Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBS Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much to call. I mean, what would people want to listen to a meaningless NFL game that probably neither one of these teams going to make the Super Bowl, or a super packed nightside program. I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to be the person who runs the super packed nightside program. We have four great guests coming up in the first hour. Then I actually agree with the American Several Liberties Union. I agree with them more than people really understand. But they have taken the same position that I have, and that Karen Reid's double jeopardy rights are now in jeopardy as a result of the way the court handled her trial last July, last spring and into July. We'll get to that, and then at ten o'clock we're going to talk about soul weather and what it's all about. So we got all sorts of interesting stuff coming up, and who knows may talk who knows we might talk about later on during the night, but we're going to start off with our first eight o'clock guest tonight, back for a return appearance. Chad finn, sportswriter of the Boston Globe and Chad, welcome back to Nightside.
Speaker 3: How are you or return engagement? I'm good, Dan, how are you?
Speaker 2: You bet you? We have two producers tonight. By the way, I wanted to mention both Noah and Dan. Rob is off tonight, So we got two people carrying the load in the control room and they've already set up Chad, and we have three more guests to go. So, Chad, it was twenty years ago, twenty years ago that the cursor the Bambino was broken. How many people under the age of twenty five here in Massachusetts do you think understand how important that moment was in the life of the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, that's a good question. I think, I want to say the majority of young people. But if you're twenty five years old right now, you know nothing but championships for the most part in Boston sports. And that's not the way it was before the two thousand and four Red Sox and the one Patriots who kind of got all this started with their for Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you got a.
Speaker 2: Couple of Celtics championships thrown in there, and a Stanley Cup and all of that. But how would you explain it to someone who would say, Chad, what was it like back in the eighties, in the nineties before Pedro, BP before Pedro and BM, before many and all the time? You know, I mean, it was amazing to watch it unfold.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: I mean it was I think it made everything worth it that came before, which is really saying something. With the loss in the seventy five World Series and Carlon Fisk's famous home running game six is forty nine years ago tonight and Bucky Dent in seventy eight, all those things we don't need to rehash now, but those October brought heartbreak often, and two thousand and three, to me, it was the most crushing when they lost a really likable team in seven games, the Yankees Aaron Boom, it might never happen, Aaron Boone, and then Redemption and four, which was the Catharsis for everything that came up.
Speaker 2: I don't want to, you know, date myself here, but everybody knows I'm on the wrong side of fifty. Chad. I was there in the seventh game. You know why they keep Willoughby in there. That'd be the question to ask for the Ages, and I was there covering the sefty a playoff game when Bucky Dent came to bat against Mike Torres.
Speaker 3: That was my first year as a fan. I was eight years old and it was like taking your first bow ride on the Titanic. That said, the Red Soucker I took for life, look for life, charismatic team that couldn't get it done. We had a lot of those, we.
Speaker 2: Did, and that was the team that had I think they had led the Yankees by I think thirteen games or something like that in early September, and we just watched all of those that lead whittle away.
Speaker 3: They did, and then it's overlooked Dan. But at the end of the season they won eight straight games and to force that one game playoffs and last game this season, Luisian who just passed away, pitched a shutout against the Blue Jays to make it happen. So that team blew a huge lead, but they were not chokers. They were pretty resilient right up until the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was over the years. I mean in seventy five, you know, Jim Rice Pitcher, kind of a very forgettable pitcher for the Tigers, hit him on the wrist, broke his wrist. He wasn't available in the World Series. That would have made that difference there, But maybe the weight made it all the sweeter. I don't know when. Of course, that had a ptty good run. I think they've won the most World championships of any Major League Baseball team, probably second only to the New England Patriots, who have six World Championships. So you know, we've been blessed recently.
Speaker 3: That's the century has been pretty kind, hasn't.
