Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on.
Speaker 2: The iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Actor Val Kilmer has died of pneumonia at age sixty five in LA. His daughter, Mercedes Kilmer too, told The New York Times he was diagnosed with throat cancer and twenty fourteen later recovered. One of his earliest roles was nineteen eighty four's Top Secret, a parody of spy movies, in which he plays an American rocker who stumbles into an East Germany reunification plot. In nineteen ninety one, Kilmer played rocker Jim Morrison in The Doors, following year start as an FBI agent investigating a murder on a South Dakota Indian reservation and Thunderheart. I'm sorry, but did I eat a brain tumor for breakfast?
Speaker 2: I mean, when when.
Speaker 3: You're missing arguably five, what are you?
Speaker 4: More?
Speaker 2: Movies?
Speaker 4: Wrote?
Speaker 3: Very important than that?
Speaker 2: Who wrote this? Who I wrote this?
Speaker 4: I remember today we were going to be nice and and it was going to be a better day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happier day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to walk in every I was.
Speaker 1: Just telling you every day I have this internal dialoge where I say today, I'm not going to be a D.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be a nice person, right.
Speaker 1: And then and then I read something like this, and I think, how can you not be a D in a world full of d's that would write and oh, b it up like this?
Speaker 3: And the first thing you told me is they need to wipen my teeth.
Speaker 1: No, you were looking into my purse for something, and I said what would you like in there? And I saw a crest white strip and I said, would you like to whiten your teeth today?
Speaker 2: There's other options and all.
Speaker 3: So I wasn't pawing through your purse.
Speaker 1: There are other activities in there if you so choose.
Speaker 2: I think I've got a nail file.
Speaker 3: Oh great, wow.
Speaker 4: Coming up at eleven thirty, we're going to be talking with Justin Warsham. This was an interesting discussion I had with my wife last night. If your kid is dating somebody, right in our case, it would be say our son is dating a girl, but the girl's parents don't want her dating. What responsibility do we have to tell them is if any is that your case right now?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no no, I'm just saying, but just to illustrate what the kind of the gelemma that some people would have.
Speaker 3: So we'll talk with Justin Worsham about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm curious.
Speaker 1: I have a friend who has a son and the girlfriend is over at the house, but the parents have never met. And I'm thinking, what parents of a girl allows the girl at fifteen to go over to the boyfriend's house and you haven't met the parents yet. But again, I'm not a parent, so I don't know how thin you're spread and how that works. And if you just know your kid and you trust your kid and that's all fine, I think I'd be like an East Germany prison.
Speaker 2: If I had kids.
Speaker 4: But if nothing else, if nothing else, you let to use that version of it. My daughter, if she's dating a guy, you let that guy know, Hey, just so you know, I'm on the phone with your mom or your dad or whatever, just to say, hi, introduce ourselves if you don't actually go over and you know, meet them, or something like that.
Speaker 2: I'm fascinated by that. I'm also horrified.
Speaker 1: I got a text message from one of my girlfriend's daughters yesterday.
Speaker 2: Hey, Auntie Shannon actually and she.
Speaker 1: Like abbreviates everything because she's fifteen. Actually, don't tell my mom, but I'm pregnant and I don't know who the father is. I went to a bonfire last week, and I wrote back, haha, April fool.
Speaker 3: I went to a bonfire last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, right right?
Speaker 1: I was like, haha, April fools. But that's terrifying, even though it's a joke. And then today it was the next one was, no, seriously, don't tell my mom. I'm right, okay, what do you want me to do about that?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Does it feel different today?
Speaker 2: I mean you look outside and it's what do you mean? Does it feel different?
Speaker 3: Well, today's Liberation Day. I don't know if, but liberation.
Speaker 2: Doesn't start till what one pm our time.
Speaker 3: That's that's why the announcement is coming out.
Speaker 4: But I was supposed to started twelve oh one, nine hours ago, or of hours ago.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about how it's impossible to separate Trump from branding.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's a master brander. It's what he's done.
