Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to my podcast. This is an audio version of my videos available to make listening to my stuff in the background easier than YouTube makes it. But since my videos are primarily made for YouTube, there may be occasional references to visual materials. If you'd like this podcast ad free, you can join us on Patreon app, Patreon dot com, slash Vice Rhino. Please enjoy.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to my channel Vice Rhino. Here today we're looking at a video on Greg Cochal's channel Stand to Reason. In this one, he's answering a listener question about how he knows that the Bible is true and not some other religious text. This is something that I've often wondered myself, and in my experience, apologists mostly just avoid this question, but when they do address it, it is often in one of two ways. Either they will get hyper focused on debunking one single non Christian religion, usually Islam. See David Wood and Michael Jones for examples of that. And the other is to pick some arbitrary attribute that the Christian God has that the gods of other religions don't, and then decide that a god has to have that attribute in order to exist. This can be many things, wanting a personal relationship with human beings, providing blanket salvation for original sin, the supposed unity of the message of scriptures written by dozens of people spanning hundreds of years, stuff like that. So let's see how Greg handles it.
Speaker 3: Okay, this question comes from Niggle.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna throw this out there. That person should change their screen name. At least I hope that's the screen name. If it's a real name, then they should either change that or go by their middle name or something. I know that etymologically speaking, it's not related to the word that I'm sure everybody thought of when they first heard it. But like the fact that I don't even need to tell you what that word is and you know exactly what I'm talking about, even if you didn't think of it immediately yourself, shows that changing it would be a good idea.
Speaker 3: A friend asked why he should pay any heed to the Bible, saying it's just one of many ancient holy books. How can I trust it is special?
Speaker 2: I go a bit further than that. It's not just that it's one of many ancient holy books. It's also that it has written just like any other holy book with mistakes and contradictions and plot contrivances and so on. There is nothing that really sets it apart in a way that speaks to its veracity.
Speaker 4: Well, this to me is similar when people ask the question there were three hundred gods. You look at all the religion and what makes you think yours is the right god? There are all these holy books? What makes you think yours is the right book?
Speaker 2: Correct? We are looking for you to explain not only why you believe what you believe, but also how you ruled out all the other religions.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, there's not all these holy books.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about, greg, There's the Quran, the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Patakas, the Sutras, the Talmud, the Mishnah. And that isn't even an exhaustive list of the sacred texts of religions that are still widely practiced today. If we open the doors to ancient religions, then there's a whole ass Wikipedia list going over the texts of all kinds of religions, from the ancient Egyptian ones to the Etruscans to the pre Columbian Americas and everything in between. I guess Greg's way of making the Christian text seem special is by ignoring the very existence of all the sacred texts of every other religion to have ever existed.
Speaker 4: In fact, I had a conversation with Wes Huff a couple months ago on this question. Do ancient Nerisium religions each have their own revealed scripture?
Speaker 2: He said, no, Ah, So the thing that you're latching onto that makes Christianity special is that its scripture was revealed by God and that it took place in the ancient Near East for some reason. But if we ignore the weird region lock that He's putting on this for some reason, then that means that at the very least, Islam and Hinduism are also special. The Quran is supposed to be a direct revelation from Allah, and the Vedas are thought by Hindus to be the result of God providing supernatural wisdom to the scholars that wrote them. Side note, Hindus actually have a polytheism that could technically be monotheism depending on how you look at it. Thing going on that is kind of similar to the Christian God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost are three independent individuals who are also all God. But also there's only one God and he is all three of them thing. So in Hinduism, Brahman is God, infinite and all encompassing. Different aspects of divine truth are represented by the God's lowercase G that manifests from Brahman. But back on topic, all this amounts to is you saying I think that if there is a true religion, then the God of that religion would have provided direct revelation of some kind, which ultimately says that you are taking your idea of what you think God should be and using that to determine which religion is correct, which comes pretty damn close to what I've been accused of doing when I say that God should reveal himself to everyone in order to end the debate about his existence once and for all. God doesn't need to conform to my ideas of what he should do. He's God. I'm just a lowly human. Well, maybe the real God is the Hindu idea of Brahman and Christianity was merely provided as a way for people of Greg's temperament to be able to worship the real God. Each religion's gods are just like rays of the Sun. After all, they are not the whole Sun in and of themselves, but they share in origin, and if you trace their path backward, they will take you back to the real God.
