Speaker 1: Hey Carl here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get Security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget discord. Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. You know, when I was a kid, my parents sometimes took me to weddings, and I remember so vividly the old biddies used to poke me and say year next. Wow. Yeah. So when I got older, I started doing the same to them. Yeah, with funerals.
Speaker 2: And his record of being right was so good they called it Grim Reaper.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to Security this week. The If you hear any kind of banging, that's because their roofers are putting on some roof for stuff at Playine's house. Yeah, so we're going to try and take it out. I hope you don't have to hear it, But.
Speaker 2: Is that the official term roof of stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, roof for stuff for stuff. They're doing roofing, they're doing roofing, roofing things, whatever that is.
Speaker 1: Are you are you getting a new roof put on?
Speaker 3: I am. Yeah. My roof is twenty five years old, so wow, uh it needed it.
Speaker 2: And he said it right, he said roof rush.
Speaker 1: So you're roof only started drinking four years ago, is what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Right, It's now an adult. It has to go, uh huh, out of the house, out of the house, all right.
Speaker 1: The first story is from Crabs on Security. We love crabs. FBI sees his net nut proxy platform Comma Papa buttnet popa botnet which I swear sounds either like a blues musician or a born name. I don't know one or the other. Why not both could be both net Nut So.
Speaker 2: There's been a lot of takedowns in this year already. I don't know whether AI is assisting in identifying this stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised, I.
Speaker 3: Would assume at this point. Yes, but yeah, I mean, this one's weird too. So the FBI sees as hundreds of domains tied to net Nut, a residential proxy service that's run by an Israeli firm a La r u m Alorum Technologies is traded on the Nasdaq. Right, so imagine this. We have a bunch of houses that are proxying into a place and Israel. It's roughly about two million compromised consumer devices.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, thanks for the picking.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So in this particular case, Google saw three hundred and sixteen distinct threat clusters using net nut exit nodes. That's not easy to say. Net Nut exit nodes.
Speaker 1: Sound like mister rogers there for a minute.
Speaker 3: Net modes pretty delivery. So so let's talk a little bit about proxies, because a proxy is typically used to obscure where you're coming from or used to encrypt your traffic. So we've talked about, you know, leveraging VPNs.
Speaker 1: VPN is essentially a proxy, right.
Speaker 3: A VPN is a proxy. But think of a VPN as an entirely encrypted tunnel that you go through. Whereas a proxy, you're just sending your traffic to some other random place on the Internet and then they send it out. So proxy will not hide you from you know, the local Wi Fi. You know, it won't hide you from everybody else on Starbucks. You know, Wi Fi would whatever a VPN would, but a proxy will let you make it look like you're coming from another country.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So a lot of people may use proxies and may have used proxies in the past to say, get BBC broadcasts and all sorts of things you can't get in you know where you are now. So proxies or proxies are interesting for that reason, But for this number of people to be using proxies a little bit weird. In this particular case, these devices were actually smart TVs and streaming boxes with the proxy SDK baked in.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Spur reported for LG webOS apps and twenty five percent of Samsung tiz in apps we're carrying this proxy SDK. Moral of the story is, if you bought a TV that was running Linux or Android. If you bought a TV running Android that was a off brand, a super cheap no name, chances are it was it was running one of these proxies.
Speaker 2: Are you saying, my sam Sang TV is not a name brand.
Speaker 3: Sang, No, that's Samsung's brother.
Speaker 2: Better than Samsung. It's present tense, Samsung is over.
Speaker 1: Past Wow well, Sang is also past tense.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sam Sing, Okay, yeah you should.
Speaker 3: You should buy the Sam say we'll have Sung in the future version.
Speaker 1: I say, I'm almost sung.
Speaker 2: Do we think that most of these are in Israel? Or is this all over the world?
Speaker 3: So the proxy was reading through Israel the the obviously the proxy was being used for all sorts of nefarious things.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's a good question, I mean. And they talk about this as a takedown. This wasn't a full takedown. This was They called it a crippling, right. They took down one or two of the you know, net nut Maine exits, but there's still like net nut io is still online, right, so there's there's other proxies that are still available. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: It used to be my nickname in grammar school Netnut net nut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here you go, as crabs, that's actually net nuts.