Speaker 1: The Trump Tower, the Trump name, the gold, all the things, the Apprentice, You're Fired, all the things that he has made money off of. He's really great at it. He's really great at promoting, at teasing, at making productions out of things, the pageantry, the pump, the circumstance.
Speaker 2: He's a master at that.
Speaker 1: And he's doing that with the whole make America Great anything again. You know, it's like it's classic branding. Make America great again, make America healthy again, make America wealthy again.
Speaker 2: It's like all these little.
Speaker 1: Branding mechanisms for the one big Trump brand, right.
Speaker 4: Which stakes Trump Wine, Trump University, right, Trump Water with.
Speaker 1: The presidency thing with you know, with all the different machinations.
Speaker 4: Of that, the yeah, takeoffs of the same core thing. One of the issues that we had talked about leading up to this is that this, like other threat tariff threats and other negotiations that he has had to go through, he starts with an aggressive position and then kind of comes back from that. And there are people who are saying this is almost inevitable that he's got to come back from what would have been the worst case scenario. So we'll talk a little bit about that when we come back.
Speaker 6: Great you're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Corey Booker stopped eating.
Speaker 1: On Friday and stops drinking water or anything on Sunday in that entire time, twenty four hours or what have you, he did not go to the bathroom.
Speaker 2: That is fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought he did.
Speaker 4: I did too, because it didn't occur to me that he did not. One of the things that happens in Philips. This wasn't technically a filibuster. This was just a long speech. He wasn't preventing any legislation from coming to the floor of the Senate. But one of the things that he still gets credit for the twenty five hours, twenty five and five minutes or whatever it was, he gets credit for the whole thing. Even though he's not the one who spoke all the time. He can entertain questions from other senators, and obviously other senators would come in and basically give him vocals a break for a few minutes while they spouted on about whatever politics people things do. But yeah, I thought that in those moments he'd just like sneak off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that that that philipbustering or not that there were times.
Speaker 2: For that to be allowed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is that is something I've been saying that the Democrats need to do something they need a spark, they need some sort of mobilization, they need some sort of gravitas.
Speaker 4: And we'll see what they do with this. But it certainly got a lot of attention, and I do have a weird I just don't think it's the right attention. We'll talk about when we get into swamp watch. But I'm not sure that this was exactly the thing. It's going to end up being what they.
Speaker 2: It might not be right, but it's something.
Speaker 3: It is something.
Speaker 1: It's a show of caring, it's a show of a pulse. I guess I should say.
Speaker 4: It's also one of those things where Corey Booker acknowledges. The last the record that he broke was strom Thurman trying to prevent the Civil Rights Act from nineteen fifty seven from being passed. So he didn't want that stink right on the record for the longest speech in the.
Speaker 3: Senate, Gary Shannon, come on, give me a break.
Speaker 4: When you were a tween, did your parents know who the heck you were hanging out with?
Speaker 2: No, God, I don't think so that's why I would go to prison. You're a good parent, you raised him right. They're gonna make good choices, no end of story.
Speaker 4: That's that's no, that's such a no no no, no, no no. You can raise them right. They will make wrong choices. The question is what they do then in those wrong choices situation.
Speaker 1: Really bad choices that have nothing to do with my parents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's eleven thirty. Eleven thirty is when we talk about that. So Liberation today, Liberation day today. President Trump declared that this is going to be our liberation Day. He's trying to enact some trade policies to emphasize this mission that he's talked about many times since twenty fifteen, This America First policy that he's got saying that we want to end the American reliance on goods that are made overseas and other countries that take advantage of us. When it comes to trade agreements, reciprocal trade agreements, the question is what do these tariffs look like? They're supposed to be in place right now, and we just don't know what they do are.
Speaker 1: Part of the problem is they're really not easy to just.
Speaker 2: Lay out. They're very complex right when it come.
Speaker 1: I mean, just take the auto industry alone and the fact that it's not as cut and dry and saying cars that are built here or built somewhere else, are going to be coming with a tariffs. It's because we have a global economy, which is why I've said this feels like we're harkening back to the nineteen fifties of by American and that whole push, which is easy to say, but the way that things are made and the way that we do business with the globe these days, it's not very easy to just say a tariff is put on this import or export because we're commingled. So the cars have parts made in Mexico, in Canada, in Asia, in America. Does that how is that going to work logistically?
