Speaker 1: Oh well, thats are.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to the Cult of Conspiracy. I am Jacob. That's right, that's right. Jonathan is out of pocket for this particular episode, so my amazing friend and co host Raven Lee is gonna be filling in the gap on this one. And as a matter of fact, she's the one that brought this next topic to me. We were doing some things, taking down some Halloween decorations, and the conversation came up about mosquito trucks and how the sprays that they are doing is getting into certain plants and that is affecting bee populations, and that kind of started the thought process of how we got down our certain rabbit hole, and my god, where we ended up was completely like the mosquito truck conversation has gone by the wayside. Everything else that we found out about this led to just, yeah, I know, we're all over the place.
Speaker 3: Here, lots of b conversations and lots of weird kind of you know, back and forth between everything we had found. One thing says one thing and the other thing. It's just everything's contradicting each other.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we pretty much found that depending on the source that you find and depending on when that source was written or recorded, you're gonna get two very different narres to to start off trying to figure out about pollination and bees in general, and then we realized that there was a conflicting argument going on here. There are certain publications that are saying that the bee population is thriving and doing better than ever. I remember back mid twenty tens, there was this big push to where we're gonna lose all the bees in our country, and they were telling everybody to go outside and plant wildflowers in their backyards to help the bee population reproduce, which is excellent. Next thing, you know, we fixed it. We saved the bees. And I remember even hearing that Morgan Freeman bought was like four hundred acres, four hundred thousand, it's some crazy amount of land strictly to have wildflowers to help the natural bee population just repopulate itself. And all of a sudden, the bees are back and we're doing great, good job, everybody, big pats on the back all the way around. And then we're hearing that, oh, yeah, give it another twenty years and we're just gonna have no bees whatsoever. And a lot of the time, we're hearing that these two conflicting stories are being said at the exact same time even today. So there seems to be a lot of misunderstandings and a lot of controversy surrounding what the truth is on bee populations, you know, and not just in the country, but in the world. So we decided to do a little bit of digging on this, and uh, you know, I'm gonna go ahead and share the screen and we're gonna play a couple of videos that we found. We're gonna read a couple of articles that we had pulled up. And for anybody that would like to see what we were talking about rather than just hear about it, please come check us out at the link of the description below and come to patreon dot com slash Cult of Conspiracy Podcast. If you join the five dollars tier, you will get access to all the episodes that we drop on Patreon, which is somewhere around fourteen or fifteen a week. I lose count at this point, but that's beside the point. When you come over there for that five dollars tier alone, you will get the shows absolutely commercial free, yes, ind commercial free. Listening to all of our good Patreon members. But then also beyond that, if you would like to join us every Tuesday night at nine pm Central for our Cult Live show, we hope to see you there. Go to the ten dollars tier, that third eye all the way open tier and join us there. Also, we have a promo running right now where if you sign up for a year long subscription on Patreon, you actually will end up getting three months free, so you're paying for nine months and getting twelve months. I don't even know of a better deal that we can offer at this time, So we hope to see everybody there. The link is in the description below. Go to patreon dot com slash Cult to Conspiracy Podcast. Now, without further ado, let's hear the two conflicting narratives as it pertains to the bee population in this country.
Speaker 4: More honeybees died in the US last year than in any other year in recorded history, and we don't exactly know why. A new study shows that over sixty percent of the bees kept by commercial beekeepers didn't survive the winter, making this the largest honeybee colony loss in US history. And viewer bees isn't just a serious problem for bees and beekeepers. It's a serious problem for every person on the planet. Honey bees pollinate many of the fruits, vegetables, and nuts that we and other animals eat, and without bees, many of these plants would struggle to grow or would disappear completely. Fewer bees means less pollination, less biodiversity, and less food for every person on Earth. Scientists and beekeepers are working together to figure out why so many bees died last year. But the truth is that one of the biggest problems bees face is US humans. Through climate change, habitat destruction, and industrial agriculture, we are destroying the plants and places that bees rely on for food. But the good news is that everyone can help bees by doing one simple thing. Plant more flowering plants, bushes and trees for bees. Native plants are always best, and every bloom makes a difference. And if we all work together, we can make every day another great day of saving the bees.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, her hardss'es into her microphone was a bit rough, but okay, I get it. Secondly, all right, so this is from Texas bee Works, shouts out, and she is a influencer YouTuber, TikToker beekeeper, so of course she is going to have a certain side of the narrative that she pushes the most, and that makes sense. But you're gonna hear that be a reoccurring theme that it's because of climate change, it's because of industrial agriculture, it's because of the destruction of natural habitat, their natural habitat destruction, right exactly, and also a shout out to her for being an og with it.
Speaker 3: But like, yeah, just grabbing all the bees byre with her hand. I'm like, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: That's borderline sociopathic behavior. She's out there in a short sleeve shirt and jeans, no mask on or anything. She scooping bees up with her hand, just lottied on.
Speaker 3: Have you ever watched the guy and girl they're like a husband and wife couple, and they go and he'll have like ten thousand bees that he just grabs with his hands and like scoops him in boxes and like there's no anything that he's using. He's just out there grabbing the bees. And I'm like, I guess, I.
Speaker 2: Guess the sociopaths. I feel the same way about people that handle snakes. They're fucking sociopaths. But I know that I'm a weird one on that one.
Speaker 3: But whatever, sneaks are awesome.
Speaker 2: You know, respectfully, I disagree the nope ropes are not my jam. But anyway, all right, So this is a narrative that you're gonna hear pushed a lot by the people that are saying that we need to save the bees and that all of them are dying all these things. Right, she just said that half of the bee hives did not survive the winter. Now we listen to this guy who this video was posted just a few months prior to what she posted, and it spins it completely different narrative.
Speaker 5: Listen in thees, do you remember seeing headlines about bees disappearing? What really happened?
Speaker 2: For years?
Speaker 5: Honey bees had been dying off in droves, and no one really seemed to know why. There were a lot of worries about what that could mean for farmers. Pesticides and global warming got some of the blame, so did creepier things like the varrow mighte and a mysterious disease known as colony collapse disorder. The bee pockalypse was probably caused by some combination of those things.
Speaker 6: But here's the good news.
Speaker 5: Bees didn't go extinct for the same reason that we don't worry about cows and chickens going extinct, because they are super valuable to humans. When the bees were dying in huge numbers, commercial beekeepers responded by building more colonies, and since bees are essential to pollinating a wide range of crops almonds, especially, farmers had a strong incentive to help save the bees too.
Speaker 6: So the beepocalypse is over.
Speaker 5: In fact, America now has a record number of bees and the number of bee colonies is up thirty one percent since two thousand and seven according to the USDA.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're getting reports saying that the bee hives are up thirty percent in the last twenty years and that we have now more bee hives and bees than we ever have before in reten history. Meanwhile, we have the other narrative saying that the bee population has suffered more losses than they ever have throughout human history. So you see why we decided that this was what we needed to run on with this episode. You know, it's wild things. But anyway, so with all this being said, Raven has done a good deep dive into some of the notes on this, and to be honest with you, I had no idea that we had half African hybrid bees that were pretty much taking over this continent. And that's the bees that are in question to all this conversation.
Speaker 3: So the narrative.
Speaker 5: So, in.
Speaker 3: Sixteen twenty two, an English settler decided to bring over European honey bees to America. John Before then, there was four thousand species of bees already native here. When brought them over. They're super docile bees. They're not aggressive, they're very actually, they're very sweet bees. And so they got along and integrated really well throughout the continent. They did really good. It's estimated that we have about two point five million hives right now and about fifty billion bees.
Speaker 2: Now that's not strictly honey bees, is it, No? Okay? Because I watched something earlier that was saying, like, of the four thousand species that we have native to North America, there are some they had it like sitting on top of a dime. One of them I thought was actually a blue ant and it's like the smallest bee that we have in this continent. And then the other one was a carpenter bee, which was the largest, and then thing took over the dime.
Speaker 3: They have a whole bunch of different varieties, but they're averaging around fifty billion bees, which they all of them do different things when it comes to pollination, and there's certain plants that only certain bees will go to and seen with butterflies, seen with bats. There's actually like two lizards that help pollinate stuff too. There's a couple lemurs help pollinate. There's some random animals that help pollinate and help actually spread, just kind of like how birds will be able to transfer seeds all over locations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that too, as far as a pollination goes. There's two types of birds that they brought up. One was the orioles and the other one was a hummingbird, which the hummingbird makes sense to me, right, Their diet is consistently off of nectar, so it makes sense that they would help in the pollination process. But I didn't see the other bird species getting in on that conversation. But yeah, so there is other pollinators out there beside the bee, But I would speculate that the bee is doing the lion's share of the work when it comes to the pollination conversation.
Speaker 3: They're doing the most work, They're doing the most leg work. They all they do all day long is pollinate where the other ones it's in sections of time, and so like at night with the bats, they only pollinate during that time, so it's not the same as going like for all day long.
Speaker 2: So I heard the bees don't sting at night. Have you ever heard that myth? That's a lie.
Speaker 3: Well, that's because of the African high bred gene.
Speaker 2: Well I can't speak to naturally what they're doing, but yeah, bees pollinate during the daylight hours for sure. But I had a buddy of mine who believed, for some reason, some Internet thing told him that because bees only operate during the day, they also don't sting you if you're messing with them at night. So he had the bright idea of trying to get the honey inside of this high Q a natural high by the way, not a box. He just decided he was gonna go fuck with it at night and lo and behold with no smoker, no nothing, just getting after it because.
Speaker 3: He got up.
Speaker 2: Boy, you got lit up. That was beautiful. It was so great. But anyway, yeah, so as far as the nighttime pollination goes, it makes sense the bats would enter the conversation at that point.
Speaker 3: So the well, the bees that you're talking about that seeing it's actually the native bees aren't aggressive and the European bees really don't sting. It's the African bloodline the gene that are the ones that sing. So in nineteen fifty seven in Brazil, there is a man named Warwick Kinner. He experimented on crossing African bees with European bees because they wanted to create a bee that would withstand the heat, work longer, and produce more. In theory, it was a really good idea to spice the genes and to create this hybrid. The problem is they had a few dozen of the bees escape and from there it they have traveled through the Amazon, through South America up to North America.
Speaker 2: And what was the year he was doing the gene splicing again, seven fifty seven. You know what. We just talked about this on a couple episodes ago, about how the government is doing gene splicing with insects and that they have been for a very long time Operation Big Itch in Operation Big Buzz when they air dropped bombs full of mosquitoes just to see what would happen.
Speaker 3: And it's a thing that's been around for decades and the whole conversation like with Bill Gates and then genetically modifying those kind of bugs, and it's been a thing. They're just getting better at creating right different type of superbugs.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing that most people don't understand that like gene splicing technology labs that are literally messing with the genetic code of species. That's not a new thing. That's not something that came around only in the past couple of decades. They've been doing this. This was Cold War era technology and funding that was going into gene splicing insects for different reasons. The bees, I could understand it, being that they wanted to make the agriculture stronger, and I completely get that. But then when they were talking like the mosquitos and the ticks and all that, that was for weaponizing them. But during that same timeframe fifty seven, this guy Warwick in Brazil was gene splicing half African and half European or half American European beings.
Speaker 3: Yes, because the European.
Speaker 2: Beats they got here in the fifteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got here sixteen twenty two. Because when they got here, but they were they're very sweet kind of bees and very dociles, so they're easily manipulated. I guess their genes are quite easy to share with other ones. Later on in the conversation, that's where like the African, not the African, the Asian bee and the European bee are having trouble with the same might because the might was able to transfer between the two because their genes are similar to each other.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: So in nineteen ninety, Texas confirmed the first ever cases of Africanized bees in their location. So they started having I don't know if you remember this when we were younger, but they started having all these commercials and all this stuff go on on TV about Africanized bees. These bees are attacking people, they're attacking places, and all these bees are swarming and people are dying from them and they're having all these issues. So this is the bee that this all of the st from.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I mean I feel like most of us can remember whether it was a commercial or that movie where Macaulay Culkin died because he got sworn by these African killer bees that just happened to be in America, or even a Boy Meets World episode which I actually have pulled up as a matter of fact, and most people probably heard this, and at the time it was just kind of a part of the cultural zeitguy, so nobody really questioned anything beyond it. Just those you know, those African killer bees they're making their way around. No one thought any more about it. And no, we're not going to the whole killer hornet or whatever that thing was that they said was going to be the new Apocalypse a couple of years ago in the nineties. This episode, right, this episode that we're about to play, was aired in nineteen ninety nine, and even then they were talking about some sort of a crazy African killer bee conversation. And you know, it's only three and a half minutes, but let's take a little blast to the past to boy meets World.
Speaker 7: George, what.
Speaker 8: This.
Speaker 2: I didn't do this.
Speaker 8: You believe them when they told me, But it's hard to argue with something that's right in front of your face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're just as shocked as you are.
Speaker 3: Dean.
Speaker 2: Oh no, look, this is insane.
Speaker 6: Put the brain down.
Speaker 7: In Heaven's name were you thinking of when you did this?
Speaker 2: I didn't do it.
Speaker 6: They did it.
Speaker 2: Oh, mister Feeney, we are insulted.
Speaker 6: Sean and I have been upstairs selling muffins for the underprivileged.
Speaker 8: They were down here with me, Tapanga.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't lie for him.
Speaker 7: Where was he?
Speaker 2: He's been selling muffins all day.
Speaker 9: So Sean, we're legitimate.
Speaker 7: Now why did you do this? George?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 7: You know something, Dean.
Speaker 10: This was simply just an act of love culminating in an act of analyism.
Speaker 3: And it actually happens all the.
Speaker 7: Time, an active love. Was this an act of love?
Speaker 3: George?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yep, all right, nobody moves.
Speaker 7: Where's my bee? B what be my bee?
Speaker 6: It's my discovery.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, it's an aga que and be.
Speaker 6: I've been searching for it for years, Curtis, you've been out of town a little too long.
Speaker 7: Those African killer bees are swarming all over the country.
Speaker 9: They're doing Philly next Tuesday.
Speaker 6: This bee has a reverse migration pattern. We make that species with the killer bees that are already here.
Speaker 7: They start migrating back where they originated from, saving thousands of lives that could be rich.
Speaker 3: It's to me, everybody, I'll kill it.
Speaker 5: No, don't touch that.
Speaker 6: Bee, Curtis.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: The statue of King Haafaratu you gave me for our anniversary it's broken. The hell with the statue.
Speaker 2: The stuff is nothing but junk compared to that bee.
Speaker 3: This is chunk.
Speaker 6: Don't move.
Speaker 2: The bee's on you.
Speaker 8: Oh, Curtis, you know I'm allergic to bees, So you puff up for a little while.
Speaker 6: This is my nobel prize.
Speaker 8: I don't think so, Curtis, Oh, shouts out to Boymet's World.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love that show.
Speaker 3: Same. I watched every episode everything. I love it so much.
Speaker 2: But you heard what they were saying, The African bees are swarming all over the country, Like, yeah, I don't know what you're talking about in this whole Well, it's a reversal thing. If we could do that and mix it with the African bees that are already here. These whole things about African killer bees all over North America. That was a part of the cultural zeitgeist for at least half of the nineties. And so you're saying that that was in part due to the African bees. That was the hybridization of them.
Speaker 3: So in nineteen ninety, the first confirmed cases were in Texas, and then from there they went to Arizona, then they made their way into Imperial Valley, California. It's important because in California, they have the almond farbes and so this is a huge part to play in the next couple decades of the bee culture. So in nineteen ninety four they were identified in Imperial Valley and that's when the map changed from being in one location to starting to spread across the country of these Africanized bees. So a lot of so these bees are they can actually spread between one sixty to five hundred kilometers in a rate of like a few days. They travel super.
Speaker 2: Fast, Okay, so not just travel that far pollinate that far, So.
Speaker 3: No, they travel so they actually they are they are built to be faster, they fly higher, and they nest deeper. They're really intelligent bees. Wow, really intelligent, Like they're they were created to withstand and then as time went on they continue to adapt and then in they became really violent though, because they didn't like the noise, vibrations and the usual smell. So what people were showing, what they were seeing on the news was people being attacked them swarming vehicles. Like there's you know all those videos of them swarming vehicles that one guy got attacked and then like zoomed in on him and he has like a hundred bees on him and he's falling to the ground and dying.
Speaker 2: So it was a territorial thing they or it was an environmental thing.
