Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 4: It's five oh one.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Thursday, January twenty third. Good morning, I'm Amy King. But we're waking up to another fire. Actually two. The good news is it looks like firefighters are really making some great progress. Although I got to tell you, I was watching the fire last night, the one in Castaic, the Hughes fire, and they're telling us and we've, you know, we've got some lines around it, and we're the fire's looking really good, and I'm looking and seeing these massive flames and it looks like topping the hillsides and they look towering, I mean, and it looks a lot like what we were seeing with the fire in Pacific Palisades and in Alta Dina. And they're saying things look great. I was like, well, they must be. They must be great from your vantage point. But it does look like they really were, because the fire hasn't really grown much overnight, and they even released the water dropping helicopters, so they're not currently flying, or they were flying, and the planes are dropping the fazchek or the fire retardant, so man, they attack this one.
Speaker 4: And that's great news.
Speaker 1: As you get up and ready, we've got all the information for you about the two new fires and the ones that are getting closer and closer to containments.
Speaker 4: So keep it right here on wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: Plus, we've got a lot of other stuff going on today, and I want to say thanks to Valentine from MYFM, who's.
Speaker 4: Been great giving information.
Speaker 1: You know, he's been on MYFM for I think eighteen years now. He's been on our ear twice in the last week. I'm thinking he's got the KFI bug. It is a lot of fun. Here's what's ahead on Wake Up Called. Firefighters have been working through the night to keep the fire in Castaic from growing. It's burned about ten two hundred acres. It's fourteen percent surrounded.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Thirty one thousand people remain under evacuation orders and another twenty three thousand are under evacuation warnings. Four thousand firefighters are working the fire on the ground and until just recently, from the air as well.
Speaker 4: A fire that.
Speaker 1: Broke out in the Sepulvita Pass has been stopped. It grew to forty acres along the four or five freeway before firefighters stopped forward progress. Evacuation orders issued in the area and warnings issued in the area have been lifted. We are also on Oscar Watch this morning. Rachel Senne and Bow and Yang will be announcing the nominees in twenty three categories starting at five thirty at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills. The ninety seventh Academy Awards ceremony is happening March second, of course, at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. We'll let you know who's nominated for what they're being announced this morning. During wake Up Call the Business of Burglaries, ABC's Crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett says it is booming.
Speaker 4: We're going to talk to him at five twenty and.
Speaker 1: If you need a break from the fires, we have found the perfect place you can go and for first responders and those affected by the wildfires, a very special offer for you. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KMFI twenty four hour newsroom. More than fifty thousand people under evacuation orders or warnings because of that fire that started near Lake Hughes in Castaic. It's burned more than ten thousand acres. Cal Fire says it was reported shortly before eleven yesterday in a remote area east of the Lake.
Speaker 4: La Kenny.
Speaker 1: Sheriff Luna said yesterday that part of the jail in Castaic also had to be evacuated, and discussing this.
Speaker 5: With our partners from the fire department who are experts in this area, they recommended we agreed that the one facility PD Soeuth would be evacuated that had approximately four hundred and seventy six inmates.
Speaker 1: He says they were moved to another part of the campus. Sheriff Lona said thousands of other inmates at two other jails in the evacuation zone were sheltering in place. Firefighters have stopped the fire in the Supulvida Base in the burned forty acres in Brentwood, evacuation warnings were issued last night, but they've been lifted. The fire was reported around eleven pm near the northbound four or five in the Supulvida Pass. CalFire says the wind was light and fire crews were able to fight the flames from the ground and from the air.
Speaker 4: Let's say good morning.
Speaker 1: To ABC's Stephen portnoy So, Stephen, the Lake and Riley Act has passed both the House and the Senate.
Speaker 4: Now tell us what it is and what's next.
Speaker 6: Well, it's named for the young Georgia nursing student who was killed last February. Lake and Riley authorities have charged a Venezuelan man who was previously arrested for minor crimes in New York and Georgia and released from both jurisdictions prior to the killing. The measure requires the federal detention of immigrants here illegally if they've been arrested for certain low level crimes such as shoplifting and larceny, in addition to more serious offenses. Now the question becomes, how do you carry.
