Speaker 1: Greene's Society, Jason's Everyone at Church twelves and welcome to Fantasy Baseball Live. Today is still March the eighth, but now it is almost four o'clock here on the East Coast. I'm back with my good friend mister Tim McCleod. And Tim and I were thinking that we've got to get these sleepers out as soon as we can. So Tim, I thought we'd get together this afternoon and finish the old sleepers up.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of sleepers, that's why I took a few minutes for meeting. It back to you, Rich, I decided to have a fifteen minute power nappened at last two and a half hours, I had my ringer off. It's just a good thing that it must have been a prostrate situation, any I ended.
Speaker 1: King, Am I am? I?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get to a certain age you don't sleep for more than about two and a half hours.
Speaker 1: Even I'm right there with you. I'm right there with it. I had. I had a good old prostate infection, which if you're you're an older gentleman, you know what I'm talking about. You just get those. And I went to the doctor and who goes, are you?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Do you have to get up in the middle of the night. I go, well, of course, I'm sixty years old.
Speaker 2: Last question, yea.
Speaker 1: More than normal. I go, okay, that's a better question. So I don't think so much exactly, I don't. I don't know if they've got those rings now that you can get that measure your soundness in your sleep now. And I refuse to get that because I don't want to know, because I get up every day, every night. I get up at least once a night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm I'm hey. I'm fine if I'm not tired the next day, and you know, and even if I am tired, I'm old. I'm retired. I'm entitled that power aps are a way of life. Good.
Speaker 1: You work awfully hard for being a being a guy retired.
Speaker 2: By the way, Yeah, I'm fairly busy.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think I had three or four drafts, two sets of preps questions, and I put in, got a call in one of the dealerships, plus three other shifts. Yeah, I don't really know where I would have found time to actually work now that I'm retired. I'm running out of time. How was that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I wrote some more. I wrote some more, capsules up for my postal Monday, watch a little bit of a baseball game. Taking notes on that. Let's see what was I always watching? Uh? Christian Campbell strike out two more times and four at bats, so I did get a hit though it was a good hit.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, well let's extra velosity one ten, one twelve.
Speaker 1: I think it was four, it was ever ninety five. It was a hard hit, so that was good. Jackson Joe pitched a great another had another great outing, topped out a ninety nine point four miles an hour, twenty four to forty three spin on his fastball and just a nasty slider. So just looks like a real deal.
Speaker 2: I like to hear that because I have only a little bit later on get to starting pitching. I've got a huge investment in Jackson Joke. I think I have him in virtually every league.
Speaker 1: Rich I wrote that book. I wrote it up for dining for Patreon members, and this is my last sentence. I think you this is a very oozing with sarcasm. This I think Tim will appreciate this. And I'm talking about Jackson Joke. They appeared to be giving him every opportunity to break camp with the team. But when you've got Kent Tamada as your number five starter, well that's a tough guy to crawl over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm holding up a scorecard that has a ten on it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, well I would think you'd be able to outpitch Kent to Maeda, right, you would think so.
Speaker 2: In your sleep, Like I did, not to mean Kent to Maida, but I think he's now like thirty eight and he's had a good career. But I think Kent to Maida is more IV a middle leave ratings eater sort of.
Speaker 1: Ye start, yeah, yeah, I agreed in a few good years, but he was at one point in time maybe Jackson he had Jackson Joe, but that was ten years ago, right, I don't know if he's ever been Jackson Joe. But Jackson Joe is a good pitcher. When I saw him in the Fall League in twenty twenty three, it was jaw dropping stuff. It was impressive. So we have done sleepers or catcher, first base and second base. I encouraged your body to go back and to the end of Sunday's podcast for that, are you ready for shortstop?
Speaker 2: I'm ready to rock.
Speaker 1: Who's your sleeper at shortstop.
Speaker 2: Uh, my sleeper would be a guy that I don't believe I have any shares of, and I'm kicking myself for it, but I'm certainly liking Tyler Fitzgerald. Oh yeah, last yeah, yeah. Fifteen homers, seventeen stolen bases last year over pretty much half a season. Hey, there's lots of strikeouts there, but with an ADP of two forty, I'm sort of liking what I'm seeing as a late pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if you can duplicate what he did last season, but I mean it's a very intriguing option. What round do you have to get him in?
Speaker 2: Uh, you're you're looking at one fifty, ten ninety on top of that sixteenth fifteen, sixteenth round.
