Speaker 1: We're back. I know it's been a bit. We're gonna dive into some good stuff here on the Sooner or Later Sports Show. Thank oud for pulling up that is, of course, Coop, I'm Jay. Thanks for pulling up here on the YouTube channel and listening wherever podcasts download and listen to while you're here. Please wipe your feet like subscribe, rate review, give us five stars. I don't think we deserve it on here and give us five anyway and gifted. So on today's episode of The Sooner or Later Sports Show, you know, Jane, Coop's gonna do what we always do for you all. We're gonna talk practice. Plus we've gotta dive into this situation around the transfer portal and then we'll talk about you know, SEC stuff and all of that good jazz. So Coop, Happy Sunday man, how you doing?
Speaker 2: Hey, happy Sunday doing good. Excited to be back.
Speaker 3: It's it feels like it's been a little while, because it really has. It's been it's been a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Uh was it the last I think we did the interview with Adobe, and I think that was the last thing.
Speaker 1: That we Yeah, I say the Adobe conversation was the last time we actually came on here and talked the little ball, so I said, we got to bring this back. Well, we'll get more consistent now that we've got the Crimson Combine coming up this weekend and we have that which I will wrap up spring ball and then we can start really comparing us with the competition of the summer and going spring. Spring window is actually the big thing that's gonna probably be the big conversation because I think the spring window is in the next two weeks. Yes, let me see, spring window.
Speaker 3: Closes on twenty fifth, Okay, so it's the fifteenth.
Speaker 1: Some of the gun it's in a week.
Speaker 2: Sixteen, so it opens on the sixteenth, so that'd be ten days from today. And this is a fun one because you get through everybody's spring now you start to see the thumb prints, fingerprints from the gms. You got to see you know, what are we paying you versus what are we getting?
Speaker 3: And do these.
Speaker 2: Do these guys deserve the money that they are being promised right now And we'll talk a little bit about that, but yeah, this is this is the last transferportal window before everybody reshuffles once more and the revenue share starts hitting, and so it's going to be untraveled grounds from this point going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Monday is when the settlement is supposed to happen full for the for the NCAA in the house. That's actually I think that that's when the judges are supposed to come up with something I quote unquote finalized. So I'm expecting that to be uh yeah, we'll have something to really talk about that point. But uh no, thank y'all of course for pulling up hit the like buttons, wipe your feet. New to the channel, subscribe rate review, give us five first and foremost coup. Let's talk about this dob Bond Mitchell transfer Port. Yeah, he has entered officially. That was Friday. I put a little video blurb on it talked about a player that I think the Sooner should go after, what we probably won't because we didn't offer him in the beginning, so he was a three star prospect. I doubt we have that type of interest. We're probably looking.
Speaker 3: More and more for.
Speaker 1: Someone that can actually play.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: Contribute day one. Yeah, we're looking for someone to contribute day one. Now. Granted, I still think it's hilarious that oh you dropped this propaganda on us. Let me find this real quick, because I think that this was I found it hilarious. I don't know if anybody else would find it hilarious, but I found it hilarious because it was one of those like, oh, you're really doing this, give me a second. I'm gonna put it up here because I know you know what I'm talking about, Coop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know while you're pulling that up, I I mean, I really think that.
Speaker 3: You know, like you said, it's August. It's when we need to see something happen.
Speaker 1: You're in a you're in a swimming pool.
Speaker 3: Now, I love that. Love that. Yeah, you got it. You do that, and you're gonna have somebody who's gonna come in August thirtieth and it's gonna be ready to contribute.
Speaker 2: It is from they're gonna go after there. You know, it's not like wide receivers where you've got so many across the transfer porter the drier.
Speaker 4: Provisional should just mute it.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's probably sound playing for everybody else, But anyway, the this play felt like it was on purpose that they put this out there.
Speaker 3: This It did you know this?
Speaker 2: It kind of reminds me a little bit of the Peyton Bowen one handed interception last year. You know, up over the tight end.
Speaker 3: You know, this is hey.
Speaker 2: You know we've seen all the uh, all the offensive output and all the videos that they're putting out for the offense showing that it's capable, and then comes in and one hand intercepts the ball and you're like, oh, okay, well there's that and so, but no, this is it because I mean, you know, you heard Gabe and Teddy, if you've listened to the Oklahoma breakdown, you know, they kind of set expectations for Huggins this year. I would say that he is a healthier version of Austin Stagner, probably a little bit bigger, can move around a little bit more, doesn't have that injury situation that Stagner had with the staff infection. But I mean that's pretty much what they told us to expect out of Huggins. And so then you see this drop where dudes just trucking guys getting in and there entire team is all excited about that, and so Will Huggins right now and Jaron Kannick are the two that you're hearing.
Speaker 3: About the most.
Speaker 2: Still haven't heard ton about Helms and we hadn't heard anything about Bond until this weekends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was the one thing I kind of mentioned before that the concern for me was that, yeah, this is Will Huggins for who would ask John Ross would ask as Will Huggins. But that was the one thing I mentioned when I was starting to do some room reviews. That was my concern. I hadn't heard anything about Vaughn. Like we knew that he had taking an initiative to try to be better, I guess, do better potentially, and then you don't hear anything about him that tells you. That tells you enough there besides the fact that we saw that he was what two seventy five on the depth chart, it's a little big, so hopefully it meant that, you know, he was putting on some muscle. But no, no, that was a really good pass. That was That was an excellent pass by Michael Hawkins. And it looks like, you know, he's out there feeling good, body feeling great.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, the only thing trending up for Vaughn was the way and it sounds like it sounds like the coaching staff if you have not. You know, read some of the stuff that's come out, it sounds like the coaching staff went above and beyond significantly to try to really help him out. I mean as much as like him moving in with you know, coaching staff members to keep him kind of on the on the upswing.
Speaker 3: But even that didn't work.
