Speaker 1: Hi, everybody.
Speaker 2: This is Chandler, and this is Chris, and this is Danny.
Speaker 1: And you're listening to the podcast. Guys, We're back with another Marvel Zombies episode. Because Chris can't get enough of Marvel Zombies, can you? I want more?
Speaker 3: Give me more, Zombie more.
Speaker 1: And we have a very special guest with us, Danny Huerta Crossman cosplay. You are an awesome cosplayer, Danny. We're so excited to have you on this podcast episode.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So me and Chandler have been to the Marvel Red Carpet premieres and have done the whole cosplay thing. But I want to hear about what the experience is like through your eyes and your experiences. What are some of your favorite characters that you've together through some of the different events and what were they.
Speaker 2: So I'm very fond of things by Nature. One of the first ones, which will always be like one of my more favorite ones was Doctor Strange. That's actually where I met Chandler and Dylan as well. So Doctor Strange has always been a go to Red Guardian. Of course, really it did kind of it sunk its teeth into me. Once you started getting a little bit more in depth with the character itself, because you know, what they've done with the MCU version really as opposed to what the comics had in store from has made them kind of endearing. But I've done Mister Knight and hell Fire Galla Moon Night. Those have been fun. Mister Knight was fun. I was one of my first real attempts at three D printing a helmet, making a helmet for the first time and using the lights for the eyes. Well, I like, it's not my favorite one because I like the lights going on in the eyes, but you're blind when it does that. Hell Fire gallam Moon Night. That was a labor of love, unto I think I'll revisit that anytime soon, probably not. Galactus was a fun one. I love that one of something for me about Galactus has always just been deep rooted, you know, in my love for Martl and Ameo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you looked amazing as Galactus, by the way. That was at the Fantastic four World premiere.
Speaker 2: Which was a blast, Thank you. That one. That one was interesting. My first time dealing with the foam to build a costume in July in l a very hot Yeah, I went, I went into I came out of that event weighing less than I went into it.
Speaker 1: I believe it. I will say, though, you did such a good job. I remember I didn't even know it was you. You're like, it's Danny, and I'm like, I did. I didn't even know. He looked so good as Glauctus.
Speaker 2: Thank you I did. I mean, it's outside of Marvel. I know it's weird that I do outside of Marvel cosplay. I did a gender bend on Himniko Toga for my hero Academia, but I mean it goes back in the Superheroes, so I mean, let's be honest. It just brings you right back home. I did a gore the god Butcher I've done. Kingpin's an easy one for me. I just shave everything, put on a white suit and a Hawaiian shirt. Bam, you fit it.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing roster of characters, of course, but you know you wore a red Guardian to this premiere of Marvel Zombies, which recently happened, and that looked so cool. It was in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, right, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was so awesome. First time I've heard of nothing. But like crazy fun events that co op in there. Of course I walk in there, We're treading on a hollowed ground, so I kind of keep that in mind. But I mean the amount of events that go on there and being able to actually be a part of that and it be Marvel Zombies was what I never ever thought that in like my wildest dreams, I would do anything for Marvel outside of you know, put together a tas play and walk on the red carpet or being a fan pit. Literally going from the shoot that we did for the marketing and promo, still in the makeup and costume, that was something else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should fill in some information here because you know, you were selected as a handful of cosplayers to be zombified by Marvel Studios themselves. So what was it like to be hand selected by that studio? Because I think they only did like six cosplayers or something. It wasn't that many.
Speaker 2: It was a childhood dream company. I had never thought my wildest dream like Marvel would reach out to me for anything. Yeah. Good. Growing up, I always thought, you know, maybe if I could do something for Marvel, I'll have this bucket list of doing something in some small way for Marvel Official like that, that'd be cool. You know. I go in to Comic Con. I thought, you know, hey, cosplaying, I get featured on some of these Red Carpet premieres in their live streams. I was like, that's amazing, and just being able to be part of that. I didn't think it'd get much better. So wonder Con is when I fell into Red Guardian, because it was already starting to prepare for Thunderbolts. So that's where I had my black Widow. Red Guardians, made the helmet, made the shield for it, you know, order the costume. I'm really good with, you know, augmenting things. But then I wore that to Thunderbolts. Fast forward to me getting into the Thunderbolts Red Guardian, and it looked really good. I kind of felt like this hero like Alexi was more or less built for you know those those older dad bought super soldiers.
Speaker 1: So you look just like him off the screen.
Speaker 2: Thank you, And made the helmet for that one, made the new shield for it, and then I wore it again, all right. I wore it at San Diego Komova. That's where things got really interesting. I was having a blast, you know, I was just putting the energy out there that you know Alexi Shostakov has. You know, he's not mild mannered, he's not reserved, He's very boisterous. He wants he lets you know that he is a world player, was a Guardian, you know. So I had a fun with that, and I think that's kind of, you know, going off on a tangent. Part of the reason we do this. We have fun with these characters that were portrayed, even if you're not conseplaining the point of these characters to bring in something that you enjoy, so you have fun with me. Was that the Marvel booth for the cosplayer then Marvel six one six cosplay meetup. I was on their reel. I opened it, I thought it was over. I thought this that was cool. Marvel's real at San Diego Comic Con. Then Marvel reached out and told me about this project and if I'd be interested. I was like, say, one, tell me how high and I will jump that high. And that led into the Marvel Zombies project, which taught me completely by surprise, and they zombiefied one of my Red Guardian costumes, which I actually still have up here. Every time I walk into this office. I look at it and I'm.
Speaker 1: Just like, yeah, yeah, because I guess you provided the costume. Then they put the makeup effects in latex and everything on it. How long did it take to going to get into that look oo oo?