Speaker 1: Seems pretty reasonable. I've got a guy that my pick is a guy that I know you're very high on. I was high on him last season. I don't know if he was, he must be. He's got to be one of my targets. That's Anthony Volpi going as the fourteenth shortstop off the board. I think he's only going to get better, tim He's only going to get stronger. He's got speed, so we know there's going to be stolen bases. There's a decent defender. I'm going with Anthony Volpie. If I can't get one of the high end shortstops, then I'm going to wait for Anthony Volpi.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you're right, because he would have been my choice. I have him all over the place. Rich, I've got at least six shares of Bolby, and I'm expecting good things. He's young, he's hitting at the top of a very strong lineup. I think you're going to run scored. I think he can hit fifteen home runs a steel thirty bases. So I'm right with you on Anthony Volby. Give me your deep sleeper, Oh my deep sleeper. I gotta go. I gotta go with my Canadian roots here, and I'm gonna go with Ernie Clement. Of all people, I know, he's my guy. My guy is your guy, My guy is your guy.
Speaker 1: You can double down, Yeah, yeah, yeah, people, Ernie Clement, come on, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, he went twelve twelve last year, over four hundred of bass. But yeah, he didn't strike out a tunnel and walk eleven times. No, No, let's let's start Jordan Lawler. That's a much better conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's the only problem with Jordan Lawler, Tim is why he can't stay healthy. And two is they really like Herdola Perdoma. They gave him a long term deal. It's a good shortstop. And where does he play? When does he get the call? Tim?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh sorry I lost you there, Richard.
Speaker 1: So when does he get the call? I'm sorry, when does he get the call? Because I mean it's uh, I mean, Prodoma's playing shortstop and third base. They're they're full.
Speaker 2: Uh, they're full. But when he's ready, I think they'll find room for the bat. Yeah, I really do. Uh. I think they'll move him into I think they'll move him into shortstop and start using Perdomo in the outfield as a backup against tough, tough pitching at shortstop, third base, second base. I think I think Predomo is going to be the super sub in Arizona playing all over the place with Lawler at short So it's just a matter of when they three.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I everyone I had to call Tim Becky had a bad connection. I think we get a better connection out to them. So you were saying with Lawlor, you think that Pardoma becomes a super sub and La Lawler becomes a shortstop.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's Lawler's got no blur problems all with the glove, does he?
Speaker 1: I think Perdoma is better, Okay, But I mean Lawler has been talked about playing third base, but you know third base is full, So I mean that's my only concern is where does he play?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it is a concern, But I still think they'll use Perdoma in a super sub role once Lawler's bad is proven that they believe he's ready to rule. And I don't think it's going to take that long. I really don't. A lot of people are concerned about the Perdomo signing. I'm not. I'm really not. When he's ready to go. I think he's going to be ready to go.
Speaker 1: I agree with it. That's why I put him as my deep sleeper. And I think as a guy that you can get as the twenty ninth shortstop off the board and a nice reserve pick. Definitely in draft on old leagues, he should be a guy that you target.
Speaker 2: Totally agree.
Speaker 1: Let's go to third base, Tim, have you.
Speaker 2: Got third base? You know, I was reading through some stuff and I ran into a quote by Connor Norby, Okay, who's currently going twenty fourth off the board. And I mentioned my lust for Connor Norby two seventy ADP. But apparently he wants to hit thirty homers this year, which on the surface sort of sounds a bit crazy. But last year he hit twenty six between all levels of play. Maybe it's not that crazy. I gotta go with Connor Norby late.
Speaker 1: Connor Norby now with the Miami Marlins. I kind of like the pick Tim. I know you've been high on him. It's his year to it's his year to play Tim. And wouldn't it be funny if he turns out to be a better option than Jackson Holliday.
Speaker 2: Yehah, it's gonna make that trade look even better, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah? It is. And the Marlins usually get the short side of a trade, but maybe it'll work out for them. Carnan Orby is a good player. It's just, uh, you've just got to do it. I like the pick I got. Mine's a boring guy, but Matt Chapman was a guy that you could get a little bit later. He's starting to creep up, uh, but he is the eleventh third basement off the board, he's boring, but third base can get shallow in a hurry. And I like Chapman. I know he's in San Francisco, so you don't like the power potential there. But I think he's going to be twenty five thirty home runs. It's a huge ex of velocity and I think he's going to play. So I've got Yeah, Matt Chapman is my guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think he's getting as much loves as he should. I started figured right now he's round who he's what eleventh off the board? I yeah, I think it's I think it's a good solid sape pick. I agreed, yeap.
Speaker 1: Who's your deep sleeper?
Speaker 2: Oh? My deep sleeper? I this is deep and I could still be sleeping because this guy right now is sixty sixth off the board with an ADP of seven point thirty two. But why not?
