Speaker 1: Breaking down all the xes and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the ball. Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Mike Quinn still and you're still here, so I gotta be nice Henry. I gotta be nice to you because you're making the show run. I've been asked to leave, but I refuse.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: NFL Week eleven was yesterday and the Bills beat the Chiefs thirty to twenty one to hand them their first loss.
Speaker 2: Of the season and Miami Dolphin. I had that celebrated. I had that game. I had that game. I was that's an easy game, but kennis series, I'll lose. At some point last year, they lost the fifth game of the season and did Okay, you know what this game means, not a damn thing, not a damn thing. You know, the only time it would be one thing if and I think that the Bills have kind of taken the advantage of home field advantage now because you know of the win, but they're still behind because the Bills have two losses. But I think it's there's they have the edge in terms of h so way if it comes to that. But uh and and this has happened. This is not a shock. It Bills own them in the regular season. Chiefs told them when would you rather win? Like MM playoffs like March? Yeah, yeah, AFC championship game. So so here here we are. I mean, great game to watch, another great game? Sure, yeah, love love watching of course, my wife said, King's City fans. So it's like we watch all those games we follow. Yeah, and she's she's been very happy the last few years, very happy the last few years. Year, which is great for me. Yes, so you're not living in the next room, not living in the next room. We get to we get to watch. But see that's you know, that's the thing it was. It was hard for me, you know, being a Miami Dolphins fan. It's like we're enough kids. You root for the at least the last undefeated team to lose. Larry Zanka posted many pigs of him drinking champagne. Yeah. The but I'll tell you another great game. You just kind of question though, It's like the Kansas City's offense just doesn't look like Kansas City's offense. No, but it hasn't been that way all year. I'm saying all year it hasn't looked that way. Well, guess what one game is not going to change that. I mean, it's Arizona offense. They got to come up with something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, offense was not like that all last year too, until the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Okay, And they talked about Kelsey on the show because I did watch a game. It says, well, he's coming around now. Well, it's how he's been playing well the last or. They've been throwing him the ball daily. Yesterday, not so much, I don't think, no, but they they they they threw the ball to him last week. This week they were, they were really all over him, and Drake and Hopkins caught a few balls right this yesterday. But they're really I tell you, what they're hoping for is they're hoping for this for Worthy to really step up. They're throwing him the ball, They're they're doing ends around and uh, I mean, if he steps up, you have three receivers that you can throw to. They've all always had, you know, three receivers when they've been really, really good. And then we'll see how this goes. Yeah, it's they talk about overreaction Monday. Yeah, I mean, come on, I'm sure that in Kansas City they're you know, leaping off tell buildings or whatever. But it's it's it's it's what happens in in the NFL. What has happens in November a thing he talked to me in the playoffs, and then then it matters, Oh, they're still gonna win if even if they don't, you can, you're gonna point to this game. Well, this is what it's how you play that day. And I've said this for ages, it's how you play that day. You might beat me one time, Quinn and I beat you one time. Yeah, but okay, good for you. Bills played you know, one of the best games that they've played. Yeah. Yeah, and I'm not I love the Bills. I was all over Allen a few years ago, and I still I still haven't looked at the running touchdown that he had. I needed I needed that for him to cover. Obviously, he was like a two point game. Because I had the Bills and with the in the j pool and they're good, I wouldn't be surprised. You know, the team I really like and I still like even after yesterday, Baltimore. Yeah, no, Baltimore is gonna be tough because Baltimore is gonna run the ball. Okay, Uh the Steelers man talk about smoking mirrors. Yeah, I don't know what the hell's going on there. Yeah, it's like going to how you know, how are they winning? You know? I feel great for Russell Wilson. I've always liked Russell Wilson, him coming in and winning these games. But what they had? No touchdowns again, no offensive touchdowns. The It's gonna be tough to keep winning that way. Yeah, no, of course, of course, you know they're they're they're winning, so they're not. Well, let me tell you this. If you remember three years ago, I think it was there undefeated for a long time under Rothsbergers. Last year I think whatever his name is, and guess what they loved. They lost in the first round. Yeah, they were this team. They couldn't score, they couldn't do much, but they were winning, right, and no apologies, they didn't have the They were winning, but they weren't that good, right, and that's saying about it. I'm not sure their defense is good. Defense definitely shut down Baltimore which has been running a great offense. Well, San Francisco. Look at San Francisco yesterday they lost freight team that had six field goals or whatever. Yeah, Seattle and they couldn't They couldn't muster enough in eighteen points or whatever. Okay, Henry, it's up to you. Rams are gonna win that division. Yikes. Yeah, I know, man.
