Speaker 1: In a world where fairways meet the airwaves, where Birdie's and banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. There's this Balls and teas your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the large screens and dive into the world of diveds, drives and delightful.
Speaker 2: Better right, ladies and gentlemen, it is the one and only twenty two in the ball with a lot of like. Yes, I am a classic man. As you already know, there's only one magician when it comes to golf podcast, and that is I myself. Listen, ladies and gentlemen, it is a Wednesday evening, and I'm so excited to be here because the last time I engaged with you was last week Wednesday. And as you know, man, my weekend starts on a Wednesday, and I told you do not inhibit bad habits of saying we can also start on a Wednesday because tomorrow are going to work. But nonetheless, ladies and gentlemen, as you know, were obliged. You asked us to actually carry the show abroad and to take it overseas, and we did exactly that. Because tonight's episode we have a guest from I won't say the place, but I can tell you that he's from abroad, and we are so excited to host this gentleman because he understands he leaves golf. But ladies and gentlemen, before I even bring in our guests, please, let's stick to the drill. And our drill is very simple. Get yourself an ice cold blast of water, juice, whatever you want to drink, because it's about to get hot in Yere. Already it's hot in Pretoria. I was anticipating some rain today, same as yesterday. But yesterday rained, today I see no rain at Also, I hope you guys are ready for this, because for as much as the show is going to be heated, you are going to learn a lot more about golf. So, ladies and gentlemen, let's take that two minute break and then after two minutes we come back. Then we progress with the show. You will enjoy yourself. Go get the glass of water, and then when we come back, as you know, things are about to get heated.
Speaker 1: In a world where fairways meet the airwaves where birdiees and Banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. This is Balls, and t's your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the large screens and dive into the world of diveds, drives and delightful better.
Speaker 2: The magician, Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to the only show that metals. As as said, I hope you've got your refreshments, because men, am I so happy? And you know what makes me more excited is the fact that the gentlemen that we have today actually has a name similar to mine. So hopefully it's gonna be more fun than I actually anticipated. So without any furtherer ado, ladies and gentlemen, please help me in welcoming Masta Antonio, Louro, ray Tony.
Speaker 3: Right, good afternoon to all.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for the invitation, and I'm sure it's gonna be very good and long and eded conversation with you.
Speaker 3: Turning to.
Speaker 2: Under present, TONI I just want to say, before anything else, thank you, thank you, thank you so much because I understand time. It's not your best friend. You're always on the move, You're busy, and I just want to say thank you for honoring this invite. Firstly and obviously to your team and everyone around you who's allowed us an opportunity to engage with you today. I just want to say a big shout out to them. I try to introduce you, but I don't think I did so much justice to your name, Antonio, would you please reintroduce yourself and just give the audience an idea of who you are, what you do and yeah, just those kind of things.
Speaker 4: Okay, good afternoon everybody. So my name Antonio Lord is Antonio Lord, and I'm sixty five years old, a project manager by trade sort of that.
Speaker 3: I have been doing.
Speaker 4: Projects all over the world and obviously along with that sort of playing golf for the last forty years. Three time Portuguese champion in two club championship, two times in mid amateur, one time overall. And I was actually born in Angolan many many years ago, and my first nationality is actually Angoland. So it was a dream to come back to Angolan and actually contribute for the growth of the country. And I've been in Angola for the last sixteen years and on the last five I was invited to become the CEO of a golf resort in Angola, just seven ti kilometers away from Loundon. So on these last five years I've been involved with with the resort, being even more involved with golf to the crazy point of becoming a professional with sixty two years old. So I've been playing the Senior Sunshine Tour in South Africa for the last three years. So it was a crazy decision but one which was important, one which was important for me as a person and as a sportsman, because it's actually that something which will keep me alive, will keep me training every day, will keep me sort of trying to improve every day, which is actually golf, all about golf, and obviously it was a great opportunity to join with one of the most powerful countries golf countries in the world, which is South Africa, and obviously giving us the opportunity of networking with important players, important sort of decision makers in golf, which is absolutely vital for us. Yet a goola, we are very a country which only has one golf course, which is actually the one I run, and it's a nation which has no experience whatsoever in golf, so it's a.
Speaker 3: Big, big challenge.
Speaker 4: And we'll learn in Africa that if you want to go fast, you go along, if you want to go far away, you go together. So the decision was get together with South Africa with.
Speaker 3: All the all the knowledge and.
