an insistent might.
Speaker 3: I might know?
Speaker 6: No, that's what my point being?
Speaker 1: Is it? That would just say? So?
Speaker 6: My point being is is it like if it's anti Semitic to point out that bb net NYA who is evil incarnate, then you know what, I don't know what to say to I don't know what to say to people anymore.
Speaker 1: What do you think? What do you think about all this? He started by talking about how much how much he loves Candace Owns because he did Candace's show too.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like he He's got like all of Joe Biden's ego, but like none of the civic mindedness. Is how it always feels to me.
Speaker 1: Well, it was very It's he's just doing like a pander thing, right, which is like it's a little bideny where he like wants to be sort of nice and gracious to the person he's sitting down with, but he does it in a way by being like, oh, yeah, everything you say is amazing and great. What oh I oh, I have disagreements with you, disagreements with you, but like I don't think you're an anti Semite blah blah blah. And it's like also going after bb net yah who liked that too, And I'm like, where where's your dad on this one?
Speaker 2: Well, it's also it's so fun to only argue with the dumbest version of your opponents. That's true when you put a wig on and try to join the WNBA. It's also true when you say it's anti semitic, to say that Bibinga and Yaho is evil?
Speaker 1: What are we doing it?
Speaker 2: Well, actually, it's I'd say, why don't you have a maybe sort of interrogat a less stupid version of this and see how far you get there. Like Tucker Carlson has had Holocaust deniers on his show. He has embraced a whole host of anti Semitic conspiracy theories. He has been flirting with all kinds of anti Semitism. He has accused so many people of having dual loyalties, like, he has engaged in a ton of like anti Semitic tropes, he has used anti semitism, and how he makes his arguments, whether you want to sit there and sort of be the arbiter of whether or not Tucker's an anti anti Semite. For whatever reason, white people tend to be circumspect about saying to other white people, you're not a racist, right, But somehow when it comes to anti Semitism, there's a lot of people that aren't wish that'll allow to be Like I've checked and you're not and said, well okay, buddy, great, Thanks thanks for letting us know. We were waiting for the Hunter Biden in premature on Tucker Carlson to let us know whether Tucker Carlson is an antisemit or not. And now there's one last thing.
Speaker 1: To worry about. Here's my thing about the whole Hunter Biden media tour on all of the various right wing hosts and all the different places he's going, I'm not like, this is not a debate for me about like the platforming, And you can't go on someone's show that you that you think is awful or whatever. It's like, if you're going to do that, have a discussion that is about the places where you disagree, have a little debate about it. You don't have to be screaming at each other if you don't want. But like, if you're just going to go there to be like, oh, you're actually awesome and and then like wait for Tucker or Candace or whatever to be like and I'm sorry that I went after you so hard, Hunter, when you know your dad was president, Like what is the point of that? Well, Like, who gains from that other than you? That's my question, Like, what what kind of good are you doing? Are you introducing Tucker's audience to Hunter Biden's views on the situation that are different than what Tucker Carlson believes in. Because if that's the case, that's one thing but that's not what he did there. That's not what he's doing with the canvas Owens. It's not me. He would be fucking sat with Nick Funtes like, what are you doing? Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah? To what end is all of this?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: To what end aside from like your attention?
Speaker 1: Yes, right, that's the thing. And I like, again, I don't want to assign motivations because maybe there is some other motivation, but I don't know, I don't know what the intention is other than sort of just because all he keeps doing is just going in these shows and pandering to the to the host.
Speaker 2: It also is like there's a certain kind of sort of broken brain person on social media that's been just really eating up the the Hunter Biden tour. They love it, they love it.
Speaker 3: It's like like.
Speaker 2: He's some kort of sort of world weary truth teller, you know, like he's trying like he like he's traveling around kind of telling these sort of forbidden truths, like the forbidden truths being that like I guess Mike Johnson's gay and Tucker Carlson loves Jews, Like that's what.
Speaker 1: I forgot about them. Mike Johnson, Yeah, all these Republicans are in the closet thing.
Speaker 2: And that the closetocracy, he called it, is like the is actually the bigger threat than oligarchy, which is like, okay, man, and just it's this weird.