Speaker 3: The Chargers beat the Bengals thirty four to twenty seven on Sunday Night Football last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw like two minutes of that game because it had no appeal to me. Well, you know, I will tell you this. Those two quarterbacks were going at it, and they're good quarterbacks. I don't know. I couldn't tell you whatever. It just was like he was throwing daggers. Man, it was just unbelievable. On the passage a quarterbacks brows burrows. If T Higgins dropped a ball in the end zone, that was just like bo I mean, it always catches that. How much he get paid, I'm not sure if he gets paid enough. It's like after dropping that ball in the end zone, fine anymore. Yeah, And then they were complaining about the kicker. You know, It's like they asked him about the kicker. It's like going, come on, you know, it's like you dropped a touchdown pass. What are you gonna give you give the kicker, Hey, kicker lost missed two field goals. Give you that the But anyway, it was a it was a pretty good game, you know, I tell you they were getting the Bengals were getting blowed out and then uh and then until they weren't.
Speaker 3: So we've got Monday Night football tonight at six fifteen. The Texans at the Cowboys are seven point favorite, speaking of don't give a crap.
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, what seven point favorites? Who they're playing? Who they're playing. Yeah, there was a shock that they're not the ten point favorite. Yeah, they should be a hundred point favorite. And it's like going, I take the over thinking that they were going to shut out Cowboys. It's like Cowboys are terrible this year. Terrible. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Giants have bench quarterback Daniel Jones for Tommy DeVito.
Speaker 2: You could tell me you didn't tell me what's your last name, Henry? You don't have to say it on the air, but I know your last name of but you know, don't say it's like tell you Henry, Henry. I don't know your last name. Who are these dudes? Yeah? What Daniel Jones? Daniel Jones did sing for the monkeys? He's third string. They made him the third string quarterback. Didn't you sing for the monkeys? Or who Jones? Was that? Mickey Jones? Mickey Jones. Yeah, there you go to there's a flashback reference. It's like Jones the no so they know it is Davy Jones. Davy Jones, Yeah, Mickey Nolan, they'll tell you.
Speaker 4: Tell you.
Speaker 2: The But Daniel Jones, man, he is. They dropped him to number three. He's the backup, reserve, reserve, emergency quarterback. Who's the other dude, Vito? Oh yeah, yeah, I remember him because it's the other de Vito from Taxis. Yeah, the Italian Stallion man, he's he's got all the hu. Giant guy. You're in New York? Oh not a not a Giants fan, not a Jets you lived there forever. I lived there for a long time. But I do know who are you.
Speaker 3: My family's like mostly Jets, but I'm a cult fan.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: The new ap pole.
Speaker 3: Has dropped today, Kansas remains at number one. Purdue has moved up to number six after win over Alabama. Arizona's down to number seventeen, and Duke is at twelve after losing to Kentucky last week.
Speaker 2: So I'll give you this question. Does this bring the game to a lesser appeal because the rankings have come up this way before the game two Carozona two Arizona, they could be both unranked. Yeah, well, let's not get carried away. But no, I totally agree with you. The prices, the prices on the tickets just diminished.
Speaker 5: They did, they did.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, it's like if they did, Oh, you don't have tickets for this one. I can't. No, I don't have tickets for you. I'm going anyway. Yeah, I'm sure you're gonna go anywhere anyway. You're gonna go sit in those nice sweet seats there. Yeah, they're not nice sweet seats. They're just seats. And then you're gonna text me and say quit texting me. I'm trying to watch the game. Yeah, I'm working here, Yeah, working, I'm working. I'm observing the game. The that's gonna be a hell of the ticket to get, you know, I will say that. Uh yeah, people are already on the aga. I'm looking for sure, you and everybody else. Yeah, oh yeah, sure, yeah, that's you know what, You're the one looking for tickets. Oh okay, Michael, I know you're we're thinking about going to the derby. And let me tell you this, to be honest. Uh, the tickets here for the Duke game Friday are more than what you showed me for the derby.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Twice twice as much? Wow? Yeah yeah, I wouldn't. I wouldn't pay that much for this game. How much would you pay? How much would I pay? Yeah? You got decent? Maybe twenty. Yeah, it's past your bedtime. Yeah, I'm gonna be sitting on the couch drinking a ice cold beverage. You're gonna be passed out by the ten minute mark. Absolutely, okay. You watch That means you won't be texting me. I will text you. I will text you. I'll watch it. I'll definitely watch a game, There's no doubt about it. I'll watch a game. Yeah, don't get don't ask me for my observations. Five minutes and like you always do, I don't ask you. I tell you your observations. Exactly. This is the way you would write about you and everybody else.
Speaker 3: Exactly defensive back Genesis Smith has been named the CO Big Twelve Defensive Player of the Week after his performance versus Houston last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a bad dude. He's a bad dude. Yeah, he's pretty really he really, he really stepped up. It's like that you needed that. You needed someone like that to step up and play a big game defensively for us to win. We'll see how what goes in the future. Hopefully they just throw away from him, shut down their offense.
Speaker 5: Make him one dimensional. That's all I got.
Speaker 2: So you got? Uh? Anything else happening with the other sports? Women's basketball? When's basketball play? Or did they play Saturday to beat Chicago State pretty easy?
Speaker 5: I think it was Saturday Saturday beat.
Speaker 2: Chicago State pretty pretty easily in Chicago, which is good. It always beats the alternative. Better than losing. Yeah, better than losing, better than losing. What what else is there? There's a lot of stuff coming up here. Volleyball still going on, vollball children, Well they get a couple of games. What do you cover?