Speaker 2: So it was a two part so it was a two day shoot, well day and a half. First day was the hero sheet. So I went over there with my second costume, gave it to the costumes to work their magic. These two Amanda and Frederick. They were going to town on these things. Now these are this was another thing. These are professional costumers that have credits to their name, light Guardians of the Galaxy, like Venom, like various Star Wars projects, the Walking Dead, you name it. And they were like, are you sure? Are you sure we could do this? We're going to tear it up, like have at it right. So I had my second suit that I wore for the main filming of us before we got zombified, and that whole first day of shooting and almost I think they went overnight. They spent zombifying all of our other costumes. Luckily I was a to give them a full set so they didn't have to wait for me to get done with the filming that we were doing initially to zombify it and made their life a whole lot easier. But the second day was when we got into it. So getting into costume, getting into makeup, it was about a two hour process. Mine was a little bit easier because I had the helmet, so all they had to do was really zombie fire around the eyes, bring it up into the ears and around the face. They had the zombie prosthetic that look where it was like bitten out of my face and the two special effects makeup artists wants to town on that. But overall to get into the zombie about two hours, it was about two hours.
Speaker 3: That is incredible. Now I have some rapid questions for you. One of the things that I love about the Marvel premiers is that they go all out and you see some pretty amazing things. Like at the Fantastic four premiere, they had a drone a show, a legit drone show. Didn't you go to an Indiana Jones one It wasn't Marvel, Bo's Disney Chandler and John Williams gave a concert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was in a surprise for everybody. Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 3: So I think you know with the Marvel Zombies premiere. For me, I didn't get to go, but I from seeing it from the outside, I know that being at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, that's where it was right amazing. It is the incredible place to have this event. They do Cinnespias screenings there as well. It is a perfect immersive environment for a Marvel Zombies event.
Speaker 2: What else was there.
Speaker 3: At the premiere as far as decor goes, so the main area where it was upstairs in their pavilion.
Speaker 2: I forgot what the actual kind of hosting of all was, but the main one if you could, you could go back and see where we were around that throne. They set that up to look like the Asgardian Throne room from you know, if you've already seen Marvel Zombies, you know that that very very infamous uh scene in there or it was kind of a gotch you for almost everyone in the everyone there. The outside was a little bit more mild. They had barrels knocked over, They had a bar off to the side the fountain they had completely filled with what was that Jones SODA's that had Marvel Zombies labels. They were custom made for that that's a shout out right, I'm telling you that's that's actually something cool. I still got two of them up over here. I got the Blade and the Thanoswing. So I went on that one big screen up over there. They had, you know, the outdoor set up for the seating, and I forgot I'm gonna I want to eventually pull up her name. But they also had two other cous players join them. One was the Zombie Captain America and the other was Zombie Captain Marvel and Zoe Captain America was wandering around Zombie Captain Marvel when I saw her. She was mostly in the outside kind of patium area, and then there was the main room where they showed where you had the showrunners and the majority of the other guests in there. So very very quaint kind of set up, but it was very comfortable.
Speaker 3: One of the best things about the premiers is being able to meet people that work in the industry, maybe even meeting one of your favorite celebrities, maybe even getting one of your props or costume pieces signed by said celebrities. So I know you've been to a lot of these, so can you just name drop some of the celebs that you've gotten to encounter, maybe you've gotten autographs from and then did you get to meet anybody at the Marvel Zombies premiere.
Speaker 2: Let's see, let's start things up with some names. So got to meet Blake Lively, Rob I Felt, Pedro, Pascal, Chris Evans, Vincentinofrio, Simoulu. He's one of a shunk. She is one of my comfort movies. I love that movie. So that was a big deal for me, you know, meeting Yeah, Ralph Einsten who played Galactis, I love that one, David Harber, Florence Pugh, Loose Pullman, everyone for Thunderbolts. That was a big deal for me. But I'd have to say kind of going back to Multiverse Madness still to this day, one of the my favorite people I ever had the chance to meet, and I never thought I would was Sir Patrick Stewart met him. I actually got to speak some words with him. He signed my multi Verse of Madness poster. It's one of my grails. It's one of my most favorite possessions and it's just a print. I mean, I do have my original Thunderbolts shield signed up by the Cat. I got the Galactus helmet signed by Ralph I have an Infinity Gauntlet and hold on, I got let me bring up here. I'll say it. This Infinity Gauntlet is, and I think we've talked about it before at least once or twice. The Infinity Gauntlet is the comic that really hard charged me into Marvel, first one I ever owned and read. I mean I've read and owned comics plenty before, but Mom was always buying those and so it was Dad. But this one, I remember buying it by an allowance. But the Marvel Legends Infinity Gauntlet signed by just about everyone on there, so that was that was done before the premieres. But this is, you know, a pretty clear runner up. There's another small one I have signed by Chadwick Boseman. I will never ever get rid of that and never sell that. It will follow me to my Carave got it chance to meet him before he passed god Rest. So that guy was an amazing actor, amazing human being too, because we talked for a little bit before kind of went out his way. So at Marvel Zombies, there wasn't really it was mostly the show runners zeb Wells. Oh, never I get a chance to meet zeb Wells. This guy's a genius, absolute genius. I kind of like to go into these things of blank slate outside of you know, actors involved with him. It's a nice surprise when you see someone who's really been involved with your fandom for decades now a show up there. It's an utter surprise. So seeing zeb Wells there was amazing. And then he comes up and he starts talking to me, and he liked the Red Guardian as a zombie. I was like, this is amazing. I'm like, who, Yeah, I'm fortunate. I'm honestly like less to have been to have these opportunities. You know, I know there's tons of super fans out there, amazing cause players just amazing overall people, and I'm fortunate enough to say I've had this experience.
