Speaker 1: In today's episode, we look at why Mumbai had to pump more than four thousand crore leaders of drinking water into the sea and whether the city could have stored or reused it. We also talk about an Air India flight from Foke to Delhi where sudden turbulence left seventeen passengers and crew members injured. But we begin today by talking about how the RSS is now planning a major outreach effort aimed at gen z Hi. I'm Atchasharma and you're listening to three Things the Indian Express new show. RSS chief Mohun Bagbat is set to address nearly two thousand teenagers tomorrow at the Nita Mukishambani Cultural Center, where he'll be inaugurating the India International Movement to Unite Nations fifteenth Anniversary Conference. Timing matters here. This comes just weeks after the Cocro Junta parties protests over the alleged NEAT paper leak grew into a wider student led agitation and culminated into the resignation of Union Education Minister that Remindri Putan. The event will bring together students between the ages of fifteen and nineteen from more than one hundred cities, which the BJP and RSS insiders have described as the song's most significant outreach to gen Z and Jen Alpha since the protests that had exposed what senior leaders now privately acknowledge as a widening disconnect with young people.
Speaker 2: The question is why RSS is agreed for that.
Speaker 1: That's the Indian express is shubhangi Kupre.
Speaker 2: Now there are two things. From one perspective, were the understanding that I got when I spoke to several people in BJP and other right wing outfits. This risis puts it like it's an ongoing exercise. It's not that, you know, the risis doesn't interact with people. They have held similar exercises in the past, but here we can be sure that, you know, the developments that took place at Genter Mandel and the ramifications of that protest across the country has somewhere rattled the ruling BJP, not only in Delhi but also across the states that they have the government and they're ruling. And obviously the BJP is now trying to walk out, you know, various methods like how to kind of counter but they don't want to be seen countering, you know, with just from political platforms, so they're also using this kind of a strategy. They have a multiprong strategy to address this issue, to neutralize the anger, the unrest amongst the generation next. And I think one of the platforms they have chosen or one of the method or model they have chosen is to kind of involve the rses and when the arts Is chief interacts with the generation next gen Z and zen Far, it's also to give a larger message that look we here's the organization. The BJP's ideological mentors are also engaged in the exercises of uh you know, reaching out to the generation next.
Speaker 1: Now, at the height of the protests, Mohun Bagworth had said that the younger generation cannot be dealt with through orders or dictation, but through discussion, affection and reason.
Speaker 2: And not only that, even Hosbal, he was a General Secretary and second in command in the arrisis, he also spoke of how the education system should evolve and you know, use different methods to kind of you know, reach out to the students and just the concerns and again join General Secretary Atu Limeh. He also addressed the youth the Kilbarte with that de Punish, which is a right wing students organization. And you know he analyzed this old protest cockroage and the party protests. He said it was looking for an alternative political front. The left organizations had hijacked this protest and they were trying to exploit this protest using the students to provide an up to evolve an alternative political front or given alternative politics.
Speaker 1: Now, what makes Bugbert's rule especially important is that the RSS usually does not respond to political crisis with immediate public intervention.
Speaker 2: So you know, in a short span of say two weeks or less than two weeks, you know, three top RSS leaders speaking on this itself was unprecedented because generally, whenever situation unfolds, even a very major policy decisions, the RSIs takes his own time to respond. They generally don't in this national discourse, so they keep themselves away, they maintain that distance. But here in this case, what we noticed all top three RSS leaders, you know, they have kind of come out with statements, They've engaged their own career into this and with a lot of cautiousness, warning and you know what should be done and what they can do. I think that itself shows how seriously they have also taken and they're willing to come forward and you know, try to work with BJP or independently, you know, try their own ways and methods or use their own style to address this issue, which from a social point of view in that sense.
Speaker 1: And that reaction is now being viewed as an important marker should Hunki says. According to BJP insiders, it triggered introspection within the organization.
Speaker 2: You know, rs is from what it used to be in the past and what it is today at present. There's also a paradigm shift. You know, Initially till say ninety mid nineties, they always chose to be working or operating in a very closed door manner or rather you know, or not come before the media even if they had to. It used to be always behind the kind of hero scenes or not to get not based. But I think gradually they also realized the power of media or they also realized that, you know, the organizations have some kind of channel, you know, where they engage people from divers field and media was one of the important segments in that sense. And this year specifically, they have been very proactive when it comes to engaging people from different diverse field and divers segments and communities. It's also the centenary celebrations that's undergoing. But instead of celebrating in a conventional method or term as we understand celebrations, what they've done is they have tried to hold series of interactions or dialogues with different segments of people, two different platforms. And I think in this current context, what the b sense is that this kind of agitation which took place a gunder Monther, was beyond the expectations of the BJP and BJP being a ruling party both at Center and in mah Rashtra and in several states across the country. I think they never anticipated the anger or the protests to this degree. I think the ruling party is into some extent sensing that yes, a sizeable section of the youngsters, the generation next is upset with them, is very restless, is very angry with them, and it's not to do only with the exam reforms, but also there are other issues like unemployment and other things which has you know, brought this anger in them.
