Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by individuals on the following program do not necessarily reflect those of the network, Guys Guy Radio and its platforms.
Speaker 2: It's Guys Guy Radio. Here's your host, Robert Manny.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Guys Guys Radio. This is your host, Robert Manny, welcoming you to the show where men and women can be at their best and everyone wins. Guys Guys Radio, We're here to inform you, inspire you, empower you, and get you to think, feel, and who knows, maybe even act by virtue of the journeys, stories, experiences and insights of the guests I bring you each and every week to the show. And once again this week is no exception. Today we're going to talk about that major league and sports and American institution known as Nolan Ryan. Our special guest is Tim Brown, who wrote in a fabulous toe about Nolan Ryan simply called Nolan the singular life of an American original. And you know, Nolan Ryan, Folks was a hero to two of America's biggest institutions, Texas and Major League Baseball. He played longer, threw harder, and amassed more pitching records fifty three to be exact than anyone before or since. And as he did, Nolan Ryan came to represent what was exceptional exceptional about a game when it was still America's pastime. You know, veteran baseball journalist New York Times bestselling author Tim Brown who's here today. He provides a definitive biography in his book Nolan, and we're going to talk all about that and really what made Ryan such a dominant and feared pitcher and what lessons can we learn from his amazing career and life. What you don't have today is you don't have the pictures throwing the amount of innings and the amount of strikeouts that Ryan did back then. You've got some great pictures right now now, But he was kind of stood out on his own along with guys like Sandy Kofax and Bob Gibson and.
Speaker 4: Don Sutton.
Speaker 3: Was a very crafty pitcher who pitched a lot of innings in a long time. Also, we're going to get into all of that and more on today's Guys Guys Radio. We're going to talk about baseball. We're going to talk Nolan about Nolan Ryan and all the lessons we can learn from his wonderful career with sports writer Tim Brown.
Speaker 2: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys guys Radio. It is the interview portion of our show. And let's start with a question. What made Nolan Ryan's fastball so dominant? And could any pitcher in today's game match his combination of power and endurance. Well, we're going to talk about that today on Guys Guys Radio with our special guest, sports writer Tim Brown. Tim's covered baseball out in LA for more than thirty years. He's written to New York Times bestsellers, The Phenomena with Rick and Keel and Imperfect with the One Armed Jim Abbott, who threw a no hitter for my New York Yankees. He also wrote the Tao of the Backup Catcher. I love the name of that book. I gotta search it out. And in twenty sixteen he was awarded first place in Beat writing by the Associated Press Sports Editors. Welcome to Guys Guys Radio, Tim Brown. We're going to talk about Nolan Ryan today. Here's the new book. It just came out, The Singular Life of an American Original, and he sure is. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Tim Robert, thanks for having me. How are you today.
Speaker 3: I'm doing fantastic and I gotta tell you, I just finished the book, and wow, he's Nolan Ryan's a mythical, kind of legendary man's man. He's like the John Wayne of baseball, and he must have been a very interesting Everybody has a story about him, it seems like. And there's nothing that one thing that sticks out except for he's like the Rolling Stones. He's got longevity, and he maintained his quality right through his was it twenty seven years or so in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 4: Just absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: Tell us about your just first take on Nolan Ryan after writing the book.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll start at the beginning. I was seven years old living in White Plains, New York when the Mets won the nineteen sixty nine World Series. That's a very vulnerable age as a sports fan, and therefore I was saddled with being a Mets fan for the rest of my life. Now, before you feel too sorry for me, remember who won the Super Bowl that year, and that was the New York Jets. So I've been lugging that around as well. But that was my and I felt like as I was thinking about Nolan as a subject, it occurred to me that for half of my life he was a pitcher, and I was aware of him as a pitcher. I grew up with Nolan Ryan, and you're right, this mystique, this guy who was there every year, this guy who was a power pitcher into well into what we would we would have considered been lege at the time. And I just thought, you know, he was unique when he pitched, and the further we get from that, it becomes almost unfathomable what he did. And I think my duty was to remind people that there was a way the game was played and there was a type of person who played it for a very long time. And while things have changed, those numbers that you might look up on Baseball Reference and look down on all these columns and how they end in fifty some records by the time he retired, were real. These things actually existed, that a game was played at a certain time in a certain era that looked like this. It wasn't by the way. I mean, he may have been unusual for the longevity part of it, but there were a lot of pitchers then who were throwing two hundred and eighty three hundred who you know, were through hard who made forty some starts in the year, who pitched on four days rest, And as my as I got a bit older over the past say ten years or so, I would watch starting pitchers come off the mound with an out in the sixth inning and tip their cap to an adoring crowd. Or I would watch no hitters die not in the batter's box, but on the manager on the top step of the dugout, or in the GM's office, or god forbid, in the analytics room, and I would mutter to myself, where have you gone, Nolan Ryan? You know? And I think one day I just got in my car and drove to Texas to find Nolan Ryan.
Speaker 3: And tell us about that journey, because he's not an easy guy to find. As we were kind of briefly chatting before the show, I noticed that, wow, I didn't since there was a lot of and it's got everything. The book is great, and it's really well written. It's got everything about Nolan Ryan and so many anecdotes and great stories, and you really now who he is. However, part of who he is is he's not that accessible. So when you went on your journey to Texas to find Nolan Ryan. I'll bet it wasn't easy.
