Speaker 1: As we do every Wednesday. At the bottom of the hour, we like to check.
Speaker 2: In with Fox thirty one's chief meteorologists, and that's chief not cheap, totally different kind of meteorologists.
Speaker 1: Dave Frasier, Hi day, Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good afternoon. How you doing on this Wednesday?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine, But I obviously didn't look at the weather right because when I left my house in my short sleeves, I was fine.
Speaker 1: I got out of my car in the Tech Center and I was like, wait, what Winter Game? What is happening you?
Speaker 3: You should have stayed at your south command. It's a little warmer down here than it is up that way. Yeah is yeah, yeah. So we had a weak cold front come in last night and it moved from the It came down I seventy six from the north and east, and behind it we have a cool northeast flow. So the farther towards Denver and to the north and east of the airport, you're you're traveling into that cooler air. There's actually some low clouds kind of hanging out just to the east of the airport, and that's kind of factoring in to some changes in the forecast today for timing of showers and thunderstorms a little bit. We see this from time to time where a week cold front or even what we call a backwash from big storms in the Midwest kind of throw higher humidity and some low clouds onto the eastern plains, and that low cloud deck limits heating and therefore removes the chance for thunderstorms. So where the sun is out down here in the Castle Rock area, we think this is the area where some storms after three o'clock would fire up, and then they'll head to the north and east. It won't be a lot of them, but then they'll run into that cooler, lower cloud deck and that will kind of cause them to decrease and become just more light showers than actual thunderstorm. So always fun challenging at this time of the year.
Speaker 1: I have a.
Speaker 2: Question that's not actually a question for you. We were just talking about the governor's race, but this is a weather question. So I'm going to ask you this question, Mandy, could the new governor change tornado watch tornado warning to tornado watch tornado here? I am tired of constantly googling it.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know that is a term that is used nationally. It has been a term that those both of those terms have been around for a long time. It's from the National Weather Service. It's on a federal level. So no, I do not see where the governor would have any authority to do that, and it would cause confusion, and I know it can be confusion. The way I tell people is watch means be prepared. Okay, if you hear a term watch, you need to be prepared. Find out what the being prepared is. Is it being prepared for lightning or hail or gusty wind, or is it in the winter being prepared for potential snow and slick roads. So anytime you hear watch, being prepared, when you hear warning, you have to act. So in a thunderstorm warning, you're going to have lightning, hail, and wind, you need to do your best to get inside and ride the storm out. If you hear tornado warning, you need to get to a safe shelter. Below ground is best. But if you don't have a basement, an interior room away from outside walls and windows, like a bathroom or a closet is the best. So again, watch, be prepared, warning, Act.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have another sassy question from the Common Spirit health text line. Dave, here's a sassy question for you. Does the hot air coming from the gold Dome change the weather?
Speaker 3: Wow, you've got some political people listening today's I'm just glad the last question wasn't like Dave Logan's question, would you be willing to run for governor? And my question would have been, just like you, a flat.
Speaker 1: No, no, not a chance.
Speaker 2: Here's an interesting question, and I think there's a couple different aspects to this. Do weather forecasters pay attention to other networks forecasts?
Speaker 1: Are you guys ever.
Speaker 2: Checking the competition to see how they are doing, or what they're looking at, or any of that stuff to kind of compare how you guys do versus them.
Speaker 3: The answer to that is yes, but not to compare, right, just to kind of see what they're doing. So we make our forecast on our own. We don't even look at the National Service when we make it. They are the governing body. They have a group of forecasters, great forecasters up there in Boulder. They are responsible for the safety of the public by issuing the watches. In the warnings. We have our own mechanisms by which we can get on TV, or on our social platforms or on our website to disseminate the same type of information, cautionary information, things about where storms are. So we watch the competition because yeah, we're all competing, just as you are with other radio stations. We're competing against what the product is that they're putting on the air. Are they doing something? I judge for Emmy Awards and other across the country, and I'll look at entries and I'll look to see is there's somebody doing something that's different, it's catchy, Is a great graphic can illustrate better than something we're doing. So we're constantly robin stealing from that perspective, But we don't look at them and then go, oh, wait a minute, they're going seventy, we're sixty eight. We should probably go seventy. So we don't do it from that perspective.
