Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. We did not mention that today is day one of the conclave.
Speaker 2: I thought it was Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're right, it is. What the hell am I talking about?
Speaker 2: That's all right?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna go on.
Speaker 2: Stop over there.
Speaker 1: It's soup.
Speaker 2: Do you want some?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, no alcohol in that soup? Right, okay?
Speaker 4: So today is the first day of conclave. Wednesday I saw, like handle you do a little. He's had a very good career. I'll take it. So Wednesday is the beginning of Conklin, shut up, we'll talk about it Wednesday.
Speaker 5: Then.
Speaker 1: Look now we're all ready to go. We're ready on a Monday for Wednesday. What the hell, let's do the swamp.
Speaker 2: I'm not kissing that here.
Speaker 6: We got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 2: The other side never quits.
Speaker 6: So what I'm not going anywhere?
Speaker 3: So now you train the squaw.
Speaker 2: I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 5: You know, Americans have always been going president, but they're not stupid.
Speaker 7: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth whether people voted for you were not swamp watch, They're all, well, let's let's go.
Speaker 2: What just go on?
Speaker 1: If I do decide to have a drink at eleven oh seven am and the conclave is what I decided to talk about, I think there's bigger, bigger fish to fry.
Speaker 7: Well, I was gonna let it happen. Oh you were, yeah, Well that's why I asked what was in the cup? Is if something was going down. I didn't want to be the I didn't want to be the one to like derail it right.
Speaker 2: Away for two reasons.
Speaker 7: One for the sheer entertainment of what was about to happen, and second, I didn't want it to be said so jarring to you.
Speaker 2: I wanted you to feel.
Speaker 1: Like this was a comfortable place, say space, Yeah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Good Lord. Let's do this in reverse order.
Speaker 7: The President just wrapped up an Oval Office event where he talked about the NFL Draft is coming to Washington, d C. He made the announcement with Roger Goodell, the head of the NFL, and the commissioner, I should say same thing, and then the owner of the Washington Commanders, and they gave him the whole you know, number forty seven jersey and everything for the Washington Commanders. Muriel Bowser, the mayor of d C, was up there. I don't think she wanted to be, but.
Speaker 1: She was there, and I said it to you. I'll say it to you off here. And I don't like the optics of an adult in power looking like a petulant teenager, because it would be not cool for them to be delighted to be in the presence of the President of the United States, no matter who that president is.
Speaker 2: In the office. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I think that the both parties need to get over that. You need to get over the we on both sides. We didn't even talk about this last week, but the hug that Gretchen Whitmer gave to President Trump when he got off of Air Force when he was doing his one hundred days.
Speaker 2: He saw the headline I did not click.
Speaker 7: There's articles abound about political hugs that have gone awry, where one person from one party extends some sort of warm welcome to someone from the other party and it just torpedoes their career when it shouldn't and it goes I mean it probably goes back decades. But the one of the earlier ones that I saw was Governor Rick Scott when he was the governor of Florida, welcoming Barack Obama with just a hug and he just introduced he was introducing him at some speech he was giving some event, ladies and gentlemen, the presidents.
Speaker 2: I mean, just not a d about it. It just announced the president.
Speaker 7: And then everybody thought Rick Scott had turned tables and was like, oh, you're not.
Speaker 2: You're a Republican name only, and you can't.
Speaker 7: That's the kind of stuff that's that's the kind of stuff that is going to destroy it this country is the little tiny divisions like that, These what should be cordial interactions between people, others want to see them absolutely laced with vitriol and.
Speaker 2: Fangs and fists. That's not how we get things done.
Speaker 1: Just because you disagree with somebody doesn't mean they're an evil person. Yeah, you know, and you get you don't get far with that kind of thinking of not treating people like they're humans and just seeing where you find where.
Speaker 2: You differ on both sides.
Speaker 7: That's the thing is yeah, all right, So at that event at the Oval office. Just a few minutes ago, President Trump was asked about about this Alcatraz thing. He tweeted over the weekend he wants to reopen bigger, better, beautifuller Alcatraz.
Speaker 6: Nobody's ever escaped from Alcatraz and just represented something strong having to do with law and order. We need law and order in this country, and so we're going to look at it. Some of the people up here are going to be working very hard on that, and we had a little conversation.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be very interesting.
Speaker 6: We'll see if we can bring it back in large form add a lot, but I think it represents something right now. It's a big hulk that's sitting there, rusting and rotting.
Speaker 2: Very uh.
Speaker 6: You look at it, it's sort of you saw that picture that was put out. It's sort of amazing, But it sort of represents something that's both horrible and beautiful and strong and miserable weak.
