Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: K f I and kost HD two Los Angeles and Orange County.
Speaker 3: That proved up your host, Amy Kay.
Speaker 4: It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call.
Speaker 1: For Wednesday, March nineteenth. You know why that day is important, right, I'm gonna tell you in just a second.
Speaker 4: It's kind of a milestone day. Oh oh oh oh.
Speaker 1: This is funny because I was talking to editor Carla earlier and she was like, what is today?
Speaker 4: And I was like, how come you guys don't remember this.
Speaker 1: It's a big thing day, A big thing day, big big day.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio App. Thanks so much for starting your day with us. We got a lot going on, lot planned. Of course, we'll check it in on the Eagles. They're doing well. I was watching the babies yesterday and we're trying to figure out They said they didn't know which eagle didn't make it, because I remember there were three. One of them passed away and I'm thinking, I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it's little Rocky, the third one the hatch is one of the survivors because watching them yesterday, there's one that's definitely bigger and stronger, and there's one that's definitely smaller. And the first two hatch so close together. They were about the same size.
Speaker 4: One of them in the nest he's eaten good, but he's he's.
Speaker 1: Smaller, and I kind of hope it's Rocky, because you remember we said Rocky's a fighter. So anyway, it's so fun to watch them, although I'm I'm very bummed because that storm that ended up kind of killing one of the one of the eglets knocked out the sound and also the infrared because I was used to watching them at night and you can watch Jack feeding them and that kind of stuff. So right now it's just darkness, but that's okay. It'll be light soon enough, daylight saving time. It gets a light early. They need some privacy, yeah, exactly, Okay. Also big yesterday was the astronauts came back, and it was so fun to watch. So I was watching the whole thing as they're coming back in through the atmosphere and then the shoots deploy and this little capsule just floats on down and drops down into just almost these pristine waters in the Gulf of America. And I don't know if you guys watched it, but it was just so cool to watch. And then as they're getting down and they're they're saying, Okay, here's what's going on now, and they're coming down, and now the crew commander is going to let us know where we are at elevation and then you hear Colonel Nick Key go one thousand feet and I'm like, ah, that's our friend, Colonel nickg So that was so fun. And then once it landed, they're bobbing around in the ocean and I'm like, that capsule looks a little bit like a toasted marshmall it was did yeah, Oh, I mean it was scorched after going back in the atmosphere, but I thought and then I thought, it sort of also looks like R two D two Yes, so we had two eyes. Yeah, And then just the most cool thing. All of a sudden, a pot of dolphins shows up and it's frolicking in the water as they're working to get the capsule out of the water. I just thought it was so amazing, And then you think about it, like when they opened the capsule.
Speaker 4: About an hour later. There's a lot of hurry up and wait.
Speaker 1: It seems like I'm like, that's the first fresh air that they've taken in into their lungs for Colonel Haig since September twenty eighth, and for Sonny and Butch who've been stranded up there, it's the first time they've breathed fresh air since June fifth of last year. I can't wait until we get to talk to Colonel Haig again. I just can't imagine that journey. So we're working on it. I know he's been on with us several times at wake up Call, and of course we got to talk to him on the internet space station. That's still up on our website if you want to go see it. It's at KFI AM six forty dot com and just go to the wake up Call page. And we've got Colonel Hag on there, so super excited that they're coming home. Five year anniversary. I'm gonna let you think about it, but I'm gonna tell you before the hour's out it's a big five year anniversary. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. A passenger on board a Delta flight into lax had to be restrained after biting another passenger and hitting others. The man attacked fellow passengers shortly after the flight landed in La yesterday. The guy was restrained taken to a hospital for a sack evaluation. President Trump and Russian President Putin have agreed to a partial ceasefire after talking on the phone for almost two hours yesterday. The Kremlin says Russia has agreed to a thirty day ceasefire on Ukraine's energy infrastructure. We're going to be talking more about that, whether the deal's going to stick, and next steps with ABC's Karen Travers in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers and.
Speaker 1: Cubs facing off again this morning for their second game at the Tokyo Dome in Japan. They won yesterday four to one over the Cubs and looks like they may be headed to a win. I know nothing's done until it's done, but the Dodgers are leading in the top of the seventh six to three. Ooh, is that Matt Munty's up? It's so weird watching baseball at five o'clock in the morning. KTLA's tech Reporder Rich du Muro is going to join us to tell us about a new tool that can be making taking notes by hand absolutely obsolete. And what's old is new when it comes to a smart watch. We're going to tell you which one is coming back. Also, ABC's Jim Ryan is going to join us to tell us what happens next for the astronauts who have returned to Earth. And also the JFK files are out. Is there anything in there? And Amy's on it. I told you there's a lot going on today. I'm going to show that reminds me that people suck and if someone who's had the big CEA, this one really ticks me off. It's a really good watch though, and that's coming up. We'll tell you about that at the bottom of the hour. Let's check in now with ABC's Karen Travers. Karen, the President and Russia's President Putin talked for about two hours yesterday and progress apparently was made in ending the fighting in Ukraine.