Speaker 1: Wait, there are the radio stations. I wasn't aware.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I have no idea. And you know I say that jokingly, but I kind of mean it. I'd never pay attention to what the competition is doing because no, especially in this you know, nobody is nobody is doing exactly what I'm doing. Probably a purpose, but I I'm kind of this like you know, Lone Soldier. You're either gonna like me or you're not. There's not a lot I can do to convince you of otherwise.
Speaker 3: I'm up many And on that note, I will say the same thing that watching the competition again, you might be able to gain a little something. But I can't see them right, same as you. You can't be a different host. You can't be roth right, yea, because are two different people, right, and that's the same. I'm not going to look at somebody who does the presentation and go, oh that's cool. I'm going to try and you know, be impersonate them. It just doesn't work that way.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going on with the text line, Dave, but these are all sassy questions, Dave. Is there a proper Is there a proper way to do a rain dance? So far, the hokey pokey is not working in fruta.
Speaker 3: You know. I don't know if there is a magical two step or a tango that will help, but I will tell you that I was looking at some statistics yesterday and if you take out the big snowstorm we had back in the early November. If you removed that one storm from the equation for moisture for the end of twenty twenty four and where we have been struggling here in early twenty twenty five, we are really way behind. Those storms had actually helped to pad the bottom line, if you will. So for snowfall, we're going to come up short for snowfall, and that's not surprising. It would be the third year in a row, the actually fourth year in a row, that we've been short. You go back to twenty twenty one, we were seven inches behind, twenty twenty two seven inches. Last year we were twelve inches, and this year we're going to be about ten inches. So we're going to come up short. And for moisture here in March and April, our growing seasons, it's been stingy, and so you know, we had that great rainy kind of Friday with the snow mixing in last week and it just kind of stayed all day, and you would have thought the totals would have been much much higher, and they weren't. They were meager, tense, two tenths of an inch. We just need better moisture and I just don't have anything right now in the next ten days other than be scattered storms. And if you get under one of those scattered storms, you're fortunate. It may come with some wind, lightning, and some small ale, but you're fortunate to get the moisture.
Speaker 2: This texter said, Hey, Mandy, please ask Dave if there's any basis for the inn like a lion out like a lamb phenomena for March.
Speaker 3: I mean it's an old saying. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes both in and out can be both lions and both lambs. So it is one of those that the hope is if it comes in like a lamb, that it will turn like a lion, meaning we get more active weather or the reverse. Either way, it doesn't dictate what we might see in so far, March was a lamb, and apolsmen a lamb, and let's hope we get some more moisture because aple showers bring may flowers. If we don't get the aple shallers, we're going to be struggling to keep our grasses looking green. Trem as well.
Speaker 2: Last question for you, I've got Rick and Littleton. He wants to know if there's going to be another hard frost in the rest of this spring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, we're starting to get to those questions. We still haven't reached the average date, which is in early May, so I would caution people everything's turning green, do some watering by hand. I know that what people want to know, is it okay you know to turn Yeah. I hedge my bets on those, because I've said it many times with you. I don't want to be the guy that gives me all clear and all of a sudden, the forecast the eight games changes and we're back below freezing and people are busting pipe. So I think you just stay the course, hang on, do some handwatering, connect the hoses if you want to stay away from planting anything in the ground or potting anything. I mean you could pot that you've got to bring it in. But at this point I would say, you know, I'm not seeing any cold snaps, but I'm still seeing temperatures in the mid to upper thirties overnight.
Speaker 1: All right, that's Dave Frasier.
Speaker 2: You can watch his forecast along with the other crack squad of meteorologists over there at Fox thirty one. Dave, we will talk to you next week, my friend.
Speaker 3: All Right, enjoy your Sassity listards.
Speaker 1: They are on fire today.
Speaker 2: You people, you sassy, sassy people on the text line sassy