Speaker 1: Comes into Oway, Oway sprints up in the front court, drives it down to the baseline, flips it up. Hold Kentucky five to play shot from back parts.
Speaker 2: No god, oh my, oh way, face to dad. Yeah they did it twice. Remember that play? Yes, I know you do.
Speaker 3: That was from the SEC Tournament, the Kentucky Wildcats knocking off Oklahoma thanks to otega Oway, who had transferred in from Ou and for the second time disappointed Sooner fans with his heroics.
Speaker 2: And now he has delighted.
Speaker 3: Kentucky fans with an announcement that he will return and be a Wildcat again.
Speaker 4: You know, this year exceeded all my expectations, through all the highs and the rose. You know, I found a family in Kentucky forever. So let's running back and stay home.
Speaker 3: That was the announcement yesterday. Welcome to the Big Blue Insider, Dick Gabriel with you. Well, of course we did and have it on last night's show because I was involved with Jerry duty.
Speaker 2: So here we are a day later.
Speaker 3: But the Big Blue Nation, of course talking about this because really, when you look at the Kentucky roster, it is complete now and this is the first day essentially of the era of the twenty five twenty six team. If you want to mark your calendar from when the season really began for this upcoming Kentucky team, this is the day because on this day, when you got up this morning, everything was settled. Really when you went to bed last night, everything was settled because Oteoga Ohway came back, which was expected. But I see so many people on social media I kind of got a kick out of it who instantly recognized when they saw always announcement on Instagram that he had recorded this some time ago while he was still a UK did it over at the Craft Center, were in UK gear, And so some people have I think drawn a mistaken conclusion that he was always coming back to Kentucky. That's not the case. Common sense tells you that had he decided not to go to the NBA, sure he comes back to Kentucky, He's not going to enter the portal and transfer again. I mean, he could have, but no, there was never any indication that that was the case. No, he was going to test the waters for the NBA, get everything out of it that he could, which he did, waiting until the last minute, but getting as much information as he can to help him moving forward.
Speaker 2: But it only makes sense.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure somebody UK suggested that to him, Hey, you know, if you decide to come back, we sure hope you do. Let's go ahead and record that now, because if he had made his decision within the last forty eight hours leading up to the deadline, he would have had to record that in a hotel room and a gym somewhere else. He could have had as UK gear on, but it wouldn't have the same backdrop. And you know, he had people from UK working with him on this announcement, So this whole NBA draft thing was not you know, a ruse or just you know, an exercise. He was serious about this, of course, because had he excelled even more, I'm sure he did well, But had he excelled to the point where a team said, you know what, we're going to take you in the first round. In fact, we're going to take you in the first you know, fifteen slots or something like that, he would have.
Speaker 2: Left and you couldn't have blamed him.
Speaker 3: But because of the financial considerations with the NIL, he didn't have to settle air quotes for being either a second round pick or a free agent with a two way contract with a G league. He did what was financially prudent, but also what was best for his career. You think about a kid in his shoes, best possible situation. Because of the nil dollars and because of his skills, he'll be there next year, he'll be in the first round. I believe he's sitting on a huge year. And I only say this and you're probably thinking the same thing because of what happened with Antonio. Reeves came back at his best year as a collegian, helped himself enormously, and of course he was on the nil doll as well. And by the way, you may have seen this, but Kirby Smart was talking to yaou Sports and he talked about the fact that some NIL collectives are spending five figures a month to retain commitments of prospective recruits. He wasn't talking about just Georgia collectives. These are collectives everywhere, he said. In some cases, kids are getting twenty thousand dollars a month from collectives. Now, if that kid, let's say he's getting it from a Georgia collective, if he doesn't go to Georgia and signs elsewhere the collectives quote will request that money back. Requesting is one thing. Getting it is another. And it all depends on what's written down. Is there paper, Is there any kind of legal agreement on paper? Otherwise it doesn't exist. But it's Smart pointed out, these are high school kids getting money from an entity not affiliated with the university, but is a collective of the university, and there is a fine line. Yeah, who asked Smart to name the schools to which the collectives he referenced are affiliated. He would not, but said the programs aren't SEC members. How about that again, no guardrails. They're trying like heck to rain this in. And as I mentioned a few days ago, and you may have seen this on social media, Tennessee University of State of working against the guard rail, else passing legislation that basically says we can do whatever we want in Division one. When it comes to nil's paying our players not healthy, that'll end up in court. But there's a lot of ground to cover between now and then. Anyway, back to the Wildcats, otega Oway is a Kentucky Wildcat once again, and the play he made in the tournament was sensational, But of course It goes back really to what he did during the regular season when Way, against his old school, brought the Wildcats all the way back, scored Kentucky's last eighteen points and made a huge play at the very end to win the game. Kentucky had been leading eighty to seventy. Oklahoma goes on a fourteen to three run up eighty four eighty three was six seconds left, and then here came the former Sooner to win the game.
Speaker 5: Calls for Away to come out, takes the handoff, always got it, goes to.
Speaker 6: His left down the lane, angles right, flips it up Godad.
Speaker 2: With six seconds to play, here comes Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Fierce drives into the lane, goes for the rams clock by Garrison, picked up by prayer.
Speaker 2: Oh my MirOS on the clock, and the Cats get out of Oklahoma on the wind.
Speaker 5: What up when Ohtag Always saves the day against his former school, and that.
Speaker 3: Of course the voice of the wildcast Tom Leech and and elated Jack Gibbons. So now you keep you here to the tracks about who's doing well in pickup games. They gotta stay healthy all that, But it's a big day for the Big Blue Nation, and in fact, an ex Wildcat Shay Gilgris Alexander adding another trophy to his personal trophy case. You may have seen some of this game last night. I can't blame if you didn't watch the whole thing unless you're a big Oklahoma City thunderfan. Absolutely destroyed the Minnesota Timberwolves, including Julius Randall, and including Anthony Edwards, who apparently had some problems with Shay Gildess Alexander being named the MVP for the entire season. I mean, he was clearly the MVP of the series, but SGA being named MVP and Anthony Edwards either flat out stated or kind of applied to I'm the best player in the league or I'm better than he is or whatever. And of course his nickname is Aunt, just like Anthony Davis. A lot of people call him Aunt. But Converse, which is SGA's shoe sponsor, dropped an ad last night right after OKC punched its ticket to the NBA Finals. It released a video featuring a real ant, of course, indicating Anthony Edwards of the Wolves.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's all. It was video of an ant and.
Speaker 3: The text reading nothing left to say, question mark unbelievable. How about that? The shoe sponsor taken up for its favorite player at the moment, so Converse going after Anthony Edwards with a video on all he can do is swallow it. But he did. I mean, he did not have a great game, missed ten of his first eleven shots. It was not a game from Minnesota scored the first bucket. It was a three by Edwards. That was it for more than seven minutes, really more than eight minutes, as Minnesota's got buried by Okasee, and he owned it. He said, basically, we lost the series. They took it to us, we didn't respond and I wasn't good enough. So now we'll see how that affects him in the near future. Former Wildcat Shay Gildess Alexander hosting the championship trophy from the Western Conference named for Magic Johnson, and the MVP Trophy as well. Before we hit the brake, Mark Pope and Kenny Brooks, two pretty good hires right from Mitch Barnhart. He did an interview down at SEC meetings. It's going on right now, the Spring Meetings in Destin, the annual event, and big things often happened down there. Paul Feinbaum hosts his show from down there and we played earlier. I guess back last week maybe a comment from Nick man jonas he was talking to fine bamb at the SEC Baseball tournament. Finebaum moved his show as People to Deston and he is talking to everybody, including Mitch Barnhardt, and he talked to Barnhart about the fact that the UK Athletics director made two pretty good hires when it came to basketball coaches, Mark Pope Kenny Brooks.