Speaker 4: The networking in South Africa and sort of try to make something happen in both ways in golf and South Africa. So I hope it was not a very long introduction. That's pretty much what I am. But as far as this is concerned, it's forty years of golf with many, many roles both in Portugal and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hundred percent. Then I have to say thank you, thank you for that in depth introduction. You've taken away all the questions that I had. But I'll find something to ask. But before we even get into the crux of matters, Antonio, I just want to find out something you mentioned that you only got into the pro second three years ago, which is through the Sunshine Talk. Now, my question would be, has it always been a dream of yours to actually play professional or is it something that you were, like, you know what, I've been playing this sport for so long.
Speaker 3: Let me just.
Speaker 2: Continue enjoying it on a professional level.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, that's one of the things which we all go for. Shared is always the challenge. We need something to challenge us every day. And obviously, playing as an amateur with sixty five years old, it would sort of give me a few amateur tournaments and it was really not sort of the sort of competition and the challenge I was looking for. Obviously, playing with players like a few important names like David Frost, Neville Clark, Andrew McClard and Dog mcgig and Keith Horn so obviously puts the challenge into a completely different level.
Speaker 3: Obviously, by sharing the.
Speaker 4: Golf course, is sharing the putting greens with this very high level sort of players, it will give you a different view of the golf and a different challenge altogether. So I don't know if I made myself clear, but obviously it was a decision because it's playing professionally even at sixty two years old, was more the type of challenge I was looking for than simply playing amateur tournaments here and there, which are fine, but it was not enough for me as a challenge.
Speaker 2: I fully understand that, and I think it actually makes sense, because as a person, I believe that we thrive on challenges. If we become too complacent, then we don't really get fulfilled to say we have done what we actually wanted to achieve. So thank you for the clarity. Now, if anything, if anything I just want to find out from you, Antonio, is that I mean you mentioned that you have played in the amateur second for quite some time, and you've got a few accolades from there. Now, when we look at this professional aspect of golf or the professional space, especially when it comes to tory, because I believe that once in a while tournaments will be held in different places, how different is that compared to the amateur circuit. Do you also taught the continent during those amateur matches or are you only experiencing it now when you get into the professional circuit.
Speaker 4: Well, sort of touring as such, only nours that I'm playing in the in the professional circuit, and I played sort of amateur in Portugal for a long long time and it was sort of a pretty much sort of national competitions. I did play a few a few tournaments as an amateur in the in the professional in the professional circuits at my club I was club captain of Gutavus, which was host of the European Tour events. During five years in a row, we hosted as well sort of a senior at the Legends Tour now the Legends Tour, but then the Senior Tour, the Ladies Ladies Tour, the Challenge Tour. So we had quite a few events, professional events at ower at my club then in Portugal, and obviously as a Cup captain, I was invited to play quite a few times on the professional tournaments as an amateur. But during these sort of amateur sort of years, I was lucky enough to play like I played Shut Schwartzel in one year. The next year he was played the problem of the Portuguese Open with Shad Schwartzel and the next year he won the Masters. So the next year I played with Martin Kahan and the next year he won the Masters.
Speaker 3: So I was lucky enough.
Speaker 4: To play to play with a few big names of the professionals, and I was able as well to understand a bit what was the professional and the touring. But only now at sixty sixty two years old, I'm actually sort of being part of that side of the golf game. Which is a completely different side and as completely different pressures, completely different challenges from the amateurs. You know, amateur is pretty much like you defend your club. You want to become a good player, but you don't have the pressure of going from one tournament to the other and needed to make money to pay your trip. And yeah, even today with me, you go into the driving range and just just in front of you you Ky Torn eating balls. Behind you you have James Kingston and suddenly you realize what the hell am I doing here. It's a big challenge, and it's even worse when it happens with you and you have to make money to pay you on next trip. So the professional circuit is extremely, extremely demanding these days, no doubt, nothing compared with the amateurs. Although during these last years the amateurs, with the world ranking and the big sort of amateur tournaments is becoming actually the entrance door for the professional circuit. So these boys are really sort of getting the same sort of pressure, the same sort of training, the same sort of challenge that most of the professionals are living on a day to day.
Speaker 2: And I mean, like you said, the landscape is totally different between amateur golf and professional golf. I just want to find out if you were to compare the intensity of training or preparation between amateur circuit and the professional circuit, what would you say has changed over the years that you've actually played in the professional circuit and what kind of preparation do you actually do different to what you used to do back then.