Speaker 2: That you think that's an accurate description.
Speaker 3: Yeah. As Crebs has warned repeatedly, most of the no name TV streaming boxes for sale on major e commerce websites either come pre installed with residential proxy software or require the installation of proxy software to work. So if you're buying some sort of sketchy TV or streaming box off the internet, chances are you're participating in a butt.
Speaker 1: Sketchy dot com right now eighty percent off.
Speaker 3: Free every channel. Only need to use your internet to steal things. Yeah, so be careful what you buy. And you know, Google Android and Google Play the play stores very good at at making sure there's not malicious things in apps. We're not saying it's impossible.
Speaker 1: It didn't used to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if you buy one random box that has side loaded apps, yeah, exactly right, you'll get it. I got a box for you to break it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right. We moved on Chinese hackers. It's almost like Florida man, right, Chinese hackers develop long leash malware to expand o RB network. What's long leash?
Speaker 3: Well, it's one of their leashes. And we'll go through a couple of different leashes shortly. But yeah, there's there's short leash, there's dog leash. There's all sorts of leashes.
Speaker 1: In here that there's not cat leash.
Speaker 3: I don't think yeah, jar leishuh, And we're not kidding. These are all the different types they have really so in essence, uh, the these leashes, the ORB network is used to route traffic through to obscure who's doing the attacking.
Speaker 2: To maintain to maintain access to the network.
Speaker 3: Yep, absolutely, So think of it. Think of it as, uh, you know, I'm going to you know everybody, Let's say, like my firewalls here block China, right, I don't allow China to hit my network here. I don't allow anybody here on my network to go out to China. But let's say an exit note on that ORB network is in Canada. I mean everybody loves Canada, right, especially China, right, So so I you know, I allow Canadian traffic. So it's one of it's one of the reasons they may use one of these types of networks is to obscure not only the location of the attacks, but also to obscure one of the indicator's compromise and ways that you can attribute the attack to a particular attack.
Speaker 2: So it's like using it as a VPN, you know how if you're in yeah, exactly, if you want to watch TV on a Mexican channel, you might have to VPN in Mexico. Same deal if you want to hack a computer in Canada, if they're screening for Russia and China and Iran, then you can get around that one defense in depth.
Speaker 3: Now, in this particular case, the leash long Leash, which was an upgraded from short leash, which was a back door, not kidding. And they have dog leash, which is a Linux back door with a hard coded TCP listener, and then jar leash, which is a Java web admin tool back door, and then leash test which is test yeah for their IoT compatibility checkers. Blah blah blah. So all of these leashes in this particular case they are exploiting CVEE twenty twenty. So for those of you who have been listening to the show for a while, you know CV twenty twenty means it came out in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Well it was it was adult that number was dolled out in.
Speaker 3: Twenty yeah, so that means six years ago this vulnerability was discovered and I assigned an ID same thing with So this is twenty twenty two, two sixty five three, twenty twenty two two six, five eight, and twenty twenty three two five seven, one seven. These are all Ruckus devices. Yeah, I was gonna say, that's a great name for a route RUCKUS causes RUCKUS.
Speaker 2: It causes one with your bank account.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, Uh so all of these are our RUCKUS devices. This has been patched, but there are exploits on these devices that allow for attackers to take control of them and add them to this network. CEV twenty twenty five two four nine two is an asus AI Cloud critical off bypass and that's one that So these are the four cvees that are being used to add more nodes via a long leash.
Speaker 1: Here's a good question for you, and I don't expect you to have the answer right now, but is there a way that I can configure my configure my you know, Wi Fi home Wi Fi to absolutely refuse any connections from or Russia or any other country. Yeah that I'm so easy thing to do.
