Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Voice Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. In a moment, we're going to bring you this week's episode of Dragnet. But first I do want to encourage you. If you're enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software, and today's program is brought you apart by the financial support of our listeners. You can support the show by meiling a donation to Adam Graham Peelbox one five nine one three. That's Peelbox one five nine thirteen Boise Idaho eight three seven one five, and you can also become one of our ongoing Patreon supporters for as little as two dollars per month. Just go to Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net. But now, from March twenty seventh, nineteen fifty two, here is the Big Rose.
Speaker 2: The story you were about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. You're a detective sergeant. You're assigned a homicide detail. A thirty eight year old woman disappears. She leaves her sister and her four children behind. There's evidence of foul play. Your job find her.
Speaker 3: Drag mat the documented drama of an actual crime. For the next thirty minutes, in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you will travel step by step on the side of the law through an actual case transcribed from official police violence, from beginning to end, from crime to punishment. Dragnet is the story of your police force in action.
Speaker 4: It was Monday, June third, was overcast in Los Angeles. We were working the day watch out of homicide detail. My partner's aid, Jacob's the boss's that brown, Chief of detectives. My name is Friday. I was on the way back from communications and it was eight fifteen am when I got to Room forty two homicide. Joe, let's do I Brian? You seen Ed went all a minute, said he'd be right by. Oh thank you. I don't see anything in the book. Nothing new, huh, not much pretty slow.
Speaker 5: Now's your mother, Joe? Or she wasn't feeling too well?
Speaker 4: No, she's not. As a matter of fact, doctor says to anemia. It's gonna take a little time to get over it. I guess I'm sorry to hear it. I gotta do some checking down at the auto desk.
Speaker 5: If I get any calls, I hadn't to switch it down there with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure will, Brian, thanks you bet you? Oh, excuse me for.
Speaker 5: Me, Tom all right?
Speaker 4: Ed, what'd they give you?
Speaker 5: Missing report? Woman? How about the Ma'm no.
Speaker 4: It's nothing, not the missing report there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's all here. Someone out on sixty fourth Street names Rose Baker. It's been gone about a week.
Speaker 4: Last scene Tuesday, May twenty seven pm. Who's this? It made the report Carl Shelton, Who's he's her boyfriend.
Speaker 5: Miss Baker's husband died about five years ago. It's been running around quite a bit since then. Had a lot of man trouble.
Speaker 4: She disappeared before then.
Speaker 5: Huh yeah, half dozen times. Never been gone this long though. Holmes took this report from Shelton. He gathered Miss Baker's not too stable. She's going to drink quite a bit. Doesn't see to care anything for her home or kids.
Speaker 4: Seeing here she has four children. They're living with her aunt, missus Baker's sister. It's kind of a funny arrangement in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Baker. Woman packed her bags and walked out of the house about a year ago. Her sister's been taking care of the kids ever since. My mother comes back for a visit once in a while.
Speaker 4: Miss address we've got on missus Baker. It's the same address as her boyfriend, Carl Shelton.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right. They both have apartments in the same building.
Speaker 4: This a recent picture of miss Baker supposed to.
Speaker 5: Be Yeah, nice looking woman.
Speaker 4: Huh. Sister's listed here as the last person who saw Well, how's that Baker?
Speaker 5: Woman?
Speaker 4: Still wasn't living at home, was she?
Speaker 5: According to the sister, missus Baker came over to the house to see her the night she disappeared, sometime around eight o'clock. Two of them had some business to talk over. Seems the sister had a check for four hundred dollars she got from selling some furniture. Claimed the kids had been sick, she had doctor bills to pay.
Speaker 4: Missus Baker's sister took care of things to that extent.
Speaker 5: Apparently, anyway, after the sister got the check for selling the furniture, Miss Baker wanted half the money. Sister said, that's why she came to see her that night. Two of them got in the car and went out to find somebody to cash a check.
Speaker 4: One drink of water, no, no thanks, Then you get a four hundred dollar check cash at eight o'clock at night?