Speaker 2: It so far? Though? You know, you have the Yankees and Dodgers now in the World Series. That brings back some bad memories because they were last I think they last met in seventy seven ers and seventy eight. But there's that darn seventy eight again. Yeah, yeah, you know, and of course they spend a lot of money on the you know, in the Dodgers in Dodger Land and in New York, and we'll see, we'll see what happens there. It's it's tough to figure who to root for between the Yankees and the Dodgers. You know, as an American lager, I'm going to root for the Yankees. But then Mookie Bets is with the Dodgers. Kind of you'd like to see maybe Mookie win another World Series. I don't know what we take sides. You're rooting for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've always thought of them as kind of a kindred spirit of the Red Sox because Brooklyn Dodgers couldn't get past the Yankees back in the fifties. They finally won one, but that they endured a lot of heartbreak that you mentioned nineteen seventy eight when the Red Sox lost the Bucky Dank Game. The Dodgers lost the World Series to the Yankees, and so it felt like the Yankees were there Nemesis two and many Ramirez ended up going out there, Derek Low, Bill Miller, Dave Roberts as the manager. Now, so there's always been a lot of ties. I think I'm as spend Way West a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, no, Dave Roberts a great guy, obviously the hero of Game four, and without without his speed, that the story might have been very different in two thousand and four. Yeah, it's it's amazing. We're all sports fans in Boston. I don't think there's maybe Philadelphia, but we're a very passionate city and we've had we've been blessed, and let's hope that the Red Sox can bounce back. A lot of good guys coming up. Remember the I think that the truck leaves for the Fenway truck. I think leaves in about one hundred days, if I'm not mistaken. I don't want to be too much or an optimist, but the truck leaves sometime around February sixth, I'm sure. And so this this too shall pass, and spring will spring, and we will We'll have our hopes we kindled, that's for sure. Chad. I love the conversation with every time. Thank you. I didn't realize you were so young. I mean, you know this stuff. You're a sports guy. I love it. I love it. Thank you.
Speaker 3: So I'm on the other side of fifty two, but not by that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, Well you're in a far better place than I have, that's for sure. Thanks Chad.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dan, talking great talk with you as well.
Speaker 2: We get back. We're going to talk about a very interesting phenomenon with a neurologist from Boston University, doctor Andrew Budson. Young people. Young people are suffering memory loss, something you don't associate with young people. Doctor Budson will join us and explain what these studies find and maybe even give us some idea about what it means. We'll be back on Nightside. This is WBZ in Boston, Boston's news radio again. You can always listen to WBZ wherever you are in the world, or wherever you are and you have your tablet, you can download iHeart the iHeart app, Iheard app. It's downloadable for free. Very few things in this world are for free anymore, but that's one of them. And you can listen to Nightside and also, of course WBZ News Radio twenty four to seven, three hundred and sixty five days a year. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ the News Radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to be joined by doctor Andrew Budson. He's a neurologist at Boston University. And really interesting article that we saw in the Globe magazine people in their thirties and forties facing unprecedented wave of memory problems. Doctor Judson tell me it's not so. I mean, this is frightening.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, the good thing is I don't think it's a sign of any sort of disease or pathology. I think it's a combination of the technological challenges that are being thrown to us to remember every day, with a lot of people both young and old, not perhaps doing the best lifestyle activities to help their memory.
Speaker 2: So give us an example of, well, the lifestyle activities that they shouldn't be doing, which is probably easier, and then the lifestyle activities they should be doing. I think, having read the article, I know what you're going to say, they should do at least less off.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Yeah, exactly. So you know, a big part of it is that we need to do let's just start with the basics. We need to engage in aerobic exercise, we need to eat a Mediterranean menu of whole foods, and we want to stay active. We want to stay socially active, and we want to stay mentally active, and of course it's important to get enough leap. So those are the things that are important to do, and so the things to do less of would be number one. You know, don't spend too much time watching TV. There was a large study that showed that adults even in their you know, young and middle ages that were watching more than an hour of TV a day actually showed declines over the several year period of the study, whereas people who were spending time more actively, even if they were sitting at the computer, did not show the same type of decline. So you're telling that.