Speaker 5: Well sort of, I mean they talked for two and a half hours, but Russia did not agree to the ceasefire that Ukraine had agreed to last week. And this was a seafire that was negotiated with the United States. It was something that the United States and Ukrainian officials met with Ukraine agreed to without conditions. The President was looking to get Russian President Vladimir Putin on board with this yesterday during this phone call, and he did not convince him to do that. Instead, Russia said that they would stop their attacks on Ukrainian energy sites and energy infrastructure, which is a significant step because those attacks have been very devastating to Ukraine, especially in the winter months. But it's not the condition free ceasefire that Ukraine and the United States worked out last week, and that the White House wanted Putin to agree to the first step toward a peace agreement. So, you know, this is a significant deal because now they have to continue conversations. The White House says that they will have meetings with Russian officials over the weekend in Saudi Arabia as part of this ongoing conversation. But Putin seems to be drawing a pretty hard line on this, and in the statement yesterday had said that he wants to see all aid to Ukraine stopped military assistance, security assistance to Ukraine, including the United States and Western countries, and that would be a big deal, you know, if there was nothing going into Ukraine, they would not be able to reload, and while Russia could do that if there wasn't a seafire happening at that moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, But so progress was made, just not as much as they had hoped.
Speaker 5: Well, Ukraine hasn't agreed to this either. That's the other thing. So you know, this is Putin setting new terms for what a ceasefire could look like, not what the United States and Ukraine had worked out. So President Trump was going into this phone call yesterday saying, we with Ukraine looked out a thirty day ceasefire. Ukraine is on board. You guys now need to agree to this. Putin did not agree to this yesterday, and he offered another idea about these energy site attacks stopping, and you know, yes, that would be significant for Russia to stop doing that, but it would also be a big deal of if Ukraine couldn't hit Russian oil refineries because those attacks have had a significant impact for them. Zelensky had said yesterday to one of my colleagues that he is prepared to match Putin's pledge on this in principle, but needs to see the details. And today he said he expects to speak to President Trump. But you know, this is Putin trying to I think, say, look, I'm doing something, but it is not what the White House wanted to see yesterday.
Speaker 4: And is that really surprising? Though?
Speaker 1: I mean, like they go in there, they think they're getting close. But sometimes, I mean, these talks between countries last for months and months. Traditionally it's not like a one time deal.
Speaker 5: But they've been ongoing for weeks. And I think it's notable that last week, again I can't it wasn't up last week, the United States and Ukraine agreed to something. I asked President Trump last week, do you think you need to have the conversation with Putin to get him on board with this? And he said, yes, I'll have that conversation and then we can get the Russians to agree to this. That did not happen yesterday.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, we'll see if they come out with something next time they talk. ABC's Karen Travers, thank you so much for the information.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Trump administration is defending its decision to deport more than two hundred illegal immigrants to El Salvador. ABC's Christian Cordero says a judge wants to know if the administration defied his order without due process.
Speaker 6: The administration claims the two hundred plus to port it to an El Salvadorian prison were part of a Venezuelan gang. Several of the migrants' family members say they were not gang members.
Speaker 1: The administration says the planes carrying the deportees were already out of American airspace when the judge ordered them to turn back. Top justice at the Supreme Court has pushed back against President Trump's calls to impeach the federal judge who ordered those deportation flights stopped.
Speaker 7: Chief Justice Roberts releasing this statement, stating quote, for more than two centuries, it has been established that impeachment is not an appropriate response to disagreement concerning a judicial decision.
Speaker 1: ABC's Rachel Scott says Roberts is of the opinion the normal appellate review process exists for that purpose. Previously classified documents related to the nineteen sixty three assassination of President John F. Kennedy have been released. The documents are posted on the website of the US National Archives and Wreckerson administration. Researchers have estimated that three thousand or so records had not been released before, either in whole or in part. President Trump says his administration would be releasing eighty thousand files. Most major tech companies take a couple of days out of the year to host a conference for tech developers. ABC's Mike Debuski says this week it's in Vidia's turn.