Speaker 2: And you know, again this is uh, you know, content people can get in a lot of trouble talking about rumors around tight end folks. But I would just say this is I mean, it sounds like the guy had you know, the maturity issue was tied around drinking and just showing up.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, there was multiple occasions where the guy was late for late for things, days where he just was M I A. And uh, you know, it's not like when I was at OU and if the coaching staff sent out a message to everybody. I mean you know you could say, you know, I didn't get that message. Now you've got the cell phones. Now everybody's going to get that stuff. And so you know, for you to go M I A in this day and age, that's not good.
Speaker 3: It's a bad ye. It's you know, let's go ahead and get into this Jay.
Speaker 2: Because we've talked about watching names that we don't want to see leave in the transfer portal, you know, for almost two years now, and now it's going to be a situation to where Naggy and staff is going to be staring at these guys and again, is the juice worth the squeeze? Do the funds and the assets that they have tied up in these guys, are they being reciprocated in the production. We've all been frustrated in the past where you hear of somebody getting a you know, pretty clean nil deal and then coming in and not not doing anything. And and you know, we had a I will not drop names, but we had a tight an offensive tackle last year who we went after came from another P four program and the dude was not good. And so I heard multiple people, you know, ask me, you know, can you pull his money if he's not doing well? There's consequences and there's situations with that. And so now this is how you do that. This is you bringing in somebody and going, hey, you know, college football doesn't have to operate like the Cleveland Browns with Deshaun Watson to where you're just stuck in the money. You can you can make some moves, and so that's what happened, is you know, they they afforded dvon Mitchell well more than enough time. So if you've read it and you're just upset and you don't like the situation and you're wondering why we're getting ready, we're getting rid of a five star tied end, well, you know, the best ability is availability, and if you can't even show up to practice, then you don't have a spot on the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The most important thing you can be, the best thing you can possibly do for this team to show up, be there for practice, work, your tell off, all of that stuff. And that was the unfortunate thing in that whole situation was is that the rumor was there was no work there. And I hope the best for the kid. I hope he figures it out. Yeah, that's the most important thing for him is figuring out getting everything together, getting his life together, making sure he's not putting himself in more bad situations, you know down the line, you don't you never want, you know, of course, the worst for a kid. So we just hope he figures it out. That's gonna be critical. But as of right now, though you're seeing there's a lot of fun going on on the offensive side of the ball. Jeoh, Materier appears to be that dude. Everything that you're hearing about, like hear from the micd up, it's just watching him go, watching him work, watching him talk to the team, watching him wind up. Everything about him appears that it's legit. It he's he's showing that he is everything that he was advertised to be. And as you mentioned about the portal, Stevie, don't worry about it. There's nothing we got to be concerned about. When it comes to, you know, Materr himself, it's gonna be everything around him. Like Naggy came in initially to evaluate, he started appears that he started to evaluate the players first, once on the roster first. Now he's going to start working on recruits and you're starting to see and hear that as you know, some recruits that we offered initially, you know they probably came to consensus and said we probably should back off. It's kind of intriguing to see that. But do not be surprised, uh frightening. Brennan is not at Oklahoma. You can go look him up at Mississippi State. He is hanging out with Jeff Levy. But all we know is that they're watching every single position and they're evaluating everybody to determine if we need to add more pieces, which I actually expect some changes in a lot of spots. I expect some changes at I actually expect us to add another running back. I expect us to add a wide receiver. Yes, I expect another a linement, a center, someone interior which I'm speaking of. Which have you heard anything on that on that went quiet on Micoola?
Speaker 3: I mean the.
Speaker 2: Technically, you can't really do anything yet, right, you know, it's the portal is coming open. So I think a lot of people who are in it, they're they're they have to already be in it, So there's there's work going on, I would.
Speaker 1: Say, technically not with him. Remember his coach got fired. Yeah, that's why he's in the portal. So you get the extra time, yeah yeah, So technically, well, yeah, you get the five days to enter the portal from the day that your coach is fired, and then you can actually go ahead and jump in. So so that's the case. I ain't heard anything even about his his u c l A visiting go search it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can go search that up. But but yeah, you're going to hit up the the portal of situation.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I think that you're you're looking for, you know, anybody from that uh you know, inside linebacker. You know, if you can find the right guy, that's one you want to go after. A defensive back. You want somebody who's going to be able to uh have some planning time, you know, down to them. It's not talent is not what we're lacking. It's kind of playing time and experience.
Speaker 3: Center.
Speaker 2: You know, I think holling Beck is going to be a beast, but he is a few months out of school. Even Creed wasn't Creed year one. So so you're looking to maybe get somebody else to maybe you know, one year of eligibility, maybe somebody who can be a backup. Because last thing you want is what we dealt with last year, is you're you're switching guys positions all over the place the entire year. That's what you want to avoid this year. You know, you're not gonna not going to see the same thing again and feel good about life. So I think that you're going to want to get some kind of a center defensive back tied end, and you know that's those.
Speaker 3: Are some of the spots.
Speaker 2: Now, I fully have to think that this is a little bit more of a well oiled, uh, you know machine at this point. You know, a lot of people who are in the portal or who are leaning that way probably have communicated through their agents, handlers, et cetera. So there's gonna be a lot in the next two weeks. There's gonna be a lot of rumors starting to swirl, and you're gonna get into the battles where it's you know, it's it's us going up against LSU in Texas and A and M versus this this guy, or us going against Ohio State and you know, Penn State versus another guy. So you're going to see a lot of that because people who are going to be out there, you know, are going to be kind of the this is the last this is the last hurrah before the before the rev share stuff hits. So I think that a lot of people are going to, uh, you know, kind of act desperately. So but that's why you have a guy like Naggie in tow so that he can look at it and make an informed and data driven decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. I'm looking now hmm. Okay, so he did make his visit to UCLA. Looking on his Instagram, he does have a picture there, but he doesn't have it anywhere else, which is interesting. He posted about an hour ago that he had a great time at UCLA. But I also haven't seen him posting anything about UCLA like he's posting about Oh like he's reposted about Oklahoma, like he's reposted some Oklahoma posts. He followed me like, dang there instantly when I followed him, he followed me right back. So we're now, yeah, we're in the waiting game.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So you remember last year, Jane, we played the waiting game first and foremost for guys like Branson, Hickman, A dom Dom Williams was a was A was a big one.