Speaker 7: Just just two really special coaches, you know, and have the opportunity over a three week period of time to switch both your basketball coaches, uh and bring in two guys that are so bright and so thoughtful. They came in and they had essentially no roster and no coaches, and what they did from scratch and in the new world that you can do that a little quicker, There's no question about that. But and then obviously coach Brooks brought in and a dynamic player in Georgia Amore, who was so much fun to watch with the team that she made everybody better around her. And then coach Pope obviously put together a roster that that fit his personality and his team, and the two of them together. They played off each other very very well, and it was It was a lot of fun. And there's there's probably a chapter two in the book somewhere along the way for the way it all came together. But boy, you couldn't have done it without really really special people.
Speaker 8: I certainly don't want to tell you what to do. I think you ought to consider writing it. It would be an extraordinary conversation about the inside of one of the most dramatic moments in the history of the greatest basketball program on the face of the earth. I would love to read it, so put me down for a pre sale copy.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Curtis City, the SEC Network, that is Mits Barnhart talking to Paul Finebaum. When we come back. We'll hear from Nick bnjee on in the Wildcats. The baseball Cats open up NCAA tournament played tomorrow at noon down at Clemson taking.
Speaker 2: On West Virginia, a game you'll hear.
Speaker 3: Right here coming up a little bit later on Aaron Gershaan of the Cat's Balls, Sean Woods, our unforgettable guard, and West Ham Bureau chief Gary Moore. We usually talk to these guys on Wednesday, but as I said, Jerry Duty, we had the best of last night, so slighting everything one day. It's the Thursday edition of The Big Boon Sider. Here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to.
Speaker 2: The Big Boon Sider.
Speaker 3: Coming up at the bottom of the hour. Aaron Gershan, the Cats Paws, our number two, Sean Woods, the Unforgettable Guard and West End Bureau Chief Gary Moore. And of course tomorrow at noon it's Kentucky baseball, the Wildcats in West Virginia opening NCAA tournament play down in the Clemson Regional. And earlier this week we had a chance to chat with Nick Minjeon and a couple of his players and one of the things Minjeon talked about and I actually brought it up and I played the comment the other night on the show about how he spoke to Paul Finbaum on the SEC Network about margin of error being so fine, and how he had the Kentucky season whittled down to a handful of plays that separate this year's team from contending for an SEC championship, which had won last year. It is so minute, the margin for error. But what that also meant was this team struggled a bit this season, but because he somehow got these guys to realize how close they were to being what they they want to be and need to be. That's why they've been able to come back so many times this season from some rough patches and put themselves in a position to play in the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for bringing that up, because yesterday I just told him how proud I was of them, because when we went through that stretch where we were losing those one and two run ball games, there's so many other teams that would just folded and been like, man, this is too much, this is too much, and this team did not do that. Like I have so much respect for them. But a lot of it has to do with some of our leadership, the guys that have been in our program, you know, like Devin, he's been here five years, and Evan and James and Novi and Patty and these guys that have been in our program.
Speaker 2: They just they've helped us.
Speaker 3: He broke down all the stats again for the media as symbol how many pitches are involved in a game and a season, and how so many wins and losses can turn on one play, which means one pitch, which means one moment and when you look at it that way. And again, every team can say this, but Kentucky can say it just as well as anybody. They're that close to being at the top of the conference.
Speaker 1: I can tell you that we are nine plays away from being back to back SEC champions. I've got it down to nine plays. I can tell you every single one of them. And I say that because that's how small the margin of victory is. And to get this team and to get this group of new players to understand that, it's a real challenge. But they understand it now, and I told them yesterday, I'm like, I hope you guys understand now.
Speaker 3: I always think about that when I'm covering games and you look at a rally by another team that starts with two outs and two strikes, or a walk that you know leads off the inning and opens things up. I mean, one pitch here and there makes the difference, It really does. You know how many times have you seen a guy laced one down the line or knock one out of the park on a one to two or zero to two pitch. Clearly a mistake by the pitcher, but it can turn that inning around, which can turn the game around, which can turn the series around. It just goes on and on like that. But that's baseball. A lot of sports. Every sport turns on moments. But because baseball breaks down the way it does, it's easier to chart it. I think pitch by pitch, and I've thought about that for several years. Of course, Nick, being a numbers guy, has it all broken down and he's got these guys understanding it. And now they're playing in the NCAA tournament and Patrick Herrera, who transferred in a couple of years ago from Northwestern, is having a chance to play in a third consecutive NCAA tournament. He was a big part of that World Series team last year, even a bigger part this year when he hasn't been injured.
Speaker 2: And this is the.
Speaker 3: First time that the Wildcats will play in the NCAA Tournament on the road, and Herrera said he can handle it no problem.
Speaker 9: The thing I've just done my whole career. You know, high school baseball is obviously different than college, but like when I've played in you know, high pressure, cool environments, I just you know, people who are nervous or when I get nervous, I just take some time to enjoy the moment. Like if the crowd chirps you, it says something funny like laugh, it's pretty cool. You know, loud crowds just take a moment. So, you know, being an offer sect like this is a really cool moment. I've worked super hard to get here. I've done this for twenty two years of my life. I'm just going to stick to the training and you know, things will fall into place. So yeah, I just kind of enjoyed the moment and when it gets roudy just like that.
Speaker 3: Area has led the Wildcats and on base percentage much of the year, but again has had a rash of injuries. He's dealt with, you know, a groin injury, an arm injury. But he makes a difference when he's in that lineup, he makes a difference. You're not a power hitter, but he can hit for extra bass. Tremendous defensive player, but vital to this Kentucky team was Evan Byers. He is a veteran of this team. He has been his fifth year. He's a fireman, short relief guy. He bring him in in the middle of the games, usually every now and then he'll close one out, but think about him. He's from Nicholasville, played his high school ball in Electionon and he was watching Nick benjalones first ball club, which won a regional title back in twenty seventeen, and dreaming of being a Wildcat and the following season.
Speaker 10: He was, Yeah, I take great pride in it, you know, as a university and as a fan of Kentucky. I mean I remember going to the twenty seventeen regional here and then kind of signed the next year after. So it's kind of a full circle moment to be able to, you know, be a fan growing up wanting to play for the University of Kentucky, then getting the opportunity, and then go into three straight regionals. So it's a great opportunity and I'm blessed to have it, And it wouldn't have been done with all the guys in the locker room, you know, the guys in the locker room, the coaches in the offices, they're doing everything what it takes for us to be success one, giving us every chance and resource that we need. So it's been really cool to see how this program has grown in this university, and it's just I love to see the joy that that brings to fans, because that's what keeps us going.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, if fans will follow this team down to Clemson. Don't know how many, but a lot of people made it to Omaha last year, and I'm sure if this team somehow gets to Omaha, you'll see Sea of Blue there as well. But Clemson's a tough place to play, they all are. However, this has been deemed one of the more winnable regionals. Clemson's good, that's why Clemson's hosting. But it's not an SEC team at all. Due respect, we know how tough that can be, so the Wildcats. Of course, you don't go to a regional hosted by an SEC team, But this is not a place that's as tough to win, say as Arkansas or LSU or Texas. Clemson's tough, tough to win on the road all the time, but again, games turn on individual moments. Make enough of those moments, you got a chance to go to a super regional. The bad news is if you win, you probably go to LSU. But I can tell you the Wildcats would accept that gratefully. Now if you told them they'd be regional champs again and we will have it for you right here. It's a noon start eleven forty five. Pregame up next to Aaron Gershan of the Cat's Paws here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back. We are chatting with Aaron Gershan of the Cats Paus who joined us usually on Wednesdays, but of course sliding everything a day for my jury duty. And it's fortuitous, Aaron, because now we can talk about Otago always decision we had talked yesterday, we would have missed it. But he is coming back. I guess, not a real shock. But are you surprised he waited till the last day?
Speaker 5: No, I don't.
Speaker 11: I don't think so at all. I think one it was just because of the schedule. You go look and he had no He had to work out with Brooklyn Mets on Tuesday.
Speaker 5: I believe.