Speaker 1: But I guarantee if you sat down in one of those interviews with one of the Republicans that he had accused of being in the closet, he would be like, oh, not you. I think you're great.
Speaker 2: No, I think you love We.
Speaker 3: No, no, we.
Speaker 1: Definitely we disagree on a lot, but you're amazing. You're amazing. It's just it's just very predictable what's going to happen every table.
Speaker 2: It's also just like and like, you know, I agree, like actually like boy, politics sure seems not like no fun when you talk about hard issues and get into the nuance of things and question Tucker Carlston about his views and actually sort of interrogate some of these difficult and thorny issues that we're facing, or why the right has become so radical and conspiratorial and extreme, or what actually drives politics to not work for people When you're not saying it's because Josh Holly is secretly gay and actually anti Semitism, isn't that isn't isn't connected to what's happening on the right whatever you want to say, like, yeah, it gets it's almost like becomes like work. You have to really focus on it and spend a lot of time on it, and it sucks. I agree.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Come on Pod Save America anytime, all right when we come back, Montana House candidate Sam forsdag Podsave America is brought to you by Built. Here's a question, are you getting rewarded for paying your rent or mortgage right now? If the answer is no, you need to check out Built. Becoming a Built member means earning points on every housing payment no matter where you live. Built points can be redeemed for flights, hotels, lyft rides, Amazon dot Com, purchases, future housing payments and more. Some other things that that you can redeem Built points for parking with Metropolis gift cards at over one hundred and twenty brands are There's some restaurants, student loan balances, fitness classes at soul Cycle or Barries heard of it, Love Barris. Built New AI neighborhood concierge doesn't just answer questions, it executes tasks from paying your rent and haling a lift to booking dinner reservations across fifty thousand plus partners. It handles your to do list while automatically applying your member benefits. First, download the Built app. Second link any credit or debit card to the app, so purchases at your local spots become even more rewarding. In third, ask the neighborhood concierge in the app pretty much anything, and it'll alert you about exclusive member benefits near your home. Download the Built app and join the membership for where you live at Join Built dot com slash crooked. That's JOI n b I lt dot com slash crooked. Use our link so they know we sent you.
Speaker 2: Sam Forsad, Welcome to the pod.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, let's just give people some background on who you are and what led you to run for Congress. You're a smoke jumper and this is your first time running for office. Just tell me about yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's my first time running for anything higher than vice president of my union local. Until seven months ago, I worked as a smoke jumper for the US Forest Service. So in the short version of that as we parachuting in a remote wildfires to put them out while they're still small. And I was a leader in my union's local when all the dose cuts began, and what that looked like in Montana is in large part you know, they said it was all about government efficiency, but the people we lost for the lowest paid workers we've got in our agency. I mean, when they have fired three hundred and sixty Montana's just in the Forest Service, just on Valentine's Day two years ago, eighty five percent of them were GS six's or below, making nineteen seventy an hour or less. In my agency, it was people, the people who swing the tools and conduct the science to maintain our public lands. And when I reached out to Ryan Zanke, the Republican in the seat, who should be the person you can reach out to when your members lives you're being turned upside down, I got crickets. So I decided, if he's going to take my co worker's jobs, I'm going to come take CA.
Speaker 2: Just so people understand, like how just to get when Doge comes in and makes cuts to save money. Sure, what happens when you're trying to say, put out a fire quickly before it gets bigger, Like walk people through what happens if, say, the equipment you used to rely on is no longer available like day to day? What did it mean for them to try to make government more efficient?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's pretty clear none of this was about efficiency. It's about power and consolidating that power in the hands of a select few, including the righteous man in the world who happened to be at the helmet this thing. But on the ground, what it looked like even last year, and I know it's worse right now, is public safety was hampered. I mean I jumped a fire in early July last year, a time when usually you are not in a state of resource scarcity. Resources being the demand power and the people you need to help fight a fire if you don't catch it with those first eight jumpers on the ground and setting up a task force, and I get told, Hey, I know you're requesting three hotshot crews. They're none available in the region, so we're going to order six contract hand crews instead because they don't have the same capabilities. So we're going to need more people and that's the only way we get any help to you. In the next few days. What it means on the ground is we all pay so much more for so much less, and it takes longer to fight those fires. And I mean those stories are endless.