Speaker 2: Watching TV actually produces more decline than people who spend the same amount of time on the computer.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what's look correct.
Speaker 2: Me if I'm wrong, but I assume that watching television is a purely passive activity. You're sitting there exactly, you're looking, and you're being told something or being entertained. We're at least on computers in some fashion, you might be actually interacting with the screen or with someone.
Speaker 1: Else exactly right. You know, it's a well used metaphor, but there really is some truth to it that our brain is a bit like a muscle in that if you don't use it, you're going to lose it. You know. The brain, like other parts of the body, you know, is good at being efficient, and it's like, if you don't use your brain, your brain's get your body is going to be like, okay, well we'll put resources in other areas. If you're not going to use your brain. So using your brain is actually important in maintaining a good memory.
Speaker 2: Were these studies done in be you or were you involved in these studies?
Speaker 1: No, I was not involved either. Are studies that was originally done in the United Kingdom. It's called the UK Biobank study that followed over five hundred thousand people for a number of years, and they had to keep diaries of different things that they did, and then they periodically would get blood tests and cognitive tests and MRI scans and things like that.
Speaker 2: So what does this auga going forward? For every generation now starts using computers and I'm not again, I recognize that computers are not the worst problem. According to the study, it's just sitting in front of the television set. Yeah, what does this augur for future generations? Kids who are now in their infancy or in their baby years, what can parents do to make sure that their kids don't become over the next twenty years or thirty years, subjects of a study were with it will be a you know more you know, I'm using a metaphor here more brain atrophy because their kids, you know, became less active even than the generation that preceded them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, it's exactly right. I mean, I think you know, the first thing you know, to help again, people of any age, including kids, to be able to remember things better is simply to focus and pay attention on whatever it is one is trying to learn. And so many kids these days are multitasking all the time. You know, they're doing their homework, but they're also chatting with their friend and the computer and some of them even playing a video game, you know, at the same time. And you know, to really be able to remember things, it's important for parents to help their kids and for you know, people of all ages do one thing at a time and really pay attention to it. And I think that, you know, the trick is to sort of learn how to be able to pay attention better. Some people use mindfulness for these types of activities. Some people just you know, work by shutting off the external world, closing the door, removing distractions. But those things will help.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this. We have my wife and I have a two and a half year old grandson, and we think he's bright and all of that. What what can grandparents, you know, boomers like me do to help our grandchildren, particularly those who are in that you know that age from two to four where yeah, they maybe go into a play school or some sort of daycare. What can we do with them to help them learn how to focus and understand. I'm assuming, talk to them, spend time with them, read to them all the things that the parents have done for a long time, and make sure they don't become captive to television programs. I mean, this is you know, at one point back in the day, you had Barney and then you had you know, all the different Bertonernees, Sesame Street, which we're all pretty good. And now my grandson watches some of these I forget what their names are, but it's he focuses on that on these programs and clearly is watching. But what what can we do as individual, you know, grandparents?
Speaker 1: Well, I think Dan, you're you're exactly right. I think everything that you said is the right thing to do. So we really do want kids to spend time away from the screen. We want kids to be interacting with human beings, as you know, surprising as that sounds, and it really does make a difference. Now, of course, you know, in this day and age, you know, we all need to take a little bit of a break as parents. You know, I've got two children byself, not all of it up for their grandchildren yet. But you know, I can't. I can't say that my kids didn't didn't watch TV, and I can't say that I don't watch any TV. But it's just important that when you have the opportunity to have them engage in actual human interactions, that's by far such a better thing to do. And it doesn't have to be something planned and something super active. You know, just go for a walk with them and talk to them, you know, while you're you know, walking around, and of course, you know, if you want to do add a more active play, that's wonderful, But it doesn't have to be. It can be even you know, taking your children with you as you're going on errands and talking to them during those times. It doesn't have to be, you know, a definite scripted thing. It just shouldn't be sitting in front of the television all day.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm great advice. I'm a huge fan of you, doctor Budson, because I think that you explain it very clearly, and look, it's so important. It's just so important spend time talking, reading, interacting with your kids, even that's so important, doctor of Boston University. I really thank you for joining us tonight. Maybe have you back some night.