Speaker 1: Cam Smith? That's a great call, And we talked about him on the previous podcast, and he's having a great he's having a great spring. He had a great debut in his professional debut. Yeah, why not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you want to go sleeper, you're not going to get me any that that deep.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised he has he's not higher than he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think most people are resolved to the fact that it it ain't going to happen as early as I think it potentially could, depending on what happens with Christian Walker.
Speaker 1: My guy is not doing so well, tim My guy's struggling. He is struggling, hitting won twenty five. In fact, there's a roster resource has already got paulled to Young in front of him now at third base. So it's not looking like Jose Tina is going to be the deep sleeper that I thought he was going to be even three weeks ago. I don't know what's happened there. He played so well last season, He's always played well in the minor leagues. I'm not sure exactly what's going on. He might not even go north with the team. I mean, they got him as a bench player now, but I think there's a lot I can't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, Sorry for interrupting. I'm still half a sleep here, but yeah, but no, like I can't figure out what Washington was doing there. They're not a playoff team, they're not a contending team, so why not let the kid play and they bring in, and this isn't a slam against the young, but is he a long term Is he a long term piece in Washington? Maybe maybe he's there to work with Tanya and be that one year transitional player. But I don't know. I started, I started to think they should take a ten year shot. He's the future.
Speaker 1: Maybe Tanya just didn't maybe he didn't play well enough to take the take the role. You know, sure he surely has struggled. So I'm not sure what's going on there. I have some people I know in the Washington organization. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on there. But it's been a bit of a bummer. But he's still a guy that I like a lot. I can't believe we're gonna I'm gonna dump my affection for him after three weeks of a of a bad spring. So so I'm still all in on jose Tan. Let's take a break, Tommy and get back and uh let's do outfield, shall we? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sounds like a plan. Uh well, I almost said that. It's a line that I have used for at least fifty years, but I say it all the time, and it sounds like a plan. Stand and I almost said the stand okay, stand, I got myself, but.
Speaker 1: Wow, that would have been funny.
Speaker 2: It rhymes okay, so I it's just something I've been sounds like a good plan, stand and the way you go. But anyhow, that's why it was chuckl like I had to catch my double catch myself there.
Speaker 1: So Tim, as you know, we were in a bidding war for an apartment, a new apartment in Marstown, New Jersey, where we live, and four people bid on the house. A house never went on the market. We came in third, so did not get the property. And apparently the person who did get the property from what they won't tell us what they bid on, but apparently significantly more than everybody else.
Speaker 2: So they wanted it. They overpaid for it. It's theirs right and they are.
Speaker 1: They definitely overpaid for it. And it was a real it was a beautiful place. But you know, you know, we just they they wanted it more than we did, and we were not going to do something stupid. So so so we'll just wait for the next one to come on the market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no need to still loo Kidney.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's true. This one, this one I was thinking to put my wife into a densered servitude. So it was it was not true. It was a lot. I mean that the uh we the council that we got get this, tim was you we would have to go four to five hundred thousand dollars over list price, and the list price was already three hundred thousand dollars over what the house was assessed for, so it's like okay. It was like, so I don't know if ultimately that's where the don't don't know if all that's where the yeah, that's where the house landed. But we just said no. I mean, it was crazy stuff. I mean I was like, wow, past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you were mentioning that you know, it's a problem and one of your children is looking at a place right now and they're struggling, and you know, it's it's just the nature of that industry at this point in time. But you don't have to be in a rush to throw it away, you know what I mean. Eventually something will come up and it'll work and away you go and it'll you know, maybe you'll be able to avoid the I would call those over stupidity.
Speaker 1: So exactly, it's like for you know, for a guy on your fantasy team. So we saw the same thing happening here at the beach probably twelve to eighteen months ago. Now people are cutting prices on their houses. So we've got good friends who are trying to sell their house and they have the first showing in three months. So nobody's looking for houses. So it's very cyclical. So we just don't want to do something stupid. So I know a lot of people were interested because a lot of people love talking about real estate, Home and Guarden TV and it's always fun to hear about competitive bid situations. But we lost, Timmy. It was funny the yeah you lost, but you could have won.
Speaker 2: You could have won, maybe we did.
Speaker 1: It was funny because our realtor goes, you came in second lowest, and I said, I prefer to say we came in third place. So there you go, the second lowest. Come on, it makes it sound like losers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was gonna say, and if you expect my business at some point in time in the future, you probably just blew it right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's move on to outfield. Who do you got You do one, I'll do one and we'll kind of go back and forth like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, sixty fourth outfielder off the board with an ADP of two fifty four. I'm liking me some. Garrett Mitchell.
Speaker 1: Rich always liked Garrett Mitchell.
Speaker 2: I have I've I'm loyal to a fault, and I have many, and it's it's a fault. Yes, probably I'm sticking. I'm sticking to it. Now that it looks like he has a job.