Speaker 5: Would you know, sister sitting miss Dickon, did somebody good cash at farm? Turned out the person couldn't cash it. Sister stopped at the bar for glass of beer as a Baker took a car and went to look up somebody else she thought could cash it. That was it. Miss Baker hadn't been seen since.
Speaker 4: Who was is somebody else?
Speaker 5: Well? I did? Sister claimed she doesn't know. Miss Baker didn't tell her.
Speaker 4: Sounds like missus Baker wanted the whole check, wouldn't you say?
Speaker 5: That's what the sister figured, and Miss Baker didn't come back. She finished the glass of beer, left the barn, started walking home. Two blocks from the house, she found her car park and it was time to Miss Baker. Car keys were in the glove compartment. So it's a sister's share of the money. Two hundred dollars in cash.
Speaker 4: Well, how about the firm that issued the check? They get it back canceled?
Speaker 5: Yeah, a couple of days ago. Miss Baker's endorsement on the back.
Speaker 4: Yeah sounds pretty wild, isn't it.
Speaker 5: The whole thing does talk to half dozen people who saw miss Baker that night. None of their stories gibed Hony mean. Her boyfriend, Carl Shelton, he claims Miss Baker told him she was going out of town for a few days with a girlfriend.
Speaker 4: They check it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, girlfriend didn't know anything about it. Then they talked to a woman who works with Miss Baker. She said, yeah, the Baker woman was planning a trip. Miss Baker mentioned anything about it to her sister. No, sister said, Miss Baker told her just the opposite, said she was getting out of her apartment into a new place. She's going to spend the next couple of days moving. They checked the boyfriend. Shelton said, if Miss Baker was moving was new to him.
Speaker 4: Either she's a liar or one of her friends are huh.
Speaker 5: It's all Baltic stuff. No two stories anywhere near like, what.
Speaker 4: Do they figure for a motive? They got a line on anybody who might have wondered out of the.
Speaker 5: Way, big field to pick from. She fought with Carl Shelton, she fought with his sister, some of the people she worked with. She had three four other men around town on the string too. Any one of them could have wanted her out of the way.
Speaker 4: All our relative has been checked out, all our friends places she'd be most likely to go.
Speaker 5: I'll check not a trace of or nothing.
Speaker 4: I guess we better start moving on. It a lot of ground to cover. See if we can't straighten out some of those stories.
Speaker 5: One thing's sure, somebody's Lyne.
Speaker 4: Eight thirty five am. Before we left the City Hall, we checked with Sergeant Holmes and Missing Persons who had taken the report on Rose Baker's disappearance. He had nothing to add to what was in the report with what he'd already told ed. First on the interview list was the sister of the missing woman, Bernice Maron. She was employed as a saleswoman for a grocery supply firm. We called at the home where Miss Maron lived with her four nieces and nephews, but there was no answer. The next door neighbor told us that Miss Marron was working, that she usually didn't get home until four or fifteen or four thirty in the afternoon. In the meantime, we figured we might as well check the next name on the list, Missus Baker's boyfriend, Carl Shelton. We'd already checked him through our and I and he had no record. We drove out to his address, a three story apartment house on sixty fourth Street. Shelton's apartment was on the main floor rear. He answered the door in his bathrobe and slippers. He told us that he was employed at one of the local oil refineries, and that this particular week he was working the graveyard shift eleven at night until seven in the morning. He showed us back to a small kitchen at the rear of the apartment. While we questioned him, he fixed a percolator of coffee and put it on the stove.
Speaker 5: You're sure about miss Baker's plans are and she never mentioned anything to you about moving out of the apartment house here, you know.
Speaker 6: And never somebody's handing you a line there. If Rosie was going to move, she'd tell me about it.
Speaker 5: This minute.
Speaker 6: I gotta get that coffee.
Speaker 5: Looks about that?
Speaker 6: He always watch some java.
Speaker 4: Got an old potfully, Yeah, Noah, and I'll thank you. How long did you say you've known miss Baker?
Speaker 6: About a year year and a half. You got along pretty good, she'd right from the start. Sure don't understand her taken off like this.