Speaker 4: Well, Tony, really, the the industry and the the all the the the ages that you have today on your preparations from sort of everything, all the computers, all the track mans, all the technology, all the software that you put in your body and you check all the parts of your body in the swing and everything else. The evolution of that side of the game is been absolutely unbelievable. And obviously with that, all the training is changed quite a lot. So these days you see people sort of training flexibility, training sort of muscles, and all the preparation that goes into making a professional, top quality professional player is a lot more complete than used to be in my time. And basically, at my time we were barely touching the psychological part of the game and the sort of all of that, and today, Tony, that's part of the game. I don't believe there is a top professional player. And I'm sure that most of the top quality amateurs that they don't have a team of physical training, psychological training, sort of coach or swing coach, putting coach, whatever. It's a big team, that's and the training is a lot more detailed, a lot more sort of sophisticated, and used to be in my time. When I started playing golf, our idols were people like seven yen balles Teros, and it was it was all about talent. It was all about sort of the talent of the game. And you know, you know, we both know these days that talent is not enough. You need you need to put a lot more so the long and the short is obviously the preparation, the training, everything else today is absolutely different, a lot more intents, a lot more demanding. And when I was sort of a top amateur, you you used to train sort of two or three times a week, one or two hours. Well, if you want to be a top professional these days, that is the amount of hours you need to put in one day.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. You know, earlier I forgot to say, I've got to mention that because you did mention that you played with Charles Wattle and then he won the Masters, and then you played with Kingston if I'm not mistaken, and he also won the Masters.
Speaker 4: Martin Kanner, Martin Kanner, I'm not too sure what was the sequence, but it was two years in a row and they both want the Masters.
Speaker 3: Yes, Martin Kanner, it.
Speaker 2: Was Martin Kimer. Yeah, because I forgot to say, you know what, I think they were very lucky to play with you, because it seems that whoever played, if you want the Masters. So if anyone out there who wants to win the Masters, they need to schedule a game with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm always available on the Senior Sunshine Tour. We always play with amateurs. It's always a pleasure to share sort of the two days of golf with people which are willing to come and experience a bit of these forty years, a lot of a lot of stories, a lot of experiences with amazing people, amazing people that it's there's still references of the game of golf disdays.
Speaker 2: And I mean, as you mentioned, over forty years playing the spot and majority of those years you said you you were in the amateur second. Now I just want to find out obviously playing in different countries that the landscape is totally different. And you did make mention that currently in Angola there's only one golf course, which is Mangay if I'm not mistaken and looking at the accessibility thereof, and you were to compare it to South African accessibility to golf courses, how how much more work do you think still needs to take place within Angola for his dance to make sure that get the landscape competes with some of the world's top countries when it comes to golf.
Speaker 4: Well not maybe sort of defender basically our golf course. As you know, we we we've been helding sort of we have the senior Sunshine to coming to us. Uh this this year will be the fourth time. So last year the winner at our golf tournament, the Senior Manguy's Senior Classic, was David Frost. And so David Frost when he ended up ended the tournament, he was asked sort of David, what's your opinion about the golf course? And he told the new the guy from the radio and the newspaper, he told them that if he was blindfolded and brought on elicopter down to our gold of course, he would believe that he was thought that he was in Florida. So basically the our golf course has been sort of rated very very highly by all the players that have come to play with us. And I mentioned David Frost, but I can mention James Kingston, he was with us already.
Speaker 3: Keithorne was the.
Speaker 4: First guy which won the first edition of the Mangui's Senior Classic. We've got Doug mcgigan he won the second one this year.
Speaker 3: We had we had sort of Magnus Livy, which.
Speaker 4: Is a Swedish guy with more than thirty years experiencing the European Tour. We had Andrew Bozart, which is he was born in South Africa but the Swiss and a member of the Legends Legends Tour Committee. And we only received sort of very very good sort of opinions about the golf course. Is a full championship golf course, extremely demanding and it's a big challenge and it's basically.
Speaker 3: Untouched.
Speaker 4: Lens is nothing like we have in many many golf courses in South Africa which are part of a development project. So we've got a nice golf course, but it's it's all over all over the golf course and obviously with us it's nature, nature and nature, so it's a completely different field. And once again it's if I can, if I can try to make a similarity to South Africa, the only place where you can actually find something like the golf course we have in Angola.
Speaker 3: It's a wild coast, so you can you.
Speaker 4: Can see the basically what we have here, the same type of golf course, the same type of wind, the same type of proximity, proximity to the sea. So it's pretty much a wild coast golf course in Angola.
Speaker 2: That's lovely. That's lovely, and I believe our audience can't even wait to I'm sure that some are already googly and uh some can't even wait to come and play at Manguy. I just want to find out from you, like in secret playing at my guy uh as Antonio, mm hmm, right, how how many times have you broken that cost? How many times have you actually beat that course?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I broke that course about two times playing from the from the back teas and not even from the back, back, back back teas, because this is a seven thousand plus golf course at sea level with fairways that the ball doesn't run like some of the golf courses in.