Speaker 4: Well? And that's why, like I said yesterday that the Wall Street Journal was saying that the trade team in the White House was still trying to their word coalesce around whatever policy the President had decided upon. He said he decided on something Monday night. No details about it all yesterday, but basically sort of the consensus is there's two paths that he's looking at. One of them would be a twenty p general tariff on anything imported into the United States. The other path would be reciprocal tariffs, which means if France puts a twenty five percent tariff on basketballs made in the United States, then we will put a twenty five percent tariff on basketballs that come from France. The thing about that, and that gets into your point that it's very complicated. You're talking item by item, figuring out what tariff exists based on which country it comes from, and then placing that same tariff for stuff that goes the other way.
Speaker 2: You ever see The Devil Wears Prada?
Speaker 1: No, Well, you're gonna think this is some sort of woman reference, but it's not. It's part of the whole point of the movie. Miranda is the editor of the Vogue and she's the Anna Win Tour of the movie, and she is famous for being very successful and the boss and just expecting things to get done. And at one point in the movie she says to her assistant, where if you're her assistant, you're going to write your ticket. You can do whatever you want in publishing and in the fashion world.
Speaker 2: Get me the new Harry Potter book.
Speaker 1: Well, the New Harry Potter book has not been released, it has been written, it's not even at the publisher yet. And it's like, just get it done, Just get my kids the new Harry Potter book, and it's like, but how am I supposed to go about that?
Speaker 2: It's like, I don't care, just make it happen.
Speaker 1: Trump has the same kind of attitude when he wants things done. And if you watch The Apprentice, you saw that that's what he was twenty years ago. That's why he's always been. It's how he chooses people around him. Just get it done. I want this to happen. I don't know, don't ask me questions, figure it out. And that's just the way that he does business. And so I think that when they say that the team is trying to coalesce around, they're trying to figure out how to get it done, what he wants done, and how to present that to him in look it's done fashion, when there's no possible way that you can make all this come together in a matter of months, let alone years.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the.
Speaker 4: One of the people who suggests that this thing is probably going to end up being backpedaled is Nigel Green.
Speaker 3: He's chief executive of a devere group.
Speaker 4: He has said that Trump would be forced to backtrack because of these things. Right, Yeah, He's made these tariffs, the cornerstone of the current trade agenda, but that it might These are again Nigel Green's words, it will crack under the weight of its own contradictions. Markets crave clarity, Businesses need stability. A backpole, a back pedal is not only likely, it's almost inevitable within six to twelve months. To that end, there was a comment yesterday from Caroline Levitt from the White House. A reporter asked, have other countries come to the table to start this negotiation.
Speaker 6: We're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty well.
Speaker 1: Just hours away from what President Trump is calling the rebirth of a nation, new tariffs rolling out against Canada, Mexico, China, and the EU at four o'clock Eastern time one o'clock our time. Trump says that these are places that have taken advantage of the US for decades, and he expects five trillion dollars in US investments after the tariffs take effect. Wall Street bracing for the full impact, and as you mentioned, I believe that was it in MarketWatch where they were talking to experts who said that stability is very key for a healthy economy and a healthy Wall Street and there's one school of thought of opening with tariffs of this magnitude, but there's an equal school of thought of yes, but those are going to have to be rolled back or amended drastically to achieve that stability that makes for a healthy economy.
Speaker 4: And you've got the estimation that it would bring in six hundred million dollars annually right, that the terriffs would end up being positive for us to the tune of the six hundred million, and they've said six trillion over a decade. That's if you absolutely put your pedal to the metal and it's the highest tariffs you can get. It doesn't appear that that's going to be the way it goes, simply because that's not the way these negotiations often take place. Now, that uncertainty that we're talking about that usually is a drain on the markets. As of right now that all is up one hundred and forty points, I mean, that's not the only indication, but there is some amount of confidence, it looks like going into all of this.