Speaker 11: I don't know what team it was, by I know he had to work out yesterday as well. So he went through the entire process as he should. Get all feedback. You possibly can meet with every team that is going to let you in there building, see what they have to say. You know, it just takes one team right to get that promise you're looking for. And if he got it, you know, he would have been well in his right to go ahead and take it. But clearly he didn't get what he was looking for as far as that goes. And now he comes back armed with the feedback of the NBA knowing exactly what they expect from him to be a first round.
Speaker 5: Take next year.
Speaker 11: That gives him motivation for himself. And you know, I just know the competitor he is. He's already motivated for you know how well last year went, but you know a sour taste in your mouth about how it finished. So it's a I think it's a great situation for take. You know, any guy who's on the cusp like that should absolutely take it down.
Speaker 2: To the wire.
Speaker 11: And you know, you saw a couple other players pull out yesterday from the SEC. I mean you're talking some really good players, which between Otegaway, it's hot Pettiford from Auburn and then LeBaron Pylon from Alabama who said he was fully in and now he's out. So massive there for Alabama. But you know, these guys are doing what they think is best for them. And I couldn't agree more with Holloway played out the process. I thought he played his cards perfectly and it worked out for Kentucky and him at the end of the day, for sure.
Speaker 3: Do you think with Otega it's premier one, not primarily, But is it shooting as much as anything? I mean, his defense is good. I guess you can always you can always improve your handle, I know, But do you think that's what starts with him?
Speaker 5: Probably?
Speaker 11: You know, I know he doesn't have the most I don't know the word I'm looking for. It's not the most unpleasing shot. I guess the little hick she has in this three point shot. But you know, he's not a bad shooter. Thirty five percent last year, thirty seven point seven percent the year before at Oklahoma. So you know, I think it's probably that, probably some of the handle, even some decision making. You know, there are a couple of games where some of the turnovers piled up and maybe even just some you know, I wouldn't say lack of daysical plays, but you could tell frustration would get to him at some points, and he tried to do too much. And you know, luckily when he tried to do too much at Oklahoma at worked. But you know, sometimes it didn't work out. So yeah, I mean, I think it's all that combined. And look, he's a guy who has what it takes I think to be a first round pick next year. And he's a guy can play multiple positions. He's a guy that, like you said, is a great defender. He's really strong for his size. The shot is there, it's just got to be more consistent. So you know, I think all those things probably added up to him coming back at what he has gotten gone in the second round. It seems like with how he did at the combine and how he tested throughout the process. Probably but you know, why not come back when he's a chance to be a first rounder next year and come join this one, get paid more than he in the G League are on a two way and to you know, come and be a part of this roster that you know, they built it around him. At the end of the day, this is a guy that they wanted to build around for the twenty five to twenty six season, and you know, the plan kind of got finished off with an exclamation point.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, talking to.
Speaker 3: Aaron Gershain of the Cats Ball as he covers a course baseball, football and basketball and that means that you've been there more than once. When Mark Pope has talked about his offense, which is a bit different from a lot of others, not just the straight motion that everybody likes to run, and it relies heavily on decision making. And I got to think when you're in your second yar and he talked about that at his last news conference. I know you were in Florida, but you watched it online. Huh about guys in his system making that quantum leap from year one to year two, not unlike college freshman in any sport, but with the understanding and the grasp of the Mark Pope system, with their quotes, I gotta think O'll take a Oh really, anybody coming back, He's going to have a big time with with that, with that system, now that they can they can play without thinking about it. You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 11: And a couple of weeks ago, when he first made that point, I you know, put together a list of some of the guys who made second year jumps, you know, when he was at his previous offs of Utah and Utah Valley, and you know, without going through all the names, I'll just give you one. Jackson Robinson yst year at b YU, you know, wasn't bad, but he was, you know, averaging about eight points per game. He started every single game, but you know, he wasn't that knockdown shooter. He his offensive game wasn't there necessarily. And then the next year he comes back. You know, he plays most of the season off the bench, but he average, he leads the team scoring. He has his best three point shooting season in his college career. He wins Big Twelve in their first year in the Big Twelve, sixth man of the Year, and he leads BYU again in their first year in the Big Twelve, a huge jump from where they previously were at two. They finished fifth in that conference, and they end up a sixth seed in the NCAA Tournament with the Jackson Robinson as they're leading score. So you know, he obviously stands out. You know, there are other guys who have made pretty big jumps. I think off the top of my head, he had the biggest. But yeah, I think, look, I would take it away. You know, it's going to be hard for an average much more than sixteen points per game, just because of how Kentucky shifts guys in and out. But yeah, you can say I think the turnover numbers are going to go down when the surprises of the shooting percenta shows up a little bit. I think the one guy I look to the most with the second year jump because of the position he plays, Brandon Garrison, or the decision making. I mean, it has to get better, obviously, we all know that, but I think it just naturally will having a second year in the system, knowing where guys are going to be, you know, knowing your shapeabilities. You know, we'll see if he continues to develop as a three point shooter where he feels more even more comfortable, or he realizes he's a little less comfortable. You know, I'm taking some of the threes he had last year, but you know, that decision making from him at the five spot where it's the focal point in the offense, I think that's going to be the guy to keep your eye on the most for a second year jump.
Speaker 3: I am curious about Garrison and his passing. Not bad, not a Maari Williams, which it's you know, it's not fair to expect him to be Mary Williams this past year, but how much better can he be, because that's a vital part as you know, of this Mark Pope system.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's going to be key, especially because again Jaden Quainton's is a guy we just we don't know, like he towards Stacey. Allen had surgery at the end of March, so you know, eight months. Could he be back in the court in seven and a half months. I think that would be maybe, And you know, for his case, that would be incredible and hopefully it happens, but you know, you take that, I'll be very surprised if he's right ready to go for the regular She's an opener just based on what we've seen the previous guys. But uh yeah, so it's gonna be even more because he's probably your starting five. He's going to be playing a Mari like minutes early in the season. And you know, again, like you said, I don't think he was a bad passer last year. I just think there were too many mistakes that if he's going to see expanded minutes, he's got to he's got to get rid of some of those.
Speaker 3: You know, I watched Ryan Waldschmidt come back from a torn aca, and every injury is different.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 11: This is what it was.
Speaker 3: It's just fascinating from athlete to athlete.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know. And wald Schmidt again blew his knee at the end of his.
Speaker 3: Previous year, actually was in the summertime, yeah, summer, Yeah, and pledged that he would be ready by opening day and he almost made it. You know, but every injury different, every person is different. But in every doctor I'm sure goes conservative when they talk about when's he going to be.
Speaker 11: Back exactly exactly, and you know, there's he seems to be taking this rehab process extremely, extremely seriously, which at seventeen years old. Is really impressed this because you know, who knows what the mental state could be when you have an injury at that age. But like that at that age. But you know, he's out there working every day. I saw he. You know, he's in Lexington early, you know, working with the UK staff. He I saw, you know, I don't think he was doing anything on the court, but he was standing and walking around the court right you know here in late May. So you know, all good things. I just like for the face, I just pump the brakes a little bit, like you're gonna even if he is ready, you know, I don't. I would think he's gonna be on a little bit of a pitch count too, So you know, Brendan Garrison's going to be crucial, especially all year long, but really especially in November because they don't they'll have a couple cupcake games, but they have Louisville probably second or third game of the year. They have Michigan State fourth or fifth game of the year. You know, it's a gauntlet quick.
Speaker 3: But March is where it's at and they know.
Speaker 5: That, of course.
Speaker 11: I mean, you know, of course, but those games are key for see for setting you up for March and seedings.
Speaker 3: They are We're talking Aaron gershan and the cast Balls. We'll come back and talk more basketball and some football and Aaron on the other side of the break here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back. We're talking with Aaron Gershaan of the Cats Paus. We've been talking Kentucky hoops. The Thunder will play for a title. But against whom your beloved New York Knicks man.
Speaker 2: They have run into them.
Speaker 3: The Pacers have been beating them up. Karl Anthony Tams doing what he can. It's got to be tough for you Knicks fans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so close.