Speaker 1: Brahmin.
Speaker 2: Honestly, that makes a lot more sense to me than the petty asshole that is the Christian God. Inasmuch as an infinite being would actually care about us worshiping it, why would it care what path we take to get there? Would it not make sense to provide different paths to cater to different people's needs and temperaments, And why would such a being feel the need to infinitely torture people for using the wrong path? Greg, you're selling me on Hinduism here.
Speaker 4: There are sometimes there are. He used a special word, but like prophets or seers that will make proclamations, But there's no delivered scripture of their God revealing himself to people in any any particular way. So characteristically this is not true.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are non Christian religions with revealed scripture. You're just wrong here. I mean, maybe he's just ignorant. I could see it being a case of him just never having bothered looking into it and so trusting other Christian apologists when they say stuff like that. But Christian apologists are a deceitful bunch. You would do well not to trust them. To that end, I'm not sure that I trust that Greg is actually just ignorant, given that it's literally his job to note like this. If he's not lying, he is massively incompetent.
Speaker 4: Now you have the Koran. The Koran is written in a seventh century after Christ.
Speaker 2: So the New Testament was written in the first century, more than a thousand years after the Rigveda. If older means true, then Hinduism wins again because the Rigveda is older than even the oldest book of the Old Testament.
Speaker 4: You know, so seventh and eighth I guess. So you you know it's not really contemporaneous.
Speaker 2: Contemporaneous with what Jesus is. One of your qualifications for something being an actual holy book revealed by God that it had to have been written close to the life of Jesus, because then you can throw out most of the Old Testament as well. I mean, I'm not really surprised that you landed on Christianity if one of your requirements for something to be a legitimate holy book is that it had to have been written sometime close to when Jesus lived. It's not exactly a coincidence that most of the jesus Centric books were written closer to the time of Jesus than most of the non jesus Centric books, but I could just as easily flip this around. Clearly, the Quran is the real book of scripture because it was written closer to the time of Mohammad than any other holy book.
Speaker 4: So the Bible is unique here. The Hebrew and the Christian scriptures are unique in this regard. There are some other things that were there, But it isn't like everybody's got their book.
Speaker 2: Everybody does have their book. Some religions just don't pretend that their book is absolutely infallible, which again is another mark in their favor, as the Bible is quite clearly not infallible, even though Christians say it is.
Speaker 4: But we're back to this broader question. You've got a multiplicity of options, why choose one over the other? And the answer is very simple, the reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we figured you had reasons. What you are supposed to be doing here in this video defending your faith is explaining those reasons. Saying the reasons doesn't actually do that.
Speaker 4: The reasons take three hundred gods, I have no reason to think any of those gods are real, and I.
Speaker 2: Have no reason to think that your God is real. And this question was supposed to get you to explain why your God should be given more consideration than those other gods, which you dismiss offhand. And if you don't feel the need to explain that, then why should I feel the need to explain why I don't believe in the Christian God?
Speaker 4: And they all seem to be very much like the human beings who worship them, and just as immoral.
Speaker 2: Dude, you worship a God who, if the Bible is to be believed, both commanded and committed genocide. You worship a god who condone slavery. You worship a God who tortured a guy to win a bet with Satan. You worship a God who describes himself as so jealous that his very name is jealous. In the Exodus story, after your God freed the Hebrews from slavery, the Hebrews wanted to give thanks to the God that saved them, but they didn't know who he was or what his rules were, because he hadn't rever that to them. Yet so they attempted to give thanks by building a golden calf. This attempt to show their gratitude so angered him that he had to be talked down from murdering them all on the spot. Jesus was racist, calling gentiles dogs, and only begrudgingly healing a gentile woman's child, with the act being described as the dog eating the scraps from the table. I could keep going. The God of the Bible is a petulant, spoiled child on a power trip. Just because you refuse to see it doesn't mean it's not there.
Speaker 4: The God of the Bible is very different. He's not the kind of god that you would invent, all right, probably.
