Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast. Monster Talk is supported by listeners like you. Find out how you can contribute via Patreon or with reviews at monster talk dot org, forge slash support. Your contributions, large or small, make a huge difference. Thanks.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of equipment that we use.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of equipment that you guys never see on the show.
Speaker 2: But some of the things is.
Speaker 3: That they do see on the show a lot of times. The thermal imaging camera and also the key two meter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now this just manages magnetic fields and certain frequencies.
Speaker 3: None of our equipment is really intended to be used for general investigation. You don't really make that stuff, so.
Speaker 4: We have to kind of cannibalize them all around us.
Speaker 2: And this is a lot of our tools come through blex issues. All right, as you've seen, you've got the thermal, you've got the wall here by walk over and equipment heard of the wall one, two, three, four or five.
Speaker 3: You still see that we've.
Speaker 2: Got the handprint.
Speaker 5: We get some of our most compelling evidence using this. Basically all it is is recorder.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 4: A giant hairy creature, Part eight, Part mass in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 2: Monster.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. This is part one of a multi part conversation about ghost hunting gadgets. We'll continue this discussion in near future episodes because I'd like to dig deeper into the physics described by amateur go hunters as compared to how physics is actually used in science. But for this episode, we're going to focus on the equipment and technology used in amateur ghost hunting. Joining us for this discussion is Matthew Baxter. Matthew spent many years investigating ghosts, performing stage magic, doing tours of haunted sites, and if you didn't know it, he's also Karen's husband. We hope you enjoyed this conversation about a topic all three of us really like. Morenstertle, Welcome to Karen, who's always here, and Matt bater bachter Bus is pronouncing yeah, yeah, buster, buster Buster.
Speaker 5: He has had that before too.
Speaker 1: Ghost is my middle name, but seriously so, Yeah, Matt Baxter, I've known you guys for a long time, but.
Speaker 5: I can't it's I know we've.
Speaker 1: Have we ever done a monster talk with all three of us. It seems like we have, but I can't remember.
Speaker 5: You can end Ray Garden too, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, five or.
Speaker 5: Six years ago while wanting to reprise that too, and to I think, just with everything that's been going on, he was wanting to come back on the show and talk again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like Ray, He's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was our Uh. I can't remember what I called it, something about Connecticut Yankee, but it was like it was like a take off of the Connecticut Yankee and King Arthur's Court, what keen Author's Court, That's what it was. Yeah, Yeah, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 5: Yeah gold punt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm terrible. Anyway, Well, Matt, we're having you back to talk about ghost hunting gadgets. But before we just like dive in on that topic, I thought it might be useful to sort of back up and explain who you are and what your experience has been in this this field and how you if you want to talk about a little bit, how you came to your current position on this matter.
Speaker 2: For sure. Sure, I've been, I guess, in the realm of ghost hunting, paranormal investigator, whatever you want to call it. I've been doing this kind of thing for probably twenty seven or twenty eight years and have worked with a number of groups. And it got to a point to where I realized that with every investigation I was doing, with every interview with you know, claimants that I was doing, that I was actually not learning anything new. And that's kind of the whole point of investigation or research is to try to learn something, to get some new information to go in some sort of direction. And unfortunately, after all that time, it had kind of started grinding to a halt and made me realize that maybe I should shift my gears a little bit more to how people pull off fraud when it comes to ghosts and hauntings and demons and all that kind of stuff, and actually aliens it's another good ripe area for fraud. And started learning a lot, a lot more, and then after a while you just get psychologically overloaded and you got to step back and take a look at the big picture and and be prepared for podcast interviews.
Speaker 5: You can never be prepared for this podcast.
Speaker 2: Not this one. Nobody expects the monster talk.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you never know. So we've got you know, for people who are to it's gonna say, look what I was just to say, For people who want a little peak behind the screen for how we do this show. We've been early adopters to Google Docs, and we we kind of share information via Google Docs and you know, do you know behind the scenes at some notes, We've got a cool list of ghost hunting gadgets here. Uh.
Speaker 5: There some expected and known ones and some rather unexpected ones too, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I thought, Matthew, with your extensive experience, uh doing uh and correct me if I'm wrong, But you've you've done these uh as you would you? Would you say that your position on hauntings has shifted over time? I mean, did you start out as more of a believer and shift to skepticism or did you all were always skeptical or or have you always been secretly a believer? And I'm about to be really surprised what you're going to say.
Speaker 5: But you as a skeptic and now is a believer.
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 2: Can you blame me? The the It's really interesting because you kind of get put in those two camps of either being a believer, which you know, they all have their own uh you know, paranormal conferences and everything else, or you're a skeptic and they have their own conferences and everything, and both groups are kind of real pain in the ass. To be honest, it's it's good to keep an open mind. Yes, when you go walking into this stuff. It's good to just say, I'm going to see where the chips fall. But I started off being more of a believer. But I did my best to keep, you know, a critical mind. But when you have the mindset of being a believer, a critical mind isn't exactly a natural state of beings. So it took a while of me discovering on my own. I mean, I can tell you my first real Scooby Doo type experience. And I was walking up to this old house. Now, this this house was in a neighborhood that I grew up in, and we all knew it was haunted. So when I had decided I was going to be a paranormal investigator, I went back to this house. I drove back to this town that I hadn't been in for a while, and I went to this house, and I took another investigator with me, and we waited until midnight as you're supposed to, and walked down the driveway, walked up to the house, and the house had been abandoned for years. So I walk up and I grabbed the front door the doorknob, and I turned the knob and it's unlocked. So of course that gives me a really uneasy sense, and it also tells me you're screwed. You got to go through with this. So I pushed the door open. And when I pushed the door open, I looked back to see where the if my partner was with me. And when I did that, I turned my head back around and the door slammed in my face really hard.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: So this scared the crap out of me. I ran over the top of the other guy down the driveway and I got to the end of the driveway and I said, wait a minute, I am not going to be a good paranormal investigator if this is how I approach things. So I walked back to the house. I opened up the door, pushed it open, and the door closed. I pushed it open and the door closed, and then I noticed that the top hinge was loose on the door, so every time I pushed it open, it was going to naturally just close. And that was my first real good lesson in don't run away from everything and use a critical mind. And that's been my most valuable piece of equipment since.
