Speaker 1: And there's a lot to talk about now.
Speaker 2: So joining us on the program right now is none other than Sammy Moore with the Ute Zone. Sammy, how you doing today and welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, Scott, how are you well?
Speaker 2: You know, people ask me that I'm going to give you the same answer. I'm living the dream and it's not a nightmare. So I really feel like a life is good, really good.
Speaker 1: So football camp has started.
Speaker 2: What's just I know it's very very early, it's right in the beginning, but maybe just your kind of take on things in the very very early part of this fall camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean obviously, you know, media can't get in to watch any fall camps on like you know, we get the twenty minutes in the spring, so it's been just you know, hearing from.
Speaker 3: The coaches on what there was. It was very uh you know last year coming into the season, there was a lot of like hype around this team, uh because of you know, the returners, you had Cam, you had you know, hype for the Big twelve, all those sorts of things. And so I think this year it's it's taken a very different approach this year. I think, you know, they coaches, players, everyone has realized that, like you know, you learned the hard way last year that nothing is ever, you know, given in college football. And so I think it's been a very it's been a very different camp to cover, even going back to spring. You know, it's been a lot of we know we have to earn it, we know we have to get better, we know we have to improve from everyone from the coaching staff all the way down to the players. So it was, it was, it was, it was a fame thing on on on Tuesday or on Wednesday and Thursday. But you know, I think you know, guys can smell it, guys can feel that, you know, they're less than a month away now from a football game, and so I think it's a lot of fine tuning things. I think one of my biggest things that I you know, thought of and that stood out to me was Kyle Whittingham said after a practice on Wednesday that, you know, the offense was moving with a lot more efficiency, opening things up. I think, you know, not a lot of people talked about how hard it is to get personal packages on and off the field. That's something that fans don't really you know, think about when you're thinking about a football season. But you know, Kyle said that that was a big thing that he brought up, was that this team was getting the personnel groups onto the field in a quicker motion. Like it wasn't as you know, clanky, messy, whatever you want to call it, that it was in spring. But obviously, you know in spring they're implementing this whole new Jason Beck offense. So you know there was going to be some bumps, but it's good to hear that. You know, things are moving better with the offense as we inched closer to the season.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Jason Beck's offense, you know, everyone talks about the defense, and like, you know defense, you know, it's it's kind of a standard that is upheld pretty much every year, and it's just kind of where.
Speaker 1: Does the offense go? What can you do with the offense?
Speaker 2: Can the offense hold up its end of the deal, and what do you think needs to happen like with this offense, with Jason Beck's offense in year one of all of this, what kind of urgency do you think he feels, What kind of pressure do you think he feels and does he have I guess the manpower to accomplish what he needs to have to happen.
Speaker 1: So what needs to happen with this Utah offense?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think from last year, the standard for offense is kind of like it's on It's like it's a ground level like any semblance of a passing offense. Any amount of points that's over probably like thirty is going to be a step in the right direction compared to last season. But I do think, you know, the biggest thing, at least for me heading into the season is can Devin Dampier stay healthy? I mean, all reports indicate that the Utah offensive line is by far one of the best they've probably ever had. And that's by far the only group that I will continue to hype up this season because you know, it's there's two projected first round draft picks and Setterfano and kayleb Blomu to know what TOGII is one of PFF's highest graded like guards in the in P four heading into the season, and then Michael Milkathisi and Darren Kump have also played a lot of very important football for Utah. So I think, you know, if Devin Dampier can stay healthy, and you know, if that offensive line can stay in tact and help keep him healthy and protected. I think, you know, you're gonna see some more vertical threat. You're going to see some actual passing offense. You're gonna see way Sean Parker and Nakarie Rodgers and Bryce Duke get theirs on the ground. You're gonna see Devin get his on the ground. So I think that you know, know, if you talk, can score this season, and I know that's like a low bar to have if you talk and score efficiently. I think that this offense is doing what it needs to do. You know, this defense last year very well kept them in as many games as they possibly could have, but you know, lots of quick free and outs or for the offense, you know, put the defense back into some really tough positions. There were games down the stretch where you could see that the defense was getting gassed because they were on the sideline for what like a minute and a half two minutes and then they were right back out there. I think the BYU game stands out to me in that aspect, But you know, I'm interested in his offense. I think there's a lot to possibly look forward to and be excited about You know, I've watched a lot of New Mexico football between December and now, and I've also went back watching to Jason Beck's offense. For youracuse, there's a reason be excited about the what this offense can possibly entail, you know. So it's just a matter of can they put it all together, can they start doing things? Who's going to step up at wide receiver, how are the Titans going to contribute. There's just a lot of questions. But you know, like early reports from some of the players, it seems like the offense is like it's starting to click for them.