Speaker 11: And you know, the Indiana rivalry being reborn is is a good little part of it at least, you know, you don't like losing them two straight years, how it's going to look. But yeah, they've They've run into a team that's red red hot and plays a really exciting Brandon basketball And you know, people forget how good of a coach at Cardisle is. I mean, this is the guy that was doing it down in Dallas at Dirk and won that championship towards the tail end of Dirk's career. So beat the beat the dream team right with Wade, Bosh and h and Lebron. I mean, so you know, it's a they're running into a really hot team. I think at the end of the day, I'd be pretty surprised Afokse's not the team that wins at all regardless, but uh, you know, you definitely tip your cats to what Indiana's doing well.
Speaker 3: The New York media beat up Karl Anthony Towns in the offseason.
Speaker 11: He's been everything and more for them. I mean, uh, they he was a piece they really needed, clearly, and you know, the guy they should be given a hard time as as Mikel Bridges, who they traded a lot for to get to bring across town from Brooklyn, and he's been the guys that are really rough here honestly.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I guess anything you can expect anything from the New York media.
Speaker 2: I suppose they're the best.
Speaker 5: They're the best for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: Talking to Aaron Gershein of the cast Paul's covers football, baseball, basketball, You've been able to get out to some of the baseball games for the Wildcats. What kind of a shot do you give them starting tomorrow in the NCATE Tournament.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's interesting because I was going through all these stats on the teams in the regional and you know, to me, what it comes down to is Kentucky's their starting picking does what it's capable of. They're gonna have a shot in a lot of these games because Clemson they're pretty good offensively. They have their center fielder is going to be a draft pick probably pretty early. But aside from that, they're kind of middle of the pack and the acc offensively. West Virginians lost nine of their last fourteen games.
Speaker 5: They have some.
Speaker 11: Pretty good hitters in that lineup, but you know their strength is in the pitching staff, and then usc Upstates actually the second best offense in the country. We all know their conferences. The picking is probably not at all what they're going to see in this regional but you know, they're a team that can really hit. So I think Kentucky starting pitching is going to give them a chance at all these games, and it's going to become down to their bullten, which has been where they've blown games consistently unfortunately this year. So you know, I think they're going to need that tend to kind of pitch the best. That's obviously they need to in this time of year, but specifically with these matchups. You go look at Clemson and they have an outstanding bullten. You look at West Virginia they have an outstanding bullten, and both Clemson in West Virginia also have two really good starting pitchers. Even usc Upstate has two first team All Conference starting pitchers. So I think a lot of these games, honestly, just based on on numbers throughout the year, could be pretty low scoring, which is kind of right where Kentucky has played all year. Right, not necessarily low scoring, but one run games, two run games, close games. I think you're going to see a lot of that in this regional just based on how good the pitching isn't it. And it's gonna be up to you UK's bullten. If you kids, the bullten could pitch the best it has all year. And I'm not saying that in a joking manner, but like if they show up, because they have at times like they picked really well Innoxville, which is not an easy place to pitch. If they can do that, I think they have a chance because I don't like again USC Upstate on paper statistically as they've seven hitters in the line of hitting about three hundred, like two in the high three nineties, one at four hundreds. So like statistically, these offenses that they're playing against their beatable. It's going to be a matter of Kim the Bullfen holds it down for me and Kim starting pitching do what it's done all year, which has been pretty pretty dark good.
Speaker 3: Kentucky has played at USC Upstate, believe it or not, at least a couple.
Speaker 11: Of I worked the game they opened last season there, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and and they've played their other times, so I can tell you that ballpark is conducive to offense. But to that point, they've got pretty good pitching as well. And this West Virginia team Kentucky's facing is kind of a mirror image of UK.
Speaker 2: Isn't it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, West Virginia had a better regular season. Obviously, they won the Big Twelve regular season title, but they're coming in limping a little bit. They've struggled down the scratch, they've lost them series, they didn't go far in the in the Big Fall Tournament, and that's really why they're not hosting. They were if you go look at all the projections because Kentucky has been on the ball for two months and a lot of those projections had them in the Morgantown Regional. They're not hosting a regional because they've had a rough last three weeks this season. So but still they're the Big Twelve regular season champions. That's, you know, probably the second best baseball conference by the SEC. Well, I say third, ACC is probably second, but you know, the Big Twelve is not a bad baseball conference by any means. They have several teams in this tournament. Arizona I believe might be hosting. I'm not sure if it's top my head. But you know, a good, good baseball conference that they went out and won. But you know they're kind of they're not playing the best ball at the right time. So we'll see. It's gonna be Tomorrow is gonna be. I think it's one of the best first round matchups on paper in the entire tournament with these two teams. So it's gonna be a lot of fun, meaning some on Friday. And you know, you just got to win the first one. Oh yeah, really when you if you lose the first one, I'd love to know what the stats are. Man, it can't be good.
Speaker 5: But well, you know, even.
Speaker 11: If you win the if you win the first and lose the second, you're still you know it's hard, but give a chance. But losing the first one really put to you in an almost impossible position.
Speaker 3: Oh it scram as you're pitching now. Kentucky and or MinJe On has twice come out of what they don't like to call it that the loser's bracket to win the regional but I think those teams were deeper and weren't dealing that clearly with the injuries that this team is a couple of minutes left with Aaron Gershin last week spoke to you. You were getting ready to do your interviews for the upcoming football yearbook with the coordinators. I know you're still working on that stuff. And without giving away the store, what can you tell us? Can you tease us a little bit with what you got?
Speaker 11: No question, I'd say we'll start defense. Brad White is very you know, he's very very confident in this group. Actually probably opened up you see White and soups phyfically and handed in to an extent. But I think he'll give you a little more. They really have shied away from player praise because they don't want those clippings right where guys maybe read into them and and hype themselves up. You know when you go read it, Brad raddled off like more guys than I could have thought off. So he's very high. Yeah, I was pretty surprised by it, honestly, And you know, he he was very forthcoming with how much he's expecting from a lot of a lot of specific guys. So he's very very high on this unit and the depth they have, So that that was encouraging to me. And then offensively, you know with Bush, he was it was it was definitely fun because there's so much new. I mean, there's a lot new in the defense, but the offense is just I mean, what do they have back to starters Jalen Farmer and Josh Tattis and then Jagger Burton you can throw him in there as well. Like it is, just there's just so much new, So, you know, getting his perspective really for the first time, and a couple of guys that maybe we didn't get to touch on in the spring during those interviews. You know, a little bit more on bat Calzada while they believe in him, a little bit more on you know, the cutter Bowley and his process and you know why, you know what made him you know, stick around and be patient through it all because you know, in this area it's just so different. So, you know, a lot of good stuff there. Definitely interesting. There's a tidbit of the running backs that I thought was really interesting that you have to read it. It definitely seems like they're going to rely on the two seniors first and foremost, so they're not two seniors, two veterans. Yeah, McGowan and done so uh yeah, good stuff there.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we'll check it out. And we will talk further with Aaron Gershawan as the summer unfolds. Thank you, sir. Follow him on a gershan ninety nine on Twitter and in the pages or the website cats Pause part of the two four seven network. Talk to you next week You Got It Power number two with Sean Woods and Gary Moore Next on six thirty w l apt.
Speaker 12: Tact Can.
Speaker 3: Anything Then, Welcome back to the Big bluee Sider. Usually we talked to shutting Woods on Wednesdays Jerry duty bumps us to Thursday my jury duty, So coach, welcome back to day late. I know you probably weren't surprised that o'takeo away made the decision he did, but the fact that it went to the last day did that surprise you? I mean, I know he was just trying to get every bit of information he could.