Speaker 2: It's got a lot of it's got.
Speaker 6: A lot of qualities that are interesting, and I think they make a point.
Speaker 1: And I think that's exactly what I determined to be his motivation when we talked about this in the first hour, is it is a symbol of when law and order meant something and it was awful, and you went to prison, it was awful, and we've moved away from that. The way he opens it with no one escaped Alcatraz, it sounds like we're suffering through some sort of national escape epidemic of people escaping prisons. That's clearly not the case. But prisons have become lighter and kinder and softer, and sending people to prison has become more soft. Whether you're looking at other diversion programs and things. They don't throw the book at you nearly the way you used to think they threw the book at you. And I think that he's talking about that, and hearkening back to times when law and order really did mean something and it was strong in this country, And I think that's what he's saying. Turning Alcatraz into a workable prison is not a workable idea. However, logistically it's just not feasible to do so. It wasn't feasible to do so in nineteen sixty two when it closed its doors, and it's certainly a complete tear down now. The money it would cost not to run things there, but just to get things back up and running is punitive at best. That's why it's like the high speed rail. Well, that's about how much sense it makes now you get it. Really, it's true.
Speaker 7: Well, and the difference between that between those two is that Alcatraz currently makes money. They don't have to house people, they don't have to bring in food and water, they don't have to transport prisoners back and forth. It's just tourists that brings in millions of dollars every year. I don't know why you would scuttle that just for the symbol that it is. The other big deal that came out over the weekend is President Trump sat down with Kristen Welker from Meet the Press and was asked specifically about the immigration issues that are going on, the court fights that are surrounding, specifically the Kilmar Abrego Garcia case. This is the guy from Maryland sent to El Salvador. Was he sent unintentionally? Like the Trump administration has said, Do they have the power to get him back? Can they be compelled by the Supreme Court to get him back?
Speaker 2: Your Secretary of State says, everyone who's here citizens and non citizens to serve due process. Do you agree? I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. I don't know. Well, the Fifth Amendment, I don't know.
Speaker 6: It seems it seems it might say that. But if you're talking about that, then we'd have to have a million or two million or three million trials.
Speaker 7: Uh, you're never going to pick Yes, you're never going to pin this guy down now, certainly.
Speaker 1: Not on the minushav a constitution. Who is coming at this president to me? See? To me, that is just such easy gotcha.
Speaker 2: Journalism on her part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you're gonna confront this president with the Constitution, and I understand the argument, Well, he's the president. Sorry, I won't do that. That's disrespectful. Well, he is the president of the United States. He should be well versed on the Constitution. Yes, let's let's go deeper into the should be bucket because it is vast, But that's not what we have. So let's readjust let's pivot accordingly. To come at this president with a constitution and to try to ail him down on what he thinks about the interpretation of the Constitution is an easy gotcha question that you're going to get the answer of. Well, I don't know, Maybe we throw it out of course you're going to get that. That's not clever, that's not and you've generated the headlines. You've generated the headlines, and that's it.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't go to this president for somebody to break down the Constitution for me and what it means in twenty twenty five and what parts should be upheld and what should we take a closer look at. That's not for this guy to decide. Unfortunately, this guy is the president. But come on, I think we all know what we're going to get when we go to that well up next? Are we seeing the end of American pop culture? Are we in the bad parts right now? This is the darkness before the lights finally go out. When was the golden era of pop culture in America?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: I think it depends on how old you are.
Speaker 7: If you're sixty, then the late sixties, probably early seventies was the epitome of pop culture post war, you know. If you're younger than that, eighties, I don't know. I think it depends on when you were alive.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Did you hear Warren Buffett's sound clip of him saying it's time to hang it up.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it's time to hang out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was exactly my thought as well. My goodness, I mean, what a what a run? What ain't freaking run?
Speaker 2: Ninety four? Two ninety two?
Speaker 1: Well, well potatoes, Patatas six decades, my god.
Speaker 2: Running Berkshire Hathaway.
Speaker 7: Bottom of the hour, we'll talk about telephone etiquette. Landlines are coming back because we need to teach kids how to use.
Speaker 2: The telephone telephone, telephone.
Speaker 1: Why is it that they need a physical phone to learn etiquette.
Speaker 7: With I don't know, because we're big, dumb animals and there are weird triggers like that, Or it's the people who are teaching telephone etiquette feel like that was the last time we had good telephone etiquette.
Speaker 2: So maybe that's why. Maybe that's why.