Speaker 5: You're covering hockey?
Speaker 2: Hockey? How are they doing? Uh?
Speaker 3: They just lost two games to GCU over the weekends.
Speaker 2: Are they competitive?
Speaker 5: Somewhat.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean it's still really early in the season. The games. They've got a lot of games more towards the springtime.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, then if you guys want to call, we got about three minutes left. If you guys want to call in here to call, take a quick call because we've been getting some calls. It's always good. Yeah. What I asked you a question, Oh how much would you pay for a ticket? And we'll talk about that at the other side. You know, well, I guess let's think about it. I mean, it is on TV. Being there is going to be exciting. I don't know what. I don't really so if it was a good seat meaning I fit in it? Uh? Which is there is the definition of a good seat for me? Well? You do you because it's you ain't no thing on the guy. Okay, well listen, we was talking about new room. Okay, I'm not talking about I'm talking about the rear the rear end, the uh. I will tell you what the cup holders. It is a little time you like Southwest, I gotta buy two? Yeah, so I'll take I'll take two seats. H here. The I don't you know if it was later in the season. I guess it would be more exciting, and he seems a little bit The Duke game so so last year and I'm I'm not gonna say exactly, but I went to the game because I wanted to experience it. I was underwhelmed. Uh, he's Cameron Indoor. Cameron Indoor. I would have gone to Cameron and I paid X amount of money because I got into the game for free, enough for free, but I had to work, uh flight hotel and I'm on my own dime. So I was you know, you're talking maybe a thousand, but I do that to watch a game of camera one camera and then yeah, it's it's it's like watching for me, it was overhyped. It's over hyped because the camera it's it's built for it's built for eight thousand, nine thousand people, and it's crazy. I'll give you that. But I covered U A and Stanford for years. Great atmosphere when Stanford was good under Mike Montgomery, crazy good, and the floor shook, bounced, the goals bounced. It was that crazy kids jumping over you to celebrate on the You have to save your computers. People don't know because they don't know because they don't go to Stanford. They didn't show the crowd. And now now Stanford's the toast. But back in the day, Stanford was rocking. Like you're talking about my favorite place, well, the old organ, the Matt Court, the Matt Court. It was if you light a match, the place could go down at any moment. Matt Court was wooden, that old stuff, you know, and it was right on top of you. My number one place ever, great college town. They were halfway decent. They compete with Arizona now and again. But the kids were brutal. Damon, they got on, Damon, they get on sleam like the organ guys. Uh, and they were on top of you. And it was crazy, fun crazy. We we sat, we sat in front of guys in the press row that were just like you know, the two old men in the balcony. Yeah, yeah, you know, those guys funny as all had. We couldn't look back and say, hey, that was a good one. But they were always funny, talking crap about the team. You know. It's that it's all you know, stopped. I mean good stuff, not just that. So that would have been good. I would have liked to have watched the game there That's why I asked. But but Kevin fantastic, good on team. It's a it's a made for TV place because it's so tight. And then they did they hype it. Yes, it's one of those that's another ESPN man. Uh you know, it's like they made it into greater things. And of course when they dick vitals like sure, let me say this. Yeah, and I'm not gonna go to many games in the Big twelve because well it's it is what it is. Uh. There they rival that too because the student sections are bonkers. Yeah, yeah, and not it's it's like Tuslon, it's only game in town. So that's what they BET's. I bet it's crazy in Kansas. Yeah, I've been there three or four times. Uh, Stanford was to be but Arizona also beat Kansas, so it's yeah, it's hard to get that gates when they're kicking the crap out of Arizona. They didn't. You know, they're pretty silent when you're getting beat. Yeah, right, exactly. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Crazy, Oh yeah, absolutely is different when you're losing. Sure, and they were losing. The candy Gate was that weekend, so they went off there's other times, you know, so I'll tell you what it's. I think it's gonna We're gonna get some exciting basketball. Okay, we got to go. We already pout up a minute over.
Speaker 4: Are you ready?
Speaker 7: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 5: Are you ready enterprise so fascoa Yuki try?
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams, frowsyisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 8: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Mondy to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot Com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipments Arizona.
Speaker 9: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 6: Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot School and a fallse four season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follows. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose from, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 11: Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltee team dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today. In MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A b K nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to Lindrix, Syncrodic grates and avaiable loan programs or sub set to change with don't notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 6: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fine to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere suh Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 9: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than effort. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score.
Speaker 5: You can borrow better with Pyramid.
Speaker 9: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com.
Speaker 3: Slash one rate.
Speaker 9: Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 4: Got bugs, termites, fees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bes or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpass dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth to the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers including u A All American, Ricky Hunty, Hall of Fame Coach, Mike Hendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference once again, that's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the xs and os. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, You're Mike Gwinn Stellier, and we got Henry. Now we have over UA football player Viktor Yates, the voice of reason through most of the seasons. And Victor and how you doing.
Speaker 12: I'm doing good? How about yourself?
Speaker 2: Iank?