Speaker 2: So my concern it just seems kind of like a dilemma with the quarterback. And you mentioned Devin dan Pierre staying healthy. Part of his game, A big part of his game is running. And you look at the history of Utah winning championships. Quarterbacks ran. You know, get to the Pac twelve championship with Tyler Huntley, he was you know, he made some big plays running. The same thing with Cam Rising and actually both of them ended up getting hurt and it cost the team. So how do you how do you how do you balance that? How do you how do you let Devon run because he needs to, because that's a part of his game. But how do you how do you keep him healthy, how do you keep him up right? How do you keep him on the field.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think a lot of the like the things with you know, both Cam and with Tyler was the sliding was not a big forte for them. They were not the biggest fans of it. So I think, you know, Devin's a smart kid. I think Devin knows when to get down, when to get out of balance, and you know he does he it was like I think it was in during spring ball he said, I know how to take a hit to protect myself, and so I think, you know, he knows what he's doing. I think he's prepared to do. He's prepared that way. You know, he's been a mobile quarterback his entire career, So I think it's that. But I think, you know, the hope is that he's not rushing for eleven hundred yards like he did last season, because you know, a lot of the time last season when he was running, he was running for his life. In Mexico did not have the greatest offensive line, and so with the better offensive line, that Utah has the hope and the expectation is is that Devin isn't forced to flush out of the pocket as quickly. He isn't running for his life. He's able to you know, be smart with when he runs and when he doesn't. I mean, I think, like I said, he's a smarketed. He knows how to get out of bounce, he knows how to get down. Like I think that he's very aware of what he needs to do to keep himself healthy so that he can still you know, rush for however many yards in the season, but also pass for as many yards in the season that he needs to.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm fascinated with your comment about watching a lot of New Mexico film in your study.
Speaker 1: What really stood out to you? What?
Speaker 2: What did you what did you glean from from that research? And uh time he spent with that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the first thing that is so that was Devin put this team and a lot of opportunities to win. But inversely the Utah's team, where the defense put Utah and a lot of opportunities to win, Devin in New Mexico put their offense. The offense put the team in a lot of ways to win, but the defense couldn't get it done. And so I think, you know, there's there's a lot like Jason even said during his press conference this week that you know, this is an ever evolving offense. Like he said that when they first started last year in New Mexico, he thought he was gonna have five or six receivers to rely upon and they weren't going to be running as much. But then you know, those receivers started struggling and they ended up with like Ian he said, two or three receivers and one tight end that were producing. And then the running backs were producing a lot more, and so you know, the offense evolved and shifted into more of a a run first offense. You know, it's a lot of there's RPO, there's a lot of QB reads. The screen game was big for them. They had a couple of like really fast guys that could get off like get out of the edge and just go and just take it. So you know, it was there were some good moments watching New Mexico football, but then there was also some like not great moments watching New Mexico football. Because, like I said, Devin had like his interception tools. I know, it's something that people are not happy about as we head into the season. But there were like three or four of those interceptions if I can remember them correctly off the top of my head. That the ball hit the wide receiver straight in the hand, it bounced off, you know, things that were not in his control. You know, he put the ball in a good place. It's just his wide receivers, his tight ends, his running backs just didn't come down with the ball and it led to those interceptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a that's a cruol game. They play those quarterbacks. I used to be a quarterback, and darn receivers dropping the passes and then they get intercepted and that goes on you. It's just not right, Sammy, It is not right.
