Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do? Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of March tenth, we're continuing with Lost, Season two, Episode twelve, Fire.
Speaker 3: Plus water not and water yeah plus and uh.
Speaker 1: Just going over there all sorts of new ground here in Charlie's life. The flashbacks were, do we learn anything new?
Speaker 3: I guess that he has a niece? Did we know that?
Speaker 2: We probably knew that well from when he was visiting his brother in Australia. We basically learned how his brother got to Australia.
Speaker 3: I guess did we care?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Was that important for us to know? No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was just basically dump on Charlie week.
Speaker 3: It was, and it was rough.
Speaker 1: I mean, because he's despite the fact that he's a complete screw up, he's kind of a likable character. But he just could not do anything right.
Speaker 3: And some of it was dreams. Come on, come on.
Speaker 1: I did like when he said that that Kate see's a horse and nobody says anything, but I see something and it's it's heroine.
Speaker 3: So yeah, which is what we've been saying for weeks.
Speaker 2: Like, can you all like give each other some grace on like see weird stuff?
Speaker 3: Exactly? Everyone, we have to have a campfire.
Speaker 1: Meeting where we discuss we will believe people when they say they see things. And also, does everybody here have a bad family experience?
Speaker 3: Bad bad mom, bad dad, bad brother?
Speaker 1: Raise your hand, Yeah, if your family's messed up, right, See, we have things in common. But man, Charlie could not get a break and is pretty much on the outs now.
Speaker 2: Well, and it left him on a very ominous note.
Speaker 1: Yes it did, I trust that it was on an ominous note. Because of the music, because I could not see anything.
Speaker 3: Oh well, it was darkness, it was quite dark.
Speaker 1: But he but I looked up lost p d Anda said, he pulled his footy over his head.
Speaker 2: He did, he pulled up his hoodie and he just had a very dark look in his eyes.
Speaker 1: So pulling up your hoodie is a universal gesture of menace, right, nothing good can come of that?
Speaker 3: Nope?
Speaker 1: Does you either look like a dummy or a threat, depending on how tight your hoodie is.
Speaker 3: But yeah, poor Charlie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean there's really not much to say.
Speaker 3: I know, Charlie. Move on. Now.
Speaker 1: Do we think that he was sampling his stash or he's just a completely accused, innocent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question, because those.
Speaker 1: Are some pretty florid dreams, right, although it is the island.
Speaker 2: So yeah, because when when Locke went to take them all and put them in the safe for the gun locker.
Speaker 3: Like you just destroy them? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: We might need these mutra plotline, I better tuck them away.
Speaker 2: So I believe there were seven, and at one point there were eight, but.
Speaker 3: Was one taken away at some other point? I guess, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because one was taken at the beginning of the episode when when Locke confronted, right, Charlie's last one himself at that time. That's right, So then I think that accounts for all of them, and he wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Have used but yeah, one, yeah, you can't tell because I mean normally dreaming and sleepwalking and weird behavior might be attributable to that. But also the island, right, so people see things, people dream things. Yeah, it's just it's a free for all. Yes, again, we say, have a talk about this people. How many of us had had weird dream James, raise your hands?
Speaker 3: How many of us have seen things? How many?
Speaker 2: And even he brought up Walt too, like not just the horse, but how many people all won't running?
Speaker 3: Which maybe that was actually Walt at least one, maybe times.
Speaker 1: Who knows who cares at this point, but this was just sort of a bummer of an episode. It was, and especially if you like the character of Charlie, but even if you don't, it's just you know, what do you do when you are sort of in this situation where you all have to be together or bad things will happen and then you get cast out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's he supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Go to go find the others and say, hey, you guys need somebody, or I can play a mean guitar.
Speaker 2: I was going to say he could hang with Anna Lusia, but she now is plotting with Jack. So's she started out as the outcast or she made.
Speaker 3: Herself Yes she did so? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all sorts of teen drama rivalries going on there. Kate and Sawyer looking at hell, Alusie and Jack wondering what's going on with that? And Ana Lucia is saying in that and you know, just it's just like they could be going to Island High School.
Speaker 3: It would fit just perfectly enough of that.
Speaker 1: You guys, come on, you're adults and you could die at any moment, right, Just live your lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, live your lives.
Speaker 2: Putting together an army, that's right.
Speaker 1: You have any time for sex right now anyway, So just just table.
Speaker 3: It, you know. But yeah, they're raising an army.
Speaker 2: To fight against people who have magic instant light torches. So oh, I know how to like creep soundlessly through the jungle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. If they're looking for people desperate enough to get recruited, they should go talk to Charlie.
Speaker 3: What else has he got he's got nothing. Yeah, he's starting.
Speaker 1: To look like cannon fodder right now, send him out, Send him out a scouting mission.
