Speaker 1: Typically a Friday staple on the program, but Chris Camaradnie Liven Studio stops by on this Wednesday afternoon for the three o'clock hour. So you did watch Can Hardly Wait lately recently, didn't you? Because that's this track is on that soundtrack, I believe.
Speaker 2: I think Graduate is on a different third hit, but I mean they're all bangers.
Speaker 1: Spence, so we were talking about this during the break. Porter yesterday asked the question on air that honestly blew my mind a little bit, so shout out to him because I randomly the algorithm on Spotify was like, you're in the mood to listen to Interstay love song by Stone Temple Pilots today, Boom, here you go. And I probably haven't heard that song in five or six years. So I was like, oh, I like this song. This is a good song. Stp fine, not great. So I did the Spotify I know you you and Will Hardy Apple Music. I did the Spotify thing where you can pull up the song and then just go to the radio station that will play other songs like that one, and the algorithm tells you what you like. And it was littered with nineties one hit Wonders, there was a ton of Pearl Jam, there was Nirvana, stp and and a little bit of Third Eye Blind as well. And so when Porter brought that up, like how has this music aged, I honestly don't know the answer, because I don't know how many youngs are like Rocking Ram these days.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. I would say that the nineties were probably are probably overlooked in terms of what are conceived to be oldies now. I would imagine the youngs have their fair share of eighties music for the Michael Jackson's the all that stuff. Probably the seventies as well. I don't know. That's a great question. I know that some youngs, like my youngest sister in law love's nineties hip hop. How how old?
Speaker 1: How twenty three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that resonates. But like if we're talking about, you know, going to a coffee shop in the Avenues, I don't know if one of the baristas there is like, you know, crushing b sides of a Third Eye Blind or you know depeche.
Speaker 1: Mode Cafe on First a excellent spot, great spot, great breakfast, Breedo, they can work on the wrapping of the brito. I'm just gonna say that if you get like the extra cream cheese and stuff, and.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 1: But no, it was actually making me think. And I'm a little bit older than you, but you appreciate the nineties first of all, Nineties hip hop is by far the best decade. It's not even close. And if there is another close decade, it's actually probably the eighties not moving forward. So I'm glad to hear your sister in law appreciates it. But you're a fan of the You're a fan of the nineties, even though that you know you're a older millennial. The best decade, decade? What do you say? Off? Everything was great, Everything was good, love it.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, I listened to the Rewatchables podcast Bill Simmons, Kyle brand did Wayne's World, Oh Nice, and that is you know, a top five movie for me all time. And Kyle Brandt of the NFL Network is you know a famous on on camera face And he told a story how he got to interview the stars of Bohemian Rhapsody, the movie starring Romy Malick like for some reason, they went on NFL Network when the movie was coming out, and he asked them what their relationship was to like that song, and they were like, oh, we all learned of it from Wayne's World, just like I did. And I know that's a song from the eighties and Wayne's World is a movie from the nineties. But yeah, man, I mean, I'm on a tangent here, but watch Wayne's World. To me, it's the most quotable movie of all time.
Speaker 1: It's got to be up there. I want the ck tangents all hour Man. And by the way, the most gen x thing I'll say on the show today, Kyle Brandt for me is Kyle Brant from the Real World, Real Real World, Chicago, not from the NFL network. Okay, Kyle Brant was on the Real World like twenty.
Speaker 2: Years ago, and he was a soap opera guy. He was. Yeah, that's right, yep.
Speaker 1: But no, I mean, did you watch the Real World back in the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched Real World Seattle, San francisc Seattle was good. I was always a Real World guy. Over road Rules, I was.
Speaker 1: Road Rules came later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they did like a Real World versus road Rules type thing. I mean for MTV used to be really cool. Oh yeah, like I'm telling you it was. I would get home from school, and I would go watch Total Requests Live TRL Carson Daily three thirty pm. Absolutely, and you know, you wanted to see what was going to be the top video of the day, and so often it was you know, your poppy in syncs, Christina Aguileras. But every once in a while you had, you know, a curveball and then you had a blink Win eighty two or a green day or something, and it was it used to it was a vibe, as the kids say, back in the.
Speaker 1: Day, MTV for a number of years ruled and it's our generation, the generation now. First of all, I don't watch, you know, anything outside of YouTube or their phones, but you know TRL and I got to say, Real World Road Rules Challenge. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah that great. Yeah, VH one Behind the Music nice, like bring that back for real though, Yes, like that was almost like sixty minutes like for musical talent yep, very fascinating stuff. Yeah, I would love them to a different channel. But like stuff like that we need more of now.
Speaker 1: I totally agree there's not a lot of that out there, and maybe there's some on YouTube that haven't discovered yet because I need to maybe uh.
Speaker 2: Might as well just go back and rewatch stuff because we're so inundated with information that I'm sure we've forgotten a billion things that we once knew, no doubt.
Speaker 1: But nineties, okay, we're on the same page. Things of age, well, movies, music and such. YouTube television is where we're able to watch the lads today. Let's do a little bit on the lads.