Speaker 4: Right, You're absolutely right. So honestly, the journey was to find the idea of Nolan Ryan, the notion of Nolan Ryan. So I went to this little town forty miles south of Houston called Alvin, and I spent three weeks there learning about the how and the why. And that was what was important to me was what sort of place produces a man, a pitcher, an athlete, a ballplayer like Nolan Ryan. What were the values there? What did it feel like here? Why did he commit himself to this craft like no one else in the history of the game. Who was this person? And I feel like it had to start in this little town where you learn who are your role models, what are your values? What's important to you? How hard are you going to work for this? And I did find that and I began to understand as much as an outsider could, particularly with Nolan's dad. You know, Nolan was the youngest of six kids. Four of his older siblings were girls. And what was important to Nolan's father, Lynn Nolan Ryan Senior, was putting those four girls through college. And the way he did that was to hold two jobs. He worked in the oil field during the day, he would come home, eat dinner, go to bed, sleep for several hours, get up at twelve thirty am and deliver newspapers into the morning, come home, have breakfast, and start all over again. And I don't think as a boy, you watch this person, this person who's so important in your life, commit to something like this over many, many years, and not grow up with those same sort of that same sort of work ethic, those same sort of values, those sense of decency about being responsible for other people. Where where the important things in your life are taking care of your family, representing well, going to church on Sundays. It was all of these things. And that's what I found there, which was in the moment, of course, you know, to go back to your original question. I knew that Nolan was out there. The family was somewhat reluctant to speak to me out of the gate, because they don't just jump in on every project that crosses their desk. But I think, over a couple of years, doing all the research, talking to all the people that I and I hesitate to use this word because I don't want to put words into their mounds, but I think I earned my time with them toward the end of the research process where they invited me down to where they live now, which is outside Round Rock, Texas. And you know, I think you know, Nolan asked me, he goes, why are you doing this? I said, because I'm curious. And that's really the beginning and the end of it was this great curiosity about this ballplayer and growing old and you know, looking back over his shoulder on a lifetime spent in pursuit of all these things we just talked about.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, my special guest on Today's Guys Guys radio sports writer Tim Brown the book Nolan, The Singular Life of an American Original, and he sure is. So I've got a lot of questions about kind of where he is now. But let's start at the beginning. How did he discover like baseball and how did they discover him that, like, Wow, this guy's got a special arm.
Speaker 4: Right Well, I think the the great backstory is that Nolan's older siblings, five of them he had one brother as well as the four sisters, were all brilliant in school. Honor Roll straight A's school was easy for them, and Nolan had dyslexia and he struggled at school. So you're walking into the same school, down the same hallways, into the same classrooms, in front of the same teachers, and suddenly you're not like the rest of the rions. There's an expectation of more of the same, but there wasn't. And I think that drove him onto the ball fields. I mean, he loved sports. There's a great anecdote of he feels like the first new thing he ever got was a baseball glove. His dad drove him to the hardware store where they kept all the gloves, and he picked out his new glove, the first hand me down, non hand me down thing in his life. And what I love about that as an aside, is that the museum is across the street from where that old hardware store used to be, and that glove is in that museum. So it traveled over, you know, seventy years now, it basically traveled half a block to go from the hardware store to the museum case and he just found that the baseball field. You know, he had trouble in English reading the book, but he could read a scoreboard and that's where he got his confidence that, you know, the school day would end. And now it's his time. Now, it's his time to shine. All that disappointment he felt in the classroom from teachers or fellow students was all washed away and it was time for Nolan Ryan to shout uh and and he loved it and he excelled and he was He learned very early on that he had this big arm and he was going to ride it.
Speaker 3: Why do you think he had such a big arm? Is it the mechanics? Just route strength, determination, a combination of three coordination, eyehend coordination or you know, strong lower body. What were all of these things?
Speaker 4: What was he?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I think he was a terrific natural athlete. He was a very good baseball player, or I'm a very good basketball player as well as baseball. But you know, we all grew up with kids who were about the same size as them, but just there was something different about him. You know, you play catch with them and that last foot got on you quick. You're like, well that's a little different. So early on, you know, I don't know if there was anything other than he was just a pretty good natural athlete. And then I found I think he found that winning was important to him, and he committed to these teams and he enjoyed it. And there's you know, the great story where he wasn't you know it might have been a teenager at the time where you know, he had the big fastball, but he still couldn't control it. Yeah, and he like hit the first kid, hit the second kid, broke the helmet of the third kid, and the fourth kid wouldn't come to the plate. He told the coach, I'm not going up there, and Olden said, yeah, I knew I had him then refusing to come to the plate. That that's a pretty good sign. So I think that, you know, to push that a little. You asked about the discovery and the wild thing to me, especially in the context of today, where we know, you know, you could you could get information on every fourteen year old baseball player in the country if you wanted it, and you know, you'd know their swing, you know, what they look like on a mound. Back then, it didn't work that way at all. And it's wild for me to think that he was this kid who was throwing who knows, ninety ninety five, you know, in high school and one scout found him one yeah, I know. And Alvin High School had a good baseball program, they played good teams, they were in the state tournament, and for whatever reason, the fact that he couldn't control this fastball, the fact that he didn't have a great second pitch, he still had this very sort of sloppy curveball. One scout, a guy named Red Murph, who tramped all over the state and all the states nearby, stumbled onto him one afternoon and thought, this is the greatest arm I've ever seen. And a little sunken chested, skinny, one hundred and forty pound kid from Alvin High School who that day came in in relief. And Red Murph hadn't even planned on being there that day. It was just a fluke. And my sense is if Red hadn't steered his car toward that ballpark that day, we'd be talking about Nolan Ryan, the veterinarian amazing.