Speaker 3: I mean, PFF does a lovely way to break it down into turnover worthy plays, and if it's deemed like the quarterback's fault or the wide receiver's fault, it's actually pretty interesting and stuff.
Speaker 2: So turnover worthy plays. I like that, all right, I'm gonna have to check that out. Where was that when I was playing? It's like, you know, the worst one was when you throw the hell mary at halftime because because most of the time, it just gets intercepted. And now they teach the players to bat the ball down to the ground. But the likelihood of getting an interception in that play was pretty pretty high. But anyways, I digress thirty new players that joined the team since spring football. Who of those thirty can really help this team? And you know what, what's the likelihood? Because I think it's you know, it's a little challenging to get up to speed and expect some of these guys to really contribute. But who do you think can contribute? Of these new guys that are joining.
Speaker 3: The team, there are four that were like spring slash summer editions that quickly pop into mind for me. The two obvious ones are Tobias Merriweather and Larry Simmons, the wide receiver and them that they pulled out of the portal. Tobias, you know, haven't Devin said at practice it Tobias is one of the guys like he has made some big plays with Devin over the last you know, just two days of practice from what Devin has said and stuff, And so I think Tobias is going to be, you know, vuying for that wide receiver one spot, big guy six five around two hundred pounds, fast, good hands. It was a former uh FO high four star recruit, verging on a five star according to twenty four to seven. He ended up at Notre Dame, spent a couple of seasons at Notre Dame, and then transferred to cal last year. He's probably gonna be one of those top wide receivers for this team this year. Larry Simmons is a transfer from Southern Miss. Utahually recruited amount of high school and he ended up at Ole Miss for a year or two, then he transferred to Southern Myths, and then he finally found his way to Utah this summer. He's another guy like Southern Myss football also was also hard to watch last year, and I watched some of that begin to feel on how well he could do to this team.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like you've been parturing yourself watching these terrible football teams.
Speaker 1: Don't do it.
Speaker 3: I do it, Hey, I do it because I need to see what Utah's getting in these guys. And Larry's one of those players that you know, like if if the Southern missoffensive line could hold up for longer than two seconds and the quarterback could deliver a somewhat decent ball. Larry was this type of guy that could turn something that looked like it was a two yard catch into like a fifteen yard game. And so I think that he's another one that could get in there. It's just again for him and for Tobias, it's building that chemistry with Devon getting everything under control. Learning the offense. Bryce Duke is a running back turner from old dominion. I could see him somehow working his way into that like top three running back. I don't think he's gonna He's not gonna take over Waishan at number one way Shawn Parker, but he he very well could be that number two guy. By far, the biggest back in this room. I think he's like six foot six one around two ten, so he's the biggest guy by far. And you know, Beck described him on Wednesday as like he's like he has an added receiving element, which you know, that's something that you can bring into the game. He watching his film, it's a lot of power back, short yardage situations, bowling ball down a hill type things with him. And then I think the last one, all of them are on offense. I think the last one is JJ Buchanan. He's a true freshman tight end from Nevada, insanely high IQ player. He was one of the highest highest rated recruits in Utahs class for twenty twenty five, but he just, you know, Freddie Whittingham said, he's up to two twenty five with a vertical that you know, he can jump out of a gym level height. And you know, JJ was someone that he could have played either way. He could have played tight end, he could have played safety, he could have played wide receiver like he played all three of them in high school. And he's the versatility that they have with him, and also just pure athleticism I think is going to be massive for this Utah team. You know, he's a guy that I think put him in line, you can put him out in the flex, you can move him in different ways, and I think I think JJ is probably going to see the field a good amount this season.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, because I was going to ask you about the tight end position. It's the one a lot of people haven't been talking about, but Utah has talked in the sense that they needed depth there and so you think that you think the true freshmen actually can contribute and add to this offense early on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think of the tight ends, I think it's it's going to be some sort of combination of you know, all the four guys that are like vying for spots or auto Tia, Dallen, Bentley, Hunter, Andrews and JJ Buchanan and I think, you know, I think when everything shakes out, I think, you know, the three leading receivers in that room, or the three actually I'll say the three most conductive because I know Hunter has the ability to be you know, all over the field. I'll say that three are going to be It's going to be Dollon, Hunter and JJ. I think are the three biggest contributors from the tight end room at the end of the season. I'm not saying they're going to put up you know, Kinkaid and Keithy numbers, but you know they're going to get there. They're going to do what they need to do, and they're going to have some big plays. I think.
