Speaker 1: When dispatchers in Spokane, Washington answer a.
Speaker 2: 911 call, an urgent cry for help is followed by chaos and screaming on the other end of the line.
Speaker 3: Police respond to a scene where a man lies naked and stabbed.
Speaker 4: A woman stands soaked in his blood, and a third person has vanished, leaving behind a trail of questions and the fractured remains of a night gone horribly wrong. The following is based on official police records, and the footage has never been seen before until now. It's just before 6 a.m. on August 13th, 2020, when the call comes in.
Speaker 5: 911, what are you reporting?
Speaker 1: Hello, um, I'm, um, I'm in the family at my house.
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 5: Ma'am, I can barely hear you.
Speaker 1: What's going on there? Please don't do this to me.
Speaker 5: Ma'am, what is the location?
Speaker 7: Oh, my God.
Speaker 1: Oh, my God.
Speaker 5: Hello, sir.
Speaker 1: Ma'am. Hello, is anyone there? Yes, ma'am. This is 911. Where are you at right now?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Ma'am, are you with him right now? Okay.
Speaker 9: Where is the.
Speaker 1: Person that you stabbed in?
Speaker 2: He ran away?
Speaker 1: Yes, please help. Please hurry.
Speaker 9: He's not doing well.
Speaker 1: I love you. Kaylee, do you know who did this? His name is Edward Martinez. Edward Andrew Martinez.
Speaker 10: And is it your boyfriend that stabbed?
Speaker 9: My boyfriend stabbed my ex-husband. He should hardly breathe.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 10: I really need medical assistance.
Speaker 1: We're getting there, okay?
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: The assailant, 19-year-old Edward Eddie Martinez, has already fled on foot. Officers arrive to find the neighborhood quiet, one pausing on the sidewalk to question nearby residents.
Speaker 6: You guys see anybody take off from here? You guys see anybody run away from here?
Speaker 4: Although officers don't yet realize the horrific scene waiting just inside the house, they're about to witness it firsthand. Still on the phone with Haley, the dispatcher attempts to get more information to help guide them to the residence.
Speaker 5: What color is your house? The house that you're at.
Speaker 4: Come on.
Speaker 5: Help me, Haley.
Speaker 8: Haley, come out front.
Speaker 11: Make yourself known to officers.
Speaker 1: You can. You can, because the sooner you come out, the sooner we can help him.
Speaker 5: Okay, come out front.
Speaker 10: Come on out.
Speaker 1: Who else is in here?
Speaker 9: Who else is in here?
Speaker 1: Where's our victim at? Dog's friendly? Hi, dog.
Speaker 6: Hi, puppy.
Speaker 4: No, it's okay.
Speaker 6: Where's he at?
Speaker 5: Dog's door.
Speaker 3: Dog's door.
Speaker 7: He's in here.
Speaker 9: Dog's door.
Speaker 6: Keep that door open.
Speaker 7: Keep that door open so our artists can come in.
Speaker 10: Spokane police. Spokane police.
Speaker 7: Anybody else in here, man? Yeah, we need mag supplies now.
Speaker 4: 25-year-old Anthony lies nude on the bedroom floor, drenched in blood and barely clinging to life.
Speaker 2: Paramedics rush to Anthony's aid but with little room to work, they quickly ready a gurney to move him outside.
Speaker 12: Meanwhile, an officer attempts to get critical information from Haley about the missing suspect.
Speaker 13: Okay, quickly, I know this is traumatic, and I'm going to have a bunch of questions.
Speaker 6: This is okay. We've got to start with the very basic.
Speaker 9: He's not from here. He doesn't know the area very well. His name is Edward Andrew Martinez.
Speaker 3: He's from Sacramento, California.
Speaker 6: Okay. Where was he last seen?
Speaker 9: He was begging me to come out with him. I was in the bedroom holding him.
Speaker 6: Come out where?
Speaker 9: He begged me to take him somewhere.
Speaker 6: He didn't grab the cars.
Speaker 9: He begged me to drive him somewhere.
Speaker 6: Where did he go?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 3: The only place he knows is J & K, liquor up.