Speaker 2: C K no on YouTube, not YouTube TV. It is streaming on YouTube, but it's not on YouTube TV.
Speaker 1: So RSL conk CAF Champions Cup in about one hour twenty minutes streaming on YouTube.
Speaker 2: And you can watch it on two b which is a free app. Okay, but there's other there's other conker CAF games on tonight. So Messi's playing, so they get the main draw. I see. I think Seattle's in Honduras or Guatemala, and there's there's a bunch of matches tonight. I know last night you were grinding tape on on rapids LAFC. But tonight, when the star is front and center, everybody else's secondary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look there's no debate. I mean, obviously I've talked about this before. When when you have a signing like Lino Messi, I mean, I draw the parallel to Beckham, even though worldwide there's really no comparison. I mean, hell, Trey came on the show and compared them to Jesus. Okay. So that's where the.
Speaker 2: Message to some people that literally is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what I'm saying, Like, I don't think and I'll only speak for myself. I've been overseas and attended games in the EPL, and when you do that, you open yourself up to an entire new world. On a number of different reasons. First of all, you say, oh, soccer can look like that all. Do you respect MLS thirty years old, a dumb.
Speaker 2: Weird league and the and only getting dumber. Yes in some areas.
Speaker 1: Quality of play improving, certainly, but a league that is just dumb in so many in its own way it is it is, and the quality improving. But when you actually see what it looks like in the Premiership, and you know, I've never been to like Bundesliga, La Liga or whatever, but I've seen it on television, you realize that soccer can look like that and that's why it is the world's game. But you also realize that I don't think many of us in this country have an accurate idea of just how big this game is and how massively popular these players are when you actually leave our borders. I'm not sure that we really have proper content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the easiest comp would be our American football because that runs the show in this country and probably will forever. But yeah, I mean it's it's still insane to me. I think Miami's playing another MLS team in conker Caf tonight, but like it's still hilarious that Messi brought his buddies to Miami and brought another great Argentine who he played with at Barcelona to their head coach too. So it's like it's Messi's show and MLS and you're right, like the star power that he wields is I mean, Lebron, Kobe Michael, those are those are the guys. I mean, did we like, who is the most famous American football player? Is it Brady?
Speaker 1: I'm sure, yeah, it's probably still Tom Brady. Yeah, but like currently active. No, I'm saying, like in our in our lifetime, yeah, it's probably Brady. I mean I think.
Speaker 2: If Tom Brady goes to Peru or if he goes to gabone or if he goes to Sri Lanka, nobody's freaking out if they seem more.
Speaker 1: Right on the streets. Right in the NFL, you know, there are rumors that they're going to try to expand internationally Mexico City and Europe and such. I don't like why it's never been embraced overseas. I think it's a very uniquely American Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well everything else.
Speaker 1: But they don't need it. They don't, you know, like the NFL doesn't. The NBA very much needs international revenue streams to kind of offset the domestic apathy. That's a great word right to the product during the regular season where players just don't really seem to care at all. Did you watch one second of All Star Weekend?
Speaker 2: I did not have you ever? Oh yeah, so you to fan. Back back in the day when I was single and sad and didn't have much of a life, I would you know, fire up a you know, Kraft mac and Cheese and watch the.
Speaker 1: Dunk contest Antinoe Pizza.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or or you know, during my super sad days, I would go to Cafe Rio and get a giant two thousand calorie salad and you know, watch a dunk contest, but it hasn't been. I mean, it's ironic that they had it in San Francisco, which is the last time I thought the dunk contest was worth a damn twenty five years ago, when I was like fifteen years.
Speaker 1: And that dunk contest was something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and now it's all gimmicks and you know it's fine, you don't. We don't need to go over NBA All Star hot takes by c K today.
Speaker 1: Now, I am honestly wondering, as somebody who makes his living in the world sports, if it even resonated with you, I guy, I should.
Speaker 2: Turn this on. I mean, is it shallow to say that if there were star talent in the dunk contest that I would probably tune in?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, Matt, that that to me is more intriguing than the game.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's one of the things that's changed. And I hate to put all of this on Lebron. It sounds like I am and Mac McClung is a tremendously talented dunker, but he's a G League player that most people have never heard of, and he looks like your little brother's friend that came over to try to steal your uncrustables. He just looks like a dude. But Lebron I think was kind because Kobe won the dunk contest. He may have won a toy.
Speaker 2: He was really young though, right that was it was before he got famous.
Speaker 1: Well, sure, but he did win it twice, and I do think the second time he wanted he was kind of evolving into one of the better players and league. I think the first time he was in it, he was a rookie to your point, the same rookie that airballed like five three share in Salt Lake. But I mean, you know, when Lebron kind of burst on the scene. I can remember when you know, people who covered the league we're talking about. It was almost like this right of passage. Mike did it, Kobe did it, and now it's Lebron's turn because he's dunking on people, so he has to be able to dunk in a dunk contest. Really well, he never had any interest.
Speaker 2: He never he wanted Brons too. Smart man, he was never going to open himself up to potentially lose on that stage, and they probably wouldn't have let him lose.
Speaker 1: Is that smart? Though, or is it weak.