Speaker 5: No, it didn't surprised me, because that's his ultimate dream and he want He had to go to the last workout for the last team UH to to get all the information that he needed to see if he can move the needle a little bit as far as his draft status was concerned. And then when he got everything that he needed, you know, he just compared the news, and and and and and decided that, you know, coming back to the UK would be the best situation for him. Not only does he get to prove, you know, and become better at with the things that he needs to work on. And also you know, he would have taken a major pay cut, you know, being a late first round or a second round pick, compared to the money he's going to get coming back to the UK. So I think it's a win win for him. He gets another crack at trying to get Kentucky to where they need to be. I'm sure Mark Pope and his staff is ecstatic about it, because my opinion was if he didn't come back, it was going to be a major blow to Kentucky just because of what he presents and brings to this team, because the last month or so he carried Kentucky on his back, and to have that type of caliber player coming back in this day and age, with all these transfers and things like that, it's big time for us. And with the additions now he gets to show those new kids got to remember they're still new and even though they come from major programs or whatever whatever, you know, you still got to have some guys coming back from experience of knowing how you do things, and he can be a leader on this team. And now Mark Pope's opinion about him is much different than it was him coming in. Mark didn't think that he would be this good. I'm just telling you, I don't think he did did exactly. So now Mark knows what he's getting. He's getting a guy that he can depend on, a guy that he can ride with another and a guy that can really be a major presence from a toughness standpoint that Kentucky lacked last year. So you know, he sets the standard and it's good. You know, you got to have guys in your program that's at the standard that helps you build your program and continue. And what better way to bring Otiga back. I'm ecstatic. I'm happy for UK basketball. It's a great day to be a Wildcat because he's coming back. And I'm sure Mark is too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, that's a lot to unpack, so let's do it. He had to go and get as much information as he could. If you were talking to Oway and you walk the same path you had an NBA tryout, you're a professional coach, So if you were one of those people sharing information with him, sharing observations. Not that you're trying to tell Mark Pope out of coaching team, but what would you say to take away, Well, this.
Speaker 5: Is the thing you got to worry about. Does he become selfish? Does he come back and worrying about getting doing the things from a personal standpoint that he needs to to try to make the NBA? You know, is he is he going to buy into the team concept? What is his role going to be this year? You know what I'm saying. I'm sure he's gonna want more touches. He's gonna want more opportunities to score instead of being an opportunist. You know, he's gonna want to be the guy. So now the whole mindset changes how you coach him. What's his mindset going to be coming back? What is going to be What are going to be his expectations from Mark Pope as far as how he's going to use them. You know what I'm saying, the better his chances of getting to the NBA, because I'm telling you right now, that's what he's more concerned about, more so than winning the national championship. I bet you that that's just being human. Nothing wrong with it. So they got to come to an agreement and meet you know, me me, you know the meaning of the minds on how we're going to do this. You know what's going to look like. Because I'm sure he's as to Mark Pope, you know, what's my role going to be on this team this year? Am I gonna be the go to guy? You know? So on and so forth. So there's some conversation going on right now. And I'm sure because here's the deal, he still has an opportunity to leave and go transfer, just like all these other guys. You know, look at look at Boogie Flann. You know, he didn't he didn't get the information that he wanted, you know, going to the NBA, and he doesn't go back to Arkansas. You know, I mean, you never know how this thing works out. So I'm hoping that his he and Mark Pope can come to an agreement and to where he's still bought in as far as what the mission is from a team standpoint.
Speaker 3: And I know that social media being what it is, you're just kind of take it at face value. But and I don't know if you saw his announcement on Instagram, but i'd have a hard time seeing him. And I'm not talking with my heart either. I'm just saying, you know, to make his announcement the way he did based on what he said, and that's that's today, that's May. That's not the basketball season.
Speaker 5: I didn't I didn't. I didn't hear it. So tell me what he said.
Speaker 3: Well, he just basically was in UK gear at the Craft Center, saying that he found a new home in Kentucky, you know, and he wants to come back and do it all over again at Kentucky. And of course he recorded it back before he began his NBA trip. But that's that's only makes common sense, you know, if you want to do it in the UK gear in election and you're going to do this before you take off for all these different workouts all over the country. But it was clearly a big blue announcement. Now and you're right, I mean, something can change between now and then. I'd be shocked if he left, especially based on I would.
Speaker 5: Be shocked if he left too. But I'm just saying it could have a day's world, that's right. You never know what how these kids think, you know what I mean? You know that that's all I'm saying, you know, guys, you know that's the reason why we got the guys that we got. Yeah, you know, we got a top player from Florida who's a six man on their on the national championship team, and he wanted to go somewhere because he didn't know or he didn't you know, he didn't like the role that it was going to be presented to him, you know, going back, So he went somewhere else to start a new you know, And that's just how these guys think.
Speaker 3: So does Mark Pope do you think tweak? I'm not going to say change the way he perceives a way within his offense, because you know, I don't think anything major is going to happen, But does he tweak the way he uses a way and what he expects from him and things like that.
Speaker 5: Always going to expect that, you know, he's going to expect to be a go to guy, you know, and rightfully so he earned it, you know what I'm saying. I mean, he put Kentucky on his back the last month of the season. You know, when everybody was gone, he was the only guy that can't go get a bucket on his own. So now you got some players that can go get a bucket. You know, the dynamics and the landscape has changed. He wants to know, because of his future, how he's going to be used, and you know, he's human. Is he going to be a little bit more selfish? Is he going to force a little some more shots more so than he did this year? I would be shocked that he didn't, because he's a competitor and he wants to be a pros.
Speaker 3: How much of that, though, Sean, depends on what the pros told him. I mean, I'm sure they said a lot.
Speaker 5: They want to see some things that he didn't show, and he's going to try to show them. And does that fit into what Mark Pope does?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 5: What do you think?
Speaker 3: What do you think that he needs to show them just as a guy who's observed his game, that.
Speaker 5: He can be a more of a consistent shooter. One. Two Can he really take you off the bounce and be a two guard in the NBA, because right now he's not a break you down guy. He's only six four, okay, and six four to two guards sit in the corner and let the point guard make all the decisions and you got to be the one who's knocking down open jump shots consistently. And then on the other hand, I think really is really good at I think he's really good at being a major, high level defender. So I think they liked that part about him. They just want to seek how good he is on the offensive end, especially when it comes down to knocking down shots on a consistent basis. So I'm sure that's the major deal right there. And his ballhander for sure too.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what to hear you talk about his defense that way. That's high praise because you appreciate a good defensive guard.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you right now, him and my butler were textbook on how hard and how tenacious you should be on the defensive end. And those two, right there were the two guys that Kentucky cannot live without. As you saw, either one or both had to be on the floor at the same time all the time in order for us to have a chance from a competitive stand and toughness standpoint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, interesting, we're talking to Sean Woods, the unforgettable guard. His jersey hangs in the rafters of rup. We'll come back and talk more basketball with a for a while, talking back chatting with the unforgettable guard, Sean Woods, the head coach of.
Speaker 2: Scott Gunny High School.
Speaker 3: We were talking before the break about Otega Ohway, a couple more questions about the return of the UK guard. Jack Gibbons was on with Tom Leach. I played the comment on my show. I think it was last week when he talked about Sean how valuable the information is of course that these kids get. We always look at Antonio Reeves as a guy who elevated his game thanks to what the the NBA scouts told him and the gms and coaches, and Jack said, man, if I had had that information when I was playing, because Jack was a three at Kentucky, tried to play two in the NBA and was undersize, really needed, he said, to be a point guard, but by the time he got to the league, his handle wasn't good enough because he didn't really know or think that he had to work on that in the college game. He said, if scouts had told me that while I was playing, course back then and back when you were playing, you weren't allowed to get that kind of interaction with the NBA scouts, And you know, I know people get nervous when kids go off and test the NBA waters. But it turns out to be really really valuable.