Speaker 2: And yet one of the most common defenses of the fact that the Bible, and by extension, the God of the Bible, condoned slavery is the fact that slavery was just a commonplace institution in the culture at the time. So either significant cultural change was impossible for a supposedly omnipotent being, or else it looks very much like this being was invented by people that were part of that culture.
Speaker 4: So, and one has to look, is there any good reason to believe one option over the other.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, that question is what made me an atheist rather than a member of a different religion or an agnostic. When I left Christianity, I took a look at the other options and found that they all had many of the same problems as Christianity. I have yet to see any religion that actually stands out from the crowd, and that includes Christianity. In fact, as a former Christian, I guarantee you that I put a lot more time and effort into figuring out whether there were good reasons to believe in the Christian God than I did for any other gods, and I still came back with nothing.
Speaker 4: Look, if somebody goes in he's got a pain, goes to the doctor, you have a bunch of doctors look at him, okay, and you have all different ideas about what's wrong with him. Okay. How does he decide which is the accurate diagnosis. He's got to think about the particulars and the reasons that the doctors give and find out which one's the most persuasive.
Speaker 2: Well, in most cases, the doctors would all likely agree on the cause because they follow the evidence to the apparent conclusion. And in the cases where there is disagreement, it's not about persuasion, it's about knowledge. The doctors don't know enough to give a conclusive diagnosis, so there will be several potential diagnoses which are then ruled out, not because of how charismatic one of the doctors happen to be, but based on probability. Problem X happens more frequently in someone in your demographic than problem why, so we will start treating for X and be prepared to pivot if the treatment doesn't work. You are the alternative medicine quack in the corner trying to sell the guy ivermectin for his broken leg and insisting that because the actual doctors are usually overworked and so don't have a lot of time to spend on him personally, they must not care about him. You do, You're willing to spend so much more time with him, So come and buy the ivermectin. It'll cure what ails you. No matter what what ails you might be, does you being more persuasive or charismatic make the ivermectin a good treatment for a broken leg? Because that's your argument for choosing a religion. As far as I can see.
Speaker 4: We go through this process all the time of trying to decide between options, and we use our thinking and reason to do so.
Speaker 2: And what I did that with regards to religion, I wound up an atheist.
Speaker 3: So so can you briefly say what those six things are?
Speaker 4: Just in well, it has that I.
Speaker 2: Skipped it, but just for context, the six things that she's asking him about are the six evidences that show that the Bible has supernatural fingerprints. His words, not mine, but he seemed like he was just going to say there's six reasons without actually elaborating as to what those reasons are. So I'm glad she asked him that.
Speaker 4: The Fulfilled Prophecy it does not have fulfilled prophecy.
Speaker 2: It has a list of over three hundred supposed prophecies, most of which, in my experience, weren't actually written as prophecies originally, and all of which, in my experience, are either too vague to be useful or else the authors of the books detailing the events that fulfill them left clues that indicate that they were actively looking for prophecies to fulfill when writing their stories. As an example, let's go through the ritual that I usually reserve, specifically for when someone mentions the three hundred prophecies, Roll the dice and see how prophetic it is. I got a ninety one this time, and number ninety one is Psalm twenty two to twenty two, and this verse is supposed to be a prophecy of Jesus resurrection being declared. Before I get into it, though, I would just like to point out a little bit of what appears to be list patting going on. This list contains eighteen prophecies that all come from Psalm twenty two, many of which involve duplicate or overlapping verses. I would argue that with so many prophecies so close together, it would be more appropriate to treat this entire Psalm as one single prophecy. But no matter twenty two to twenty two is predicting that Jesus resurrection would be declared. It reads quote, I will tell of your name to my brothers in the midst of the congregation, I will praise you. I really don't see how you get from that to proclaiming a specific person's resurrection in the future. This is essentially just the author saying I'm gonna go to church sometime in the midst of the congregation, I will worship God. Yeah, that's what you do when you're in the congregation, because that's what those words mean. See what I mean though, Like, this isn't even a prophecy. It's just a guy saying I'm gonna do this thing later. And this thing has nothing to do with a resurrection.