Speaker 1: I just realized we didn't cover either one of your drafts. That happens, so we have to do that next week. That that'll be our topic for next week because the guy that I selected. I was online when you selected Dylan Cruz and I smiled Timmy tim It did his TALT Wars team and I saw he selected Dylan Cruise. He was on the wheel. Well done, McCloud. I just think I love Dylan Cruiz this season. This is the year to get him.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. He's in a situation I believe where the price is right and after this year, who knows, who knows what's going to be occurring. But you're not getting to get him six seventh, eighth round, No, I ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 1: I agree. My next two guys are deep sleepers. I don't know if you just have some regular sleepers next or some guys that are looking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got one that's sort of a boring one, but I sort of like him, and that's Brandon Marsh in Philadelphia. Yeah, he's you know, he's going seventy six off the board. He's got an adyp of three thirty seven. It looks like the Rojas project is over and done with right now in Philadelphia. And last year sixteen homers, nineteen stolen bases to forty nine batting average. I started like Brandon Marsh in deeper leagues. I think he can you know, he did it last year. Why can't he be a fifteen to fifteen type and as a fifth outfielder that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good call. Speaking of Philadelphia, I see where Max Kepler's having a really good spring. Just beware everyone, Max Kepler gonna look like the best player in baseball for three weeks at a time, and it's three months before he's the best player baseball again. It is a streaky hitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be honest with you, when you mentioned his name and watching the game, I thought you were going to say he was my first reaction, but he's injured already exactly. Yeah, and then yeah, no, I don't wish that on, but yeah, Max Skepler definitely has his moments.
Speaker 1: He does. I mean, he looks, he can look great every period of time, but for the most part, he's just he's just okay. Still young enough though, so it's disappointing. My guy's Jacob Melton. Tim, I've been talking about him kind of in the same line as Camp Smith. He's one hundred and thirty, first guy off outfitter off the board, so he is free. Not suggesting you pick him up in a traditional draft. Definitely draft and hold leagues and just pay attention to what's going on going on in Houston. I don't like to set up in Houston. I've mentioned it before. I mentioned it the last podcast is which is why I like Cam Smith, Which is why I like Tim's selection of Cam Smith so much in his Deep Sleeper. I think you could see the Astros start to make some moves here in the second half, and I think it's going to give some of these guys a chance to play.
Speaker 2: Totally agree, like Jacob Milton a lot.
Speaker 1: Who's your next guy, Tim?
Speaker 2: My next guy I've got. I've got a sleeper, a deep sleeper, and I've got a really deep sleeper. But you know what I mentioned about a month or so ago that I and I've mentioned it numerous times in the offseason, that I really liked Herso arnellis in San Diego. Yes, yes, and you know what, he's having a great spring so far. Things are Things are good with mister Arnellison. Yeah, one hundred and thirtieth off the board with an ADP of six sixty five. I'm gonna if you want to go steak in liquor, all got three hundred at bats.
Speaker 1: No, I'm right there with you. No, I probably I'm the one who's been talking about Okay, I have a share of him on my NFC team, So I'm very proud of that.
Speaker 2: Yes, as as you should be. I think he's gonna be I think he's gonna be a good little player, and I think San Diego will give him the opportunity.
Speaker 1: I have been writing about this guy since he was sixteen years old, so it's been seven eight years. So I mean it's like, you know, you got on him, Yeah, I mean you just it's like, give the guy a shot, and uh, you know, and then I was so disappointed when they brought in Jason Hayward. And who is the other guy for the platoon? I can't remember.
Speaker 2: Oh, the Connor Joe was, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Connor Joe. And it's like, oh, come on, can't we give the guy a shot. It's like it's the kind of when you're not a star like Dylan Cruz, it just seems like teams just want to make it really hard for the guy to get get an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Every time I hear Connor Jewel, Okay, I think he should be like an old blue singer.
Speaker 1: I know the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I got I think I got both, uh, both those guys on my NFBC team. I'm very excited about all of that. Anyway. Uh so your guy so some network to.
Speaker 2: Me, right, Yeah, and then I've got one really deep guy.