Speaker 4: That ball forward?
Speaker 6: This bill has now passed the Senate and the last night the House, it's going to be signed into the law by Donald Trump as the first bill enacted by the new president. The complication becomes, you know, this is a pretty big ask of immigration and Customs enforcement, which would be charged with detaining these migrants who are charged with crimes because this suspicions. The expectation is that they will be turned over to federal authorities. ICE prior to the turnover, and administrations warned that this mandate would cost taxpayers twenty seven billion dollars in the.
Speaker 4: First year alone.
Speaker 6: So how it will be funded, how will they build these detention facilities? That is a question for another day, because there's no money attached to the Lincoln Riley Act. But forty six Democrats got on board with it in the House along with Republicans, as an emblem of how Democrats view the politics of this issue.
Speaker 1: Okay, And what you know, everything's so divided and to get forty six votes is kind of a it's a decent number.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, for a bill that touches on immigration and as seen as a crackdown. It's a big deal. So you had you know, it's bipartisan.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: And then let's move on to the January sixth pardons. Some of the judges involved in convicting the j six rioters are now speaking out.
Speaker 6: What are they saying, Well, look, they're speaking out through their filings, through the orders. I should say, the judges want something of the last word for history. Here, the absolute word is that they defendants, the convicts have been pardoned, and except in the cases of fourteen people who have their sentences commuted, what the judges are doing in this case is they are in their orders dismissing the cases, layering them with a pretty harsh rhetoric. For example, Judge Tanya Chutkin of recent fame writes in one dismissal order that no pardon can change the tragic truth, nor can it quote whitewash the blood, feces and terror that the mob left in its wake. One of her colleagues on the Federal court bench here in Washington, Beryl Howell, said no process of national reconciliation can begin when poor losers whose preferred candidate loses an election are glorified.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they're obviously not happy about this all happening. President Trump did sort of defend his position on this. Do you know what he's been saying about it.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, what he says is that these individuals. First of all, he doesn't seem to have a full grasp of all of the people he pardoned. He has been asked about why he would grant partons to some of the people who are most violent against police, and he didn't seem to have all the full facts, But what he says is that these people have been in jail long enough and it's time for everyone in the country to move on. That murderers are not treated as poorly. That's his argument, Okay.
Speaker 1: And there was talk that they were going to look at the cases, because there's fifteen hundred, that they would look at him sort of case by case, because it's obviously that some people were not as involved, didn't do the same kind of damage as others. But that obviously didn't happen. Do we know why it was just a blanket pardon nope? Okay, Stephen Portnoy, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: As always, we appreciate the information.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's now check in with National Weather Service meteorologist Aril Cohen. Let's get a check on what's going to happen with the weather. We know it's been blustery. Are we still expecting those winds to continue?
Speaker 3: Ariel exactly. We have wind gusts now over seventy miles per hour over the western San Gabriel Mountains. A lot of other mountain spots are in the fifty to sixty mile an hour range across Los Angeles and Ventura Counties where we have bone dry conditions, single digit relative humidity values combining with these strong winds to create very favorable environment for fires to be spreading. We have the huge fire ongoing right now. The suppul of the fire occurred overnight, and so as we go through the daytime hours today Thursday and into Friday morning, we could be looking at the continued risk for any wildfires to grow rapidly and explosively across the area. Very dramatic switch with the weather this weekend as a cold storm system overtakes the area, bringing much needed precipitation to many places, although a couple spots, especially on scars, if they get a couple thunderstorms top up over their areas, could experience debrief flows.
Speaker 1: Okay, and is there what's the chance of the thunderstorms, because we know that we've talked about rain, but it's not supposed to be really heavy except in the event of a thunderstorm, right, so.