Speaker 3: So let's fast forward to he's on the Mets, he gets straight by the Mets, he goes all the way through to the to the World Series against the Orioles, which they won in the five games, and then he got traded to the Angels, I believe if I recall correctly, and then he really blossomed. So what was this issue beyond the control thing. Why didn't the Mets management even though they drafted him. He seemed they seemed there seemed to be based on the book Tim a lot of naysayers within the organization who weren't really buying into the what Nolan Ryan's true potential.
Speaker 4: Was, right, They couldn't figure out how to get Nolan sort of tracked toward the strike zone, which was what it basically came down to. And so you'd get this guy who's putting up all these numbers UH in the minor league, striking out two batters an inning, and throwing deep into games. Already, they knew they had this force, they knew about this fastball, and the organization was very impatient for the next Tom sever, right, they needed the next Tom sever and it just wasn't coming for whatever reason. And I think there's there were a variety of reasons to take this little this kid from a small town in Texas, and you put them in New York City, and you add all these expectations, and you add the press that's all leaning in also wondering when the next Tom sever is going to show up wearing Nolan Ryan's number UH, and all of that combined, Plus he's newly married. He's you know, his wife is Ruth is two years younger than he is. They're trying to sort out the world. Who are they going to be, what are they going to be together? What does what does baseball look like? What does it feel like? And you know, there was there were certainly plenty of conversations back then about maybe baseball is just not for me, because the experience was was just rough and the team Gil Hodges was the manager, Rube Walker was the pitching coach, and they just couldn't figure it out. He was. They just didn't know what they were going to get when they put him in a game. And it got to a point where, uh, you know, it was time to they needed offense. So they went and got this all star shortstop from from the Angels who was you know, thirty years old and and could hit, and they were going to put him at third base and off they were going to go behind this this pitching staff with the Severs and Kuzman's and Gentries and mc andrews and John Mattlack was coming and uh, it just all made sense then. Well he was he'd barely gotten in the door in Anaheim when Tom Morgan, the pitching coach with the Angels, said we got to rework your mechanics. And they did, and suddenly, look, he was never going to be, you know, a guy, a command, a control pitcher. But they got it squared away enough where it was it was legit where you know, instead of walking six guys a game, he was walking four and that made all the difference.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you got into this, it's a pretty granular question, but what was what was he doing wrong in his mechanics?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, to get the weeds a little bit, he was flying open, was his shoulders, front shoulder was whipping toward the first base dugout and the ball was flying all over the plate. And what Tom Morgan would do was Tom Morgan would stand right next to Nolan and said, if you don't go straight to the plate, you're gonna hit me in the face or knock me off. And so they did that for weeks and weeks and weeks with Tom Morgan standing right on top of Nolan, and he had nowhere to go. He had to go straight to the plate. So you get it all streamlined. He get everything behind the ball, the fastball even ticked up a little at the time. Curveball came better as a result, and you know, suddenly he was a competitive pitcher. Amazing.
Speaker 3: So what tell us about his kind of trajectory with the Angels then, because before he went to the Astros and the Rangers, finally he's had a good run. He really became the Ryan Express on the Angels.
Speaker 4: Right, he became a superstar. He became suddenly a guy who you couldn't trust over four or five innings to a guy you could trust over three hundred innings. And I think probably you know, there was suddenly he had all this confidence. There was never a doubt that he was going to get the ball. Four days later, the manager would leave me in games deep into games, you know, into the eighth ninth inning. I would put Robert. I would put up his seventy two through seventy four seasons, those three seasons. You could cherry pick three seasons out of your favorite pitcher, no matter where they are. They don't have to be consecutive. And I would put those three seasons up against any you know, just ridiculous numbers in terms of nine hundred and fifty innings pitched and you know, one thousand and some strikeouts. He just what, like I want to say, seventy five seventy six complete games in that period. He just became suddenly, you know, he just grew all of a sudden. He was not just a guy who, Wow, this feels better. He was a guy who was I'm going to beat you today and every single day. And the wild thing you pushed that out just a little bit further is he lost sixteen games every season, exactly sixteen games every season because the Angels, which would be a running theme in his career, the Angels weren't very good.
Speaker 3: You know what. Some of the amazing stats I think were like per game pitches nowadays, Like I'm out here in the San Diego area and I like to watch the Padres and they're like five innings from the starter. And then we got the greatest bullpen inning inning inning right in Nolan's day, he pitched, if I got this correct, over two hundred pitches and a number of starts.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. The most famous one, of course, was the two hundred and thirty five pitch game against the Red Sox, And uh, what the part I love it is Louis Tiant was pitching for the Red Sox. The game went into extra innings, I think it was I think Nolan pitched thirteen innings and afterward he was mad that Bobby Winkles, the manager, pulled him out of the game because t pitched fourteen. That game absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: Now, what do you think about that in terms of your you know, you've been on the beach for all these years that the game has changed. What do you how would you compare those days to nowadays?