Speaker 1: You you described that as a Scooby Doo moment. It reminds me of my first Scooby Doo moment. If you don't mind me sharing.
Speaker 2: I need to hear this. Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: I was going to watch horror movies. Excuse me, I was gonna watch horror movies over my mom's house and hold on, I'm gonna cough. Apparently I'm breathing liquid, which is not right, so I U But this was like they were out of town or something, doing doing some work, and I decided to go to Little Caesar's and they have that thing where you scary Well, yeah, so you can get like two pizzas for like nine ninety nine or something crazy like that.
Speaker 5: And still it was.
Speaker 1: A good deal.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was in college, And I got both pizzas and put them in my car and started driving home. And I sort of started eating pizza as I was driving, which is probably not a great idea anyway.
Speaker 2: That's more of a shaggy moment.
Speaker 1: Well maybe it is a shaggy moment because by the time I got home, one of the pizzas was completely gone. How can you explain this?
Speaker 2: You should have gone back and said, it's supposed to be pizza, pizza, and I only have pizza.
Speaker 1: I only have pizza exactly now. It literally did remind me that though, because I used to love to eat pizza and watch scary stuff. Wait, I still do that. Never mind, I've had one of those Scooby moments where like you get to unmask in it's old man Peterson wearing a rubber mask. But I do love it when when you can sort of velma slash thread moments where you really uncover what's really going on. I love it.
Speaker 5: So Yes, yes, a huge list to get through here, so let's get into these. I'm sorry fun ahead. So to begin with, I think probably the most popular tool used by tools are the email readers. Yes, if you can tell us a little bit about those and how you've used them and how other people use them.
Speaker 2: Well, the way other people use them. It's an electromagnetic field detector, and what they do is you've got basically two different kinds. You've got the kind that basically, uh looks for a c fields and that's man made, so your microwator human made. Those are human made, so your microwave, your refrigerator, things like that. It's it's that that that human made elect tricity kind of situation. Appliances are big for that. And then you've got the DC ones, the natural fields. Those are more like electrical storms or the Earth's natural electrical field, or a human being or you know, an elk whatever. I mean, it's it's going to be more of a natural field. Now, a lot of a lot of the paranormal investigators or ghost unders really rely on these and they think that if they find a field that it's a ghost. But the truth is the fields are everywhere, and it's hard to not run into an electrical field. Now.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I was just going to say, I've seen a lot of ghost hunting TV shows where you've got someone who will run an emath reader over themselves or over someone else in the room. What's that actually and then it's goingpp, what's it actually picking up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it depends on the kind that it is, because if it's an AC reader, it's still picking up say, wiring in the wall, and they just think it's picking up themselves or a spirit nearby, because you can actually have someone standing near a wall and run one of those up and down their back and it'll pick something up that's something is strange as standing behind them, when really what it is is their big body, which is a slab of meat, is reflecting that field back off of it, so it'll read that field. So the AC meters are not good for picking up ghosts now the DC meters. In a former group I was in, the leader had this strong belief that if you're going to find a ghost with an E MF detector, it's going to be one of these natural field detectors. I don't necessarily just agree. I don't agree with that personally, but I think it's good to be able to measure both kinds of fields. The problem is is you see that theory floating around the paranormal community quite a bit, and people walk around with these meters trying to find a field. And the problem is is as they're walking around, they're carrying their own field with them, and that's what the reader will often read is their own field and they're like, oh, there's a ghost here and it's following me. Not really.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's really challenging because everybody these days, at least here in the first world country typically well even in third world countries. There's a lot of places. They carry mobile phones, they carry watches, they're walking around with flashlights. They've got all these different pieces of equipment which can generate fields. And you're going through a house and even if the if you go and turn off the lights, which seems to be a popular thing to do on a ghost hunt, you still got eletrousity flowing through the walls. I don't understand. I mean, theories about what ghosts are aside, the idea that EMF spikes represents an entity or a sign of ghosts seems really problematic.
Speaker 2: It is really problematic. But here's here's kind of the problem with ghost hunting. You have it the the the romanticness of it being spurred on by reality TV. And the real flaw here is people think that they can watch this ohso educated professional such as Zach Begonds, uh you know on the screen, Yeah, you knows.
Speaker 1: I was just watching he's vegans. I was just watching Demon House. Uh again, I'm sorry, Yeah, yeah, I know the things I do for this show.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You know Daniel Tosh used to call him no no, no no sorry. Joel McHale on The Soup used to call him Scooby Douche, which sorry but yes it sounds very push Sorry, sorry, sorry, Matthew.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is is, you know he's up there acting like he knows everything. There's no about this. You've got Jason and Grant from Ghost Hunders doing the same thing that they're so experienced, they know so much, and the problem is is they don't know what they're doing, and by the time that they discover that what they're doing is wrong, they're already making so much money at it that they only really now know how to push it further to make more money. So you get these people that watch these shows and go, hey, if this guy can do it, I'm learning all this great information from them him, I can go out and I can do this. And it's weird because you don't get someone that watches an episode of say House and then thinks they can go perform surgery.
Speaker 1: But let's hope not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, good point. But the problem is is that with this people think that they can watch a few episodes and read some articles on the web and they're good to go. They don't need to learn about the equipment what it was originally designed for, because detectors were not designed for paranormal investigation. And since they don't know what they're actually designed for, they're using them in the complete incorrect way, and so it's all problematic from the moment they turn on that TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's move on to another piece of equipment. Well, let's talk about the Spirit box or Frank's box, which is kind of ties into EVPs. And I don't want to go too deep into VPS because I think that's worthy of an entire episode.