Speaker 2: And so you're making I know, you've been doing this for with seven years and you're making nineteen dollars nineteen seventy five an hour, seven years in And because of these cuts, they have to bring in contractors in private companies that are going to make much more money. Yeah, and cost a lot more than what the kind of the trained people would have done.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the real goal here was cuts and privatization to turn into another source of profit. You know. Another story is last year I jumped the fire outside of Steamboat Springs in Colorado. And you know, as jumpers, most fires we catch with the first you know, four to eight twelve smoke jumpers on the ground. But when you don't, you step back and you set up a large incident to make sure that you can save houses. We had hundreds of houses at risk in the immediate vicinity this fire. We ended up catching at around five hundred acres and on the second day I put in order for pumps and hoses, which is a pretty basic fire fighting implement just to get water to the line. And they tell me, well, we used to have a gear cash here and steamboat last year, but they that they shut that down with the cuts. So you're not going to get those pumps and hoses until the end of next shift because we have to overnight airmail the pump and hose kit from Denver to Steamboat and we got to drive it up to the line and then we got to get it up to you. So you're not getting it till the end of the day tomorrow. So not only is our firefighting hampered, I mean I cannot imagine a more expensive way to deliver hundreds of pounds of water pumps than that.
Speaker 2: So you're a smoke jumper and just that basically you're going to the places where cars can't reach, vehicles can't get to, to try to solve problems before they get bigger. What does that look like if there's a smoke jumper in Congress, Like, what do you see as the problem you're trying to surge to that you view as a failure to get enough attention?
Speaker 3: Right now? I really smoke jumping like a lot of firefighting, right We're not so different from hotshot cruise or engine cruise. You're training crisis management and whether it is the housings that we're dealing with in western Montana, where we have the least affordable housing market in the country. That's a surprise to a lot of people, I think Japana. Yeah, I didn't realize that until learning about this. It's you know, you're making nineteen, say nineteen dollars an hour in an area that we think of his rural, so must be cheaper. But the average house is what like five hundred thousand dollars nowadays. In Missoula it's just shy six hundred k. You go to Bozeman, it's around nine hundred thousand dollars in a place where a decade ago is probably closer to two hundred thousand. The Flathead Valley in northwest Montana not so different. So, I mean the crises are you know, it's in housing, it's in healthcare, it's in childcare, where again medium wage is sixty thousand dollars in Montana, the average cost of childcare is just shied nineteen k if you can make it through a waiting list. And these are all crises that so many people have felt like our elected leaders at the federal level aren't dealing with any sense of urgency with And we had leadership nationally not so long ago telling us the economy is better than you think it is.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, yeah, me and a whole lot of my coworkers, Well, at the end of four years of democratic control, I'm running it's a Democrat. While yeah, we're making nineteen bucks an hour and you're in a community where you'd be lucky to find a home for less than five hundred thousand bucks. And life did not get better if you're in a situation like that over the preceding four years, and people felt like the folks in power at the national level are not listening to us quite clearly. I mean, what better articulation of a disconnect than to tell people things are better than you think it is, while homelessness just doubled or tripled in every major city in Montana over the preceding five years.
Speaker 2: What's interesting is when you say we've had leaders saying the economy is better than you think it is. I genuinely don't know if you're talking about Joe Biden or Donald Trump. One thing you said recently, is that the National Party did everything they could to make it hard for a Democrat to win in places like Western Montana. What do you mean by that?
Speaker 3: What I mean is we had people at the national level who quite literally were not listening to us, and we have people who are dealing with a housing crisis twenty miles away from what you and I were talking about earlier, places like the Yellowstone Club where you got to be a multimillionaire just to be considered for membership, and you go twenty miles up the canyon, you're in Bozeman. Well, we have homelessness that's doubled or triple. You have people living in the back of their cars or trailers, and people who felt like, rightfully their problems were not being solved to the national level. And when that's the case, when things are that bad, process is not an adequate excuse for not dealing with those things. And I want to note I would offer the National Party that all they could to make it hard for Democrat to win. The Democrat did just win the seat I'm running for. It's Montana's first congressional district. John Tester won Western Montana while he lost the state last year by just shy up a point, even in a tough environment like that, So we know we can win this thing. And the project here is to win in a meaningful way and rebuild the coalition we used to have when we could win statewide and when Democrats could conceive of ever having a meaningful majority in the US Senate.