Speaker 3: Most places will be a beneficial rain on the order of say a half inch to an inch. However, there will be the potential for a few spots we're talking about a ten to twenty percent chance for thunderstorm activity to form. Even some of the locally heavy showers we experience over the weekend will have the potential to produce high enough rainfall rates that we could be looking at a localized burned scar flooding, debrisflow, rockslide, mudslide situation. It's a very low chance of that happening. The heaviest cell would have to go over one of those very primed regions from the fire activity. But it's not a situation that's impossible. And so those that need extra time you might want to start preparing for what you would do and how you would get emergency information in case we were to have those impacts, and we may not have a whole lot of confidence in that particular outcome occurring at any location until right before it happens.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the thunderstorm characteristics Ariel, like you're talking, we're talking about showers, then we talk about those cells of thunderstorms in there.
Speaker 4: What makes them unique to regular rainfall.
Speaker 3: Well, this overall system, because it's a colder system, is also going to be containing more showery activity. We're not going to be having a steady light rain per se, the overall totals won't be particularly significant, but it's going to come more in impulses on and off. It's going to be something that's not necessarily going to be steady, as I said earlier, And so you know, when we have a couple of the more intense showers set up, can't rule out a couple of lightning strikes, and that character of the precipitation would be what would be most likely to produce flooding concerns and debris flows if it sets up over the burn scars. Also, snow levels are going to be very low for the system. Certainly some of the lowest we've seen this winter so far, as those two thousand feet, which could bring several inches of snow, maybe even upwards of our foot in the San Gabriels as we head through the weekend to early next week, and is.
Speaker 1: Where the fire is burning in Castaic. Is that high enough an elevation to get snow.
Speaker 3: Or No, It'll be a mix, certainly the portions of the fire that are attecting those Some of the lower elevations may be more on the lines of a cold rain, but certainly the higher elevations will be susceptible to snow.
Speaker 4: Okay, so be ready just in case.
Speaker 1: But we're going to keep our fingers crossed that we get those light showers and it's not going to affect the burn scars. But as you said, we need to be ready because, as we have found out in the last couple of weeks, the weather can be very volatile in southern California exactly.
Speaker 3: And the additional work that you take now to be prepared will help you from prevent you from being caught off guard when the potentially destructive weather comes. Even it's a low chance, you got to be ready ahead of time.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Ariol Cohen with the National Weather Service, thank you so much for your information this morning.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Stacee.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Red flag warnings for Mostavelli and Ventura Counties have been extended until ten tomorrow morning because of the Santa Ana wins. Bone dry conditions and low humidity. Winds are expected to gust up to fifty miles per hour today but should start dying down this evening. Governor Newsom sending specialized debris flow teams to southern California ahead of expected rain this weekend. Teams and specialized equipment are being prepositioned to help protect communities and natural resources in the burn areas of Pacific Palisades and Alta. Dina and two men have pleaded guilty to charges that they stole about three hundred thousand dollars worth of shoes off a train in the Mohave Desert. Men took the shoes into Anaheim after stealing them back in November. They were sentenced to just four months in jail. Police were able to find the guys because Nike had placed a GPS tracker on boxes of shoes at six so five its handle on the news, California may have a problem getting money for wildfire relief. That problem, President Trump. Let's say good morning now to ABC's crime and Terrorism analyst Brad Garrett.
Speaker 4: So, Brad, most people travel to see the world, but more and more we're seeing people who travel to the US to.
Speaker 7: Rob us commonly referred to as burglary tourists.
Speaker 4: It's scary that it has a name.
Speaker 7: I'm with you on that, and I think there's a reason for that. Amy if you look at well, let's go to the most recent one that's been in the news, and it's the burglary of the home of the Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow. Sometime after that burglary, the Ohio Highway Patrol stop the car for suspicious reasons found four people from the country of Chile inside had fake id's, apparently had items in the car that apparently came from or may have come from Burrough's house. And you know, it sets up the following scenario when you look at other cases around the country where groups of people from Chile from other places in South America come here, and in particular, if the country a life, Chili have a thing called the Visa Waiver program, which means they can come to the US without a visa. Now, you know, you and I can travel to Europe and we don't need a visa. However, there are a lot of safeguards of our names, social security numbers, etc. Go through computers, go through all sorts of security checks. The problem is, I don't think Chili does any of those, and so people show up here. Now granted that they have some record here or there's something in the system, but I think most of these people don't. So they come to the US, they use fake IDs. Once they get here, and they end up burglarizing basically what I would call the rich and the famous. Some we talk about, some we don't. And what they do is they burglarize the homes they have, you know this ninety day tourist visa. They steal things that they can liquidate turn to cash. They use a fake FastPort and go to a local bank, let's say in Los Angeles, convert or basically take the money that they've gotten from the stolen goods and send it back to their home country and then go home. And apparently there is a constant stream of these people from various places. It's not just Chili to come in and do this. And I think if you talk to your friends to the LAPD, I think they would tell you that obviously there's a lot of houses that are burglarized in the Los Angeles area every night, but that did some of those burglaries fall into the profile of what I just described.