Speaker 3: South Africa. So it's a very long, long golf course.
Speaker 4: For me with sixty five years old, I hit the ball between two twenty and two forty meters and I leave myself many times seven woods and five woods as a second shot. So's it's not an easy golf course. Obviously for somebody like Keithorn, which still plays on the Senior Sunshine Tour, is one of the top players of legend. Thure eats the ball to seventy to eighteen, it's easier for me. It's not an easy golf course. It's a golf course which I'm very very happy when I go round in Level Park.
Speaker 3: And just.
Speaker 2: With of wisdom to young golfers like myself, if you were to share something and reflecting on your early ages as a golfer, to say, okay, how, how or what would be the best way to approach the sport in general? Is it more about how hard you heat or how far you hit, or is it more about how strong you are mentally? Like you said that there's a huge difference now between amateur and professional in the sense that the mental acumen has been emphasized in the professional aspect. So if you were to look at your young self and maybe give a few tips to say, okay, right now I'm in the professional league. In order for you to actually continue enjoying golf and continue being the best is what you do? What would you say are the key that young golfers should actually look.
Speaker 4: Into, well, Tony, Really, the basically, if you reduced the golf the golf game, it's all about sort of eating fairways, eating greens, and making putts and actually, believe it or not, I believe the last one is by far the most important. If you put well, and if you go and check all the big big names in the golf the game of golf, they were all in that time extremely extremely good butters and I can tell you that I played, as I said, I played with many professionals. I played a few tournaments with top quality professionals and second level professionals and third level professionals, Tony, they all hit the ball very far, They all hit the ball very well. The difference is actually the short game and putting. If you do that well, you'll become a great, a great player golf player.
Speaker 3: So really, the.
Speaker 4: For me even today, it's the big, big challenges, go round and put well, make twenty nine, twenty eight, thirty puts, then you have an extremely good round of golf. Because if you do that, obviously the pressure of your long game, the pressure of your approach shots, it's less than when you know that if I'm not going to make the fairway and then if I have myself a long put, I'm going to three pot or I'm going to miss the pot, So the pressure for me starts building up from the green backwards.
Speaker 3: So if you're putting well, it's easier.
Speaker 4: You know, well, I missed the green, but I can chipen put or I went to the banker and I can do a bunker shot and a put. So I believe sixty percent of the game of golf today is but you need to put well to become a very very good golf player.
Speaker 3: It's my opinion.
Speaker 2: One. No, no, no, that's I mean, as I said four years plus in golf, I'd rather listen to all the advice that I can get and note it down than actually just going and approaching with my little experience that I have in the spot.
Speaker 4: You know. But yeah, it's really, it has been and it always will be. A putting is, but think is a game within a game. We all say that, and it's it's really what makes the difference. I was playing sort of a couple of times in the City Sunshine Tour and Bobby Lincoln he told me something which I agree one hundred percent, and that's the difference. It's putting is all about visualizing, visualizing and visualizing. If you see the ball going in, you have a great, great, great, great chance of the ball going in. So it's it's something which people don't train. And I see our amateurs. I will see many of our youngsters. They spend a lot of time on the driving range, hitting drivers to seventy to eighty, and don't even spend ten percent of that time on the putting ring. And obviously, I don't believe that's the right combination to become a good golf one er.
Speaker 2: All right, Antonio, we've reached the halfway mark of our show. Can we quickly go for a two minute water break and then when we get back show, we will be going deeper and deeper into this conversation because I believe we've your experience. There's so much that we can all learn, even people who are already in the professional. Second who are listening, they can still learn because I believe there's nothing that can eliminate experience. Regardless how good you are. If you don't have the experience or you haven't walked the second path, the only thing that can teach you would be from the horse's mouth, who has walked that path. So if you don't mind, can we peoplely go for that two minute break and then we'll get back into the conversation.
Speaker 3: Sir, Okay, we'll do so. Thank you, Tom the.
Speaker 1: Magician in the world where fairways meet the airwaves, where birdies and banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. There's the balls and teas, your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the last read and dive into the world of divids, drives and delightful better.
Speaker 2: Connection.
Speaker 5: Invisible Ink Consulting your gateway to financial success. We specialize in providing the best solutions to manage your finance and accounting, ensuring a better life for you and your business. Our expert team offers top notch accounting and tax consulting services tailored to various industries, including but not limited to, engineering, medical practitioners, in construction, nonprofits, events management, attorneys in financial services experience the power of our best analytics, backed by a commitment to our clients and a high level of knowledge. And Invisible Ink Consulting, we strive to deliver the best service you can get, making your financial journey seamless and rewarding. Choose Invisible Ink Consulting for a brighter financial future your success familiarity. Please visit us at www. Dot invisiblelink, dot co, dot Sea Torigus www. Dot invisiblelink, dot co dot Set.