Speaker 2: You know, you've seen people talking about like abolishing the Senate. It seems like for a lot of people it's easier for them to wrap their minds around fundamentally changing the Constitution than winning in places like Montana state wide. Again, even though John Tester represented Montana in the Senate. Max Bocchus, what do you think right now? Is like five bunch of Montana and asked a bunch of people. When you think of a Democrat, you think of blank, Like what do they think when they hear about a Democrat?
Speaker 3: I think right now people think about John Tester, who was our senator until a year and a half ago, and not so long ago, Democrats had serious power in place like Montana. I mean, two thousand and nine, we had a fifty to fifty split in our state Senate. We used to have it. In twenty sixteen, we had a Democratic governor, Steve Bullock, who was re elected on the same ticket as Donald Trump. Twenty eighteen, John Tester re elected again in our state. Democrats have found a win in Montana, to win even when Donald Trump is gaining power. I mean, eighteen thousand Montanna's voted for Donald Trump and John Tester in twenty twenty four. Those are the people who deserve a candidate who's actually going to speak to our experience and talk about how government needs to be a thing that can make your life materially better when the market is not meeting that need. And government has also been failing on that job for a long time. And I think clearly you look at what's happening around the country or even in our race. Right where I started this primary, nobody knew who the heck I was in December of last year, and we had a crowded, competitive primary that included a candidate who was the Democratic nominee for governor last year, people who'd been running for a year. And what we saw is that people are really hungry for candidates or for just anybody who can actually reflect our experience and say, like, it's not just your problem. The fact that people can't afford a house. It's not just your problem that when your car makes a funny noise, well that might mean you can't afford rent next month. Because I've lived it too. It is our problem. And of course people are going to address problems with more urgency if you've lived them.
Speaker 2: How much do you think the way like so the way Democrats we have Obviously there's like a huge problem with like the Democratic brand. How much of that do you ascribe to, say, like right wing media of hammering people, kind of pulling the most extreme versions of a Democrat. And then how much you actually laid at the feet of the Democrats themselves.
Speaker 3: John I would say, we hold these truths to be self evident. The Democratic Party messed up pretty damn bad, and they got us into this situation. We had four years of power. Yeah, people were facing massive issues. I mean between fire seasons, I helped put together the Montana Coalition to solve homelessness. We pulled a dozen homeless shelters together from around the state and we ended up getting some legislation passed in a Republican supermajority, the first one in state history. And the reason that was able to happen is because the problems were so damn bad. I mean, quite literally, I'm not exaggerating. We have tripled the number of on house people in a place like Montana. We're in the northern Rockies. It is not a hospitable place to be living on the streets. People die every year. And I mean if you were working two or three jobs at a time, like I was the entire time I was going to college and still graduating with debt, and you look up and people are telling you the institutions they just need tweaked a little bit. That does not inspire faith. Yeah, that doesn't give anyone a reason to be hopeful or to engage with politics. And so what happened. A lot of young people did not engage with politics last year. They did not turn out and vote, and we are now quite literally not the party of working people. Most working people, most folks making under a hundred cages voted for Republicans or shoot unions. Right, I come from a union background. We have the Gibraltar of unionism in Montana. It's but most incredible town you can go to Western Montana. Well half a union members voted for Republicans last year and a lot of young people didn't turn out. Those are all the people that are the base of the Democratic Party I want to be a part of. And if we can't give those people a reason to actually engage, and we can't show them that there's a place in this party for them, not just for the people who are rich enough to make it through these processes that we create for federal candidates, well then we don't deserve their support. So let's win it back.
Speaker 2: So Joe Biden, he's this, I think, longtime centrist figure. He wins in twenty twenty, and he actually tries to bring in Bernie, he brings in Elizabeth Warren, he puts in a trustbuster at the FTC. He governs much further the left anybody would have expected Joe Biden to govern, still not as far as some people would have wanted him to go. Has some success, and Democrats are largely punished, in part because of all the obstacles like the filibuster in the Senate, the Supreme Court, like Democrats are in some ways punished because he's unable to fully achieve his agenda. And then they and then who wins the Republicans who are then immediately deregulate past massive tax cuts to the rich, overturn put on judges to overturn row and environmental and union regulations.