Speaker 1: And haven't there It's gotten so bad in LA they've set up a special task force.
Speaker 7: Right, and I think they've got border and Customers protection people, which you would need to help track people as they come in. Uh, I mean, And of course I think the real problem to me is that in I think LAPD would tell you this that if you don't catch them quickly, it makes it difficult because what's their real name? You know, where are they? Did they you know, did they come in or they have Los Angeles for a period of time then they left? Uh, And so it becomes a brill dilemma. And I think that's why you need every aspect of the federal government, in particular customers, border protection, ICE, et cetera, to help you track people.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have a question for you, Brad.
Speaker 1: Do we know, we know these are groups of people, but are they just random bad actors or are they tied to gangs or cartels or how are they?
Speaker 4: Who are they?
Speaker 7: Okay? So I think it's a combination because I've been asked a number of times because they end up talking about these high profile burglaries. It seems like quickly that I don't see any indicators that there's like a you know, a national overview in other words, like is there a gang that's controlling all this? Are there gangs involved? I'm sure there are. I mean, I think there's one group of burglaries that they have linked to Venezuelan gangs. So I think it's a combination, but it's hard for me to believe. Amy. If you are a you know, somebody from Merle Chili, you figure out how you can do this and you end up in Los Angeles, how would you even know where to go? And so there's God to be the intermediaries, that is what I'm saying that guide you along the way. They'd get a percent and get a cut of whatever you steal. And they even give you some intel of like oh yeah, that's football player. That basketball player will be gone the next two days because they're in you know, Cincinnati playing a game, and that there won't be anybody or at least that person won't be in their homes. And if you look at these break in they're not sophisticated. I mean they smash out windows, smash out doors, they do. Some of them carry Wi Fi jammers because if you have a wireless system on your house, if they cam the signals just like jam and the cell phones around certain buildings here where I live in DC, where your phone won't work because they don't want to frequency being shot around that particular location. But they take those are inexpensive. You can buy those on Amazon, and so you jam the signal if you know, that may affect the ability of your security system to contact their their security company. It may also affect the ability of your cameras to work, if in fact they're wireless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which makes it harder to defend yourself. And it's crazy that this thing has gotten so out of control. Hopefully the task force will be able to figure some stuff out and make some inroads. Brad Garrett, thank you so much. Appreciate the information. Who knew it was this bad?
Speaker 3: You welcome? Thank you right.
Speaker 4: Take care.
Speaker 1: The fire that's burned more than twenty three thousand acres in the Pacific Palisades area is now seventy percent surrounded. Some areas have been reopened to residents only, but dozens of neighborhoods are still under mandatory evacuation orders. The fire has destroyed thousands of homes and other buildings since it started on January seventh. At least eleven have been killed. The fourteen thousand acre fire that started in Eaton Canyon above Alta Dina is ninety five percent surrounded. More than eighteen hundred firefighters are working on it. Evacuation orders have been lifted, but nearly six hundred people remain in shelters. The fires destroyed more than nine thousand homes and other buildings and killed at least seventeen people. The fire in Pacific Palisades has cost the city of an out of la and estimated three hundred eighty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: City employees overtime was twenty four million dollars of that initial estimate. The rest is damaged to city owned property and infrastructure. City administrator Matt Zabo says the lot of it may be reimbursed.