Speaker 4: Miss Baker ever talked to you much about the family, her sister, four children. I mean, did you see them regularly? Seemed to get along with them allright to you.
Speaker 6: I don't think i'd know that. Rosie never had much to say about him. The only thing I could gather was that she just got sick of the routine, you know, keeping up a house, doing the wash, mopping dust, and taking care of four kids.
Speaker 5: She just checked out.
Speaker 6: That's all her sister beniee takeover. You ask me. She never should have had a family to begin with. Rosie isn't the kind. She's a party girl, likes a good time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Something I don't understand.
Speaker 5: Shelton.
Speaker 4: You said a minute ago you couldn't figure out miss Baker's going off like this when you filed a missing report on her. You said she was planning a trip out of town.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Well, isn't it possible she might have taken off without telling you? No, I don't think so.
Speaker 6: She'd have told me she's planning a trip, all right, But she wasn't going to leave till the next night, Wednesday night. She's going to pick up this girlfriend of hers, Iris, and the two of them were going to take the bus down to Laguna for a couple of days.
Speaker 4: Well, it's our understanding this girlfriend Iris didn't know anything about the trip. Can you explain that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: I guess Rosie forgot to tell her. I can't figure these women sometimes. Maybe she was gonna phone her Wednesday morning. She knew Iris could get away almost anytime.
Speaker 5: And you think it's possible she might have gone down to Laguna by herself.
Speaker 6: No, that's not like Rosie. Besides, before I went in a reporter missing, I called a couple of places down Laguna where Rosie usually stops that they hadn't seen her.
Speaker 5: Possible she might have gone some other place.
Speaker 6: No, without telling me. No, desides, she wouldn't go alone. I know that, Sheldon.
Speaker 4: We understand missus Baker was friendly with two or three other men around town. You think it's possible she might have gone someplace with one of them.
Speaker 6: Sheldon, No, No, I can't buy that. If it was eight months ago, i'd say maybe, but not not.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 6: We had it out, that's all, it was all settled. She wouldn't do anything like that. Again, pretty sure about that? I am yeah, positive. I didn't get it at all. She wouldn't do that. To me and off just packing up and leaving. Rosie wouldn't do that to me. She's got four children. Yeah, she did it to them.
Speaker 4: We questioned Carl Shelton for another half hour, but he failed to come up with anything in the way of a definite lead. Ten forty a m. We drove to the home of the missing woman's girlfriend and Iris Kirby. Two things she was pretty definite about. She knew nothing about an out of town trip Missus Baker was supposed to have planned for the two of them, and secondly, she had no use for Carl Shelton. She told us that Shelton was her ex boyfriend and that she had introduced him to Rose Baker, and that shortly after that he dropped her. A few weeks later, Shelton began to keep steady company with Missus Baker. Outside of her personal grievance against Shelton, Iris Kirby had nothing to offer in the way of a lead to the whereabouts of her friend. Eleven thirty a m. We got in the car and headed for the factory in the south end of town where Rose Baker was employed. We stopped off in the way for lunch, a bowl of soup and a sandwich. Had had a cheeseburger and a piece of pie before we left. We checked the office to see if there were anny calls. Nothing. The place where missus Baker worked was on Santa Fe Avenue, a one story building covering almost half a block. They manufactured men's work clothes, shirts, and overalls. We checked with a personnel office. We asked if Rose Baker had any friends that she worked with. We were told that there was a Mildred Dunn who was a fairly close friend of the Baker. Woman ed and I waited in the office while they sent down to the plant for Mildred Dunn.
Speaker 5: Miss Dunn, that's right, police officers. My name's Jacobs. Is my partner starting Friday.
Speaker 7: How do you do are you?
Speaker 4: I'd like to ask a few questions about Rose Baker, missus Dunn. I understand you're pretty close friend to hers.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's right. I've known Rose ever since she came here. She worked on the machine next to me.
Speaker 5: She come home yet No, not yet. You remember miss Baker saying anything you about taking a trip, Miss done mean just before she disappeared.
Speaker 9: Yes, she did. She'd been looking forward to it.
Speaker 8: That's probably where she is, don't you think off on her trip?