Speaker 1: In a world where fairways meet the airwaves, where Bertie's and Banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. There's Balls and T's your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the large screens and dive into the world of divids, drives and delightful Better.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, we are still here on a Wednesday evening. Balls and is the only relevant podcast when we talk about golf internationally, not just here in South Africa. And as you already know, we are joined by a Sunshine Senior top player who is from Angola and this man has a lot of experience behind him when it comes to golf. So we will be going into a second segment and he'll be sharing a lot more about his experiences and maybe share a couple of tips to golfers who are interested in becoming professional, or even if you just want to play social, there's a few tips that can actually help you stand out amongst the rest Antonio, Yes, yes, Tony, thank you, Thank you so much for staying on the line. So we had a beautiful conversation before the break. So now, as I said, we are going to drill a bit deeper into what we've been discussing. The one thing that I just want to find out from you. I mean, you've seen all the changes within golf over the years that you've played golf, whether it be clubs, whether it be cost layouts, or even all the developments and technologies around golf. Now I just want to find out from you. Obviously you are in the professional second, and as you said, it's intent one needs to prepare physically, mentally and emotionally before every single game. There is technological advancements in equipment. There's traking systems, swing analysis and all those kind of things. Now, I want to find out from you, as a professional golfer, how often what impact do these things actually have in your game overall?
Speaker 3: But they do have quite a lot of quite a lover of impact.
Speaker 4: And starting for instance, on on putting. Today you have you have equipments like blasts, which is a small equipment which you add to the grip of your butter, which gives you which gives you absolutely vital information. Putting is all about the way you present the face of the club to the ball at the moment of impact, and half of the degree of closed and open can determine that you're going to make the butt or miss the butter. So that technology which helps you to understand your your swing, put in your butter and how you present the face of the butter to the ball. It's it's a massive change from what.
Speaker 3: It used to be.
Speaker 4: We used we used to to practice with aluminium rulers a meter one meter aluminium rules, trying to to eat the putts and the ball could not leave the aluminium rule. Obviously that with training you the way that you presented the face of the butter to the to the ball. But with this new technology it is absolutely vital and as you go, as you go to the full swing with the tractments and all that technology it gives you, it gives you vital information about what you need to do with with your golf swing. But probably probably because I'm I'm still an old school golfer. Obviously, all that all that technology tells me all the swing is but teaching swing, teaching golf for me or teaching a golf swing, it's all about feelings. Because you can see everything you want on this beautiful technologies and everything else. But as somebody, when you try to tell somebody what to do to correct the swing, it cannot be cannot be a piece of software, It cannot be an informatic information.
Speaker 3: It needs to be a feeling. You need to feel that your.
Speaker 4: Club is coming more inside, more up, your ends need to be a little bit loser.
Speaker 3: So really, I believe that the real, real.
Speaker 4: Important part of our today's teaching pros it is the ability of bridging the technology with being able to transmit the necessary feelings and sort of information so the golfers can change the swing and improve. So I would say that the technology is a huge step and it brings you a lot of information, but really I still do believe that people that want to improve golf they need to go to teaching pros and being able to be with them once a month or once every two months and being able to check the swing and see what's happening, and that will improve a lot. Not only technology, because Tony, I see these days because YouTube is a huge source of swing tips. You see everything you see from Chinese guys swinging the club and teaching you or to sing inside outside drives and jaws and fades and everything else. That's all great, but you need to be with the teaching pro. You needs to tell you, well, this is basically what you need to do. Because one thing is what you see in YouTube and you believe that what you need in your swing, and so many times it's not. It's not really not. You need somebody which is able to look at you and say, well, this is basically what you need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And and just just to make a follow up on that, two weeks ago, we had a guest, Jason Rowe, who is one of the founding members of the Golfers Club, and I asked him a question to say, Okay, how how important is it to actually get the right equipment or to go for fittings? And can I just ask you this as a professional, as someone who's seen the ups and downs within golf, to say, okay, how valuable is it for you to actually go for fittings if you want new clubs? And how does it relate to you? As you said, when it comes to things like a swing, it's more about a feeling for you. Now when it comes to equipment, obviously the weight will differ, the shaft will defer, the club face will differ. So how imperative is it to make sure that you've got the right clubs for you so that you can actually play the right kind of golf.
Speaker 3: Well, for me, it's fundamental.