Speaker 8: It is our tasks to identify funds that we may ask this council to transfer on a short term basis.
Speaker 2: The city lost twelve parks and two rec centers at a cost of one hundred fifty five million dollars, while the loss of the Palisades Library was estimated at fifty five million dollars. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's too early. Did you hear that?
Speaker 1: I said three hundred eighty five thousand. It was three hundred eighty five million. I'll just say that I was seeing if you were paying attention to wake up call this morning. Firefighters on the ground and from the air have continued to fight the fire, burning and castic that started around ten thirty yesterday morning and within hours grew to more than ten thousand acres. Fire retardant lines are drawn around the wind whipped fire. The five through the Grapevine was closed for a few hours yesterday but has reopened. Firefighters have doug lines around the Palisades fire more and more as more evacuation orders are lifting. The fire seventy percent surrounded. Firefighters are working to stop any flare ups as Santa Ana wins blows through the region. Red flag warning has been extended until tomorrow morning. President Trump has instructed his secretaries of Commerce and Interior to come up with a plan to get more water to southern California. He says he wants the plan that will, as he put it, put people over fish on his desk in three months. The move challenges updated regulations from the Biden administration and Governor Newsom. At six oh five, it is handle.
Speaker 4: On the news.
Speaker 1: President bab of Trump wants Greenland, which has prompted a Danish politician to drop the F bomb. Okay, we're doing a special out and about today going to the cat Cafe Lounge in West LA. Normally, this is a place that you go and you have coffee and you can hang out and play with cats. But during this time, with the wildfires affecting so many, that is so stressful for so many, it could be a bit of a break or a respite and a safe haven for you. So we caught up with Athenis Stamos to find out what Cat Cafe Lounge is doing to help the people affected by the fires.
Speaker 9: Sure. Well, so we're a nonprofit cat cafe and unfortunately not a shelter, so we're not able to help people house animals right now, and so.
Speaker 4: We're like, what can we do? Yep?
Speaker 9: And I think people really need a little calm right now, and so we are offering free thirty or seventy minute visits to anyone who was had to evacuate from the fires, lost their homes first responders. They can go to the website and use the code of per relief that's pure our relief to book the or visit. And you know, cats are so calming and they really bring you to the present moment. Yeah, and so we're really hoping that being able to come here to a safe space and just kind of get away from the noise and the news, which can be so overwhelming. Just take a pause, take a pause, and you know, sit with these cats and be in the present moment. They're purrs, are very relaxing and spending time with cats, you know, release the serotonin.
Speaker 4: And look at Thomas, he's so happy.
Speaker 1: You know, this is so I think this is great because, like you said, this time is so stressful, so many people are affected. And even if you just get to escape for a little while, if you've been affected by the wildfires, check out this kiddie.
Speaker 4: If you've been affected by the.
Speaker 1: Wildfires, you can come down and sit and have a coffee and relax and play with kiddies and you just never know, you might end up taking one home. Because the these cats are all up for adoption. They are all up for adoption.
Speaker 9: We work this guy's a little Feistysams, Thomas, He's very feisty all. So we work with a rescue partner, kitt and Rescue La Okay, And so all the cats here are rescues either from the street shelters, and they kit and Rescue helps us with the health of the colony. So all adoptions are through them.
Speaker 1: So I want to take a look around a little bit because you said that they're out. They're not in cages, which is so great, so you kind of get to see their personalities.
Speaker 4: How they would normally react.
Speaker 1: If you look around here, there are little climbing places. There's a cat freeway along to the ceiling.
Speaker 4: And then also if you come out here, what do we have out here?
Speaker 9: So as we walk through the cafe, we have a kitten lounge to our rights, and then we have our CaTiO. And this did help us during the pandemic. It was built during that so.
Speaker 4: And it was such a good, great idea that you said, let's just keep it open.
Speaker 9: The cats really love it. You know a lot of times shire cats in shelter environments just don't thrive, and you know, unfortunately that can mean you being euthanized. Yeah, and so you know, this really can help shire cats who kind of need to realize that humans are safe and everything's okay?