Speaker 1: Trabhani says that since then, the SONG and the BJP have begun reviewing their youth outreach with the Akilbart with Harti Parashad and Bart Janta Yama being asked to set up engagement with students.
Speaker 2: Now, the whole point is the two steam of thoughts like whether it should be you know, they should counter it from the political platform, which they are anyway doing from day one, that is the party spokespersons in respective states and at Center also are kind of using their own a kind of catchphrases or also trying to show like how much the government has done and how this is a left oriented or left driven or or whatever. They have come up with new analogy, you know, like this is a protest which is according to them, is you know, political and it's you know, the students are being messlit. I mean, that's what they say. But in the heart of art, they also know that this is it's not so simple.
Speaker 1: And so the SUNG has sharpened its youth focus.
Speaker 2: Soon after this protest to Jenta Manta, they were series of meetings with the youth wing and they were called and there was series of meetings in their headquarters in Maarashtra as well across the states wherever BJP is a ruling party and even at Center I gather and they are there also being given a de in it kind of row, you know, the women wing of BGP that is also being going to be used for this kind of reach out programs. And apart from that, the BGP is also having a week long Tirraga rally from August tenth. So this Tirraraga rally they had last year also where they gave the slogan he tianga every house should have a national flag. But what makes it different this time is the focus will be on reaching out to the generation next Zenz and zen Alpha. See the concern or the reason why the right wing or RSS and BGP is taking this issue so seriously is also because they realized that the first time voters that's eighteen plus onwards. If you look at the Zenz and then Alpha together, they constitute something like up to thirty percent of the demographic population of the country. So that's a huge population, you know, so when this vote bank, it also becomes like a vote bank for the BGP. And in the last elections also they had made a lot of efforts to kind of reach out to the first time voters, you know, always you know, the issue that at that time was you know, like how they wanted to project development and you know, well being of their career, being of their future. So when the generation exactly the same voter when they are questioning you right now, it has some way shaken them and they will do everything possible to kind of you know, negate or neutralize this kind of anger and undrest in the coming years. Because next general elections are in twenty twenty nine, they still have a lot of time in marst Also the Assembly election is twenty twenty nine, but I don't think they're going to wait for that.
Speaker 1: And Shrew Bunki says that there are going to be multiple ways in which they are going to approach this.
Speaker 2: So if you look at last two weeks development here in Marsh to Chief Minister they win Referdnavis held a meeting with the cabinet and he also decided to launch anti drug campaign. Now, anti drug campaign is a social cause which nobody is going to counter or protest a question, because it's a very very good cause obviously, so but through this campaign they will also try to reach out to the generation, to the schools, the colleges and you know involved them in this drive against drug abuse. And you know his statement that they cannot be any tolerance for drug abuse in ma Restra or country. And I think if you look at last two days ago, I think just after marsht announced it, even the Prime Minister's a message was an anti drug abuser, you know, the appeal to the youths. So they will use various issues now, you know, which are very specific and targeted towards gen Z and zen Alpha. And beyond these issues, beyond the you know, the course corrections in the state government, the political forums, they will also have the battery of their own youngsters. They will also be trained and will be sensitized to kind of you know, how to go about and reach out to the generation.
Speaker 1: Next and next week talk about Mumbai pushing over four thousand corore liters of drinking water into the sea last month. Over a span of just eight days, Mumbai received nearly nine hundred mm of rainfall, which is more than the city's average rainfall for the entire month of July. Following this massive amount of rainfall, the BMC's nineteen operational pumping station had to pump over four thousand core liters of water that could have been used for drinking into the Arabian Sea. That's roughly the equivalent of six thousand Olympic sized swimming pools. This amount of water could have met Mumbai's water needs for nearly ten days, but it turns out this played a crucial role in preventing the city from drowning. Now, this incident raises a fundamental question. Why can't a city like Mumbai, which receives such heavy rainfall every year, store or reuse this water instead of letting it flow to the sea. So to understand what happened, why the water had to be pumped out, and whether there are alternatives, Michael Nahara Kananda spoke to the Indian Expresses p Ti Pacharya, who reported on the story for the newspaper.
Speaker 2: Prati, can you begin by telling us what happened?