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 2: And why?
Speaker 3: Why can't these Why are these pitchers always getting Tommy John surgery? Why why are they getting injured all the time? And why could those pitchers, the Bob Gibson's, the Don Drysdales, the Nolan Ryans of the world just pitch and pitch and pitch that they can't do that today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's my theory is I would say fifteen years ago started hearing about little leaguers, high schoolers, college pitchers throwing way way too many pitches on developing arms, and there was a real push to put establish some guardrails about you know, we're abusing the arms of the next generation of pitchers, which I think was completely legit. Well, we are now seeing the result of those guardrails in that Pictures will show up in the big leagues who have never seen the seventh viting. They've never been asked to pitch that long. And I don't, you know, I don't know where to place. I don't even know if blame is the right word. But where this sits exactly? Is it the fact that I don't think that this generation of Pictures is any less tough or any any less capable. They certainly throw hard, for Jay speaking across the board, but management is now trying to, you know, guard their investments. In one way, They're trying they're trying not to hurt these guys. And so you have this the other angle of this, You have this obsession with velocity. Right. You have guys who, you know, the only thing they think about from the time they're fourteen is throwing five miles an hour harder. And when they get that five miles an hour, they want five miles an hour after that. We also have by the time you get into pro ball, is this real aversion to risk? And so I think those two things combined have led us to last year's leader and complete games in the big leagues through two, which you know, in Nolan's time would be a good week. Now.
Speaker 3: Another thing that's changed in the game is it seemed like when Nolan pitched was accepted to he did a lot more knockdowns than they do today. You don't see as many beam balls. There was a game a couple of nights ago with the with the Padres and the Orioles where they started hitting each other. But that's a rarity in my opinion nowadays, where in Ryan's time, if you sweared for a bunt, he's going to plunk you the next time up.
Speaker 4: And the picture.
Speaker 3: The batters were terrified of getting up against him in many ways because if you got too much, too close to the plate, you're going down. What's changed there?
Speaker 4: I think it was accepted as part of the game then. And you know, God forbid you stare at a home run for a second or two too long, because pictures had long memories. What I think? You know that that for me makes me think about all the conversation about who threw the hert ist fastball, you know, and you know Misserrowski now throwing one hundred and four and a half miles an hour, and uh, you know, Obviously, relievers are throwing up well above one hundred and for me, I don't know. Did Nolan throw harder than that or right around there or a little softer than I I don't know. But what I do know is that Nolan Ryan's fastball was what it was because of its attitude, because of the guy who threw it, because of where he was willing to throw it, because of his ability to use it as a weapon, because of his ability to buy that inside foot off the plate. And I think that made the difference. And if you're throwing, you know, whether you're throwing ninety seven or you're throwing one hundred and four, you know that courage and that insistent, that relentlessness of pitching inside and owning that plate and owning that field that night and competing. You know, every hitter, every opposing hitter I talked to from that era said, look, they were hard at bats. There were guys you just didn't think you could hit. But there was only one at bat that felt personal, and that was the one against Nolan Ryan. So it was just a different time.
Speaker 3: Now his pitch. Did his fastball have a particular way that did it break?
Speaker 4: Did it pop up?
Speaker 3: Did it take off because a lot of a lot of different pictures the way they throw their fastball moves sometimes, and yeah, I think he was there something special about his or was it random?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, part of the problem was when it didn't come out of his hand perfectly, it would tail. And let's say he's throwing one hundred miles an hour and you're right handed batter, it would when it tailed, it tailed right at your neck, so you know, it had a little natural tail to it. Catchers, the catchers I spoke to who caught him, and some of the hitters said his ball rose, And I would say, I understand what you're trying to say that it had more a little more carry than other pictures, but it didn't really rise right. And they're like, no, I swear it rose, and I'm like, okay, but like not really, Like if we're going to talk physics, like the ball is not really no, it rose a foot. I would get into these these like fun little arguments about whether or not it's even possible for a human being to throw a baseball that rises across sixty feet. But you know, it had that little jump on it that was just a little different that was his signature.
Speaker 3: Now, did he use a four seamer, two seamers, different grips and stuff.
Speaker 4: Or he did he just yeah, he threw a four seemer. Late in his career. He would stuff it back in his palm a little bit more and he would get, you know, sort of this dive at the end of it as well. It would come out a little bit softer, but still, you know, he's a power pitcher. You know. The funny thing was that across his career the change up was a little slow to come. And I was talking to one of his catchers, Art Kushner, who said he was around when they were really trying to develop that pitch. The problem was he kept thrown at ninety four miles an hour and it just it acted like everybody else's fastball, so it became kind of hittable. Got it okay?
Speaker 3: My special guest on Guys Guys Radio, Tim Brown, amazing author of Nolan The Singular Life of an American Original.
Speaker 4: We're talking about Nolan Ryan.
Speaker 3: When you had access to Nolan Ryan, I know he's not an easy guy to get to, even though you're.
Speaker 4: Writing a book about him.