Speaker 3: So it depends, I'll give you it depends. It depends on your hardware. So like right now at my house, I'm running Ubiquity and it does. It's It's easy. It's literally I go in and I can say I want to restrict, and it shows me a map of the world and I can click the countries and say nope.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: So that makes it easy. I know, firewalla does the same thing, makes it really super easy. But then there are other ones like if you're running a TP link, throw it out. But if you're running something else, well it comes included with the with the leash, yeah exactly, you know, and.
Speaker 1: It also has a cardboard role in the middle of you got to take that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then it's uh no, it's fine, but no, if you're running some other version of firewall, sometimes you can just block the country outright. Sometimes they have a block list. Sometimes you actually need to go in and like configure the ranges yourself that you don't want it to talk to you, which is more of a pain but can be done no matter what you're running.
Speaker 2: Okay, but the the whole the hull idea this leash thing is to circumvent that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, absolutely it.
Speaker 2: Is part of defense and death. You do want to do it, Yeah, don't count on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and defense and death Like that's the first layer, right, don't talk to or communicate to the places where generally you're getting attacked. Right. The second layer obviously is then monitoring the type of traffic you have and you know, having isolation on your networks for example, on my home network. There is no way in hell I allow the kids on any of the networks that have sensitive data. So they're in essence on their own guess network where they can play games and stream and download whatever janky things they download install on their computers. But it's it's not gonna affect any of the rest of the network.
Speaker 1: All right. This next story actually kind of hits close to home because we actually thought about setting up a website to expose websites that had dumb password rules. Right now, if you've been listening to the show for the last year or so, the only rule that makes any sense for password is length.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean complexity adds an element.
Speaker 3: Well, length is more important.
Speaker 1: Length is more important. Size matter, Size matters, And.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna not have complexity, don't advertise that.
Speaker 1: R Yeah, So this dumb passwords rules, dumb password rules dot com has shown a spotlight on GameFly and so with link to this. Basically it has a change email address and password, and you put in your email in your password, which is only six to twelve characters with no other restrictions.
Speaker 3: Well, that's impossible to crack. My password is one, two, three, four, five, six, it could be.
Speaker 1: And probably is common password around. So I mean, Dwyane, how many milliseconds would it take ice.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't get out of the first chapter the dictionary. No, yeah, a dictionary attack, Yeah, it would be page one.
Speaker 3: Instant easily in the milliseconds, probably hundreds of milliseconds, but milliseconds for it to crack a majority of those passwords. Yeah, absolutely, with a decent size cluster.
Speaker 1: Really no story here. We just wanted to, uh, you know, highlight the dumbness. And I think dumb password rules dot com is going to be a staple.
Speaker 3: So let's talk.
Speaker 2: Let's take an opportunity for a second. Just talk about the reality of authentication. Right now. You've got past keys, right, which is a great yep, that's foreshadowing. Past keys are great. Multi factor authentication is good, especially if you use an authenticator w app that that makes it much better than you know, sim sim swap attackable uh text message or email messages on an email count that doesn't have multi factor authentication. And one of the things that I've looked at is compounding them because a lot of times if you have a pass key, it's like a device certificate, right, that's effectively what it is, why don't you still ask for the password? Sure to add an extra layer, and so in some case I'll implement that. But the other thing is the denial of service. If you lock people out after so many password attempts, the bad guy can just use that to harass your users, right, So you want to do something intelligent where it's like you escalate the time of the password attack. Or my favorite thing, which I've never seen anybody do other than us, is when you fail that test you've tried five times in the last two minutes, add another factor. Yeah, like what's what's you know your what's Dwayne's extension at the office?
Speaker 3: Trick question?
Speaker 2: It's another factor or SMS when it starts.
Speaker 1: Messages aren't great, but but.
Speaker 2: It's it's an extra lay. So so that way you don't lock the user out. You just raise the bar and you know what you've also done, You've also made it so that the user calls the help desk and says, why is it asking for this extra piece of information? If the hacker locked you out in the middle of the night and the timer ran out, then unless you're watching the logs, you're not going to have it now the user is part of the part of the system that alerts you. So we have to get We don't want to roll our own I'm not saying that, but we got to get more creative and compounding the authentication and figuring out who they really are. Okay, sorry, I'm off. Let me step down from the soapbox.