Speaker 1: And yeah, no, I'd love to do that, Dan, It's always a pleasure to be on your show. And I do want to say before I go that if you're interested in more of these things, I co ore co authored a book with Professor Elizabeth Kensinger that people can check out of their local library called Why We Forget and How to Remember Better? So that might be helpful for something.
Speaker 2: And is that book still available at Amazon and all of that? Oh, yeah, your library. But it's also great to give us the name of the book one more time, please.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's called Why We Forget and how to Remember Better? And it is available in your local bookstore online. It's an audio and kindle and all those different things.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. I should have mentioned it for you, but thank you very much. I think that's important. That's the type of book should be in everyone's library at home. Thanks very much, doctor Butson. I do appreciate you make Boston University proud as a law school graduate of Boston University probably before you were born. That it's always great to have someone from being a fellow terrier. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, Dan.
Speaker 2: Talk to you soon, not to have you back. All right, when we do come back, we are going to open up another area. This is a little lighter. We're going to talk to someone by the name of Andrea Sachs, who is a reporter for the Washington Post. She's the Washington Post traveler. We're going to talk about eight fall travel destinations with fewer crowds in better weather. I think the phrase is shoulder season. We'll explain right after the news at the bottom of the hour. Here on Nightside with Dan Ray on WVZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, I am delighted to welcome Andrea Sachs. She is a Washington Post travel reporter. Andrea, welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 4: Hello, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you, my producer spotted an article that you wrote about eight fall travel destinations with fewer crowds in better weather. I guess the phrase is shoulder season. I think I know what that phrase means. But let's explain it to everyone in the audience before we start talking about specific locations.
Speaker 1: Okay, of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So shoulder season, I kind of think of it as like an intermission between big so it's the season. It could be kind of like an off season. So just say you have a busy summer season or winter season. It's kind of like the in between seasons, typically spring and the fall. And so it's usually when the crowds are fewer, that a lot of the kids go back to school, so you don't have as many families, Prices drop, airline fares drop. Like overall, it's a really good time because it's a slow season.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a very clear, concise explanation. It's exactly what I hoped you would say. And so here we are. We are in a shoulder season, meaning kids are back in school. The pace, the nine to five or whatever the paces that you're on, is going on. If you have some time off that you haven't taken advantage of, you have eight travel destinations with fewer crowds in better weather. Give us a couple now, remember my audience is here in New England, but we're heard over the entire eastern half of the US, both on the Internet and also because we have a very strong on radio signals. So hit us with what you've got here, Andrew, I'm looking forward to ok, going to take some notes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so funny because we had so many Our list was so long and we had to pare it down to eight, and a lot of them actually were in the kind of the New England area. We had Long Island, we had kick Cod, and we had Nantucket. So Nantucket was one of them, which I think goes along with markets Vinyard and Block Island if you want to clump them all together. Because during summer season is peak, as you know, and so prices are sky high. You oftentimes like things book up so quickly, whether you want tours, excursions or restaurants, and so shoulder season, it really it's flows down, Crowds dissipate, prices drop, there's less frequency maybe with the ferries or the flight schedules, but that's for your advantage because it means fewer people well on our list.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the things that I know, and I'm a Bostonian, but I'm very familiar with the Cape month has vanded less. So with Nantucket, prices during the summer really go up. It's tough to get a restaurant reservation. But now before you get to the Christmas season, all of these communities they try to do a Christmas walks and all of that. They try to entice people to come back during December before the snow really flies. But November is a great month on the Cape Martha's Vineyard in Nantucket if you have the ability to plan ahead and the flexibility to schedule. Give us a couple more here, because I'm with you totally of those three.