Speaker 3: You know, he was a spring game participant, not participant, but attendee.
Speaker 2: You know, he was there and that's where famously his mom said, you know, if you don't go to school here, I'm moving here regardless.
Speaker 1: This is my Holly, I don't care.
Speaker 3: Now they didn't. Now they do live there.
Speaker 2: So you know, there there's some there's some there's some stuff happening, and you know when you don't have the spring game. I'm a little curious about how this is going to be tracked by all of us crazy people, because when you don't have the spring game to talk about at all, like you know, there's going to be uh something needs to feel that and so we've got lots of I mean, there's a lot of good stuff. And you know, here's what I think, Jay is, we don't need somewhere outsider, really tied in. It's not hitting the transfer portal for anything outside of depth. You know, you you need depth and that's pretty much it. And I think that's why a lot of these coaching staffs wanted to get rid of the spring game, you know, the unnecessary need uh to put on a big production where you can get somebody hurt. But also you don't you don't want folks poaching your uh, poasting your backups.
Speaker 1: So because teams are definitely wanting to if they can they can get their hands on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, fair point.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Well, so we'll find out about Jake probably. I think we'll fly find about Jake this weekend, actually probably next weekend. Price let's put this way. I'm keeping my ears to the ground to see if he comes back for the Crimson combine.
Speaker 3: If he shows up, that that's indicative.
Speaker 1: I think that. I think that's a done deal. I think it's done. So uh, let's talk spring practice. Though. Thank you out for pulling up at the light button net to the channel subscribe rate review give us five. Yeah, lemon, this that you probably are on the ode sooner later channel that I switched up. I'm gonna do something different with that one. I'm still putting stuff over there because I need to have content in there, but I'm gonna change that up. I may make that the channel where I do talk a lot more pro stuff. But I digress. Come over here to the standard unfair sports channel and you'll find this pie with me and Coop. Yeah, join us. But anyway, let's talk practice. Let's talk a little bit first defense, then go to offense. Because I love this question from my boy Ace. He asked a good question. Who do we think starts at Cheetah? If y'all got questions, put them in the comments. If you wanted to jump to the top, feel free to do a super chat. We always love some donations that way. We think it is a trash can. But anyway, Coop Cheetah. I'm just gonna go ahead and be straight.
Speaker 3: Up to Shaun White. That's who starts at Cheetah.
Speaker 1: Get out, Oh behind you go, you gotta go. No. I personally think it's powers makes the most sense. I think he's shown enough growth. I mean, I've heard he's been working with the ones. I believe it'll be him, And honestly, I think as Dobe gets more healthy, we see him play more corner, then corner and nickel rather than like I think I can imagine seeing him out there with Gentry, or seeing him out there with Eli right as your third corner who possibly starts often, especially with his size and ability, and then you move him into nickel whenever you're going on a passing down. But I think I think RP three leads the way at Cheetah. And based upon what some of the reports where I saw on the socials was you saw Kendall Daniels playing more inside. So you had imagine Kendall with Samuel Meseigo as your mic oh as a perfect rowth, as a perfect like rotation with Kip and Kobe, or even Kendall rocking it with like either Kobe or Kip, but I know almost Cigo's fighting his way on there. So to me, I can understand the Kendall Daniels thoughts at playing Cheetah. I don't. I think I see him more. I think I see him being moved around between interior linebacker and safety. I think Cheetah's probably gonna get locked up by Powers.
Speaker 2: What you're thinking, Yeah, I mean listen, they they were working some of these young guys between Boganowskin Powers down there last year, and so just you know, with that safety room, it was pretty you know, it looks really good for the future. I think that we all everybody's excited about Boganowski and Powers. But if you talk to Reggie or if you talk to any of the guys on the team, or even Mike, they'll say, don't don't don't forget it out Hardy, because Hardy's in there too, and Hardy's been running, you know, running at the front of the front of the group too. So a lot of stuff kind of ties into health. You know, you're going to have Brent Vinnables wants pieces and chess pieces. He can go do, you can do you know, some really really good things, and you want to be able to shuffle in and out guys. You know, we saw it last year where Danny Stutsman was off the field on some of the bigger, bigger plays, you know, early in the season at Auburn, very very big playing the game. Stutsman's on the sideline and you've got Kobe and Kip in there, and I mean a lot of people who are bald Knower's were like, what is going on? Why is not in there? Well, these guys are, they're starting to do it. They're they're they're they're they're earning their their spots. And so I think that you're probably going to see a mixture of Dolbian powers right there. Uh Oma sego Is was recruited as a linebacker and yeah, and so I mean expect this. Hardy is going to get a lot And I would not sleep on Hardy, you know, rotating in with R. S J And Peyton Bowen throughout the season.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be. That's gonna be something because you can say.
Speaker 1: Something on that. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it's R. S J and Hardy starting.
Speaker 2: Yep, just saying and so if there's listen, if you were a five par if you're a five star, they want you on the field, and if you earn the playing time, they want you on the field. Now, if dudes are and I gotta apologize for the kidos screaming right outside the door, So that's always great.
Speaker 3: So, uh, this family moment's brought to you by PEPSI.
Speaker 2: But it's okay, yeah, yeah, but no, it's you're gonna see a lot of guys. You're gonna see a lot of guys in that safety area. You're going to see a lot of these young guys in there. And with what you're hearing as the potential strength of this team is the defensive line. That's good because what you need out of your defensive backs, you don't need extended coverage times at that point. You need them to do a good job and to you know, if it if it gets into breaking the pocket, you know, to the the oh crep route, that's really what you need to do. And so yeah, I'm one hundred percent sure. I love the I love the the group of safeties and defensive backs you've got. But yeah, you've got a lot of talent out there and they're gonna need to be on the field. So if you look in the future and you see defensive backs as Gentry all right, sorry Gentry Dolby, and you know, Eli Bowen, and your safety is as Hardy RSJ. You're cheetah as powers like, that's not anything you should be scared or worried about or concerned about. That's that's a pretty dope backfield right there. And and so yeah, Gentry' shoulder, you know, I saw the question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got just sick, but you go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got that thing cleaned up. Fun fact is if you have something torn in your shoulder and you fix something else, you don't get better. And so they got the right surgery and they got him cleaned up. So he's running right now during the spring. If anybody has any concerns, they're not going to push him really hard.