Speaker 4: Oh we don't know, ma'am. Did you mention anything definite about the trip to you? Where she was going when she was leaving, Well, I.
Speaker 8: Think she was going to Laguna Beach.
Speaker 9: It's hard to tell.
Speaker 8: She's always kidding around, Rose is. Once she said she was going to fly to Switzerland for a vacation, Sam Fritz. She's always kidding around like that. Oh, that's so like Once when she had a date with Fred, she said she was going to the pump room in Chicago, you know, just being funny.
Speaker 4: I see who is this Fred? Missus dune fell.
Speaker 8: In the shipping department. Fred Lyons nice fella.
Speaker 4: He and Missus Baker so much of each other.
Speaker 8: They used to, yes, quite a bit. I don't know if they were serious about each other. I thought they were till a last month or so. Maybe they had a tip or something. Maybe Rose got tired of him.
Speaker 5: I don't know, but you do to think the two of 'em were serious at one time.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, it wasn't more than a month ago, and all of a sudden they weren't sweet on each other. Least Rose wasn't about him.
Speaker 9: She told me that I guess we.
Speaker 4: Better check on him.
Speaker 8: Ed.
Speaker 4: Is this Fred Lyons working to day? Do you know?
Speaker 8: Ma'am?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 8: No, he quit last Tuesday.
Speaker 4: One fifteen pm. We finished questioning, Mildred done and we went back to the personnel office to get Fred Lyons's description the last known address. We checked out the address, but Lyons had moved out the previous Tuesday and left no forwarding address. We questioned the landlady, looked over his rooms, checked through the neighborhood, and talked to everybody he knew. We found nothing to indicate that Lyons had anything directly to do with Rose Baker's disappearance, but we did find out that he knew missus Baker and that he thought quite a bit of her. We went back to the office. Gott a broadcast and an apb on Lions.
Speaker 5: I want to check the book, Josie. If we got any light calls?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, right, homicide Jacob, that's right? All I sure? Where was that? All right? Thank you got something? Yeah? Hollywood Division, woman's purse fond the bacont lot out there, high school kid founded a lot of identification inside. Yeah, Rose Baker. Three point fifteen pm.
Speaker 4: The purse was brought downtown to the crime lab for detailed examination. Brian and Barrett from Homicide went out to interview the boy who found the purse and to check the neighborhood where it was discovered. Meantime, Ed and I drove out to talk to the missing woman's sister, thirty six years old, Bernie Marrin. She and her sister's four children lived in a five room stuck out house just off Exposition Boulevard. We got there shortly after Miss Maron returned home her job. Her two older nephews were out in front cutting the lawn. She showed us into a neatly kept living room where we interviewed her. She was a plain looking woman, brown haired, gray eyes. She showed little concern about her sister's disappearance.
Speaker 11: I gave up trying to keep track of her a long time ago. Sorry, and I haven't any idea where she's gone. I used to worry about her.
Speaker 5: I don't you know how about that person of hers that was found the sapronym Miss Mariam. Wouldn't you say that makes it a little unusual?
Speaker 9: An I don't think so. She loses things all the time. I don't know what she does.
Speaker 11: When she goes off of those things. I don't want to know. It's drunk and does a lot of fooling around. I suppose she's lost two or three persons the same way.
Speaker 4: What about last Tuesday, the night she disappeared, you know, so she'd been bringing in.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I got the idea she'd had a couple of highballs before she came over. She wasn't drunk, but she wasn't feeling any pain. I will say, would you excuse me? I want to yell with the kids out there? Yes, ma'am right right, that's enough of that playing around out there.
Speaker 9: Let's decided person that lawn more.
Speaker 2: Huh okay, no.
Speaker 9: Better, hurry up. You still got the backyard, you do, remember?
Speaker 1: Yah?
Speaker 11: Well, a good thing that came out of that married sergeant throws kids out there. There's two more besides Frank and Bobby. The girls, my nieces. One's nine, one, seven, marvelous kids. Girls are just as pretty as pictures. I'm glad I have a chance to take care of them. I guess I just like kids. I can't understand it when people don't appreciate them. I don't have a family of my own.