Speaker 2: I mean, it depends. Pete Man, it's a dunk contest. I I agree with you. I'm just telling you through the lens of how the current modern player thinks. And everybody blames Lebron. At the end of the day, everything's about money. You're going, how are you going to be the most marketable to brands? Don't put yourself in any sort of precarious position publicly, privately, even on something, as you know, inconsequential as a dunk contest. That's that's the way. That's the way most professional players are, especially in the.
Speaker 1: NBA, and it's the way they are now. And I just need to stop being like, hey, it used to be different. And the reason why I continue to bring this up topically it's different than the Pro Bowl because I've had a few guests like, hey, well what about the Pro Bowl. Nobody watches the Pro Bowl. Here's the difference. The Pro Bowl has never been good. It was never good, it was never competitive. The All Star Game, for like thirty years, was the best pickup basketball game in the world because the best players showed up and they played hard and they tried to win. And so when you juxtaposed the two products. Now it's maybe it's just a selfish thing that I missed this game that I used to love, and now because I turned it on, I watched it and it was it wasn't just the format and the games that were frustrating. It was the television presentation. We got thirty minutes of Kevin Hart making fun of Shaq's turtleneck. What am I watching?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And if you're a player, Chris, and you play a game, and you play hard for about fifteen minutes to try to win, and then they come over the side and say they say, hey, okay, you're gonna have to sit here now for twenty or thirty minutes. Kevin Hart stand up. They interviewed Jokic and then like, hey, what'd you do during the break? He's like, I got tight.
Speaker 2: That's how you get hurt exactly. Yeah. No, I don't know how people didn't think that through. Yeah, that is the quintessential, Like, if you're going to play, play otherwise, do not do that because the chances of you getting a muscle pull or a tweak or something are so much higher if you play for fifteen or twenty minutes then have to sit for an hour and a half and then play again.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And any pickup soccer player knows this. You don't have to be a high level athlete. Kevin Hart funny, yes or no.
Speaker 2: Kevin Hart was funny on forty year old virgin See, But like as a stand up I don't think, yeah, no, I'm.
Speaker 1: The stand up stuff is like there are two.
Speaker 2: He's he's really good at making money in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: He works his tail. I respect his grind and I respect anybody who works as that's what people.
Speaker 2: Want to listen to. The drive about is are Kevin Heart takes.
Speaker 1: Well in the grind and they respect my grind? Last night, you know, I'm kind of the Kevin the local sports soccer radio scene. It's not a big deal, but I respect the grind. The stand up is horrible, and to force feed that to people I think was really blind and misguided. Like there were a couple of funny moments here there, but not near enough. And I'm not tuned in to watch a stand up comedy show. There are two stand up comics that make me feel old and not be able to relate to young people. Kevin Hart and Pete Davidson. Pete Davidson has never said anything funny in the entire.
Speaker 2: He's good in movies. He's good in movies. Fing of Staten Islands, No, hey, come on, let's go there.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm not watching King of Staten Island because Pete Davidson is so he's people not when it comes to Pete Davidson, because this is a disconnect. I've never heard him say anything that's funny. I've never seen him do an impression that's clever. I have no idea why he was on SNL. I think he's a total hack. When it comes to Kevin hart and Pete Davidson.
Speaker 2: On my man, there's got to be one. There's got to be one Pete Davidson type. What do you think got more viewership the SNL fifty or the All Star.
Speaker 1: Game SNL fifty?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did you watch by the way.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's good, right, absolutely, see, it was awesome. I got I got choked up during Sandler's song Man, that was great. Sandler nobody carries I think the weight of the people that brought him along the way Sandler does to this day, Like the way he talks about guys like Farley and Hartman and just those guys like you can tell that it still weighs on him thirty thirty five years later. And it's cool because I mean, here we are talking about SNL and sports talk radio, which is totally fine. Peyton Manning, Peyton Manning was.
Speaker 1: There Drive two to six man Yeah, you know the.
Speaker 2: Gotta feel some air. Yeah. I I the SNL fifty was amazing. And if you gave me the two options between watching a team of who who was on the George no, no offense to your guy Kyante. If you gave me the chance to watch Kiante George play Victor wembin Yama or watch SNL fifty, I'll take SNL fifty ten times out of ten.
Speaker 1: Hard to argue with that, and I think the numbers would back you up. Best SNL cast member of all time. You have a hot take on that. You can throw a few names out there.
Speaker 2: I mean, my generation was I got I had Farrell was my generation, so I'll go Ferrell. But like, I'm old enough that my friend's siblings bought the old best of VHS tapes of like Farley and Dana Carvey and Mike Meyers, so we would watch those on VHS because we missed that era, like and I mean some of some of those sketches, man just kill me still. I mean it's they're so amazing. But I'll go Ferrell because that was my wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: See to me, it's Farley. Yeah, you know that's because that's my era. The Dana Carvey, Adam Sandler, Al Frankin, tim Meadows, tim Meadows, wild underrated, Phil Hartman, wildly underrated.