Speaker 3: Maybe the others will take him off your hands. Yeah, but oh me for sater terrible wives all these people had.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, jeez, if the island looks this good, oh well, yeah, parenting wise, can we just also just put out a press release for all parents, do not say to your child ever, under any circumstances.
Speaker 3: You are special love.
Speaker 1: Someday you're going to get us out of here, all of us, you know, enjoy that.
Speaker 3: Piano, honey.
Speaker 1: It comes with the weight of all our responsibility for every member of this family, including your loser big brother.
Speaker 3: But no pressure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just that's just you know, line one of the parent manual.
Speaker 2: And that did happen in the dream, right, I mean, I know.
Speaker 3: It's yes, it's bad. That did happen in the dream. Yes, that's true.
Speaker 1: But I'm getting the impression that it didn't come from nowhere, right.
Speaker 3: Right, There was a reason they was in the dream. Yes, ay, yay, yay. Yeah, that was a pretty trippy dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, suddenly he was an adult, but uh, yikes, and the whole dynamic of Locke and Charlie vis a VI Claire and Aaron is like a step.
Speaker 3: Parent thing, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand that Charlie is not actually Aaron's father and has never been Claire's husband, and he really has no claim whatsoever. But it's a new you know, Aaron has a new daddy and it's hard for the old daddy to deal with and Locke is not making it any easier.
Speaker 3: You sure isn't. Yep. So that was parenting wise, That was uncomfortable, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh I did relate somewhat as a as a parent of kids with special needs who has been through many an IEP meeting and a disagreement with school personnel about various things. When you have a clear vision of how to say the kid, the kid needs this, they need this, I.
Speaker 3: Have done this, and everybody looks at you like you're nuts.
Speaker 1: Right, I have known that feeling, But I have also given that stinky when the school people.
Speaker 3: Say no, they need this, they need this.
Speaker 1: No, no, right, you're crazy. You don't see things the way I see things. So yeah, yeah, people get all sorts of ideas and it's very frustrating to have your idea rejected, and very satisfying to reject the ideas of others. All sorts of dynamics on this island of which I am familiar, right, and statues of Heroin stashed away something to make sure they're.
Speaker 3: The right number.
Speaker 1: I never did walk in my sleep and go harass people and pull my kids over the ocean.
Speaker 3: Trying to steal a baby as well. I went to another country and I took one. But still, yeah, the oh yeah, so not.
Speaker 2: I mean, this Turly thing was quite dominant, you know. I mean they threw in a few tiny scenes of other people, but it really Hurley, Hurley and Libby because a brief moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, that's uh. And there was a little thing dropped there. I can't remember exactly where this goes, but that Curly record.
Speaker 3: The dogs would like a word.
Speaker 1: We watched the episode two and we have things to say.
Speaker 3: What happened to Vincent? When don't we see Vincent? Yeah? Where it's Vincent him? Who's throwing up from him?
Speaker 2: Michael's gone, Walt's gone, Shannon's gone, Like, who's clearing him of the parasites that he for sure has from this place?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh dear, Oh, but herle said something to Libby about like.
Speaker 3: Do we know each other or something like that. I thought Libby said it to him.
Speaker 1: No, Hurley said it to her, and then she was like, oh, you stepped on my foot walking into the plane, except, as lost Pedia points out, she was in the tail of the plane, so he would not have passed. So let's see what is her profession again?
Speaker 3: Psychology? This Hurley had any experience with that, So.
Speaker 2: Everything's connecting everything.
Speaker 1: But in the meanwhile, aren't they cute? Hurley has zero game? Yeah, by trying, she kind of looks like she's got enough for both of them.
Speaker 3: So let me take you by the hand, let me change it to this sexy garment in front of you. It'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Oh well, good for him, I hope. I hope it is good for him because he deserves something.
Speaker 3: Happy. Somebody here deserves something. Please, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's all sorts of comic relief episodes ahead. It'll be Yeah, we'll have funny romance.
Speaker 2: We haven't missed those, you know, we've been having plenty of those, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, nothing but okay, well sorry, well, perhaps the dogs are coming in and saying, wrap it up. There's not that much to say about this. Charlie's a sad sack. He's always been a sad sack. He will continue to be a sad sack. And uh, you know what more needs to be said? Go look for the dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what they're concerned about.
Speaker 1: Possibly next Tuesday we will see Vincent. Let's say next Tuesday we will continue with season two, episode thirteen of Lost, The Long Con.
Speaker 3: Who could this be about? I? Did you hear that Sawyer was a con artist? Have we seen? Have we seen it? Can? It's hard to imagine. What's many?
Speaker 1: And I wonder what sorts of flashbacks we will get from him?
Speaker 3: Move on, people, move on, move on? Yes, hi yay yi.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss a man on the inside. Also a happy fun episode. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram, or on Twitter, where you'll find us at Roundabout Chat, and please visit our Amazon shop at amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.