Speaker 3: That actually used to be a great way to denial a service an entire company, where they'd be like, oh, three invalid attempts and you be like, all right, I'm just gonna rape through all your users and log in continually in the Outlook web access shut off that protection because yeah, and then everybody's locked out constantly. By the time you unlock them and it synchronizes to all your dcs, I've locked them out again, so good luck.
Speaker 1: All right, before we take a break, let's talk about Microsoft Defender, because there was an elevation of privilege vulnerability in it that was reported and what was the tell me, tell me the sequence of actions. So this was reported, Microsoft came out with a fix fix didn't really work, and then they came out with another fix. Is that it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely yesterday As of July eighth, they've come out with another fix that should mitigate this. I mean, if you're if you're writing, if you're there with a notepad, it's going to be version one dot one dot two six zero six zero three zero zero eight. But what I'll tell you is, if you've been listening to this show for a while, you probably don't need to worry about it because it would have already updated. Yeah, to just know that, Yeah, there was a privilege escalation and had you'll remember us maybe reporting on this a couple of weeks ago, maybe even a month ago, where we had talked about privileged escalation using soft links, using l en k files. Yeah, it was actually dubbed the Rogue Planet. So yeah, and that so that now does have an official patch that's come through. So if you're not auto updating, shame on you go update. But if you are up you know, auto updating, you probably defenders probably already patched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and or you will see a little Windows message, you know, the little orange thing that says, you know, updates need to you need to reboot in order to install updates. Yeah, but we should. You should definitely automatically update. The only reason I wouldn't is if I had a specialized computer that was that needed to be up at you know, a certain range of times. Sure, And I think the days of Windows automatically updating and rebooting your computer are gone.
Speaker 2: Like in the enterprise, it's certainly been gone for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they might have allowed it and just obfuscated the way to disable it or something, but I definitely remember that happening. It happened to me in the middle of the gig.
Speaker 2: I think we need to get to the ability to support like a chaos Monkey mentality. If you remember chaos Monkey, it was where I think it was Netflix had so Yeah, so that you you you allow you you you expect every type of failure there can be all the time, and you're you're completely redundant. And if we do that, then we can allow things to patch immediately because the patch is an expected potential down out down time. If we don't get there, then we're just going to always be late to the party and the hackers are gonna we have to reinvent our patching strategy. And you're right, Carl, Most most enterprises, most even medium companies, don't allow auto patch, and it's going to get them owned.
Speaker 1: Dump dump dumb, and that seems like a good place to take a break. So we'll be right back after these very important messages don't go away, and we're back. It's security this week. I'm Carl, that's Patrick and Twain. Got a up more stories here for you from last week. AI coding agents found triggering endpoint security rules to build a built to catch attackers. Just that you know, it's like a whole story in one sentence, tell us the story.
Speaker 3: It's okay. So Endpoint Detection and Response are EDRs. They're looking for attackers doing crazy things, right, injecting things in processes that shouldn't be there. You know, there's a cert util dot ex, which is an execut one in your computer that can download information like certificate information. But US attackers, we use it to download payloads, right because it's on every Windows computer and living off the land means I'm going to use tools around the computer instead of bringing my own because when I bring my own you might notice it. So now all of your EDRs are going, aha, if anybody uses cert util, that's weird. Right now, fast forward, you have all of these these llms like that are using coding, you know, code coding l lms like a cloud code cursor, open as codex, etctera, that sort of thing that those tools have been trained on, vast amounts of programming information and data off the Internet and you name it. So when they say, oh, we got to go download and run this Python package, right, and they they get denied going to you know, python dot org. So they go, Okay, not a problem, I won't I won't go try and pull it directly. Let me try and download it with a PowerShell script. No that failed. Let me use cert util, No that failed. Let me use bits admin. Yep, Okay, that downloaded it. So we goes to this path of let me do all of the same things attackers do on the internet to yet this package downloaded. And now that I have it, it starts running things, etc. And when it runs into a problem, what does y l on do? Statistically it finds the next solution, which is what an attacker might do. So the way that these you know IDEs for lack of a better term, are integrating into the operating system, they all look like attackers, right. It all looks like somebody trying to break any your station and do things that developers wouldn't normally do. That's the problem right now. So SOFOS went through and did some analytics and was like, you know what, a lot of our alarms went off on legitimate development workstations using legitimate tools like claud code and Cursor. Because claud code and Cursor don't know how to say no. They just invent a solution, which may be, you know, writing a PowerShell script and running it to download something, or using a utility that nobody else would use. There's this interesting site, is a the lulls Bins. We can put it in this uh, we can put a link with this show notes l O L B I N Z if I'm correctly, and I'll get you the link. But it's Living off the Land Binaries. And what it is is it's a site where you can live as an attacker. That's great attacker advice.