Speaker 2: Rest in People.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and you brought this up off air, which I think is spot on. And actually there's a sports parallel because whichever generation you came up in, that's who you think the best SNL cast is. Like, you know, I'll have even parents or family members talk about Eddie Murphy and talk about and yeah that, and it's hard to argue with that. I don't think a lot of it has aged super well and it doesn't land the way with me that it did with them. But there are back to not relating to the youngs. There are plenty of youngs that don't think Adam Sandler is funny because, in their defense, he has made a lot of really bad movies over the past. But here's what I love about him. I think he doesn't really give a rip like he employs his family, he employs his friends. He's made hundreds of millions of dollars with his company. Is at Happy.
Speaker 2: Madison pickup basketball players great? Well, I mean, I mean gets involved in great pickup games.
Speaker 1: I think, living a life like Adam Sandler, it seems very appealing to me.
Speaker 2: As if there are legit Sandler haters in the world. I mean, listen, man, We're in a world of pain and on a multitude of reasons. But everybody just needs to calm.
Speaker 1: Down, yes, and just enjoy the thing that's in front of you for what it is, unless it's the All Star Game, because it's horrible.
Speaker 2: That's called the transition, kids.
Speaker 1: It is and we'll catch a break. But coming up next, we'll move on from this stuff because there are college football topics to talk about today, with Christopher Camaradie, the Big ten in the SEC currently meeting in New Orleans plotting a hostile takeover. Is that traumatic, Well, we'll tell you about it coming up next. Brought to you by our good friends at Prize Picks. It is the best place to get a real money sports action. With over ten million members and billions of dollars in awarded winnings. Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. All you do is pick more or less on at least two players. For shots went up to one thousand times your cash. You can run your game all season a long on prize picks. You can run up to one thousand times your money on prize Picks with the second half of the basketball season starting tonight. Best wait, best way to get action on sports in more than thirty states, including California, Texas, Georgia, Florida, and Utah. Download that prize picks out today. Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred. You get fifty dollars instantly when you play just five dollars. Don't even need to win to receive that fifty dollars bonus. It's guaranteed. Morke coming up next on a Wednesday, right here on ESPN seven hundred, about an hour away from first kick. I know you guys are pumped. I know when it comes to sports Soccer radio in February, you want to talk Conker Cap Champions Cup rsl Aradianto first round aggregate comes into play here. Have you ever been to a soccer game? Down in Central America.
Speaker 2: I have no mcl got to go cover that run the goat and he said it was insane. That was our guy, mcl He's good man, had some kids and just live in the dream. We miss him, Michael C. Lewis for the uninitiated, good people, I can remember.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have Bill on today. Actually, I think the first game that Bill called in Central America, he was with Donny. Yeah, and Donny was like, dude, just walk up the stairs, don't look left or right. Yep, let's get to the broadcast booth and let's stay safe and during the broadcast, and we'll get Bill to tell these stories. If I remember correctly, the fans were throwing like batteries at them.
Speaker 2: Cool as they were trying. Yeah, I mean it just means more.
Speaker 1: Cool. He says, could do some damage at some point.
Speaker 2: I mean that Bill's already miss Midwest man.
Speaker 1: No, that's fair. Bill can take a couple of batteries to the dome. Uh. In any college hoops these days, you watch any college basketball.
Speaker 2: You'll be proud of me. I watch some of both of the Kansas losses to our local teams this week.
Speaker 1: Wildly, and Kansas did not lead for one second while they were here in state.
Speaker 2: So my take is Kansas sucks because I watched I had to cover them when they were here in the tournament last year, and that their big guy is probably gonna make a lot of money playing like at Real Madrid or something, but like, our guy is not giving more than like fifty percent effort out there. Yeah, and he was like that last year, and I feel like they have worse players this year. But like they lost to Utah, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but Utah is playing a style of basketball that's like me and like church ball in like eighth grade, where you just dribble it around and you know, lift up your plant leg too soon and then look to throw it to somebody. Because they were they were doing some wild stuff and the fact that they got away with the win good for them.
Speaker 1: Your take on Kansas, I feel like is correct, okay, because and I don't want to come across as if I'm diminishing a really good win for Utah. Quad one win and then BYU dog walked him. I mean, at one point he was a thirty eight point game. It is tied for the biggest defeat Bill self has ever suffered to Kansas. But like the defense for Kansas in both games, quite frankly against Utahn, BYU was atrocious. Now to Bill Self's credit, he talked about it after the game. But like Trevin Nell, who plays for Brigham.
Speaker 2: Y guy, I know you have a bone to pick with I don't have.
Speaker 1: A bone to pick with him. Why would I have a bone to pick with Trevinell? It's just Chris.
Speaker 2: If I think he's a battleful guy, maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: No, I think he went to Woodscrosska thing. Look, he can shoot the you know what out of the basketball. He is an elite shooter. Yeah, but if he couldn't shoot it, he'd be in his fourth year blogging about BYU basketball for KASL.
Speaker 2: Because as lots of people around here that do that exactly.
Speaker 1: Because he's like twenty seven, but that's what he can do, and they like ignored him Kansas.
Speaker 2: There was no no closeouts.