Speaker 3: I got it all.
Speaker 2: And so so look, when you're talking to people in your union that that voted for Zinky or voted for Trump, like, how how do you how do you talk about this? Like what what's your argument?
Speaker 3: My argument is that I understand why a lot of people, like my coworkers and union members, some of them voted for the schlubs who were tearing all this down all around us. And man, does it piss me off somebody who spent a year and a half working with members who I mean? I remember Kara who lost her job in one day, with no cause, no notice, fifteen years into a federal service because she just happened to have taken a lateral transfer that year to do more remote work during chemotherapy. You know, members are getting texts in line at the airport to go to their grandmother's funerals saying they lost their job. They were only making sixteen bucks an hour at in the first place. But you know what, I also work with a lot of people who, well, if you're making sixteen bucks an hour, and you're working for the federal government, and housing costs have just doubled or tripled in your community and you can't conceive of ever owning a home. Well, your life just got worse. And as far as I'm concerned, there are two primary roles for the federal government. First and foremost, it's to protect your constitutional freedoms right a lot of those in the Bill of Rights of Freedoms from the government. Second, it's to make sure you can meet your basic material needs when the market is not meeting them, and the market was meeting them even worse after four years of democratic control. And you know what, if you are working two or three jobs at a time, or if you're working a thousand hours of overtime like I had to just to scrimp buy through a winter on my mortgage for a nine hundred eighty square foot home, you might not have the time to follow the intricacies of policymaking or politics. You shouldn't have to to be able to judge the people in power on what sort of results they delivered for you. And so I would just say, like, the people we need to win back are a lot of the people who got these folks elected. It's a lot of working people, there's a lot of union members, and it's folks. So you don't start a conversation with by telling them that they're wrong, because it frustrates me so much to hear people what I hear off and say like, well do they see Like why are people voting outside of their own their own self interest, their own material self interest. It's not more in your interest to vote for somebody who's going to make your life worse a little slower than the other guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Also, don't tell people what their interests are. Presumably, So there's also been a part of this debate about how did the Democratic Party lose the men? What happened to the men and the working class? And a lot of people tend to get.
Speaker 3: Better place to address than a podcast student.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two guys in a podcast studio. This is where we're supposed to solve it all. But you know, I think Ester has talked about wokeness as being part of this. You said something interesting the other day, which is just that basically, if you have a member of Congress who's worth millions of dollars trying to be a tribune for the working class, that person may feel a little bit more afraid to say pushback on trans issues or have a position that might not have a majority, but actually they want to be supportive of trans people.
Speaker 1: How do you think about this?
Speaker 2: What do you think that the social issues are part of democrats problems? Like Bernie has Because he's such a kind of people understand what Bernie stands for. He's had, on the other hand, more room to say, you know what, I don't think we should defund the police, or we do need to have a strong boarder.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of it comes back to credibility. And I had this fascinating split screen for the last eight years of my life where I'm doing wild and fire in the summers six to nine months out of the year, and then I was doing organizing an advocacy in the winters. Between that, I worked for the coalition at Homos Shelters, I mentioned for the State Library Association, even for the ACLU, and I well, when I would be in the middle of fire season, there's not a lot of other jumpers who go do policy work, and so you bet your tell. Everybody wants to ask me about whatever they might have seen on the news. Maybe it was on Fox news and if we got time in between digging line or cutting line, you know, I tell them, you know that story. Well, here are the people that I know in the winters who are just trying to live their life with dignity without government telling them how to do it. And I think that that's a pizza that that has been lost. And I'll tell them what else I saw when I'm at the state legislature is well, we just saw in twenty seventeen deep cuts and a dismantling of our mental health services in the state when we had a budget shortfall. And over the following eight years when we had surpluses, did they reinvest in all those basic public health care services that they cut. No, they invested in tax cuts to cut the top income tax bracket year after year after year. And that's the same thing we see at the federal level. And it's what it is is it is big brother not watching you because they don't need to now even though they can. They're singing and dancing. Well, they pick all of our pockets as working people. And by the end of that conversation, a lot of my coworkers are prett passed. They weren't pissed about what they saw on the news. They're pissed about the fact that that is why I am poorer, and that is why I am poorer in a world where we just meanted the first human trillionaire. That's something that should make us angry. And that's the sort of grievance of all the festering, misdirected grievances. That kind of economic grievance is what governments supposed to be here to help address.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about your opponent. Zinki won this race most recently by eight you said, John Tester one more votes there even as he wasn't able to eke out a victory. It's very very close right now. What is the case you're trying to make in the closing days to try to get more people to understand why your opponent, just the sort of trump back talk radio host, is not exactly what Montana needs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the contrast here could not be any better if you ask me. I mean, yeah, the fellow I'm running against, he was the handpicked successor for Ryanzink. You dropped out of this race about four months ago in good riddance, and he dropped out because he saw it wasn't gonna be easy for him after a whole year spent gutting basic public services that people like me might have depended on as a kid, and his belly was full thanks to food stamps sometimes cutting our public lands where if there's a consensus issue in Montana, it's our public lands. And so what did he do? He dropped out with forty eight hours until the filing deadline and immediately endorsed this spell. Aaron Flint, who's a far right talk radio host. He spent the last ten years in an air conditioned recording studio, spewing hate and hot air and nothing against their conditions. What's wrong with it?