Speaker 1: I mean, is that really true though, that you know, if they don't, if they fix something else when you have a shoulder problem, that it doesn't lead to you actually healing just magically in the background. I was just curious. I just want to make sure I wasn't crazy, not saying any you know, anything out of the line, but no, seriously, that's that's the fun that's the funny thing. Is that you cannot expect anybody to be healthy if they aren't if you don't fix what's going on the actual problem. And that's the good thing. We the expectation here is that gentry gentries put its way gentries and paths. He's fully decked out. He may not be hitting people, but he's fully decked out, yeah, which is what matters the most. So yeah, that's that's what's most important, is that he's fully decked out. He's actually practicing. He's going through drills and stuff. So I can expect them to not probably have him do any like tackling of people until the fall, but I can totally see him doing one on win drills. I can definitely I could see him doing some stuff during the Crimson combine because they're gonna want him to just be out there moving. But dB, we're gonna probably need one more vet just in case, because of course you're still waiting on Gentry. Eli's got the injured ankle, and then Kendall Dobey's coming back. Katie's coming back from that ankle surgery in which he didn't have the boot on and he said he's training. It's going through his rehabit. He's probably back by first game of the season. You still want to have an insurance policy there. So we'll jump on. I see a question here about the offense. I'll jump into that in just a minute. I like this from Ace. How'd you feel about that, uh interview that BB did with.
Speaker 3: Payt Well, it's a homeboy.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are just showing up in Norman and not letting everybody know what's going on. And so, uh, listen, we were trying to the on the show with us last year and you know, we we really talked about a lot of stuff with him kind of in the DMS. And you know, I think that he sees something in this team, and I think that he is going to pay attention to Oklahoma early in the season, and uh, you know, if if this team gets off to a good start, watch him because you know, I Pate does show a lot of affinity, uh, you know, for this team when they're doing well, and you know, a lot of people want to see John Matier, you know, a low recruited guy, just a guy that just has a gravity to him, and a lot of people will love to love this team and a lot of people are gonna love to hate this team.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so, uh, you know I like to pay interview.
Speaker 2: I was listening to it while I was doing some some extra work, so I need to go back and listen to it again. But you know it's it's Pate's going to go where the stories are, and this this team is a story because you saw what happened on offense last year and if you had a capable offense, you know this team looks completely different. And so, uh, what I mean, what were your thoughts about it? Because I mean that's the uh you're not if you're Josh Paton, You're not showing up to talk to a team that you think is going to go six and seven.
Speaker 1: Agreed, And and I know that that was a part of the rotation of teams that he wanted to see and want. You know, he reaches out and if there he's invited in, he comes in and just like you said, he's going where the story is. And right now, the story truly is can Oklahoma bounce back from what they looked like last year? And when you bring in the top at the time, the number one transfer portal player in and he's a quarterback, you got a good chance of flipping around what you did last year, especially because the defense for the most part is still intact. You know, your main key pieces at defensive line, linebacker outside of Dandy Stutsman, and secondary outside of Billy Bowman. Brought everybody back. You know you're and and you've added some good pieces former five star Marvin Jones Junior. So that's always a big plus to add. So I think Brent Nobles in that conversation with Peyt and why Peyt came, he told him and I thought was intriguing that he focused on he wants complimentary football, and he preached the sermon that you want to hear from your coach. Now we need this coach to execute. You don't win games with your speeches. You went over the fan base with your speeches, and you buy yourself additional time, but you don't win with just that speech. And I think that he gave us that. I feel like he gave us a reason to actually believe the reports that we're seeing because truth be told. Last year when we talked about it, y'all remember him. You can go back and pull the receipts all you won't remind y'all we told y'all. The one thing that we hoped for this was hope that our quarterback will be forging fire and he will come back out stronger. You know, he will take the pressure as a piece of coal and turn to a diamond. We weren't saying that Jackson Arnold was guaranteed to be great. We said that he's getting his butt kicked and practice, and we hope that this turns him into similar to what we got out of, say in Bradford, who was getting his butt kicked offs on practice. It didn't work. So now we got my tear who's actually cooking this defense while also getting cooked by the defense. So when you see that there's a balance there, bro, I'm about as happy as I could possibly be there. That to me jumps out the most out of him talking about it and then seeing the reports that that's actually actually what's happening in practice. Offense Wednesday, defense, Wednesday. Offense wins two days, Defense wins two days, and it's going back and forth. We're gonna have complimentary football for the first time.
Speaker 4: In a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had somebody kind of say something to me that I thought was a little nerdy, but I like it so I'm gonna share it with you guys. He was watching the second Dune Flip and the part where you know, the main character says, you know, I lead the way and you guys follow me. And I think that the the difference between last year is Jacks Arnold was just out there, just trying to do what play called.
Speaker 3: Was out there right. He didn't understand the ups, the downs, the ins and outs.
Speaker 2: He was just doing what was called. Whereas now you've got Matier out here. And Matier knows the offense. He lives and breathes the offense. He knows option A, Option B, Option C. He knows how to call in and out of, you know, in out of plays. So you have a Jah Matier who, like I said, it's an underdog story. You know, you transfer from Washington Washington State, you follow cam Ward, So people are gonna have eyes on him, and they're gonna want to they want to see, you know, is.
Speaker 3: This the real deal?
Speaker 2: I I mean, I I really do believe that he has control of the offense. Last year, we had no identity on offense. We saw that sometimes the defense looked like they knew what was coming more than our offensive players knew what was coming, and that's that's not good. Whereas you know, now you see again competitive football, you see complimentary football, and that's what you want to see in spring. That's what you want to see in the ball. In spring, you're testing out things to see what your capabilities are. Can we get away with running? This?