Speaker 5: We've treated it on a few episodes. Yeah, you will have to do a full episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very interesting. But but the spirit boxes specifically seemed designed to to help pick up audio noise, which you can then search for patterns. But that's my skeptical interpretation. How do you how do you see them being used?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's basically a broken radio. Now. Myself, Absolutely Lovely, an investigative column writer at the time, interviewed Frank Sumption, and I can't remember her name.
Speaker 5: I think I mentioned it up to this point that you and I are married.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I froze for a momentary. I apologize, And we got to interview Frank Assumption, and you know, he fully admits that he takes a radio and he breaks it so it no longer works. So it's a lot like when you would sit in your your dad's pickup truck and twist the knob back and forth on the on the radio, and you know, you know, as it goes across the bands and lots of fun. But we didn't know that we were communicating with both aliens and ghosts and other entities when we did that. And that's what it is is he just uses random voltage to jump across the bands.
Speaker 5: And I think the listeners know that you have worked as a magician of sorts and that you've led theatrical salances and you've used the Frank's Box because we have it Frank's Box, a real Frank's Box from Frank enough to give us one yes to test, and that you've used those in your salances and had some fun results in the past.
Speaker 2: You know, it was fun because what we thought we were going to have to do. Originally with this Franks Box was put an additional speaker inside of it to play some pre programmed scary things that the ghost could actually say to the participants, But we realized very quickly we didn't need to do that. People are so ready to hear whatever they want out of all this garble, these bits of speech and music and everything else coming out of this thing, that we can just prime them on what they're going to hear, and they will. So we'll start off and say, can someone in this crowd choose a word that we can have the frames box say back to us, and then if we can get at least three or four people that heard that word come through, then we can feel comfortable that we've established a connection with the other side. Is that reasonable? And they'll all say yes, and then someone will say, how about calliflower? Okay, so we'll just turn it on and wait until somebody thinks they heard cauliflower. One person raises their hand, and then automatically several more will raise their hand because they heard it too, and we're good to go. We can have that box say anything we prime them to hear. Wow, that's it was. It was so much fun. Yeah, it was a lot of fun too.
Speaker 1: It always reminds me of two things. Number one is Bumblebee from the Transformers.
Speaker 2: Exactly, that's he is the coolest Franks Box ever.
Speaker 1: And the other is, uh, I used to do a lot of road trips back before I had kids and can't get out of my damn house. And yeah, and I would, you know, late at night, especially crossing the desert, listening to Coast to coast AM. You'd go from one you know, radio station zone to another, and in between you could like set your radio to search and try to find signals, you know, to pick up anything to listen to and hopping between like crazy, you know, bounced off signals from Chicago or Mariachi stations and all these different things. You never know what you're gonna hear, and and it just little pieces and snippets. But you know, obviously this is a little bit more well weirdly, it's less directed, but it has more i think propensity to pick up your own signals or you know, interprets your own way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm really sorry, Blake, but in my head, I'm imagining you in the role of Tom Cruise and Jerry Maguire when he's trying to find something good to sing.
Speaker 1: To show me the Mummy, Show me the Mummy. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But as soon as free falling comes on, man, you're you're ready to go.
Speaker 5: Yep, let's not do a rendition.
Speaker 1: Now, No, we'll skip that.
Speaker 5: Well, moving on. What about cameras. I mean, you've used cameras in your own investigations and research in different specific tops of cameras.
Speaker 2: A lot of different kinds of cameras. I mean, the best one that we've you know, had luck with just a plane camera, a digital camera. And it's interesting because people seem to think that infrared cameras are going to pick up things, or thermal cameras, which is something we should we should talk about probably separately in a minute. But they think that just taking pictures in the dark is going to yield results, and it does. They get orbs, and they get vortexes, and they get all kinds of stuff because they're using a camera in a way it wasn't designed to be used. So the way we would use them is we would walk into a place and document how the place looks, you know, we would know exactly I mean it wasn't long ago that Blake had sent a photo of a castle? Was it in Scotland?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I you mean the one like from like a week ago or a.
Speaker 5: Few days Yeah, oh yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: That was mid England. Yeah, mid England. Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, See, the thing is is, what would have made that really great is if we could have got another picture of that same place from the same angle during the day or you know, five minutes before, five minutes after whatever, to see what has changed. And that's how you solved it, basically is by finding similar photos and being able to compare. So when we would go into a location, we would take photos of everything we could. That way, at the end of the night, we would go through and take photos again. If anything had changed, hopefully we would be able to figure out exactly why it changed, such as hoax, fraud or an actual ghost pushing something off a countertop, you know. But the thing is is we would use it more as documentation rather than hoping we were going to catch an ORB.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should take a moment because I don't know what percentage of our audience knows about orbs, But maybe maybe we should explain with Bizar and what they the skeptical interpretation.
Speaker 2: Is sure sure now orbs when if you just go online and do a quick google for ghost photos or orb photos, you're going to come up with a ton of these. But we've all seen these in pictures where you see this little white Sometimes there's other lighter colors, light colors in there as well, but usually they're white. It's just a circle seemingly floating in the middle of the picture. And these came about pretty much when digital cameras came about, So something changed when we went from film to digital that suddenly made ghosts which used to have a peer, you know, as these spooky spectors on staircases and things like that, they just turned now into round balls of light. But if you know anything about how a camera works, we have particulates in the air constantly. And if you've got a little particulate, a little piece of dust that floats in front of your lens, say three to four inches away from your lens, and then your flash goes off, the flash is going to light up that piece of dust. And a lot of people don't really know that a piece of dust is not this perfectly round little thing, but it's got a lot of different facets on it. You know, it's almost like a floating diamond. That might be a little too flowery, but its visual. It's not a round thing, but it's not these facets on it. So if that flash, when it goes off, it's one of those facets just right, it's going to flash back into the camera lens. Now the camera is trying to focus on something in the distance. That means that something that close will be out of focus. And what happens when something's out of focus, all the edges are blurry depending on how out of focus it is. So something that could be you know, quite I have quite a lot of texture on it becomes just round. And that's how orbs, you know, come to be. It's just dust. It's always in the air, no matter how much we think that it isn't you know, I don't see any dust. Well, that's because it's small, and that's that's the whole reason. I mean, sometimes you can take several pictures in a row and you won't get any orbs in one, and then suddenly you'll get three in the next one. And that's because they're always turning and everything else in the air, and suddenly one of those facets will connect with that flash and you've got a big, beautiful ORB. A great way to really see how the air moves, though, because you know, we think that the air is pretty stagnant. But if you like, take a fog machine and fill a room with fog, you can just sit there and watch how the air is moving in that room. It's never stagnant. YEP.