Speaker 4: Is that still Thomas is still Thomas?
Speaker 10: He loves following you around.
Speaker 4: I'm going to miss this guy, okay. And he just got adopted.
Speaker 1: And since you guys opened in what eighteen eighteen eighteen, how many cats have been adopted.
Speaker 9: Approximately one two hundred and thirteen something like that.
Speaker 4: I love that. I love that. And how many cats are here.
Speaker 1: At any given time thirty five plus.
Speaker 4: Okay, so there's lots of room for them to run.
Speaker 1: As you can see, they're running and jumping and playing, which is just what cats should do. And I if you're a cat liver, I mean like this is a little slice of heaven for me because it's just so fun to see them just hanging out Athena. Again, tell us how people come and take advance this And if you're not a first responder or somebody affected by the fires, you can still come down and do this.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah absolutely, I mean, you know, anyone can come and get cat therapy. When we are a nonprofit, any donation for entry really helps us out. Worder mouth is so important to us. People can volunteer if they like. There's other ways to get involved.
Speaker 1: And what's the website to go if you want to make a reservation.
Speaker 9: Sure, it's just a catcafe lounge dot com Cat Cafe Lounge. If you need to get away chill out for a little bit, you're a first responder or affected by the fires, you get to do it free for right now, and.
Speaker 4: Is that through to January? When is that?
Speaker 9: We're running that as long as possible.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, we.
Speaker 9: Definitely have had a chunk of people using so far, but it's going to be just as long as we can sustain that since we also need to stay open and function perfect.
Speaker 10: And of course, even if you're not a first responder or affected by the fires, what a fun way to come and spend an afternoon at Cat Cafe Lounge and to set up an appointment time make a reservation. Again, it's cat Cafe Lounge dot com and anyone can go. But if you are a first responder or you're affected by the wildfires, so maybe you just need to go chill out and get away from it and go have some coffee and play with some cats. When you book your cat therapy session, just put in per relief he u r R and then relief and you can also take a look at the Cat Cafe Lounge. I'm gonna be posting it on my Instagram at Amy Kking.
Speaker 4: Very fun.
Speaker 1: And then I'm gonna sometimes I do like a little tease and say, hey, tune in tomorrow and we're gonna be talking about this, I'm gonna figure out. I got to post this other one because they don't always go as planned. I had one cat like freak out and attack another cat while I was trying to.
Speaker 4: Pre record it.
Speaker 1: So anyway, but that's gonna be on my Instagram at Amy Kking also at KFI AM six forty and would love for you to follow me as well. So if you are so inclined, please go take a look at the Cat Cafe. I love what they're doing to help. Again, just we just need a break. Because Valentine was talking about before wake Up Call started, everybody's just on edge. We're all just because of this ongoing situation. We get a new fire breaking out yesterday, and then we get one late last night, which fortunately they've put a stop to, but it's just kind of got everybody on edge. Okay, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A new committee has been formed at la City Hall to lead the city's fire recovery.
Speaker 2: The city Council voted to create the ad hoc Committee, one that would oversee state and federal aid, city departments, work and rebuilding. City council woman Monica Rodriguez says, while national and state governments are also showing up, it's the local government that must lead.
Speaker 11: We are the ones that need to be on the front lines, leading this conversation, attuned to the needs of our communities, but making sure that no community is left behind in that conversation.
Speaker 2: The members of the committee have not yet been determined. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Lost my place because we're watching the We're watching the nominations for the Oscars. We're going to share some of those with you because they're not broadcasting them as they normally do because of the fires. But we'll get you. We'll get you some of those. Right now, they're doing the lesser nominations. I guess they're all big, but they've done like the animated short and that kind of stuff, so we're waiting for the big dogs. President Trump's getting ready to send ten thousand troops to the US border. An internal government memo apparently says the troops are going to help border patrol agents shut off access to asylum in the US, and we'll use Department of Defense bases to hold those awaiting deportation. Last night, the Defense Department confirmed it was sending an additional fifteen hundred active duty troops to the southern border on top of the twenty five hundred service members already stationed there. More than a half dozen police officers in Texas have been shot while answering a call about a man attempting suicide. Police Chief William McManus says the first officer to arrive last night was shot.