Speaker 1: Zero closeouts good good term, take away the airspace, get up in him, make him uncomfortable on the scout. I didn't report for Kansas. When it comes to number twenty one on BYU, the one thing you can't let him do is shoot it from the outside, and that's the only thing they let him do.
Speaker 2: I mean, it seems like they let everybody shoot from the outset.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing. Like, I don't know what the game plan was, or if the players were just like screw it and ignore the game plan like.
Speaker 2: They were, Like we went to Kubby's last night. We went too hard. We had a Sprinkle milkshake, feeling a little bloated, don't know where I'm.
Speaker 1: Going, little swig after party, and ultimately didn't have.
Speaker 2: The energy like, Okay, here's one for you.
Speaker 1: I was stunned at how poorly Kansas was defensively.
Speaker 2: Richie Saunders really good future pro?
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably Europe. Okay, but I think he's BYU's best player. I don't think he's their best pro.
Speaker 2: Probst can he be Sam Merril?
Speaker 1: I don't think he can shoot it like Sam can shoot it.
Speaker 2: Because nobody really saw Sam's my guy. Yeah, covered Sam in high school. Boe Braves, Yep. A lot of people were like Sam will make millions of dollars in Europe and now he is a rotational player on the best team in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so, it's a good it's a good COLMP because the interesting thing is Richie is a better athlete than Sam is, and Richie up until like last year, was only like an energy guy that didn't shoot it very well. So he's clearly put in the work because he is a knockdown shooter. Maybe a fringe NBA guy, but he is six or five and he is a good athlete, but he doesn't shoot it the way Sam shoots it. My old thing with Sam was like if he can find a way to get a little stronger and and and improve his release time, like you have a co then he has a shot because he's knocked down. My concern with him was what was going to happen with Sam Merril is ultimately what happened with Jimmer Ferdad, which is Jimmer three inches taller. But Jimmer is and always has been a ball in hand, shoot it off the dribble guy. He was never a great catch and shoot guy. But when he played at By you Dave said, you've got the ball, You've got the greenness of green lights, so dear thing. So whenever Jimmer would go to the G League and played against lesser players where he had the ball in his hand, he was good. Then he went to the pros, he could never get his shot off, and so my concern with Sam was like, will he be able to get that shot off? If he can, he's got a shot and he deserves a lot of credit because he's worked his tail off and instead of just being a spot up shooter, you know, he can shoot a little bit off the bounce. Richie might be what he's best player right now though?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good Richie Saunders tangent, and we just went on.
Speaker 1: I like Richie, he's a good player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, local kid.
Speaker 1: Where where do you go to high school?
Speaker 2: Shoot? I want to say PG somewhere in there. It feels like somewhere American Fork. Maybe it feels like somewhere down there. Well, Mark wanted him to go to Kentucky. Oh really yeah, and Richie decided to stay here. Did anybody follow Mark to Kentucky? Oh? Yes, number two Jackson Robins.
Speaker 1: Jackson Robinson, look at you, good pull. But now the reports were that Mark wanted Dallen Hall and Richie Saunders to follow him to Kentucky and they both decided to stay down at BYU. And I do not have a bone to pick with Trevinell. I'm just saying it's amazing to watch a player who only does one thing be allowed to do that thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 1: It's like just leave shack open at the rim. Yeah, get a dunkit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: College football, you ready for it?
Speaker 2: I'm ready. What are we mad about?
Speaker 1: Well, we're not mad about anything. But for the second time in just a few months, the SEC and the Big ten are having meetings this week in New Orleans about the proposed changes they want to scheduling partnerships the CFP format. According to your guys Stuart Mendel, I love it when Stewart is grumpy because he'll he'll just come off on people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what he wrote is the expectation is that these two conferences want the CFP to expand a sixty to fourteen or sixteen, and then they get four auto bids each, Big twelve acc get two each, and I think that leaves one for the G five schools and maybe three at large bids something like that.
Speaker 2: Either one or three, depending on if it's fourteen or sixteen.
Speaker 1: There it is. So what do you make of this? Do you think this is something that's going to come to Fruich and potentially in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: What's what's the golden rule, Spence? I know with the gold Yeah, it's this is always going to be an evolving reality. They're never going to settle on anything because nobody's ever going to be happy. And the more games they play, the more money they make. It is as simple as that. You don't need to go on Reddit and look for any sort of conspiracy theory or mystery box to open. It's not that the Big ten and the SEC can throw their weight around because they make the most money and they have the strongest, you know, media partnership deals with these huge conglomerates, and more games means more money. That's it, bottom line, That's all it is. Yeah, I mean, are they wrong?
Speaker 1: Are they wrong that more games may mean more money?
Speaker 2: Are they wrong in basically hijacking this next iteration and what it could look like because if we're if we're going beyond, I mean, if if the Big ten had top four team last year, like you're talking about, like Iowa in the playoff, nobody wanted to watch Iowa play. I think top four would have been like a in the SEC, it was like a four way tie between like Mississippi and Arkansas and you know, all these teams, So there's always going to be somebody that's mad. But we are a country of addicts. We are obsessed with our entertainment, and we will be mad about it, and we will watch it and then we will complain about it because that's what we do. And it's never been easier to watch things and complain about things.