Speaker 4: Oh, I see, miss Marin, when you were with your sister last Tuesday night, you say she didn't mention anything at all about taking that trip out of town.
Speaker 9: No, just the opposite.
Speaker 11: Like I told you, she said she was moving out of her apartment into a new place. That's why she needed the money.
Speaker 3: M m.
Speaker 5: Well, what's the story about this money your sister came to pick up, Miss Mann. I don't think I quite got that clear.
Speaker 11: Well, we had this baby grand piano my mother gave Rose to me just before she died. Kids have been sick the last couple of months, one thing and another. I needed a little money to catch up on some doctor bills, so I sold the piano and I needed to do it, but the bills had to be paid.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 11: Rose found out about it somehow, and she wanted half of the money I got for the piano. She wanted the money for herself, and she wasn't even willing to pay for her own kids doctor bills.
Speaker 9: It'd be different if I was charging her to take care of the kids.
Speaker 4: I just do it because I like them.
Speaker 11: Well, anyway, she found out about it and I had to split the check with her.
Speaker 9: The whole thing was for four hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: I understand your sister got the check cash that night.
Speaker 9: That correct, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 11: It was eight o'clock at night. But Rose said she knew somebody who'd cash it. She wanted the money that night and save an argument. We got in the car and went to see this friend of hers, some bartender. He couldn't cash the thing, so Rose took the car and went out to look up another friend she thought would cash it. I didn't want to go chasing all over town with her, so I stayed at this bar and had a beer.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 4: And that's the last time you saw your sister's Yes.
Speaker 11: I waited a couple of hours, and then I walked home. With two blocks from the house. I saw my car pulled up the curb right on Exposition Boulevard. Car keys were in the glove compartment, two hundred dollars in cash right under them.
Speaker 9: No sign of Rose, though.
Speaker 5: Well, what time was it when he got back to the house.
Speaker 11: You remember, it was after eleven It close to eleven thirty.
Speaker 9: I think I went right to Ben And.
Speaker 4: Since that time, you've had no indication where your sister might have gone, No form calls, no letters, no word from one of her friends who might have seen.
Speaker 9: No, not a thing. She's in trouble.
Speaker 11: You can't understand why I'm coming for a long time, last five years, going downhill all the time.
Speaker 9: She's no good, sergeant. I don't know how it happened. Just no good at all.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, Miss Barren.
Speaker 4: Thank you, ma'am.
Speaker 9: Oh, not at all. No trouble. Yes, I'd better get dinner started for the kids.
Speaker 4: Well, if you hear anything about your sister, we'd appreciate it. If you give us a call.
Speaker 11: Yes, all right, it's going to be the same old story, same thing all over again.
Speaker 9: You can bet on it, ma'am.
Speaker 11: She'll come back when the money's gone.
Speaker 4: Five point fifteen pm, ED and I drove back downtown and went directly to the crime lab. The missing woman's purse, which had been found in the vacant lot out in Hollywood, had been examined thoroughly. They'd found nothing that had provided us with a new lead. We checked communications, but there was still no answer to the APB we'd gotten out on Fred Lyons, the man who'd worked with Rose Baker and who dropped from sight the same day she did. Thirty pm. We got back to the squadroom.
Speaker 5: Hi, I'm Brian. You just get back. Yeah, you get the word. No, what's that missus Baker? They just found her body.
Speaker 3: You are listening to dragnet authentic stories of your police force in action.
Speaker 4: June third, Monday, six pm, the body of thirty eight year old Rose Baker had been discovered in the Hollywood Hills area, approximately three fourths of a mile from the intersection of Mulholland Drive and oaknol Terrace. A dirt road branched off to the left of Mulholland and wound about three hundred yards down the hill to a dead end stop. Just below the guardrail which circled the edge of the road. There were two eucalyptus trees. They overlooked a deep ravine covered with scrub oak and patches of laurel. Halfway down one slope of the ravine they found the body of the missing woman. There were two bullet holes in the left side of the skull. There was another one at the base of the throat. In her clenched right hand. There was a fifty cent piece. The immediate area surrounding the body had been roped off and Lieutenant Lee Jones and the crime lab crew were making their preliminary investigation. There was no sign of the murder weapon. The coroner arrived, and when the preliminary investigation was completed, the body was taken downtown to the County Morgue. All clothing and personal effects were removed from the body and sent to the crime lab for detailed examination. Rose Baker's sister, Bernice Meron, was brought to the County Morgue and identified the body. A few minutes after ten o'clock that night, ed and I got back to the office.