Speaker 12: Six others, such a point to that were.
Speaker 9: Shot at well.
Speaker 1: All were taken to the hospital. The shooter was later found dead. It's not clear if he killed himself or if he was shot by SWAT officers. Some mobile phones with TikTok app installed have been put up for auction on eBay. Some have been listed for hundreds or even thousands of dollars, but most don't have any takers. The ban on TikTok in the US over the weekend was short lived, but the app is still not available in the Google or Apple app stores. That means people who never downloaded it can't get to it now. Thirty one thousand people are under evacuation orders. Another twenty three thousand are under evacuation warnings as a fast moving wildfire burned through the mountains of Castaic. Fire officials say having a large number of ground and air support has helped give them an upper hand. About four thousand firefighters battling this one. The fires burned through about ten two hundred acres so far hasn't destroyed any homes. Despite another round of gusty Santa Ana wins, firefighters have continued to gain ground against the fire and Alta, Dina and Pasadena. The fires now ninety five percent surrounded. All residents have been allowed back into the burn area. Some areas are restricted to residents only they have to show proof that they live in the area. The House has passed the Lake and Riley Act. The law requires ICE agents to detain illegal immigrants who are charged, arrested, or convicted of nonviolent crimes. It's named after the Georgia nursing student murdered by an illegal immigrant. It passed two sixty three to one fifty six and will be the first bill sent to President Trump to sign into law this term.
Speaker 4: We're just minutes away from.
Speaker 1: Handle on the news this morning, ticktalks in talks to save its app in the US. Okay Oscar nominations were just announced, and here's We're just going to run through a few of them.
Speaker 4: Are not going to give you all of them.
Speaker 1: There's twenty three categories, and quite frankly, I don't care about some of them, but I do care about some of them, like Best Picture. Up for Best Picture are several Remember they can have up to ten in a category. Now A Noorra The Brutalist, a Complete Unknown, Conclave Dune Part two. It's kind of surprising, Amelia Perez, I'm still here. Have you heard of I'm still here? I haven't heard of that movie. Here's another one I haven't heard of, Nickel Boys. Then The Substance, which we did a little Amy's on it yesterday. That's up for Best Movie, and Wicked, which I've seen a couple of times. I doubt wicked'll get it, but I sure liked it. Up for Best Actress, Cynthia Arrivo from Wicked, Carla Sophia Gasconne, Amelia Perez, Mikey Madison for Anora, Demi Moore for the Substance, and Fernanda Torres I'm still here Best. Let's see Best Actress, Best Actor, Adrian Brodie for The Brutalist, Timothy Charlemaye a Complete Unknown, Charala May Coleman Domingo for Sing Sing another movie I haven't heard of, Ralph Finds for Conclave, Saw That One, and Sebastian Stand for The Apprentice, and then up for Best Director, Sean Baker for Anora, Brady Corbett for The Brutalist, James Mangold for a Complete Unknown, Jacques Audiere for Emilia Perez, and Coralie Fargeat for The Substance. I probably said that wrong, but those.
Speaker 4: Are the big ones. And again.
Speaker 1: The award ceremonies being held on March second at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. And I've got a lot of movies to see if i want to know what I'm seeing when I watch the oscars, I like to try and see as many as I can, but a lot.
Speaker 4: Of times you run out of time.
Speaker 1: Hey, with the fires breaking out, there was something that I saw last night that I wanted to pass along to you share with you. There was one of the guys that was being interviewed on TV, as he was told to get out of his home, held up a piece of paper that had the six peas on it, and he said, this is from my mom.
Speaker 4: She takes such good care of us.