Speaker 3: How did Mumbai end up releasing nearly ten days' worth of drinking water into the sea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So we all know that Mumbai is known for deceiving heavy monsoon rain every year, right, so this year we have seen intense rainfall between June thirty and July seven, and during this seven eight day period, the city recorded eight hundred and ninety eight millimeters of rainfall, which is much more than the city's monthly average for the month of July. So during this time, Mumbai has nineteen operational pumping stations, which you know pushes this floodwater into the sea. So during this seven eight day period, this pumping stations come like altogether, this nineteen pumping stations.
Speaker 5: Pushed four two hundred and ninety.
Speaker 4: Chroal litters of water into the Arabian Sea and the creeks around the city. So this two hundred and ninety coroal litters which were pushed into the sea is equals to the city's daily water requirement for nearly ten eleven days, and it is the combined capacity of eight pow legs. You know, Powell Leg is a lake in like Mumbai, So the capacity of a Powell leg is five hundred and forty five roll litters and this hole, the total water pumped out equates to the combined storage capacity of eight power legs. So basically the water that has been pumped out of the city is the floodwater, the rain water that comes and that accumulates in the city.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but why was the water released instead of being stored. Was this a planned decision or more like an emergency response?
Speaker 4: No, so basically in Mumbai, there is no proper methodology or I would say mechanism in place that is used for you know, storing rainwater. I mean there is one holding tank in the other in parale so I think that holding tank has a capacity to hold around three coroll liters of water, the existing holding tank that we have in the other So at present, the city does not have an infrastructure, you know, not to hold this rainwater or to like catch this rainwater within the city. I mean there are small boroers, there are small you know underground kind of tanks or underground catchment areas, but there is no proper infrastructure that can hold this, like such a huge quantum of rainwater that accumulates.
Speaker 5: On the city's surface.
Speaker 4: Therefore, to prevent the city from rating submerge and to prevent the water from falling like on the sea, this water gets channeled out to the Arabian Sea through dewatering pumps and pretep.
Speaker 3: As a city, how does Mumbai get its drinking water? What is the mechanism there?
Speaker 4: Okay, so Mumbai being an island city, we are surrounded by the sea from three sides, right like the Arabian Sea is there in the east, west and the south. In the eastern side there is also a creek. I mean it is not just the Arabian Sea. In overall, there is a Thani creek, there is a Washi creek, so there are creek waters. So basically the seawater only enterns into the creek. And we know that seawater is aligned and so it is not fit for drinking or portable usage or agricultural usage. So therefore, as a result, the city gets its portable water from seven lakes.
Speaker 5: These lakes are situated.
Speaker 4: In Thane, in Nashik and in Palgar, so these are the like satellite towns.
Speaker 5: Like on this lakes there are the reservoirs.
Speaker 4: Or dams that have been built, and so the seven lakes are called like the Tulsi, we are Batsa, Tansa upper Modaksa. So these are seven lakes. So what happens every year during the monsoon the catchment area of this lakes gets filled and the water from this catchment area is supplied to Mumbai throughout the year through pipelines and after they're filtered in a filtration plant. Therefore, the city is entirely dependent on these lakes and the seven lakes were built within a period of one fifty years and that is why the city doesn't have any natural source of in built water system and so we are completely dependent on the seven lakes for our daily water supply.
Speaker 3: So, like you mentioned, there was a period of very heavy rain. So how does Mumbai's dams and reservoir system operate during such periods?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, like I said, that the catchment area of this dams gets filled during the rains and after all these dams reaches its full capacity to one hundred person capacity, they start to overflow, following which you know, the water, the surplus water is not being stored. So for example, the upper Vaydnia can hold two point two lack million liters of water in total, the Middle.
Speaker 5: Vinia can hold its one point.
Speaker 4: Seven three lack million litters in total and the Modoc Sugar can hold one point two lack million litters of water in total. So what happens these three dams, They form the most important you know what a supply system, which is called the pats Wyn system. So these three dams are located in an elevation where upper wa is at the highest point. After that there is a middle and at the last point there is a Moduc sugar. So what happens Once Upper gets filled, the supplus water from Upper Na falls into Middle and once this two dams are failed, the supplus water from this two dams falls into Moduk sugar. And it's only after when these three dams are reaches their full capacity the supplus water falls into the river or falls into the creek and they gets washed away.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but would this water have been diverted or stored elsewhere or was releasing it the only option? Would rainwater harvesting have been implemented somehow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that is what the experts are saying, that there is a need for rainwater harvesting. For example, I mean, the BMC is also building a two hundred mld you know, project to catch the additional supplus water that flows from one of the legs, which.