Speaker 12: I got it.
Speaker 4: I'm side Friday, is it, Sergeant Friday? Yeah, sir, that's right.
Speaker 12: This is Carl Shelton.
Speaker 5: Sergeant.
Speaker 6: You were out to talk to me this morning.
Speaker 4: You remember, Oh yeah, Sheldon, I heard about Rosie.
Speaker 12: Just a couple of minutes ago.
Speaker 10: I got to talk to you, Sergeant.
Speaker 12: I gotta tell you.
Speaker 5: Was that?
Speaker 4: So do you want to tell me now?
Speaker 6: I don't want to tell you on the phone.
Speaker 10: I'll drive in to see you.
Speaker 12: I'll leave right now.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, all right, do you mind telling me what it's about?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I know who killed Rosie?
Speaker 4: Eleven oh eight pm Karl Shelton arrived at the office ed and I took him down the hall to the interrogation room, where he gave us his story. He told us, first of all, that he was well acquainted with most of the regular customers at the tavern where Rose Baker and her sister had first stopped to cash the four hundred dollars check. He told us one of these people, Leroy Hanson, had contacted him after he read in the morning paper about Missus Baker's murder.
Speaker 6: I've known Larroy at least four or five years. He used to work with him. He wouldn't lie to me.
Speaker 5: What this pellattas Shelton, that's Leroy Hanson. He said.
Speaker 6: He got to the bar a little after midnight. Hadn't be at least that because Leroy doesn't get off work to eleven thirty. Said he saw Rosie sitting in a car parked a couple of doors down from the bar. There was a woman in the car with her. He described her just like Rosie's sister. They were having a beef and.
Speaker 4: His friend of yours here what missus Baker and this woman were talking about.
Speaker 6: No, but he's smart enough to know a big argument when he sees one, he says, they were really going to it? Is he sure about the time? He's got to be. Larroy works at a sheet metal plants south of town. He gets off at eleven thirty, takes him more than a half hour to get in. Why should he lie about it. He wasn't even gonna mention it till he found out she was dead.
Speaker 5: This woman, he says, Miss Baker was with She fits her sister's description that.
Speaker 6: Close exactly, and there was a guy with Leroy.
Speaker 4: He'll back it up.
Speaker 6: If the sister says she wasn't sitting in that car with Rosie outside that bar after midnight, she's a liar, well she is.
Speaker 4: If you can prove your story.
Speaker 6: Here's the phone you asked Learroi.
Speaker 4: Eleven twenty two pm. We put in calls to both of the men who were supposed to have seen Rose Baker and her sister Bernice sitting in a parked car outside the tavern six nights before. Both of them corroborated Carl Shelton's story down to the last detail. They were especially certain about the time. Bernice Marron told us that on the night her sister Rose disappeared, she hadn't seen her after nine fifteen PM, and that she had walked home and was in bed by eleven thirty. Both Leroy Hanson and his friend told us that they had seen Rose Baker and a woman answering her sister's description sitting together in a car parked outside the tavern. They were both certain at the time that it was well past midnight. We made a check on Leroy Hanson and his friend. As far as we were able to find out, there was no logical reason why they should lie about what they'd told us. Ed and I got in the car and drove out to the home of Bernice Maron, just off Exposition Boulevard. It was twenty minutes past midnight. We rang the front doorbell and got her out of bed.
Speaker 9: Oh officers and then who it was? Come in?
Speaker 5: Thank you man?
Speaker 11: Oh, you have to wait long before I answered, I sleep pretty sound.
Speaker 5: Would have to ask you to get dressmas Maren like to talk to you downtown.