Speaker 8: In Nvidia's GtC conference this year is a good place to get a glimpse of where artificial intelligence technology is likely to go. Next to that point, in Nvidia is announcing an expanded partnership with carmaker General Motors.
Speaker 1: GM shut down its own autonomous vehicle division crews last year. Frontier Airlines is flying checked bags for free for a while. The promotion follows Southwest airlines decision to end free checked bags that kicks in in May. Frontier says it's working to attract customers who may be on the rebound after breaking up with Southwest. Southwest had offered free bags for more than fifty years. To qualify for Frontiers promotion, passengers need to book a NonStop flight that departs between May twenty eighth and August eighteenth. After that, bags again, fees again. Who knows, but they think it's a good move because people are going to be mad at Southwest Yep. Hey, here's something that you should not be mad about. We're about to wiggle Waggle. The Wiggle Waggle Walk is coming up. It's the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane. It's happening on Sunday, April sixth at Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 4: And guess what. KFI has a team.
Speaker 1: We're called the Wake Up Call Wigglers, and we would love for you to join the team. Several people have already and we want to let's get more people. So get your dog, come out and walk with us. Will's going to be there unless something else keeps him away. Did you find out you might be out of town a more? Okay, Well, if you're not there in person, you'll be there in spirit.
Speaker 4: Producer AND's gonna be there.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be there and would love for you to come and walk with us again Sunday, April sixth. The event opens at eight. The walk and run starts at nine. It's a fabulous way to start your day. And here's something even more fabulous. All the money we raise goes to Pasadena Humane. They have been helping thousands of animals. They do foster care, they have a kitten nursery and animal I see you. They help wildlife and of course this year the need is even greater because they've taken in more than a thousand animals after the Alzadena Fires. They're still boarding some of them, giving them temporary homes until they can get back into their homes with their families. But we love working with Pasadena Humane. They do such great works to get animals into their forever homes. That's where I got my Alexander, Alexander the Great I call him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane Sunday, April six. Please join our team or if you can't make it that day, you can donate see will. If you can't show up, you can still donate. Kfi AM six forty dot com. Slash wiggle is the site to go to. Super easy to register and we're less than three weeks away. Would love to have you join us the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane when we come back. Oh, don't forget I got to tell you about what the five year anniversaries.
Speaker 4: Have you figured it out yet?
Speaker 8: Have you?
Speaker 1: Have you?
Speaker 4: Is it you specifically or is it all of us? No, it's all of us. Okay.
Speaker 1: Jfk assassination files have been released. The National Archives uploaded them yesterday at the direction of President Trump, who said Americans have been asking for this for a long time. Historians say they don't believe the eighty thousand pages will contain any bombshells.
Speaker 4: That's disappointing.
Speaker 1: A man's been stabbed at the Universal's studio City Metro station. Police say the guy was stabbed last night around eight fifteen. He was taken to the hospital. Witnesses say they saw the stabber running away from the area. Police haven't made any arrests. Marina del Rey in Long Beach could be in big trouble if there's a tsunami. Maps from the California Geological Survey show flooding in the beach cities of up to fifteen feet is possible. Experts say if there's a tsunami caused by an offshore earthquake, residence would have only about ten minutes to get to safety on higher ground.
Speaker 4: Yikes, that's not a very long time.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech on KFI. It's KTLA's tech reporter Rich Demiro.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Rich, Hey, good morning to you.
Speaker 8: Amy.
Speaker 4: Okay, so what's.
Speaker 1: Old is new and the old Pebbles smart watch is gone and a new one's coming out.
Speaker 9: Yeah. And the interesting thing about these smart watches is that the one of the models is actually using the old hardware. So apparently this is leftover hardware from before. But the guy who created it said, you know what, these things were so good even ten years ago. It's still just what we need. And so his whole thing has been, let's bring back a simple smart watch that has an e ink display. If you remember the original, it was like one of the original kickstarters. It did really well, and now he's bringing them back. So later this year, we're going to have the core To duo launching in July for one hundred and fifty bucks, and then the core Time two launching for two hundred and twenty five dollars. That's going to be a Pebble but with a touch screen. And of course the main thing about these watches is they have super long battery life thirty days, and they're going to be less distracting.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, my Apple Watch literally is dead by about eight o'clock at night.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, I mean the Apple Watch is last. I mean they're rated for eighteen hours, but that's not very realistic for most people. But yeah, so thirty days you have to charge it.
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 7: Nice?
Speaker 1: And does it have a lot of the same features or is it pretty much like does it hook to your phone and you can take phone calls on it?