Speaker 4: It has an amazing unity from Genesis to revel in terms of the development of what I call the story of reality.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how a book so riddled with contradictions could be said to have a unity, especially given that some ofhow we determine authorship is by finding points of disunity. Sometimes this is within a single text, as with the books of the Pentituke. Sometimes it's when comparing text, as with the writings of Paul and the pseudo Apigrifha.
Speaker 4: It has definite, profound insight into the big issues, the big questions.
Speaker 2: One of the go to examples for apologists of the Bible being profound or insightful is the Golden Rule, something which could be found in most religions, many of which predate Christianity. But this also ties into what I said about slavery. Earlier. Apologists often defend slavery in the Bible by talking about how it was just a normal part of the culture, so God put regulations on it to stop it from being too bad.
Speaker 4: Back then, everybody had slaves. The whole world had slaves. You either a slave or a slave, basically. Well, I guess there might have been a middle class, but not much one. But so what God does in the law is he regulates it to minimize the negative impact.
Speaker 2: But and hear me out here, would completely outlying slavery in a society that considered it normal not be a powerful example of something profound or insightful. I still don't think it would rise to the level of supernatural, but at least then it wouldn't directly contradict your point here.
Speaker 4: That have to do with maybe the existential elements. Who are we, where we're going? Why are we important? Is there a God? Is there morality? Whatever?
Speaker 2: All religions deal with those questions. They just don't all have the same answer. So you picked the one with the answer that you.
Speaker 4: Like best, and then it answers those questions in a way that resonates with our deepest intuitions about the way the world is. Seems to fit. Okay, that's the third one.
Speaker 2: Maybe it resonates with your deepest intuitions, But given that Christianity is losing members to religious switching faster than any religion on the planet, then I'd go so far as to say that this is not a universal experience.
Speaker 4: Fourth one is it's a historical reliability. So it's a record of God intervening in history to show himself in different ways, most profound in the person of Jesus of Nazareth. But you can actually track the history because there's a lot of detail there, and we can show in many points that the history is accurate to the events they describe, you know, through archaeology and other sources, etc.
Speaker 2: And at what point do we start this history? When a talking snake convinced a dirt man and a rib woman to eat the fruit of a tree that would magically impart knowledge directly into their brains, thus condemning all of humanity for the crime of knowing the difference between good and evil? Would it be when God flooded the entire planet in a way that left no geologic record in order to kill everyone for liking butt stuff or whatever? What about when the Egyptians kept hundreds of thousands of Hebrews as slave for centuries, resulting in a mass migration of these people through the Red Sea without leaving any archaeological trace behind either of their enslavement or their subsequent migration. Now, are there some historically accurate details that can be found in various places throughout the Bible. Yes, but there are also some pretty wild inaccuracies that we know for a fact did not happen. So to call the whole collection of books historically accurate is just laughable.
Speaker 4: This is especially true in the life of Jesus of Nazareth.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not for the life of Jesus. The best you can do is point to places that were mentioned in the Gospels that also happen to be real places, and also ponscious Pilot existed, though the other accounts of him paint a very different picture from the Pilot of the Bible, so I would actually add that one to the list of inaccuracies.
Speaker 4: But what's really key in this, as in particular with the Gospels, is that the record to accurate history that we have in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John is a supernatural record of events.
Speaker 2: But how did you determine that Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were actually accurate. There are actually a lot of things that we know they got wrong, So them getting a few place names right isn't really going to do it for me.
Speaker 4: So we have supernatural history that's well attested to by eyewitnesses.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Gospels were all written anonymously, none even claimed to be eyewitnesses. The only eyewitness who wrote any of the New Testament is Paul, and his description of the thing that he witnessed places it firmly in the vision category, not a demonstrable historical event.
Speaker 4: That's the fourth reason. The fifth one is the power of this message, this book, this account of reality, when taken seriously to change and transform lives.
Speaker 2: Again, though literally, every religion changes lives. Winning the lottery changes lives. Watching a good movie can change your life. Help My life significantly changed for the better when I became an atheist. So by that metric, atheism must be true.
Speaker 4: In a very unique fashion.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry I cut it a little too early there. Could you explain what makes it unique?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: Greg?