Speaker 4: Oh good, oh good, I'm glad I have, yeah, a mess of Bostonian agreeing with me with the Cape in Nantucket. But also we have a little further south, we have Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, where a place prices drop significantly for rentals, but everything is open. Actually, the water temperature is warmer or kind of more pleasurable in the fall than it is in the summer, because it can reach the eighties. So with the air being hot and humid, the last thing you want to do is go into like a bowl of soup. So it lowers a little bit to seventy, but the air temperature is still warm. All of the miniature golf courses are open, All the adult golf courses are open, boardwalks open, like everything is still humming along, but again without the crowds and high prices. And they're also bringing in some of the halloween stuff that's kind of fun, Like they have zombies walking around the boardwalk, so it reminds you that you're still in fall. That's a little bit of it. Endless summervel all right. Also absolutely, yes, going all the way west, we advance which is really well known obviously for its summer hiking and also for winter sports. But the fall is beautiful. I mean you have more time to like slowly walk on the hiking trails without thumping into people. And the wildlife is really vibrant, and so you have the elks running, which you should stay away from, but you can watch from a distance, and you know, all the wildlife is getting ready for its winter, so it's out and about doing its chores for the fall, and it's just standing.
Speaker 2: I missed exactly what state you were talking about.
Speaker 4: There, Oh, in Dance, which is in Alberta, Canada. Yeah, oh yeah, I moved this all the way up to Canada.
Speaker 2: That's good, okay, bamp okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeahs all around. And then if we go south of the border. We have Mexico City that was one of our picks. We do a two big events, Day of the Dead and also Revolution Day, and that will bring a lot of people into the streets for festivals, but for quieter times you can certainly go, you know, outside of those holidays, and it's a great time of the year to go to Mexico City. It's not a sweltering We have a Patagonia, which is a southern hemisphere, and that means a lot of the hiking trails that were closed in the wintertime are now opening up.
Speaker 2: And then if it's the equivalent down the air of maybe April.
Speaker 4: Or May exactly, yes, but it's still a shoulder season because there can be areas that are still kind of snowed over and it's still the weather is very unpredictable. But for more adventurous types, if they want to go down in the shoulder season, peer crowds and cheaper prices.
Speaker 2: Someone sent me a picture tonight of a place which I had never heard of. It had to be somewhere out in the west and was called I think God's Ledge, and it was a ledge that I think it might have been three feet wide on the side of a rock mountain. How the person ever ever climbed out in that ledge? I mean it looked like it was very accessible and that people would stop there as like I thought to myself, Oh my god, if you ever had a Disney spell, you're tripped. I know, you die of starvation on the way down because it would take so long to hit the ground. But it was it was frightening. And the picture I've never heard of this person. You might check it out. I'm not sure where it was. It was just it was this picture of this. I couldn't tell them this was a man or a woman, someone you know, fully fully dressed. They obviously we had hiking gear on and they I mean there was just enough room. It was almost like about a two foot wide ledge that you'd I mean, I don't even know yet. I don't think I would put one foot in front of the other. I think I would like go out there and shuffle. It was fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, that's for mountain goats. Like, no, I know I'm supposed to be out there, and I know they have camp sites now, Like they put camps like tiny little slender tents up and like you have to hike up and almost like rock climb up to these tents that are positioned and they charge like hundreds of dollars to sleep on a ledge and try not to roll off the cliff. But yeah, I'd rather just kind of look up at that, or maybe look at the pictures you were looking at.
Speaker 2: So oh, yeah, look at the pictures. That's all I that's all I want. I guess this is somewhere in your smminit. I think, I don't know. It was called God's Ledge, so frightening. It was frightening. But they were people A lot of the time, you know, you hear about all these crazy people who decide that it would be a good idea to you know, go somewhere and try to get a selfie with a water buffalo or something.
Speaker 4: So I know I've written a lot of those stories. Yes, Vice and Gore the Blank.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So many people they think it's like Disney, and they think it's a theme park, and then maybe it's like the park rangers dressed up like a bison, or that it's I don't part of a cartoon, but these are wild animals that will gore you in some cases.
Speaker 2: I do think that perhaps alcohol might be involved in this process.