Speaker 1: So I've got somebody that is not suggesting anybody pick this guy up in a draft. But Chandler Simpson reminds me a lot of stuer Ruiz, the year that est Ruiz came up and stole thirty bases and half a season.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, And Chandler Simpson is significantly faster than estr Ruiz. There's absolutely no power. He's a speed only guy. He's a great defender. He hasn't spent any time in Triple A, and the Rays like to go a level at a time, so I could be a year early. But Chandler Simpson will get a shot to play and we'll steal you bases and a bunch of So if you're ever hearing Tim talking about now is the time to pick up Chandler Simpson on the waiver wire, you better heed his advice because when he comes up to him, he's gonna steal bases for you.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's gonna He's gonna get find a way down to first base, either through slapping ahead or a walk. And as soon as he gets to first base, give him about twenty seconds and he should be on second. It would be my guess. I think it just me can fly. I haven't seen too many. When I saw him in Arizona this year, the first thing that came to my mind was Billy Hamilton. He's got classes class of speed. It's blinding. He got down to first base. He's sort of lolligagged down there on a couple infield oats but on the third one he put it into high gear and it was like, Wow, he's got jets, no doubt about for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, Timmy, let's move on.
Speaker 2: And I got one more. Alright. I don't know why, but I've I've just developed a man crush on Alan rood In.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of people have.
Speaker 2: You know. You look at you look at the numbers, and he controls the strike zone. Well, okay, walks virtually as much as and actually, if you go back to high a walk more than he struck out. You know, I think you're looking at a like last year he had sixteen home runs drove in between two levels, double and Triple A. He uh, what do we got here? Seventy six RBIs and fourteen stolen bases. His OBP at Triple A in two and forty five vests is four oh six. I I just think that the Jays are gonna find room, They're gonna they're gonna sell, and there's gonna be pieces flying all over the place in the second half of the season and in a draft and hold uh, I think I tucked him away in real forty eight or forty nine. I just think we're going to see him at some point in time I like and I like the player.
Speaker 1: I gets a good call. I mean, he's a nice little player. It's not a star by any stretch. Let me ask you kind of an adjunc question.
Speaker 2: It okay, I can add junk as an answer.
Speaker 1: Just last career finished the season as a Toronto Blue Jay.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Wow, so they're going to be sellers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was the rumor? I read somewhere he wanted fifteen years, A little bit less than six hundred I think was the number.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, Wow, that's fifty million a year. I guess that's the going rate for overweight for a basement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that's that's again. I was just a rumor I read somewhere. But yeah, it's the Jay should have done something two years ago. Yeah, if they were serious about getting him ininged, you know what I mean? And they didn't. And hey, if I was, if I was Glad Junior, I'd say with the market ad to bear as well? Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah for sure? Yeah? Yeah, okay, so we moved to pitching. I've got five guys. I don't know how many you have.
Speaker 2: One, two, three, four? I got six?
Speaker 1: Wow. Of course you always out to me so give me your first.
Speaker 2: One, Tim, My first one is a guy that warms the couckles of the art. And he pitched today and I got I got the full up, the full update, including spin rate. I got a huge investment in Jackson job and Ken Tamada is not going to hold him off. Rige not a hope. His ADP is two seventy nine, and I can see I can see drafts moving forward, that moving and creeping up just a tad.
Speaker 1: I'm I mean, I love the call there. I hope he stays healthy. But I mean I think, I think, I think the Tigers I believe they can compete. I think they can in the central And I mean imagine a having another full season of Trek Schoolble and then a guy that might not be that for heart far behind Tarrek Schoolble with three quarters of a year underneath his belt. I mean, going into twenty twenty six, that could be quite a pitching staff to deal with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've got some young players and you know Riley Green and Cole Keith and Parker Parker Meadows. Yeah, I think they should be looking at themselves as contenders in that division.
Speaker 1: YEP, totally agree with him, Gavin Williams. Big on Gavin Williams. The season ninety second off the board. I don't know what happened last year. The stuff was a lot better than what he showed. You gotta love the chief Factory of Cleveland, and I give me some Gavin Williams. I have him in a number of leagues. I'm pretty excited about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that. I like that call a lot. I've got him in several leagues and I'm expecting good things for my next one. I got a question for you, Rich Okay, if you were looking at a veteran pitcher, Okay, that last year pitched to a three thirty year a with a one to sixteen whip, won nine games, half of which were when he was a member of the Chicago White Sox and struck out one hundred and fifty four over one hundred and seventy seven and a third innings. What would you look at to be a reasonable adp on a player with that skill set?
Speaker 1: I never talking Eric Fetty, but and Eric nobody is nobody liked k Fetty coming. It's just the season. You and I talked about it. You and I talked about Eric Fetty before even at eighty p's and you said, I just don't know if I'm willing to have him as my number two starters. Well, Timmy, you don't have to.
Speaker 2: I mean looks like, hell, you got you got a debate whether you want him as your number five start first round, twenty second round.