Speaker 2: Info, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: Oh, no doubt about it. And you know now you know the way things are and how easy it is to transfer. You know when you get that information. Now kids are in their parents and their their their their their their gurus or whatever their agents. They're looking, Okay, this is what this is the information we got from the NBA. This is what they need to see from you. Now you go back to your coach wherever you come from, you'll be like, Okay, this is what the NBA said. This is what he's going to need to show. Are you going to allow him to do that? Putting him in those situations to show that he can do these things? Those conversations happen, you know more so than you think. I mean, that's one of the major conversations. You know, how do I fit in this system? You know, if you're not going to use me this way that the coach that the pros need to see, then I need to go somewhere else where I can show this a part of my game. And that's the reason why you see guys who coming back testa wasn't come back and go to another school like Boogie. Flynn knows that he's not gonna be able to dribble the air out of the ball at Arkansas anymore because when he left from with that injury, Arkansas got better. So Kv's not gonna bring that back. And he's got to be honest with him. You're not gonna dominate the ball as much as you did because that's not what this team needs. So not what did Billie Flynn do? He goes to Florida take steps into the role that the best guard in the NCAA tournament had and he wants to be able to put to do those and have that same type of freedom to do that. So you know, I'm sure Otega is going to be coming back and have those conversations if he hadn't already. But Mark about, Okay, what is my role going to be? You know, this is my you know, I need to do this, this and that in order to enhance my chances of becoming a you know, getting drafted in the first round next year.
Speaker 3: Wants to be the next Walter Clayton.
Speaker 5: That's right, you know what I'm saying. So, you know, a taker's got to come back. And I'm sure they're having those conversations with Pope on what's my role going to be? You know what I'm saying, Are you gonna run more pin downs for me and things like that for me to show these scouts that I can shoot the basketball? Now? Guess what? Now we now Mark has to make a decision. Okay, you are a sub thirty shooter, okay, and you want me to run plays for you and this is not who you really really are, but you're trying to prove to the scouts that this is who you are. So now you know what I'm saying that there's a tug on do you do show what's right for the kid to help him, or do you do what's right and make his role what it needs to be to benefit the team. So those are the things that shoot that that those are the conversations that are that they are having this moment.
Speaker 3: Well, if he does the right work, and again look at Antonio Reeves. You know, it all fill into place for a different kind of player, I know, but it all kind of fell into place for him. Or talking to Sean Woods, the Unforgettable guard, head coach at Scott County high school. And of course we're talking about oh take Always decision. You talked about how Always carried this team, which he really did down the stretch. And he is a veteran now coming back, not just a veteran of UK basketball but college basketball. But you know, he's spent a year in Lexton and he's worked in the Mark Pope system. He knows what it's like to be coached by Mark Pope. You've got brand new players coming in once again, and it's kind of an obvious question, Sean, but how vital is that for Olway to be a leader and to take these guys aside and say, you know, I know this is kind of a new offensive system to you, but here's how we do things here that that's invaluable, isn't it all?
Speaker 5: Without a doubt, You can't. You can't teach experience. You can't. And the more guys you got them and back, the better you are. And that's the reason why you know, the Connecticuts had their run because they had they didn't have that many transfers. That's the reason why Houston is Houston because they don't have that many transfers. So you know, you give me a stable program. Those are the programs are going to be the elite and more consistent because anytime you get seven, eight nine new guys coming from different places, it takes a while for them to jail, you know, on both ends of the court. And you know, now you got to worry about buying in because these these guys are freshmen. They're grown already, so they already got that mindset, you know, how they do things or how they respond, so on and so forth. So it's major. I mean, these coaches have a lot to deal with with this transfer situation because you know, putting a team together every single year, guys coming from this place in that place, it's tough, you know, and and continuity and rhythm and things like that goes a long way, as you know. So that's the thing that the beauty of him coming back is he can set the standard, especially how tough you got to be defensively, Yeah, you know, how you respond and you know, a player led team is a really good team. A coach led team is you know, has a chance, no doubt about it. But a player led team, can you know, is something special.
Speaker 3: This is going to be an interesting mix though. You've got you know, some guys coming back, not many. You've got the brand new faces through the portal. Plus you've got a pretty good freshman class coming in, you know, if you if you believe in the systems, you know, the four star, five star systems, and all Pope's got a pretty good freshman class. It's an interesting blend which could lead to some continuity in a program. And in a time of college basketball, college sports in general, or continuity is almost unheard of. That really makes me curious, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: No doubt about it, you know. And you know, you got freshmen coming in who's new to the system. You got older guys who who they hadn't played this way come into the system, you know. And and the beauty of it is the majority of the country has to deal with the same thing, you know what I mean. So you don't have a monopoly on this situation. And you're not the only one who's going through these trials. So you know, who's ever the better coach who can get their team to to jail, you know, at the right times. You know, that's why early I don't get in a pickle when we beat or lose against you know, the Gonzagas or things like that, and no Valie December, because every team is trying to figure themselves out getting ready for the conference run. You know. Now now you're trying to see how consistent you are once you get into the conference that leads to the tournament. So that's the most important deal right now. You know, the pre conference games or must see TV that that that's made for TV and things like that. But the conference is when you get into the meat potatoes and hopefully your team is jelling at the right time, you know, especially that time when that comes about.
Speaker 3: Hey, just a couple of minutes left. But you're Indiana Pacers. Man, they're looking pretty good now. You know, everybody was excited about the Knicks and Karl Anthony Towns, and why not. They're beating up the Knicks. They're about to win the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 5: A well coached team, a well defensive team, a team that shares the basketball, a team that's full of equal opportunity on offense. They don't depend on just one or two guys. That's the reason why the Indiana Pacers are so dangerous. And then okay, see the same way. I know our guy got MVP, but man, he's got a great supporting cast. These two teams remind me of the Golden State Warriors years ago when Stephanan really had it going. You you had Steph Curry at Klay Thompson, but their role players is what made that team as great as they was. And I think the same thing goes to Indiana Pacers and OKC. Now you got Holliburton, who's the main guy for Indiana, But then you got our guy who's the main guy for for OKC. But man, their teammates are just as good and just as dangerous as any any teams. That both teams are as deep as any team in an NBA. And that's the reason why they're playing as good as they are.
Speaker 3: And they might be the best defensive teams in the NBA. And I know people believe like to believe they don't play defense in the NBA. Of course they do. Good teams do. And these are the best teams.
Speaker 5: Oh there. I mean, the OKC made Minnesota look like a high school, you know, the way they just smothered them defensively, kept them uncomfortable. And then you got the Indiana Paciers, who's making it tough for Brunson. You know the way he just can't dominate the game, you know, so those that's the reason why. And I'll tell you what that's why. And I think that Mark Pope is going to be different this year. You know, he came in wanting to just show how good offensively he was. But now he's got to really put that same type of energy and effort on the other end for him to have an opportunity to move forward with this program.
Speaker 3: He is Sean Woods, the unforgettable Guard. We talked to him each and every week, the head coach of Scott County High Coach. Thanks so much. We'll chat again next week.
Speaker 5: Looking forward to a day up next.
Speaker 3: West End Bureau Chief Gary Moore here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Moon Sider. As I've mentioned a couple of times, we had the best of the Big Moon Sider last night. Because of jury duty for yours, truly happy to serve if chosen. Course, that means we have to slide our Wednesday guess to Thursday. Including west End Bureau Chief Gary Moore, he is on with us.
Speaker 2: He is guy. He's a guy with a lot on his mind.
Speaker 13: Two guys in a six pack and I did dury duty a couple of years ago here in Louisville, send.
Speaker 2: Some guys to the chair.
Speaker 13: Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to him. I'm just kidding anything for a caddy shack, you know.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 13: All right, here we go, first swig in the six pack. We got six of them here, Dick, It's official.
Speaker 2: We got proof.
Speaker 3: Kentucky is a baseball state.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 13: For any doubters or haters. All these games are tomorrow high noon, Clemson Regional UK against your dad's alma mater, West Virginia's Right two pm, Nashville Louisville and East Tennessee State four pm. And Oxford my WKU Toppers and Georgia Tech. And then at eight in the evening down in Oxford, my hometown Murray State Racers. An old mess and what we had hoped for. We've been talking about this during the spring. Here on two guys in six pack happened. The four best D one teams in the state now all have a shot the College World Series.
Speaker 2: Hallelujah.
Speaker 13: First of all, UK, and don't call me a homer here, although I love the Simpsons, but I like UK's chances in this regional Dick. I have to be honest, I'm not impressed with West Virginia's wins.
Speaker 2: Cats played a much tougher schedule.