Speaker 3: It was an environmental thing. They just were very aggressive naturally, and then they got really even more irritated because of those things that they weren't exposed to previously in the Amazon and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That was in the nineties where it started to get So that's actually very interesting because like what makes a bee violent, there's a few a certain perfumes, certain colognes can absolutely agitate bees. They smell things on the level that we can't, and that makes sense to me. But and we've talked about this on the show a couple of times. So by all known laws of aviation, bees are not supposed to be able to fly. Their wings are too tiny, their bodies are too fat, and there's no way that they're able to get lift according to what we know about aviation. That being said, they recently did more studies and found out they're actually able to vibrate their thorax, like their body is actually able to vibrate at different rates, which gives them enough lift for lack of better words, it's able to actually affect their mass at a molecular level, So that's how they're able to fly. Now that being said, in the nineties, what became very very popular that might be messing with things at a vibrational level that humans can't pick up on. But I bet the bees could.
Speaker 3: Cell phones.
Speaker 2: Cell phones absolutely, and I mean radio is a different thing. Radio waves have been in effect since the early nineteen hundreds, broad scales since the nineteen twenties and thirties, so you know, I'm sure that also played an effect on the bees as well.
Speaker 3: The long term and short term radio waves are completely different from each other. You know, you have different types of radio waves and each one of them does a different frequency. The frequencies are what it impacts the different animals and insects around it. Plus you're doing short bursts like they're not continuous streams. Every time you're speaking is when it sends over the signal, and it would be it's harder to travel over land than it is over water, and so when you're having and peeing the towers, it's sending little bleeps here and then it drops down to another tower verse where the actual waves for a cell phone it's going to continuous stream of pulsing out waves and so that's a completely different way of impacting things around it.
Speaker 2: And I mean we've talked about this before. How much of our environment is different now because of cell phones, five G whatever. The new technology is Wi Fi absolutely so like And to further that point, real life technology is not a shameless plug. But use a promo code cold it check out for ten percent off. This is healing technology that is actually able to heal your body using sound waves. So your ears cannot pick up on, but your body the resonance can pick up on. Cell phones give off a resonance that we can't pick up on, but I guarantee the bees can. So I'm also of the belief, yes, a bit of the conspiratorial belief, but that's kind of the whole point of the show, that the cell phone towers and the amount of technology that started to get pushed more heavily, especially into the nineties when everybody was carrying around a Nokia brick. I have a hard time believing that that had nothing to do with how the bees all of a sudden went agro, because, like you said, the African bees, they were here for decades, right, They were for this not before the nineties.
Speaker 3: No, So the first confirmed case was in nineteen ninety and then in nineteen ninety four is when they were confirmed in California because they spread over into Imperial Valley. They've been around though since nineteen fifty seven. They had to migrate their way all the way up to North America.
Speaker 2: They were in an area that didn't have the amount of technology that we have on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: Yes, they were in the Amazon in South America. They were in so like, that's a completely different especially in the nineties and before then, think about the culture and the way everything was, and then as they traversed up to us, things were changing in the actual environment and you know how we were operating as humans.
Speaker 2: The entirely different ecosystem. So yeah, okay, okay, it's not that cell phones became popular at the time they made their way here. As cell phones are becoming more popular, so it was more violent.
Speaker 3: And aggressive because of the sounds and the noises and all of that. So that's where a lot of the fear came from for people in the nineties of bees. It was because of this Africanized bee that was a hybred and then it was the whole thing. So California really became the hub of this conversation because of the almond factory or the almond fields farms.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, orchards because almonds grow on a tree. So would that technically be an almond orchard.
Speaker 3: I think it would be Actually, yeah.
Speaker 2: Farm grove. It's a grove. Like pecans don't grow an orchard, they grow they grow in a grove.
Speaker 3: Man, We're smart begetting there. Yeah. So the native bees, when these Africanized bees started to take over in California, the problem was is they already had native bees there, aka the European bees that were introduced in sixteen twenty two. They became they were native quote, and because they intermixed with the actual native species that were here and they developed their own little subspecies. But they became weaker and started to disappear, and they started to be destroyed because infections of fears. So people were killing bees just in mass thinking that they were killing these Africanized bees. In reality, they were killing the native bees that they needed. But the problem was is now that they've the pesticides were weakening their immune systems and waking them overall. And then on top of that they're being mass killed. So then it just kind of paved the way for the Afghanized bees that are smarter and more resistant to thrive and survive.
Speaker 2: Could you tell the difference but by just looking at them unless you were somebody that was read in on it, Like if you were to see a European descent be literally next to a Africa or hybrid bee, would any regular layperson be able to tell a difference.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what they actually look like. But I know because the bees that we have around us, sixty to seventy percent of them are have genetic to African, so the Afghanized bees, so like we don't even know what a lot of the native bees look like the majority of us because I mean, unless we really studied them. But I'm not going to be able to really tell the difference between different types of little honey bees.
Speaker 2: And especially if you have a hive that just happens to have sprung up near you, You're not going to go through the process of trying to check what it is. It's a nuisance and you got to get rid of it. And that, Yeah, all people.
Speaker 3: Knew then was the news is telling us these bees are killing us, so like, we need to take care of this now, and that caused this whole situation to happen. The hunting production in nineteen ninety four went down ten percent in affected areas because they were killing off the native bees and the African bees were pissed off and so they didn't want to They weren't doing their job effectively because they were trying to pretty much establish They were very aggressive in their territory and so they're trying to establish doing what they were doing. So they were already impacting the environment just in nineteen ninety four the region. So in California they decided to try to take control. So this whole conversation ends up being human technology verse nature for the next few decades. This is what this conversation actually.
Speaker 2: Is, because that's ever worked out positively ever throughout human history.
Speaker 3: Well, they felt some type of way, so in California they decided to burn hives, spray carbon and an oxide, foam, spray chemicals.
Speaker 2: And carbon monoxide, foam, carbon dioxide.
Speaker 3: Dioxide'm about to say, gol the carbon dioxide phone.
Speaker 2: Okay, man, I just hurried up to say, they just go on for the kill shot. Across the board, ain't they.
Speaker 3: And they locked down neighborhoods. Yeah, I thought that was really interesting that they locked down like actual locations where they found the bees, Africanized bees. They were trying to like walk them in a little spot until they could kill them all and eradicate it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: The hybrids, though eliminated, they continued to try to fight the African bees. But the problem is is that through nineteen ninety to the two thousands, there was only like four to seven percent of the States weren't affected by these bees. Everywhere else was affected by these bees. But no matter what they did, even into the two thousands, they discovered that sixty to seventy percent of these African bees survived everything that they did.
Speaker 2: So essentially became a spy versus spy kind of situation where the bees were adapting to their environment. Humans would come up with some new way to eradicate them. The next season, the bees would find a way around that. Then they would find a new way. Basically that's what it became.
Speaker 3: Yes, so the bees, the hybrids adapted to building their hives, so they decided so they started spraying the air right, they were spraying chemicals in the airs trying to kill off the hives. So the bees adapted the next season to being like, okay, cool, you're going to spray and contaminate the air. What we're going to do is we're going to find places that you can't the air can't get to us pretty much. So they started laying hives. They started building their hives in pipes, under houses. They put them like anywhere they could find that was a tiny little niche that was away from the chemical air. That's where they actually thrived. If you've ever seen the guy I was talking about just a minute ago that scoops up bees with his hands, you'll see him cut into say a well house and underneath the ground they actually use like heating technology, and they look for the hive. They'll find them inside the ground, like underneath the boards. Those are afroganized beasts. Those are just generations of it that have been here. They found them in like concrete walls. Those are those beasts. They have adapted to keeping themselves away from pesticides so that they could survive.
Speaker 2: So the only experience I have with this is my parents when they bought the land they currently live on, there was a dead tree, and the top of this tree got taken out by a hurricane years and years before they even bought the property. But they decided that they wanted to take down this tree. Okay, cool, My uncle, who is a career arborist, came in and cut the tree down. As soon as the top of that tree hit the ground, a black cloud came out of the top of this thing. Everybody was inside. Oh bad, it was bad. We didn't really they first off didn't realize there was a beehive in this tree. Second, they didn't realize how big this beehive was. And again it was at the top We're talking probably sixty feet up, and it was bad. So they called a be expert, and because they realized that, they were inside for probably twenty minutes, and it got worse, and it got worse, and it got worse. So after about an hour, they finally called a guy and was like, hey, there's no way there was this many bees in this hive, So what's the deal. He's like, Okay, good news and bad news. Bad news. It's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better. You're gonna want to stay inside for a couple hours and They're like, what do you mean. So basically, you just cracked open a massive hive. Now every bee within a ten mile radius is coming to take that honey right now, and there's there's nothing that could be done, So y'all are gonna need to stay inside it and hunkered out. So they had to get cops to come and like designate off a section of ninet thirty three because it was that bad. Like when I'm saying a black cloud, I like the cartoons that you see, Yeah, think of that, about a football field size of a black cloud that was swarming on this one tree and out of nowhere. Once the honey was gone, they were gone.
Speaker 3: That's insane. I've never I mean, I've never seen that in person, but that's crazy.
Speaker 2: I was in the Marines at the time. They told me about it. Later I thought they were over dramatic. No, no, no, this was bad, bad.
Speaker 3: So these bees, these these highbred bees, are the ones that can fly higher yep. And so that's likely who was there in the tree with these bees because they can outlast they can get above where the normal little native honey bees they can't get that high.
Speaker 2: And the high was inside of the trunk of a dead tree. This also makes sense.
Speaker 3: Wow, And they also they're more resilient colonies. So scientists call this whole adaptation that they have a paradoxal recovery effect. And so pretty much every time the humans have tried to come up with something, this particular brand of bees can adapt in and overcome within. They can't even keep the models up to date every time they try. They've already adapted to it. So they created like this this spray that they thought that was gonna kill them, they all adapted to it than six months, and then they couldn't even they couldn't even kill them off. They immediately started to adapt. They already formed a resistance almost immediately. Yeah, it got like the first first wave, but then they had already started to adapt to this. So this is this whole thing has been a money pit for decades of them throwing money into it, for decades of trying to fight the bees, saying we have to eradicate them. So Texas was one of the main ones that decided, like newsfucker's gotta die, whereas Arizona was like, all right, so clearly we're mistaken, Like clearly nature is going to find a way and nature is pretty much given us the middle finger every chance of it that they can get, and we are losing.
Speaker 2: So from there they try to fight against nature.
Speaker 3: This so they had this killer bee campaign that they pushed in the nineties in the two thousands for well up unto a certain point until we started having a colony collapse. But they had this bee campaign that they were like, let's kill these bees off because like, we don't need them here, we need to try to make sure the native species are gonna survive. It didn't work, because the bees are still surviving seventy percent of them no matter what you kill. The problem is is they killed one, they would knock down a hive and try to destroy it right within hours, within a three mile ratus, they would already have anywhere between three to five new hives building from that hive itself. So like the ones that survived, they'd be out already building a new hive, And so every time they would try to get a step ahead of them, they were like, gotcha, cool, We're just gonna go build another hive down the street.
Speaker 2: So now this leads to the question, why if bees are that resilient and they are doing great and they're gonna be fine no matter what we try to do, they are going to be good. Why are we still hearing the narrative that these bees are on the verge of extinction. At the bee go extinct, then so does all of our food supply. I mean, and that's a fair point, right, You can be well, right, right, right, and it gets all that in the moment. But that's not an unfair thing to say, right If, for whatever reason, if the bees went away right now, human beings would follow because without them, any big agricultural farm that you can find has bee hives on site because they help with the pollination. Whether it's cucumbers, whether it's fruit, whether it's corn, it doesn't matter. We need bees in order to have the mass scale of agriculture to feed the population that we do. So I can understand why people are saying that when the bees go downhill, and when our population of bees are dying off in such numbers, that is something that we need to be concerned about. I can absolutely agree with that. However, the way that the narrative has been spun is making it seem like we are the reason why this is happening. Humans are the reason why the bees are dying.
Speaker 3: There's a lot to play into that though, because humans are are impacting everything globally, I mean the climate climate change conversation a lot of people. It's a back and forth thing. There's a lot to be said that we are impacting the Earth in a lot of negative ways, and we have been doing that now in the last decade, we've been more conscientious of what we're doing. But our carbon footprint per person in America is insane compared globally.
Speaker 2: But that even still, carbon is not a bad thingsuch a narrative to say that it is, but it's really not.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: Carbon footprint conversation, though, is also about waste and pollution. Okay, so it has it's all tight in of together, which impacts the bees, the butterflies, all of it.
Speaker 2: And I could agree with that too. But I would also argue that if you look at an American per capita as opposed to an Indian or a Russian or a Chinese per capita, we are doing a lot less damage than those three countries are. As far as hurting Mother Earth.
Speaker 3: Goes, it's not the it's not the total, it's individual individually. Each household hurts more than those companies, than those countries.
Speaker 2: Will still using cold to heat their homes. There's no will.
Speaker 3: I will have to find the actual diagram. I have a whole thing, Like I had to do a huge paper about it in my environmental class and we had to break it down per person, per household versus every other country, and to see because we use so much stuff as Americans country, for sure what we waste, and we use so many things, and we pollute so much individually, we are doing a lot more damage.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to see this because.
Speaker 3: I'll have to. I'll have to find it for you.
Speaker 2: Like we have an EPA, we have restrictions on what we're allowed to burn. We we have a way that are we have electricity in our homes right now. Now you compare that to what Russia is dumping into the ocean and bearing an un uh unsecured landfills. You look at how China is industrial Like if you've ever seen a picture of Beijing and it looks like there's fog every single day, and that is certainly not fog. When you tell me that we are not we're doing worse than China or India, I mean shit, go to have you played the game. Have you gone to street view in India and tried to find a spot without shit on the ground?
Speaker 3: No, I haven't, but I mean in India's rivers are absolutely disaster right. But there's there is a lot of different information though for how much we use in the sense of like pollution wise, how much things that everything that we tie into what we do as a daily use as Americans versus what they're using daily is a completely different, like conversation.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to see that report.
Speaker 3: This is a mind blowing I have to find it for you because it's crazy. Back to the little bees though, Yeah, so they try to introduce the European bees, like strictly European bees, not native high bred crosses or anything that they actually tried to make them breed with the Africanized bees. So they took the Afghanized bees that were here and they decided to do controlled experiment to try and get them to be more gentler, be happier, kind of you know, hey, let's hang out. Despite everything they did in twenty fifteen to do this, all of the African traits still dominated through.
Speaker 2: They tried to breed docility into the bees, and they still were just like nah, bra yeah, well of course, okay.
Speaker 3: Pretty much they despite they had thousands of manage like thousands of colonies that they tried this with, and all of them pretty much said screw you, we're just gonna We're just gonna keep on going on. And so as they continued to resist chemicals and learn how to dig deeper, make their nests deeper, learn how to get faster, learn how to do more, they have been continuously evolving. And so they now call it the reverse evolutionary response. So that's the Yeah, they have terms for all of.
Speaker 2: The reverse evolutionary Charles Darwin would be so upset with that concept. Now, what do you mean by this?
Speaker 3: So because they are I guess they are reversing everything that they throw out them. They're reversing like an uner reverse card. That's pretty much what they named it for, Like they're uner reversing like haha, you know, here's four, I'm just gonna reverse that and give that back to you. So the bees, every time that they keep throwing stuff at them, they're just reversing it. They're just continuously adapting.
Speaker 2: And Okay, I'm glad you said it. Like that because I'm thinking reverse evolutionary that makes me think of essentially it's survival of the fittest. That's how evolution works throughout the course of history. So with them trying to manipulate the genomes of these bees, it's like they're trying to work against evolution. But instead it's not that, it's that the bees are adapting in spite of what the humans are doing to them.
Speaker 3: Yes, wow, yep. So in so in twenty twenty and twenty twenty three, there was a huge conversation about these bees in particular, and saying that there was ecosystem changes, soiled jamage and change animal loss, and it came down to GMO tech bees they've been trying to push versus the adaptation hybrids. The hybrids are continuously going to win. It's going to keep being They no longer can actually have that conversation because they try to make a new bee and they called it reconciled generation of the new bees.
Speaker 2: They didn't reconcile generation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they were like, hey, so we fucked up, and now we're going to acknowledge that we've done everything we could. We put laws into place, we've done protocols. We've tried to wipe them out. Nothing's working, so we're going to try this instead. California decided then that they were done trying to kill the bees, and instead they're going to try to live alongside the bees and figure out how to manage both types of bees, the natives and the hybrids, and use them to their advantage instead of what's killing them off.
Speaker 2: The problem a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: Then, Yes, So the problem that they're facing though is the pesticides company, because this is a billion dollar business, and now they're saying, hey, so we don't want you to use these pesticides anymore, because we're really trying not to kill off these bees. Because the pesticides that they were using was still killing the native bees. Sure like it wasn't just like somehow pinpointed just to the Africanized bees, because at that point, you're talking about seventy percent of the bees now have a mixed genome of having this African piece at least in them.