Speaker 1: I did the same thing with a match, a Winden match. It makes a nice smoke. You can sort of watch the things move around. It also clears up the odor if your kids are particularly stinky.
Speaker 5: Many Kids's got two comments at some point anyway, and this is something else you wanted to add.
Speaker 1: Like I do, But go ahead, because I want to talk about cameras a little bit more.
Speaker 5: Oh so did I? Yeah, I just wanted to get Mat to recount a story. But first of all, I remember going to a paranormal conference years ago, and this woman was giving a talk on orbs, and she started by saying that she was really skeptical about orbs, and she said, you know, I need believe that I'm stuffing this story up now so I could hear I could hear Bade Blade, and I.
Speaker 1: Think good, but I cannot hear it, so yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Think you're fine anyway. So she said, I'm really skeptical about orbs, and I only believe that nine out of ten or a not all. But I think the story, Oh my god, how you recount it, Matt, because you actually know this story too, And I don't worry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I've heard this, you know a ton of times that that a lot of people say that, oh, you know, ninety percent of orbs are all just dust, but it's that other ten percent, or or they'll say ninety nine percent, but it's that other one percent that you have to be careful, you know, it's whatever.
Speaker 5: You know, how do you differentiate between what's a ghost and what's an orbit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me throw out that. One of the interesting things is most orbs are fake, but the ones that have smiley faces in particular, you know, that's one that like really because they do look a lot like emojis. But that that seems like a weird criteria for saying these are the real.
Speaker 2: Well, well, that's the thing is if they if they have texture, then they're more than likely a ghost. If they're just completely smooth, then it's just dust. But if they have a little bit of an orange tinge to them, that also means that they're demonic, so you have to be careful of that.
Speaker 5: That makes it sound more plausible anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I do want to mention speaking of cameras. You know, listeners will know that ghost photos is one of my absolute passions in this field, going back to like the Watertown ghost investigation, bigfoot photos. You know, that's not particularly paranormal, but you know, interpreting photos and trying to figure out what's really going on is I would almost say i'm OCD about it. I really enjoy trying to figure out what's really going on. And yeah, I know this one pattern that I see over and over again is that we didn't notice anything when we took the photo, but later when we went back and looked at the pictures that were developed, we saw this weirdness, you know. And one of the main things is is we didn't see this. There was nobody there, you know, and then all of a sudden, there's an image of a person there. And I think it's worth mentioning how poor human memory is for what was actually going on at the time a photo was taken.
Speaker 5: This totally leads me to ask Mat to recount a story about the brook Forest Lodge in Evergreen. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about now.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I was. I was thinking that I could also supply the images for this to even have some Patreon content.
Speaker 1: We love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people wanted to see some of these actual things. But the brookfest In is this beautiful mountain.
Speaker 5: Bok first In. I always say to lodge, that's the one in California I went to right right.
Speaker 2: Well, if you happen to pick up Karen's great book, would you believe it? The photo on the cover is actually of the brook forest In, and the story that I tell in the book is actually of the brook Forest In as well. And it's a great place. I think a lot of people think of the Stanley Hotel as being the scary hotel in Colorado. No, go to the Brookforest In. It's a beautiful, scary place with some great stories behind it. And we kind of became the paranormal Oh what's the phrase I'm looking for poster children. I would almost say mascots. We were the paranormal mascots of the place. So no other groups were allowed to come in and that's a good thing because previous groups had done some vandalism and stuff like that and taken some liberties that they shouldn't have. But that does happen a lot on investigations. So we were the only ones allowed in there because we were expected the place. So anytime somebody else called up and asked to come do an investigation, the owners would say, you have to call these guys first, so they would call us, and our stipulation would be, you can come to an investigation if you allow us to give you a class on how to do it. So that's a pretty bold thing to say to someone else who they also think they're experts. But we actually had several groups that were like, yeah, absolutely, you know, because they know we've been around a while, so they wanted to find out how we did things. So we give these nice long lectures to them and say, okay, you're free to go off and do your investigation now. One of the things we try to teach them is when you take a picture, pay attention to what you're taking a picture of. Don't just kind of casually point your camera around to click, click, click without having some intention.
Speaker 5: A lot of people do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they certainly do so, pay attention to what you're taking pictures of, and take more than one picture of, you know, every thing you do so, of course, and leave the lights on. Don't turn the lights off, you know, just a hint. It's not more haunted if the lights are off. So they get in contact with us about three weeks later and they send us this picture and they say, we can't figure this out. This picture has us really freaked out. So and it was just kind of a weird blob. They took it in the dark, like we told them not to, and it was kind of this weird blob. So we put it into photoshop and brought the lightness up and everything, and it started to look like some kind of demon dog or something. But it was kind of a terrifying looking picture. So we said, well, can you send us the pictures before and after this that you took And they said, oh no, we threw all the rest away. This was the only one that was interesting. Wow, And it was like, oh my god, did you hear nothing that we tried to teach you. You keep every photo. You don't throw things away because they're not interesting, because they can be educational. But luckily we had taken tons of pictures up there, so we went in and we started matching up the shapes with clear pictures we took with lights on, and oddly enough we found it. We figured out what it was and what it was was it was it was it was a demon dog. It actually was. No. There's photos hanging on the wall, the walls of this place in different areas, and one of the photos had some some scenes like maybe from Italy or something, and there was this statue of this lion and they took a picture of this picture in the dark. Wow, and that was their demon dog. Yeah, yeah, and it was. I mean they got to spend less time trying to scare themselves and more time try and more time try to actually do an investigation. Uh, you know, because I mean in the Brook Forest in we've had some great experiences. You know, we've seen some strange things happen that actually make us go we're skeptical, we don't necessarily believe in ghosts, but this place makes us realize we don't know everything. And that's okay, you know, it's okay to say I don't know just makes you want to do it more. And uh, and that's that's one of the great things about the whole idea of paranormal investigation. But those moments, unfortunately can get rare.