Speaker 7: Maybe it's like teaching somebody to drive, but doing it on a stick shift as opposed to an automatic transmission.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: Older people are delightful on the telephone, aren't they. Yeah, they really are, more so I think than even in person. People that are of an older generation are delightful on the phone.
Speaker 2: How old would you say.
Speaker 1: I would say seventies, sixties, seventies. There's like there's different bar for behavior. You're awful on the telephone, I know, because there's two Okay, what do you that's not fair. First of all, I have no idea because I don't spend much time on the phone. I say, since there was something going on over there, So I decided to throw this little bait in the water.
Speaker 7: If you text me on a Sunday morning, and then if you were to have called me, there's two reasons why you would call me something awful. That's why I just text you. I know that's something awful has happened, or I'm not going to be to work, yes, and because awful that happened, So that's going to be an that's gonna be an awful phone call. Most of I shouldn't even say most of the time. A lot of the times that's my from me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when you pick up the phone for me, it's most likely what I hear is this, Yes.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's because something has happened. When you called me last week, the last time you called me is because you started a fire right then. I didn't even answer the phone. Which would have been bad, I assumed had you start it an actual fire.
Speaker 1: That was the only reason I called you when I started the fire in the home was because you had talked earlier in the day about how I was kind of in a mood where I was going to set something on fire, or are you going to set the building on fire? Or you had made some mention about fire, and I was like, you're crazy, what are you talking about? I'm fine, And then I went home and promptly started a fire. So I wanted you to have the payoff of your premonition.
Speaker 7: There's an article in The Atlantic magazine about the end of American pop culture, and there's an interesting way to look at this argument that we are right now in one of the worst eras when it comes to pop American specific American pop culture.
Speaker 1: Well, you think about pop culture, what do you think about You think about music, trends, fashion, right, my movies, things like that. A lot of it is meme culture, a lot of it's TikTok culture. Right, It's just changed. It's changed from what we remember.
Speaker 2: But is it good? We can can you put a value like that? That's what I mean.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we like to think about when we have celebrated eighties and nineties entertainment movies, TV shows and things like that, there were there was a very different attitude towards those things because there was a built in waiting period. Whether it was a TV show like you said, last week, we talked about did you see what happened on Seinfeld last night? That was the discussion every Friday at school or at college or at work. What did you watch Seinfeld last night? Of course I watched Seinfeld last night. Of course it was hilarious. But now it's have you seen this entire season of did you sit on your.
Speaker 1: Couch for nine hours? Like I did?
Speaker 2: On Sunday? Oh?
Speaker 1: Man plays into so many different ills of society, doesn't it well?
Speaker 7: And I think that there was a we had a different attitude back then. If you had, it was the delayed gratification of whatever. The album didn't come out until June. You knew when it was coming out. They didn't preview it with singles at least that were available to you. You could hear it on the radio, but you couldn't go out and buy that single necessarily before the big album came out.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: The anticipation is a fantastic feeling. Look no further than Carly Simon. But anticipation is something nobody feels anymore because we're instantly gratified with everything right, there is no anticipation. The only anticipation that remains really is maybe waiting to go on a trip if that's your thing.
Speaker 2: If you're into travel, sure, the countdown to your vacation.
Speaker 1: Everything else is just it's right here, you want it now, you got it, your tomorrow.
Speaker 7: They also describe the explosion of creativity and creative expression in the United States right now. More than five hundred scripted TV shows get made every single year, and get this, streaming services add about one hundred thousand songs every single Well, what.
Speaker 1: Does that mean for the quality? Right, let's talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 8: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: I know you think you bested me. Oh okay, but I will raise the bar to women who like cars.
Speaker 2: This is for you, right, there's such a thing.
Speaker 1: Dozens. That's a funny word in this context. Dozens of women gathered over the weekend in Dubai to take part in a car rally organized by the area's first ever all female supercar owners club, the Arabian Gazelles thirty women.
Speaker 2: In the Old Country. You got thirty women into cars? Well, I mean they're not They're not allowed, you know. Yeah, the whole bears that we were talking about.
Speaker 7: This article from Spencer Cornhabra the worst ever era of American pop culture and just in terms of are we you know, movies all sound the same, TV shows all sound the same. Art is the same as it used to be, and a lot of times the people that produce that kind of entertainment for us are relying on the old things to bring us back. I mean, they just re released was it, Phantom Menace, one of the Star Wars movies, and it made millions of dollars at the box office. Everybody's seen that. We've all seen it. We've all seen it, and we still will pay money for the things that we've seen before. They also, I had mentioned that there's about one hundred thousand songs reportedly every day added to streaming services, and I found this interesting. In twenty twenty four, new releases accounted for a little more than a quarter of all of the albums.