Speaker 2: I don't think. I think you're sort of losing the up over. There's nothing you do a lot of good work in an air condition recording studio. Sorry, continued well.
Speaker 3: And we got the guy is a political pundit, and we have plenty of pundits and political puppets in Washington right now. I would offer there's no dearth of those. We got enough of them. What we do have a lack of is working people who know what it's like to be working three jobs at a time and still paying your rent on a credit card. I know what that's like. People who actually know what it's like to have your belly full because of food stamps or thanks to food stamps when your parent falls on a hard time, and like people who don't have that perspective are going to perhaps fight with a little bit less urgency when SNAP benefits get used as leverage during a government shutdown like they did this last time around, when half of my members were furloughed at the end of those six weeks, and a lot of them are showing up at local food banks that are also having occur tail food benefits because some of that comes from SNAP. It just feels like across the board there has truly been a lack of urgency. When we had the political will to pass really big important legislation like you mentioned, like the IRA right well, a whole lot of that money never actually got out the door, and people are hurting right now. I mean, if you were on the edge of not having your home, like Kathy, whose house I was at. Kathy lives a mile from my house. She's in now one of four thousand mobile home lots that are owned by out of state private equity firms in the state of Montana. And Kathy's lot rent has gone from three hundred and seventy bucks a month to over eight hundred dollars. Kathy doesn't have ten years to wait for all these resources to propagate through the system and for half of them to go to large corporations so that maybe her life gets better. Like, Kathy needs help right now, and it feels like we did not deliver that help to people who really desperately needed it. And well what happens The party out of power gets elected and it turns into something really scary and dangerous.
Speaker 2: There's also a big fight in Montana now over data centers. There's a lot of there's a lot of outside money. They see Montana. It's cool, there's a lot of land, you can build a lot of big facilities. Yeah, where are you on building data centers in Montana? And how does that contrast with the Republicans?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, my opponent got the better part of a million dollars from American Mission, one of Open AI's super packs just in the month of May to get him through his primary, even though they tried to make sure no one could run against the guy. So what we're up against is a pretty terrifying amount of money that this industry is planning to leverage in this election. I think one hundred and fifty million they're planning to drop on elections just this year. For us, well, we have a proposed center that is in theory going to use more electricity than every residential home in the state of Montana. And our power rates have already gone up thirty or forty percent in the last three years. So what I would offer is we need to pass the damn law at the federal level saying they can't build these things until unless they show that they're going to provide all their own palwerce doesn't have to be on site, off sites. Even better, put power on the grid. We need it, ideally carbon neutral power, making sure that they're not going to dirty our air and water. I mean, you see these terrifying videos of dirty water. Well, there are more water efficient cooling systems that cost a little bit more, but this industry they can afford it. They're planned to spend four trillion bucks on data set development in the next seven years. Right now, we have none of that. All we have is an executive order trying to preempt state regulations on AI and where I am too. I'm coming at this. I'm also a relatively young candidate. I think that this technology is perhaps the biggest existential threat that we've got as a country. I mean, we've read the sci fi novel before. We're all living in it right now. This is if their promises are true, Well, this is a technology that could it could cure cancer or it could kill all of humanity, and we in.