Speaker 13: In fact, you know, West Virginia didn't play a ranked team until the very last weekend of the season and they lost all three twenty three to Kansas.
Speaker 2: That's right, you know about UK stuff schedule.
Speaker 13: But I got to ask you, are the Cats healthy? We know they rested. If they play like they played in Knoxville, I like their chances. If they played like they played at Vandy, not so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although I broke it down and like for twenty to twenty seven or twenty eight innings, they were ahead.
Speaker 2: Of Vandy right all those games.
Speaker 3: So if they play like they played in the early portions of those games, yeah, But you're right, Tennessee. They played with a swagger with confidence from the very first pitch of the very first game. And the answer to your first question, no, they're not healthy, but it's been something they've been dealing with, so they've had a chance to adjust and they move guys around. Players have taken the opportunity to accel well when they get in there. So no, you'd love to have the pitchers, the position players they're missing, but the guys who have had the opportunity to play now have experience, have innings behind them.
Speaker 2: So that's going to be big as any team one hundred percent healthy. Yeah, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 3: By the way, Western Kentucky that's a tough draw. Georgia Tech playing on emotion, their coaches going out, Hall of Fame guy, great coach, and Murray State's playing an Ole Miss team that's really playing well now, swept Kentucky earlier in the year. Great coach, great great program. But we root for all Kentucky teams, and.
Speaker 13: Like Nick said, UK's by what nine plays away from winning the whole conference again?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Crazy, our second swig here, good news, bad news deal for Louisville, the good news being, of course, just a three hour drive from here to Nashville for Cards fans. Bad obviously, they're in the same regional with not only the champs of the best baseball conference, but the overall number one.
Speaker 2: Seed and the Vandy Boys.
Speaker 13: Mistake here for U of L would be the look past these Buccaneers. East Tennessee State has a team batting average of three thirteen. That's eighteenth in the nation. Louisville's thirty third in the nation. We've talked about them batting all season, but there they are below ETSU three h six East Tennessee's twenty ninth in the country team ERA of four point four to four Louisville who boy one hundred and twenty second in the nation with a five point seven to two ERA, and East Tennessee is also a better fielding team as well. Maybe losing the Bellerman in the regular season, then the pit and the acc were wake up calls for Dan McDonald's boys. They know they can beat Vandy, but you think this could be a trap game before any rematches with the Doors that they're looking ahead to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any first round game in the NCAA is because East Tennessee, you know, is not going to be cuted when it's pitching. They're going to come at Louisville with everything they can and try to just win and survive, win and move on. You're right about the pitching ul and I kind of throw out the first Kentucky game because for both teams it was played in just frigid conditions. But when Kentucky blew out the Cardinals in Lexington, I was stunned at how weak Louisville's pitching was. I know, you don't get the weekend guys. Obviously in the midweek games, but generally the bullpen has been a real strength for Dann McDonald's teams through the years, and it has not been this year. So that would concern me more than anything. As for Vandy, think about this, Kentucky could have won won two or all three games.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. What if that had happened?
Speaker 3: Any combination let's say, two or three wins by the Wildcats this weekend would have completely changed the picture at the top of the nca tournament. Vandy probably would not have been the overall number one seed, still would have hosted, but we look a little differently at Mandy. So that's just college baseball.
Speaker 2: I got another good would have could have?
Speaker 13: Should it here in a second, But first their third swig talking about Mi alma Mater WKU winning their first ever Conference USA title. To review, they had not one, not two, but three walk off wins in the tournament. So the heart attack Hilltoppers, like you said, tough opener and Oxford with really they were the number one seed Georgia Tech in the ACC tournament. The Hilltoppers have been at the top of the pitching stats all season. We've talked about that, albeit against not the toughest schedule compared to the teams from the other Big Four conferences, but still the Toppers are now third in the nation three point three five ERA, Georgia Tech thirteenth in the nation. They're batting at a three to fifteen batting average. Oh but so is Western three to fifteen average and seventeen more hits in Georgia Tech. If the Tops can get past the Ramblin wreck, I think they're more than capable of doing more damage that having to have beaten Dallas Baptists two out of three in Dallas, and they beat UK there down in Bowling Green. Actually, whatever happens, it's been a hell of a season. But I hope it continues for the Toppers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and let's not overlook that Dallas Baptist series. And you know, I remember when I lived down there, I would drive past their campus and I'm like, oh, yeah, Dallas Baptist. Well, now nobody's saying that about their baseball program, not at all. They've got a really, really good one. And that Western Kentucky went over Uk again, another game where Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Led and let it get away.
Speaker 3: Western Kentucky played with so much confidence and so much swagger in that game, I thought, and you know, having a game in Bowling Green. It was in a drizzle, so it's not like the crowd was lifting it right, but they just I just was really impressed with Al. The topper just kept coming at him and shut him down.
Speaker 2: Fourth swig here in the six pack he talked about this.
Speaker 13: You know, we've got Western's former OVC partner and arch rivals still kind of sort of Murray State Missoo Valley Conference champions. Murray not only beat Western there in Murray, but they also beat like you said, uk at Uk and they had a would have, could have, should have win against these same Old Miss Rebels back in March when they had the lead, they lost a ninth inning lead they were leading seven to five, ended up losing eight to seven and extras to the then number seventeen team the Rebels were at that time. So tomorrow night the Racers demand revenge, I'll get their chances. Murray's forty fifth in batting Old Miss is one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and thirty fourth.
Speaker 13: Old Miss is thirty first in ERA with four point four to seven. Murray's thirty ninth right behind him at four point sixty three. Murray's better defensively forty three errors to the Rebels sixty and the Racers fielding percentage is a lot better as well. And of course both Murray and Western have had better on base percentages than either Georgia Tech or Old Miss. Is it possible, I ask you, did Gabriel Murray and Western playing for a super regional?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean it all comes down to pitching, you know, as it did when Kentucky played Old Miss and lost two out of three here in Lexingon. Won the first game in ten, lost the next game three to one, lost the next game five, four and twelve. But as you know, in these tournaments, it comes down to the arms and if they can cobble together enough pitching. And yeah, I think both teams have enough offense. I've seen both teams play. It could happen. But and again, going back to Vandy, a team that gave up what eighteen to twenty runs to Kentucky in the entire SEC tournament, Geary gave up three runs total of three. So postseason comes down to pitching. You can get that from the top, from the Toppers and the Thoroughbreds. I'm sorry that used to be their baseball name, the Racers. I always thought that was really interesting. It was there were the Racers and everything but baseball.
Speaker 13: Johnny Reagan, Yeah, a long time baseball. I said, Now we're going to be the Breads.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, No, entirely possible, and I hope it happens fitth swig.
Speaker 13: Let's go to college football. Yesterday, in The Athletic College Football, reporter Jason Kirk wrote, quote, leave the postseason alone for once, Pick something, anything and stick with it. Unquote come you get an amen on that? Kirk reminds us about all the crazy configurations we've had. Remember the Bowl Coalition, the Bowl Alliance, BA Final Four Football Playoff, and finally last year's twelve team CFP, which this year is going to go to straight seeding, top four teams getting the top four seeds even if they're all from the same conference, which should have happened last year. And of course you got SEC Guru Sanke's down there angling for fourteen, maybe sixteen teams.
Speaker 2: Why a couple of reasons. I see one.