Speaker 4: Or I'm not familiar with the Pebble watch.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so the new one, one of them will so you can get notifications on these. It sort of depends if you're on Android or iPhone, but the whole point is more like just a companion where you can glance at your wrist see your notifications. The higher end one is going to have more modern features. The basic one is going to be pretty simple. But the thing they're doing here is they're open sourcing the software, which means pretty much developers can do whatever they want and make these things do whatever they can imagine. As opposed to the Apple Watch, where you're very much which can find and even the Google watches out there, you're confined to what Apple and Google allow you to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Pebble smart watch hitting the market again when later this year.
Speaker 9: Later this year July or December, and yeah, should be interesting. And then they'll have some of like the sleep and step tracking stuff on them as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, this sounds I got to go check this out, and you did go check this out.
Speaker 4: It's a convenience store run by robots.
Speaker 9: Yes, lots of comments about this one on our YouTube page at ktla ven hub. It's called and it's a fully automated twenty four to seven convenience store run by robots. So there's two robots inside that basically grab your order and place it in a little kind of area for you to collect and so use the app to purchase the products. And it's very simple. It's kind of like a seven to eleven, but it looks like a shipping container with a clear glass screen in front, so you could our window in front so you can see everything inside. And it's just kind of fun. And they're expecting a lot of these around the not only the nation, but the world. They've got companies said they have eight hundred pre orders. So North Hollywood, you can already go there. It's on Van Owen. If you know where the Salsasm beer is, that's where it is. And then southern California, Las Vegas, the East coast. And the guy who created this for former Amazon guy says that the whole point is that lower overhead open twenty four to seven, no employees to worry about, and you can run these things from the beach once they're set up and going.
Speaker 1: So from the way you describe it, it sounds as like it's a big vending machine on steroids.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's the best way to describe it. I think it's a vending machine, except for the stuff coming out by itself. A robot arm picks it and then puts it on the table, and then the door opens up and you take it out.
Speaker 4: Very cool. Okay.
Speaker 9: By the way, of course, it's instagrammable, so it's fun for like people to watch this process as well.
Speaker 4: Exactly. Okay.
Speaker 1: You say that there are some new tools out there that may make note taking by hand obsolete forever, and.
Speaker 9: Yes, and I've been testing a whole bunch of them, and I really rely on a lot of these. This voice to tech stuff and transcription has come a long way, especially since AI, because now not only can it transcribe, but it sort of understands what you're saying, so it gets it. The accuracy is a lot better and the speed is a lot better. So if you've got a Google Pixel, you've got an iPhone or a Samsung with the latest software, all of those do free transcription. Pixel does it in real time, the other two do it after the fact. If you don't have one of those phones, otter Ai is a great app which is cross platform. Get a couple of free minutes every month, and then it'll transcribe your meetings, so all that good stuff. Then I've been testing some AI powered digital recorders from a company called PLoud Plaud, and these things are really cool. Remember the little micro cassette recorders we had while I had as a kid, Remember that like radio shack. So this is like a digital version of that, but it connects to your phone so you can record for hours on end. It will transcribe everything, summarize it. And then they've got a pin version so you can literally just clip this to your shirt or wrist and record your whole day and then just have AI summarize every single thing that you heard.
Speaker 1: I mean which is probably a person like me who has a really bad memory. It might be a good thing.
Speaker 9: Well, that's what they're pitching these as is like a limitless memory. So there's a bunch of competitors in this space. It's continuing to grow, and yeah, that it's being pitched. It's like, just don't forget a thing like you can just why when you have AI and the ability to record and it's so cheap, just remember everything. Which I'm gonna go to lunch to day with a friend, I'm going to record the whole thing and I'll put it in this notes. I'll be like, all right, remember about this, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's a question. Do you have to tell people they're being recorded?
Speaker 9: That's a very good question. I mean, I think obviously if you're on the phone, yes, because these things can record phone calls as well in person, I think that you would have to tell people that you are recording. So that's I think that there's also sort of like common sense and courtesy that comes in here. You know, if you're trying to be an farious you know you can do that. But you can already do that, so yeah, okay. Anyway, for computer users, there's a whole bunch of apps that you can do this completely free. If you want to transcribe. It used to cost a lot of money. It's all free. And then I've got a great AI voice typing. This is incredible. It's my secret weapon. It's how I send my emails to you. Actually, Amy, It's called whisper Flow and you just dictate and I'm not kidding. It polishes up your words. It is so incredibly fast. I can get through my emails so quick. And by the way, this is all linked up on my website richon Tech dot TV.