Speaker 1: She gave us this list of the six pie's and the six PE's are the six things that you need to get before you go because you have your ready set go plan. And I thought this was really a good reminder because I know that last week or two weeks ago, when the fire broke out and running in canyon, that was the one that got closest to me and kind of scared me a little bit. And of course then there's a lot of you who had to literally get your stuff and go. Here's a little guideline for you. The six piece People and pets, that's number one. Then papers, phone numbers, important documents, prescriptions, then also vitamin's, eyeglasses, pictures, and irreplaceable memorabilia. When we talked to Brady at the Dream Center LA, he had lost his home in Altadena. He's the one we told you about where he was literally watching as is his house burned down. He said he's going to miss a lot of those things, the memories that he had. And so if you have special pictures, grab those personal computers, that's an easy one. And then plastic credit cards atm cards, any cash you have on hand, So people and pets, papers, prescriptions, pictures, personal computers and plastics. Good reminder because as we found out yesterday with that fire in Castaic, they can break out kind of anywhere and you might have to go super quick. That fire in Castaic has torn through more than ten thousand acres. Some schools in the area are closed today. Roads have been closed. More than thirty thousand people are under evacuation orders. No homes have burned. About four thousand firefighters, fixed wing aircraft and water dropping helicopters have been fighting the fire. The water dropping helicopters have been released, so that's a good sign. The judge who ordered Southern California Edison to preserve any possible evidence of what may have sparked the deadly fire in Altadena that started in Eaton Canyon. The judge's order stems from a lawsuit filed by a woman whose home was destroyed by the fire in Altadena. The woman's lawyer was concerned the utility might destroy evidence. The people who say they want to hear or they I'm sorry. The people who say they want to tear down Marilyn Monroe's old house in Brentwood are going to have to wait.
Speaker 2: Awhile the owners of the house where Monroe died in nineteen sixty two, also own the house next door. The city of la blocked the house in Brentwood from being demolished by designating it a Historical Cultural Landmark. The owners say the city violated the law in doing so. They argue the mid century actress only lived there sporadically for six months before she oweded, but their attorney lost his home in the Palisades fire, so a jury trial, originally scheduled for March, has been pushed back to June. Michael Munk KFI News.
Speaker 1: Before we had I I want to tell you that, as I mentioned, you could get these evacuation orders at the last second and you just have to be ready to go. And our very own producer and found that out last night. I got a text from her and she said, I had to get the I had to take my horse to a shelter or a rescue center or an evacuation center.
Speaker 4: What happened.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we got a text from our barn manager around eleven o'clock in the afternoon and she said.
Speaker 12: Buyer's not really close close, but it's moving this way pretty quickly, so you guys might want to get your horses out of here.
Speaker 8: So it was a mad dash to get a trailer, to get somebody.
Speaker 12: Out there, get the horse. We took them to Pierce College.
Speaker 4: Which is where a lot of people have been taking it for all of the fires. Yeah. Yes, and large animal shelter. They're amazing.
Speaker 8: And there's goats there and donkeys and pigs and and you have a pig next to your horse, a pig in the stall next to our horse.
Speaker 4: And the pigs I'm very happy about being so.
Speaker 8: Unhappy, squealing, grunting, and they were just throwing food into us mouth just to get him to be quiet. But I checked on him actually this morning on my way in, and they're doing okay.
Speaker 12: He's doing good. He's just like, what the heck.
Speaker 4: Is going on here?
Speaker 1: Love the people at Pierce College that they've been so's an important resource during these fires. All right, thank you, An, We're glad you your horse is safe. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI. Red flag warnings have been extended until tomorrow morning. Because of those Santa Ana winds and low humidity levels, win gots up to about fifty miles per hour are expected in the valleys and mountains.
Speaker 4: It's going to be sunny and really warm.
Speaker 1: His in the seventies at the beaches, low eighties for Metro La and inland O c seventies to low eighties, and the valleys in i E. Low sixties for the Annelo Valley.
Speaker 4: It's going to be.
Speaker 1: Cooler Tomorrow, still sunny his in the sixties and seventies, and then cloudy with a slight chance of rain Saturday morning, better chance of some rain Saturday afternoon, and rain is likely Saturday night and into Sunay. It's sixty seven in Anaheim, fifty three in Redondo Beach, sixty four in Woodland Hills, and fifty three in Inglewood. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and Whose Horse Is Safe, and technical producer Kono and traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,