Speaker 1: How much time you spent on Reddit, I don't spend.
Speaker 2: I never got into it, and my buddies were really big into it, and I was always kind of skeptical and I don't really understand the format all that well, Like you have to click the minus and the plus, and I don't know, I'm not very smart when it comes to it's got to be pretty streamlined for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you strike me as a Reddit guy. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm full of surprises.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm not. That's not like a compliment or I'm not knocking on you just strike me as somebody And like, I don't use it much. The only time I use it is if I'm doing a Google search and a Reddit threat is like, oh that looks kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: I'm the same way I don't.
Speaker 1: Like following any wormholes. I don't like going down any wormholes. I feel like that's a dangerous, a dangerous path to follow. Then the next thing, you know, I'm going to be talking about vaccines and transgender athletes on air. I don't want to go down any of those rabbit holes. That's just me.
Speaker 2: I don't want you to go down those rabbit holes either.
Speaker 1: Have you ever followed a rabbit hole to the place where you don't feel like you're in a anymore? No, I'm not What about the dark web? To spend time in the dark.
Speaker 2: Web ever, not for one second.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how to access it.
Speaker 2: I don't either. I'm more about like watching can't hardly wait for the for the million at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or a college football expanded CFP where it's diluted the regular season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, put on Paul finebombs. See what he's saying. You know that those are my people and that's my that's my gig.
Speaker 1: So yeah, what I do I mean, if I could stretch little bit, Yeah, you can stretch. From a sports socc radio standpoint, I do feel like four auto bids for each of these leagues does dilude the regular season, which to me is what makes college football specially correct.
Speaker 2: The regular season will not mean anything. Conference championship weekend will be gone, and frankly, I don't think that matters all that much, like it was already on its last legs. Anyways, do get rid of it. In this iteration, you'll prioritize the conference records and that's it. The Wetzel Forty Doallinger podcast did a really good job this week diving into it, and Forty had an epic rant. I recommend people who know Pat Forty, who is you know, one of the luminaries in our business right of the show. Yeah, he did not mince words when talking about this potential iteration coming to fruition. They'll have to rethink things. The regular season will I don't think it'll mean like non conference games will not mean a thing like other than bragging rights, because in this format you will primarily go on the basis of conference records and listen, man, Would people tune in to watch Utah play Ole Miss in a first round game in a theoretical playoff, Yes they were, Yeah. Would people tune in to watch Iowa play Miami? Yeah, we're talking about We're talking about schools that have significant followings that are going to be involved more. And that's that's just the bottom line. Like we're talking about fan bases that are part of cultures that are ingratiated in the sport at a level that you know, some other programs in other parts of the country frankly aren't. And I say that being a West Coast kid, being having a a understanding of what the West Coast bias is against us, but can't complain.
Speaker 1: Well, you can't deal with you can't.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can come, but at the end of the day, you're still going to watch it, So get off your high horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just you know, I try, I guess in a way trying to hold on to what makes college football or college football is. And maybe I need to go the way of my All Star take where it's like Alan Iverson is not walking through that door to try to hang thirty on you in the fourth quarter. Instead you get to see Donovan Mitchell not care about being you know where he is. Even though I think being named an NBA All Star should mean something. I think that's something you should wear with pride and show up and do your job and do it to the best of your abilities. But if we're I guess where I'm at with it is if we're simply moving, step by step, slowly towards this eventuality that we all believe we're moving towards. Rip the band aid man, like, let's just get on with it. I agree, But what do you think stopping it?
Speaker 2: My guess is the ability to milk as much money along the way. Things don't happen, you know, massive change doesn't happen overnight. Like remember the BCS and how people were so pissed off about it. Never in a million years did we think back then we were going to see a four team playoff. Then we got it, and then never in a million years did we think, oh, some other teams might have a chance to play for national championship. We finally got it. This is just the can is just going to be kicked down the road, and you know, the powers that be are going to make more money and eventually, to your point, we'll get to this you know, proposed super conference whatever we're going to call it, and we're going to watch it and people will be left out and they will be sad. And the people that are in will say nin or niner?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, well you're Look, I know you're not wrong. I understand, and I'm a grown up.
Speaker 2: Am I acting too much of like a fatalist like you.
Speaker 1: Like, you're not wrong, But it's kind of like doing this job every day. I can't crack the mic and be like, hey, guys, get over it. Jazz are rebuilding, so just go over And I'm like, go home. If I could, I would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be cool.