Speaker 3: Danny. I want to get you your hot take on Red Guardian in Marvel Zombies, and I also want to hear your non spoiler review.
Speaker 2: Oh Red Guardian and Marvel Zombies. I don't think he had evolved to what we had seen him in Thunderbolts. He was able to really kind of get more or less his family back, and now he's doing everything he can to protect him. Was still that very avant guard attitude and a little bit of humor in there. Finally got a fight he had always wanted. Maybe not in the way that he had originally thought it was going to roll out, but it kind of moving into what we saw, you know, spoiler on this one, you know in Asgard or New Asgard is seeing him just wreck some zombie parts. I laughed. I was like, this is very much a Red Guardian thing to do. But because of his super soldier ceremony, he was able to fight off the transfer information for an extended period of time before it eventually overcame him, and of course it led into what we saw there towards the end of it. I would like to see some more Red Guardian. The What If series gave me, of course Red Guardian and Bucky, that whole storyline was great. I think David Harber really has given some love to this character and made him overall enjoyable to whereas you know, I'm sorry, you know this is you know, might be an unpopular opinion, but the Red Guardian in the comic books was kind of very hum drum for a very long time until you know, we started getting moving forward into you know, I want to say, what was it. The late nineties is when we started seeing a little bit more evolution in the character. A spoiler, it was a spoiler free review. Your feeling's gonna get hurt. Your feelings are gonna get hurt if you go in there. I was telling my now fiance is if you get attached to people like walking Ned or in Game of Thrones, get ready, get ready, get ready, You're about to get your heart broken. But I think it was a breath of fresh air in regards to Marvel's storytelling, and I'm all in it for season two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is dark and it is tv MA y'all, so get on it because it is good stuff. Well to celebrate Marvel Zombies and your guest appearance with us today, we are going to be covering Marvel Zombies Halloween. It's great because it's kind of like two birds with one stone here because we are in the month of October, our spooky season. If you will Marvel Zombies Halloween trick or treat, give the Marvel Zombies your brains to eat. The fan favorite freaky franchise returns for a Halloween one shot special. And if you love Kitty Pride, this story is for you.
Speaker 1: I love Kitty Pride? Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Do you like Kitty Pride, Danny.
Speaker 2: H it's me talking with Larry Houston on Pride of the X Men, watching that so much. Absolutely, oh yes. Well.
Speaker 3: The artist on this was Alessandro Viti and Fred van lent Is the writer. This was published October seventeenth of twenty twelve. What was the top song, Chandler.
Speaker 1: It's a song called One More Night by Maroon five.
Speaker 3: Okay have you ever heard of this? Danny?
Speaker 2: Yes, Maroon five? Absolutely yes.
Speaker 1: This is a song that is once you hear it, you're like, oh, I know this song. I know this song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you want when you walk it, you walk into like Target or j C. Pennies or a Macis and you're like, oh, oh, there it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be very hooky, which also a very Halloween specially you know perfect. Oh well.
Speaker 3: The top movie at the time was RG and This is directed and starring Ben Affleck. Acting under the cover of a Hollywood producer scouting a location for a science fiction film, a CIAA agent launches a dangerous operation to rescue six Americans in Tehran during the US hostage crisis, and I ran in nineteen seventy nine. I did not watch this movie. I don't like these types of movies.
Speaker 1: I watched it. It's fantastic.
Speaker 2: I did not. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Oh, guys, it's really one of the best movies of that era. I mean, I think it was a I don't know if it's one best picture for the Oscar or something like that. I feel like it. It was one of the best movies of the It was fantastic.
Speaker 2: I do believe it. I do believe it did win awards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Ben Affleck proving that he's an amazing director.
Speaker 3: I got one. I remember something our go fuck yourself? Hell no, wasn't that a joke that came out of that?
Speaker 1: Maybe? I don't know, it's other joke in a movie.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I feel like there was maybe an SNL skit. I don't know anyway, that was what was going on on October seventeenth of twenty twelve. Let's get into the issue, guys.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's on the cover? What do we see?
Speaker 1: Well, we see some iconic Marvel characters and they are at the door. They are trigger treating. But they don't look like themselves. Oh no, they look good do we see here?
Speaker 3: It's oh, yeah, it is Daredevil and Black Panther. Is that Luke cage over there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: Indeed, Pumpkin buckets are full of break.
Speaker 3: What's fun about this is the campiness of this cover because you have the flying bats in the background, and you can't have a Halloween themed issue without flying bats in the background.
Speaker 1: In the moon of course.
Speaker 2: It really bring kind of brings you back to the old days with like the Marvel you know, the the Marvel horror stories that they had. Oh it kind of emulating with a more fresh spin on how they you know, the covers looked in there. I'm I'm all for it.
Speaker 1: That's great. It's great art. And also you know we've got the title of Marvel Zombies Halloween and it's got all the spooky lettering for Halloween. Very nicker treat, you know, time to type whatever typeface. It's it's cool. The colors are great. I really like this cover. Actually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, on the first page, we have a scene straight out of The Walking Dead with all these zombies getting shot up in a field outside of a house that is surrounded by a fence. And guess what's happening we see a sniper. That sniper is Kitty Pride, and there is somebody calling to her. Mom. Mom, Actually, you know what, for the rest of the issue, Chandler, I want you to be the kid. Okay, all right, you'll be little Peter, I'll be Kitty got it, and and Danny. You're all everybody else, all the zombies and me. Fisto.
Speaker 1: I guess it's really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, alrighty mom, Mom, I think there's something in the walls.
Speaker 3: Weren't you watching the monitors?
Speaker 1: I was right. I want to see it. We see the zombies on their TV monitors.