Speaker 2: But even still, like you were saying, even if they were using crazy harmful pesticides, the bees are finding a way to adapt and overcome regardless, Right.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the agricultural companies corporations have poured tons and tons of money into finding a genetic management or an artificial pollenization system or controlling breeding lines, and also biological data. They're trying to at least see, hey, should we make fake bees? Should we try to use fake systems into this? Can we manage these can we genetically manage these bees? Is there a way that we can breed them out? Kind of like what's his name, Bill Gates in his whole mosquito situation. Yeah, you know, the males not being able to carrying that gene and they're going to kill off the you know, they're only going to have males, so the population is going to die, that kind of genetic spicing situation.
Speaker 2: So with that being said, and we're going to get to the artificial systems here in a bit. We got a couple of articles and a couple of videos pulled up because what they're trying to do, as far as artificial pollinators go, is kind of mind blowing. It's impressive in one regard for the technological advancements of it. I'm able to at least give a nod to the impressiveness of it. But at the other end of the spectrum. They are absolutely trying to have a man versus nature conversation, even right now when it's clear we are never going to be able to replace the amount of work that bees do as far as making sure that we eat. So that being said, we were talking earlier about colin colonize the collapse of.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, was this the CCD?
Speaker 2: It is colony collapse disorder?
Speaker 3: Colony collapse disorder? God, I couldn't think of it either. Yeah, so this was something that took place, and it's an actual thing that happened in two thousand's I think I can't remember exactly when it started.
Speaker 2: So I got an article pulled up here. It's viruses one oh one. This is actually an article from twenty fourteen, so I'll go ahead and read it now. It's not long. The past couple of years have not been good ones for honeybees. For reasons unknown. Honeybee colonies around the globe have experienced colony collapse disorder. With colony collapse disorder, thirty ninety percent of hives are lost. Adding to the honey bee's growing list of problems is a plant virus, tobacco ringspot virus which has been found in the bees. Astonishingly, the tobacco ringspot virus has accomplished a one point six billion year evolutionary hurdle from its original plant host to honeybees, according to a study published by the journal m Bio in January. Again, this is twenty fourteen. Honey Bees are crucial to humans food production. Roughly one out of every three mouthfuls in our diet is directly or indirectly connected to honeybee populations. If you like almonds, candalo, cucumbers, apples, berries, or honey, obviously honey, the declining population of bees is not good for your palate. In addition to all the foods that bees add to our diet, they also are responsible for an increased crop value of fifteen billion dollars per year. And again this is back ten years ago. That's probably exponentially more by this point. So talking about that tobacco ring spot virus, which is interesting. Tobacco ringspot viruses first recording the United States in nineteen forty one. The most devastating disease caused by the virus is bud blight of soybean, which reduce the yields of reduced yields twenty five by one hundred percent. I don't know what the number on that one is. I don't know yields twenty five. Okay. The virus isn't exclusive to tobacco plants. It can infect thirty five different families of plants, including tomatoes, cucumbers, and beans. Stunned growth, discoloration of leaves in a ring spot pattern, and even death are symptoms of the virus. Tobacco ringspot virus is an RNA virus, which may account for its evolutionary leap. Although RNA and DNA are both nucleic acids, their function differ. DNA is like a cookbook. It stores the recipe for making proteins. RNA is the messenger molecule that tells sells how to how to polymerase? What oh, how to make the proteins? Sorry, jump to sentence there tells the proteins. I'm sorry, tells the cells how to make the proteins. The enzyme that makes RNA by coping or copying DNA. RNA polymerase is not as thorough correcting errors as enzyme DNA polymerase, which replicates DNA. Therefore, RNA tends to contain more mistakes aka mutations than DNA in humans, A single strand of RNA has a very short lifespan, and any mutations are eliminated upon the RNA strands destruction. RNA viruses, on the other hand, are a whole other ballpark. Since the virus's genetic information is derived from RNA, mutations can have a major evolutionary impact on the viruses. Mutations are the driving force behind diversity, which leads to natural selection. RNA viruses have the greatest potential for host hopping, says the study, although it is a rare. Although it is rare for viruses to lead from host to host in different kingdoms, it is not unheard of. The rod Bivoridae family of viruses. Good god, okay, which include why didn't they just say that contains a few viruses that can infect both plants and animals. So jumping ahead here, It talks about the tobacco ring spot a little bit more. But how does that tie into the bees collapse? So let's see here the group. This group of scientists study the similarities and differences between the tobacco ring spot virus genes from honeybees, Varro destructor mites and plants. The viral genes from the bees and mites were closely related, suggesting that the mites were introduced to the virus through the bees. Evidence of tobacco ringspot virus was also identified in pollen stores in beehives. Tobacco ringspot virus presents presence doesn't automatically mean the virus causes bees harm. Thus, the same team of scientists monitored six strong and four weak bee hives for a year to determine if the virus is hazardous to bees. Other viruses through thought to contribute to colony collapse disorder were studied. Two higher concentrations of tobacco ringspot virus and the other viruses did in fact fortel colony collapse. Wow. So if you had a beehive that was pollinating a certain tobacco farm or field, and you could see that this ring spot virus is on the plants, you could almost predict that the bee hives were going to suffer from some sort of a colony collapse that way, that's fascinating. Still, so many questions remain with regards to tobacco ring spot virus. It is unknown whether the virus can survive in the bee population without periodical reintroductions. We now know that the plant virus can be spread to bees but can infect can but Jesus hold on can be spread to bees, but can infected bees transmit the virus to plants. Okay. Most importantly, the tobacco ring spot virus one of the causes of colony collapse disorder or merely brought on by a weakened population of honeybees more prone to viral infection. Switching from host to host is no small feet, especially when two hosts plants and bees are more than a billion evolutionary years apart. There are many different challenges a virus must face to make this jump. For example, a virus must first come into contact with its new hosts and figure out a mechanism of transmission between the new hosts. Tobacco ringspot virus is the first recorded plant virus to have been spread two honey bees through contaminated pollen. For the bee's sake, I sincerely hope the scientists can determine what causes colony collapse disorder and how to prevent it soon. Wow.
Speaker 3: So the disorder itself is characterized by a sudden and unexplained disappearance of worker bees from the hive, leaving behind the queen, young bees and small amounts of adults. It was happening in North America, Europe, Asia, the US had it the worst. And so what it means is is that the worker bees would go out to collect and they just never would come back, and so then they have the queen they're left with. I think she can lay one thousand eggs a day if I'm correct, and so she's there just chilling laying eggs, and then you have a few of the adults that are keeping track the baby ones, and then you just have the babies. So overall there is nothing. They would pretty much starve to death and they would just have nothing left. They would just leave and they would not come back. And then what happened. Then they can't fly forever, and then they have no hive, they have no queen, and so the bees would die and the hive would die itself.
Speaker 2: Okay, now that being said, I'm wondering if this might be a portion of the reason as well. Right, so toxic nectar or pollen. This is from the b MD, which I'm not gonna lie. I didn't know there were bee doctors, and not enough to make a whole page out of, but absolutely there are signs are indications difficult to diagnose. Excessive number of dead adult bees. Larvae are also off color, so given a description here. There are several plants that on occasion may cause poisoning to honey bees. The toxic chemicals are llo chemicals YEP, substances developed by the plants themselves to help the plant resist herbivory by insects or grazing livestocks. The dosage is important. A chemical toxin from a poisonous plant at a low dose maybe a food or a valuable medicine, while at a higher dose the same chemical can be deadly. Okay, fair enough. The substance that is toxic to one organism may not be toxic to another. For example, Mountain laurel honey is poisonous to humans, but not to honeybees. I didn't know that, honestly, no idea that was the thing. Fair enough. Some species of buttercup and summer tete I don't know that, but it's also called leatherwood have toxic nectar, the latter causing purple brood. A swamp buttercup has nectar and pollen toxic to honeybees, though it is unclear if other types. I'm not gonna try to pronounce that word. Buttercup species are toxic. Some other plants that show toxicity to bees include tansy ragwart linden, which is toxic sugar. Never heard of that, and milkweed, which additionally has polleny that stick to bees bodies, causing stress to foragers. Now that's an interesting point. Not to sidestep too far away from this article, but milkweed was something that we in Louisiana were told by the LSU AG Committee, which, for anybody who doesn't know, LSU is one of the largest brick and mortar schools in the state. Pretty much of the LSU AG Center says that there's something that needs to be done for the state. People listen, and they were telling people that we need to plant more milk weed in our gardens around our house, all these things, and they made it sound like it was to help the bee population. Then they realized that that is not the case, and I did a little more research into this. Milkweed is excellent for restoring butterfly populations. Right the nectar the butterflies use, but butterflies and bees have a very different pollenization method. For lack of better words, bees actually get stuck in the waxing nectar of the milkweed plants, and it actually decimates the bee population as opposed to helping the butterfly population. So the LSU Accenter just released an article not too terribly long ago talking about this. They then had to retract it. We tried finding the article for this conversation and it was just posted not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was supposed to like a week or two ago. I looked everywhere for it and I couldn't find it. I found the discussion about bees here for like specifically for Louisiana, but I couldn't find the milk weed conversation because I saw the headline read that milkweed was killing the bee population. Because I myself actually planted milkweed the last few years because I wanted to help the wooden when I was told by the Accenter, because you can actually they come to like fars and they come to a little pop up events and you can come and talk to the master gardeners and you can actually go there and talk to them. They were like, hey, plant this to help your garden out to help bring in the pollinators, and so I guess they weren't. They weren't specific enough for people, or when they said pollinators, I assumed it was for the bees themselves. So clearly it was killing off the bees, because I noticed a huge decline in bees coming around my gardens, and I thought, honestly it was the trucks, because down here we have these massive trucks that come by and they spray every night for mosquitoes. I personally believe that that there is a lot to be said about them spraying the chemicals and that it's actually impacting the pollin eaters, including the butterflies, and that maybe this was like one of those things of hey, we're doing this one thing to kill off this one invasive population of bugs, but now it's impacting the ones that we need. But I can't actually find the article about milkweed, So now it's like, do you plant some milk weed?
Speaker 5: Do you?
Speaker 3: Just not? From what I've read is that you should try to plant as many native flowers as possible, try not to cut your gardens at like your grass as much like my front yard for Halloween, we ha didn't cut it for like a whole month, and so there was actually a whole bunch of little purple flowers. I've seen more bees in the last week than i have in a long time out there eating because little the honey bees are ground dwellers, so they like to be around the lower plants instead of trying to like find them up in the air or anything like that. So those natural plants are helping increase the bees. Actually, there was a study done with that it takes over two years for the population of natural of native bees to recover in an area. Is as long as you stop spraying pesticides and you allow the natural plants to grow, it takes them over two years to even start to see an increase in the native bees locally. And it there's a lot to be said with the pesticide conversation and how that actually ties into the killing of the bees, And there's a whole argument. You read something about how pesticides are better.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we actually have a video we're going to play here in a bit, which and I think there is something to be said for that. And I'm not saying this is a standard rule across the board. Depending on the type of pesticides or spraying, for sure, and how concentrated it is, right, But if you look at what farmers are spraying on their crops in the sixties as opposed to what farmers are spraying on their crops now. And I'm not trying to say, oh, well, these pesticides are good for you. I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that they are more engineered to go after a specific insect rather than just killing. It's more like a sniper rifle around as opposed to a grenade. Right, It's more like a personalized letter as opposed to a to whom it may concern kind of thing.
Speaker 3: The problem isn't that. The problem is if they're systemic or non systemic. So non systemic pesticides, for people that don't know, are the topic the ones that you can buy like round up at the store and you spray them on in their water soluble so they can rinse off your placelants, so they're not actually inside the DNA makeup themselves of the plant. The systemic ones are actually starting at the seeds, so they're already inside and they're growing. They're going to be so like if you go to home depot and buy some of the plants for your garden. For example, you will have a seed now that's been genetically modified a lot of times. You can actually see them on the packages they will say genetically modified or not. You will see that those seeds actually have systemic pesticides inside of them already, and they're in dirt that have pesticides, and they've been sprayed with pesticides as well. So as these plants are growing, you're now having the entirety of the plant, every part of it is now impacted and infected with some type of pesticide. So now it's a huge effect of everything about this plant is going to affect everybody and everything that touches it. So anything that's ingesting this plant is now going to have residual pesticides of some type. And as that transfers over to us as people, because now we're eating lettuce, for example, that the seed itself is been made with pesticides, it's growing in pestides, it's being sprayed with pesticides. Nothing we can do, no matter how organic quote unquote it is, is going to be it's going to still have these pesticides, which is impacting us. It's impacting birds, it's impacting the insects, it's impacting everybody. Yes, there are definite insects that are killing other bugs, like the MTE that we're going to talk about. But is it worth doing the systemic pesticides. I wonder because it's a natural the bioaccumulation effect where it's continuously accumulating and over time, how are we even getting seeds that haven't been genetically modified at some point. There's actually a book that I have that this company has been in America for a long long time. They actually started overseas and then came to America. It's a one hundred years and you can buy all these different type of seeds from around the world from them, and they trace back where the seeds are from and if they've been messed with at any point that they can see, and they try to keep them as clean as possible. And you can actually buy You can buy ladybugs from them, you can buy mason bees from them, you can buy all sorts of stuff from this company.
Speaker 2: Wow. Now with that being said, and we were talking about how the spray trucks right the mosquito trucks in Louisiana, which as far back as I can remember. That's the thing that we've had now. Granted some years we see more than others. Very true, and I mean, you know, we were just kind of told growing up like yeah, it's not going to hurt you, but also like don't ride your bike behind the truck and just breed that shit in. I'm not going to say if we ever did that or not. Just besides the point, we're all just trying to catch cancer out here, you know what I mean. But cancer alleys, indeed we are, praise God. But beside the point, So with the milkweed conversation, I will ask you this too. So the monarch butterfly is endangered in this area. It is, but I've also seen more more recently than I've ever seen in my entire life living here.
Speaker 3: I've lived here eleven years, and I will say that I've seen a definite increase in monarchs this year than the last five six years, which is great. Like this, this is an awesome thing. I'm just wondering if if this is one of those things of like, hey, here's we're saving the butterflies.
Speaker 2: But screw the bees, like you know, and I'm wondering if they even realized that it was going to play out that way. So when that's trying to promote to people, hey, plant more milk weed in your gardens and all these things, they were looking at it for trying to save an endangered species, right, which very well could be. And who can argue against that. Nobody. Nobody has beef with butterflies.
Speaker 3: I think everyone loves butterflies.
Speaker 2: Everyone loves it. And even if you don't love them, you don't hate them by any means. Bees, on the other hand, because they can't sting you, there is already a negative stigmatism surrounding them. Never mind the fact that bees are not going to fuck with you unless you are going out of your way to fuck with them.
Speaker 3: Mason bees actually don't sing, and they're really good to have in your garden. They're the ones that you make those little tiny bee boxes for that have little circles like you can make all different kinds of stuff and you can put it up on the on anywhere in your garden. They won't sing. They help pollinate. They're not as effective as honey bees, or you're not making honey quote quote, but they're pollinating.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I've looked into getting them a couple times.
Speaker 2: Okay, so all right, So continuing back with the article, here says rhododundron is poisonous to bees and humans. It contains an androme androme doc toxin, andrama doc toxin andrameda toxin. That's a thing. Oh my god. Okay, yeah, it contains an andromeda toxin. Mountain little also contains an androma to toxin that can poison humans. California buckeye annually causes the losses of bee honey bee colonies throughout its range on the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. In California, yellow jasmine can poison humans who might eat honey made from this plant. WHOA didn't know that did not? Bees forging on the flowers of yellow jasmine appear intoxicated, become paralyzed, and die. Yellow jasmine has been reported to cause periodic, periodic poisoning of bees from Florida to Texas.
Speaker 3: Wow, did you know that Florida is actually one of the places where they have a lot of the bees that they transport to California from. It's one of the nesting areas during the winter.
Speaker 2: I can honestly say that never occurred to me, I didn't think California got cold enough to where they would need to have like, like it would make sense if you're trying to like improve the bee population of Montana, right, so you would go for bees that came from a warmer climate to try to like boost the population in some cold ass place California. They're Florida bees. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: California transports in millions and millions of bees every year for the for the almonds.
Speaker 2: I had no idea.
Speaker 3: Every single year. Yeah, they buy them. And so the commercial bee situation is what the whole conversation will eventually lead to. But that's they get them from certain states in the country.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, learn something new every day. But okay, so this is again, this is kind of talking about some of the more potentially natural reasons why beehive collapse disorder might be a thing. Right. Sometimes it's because these bees got into some toxic nectar or pollen that they brought back to their hive, made poisonous honey with, and then they tried eating off of it and the entire hive dies. Now, you would think that these bees that have been around for over a billion years would have enough of the built in senses to know, hey, wait a minute, that's not the right smell. I shouldn't bring that pollen back. But apparently it still happens to such a level to where sometimes the entire hive can die as a result.