Speaker 3: Is this something that we can do? You know, do we have the You know, Ben.
Speaker 2: Arbuckle wants to run a lot of crossers in on offense, and so Jay, guess what you need to do need to have in order to run a lot of crossers on offense, heady wide receivers who can run crossing routest guys who are really good at go balls and they're not very good across the middle. That's not going to help you because you've got to have the capable receivers to do it. And so you know there is going to be when there's gonna be losses when you're hearing the stuff in the spring.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, you know, one of the things that I've really really enjoyed and watching the the Sooner PR team here this year in the spring has been the position battles, the one on ones going at it. But when you're seeing these clips, you're seeing a bunch of guys who you've never seen before making plays. And why is that important? Because that's what everybody's wanting to know. Can this guy make a play? Can that guy make a play? What is going to happen there? And so man, I just this is this is the excitement about the spring football is is everybody starts getting.
Speaker 3: Their delusions of grandeur.
Speaker 2: Everybody is you know, playoff playoff bound and national championship bound, and every all is good right now unless you catch like some some wicked in camp injuries.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, a lot of people are going.
Speaker 1: To you don't run into of course, but yeah, yes, knock.
Speaker 2: On wood, Yeah we're gonna we're to see We're going to see this defense is going to continue to be a good brand Pinnable's defense. You now are getting to see some of the more talented guys who were recorded recruited.
Speaker 3: Into this system.
Speaker 2: You know, these guys are not you know, Danny Stutsman, Ethan Downs, Billy bum They were all recruited into a new, different system.
Speaker 3: But this is the BV guys.
Speaker 2: These are the guys that this coaching staff has wanted. And so this is this is this is good and you like seeing the the work during spring break. You like seeing the one on one work between a tier and the wide receivers. You know, dude was heading to Houston and stop down in Dallas to work out with Dean Burgs and Johnny Gibson, you know, as they're doing some wide receiver training, Like there's nothing else you want to hear. There's nothing better because you're not hearing about quarterback controversy. You're not talking about is Michael Thompson really doing so much better? So is there is there is there a closed book on who the starter is? Like, you're not hearing that stuff.
Speaker 1: No, you're hearing You're hearing that it's you know, legitimate that you got multiple options there, which is something you would like to say.
Speaker 4: That you have.
Speaker 1: It's always a plus and the way it sounds, you know, my tear is here continuously working his tail off, which we all love to see. But defense wise, we're gonna be in a great spot because it's Privtables. Statistically, on average, typically the Brevitables defense jumps has its next leap around this time. This is when Clemson start to see those defenses really evolve into something.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 1: That's what we're ready for here and let's talk it. There's another question that just popped that popped up, which was a good one.
Speaker 4: Jay.
Speaker 1: You've talked about Jackson, Stone and Williams, how it's strong doing well. Truth be told, we've heard really good things about everybody. When it comes to the defensive line. It sounds like we legitimately have a three deep in each spot. Yeah, and it sounds like each spot is very very competitive in that capacity. So you've got a you got you know, three nose tackles probably with Jaden Jackson, who's out right now because the shoulder surgery. He's he's there. You still got Stone who's at the size now, I mean, he's what probably three twenty at this point. And then you've got Marcus Strong, who I've seen reports that he's having a really good spring right now as in there, he's definitely going to be on the roster's and he's bulked his body up well over three hundred edges of course, as you can see here Marvin Jones junior years one. That's everybody's everybody's satisfied. They are very happy that they got him.
Speaker 2: And and in Florida State. You know, we've made we've made comment on it before Florida State. A lot of the guys that I talked to over there were very upset. Not only did see obviously a former five star and you know, maybe a leader of the defense leave, but they thought that this next year was going to be a big year for him because he'd got the maturity stuff and nailed down. Now he has expectations coming in here and he is really, really really excited to be, you know, surrounded by so much good effort and talent around him. And that's another thing is you know last year, you know, we had times where the defensive end position with our Mason Thomas was was super dominant, but we never saw anything kind of out of both sides the defensive line and if you can, you know, line up in Marvin Jones Junior on one side and and R Mason Thomas on the other side, and then any combination of de tackle you got you got a situation where who do you double team? And uh, you know, the returns on Marba Jones this year have already been everybody is super stoked about that. You know, you even have guys and Eric Basham you you you bring this question up. Jacob Henry. Jacob Henry is going through his fall practice. Uh, Jacob and I have agreed to do an interview as soon as he gets through, sorry, the spring practice, because he wanted to he wanted to earn something before he talked about something, right, So we'll be having him on here for too long. But you know, again, he's he's playing catchup and he's got a lot of studs out in front of him, so he's gonna have you know, and he's he's a big wrestler, but he's a small defensive tackle because I really he's I still think he's in the two eighty range, so I don't think he is really stumping up there at the three hundred levels. So if you're going to be that small, you got to be super quick. So he's learning, and there's a lot of learning going on. I don't know if he you know, if he lands himself a spot where he's sticking on this team right now, it's going to be as kind of back into the bench. But with the new numbers, you can't just have guys on the team. And so I'll wrap this back to Marcus Strong because this is probably a year that Marcus Strong needed to either have himself a breakout year to stay on the team or it was going to be, you know, a situation where there was a tough conversation about you know, hopping in the portal. And it sounds like Marcus Strong has done the work to earn himself a rotation spot on the team.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I expect Strong in there. And I have to disagree with this here Classic Sports. You think that we don't have three deep at both d tackles, I don't know. Let's look at it. Your nose is going to be what Jade Jackson, David Stone and then Marcus Strong. Yeah, Ace Hodges behind him moves you know, former powerlift or wrestler, you know, needs to get his weight up. He's about to ninety and six is the last time of the at the roster. Your other side, you know, you've got and Dominic it can also play nose. Just keep that in mind as well, because he's over three thirteen as well, but he's not He's probably gonna play a three three technique. You've got Dominic Williams, You've got Grayson Halton, who had a really good year last year. By the way Stone can also play the three technique. But then you bring in Trent Wilson, who I've already heard. He's over three hundred pounds and he plays like in SECD even's alignment. Technically, I think we got three ATI's spot and a lot of the both of them are and a lot of them are interchangeable. Because the base upon the reports with Stone is he's still got the quickness and stuff at the three, even.