Speaker 3: What did he have to say about pitching itself and his pitching style and what he believed made him different.
Speaker 4: You know, I think when we talk we talked less about the sort of the mechanics of pitching a little bit. You know, we talked about the perfect fastball a little bit, which I found kind of interesting because I had this curiosity about a guy who's this talented. You know, hitters talk about that perfect contact where the ball doesn't even register in your hands, right, You just don't even feel it off the bat. And anyone who's played a little bit of baseball is lucked into one of those once in a while, or golf. You feel it in golf once in a while. And I said, is there such a thing? And he said, you know, what I was trying to do was was bury a strike down and away from right. He's down away from lefties, and that was that was the pitch. I was always chasing down and away for a strike ish right that that looked like a strike or acted like a strike, And that was the pitch he was always chasing. You know. I think that we talked more about the attitude of pitching and how he could discern almost as a hitter was walking toward the plate whether or not he wanted this today or not, whether he was game enough, whether you know it was going to be a fight or it was going to end quickly for both of them. And and I sort of love those conversations about reading a batter, looking in his eyes, noticing when he inched back in the batter's box a little bit because he was maybe a little afraid or maybe just trying to get through this game and get to the you know, the next guy in the rotation. We're just trying to survive. And you know, Chilie Davis says, you know, you'd stand over there and a guy like Nolan and you think, well, if I'm going to die, I'm going to die, but I'm going to go down swinging. And that was Nolan would take up on that. He would he would see, he knew who was there to hit and who was there just to get through the game.
Speaker 3: Well, to that point, Tim, some batters did have success against him. Could you tell us a little bit about who those players were and what was their approach that made them be in a position to be successful against Nolan Ryan.
Speaker 4: Unsurprisingly, the guys who had a decent amount of success against him had a decent amount of success against a lot of people. It was the type the likes of George Brett or Rod Carew. Pete Rose was okay against him. I loved the sort of talking to Will Clark about him, because Will Clark famously in his first big league at bat barely off the campus in Mississippi State Homer and off of Nolan in the Astronome, and he tells this great story about you know, and everyone knows if you remember Will Clark, there was a lot of energy there, you know, he was he was always a guy who was sort of vibrating a little bit. And he gets up there for his first big league bat. There's a full ballpark and it's Nolan Ryan, and I mean he's basically starting his swing at the at the batrack, and Nolan Ryan throws him a curveball and it looked like Will Clark had been shot with a with an arrow. He was so stunned by this and he snickered, and catcher looks up and says, what are you laughing? And he goes the express just threw me a curveball, like it was all this respect or something. Well, you know, Will Will Homer's and Will Will Homer six times against him, which is the most anybody had. And he couldn't really explain why him, you know, why did you? He just said, there was just some guys who you saw a little bit better than other guys. There's no explaining it. It's where your eyes went or whatever. But the sort of the beautiful coda of the story is that years later Nolan had just retired but was still around the Rangers and Will had had signed with the Rangers, and they would occasionally cross paths in a hallway or whatever, and Will would say hey, Nolan, and Nolan would side I am and real coldly just say Will, so still was carrying this thing that hitters pictures. You know, it never ended for Nolan amazing.
Speaker 3: So he was on the Angels, he became a superstar, and then he ends up on the Astros. How did he go from the Angels to the Astros and then ultimately to the Rangers.
Speaker 4: Well, free agency, right, this brand new kind of thing really at at the time, and uh, you know, his his oldest son read late in his career in Anaheim, I think it was his last year in Anaheim, had been hit by a car in the neighborhood where Nolan lived, and I think there was just this big pull to go back to Texas, back to Alvin. You know, if he played for the Astros, he'd be a short drive to the ballpark every day. I think that was important to him. They also made him the first million dollar player, you know, in the history of the game, a million dollars, and everyone was, you know, lost their minds over that. What kind of you know, baseball player is worth a million dollars a year, So it all fit, you know. It allowed him to go home. The family thing was always very important to him. You know, his his father had passed by then, but his mother was still alive, still living in the old house where Nolan grew up in Alvin and out and Nolan had a ranch in Alvin, and they they spent that that decade basic, you know, reinvesting in in Alvin and and and re engaging the boys, and you know, two sons and a daughter. They all went to Alvin High School and they basically relived Nolan's life, you know there, and I think that was important. And then he was a free agent again, went to Texas to the Rangers, which I think is my favorite chapter of Nolan's career because you go to this this franchise that had never been to the playoffs and it was really an irrelevant thing in Major League Baseball. They'd not done anything. The owner was broke, he was going bankrupt. There was talk about moving the Rangers to another city. It just wasn't working there. And uh, you know, I think he felt a responsibility. Uh you know, he didn't do it for free, but I think he felt the responsibility to Texas Baseball. He wasn't going to go back to Houston that didn't wasn't working out. They tried to cut his salary and he wasn't having any of that. And he basically pumped some life into a franchise that otherwise was going under fantastic.
Speaker 3: So what is Nolan Ryan doing now? And I know you met him, What is he in good health? If I may ask, is what is he up to nowadays?