Speaker 1: Should we play the theme song?
Speaker 3: Probably? All right?
Speaker 1: Hit it.
Speaker 3: It's so the great thing about this site. And we'll put a couple different links in there. There's the Living off the lands Bins or binaries. There's also a g T f O Bins out there. You can imagine what that one stands for. So what you do as an attacker as you go? What do I have access to. If I have access to let's say I have access to seven zip, right, which is just a compression utility, how would I use that compression utility to gain administrative access to this system? Or let's say I only have access to PowerShell. How would I use PowerShell to download my attacker package, like my reverse sheld or something along those lines. Let's say I'm on a Linux workstation and I can run Nana, which is just a text editor. I can run a text editor as an admin, but I can't do anything but at a text Is there a way to get the text editor to give me a shell as an admin as route right? So these these sites, this living off the lands bins n GTFO bins there. Think of it, for lack of a better term, as like a dictionary, a lookup where you can type in the name of an executable that's on that computer that would normally be there, and it will give you like ten different ways to abusively use the wow to either get access to the system and a system and in a strative way, or download packages and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, So this is great if you're a hacker, but what if you're trying to prevent this stuff. Can you use this for preventative measures?
Speaker 3: I've never done that. I don't know what you're talking about. So it's it's let me, let me choose this preventative measures your business to prevent people from a figure out.
Speaker 2: What you could do is you could look at this, which no one does, and you could figure out what things you can remove from your environment to minimize the attack surface. In other words, you can use this as a window into well, I don't use nano on this box. Why do I keep it around? Why do I let it run? Why do I let it run? In that context?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just thinking about it for a minute, when you should get rid of it. I would have come to that conclusion eventually.
Speaker 2: Eventually, and then you wouldn't have done it.
Speaker 1: By the thought process, would you have done it?
Speaker 2: Is the question. The problem is that securities attack. Everyone looks at security as an overhead that we don't want to pay for because it's not assured to pay off, right, But in the aggregate it pays off. It's just it's it's it's a fundamental psychology. And unfortunately, I don't know that we're going to fix people, but they're they're going to learn the hard way. There's a lot of hot stoves out there, uh that they're going to be touching a lot.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to give you an example.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you going to get us in trouble?
Speaker 3: Pick an execute a ball now, pick an executaball like FTP for example. Okay, Uh, there is a a exclamation point s command you can feed to FTP dot exe and then feed it the name of a file and it will actually run everything in that file. Why is it there? Who the hell knows? But fine string is in here where you can actually manipulate credentials and get fine string to download things over the internet. All sorts of crazy right, rep fantastic yep, absolutely So there's all sorts of neat ways for you to use these applications sert utils in here. Do you want to go through and take a look at what they were doing what we were talking about on this article. So lots of neat ways to manipulate normal executables that will be on every computer to do your bidding.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you're not scared by now, you will be.
Speaker 2: Uh you haven't been paying attention?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, let's move on hackers, exploit Microsoft Entra pass key enrollment to hijack accounts. Entra is the new name for what used to be called Azure D.
Speaker 3: Was it AZERI D.
Speaker 1: It's been so long, Azure D. That's right, active directory?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I like d AZUAD me too. We weren't from active directory to Azure active directory and that seemed logical. And then they're like Entrara and tr id and you're like, you know, maybe they're making up for decades of horrible product names. Were like Bob. Do you remember my Bob was.