Speaker 4: At that size.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that size, and he's just.
Speaker 1: Added size to his already fast frame and it didn't slow him down. So if that's the case, I don't know. I'm just saying I think you just got a hands of having three deep there.
Speaker 2: I just have to say this classic it's foreign to us. Having good players at all four positions has been been been. It's been since Benito and Winfrey and all those guys were here, and that you could say that way, we had four guys across the defensive line that were actually, you know, difference makers. And I don't even know if you can say like this this group lining up against that group, there's some NFL guys in that group. This group has has chance of doing bigger things and that team was good. That team was really really good with Benito Perry and Winfrey, Isaiah Thomas. You know that it was a really, really good crew. We just have been lacking the the outside pass rusher and the guys up the middle who were going to be able to do both things because you know, up until this past year, you couldn't see you couldn't see a guy like I mean, let's just say Grace and Halton, like up until this point, like he struggled when it came time to you know, the run game. He was getting tossed around. Being in the upper two seventies to eighties. That's not something that you know, especially in the SEC, that you're going to be able to do because those defensive are so are those offensive guards and those centers. Those guys are you know, clearing three twenty three, fifteen stuff like that, and so they're at twenty thirty pounds up on you and they're the one dictating the pace. It was tough and so you're going to have to get four across the board in the SEC. And I think this is the first year. And yeah, Robert, you're right, Like, if you got guys like Marcus Strong and Henry who can come in and be that Yeoman's Ethan down Corey Klein, that type of situation. Guys who just Isaiah Coe is another guy who just you know more recently, who was just a guy who was always there doing something good and so confis If so, if you want to say that we are five five deep a de tackle potentially six, I'll give that to you because Trent Wilson is young. But at the same time, Trent Wilson's going to get his and that's the that's the big thing.
Speaker 3: That's the only part of my attitude.
Speaker 1: Probably I love it, and it's a good one. It's one of those I'm not smiling because I'm here to do work attitude. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean you got to get out there, and I actually put some thump in it because these I mean, would you rather see a guy come out here? You know, Trent Frent's probably going to have a lot of the David Stone type snaps from last year, you know, to where it's you're going to get in You're gonna get some hurt. You know, last year we really dropped the ball by having a crap offense because it didn't allow us to let some of the backups cook. And it's the situation that we really found ourselves. We haven't had a lot of blowout, blowout time game game time over the past couple of years, and we want to get back to that. We want to get back to up fifty six to zero halftime and then you know, let some of the younger kids come out here and you know, try to preserve the shutout. Like listen, if we give up crap touchdowns with our third and fourth string guys, I'm okay with that. This year, you know, we will we will asterix the stats for the defense and say our first team is X y Z.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't care.
Speaker 2: I just want to see backups and depth pieces get a lot of consistent run this year.
Speaker 1: That's what we need. We need. We need some of the young guys to play because, as mentioned in the chat by Classic Sports, which is a very good point, we need some of the younger players to step up. And the only way those younger players step up is how playing. Yeah, gotta get my opportunity to get out there and play. And I think that that's actually what's gonna happen. So, yeah, we need some of these younger guys step up, which Taylor Wine has been getting some words. You've been hearing about him. Taylor him as well at Cheetah at sixty six, he's just not thick enough. But you know, I digress. You're hearing good from the other ones. Pj's up to sixteen. It sounds like he's still really good at two sixty. And he's actually healthy, which has been the biggest problem we had with him is his ankles. He's been having health issues. He's healthy, So y'all got you. You're getting what you want out of him. Our Mason actually, me and John talked about this, which five Star really needs to step up. We'll get jump into that another time. But next set of questions that have come through here, hold a second, and Daniel Koyer is gonna be an issue. He's gonna he's gonna definitely be an issue. Don't don't worry about that. He's gonna cause problems. But John, you asked his question about Adobe to may come back by Texas. His goal is to play by Illinois State. I'm gonna say, realistically, you get him back Kent State, maybe Auburn actually Auburn Baby. Realistic, I'd say Auburn would be realistic, which is basically about the time that was because he was he was her Tennessee, So that Auburn game would be the exact about the exact spot that or Kent State will be the exactly Kin State's probably the exact spot. No, no, it is that would be the spot because yeah, if he comes back, yeah, Alburn would be that game, I think Auburn would be it. So I'd say Auburn would be the most realistic. But his goal is Illinois State, which means he possibly could play a few snaps in that game, maybe a few snaps against Temple, But I think Auburn is the one where he comes back. That's me.
Speaker 2: Well, he's he's another person that you forget about quite often. And I mean if he if he wasn't a friend of the program and somebody that we talk about quite a bit, because I mean, obviously we're big Kendle Dolby fans, but I mean this is literally a guy that you forget about and you know, and I would say that guys like Gentry and guys like Kenda Dolby are are people that you know. The the the casual fans probably has kind of forgot a little bit about and so you can add those guys in and if they come back close to what they were there, they're big assets for this program.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: They are. And that's the most important thing is that that makes them like a massive assets if they come back nice and healthy. But this is good question here. Rumors around the wide receiver room is that there's a bunch more injuries. People are hurt, everybody's dying. What are these rumors true? So let me add to that real quick.
Speaker 3: We got no jobs, no money, our pets, heads are heads.
Speaker 1: Are falling off. So first and foremost, there were a couple of wide receivers that did go down, but nothing long term, nothing too serious. The last thing we heard was that, of course Jane Gibson had a set back, but it doesn't sound like he's done for the year no more a I'm done for probably the summer type situation. So that's good. That means that he still can be on pace to come back when we actually need him, which is when beginning of the season. So I'm gonna count on that to actually happen and not be too stressed out about it, even though I've been stressed like crazy about it as of late, but I digress, he'll be back. Contes Lewis, Josiah Martin and who else was it? Actually those were the two that had I heard had light dingers, but have practice recently, so we're good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And again.
