Speaker 1: Talk station, a thirty KCD talk station. Happy Friday Eve made always that much happier because at this point we get to talk. I heard media aviation expert Jay Ratliff, who joins a program every Thursday at this time. Jay Ratlift, my friend, welcome back to the morning show. It's always a pleasure having you on.
Speaker 2: Hey, Happy Friday Eve. It's a pleasure to be here. Well.
Speaker 1: And I read your posts from a few days ago on the Morning Show, I believe it was yesterday, and what a beautiful post it was, and you recounted your life having lived at the travel lodge over the Dayton International Airport for what ten years while you were honing your skills as a trader, perfecting your trade strategy, which is what you do for a living now. And you have all these students who learn how to trade stocks based upon your strategy, and you've been wildly successful. But it came as a consequence of hard work. And I used your post as a springboard to point that out. Yeah, you struggled, you suffered, you had your bad days, but you worked your butt off and you transformed your life from living in a at a travel lodge to well a wildly successful, beautiful environment you're living in now. I love the pictures you send from your place down in at the Southern Command. But it was the point was hard work paid off, and that was the point of your post.
Speaker 2: And it could have been hard work may not have paid off. But you know when you when you recognize as idea, you have one life to live. And I've lost so many of my friends at such an early age. It's a further reminder that, look, you're here for one shot. Make the most of it. And when I see people that have dreams that really could contribute to our world and they back off because either they don't want it bad enough or they listen to other people who say it can't be done. I'm thinking a lot of the problems if you listened to them all one to a bazillion, a lot of those problems can be solved if people would follow their dreams. And you know, if it's if it's if it's somebody that creates a Microsoft Bill Gates, if it's somebody that creates a vaccine, if it's somebody that serves as a missionary and app whatever it is, if we could contribute what we're passionate about. My I mean, I watch people drive to work, Brian, and you do all the time, the frowns going, the stiles coming back. They live for that precious couple days off and then live for retirement where you what average retirement you seven years, You're dead. It just yeah. So I choose to take a slightly different outlook on things and appreciate every day that I've been given, and you know, I'm just glad I was given today. And yeah, my students continue to do well, and I'm very proud of them, and I try to encourage them to give back as well, because if you're going to start generating a lot of money, that's okay, but don't lose sight of the fact that you know you can be a blessing to other people and do it whatever it is that you are passionate about. Use what you've been given to try to affect the lives positively of other people.
Speaker 1: And that will bring you, oh Dari use the word joy.
Speaker 2: Yes, real joy. And you don't sit around complaining or have such hatred for a political opponent that it defines your existence. And I've told so many of my friends that are so anti Trump, I'm like, I get it, but don't allow him to control that man controls eighty percent of your life, and it's just your blood pressure goes up. There's no way you should ever allow something like that to happen. But when you when your life is defined by hate or by you know, being that miserable, I just I don't get it because I'm thinking, there's such a beautiful alternative to get away from that and turn to what you do. And I love my sister, but my sister is kind of along the line of you know, she hates Trump. She anytime something comes up, I've got to hear about it, and I'm like, I get it, I get it, I get it. And if you try to point something out on the other side, then it becomes name calling. And you never can have a conversation on facts because that's where it kind of goes out the window. And that's why when I heard Harris's speech here recently about all the economic points without any specifics. A, it sounded if you read the transcript like it was a Republican and B you look at the specifics, which she's not going to give until after she's elected. And it's that just like every other politician, sadly sometimes from both sides of the aisle. They're just throwing out sand sound bites, hoping that this dry by generation of social media buys the headlines and votes for her.
Speaker 1: Amen. That's why I like talking to you, Jay Ratliffe. You're uplifting. You got a great story, a great message. You're hopeful, you're proud of what you got. You're happily contently married to a beautiful woman who is your better half, all things right, and you like to point that out and you try to remind yourself of that every single day. You know, there's beautiful things going on.