Speaker 3: Well, this is an old house. I'm sure all you heard was settling. Scratch, scratch. Oh, there's something in the wall. His eyes widened, and she says back, and this is not just any sniper rifle. This looks like a Tommy gun sniper rifle. This is like a million bullets coming out of this thing. Come out where I can see you, dirty.
Speaker 1: Little mom, bad word?
Speaker 3: Wait, well hello there, how long have you been stuck back there? Well it's a kitty, my god, I can feel every bone beneath the fur.
Speaker 1: We we better feed him then and keep him safe, right, Mom?
Speaker 3: I'll name him Blackie Original with sweat bullets, you know, coming down her head. Well, this is a fun little easter egg. On the next page, what do we see here in that top corner.
Speaker 2: We'll see man Thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's a calendar and we see that it's October and man Thing is the month of October. Now is this like every Marvel like creature gets a month or something, or is this like a pin up calendar? What is going on with this pin up?
Speaker 1: A man pin up?
Speaker 2: I kind of have a feeling this was sold in stores at one point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, Well, so who which Marvel hero would be on your birth year, our birth month?
Speaker 2: Danny Marvel hero of February. It's gonna be Temple Easy.
Speaker 1: Because he's just he's so romantic, he's a gentleman.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna I'm gonna stick with Marvel monsters here because it's the theme. And I'm gonna say Dracula because didn't that issue with Storm and Dracula come around around my birthday anyway?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 3: Maybe no, that was a Halloween. That was a Halloween. Maybe Dracula is mine.
Speaker 1: You gotta make one, Okay, April is my birth month. And what is a Marvel monster that goes with spring? And actually I'm gonna go with Schuema.
Speaker 2: Gora, thank you, thank you for calling him. I can't I can't win. The other name.
Speaker 1: What was it, Jayantrou or whatever?
Speaker 2: Gargantos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know why, but that's that's just what came to mind, that that's the monster for April.
Speaker 3: So the kid figures out that, hey, wait a minute, there is a date circled on here and it says Halloween, Like, mom, what is that about? Like on the calendar? And Kitty kind of explains Halloween and what it is and that, you know, it was kind of something they did before the plague. She would dress up when he was she was about his age, but you know, probably not his dad, who we learn is Peter Resputen, because I guess they don't have a Halloween in Russia. And while she's explaining everything, we see a zombie shambling through the meadow, approaching the greenhouse where they are just unsuspectingly, you know, doing their gardening and stuff, and that zombie steps on a land mine.
Speaker 1: Caboo.
Speaker 3: Yes, Kitty, you know Blackie the cat, the new pet, is being mischievous and getting all over the place, and kidd He's like, uh, yeah, I gotta watch out for this cat because cats like to get in everywhere. Okay, so you know, the kid's fine. The kid can take care of the cat.
Speaker 1: Mom. Mom, can I ask you a question you just did? Can we celebrate Halloween?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Well, holidays are for a whole community, and there's just us. It's a distraction from trying to stay alive.
Speaker 1: Are you saying? If Dad was still here, we'd.
Speaker 3: Do it, not necessarily, but Dad isn't with us, because because I got distracted. I can't let that happen again. We've got to keep focused on staying alive.
Speaker 1: But now we have black. You know, there are three of us.
Speaker 3: Again, the number of us isn't really the point.
Speaker 1: But it'd be fun to be somebody else for.
Speaker 3: A day, you're telling me. But we don't have that luxury.
Speaker 1: Oh come on, mom. If we don't get to have any fun, what are we staying alive for?
Speaker 3: Which is a very good question, exactly right?
Speaker 1: What are we alive for if not for to have good times?
Speaker 2: Ysolt?
Speaker 3: So little Peter Resputant is rummaging through the basement and he finds the perfect Halloween costume and also decorations. By the way, what do we see, Danny.
Speaker 2: He's wearing a little bee suit in the Wolverine costume.
Speaker 1: The kid is so disappointing. He's like, this was for a hero. You couldn't find a spider Man.
Speaker 3: Well not everyone would agree, but he was always my hero, small and fierce, just like you. Oh that's so endearing, so cute and convenient. That they were growing pumpkins in their greenhouse, right, Well, of course she made the jack o' lanterns. Although you know what I will say, I call bs on kittie because if this were those zombie apocalypse, you gotta save those pumpkins for food. So I'm hoping that she like, you know, did something with the seeds. She's gonna like, you know, make a whole pie. You know, she will.
Speaker 2: Reuse those pumpkin bag, that pumpkin bread.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's actually like a lot of decor in that house for Halloween, so they did pretty well. Yeah, absolutely, but the little boys, yad, it's just.
Speaker 1: You said there'd be candy.
Speaker 3: Oh right, I forgot about that. I might be able to scavenge some in the SAMs in town. I'll be right back. Say some bobbing apples for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, bye mom, Lucky, let's go play into Becky. Oh Lucky, come here, boy see a door.
Speaker 3: We see little Peter like looking out the window forlorn, like, oh no, where are you? And then we see the cat in the field amongst the zombies, and so the little boy has to go running and choosing after him, and the door clinks right behind him. What do you think of the art this? I feel like this is a fun page to comment on the art Danny, what's your hot take?
Speaker 2: It really like, I think we said give me Walking Dead vibes. I forgot what season, but the house, one of the first houses they get into, kind of gives me that vibe. Like I'm looking at this like this is probably one of the most wholesome places, you know, a family, yeah, would would live in prior to the whole zombie apocalypse. But now you actually just see the how everything has fallen into, you know, lack of repair and getting worn out. The trees are kind of echoing the world around it as opposed to which as being fall It's everything's dying at that, you know, your leaves just aren't falling off trees anymore. You have them falling apart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so much decay, and even more decay on the next page, because we get a panel that shows the town and all the decrepitness, all.