Speaker 2: Jayden Gibson running on air doing his you know, kind of where are we at in the in the rehab process, and he had discomfort and they said, all right, well let's let's stop what was going back now, and let's let's take one step back and and kind of hit the drawing board again. So it wasn't a situation where he retore patella or anything like that, like he just there. There was there was that I put Jayden Gibson in the same situation as Doby and Gentry is from what I'm hearing about Setegna, what I'm hearing about Burks, you know, fully participating in everything. And then on top of it, Bonnie Gibson zon Kerney has had got some good reviews that he you know, he's taken another step.
Speaker 3: So you've got guys who you can rely on. And so if if.
Speaker 2: Jaden Gibson comes back around Auburn time or you know, right around that time. Again, it's just added extra of him coming back in. I don't expect to see that situation that we saw last year.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Ever again, you know in any program, because a lot had to go wrong at the right time in order for that to happen. So yeah, again, if you're if you're freaked out about the injury stuff, like we understand, but every single year, there there's an injury list at Auburn, there's an injury list at Alabama, there's an injury list at Yukon. There's an injury as list at Bartielow High School. Right now, everybody is going to have things up. Why because you're hitting each other every single day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think carry On is actually dealing with some some light dingers as well too. But I expect Tim to be back summer as well. So again, knock on wood, we're not dealing, We're not hearing anything. I think the big report that I've seen every insider say on their practice report is that the biggest win is that there's been no major setbacks when it comes to and Launch is back. He bursted for a big touchdown recently in practice, but then they shut him down just because so that sounds really it makes you feel good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And last year everybody was going, you know what needs to happen. There's the there there's a lot of people that told me last year that the team doctors went and said we need to back it off the tadbit and everybody was upset because we didn't well. This year, once guys are getting little dings, we're saying, all right, you come back over here at spring, let's rest, let's relax, let's chill out, let's get you ready to go for the summer in the fall. And so that's what we're seeing from the coaching staff is they do see somebody, they're not forcing them out there now. Again, that's a different debate for a different days on you know, how much do you want to be pulling guys out left and right. But at the same time, coming after last year in the spring, you can take it up, you know, you can take the conservative approach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and definitely go check out oak on Breakdown where Lane Johnson as well as Gabe we're breaking down some of the one on ones and stuff. I'll put it to you this way, and this is a great way to wrap things up, is y'all. Everyone has that one fear right now is offensive line. That is what everybody's concern is, everybody's wondering and uncomfortable. Lane Johnson kind of gave raved him and Gabe kind of gave some praise to the line. It sounds like, especially because he was in town. Lane was in town recently. You saw actually there was a Sam Bradford sighting. Yep, actually here now. He tried to hide in the back.
Speaker 3: The back of the photo, which I.
Speaker 1: Get, you know, that's just what sammy boy does. But we had a sam Bradford sighting, would say we find a picture real quick. I think everyone needs to see this picture because that that that put a smile on my face. If anything, see if it shows up, well, let me fix this. Okay, let me fix that. See I can actually see it. But we had a Sam Bradford site because we had a Sam Bradford sighting, that made me say, oh things are uh there we go. Yeah, you see him back there in the back, right there, hiding in the back corner. He's hiding in that back corner back there right by Teddy and Lane, which Lane is huge. I don't realize Lane is a dang huge good.
Speaker 3: Did you see the the I think.
Speaker 2: Twenty six or twenty seven guy that's I think it's I think his first names Cooper, but he would yeah, Cooper Hatchett, Yeah, Cooper Hatchet in there with h.
Speaker 1: I mean I think it's total Lane or Watso.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that's a that's a boy who came out of high school at tight End.
Speaker 1: Cooper Hackett, my bad Hackett, not Hatchet, but yes Hackett. He was sixty seven two fifty offensive lineman and he was on campus and he's a giant when it comes to stand next to BV. But yeah, he Yeah, as you can see, we had the oens here and that was the one thing he said that he was looking for as a place where you know, veterans would show up and even funnier that you know, these guys all come to practice right afterwards and he's like, that was pretty cool to see them. I'll want to come back. And we all know that Sam Bradford ain't been back since Stoops has been gone.
Speaker 2: I think the last Sammy Bee sighting we saw was was at the Toby Keith funeral. I think that he came to that one, but I mean outside of that, yeah, I mean Sam does his own his own stuff. I mean, he he's from Oklahoma. He's been around all this, you know, all this Oklahoma hoopla his whole entire life. And so, you know, I also think that a lot of people forget that Sam was really really quiet guy like he's and he's extremely athletic, so he likes doing. He likes going and doing, and he doesn't do a lot of just hang out and chill with folks. So it's good to be able to see him back. But you know, just to see that crew right there, that just makes me happy. And yeah, there you go, there's there's Cooper with with Lane that just blows my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just I still just baffles me just how big Lane is, Like goodness, dude is just But and then Gabe has gotten so small because he doesn't play anything. Well, he's got to a great comfortable size, which is perfect.
Speaker 3: Gave it to him, Gabe.
Speaker 2: I want to He made a comment the other day that he was right around the God what did he say? He was right around the two thirty two forty range. Now, And I mean that's crazy because you hear the story about you know, I guess when they asked Gabe and Lane both to move from tight end over the offensive line. You get two guys who are all conference players. You know, Lane's going to be an NFL Hall of Famer. You know guys who switched over from tight end. You know, that's it's we have all kinds of people up and down the Oklahoma history on the offensive line who switched over from defensive tackle tight end. Uh. You know, it's a pretty cool deal. But yeah, that that's that's that's great photos. That's what some of the stuff you want to see. And yeah, I agree. Somebody said Teddy looks like he can still play. I promise you Teddy probably still has dreams that BB calls him over and somehow gets him in the game, and it's probably uh uh, I mean it's probably one that he wishes that he could get out there and do it one time, because I promise you he would turn around towards the line back I can crew and say that's how you do it, that's.