Speaker 2: So get the motel room key from the travel lodge. I have it with me everywhere I go, so I refuse to forget where I came from. Brother.
Speaker 1: Good for you. I appreciate your message. I just had to bring that up. We'll dive into aviation issues coming up next. Has some funny stories to go over with. Jay. Eight thirty five. You have KCD talk station matches for an accident and you're the New Richmond exit on west to seventy five no delay. Southbound seventy one slows from Fields Dirtle Off and onto Red Bank. Chuck ingramon fifty five KRC.
Speaker 2: The talk station, stupid mouth, shut.
Speaker 1: Joy a forty five KRCY talks station, and the man the meth. The legend is I heard media aviation expert Jay Rattle if it doesn't mind a curveball every once in a while. Transportation and Security Mission has this three to one rule that's in place, and Jay, I'm sure you know about this, limiting the amount of liquid you can bring onto a plane to three point four ounces. I saw this Swall Street Journal article by Jacob Passey which pointed out that they're bringing out CT scanners and using the CT scanners that allows them to determine whether any given liquid is a danger or not. So if you have shampoo in a bottle and it's more than three point four ounces, the machine would say, not a problem, go ahead. It's not explosive. So that's fine. But the efficiency and effectiveness of government is in full demonstration here. According to the Journal, they calculate they'll need twenty two hundred CTAM machines to reach full operational capacity at all our airports here, but they've only deployed about forty percent of them. They have the funding, I guess, and it won't they won't reach their goal until twenty forty two.
Speaker 2: Sixteen years. Yeah, and by then the technology will be outdated. Want to do all over again. It's a lot like the puffer machines. You remember we had those for a period of time. They were about one hundred and sixty five thousand dollars a pop the usement nuclear power plants and things. You'd step in them and they'd have that little puffet of air that would go by, and it was for explosive trace residue where they were trying to see if any of your clothing skin had come in contact with any explosive residue and it would flag and then you'd be subjected to secondary security. The problem was the failure rate on them was so high. It was like people go through them and fail, rescan fail, and then it was like, well, why do we even have them? So they took all those things out eventually and came in with the full body imaging scanners, which I like because of the fact that they will detect powder or liquid explosives it might be strapped to someone's body. The magnetometers we walk through obviously we're designed simply for metal. So the full body imaging scanners are the next best thing, and certainly we want to speed up the security process. And Brian, the technology down the road has us walking through a hallway with our luggage and we would be screened the entire way on both sides. So then after we get to the end of the hallway, if there's anything that we're carrying that is unquestionable, they simply pull us off to the side and scan things, and everybody else keeps walking. Because we recognize that aviation is what it is, the economic engine that helps drive this country. So everything we can do to make things safe and certainly easier is going to be something that we're looking at. That's why a lot of airlines around the world are going to facial recognition technology. While we'll see it at the TSA checkpoints, we'll see it at the gate area. In fact that it will lead eventually to passengers boarding themselves with no gate agent. That's the dream, because you save money if you're an airline, if you don't have to pay those people, I think you've got to have somebody there. But they will have nearby customer service desks to help people that might service eight or ten gates. So we're moving in that direction and as far as technology will allow us, in as far as the consumer will allow it, We're going to continue to move in that direction fair.
Speaker 1: Enough, and I'm glad technology can advance like this, but it just twenty forty two to unroll technology that we've got already. And I appreciate that that technology also will get uh.
Speaker 2: Giving us a phone that's going to take sixteen years to develop, that yeah, would be outdated after year eight months or something else. So you hit it perfectly when you started government led project, and sadly this is where it goes.
Speaker 1: I'm sure the CT scan manufacturer probably has a close relationship with somebody in government. What do you think on that?
Speaker 2: I would say probably both sides, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And real quick for we're going to take another break and get to the other topics because they're funny. Can can you just explain to me how do they come up with three point four ounces? Is that connected with anything? It makes sense?