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 2: We wanted to bring you back U after you know, you know the guy from the S S Tech calendar. Uh, he says the world's gonna end. The world's gonna end. Eventually, the world's gonna end. So he'll be right one day. Right, Uh, you've been, you've been, You've been preaching. Don't worry about it. It's gonna be okay. Don't worry about it. It's gonna be okay. Friday, guess why, people, you didn't worry about it and it turned out to be okay.
Speaker 12: Oh that's right, that's right. Listen, Dad, you know, uh Friday, I feel like Friday was great and I want to preference this for everyone to know. It takes time.
Speaker 3: Is that overnight.
Speaker 12: I am. I am just as frustrated as some other people are. And I think that with those frustrations, I think the coach of the program was frustrated too. But just some of the things I was hearing was just laughable, Like, hey, the team's giving up on the coach. And so I felt like, after seeing Friday, I'm like, does this look like a team that's given up? I mean, look at the post games celebration in the locker room. Like I think, people when you when you get a ten win season, it can get really easy to forget how hard it is to win football games because you got double digits, you know, and so when those watches start to stack up, they're like, oh, the guys to give it up. I'm like, no, just football games aren't easy to win. You're not easy.
Speaker 2: So what you're saying is the other team's trying to It's true. That's that's a grant. That's a great point. I mean, it is. It's hard. It's hard to win individual on football game.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, certainly. I mean you look at some of those games, with the exception to the Colorado game. In my opinion, I'm like, uh, those those other games since we last talk, were like, you're in it, man. I mean, people didn't want to give BYU credit, but obviously they've shown what type of team they are. But we played b YU on their homecoming day, you know. And so typically when you play a homecoming unlike what we were able to experience when I was back on campus, but typically when you play, guys are juiced up to the ten and you know, and they showed that.
Speaker 2: So let me.
Speaker 12: They showed a valiant effort, so.
Speaker 2: Let me victory. So what years did you play here or your own team?
Speaker 12: Two thousand and six to twenty ten? So yep, Stoops. Stroops went from losing seasons to three consecutive Bowl games.
Speaker 2: Okay, so be perfect example. So how was how was the weekend when you when you lost? And how was the weekend when you won?
Speaker 12: Listen, night and day. I will tell you when you lose, it is and as specifically I mean highlight because it's a little bit different. And this is what I can understand from them of losing like multiple weeks in a row. When you lose multip weeks or it starts to become morbid, because that's like the fan base at the beginning the season where the hope is that an all time high sort of like when we came into the Big twelve, we had all those rankings and people were like, Yeah, what's going to finish the top we might win the conference. Like that's how players come into each game, like, man, I've watched the film. I know what I need to do. Let's go get this W. And it's not until the final result where you walk out, yeah, head bigger low and you're like, damn, we lost again, like and and the weekend is not fun man. And so when you win, it's like, Hey, the work that we put in, we got to see the vision come to life, which is at the end of the game, having the victory the W. And I think that's what was really sweet and fun to see about the guys in that locker room.
Speaker 2: Ask Mike, ask him about the confidence stuff that we were talking about earlier and just what it't mean. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we were River and I were talking today. I mean, of course he's not a believer in momentum, but we were talking about him being a believer in confidence. Uh, how does how does a how does a win like this build your confidence that you can continue? You it and then you can continue successes and does that carry over?
Speaker 12: Yeah, So that's a great question. I think when you're when you're talking about the confidence aspect, and I highlight that the confidence is it's monumental because part of confidence is seeing the result. Right, Like, your confidence gets wounded slash hurt when the result is unfavorable time and time again. Right, But when you have the favorable result, your confidence starts to mount because you're going, hey, we're doing the right things and the end results of victory. Let's keep second on that. And I think that that confidence will be good until about kickoff time and Dallas Fort Worth a TCU, and then we will have to see what do the players have up their sleeve, along with the coaching staff, because well, when you start to go any no two games are the same, right, So last week they're at home. Now they're on the road, having one on the road in a long time, and so looking at that, it's gonna be an uphill battle. But I think confidence wise, they'll be they'll be ready to roll. Now listen TCU at TCU and I'm not sure if it's for Senior Day or not. It's not gonna be an easy Cask, right, So these guys are gonna have to lock in and and and my in my opinion, I think the first quarter at at at Fort Worth is everything for the Wildcats. Not necessarily for TCU, but it is everything for the Wildcats. Like, we are gonna have to to your point from the confidence and I will dare I use the word the M word momentum. We're gonna have to bring that to the first quarter of Fort Worth or we are gonna be in the heap of trouble.