Speaker 1: Actually concise in three letters? And that's good. You knew what it is. You didn't like it, but you knew what it was. But you know Microsoft Presentation Foundation Foundation, Yes, yes, Windows Communication Foundations.
Speaker 3: Silver Light, well, if anybody on the podcast can tell me what silver light does.
Speaker 1: Actually, that was named after employee David silver Light. No, it was not absolutely.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's awesome actually according.
Speaker 1: To him anyway, Sorry David. He's a good guy though, he really is.
Speaker 3: But the name does not tell you what it does.
Speaker 1: Now he has to walk around with his head down.
Speaker 2: Basically, silver Light was the Flash. He's the flash equivalent for.
Speaker 3: Microsoft and now I will ask how many people know what flash is because that doesn't exist either equivalent exactly. Thank you Patrick.
Speaker 1: All right, so what happened in this exploit? All right?
Speaker 3: So this this sounds super technical with people you know, enrolling hacker, MFA past key, blah blah. It's a social engineering attack, that's all it is. So in this case, attackers would call up and say, oh my gosh, you have to change your access to our Microsoft systems. You know, here is a pass key, click here, click here, swap your pass key out? Can you do that for us? And they'll say, yeah, sure, it's done. They go okay, thanks. It's literally like calling someone up and saying, hey, your password sucks. I have a better one for you. Can you just use this one instead? And they go yeah, sure, thanks, I really appreciate it. Random dude on the internet. Like the moral of the story here is just don't don't I guess.
Speaker 2: Don't take candy from strangers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and be able to better be able to identify strangers, right, Like if somebody calls up and say they work in the security department of your organization, have a way of checking that.
Speaker 2: So I got to tell a story. I'll tell the story about the rubber company, Dwayne. Oh, So, we have a you know, consulting arm and occasionally, you know, people will find my email instead of the people they should find email. And I usually ignore those messages because it's just such a high standard of spam and junk. And so I got this well written at email from someone who claimed to be the CEO of a small manufacturing company and the name checked out, and I went on LinkedIn and the person checked out. I said, you know, what, what the hell? I'll answer them that you know, we're we might we're interested to hear about their project. And I sent them an email and they sent me an email back and said, oh, you know calendar You know the Calendi link calendarly, Yeah, Calendly. And I looked at it and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Well, for those who don't know, that's it's a way that you can let people who want to talk to you pick a time that's available for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I hate it because it makes me click on something.
Speaker 1: So I look, well, you hate using it or do you hate using it to get people with Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I pretty much don't click on it. If you if you give me something to click on I'm not clicking on it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah. So somebody wants you to use it to set an appointment with them, you won't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So my spidy sense went off and I'm like, you know what, I'm not going to email them back. I'm gonna open it up on a place that I know is safe, that even if it's bad. Right, And I opened it up and looked at it, and it was the wrong domain. It wasn't the domain of the actual company. Because I actually found the domain. It was a dot net instead of a dot com. Oh and it wanted me to log in with my office three sixty five and I'm like, not today, Satan, Nope, So it can happen anyway.
Speaker 3: I came.
Speaker 2: I guess I didn't come too close, but I could have come close if I wasn't as as paranoid as I am. And so I really think people need to be more paranoid.
Speaker 3: Yeah all yeah, and laugh.
Speaker 1: I laugh and have a sense of humor. That's right. They offset each other.
Speaker 2: But you should also think about what you're asking other people to do. If I know you, like if Carl, if you sent me a link, I wouldn't do a Dwayne. But if if you sent me a link, I would probably click on it and I would verify, but I would verify it's you. I would probably call you up and say, did you actually send me this link? And I had a customer, a longtime customer of ours, send me a link and I'm like, I'm not clicking on this link. So I me messaged him outside. I said, did you send me that link? Because it was they had no context, and he like, oh no, my email was hacked.
Speaker 3: It's funny you say that this morning. I have a contacted Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you fished him.