Speaker 4: It's I go quite often to to South Africa to to to have my equipment checked and do the fittings. Anytime that I see that something is not correct, it's obviously all my my clubs are checked and they are made exactly to my my specifications, and everything is checked to the detail. And that detail is absolutely vital for you to perform at very high level. So so for professionals these days, Tony, it's it's a must. If you really want to play your best, you need to go to a fitting. You need to understand exactly what's the best equipment, what's the best specifications.
Speaker 3: And that's vital.
Speaker 4: Now as far as amateurs, let me tell you that obviously, as far as amateurs, yes, from a certain point, from a certain level of handicap onwards, it's also absolutely vital that you see you go to do a fitting for many reasons. First, because the equipment we buy off the shop sometimes is not exactly exactly the correct.
Speaker 3: Specifications for you.
Speaker 4: Sometimes the equipment itself, because it's mass production, is not exactly exactly what it should be. So the combination of and I'll tell you very very funny but very common thing. You ever set of clubs and then you have one club which you don't like, You.
Speaker 3: Never eat that club, well never.
Speaker 4: It's the sixth islan that everything works perfectly well. When I get to my six iron, it's not working well, Tony, just get it to a fitting because probably the six iron the specifications are wrong. There is something which is not exactly the same as the other clubs. And that's the reason why you cannot eat the six island. It's nothing to do with your swing. So the long and the short is well tony. Absolutely fitting is fundamental if you really want to improve your handicap. There is two sorts of fitting which I'll recommend for everybody.
Speaker 3: One is obviously the general.
Speaker 4: Player, the general play like the irons and the drivers and the woods.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 4: But one which many people don't even think about, it's putting fitting. So as you know, there is proper equipment you can be fitted. You can adjust a lot of your butter. You can just the light angle, you can just the length of your pattern, and I can tell you that that can make a huge difference. That can mean four or five shots in a round of golf. So fitting by all means percent.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that input, Antonio. Now you spoke about the difference that patting can actually make. It can actually determine whether you win or lose. With that being said, I really really want to find out from you. Actually, I've been dying to ask you this question since we started the show, to say which one of the tos you've played in what's your best and which was your West? And why was one of the best? Well was one the west? Could it be the fact that you want Could it be the fact that the environment was incredible? What?
Speaker 3: What? What?
Speaker 2: What actually made the difference between the two the West and the best that you've actually played?
Speaker 3: Well, the best was by far?
Speaker 4: Warning the Media Amateur Championship in Portugal, just to give you an idea, the last day you play, you play foursomes, which is a terrible, terrible modality of playing golf.
Speaker 3: So as you know.
Speaker 4: It's it's alternate shots and alternate tease, so if you miss your t shirt, your partner will be killing you. So it's it's it's a big, big pressure. And obviously we started the day, the last day, which was foursomes. We started the day we were about eight shots behind the the team which was leading and uh and playing fossoms. Myself and my partner we played sort of level power on a very very tough golf course and the other team which played with us, also from our club, it also played level part so we recover eight shots and we won by by We won actually by five, so actually they what was different I don't know the I can tell you that the golf holl was looking a lot bigger than usual because we were sort of reading the lines, reading the greens and making puts from all over the place, sort of eating tremendously good shots, recovering very well.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's sometimes.
Speaker 4: They the best is this by many of us in golf, like being in the zone. So you ended up not having any swing tots and you don't have any keys, and you just look at the target and you fire a target and it goes and you make everything. So that's the difference between the best and the worst is when you get to the golf course full of doubts and full of swing toots, and you forget about the target, you forget about enjoying your game, and then every shot is is a pain and it goes from worse to worse. And obviously what I'm saying, I'm sure that many of us today on this podcast, we know, we know this feeling. Unfortunately, we know this feeling, and it's all about sort of the mental game. The mental game can bring you to your best, can take you to your worst, and you really need to focus on sort of visualizing the shots shooting at the target and the confidence will bring will be raising and raising. And I don't know if I did explain myself and try to convey the difference between the best and the worst my best experience.
Speaker 3: I had a few.
Speaker 4: I won a few big sort of amateur tournaments. I play the few finals of amateur tournaments the World Corporate all of those. So I've been there and the ones I've won that the common trace of all of those.
Speaker 3: It's on those.
Speaker 4: Days you just look at the target and the bogos. It's as easy as it can get.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that explanation. And uh, to make a follow up on that, I'm gonna put you on the spot and more you're gonna put so it goes like this. Obviously, you've been playing in the Senior Sunshine Toal, like you said, for the past three years, you've played numerous courses here in South Africa. Now, of all the courses that you've played, if there's anyone that is in this Yes Sunshine Senior toll, which one are you looking forward to playing this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And why is that?