Speaker 2: Let me let me continue with that confidence thing a little bit. Okay, So I miss I misspoke. When we were talking to Brian and I mentioned about a complicated playbook, what I meant was a complicated game plan. Uh. Yeah, yeah. Are these are these game plans that they're running. Do you think that they're pretty confident or pretty complex? Uh? And do you think that the team is kind of getting confidence and uh, that the game plans are good and that they're that they're buying into that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So I think that they I think at the Division one level, they are certainly complex. And part of part of the nuance of being a coach, right is most of these coaches have so much of the the indoctrination of coaching that they can accidentally make things hard for the players, right. I think that's what you heard from BB when he said, hey man, we're not seeing guys And he didn't say this, but I'm paraphrasing, we're not seeing the guys execute on things. And I'm realizing that we've made things too complex for these guys, right. And so one of the coaches that I don't necessarily need a name that you can do the math for who it is. One of the things that he had a knack for was simplifying the game, and most of his defense I can did you not was cover three. I mean at the fishing one level, that's like gonna heard of it. But that's like, hey man, we're rolling when all those flows will run cover three. But you know what's impactful about that, Guys know where.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 12: You get too cute on things and you get guys at a position, then you're geting hit over the top or like an offense, you have a guy missed his assignment because you've made the game too complex. Even at the high school level. Something I try to pride myself on is like, hey, let's make it simple for the guys so they can do what they're called to do in terms of athletes, but like, let's let our athletes be athletes and not have to do trigger nometry when they step on the field and go, well, this guy's two yards outside the hash so that triggers this and that. Like, no, that's that's over coaching in my opinion.
Speaker 2: So let's let's this is real talk, right, Welcome to real talk. So I'm gonna give you things. And I've already asked this question twice. I'm gonna ask you now. Okay, So we saw the game on Friday. They won the game. Was Arizona better good or whatever? Or was Houston just not that good?
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's a great question. I've seen some people laughably. I've seen that people try to discredit Houston, like, excuse me, wasn't Houston on a win streak? Didn't they beat a team that took us to the woodshed? Like I'm like, hey man, I'm like, one of the things that I believe is that Arizona got better and that if you're in Houston shoes. To be quite honest, you come into Tucson and you think it's probably gonna be a walk in the park, right, Like, like, hey man, the teams that we've beaten are way better than this team. And that's what I mean by no two weeks of the same. You come into a football game and you go, hey man, we're way better than that team, and then you end up in a dog player with that team or down. And now all of a sudden, they've got the N word momentum. And the reason why momentum is important because as a collective group, I believe in football there are plays that are momentum swingers. And and what I mean by that is now everybody is locked in, right and so whether it's special teams, defense or offense, like somebody managed to play on offense and now the whole defense is locked in, and then there's special teams is locked in and it's hard to get points or get turnovers from a team that's locked in. And so I think that's why momentous is important. So I would say definitely Arizona got better. I like to play calling, and I think that's something that uh people didn't give VB enough credit. And I think for some of the season that we saw it was real pland and worrisome, but like the double passes a few weeks back, that he did set it up? Uh, Noah, would he would be touchdown if he if my boy didn't drop it. I'm like nobody, nobody commented on that. You know why, and I and I say this, it's just but it's it's for real. It's like, hey man, when people when people aren't losing, people got every reason to point the finger and why something ain't working. But then when you're winning, they start to say all that starts to dissipate. It sort of disappears. And so I I think the play call is getting better. I think the team's getting better, and I think honestly, the coaches are starting to understand what works well with the scheme. Now the big question right is, like I said earlier, does that transition to fort working. That's what everybody wants to.
Speaker 2: Know victory And I gotta tell you You're no longer going to be a guest. I'm gonna have to cut you off. You use the momentum word one too many times. I don't like it. I don't like it. I don't like it. But let me ask you this. Let me ask you how many games you play you in your game, did they was gonna play in your time?
Speaker 12: How many games?
Speaker 2: Fifty total? Maybe?
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, something like that.
Speaker 2: Okay to say fifty. Okay, So of those fifty, I know you guys want and you guys lost. How many of those games did you not show up emotionally?
Speaker 12: Oh, that's a good question of not showing up emotionally? I would say zero of them.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're joking, because it happens, and you know what does, especially when you're away, you can always be on.
Speaker 12: Show up if you're talking about collectively, like you turn to Tam to Hayward the team. Yes, yes, I would say a great example of that would be when we played Stanford at Stanford, we did not we did not show up emotionally. Or you could do the the Holiday Bowl when we played Nebraska and lost thirty three zero.
Speaker 2: I think that right, right.
Speaker 12: Partly part of what part of what happened in that was they made it show up before Christmas, and they told us we were going to show up after Christmas, and Nebraska showed up after Christmas. But then you also had both coordinators who took jobs, so they were kind of chilling on and play calling them both ends in the week Nebraska.
Speaker 2: Was not Yeah, okay, so Victor my point, and my point is that plays a factory in a lot of different things. I mean, you kind of said it. It does happen. And if anything I've learned in this job is emotion plays a huge factor at the college level because you don't know what's going on.
Speaker 12: Mind Listen, listen, that's a golden point you're bringing up. And I'm gonna to Mattie on this because this is what I say. That's why there's elite coaches, right.
Speaker 13: And calle ball.
Speaker 12: They get paid the big bucks because they figure out a way to get their team into one loss and every so often no losses but one loss seasons or two loss season at the max, and that's unheard of because of how many weeks in the season you have. You see what I'm saying when you say I one hundred agree, because it's on the coach at the end of the day. If those kids don't want to show up, you've done something as a coach that is going to be reflected and you getting ultimately fired because people are gonna say, hey, they are no longer showing up for you.