Speaker 4: And this is universal, doesn't matter where you live, when you live. Christian people who follow this not only are the individual lives changed, but whole cultures are transformed, like the Wesleyan Revival.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make it unique. Man, Every major religion has impacted culture in one way or another.
Speaker 4: And then, finally, the survival of this book through in the midst of tremendous persecution and criticism. Attempts to destroy it physically and through criticism have all failed.
Speaker 2: Okay, I guess we're done explaining the unique way in which Christianity changes lives and the Bible surviving isn't really surprising given the establishment of the Roman Catholic Church. My question here is that if the Bible surviving for so long in spite of occasional attempts to eradicate it is evidence of its truth, then what are the apocryphal books that have survived despite centuries of direct commands from both emperors and popes that they be destroyed. The accounts of the disciples being martyred all came from such books, and apologist seem willing to credulously accept the martyrdom claims, but nothing else from them. But clearly God was protecting them in the face of persecution, right otherwise they would have been wiped out There's also the fact that all of the known manuscripts for the New Testament trace back to the Egyptian manuscript tradition, meaning that despite these books and letters undoubtedly being copied out in many locations, all were lost except for the ones from one specific province of the Roman Empire. It is conceivable that had the other manuscripts survived, our modern New Testament would be completely different than it is now. Of course, there is no actual evidence that it would be different, but it is impossible to say with certainty that it would be the same as to destroying it through criticism. If every claim in the Bible were conclusively shown to be wrong, the Bible would still exist. I'd even go so far as to say that Christians would still exist, given how many Christians deny evolution, which has been conclusively shown to be the process by which life on Earth diversified. Greg is one of those Christians. For the record, though he is willing to grant old ages, he sees evolution as being incompatible with Christianity. Also, for the record, many claims of the Bible have been conclusively shown to be wrong, and Christians do still exist.
Speaker 4: And it continues to be the number one best selling book of all history.
Speaker 2: The holy book of the largest religion on the planet is a top seller. Color me shocked. I wonder if all the Bible's left unread and hotel rooms count toward those numbers. Also, most churches I went to had enough Bibles available for everyone in the congregation to be able to borrow one if they forgot there's at home that day. These are the kinds of shenanigans that are liable to get you a dagger next to your book title on the New York Times bestseller list. So I'm not really impressed by this one.
Speaker 4: And those things taken together, it's a cumulative case.
Speaker 2: Because zero plus zero plus zero plus zero plus zero plus zero equals one.
Speaker 4: Apparently, the supernatural prophecy, the supernatural unity, the supernatural insight, the supernatural events recorded accurately. They are the supernatural change lives, and supernatural survival through time and persecution, taken collectively, is very powerful evidence that this book is not like any other book.
Speaker 2: I feel like the Kuran hits most of those points at least as well as the Bible does.
Speaker 3: What makes it easier to valuate compared to say, another religious text that might just be ideas about how to live, or maybe their ideas about ultimate reality or whatever it is. The thing about the Bible is that it's connected to normal life, like it's connected to history. It's not just one person's ideas that came to them that are untestable.
Speaker 2: You shall not put the Lord your God to the test Deuteronomy six sixteen. It sounds like, not only has she never read her own holy book, but she's also never read another religion's holy book. Greg sounds that way too. For that matter. It's two people who has never given any serious thought to the possibility that any other religion might be true, trying to come up with post talk justification for their lack of thought.
Speaker 3: You can't test somebody's Like if there's a single person who has a vision and says this is how you should live, well, there's not really a way to test if that really came from a supernatural being or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: That sounds an awful lot like Paul. She just described most of the basis for most of the New Testament, and Paul is the only New Testament author who even claims to have been a direct eyewitness to anything resurrection related. Everything else is anonymous authors repeating stories that they heard. Pro tip, don't accidentally describe your own holy book when explaining why you dismiss all the other holy books.
Speaker 3: But if God is acting in history, now, there are so many people involved writing about what's happening and how God is working through what's happening. And we can look back at history and see how these things happened.
Speaker 2: And when we do that, we see that they largely did not happen the way the Bible records them happening. Oops.