Speaker 4: Why what's the matter, Well, some more questions we have to ask you, ma'am. A few more things we have to clear up about your sister. It's pretty important.
Speaker 11: I've told you everything I know. I don't like to go out and leave the kids alone at night. What is it you want to ask me about?
Speaker 4: Well, you told us the last time you saw your sister was about nine fifteen last Tuesday night, and it's marya.
Speaker 9: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 4: We've got a couple of people who claim they saw you with your sister after midnight Tuesday. You were sitting with her in your car parked outside of tavern. You're having an argument with her. At least two people saw you and they'll swear to that.
Speaker 9: No, that couldn't be right. They said it was after midnight and they saw me.
Speaker 4: Yes, ma'am, that's what they say.
Speaker 9: And do you believe it? You believe it was me?
Speaker 4: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 9: We do you think I killed Rose? Said it?
Speaker 4: Yes, ma'am. We think so. How about it, miss marn It'll.
Speaker 11: Take me a minute to get my clothes on. I want to talk to the oldest boy man if you, Frank, But it'll be all right.
Speaker 4: I'll have to go along with you, all right, this.
Speaker 9: Way down the hall in here. I don't want to wake the other kids fighting helping, all right, Frank.
Speaker 7: Wake up, Frank, Frankie, what do you want as I hate to wake you up, Frankie, I'm gonna have to go downtown tonight. I'm leaving now in case I'm not here when you and.
Speaker 9: The kids get up. I want you to take care of everything, all right, honey.
Speaker 12: Okay, what do.
Speaker 7: You have to go downtown for it?
Speaker 11: Well, it's something about your mother. Frank might take a little time. You see the girls get off to school on time in the morning, won't you, Bobby too. The sandwiches are all made, they're in the ice box. All you have to do is put them in a paper sack.
Speaker 9: All right, yeah, okay, why do you have to go now?
Speaker 4: Can't you wait until tomorrow?
Speaker 11: I'm afraid not, Honey. You take care of everything, huh. Make sure all the doors are lot and don't forget to feed the dog.
Speaker 5: No, I'll forget.
Speaker 4: What's the matter?
Speaker 5: Is anything wrong?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 4: Of course not now.
Speaker 11: If something happens so I can't get back tomorrow, I'll call.
Speaker 9: You on the phone.
Speaker 11: All right, Yeah, okay, you'll be sure and call huh, I'll call you, honey. Go to sleep now, it'll be all right. You get some sleep. Good night, thank'ee.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, good night.
Speaker 11: I'm sorry to keep you waiting. I had to tell Frank what to do. The kids wouldn't understand. I mean if they woke up and didn't find me here.
Speaker 4: Yes, ma'am, what'd you do with a murder gun? Miss?
Speaker 9: Ma'm in my garage. I'll show you.
Speaker 11: I had her for kids to raise. It's not easy. You know what it costs to feed them, put clothes on their back. It's not the kids I minded. They're wonderful. I love every one of them. I'm glad to get the chance to raise them. Never married myself, never had any of my own. Hasn't been easy at all, working all day, coming home, cooking for them, doing the wash, trying to keep the house clean. Rhodes never gave me a dime to pay a bill for her own kids too. She gave us nothing, and she tried to take everything, tried to bleed me for my last dollar. I catched the check that night and said she was going to keep all the money. I couldn't stand anymore. We are you and I killed her?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, I'm sorry, ma'am.
Speaker 5: We'll have to go.
Speaker 9: Yes, all right, Well I do, sergeant, What'll I say?
Speaker 4: I advise you to tell the truth. You'll get a fair trial.
Speaker 9: I know that it's not what I mean. What do you mean inside there? What am I going to say? How'll I explain it?
Speaker 5: Ma'am?
Speaker 9: The kids? How do you tell four kids you killed their mother?
Speaker 2: The story you have just heard was true. The names were changed protect the innocent.