Speaker 13: It means ESPN or whoever would pay more money theoretically for potentially more SEC teams. Another reason, bunch of fat rich alumni high rollers from the schools that didn't make the top twelve were so incensed that SMU and Indiana did. They can't handle being so butt hurt. Again, egos can't handle it. So I ask you, we're gonna get to the fourteen pretty soon or sixteen, why not top twenty five? You know what, why not let's do sixty four like March Madness. Just open the whole thing up if somebody's gonna pay for it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The other day I talked about the fact that Greg sankei doing his job as the SEC Commissioner, which means he's front and center and it comes to a shilling for his ball clubs, which he should. Sure was out there banging the drum about the fact that two teams that beat Georgia didn't get in over two teams that were more concernive not losing. Well, duh, Yeah, SMU Indiana had better records, but you know what, maybe those teams did beat Georgia but then lost. Ole Miss was one of those teams that beat Georgia lost to Kentucky, Kentucky's only SEC win. Alabama turns around loses to Vandy. Hey good for Vandy, great season, but you can't crow about beating Georgia when you're not taking care of the other wins. That said, yeah, they were screaming last year about the seting, but it was seating procedures. Everybody agreed to going into the tournament and nobody saw this coming come on. So yeah, they're making the right move, and yes, they will go to as many teams as they can get in. And as all always, the answer to your question is money ESPN the splits for the teams, all the teams, but especially the SEC because that equals eyeballs.
Speaker 13: May have remind Commissioner Sanke that Indiana did beat Michigan, and Michigan seems to have beaten a team in Columbus that went on to win the national championship. As I recall YEP sixth and final, swig Dick, who knew that this week you could be the proud owner of artist Gillimore shorts from the Colonel's days. The Hall of Fame Center obviously a big reason that the seventy four to seventy five World champion Kentucky Colonels the ABA not only one at all, and later beat the NBA champions Warriors that year. Also why they're one of the greatest pro basketball teams ever in the history of ever.
Speaker 2: My all time favorite pro hoops team.
Speaker 13: Well, Gray Flannel Auctions taking bids right now as we have speaks until Sunday and all things A trained from his ultra rare nineteen seventy five championship ring to autograph basketball's jerseys and even size eighteen shoes and yes, his Kentucky Colonel's red, white and blue basketball uniform shorts with the current bid of five hundred and fifty dollars ate that America Gray Flannel Auctions dot com is where you want to go to look at this stuff.
Speaker 3: I certainly hope that this auction isn't happening because Gilmore has fallen on hard times. I would doubt that. But it's been fifty years and a lot of guys, you know, in his position to say I don't need this anymore, right, But what a gentleman, what a I've had a chance to meet him, And when you talk to Dan Essel, who I do know fairly well, he cannot say enough nice things about artist Gilmore. Hard to believe it was fifty years ago that they won that championship. And by the way, when it comes to the stuff, my little brother many years ago said, you know, I wonder what happened to all the stuff, all the gear for the colonels. I found out some years later what happened to it. The trainer, Lloyd Gardner. Yeah, Gardener scooped it all up up. It was in his garage forever until he started selling it off. Louis Dampier once said he was at an autograph convention in Indianapolis ended up autographing his own pants.
Speaker 2: It's at the Fraser Museum over here in Louisville.
Speaker 13: They've got a big Colonel's fiftieth anniversary exhibit going on with a lot of stuff that Pink still has and donated it. If you want to see the size disparagy, go to nine to five to five Gary on X. I've got a picture of me with artists from a couple of years ago when he was here for the Bellerman game. And you'll see why I could have never posted him up.
Speaker 3: If you get confused, artist is a guy with all the hair he is Gary Moris, our Western Bureau chief, will come back with hot reads in just a minute around six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Blue Insider. We were chatting with our Western Bureau chief, Gary Moore. Terry Bradshaw has decided to become vocal when it comes to his Steelers and he can lay claim to them and the quarterback mess they've got going on with regard to Aaron Rodgers, the fact that the Steelers are going after him forty one years old. He told a radio station in Arkansas, Bradshaw said, I'm quoting.
Speaker 2: That's a joke. To me, It's just a joke. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Bring him in for a year? Are you kidding me? That guy needs to stay in California, go somewhere and chew on bark and whisper to the gods out there.
Speaker 2: Garry. That's a Hall of Fame quote, isn't it.
Speaker 13: I love Terry Bradshaw and I'm not even a Steelers fan, never will be. Terry Bradshaw can say whatever he wants, not only about any quarterback, but especially any Steelers quarterback. This is a guy who won four Super Bowls in six years with the Steelers, called his own plays.
Speaker 2: Yep, in all of those they didn't.
Speaker 13: You know who the offensive coordinator was for the Steelers, Terry Bradshaw, he called, well, you know he's and he always says, look, I called some of the plays. A lot of the guys would come in and say, Franco would say, hey, let me run this off tackle play at stalwarts would come in and say, can beat this guy or whatever it was. It was a very democratic kind of a thing. But Terry called his I think he was the last quarterback to do that. As soon as he retired, a guy by the name of Tom Moore became the offensive coordinator for the Steelers, and ever since then they've had an OC, but they had no offensive court. They had the offensive line coach and running backs coach and receivers coach.
Speaker 2: No oc.
Speaker 3: Well, he also had Chuck Noll as the head coach.
Speaker 2: He trusted him. Uh heah.
Speaker 3: Brashaw also banged on the Steelers for giving up too quickly on Kenny Pickett. You know, when he pointed out Riley, they put him behind a terrible offensive line, right. He pointed many teams who have done the same thing, including the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 2: Titans. I was just going to say, yeah, and Will.
Speaker 3: Levis our second hot read. Caitlin Clark is injured Indiana Fever. Ticket prices are plumbing on the secondary market, and some of the people who cover women's basketball are amazed, AGAs, they're alarmed. But what that's business? I mean, Nick's Pacers tick. It's on May twenty second, for Game five of the playoffs. We're going for eight hundred and sixty bucks on the secondary market including fees. Now, because the Pacers have beaten the crap out of the neck so far, those same tickets are almost half priced, four hundred and forty seven dollars including fees. That's the business of pro basketball. And it's fine that the WNBA is learning that now it's it's married to one player. But it's only it's going to get better for the WNBA because as we all talk about, you know that rising tide, raise and everybody, But you can't be that upset or surprise, can you.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 13: She's the Taylor Swift of the whole league.
Speaker 2: This is a good indication.
Speaker 13: I think what was it seventy one percent, There's been a seventy one percent decline in the ticket sales or prices of the tickets since she's been injured, and not just in Indiana but at the other locations, or she's gonna be playing in some of the other arenas.
Speaker 2: Why would you go?
Speaker 13: I mean, it's it's back to where it was before she got into all of this, pretty.
Speaker 2: Much, isn't it. I mean, this is kind of how it was pre Caitlin Clark.
Speaker 13: It shouldn't be that big of a surprise, but this is a wake up call to show you what you've got in Caitlyn Clark.
Speaker 3: And I know that these women are scholars of the game just like the men are, and some of them need to be reminded of what the NBA looked like.
Speaker 2: And maybe they don't even realize.
Speaker 3: Before Magic and Larry Bird basically saved the league and they don't like to talk about it that way, but they did. Charles Barkley talks about that on his podcast all the time. They need to look at Angel Reese and Caitlyn Clark, you know, remove the evil, the villainy of any of it, and look at how the league is prospering because of this goes back in front of them, isn't it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, We'll go back and look at what Chicago dealt with when Michael Jordan left. How are those season tickets and how were those tickets sales?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, dropped well.
Speaker 3: And again it's you know, it's the Guido Sarducci five minute university Supply and demand. That's all you need to know.
Speaker 2: Nobody exactly right.
Speaker 3: I took econ one oh one. I went every day to class. I only needed to go once. Supply and demand. And that's what we're learning now. He is Gary Moore, he is our west End bureau.
Speaker 2: She find him on Twitter or x where.
Speaker 13: At nine to five five Gary, the same fabulous joint you're at.
Speaker 3: That's right, I'm at Big Moonsider one. Thank you sir, and enjoy the baseball this weekend. Go Commonwealth teams. And that'll do it for now, thanks to my guests scaring more Aaron Gershan and Shawn Woods. Remember UK baseball tomorrow at noon. That said good night from the garage in Lexington.
Speaker 6: That's a joke, son, a flying waiver. You're built too low. A fast ones go over your head. You got a hole in your glove. I keep picking him and you keep missing them. You gotta keep your eye on the ball.
Speaker 12: The tact taking the ship, anything, canning the batte to take that, I think dot.
Speaker 2: To tip
Speaker 12: And it don't, then don't do