Speaker 4: That's That's a that's a very easy question, Tony. Everybody at a Senior Sunshine too knows that. For me, it'swood. It's a Port Elizabeth I love, I love my My. My golf course in Portugal was a Lynks golf course. So I played sort of too many years on a links on links golf course, and uh, it's the type of golf which goes which goes with my style. Yeah, I'm quite sort of comfortable with playing on a links golf course. Oomud in Port Elizabeth is a beautiful golf course, an old golf course, a really sort of proper links golf course. And it's tough, but it's no, I don't know. For me, it's very enjoyable, very very enjoyable. So I'm always asking the people on the Syne At sun John Tour when it's going to be Port Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: I'm there, m h.
Speaker 2: And then okay, obviously needs to be an opposite today to say, Okay, which one has been your nemesis since you started playing in the Sunshine Sia talk.
Speaker 4: But before I before I tell you that, uh, that one, let me tell you that many many people in the ask me, an Tony, what's the best golf course in the world that you play that till today? And just just for you to see how crazy I am. For me, the best golf course in the world is card Nusti, which is probably one of the toughest golf courses in the world. So and so it's it's it's it's crazy, but it's the style of golf I like and cart Nustias, something which you also see in a couple of golf courses in South Africa. For me, the quality of the golf course, it's not only the quality of the course itself, it's the quality of the club also. It's the quality of the service, how you received, and the the ambience and the when you get car Nusti, you like sort of breeding golf every second from the time you step out of the car. And so in terms of my worst experience in the Senior Sunshine Tour by far, and it's nothing to do with the quality of the golf course or the the the club hos which is all beautiful, all great, but sort of two years ago we played in Lost City and the greens were about fourteen on the steam meter. So basically I found myself in many greens trying to see how the hell I could three puts.
Speaker 3: So my first put was.
Speaker 4: Trying not to get outside the green, So it was it was a very very, very very tough sort of experience, and obviously it was mentally draining and very tough. But nothing to do with the quality of the golf course, which was great. The views were great, the club also it's beautiful. Nothing to do with that. But if you did ask me what was my worst experience, that that was the one.
Speaker 2: And I mean, like like you said, it's not about the quality of the halfway house or anything like that. It's basically what you experience on that day, and it will differ from passion to person. Same as you're seeing the best golf course for you. Some people may say, you know what, that was the worst because it's so tough. But I get an idea that you enjoy the challenge to actually get better and better after every single game.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, that's the name of the game, Tony, no doubt about that. It's every time that you step on teen number one, you want to be to do better than you did last time. Even if you want the tournament, you have a tremendous round, but on the next day when you go to tin number one, you want to do something better. And obviously that's golf that's why golf is such a huge learning experience for life, for my profession that I know, Golf teach you about your strong points, your weak points, and you need to in every day. You need to play for your strong points and understand what's your strategy. So golf many times teach you a lot more than you actually sort of convey on the first view. It's a very very sort of it's a huge source of learning. It has been for me not only that, but being a club captain for almost twenty years and managing so many teams, so many talent amateurs. You you understand how to see other people and mentally when they are strong and when they're not strong. So it's, uh, it's it's been a very uh, very profitable journey my forty years of golf really.
Speaker 2: And I have to say, like, like I alluded elia to the audience to say that, you know what, we are going to engage with one of the encyclopedias of golf, and we need to, we need to. We need to celebrate people who have been in this spot, who have played the spot on different levels, people who have played the sport from different countries, because as I said, nothing can substitute experience, regardless how good you are. But if you've not walked the second route, no, nothing can actually teach you except for those walk that road before.
Speaker 4: Absolutely nothing can teach you to win unless you have lost first. So losing is the only way, the only teaching that can I I'm losing my words in English. But in order to be able to win, you need to be able to lose and understand with your losses what needs to be done to become a winner.
Speaker 3: And that's the name of the game.
Speaker 4: And Tony, the point is even the top top guys, if you see the amount of tournaments they play and the percentage of tournaments they've won, it's unbelievable. The percentage of the top top guys will be two or three percent of the tournaments they've played.
Speaker 3: It's tough. It's a tough game.
Speaker 4: You don't win every day, and it's and uh, it's it's tough, really tough.
Speaker 3: Not that.
Speaker 2: No, one hundred percent. Now we are reaching well, we've basically reached the end of today's episode. But before I let you go, Antonio, really the Sunshine Senior twenty five, I believe it has started. Now I want to find out from you, what's the plan this year? Are we taking the majors or what's happening?