Speaker 5: So you experience there that you recount in my book is interesting. I don't know if you've got time to tell it.
Speaker 2: Do we like?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 5: I mean, I wasn't there, But.
Speaker 2: We can make this like a three or four part show.
Speaker 5: For Patreon people.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, for Karen's book, would you believe it? And Blake, you have a story in this book too. I would say that Monster Tuck fans would definitely pick us up because I love your story. You got a great one. But uh, you know, we're up there at the Brook forest in and it's a blizzard and the snow is just coming down. It's it's definitely a scene out of the Shining Now. The caretaker of the place, the place is completely empty except for us and the caretaker, and the caretakers like, great, you guys are here. I'm going to go to the bar because he never gets to leave otherwise. So he leaves us there at the place and he goes to the bar. So we're not the bar in the hotel, yeah, down down in Evergreen. He goes down to every otherwise he'd be drinking alone.
Speaker 1: So he's always the caretaker, has always been there.
Speaker 2: He's gonna go hang out with Jack, gotta go hang out with Jack, Torrance and everything. But so he goes down into Evergreen and we're left there alone. So we're investing in and all of a sudden, we're upstairs and we hear the front doors blast open downstairs and people coming in and stomping off their boots and laughing and talking, and we're like, oh, Greaty brought the bar home with him, and we think this is just perfect. How are we going to do an investigation under these conditions? So and we're starting to hear, you know, glasses tinking and stuff, you know, as people are filling up their glasses and drinking and at the bar down there downstairs, and it's like, okay, well let's go down and see if we can kick them out. And we at the top of the stairs where we can see down into the bottom floor there, and the sound stopped immediately, just like someone had lifted the needle off her record, and that was really strange. We walked down, nobody was there, The doors were closed and locked, there was no snow, on the floor. We looked out there were no tracks in the snow. Hearing this the place, Yeah, we were all hearing it, and the place was silent, and we thought somebody's gonna jump out. But that doesn't explain why, you know, there's no snow on the floor, why nothing's disturbed, there's no tracks in the snow. We just couldn't figure this out. So we went back upstairs and found out that even after we had gone downstairs, they were still hearing it going on upstairs. And it was after we had been downstairs for a moment or so that it just shut off for them. And I I don't really understand what happened. I can say that when a snow plow went down the highway out in front of the place, the plow, the sound of the plow would almost sing off of the pavement as it's pushing the snow out of the way. That metal bit against the asphalt. And it makes me wonder with all the sort of you know, white noise if you will, of the snow, uh just there that I don't know, that drastic silence kind of has a noise of its own in a sense. But then they have that like a snowploud going down or a truck going up that maybe it's somehow created some sort of echo or audio illusion or something. Because you know, that's another thing that you know, we should also talk about as the whole you know.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, that's actually a perfect segue. I wanted to talk about audio equipment. I know personally from my experience that a lot of ghost owners really highly value digital recorders with low fi recording capabilities because and this is my interpretation is that the less accurate the audio recording, the more one can interpret things in the audio resulting file. Adjectively, Yeah, but but but yeah, what kind of like you know, you know, recording equipment that detects sound and then turns on automatically, that sort of thing. What kind of things are you seeing being used by GHO centers?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean we see all kinds of things. I mean still from the handheld mini cassette recorders to it really depends a lot of people aren't just using the equipment on their camcorders. We actually brought in you know, decent recording equipment that was you know computerized on the end, you know, the video digital you know, audio hardware and everything. But we really strive to get the highest quality recordings we could, and again they were for documentation. They weren't for you know, we wanted to find out what the normal sounds were in the place and if there was any pattern to them. You know, in the brookforest in for example, they would keep hearing these footsteps walking around, and we found out from our recordings that it was actually the furnace. Every time the furnace would shut down after it had run to a cycle of heating, it would thump several times. And using a combination of our audio recordings to kind of, you know, measure when this sound would happen. We also used a seismometer to see the direction of the sound and that told us a lot as well, because you know, if you're going to have someone that's taking footsteps, the vibrations are going to give a very up and down sort of vibration. But if it's something more that's equipment that's causing the whole place to shake, you get it going in all directions. Well, look at the seismometer.
Speaker 1: One of the most to me still creepy, even though I know what's going on. Common illusions is when you go up a stairwell and the echo of your own footsteps bounces off the ceiling behind you if the age and then bounces back. So like if you have one of those stairwells where the ceilings, uh, it's really really creepy, uh behind you. Yeah, it sounds exactly like someone's behind you, running up right behind you. And it's like, I can reproduce this in my house every time, from the basement going back upstairs.
Speaker 2: Now, have you considered having a paranormal investigation group come over and check out your.
Speaker 1: My daughter Maddie wants me to. Yeah. No, Maddie's pretty pretty sure there's a demon down here, but I'm pretty sure it's me, So.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would agree. So we've got Geiger calenders, you might say Giger calendas here. I don't know much about how these are used, and I've never worked with any uh any groups that have used them, have you?
Speaker 1: We?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: My opinion on Geiger counters is, if you take one into a place and you're getting a lot of readings, get it out. Yeah, but not in the ab sense.
Speaker 1: No, No, that's pretty funny. Yeah, it's a different kind of get out, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, you've now got cancer. So yeah, not a good not a good thing.