Speaker 2: I Well, what you look at is the amount of of explosives that would be needed for it to represent a threat aero dynamically to the structure of the aircraft. So but the problem is if you have minimal traits of like ten people carrying it. Well, you've got a lot more of what you need. So it's I hate to say we're managing the perception of safety, but sadly many times that's exactly what we're doing. And you know, it's like before nine eleven we did screen check bags because people thought we screen checked bags, and the thought was is going to be too time consuming, too expensive, No way people put up with it. You'd have to check in five hours before, I mean all these things. And of course after the attacks of nine to eleven we did shift then, thankfully to screening every bag. But Brian, you know, before nine eleven, fifty terrorists could have checked in with fifty bags not even gotten on the plane prior to the positive passenger bag match program we had, and fifty airplanes would have came crashing out of the sky with no terrace on board, simply because we were not screening check bags at the time. So it forced us through nine to eleven to take that step. Otherwise I don't think they ever would have because after the bombing of pan In one or three over lockerby Scotland, it was a decision all those years before we need to start screening check bags. They still chose not to do it and ask those three idiotic questions every time we checked in as the way to address the threat, which again was a joke.
Speaker 1: Let's bring it right back. We got some funny ones, including a man bleeding from a hair transplant and lost scissors forcing a flight to return to the gate. Though first butt Herb Remoters family owned and opera. This is five generations of family upper ownership and operation, and they sell only the finest world class lawn equipment brands like John Deere, x Mark Steele, and Hondo Power Equipment to name a few I've worked with. But Herber Voters. I have a wonderful contrast. Is why I'm so happy to be able to recommend but Herbert to you, because I did the box store thing. Stupidly went to the box store thinking it was going to be an easy process, and it turns out no. I ended up with garbage that I bought. I didn't really it was. I thought I had researched it. They don't know anything about what they're selling. And then when it conked out the first time I used it, I had to take it back. That was me doing all the loading and unloading and putting it together, never ever going to be the case. At Bud Herbert Motors, they'll deliver it to your door, ready to run, ready to cut the lawn. You know, use the steel power equipment, you know, the hedge clipper or whatever you bought from the steel. John Deere, they're having an inventory reduction sale in John Deere World class brand. That one is. You can save a lot of money by taking advantage of the inventory reduction sale. Where you can learn more about it Budhebertmotors dot com. You know Bud Herbert's old model. The most expensive tool you'll ever buy is a cheap one. And don't you know it. When I talked to Bud Herbert, I ended up with a Honda commercial grade push mower. Talks costs me a little bit more than the lower quality models, but the last mower I will ever buy. So say it the Herbert family and I take confidence in that, and they service what they sell. I've had them over to my house to service it as well, getting the blade sharp and the oil change. You can tell them, Brian said, high when you call it, and you'd be so happy you're working with the Herbert family. Five one three five four one thirty two ninety one five one three five four one thirty two ninety one online Bud Herbert Motors dot Com fifty five KRC Home vs. In City or skin Round it up with Jay rat Leff. I love holding him over for the entire half hour. Yeah, you're stuck with me, brother, No problem, we got a bleeding hair transplant guy. You can't get on a plane after that.