Speaker 5: It could be.
Speaker 2: Love. Love to have you back again. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's great. I mean, it's it's just fun to talk with someone who really knows a lot more about something that I know just a little bit about. So I could help you with Cape Cod Nantucket and Mantes Vinyard. I'm actually down on Cape Cod broadcasting remotely.
Speaker 4: So oh nice.
Speaker 2: That's one of the nice things that we can And it is beautiful on the Cape in October. So you've got you should you should try it? You like it?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm actually I'm from the area, so I know, I'm from Massachusetts and we have a house some Block Island.
Speaker 2: So I had a great friend of mine on Block Island. Taylor's lift has a home on Park Block Island.
Speaker 4: If I'm not mistaken, she does well to watch Hell. I just can't escape her, she can't escape me. I guess we're maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe is it Block Island to watch Hill? I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: Watch how she does? I think because there was that Kennedy connection, We're gonna go deep Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: Now we don't want to go detail script tonight. Maybe we'll do it.
Speaker 4: Take you care about shoulder season?
Speaker 2: Talk soon? Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Your night.
Speaker 2: Of course, in shoulder season, which is October, one of the things football and tailgate parties, we're gonna be talking with a doctor from the Florida Wellness Institute, doctor Julie Gatza, about some tips to prevent food board illness at your next tailgate party. You do not want food board illness at your next tailgate party. Will tell you how to avoid it right after this break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studio. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, how many of you spend any time this weekend watching NFL football or college football? Or how many of you spent time at a game and went to a tailgate party. Well, one of the problems I guess at tailgate parties is sometimes food born illness. I mean, obviously tailgate parties are out in the open, and maybe the best protocols aren't necessarily always followed. So with us is doctor Julie Gatza of the Florida Wellness Institute with seven tips for preventing food born illness at your next tailgate party. So hearken close to the radio, folks and listen closely. Hi, doctor Gatz.
Speaker 1: How are you.
Speaker 5: I'm good, Thanks, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for joining us. How much of a problem we talk? Are we chasing a problem here that maybe doesn't exist? Or is food born illness at tailgate parties something that we should be aware of?
Speaker 5: I think that it's very and I think that probably there's no real statistics on it. However, over the years of listening to people go to different types of events outdoors and party at doors, whichever it may be, there is a fair amount of food borne illness that I have observed and always wish that I had given them some tips that they could have done to prevent that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so give us some let's we got seven. But I'm assuming that part of the problem, correct me if I'm wrong, is that, you know, someone has the taco chips out there on the back of the station wagon or the you know, the back bumper or whatever, and everybody's kind of grabbing the potato chips, and it probably is is not the cleanest of circumstances.
Speaker 5: I mean, we've been listening to, yeah, we've been listening to you know, wash your hands for a long time now, so that's sort of a given However, I am of the old schools think that germs are good for you, and you know, there's a point where it gets a little crazy, but you know that's neither here nor there. I do believe that we need them to actually help to make a nice, healthy immune system.
Speaker 2: Especially no No, I get you know, I get that because they talk about kids get a lot of germs from dirt, you know, kids playing in the dirt. But so what's the cause? I mean, you know, you got a grill going there, and you got someone's opening up some beer cans, and maybe there's a bottle of wine or whatever. But so what's the cause? And then let's talk about the tips.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I usually think that the cause is cross contamination, especially with poultry. Let's say you're cutting up the chicken on a cutting board and you don't have the ability to wash that knife or use a different knife, so now you're cutting up vegetables or you know, you're using it for bread or whatever it may be, So the chicken juice will be on the knife. And then if you didn't clean the cutting board, you're now putting different things on the cutting board. Or let's say you brought that pan to the grill. That pan of the grill needs to then be very cleaned or a new pan needs to go in place, because again you don't want the chickeners.
Speaker 2: So now you've identified the cause, give us and I'm sure that the tips are going to address the cause, but give us some of the tips that people need to think about.