Speaker 2: Consumed in the United States.
Speaker 7: Just a quarter that every year a greater and greater percentage of the album that are streamed online would be considered catalog music means at least eighteen months old.
Speaker 1: Well. In three twelve CE, the Roman Senate ordered the construction of a monument called the Arch of Constantine. It incorporated pieces from older monuments built in more glorious times for the empire, which had begun its centuary a century's long decline. This is a metaphor for modern culture. The Arch is the TV and film industry enamored of reboots, spin offs, the formulaic genre. Fair like you were talking about.
Speaker 7: I love this one line where he talks about Broadway theaters subsist on stunt cast revivals of old war horses. One of those that's going on right now is Glengarry Glenn Ross. Ye asked that includes stand up comedians at Academy Award winning actors. It's not just a bunch of up and coming actors that you used to see on Broadway. These are people that are kind of crossing genres their word stunt cast in these shows. Does this mean that we're declining? Does it mean we hit a slow spot when it comes to innovation?
Speaker 1: I'm sure we are at the end of creativity. Have we done all of the things?
Speaker 7: If it's possible, and if artificial intelligence continues to progress at the level that it does, we're really screwed because no one's going to want to even put brain energy. They're not going to want to put the calories into thinking about creative endeavors. If all we have to do is simply ask Ai to make something for us.
Speaker 1: I think the we're going to see the pendulum swing here. You and I were talking off the air. I was lamenting about the decline of production in radio. It could be podcasts, it could be radio news, what have you. When I started, there were a lot of reporters and anchors that were obsessed and it was so much fun to listen to when it came to production elements, whether it was just an ear of sound, of taking ambient sound that runs under a sound bite and carrying it through your entire piece as a reporter or an anchor or what have you. There was so much more of that. It felt like we were constantly trying to one up each other when it came to making a pleasing sound for the ear, something coming out of the radio, something that made you go huh, you know, or just wow, that's a really clear sound or really good sound, or really well put together things like that. And now we're kind of in this era of just kind of bare bones. When you listen to even at the onset of podcasts, and a couple of them come to mind, the podcast of the man who made all those clocks in the South or whatever. You know, there's just certain things where the when the production is good, it just sings, it just stands out. And now we're kind of in this like bare bones production land. It seems like a lot that I do as town. Yeah, when I listened to radio, I'm just kind of like, where where's all the fun production or not even fun, just any production whatsoever. And I think that that's just the pendulum swinging, and I think it'll swing back when it comes to It's like fashion, you know, we go from minimalists to super creative and super colorful and then back to grays and mobs and you know, and I think that right now with culture, we're just in this weird phase where you feel like everything's been done and so you know, here's a meme for you.
Speaker 2: Here's a meme here's a TikTok from T eighty three.
Speaker 7: Right, I mean the Kate Bush song that came back and charted again thirty seven years after it charted the first time. Yeah, because it was on a TV show which also was a was a I guess, an honorific to the old eighties.
Speaker 2: You know, movies that we saw and stranger things.
Speaker 7: So up next, the best questions for your first date.
Speaker 8: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Do you have a jearity question? You're damn right.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: A band together for two hundred dollars, often part of Sinco to Mayo celebrations. This type of band has a name. Oh, this is so stupid. This type of band has a name that may derive from a word for marriage. I did not know that.
Speaker 2: Wait, you don't know the answer. You can't have to go back again.
Speaker 1: Sinko to my own And what more do you need to know? Oh my goodness, you are that white. You're whiter than white. Probably very occrey band. Oh all right, I didn't. Okay, well allow that.
Speaker 2: We asked her earlier.
Speaker 7: What is what is an absolutely drop dead important question to ask on the first date.
Speaker 1: Yes, what did we get? Did we get responses?
Speaker 7: We got a bunch. We got a bunch and some of them are good, some of them are bad. We'll just tell you that.
Speaker 2: You for words, what's your credit score? Oh man?
Speaker 1: Do you need to know that on a first date?
Speaker 2: Like that should be something you ask at the altar, right at the altar. No, you could do that later.
Speaker 7: I mean you do that after the first date, but before the altar, right, But I would put it closer to the altar. Yeah, I mean this day and age. Well, here's the thing. You hang out with somebody enough, you kind of get an idea of where they sit financially. You do, and you could tell if they're lying about stuff. Some people are just quiet. They don't talk about it and they don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 1: If they don't have betting, you can bet their credit scores. Somewhere around six.
Speaker 2: You have a personal story. Let's share all about that.