Speaker 3: So do you remember a couple of years ago where there was a whole bunch of raids on honey on honeybee hives, right, I just I just thought about this. There was a whole bunch of videos showing of people going to honeybee farms and like purposely destroying them, throwing them in the There was a video, a really good video of there was this one the whole colony was thrown out into the water and you see them trying their best to save the queen, and oh, it was really sad. Actually, I felt really bad for the person because like all of their hives were destroyed by somebody came in and decided I'm going to burn and destroy all these hives in the middle of the night. And it was a big thing. It was like two or three years ago. It was this weird thing that just happened with people. But they burn them, they destroyed them, they drown them, Like, I don't understand why you would go after honey bees.
Speaker 2: But okay, because I think to most people, a bee is a bee is a bee, and they only see it as the thing that swarms and stings them, and they don't realize how important they actually are to our ecosystem. And I could understand that as far as the ignorance goes. But going out of way in the middle of the night to try to destroy another person's property, like, I don't I can't speak to all states. But go ahead and go on to a farmer in Louisiana's land and go try to fuck with his bees that is a lynchpin in his livelihood. You're gonna get your ass shot. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I do like that bees. So if they pollinate different areas, they taste the honey taste different. That's my favorite thing, how you can like And they have it all labeled wildflower bees or wildfow honey or this kind of honey. Yeah, I love the different tastes of honey.
Speaker 2: So a guy that I go and retreat with every year, he runs this place called Ka Kai Farm, which, yeah, he's great. He was a pilot, And I forget the type of helicopter he was piloting. But essentially it's like the army's version of a cobra. I don't know what their version of it is. But long story short, he has all kinds of physical issues because of the amount of explosions, Like the rockets were literally next to him, not like down by the bottom of the craft. Bind means like next to the cockpit, and every time one went off, it was like explosions going off next to him. He has all kinds of equilibrium issues now, all these things. So he was on like thirteen different types of medication from the VA. So we started looking at more holistic approaches and he found the magic of the elderberry and so he decided to pour all of his resources into his elderberry farm. So he does elderberries and blueberries, which is excellent. He started he kept beehives there to help the pollination of his plants, and then it ended up that the bee hives were making him more money than the berries were. So he's just doing it all the way through. I have tried his elderberry and blueberry whipped honeyes because he brings cases of them to the retreat house whenever he comes with us. I want to get him on the show here soon. But it is that's the best honey I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 3: I love Elderberry. Shut well, I know, I actually don't have. We used to make jokes about the Elderberry distributor like this. One person would come in and bring cases. You'd order ahead of time, and they would make the batches and you had to pay up front. And they would come in and my girl Lauren, she'd be like, Hey, how much do you want? And I was like, this is like a drug deal for Elderberry. But that shit is so amazing. Everyone else around us was sick all the time, and we would be chugging this stuff. And when people would get sick around us, or the kids would get sick, and then you just hear drink Elderberry non stop. Yeah, it would be done with that in like a day or two.
Speaker 2: Really a miracle fruit, miracle berry, I should say, And not enough people know about it. And you're right, it's almost like a drug deal at that point, because I'm not saying it's like trying to take out Big Pharma, although in a certain regard I think it is, but that's not this conversation, but agreed, agreed, fuck big pharma. But there's not enough people that are growing it on such a mask. Go, it's not something you're gonna like find in the stores, right. If you do, it'll be something that has been heavily processed and might have elderberry flavorings, but it's not gonna be like pure elderberry juice or jam or whatever.
Speaker 3: The case is down the street sells it actually, really yeah right, really they sell that. A little old lady actually got them to start carrying it. She only has about like six of them in there at a time, but she sells them in batches, but in batches, in batches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's legit. See Ralph's for anybody who doesn't know, it's a little mom and pop shop that's not too far from us. There's like Ralph's chains and everything that's not this. This is a family owned and operated thing. They only have two locations period.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic.
Speaker 2: That is amazing. I didn't know that, but yeah, that's the thing. It's something that is it's either very seasonal or it's very small batch. So it kind of gets to that point to where it's like, yo, how many cases do you want like, I gotta you gotta pay up front. I need to know now because if you don't order it, I got fifteen people on my phone that will be ordering. Like you know it's She would.
Speaker 3: Drive four hours to come down here to bring it to us, and so I'd buy the big, big jars of it. I would buy four or five of the amount of time just to stock up. And then unfortunately she stopped making it, and I found somebody that's about an hour away from here that started making it. And I tried the stuff, and honestly, it's not the same. I don't I don't know why, but like their stuff isn't as concentrated I feel like. And it did okay, but it wasn't the same as taking that lady.
Speaker 2: Is that we did no, I believe you. Although I do have that plug. And you know what, I don't mind giving this guy a shout out because A he's a homie and B I love his product, So cock Eyed Farms. Anybody who's curious go check them out. That'd be my homeboy. Well, Louren Brow is the wife Brandon bro. He's the farmer that does it. Elderberry blueberry whipped honey, it is so fucking good. But then also the elderberry juice and everything else that he has on his farm phenomenal. But yeah, so he's a Louisiana based farmer. We talked about him a couple of episodes ago, as a matter of fact, when we were talking with the Laughing Buddha Nursery, which, believe it or not, I don't know if you, well, no, you weren't on the episode for that one, but it was a guy who my brother in law is friends with him through just the farming community, and he was telling me about his whole setup. Today, as I was leaving a meeting that I had in New Orleans, I found myself outside of his nursery that he started before he started his homestead farm situation, and it's still operating in metaury and I'm just like the world just keeps getting.
Speaker 3: Smaller, smaller every time every time. He actually has a phone number. If anybody wanted to contact Brandon, it's two two five eight zero six eight nine three one, or you can email them at Brandon Brandon Atcockeyedefarms dot com and I'm sure you can reach out and see if he actually is able to deliver.
Speaker 2: They have a web from mistake. Excuse me, Yeah, I'm sure you could go online. It's www dot Cockeyedefarms dot com. Order some of his shit. It's amazing, it's so good anyway, all right, So back back to the point, right, the Elderberry's and the honey. Back to the bee conversation. Now, another thing that we had brought up earlier, the destructor mites that they have, the vero veroa veroa mites. I'm gonna get that word right. These things are a it's basically a plague on the bee population. And I don't believe that this was manufactured by humans or anything like that. However, there is laboratories that are genetically modifying bees to be able to fight back against these things. But this is another issue that has led to the colony collapse disorder, because you got to understand, colony collapse disorder is something that they can't pinpoint an exact reason for it. There's a lot of hypotheticals, but it's almost like a sudden infinite death syndrome, right Like, there's a long list of hypothetical reasons for why this is happening, but it's also very possible it's like ten different possible options. So the colony collapse disorder. One thing that they're finding is the verroamites within some of these hives that is leading to the mass destruction. So we're gonna get into this article. We're not going to read the entire thing because it is quite lengthy, but that's fine. That's fine. That's what we're here for. Honey bees learn to fight deadly verroamites. In the face of colony collapse, some beekeepers are foregoing insecticides and opting instead to breed bees with mite resistant behaviors. Let's dive into it here. So the rise of the resistant bees. Since the mid nineteen nineties, researchers and beekeep have observed mite resistance in several wild and domestic bee populations. More recently, scientists have linked it to a set of behavioral behaviors collectively known as baroa sensitive hygiene or VISH. These behaviors include cleaning and removing larva in parasited or parasiteized cells, removing adult mites from the bodies of adult bees with a grooming behavior, and uncapping and recapping infested brood cells, which may disrupt the mite's life cycle with Asian honeybees. Or While Asian honey bees had hundreds of years to adapt to the mites, scientists have found that it might not take that long for bees to develop a natural resistance behaviors. A decade ago, a group of scientists started taking a hard look at samples of wild bees collected around Ithaca, New York from nineteen seventy seven to twenty ten, a period which conveniently spans the introduction of the varoa to the US. Conveniently, indeed, you know, but okay.
Speaker 3: Just conveniently, we just centered do something that kills off the bees.
Speaker 2: Right conveniently when we're trying to push for less of a bee population, and this might just happens to get introduced is around the same time that this organization started heavily watching the bees. Interesting how that ties together, But anyway, they found that when veroa was first introduced, the population of wild bees plummeted, but they didn't go extinct. In response to this new pressure, the bees adapted. The scientists found that by twenty ten, these wild bees exhibited two hundred and thirty two genetic changes. Holy crap, So from seventy seven to twenty ten, so a little over forty years, they are already showing developmental changes two hundred and thirty two genetic changes. While scientists don't fully understand the consequences of these changes, they were also able to determine that about half were related to pupil development, a key period for the mites and the bees, because the mites breed in the brood cells that house the bee larvae as they developed into pus pewpe pupa, you know what I mean. Scientists also found genetic changes related to B dopamine receptors, body shape, and wing size. While these adaptations require further research, they have hypathestized hypothesized Jesus that the changes in dopamine receptors encouraged grooming, so bee keepers breed to fight the mites. Many bee keepers are now watching their hives closely for these behaviors. The b Monks in West Virginia, for instance, open their hives once a month from May to October to do a veroa might count. By observing the bees, they can sometimes catch glimpses of vsh behaviors like grooming in action, but the real data comes from the might counts. In Vermont Troy Hall of Hall apiaries, which an apiary is a spot where there's tons of beehives, essentially opens hives in the field during the summer and examines the pupa in To measure vs H. He looks to at the percentage of reproductive mites, those with mites, and non reproductive mits in the brute, because colonies with VSH traits will remove pupe with reproductive mits and ignore non reproductive mits. The higher the percentage of infected cells with non reproductive mits, the more VSH traits the colony displays. Hall uses the colonies with high levels VSH traits to breed new generations of bees for his apiary. Hall began raising mite resistant bees around twenty years ago and was skeptical of traditional treatments like amatraz from the start. Early on, he said, I decided it would be best to develop systems of management that would be good for the future. The earlier years were tough. When he started with around one hundred hives, there wasn't much advice available for beekeepers looking to take on this journey. We had no real way to measure resistance, he said. The only logical way was just to withhold treatment. It was simple. Those who survived were bred. No one was sharing methods or success at the time. We all had to be our own trailblazers. For many small beekeepers, that's still the breeding method in Pennsylvania. Michael Scott. Michael Scott, of course, who's that the office and beside the point, who goes by? The renaissance beekeeper doesn't monitor for VSH, but he does carefully select his bees. His most successful b yard started with a few untreated hives that survived when all others failed. He still adds to his b yard, but only with colonies that survive into their second season. Dennis Fletcher, a hobbyist beekeeper and retired operating nurse in Kentucky, believes that one of the keys to good beekeeping is being open minded. After researching VSH, she spotted signs of it in her own hives, but these days, she says, I'm pretty hands off. Fletcher isn't up for the kind of frequent monitoring that hall and be monks perform. Instead, she is experimenting with time oregano and wintergreen essential oils, which may be effective in killing varoomites and reducing disease issues. Wow, so Anyway, Like I said, the article is quite long and we do not have to read the entire thing, but basically, these mites are a real problem for bees and bee hives, and now they're starting to find ways of fixing it genetically within the bees. Actually, speaking of we have an a little video pulled up here that's going to give a better deep dive into the vera mic conversation. Again, for anybody that wants to see this, please come to patreon dot com slash call it the Conspiracy Podcast link in the description below to see what the hell we are talking about rather than just hear it without further ado. Let's learn more about these mites that might be causing the destruction of so many beehives.
Speaker 1: Here's a go to recipe for bee keepers. It's called a sugar shake. Take a half cup of bees that's about three hundred, Put them in a jar and cover them with a mesh lid. Add two tablespoons confectioner sugar. Shake for thirty seconds. We're going for a nice even coat. Empty the sugar onto a tray and there you have it. Frosted. Varroa mites aka Varroa destructor. They're a honeybee's worst enemy. The fine powdered sugar made them lose the grip they had on their hosts. A minute ago. The mites were on the bees in the hive. It's as if you were carrying around a tick the size of a dinner plate. Every year, up to half the managed honey beehives in the United States die from hazards like pesticide exposure, lack of flowers to forage on year round, and Varroa mites.
Speaker 3: To feed.
Speaker 1: Averroa mite nestle between the bees protective plates. It digs in with its gnarly mouth, the nathosoma. The mite sinks it into a crucial organ called the fat body. It's a layer of tissue that lines the abdomen, sort of like the human liver. The fat body helps the bee break down harmful stuff, including pesticides, and it maintains the bee's immune system, so when verroamites attack the fat body, they seriously weaken the bee. The mites can also transmit a virus that causes a bee to be born with deformed wings no good for flying. Let's go back to the sugar shake. Beekeepers use them to monitor the verroamites in their hives. As few as three mites per half cup of bees could kill a hive within them year. That's because varroamites are great at sneaking into hives, hiding, and reproducing like mad. The first mite gets into a hive by hitching a ride on a bee from another colony. Maybe the bee's own colony wasn't doing well and it was looking for a new home. The mite sniffs around for a bee larva and sneaks in right before the bees cover the cell with wax. The defenseless larva is now trapped with its enemy, which begins to feed. As the larva grows into a pupa, the mite, called a foundress, starts her family. Take a look underneath this bee pupa. The mite's firstborn is all always a son. The rest are daughters. They're hard to tell a part when they're young. When the siblings come of age inside the cell, they'll meet up on this pile of mite poop. Maybe they're guided by the scent and they'll mate with each other. Sometimes two foundresses make it into a cell, then.
Speaker 3: Their offspring get to mate with someone there.
Speaker 1: Not related to The mites live off the bee puopa, but they don't kill it. When the bee is all grown up, it choose its way out of the cell. The mite slips onto its next victim. So why don't the bees just pick those mites off themselves. Well, we didn't start seeing veroamites in the US until the nineteen eighties. They evolved on eastern honeybees in Asia. That's why the western honeybees in the Americas and Europe aren't yet good at defending against them. When bee keepers find mites in a sugar shake, they treat a hive with pesticide strips that kill the mites, But mites are becoming resistant, so researchers are selectively breeding honeybees to fight back. The US Department of Agriculture and private companies are breeding bees that can sniff out veroamites. When the bees find some, they uncap the cells and interrupt reproduction. The bees then recycle the unlucky PUPA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're eating it.
Speaker 1: At Purdue and Central State Universe Cities, scientists breed honeybees known as mite biters. After collecting sperm from a mail bee, they inseminate a queen. Both the queen and the male come from colonies that are particularly good at killing mites by chewing off their legs. It's a grisly end for these tormentors and just maybe a fair shake for the honeybees.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we learned a little bit about the mites there, and now that there are laboratories, they're actually genetically breeding bees in order to eat the mites or at least eat their legs to where they're unable to move around and reproduce. In all of these things, so it's even further showing that nature versus you know, science on this in certain cases, scientists are helping nature to fight and defend itself. I agree that seems to be doing well, but.
Speaker 3: They were already mutating on their own two hundred and thirty two times in forty years. Is in scene to mutate all on their own, but then increasing that to help fight this off. Hopefully that will at least eliminate these stupid mites that were introduced to them.
Speaker 2: Which and again, this is not the only reason why colony collapse disorder is happening, although it is a reason why it has happened. But I also want to point out that she brought up a very good point the narrator there this was she said, half of the managed bee hives that go down go down because of these mites and things like this. But again the very critical statement there managed hives. And I feel like that's a point that a lot of people are missing whenever they're talking about how so many bees are endangered right now and all these hives and they're collapsing and all this. We don't have any record of hives in the wild going down like this. It seems to be only managed hives that are in the real mix of the conversation. I'm sure there are certain hives in nature that also get disrupted from a litany of sources. Sure, but it's not as much of as what we see with managed tives.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that they're tracking the managed hives more closely. They're monitoring instead of I don't know specifically, if they're out and doing management of the local you know, beehive population, but you'd have to find all the hives and then continuously monitor them. They did have this cute little camera that they put on bees. It's like a little tracking thing. They capture the bee and they put it on the bean and this a little tiny monitoring theod go pro. Yeah, pretty much. It's like a little grow put and go pro. Wow my words, I got words now? Are I know? But yeah, it follows them all around and where they go in the flight patterns because they they track them just like they do with sharks. They they track their flight patterns and trying to see where all the bees are going and what they're doing and where they're collecting and if what they're if the areas are that collecting in, what is what is the environmental factors that are causing issues within the hives? Is there any does it change the way that the the honey is and what does it tastes like and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Wow? Okay, so all of this to be said, CCD is an issue. But talking about the conspiratorial side of things, there is some there's some rather interesting and in my opinion, some funny possible conspiracies surrounding the bag population. Uh. Some are even suggesting that they might be tied to aliens, which is great, that's that's phenomenal.
Speaker 3: There's two actual conspiracies with aliens. One is that aliens are taking bees. So the bees that are just disappearing from CCD that they just you know, wherever they go to, it's actually aliens that are coming and taking them to experiment them, experiment on them, or use them for some purpose.