Speaker 1: Like it's crazy, It's crazy. I just traded for Eric Fetty. It was Eric Fetti, Jose EIGHTEENA and another really interesting oh, Glaber Torrez for Max Freed. I'm like, I don't think the difference between glabor between Max Freed and Eric Fetti is Glaber Torres and Jose etana. So I went and had did the deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, good for you. I just I can't figure that one out. Like I can understand last year, okay, when I was moving off about Fetty and all changes to his mechanics and delivery and how everything was so good and Greed. I can understand people doting okay last year, But he spent all of last year proving that he's not the same pitcher as he was before he went to grew. Yet people still aren't believing. So I'm I'm befuddled on Eric Vetty. I really am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean, I'll like, but all I can figures that people just think. I mean, look, he doesn't throw all that hard. There's a lot of things that are out there, but clearly he knows how to pitch. And as a number five starter, please, I mean, come on, yeah, I feel the same way about my next guy. And look, Justin Justin Verlander could very well be done. He didn't pitch well at all last season. He is playing for the San Francisco Giants now, but as a one hundred and fifty second starter off the board, he's looked really good this spring. I mean, people have on Justin Verlander in the past, and he's can come back to Hawk people. I yeah, I mean it's my six or seventh picture. Please, I'll think Justin Verlander.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the same with Max Schureser. That's the same situation. Yeah, exactly, I've got I've got Sureser on three or four teams because I think he's got another year in the tank. Well, if you're paying for him, that's one thing. If you're not paying for him and you're drafting him as a as a you know, six seven starter, why wouldn't you take a chance.
Speaker 1: I just run about Verlander a couple of days ago, and I think his ADP was four fifty. I mean, I can't even account that high. It's the thirtieth round, isn't It's like.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, that's another that's another planet.
Speaker 1: That's it doesn't It makes no sense to me because if you're wrong and you grab him, you know, as your number seven picture or the first guy, and you reserve and he doesn't work out, so what but getting you're you're giving a shot with Max Schureser and and Justin Verlander type. I don't see any downside with that.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's no risk, all reward.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, who's your next guy?
Speaker 2: Oh my next guy. I haven't talked too much about him a little bit, but I did a little bit of a little bit of digging and I started of like DJ Heurts in Washington. Yeah, he cleaned up his mechanics over the offseason, changed changed his delivery, and over the second half of last year, you can you can say he was arguably the best Washington starter. Uh, you're looking at NADP. That's twenty spots further down than Eric Betty. I started like DJ Hurtz to continue with that second half of last year. Moving into this year, I.
Speaker 1: Did a deep dive on DJ Hurst and he still doesn't throw the ball that hard, but there's more there than he showed at least in the minor leagues. And I love the call.
Speaker 2: Thanks rich Uh. I'd be your next two picks are they could have been on my list?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Louis Ortiz got moved from at least like it's Louise l or Tease or I don't know something, Yeah, distinguishing from you know, the other five hundred Louis Ortiz thattter in the league.
Speaker 2: It's obvious he's he's he's owl or nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, anyway, so when our teeth got traded from the Pittsburgh Pirates or I don't I can't remember d F eight or whatever and he went to the Cleveland Guardians, my ears perked up. I'm like, this guy is a great arm. Maybe he's a bullpit arm long term, but I love the set up here with Cleveland. He's having a pretty good spring. Why not again, same general area, justin Verlander. Last picture off the board, you know, for in a traditional league, why not take it on Luis l or Teeth? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why not. I I like to I like to pick a And it's not like Cleveland doesn't know how to turn throwers into pitchers, right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, one out of percent. The setup is it might not work everyone, but the setup is there. You got a great arm, you got a great organization. He's out of Pittsburgh. It's just all set up. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah. The only person who's upset is Paul Skeen is because he might have got a better deal in Cleveland. Maybe not, but no, I like when you're looking at sleepers, that's the sort of thing that counts looking at you know, like you said that moved to Cleveland. Uh, it counts.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming Kyle Heart's going to be on your list, and I think it's a similar kind of setup. He's not because I was thinking, I was thinking of Kyle Hart when you were talking about Eric Setti, and you know, you kind of like guy that come back from Korea in particular, because we talked about this before. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but they seem to figure something out and Korea and they come back, and it's worth a gamble because you can always get those guys like you could Eric Fetti. They were free last year, and Kyle Hart might not be anything, but the setup is there. Pitching at a great ballpark. Yeah, he's got to go up against the Diamondbacks and the Dodgers a few more times. But you like the setup on Kyle Hart well.
Speaker 2: And again, much like Fetti, he went over there, his fastballs up a couple of miles an hour, he's got a sweeper that was that he didn't throw in North America, and his change up he's been utilizing it more and it worked very, very effectively. So again it's not a case of Kyle Heart going over there, pitching a year, getting lucky and coming back to this dates. He went over there, changed his game, made some rather significant changes, and now he's coming back a different picture. What will he work out? Who knows. But when you see the success out of as you just mentioned the pictures coming back from Korea, Hey, toss a dart.