Speaker 2: It's a big delta there, It's a big difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and right now it seems like we're only using it for all the bad stuff. And what in the last two weeks you're probably tracking, we had two instances of these models breaking out of the system and hacking into other outfits, and they're we're at a full scale cyber attack from an aisystem and nobody knows. There's no oversight or regulation of this right now functionally speaking. And if we can't get our arms around it and have real federal oversight and make it so we're ready to pull the plug on this thing if it poses a threat to the future of our children in our country, like, we're going to be in a tough spot.
Speaker 2: One other issue that's been roiling in Montana is because in part for what all the reasons you're saying, the Democratic brand can be pretty toxic. You have an independent that has a lot of backing from This is the first I've heard about them.
Speaker 3: First've heard of it.
Speaker 2: Now, So for people that don't know about it, Basically, there is an independent that's running with the backing of a lot of Democratic politicians. Is also a Democratic candidate on the ballot. Today, as we're recording, this is the last day for that Democratic candidate to drop out so that everyone can coalesce around the independent candidate. Do you believe that Bankman should.
Speaker 3: Drop out right now? Yeah, today's the deadline. I think they just had a press conference last couple hours. I think it's the third or fourth and last week between the two of them. Yeah, each one announcing I'm still running. IM still run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're both still running.
Speaker 3: Yeah, still here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting like game theory problem because they're like, there's been a brinkmanship, But what do you want to have? It's what do you want to have happened before midnight today?
Speaker 3: What I want is to make sure Kurt all Me, who's the Republican running in that race, is not our next senator. And I will be entirely honest, I'm so deeply frustrated with the entirety of how this thing is played out. Yeah, I mean the probably north eight million dollars has been sent to spent to manufacture this situation we're in right now, where neither candidate's going to have a chance of winning against the Republican as long as they're both in this race. That's obscene. Yeah, like that is actually disgusting. We have all, whichever angle you're looking at this from, we've all swallowed a spider to kill a fly. And I mean eight million dollars again, that is pearls before swine in a state where people are being pushed out onto the streets because they can't afford the basics at this point of coin flip would be better than what they got going right now. And what I've been telling the both of them is that I really hope that they will both sit down in person in a room and sort this out, because a lot of how we got here as a country is a lot of our national leaders were putting their own ego before the good of the country, and it feels like nothing changes, and well, the reality is nothing changes unless we go change it ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like god, a coin flip would work. Can we just do that, wouldn't? I mean, like, basically, after you we want one candidate to go up against the Republican and one of them would have to drop out, but not everyone.
Speaker 3: Wants to do it.
Speaker 2: It's basically where we're at.
Speaker 3: And it sounds like.
Speaker 2: You would, you'd you just want one of them to drop out and by the.
Speaker 3: End of the day, Yeah, I would better than the situation we're in, this this standoff.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: And but I will tell you too that center race. Uh, you know, I have faith in them to sort this out and to do the exercise the basic skills that my dad, who's the kindergarten teachers teaching his students. Right, Oh, sit down, look at each other, have a conversation. But if they whether or not they do that. Western Montana, Montana's first is where we have a chance to win. Yeah, this is the place a Democrat just won by just by almost one percent. And I think there's a real time temptation to just spend all your time talking about whatever. Yeah, the if it bleeds, it reads, you know, wherever the controversy is. But this is a place where we just had to turn out in the Democratic primary up seventeen percent. It was down for on the Republican side, Like this is a place where we can have a foothold in a place like western Montana or the Rocky Mountain West or rural America, something that Democrats don't really have right now. So yeah, we're spending all our time talking about that. And whichever way that race goes, I think both of those are very different kinds of candidates.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, and whatever happens by the end of the day, that's what will happen. And then we have to focus on doing whatever we can to win your seat and the Senate race.
Speaker 3: And people can go to Sam Fromontana dot com if they want to help out.