Speaker 1: The dead zombies is laying around, just everywhere, just littered about, a giant mood in the background. And by the way, Chandler, I've said this before and I'm gonna say it again, but there's two characters that I love when you do what is Butler?
Speaker 3: You know who's bursting in? Okay, sure, you know I love when you do that. And then I love when you do kids. So oh yeah, for whatever reason, your kids are always fined. So let's continue with little Peter searching down this very scary, horrific street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's I can't believe he's so calm, going amongst all these dead zombie bodies. But he's going, Blackie, you're here, here, here, here, And then he turns and sees a house, an immaculate house actually with a light on, looking nothing like the homes that are in this neighborhood. I don't think he's seen this house before. He's kind of mesmerized, and he goes up, he knocks on the door, and who should be there but an old man.
Speaker 3: It is an old, creepy looking man. He's bald, he's scraggly. He looks like, you know, a murderer of some sort.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wants absolutely nothing to do with anybody. What does he want? What do you want? Why are you dressed up foolishly?
Speaker 1: I'm it's Halloween?
Speaker 4: Why no?
Speaker 2: What isn't? Witless child? The date is clearly the thirteenth of October, your day off.
Speaker 1: Oh I was sure I was right.
Speaker 2: Well you're not. You're wrong.
Speaker 4: It's all hollows Eve Eve, which is a completely ridiculous idea for holiday if you ask me, and much prefer what they call it in Detroit, Devil's Night. Come back tomorrow with your tricking and you're treating, and then I can help you.
Speaker 1: But I'm I'm not. I'm looking for a cat, a cat, a kitten. His name is Blackie.
Speaker 4: If you had any brains at all, you'd be more worried about yourself.
Speaker 2: Don't you know what happens on these streets at night?
Speaker 1: Slam, the door goes shut, the kid walks away, sad. Wait, mister, how long have you been out here. Aren't you afraid of that?
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 1: The house is gone?
Speaker 2: What is what's happening here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an empty lot. The house is now gone.
Speaker 3: And then the little kid realizes own. But then you see something.
Speaker 1: Oh he's just lacky. Oh my god, you scared me. And then I didn't know that the squirrels get zombified, but I guess later we see this character, perhaps they're all psychically zombified.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, that zombiefied squirrel is menacing and he is ripping right through Peter's costume. But guess what he's saved from the He's say, from the zombie squirrel by another zombie Julie power.
Speaker 1: I thought this is Carolina, Oh Carolina, Sorry, this is I'm sorry. They have similar powers. Carolina from Runaways.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's from Runaway.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: What do you think of her face? Oh my god, she looks terrifying mm hmm, but I love it. I feel like this is because Carolina is an alien mm hm. And so maybe this is her alien skull coming through in her zombie form. Ooh.
Speaker 2: Kind of gives it more of a ghool look as opposed to just peer zombie.
Speaker 5: But I mean, yeah, yeah, I think it was kind of alluded to that the DNA of extraterrestrial races does get affected by the virus differently for h one.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Well, Carolina is grabbing the kid and flying him through the air with all of those rainbows, you know, floating behind her. I love those. Something about this though, is that the rainbows are a little bit more faded. I don't know if you notice this, but I remember the Runaways her rainbows were like more vibrant.
Speaker 1: Perhaps, yeah, it could be.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's stem marsch is? She's devoid of a lot of her humanity in life.
Speaker 3: So now everybody is fighting over a little Peter in the Wolverine costume. Blackhawk comes in and shoots Carolyna right in the back and then comes crashing through the wall. Is metal Just a little bit about this guy. His real name is Ken Mack. He appeared in Avengers Academy Number one back in twenty ten. His powers include being able to transform into an organic red metal like substance. It grants him superhuman strength and durability, and despite his intimidating exterior, he's generally portrayed as a kind hearted and loyal person.
Speaker 1: So that's him, which is why we were confused to you was red Skull because he literally is a red skull, like he has.
Speaker 2: A red face, and that that's just a product of him being you know, his flesh withering, is having the zombie virus. So then I'm just sitting there. I'm like, there's gotta be I've seen or heard something.
Speaker 3: Of this, but yeah, wow, Well Mettal is crashing the wall and we are now on a basketball court outside, and there's two and more characters.
Speaker 1: That have appeared. Yes they well, one is one of the Power Pack kids, which is why I thought Carolina was Julie Power because it's Alex Power or zero G I think is his character name. And so anyways, one of the Power Pack kids. And then a squirrel Girl, which makes sense why there's like rabbit squirrels out there.
Speaker 2: That breaks my heart. I love squirrel Girl so much.
Speaker 1: Oh who I mean, everyone loves her. I love her her lying best mischief night.
Speaker 2: Ever and that's not tippy Toe.
Speaker 1: Oh no, tippy Toe. I can't see it.
Speaker 3: I can't see it, you know, to be honest, of all of these crazy zombies that are attacking right now. I am most afraid of squirrel Girl. You know, it's always the cute ones. When they go crazy, they go the craziest. She is so cute. I love squirrel Girl. Normally I'm scared of zombie face squirrel Girl. So they are all fighting over Peter, and uh, this little power pack kid lifts them up in a force field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like yeah, like zero gravity, basically zero g.
Speaker 3: Little Peter's falling from the sky and squirrel Girl points up and says Alex mett o, look manna from heaven.
Speaker 2: Well, well, well what do we have here, Wolverett.
Speaker 1: Come on you guys, let me go go faios up first, yep, And the little power pack kid has is Peter up in a force filled bubble.
Speaker 3: And then he continues on, let you go.
Speaker 2: Why do we do that? You're the first one sack of oregans we've seen in ages.