Speaker 3: And it's just connected with what is happening in the world. And so there's a way to look at it and see, well, what is the evidence that Jesus rose from the dead? Why should I believe that? It's not just somebody saying there's an afterlife? Okay, well what do I do with that? There's no way to evaluate that.
Speaker 2: Is she for real? How do these people not see it? Why are apologists the least self aware people on the entire planet.
Speaker 3: So we do have a way to look at it and figure out what is true. So does the advantage I think the Bible has.
Speaker 2: H No, the resurrection is just stories written down. There is no evidence for it. There have been many plausible scenarios put forth that explain the beginnings of Christianity with no need for an actual resurrection. But the thing that it all comes down to is the fact that people are capable of writing things down that did not actually happen, And so whatever may have caused these people to feel the need to write these things down doesn't ultimately matter. When looking at it from an evidential standpoint, the question merely becomes one of probability. What is more likely that a dead person came back to life, something that, as far as we can tell, fails to happen one hundred percent of the time, or that some people wrote down a story of things that didn't actually happen, something that we know happens all the time.
Speaker 3: In addition, there's and you mentioned the unity. I think the unity is a great argument because you have all of these authors over fifteen hundred years writing down what all comes together in a cohesive unity.
Speaker 2: Again, that says to me that not only has she not read any other religion's holy books, but she hasn't even read her own. There's not even a cohesive unity in the Gospels, in Mark, Matthew, and Luke, Jesus praised that God take this cup from him because he doesn't want to be crucified. But in John, Jesus is annoyed that anyone would think that he wouldn't be willing to be crucified, saying, shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me? In Mark, Matthew and Luke, a man from Sirene is compelled to carry jesus cross for him, the implication being that his pre crucifixion torture left him two weak to carry it himself. In John, he goes out of his way to mention that Jesus carried his own damn cross, thank you very much. Yet, somehow, despite blatant and by all appearances, purposeful contradiction between the books of the Bible, we are supposed to believe that all of the authors had a unity of message and purpose.
Speaker 3: Of what God has been doing, Who God is, what he requires, what he's like. It all fits together. How does that happen over that period of time, with the changing culture and the different people.
Speaker 2: So if you were to actually read your own Holy Book, you'll see that the character of God does indeed change over time and with the culture. In fact, that's part of how we know that the Pentituke had multiple authors from different cultural traditions. Just looking at the three main sources for Genesis, we have the priestly source P, which is overly concerned with lineage, and, aside from a few of what appear to be scribal errors, never uses the tetragrammaton the four letters Y to HWH that are the name of God and Hebrew. Evidence suggests that the P source is actually a collection of sources that spans several centuries, both pre and post xilic. Funnily enough, the evidence is largely based on the unity of message within the P sources, despite the rather odd is cultural differences that place some parts as preexilic and others as post exilic. The Yaowist source J is concerned with human nature and the higher purpose that lies behind human events. The writing in the J source is so concerned with earthly things that God himself becomes anthropomorphic. He's planting a garden in Eden. He's sitting under a tree eating with Abraham. He's wrestling with Jacob and cheating at it. No less, the Elohist source E is very similar to JAY, but usually has God intervening through angels and dreams rather than getting involved directly as in Jay, or being rather above it all hanging out in heaven as in P. He tends to justify and explain things rather than letting the actions speak for themselves, and there are often contradictions between these sources. For instance, J is the source that has seven pairs of birds and clean animals on the arc, while P only has one pair of each. In Jay, the total duration of the flood is sixty one days. Well in P it is one year and eleven days. To quote Ea Spizer's introduction to the Anchor Bible translation of Genesis, my source for this section. Quote. The very circumstance, however, that our sources exhibit so many mutual disagreements should be enough to suggest that the channels through which much of the material has been handed down were fluid rather than fixed.
Speaker 3: It's because it's all coming from the same God.
Speaker 2: But the nature of that God is different depending on where we're reading, even within single books of the Bible, which is exactly what we would expect of a series of documents composed over centuries by human beings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially when none of those writers have the whole story.
Speaker 2: Fun fact, this is once again, one of the ways we can differentiate between sources in the Pentituke. Some of them had access to the others, but obviously the earlier ones did not have access to the later ones, so we can see corrections, annotations, and responses happening within the text itself.