Speaker 2: So you were going to play Kristen.
Speaker 4: Levitt, Yes, yeah, this is from Catherine Levitt from Mathrenscuse me?
Speaker 3: Is that right? Now? You have me confused.
Speaker 2: I'm probably screwing it up. I'm bad with names.
Speaker 3: The White House Press Secretary love it.
Speaker 4: She was asked by a reporter yesterday, Carolyn, Carolyn, there's a lot of words in there.
Speaker 2: They both stirred it up. I said, Chris, and you said, Catherine, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Somewhere in the middle there, she was asked, are there other countries that are coming to the table knowing that this threat of terroriffs exists? How many companies are mutually talking like the US to her countries are mutually talking to the US to lower terrorists.
Speaker 2: I don't have a specific number, but I can tell you there have been quite a few countries that have called the president and have called his team in discussion about these terrors.
Speaker 4: So that's the way he's done this. He did this with tariffs against Mexico and Canada. He did this with steel and aluminium imports. The thing is, when we have no idea what he's going to say at one o'clock today, that's when this news conference is supposed to be, where he's going to lay out exactly what he has decided. They've said that this plan will encourage businesses in the United States to set up shops here in the United States, to bring jobs back to the United States, to set up the manufacturing and increase manufacturing capacity here in the United States. All of these things genuinely and generally are positive. They'd be positive for the United States. But it doesn't happen in the snap of a finger.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't happen over certainly not over a presidential term. You know, we spoke with someone yesterday who said, yeah, this is one of those things could be great for America, but you're going to have to commit to it for ten, twenty, thirty forty years. This is not something that one president can put in motion and then it just happens. You've got to have the buy in for every other administration down the line. And that's my question. He doesn't have that right, So what is the play here.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know.
Speaker 1: That there are people who have yelled at me because I've said he cares about himself, and they've yelled back at No, he cares about the country. And this certainly plays into that argument of he really does put the country before himself, because on its face, this is a grave political gamble where you could put the economy in complete dumpster town with inflation and everything, we're we're not even out of COVID, we're not out of all of the inflation that we' s out in the waning days of Biden's years.
Speaker 2: We're not out of that yet.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna plunge us further in with this because of the skyrocketing prices from everything at the market to the cars, to everything that page people's four O one.
Speaker 2: K's and the dumpster as well.
Speaker 1: So it's quite a gamble that's only going to pay off years down the line.
Speaker 2: So what's the play? Is my question?
Speaker 1: Like, what is his goal here? If you don't have the buy in for future administration?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm assuming, and this may be the an incorrect assumption, but if Caroline Levitt is correct, and that's her first name is Caroline. If she's correct, and there are country that are banging the phones right now to talk to this guy, then the announcement that comes at one o'clock could be very much pared down compared to what the threat was originally, where he says we've come to agreements with India, we've come to agreements with Ireland, We've come to agreements and begins to sort of parse out the details about which individual countries have come to the table to negotiate. Maybe again, it's one of those things where even the trade team from within the White House has said they're not quite sure what's going to happen at one o'clock.
Speaker 1: Well, and the other question is is if it's that simple to get other countries to the table and reduce the tariffs that we pay and US as America not getting screwed as much as he says we are, why hasn't that been done.
Speaker 3: For the same thing.
Speaker 4: It's because it's politically, not it's a different audience, but politically on the international scale or the international stage, it doesn't work well with other countries. You're talking about the political capital that he has to have with the consumer within the United States to deal with what could be some hard times now. The international agreements that have to be made to predict, you know, to break these tariffs or to at least lower them, puts US at a disadvantage internationally, or it could endanger those international relations.
Speaker 3: He doesn't care.
Speaker 1: This may be the time then, from what you're saying that he has the political capital here, the feel good vibes for him right now that he can wager that to get these guys internationally to come to the table, reduce their tariffs.
Speaker 2: And then it's a win win.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: He said repeatedly since November that this was his mandate, that this was what reason why he was elected, was to do things like this. Yeah, to move the deal fast and break things. Make the deal good animal news. When we come back, can we do that? I guess what do you mean?