Speaker 2: Using to pollinate their planets basically.
Speaker 3: Maybe, I mean they've been around since Crestaceous, thank you word, or the Cretaceous.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Crestaceous is like crabs and tripp Cretaceous period.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've been around since then, So.
Speaker 2: There also might be some to be said for that if aliens are at In case they are real in this conversation, let's just assume that that's a statement that's real. And if they were to come to Earth and find the hardest working organism that we have on this planet, it would make sense that they would just snatch up whole hives of bees.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, it's a super organism. How bees are and how they're interconnected, and how they work with each other, and the hive mindset and all this stuff. It's crazy in and of itself. How they adapt genetically they're built for their jobs is crazy that they actually have that already pre program into them. So I guess, in a sense, if I was an alien, I would be looking for something that could potentially save my planet or help in some way also, you would definitely be it.
Speaker 2: They say that aliens might have a hive mind in and of themselves, so that might also speak to that language, so to speak.
Speaker 3: So the other conspiracy is that honeybees are actually alien secret agents.
Speaker 2: Okay, go there.
Speaker 3: And because so, honey bees actually see colors differently than us, like completely differently than how we see color, and they can also they also see polarized light, they sense electric fields, and they have a magnetic sensitivity to the Earth's magne field in and of itself. So the theory is is that they are like super soldier, sneaky flying around, I guess, keeping track of all of us. I try to find a lot of information into this, and I couldn't find a bunch. But it was actually written in one of these big articles that was produced by a b group and it was kind of just going over talking about different conspiracies and it highlighted both of them. And I was surprised that they actually discussed aliens with bees. But then I found a small podcast talked about it on YouTube. It was like a minute long video. But they're like, yep, nope, bees are definitely connected to aliens. And they're being used for nefarious purposes to be to track us and record back. And I'm like, why would bees, of all people, all the different things, why would bees be? But apparently bees and aliens are a vibe, ah, a.
Speaker 2: Vibe because they both speak with vibration. I love it, And I don't know what you might be thinking, good cult member listening. Wait a minute, bees couldn't survive in space. That's not how that works whatsoever? What hell o contrere mon frere. As a matter of fact, NASA didn't experiment where they sent bees into space to see how they would act in a sub gravity or minimal gravity situation. There's a couple of different reasons to why they may have done this. One of them would be that if we are going to colonize Mars or colonize any planet whatsoever, we're going to need fruits and vegetables on that planet that we can grow in order to sustain ourselves. And if you are growing these types of things, you're going to need bees. This is the way it works. So let's get into it. Here it says bees in space. This is from science Iowa. Let's talk about it. Make no mistake about it. Humanity has set its sights on sending people to Mars. However, there are countless challenges to overcome. How will they get there, they safely land, how will they stay safe from the harsh Martian environment? And what will they breathe and drink? And a big one, what will they eat? Creating food on the surface of Mars rather than bringing it or delivering it will be important for people to want to stay there for a long time. Now, one out of every three bites of food that people eat wouldn't exist without the working of pollinators, which in this case would be bees, which are animals that help plants reproduce by carrying pollen between them. Bees are among the most important pollinators and they could be very helpful for creating sustainable Martian agriculture. Now, yes, I understand this might sound crazy Martian agriculture. Listen for this. Let's just assume that physics is real, science is real, in that space is an actual thing. Right, Just let's get that out of the way. Now that being said, I have no idea what the soil composition is on Mars. They say it's got a lot of iron oxide on it, which is why it's red fine but if they were able to get some sort of agrig bull land situation there with a microorganism, I saw they showed signs of it anyway, And they don't. They're not saying one hundred percent that it is a micro organism that caused these marks. But the only thing that could have caused these marks is a micro organism. It's like scientists are like super leary to stake their reputation on it and put their name with it. It's and for anybody who doesn't know, it's basically these it's like holes that have been eaten away on certain types of rocks and the way that they were eaten. They are saying that while they can't confirm that something living did this, the only time that this happens on earth is by a living organism that ate it and did this. And so it's this weird. It's like an unspoken truth that scientists are finally acknowledging, Like, Okay, Mars at one point in time had to have sustained life for this to be this way, But nobody wants to be the one to put their name on and say, yep, Mars got it. So anyway, but that to be said, we don't know what type of organism. We don't know what the biological makeup of it was, We don't know. There's a lot of unknowns here, and I understand that. But if they were to either bring soil or make the soil on Mars ag aggregable, excuse me, if they were able to melt the ice caves, get water on there and make a real farming situation happen. Hypothetically speaking, it would also stand a reason that they would need pollinators, and of course bees would be the natural choice for that. So I can at least understand why they felt strongly enough about this to put them on the Discovery mission and put them in space, just to see how they would act in an environment without the same type of gravity that they've been used to dealing with for the last arguably one point six billionaires or some shit.
Speaker 3: I'm curious how that went, Like, how do they like vibrate around in zero gravity?
Speaker 2: Let's learn about it together, everyone, here we go. Could you imagine what Martian farm would look like? A fun fact using resources like water, oxygen, and food that are created at an extraterrestrial destination is known is known as in situ resource utilization didn't know that while about five hundred and seventy humans have been to space, more than thirty five hundred bees have been to space. Three thousand, five hundred bees have been to space. Here are a couple of times that they made the journey. In nineteen eighty two, NASA sent about fifty insects to space, including fourteen honey bees, as part of an Insect Flight Observations at Zero Gravity experiment. The scientists made observations about how well these insects could fly at zero gravity. According to what they observed, honeybees had a lot of trouble figuring out how to fly. It might have been related to the fact they couldn't figure out where they were headed, or perhaps they didn't have high enough quality food. There's other details on the experiment that you could check out if you're really interested. In nineteen eighty seven, this scent thirty five hundred bees with the A comparison of honeycomb structures built by APIs milifera experiment Okay. The scientists monitored how well the bees were able to create their honeycombs and found some very promising results. While a few of the bees died and they were able to They were able to create honeycomb structures nearly identical to the ones bees make on Earth. The bees in the colony also seemed to be able to navigate around their model better than the ones that were a part of the nineteen eighty two experiment. These two experiments are more than thirty years old at this point and were a part of NASA's Shuttle Student Involvement programmer SSIP that gave students the opportunity to propose experiments for flight on now retired space shuttles. The more most recent best arenaut quote unquote took flight in twenty thirteen during the Megachile Rotunda pro Preception Okay and Flight Patterns in Microgramvity experiment that was aboard SpaceX CSR fifteen that was the Commercial Resupply Service mission. The students that designed this experiment selected a species of solitary bee known as alfalfa leafcutter bees. They differ from honeybees in that they don't live in large colonies. Because of their solitary lifestyle, they happen to be super efficient pollinators. You could see from a video that they seem to have these same problems flying that the honey bees experience in nineteen eighty two. There's still so much to learn about how different types of pollinators might respond to zero or low gravity environments, as well as enclosed space habitats. Understanding how they react to these environments can help us plan for the future of horticulture and agriculture on Earth and space. Maybe the key to helping them fly in these situations is raising the bees in space from the time they hatch from their eggs, or perhaps we'll need to replicate earthbound forces while we're in space that the pollinators will be able to get around.
Speaker 3: So I was thinking about that, Yeah, what if they adapted. If they adapted that quickly to the mites, and they've adapted to everything that has been thrown at them, what if they just were raised there? I wonder what that would do.
Speaker 2: So they had they were able to fly in zero gravity, but they weren't able to get a real good sense of direction. Now, with that being said, I'm wondering if maybe, because like you said, they are magnetically sensitive, right, and so on Earth we have magnetic poles, they're able to get a good sense of direction and bearing based off of their own natural inhibitors. On a spacecraft, there's all kinds of components and electrical things that have magnetic poles on it, which would be throwing them all kinds of wild signals. So to your point, maybe if they were hatched in space, maybe they'd be used to it. Maybe it would take a couple of generations for them to adapt to that. Keep in mind, in forty years, they had over two hundred adaptations that they were evolutionarily able to make, So it's very possible that in a couple of generations on a space station these bees would be just fine. But the other side to that is they as far as they're flying goes, if they're in a zero gravity environment with nothing to pollinate. I'm wondering if that might have been an issue too, because at that point they were just building a honeycomb to build a honeycomb. They weren't like trying to pollinate a plant species that they use for food or anything like that. So I'm wondering to what level that would go if they were trying to actually have some sort of an agriculture or horticulture situation in space, would they be more directed to go straight to the pollen regardless of what the magnets was telling them, or what the air temperatures or whatever the case else was.
Speaker 3: I wonder if they could build like an experimental room at the space station and have them raised there and then have the actual plants that they want and everything like that, and let them out and see if they are able to pollinate on their own effects efficiently. Maybe in that kind of environment. Because you think about all the movies they you see about space and they always have those, you know, massive areas that have all the food in them. I'm wondering if it's something like that where they're able to get there, you know, I guess the wings about them and figure out where to go and stuff. If it was already set up how it would be here on Earth.
Speaker 2: Maybe, But at the same time, it is very difficult to replicate a zero gravity environment on Earth, Like I'm usually when they're doing that kind of stuff, they're using wires and shit like that.
Speaker 3: No, I meant to take the bees up there and just experiment, like create an entire just like room I guess or something of where you have a whole bunch of plants and see if they're able to figure out can you know, are they able to actually do it on their own, or does it take interesting or does it take generations of reproducing to get to whatever adaptation? What would be the first adaptation? How long would it take for them to adapt? Would they have to change their wingspan? Would they have to change how their vertebrae is? What would they need to change to be able to adapt? And the only way I think they would be able to do this is taking them up there and having them stay long term at the space station.
Speaker 2: I think you might be onto something, but again, that's going to space. Even with SpaceX that they were doing for the resupply thing, that's an expensive endeavor. So we would have to get we're not us, but we as a human race would have to get enough resources together to say yes, if we plan on doing X, Y, or Z things. As far as whether that's inhabiting Mars or whether that's.
Speaker 3: Just they're already going to colonize it. Though that push for that girl already signed up, the twenty six year old to live there for indefinitely. I mean that's been a conversation though since God I was in the Marine Corps, so you know, early two thousands and stuff. It's been a conversation of inhabiting Mars, and I truly believe that they're going to probably build those those huts whatever they're called. There's like a special name for those little hexagon huts they want to build. Is as long as they can figure out how to sustain themselves until the next resupplies, I'm sure that they're going to continue. They're going to start doing.
Speaker 2: That, and so maybe bees will be a part of that.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting. So to that point, the whole conversation about our bees connected to aliens or something like that, we know for sure, at least at one point in time, they were put to space to see how they would function, and the first experiment didn't go too terribly well, but they were able to form a honeycomb, they were able to fly. So now the next point of that conversation would be can they pollinate in space? So we will just have to wait and see.
Speaker 3: My other thought process to the bee situation on Mars would be making fake bees of some type, or making some type of fake you know, artificial intelligent type situation, because that way you don't have to deal with the loss, the devastating loss of an entire colony. If the queen dies or something gets spread through them, maybe there's some kind of weird microorganism that would take them out.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny that you mentioned this, because the next thing that we are going to be bringing up as a matter of fact is earthbound pollinators that they are trying to use robotic pollinators to replace bees. And to your point, if this does work successfully on Earth, why wouldn't it successfully work in space. So we're gonna go ahead and check it out at this time. As bees die, NASA inspired robot could fill the pollination void. Check this shit out.
Speaker 5: We've taken a lot of the autonomy tools that we developed during the NASA Centennial Challenge and we're bringing it back down to this earthbound application.
Speaker 4: Well know that the bees are dying.
Speaker 10: Bees are dying, and we are having an issue with pollination capability for our crops.
Speaker 4: So we need to find a way to keep up with the agriculture without necessarily relying on the beast.
Speaker 3: This is our pollination robot.
Speaker 10: This robot has to drive around in a greenhouse and make decisions about which flowers to pollinate.
Speaker 1: We have to be able to navigate or you can detect a flower that is ready to be pollinated.
Speaker 10: We want to use a robotic arm to pollinate each flower individually, and.
Speaker 2: They should be able to do all this completely autonomously, so you can see all.
Speaker 10: Of the objects that it's detecting. A lot of the same technologies and techniques that we learned through a Centennial Challenges definitely apply to this project now.
Speaker 9: So if we can parliament flower, we can probably pick fruit.
Speaker 10: Possibilities around us.
Speaker 9: Definitely think the Centennial Challenge helped a lot in making this project possible.
Speaker 2: So the Centennial Challenge put on by West Virginia University, if anybody wants to look into that, it's literally what we're talking about. Autonomous robots that are able to pick out which flowers or which fruit or whatever else is ready to be pollinated and then doing it artificially.
Speaker 3: Man, they've taken the job of humans and bees.
Speaker 2: Oh they really are. And then let's go to this next one over here, Technion Israel Institute of Technology. Yes, Israel's getting their shout out here too, Jews. They are actually creating drones to replace bees. Many drones.
Speaker 3: Many drones tiny like the size of your thumb, so like nano technology.
Speaker 2: Not well, I guess technically speaking it b nano, but essentially it's a drone that's like the size of your thumb that is gonna be able to pollinate in place of bees. Check this shit out. It's mind blowing. And also gonna leave the mics on because I don't think they have a lot of speaking on this one, so we're gonna be describing what we're looking at here. So they got this little robot with a launch pad and there's four little drones on it and more like the palm of your hand size. Now on screen, Now I'm gonna turn the bees down a little bit. Here on screen, they're showing these drones that are it's a simulation, but they're able to hit all these key points on these trees. But you couple this with what we just watched. West Virginia University just developed their centennial project. Now we're showing real life to sit in a simulation. These are real drones on a real plant that are able to hit and pollinate in this way.
Speaker 3: So it's seeing that these three drones were able to experimentally polliny on one hundred and seventy eight and now they these three drones are actively pollinating fifty two flowers.
Speaker 2: We're watching it in real time. These drones are replacing bees.
Speaker 3: That's insane to me.
Speaker 2: And this is from two years ago.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the technology is probably already completed.
Speaker 2: This point, absolutely, and that's it. In just that time, less than thirty seconds, we watched them pollinate.
Speaker 3: That entire report shows poliny in three minutes, fifty two flowers. The jone yep stayed sea distanced.
Speaker 2: Away YEP, so they didn't actually interact with the wildlife. It's not like the little blades or any risk of cutting the flowers or cutting the leaves or anything like that. The target allocation algorithm adjusted the parameters five times in that three minute span. No downwash interferences were observed, and there was a position ere of give or take point one meters, so a millimeter tolerance.
Speaker 3: I can't like, I feel bad for replacing the bees, but I'm also this is quite effective. I mean, fifty two flowers in three minutes versus how I wonder how long it takes an average bee to pollinate.
Speaker 2: Ie, no idea.
Speaker 3: You know that's something. I'm going to sit here and look up while we watch this video.
Speaker 2: We can totally google that. I mean, how long does it take for a bee to actually pollinate? I mean fifty two flowers. I feel like that's a weird, a weird number to throw out there, but since that is what was just done. It took these drones three minutes. And this was that was actually three drones. So it took three drones three minutes to pollinate fifty two flowers. So I'm very curious if bees actually have you know, are they more efficient at it?
Speaker 3: What the case was, I'm looking it up right now. I'm curious to see what it says. It says the time it takes for a bee to poliny a single flower can vary, but generally, generally a bee visits multiple flowers during each trip, spending only a few seconds to a couple minutes on each flower to collect. An overall, bee can visit fifty to one hundred flowers in a single collection trip. One trip, one trip, so that's an entire day. Wow, So these these drones were more effective in three minutes than an entire day work of a bee.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not good.
Speaker 3: That's really not good. But I guess my next question is, so, if it pollinates, is this just using it for commercial use, the ones where they have to bring in the millions of bees from the bee hives. Is that what they're going to use this for? Or is this going to interact with the bees in natural environment? Because if the bees are out there doing their work and these tiny little drones are out there, are the bees going to become more aggressive? Is it going to interact with its actual ability to find the flowers to pollinate with? Are they going to end up killing the bees somehow? I guess I have a lot of questions. I feel like this would be more of a controlled experiment of you know, taking it to the almond groves.
Speaker 2: Well that's the other thing too, It's about cost effectiveness at that point, right, I have no idea how much these drones and this whole rig in the computer system and all these things costs or what the upkeep is, Like how how long is this one of those drones going to be good for? Is one of these drones going to be able to last you an entire season, right? Or is it something that maybe at or a couple of weeks a little motor gives out on you or something like that. That's the other thing too, Even if it's let's say it costs. I don't even know what the average upkeep is on a bee hive as far as the cost is concerned, but they seem like they pretty much run themselves right once you build in the winter.
Speaker 3: In the winter is the how they got to keep them alive through the winter.
Speaker 2: But I thought the bees collect honey and survive that way through the winter.