Speaker 1: How we do it, that's how you do it, that's how you do it. So but I mean that's the latest practice stuff that we're hearing. I'm ready to see what we look like when it comes to the Crimson combine and see all these drills. But Matier Mate's really you're gonna enjoy seeing him. If you come out there, you're gonna enjoy seeing him throw the ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Running back wise, I definitely expect a lot of ex rob a lot of salt chuck, a lot of Javante Barnes when Barnes gets back healthy, and honestly, you price see them Sam Franklin, which is kind of interesting to see.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Tory Blaylock has also made a name for himself already Brace yourself for Torri x xitry Man could be a lethal combination.
Speaker 3: I uh, you know, bless his heart.
Speaker 2: But you know, I live a little bit out here in the country. The other day my daughter wanted me to hit a golf ball, and so I went into my clubs, and you know, not on the course, I'm hitting it in my front yard. God knows what's gonna happen. So I just kind of went for that older club that I just really don't use very much anymore, but it's good for exhibition type stuff. And I grab it and I smash it right off the metal barn of neighbor about quarter mile away, No joking, right, across the street. But I feel like that's Sam Franklin. He is he is the guy on the team to where if we're up fifty six, you know, fifty six nothing in the fourth quarter, Sam Franklin's is going to come in and he's going to be the bulk of everything. You're gonna give Tori his run. But yeah, I mean, I think that's that's what Sam Franklin is is he is that guy. And we'll see if you see Sam Franklin all of a sudden start hearing rumors about Sam Franklin and the portal, that means that we probably want somebody else to come in. But outside of that, I mean, he's a good number four back for him because he's got plenty of experience and he's it's not like he's talentless.
Speaker 1: So it's funny you say that because I was. I was chopping it up with somebody today and they were like, the one thing about Franklin I noticed is that when he actually has the ball, he looks like a running back, like a good one. Like he gets the ball, You're like, oh, okay, he can make something happen. The problem is just getting the ball. He's had issues getting the ball and holding the ball and not dropping the ball, dropping a pass or drop or fumbling the ball. It's holding the ball. If he holds the ball, I think he can be leaked on me. Ran for thirteen hundred yards and I don't think it was a fluke. It's just she got a you know, hold the ball. But we'll see what. Yeah, we'll see that looks like before we wrap up, we had a big vis visitor this weekend on top of you know, Cooper and a few others. But one name that everybody needs to go ahead and know is this one. Douce Gerald's.
Speaker 4: He visited.
Speaker 1: You see him with Bates, seeing him with BV and what. Ponge immediately popped up and says that the Sooners are you know, he's he's he he did his you know, thanks for the visit. Sounds like we are massive competitors for Deuce. Based upon the words of Steve wo Fong from on three, we are in the mix for this behemoth of a human being.
Speaker 2: Deuce has visited O you about one hundred and eleventy seven times. So there's nothing he is coming here to see, nothing at all that he is coming here to see. He knows what the program is, he knows what his lot is. I would say at this point it is implementation, conversations, you know, and talking to him recruiting stuff like that. Now I'm not saying that that's not also happening with at least one other program, but yeah, I mean we are here, and we've been here. He has been here several times. And if you ask PG, PG says, you know, it's it's getting close for him to to make in the call. So uh, man, I it's you're not going up against Sacramento State for guys like this. I mean, he is going to have other very very big programs including Ohio State, you know who is you know, coming off the National championship game, they are absolutely having to reload lost a ton of production. And then you got Clemson also, So that's a big number. That's a big guy. And you know, Jay, I think I'm gonna have to go back and look. But I mean usually around this time in the recruiting process, we're never more than three or four guys, you know, in tow at this point in time. So I think that I think that, you know, I would like to see him not pull a David Stone and wait till the end of the cycle to do it. I'd like to see him do it somewhat early. It does not matter if he commits to Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson until early signing day. It is going to be a continuation of recruiting for whichever team that you know picks up the early commitment.
Speaker 1: So right now, so right now, it sounds like Oklahoma's got a very good chance with him. It'll sounds like we're in We're in the tops. Him and kJ four together would be obscene and they again Trojan fight point this out. He tore it up at the Unarmoured game, similar to the way that Trent Wilson did when he decided to commit. He killed it over there and shut it down and was like, nope, it's where I'm coming. He ended up being the only the lineman we brought in and kids, kids gonna be something period. But I'd like due.
Speaker 3: Douce and kJ. I mean those guys like each other a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah that also and you guys, I mean we saw the defensive line pull last year, so you knew, I guess two years ago, so you knew that, you know, with the Trent Wilson, you know, him being the only one you knew that it was going to be a big one.
Speaker 3: You know, Tulsa.
Speaker 2: Tulsa's got some guys here in the twenty six and twenty seven classes on the defensive line that are going to be big targets for Oklahoma. And you got to pull todj Overton. You got to pull some of these guys because the next couple of classes in Oklahoma don't look too terrific. You know, it's gonna be a very very top heavy So but yeah, you know dou Duke coming back, did he was a final five, final four, final eight, I can't remember right up the top my head. Okay, so he posted that not too long ago. You know, we're excited now because I mean, not too long ago. We were part of this conversation with these bigger guys, but we were you know, taking home the complimentary trophy or the bronze trope, bronze medal. It was never we were never getting the uh, never getting the commitment. And two years ago change that. So pay attention to this a defensive line class because it could be pretty salty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we and we could we really kind of need it. To be salty if you really think about it, so I kind of expect it to end up being that way. So yeah, we'll see what happens. All right, we'll wrap it up with a boat on it. Thank you for pulling up. Hit the like button. If you knew to the channel. Subscribe rate reviewers, give us five and we'll be back. We'll be back next Sunday. We'll keep it once a week for now, since we're quiet. Is very much quiet time unless something happens and we need to jump on and go live all Wednesday. I don't expect it, but well, we will be live on Sunday of next week, and uh yeah, please pull it up. We'll chop it up with y'all soon. Pay