Speaker 4: Then? So Nolan is seventy nine years old, right and fighting all those demons of being seventy nine years old. You know, he's had back surgery and he's fighting that a little bit. And you know he's got he's still his ranches, and he's still when his health allows, he will get in the car and he's only a couple hours away from from the closest ranch, and like he told me, I like to be there when the calves hit the ground, you know. And I think it's I think it's frustrating for you know, I'm sixty three years old now and there's things that I can't do that I used to be able to do, and I find very frustrating. So I can only imagine what it's going to feel like fifteen years from now.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's I think we all, Robert and you can agree with this. You know, you spend your whole life doing this one thing, and it was all about baseball. He played until he was forty six, and then he became president of the Rangers. You search for the scoreboards, right where's my where's my scoreboard? How am I keeping track now? And I think, you know, again, I don't know how he feels about this today, necessarily, but I think that that's a little bit of a gap in his life. Where where's my scoreboard? These days? But I think, you know, as two sons live in Round Rock nearby, that means he's got grand children nearby. They owned the minor league team in Round Rock the Express. He's still got a lot to do with that, you know, I know, it's we talked about this. It's difficult to see all of his friends pass away, that these you know particularly, you know, a lot of the sixty nine Mets have gone. In fact, a lot of the people I talked to in this book have since passed. So that's difficult for him. But I think he's sort of holding on to family and holding onto as much ranching as he can do. He's got a dog named Buddy he loves, and he hangs out with a lot and gets as much done with the ball clubs as his health will allow.
Speaker 3: Now, since the book came out, have you gotten any response from either Nolan or the family or I assume they're very pleased because you did. The writing's fantastic. I think you were very authentic in how you covered Ryan. You didn't like you weren't fawning all over him, but you were just laying out the facts. And if you look at his career statistics, they're absolutely amazing. And the respect that he's commanded from his fellow players is unsurpassed. I mean, he is a myth, a living myth and legend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's funny. I didn't. It's it's a good question because I didn't start out to write a book they liked or didn't like. That wasn't part of the equation. I just wanted to sort of tell a story, tell a story about a guy who had kind of a cool life. And but come around publication day, which has been a few weeks now, it suddenly became important to me that they liked it sure, and I've gotten very nice feedback from the family that they felt that this was a very authentic, real accurate account of Nolan's life and the family's life and who they are now and what's important to them and what it all meant now.
Speaker 3: Tim last question, his stats, which are so amazing. Whether it's the innings pitch that I think he's still the all time strikeout leader, a lot of wins, a lot of lost strikeouts, complete games. What do you think is the most important statistic that really tells who Nolan Ryan really is and why he should be remembered forever in baseball mythology if you will.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's funny, how off and I would go to a player who'd been around a long time and I think the last time I did this was with Albert Poolhols and I printed out his career stats and I said, you know, what are you most proud of? And pooh Holes pointed to games played and I said, really, all the home runs, all the hits, all all that, and he said, it just meant that I was there for my teammates. That's how That's how often I showed up and was there for my teammates. And I bet I did not ask Nolan what he was proud of. I did ask what his favorite game was. I you know, I didn't ask what statistic he was proud of stuff. But I would bet that it was that he started close to eight hundred games if you include the playoffs. And I think that that would would be important to him because that means he was he had prepared himself eight hundred different times to be the best player on the on the field that day, to win a baseball game, and to give the fans something to watch. My guess is that that would be it.
Speaker 3: Okay, kind of a part two of that question. What can readers take away from this in terms of the life lesson that reading about and learning about a guy like Nolan Ryan, who is a throwback kind of cowboy John Wayne all American kind of man's man. What can people today and are the generations are so different now? What could be a takeaway that they can use right now to be the best they could possibly be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll give you the thing that always sticks out to me, and I think again it's you know, I am my father's son. I have sons myself, and that what Nolan Ryan did. I didn't know what to do exactly with this career. You know, it was wonderful and flawed. And what I've where I've come in and what I came to understand with this, This was a working man's career. And I asked myself, well, where did that come from? It came from his dad, that example of making your father proud and showing up and putting in the work. And you know this, it didn't have to go this way, but he almost insisted on it. And there's there's a real element there for me in terms of him recognizing early on that this arm was a gift. And I think I referred early that earlier in this conversation to him writing that gift it was actually just the opposite he could have written the gift, but what he decided was that I owe something to this gift, that I must honor this gift. And I think we all have a gift, right, we all have something we're good at. And I think what life asked you is what are you going to put into it? How much of yourself are you going to give to this gift in order to make the most of it. So that's that's what I would say.
Speaker 3: Amazing, amazing job on the book, Tim Brown. We look forward to more works from you. Tell everybody where they can learn more about you, where they can get the book, website or whatever, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Well, they can get the book wherever you buy books, Amazon, Apple, etc. I've got a website by Tim Brown dot com which won't give you anything more than like where to order the book basically, but yeah, where wherever you find them, they'll be there.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, great conversation, Thanks for being a guys guy, Tim Brown. Terrific job on Guys Guys Radio.
Speaker 4: Thank you man.