Speaker 1: Okay, and if you want to see some of these transcription tools, that's what you're talking about on KTLA today.
Speaker 9: Right heading over there, right now, okay, and go show some of these things.
Speaker 1: All right, And as you mentioned on his website, rich on Tech dot TV, you can follow Rich on Instagram at rich on Tech and of course you can hear him every weekend right here on KFI. It's Rich on Tech Saturdays from eleven to two. Thanks you so much, Rich Demiro.
Speaker 9: All right, thanks Amy.
Speaker 4: In Vegas and.
Speaker 1: San Diego are investigating separate cases of Tesla's being vandalized. Several vehicles were set on fire yesterday at a service center in Las Vegas, and on Monday we told you about this one. Police found vandals had spray painted profanity on a building at a Tesla dealership and swastikas on cars. Tesla's have been targeted in several cases across the country because of Elon Musk's work with President Trump and Doge. Orange County Sheriff's deputies are looking for the guy who stabbed a deputy in San Clementi. The female deputy was on patrol with a partner yesterday when she was attacked near Avenita Pico and Calai di Los Molinos. The Sheriff's department says the guy who did it is white, in his mid thirties, about five foot ten, one hundred and sixty pounds. He has brown hair, blue eyes, and a beard. He was last seen running toward a storm drain. The deputy was taken to the hospital. Students at two nearby schools had to shelter in place during the police search. The family of a man killed by la IPD officers has received a multimillion dollar settlement.
Speaker 2: The city approved the settlement of up to eight million dollars for the family of Margarito Lopez Junior. He was shot and killed by LAPED officers more than three years ago. His sister had called nine to one one worried that Lopez would hurt himself as he was going through a mental health episode. When officers arrived, Lopez had a butcher knife that he refused to put down. Police say he came towards them. The family disputes that Lopez was shot and died. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The LA City Council has asked for a report on whether it should stop making a new budget every year and start doing it every two years. Councilwoman at Unices Hernandez says the one year budget limits long range infrastructure investments in planning.
Speaker 10: Los Angeles is a world class city, but our ability to remain one depends on how effectively we can do more with less, not just in terms of funding, but also within an arbitrary one year budget cycle that literally undermines our capacity to plan for the future.
Speaker 1: Cities run into financial trouble this fiscal year, with lower than expected revel news and higher than expected legal bills. The city Controller has consistently referred to La as broke Azusa Pacific University is getting ready for some football again. The football program was scratched in twenty twenty. APU said it was because of a decline in football in the state, but the football program is coming back and will join the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. The university is hoping to have its football program up and running again by next fall. Astronauts Sonny Williams and Butch Wilmore have finally returned to Earth. They splashed down along with Space Force Colonel Nick Haig and a Russian cosmonaut in the Gulf of America yesterday. Butch and Sunny were supposed to only be on the space station for a week, but because of problems with the Boeing Star Starliner, they ended up in space for nine months. The family of a man who died after riding the X two roller coaster at six Flags Magic Mountain is suing. The family claims the twenty two year old from Garden Grove suffered a deadly brain injury after the roller coaster suddenly, abruptly and violently jolted to a halt near the end of the ride in twenty twenty two. The Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony for gal Gadott has been interrupted by protesters Godote Gadat Israeli. Dozens of pro Palestinian and pro Israeli demonstrators clashed near her star, which delayed the ceremony for about fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, amis on it, Damie's on it. Aami's on it, Damie's on it. What am I on? I'm on the stream.
Speaker 1: So many TV shows and documentaries and movies to watch? How do you know which ones to watch?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: I was talking to Shannon Farrin about Devil in the Family, which we talked about last week, and I was like, have you watched it? Oh my gosh, and Ruby Frankie as she's just crazy and such an interesting show, and she said you got to watch Scamanda. She said it made her sick, and not knowing anything about it, I dove in went cool. So it's a docuseries about a woman who was incredibly charming and charismatic and filled with her faith. She was a new stepmom, a mom, a cancer patient, and, as it turns out, a scammer. I remember this story because it happened in Northern California. Now we're hearing the story behind the story. It's a documentary about Amanda Riley, who said she had cancer. She blogged about it, she got everyone on her side. She raised thousands and thousands of dollars from sympathetic supporters who gave their money so she could get better. But guess what, there was no cancer. It was all a scam. So this is a story about the elaborate web of lives, a web of lies, and the lives she affected. She devastated along the way by telling this lie and then not only telling the lie, but doubling down on it. I mean, it's just fascinating. You're like, how could somebody do that? Not only you know, I mean everybody tells a little white lie, but this one was so intricate and so detailed. It's just it's just beyond really like you're just amazed that somebody could do that, and you go, how could a person do that? And then that's what I said earlier. It makes you reminds you that, you know, some people just suck. So it's an interesting look into an incredibly twisted mind. Under it all, Amanda looked beautiful and friendly and vivacious and sweet, but she was devious and deceitful, and when you watch the video, you're gonna see she was kind of cruel too.