Speaker 3: No, he sent me a link, and I was like, eh, I don't think the thing.
Speaker 1: Even if you know the people, that doesn't mean that the link isn't.
Speaker 3: Oh no, and a town because increases the chance what happens.
Speaker 1: They might have seen a story on Facebook which could totally be an attack, and surely don't know. They just read the headline they forwarded to you without reading it.
Speaker 2: Well, in this case, the customer was actually his email was compromised, and I caught it and told him, and he had already known, but it could have been the first time he found out, and you know, he could have infect caused because he let his email get hacked, right, it could have caused many of his customers to get hacked, and that's not a good way to help business.
Speaker 1: No boy know.
Speaker 3: And for the record, on this story, this is the Pink extortion crew. If you're following names, if on your BINGO sheet, you can't find O dash UNC DASH zero sixty six, which is what the security researcher is attributing this to. That's because the attacker is actually a cl cr I one one four seven. So just in case you were really kind of digging into his we were doing background checks obviously on the stories the attacker mentioned in this article. Their designated number we can't find anywhere, but there are many other places like the registering Unit forty two and hack read that have the number.
Speaker 1: Right, So, you know, I love Pink. I didn't know she was in a hacking too.
Speaker 3: Hacker. He's in everything. Anybody was a hacker, it would be Pink. Honestly.
Speaker 1: You know, you're probably right. She's badass, isn't she.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, all right. Now for the feature story of this week's show, AI powered Attack compromises AWS cloud In seventy two hours.
Speaker 3: We can't report on this as an internal project.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't seventy two, it was forty six. Yeah, sometimes.
Speaker 3: So this is yeah, this is a fun story.
Speaker 2: So said no one on the receiving end.
Speaker 3: I know, right. So we talk about attacks happening at AI speed, right, and at computer speed, And we've talked about this in the past where we're like, listen, a majority of the times, most of the time, it's not an AI hacking you. It might be AI facilitated, it might be AI assisted, it might be that there's a pipeline on the back end that an AI has access to, but there's still operators who are using these pipelines. What we're starting to see here is more of that pipeline get automated. So in this particular case, one of the this is I mean, this is a classic break into an application, steal aws keys and then start you know, wreaking havoc. But the one of the things a couple different actually things in here that pointed to this being an AI attacker is a there were a series of four access keys created in sub millisecond time and used not something I mean, our team's good, but by hand, we're not doing.
Speaker 1: That yeah, nobody's doing that by hand.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So that was one indicator. The other indicator is there was a lot of I'm going to call it detritus, but there was a lot of ancillary files and things put on the attacked systems to make it look like a pen test. So they were trying to manipulate the indicators a compromise, and they were trying to slow down forensics. But the speed at which and the detail with which those indicators were placed would also yet again not human and that interestingly enough to bypass guardrails on an AI to get it to do an attack. You can't say, hey, I want to bring down bag of America because it'll go No. I can't do that, especially the frontier models. So anything that's not running locally local ones, you can strip all those guardrails off. But any anything sitting exactly you run it local, it's fine. Well, the other thing is if you convince a frontier model that you are a pen testing company, the frontier model is more likely to help you attack a place. So in this particular case, the theory is that they were actually had convinced a frontier model, you know, an anthropic or whatever, that this is a penta. This was a paid legitimate pen test. I'm end to go do that.
Speaker 2: And we've experienced that where the more we deal with it.
Speaker 1: I mean, Dwayne, you've done that.
Speaker 3: I can't confirm or deny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but over time, an AI will kind of get to feel like it at least it seems like it feels like it gets to know you and what your intent is, and so things it would say in the first week, No, it would say, well, you shouldn't do that, but let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: I can't say this never mind, yeah, never mind.
Speaker 2: Wow, he developed a filter.
Speaker 3: No, there are certain things I won't say, but let me let me put it this way.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that very often.
Speaker 1: Now he's just gonna say it a different way.
Speaker 4: But so, Panton, let's say, are you sure you want to say what we have time for? Let's say your let's say your AI did kind of develop a conscience. What's really great is for when it goes, well, absolutely don't run this command. That would compromise everything, and.