Speaker 1: I've worked in a nuclear reactor, you know, with the Navy, and we had to carry those badges that said, you know, if if you've got a certain amount of exposure of the badge would change color, that sort of thing. But I don't personally know of any cases where you know, a radioactive ghost sounds really scooby doo, doesn't it. I mean, yeah, yeah, I just knew, I knew.
Speaker 5: I knew of one group and they said we have a million dollars worth of ghost hunting equipment, and they had one, but they couldn't quite tell me what it was for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just the The bottom line is these ghost hunters that go out and they do it as a as a more of a social type activity, and to be perfectly honest, there's nothing wrong with that because going out and scaring yourself like this is a lot of fun, and it is very social, and it's very exciting, and it's a real bonding experience. It's great. So I don't really want to diss anyone that does this as a fun activity as long as they're not breaking into properties and putting themselves at risk by going places they shouldn't be. But when it comes to equipment, they only want equipment that's going to give a reading. It doesn't matter what kind of reading. They just want a reading, and then they can interpret it how they choose.
Speaker 1: Sure, I was going to mention flashlights because that seems to be a particularly hot item among ghost huners because they're using them to it's almost like a magic gate ball or a way to answer questions because the flashlights will go on and go off based on the questions that they ask. Now, I know what the skeptical explanation is, but do you want to talk about that a little bit?
Speaker 2: Sure? Sure? I mean basically, what it is is they intentionally unscrew sort of the top of the flashlight just to where the flashlight, you know, they'll turn it on and they'll unscrew it it gets right to the point to where it goes off, and then they'll screw it back just a little bit, and then they'll set it on the floor and ask questions of it. And often when the right question has been asked and the ghost has an answer, or if enough time has passed and the flashlight is heated up sufficiently to expand the metal the flashlight will turn off, and that's their answer. They've received an answer for the ghost now and they can continue to ask more questions and again. When the ghost knows the answer to one of these questions, or sufficient time has passed that the metal is cooled back down, the flashlight will turn back on, and it's it's it could be either explanation, and I'll leave it, leave it up to the listener.
Speaker 1: But basically, it's it's either the ghost is turning it on and off or the physics of Earth is turning it.
Speaker 5: On basically, and they're interpreting it subjective subjectively anyway.
Speaker 1: A matter you know, should I take all my ghost hunting clothes off? That really is important what questions you ask? Because being social?
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I think a lot of people have used it for dating over the years too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you know those little badges that Blake was just talking about about the radioactive kind of sensitivity up. A lot of ghost unders wear a badge that can tell when they've got herpes. So what that's a very handy.
Speaker 1: Hey, I did mention that I was working with the Navy when I said I was in a nuclear reactor, right, because if I left that piece. I was like, why was he working in? Yeah, plenty of people work in and around nuclear reactors in the Navy. It's it's fairly common. If you're going to go out to see it.
Speaker 5: Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. So we've still got quite a list to go. What about thermal cameras well.
Speaker 2: The thermal cameras are are a blast. They only only read surface temperature, but they are so misleading that it's a really a good idea if you're going to use a thermal camera, and they're very expensive, although the price has come down considerably over the last few years. They will reflect off of just about any any surface that has enough shininess to it. Now even a wall painted with flat paint is a shiny enough surface to reflect images or temperatures off of these cameras, and so's they could be really hard to interpret what you're seeing. We had had a picture of, you know, that we would show groups when we were educating. We were to show this picture and say, what is this a picture of from a thermal camera? And it looked like a bathtub full of skulls, But actually what it was is it was a picture from a grocery store of the frozen chickens. And the problem is is when ghost Hunters use these, they always tend to see, you know, a bathtub full of skulls, when they should have realized it was just a bunch of frozen chickens. So it is very hard to interpret, and in fact, Jason and Grant even kind of stole a bit of an education from us. I guess you could say we were on an episode of ghost Hunters that's on the season two bonus DVD. They're the bonus episode rather, and it's at the Elkhorn Lodge, and they of course had to bust out the thermal camera and there, against walla walls, clear as day was this ghost, this figure standing and so you know, we're like, whoa wait a minute, And we went over and looked and figured out that it was actually a reflection of some other things hanging on another wall that made it look like there was a person standing there when clearly wasn't a person standing there. And so we broke it all down for him, and they made sure that that was off camera, and then Jason got back on camera goes, oh, wait a minute, I know what this is, and he explains the whole thing, and it's like, uh huh, we're.
Speaker 5: Just the skepticism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Because they were really good that they thrown a little bit of skepticism. It made them seem that much more real in everything they were doing.
Speaker 5: The Elkhorn Lodge and this time it's the lodge and not the Inn. There's a little interesting sideline story to that in connection to the Stanley Hotel. Can you just mention that in passing?
Speaker 2: Sure? Now? The Stanley Hotel is known for all of its scary stories, and a lot of these scary stories originated with a book that was written about the scary stories, and it came out, oh at this point, probably fifteen twenty years ago, and it's the Ghosts of the Stanley Hotel, I believe. Now. The problem is, when the author started writing the book, she was having a hard time finding enough ghost stories because there really weren't very many, not certainly not enough to write a book about. So down the road the Elkhorn Lodge had a ton of ghost stories and they were really rich, beautiful stories, and she went down there to talk to them, and lo and behold, the owner was selling the book or the Elkhorn Lodge, and she says, can we have your ghost stories? And the guys like you, I don't care. I'm selling the place. She's gonna have all of them. So a whole bunch of the ghost stories for the Stanley Hotel actually were transported from the Elkhorn Lodge.
Speaker 1: Wow. Interesting they checked out of the Elkhorn into the Stanley.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, and it's still there.
Speaker 1: I've never stayed at the Elcorn. I have been at the Stanley and it's pricey.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: Oh what is it about four a night or something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going up. Yeah, yeah, you remind me also of that. There's I've watched a lot of documentaries where they use these things inappropriately, where they're like, well, how can you explain this? They walk into a room and there's an image on the wall. Yet if you watch the way they cut the episodes, clearly someone was leaning up against the wall previously, you know, and like you can literally sort of see that that those are really tricky. They use them in ghost hunting videos. They also use some you know, bigfoot hunting videos and we don't know what this animal is. And I think it's important to understand that unless you've been trained in how to interpret thermal imagery. It's probably not safe to assume that just because you recognize the shape that you know what's actually there.