Speaker 1: All I want I want to find my cat. Have you seen him? His name is Blackie. Oh. Their mouths are open so big?
Speaker 3: Oh oh is he serious?
Speaker 1: Shut up? You guys are bad and stupid and that's why you're dead. You don't have any parents and no one loves you and you're all hungry all the time, so you shouldn't be laughing at me just because I care about something other than myself.
Speaker 2: Oh, that put us in our place. No, guys, it's one of you. Grab a lamb.
Speaker 1: No, No, when.
Speaker 2: I let go of my zerogi, feel make a wish.
Speaker 3: My gosh. But then, uh, the little old power pack boy is getting shredded into by a bullet, and Kitty is in the distance with her sniper and she says, here, baby, come to mama. And then little little Peter.
Speaker 1: What does little Peter do? He uses his his costume claws to stab dark Hawk in the eye. Oh, he comes, grabs him and says, I'm sorry, Mama. I know I shouldn't have gone out. You were right. I should have watched Blackie closer. I'm sorry he's gone. And later you know what to do. Right, hold my breath.
Speaker 3: And as she's carrying him and they're running full speed right at a wall, Kitty uses her phasing power and they go right through, and she says, good boy, damn it, what do we see zombie squirrel or squirrels? No, they were all inside of the school, in this hallway with the lockers, all those red eyes. They are going to kill everything.
Speaker 1: And then there's this high school moment where Carolina says, nice job, squirrel girl, You're not as useless as you look and sound and act.
Speaker 3: Thanks Carolina. Do you think maybe I can eat with you now? As if oh my god, even a zombie girl the mean girls in high school exist.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Caroline is not a mean girl. I mean, I will give the zombie the benefit of the doubt, but Caroline is not a mean girl.
Speaker 3: I think. I think it's kind of like red kryptonite. You know, it's like everybody who's a zombie turns into a mean girl. I think that's how it is. Actually, let me take this back. I remember that there were some zombies that are super intelligent that they will maintain their humanity if they are fed, and the you know, the more hungry they are, the less human they become. I see, So it is possible to just barely hang on to that humanity.
Speaker 2: And then ring me if I'm wrong. There's a flip side of that token too. If they go long enough without feeding, the zombie virus will burn itself off and they'll either die or revert back.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know, kiddies, trying to protect them, and they're obviously they're making moves on her and Peter. And out of the corner comes somebody that starts saying a riddle or more of like a phrase.
Speaker 2: Please to me too, I hope you guess my name. That's puzzling you. The nature of my game.
Speaker 1: Nah, what's puzzling me is how far I can ram this fist up your small intestine before I yank it out and swallow the slimy tribe?
Speaker 2: What and dark oxen in? They're illumin children want a pity? Really, so few elders love to teach in the old ways, the true ways.
Speaker 1: The old ways are gone and forgotten, man, that's why they're old. Ooh, and then he just lights dar Hawk up in fire, all ablaze.
Speaker 2: Who Yes, I've seen many threats to the human animal come and go in my years, and you thought, and though you remain among the most efficients, you are also the least imaginative.
Speaker 1: D burning on the inside, knew. I can feel it. I can feel my heart boiling as metal is burning from the inside.
Speaker 2: The mindless other not bound to any nationality, or faith or sexuality of your skin color politically acceptable because your hostility is so perfect by the fallen you or me.
Speaker 1: Oh, and here comes the fisto, Yes, majestic a f Yeah, look at all that swilly, red smoke red cape is caping. We've got, We've got.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait till we see more of him in the MCU.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, not wait. The glimpse of him and iron Heart was fantastic. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: What happens next is he's leaning over a cowering captain Pride, who is protecting her son Peter. And they were by the lockers in this school hallway, and the pisto says.
Speaker 2: There's so few, there are so few souls left in this world. I can hardly be blamed for preserving those whom I still might around, particularly this night, my own feast day. Countless millennia of all follows eaves.
Speaker 3: I'll never let you have him.
Speaker 2: So all mothers say. And countless are the women's souls have acquired, and their misguided efforts to make the words stick. Remember this day, Peter rests, Pute and Pride, What should I say? Peel true after your blessed medal colossis of a father, And when I next come to you and make you an offer to our moodule benefit. You will have sympathy for what I did for you and your mother this name.
Speaker 1: And swow she's gone.
Speaker 3: Might ah whew, that's one way to spend an evening, he says Catherine inside of their house, all safe and snug. Once again, Little Peter's crying. Hey, hey, brave little guy, what's the problem. We made it, like you always like, I always tell you, we'll make it.
Speaker 1: Oh why why does it matter if in the end I'll just go with him?
Speaker 3: Hey, now, listen to me. Nothing's predetermined, Okay, nothing, especially not him. You've got choices.
Speaker 1: Did Dad end up with him?
Speaker 3: Dad? Are you kidding? He walked right past old Man's scratch like it wasn't even there. Your father was the best and the most noble person I ever knew, and up until the very end, he believed things would get better, that there was an end to this plague and humanity would make its way back. And we see a really cute photograph of Colossus and Kitty Pride in front of the ex mansion in their glory days.
Speaker 1: Oh do you believe that, Mom?
Speaker 3: I I believe this is folloween, she says, as she's wiping the cheers from his face. Where the dead are with us in spirit, not just in rotting flesh like they are every other day. That means your father's here. Can you feel him? And so I believe? Oh, I stumbled across a present for you when I was on my way back here and discovered you were gone. Why don't you go take a look? And then Peter is looking through this.
Speaker 1: Uh it looks like a jack O lantern. Oh, mom, Mom, thank you?
Speaker 3: Sure anything?
Speaker 2: Kid?
Speaker 3: I couldn't find any candy at Sam's though, Sorry, I don't care.