Speaker 2: So well, when you say that, I would definitely not Saban, Who's we all know is the heck of a good coach, and he's brought it up a few times when Tommy's talked about it. It's that rat poison stuff. They start believing, and you know, people are telling them you're great, you're great, and next week's that you're gonna kill them. You're gonna kill them, and then guess what, they Okay, we're great, and let's we don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 12: Yes, it's like what I what I tell what I tell me coaching high school. I tell these guys we're the number one seed in six A playoffs.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 12: One of the things I've been stressing to the guys is this, Hey, the seedings is fun and all, but mainly that's for the fans and that's for a home field advantage. But I said, but I'm letting you guys know now, those seatings they disappear the moment that clock.
Speaker 5: Starts.
Speaker 12: Soon as it starts, that first quarter starts, the seedings is irrelevant when it's zero or when the clock seat triple zero. At the end of the game, that's all that matters. No one cares what seed you were at that point in time, and so to your to your point behind, it's like you read these press clips in La Man, we're the number one team in the conference. Nobody can stand with us. Oh yeah, yeah yeah, And then you don't realize that the other team was saying, Hey, this is gonna be my last road. I want to send the seniors off with a big bang. Let's go get this w And that's what happens. I mean, look at Kansas, Look at Kansas and BYU that's the part em right right.
Speaker 2: We talked about that earlier. Uh and no, and the opponent that you're playing, that's the game of the year. And and this is these guys aren't better than us. You know, we're here for a reason.
Speaker 12: Yep, ye, that's that's what listen, TCU. The worst part for for Arizona is that TCU is watching the last game against Houston and going, oh, so these guys are still playing football right right, So so their guard is going to be up. But we are going to have to we are gonna have to show out and and I believe that it can happen. We're just going to have a hell of a game plan and the guys, you're ready.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, look at just one more example we've got because we've got to go the Oregon game against wonsconsin they were just good enough to win that game. But same thing, you're number one, You're going into Wisconsin. You're thinking, Okay, we can do we heck we got this. Maybe not.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 12: So to your point, I worked in college athletics for nine years. I will tell you that when you're talking about emotions, team emotion show up at least And this is why it's so hard to go defeated for one game a year, like collectively like, hey, we are not losing this game. And even in the heyday when USC was just off of the premiere of being national contenders, when they had like was that David Booty or whatever the quarterback game was, we would play sc And this is this is when we were a five hundred team at best, or like we went five and seven, we would play SC. I remember we lost to them the one year that they were elite. We ten to seventeen. Right, They did not score seventeen the rest of the year. It was always twenty plus points to the rest of the year. Right, And I look at that game as a guy on the losing team, going, dude, that's amazing. We held SC to seventeen. I said, you know why, it's irrelevant though, because they held us to ten. Nobody get at that game going shout out to the coaches at Arizona the seventeen point right, because they ended with victory. But we showed up emotionally because we knew that if you don't show up for SC they might hang one hundred on you way back when. So to your point about the programs, that's exactly what these guys got to do.
Speaker 2: The show up.
Speaker 12: We hit week out.
Speaker 2: Victor, we'll talk to you again soon, maybe before the ASU game or whatever. Thanks a bunch, Yeah, thanks a bunch.
Speaker 12: Yes, appreciate y'all.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks to Victor, y Yeah, good stuff, good stuff because he's realistic about it. You know, you have to know. Okay, we got to go because we're getting once a minute or tour. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from lut It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me a Steve dot Robera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 4: Space and your life.
Speaker 14: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freewate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 13: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals. Affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial daid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about it. As you flip the home you Own program The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home all Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson. Listen up.
Speaker 15: L Tourty two Son is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. Dnahair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and TMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride? Grab your bikes and your buddies join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the El Tourty Tuson. For more info, check out el toour Day tuoson dot org.