Speaker 3: They kind of like seal them up in little plastic things to try to keep them alive and stuff like that. And then Japanese people were talking about going and checking them every month for mites. Yeah, so I mean, I don't really know. I feel like these these drones and the other robot would cost initial upfront way more than a couple million bees.
Speaker 2: But if it's that effective.
Speaker 3: But if it's that effective and last that long, then overall you'd replace bees. But then what does that do then for the overall population of honey bees? Because what happens to the bees once they're.
Speaker 2: Done and once they're not able to go get pollen, yeah, and make honey for themselves or survive. But that being said, if we are talking about terraforming Mars or something like that, this would be more effective, right, And when they did these experiments with the bees in space in the eighties, small nanodrone technology was something that was beyond the realm of sci fi, honestly, or at least that was that point. But now even they were talking about in twenty fourteen with SpaceX they brought bees up there. We didn't have the drone capability in twenty fourteen. Yeah, we had like predator drones and shit like that. You had the small little handheld with the raven I think is what it used to be called.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is definitely more advanced technology, more precise technology. So I'm curious to see this would make more sense for me how I was talking about the lab grown Yeah, situation, you could use either or probably, honestly the other one that there was. The other experiment makes more sense to me, But that would alleviate trying to bring live, you know, insects up into space.
Speaker 2: And that's the other thing too. Let's say that you were successfully able to breed a couple of generations of bees in space, and they could figure out how to do all that. What's to say that they wouldn't experience some sort of a CCD type of situation on Mars, and at that point you're fucked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're completely screwed.
Speaker 2: There's no way you're getting a whole new shipment of bees and then breeding them a couple of generations worth in space again to try again. So, now that this kind of technology is a real possibility, I'm wondering if they're even concerned about bringing bees to Mars or are they just gonna let technology and AI do the work.
Speaker 3: Probably not, I mean AI is taking over everything, But I mean I can see them just saying screw it, because there's so many interferences with how bees operate in space, would be hard to even try to predict what could go wrong, at least with this is the tain little piece of technology that you're just using to pop it pollinate for fifty two flowers in three months.
Speaker 2: That's insane. I didn't realize what that rate looked like as compared to actual live bees. That's one scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one bee takes any it takes all day to pollinate fifty two one hundred flowers.
Speaker 2: Wow. And now with all that being said, talking more about technology and bees, we now have to worry about the Chinese scientists that had created cyborg bees that can be controlled like drones for undercover military missions. Super not in the realm of conversation as far as the bee conspiracy that we keep hearing about how the bee hives are better than ever slash, they're all dying and shit. But as we're talking about conspiratorial things and bees and now we're talking about robots, I felt like it was only right that we at least give this its moment. This article was written in July of this year, twenty twenty five. So Seal Team b Okay researchers at the Beijing Institute Technology have turned innocent bees into cyborgs that can be controlled via a seventy four milligram insect brain controller WOW. As The South China Morning Post reports, the controller pierces the bee's tiny brain with three needles and uses signals sent via electronic pulses to make it fly forwards, backwards, left, or right. According to the reporting, the bee obeyed these commands nine out of ten times. The researchers are hoping that the tiny cyborg could allow the military to infiltrate hard to access spaces or be used in search and rescue missions to find survivors in natural disasters. According to a research paper, insect based robots inherit the superior mobility, camouflage capabilities, and environmental adaptability of their biological hosts. The paper reads, as quoted by SCMP the Hive Mind, the idea of turning real life insects into military agents is surprisingly widespread. We've already come across scientists turning cockroaches into crawling legions of desert recon operatives. Earlier this year, a team of Japanese scientists even controlled cicadas to turn their chirps into a rendition of the soundtrack of Top Gun, which is actually pretty cool.
Speaker 5: What.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't even know this was the thing.
Speaker 2: They were just trying to fuck with mother nature. They just can't leave shit alone.
Speaker 3: So surprised.
Speaker 2: The Beijing team is betting on the extended operational endurance of real bees, which makes them invaluable for covert reconnaissance in scenarios such as urban combat, counter terrorism, and narcotics interdiction, as well as critical disaster relief operations. Yeah, that's exactly what I need. I got a flood going on, Me and my family are trying to get to higher ground, and I got a bee that keeps buzzing around my head. Yeah, I'm gonna smack that. I'm gonna ruin their cyborg.
Speaker 3: It's always like the way that they decided to talk about stuff is well, this is for the betterment of people.
Speaker 2: It's always for the betterment.
Speaker 3: And they always played up to it's for the betterment of people. This is not nefarious. This is going to be some thing that's good for us, and then it gets taken and gone to complete shit, Like.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine that they're telling you that these bees are going to be able to help you, tell find you in a disaster situation, Then you don't know if the bee that's buzzing around your flower garden is actually spying when you're not.
Speaker 3: You know what this plays into my mind right now of the whole situation in the UK and how they're taking away their rights and how they it's pretty much a v for vendetta situation that's happening. So they're you know, how the trucks would go by and be listening to what people are saying. Absolutely, why do you need that when you just have now covert freaking bees of all things.
Speaker 2: I mean, they could have chose a better insect for it. But I guess they were successful in three needles to their little brain. That was all it took.
Speaker 3: I mean, they fly fast, so you have a higher chance of not being able to kill the bee than other insects, So I understand why they would choose that one.
Speaker 2: I guess this gives the whole fly on the wall a whole new spin, doesn't it. Oh?
Speaker 3: Kg, this is kind of creepy, like I mean, a lot of AI technology is creepy.
Speaker 2: Uh, which is why the creators of AI are all buying underground bunkers to hide from what's coming. But neither here nor there. But before an army of bees can infiltrate military targets as part of a futuristic covert operation, the researchers still have plenty of hurdles to overcome. For one, power delivery is still a major problem. The bees still need to be wired up to the controller to function, since a big enough battery weighs in at a relatively hefty six hundred milligrams, vastly more than the tiny load of the equipment itself. In future research, precision and repeatability of insect behavior control will be enhanced by optimizing stimulation signals and control techniques. The researchers are looking to expand the functionalities of the system to the point to where they can be used for quote, reconnaissance and detection missions. So China is already developing cyborg live bees.
Speaker 3: That's creepy.
Speaker 2: And you couple all of that with what we have learned already about the hybridization of bees and how they have adapted so quickly to whatever their environment tells them that they need to. Right forty years, they had over two hundred evolutionary changes just to stay up to date on everything and to stay as healthy as they could. Then we're talking about them going to space. Now we're talking about cyborg bees. And again, is there any real truth to this conversation? As we keep hearing on all these different news sources, half of them are saying that bees are dying in droves and we don't know what to do about it. The other half is saying the bee population is better now than it's ever been throughout recorded history. It's this big, crazy talking point.
Speaker 3: It just brings you back to who's getting money? Yes from all of this. So I watched this lengthy video kind of talking about the whole situation with the African hybrid bees. And the main point that the creator kept bringing it back to was, look, no matter what side you're on, either you're for keeping the bees, you're for the extermination of these bees. Either way, people are gaining money from this. Yeah, it depends on the development of whatever dot dot dot to try and see we need to create this experiment with this pesticide, this, this, this. They are gaining money from the problem that they created decades prior that is still having a trickling effect even right now because just these bees are going to stay here, right the bees are going to keep working and doing what they want to do is going to nature. And that that was a big thing, is that when do we stop being having our hand in nature? And it's it's a question as old as time of us continuously screwing with nature and then being like, well, that fucked up, Let's try something else. Hey, let's keep trying this until we get to the point where like maybe we shouldn't, maybe we shouldn't do that, and now we can't turn back, so now we try to manage our situations. I don't know which article is true. There's a lot of different information back and forth of if we're having a crisis if we're not. The commercial industry is talking heavily about their losses versus just normal everyday beekeepers in the backyard or native bees.
Speaker 2: Right, And with that being said, we actually have a TikTok that we're going to play here, and this guy kind of breaks down the overarching theme that kind of dispel and prove some of the things that we are hearing from the media. Let's listen. In million dollars in dead honeybee colonies looks like.
Speaker 9: First off, I am not critiquing this creator's video. I am just trying to add my two cents and a little depth to the conversation. And many people have sent me this video, so I thought it was a good one to interact with. The biggest takeaway that I want people to have from my video is that this is a commercial beekeeper issue, which means it's an agricultural issue. It's a food system's issue here in the United States. It is not an issue or hobbyist beekeepers to worry about, and it has no impact on our native bee population.
Speaker 2: This is a.
Speaker 9: Large issue because it affects how our food is grown and the pollination rates of that which can impact yields and there impact our wallets as potentially food costs go up. Because of this, our large scale agricultural system is pretty much disconnected from our ecosystems at large, mostly because of monocultural systems and pesticides. Because of our monocultural systems that we've created in this country, we have to artificially create pollination as well, because there's no ecosystem in those farms to create healthy and normal pollination services. So we invent it and we use commercial beekeeping operations to do so, and these losses are connected with that system solely.
Speaker 6: When you see.
Speaker 9: Statements above that say that this affects all be it's important to note that this is the industry talking about honeybees, and to a layman, this doesn't affect all bees at all. This is just commercial beekeeping operation. Seemingly, this is going to be devastating for our honeybee operations, our beekeepers, and our crop yields this year and beyond. But we need to start having the separation and conversation between our agricultural systems and our ecosystems, because they are currently as disconnected as they ever have been.
Speaker 2: I think that there's a lot of truth to what he just said. This seems like it is a for lack of better words, industrial beekeeping problem.
Speaker 3: So that's what I so. That article that he showed in the background, it was the article that's circulating all over social media's and I think what he was seeing and what I've found otherwise is that this article is discussing the virtualization of bees and that they're seeing massive losses, like one hundred and thirty nine million dollars worth of losses, and that their bees are dying at like seventy percent. And so people are taking that narrative and then running with it and saying that it's all bees. I don't know if that's true. I don't know, because I mean, it's you can't every other thing is saying different stuff, and so I don't really know for sure, but it seems like this is just an agricultural like, this is the commercialized side that they are seeing massive losses from.
Speaker 2: And there's some I think that's fair, right, But then we have other people out there that bring in experts that say that the entire conversation about the bee loss is not a hoax by any means, but it's also being perpetuated by certain media outlets. And it's the same type of media outlets that are telling you that global warming is a human problem because we're the bad guys. We did this, and in reality it's not so clear cut. There's nuances to all of it. When we're talking about the bee population here, I found this video here. This is from John Stossel shouts out the bee apocalypse another scare story the media got wrong. I would love to hear all of your take on this one.
Speaker 7: Have you heard about that other environmental crisis. Honey bees are dying.
Speaker 6: Something is killing America's bee population.
Speaker 7: For years, the media have talked about be.
Speaker 1: Apocalypse, bees dying off, disappearing.
Speaker 7: All the news shows cover the disaster.
Speaker 8: This might be one of the most interesting, disturbing, and puzzling stories to come along in a long time.
Speaker 7: Famous actors are sold of the b apocalypse.
Speaker 1: Thirty percent of the honeybees disappearing.
Speaker 6: That could have a devastating impact on agriculture.
Speaker 7: But wait, grocery stores still offer lots of baseball games are stopped until a beekeeper removes bees. Even here in Manhattan, the beekeeper sells millions of bees. Yet the media say bees are dying in droves. Now, about twenty years ago, some American bees did die.
Speaker 1: It's called colony collapse disorder.
Speaker 6: Beekeepers would come back to their hives and they'd be gone. All the bees are be gone.
Speaker 7: For several years, beekeepers lost lots of bees.
Speaker 3: So this is what you call a dead hive.
Speaker 6: Ye, empty box, no bees.
Speaker 7: But beekeepers adjusted. They rebuilt the lost colonies by splitting hives, dividing colonies at a big up, new hives. No one knows what caused colony collapse disorder, and after a few years it diminished. Since then there are thirty one percent more bees in America. They could have just googled bee population and they would have seen them going off.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, it's farcycle.
Speaker 7: Science writer John en Tyme runs the Genetic Literacy Project challenges scientific misinformation in the media.
Speaker 6: We're not, in any way facing an apocalypse involving bees. Things have never been better in terms of the numbers of bees globally.
Speaker 7: The numbers go up, but they're dying. Stories continued.
Speaker 6: Bees are disappearing worldwide. All you have to do is read the basic science on these issues, whether it's on the genetically. But he reads that they don't read that.
Speaker 7: Look, more people are going to watch the video that says you might starve.
Speaker 5: Do you like to eat?
Speaker 6: The disappearance of honeybees could have a drastic effect on our nation's food supply.
Speaker 7: Which could lead to millions of people starving in the following years. The media are so irresponsible. Time predicted a world without bees, even though this beekeeper who gave the magazine this bee for their photo shoot, would have told them.
Speaker 2: The bees will outlast you. They've been around since the Cretaceous period.
Speaker 7: I don't remember seeing Time apologize for its cover.
Speaker 6: Time has not apologized or even written a new article that puts this in science perspective. The New York Times, about five years later, had a cover story about the insect Armageddon, predicting catastrophe. We're losing insects around the world. We're not losing insects around the world.
Speaker 7: Did The Times ever apologize for its magazine cover.
Speaker 6: No, they skipped onto another crisis.
Speaker 7: There's always a scare.
Speaker 6: Catastrophe, exaggeration. That's what plays, that's what gets the clicks.
Speaker 7: And if you read their.
Speaker 6: Entire stories, they don't really have a lot of science. They don't have key scientists entomologists giving their opinions on this. What they have are the Environmental Working Group or Pesticide Action Network framing these issues.
Speaker 1: They're disappearing. That's why Greenpeace set itself a challenge to put a stop to the depths of thousands of fees.
Speaker 7: Activists make money by scaring people about loss of species.
Speaker 1: If we don't act now, every wild polar bear could be gone forever.
Speaker 6: Hysteria generates donations, and the oxygen for these organizations is money donated by people who think they're doing good.
Speaker 3: Why is it so important to donate to this fundraiser for Greenpeace?
Speaker 5: Because it's too hot, because it's too cold, because it rains, because it doesn't.
Speaker 6: Many of these environmental groups, their policies harm people in the United States and globally how well.
Speaker 7: One way is that the group's demand countries ban fertilizers and new pesticides, but the newest chemicals are often the best ones.
Speaker 1: Today's pesticides are safer than ever.
Speaker 7: The activists blamed pesticides for that colony collapse disorder, even though other countries using the same pesticides had no colony collapse. But the facts don't matter. The moronic protests continued, the company isn't doing enough to save the bay on old courses that be declined, but particularly pesticides, Even though b numbers are at a record high, gullible politicians bought the scare. Some places banned the newest pesticides.
Speaker 1: The European Union voted to suspend the use of neo nikots noise because of possible links to be collapsing.
Speaker 7: That meant farmers often used older, more dangerous chemicals that do kill bees. The natural food people say organic, you don't have to have the chemicals. Buy organic and you don't get them.
Speaker 6: They use chemicals extensively.
Speaker 7: Wait, organic farmers use chemicals.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's not like organic farmers can sprinkle organic fairy dust to get rid of insects and weeds.
Speaker 7: Instead, they use natural chemicals.
Speaker 6: An example is copper sulfate. It's one of the most toxic chemicals in the world. Organic chemicals, because they're not designed to be targeted in many cases, are far for worse.
Speaker 7: Sri Lanka's president listen to the activists and banned chemical pesticides and fertilizers. Suddenly, the same farms produced much less food. They were forced to go organic. Overnight and their production has plummeted, food prices row eighty percent. People invaded the presidential mansion, the president fled the country, and the new government ended the crisis only by making chemical fertilizer legal again.
Speaker 6: This attack on industrial chemicals is really a way for the environmental industry, and that's what it is to go after what they call big ag big corporations. It's really an anti capitalist movement.
Speaker 7: The anti capitalists supposed GMOs, genetically modified organisms. Environmental activists persuaded most European countries to basically ban growing GMO crops, but genetic modification allows farmers to grow more food on less land. It creates plants more resistant to disease and insects, allowing farmers to use fewer pesticides. GMOs benefit everyone, especially poor people. Scientists in Bangladesh and a better GMO eggplant.
Speaker 6: That's decreased the use of chemicals by eighty five percent, allowing the women and children who are doing most of the farming to live a much more viable life. So we really have to be smart about these things.
Speaker 7: We're not going to have being smart.
Speaker 6: Now we're following an outdated forty year old environmental script that just doesn't work in this technologically innovative world. They are outdated and they are hurting the very people, especially the developing world, that they claim to want to help.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm very curious what your take is on that, because I could understand the points that they're trying to make here. I'm not saying I'm pro GMO by any mean, But at the same time, if genetically modifying a plant makes it to where you have to use less pesticides in order to have a better yield, that sounds like an overall better situation, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I was actually just got me thinking when I was listening to them. There is a conversation a while back that genetically modified plants have less nutritional value, and so I was actually just looking it up and kind of just seeing it. It was saying that, no, they actually have more enhanced nutritional value. However, there's little evidences suggest that GMO foods are nutritionally superior overall, as many studies find no significant advantages from conventional organic foods, So it's kind of the same.