Speaker 2: It well, exactly exactly, and that's that's really a difficult thing. But yeah, they'll have someone you know, sitting in a chair and then you know they'll miss it. You know, they'll walk into the room and ooh, the chairs. You know, a ghost was obviously sitting there. And that's a confusing thing because ghosts are supposed to leave cold spots, so why would it be leaving a hotspot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little bit of inconsistency there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we didn't speaking of cold spots. We found that would be a very interesting sort of phenomena because you know, the theory is that the ghost comes into the environment and tries to draw the heat out of the room to use as energy to be able to manifest. And you know, the thing is is, so many of us that look back on our high school science class know that anytime there's a transfer of energy, the byproduct is heat, not cold. So it would be like putting your hand on the back of the refrigerator. It takes a lot of energy to make the inside of that refrigerator cold, So it doesn't make sense that it's going to be able to draw the heat out of the air and create cold like that.
Speaker 1: Part of my training in the Navy was in air conditioning, so the principle we always learned was you can't add cold, you can only remove heat, right, Like, Yeah, that's basically what you can do because heats. If you think about heat's motion and the cold is the lack of motion. Although I think it's such a common theory, there's probably some physics there you could do the math on where you would say, what you're trying to say is you're going to turn the ambient heat of the room into work to make something happen, right, And how much ambient heat would you have to burn through to get enough work to move say a button being pressed. You know, that's a force measurement. There's a lot of things going on there. I think there's it would probably be a really fun thing to put together some of the math on that and say, here's how much the temperature would need to drop to turn this much heat into energy to make or into work to make these things. You know, these phenomena happen. I don't think that's enough. I don't think there's enough.
Speaker 2: No, no, no. And that's the thing is, if there's that much transference going on, you know, it's it's not like the ghost is a refrigeration unit. So I just don't know how well any of that would work. But hey, we're talking about other worldly physics here. It doesn't have to follow our suppose.
Speaker 1: Although you measure it with our worldly measuring tools like the digital thermometers to you know, or I feel a cold spot, you.
Speaker 2: Know, what are the theory works well, right, And with those thermal cameras, that's one of the big things is they try to measure a ghost in the middle of the room, and we're looking at something that doesn't measure It only measures surface temperature. And if ghost doesn't have a surface, it can't measure it. It can only measure what's behind it. Same thing with those those non contact thermometers. You know, we tried all kinds of experiments to see if we could get it to read something in the middle of the room like a mist or even like dry ice, smoke, you know, or you know, mister or fog or whatever, and could not get it to read anything but the wall behind it.
Speaker 1: So there's no way that those How can science explain this?
Speaker 2: There is another word for a cold spot that might make it more clear. It's called a draft, like a like a beer. Well, if you're like any other good, red blooded American and you like them cold.
Speaker 5: Then yes, that doesn't drink by the way.
Speaker 1: Temperature British lagger. Crap.
Speaker 5: We've still got some more devices to go. And the the ovulous or ovolous, which you always joke sounds like the name of a birth control device.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it totally does. That was created by Bill Chapman or Chapel, Chapmin Chapel, and uh, well we'll correct that in post.
Speaker 1: He Uh it's Bill Chapel exactly.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Uh and uh, I'm trying to remember because he made a whole bunch of little devices that are absurd and and it's interesting because you know he will even say these are for entertainment purposes only, but only listens to that. Well, he's careful, he's careful about who he says it to. And also, but uh, the theous, I'm trying to remember. I believe that was the one that would spit out random words and uh, and and it's interesting because I was at the at the Robert Merch Talking Board Society Museum and there was a woman there walking around with her birth control ovulus, and I have to say, I was working, nobody was hitting on her. She was just astonished every time that thing would spit out a word, and it has a small dictionary of words in it, and it just randomly will choose a word and spit it out at a random time.
Speaker 5: And see her and you didn't point her out to me.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, she wasn't around anytime that I was with you, because she was downstairs when I was trying to interview Robert, and that was the only time I saw her.
Speaker 1: So the device, you walk around with it and it randomly spits out words, so it's like it's like a digital Tourette's device exactly.
Speaker 2: That's a great description of it. So it's why was she assuming.
Speaker 5: That his place was haunted? I guess because in all the talking.
Speaker 2: Boards, all the talking boards, I mean, how could it not be haunted. Those things are scary.
Speaker 5: So yeah, the Bobby one in particular.
Speaker 2: The Barbie one in particular, definitely. But the thing is is that we give so much meaning to all of these devices that it's almost impossible to remove that that meaning. You know, if you're a believer, you can't you can't back up from that. You've already given it that meaning, and no one can talk you out of it either. So it's it's not to say that you're wrong if you believe it, but I will say that if you do believe that the words coming out of this device, you know, just for an example, if you believe that these are these words have meaning meaning, me telling you that they don't have meaning is you know, who the hell am I to say that? So it's not a very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be demeaning exactly.
Speaker 5: So I guess that's a lot like people who you know, make meaning from from things that they encounter. For example, they've just broken up with someone and they switch on the radio and there's some kind of ballad or song that just has special meaning for them at that time, or.
Speaker 1: Specifically talking about when a man loves a woman has played in the waffle house that I think Kathleen broke up with me. Yeah, maybe Karen.
Speaker 5: All those times were a person's looking for an answer to a question that they have and they just switch on the radio or you know, basically somehow words or a song or a thought come to them and they construe that as having a psychic significance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, absolutely, absolutely. And the thing is is, and a lot of times that's great if you feel a significance, you know, and a connection with that that it gave that moment meaning to you. Often that can be a very wonderful thing that no one should ever take away from you. But someone should take that away from Blake.