Speaker 13: El Towdy twuson is on November twenty third. You can help support the kids at Banner Diamond's Children's Medical Center in Tucson by joining the Banner Health Team, ride, run, or walk any of the routes to make a difference. Visit Eltoordy Tucson dot org for more.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera He's got his Eye on the Ball on Tucson sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to One in the Ball. Here all Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, you're Mike Quinn. M We've got Henry no last they needed helping us out through the end of this segment. I'm here tomorrow, I'm here Wednesday. I'm not going to be in it Thursday or Friday. Uh, who's gonna do? Is anyone gonna be doing the show? Do you need me to do the show?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure if you have the kids helping you, because yeah, there's nothing with out the kids or the guys. They're not kids or students, young adults, an adults. You'll want to be a kid for all your life, Henry, because it sucks being any you see me try and get up and walk out of here. It's like you want to up the stairs an athlete when you're coming up the shows, I'm thinking, he's don't fall, he's play. Hey. So uh so I'm asking you. We're talking about other things, but what would be the max price for a duke ticket this Friday? Yeah? I think the most I'd pay is five hundred dollars. I wouldn't pay. Where would be the seat, the minimum seat or the best seat for that five hundred bucks? You would have to be on the first level if I was the first first twenty five rows or whatever that rose. Yeah, you know, if it was way up there and something like that. But if if it's ta geting up there is like for three hundred up, yeah, probably probably be possible that I'd want to do that. Yeah, it's gonna be. They're gonna be. They're going for a lot of money. I'm sure they're going for a lot of money. There's people that are dying. Like you said, if it was later in the season, but if it was, what if it was at five six o'clock, Well, because you're not going, because you wouldn't go. It's it's eight thirty. You're already half way. Yeah, thirty eight thirty is late, but I'd stay up and watch it, watch a game for that. I mean, I can stay up. I mean it's not like I have to go to bed the uh you know, my wife doesn't make me go to bed. She goes to she goes to bed earlier because she gets up at four am. Okay, I don't you know, I could sleep in a bit, but uh, I guess yeah, I'm not gonna You know, I wouldn't be dying to go to a game at eight thirty. This is what my problem is. The game starts at eight thirty. Guess what's all day Friday? I'm at the TCC. And then guess what happens the next day after this tour. That's right, you jumper, and it's six o'clock. I get like three minute nap and then go yeah, wow, you know it's a good thing you don't sleep. Go sleep now because I'm older and I you know, I need my beauty rest because I need to get beautiful at some point, you know, by window of opportunities following. I'm not sure if there's enough turkey to put you to sleep that reducing ducking Yeah, if anybody wants to call, what's the price? What's the price of fame? There in the Arizona game, Like you said, later in the season, you know, tournament time, I mean yeah, I mean I pay more than that for to go to a tournament, you know. And I talk about loot a lot because that's what I cover. But he paid North Carolina late in the year. Uh, the other schools, Kansas, you know, mid not in the beginning, but later in the year. So it was, you know, kind of like a made for TV type of situation, a lot of fun rivalry. Yeah, those things later in the year. You know, you start playing in February. Those games, those games matter, Yeah, a lot more. No matter more, no matter more, matter Moore, you know a little bit more about your team. You know, this is the team we have this you know, we still don't know the team that ares on a head team that Wisconsin. Let me say this because I'm guilty of it, and I'm very guilty of it. I really like this team. Nothing's changed, nothing's changed, because they can go, they can they can lay an egg like they did last last week again and again, yeah and again. But I still like this. This team because it has all the pieces to be a pretty good team. The problem, Mike, if I can't beat you ten out of ten or nine out of ten, or I takes guess what, you're better than me. Yeah, you just better than me, right, But I will tell you that. You know, there were times that team really looked good that night, yeah, against Wisconsin, when they were when they went on that run, they went on that run, they looked like they were they were a good team. They were in sanc they were playing good ball, they were playing defense. Uh. And then they kind of stopped doing that, they got tired or whatever. Yeah, yeah, but you know they put together more good stuff like that. One of the things that people don't understand. And you know this because you've been on the road a time or two. Uh, it's tough to win on the road. Oh yeah, oh yeah, sure. I'm not making alibis for the guys. Got I don't need to make alibis for Tommy because he makes a lot of money. This is his job. But you know, I've been to all these places and it's tough to win on the road, just as it is when the people come here, right, I mean, those kids in the stands are not going to make it easy on you. No, no, And those aren't your baskets. Yeah, I mean those aren't your baskets. You're playing a new, new place. It looks different, the views different, you've traveled, and the team is pretty darn good too. Wisconsin. It's funny for my for the Loop book that I did recently. Obviously, Mike Montgomery, did you read it or you just oh no, no, no, I read. I read the whole thing. Okay, So Mike, all theirs they were like, you should have probably had that edited. Get the that's that's that's the first bad thing I've heard about the book. That was a great book. I loved it. I mean, I know we're putting a plug in right now. It's shameless. Yeah, but it was a great book. Really. I enjoyed it a lot. Okay, so thank you for the update after clarifying. But Mike Montgomery said, you know, playing at tu Son, He says, uh, you know, how tough was it playing here? He they want here as a number two, number number two in the country. It was going to storm the court. I think it was when there were two. I think I don't think there were one. H It was on a storm the court at their home court when they beat Stafford. That never happens, right, the last time that happened forever? Sure? Uh And he says, you know, I said, how difficult was he playing in Tucson? Yet he says, you know, Steve, Uh, it wasn't about Michale. McHale is Michale because they always had good teams. Yeah right, yeah, you