Speaker 4: I'm on it.
Speaker 1: And while it's disturbing that people can do these kinds of things, I think you're gonna really enjoy this show. It's only four episodes, I think, so it's a quick watch. It's called Command, It's on Hulu. I highly recommend it. And then maybe next week I'm going to have something happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, because we need something that makes us feel good again. These documentaries are interesting, but they can be a little bit depressing. Okay, it's time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahogue.
Speaker 4: Morning Courtney, good morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, So tell us how secondhand is starting to be the new first choice for shoppers.
Speaker 11: Yes, people are spending more on use clothes and accessories all around the world.
Speaker 12: The stigma that.
Speaker 11: We had a long time ago of ah, I'm not going to buy used clothes, that's changing. So, according to a report that we got from resale marketplace thread up, consumer shelled out two hundred and twenty seven billion dollars last year on resale apparels.
Speaker 12: So thread up says.
Speaker 11: The trend's likely going to continue. Thanks to tariffs, it's going to make it more expensive to buy new clothes, so hey, I'm going to look for some.
Speaker 12: Cheaper older clothes.
Speaker 11: The changing attitudes I was just talking about about wearing used items and the growing number of places in websites that you can go out there and buy those preloved goods.
Speaker 12: I love a good secondhand deal.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what I was gonna ask you about.
Speaker 1: I mean, is it going to a Goodwill, Salvation army out of the closet, those kind of reseller, or is it going onto the online sellers that's really taking off.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's all over the place.
Speaker 11: But what we're seeing is a growth in those kind of companies. And not only are we heading over to Goodwill and buying more from them, but a Threatup, for example, has grown its business. We're seeing more websites and even cooler. A lot of brands are saying, all right, we're not missing out on this, especially high end luxury brands where it bags for example. They want to be able to get in on the whole act themselves and be able to control the market and sell their resale bags or sell the bags that people are wanting to sell themselves.
Speaker 4: And you can get some good deals.
Speaker 1: I know that my friend Luisa was I was talking about needing a new person. She's like, let's go on the real reel and she started hook you know, looking around that you can find some you know, designer bags that I would never pay that you know, retail price for that you can get a decent deal on so okay.
Speaker 11: And a lot of friends of mine have been jumping on poshmark, for example, eBay two and other places like that, so they can just sell their items directly to different shoppers.
Speaker 12: So it's a it's a whole it's a whole.
Speaker 11: Game changer, especially within the whole entire retail segment, and now especially true when it comes to tariffs.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the Fed's meeting again today and they have they'll make it a decision which is probably going to be a no decision on interest rates.
Speaker 11: They're likely to hold interest rate study this afternoon, so this is going to buy them a little bit of time and assessing how President Trump's terrif actions are going to impact the economy, because it hasn't really been put fully into place, so nobody really knows what's going to happen. We can only we can only guess at this point, and same for the Federal Reserve, they can only guess too, So traders are not making any real big moves ahead of that. Right now, Dow futures are little changed. SMP futures are up to tens of a percent. That's a pretty modest move. But yesterday it was a different story. We did have a down day for stocks. It was hit by heavy selling from some of the biggest tech companies. The Dow fell two hundred and sixty points. But one stock on our radar that I'm watching today is Cheerio's maker General Mills. They say a snacking slowdown is happening right now, so they cut their financial outlook for the year.
Speaker 1: It's those darn gops. Yeah, the weight loss drugs.
Speaker 11: Okay, they say it's going to sales is expected to fall as much as two percent this year.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: And then before I let you go, gold it might be a good thing for you to have right now, or maybe it's too expensive to buy now.
Speaker 11: It probably is because we're at records every single day when it comes to gold, taking a look at it. Right now, we're over three thousand dollars. And every single time we see all this volatility within the markets, gold just makes that move. People look at it as a haven, so they that they run away from risk your assets, stocks, crypto, and we've been talking about those stocks, get those things getting hammered for some time.
Speaker 12: So now we're seeing a lot of people piling into gold.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Courtney. We'll talk to you tomorrow morning.