Speaker 2: Everyone's talked about Lander, Barton and Smith Stowte and going over and participating on the offense. Is that is that concerned by the team that maybe there's not enough weapons, there's not enough production there or is it something that really make the team more dynamic?
Speaker 1: Where do you land on that one?
Speaker 3: Interesting you actually asked this. We actually talked about this on our ut Zone podcast that comes out on Monday. But I think, you know, I don't think it has anything to do with the lack of production, or the lack of you know, experienced playmakers, all those sorts of things. I think it just has to do with Beck has said we need to put the best eleven players on the field at any given time, and if Lander and Smith for a certain package, a certain situation, a certain whatever, are part of that best eleven, you gotta put them on the field. I think, you know, Travis Hunter has I think started a shift in college football where you're gonna see more two way players. I'm not saying every team is gonna have like seventy of them or like six of them. I don't know why I said seventy, but you're not gonna have a lot of them, But you know every team might have one or two that you know, is those special situational two way players. I don't see this becoming a thing kind of like you know the Dejon Stanley wheel route we had last year where it was like they worked twice against SUU and they just decided to like run it into the ground and every team could like sniff it from a mile away. I just think it's gonna be situational things. I don't think it has anything to do with, you know, who's available at tight end or who's available at wide receiver. I think it's just like doing everything that this team can to win this year.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of talent, there's maybe not some experience at certain positions of defensive tackle position, cornerback.
Speaker 1: They're looking for a cornerback. What what's what? What?
Speaker 2: What's your sense on who's going to emerge in those those battles there and who.
Speaker 1: Do you like.
Speaker 3: At the outside corner spot opposite Scooby Davis. I've been really bullish on Blake Cotton the UC Davis transfer. Blake has been described as a sponge, you know, and like as a corner. That's something that you really need, especially with how you know Utah runs zone, Utah runs a man, the different things that u Thaugh's asking for you or of you when you play that, and then you add in the added element that you know Morgan Scaley loves, loves and exotic blitz and sometimes that includes the corner blitz and stuff. And so I think Blake is the best option I think, but you know, Donovan Fonders and Rock Calbell both are gonna do everything they can to push for it. J C. Hart, the Auburn transfer to join the team this summer. I could see him somehow, you know, pushing everybody ahead of him. Jac is an insanely fast and insanely smart kid, like track level speed, but also high school valedictorian and has like a four point zero out of high school. So he's someone that I think can just bring the rest of the group along and you know, push everyone else to get better. As for the final d tackle spot, so DT four, basically, I honestly think it's gonna be Carson KAFUSI. You know, he was here for spring. He had a grasp of the offense or the defense, I should say. You know, he's big, six', five good weight. ALREADY i think he'll lock up that deed tackle flour. Spot but by the time the end of the season comes, AROUND i wouldn't be shocked If Poop sapalona has made some sort of impact on the. Team you, know Kid he's a fourth star kid From, hawaii very very very new in his football. Career he's a two time is The hawaii basketball, Player, like very new to. Football but the sheer talent and raw athleticism that that kid has is so fun to. Watch SO i wouldn't be shocked if by you, know at some point this, season you, Know Poo poo does something that just sets everyone on fire and they're so excited about the future with him at the.
Speaker 1: Tackle he has to.
Speaker 2: Play i'll just tell you right, now he has to play because he has the. Name he has to play. LIKE i can't wait to announce that. NAME i can't wait to talk about. Him so please please be the. Guy that's. All that's All i'm asking. For, okay you, know we we've we've been analyzing, this we've been assessing all of.