Speaker 3: I go to it and go. But if I ran in and I saw this output, what would that mean and it goes, oh, man, that would mean you have access to the whole system. Geez, you shouldn't look in that secret directory. That's probably where all the good stuff.
Speaker 5: So just asking it what shouldn't I do is a good I'm just saying if eventually your frontier models, hopefully anthropics not listening, eventually your frontier models will kind of be like wait a second, and you can be like, well, yeah, no, I absolutely didn't run that, and it absolutely didn't give me this output, But what do you think?
Speaker 2: But if it did, then it would have been did.
Speaker 3: Just what would you do next? And it's like, well, I wouldn't run this, and I'm like I won't run it either then.
Speaker 1: So so there you go. The broader implication of this, according to the article, is because you know A has been documented significantly compress the timeliness of cloud based attacks, that AI removes traditional friction from attacks like there's it's only going to get worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and from the defense side, because we always like the call to action like what can okay, what can the customer do? This is great? We have an AI attacking people. Vulnerability assessments are always good, right, Detecting the fact that those keys could have been pulled would have stopped this attack. You know that would have been part of the killed chain. You know, tight I am, and least privileges in how you're managing your key and what those keys have access to, continuous rotation and monitoring of the use of those keys, watch for impossible concurrency, you know, multiple keys created, multiple ips. You know, under one IP in a sub millisecond is a dead giveaway. Yeah, and these so these would be the ones I would be looking for, especially if I'm I'm looking to thwart something that's at AI spin.
Speaker 1: And once again I have to ask that there's a crying I'm crying out there's a need for tools that use AI to thwart attacks in real time. And you know, Patrick, every time I bring this up to you, that's what glass Wing's all about. Yeah, last time I brought this up to you said, yeah, well, we're not there yet, and we probably won't be, and the hackers are always going to be ahead of us. But I just can't believe that there's got to be something.
Speaker 3: So there there are a lot of grants out there right now for a team to discover the right way to start monitoring networks and protocols and that sort of stuff. The problem is to do this right. You would need an AI that could take in every feed of everything that happens on your network and then understand what's normal.
Speaker 1: And also give it permission to take action because the discovered they have to be shut down.
Speaker 3: Right, and protocol analysis is tough, especially if it's something you don't have the code to. It's actually one of the most expensive things we can do is analyzing a protocol we don't have. We don't have access to the code, and we do it sometimes when we're like, hey, there's this weird signal coming off this box. We have a pipeline that we will run things through and it usually takes days for it to go Okay, I've mapped out this entire protocol. This is what this looks like. So I think you'd have to find better ways to tap the networks and see all traffic without hindering traffic out. I think you'd need to find an we'd.
Speaker 2: Need to have like a GB ten with a dedicated model.
Speaker 3: You'd need more than that.
Speaker 2: Well, if you had like like on the on.
Speaker 3: The next Yeah, you would need I mean I could see running a GB ten on every switch.
Speaker 1: What's a GB ten?
Speaker 3: So Grace Blackwell chip something that's designed to run ll ms locally very fast.
Speaker 2: Dell sells them for like four to five grand a little box.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so could could you start seeing l l ms baked in the switches and firewalls and then coordinating Maybe that might be the way to do it actually is to distribute it and then have them all learn from each other.
Speaker 1: Could they be gamed however? I mean that.
Speaker 3: It'll be. It'll be.
Speaker 2: It'll be a an arms race for sure. If you look at Tallus, they they baked an eight billion parameter l l M LAMA models as a demonstration and that's their Chat Jimmy demonstration. So we could see something like that being in that same kind of box. So you get like a much faster processing as well. But again, it's going to be a dedicated it's going to be an extra expense. It's going to be a dedicated solution. That's where we have to go, right. Pent tests are an extra expense and extra solution, but that's where.
Speaker 1: We have to be. Yep, Well, that sounds like the end of our show. Thank you very much, guys, and thanks for listening. It's all we had to report on last week, and we'll see you next week on Security this week, Bye bye, thanks guys,