Speaker 1: I will. Yeah, today's is my nineteenth wedding anniversary. And I still remember being dumped by this lady upstairs. But no, I.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Can't count her taste, but it all worked out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. That's true. Well, the thing is is you've got meaning being given to so much like this woman believing that because all these talking boards were in this one location, the place was going to be haunted. We have Cheeseman Park here in Denver, and because of the fact that there are still bodies from when it used to be a cemetery there in the park, that park must be haunted. Now, we got to actually be part of the forensics team to exam and several bodies that were exhumed from Cheeseman Park. And it was a very interesting thing because when they talked about the Evil Undertaker who dismembered so many of the bodies as he was removing them, and a lot of the you know, the parts are still there. We actually got to put these skeletons back together, uh you know, and they hadn't been complete in you know, well over a century. So it was kind of an interesting thing. So if this evil Undertaker was going throughout this trouble of dismembering them, I guess we got to remember them.
Speaker 1: Hey, nice, would you say that that place was flushed with ghosts because so many were interred?
Speaker 2: No, I would not say that, absolutely would not. But the.
Speaker 5: We could do an entire episode on park and we.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was an amazing experience. And I have to say that the the City Corner did not like my remembering joke. I can say that for sure, but I thought it was funny. But no, we should talk about this again because then I can tell the horrible horror movie moment that I had there where I turned as white as a sheet when I saw something that I was not expecting to see. But we can say that for another time.
Speaker 1: Cheeseman's also relevant to the Changeley movie, right, Yes, so very much. I would love to talk about that in more.
Speaker 5: I think doing an episode on that and one on the Stanley Hotel would be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we've all been to the Stanley that that would be a really fun one, and I'm always willing to go back. I really like that place, not because the ghosts, I just I just like it. Any place where the parking lot's full of elk I think I'm in, so.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool. It is pretty cool.
Speaker 5: But yeah, there's a mini pit cemetery.
Speaker 2: There, Yeah, the mini pet cemetery. But Karen and I had a great time as there were all kinds of amateur ghost hunters running around in their pajamas and pink bunny slippers all the.
Speaker 5: Like groupies following ghost hunting groups around.
Speaker 1: Anybody dresses dogs maybe giving never mind time when we're talking about technology, I want to I'm gonna hop over to when that. I don't think people will expect to hear. But it's just I love this idea that the clocks are frequently a ghost hunting tool that most people don't really think about. Which people think that certain hours of the night are are particularly prone to ghosts. Some people think midnight, some people creat yeah, yep. But the crazy thing to me is, and I say crazy, that's not really nice, But it's how did ghosts know what time zone they're in? And you know, the idea of like that a clock or just the whole idea of like this sort of artificially created structure around time has any bearing on what a ghost might experience or feels.
Speaker 5: Is it meant to be? Because I'm thinking that you can tell us about Reed's haunted clock, but I'm wondering if it is at the time of day that the individual died.
Speaker 2: Well, and that that's that like with the Amityville horror that was the story, three three fifteen was the time. But they also say that three three am is very significant significant. So if you know, you suddenly get this message, you know, from your dead aunt or something at three o'clock, it's it's it's because three am is mocking the Trinity. So you know, your aunt Martha is my the Trinity. It's it's a very strange theory, and I don't I don't quite get it. I mean, it's it's obviously saying that there's a demonic entity if you're having activity at three am. But then you, like I said, you've got the other things where it's the time of death. Uh, and then depending on it's all depending on interpretation and depending on what's happening. If nothing happens at three am and nothing happens at three fifteen or time of death, then that's because when you're dead, time is not linear. So suddenly you can use that excuse. So it's whatever suits your bias.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I just how to the ghost deal with daylight saving time? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It really protests. Yeah, a lot of them really protests, especially like the ranch the ranch hands and stuff. Those guys they do not follow daylight savings. Know how much how much you push it on them, they won't.
Speaker 5: We get that in Queensland in Australia too because it fades the curtains and monstertle.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 5: And I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 1: You just heard an interview with Matthew Baxter, ghost hunter, magician, entertainer, lecturer and husband whom my co host Karen. Thanks to both of them for making time to talk about ghost hunting equipment with us Monster Talks and official podcasts is Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed here are those of myself and my guests and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the very best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org, Forge Slash Support. That's monster talk dot org, fordge support. We have links there to our Patreon page as well as a donation button. Another great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love kindles so we can share our digital libraries with each other. And finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners, and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms.
Speaker 3: Longtime listeners to Skeptoid and also to our colleague podcasts often asked, what can I do? We all believe in the value of critical thinking and of the intellectual tools that help us tell fact from fiction, but we don't always know how to best spread those tools to others. Well, let me offer one easy and effective option. Toyd Media That's us, by the way, is currently in production on a feature documentary titled Science Friction, about how the media abuses its science experts by misquoting them or editing them out of context, exploiting their reputations to promote sensationalized news or fake documentaries promoting debunked alternative histories. Part of our mission as a nonprofit is that we will retain educational rights to give this movie free to teachers worldwide, alongside complete professionally produced educational materials to bring formalized lessons in critical thinking and scientific skepticism directly into classrooms. To retain those rights, we're crowdfunding the initial production. We're just about halfway to our goal right now, which you can see at Sciencefriction dot tv. You want to know what you can do to give the tools to students. This is it. We're asking a basic contribution of If you're on the team, now's the time to take the field and play ball. Please come to Sciencefriction dot tv and make your tax deductible donation to Science Friction. We ask one hundred dollars, but any amount helps. Donate enough you can even become an executive producer and get a legitimate screen credit Sciencefriction dot tv. Watch the promo and see our.
Speaker 1: Stories Monster Talk. The music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 6: Hungry for more skepticism? Want to learn the truth about the scientific controversies of our time, then subscribe to Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen J. Gould called the best journal in the field. To subscribe visit Skeptic dot com today.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just occurred to me, we really haven't had a completely successful test of this equipment. I blamed myself, so do I I have no sense worrying about it now? Why worry Each of us is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back yep, let's get ready, switch me on