Speaker 1: That's that's this is that's the whole idea behind taking behind taking close sleepers. As you you look for somebody that's got a really good setup. Okay, who's your fourth guy? Oh?
Speaker 2: My fourth guy is currently sitting with an ADP of three eighty six. Uh, and it was either Kyle Hard or this guy. But I'm going with Tommy Yuki Sagano of the Baltimore Oriole and he better be posting above average results with the Grayson Rugg.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, that was Tim cut out a little bit. But with the Grayson Rodriguez needs to be I I actually got him in one of our Dynasty supplemental drafts. I was actually pretty excited. So we'll see thirty five year old. Yeah, Baltimore's pretty good at figuring out the metrics with guys. It's again a guy that's free, so why not spin the dial on them.
Speaker 2: He's got six pitches and the lost he isn't more than once was, but the control still is. You know, he'll knock the cap off a soda bottle at home plate. He doesn't walk. He walked sixteen last year in a full season. Yeah, and that counts.
Speaker 1: My fourth guy is Caden Dana or his brother, Dana Cayden. This guy always get backwards. They could be Dana Cayden. I really don't know anymore. But this is a kid that, at twenty years old, was promoted directly from Double A, which is what the Angels like to do for some reason they don't like sending guys to Salt Lake City. And Dana came up as a twenty year old, and I think it's fair to say he was the worst picture in Basse over those three games, he was terrible, gave up a ton of home runs. I think it was a nine ear a or something, and he just wasn't ready. And he's ADP is two fifty six. I'm not suggesting this guy is going to be an ace, So I think there's enough there. He throws hard enough good secondary pitches that he could be a solid number three starter. And look, the Angels, you know, love him or hate him. Ardy Marina wants to win now and if Cait and Dana can help Cain, Dana is going to be up and I think he gets a shot. I think he'll be much better, which I mean, he has to be better than he was last season. And the arm is too good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree. I've I've got several shares in dynasty type formats and I'm very happy to have them.
Speaker 1: Very well. All right, who's your fifth guy?
Speaker 2: My fifth guy? We're we're going from the same team with our number five guys, rich with an ADP of four to Roho two. I'm going with Grant Holmes. Velocity counts, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, former DoD your first round draft pick. A lot of people don't remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's shoving at this spring. I started like, and they've got him penciled in ahead of Ian Anderson at number four in that rotation, which I have a feeling will be either four or five combined with your guy at four or five, and Ian Anderson will be back in triple A. But I started like Grant Holmes. I think there's something there, and it's the line has got a good team. They'll score some runs for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's currently slotted in number four, Ian Anderson number five. I'm starting to see Ian Anderson because I play in ten dynasty leagues and everybody is trimming down their team now to get it legal right, and and Ian Anderson is being dropped.
Speaker 2: So yes, and the guy that you're looking at, JR. Richie isn't right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, here's a guy that was I believe it was the first round draft pick a few years ago, had Tommy John surgery. Obviously, was moving through the system fast because that's what the Atlanta Braves do move guys through the system fast. Unfortunately, Tommy John Surgery came back last season actually pitched pretty well. And he's not I looked. I didn't see a ADP form, so I don't think he's been drafted at all. And look, teams need ten twelve pitchers. Jay Ritchie will get a shot, and that's it's a good arm. It's a good picture that most people have forgotten about.
Speaker 2: Good arm. Good call Rich. I like it.
Speaker 1: And look, the Braves do good stuff with pictures. Look what they did with Ronaldo Lopez, Look what they did with Chris Sale. I mean it goes on on Schwellenback's a pretty darn good pitcher. They make these guys better.
Speaker 2: Spencer Streider was not as highly toted as what he ended up being. Is that fair statement?
Speaker 1: Well? Yeah, I mean yeah, absolutely one hundred because he was the best picture in baseball for a couple of years. But don't think anybody saw even close to a number two starter out of him, and uh, you know it turned out to be quite good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: May I talk about Spencer Strider for a moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, you may. And I've I've got my I've got the ultimate sleeper.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll quit that. But but I got a message from one of our Patreon members, smart guy likes the comment on stuff, and I made the comment, I think it was on Spencer Strider that you know he's now had his second Tommy John surgery, and you know, we have to be really careful about that because you know, people after the third one, you know, the data is really sparse. He came back and said, no, it was the Brace surgery, and I remember that when he said that, So I did misspeak, but tim in the end, because brace surgeries are still so new, I checked with one of my agents, who then checked with the insurance carriers, and the insurance companies that underwrite these contracts do not care, do not differentiate a Brace surgery versus Tommy John. They look at it as an elbow surgery. So when they evaluate the risk of underwriting a contract, which all teams try to do, they look at the They look at at two Tommy John surgeries, two Brace surgeries are one of each being identical. So so until there's more data that maybe the Brace surgery is going to be different, longer lasting, blah blah blah, I mean we think it people recover from it. Faster, But it doesn't seem that way because show, Hey, Otani missed, you know, fourteen months, so so I don't know. So yes, technically I misspoke, but I think until we know more, it's pretty much a major elbow surgery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the way I you know, I don't. I don't care how your brace it, slice it and dice. It is elbow surgery. It's an invasive invasion. You're it's an invasive surgery to correct a problem. Now, maybe maybe it's not as great a risk, but we don't have enough information because it's a relatively new procedure. Maybe five years from now we'll be able to say that. But right now, it's an elbow. They're cutting into it. That's good enough for me.