Speaker 5: Gary and Shannon. The thing I ask of a woman first thing her on a first date is what's your relationship like with your dad?
Speaker 1: Oh, Jesus, Mary and jo your dad do and what is your relationship with him? Excuse me that I reveal itself too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, makes a big difference. Yeah, how the woman teaches, how the woman interacts with their dad.
Speaker 1: I will say this, Excuse me, eventually, I got some chicken that went down the wrong pipe. What there's nothing dirty about that?
Speaker 2: I didn't say there was.
Speaker 1: Okay, the look on your face says, you just said something really dirty and you don't even know it. I will say this, I think that the way a man talks about his mother is very important to me. It always has been. Because if you hook up with a guy who hates his mother.
Speaker 7: Only well I mean to that, there's a lot that's good.
Speaker 2: Just let me know when you're done choking on your chicken over there. Hey, guys, I think a good question on a first date for the ladies would be what kind of relationship do you have with your mother?
Speaker 7: See that's the opposite. I mean it's not entirely the opposite, but it is another version of it.
Speaker 3: Hey, Gary Shannon. I just keep it simple, and when I sat down with a woman and just say, hey, how was your day to day?
Speaker 2: Just keep it simple and see where it goes from there.
Speaker 7: What would you think about that someone just the very basic how is your day?
Speaker 2: Today and then see how they respond.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get into any trouble here.
Speaker 2: I just think that's all.
Speaker 1: I think it's I'm lazy.
Speaker 2: I think it's hey, Garan Channon. My go to question on the first stage is you're not a dude?
Speaker 3: Are you always want to lead with that to make sure have a great because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these days, what's going on under there? Below the table? Oh here's here's this one's even better.
Speaker 8: I would say, do you listen to the Gary and Shannon Joe UK if I also.
Speaker 5: Known, if you could hear it on it?
Speaker 2: Are iHeartRadio?
Speaker 5: And if she says no, then I know that.
Speaker 3: She's forget it. I'm walking right there, I'm leaving the table.
Speaker 1: Now, that's not how you look at it. You get to expose her to the Gary and Shannon Show, and then she loves you even more for opening her eyes to something she didn't know existence.
Speaker 2: Like a band she'd never heard of.
Speaker 1: Love Hi, Gary and Shannon. I have seen her from San Pedro, A long time listener.
Speaker 2: Thank you. The best question is what makes you happy? Has and I have been married for twenty one years? Good?
Speaker 1: What if he doesn't know what makes them happy?
Speaker 2: Well, isn't that.
Speaker 7: I mean, you're not necessarily asking the question to get the answer. You're asking the question to see how they process what the answer is.
Speaker 1: You know, all of this is making me feel like I would rather jump off a building than go on first on.
Speaker 2: A first question would.
Speaker 5: Be if you ever been in jail or prison?
Speaker 2: So that sounds unfair, Yeah, but you would have a funny story. You're like, well, not real jail, but I.
Speaker 1: You a bit about my Disneyland story. Yeah, everyone wants to hear that.
Speaker 3: Gerian Shannon. My idea of a best date question would be if you didn't have any responsibilities to job, kids, animals, family, whatever, what would you do on a day to yourself? Describe what you'd want to do for that full day.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. Yeah, that is a good one.
Speaker 1: I also feel like if you're on your first date, you shouldn't have to ask questions like a successful first date, but maybe that's just because I don't shut out.
Speaker 2: Conversation would just flow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean if you've got enough. If you don't have enough to talk about to get you through a first date, that's not the person for you. If you're not comfortable enough to where the conversation flows.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but there's gonna be even in a normal conversation that does flow, there's gonna be some lulls perhaps in the conversation.
Speaker 2: Sure, so you just.
Speaker 7: Have a couple, but it's your first date, a couple locked and loaded just in case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's why I just feel like if I hear a canned question, oh yeah, to me, that's a red flat.
Speaker 7: And that I understand, Like you did you read that out of a book? That's like, yeah, top ten questions to ask a first date.
Speaker 1: I know I should ask how she feels about her father.
Speaker 7: I don't have to say it like that, but you could ask about so, what's your face?
Speaker 2: What do you sure see? That's not that's a better version.
Speaker 7: But you're listening for the red flag, the red flags about well, my dad and I never really got along or something.
Speaker 3: What would you like to have put on your tombstone for the best question on a day?
Speaker 2: That's that's an awful question.
Speaker 1: It's very morbid, sir, good lord.
Speaker 7: Sorry, Green River Killer didn't realize they had talkback there. All right, all of our trending stories coming up next. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app