Speaker 3: You guess?
Speaker 2: Is this about the squirrel?
Speaker 3: No, it's about Amy.
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Perfect, I am all about Amy. I was not is looking forward to the squirrel story?
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon will contain Amy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of Amy, I found like handle Amy like a freaking crazy person in a padded room, especially when you hear the question that I was so urgently ready to ask.
Speaker 2: Yes, did you say that the eglypse have been named?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, what are their names?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Wait, we'll then we come back.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: There's a new book out by Joe Biden's former White House chief of staff, some nuggets that are coming out when I get to but before we get to that, Amy King.
Speaker 4: Yes, KFI am six forty dot com slash Wiggle Wiggle.
Speaker 2: You don't need to wiggle, Gary stop, can you stop hard? It's really hard to watch that hard not to wiggle though. It's for the dogs, not for you.
Speaker 5: If you would like to wiggle and wiggle, you can join us for the Wiggle Wagga Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane. It's coming up this weekend. We would love to have you join us. We're putting a team together. We've got like thirty people on the team. And of course we're taking donations. Anything that you can donate five to ten hundred thousand bucks.
Speaker 2: We don't care.
Speaker 5: We want it all because it all goes to help the people at Pasadena Humane do the very incredible work that they do to find homes for animals who don't have a home. And also in the wake of the Eaton fires, they really stepped up and they've saved, you know, like fifteen hundred or more animals. They're still providing boarding for some of the animals for people whose homes were destroyed, so they're just they're like staying in a dog hotel for a while. They've done surgeries, they've treated animals with their little their paws and their faces burned and nursing them back to health and that all takes money, and that's why we're raising money for Pasadena Humane.
Speaker 4: I've seen that there are a whole bunch of big baskets out there too for the raffle. That's those back baskets are pretty incredible. Oh absolutely all for your pet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, from Doctor Marty's has donated some and so we're doing a raffle at the walk location, which by the way is at Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl and it's happening this Sunday. The weather's going to be perfect for it. The event starts at eight. The walk and run is at nine. You can come by the KFI booth pick up an exclusive swag bag and also, for a five dollars donation, you can get your name in for the for some of those baskets that have been put together and they're really great for your pups.
Speaker 4: It starts at eight o'clock is the final registration. Then the walk itself will start at nine. Make sure you take your dog out there for the costume contest coming up at ten thirty.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a lot of people dress up their dogs. It's very cute.
Speaker 3: I would let you rent my dog, but I'm gonna be out of town.
Speaker 1: Oh fine, why are you trying to rent out? Who's gonna buy? Who's gonna pay you to spend time with your dog?
Speaker 2: I love Peter. Would you pay for that?
Speaker 5: You A?
Speaker 2: Uh, that would be weird. Well, I'd take him for a walk.
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: You can't just your legs are way too long. Your dog's not a prostitute, that's true. I would take your dog for a drag.
Speaker 3: You'd have to be one of those people with the dog stroller.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway again KF I am six forty dot com. Slash Wiggle is where you find all the information for the wiggle Waggle Walk and you can join the wake.
Speaker 2: Up join the wake up called wigglers. What are you going to do with your dog when you're gone for the.
Speaker 3: Week and we have a house sitter comes up with him?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Really? Does that house sitter?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: I mean do you trust this person?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Really? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean you very long getting into some serious stuff with the fentanyl with the house setter dye his hair.
Speaker 5: No, would look so cute with a little doggie, mollyh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would do two things.
Speaker 2: Have a girl over. He doesn't get weird with a comforter. He doesn't do that.
Speaker 4: All of those things have been not when you're not here excised from his body, he doesn't have the urges.
Speaker 1: Just because you took off those doesn't mean he still doesn't want to do that.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you it means he doesn't want to do it.
Speaker 2: You don't know that.
Speaker 4: Where do you think the hormone comes from? All?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Coming up next?
Speaker 3: How hot is your urine?
Speaker 2: Damn hot? So hot?
Speaker 3: Gross? Gross?
Speaker 2: It started it.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app