Speaker 1: I have everything I need. Inside, we see little Blackie.
Speaker 3: All snuggled up and safe and sounded as cute as a little kitty in the pumpkin, and the pumpkin.
Speaker 2: Very much as well.
Speaker 1: How sweet, how sweet? And how fun to see Carolina Dean and squirrel Girl Zombie and all those characters.
Speaker 2: I'm personally terrified of a squorel girl zombie.
Speaker 1: Me too.
Speaker 3: What was your favorite part of the issue.
Speaker 2: Don'ty Mephisto kind of getting anything with Fhisto's in. There's always gonna be some tragic undertones in there. You know, I'm making a deal with the devil up over there. Yes, we know he's the devil at the actual devil, but him, even in the face of the zombie apocalypse, he's still finding ways or means to try and corrupt souls to really maintain his power.
Speaker 3: I personally loved the little Peter in the little cute little Wolverine costurle. Yes, that was adorable. That was perfect for a Halloween issue.
Speaker 1: What about you, Chandler, Well, as I said, it was fun to see the zombie characters of the Marvel heroes that we know, such as Carolina and Squirrel Girl and dark Hawk so random. I love the idea of the writer being like, so, which characters haven't we seen, let's add.
Speaker 2: Up to the story and which ones are we going to kill off so quickly?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, everybody, you can watch Marvel Zombies right now on Disney Plus. It is currently streaming the whole series. How many episodes is it?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: There are four about half hour episodes from Marvel Zombies. It does take off from the what if episode, so you can double back on that. It's not necessary reading because they do do They do kind of spinny up in that, but great, great change to the normal heroes that we know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Where can we follow your adventures at more horrible Red Carpert premieres and your amazing cosplay Where can we see your Red Guardian cosplay pictures?
Speaker 2: Oh, you can find my shenanigans on Cross Cannon Cosplays on Instagram. I post a lot up over there. I like to have fun with this. I love creating everything as a collector, as a fan. I've gotten to the point where I make my props now and I put a lot of that on on my social as well as you know, when we meet up, whenever we're at a convention or we have enough watch party. That's those things are amazing. But yeah, Cross Cannon Cosplays on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Awesome. Well, thank you so much for joining us for this spectacular Halloween special of an episode of X Reads the podcast. Everybody Please go follow Danny on social media. You will be amazed. Happy Halloween, everybody.
Speaker 1: Now it's time for uncanny news.
Speaker 3: News news news news. Oh boy, Chandler. We have a doozy of a HUD insider for you today, and this is all about the Uncanny experience. The immersive X Made Fan Convention, happening in September of twenty twenty six in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We have a new feature that you the student get to decide on.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's an exciting time. As in our world of Xavier Institute, we have created sub sector houses. We have House Exavier, House Health, Fire, House Pride, and House Morlock. And this year or this coming year, we are going to introduce a new house for you all, one that makes you feel a little.
Speaker 3: Bit more evil, perhaps a little more villainous.
Speaker 1: Perhaps Indeed, Yes, there is a brawl of a vote going on between these two houses, and we are going to let the people decide, and then we will build the house, design its logo, and create its universe within our Exavier Institute. Those yes, Chris, who are those two houses?
Speaker 3: Well, the first house we have is led none other by the person or the mutant who is right Magneto. This is House a Brotherhood themed after the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. So this is more about joining a rebellion and standing up for mutant rights in the fashion De Magneto does.
Speaker 1: Yes. And on the other side of the vote, we have House Sinister. Yes thinking, diabolical thinking, evolution, you know, laboratory manipulation, manipulation. Yes Sinister obviously is known for cattiness for high fashion, or you know, capes upon capes upon capes and having so much fun with himself that he clones himself just to have conversations with himself. So Sinister is all sorts of personalities and that house is up for vote right now, so you guys can decide are you going to be in on Magneto and House Brotherhood or in on Sinister Nathaniel Essex with House Sinister.
Speaker 3: Mm and what comes with a new house Well, new badge, ribbons, new pet rallies, new common rooms, new decor within the Xavier Institute x mansion and new programming.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, and maybe a special guest m hm goes along with the house. We'll see, we shall.
Speaker 3: Well, let's tell everybody how you can get involved.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can vote on House Sinister versus House Brotherhood on our social media platform so you can go to Instagram, Facebook, Blue Sky and I Believe, Twitter and we and discord our discord channel and you can place your vote. You comment on the post and we count across multiple platforms, so you can vote on each platform to contribute to your favorite house. So go for it. You know, if you are all in on Sinister, go all in across all of our social media platforms. You can find us at the uncanny exp on most platforms, and then we get to hear your voice.
Speaker 3: That's right, So polish those animantium claws, tighten your capes, and get ready the future. Xavier's hangs in the balance, and it's up to you to decide, all right.
Speaker 1: Lose and other news, Chris, we got to meet someone pretty cool, someone pretty golden.
Speaker 3: You could say, oh my god, Okay, I wasn't going to talk about this because it's not an X Men thing, but how could I not talk about this. Have any of y'all listening seen this movie called K Pop Demon Hunters?
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 1: I've seen my good times.