Speaker 4: But the Senior Sunshine to twenty twenty five has already started with the with the Q School, which happened at the end of January at the Royal uh At the moment they this the Senior Sunshine Tour, it's it's sort of having an internal profitable discussion to see how we can join efforts to increase the quality, increase the tournaments, increase the price money of the Senior Sunshine Tour. It's it's been a discussion which has been going on for the last month or two and we'll will lend at the beginning of March with the General agm and by then we'll certainly have a very very an increased sort of agenda, an increase a number of tournaments with more quality, more price money. And the only thing I can tell you for sure is that goal will still be on the on the on the agenda and we will keep on improving our tournaments.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 4: Once again the price money will be around one point two one point five million runs, so forty top players from the well thirty four thirty top players from the Senior Shant Sunshine Tour and ten top players which will be our guests from Europe. And this year we hope to have one of two really really really big names from Europe coming to play with us in Angola, and we already have the confirmation that David Frost will be with us in Angola. So the at the moment, we're working out to prepare this year for the City Sunshine Tour. I know that the board members and the players committee are getting together to make sure that we do more and better than we did last year.
Speaker 2: Awesome stuff and I definitely wish you all the best for this year. And I have to say I'm actually going to be looking out to see your name in the top three for every single tournament that you're participating in Antonio.
Speaker 4: Well, that that will be like reaching reaching the reaching the stars, I hope. So really, Tony, really, my my target this series obviously too, to enjoy myself and to to be able to improve in every tournament, which I believe it's it can be done. And uh yeah, if we reach the top three will be like reaching the stars. But if you do, if you don't mind, if you do, allow me just one minute and obviously people people heard about Angola and at the moment we have we have this offer to South African players which I want to come and play with us in Angola, basically because we are aware of the the very high prices of the airfares two Angola. Basically, what we are offering for people coming from South Africa to play with us is that we offer the stay and golf during the weeks. So if you want to come and play with us for three or four days during the week, the accommodation and the golf will be free. You only have to play your airfare and your food and drinks while we're here. And obviously in Manguis we have a few other things to offer which are very appealing to South Africa. We are about a kilometer away from a top fishing lodge where you can have a top fishing experience both in the open sea and in the river. And we have a very very special place. We have one hundred and fifty two different species of birds, with five are endemic. They only exist in Angola and in the exist in our resort. So if people want to come and join us for a couple of days of playing golf, I'm sure we can offer a few other very interesting experience for the people, which like the contact with the edge with an age.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's a huge of Antonio, and I hope everyone is listen, ladies and gentlemen, whoever you are out there. The name of the resort is man guys. Am I saying it right, Antonio.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and I and g I as mang guys. Yes, you can see it on the web. You can obviously. If people want you, they can reach you, and you have my contact. I'll be more than happy to help people come and offer the accommodation and go for free during the weekdays.
Speaker 2: Awesome stuff. Once again, Antonio, I really have to say thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your experiences, your insights, your wisdom with us, and thank you once again for joining us and gracing us with your presence. As I said, this year, I'm looking forward to seeing you in the top three. If it doesn't happen, I hope you enjoy every single game, even if you're playing at the West coast that you've experienced. I hope that this year to be different.
Speaker 4: No, no, for sure, thank you very much Tony for the opportunity of sharing some of my golf experience and hearing from you, and it's always a pleasure to talk about golf, talk about experience.
Speaker 3: And once again, thank you very much for the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Thank you once again, and you must have yourself a lovely evening. I believe that this is the year of success.
Speaker 3: Okay, we hope, so thank you very much, Tony.
Speaker 2: All right, Antonio, thanks bye bye, all right.
Speaker 3: Buye.
Speaker 2: So, ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. That is our international guest Master, Antonio Loo. He is, like you said, the CEO of Manguy is golf resort. And listen, ladies and gentlemen, you heard the offer. All you have to do is make sure that you make contact with the lodge. If you're going too Angla. You only pay for your flight tickets, you drinks, your food. They will sort you out with the accommodation and some nice golf on the number one result day is in Angola. That's weekdays. So if you didn't get the details, you can contact us. We will be delighted to help you because I believe that every single person needs to experience golf in all different parts of the world. And make sure that you engage with more people and continue building the society. So, ladies and gentlemen, we are at the end of our slot today. That being said, I have to say, don't say you've heard it from me. My weekend is starting today. If you're going to work tomorrow and make sure that you go refreshed and then you do your ultimate best to perform Friday. Yeah, you can start contacting me so that we can make plains, so that you can start playing golf. So with that being said, ladies and gentlemen, the Magician, the boy with a lot of flayers, the classic man, I am Tony tone and I am signing out, thank you, I love you. The Magician