Speaker 12: We'll see you later.
Speaker 1: Okay, every day at five point forty on wake up call, we get in your business. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A homeless man has been arrested for allegedly stealing a police cruiser while officers were doing a traffic stop in Alhambra. Pillise say the guy snuck up on them near Atlantic Boulevard and Glendon Way early yesterday, got into the patrol vehicle and took off onto the ten Freeway. There was a short chase before the guy got onto surface streets, jumped out of the car and tried to run away. The California Association of Realtors's home prices in La are up slightly for February compared to the previous month, and they're higher than they were a year ago. The median price of an existing single family home in the La Metro area last month was eight hundred and twenty fourth thousand dollars. My goodness, that's a point six percent increase from January. The association says February's average was four point four percent higher than a year ago.
Speaker 4: Shunja Manabudha contacts President on trumpem.
Speaker 1: Ukrainian President Zelenski says he plans to speak with President Trump today to hear more about Trump's call with Russian President Putin. Zelenski says he and Trump will discuss the details of the next steps towards a cease fire in Ukraine. Zelenski says Putin's agreement yesterday to stop hitting energy infrastructure was very much at odds with reality following a series of drone attacks across Ukraine.
Speaker 4: Now is not the time.
Speaker 1: That's what former candidate for La Mayor says about efforts to recall La Mayor. Bass developer Rick Caruso says recalling Bass is not a good idea. He says the city needs to focus now on helping communities recover from the wildfires. He says a recall effort is just a costly political distraction and economic analo is out of UCLA says the Trump administration's economic policies could lead to a recession. The study says the policies could lead to a slowdown in manufacturing, reductions in the workforce because of immigration policy, and cuts in federal government employee employment. UCLA says there are no signs of a recession yet, but it is possible.
Speaker 4: Frontier Airline says.
Speaker 1: Bags will fly free on flights for a while anyway. The new policy in response to Southwest ending it's more than fifty year old free bag policy. Frontier says they're hoping to get rebound flyers upset with Southwest. Free checked bags will be offered on non stuff flights between May twenty eighth and August eighteen. We're just minutes away from Handle on the News this morning, but it's now Merrill in foro Handle on the News. Chris Merril filling in lots of great stuff to cover this morning. Speaking of great stuff, let's talk to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 3: Oh goy Khotos was playing the white was playing Sympathy for the Devil going.
Speaker 4: Into you know why why I didn't get that connection.
Speaker 3: The lyric deep deep into the song is who killed the Kennedys After all? It was you and me? That's the that's the lyric deep into the song.
Speaker 4: Okay, I did not know that.
Speaker 1: See that Kno, He's sneaky sometime is off of the weeds.
Speaker 4: The JFK files are out.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about that, and then I really want to talk about the astronauts, because that's that's great. So let's talk about the JFK files. Though they're posted online or at least some of them, are they all up or some of them?
Speaker 3: It's they're working on it. I mean, on Monday, President Trump kind of caught his own National Security and Archives off guard when he said, hey, tomorrow, we're going to release all these documents. They were looking at each other saying, what, okay, let's get to work, and they ran off and they started figuring out what to release, what not to release, and what to hold on to, what to leave the black felt tip marks in, and then posting it all on the National Archives and Record Administration website. So as of last night, about twenty one hundred eighty two PDFs containing sixty three four hundred pages were uploaded to that website and still about seventeen thousand left to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, So were they already digital or did they have to like scan them and upload them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was part of it, was making sure it was digitizing these things. You know, some some Dallas cops handwritten notes, scribbled in pencil and stuffed into his pocket and then later turned over to the boss and then going into a file and ending up in the archive that had to be digitized. And by the way, you probably can't read it anyway, I mean the day after you probably couldn't have read it. But it's there along with all the rest of.
Speaker 1: This stuff, okay, And I would imagine people at ABC are digging through that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I have we found anything.
Speaker 3: Yet, nothing really shocking, But you're right, they had a team. I looked down the list and it was about twenty people who were pouring over this stuff for ABC and looking at all these pages and pages, but nothing really shocking. It does tell something, though, about the intelligence gathering of the mid twentieth century by the CIA and the FBI and how they were keeping tabs on doctor Martin Luther King. These documents relate not only did the Kennedy assassination, but also the assassination of Kennedy's brother Bobby and the reverend doctor Martin Luther King. And so we also learned about the contacts. I suppose this might have been known already, but how the CIA had had phone taps on the Russian embassy in Mexico City, and that's how they were to keep tabs on Lee Harvey Oswald. See I had been watching him for about four years before the assassination.