Speaker 2: I guess nutritionally speaking, it's the same. But if you're using less pesticides on the plant itself. That sounds like it's a better alternative.
Speaker 3: It does, I would actually, because for me, I've I've seen a lot of different information just kind of like this whole situation, mixed reviews, mixed information. You don't really know whoever is funding the reports or whoever is funding the studies and backing the scientists. They're going to sway their biased opinions in favor of whoever is giving them the paycheck. And I agree that's hard to find unbiased information, especially in a scientific studying. They're supposed to write it unbiasedly, but if you follow along where the money is coming from, they're going to have to sway their stuff. And statistics is actually quite easy to change and sway in favor of whatever you want, if anybody knows how to do statistics.
Speaker 2: So, but talking back to the bee conversation, for instance, in America, we have laws preventing the use of certain types of pesticides because it hurts bees. Other countries that do not have those laws, they're saying that the pesticides are the reason for the hive collapse. Other countries using those exact same chemicals have no hive collapse to be reported, or at least not to the scale that it is happening in America. I find that to be very interesting too. Now that being said, I don't know if this is the same genus of bees right like in America. Like you said, sixty to seventy percent of our bees have the African genome within them. I have no idea what other countries you know that was in that study have possibly African genome bees within them or whatever the case is.
Speaker 3: The CCD impacted Europe, Asia and US as well. We took the more brun in of the force, which I don't quite know why. I was trying to find information as to why we were so prevalent compared to other countries. I don't know if the genome situation is different. I mean, you have because you have different species, so potentially that might be the issue. I'm curious to see though, if GMO is not an issue, because I've read a lot of stuff that GMO is just like absolutely the worst thing ever.
Speaker 2: Well so many people have because it's genetically modified, so therefore it must be bad. But it's not inherently a true statement though.
Speaker 3: But then you go back to wheat sure. The conversation of wheat, our wheat that we have today, the green wheat that we have today has been genetically modified.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: It was originally modified to be more yielding, to produce faster. Same with potatoes, we modified them to change their genetic makeup to that way we could yield more because people were starving and they need food. Now there is a conversation that they did change and they were they are less and less nutritious than they were before. The conversation with the less nutritious actually has a lot to do with the towering systems where they have the whole warehouses, where you're having a ton of plants stacked in. It is a minute difference. I've read a lot about the vertical gardening and like the small differences versus coming out and being in the open. It's because you don't have the sun shining on the plant versus the actual lights. So there's a little bit of a difference. But if you're yielding more crops, then why wouldn't we go with the one that's faster and being able to yield more So.
Speaker 2: But that same spirit, for lack of better words, is the same conversation to why so many GMO crops have become so prevalent in this country because, like you said, if it's a minute difference, why aren't we leaning more heavily into that.
Speaker 3: There's so many things that we should be like that they're poisonous on a daily basis. So if you could eliminate pesicides, which is a huge factor, I mean, Sigenta owns everything. And I was noticing we read now three articles that were represented by the project APIs M. Yeah, three of the articles had that in it, and I was I just was like, oh, okay, so this this group, which is put on by tons of people and we kind of like looked into it is definitely funding all of these different types of conversations that we're having.
Speaker 2: Yes, So.
Speaker 3: I just don't see why. If it's not gonna harm us, and it might do better or do good, then why not do that instead of using appeal?
Speaker 2: Like but like you said, because so many people think immediately when they hear GMO, they think it's worse as opposed to when you hear organic. All of us, myself included you, everybody thinks that it would be a better alternative, and in a lot of cases it can be. But then we just that episode we did not too terribly long ago. The quote unquote term organic is a very very loose and liberal interpretation of what that word can mean, and not just from what this video showed us. With that the one toxic chemical that they are using that is technically speaking organic, there is tons of weird loopholes that you can use to get that organic label on your packaging.
Speaker 3: And the soil, the soil composition, what's in the soil, are they rotating the crops correctly? What kind of pesticides have they used in the past before that have seeped into the soil?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: The aluminum that's found in the bees, because they're getting it from that. Tons of bees have aluminum, high levels of aluminum in them, including honey bees, And like where are they getting that from? Because they're getting it from whatever the plants are growing in the dirt from. And then you have the whole conversation about water and all the chemicals that are in the water. This is a multifaceted issue that people are kind of just burying their head in the sand. They'll protest for bees, which, yes, we need the bees, and I actually have a whole bunch of save the bee shirts. I'm one of those people for sure, But they won't care about what's being in our water, what chemicals are doing that, what kind of chemicals are we using, or the appeal the appeal thing that they are putting on Bill Gates, whole situation, the spray, everyone knows about it. But like whole food took off the labels and so people just kind of accepted like this is a new norm. So I don't really understand. If the GMO plants are not actually hurting us in any regard, and they're lessening the pesticides and might help out the bees, why don't we just consider it as an option.
Speaker 2: I hear you. But then, just like we heard him say, and again, we looked up multiple sources that are saying that the bee population is actually doing better now than it has in the last forty years, and there are still some some issues. One hundred percent, there are hives that do die every winter. That is an absolute fact.
Speaker 3: On average of the hives are dying every winter.
Speaker 2: But somehow the bee population is at an all time high. They really two things can be right, right, two things can absolutely be true at the same time. But just like they said in that in that video, which I do tend to agree with. Crisis breeds funding, right, and if you can make something seem like you are the bad guy in it, you feel almost obligated to hand over money to help fix it or go. We have Al Gore getting a Nobel Peace Prize to talk about global warming because humans did that, and it's like, that's basically every bit of quote unquote science that he gave to the Nobel Piece group has been completely debunked since then. Not saying that the world is not getting warm, for sure, but to say that it's because of humans is at least in the scope that he was trying to make it out to be, is completely farcical. Now, if we're gonna talk about humans putting bad chemicals in the air and in the water with you one hundred percent, we need to figure.
Speaker 3: That's your revolution, though, is absolutely horrific for environment.
Speaker 2: That's true, But he was saying that it was all about the carbon and the problem with that is if you were to take the entirety of the human existence on Earth and combine all of that into an amount of carbon that we have given to the earth. The active volcano in Hawaii puts more carbon into our atmosphere every year than humanity has done in the entire time that we have been around, and we've only been involved with heavy industry for the last two you could argue three hundred years. So the reality of it is that humans, as far as the carbon footprint goes to the earth, is a fart in the wind compared to multiple other sources that happen naturally every year. Now, that's not the same thing to the chemicals that we are spraying into the air. It's not the same to the chemicals or pumping into our water and into our soil.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, that and defortization. I mean you're talking about we are just destroying trees left and right. Yes, and that it's contributing to at least the pollution in the air, which it has factors to potentially raising the heat at least in the world overall climate. But I don't know. I tend I've read a lot of stuff on both sides to it. I think that that we are naturally destroying a lot of the environment. We are more conscientious now though than the last hundred years of trying to at least reverse or protect something in the environment, But we still have decimated a lot of different ecosystems.
Speaker 2: Sure, but then you also look at that money's going, right, because it's all about the funding. You gotta follow the money. People shit on Trump for pulling out of the Paris Climba's Cord and the Green New Deal and all these things, right, but then whenever you look at it. Okay, so let's say that America was to do all these things and put in even harsher EPA regulations and all these things. The other nations on Earth that are involved in heavy industry have no EPA and they have no qualms about dumping all kinds of toxic sludge into the soil, into the water, into the air. So even if America was to like spearhead the operation of trying to take care of the earth, it's not gonna make that much of a difference on the global scale because other countries couldn't give a fuck less.
Speaker 3: Well, there is a guy in that has been fighting against the Gangi Kanji Gangee gange Gangee. Yeah, he is doing this whole thing and it's a huge it's a big project that they've been pushing and they've been fighting against. They actually have gotten regulations put on quite a few of the companies that have been actively dumping stuff into the GANGI and that's good. People are fighting back. People are trying to show not only are you impacting the entire environment, you're also impacting humans as well. You're causing a lot of health issues that happen. And same with the argument with pesticides. We know for a fact that there's been lots of lawsuits one over the amount of pesticides that have impacted people.
Speaker 2: I hear you.
Speaker 3: So that's it's just a conversation that people are consistently having trying to make their earth better. Yeah, it's just this weird argument though that like, at least we can acknowledge that we are impacting the earth, Like if you don't believe in climate change or you believe in those kind of narratives, at least acknowledge that, like maybe we are polluting a whole bunch of shit and we should probably try at least.
Speaker 2: To help it out. I can't disagree with that at all. I'm not saying that we're having no effect on the earth, for sure. I'm saying that it's probably not to the scale that the media would have you believe because they want you to be in a state of crisis. They want you to believe that things are exponentially worse than they actually are. That being said, I you know, I believe that we should be involved in heavy industry, but I also believe that we should look at cleaner ways to be involved in heavy industry, not just US, every developed nation around the world. I, for one, would like to leave a clean earth for my sons to hunt in the same forest that I hunt growing up, right, fish in the same waters that I fished in. I would like to take my grandson fishing in the same by you that I grew up fishing in. Right, And that's only going to happen if we cultivate this world and our good stewards of this earth for future generations. I think there has to be some sort of a balance and.
Speaker 3: Maybe stop, you know, releasing invasive species into locations that shouldn't be. Like the apple snail.
Speaker 2: Those things are delicious.
Speaker 3: You can't eat them. They're poisonous. Sure that the eggs are poisonous, but the snail ain't. No, I'm not touching no damn apple boys. App I was like lsu is just put out, like ten articles, and they're hosting this whole thing about how to kill the apple snails and how you should properly dispose of the eggs. But that's another huge problem. And this whole situation with bees. I mean, yes, the European guy did introduce a nice bee into our population, but it still had an effect on the native bees here that originated in America first before the European bee came over. Everything has unfortunately, we are continuously doing things to try and quote better the population or just not giving a fuck and just I'm just gonna release this. And then we come to this whole situation of hey, are the bees actually dying? Is there? What reasons are happening? What's impacting these bees? Is it because we need more genetically modified bees? Do we need to get cyborg bees? Like? What is it that we need the little drone bees?
Speaker 2: Ah? And that's the other thing too. Even if let's say those drones are able to become mass produced and all these farms around the nation start using those as a way to try to save the bees, right, let's make it less work for the bees and tired. They're so tired. They've been working for one point six billion years. We give them a.
Speaker 3: Bit six weeks, but like, yes, but that's what the point.
Speaker 2: Beside the point, these hives keep dying. Don't anyone think of the children? That's all we're gonna fucking hear, right, So the drones are gonna take over.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The bees are not gonna be able to pollinate, they're not gonna be able to bring any of the pollen back to their hives. They're not gonna be able to make honey, and then we'll actually have a real genocide on our hands as far as bees are concerned. And the only solution will be more technology, more drones, more AI. Obviously we need that.
Speaker 3: I mean, of course, that's the only way that we can survive any day in any way nowadays.
Speaker 2: Right. So with that being said, the gentleman that was speaking on that video that we just played, the one that was saying there's no actual science to back a lot of the claims that we're hearing. I did want to read one of the articles that he pulled up. This is from the Genetic Literacy Project, Science not Ideology, which is quite a bold claim. The b Apocalypse myth book or myth handbook, I should say, assessing claims of pollinator collapse. Now this is from March twenty twenty three, but I think it's worth diving into. Let's see myths and truths about bees. There is no catastrophic decline in the global honeybee population, and the use of pesticides is not driving health problems challenging wild bees, as many environmental groups continue to claim. In fact, honeybee high populations are rising in North America and globally, and they have been growing in numbers for years. The or yeah the companion claim that a class of pesticides known as neonick andtenoids yeah neoonicks for short, are fostering a global honeybee pollinator crisis is also not accurate. However, honey bees are perhaps bumblebees whose wild nature makes them difficult to catalog do face a range of health threats that are serious calls for worry, and those issues needs to be addressed. So what are the facts. Let's talk about colony collapse disorder. The honeybee population did face what appeared to be a crisis in the mid two thousands, when some United States beekeepers, mostly in California, began discovering that their honeybees had mysteriously abandoned many of their colonies, leaving behind the queen bee attending by too few immature worker bees to sustain the colony, yet with ample viable brood and stored food. The first report case classified as CCD was in mid November of two thousand and six by a Pennsylvania bee keeper overwintering in Florida. By February two thousand and seven, large commercial migratory beekeepers wintering in California, Florida, Oklahoma, and Texas had reportedly heavy losses associated with CCD, with losses ranging from thirty percent to ninety percent of their bee colonies. This phenomenon was dubbed colony collapse disorder or how we were effectually referred to it as CCD. No, not Catholic Catechism were talking about colony collapse disorder. What made CCD's appearance in the United States stunning and alarming was that episodes are being reported from widely separate, separated states across the continent. At first, genetically modified crops and later neonicotsnoid pesticides were fingered by environmental groups and some entomologists as the presumed casual agents. At first, genetically modified crops and later neonickeots nooid pesticides were fingered by environmental groups and some entomologists as the presumed casual agents or causal agents, I should say, But when the B colonies were examined, the CCD diagnosis emerged. Scientists quickly dispensed of the GMO argument, as each GM crop is different and there is no plausible explanation why a phenomenon noted in one region of the US would not also show up in other regions or countries using similar modified crops. But the use of pesticides or neonick in particular cause or contribute to CCD in two thousand and six or it did it. The scientific consensus now firmly says no. CCD is a historically common occurrence that predated the introduction of genetically modified crops and modern pesticides. Upon further investigation, CCD was known to be a centuries old, periodic phenomenon that by other names, has occurred periodically for centuries in specific locations. Limited occurrences resembling CCD were fully documented as early as eighteen sixty nine, and on the Isle of Wit or White not sure, Yeah, the Isle of Wight in the UK in two thousand and six and also in other parts of Europe and Egypt. There were reports of similar b behaviors and hives in the US in nineteen eighteen and nineteen nineteen, and thereafter it eventually became more widely known as disappearing disease. The focus of the nicotinoids as a contributing factor is more complicated. Neonichs are a class of systemic pesticide introduced in the early nineteen nineties and popular in the US, Australia, Europe and elsewhere to protect corn, soy, cotton, and canola farms. They have been embraced as a less toxic rep replacement for organs organophosphates, pesticides, which can be either natural or synthetic, which are known to kill bees and wildlife and have been linked to health problems and workers apply to the soil sprayed on the crop, or most commonly used as a seed treatment. Neonichs are absorbed into the plant, which is ingested by insects, discouraging pests from wreaking havoc on crops. The seed treatment lowers the amount of neonich used from ten to twenty fold, decreasing the need for open spraying of the plant a genuine sustainability benefit. Many of the media, media, and activists critical of conventional agriculture often conflate be health problems linked to CCD with health issues encountered by the wild honeybee population. From nineteen seventy two to two thousand and six, serrous reductions in hives were documented among feral honeybees in the United States, and recent studies, though fragmentary, appeared to show scattered declines among wild bees. The precise cause of the most recent CCD incident remains undermined or undetermined. The most likely is the combinations of factors that affect honeybe colonies. Health more generally are involved. But CCD has now come and gone, and it has been many times over the centuries. According to the University of Maryland's Dennis Van ingles Drop, who was a part of the team that coined the modern term CCD, no case of CCD has been reported from the field for the last eight years. So even though half of the hives are dying, as you're saying, they're actually saying that this is not a case of CCD.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not happening. Anymore, which I didn't realize that it had happened multiple times to around the world, let alone here in America. And wonder people think it's aliens. I mean, I can see it now now I understand because I was like, wait a minute, that's what I was seeking. When I heard you say that, it was like, oh, well, maybe maybe it's aliens.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're subducting.
Speaker 3: The aliens are just taking the hives. If they're just disappearing, where do they go, right, like straight up Antarctica.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe they're going through the ice wall. I don't know. So our honey bees in decline simply said, honey bees are not on the verge of extinction or irreversible decline, and the world will not face mass starvation. That's scare rhetoric. As The Washington Post reported in two separate features in twenty fifteen, call of the bee Apocalypse, US honeybee colonies hit a twenty year high, and believe it or not, the bees are doing just fine, advocacy groups claim, amplified in thousands of new stories, but not all are wrong, but the direction of the media narrative, like the path of the quarter million ton ocean liner, was establish in the late two thousands and does not turn and does not turn that around easily, particularly when the it serves that's a weird way to write this sentence, Okay, particularly when it serves an ideological conclusion that conveniently helps in fundraising for those who promote it. As always, people follow the money, despite claims to the contrary. According to the Independent Be Informed Partnership overseen by the Gentleman from the Maryland University, overwinter mortality of honeybees has steadily declined since two thousand and six, which was the peak of CCD. In fact, honeybee populations aren't declining anywhere in the world, despite many media headlines, they're rising. According to statistics kept by the US Department of Agriculture, Statistics, Canada, and un Foods and Agricultural Organizations, honeybee populations in the United States, Canada, and Europe have been stable or growing for the last two decades neo nix have been on the market. Furthermore, the worldwide trajectory for b colonies has been on an upper trajectory for over half a century. Here are a few charts that illustrate the upward global trends that overlap the introduction and use since the nineteen nineties of Neo nix, the central target of the anti chemical environmental groups. So for those that are just listening here, you could basically see that the population in nineteen sixty one was fifty million, the population in twenty sixteen was ninety million. That's and I'm not that's be high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's beehive which.