Speaker 4: They just had a piece and they didn't completely understand it. Abraham, how did Jesus put it? Saw my day and rejoiced. Okay, well, okay, we don't have a lot of content there. We have a promise that we know given to Abraham as to a future fulfillment of a blessing Abraham a little piece, and each piece and this is why this course that we have at Standarison str dot Org.
Speaker 2: You know, I really don't trust this guy to be a good teacher, given that he doesn't seem capable of finishing a thought. But like, does he think that Abraham wrote some of the Bible? He seems to, which is weird because usually the people who don't want to acknowledge the various sources for the Pentituke like to attribute the whole thing to Moses, not Abraham. But I guess it could be that Greg is just taking the story at face value. With no critical thought being put into it, and assuming that when the story said that Abraham was aware of things, that must actually be true for the likely ahistorical person known as Abraham.
Speaker 4: Gets called the Bible fast forward. There's eight sessions fifty minutes each, five zero and it comes with a like one hundred and fifty page syllabus that I put together, and I teach this to show the connectedness from from the very beginning the call of Abraham all the way to the advent of Messiah. It's all connected.
Speaker 2: Obviously, It's all connected. No one is denying that. This is like me saying that the first Star Wars movie is connected to the latest one. It is, obviously. But has there been a consistent theme or message throughout all of the Star Wars media? Absolutely not, And much like Christianity, there have been schisms in the Star Wars fandom over what media is best, what is canon, what is apocryphal, etc. Personally, I hold to originalism. The original trilogy is best, The prequels are okay, but cringy, and Disney Star Wars mostly sucks balls. No idea how and or made it through the Disney everything must be generic and bad filter. But the fact that and Or is good is probably the least controversial Star Wars opinion anyone could have.
Speaker 4: So there you go, and it's very obvious when you kind of go through it. That's the unity you're talking about.
Speaker 2: So if when you say unity you just mean came from the same general culture, so despite the many differences and disagreements, will have some elements in common, then I'd agree. But that's not a supernatural unity. That's the same unity that the Star Wars universe has.
Speaker 3: And just emphasize one more thing that you have in there. It's the insight into human nature that just blows me away sometimes.
Speaker 2: So her favorite bits of the Pentituke must be from the j source, because that's Jay's whole thing. Again, though, there's not any profound insight into human nature that is on a level that requires supernatural intervention, and often it's about on the same level as the other religions. So I don't see how this sets Christianity apart.
Speaker 3: The Bible knows who we are. God's revelation he has us. He knows who we are, and you can see the reality of that, and you can see the weaknesses of people, and you can see what God does through them, and it's just you see how people interact with Jesus, and it's just amazing. You can see the truthfulness of the way it portrays human.
Speaker 4: Being, resonates with our deepest intuitions about reality.
Speaker 2: I would argue that the Buddhist observation that suffering is intrinsically linked with desire is far more profound than anything found in the Bible. So what I got from this video is that there really isn't any reason to give Christianity or the Bible any more consideration than any other religion. It's just the one that Greg and Amy like best. That's it for this one. Today's comment to the Day comes to us from the heretic annihilator nine thousand, who says rejecting Christ causes eternal harm. Think about that one. I'm curious about this one. Who does it cause the harm to The implication seems to be that I would be the one being harmed because I wind up being tortured in hell for attorney, which just kind of shows God to be the immoral monster that atheists commonly say he is. I didn't do him any harm, but like a petulant child with a mean temper, in psychopathy, he throws me into a fire to burn forever because of a minor slight Thanks for watching. I'll be back next Friday with more, but if you need to get Yournino fixed in before then, my live stream with service every Wednesday eight thirty Eastern on my other channel, The Watering Hole. Thanks to Piper for being my editor, and special thanks is always to my patrons, who are the non Christian holy books that are dismissed by the apologists. That is my channel. If you'd like Greg to not actually know much about you, you can join us on Patreon for as little as a dollar per week. Over at patreon dot com, slash vice rhano, or by supporting the channel and one of the other methods Leakstadvice around dot com, which is also where you find links to on my other projects. If for whatever you and you want to send me some off my puebox addresses in the description. See you next time.
Speaker 4: M