Speaker 3: On October third, trial was held in Superior Court, Department ninety two, City and County of Los Angeles, State of California. In a moment the results of that trial, When their aunt, Bernice Alberta Meren, was apprehended on suspicion of one to eighty seven PC, the four Baker children were taken into protective custody by juvenile authorities. Bernice Maren was indicted for murder and entered a plea of self defense. She claimed that at the time of the murder, her sister attacked her with a knife while they argued over the division of the four hundred dollars check. Bernice Maren was tried in Superior Court by a jury composed of nine men and three women. She was found not guilty. You have just heard Dragnet a series of authentic cases from official files. Technical advice comes from the Office of Ties Chief of Police W. H. Parker Los Angeles Police Department Technical Advisors Captain Jack Donahoe, Sergeant Marty Winn, Sergeant Fans Bracer. Heard tonight were Barney Phillips, Virginia Gregg, Vic Perrin. Script by Jim Moser, music by Walter Schumann, Hell give Me Speaking.
Speaker 4: Next, It's Counterspy on NBC.
Speaker 1: Welcome Back. What kind of an interesting ending in that she was acquitted? It what was mean? With quite a few questions about the real life situation as well some of the adaptation issues, like did the alleged attack from Rose actually happen or was it something that she made up later. It does seem like when police confronted her that would probably be one of the first things that she would say. The adaptation leaves it feeling like that she acted in anger, so it'd be more like a case of perhaps manslaughter. And of course, if the self defense story was true, it seems like there would be some corroborating evidence in the car or on the body, although this might also be a case of a situation where you could say to someone no jury in the world would ever convict me if I took some rash action, and it actually is true, Bernice would be a very sympathetic defendant, and a lot of people, if not most people, have had a relative similar to Rose, so maybe that sympathy overrowed any evidence. If, on the other hand, it really was self defense and there was not any sort of maliciousness, you'd hope that she would get a custody of the kids back, or at least that that process would be considered. But again, there is a limit to what we can know from the Dragonet radio play. All right, well, now it's time to thank our Patreon supporter of the day. Thank you to Nancy, Patreon supporter since March of twenty sixteen, currently supporting the podcast at the Detective Sergeant level of seven dollars and fourteen cents or more month. Thanks so much for your support, Nancy, and that will do it for today. If you're enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software and be sure to rate and review the podcast wherever you download it from. We'll be back next Thursday with another episode of Dragonet. But join us back here tomorrow for yours truly, Johnny it all or where?
Speaker 12: Nice to hear from you again, Johnny. What can I do for you?
Speaker 10: Roy? I'm putting this call on expense account. Oh ain't that?
Speaker 3: Ain't all?
Speaker 10: If I could make connections down to New York. Well, let's see, there's a plane leaving for the West Coast a little after midnight, so i'd arrive in LA early in the morning.
Speaker 12: Coming out of here.
Speaker 10: Unless somebody's been pulling my leg, Roy, you have a policy holder named Helen Daner, Yes, we certainly do. Well, now, what's that mean.
Speaker 12: She's an elderly woman of Spenser who lives up in the little town Tomorrow Bay, that's about two hundred miles north of here, Johnny. She called his office early this afternoon. She demanded your phone number there in Hartford, and well I didn't give it to her.
Speaker 3: Why not us?
Speaker 12: She wouldn't say why she wanted to get in touch with you, knowing how busy you always are. Will, But just a few minutes ago I began to wonder about it. Yes, well, after all, if she wanted to contact you about some insurance.
Speaker 10: Matter, Yeah, well, did you call her back?
Speaker 12: Yeah, since we hadn't lot her insurance, that is, I tried to, but I got no answer.
Speaker 10: And right I'm going to grab that plane I was talking about.
Speaker 12: Well, I wait, did you get to you. Did you talk to her?
Speaker 10: Yes, and it has something to do with her insurance money. So I'm flying out there riot your company's expense, not just a minute, unless, of course, you'd rather pay off her insurance to some beneficiary, honey, then just be sure to have a rental car waiting for me when I pull into the airport.
Speaker 1: I hope you'll be with us then in the meantime, send your comments to Box thirteen at Greatdetectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and check us out on Instagram, Instagram dot com, slash Great Detectives from Boise Atohole. This is your host, Adam Gray, him signing off.