Speaker 2: They can go to Sam for Montana if they want to help out. And you're gonna have a lot of money coming up against you, and in a state like Montana, like you know, a million dollars dropping that race can have a huge, huge impact. What are people that what did Democrats not understand about Mentata, Like you forget even just the politics just as a place, what people care about. I think it's a lot of kind of assumptions people make about like rural voters, how they view the environment, how they view public lands, Like what do people miss?
Speaker 3: I mean, our public lands are a way of life truly. I mean you're protecting your gun rights and protecting your public lands. Those are the two consensus issues in a place like Montana, because well, that's what people depend on. To keep your freezer full. If you go to your public lands and use them for hunting, that is how people find sustenance. That's what people depend on. If you can squeeze in a Sunday afternoon between your three shifts just to go hike in or skiing, like, that's what makes it worth living. And that is not a Democrat or Republican issue. I mean part of what pushed me into this race in November, when I was thinking about is it worth leaving behind smoke jumping, which is the only retirement, the only healthcare I had, the only career. I really had to run for this office because whatever the administration tells me, the Hatch Act exists, and you cannot run for public office federal employee. I got a mailer from Ryan Zinkey saying that he's the Teddy Roosevelt of public lands. A year into all of these these where my members' lives are being turned upside down, or we're down twenty percent, we've lost two thousand red carded firefighters. We're all seeing what the consequences of those are right now, where we got smoke choke skies in Montana and less people to fight all those fires. And he's sending out a mailer with his little Teddy Roosevelt had on and his boy scout outfit. Everybody claims they're for public lands, but it's a lot like these other issues, Like public lands aren't just lines on the map. There are a lot of people, most of them not making a lot of money, who work their tails off to make sure you can make it up a road to the trailhead or up a trail to access your forest. And a lot of those people are core to the rural economies. If you go down to Hamilton, well you got Rocky Mountain Labs, who's lost thirty or forty employees so far, you have forest service outposts. These are a core part of our community in our economy, and we all just got gutted. And so people are pissed, and they should be pissed, but being pissed is not enough. And you know when people say, well, are your friends who might have voted for these guys ready to see they were wrong, That's not what it is. I think right now people are just angry at both parties because you're paying for twenty a gallon at the pump for unleaded and we're in another war that this guy started, this time that none of us wanted, and we're spending billions overseas and all of our lives are worse. So we got to move past being pissed and being angry and talk about reimagining a lot of the programs that Montana's helped pass, Like Mike Mansfield was the leader of the US Senate from Montana who ushered through the Great Society and create helped create Medicare and Medicaid and NPR and PBS, and these are all the things that are under attact. They're all the things we're called on to reimagine and expand so people can meet their basic needs and have time for the kind of empathy and compassion that your neighbor deserves.
Speaker 2: Sam, I am forty three. I'm about to turn forty four.
Speaker 3: Your skill looks great.
Speaker 2: I skim it fantastic. Thank you for saying that. Could I be a smoke jumper? How athleticism? How much is required? Am I passed my prime?
Speaker 3: Is it possible? You know? I fell a rookie at forty seven? A few Wow, I'm looking at you. I mean you look pretty arn fit just from across the microphone. But No, what's required is it's a six week rookie training program. Most people got five or six years, five to ten years of fire experience before you get picked up, and about forty percent of people make it through. So it's six weeks of getting the hell beat out of you and PT and learning how to pilot a parachute.
Speaker 2: I want to know what a parachute.
Speaker 3: No, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I've I forgot about the jumping part. I want to know what the like physical I would like to know what those like. What is like the physical requirements that I would like to do a smoke jumper training? Yeah, and maybe I don't think I can jump out of a plane. I actually struggle from a high diving board to jump into a pool. So I think that's like probably not for me, but maybe I could do the training. Sam forest Ac, thank you so much. I keep forgetting the website. What's the website again?
Speaker 3: The website is Samfromontana dot com or you can find us on socials. It's just at Sam forest Egg across platforms, and I need all the help I can get. It is a rare thing to see a working person in the halls of power, and I need. If everyone pulls together and helps out, well, we can actually make this happen and we can start changing the country, our country for the better. Thank you so much, Thank you John.
Speaker 1: That's our shoue for today. Thanks to Sam forstad for coming on. Dan and I will be back with a new show on Friday. Potive America is a Crioked media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Farris Afari, with Ree Churlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groate, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlotte Landis Krol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East