Speaker 3: I resisted it for so long because everybody was like, you got to see this, you got to see this, and I usually mentally tune out, and I saw it randomly and I was like, this is the best thing ever created. This has changed my life. Oh my god. And then I got into the algorithm, because once you're into algorithm.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's the whole world becomes K Pop Demon Hunters. So I can't believe that we got to meet EJ who is the artist who created all the music for k pop Demon Hunter songs, Yes, songs, and she is also the singing voice of Roomy.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's the one hitting all those high high notes exactly and what yeah, So anyways, EJ she is. She has written K pop songs for her whole career, writing for huge acts, including twice one of my favorite girl groups. And yeah, she got brought in early and we got to go to the Grammy Museum and hear her and the music executives from Sony talk about making the music of K pop Demon Hunters, and it was quite insightful about how long they were working on it for almost ever eight for eight years, I think, like Demi, yeah, pre pandemic or first first conversations in twenty eighteen, which is just crazy to think about working on this and then yeah, working through Pandemic and having it come out in June of twenty twenty four, and can you imagine just being blindsided because you're like, this is a fun project, It's got fun, catchy songs. People will like it. No, everybody loved it. The world I I love to and like say is how my father who's almost seventy loves it. Seen it twice and my nieces who are seven love it and watch all the time. So like the age range, and I love it. I'm forty three, so it's just like we're hitting every generation with this movie and they love it. It's wild the history making of these songs. Billboard chart topping, record breaking fictional girl group, mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And I love the fact that, like EJ when she created Golden, she literally was just humming it in her head and she was on her way to the dentist and she's like, oh, let me just put this on my little recorder here. No no, no, no no no, And then like that turned into this massive hit, and it was such an honor to be able to be in the audience which she played it for us. Yeah, you know, she played the original recording of When this Melody Birthed into the world. How magical, so cool.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 3: Well, she is a delight and you know, we got to take pictures with her afterwards, and I hope that she skyrockets to superstardom because I could tell she is just an incredible human and what an amazing talent.
Speaker 1: Eju rock absolutely, Oh my gosh. Wow. Well, this Grammy Museum is in downtown LA. You know what else is in downtown LA, the LA Convention Center, and what happens inside the LA Convention Center, Los Angeles can That's the segue we all were looking for, weren't we.
Speaker 3: Oh right, Well, as we alluded to in our last episode, we hit the scene at ELI Comic Con hard. It is so surreal because for me, I used to work at the convention for like five years as the community manager, and I have loved that convention so hard for so many years, and now I'm back helping with the X Men cast and the Marvel Rivals cast, and it's amazing. This is a definitely a great year for LA Comic Con. I must say. With the Marvel Rivals, Chandler, you got to moderate a panel and also host the cosplay contest. Tell us about your experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, as Chris mentioned, I was the moderator of the Marvel Cast panel. So the voice actors of Adam Morlock, Storm Silock, Winter Soldier, nay More, Dagger, Iron Fist, Jeff the land Shark, they were all on stage and I got to ask some questions about, you know, being their characters, finding their voice. Three of them play the game and they stream it on Twitch. It's really fun and so that was engaging to do on the main stage of the West Hall and the Gaming Hall, so it was really fun to be up on this large stage with the large, you know, jumbo screen behind you and look at out at all the people in the audience that are dressed up in their little characters that they love so much. My favorite was the Iron cosplayer in the front hall who had the big sign that said cheaper town Halls because Iron Fist when he heals his alt line, it's in Chinese, I can't quite say it, but it sounds like cheaper town halls. I thought that was really fun. And then yeah, the cosplay contests happened right after, and you were instrumental in making that happen, so thank you so much about getting people signed up, registered in line, and then we got to call them up on stage. They did a couple poses and they got to yell the character aultline and the cast were the judges and they got to pick their top five winners, and it was really cool. We got donated prizes from Funko Pops or Funko Collectibles so whatever they're called, and Marvel Games themselves Marvel Rivals gave in game currency and they donated I think like three hundred or five hundred dollars worth of in game currency. It's really cool. Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. I would love to give a shout out to the winner of the contest, who was dressed as Blade so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he looked great mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And we saw some cosplay from the Rivals themselves.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Well, Alpha has been casually costplaying as Silock at multiple appearances. Alpha Takahashi, the voice of Siloc but Layah Mountjoy, the voice of Winter Soldier, debuted his Bloodstone or blood Camera blood Hunter outfit from the skin from season one and it looked amazing. It was super cool.
Speaker 3: M yeah, so good. Well, while you were while we were busy with the Marvel Rivals, we also had the X Men ninety seven cast, and we had the voice actors for Jubilee and Morph and sun Spot, and Adrian Huff joined us to Nightcrawler amazing. Yeah. And Leonora Zan was there of course, the voice of Brogue. Her and I had such a fun time. After the con was over, we actually stayed at the hotel an extra two days just uh so that we can hang out at the pool and like decompress. So I me and Leonore. That's like our goal now after the cons is to have a nice pool, you know, outing before check out. I loved it. Yes, Ali Comic Con, big success. Oh oh oh, I forgot to mention the Okay, so Jade, I love you. Who works Sally Comic Con. She hooked me up with a photo op with Elizabeth Dowson.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: No, I got to meet this scarlet witch. Oh my god, Like I'm such a dork. My smile in the photo so big. Yeah, you were super happy. I was super happy and she just seems so cool. So I'm so grateful. I got to have my picture take in with Elizabeth Olsen. Yay, yay.
Speaker 1: Well cool, Yeah, that's super fun. And we got, you know, more stuff coming up, guys, stay tuned for cool projects that we're working on, cool events that we're putting together. And yeah, we can't wait to do more and bring more content. And you know, obviously x Reads went on a nice little hiatus. Chris and I needed to hunker down on Uncanny Experience and make sure it was the best it could be. And so it's fun to be back and creating episodes for you guys.
Speaker 3: Yes, and stay tuned because of the next episode, I'm going to recap my adventure at New York Comic Can. X Reads is recorded in the United States.
Speaker 1: Our theme music is written by Austin Wintrey.
Speaker 3: Please make sure to follow our podcast to be updated on when new episodes appear every first and third Wednesdays of the month.
Speaker 1: Follow us on social media at x reads podcast That's the letter, X ri ads Podcast on Twitter, Instagram, at Facebook.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for listening by