Speaker 6: Last time you saw him, what was he wearing?
Speaker 3: He was wearing blue denim shorts, and he was wearing dark blue loafers, and he.
Speaker 9: Was wearing a shirt, a t-shirt. I don't remember what color it was.
Speaker 1: What color?
Speaker 6: You don't remember?
Speaker 9: No, I only saw his bottom half. I was telling him to get out.
Speaker 4: Paramedics attempt to control Anthony's bleeding, but with countless stab wounds ravaging his body, their efforts are quickly overwhelmed.
Speaker 6: Everywhere, upper torso, couple on the back. Do we have one more sticker?
Speaker 3: It's got an uncovered stab wound up here, right?
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You want to start compression? Yeah, we're going to start compression.
Speaker 7: Are we going to work in here or are.
Speaker 9: We just going to go?
Speaker 7: That's it, let's go.
Speaker 6: Do you need another sticker? Does it matter at this point? If you have one, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 7: We're leaking big time.
Speaker 5: You just want to leave us.
Speaker 13: With every sticker you got.
Speaker 4: The officer continues pressing Haley for details about the suspect and soon learns the three share a far more tangled relationship than he could have ever imagined.
Speaker 6: How do you know him?
Speaker 3: We met online a few weeks ago.
Speaker 13: Were you guys in a dating relationship or something?
Speaker 9: Yeah, we were.
Speaker 3: Talking online for like a week or two and I went down to California and picked.
Speaker 6: Him up and brought him down here. So has he been living here?
Speaker 9: Yes, he's been living here for about two months.
Speaker 6: The male who's been injured?
Speaker 9: He's my ex-husband.
Speaker 6: Does he live here as well?
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 6: Did he, did those two get into it over something?
Speaker 3: We were, I don't, I'm sorry to disclose so much, but we were all like messing around in the bedroom.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 9: And he just.
Speaker 6: Just prior to this?
Speaker 9: And he just snapped. And he was all into it. And I don't know why.
Speaker 6: Was everybody drinking today?
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 13: So you guys were all messing around in the bedroom. What started, what precipitated this?
Speaker 6: The stabbing.
Speaker 3: I think that he couldn't get there, or he couldn't get hard, and I think that he was just intimidated or something.
Speaker 6: By your ex? So that's why he's nude?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: How did the stabbing occur?
Speaker 9: Just messing around on the bed. And he said it was okay. And the next thing I know..
Speaker 6: He said what was okay?
Speaker 9: Edward said it was okay that we were messing around.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 9: And then he started stabbing Anthony in the back and Anthony said, Al, stop.
Speaker 6: What are you doing?
Speaker 9: And I just jumped off the bed.
Speaker 3: He just kept going on and Anthony was around the bedroom trying to get away. Okay.
Speaker 9: He just kept stabbing him.
Speaker 6: Okay, so he was trying to flee you while they were in there? Are you injured?
Speaker 9: No, I'm not. I told him I was so he'd leave.
Speaker 4: The officer escorts Haley to his cruiser where she can stay warm. given that all she's wearing is a blood-soaked robe. The front seat affords her a clear view of paramedics fighting to save Anthony.
Speaker 6: It's okay. So he's got a pulse. He's all right. Okay?
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 6: Haley?
Speaker 12: Haley?
Speaker 13: I need you to listen to me, all right? We need to think real, real hard where he would have gone.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 9: He really doesn't know anything down here. We go to the dispensary.
Speaker 6: Does he have any friends here?
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 9: He's literally got no one here.
Speaker 3: Oh, God.
Speaker 6: Haley, Haley, look at me, okay? Haley, don't look over there. Oh, no.
Speaker 4: Anthony is loaded into the ambulance, which makes its way to a nearby hospital.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: No, I understand. I understand.
Speaker 4: Officers secure the house with police tape and begin searching the vehicles in the driveway in case Eddie may have hidden inside. During their search, they discover a uniform, which Haley clarifies belongs to Anthony, who works as a correctional officer. Afterward, the officers share grim remarks about the severity of Anthony's injuries.
Speaker 6: There were a lot on his back. Singer's sewing machine.