Speaker 1: This you, know there's a lot of, optimism there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Belief and the optimism is that Coach whittingham has been very successful for a long time and they've had a formula they know that, works and they it looks like the defense pretty stout getting kind of. Excited you, know a lot of, PEOPLE i, mean they talk about this offensive line and they're talking about it around the. Country you, know two first round potential, Drafts Devin, dampier you, know newcomer to The big twelve type of. Conversations so we're getting some, hype there's getting, there there's you, know it's not, like oh, Yeah, utah they're.
Speaker 1: Toast. Okay SO i want you to be honest with.
Speaker 2: ME i want you to really put take the rose colored glasses off and really honestly give me what your gut tells you about this team this. Year are they? Pretenders are they? Contenders do they have a? Shot where is this team really this?
Speaker 3: Year If Devin dampier stays, healthy And i've said this for the last six months over on your, zone If Devin dampier stays healthy And utah has a true past game this, SEASON i could see them going ten and. Two but on the flip, SIDE i could also see them going nine and. Three there's a couple of games That i'm kind of, like, YEAH i don't know How i'm, feeling you, Know but if If devin stays, HEALTHY i think THAT i think nine and three to ten and two is WHERE i Think utah goes because this defense is just so good you, know there's a lot of weapons on, offense AND i fully expect That Jason beck is going to get everyone to give their fullest and give everything they have to this offense this. Year AND i think THAT i just think that that's you, KNOW i THINK i, HONESTLY i honestly think that the last two, years with injuries and, EVERYTHING i think is gonna be like a blip in the past by the time that the season's. OVER i, mean if but If devin gets If devin goes, down god, FORBID i think you, know you're probably talking six and six.
Speaker 2: Maybe Uh, so who are they If devin stays?
Speaker 1: Healthy who are the two games That utah.
Speaker 3: Loses i've gone back and forth between some sort of combination Of Arizona, State Kansas, state And Texas. Tech it's some sort of combination of those three in my in my, OPINION i know a lot of people are, like, Well Texas tech, has you, know all those, transfers how are they gonna mesh and? Stuff but also, like you, Know Texas tech spent all this money to, win so you, know you always have you got to. GIVE i just, think until proven, OTHERWISE i Think tech is just one of those games that you know stands. Out Arizona state's kind of the same. Way they spent a, lot but also they Lost Camps gataboo and a couple of other really key pieces of this. Offense so, again how are they gonna? Respond did they reload what's going on with? Them and then? Came The state is just always one of those teams that's going to be in contention and in. Conversation AND i just Think Avery johnson is is a good, quarterback and he has good weapons around him that make him highly. Successful and SO i think that those are the three THAT i keep coming back. To i've heard people Say, BAYLOR i don't know About baylor Because Dave randa teams are either insanely hot or they're insanely, cold and SO i just that one's another one Where i'm, LIKE i DON'T i don't have a good read, Currently AND i think as soon as we start playing actual football it'll be kind of easier to figure out where some of these teams. Sit but as of right, Now i'm just kind of like this is just looking on, paper it's some sort of combination Of Arizona, State Texas, tech And Kansas.
Speaker 2: STATE uh and all those games are in Tot. Lakes that's. Interesting that's very.
Speaker 3: Instant, YEAH i, know, YEAH i, GOT i, GOT i, GOT i. GOT i got told. That they were, like why are you saying you're talking to lose three of their home, Games AND i, SAID i don't. Know i'm JUST i didn't even look at home versus a. WAY i was just.
Speaker 2: Looking at who They're it was just your, gut, right it's just telling you, Something so go with, it all.
Speaker 1: Right, sammy thank you so. Much always a, pleasure and enjoy the rest of your day on your.
Speaker 2: Weekend thank. You all, right there you have, it good. STUFF i love That. Sammy, man she's she's all. In like she's LIKE i watched More New mexico tape THAN i cared.
Speaker 1: To SO i love. IT i LOVE i LOVE i love the all in. Attitude