Speaker 2: Thanks Robert, it's guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: An amazing conversation about American legend, sports legend Nolan Ryan and what did we learn today? Well, First of all, I want to correct myself. I think I mentioned that Nolan Ryan was kind of like John Wayne and that they were both from Texas, but they weren't both from Texas. I don't believe John Wayne was from Texas, but if I said he was, and I think we could all consider the fact that he could have been from Texas because he's one of those strong, rugged individualists that sometimes from a mythology standpoint, we equate with Texas in many ways the real American individual But anyways, Nolan Ryan was special. Some of the records he set twenty seven major league seasons, which is a record seven no hitters, twelve one hitters who he's tied with Bob Feller for that, eighteen to two hitters, thirty one to three hitters, all records, five, seven hundred and fourteen strikeouts in a career, three hundred and eighty three in one season, twenty four seasons of one hundred or more strikeouts, twenty three seasons consecutive seasons of one hundred and more strikeouts. He also led to all pitchers of all time and walks. I think one of the takeaways about Nolan Ryan is he persevered. He started out he hadn't fully developed his fastball. He was wild. The Mets gave up on him, and he went to the California Angels. I'm not sure if they were the CA California or the La Angels at that time, but he blossomed there and his fastball became known as the Ryan Express. And he was never backed down, and he challenged the hitters and if you squared up to bunt against him, good luck the next time you got up. And if you got too close to the plate, good luck for you. Because he threw what was known as the boat tie, which would be right under the chin of the batters. And you know, it's a dangerous thing. I'm not advocating it, but sometimes these old school guys, these tough guys like Nolan Ryan, they would really challenge the hitters and it wasn't to hurt them, it was just to basically lay claim to the fact that that strikes in his mind. So he's a pretty amazing icon, and I think the lessons that we can take from him are about hard work and determination, real American attributes set I think we have to reflect on and remind ourselves on, especially nowadays. So I hope you enjoyed our interview with Tim Ryan about Nolan Ryan. Thank you for listening to Guys Guys Radio. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode.
Speaker 6: And until then, like I always say, guys, guys, finish first.
Speaker 7: Express one oh six point five FM, the number one FM talk.
Speaker 2: Radio station.
Speaker 8: KCAA, the station that leaves.
Speaker 7: No listener behind Express one oh six point five FM.
Speaker 9: I'm doctor Anthony Lyiserwitz, and this is Climate Connections. Every day, fishermen across the Bahamas head out to the ocean to harvest their catch. But now some of those fishermen are also harvesting data to help forecast hurricanes. They're contributing to the Global Fishing Vessel Ocean Observing Network, which provided them with sensors that measure water depth and temperature. The sensors attached to fishing gear and record data that shared with Behaman officials, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and others.
Speaker 5: We see it as a very cost effective way of getting good real time ocean data.
Speaker 9: Jeffrey Simmons is the former acting director of the Bahamas Department of Meteorology. He says ocean heat is the main source of energy for hurricanes, so the data could help forecasters better understand when a hurricane is likely to intensify quickly. For example, this happened in twenty nineteen when Hurricane Dorian hit the Bahamas as a Category five storm and killed dozens of people, and Simmons says, the fishermen are eager to help well.
Speaker 5: Hurricanes are out there create problems for them. They can't get to work, so they are excited to be a part of the community to assist us and get in information so that we can create better forecasts for them.
Speaker 9: Climate Connections is produced by the Yelle Center for Environmental Cannication. To learn more about climate change, visit climate connections dot.
Speaker 8: Org, KCAA and KCAA Internet television the station that leaves no listener and no viewer behind. Are you looking for a good union job? The Inland Empires fourteen thousand members strong Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two has opened a training center to get working people trained and placed in open positions in public service, clerical work, and in jobs in the logistics industry. This is a new opportunity to advance your career and raise standards across the region. Visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll today. That's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 1: And now the voices of KCAA with an exciting announcement.
Speaker 8: Want to hear NBC News or KCAA anywhere you go.
Speaker 2: Now there's a nap for that.
Speaker 4: KCAA.
Speaker 3: You is celebrating twenty five years in our silver anniversary for a brand new app.
Speaker 4: The new KCAA App is now available on your smart device, cell phone, in your car or any place.
Speaker 10: Just search KCAA on Google Play or in the Apple Store.
Speaker 4: One touch and you can listen on your car radio, Bluetooth device, Android Auto or Apple Car Play.
Speaker 7: Catch the KCAA buzz in your ear buzz or on the streets.
Speaker 8: Celebrating twenty five years of talk news and excellence with our new KCAA app.
Speaker 4: Just do it and download it.
Speaker 11: KCAAA celebrated twenty five years.