Speaker 2: That's pretty insane. Honey production it's been Yeah, it's a little higher now, but it's it's pretty much been flatlined. Canada honeybee colonies is up. European it went from about eleven million to just over twelve million worldwide b colonies. That's the chart that I read earlier. That was fifty million, and now it's eighty five. Well, was eighty five and twenty twelve, it's even higher now. Data produced by the EU, US and independent global agencies have not dissuaded many environmental groups from their fundraising campaigns featuring vulnerable bees. For example, over the much of the past decade, the Sierra Club, while requesting donations, sent out flyers highlighting the quote unquote fact that neo nicks kill honeybees. This is a direct quote from them. Bees had a devastating year, forty four percent of colonies killed, and bear and Syngenta are still flooding your land with bee killing toxic Neonik pesticides now among the most widely used crop sprays in the country. Finally, after multiple skulls from entomologists, Sierra Club retreated doing a Gish got gallop acknowledging that while honey bees are fine, wild bees are under siege and unchallengeable hypothesis since by their very nature, wild bee populations cannot be accurately tracked or measured. So they said, Okay, fine, maybe it's not the farm bees, but bees and the wild are under siege. There's nothing to back that claim, but they're running with it because again, follow the money, follow the money. Honeybees are at no risk of dying, while diseases, parasites, and other threats are certainly real problems for beekeepers. A total number of managed honeybees worldwide has risen forty five percent over the last century. Wow, And I think there's something to be said for that too. I feel like there's so many people that have bee boxes on their farms or in their yards now that thirty years ago that was like that was crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's become a real hobby situation. They a lot of people like to do it, and it's definitely picking up momentum.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Okay, So jumping ahead in the article a little bit here again, if everybody wants to find it on their own, it's the Genetic Literacy Project. Bees are under serious stress. Citing the growing number of beehives in North America or globally does not speak directly to the issue of be health and can be misleading. The honeybee industry is coping with the situation, but health challenges are real and in need of a number of wild bumblebee species also may be in decline, but there is so far no clear evidence of a widespread threat. Considering that the status of so many species is unknown and little tracking data exists, there is an increasing concern that wild bees are in fact facing epidemics spread by commercial honeybee populations. According to the USDA, by far the number one problem is the Vara destructor might which we learned about that earlier, which the agency calls the single most detrimental pest of honeybees, And we already talked about that earlier. Kind of how they spread and what they do to bees and all these things. But like we talked about, there are labs that are trying to genetically modify bees to be able to fight back against them like snift sniff mountain eat the legs off of them and shit.
Speaker 3: I mean that's pretty cool. I do like the sugar the sugar thing that they did to get them and to figure out if they need to actually spray down the collin or not. I thought that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Very true. But then you're talking about spraying down the with I mean, sugar gets them off at that one time, but that doesn't get it out of like the larva.
Speaker 3: But then it also said that they are again adapting and they're learning how to clean themselves and groom themselves for the first time, and that they're actually doing this now that they have certain bees that have decided that this is their task, they are going to room everybody.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So let's see lab versus field. Realistic studies and real life experience demonstrate pesticides mbs coexist. So what about the dozens of studies that have come out over the past dozen years linking neonis and other pesticides too large scale be losses. Important research is being done both in the field and in laboratories. What is the consensus. While neonicks have been implicated by numerous lab studies, scientists view those studies as informative but not definitive. The state of the arts are field research. There have been more than a dozen large scale field studies, mostly focused on honeybees, several on bumblebees, all foraging in neonick treated crops, four in Canada, one in the UK, and eight in Europe, the most most using good lab practices. They all reach similar conclusions. There are no conclusive observable adverse effects on bees at the colony level from field realistic exposure to neonicotoid treatment crops.
Speaker 3: Wow huh, but I mean what does that do to humans?
Speaker 2: Though? I mean ivape and nicotine is not harmful to humans. A lot of our vegetables actually have nicotine in them naturally, like tomato. Yeah, which I looked more heavily into that. I was curious, right, I saw somebody, some labs saying that, like in your garden, most of the vegetables have nicotine in them. One of the highest culprits quote unquote would be tomatoes. So I was curious if you were to take like tomato leaves and dry them out and like roll a cigarette with it. I'm just curious, would that give you a uh, would satiate the nicotine craving? Just curious. The answer is no, I know, shocker to the chagrin of literally no one. Yeah, that might be the highest nicotine yield in your garden, it is not a high enough yield to where you're going to eat enough tomatoes to satiate your need for a joe. So just to work clear on that, it's not the same thing.
Speaker 3: I know, so shocked shockus, yep.
Speaker 2: But that being said, so what does nicotine do to the humans? Nothing, as far as from the research and the science goes. At least two other recent field type studies, led by scientists known for their sharp criticism of the use of neoniks, support these findings. Their studies aim to document ever more subtle, sub lethal effects on either honey bees or bumblebees forging in neonick treated crops, including learning, navigation, and motor function impairments in individual bees. Both studies also report no observable adverse effects at the colony level to field realistic neo nic exposure. So there are real problems that bees are facing one hundred percent. And I'm not even saying that humans are not the cause of these there things. You're going to be said for that, but to say that the way that the media is spinning it, and the way that certain content creators are spinning it is to say that humans are the reason, and it's because of the pesticides, it's because we needed to look at more organic means and all these things. There may be a crumb of truth to it, but not to the level into the scale that we have been led to believe.
Speaker 3: I think that I wonder because the narrative has shifted over the last eight months so dramatically, what has also been taking place over the last like, you know, eight months a year. I think it plays a lot into the politics, a lot into the laws that are being passed. Each state takes upon and their own laws to protect the bee population, and that also plays into the industrial you know, people that are around here, we have syingena here and a lot of like there's a lot of environmental stuff that's being pushed and actually got xed out here. That's a huge issue for us. But how does that impact what's happening with the bees? What narratives is being pushed. Clearly they're from two different sides. Either the bees are all dying and we're going to be screwed, or we are good and the bees are actually thriving and everything will be okay. I think that also plays into the agricultural and how much our food is going to cost. So if the narrative is or if it's you know, the bees are actively dying in the commercial stutting, then our food cost is going to go up where we potentially could have a food desert. And you know, it all plays and ties into each other. Big Pharma has its hand and everything, every single thing possible, including the past sides. The pesticide companies we know, without a shadow of a doubt, are cool with poisoning us. Yeah, are cool with buying up the pills and everything we need, Like you know the Sigenta where they did the frog experiment. Hey, that these frogs are in fact going to get breast cancer and test sicular cancer, what are they do They go out and buy all the medication to help it. So clearly this is a much larger issue, but at least we could shine some light on the different conspiracies around it, the different things that are being said about it, and people can make an informed decision from there.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think you're onto something. They're also right now As of time of recording, it's the beginning of November. But what happened about eight maybe nine months ago that might have spawned this new conversation for this year? Right, Trump gets into office and he starts pulling out of all these environmental deals. People are pissed, some people are excited, some people are pissed. Awesome, Then he starts cutting funding to these for by his own emission, frivolous expenditures, right, And I'm wondering how money. How many of those frivolous expenditures quote unquote were environmental and nature And I remember quite a few of them that we even talked about on the show that Doe sh had found. One of them. There was a study being done by was it Alabama U where they were seeing how much of a leaf blower would it take to knock a lizard off a tree. They got like a quarter million dollars of funding to conduct that research. Okay, and that's listed under environmental Gotta protect lizards and all these things. So with cutting of the funding to all these different research groups, I could imagine a world conspiratorially, of course, where these environmental groups are making a push a scream in a direction to try to gain more funding. And it's an old narrative that they have been talking about for decades.
Speaker 3: I could see that I can see them using this, and especially this is a really good fear tactic. I mean, food and water are our main things that people will lose their absolute minds.
Speaker 2: Over, especially now as everybody is so worried about their snap benefits get taken away and all these things. They're talking about how they're gonna have people looting stores just for food and all that. We're talking about not just food abundance as far as what you're able to find on your shelf. We're talking about the potential of farms to not be able to produce crops if the bees go out.
Speaker 3: Yes, but the same energy is not being held. Right. But this is definitely one of those scenes that they can use as fear tactics. They can change the narrative and what they want people to use, what they don't want, you know, the the what is it they're creating those lab grown meats. The oh god, they cut three D printed meats.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's so fucking nasty. Like in theory that sounds fucking gross.
Speaker 3: It does sound really gross, but that it plays into it. You know, if you don't have enough lad and you don't have enough green, you don't have enough stuff to feed the animals, we won't be able to make more. So then it's like this vicious cycle of well, this is what we need to do, and so people are afraid. People will bow down and do whatever it needs they, you know, what they need to do to be able to get food and water for their families. So yeah, I think it's an interesting timing that we were finally gaining I remember seeing all sorts of stuff on Facebook. You know, the bees are coming back, everything's great, and then all of a sudden, you know, a few months later, everything is dying, and it's like, okay, So.
Speaker 2: Those two things can't be true at the same time.
Speaker 3: I mean, it could be a sense of maybe wild bee population, but I didn't remember reading about wild bees. It just said bees, so.
Speaker 2: That could be true too. It could be but again I have with the article how right, how are you measuring the wild bee population that's out there. When you have, give or take fifty million hives in this country of wild bees, and that's a rough estimate, there's no way of tracking every one of those.
Speaker 3: I mean, the qualitative and quantitative data for that would be damn near impossible to track. I mean unless they really were buckled and tripled down on actually finding a single bee for each hive and then following it back and then getting more bees for each hive. Yeah, I just don't see how that they could track if it was actually impacting the native wild bees versus the commercial bees. Yes, you're actively checking all the time.
Speaker 2: I just it sounds to me like if you were a doctor and you told your patient, by the way, you're doing healthier than ever, but also by the way, you have heart.
Speaker 3: Cancer and page four cancer.
Speaker 2: Right, So wait, hold on, what bro, don't worry. I got these one studies over here saying that you were the epitome of health, you've never been better. And I got these other studies they are saying you have six months to live and there's nothing we could do about it. So I guess we'll just.
Speaker 3: See how that's actually pretty much where they did with my grandma, not even joking you. So they kept telling her that she was the epitome of health and that there was nothing wrong with her. She was super healthy, everything was fucking awesome. But she kept having symptoms that just didn't make sense. And I kept being like, you need to go in, you need to get rechecked. Finally, I like I harbored on her enough, she decided to go in and just happened to see a different doctor that day. Yeah, and she was like, I you know, this is what's going on with me, blah blah blah. They do some labs and a week later they have her come in and they're like, so we have something to tell you, and she's like, okay, she had stage four cancer.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 3: She died less than two months later.
Speaker 2: So her doctors would did they know and didn't tell her? Or were they incompetent.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest with you, I don't really know. They did heavily push for vaccines with her, and they were like, you must take these vaccine, but they would tell her. She even read me the report and it said you're the epitome of health for eighty eight years old. She'd died less than two months later from stage four cancer.
Speaker 2: Now, I have no idea how fast cancer can take you. I guess it depends on the type of cancer, right, But you don't go from being completely fine to stage four in two months, do you.
Speaker 3: I mean, she had had to have had this for a good long while. The symptoms that she had had were for over two years at least, and I kept telling her, like, something's not right. She would go in, she would get all the blood labs done, she would tell a doctor. The doctor would prescribe her more medication, and he's like, you're.
Speaker 2: Trying the symptoms rather than treating the actual issues.
Speaker 3: She's like, you're fine. I don't understand. You're doing fine. Everything's coming back positive. You look great, you're losing weight, you look awesome, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: That's losing weight is not always a positive.
Speaker 3: But the thing but the thing about it was is that she was losing weight, but she had a distinded so it means her stomach was really pushed out. And it was like, if you would have just taken twenty minutes to like really look at her and listen, yeah, I don't know she would have survived. But she would have had a higher chance of being able to fight it. At that point, there was no fighting it. She got home to Oregon and died within less than two weeks of me being in there, and it was just it was then they told us we had eight months plus. But the medical system is as Kaiser in it. No, she didn't have Kaiser with She lived in Idaho and then moved to Oregon, but she, you know, had It was just crazy how they just kind of brush you off. My favorite line that they tell old people is you've lived a good life. You're sixty or sixty years old, You've lived enough good for you. We're not going to help you. They said that to my dad as well when he was dying. He's lived a good life he was. I was like, he's not even like sixty five years old, Like, what are we talking about here? Wow, But that's kind of the same thing. Like you've they just kind of push you off and here's some medication, here's this, and just keep on going.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely horwindous m h. But I mean again, I'm of the belief that it's more of a follow the money with that as well.
Speaker 3: Oh, one hundred percent, the medical industry is tied heavily into big pharma, and big pharma rules the world and it rules our food. In this whole situation with bees, it definitely pleays into it because as we were looking at articles and the groups that are participating in these experiments, they were obviously attached to big Pharma and they're obviously I'm sure if we spent longer, we could probably trace even more of the investors and go back into good old Bill Gates and everybody else.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't know. I do think that this an interesting topic to bring up. I think this was a fun episode. Thank you again Raven Lee for co hosting this one with me and good cult members. We want to hear what you have to think to say on this topic. Giving all the same shameless plugs as we always do. If you would like to experience the CBD and THCHC selzers, then go to the link in the description. When you go to the link, you will get twenty percent off your entire order. These selsers have five milligrams of THHC and one milligram of CBD per can. That is good feels Seltzer. Check it out and help support the show in doing so. Also Like I mentioned earlier, if you would like to experience real healing technology through sound frequency, then go to the link in the description to real Rife Technology and use the promo code Cult at checkout for ten percent off your order and free shipping to your door. If you would like to get your start in the buying and selling and trading of gold and silver bullion, then go to the link in the description to cocsilver dot Com. Listen, as much as we're talking about our food system collapsing, hypothetically, our economic system is going to collapse. That is a mathematical certainty. It may not be in the next five years, it may be in the next fifty I don't know. But you're gonna want some sort of a tangible asset to head your bets against, so to speak. Talk to your financial advisor, talk to your account and ask them what they think about investing in precious metals. I promise you they're gonna tell you a portion of your retirement portfolio needs to be invested in silver and gold bullion. The best place to get your start would be to go to Cocsilver dot com. Once again, the link is in the description. But good cult members, we want to hear what you have to think and what you have to say about this conversation. Are the bees and Jeopardy? Are they not the best place to do so? Would be too? Please hit the five stars, hit the shares, hit the likes, hit the subscribes, and the comments, and leave us a good review. Everything helps the algorithm. The more activity that we see across all of our listening platforms, the more the algorithm will push us to more potential listeners who can then become potential cult members like ours. To you finally, as and gentlemen, why you're ready to go check out metamistics Jonathan's of the show and get them the same level of respect over there with the five stars, views on the positivity in the comments. Come check out the Cajun Night and come join each of us for our individual patrons that we host every Wednesday night at nine pm Central leaks. Those are in the description as well, and we thank you for everybody's already gone and done so. With all of that being said, this was another amazing episode of the Cult of Conspiracy. And my name's Jacob, and there is one thing that we really needed to do just as soon as guilbertly possible that uf Hey cult members Jacob here just want to ask who wants better sex. The best way to get started is to go to Adam and Eve dot com. Right now, Adam Eve is offering fifty percent off just about any item, but that's not all. When you get one item, they will also send three bonus sexy items and six free movies. They offered a screen shipping as your privacy is a priority. Plus free shipping on your entire order. Doesn't matter how much you spend or what you buy. All we packaged and sent discreetly for free. That's fifty percent off one item and ten free gifts to boot bring more pleasure and satisfaction into your bedroom. Just go to Adam and Eve dot com and select any one item. It could be an adventurous new toy or anything you desire. Just enter the offer code cult at checkout and you'll get fifty percent off almost any item, plus ten free gifts, three bonus items, six free movies, and free shipping. Use the offer code cult that Seult at Adam and Eve dot com. Now. This is an exclusive offer specific to this podcast, so be sure to use this code to get you not just the discount and the free goodies, but also the one hundred percent free shipping with the code Cult