Speaker 2: Huh. No. It was an American Airlines flight I think eighteen fifty eight was a flight number, to be boringly specific, and they were flying from Miami to Las Vegas, and apparently the man had just had a hair transplant surgery and as it happens, it bleeds a little bit at the scalp after the procedure the day of and I think the day after, so he bores the flight and his forehead starts to bleed a little bit. They flight attendants asked the advantage or something he could cover it up with, giving him the opportunity to do so. He said, I don't have anything. I'm fine, I'll be fine, don't need anything, And they said, no, there's a problem because we can't have someone that has blood hazardous material my word, not theirs bleeding from their forehead. So they told him that they since he didn't have anything to cover it up with, that he and his companion they would both have to deplane and catch a later flight. And he refused. He's in Miami, Florida, says, I'm not going to do it if I'm not flying. Nobody is well, okay, Now everybody off the plane is removed. We do that now because you don't want to have another doctor dragging down the aisle video. So they get all the passengers off first. Then the police are summoned and the police remove the two and arrest them and away they go. But it was simply it's a hazardous material. It's the same way if you have a first responder that shows up somebody is bleeding, they take precautions, and it's the same thing with a flight crew. You simply can't have it. Now. Had the gate agent notice this, the gate agent probably would have approached the individual saying, look, I've noticed this. You're not gonna be allowed to board in this condition. Is there anything that you can do, because if not, we're going to have to accommodate you on a later flight. Never lying that individual get on the airplane. But the gate areas are so chaotic, the staff is so overworked. I'm sure they got there at the last second. They're constant trading on the line of people that have already formed. And you know, they should have stopped the boarding process and had the guy stepped to the side, but they did not, and the flight attendants were forced to deal with it.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay. And even more bizarre lost scissors.
Speaker 2: Yep, this happened. It happened in Japan. And you've got You've got the gift shops in the terminal, and one of the gift shops noticed their scissors had gone missing. Now you're in the sterile area of an airport. Everybody's been screened, everybody's about to board airplanes. They contact the airport police. We don't know what to do. Police say, Okay, we stop everything. Nobody boards any plane, no plane leaves. We've got to get everybody out of the sterile area back on the other side of security. Step one, Step two, we've got to do a hard target search to the entire terminal, seeing if the hit scissors were stolen and placed somewhere under a seat, trash can, bathroom, everywhere has to be checked because the thought is somebody could have got them, hit them, and then rescreen, get back on the other side, and then retrieve those scissors that they hid and board a plane and do something bad. So they go through this process of getting everybody out, They do the search, they rescreen everybody, thirty one flights are canceled, two hundred and ten flights are delayed before everybody's allowed to finally leave, and the PS well and all of that was the proper security protocol Bran. It's a lot like if you and I are working at the TSA checkpoint and somebody rushes by and is not screened and goes into a terminal. As long as we can keep an eye on that individual to make sure that they did not interact with any person or did not hide something somewhere. In other words, they were under constant supervision. Once they're apprehended, you can remove them and nothing happens. But the moment they disappear and you can't account for where they were at or who they may have interacted with, you've got to take the step of, Okay, we've got to get everybody out, We've got to search the terminal have to rescreen everybody and everything comes to a screeching halt. Now the kicker here is the store that started all this found the scissors the next day. Oh that's where I put them. It's all for nothing. I know if that person is still employed or not. But yes, I'm sure people are not too happy to hear the PS on that particular story. After going through all.
Speaker 1: Of that, do the math on how much money it costs collectively for every person delayed travel. You know, planes being held up, YadA, YadA, YadA. It's amazing lost scissors all.
Speaker 2: Right day, I'm making it up. I'm going to get emails. We are not google it. It's on the internet, which means it has to be true.
Speaker 1: That's what Abraham Lincoln always said this part company as we always doing hub delays. Jay Rattlive, I.
Speaker 2: Knew that Abraham don's anything about the internet.
Speaker 1: But Joe, if you read it on the internet, it's true quote for.
Speaker 2: Abraham Lincoln exactly. I love that the minimal issues, Brian, we might see issues in Seattle and Tampa. I don't think anything untill later today, and I don't think the delay is going to be more than thirty minutes. So it's not even worth mentioning. So if you picked to day, you picked probably the best day of the week to travel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good news from Jay Ratliff. Always a wonderful thing to part company on. Good news Jay, until next week. Take care of my friend. God bless you, and keep up the positive attitude because it does rub off when you post about it.
Speaker 2: It's exactly what you're doing. So you keep up the good work, brother.
Speaker 1: Thanks man. We'll talk eight fifty six to fifty five Krcity talk station. Talk we did. Kurt Katsu was on at seven thirty. Senior Policy Fellow