Speaker 1: But you've got to dig into this in a way that isn't as reductive as you just made it, even though you're not wrong. So here, let me stretch. Okay, let me try this. We're in about the softmore, we're in the Big twelve footprint. If you're not in the SEC in the Big ten, do you have reason to be concerned? Even if you're a program like the university for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't have any power to wield in this scenario, and the two conferences that wield all the power are throwing their weight around. I don't. I mean, maybe there will be an explosion of talent in the Big twelve, and maybe Dion's buffs will start ten to zero, and maybe Utah will write the ship and BYU Devin Dampier, Devin Dampier and Jake Retslov will be a Heisman Trophy candidate, and Iowa State will pick up where they left off, and so on and so forth. I don't you have to they have to show it to the country first, otherwise they're they just don't have the clout built in that these other teams and other conferences do fair or not. Yeah, like.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: I understand that nobody wants to watch, you know, Minnesota have a great year and then get into the playoff out here at least, and maybe some people do. But the reality is they're part of the They're part They're part of the club, and a lot of people aren't.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the sport is in trouble at all? In any way? She don't know, because at some point, whether it's the NBA and the apathy or college football and the disorganization, the only thing that will affect change if you're not in the room is enough people not tuning in to affect their bottom line.
Speaker 2: College football, to me is the most like international club soccer. Though, like you're talking about where people grew up, where they went to school, they are you are celeb rating a sport that is always going to be in lockstep with your perceived best years of your life, and that carves out a special place in the hearts of fans, and I just don't really see that evaporating. It is funny though, Like as we've talked about in the past, like when that proposed super conference over in Europe was put on the table and basically everybody, all the fans of the teams that would have been included, were like, this is bs. We're going to storm the field and like say like, we won't let you play games because this is unfair to the little to the little guys here in this country. We're just like, eh see you, good luck. We are a we are a have and have not country when it comes to a lot of things, but in sports especially.
Speaker 1: You know what, and if I'm leaning into some altruistic approach, I apologize. One of the reasons I've always wanted to. You know, I played sports as long as I could, and then in my career I've done a bunch of different things all around sports and entertainment. Before I got into radio, I worked for the Olympics, I was with Disney's wide world of sports for a little bit, then got into radio. And one of the reasons you know, I've always wanted to stay around it is it seemed to be one of the portions of our ecosystem in this country. It isn't simply just run like a Fortune five hundred company.
Speaker 2: It was, yeah, it was. It was a safe space.
Speaker 1: Well, and look, I grew up with VC guys. These guys are sharks, okay, and I never had any interest to me, what does VC mean thenure capitalists? These guys are sharks, man, and I never had any interest of hopping on the train to go to Grand Central at six thirty am, to work on Wall Street for fourteen hours a day until you got yours and then telling everybody to go bleep themselves at the age of thirty five because you bought an island. Maybe I should have questioned my life.
Speaker 2: Choice two do that for us?
Speaker 1: Probably? Well for me, man, Like I'm turning forty seven next, yek bro, So like this is the deal.
Speaker 2: I turned thirty nine this year, so you're still so yeah, I have so much.
Speaker 1: You know what, It's not too late for you, okay, if you want to be a VC bro, We're gonna you're gonna have to cut the hair, You're gonna have to wear like a suit. I'm telling you, I saw my high school friends grind for like a decade, to the point where I'd go visit them in Midtown. Like four of them, yes, like four of them shacked up in this little apartment. You know, they all essentially have a closet of sleep in. But these are like Yale MBA's, these are Harvard And there's like Ivy League Brooks brother wearing me if I chose an alternate reality way back in the day before I chose fun over that sure, And they all kind of said the same thing. We just know we have to do this for like eight to ten years and then we're good, right, And so I understand, and I'm a grown up about front facing revenue generating businesses. But like if sports has now only leaned into capitalism because Adam Silver runs the NBA like a fortune five hundred company the way that David Stern didn't necessarily and David knew was a business, but he cared about fan relations and the product and the consumer and the way the sport was covered. And there is this feel around pro basketball though they're simply, as Jason Kidds sat out loud two years ago, millionaires cheering for each other and they don't give a rip out of anything else.
Speaker 2: Well, you can see where they're coming from if you look at the current landscape of even professional sporting events. Why is it now more than ever that companies have a stranglehold on several one hundred, sometimes thousands of tickets at these things where it's like, hey, we have this suite, well, we have this suite, we have that sue because they have money. They have money to throw around, Whereas like, if you go to a jazz game, there are going to be people in the upper deck who love the jazz, have probably cheered for the jazz their whole life. And is it are they ever going to be presented with an opportunity to sit in a catered suite with R and R barbecue or Cubbies or Cafe Rio or whatever, cup pop Like No, man, Like, we we are trending that direction because now more than ever, a lot of rich companies have a lot of money to throw around, and they're going to probably write it off as oh, this is a business expense. We'll we'll take some people there, and we'll have our suite, and we'll have our multiple suites, and then we'll have our floor seats and so on and so forth. Like next time you go to a jazz game, like look who's Look who's down there? And who's down there? Like the last fifteen years, viven't people qual tricks people obviously now with Ryan Smith owning the jazz like, it's it is not hard to see where this thing is going, and it is. I don't know, maybe back I mean you used to go to jazz games back in the day. Maybe they once again.
Speaker 1: I still go to jazz games.