Speaker 5: Is VirD and that is located in Mumbai.
Speaker 4: And through this project, the BMC aims to capture around two hundred million liters every day of water. But the officials say that this is very less. I mean, this is not even one percent of the total water that is supplied to the city. Because Mumbai has a demand of four thousand, three hundred.
Speaker 5: Million liters of water daily, of which the BMC is able to you know, supply around.
Speaker 4: Three thousand, nine hundred thousand, eight hundred emlit So there is already a deficit of four hundred emility every day. So the maximum capacity of water that can be caught at the rd leg is.
Speaker 5: Around two hundred emility. That is there.
Speaker 4: And apart from this, the BMC is in the plan of you know, constructing eight hundred bioswells. So bioswells are vegetated depressions that capture and filter like rainwater or you know stormwater into the ground can allows it to parcolate underneath the surface. So by capturing this water, now the BMC can you know improve the groundwater table of Mumbai underwater table just go groundwater table, the water table work there. So the BMC can improve that for Mumbai because being an island city which is very close to the same, Mumbai has are very poor.
Speaker 5: Water levels when it comes to ground level because the groundwater is a saline and they're very close to the sea and everything.
Speaker 4: So by that way they can you know, improve the groundwater level. But there is no proper mechanism in place through which you can catch this rainwater, you can hold this rainwater and you can make it useful for your future purposes.
Speaker 3: And what are the possible challenges that the city can face in accomplishing this?
Speaker 4: So, for example, creating an underground holding facility is very expensive. I mean the three crore liter I mean underground tank that we are speaking about that was constructed in Dadar, it cost it around one hundred and thirty rods. In comparison, like if we construct a three hundred roll liters, it would cost at least two thousand crews excluding operation and maintenance. So the upkeep of these facilities is very expensive.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's how it is.
Speaker 3: And the deep how crucial could this be for a city like Mumbai that, apart from heavy rainfall, also faces water shortages.
Speaker 4: So basically the experts say they're storing this rainwater through rainwater harvesting structures or recharging bore wells could significantly strengthen the city's water security because if we make this natural kind of bore wells orrainwater harvesting systems, you can catch these water and you know this rainwater is not impure, I mean it may not be fit for drinking or portable usage, but you can still use it for industrial usage. So if you use this kind of rainwater and all the supplus water for portable usage, you don't have to supply water from this lake to industries. So the dependency of these industries on the seven legs which supply portable water to Moivile reduce. So in a way, the proportion of water that gets supplied for drinking water it will in So in a way, storing rainwater and supplying for industrial use or even for portable in storing rainwater can augment the improved their Mumbai's water security by a large margin. But again the administration say that this process is very expensive.
Speaker 1: And in the end we talk about an Air India flight from Fuke to Delhi that suddenly lost around three hundred feet in altitude after encountering turbulence, leaving seventeen people injured in a mid airscare. Thirteen passengers and four crew members were injured aboard the flight on Tuesday. The airbus eight three twenty nevertheless landed safely at Delhi Airport at around eleven am and everyone on board was able to disembark. As reported by the Union Express's devanch Metal and Sukulpharma. The injured would take into the airport's medical center for assessment. Air India said that no serious injuries had been reported and described the incident as a brief turbulence related event that caused a momentary change in altitude. However, an official from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation, which is investigating the incident, said the pilot had reported a severe injury to one cab and crew member. Now passenger accounts offer a sense of how frightening those moments were. One passenger said the aircraft began rocking suddenly around an hour and a half after takeoff and continued doing so for two to three minutes. The daughter of another injured passenger said her sister was thrown into the air from her seat while her mother struck her head. She also described seeing a passenger with blood on his face, and said several people believe the aircraft might crash. The flight had departed foke It at eight forty one am local time. Erindia said it was cooperating fully with the authorities and that passengers and crew requiring medical attention had been taken for precautionary care. Now Turbulence itself is common in aviation and can occur near airports because of strong winds, inside storm systems, because of rising or descending air, or along the edges of jet streams. Most encounters are relatively minor, but sudden and severe turbulence can cause injuries, particularly when passengers or crew are not secured. Serious injuries remain uncommon and fatalities are rare. Still, the DCC investigation is now expected to examine the exact conditions encountered by the aircraft, the reported altitude laws and the injuries sustained during the incident. You were listening to Three Things by the Indianet Express. Today's show was edited and mixed by Sarish Bavar and produced by Anaharikananda and me I'sasharma. If you like the show, do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcasts. You can also recommend it to someone you think may like it, with a friend or in your family. This is the best way for people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express Podcasts, alright to us at podcast at Indian Express dot com.