Speaker 1: So I guess my my PostScript on this would be just because you hear it's a brace surgery, don't go, well, that's not as bad. We don't know that yet.
Speaker 2: Well, no, there's lots of oatfielders with brace surgery that are dhing and have DHD read. There's a reason for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Timmy, who is your final deep deep sleeper?
Speaker 2: Oh, my final deep deep sleeper shouldn't be and he's having a really good spring, and he's currently slotted into the fifth spot in the Dodgers rotation. Tony Gonsolin is sitting with an ADP of four ninety three.
Speaker 1: I want, I wanted to guess he's on my NFC team. So yeah, I'm totally I'm totally wired in with you. I totally get it.
Speaker 2: How's he How does he have an ADP of four ninety three.
Speaker 1: I think people are just forgot him about my.
Speaker 2: Eighth eighth pitch. Yeah, I think I picked him as my eighth starter. I think in tout seventh or eight, and I okay, yeah, you're gonna give him to me. I'll take him that late. You know why not?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, obviously, elbow surgery is a big deal. People sometimes don't come back from it. But he is showing velocity in spring. He's pitching well. Speaking of pitching poorly, Dustin May doesn't look like the same guy. We're talking three miles an hour off.
Speaker 2: Of his fastball, So that's a number.
Speaker 1: That's a big you know, I don't know if he's purposely not throwing as hard. I mean that could be, it could be, yeah, but I mean, doesn't look like the same guy. Gonson does look like the same guy to me. So I'm totally in with Tim on that. I totally get it. And again a lot of these guys are just forgotten about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know the game, the game never stops, it's always it's always moving forward. But sometimes you find somebody, and I think we have with some of these sleepers, just overlooked players that still have the potential to bring value to not only the real game but ours.
Speaker 1: Let me sink or find a break, get back, and the podcast supposed me twenty to thirty minutes is at forty eight. We did good, great stuff. We wank get back maybe next Sunday, maybe Monday, and we'll be talking about Tim's tunt Wars team and his labor team. See how he did there, and you know, just starting to get ready for the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got one draft Sunday night, and I've got my last auction on March nineteenth, and that's it. Ten down, two to go. The end is now.
Speaker 1: Well hopefully hopefully I just the drafts. Not the end.
Speaker 2: Well no, not no, not the end, No, no, no, The end still wants to drive cars around for another few years, rich and play fantasy baseball and talk with my good friend Rich Wilson.
Speaker 1: How's that so, Timmy, I will be in touch with you on Saturday with my phone because I'll be taking pictures from the Joe Bonamasa concert and at Saint Augustine, Florida. So be thinking of you, my friend as I yea, as I'm taking. Yeah, we're totally looking forward to be our fortieth wedding anniversary. So that's how we're celebringing it watching Joe Bonamasa. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is very very cool. Did you ever, like forty years ago, envision the future and where you would be on your thirtieth or year, you know, your fortieth anniversary or you know, yeah, I mean you know how you look to the future right and everything else? Did you have Joe Bond muscle concert for your four youth That's so.
Speaker 1: I never thought of it quite that way. But if you were to told me that we were going to go see a rock concert on our fortieth wedding anniversary, I would not have been totally shocked. But what would have shocked me is my wife would have made the selection and it would be it would be a blues guitar player then I would have been Wow, that's that has come full circle. So I think that's and the week spending before.
Speaker 2: That graduate congratulations, you did very very well. You both did that.
Speaker 1: We did and well. And the week before that watching baseball games. I mean, how lucky am I?
Speaker 2: So there's a jackpot there by the way.
Speaker 1: I have I have spent a lot of time at Broadway shows as well, so I have done my penance.
Speaker 2: So good for you, Good for you. So congratulations, happy, happy anniversary. Safe travels to Florida and you two have have have fun in the sun.
Speaker 1: Take care of Tim.