Speaker 5: So you know, one of the things is one more cause is making sure that you cook your food, you know enough, the way it's supposed to and also use the multiple coolers because you don't want chicken to be on the ice. But you know, one of the things that I've been doing with patients for years and years is giving them high quality digestive enzymes. Enzymes in general help you break down your food. It breaks down your proteins and your vegetables and your fats and all these different things that we need to make sure that our bodies are healthy. So a normal, healthy person takes them when they're eating normal meals or if they're eating junkie. It helps to break down you know, bad food as well.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: If you have food poisoning and you're starting to feel not so great. The company I use is called Absorbed, and you start popping a whole bunch of these digestive ins and they start to go to work in there and start fighting the toxins, the poisons, the fermentation that's happening, and you can really help to battle the symptoms fast if you get on top of it quickly enough. What's the name of that company again, it's called Absorbed. It's a vegan formula and it breaks down normal food, so you're getting most nutrition every time that you eat sor like you know, the like bang for your buck every time you eat you're getting nutrition, but also for food poisoning. It's also for inflammation. If you have swollen hands or your backfir it's your anchors are swollen. You can actually take these enzymes at night time with no food and it aids in breaking down inflammation, toxins and poisons and does a bang up job.
Speaker 2: So absorb it a B, S O or A B and then aid correct and is that product over the counter or is it found?
Speaker 5: You can get a higher quality health food stores, and you can also get some free samples if you call the one eight hundred number and use the code radio which is one eight hundred eight two seven seven six five six, or you can go on the website, which is Nature'ssources dot com, and you can read about the absorbed. You also can get some free samples. You can get twenty percent off your order the first time. So I love it. I think it's better than a multi vitamin. And it has such a ribe spectrum of the ability to apply to just keeping us healthy and making sure that we stay that way.
Speaker 2: So this is the sort of item that you would suggest people incorporate into their daily you know whatever. There you know I do. I'm somebody who's I do zinc, and I do fish oil, and I do vitamin C and vitamin D, and I do a multivitamin. I'm big into that, And that should be something that people could incorporate on a regular basis, not necessarily the morning they wake up and they say, oh, I think my stomach's in big trouble.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Absolutely, And if you you know, I've been chiropracting for thirty four years and my biggest point is to fix people's digestion because when you have some healthy gut, you aren't holding onto inflammation. You are absorbing your nutrition, You're pushing toxins out, You're not reabsorbing things. Your immune system is not fighting a whole gut disasters. So by taking absorbed, it does a such a good job of helping to keep the gut is clean and inflammatory free so that you can do all the things that it's supposed to. So gut health is number one with me, and then everything else falls into suit.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming that this is the time of year when people, getting back to the subject at hand, go to tailgate parties. Obviously they're not too many tailgate parties maybe in Green Bay in January and February, but not in places like New England or whatever. We kind of button it up for the wintertime of those places. Uh. And and again this is the time of year that all the tips that you mentioned about, you know, keeping things separate and making sure that knives. Is it smart to bring like some sort of a hot water container with you so you have some hot water to wash off the utensils if you think they're getting dirty or is that.
Speaker 5: I think that's it's a great idea. Or just bring extra utensils, or bring some of the you know, high intensity wipes where you can actually clean them right there with you know.
Speaker 2: Whatever it's that makes it all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a simple one.
Speaker 2: Well, doctor, doctor Gatsa. Thank you very much, doctor Julie Gatza of the Florida Wellness Institute. If folks want to follow you or whatever, what's the what's the best way? Your name of Florida Wellness Institute. Which works easier?
Speaker 5: It can go to the Florida Wellness Institute's website. And I do have an instagram which is doctor Julie Healthy vibes.
Speaker 2: All right, sounds great, Thank you very much. I enjoyed our conversation, Doctor Julie.
Speaker 5: Guests meks too, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Thank you much. When we get back right after the nine o'clock news, we will be delighted to talk about a point of law that both the ACLU and I agree upon. I suspect some of you will some of you won't. We'll get a conversation started right after the nine