know there's always that Yeah, yeah, yeah, people don't talk about that just I mean, you could have a really bad team and they have a good atmosphere and it won't matter. It won't matter, right, right, He says, you know, we had good teams, but they had very good teams. It wasn't just about McHale. You know, it was about you know, Richard Jefferson, and it was Mike Bibie. These dudes you're was coming was reloading? Sure? Sure, And how do you find a way to beat them? Yeah? That's and that's the other you know, that's that's when Mkale got to be a tough place to play. Yeah, you know, it kind of goes hand in hand there. You know, you get the fans expectations. I mean, the fans are going to go in there on Saturday. Oh, it's gonna be crazy good. Even like even when the younger people, and this has been the case that you were a student there in the early nineties. I think it was people complain on a bunch of old people are there. They don't cut out their Guess what. That's that's been talked about since you were there ninety, right, because guess what, the old people leave and then they give them to the kids and they become old, they become old people. Yeah. The uh, I'll tell you what I've I've seen these old people, you know, rocking that place. Okay, So I don't know if if they you know, you know, are they doing backflips? Are they climbing over seats?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably not, Okay. Are they doing the little roll your hands and put your arms up you know with that to that music. Yeah, they're doing that like crazy man. Yeah, they're they're up there and they're yelling instcramming. I mean place there's nobody who sits in the hands there. It's not sonning. That's our yoga, by the way, it's it's our yoga. It's like pool yoga that you do. We do. We can take a call or two it's so you got about five minutes. Maybe maybe Henry's got me nodding, so yes, uh take a call. How much would you pay it again to Saturdayriday Nights game. I don't know how much I would pay Maybe five maybe, No, I don't pay for two. This isn't it. I don't think this is a have to see game. This is the best game in forever, like, yeah, forever, even though they lost it. We're not playing Kansas here right, No, no, not even highlights even more. It's gonna be a fan if you don't have If you gave up season tickets before this season, shame on you because you've been waiting. You've been waiting for this since the loot time Becausehan didn't play this schedule. Yeah, no, not at all. I mean this is a this is gonna be a great year for basketball. We're gonna we're gonna see some great basket. We may not we may not win all they go home disappointed. Yeah, but this is gonna be We're gonna see some great basketball throughout this I'll rather pay for the tickets and then see great games than just blowout. Yeah. Well, I'd like to see great games that we win but you're you're right, I'd like to see games that we're going to. Wait, I don't want to. I don't want to. Hell, I don't want to play watch. Let me ask you this, because you're you're you're a fair You're a fair fan. You're not a great fan of the team. So so you go and you've seen losses there, haven't you. Sure, Absolutely, you go home and kick the dog. I do not. Do You go home when you win and you embrace the dog. I always embrace the dog. Okay, big dogs win or lose. I'm a big dog. You know what I'm saying. And I know exactly what you're saying. No, I don't you know. Am I disappointed that Arizona loss. Yeah, but it's not the end of the world. Now, I will tell you this if I would have you know, when I saw them play who they played Gazog and we went there, Yeah, rolled that ball out at the end. Yeah, I wanted to go home and kick you. Okay, but it was uh I was. I was disappointed there. That was a disappointing. But that's an NCAA game, Okay, Sure you know that, I understand. Yeah, there's games that matter, there's there's games that are like, Okay, we're playing U C l A for the PAC twelve Championship. Okay, that game matters, Okay, you you you really want it. You're very disappointed when you lose that game, and that what does that mean? Very what does that mean? You're down? You're like, oh, that's a bummer, and then you can't give me a but like everything's okay, right, yeah, I mean it's not. It's not the end of the world. I mean there are people that make it the end of the world. I tell you, you know, what's really what's really killing it and what's really making people the end of the world is this betting. Oh that's you can just go to the game. If you go to the game and watch the people, you look the over under the spread, and they're elated or not elated at the end of the game, give me each other high fives, and he says what they won by twenty five and then you say, oh, the over was right exactly. It's like Justin Jefferson gets up there and it's like going, look, I don't care about your fantasy team. Okay, I'm here trying to win a football game. It's like gonna quit telling me that I've got to score more points because for your damn fantasy game. Yeah, yeah, I don't get that. Yeah, I don't get that. That's I tell you what we talk about ni L and transferport on ruining sports. That's gonna ruin sports bigger than hell. You're you know, you're right, You're right. I don't do that stuff because to me, it's silly, it's geek league. But hey, I know a few know. You know, Hey, you want to you want to bet one team's gonna win and the other team's gonna lose. Okay, Yeah, I got that. Okay, that's fine. You know, betting the individual especially individual college students, who man, when you're just like going, you're gonna get twelve, this guy's gonna get twelve rebounds, and uh man, I'll tell you what you're You're going into dangerous territory here because these guys see that, you know, and it's like, okay, well, yeah I can go I can go under that. No, we've seen that before. Oh yeah, there's a natural tendency. What was that the Notre Dame swim team or something like that. Yeah, they did. They didn't know that. They've been on swim. They're doing baseball. They're doing the baseball. Guy's got in trouble. Never a couple of years ago Cincinnati I thing or whatever it was, I can't remember. Yeah, there's a big betting well, Notre Dame. They were betting on the swim. Swim. Henry, give me the hey sign. What are you doing? Okay, thank you, Henry. We got to go. Great shot, great shot shot today. Mike to stop talking better stuff today. Yeah, tomorrow. I apologize now in case I screw up the board. Uh, but we should have some guests tomorrow and then Wednesday. Again. I'm trying to get whom stoppa chakour for Wednesday. We haven't talked to him in front never, so he looks like he might come on. I'm not sure yet, So I'll talk to you guys tomorrow. Thanks Henry,