Speaker 8: The Tahebot Club is the only registered manufacturer of original pure powd R COO to hebot in the United States that's organic and naturally caffeine free. A one pound package of t is fifty nine ninety five. Shipping is free, so that really is the total price call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight Monday through Saturday nine am to five pm California time. That's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. Or visit to Hebot club dot com. To Hebo is spelled ta h ee b like boy oh, then the word t and then the word club. So the complete website is to Hebot club dot com or call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. That's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. The Tahbo tree is an amazing tree. It never gets sick, never gets infected, and never gets infested. It's the only tree in the world that fungus does not grow on. As a result, it naturally has anti fungal, anti infection, anti viral, antibacterial, and anti parasite properties. These benefits go a long way in helping our immune system contend with a lot of things that has to fight on a daily basis. Parasites would be something like stomach problems or limes disease. Inflammation would be something like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. Infection would be any infection from a tooth infection to a bladder infection. Bacteria would be something like gum disease or stomach issues. Viral would be something like herpes hib or the coronavirus, and fungus would be something like toenail fungus, yeast or candida. But maybe more importantly, the T builds red corpuscles in the blood which carry oxygen to our organs and cells, and our organs and cells need oxygen to regenerate themselves. The immune system needs oxygen to developed, and cancer happens to die in oxygen. So the tea is great for healthy people because it helps regenerate new cells, everything from the cells in our skin so we can look better, to the cells in our organs so they function properly, and it can truly be miraculous for someone fighting a potentially life threatening disease due to an infection, diabetes, or cancer. A one pound package of T is fifty nine to ninety five. Shipping is free, so that really is the total price. Call us at eight one eight sixty one zero eight zero eight eight Monday through Saturday nine am to five pm California time. That's eight one eight sixty one zero eight zero eight eight, or visit to hebot club dot com. To Hebo is spelled tah ee b like boy oh, then the word t and then the word club. So the complete website is Tahbot club dot com. Or call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. That's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight.
Speaker 12: Whenever life gets you down, missus Brown, and things seem hard or tough, and people are stupid, obnoxious or daft, and you feel that you've had quite.
Speaker 13: Een, just remember they're just handing on a planet that's evolving and evolving at nine hundred miles an hour, that's all biting at ninety miles a second, so it's reckoned.
Speaker 14: A sun that is the source of all our power. The Sun and you and me and all the stars that you can see.
Speaker 13: Are moving at a million.
Speaker 2: Miles a day.
Speaker 14: Now to spile alarm at forty thousand miles an hour of the galaxy, we're gone the Milky Way. Our galaxy itself contains one hundred billion stars. It's one hundred thousand light years signed to Sun boones in the middle sixteen thousand light years thick, but out by us it's just three thousand light years wide. We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point. We go round every two hundred million years, and our galaxy is only one of millions of billions. It is amazing and explained in universe.
Speaker 4: Unios.
Speaker 14: Itself keeps on expanding and expanding in all of the directions it can wiz as fast as it can go. The speed of light, you know, twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is. So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure, how amazingly unlikely is your birth?
Speaker 13: Okay, that there's.
Speaker 14: Intelligence, life somewhere out in space goes there's bug.
Speaker 2: Along down here on Earth.
Speaker 15: Empire talks back.
Speaker 10: The attitude that, well, the little guy cannot win seems to prevail despite the fact that over time we've seen that the little guy, if he is persistent, he becomes the big guy.
Speaker 15: Empire talks back.
Speaker 10: No, it's because maybe people figure out a little knowledge is like smoke. It leads to the fire.
Speaker 15: Empire talks back.
Speaker 10: I think this drive for equality, this drive for justice, is gathering steam as opposed to fading out. I think more and more people realize the importance of the freedoms that America.
Speaker 11: Represents Empire Talks Back with Wallace Allen and Friends Sunday mornings at ten am on Am ten fifty CASEA, but its funcoming.
Speaker 9: I'm doctor Anthony Leiserwitz, and this is Climate Connections. Ryan Reid is from the Karuk, Hoopa and Urok tribes in California. Growing up, he learned how his people long used intentional fire to keep landscapes healthy, but.
Speaker 7: We were never able to actually go out and do those things.
Speaker 9: In the early nineteen hundreds, states in the Forest Service began mandating that all fires be suppressed, effectively outlawing indigenous fire practices. The Forest Service has since reversed those policies, but their legacy remains. Many areas are overgrown with trees and brush that fuel severe fires, and the risks are growing as the climate warms. In twenty twenty, after a deadly wildfire near his home, Reid became a wild land firefighter with a Forest Service, a job beheld for four summers. He says, at times it felt contradictory.
Speaker 4: Fighting fire for an agency that have historically marginalized and oppressed my people.
Speaker 9: But he wanted to help keep people safe and now he's tackling the root of the problem by helping reduce the risk of intense fires. He co founded Fire Generation Collaborative, a youth led organization. The group educates people on the beneficial uses of fire and advocates for indigenous land management practices to build a more resilient future for all. Climate Connections is produced by the Yale Center for Environmental Communication. To learn more about climate change, visit Climate Connections dot org.
Speaker 8: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, the Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand, good paying jobs in various industries throughout the Inland Empire. If you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll today. That's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org. KCAA Radio has openings for one hour talk shows. If you want to host a radio show, now is the time. MAKEKCAA your flangship station. Our rates are affordable and our services are second to none. We broadcast to a population of five million people plus. We stream and podcast on all major online audio and video systems. If you've been thinking about broadcasting a weekly radio program on real radio plus the Internet. Contact our CEO at two eight one five nine nine ninety eight hundred two eight one five nine nine ninety eight hundred. You can skype your show from your home to our Redlands, California studio, where our live producers and engineers are ready to work with you personally. A radio program on KCAA is the perfect work from home advocation in these stressful times. Just type KCAA radio dot com into your browser to learn more about hosting a show on the best station in the nation, or call our CEO for details to eight one five nine nine ninety eight hundred.
Speaker 7: Or on board kcaa's Inland Talk Express KCAA Omeland ten fifty am The station that needs notice her behind
Speaker 2: Many ship