Speaker 2: I mean like, hey, he put you up to that. I'm just saying, like, does the doc exist in this generation of jazz fandom.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. No, It's it's look, it's a very depressing yet fair point trucks and Tesla's a lot of bedazzled jeans and spraight straight brim hats with dudes. It probably should leave the straight brim'. Is there anything more awkward than seeing like a dude in his mid fifties that is clearly holding on with steroids and fake tanning and bedazzle jeans and really tight shirts and a straight build baseball hat.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's like, dude, why do you want to look like me?
Speaker 1: It's really awkward.
Speaker 2: It's like I don't need a spray tan, but you don't need to look like me. Just look like yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's a bad look, but it's look, man, I can't cover it like this. I just I can't do the thing where even though there's part of me that understands your point and believes that you're telling the truth, this is supposed to be the toy isle of life, and I can't just crack a microphone every day and say, hey, guys, just so you know, the ownership groups of the team that you love care about one thing, and that's creating shareholder value for their investors. Okay, good night, talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Like it can't be a we talk about all your last week, Spence. We did, We covered, we covered Isaiah. Maybe next week we can talk about Kyle Philipowski.
Speaker 1: Flip as we call.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you're a if you're a Jazz fan right now, if you're a football fan right now, and you're tuned into the program, okay, and you have suddenly become.
Speaker 2: Like this mfort again acutely.
Speaker 1: Aware that it doesn't matter how much you love this team, doesn't matter how much you want to see them do well, it doesn't matter what you invest in this team. The people in charge don't give a rip about you, and the people running these leagues only care about one thing, and that's creating shareholder value for their investors. What's what's going through your mind? If that's all that really there is, there's no reason to give a rip about any of it.
Speaker 2: Quite frankly, well, if you are as if you are a Utah sports fan, meaning that if you are a universe Utah or BYU sports fan, be happy because within the last thirty years you've been able to cheer on very good teams in a multitude of sports at a level that a lot of other colleges in this country don't ever reach, especially at your level. If you're a pro fan, if you're a fan of the Jazz or RSL, You've watched your your soccer team hosts hoist a title. You've watched your basketball team make the playoffs like twenty five out of thirty years. Like sorry, like again, I'm going to continue to beat this drum like you want to be. You want to know who's sad? Spence Charlotte Hornets fans like, come on, if you have no reason to be sad as a sports fan in Utah, you really don't.
Speaker 1: Well, But based off this conversation, you have no reason to be happy if you're a sports fan anywhere.
Speaker 2: The truth is always in the middle.
Speaker 1: It's so sad, I might as well start a radio show covering tech bros. Raising funds to start an app in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: No, what you're gonna do is you're gonna turn on the concer calf match on your laptop on Juice Man in thirty minutes, and you're gonna see what the shape looks like.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie. I like when RSL is playing. I enjoy the soccers, of course, you know, it's great.
Speaker 2: It takes up so much time. We need a distraction, and it can be bad, and it often is bad. Sometimes it's good. Yeah, but what are we gonna do? Man, We're almost forty and forty, Like, what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm close to fifty broll coming up next month. I'll be much closer to fifty than i'm to forty. That's okay, I'm hanging in yeah, doing all right? All right, dude, Well.
Speaker 2: What's your prediction for the match tonight? One to one draw, bring home a point. My guy Diogo scores on a free kick. Free kick?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, what do you think the what do you think the formation will be? I read you the starting eleven. They have four defenders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it'll be I mean they'll go four two three one.
Speaker 1: Or two three one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because our guy Forrester is the only striker. Yeah, they're gonna bring in a striker before the start of the season.
Speaker 2: Well, the guy that they trade for that was going to be like the ideal replacement for Chichio decided he didn't want to come to Salt Lake and he was he was offended by the by the by the trades. Elias Manuel Oh I did not know. Yeah. Tom Bogert reported today that Elias Manuel did not understand the trade mechanisms within MLS and was unhappy when the Red Bulls decided to trade him.
Speaker 1: So translation, he didn't want to live.
Speaker 2: In Utah, he said, according to a statement provided to him provided to Tom by him, he has lots of respect for RSL, but he didn't want to be traded right, yeah.
Speaker 1: All right man, Well, illuminating stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, the sun's coming out. We're good man, everybody's good.
Speaker 1: We might get fifty degrees this weekend. You to go golfing if there's a spot. The rotator cuff is ready. I can swing your cloth a right man. Six weeks of PT. Let's get you out This show. Christopher com Rodnie from The Athletic brought to you today by our good friends at Burt Brothers. Check him out. With over thirty years of experience in nearly thirty loke, Burt Brothers ASC certified technicians bring expertise and professionalism to every interaction industry leading warranties and low price tied guarantees. Our good friends at Burt Brothers is a one stop shop for all reliable repairs and maintenance, from tires and alignments to fluids and breaks, offering a full range of automotive services tailored to meet your needs. Now offering value tire options such as Americas and some attires starting at just sixty nine dollars with warranties that go up to seventy thousand miles. As one of the few Triple A certified shops in Utah. Burt Brothers upholds the highest standards in automotive service. Stop by Burt Brothers your Tirebusters' locations or schedule and appointment today to experience the trusted service that has made them a Utah favorite for over three decades. Burt Brothers doing it better since day one. Check them out online at Burt Brothers dot com