Speaker 4: Watching him for four years, and he still pulled it off. Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Okay, all right, Well, maybe we'll talk again about this after everybody's really had a chance to go through them, because I would imagine this as a very tedious process just to sit and read eighty thousand pages.
Speaker 3: No ah, okay, and strain on the eyes too, because I'd like say, a lot of it just isn't legible.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on now, because our astronauts Sunny Williams Butch willmore safely return to Earth after nine months in space with SpaceX with a fabulous SpaceX splashed down yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really dramatic. You know, they dropped down under parachutes, landed in the gulf just off Tallahassee, Florida. Some dolphins were swimming around chests.
Speaker 1: That the coolest thing, the pot of dolphins. They're sitting there waiting for the ship to come pick them up, and all of a sudden and there's a whole pot of them and they're just kind of swimming around like, hey, welcome.
Speaker 3: Back to curious There were curious creatures. And so they're swimming around the crew dragon and the parachutes and see what's going on. And then you know, here come the rescue boats and the folks to pick up the astronauts. So, yeah, they climbed aboard. They were taking off. They've been in space nine months without gravity, the benefit of gravity, despite two hours a day of exercise up there. They're sixty years old, these two Sonny Williams and Butch Wilmore, and so yeah, they were smiling and waving and happy and all that. But boy, you can only imagine that suddenly feeling the pull of gravity on your body is gonna it's gonna take a toll. But so they're gonna spend the ride back at Houston last night, and they'll be over at Johnson's Space Center and start their rehab first of all, getting their bodies back in shape. They'll be debrief they're gonna be in quarantine for some time because they haven't been exposed to the measles outbreak that suddenly has taken hold.
Speaker 4: And it's in Texas or anything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, it's a long process. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was interesting seeing Sonny too when they when they brought each of the astronauts out. Of course, our friend Colonel Nickaig was the first one out. Gave us the thumbs thumbs up in a way, he's been up there for almost six months.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Sonny came out and they transferred her over onto like a gurney to which is completely normal that they do that. Yes, and you could tell she was shaky when she tried to stand up.
Speaker 3: Oh you can only imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we were talking about Anna and I were talking about how even like standing up from a chair because of gravity, there's that muscle resistance that they just haven't had for so long. I mean, and even working out, like you said, for two hours a day, their muscles have to be just toast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure. And for their whole nine months in space, these astronauts, you know, they've been doing experiments up there and tinkering around with university projects and maintaining the space station by the way, doing a couple of space walks, but also their own bodies have been a part of the experiment down here on Earth. NASA and others have been monitoring their vital signs and keeping tabs on their sleep and checking them out. So while they're doing experiments, they also are a part of the experiment in the furtherance of space travel.
Speaker 1: So exciting, and as I mentioned, we're working to get Colonel hagg back on the show. He's been one with us, you know, a half dozen times as he was getting ready for the space station trip, and then we got to talk to him on the space station. So now that he's back and hoping that we get the opportunity to talk to him again. What an amazing journey. Jim Ryan, ABC, thank you so much for the information. We'll talk to you again soon. To me, Okay, before we go, it's a five year anniversary of.
Speaker 13: Something COVID really I'm discussing, and there's a recognition of our interdependence that requires of this moment that we direct a statewide order for people to stay at home. That directive goes into force and effect this evening, and we were confident, we are confident that the people of the state of California will abide by it. They'll do the right thing.
Speaker 14: They'll meet this moment, they'll step up have they have over the course of the last number of weeks to protect themselves, to protect them their families, and to protect the broader community in this great state in the world that we reside in.
Speaker 1: It was five years ago today, March nineteenth, twenty twenty, that the state of California was locked down for COVID nineteen.
Speaker 2: Oh good times.
Speaker 1: Didn't you should have been tipped off? I have my iHeart social disc and sing sweatshirt on.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I just thought you went, like in general, like away from me. Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI, Sonny and warmer today. I's in the low seventies at the coast, mid to upper seventies for Metro La Inland, Orange County, the Valley's and Inland Empire sixties in the Antelope Valley Sonny in a couple degrees cooler. Tomorrow, we'll look for sunshine with highs from the low to upper seventies on Friday, and then morning clouds afternoon.
Speaker 4: Sun right on through the weekend. Highs in the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 1: It's forty six in Anaheim, fifty Redondo Beach, forty nine in Sherman Oaks, forty seven in Rancho Kucamonga. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno also traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. Hey, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen in the old time on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear Wickup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.