Speaker 5: I was looking at his front.
Speaker 6: He was stabbed up here. Chin sliced open. Stomach and that rolled him over. And he had four more on his back.
Speaker 12: I'd say he was upwards of 20, 20 established. Well, they were in the middle of having intercourse. And so they were all kind of intermingled with that. But suspects are stabbing victim in the back. And then they started running around suspect chasing.
Speaker 7: And then it was.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: As they continue, one officer shares the reason for their delayed entry into the house.
Speaker 5: When Macbeth and.
Speaker 12: I pulled up, we're looking around like there's no screaming, there's no sound.
Speaker 6: That was sounding kind of weird.
Speaker 12: And I was like, are we sure? And then she finally came out and I was like, yeah, we're at the right house.
Speaker 7: Was he conscious? The victim?
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say conscious.
Speaker 12: But he was taking some gasping breaths, and he would move every once in a while.
Speaker 6: That's called agonal breathing.
Speaker 10: Not good.
Speaker 12: He was down to, like, low 40s, and they picked him up and carried him out on his own.
Speaker 6: That's pretty cool. There was some of that, like, conviction.
Speaker 14: Well, but, yeah.
Speaker 12: He had bubbles come out of his armpit. I've never seen so many chest seals on one person.
Speaker 4: Haley provides officers with a photo of Eddie to help them as they organize a search. Still, her greatest concern is for Anthony, fearing that any hope of saving him is already gone.
Speaker 13: I'm not trying to give you false hope, but I'll tell you too, if he was expired, that ambulance would have never left this location.
Speaker 6: So he was alive when he left here.
Speaker 9: I feel so incredibly guilty. I don't even have a stab wound. Like, I didn't even protect them, you know?
Speaker 6: Well, sounds like it happened really fast.
Speaker 9: Did I?
Speaker 6: I don't even know.
Speaker 4: A canine tracker and drone operator work together to scour the neighborhood, hoping that Eddie may still be somewhere nearby, but there's no trace of him, until 7.13 a.m., when Sacramento dispatchers contact Spokane police.
Speaker 10: Crime Check, what are you reporting?
Speaker 5: Hi, my name's Katie.
Speaker 10: I'm a dispatcher with Sacramento Police Dispatch. I've got a caller on the other line whose son called them from Spokane, Washington, saying he was running for his life.
Speaker 7: Is this the correct phone number?
Speaker 10: She's in Spokane, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay. Let me bring her on.
Speaker 7: Okay, ma'am, you're connected with Spokane Police.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 10: How long ago did your son call you?
Speaker 1: At 7.08.
Speaker 10: So about five, seven minutes ago. And he said he was running for his life. Did he say where he was at?
Speaker 5: That's what he told us. And he said he's at the 1500 block of Wesley Avenue there in Spokane, Washington.
Speaker 10: There's a park near there.
Speaker 1: And he was.
Speaker 5: Walking in there, running in an alley and saw some stranger and asked if he could use the phone.
Speaker 10: Any reason why he didn't call 911 himself?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: What's his first name?
Speaker 12: His first name is Edward.
Speaker 7: Edward?
Speaker 10: Let me see if we've got any calls from an Edward.
Speaker 5: One sec.
Speaker 10: No, it doesn't look like it. Seems odd that he wouldn't call 911 and just call family in another state. Did he say exactly what was going on? He just said that he was running for his life.
Speaker 4: Following the tip on his location, Eddie was quickly found and arrested without incident, which was relayed over the radio to the canine search unit.
Speaker 1: Yo! Sweet.
Speaker 6: Atta boy. Surprised that went peacefully.
Speaker 7: Well, thanks a lot for calling. Right? Heck yeah.
Speaker 4: Eddie is taken to the police station for an interrogation, where detectives will soon try to unravel how a seemingly consensual encounter erupted into a violent bloodbath. As he waits for the interview to begin, his unsettled voice fills the empty room.
Speaker 5: It's me.
Speaker 1: It's me.
Speaker 7: I just want to stay in the area.
Speaker 14: I want to be in the area where people can find me. And the place is still locked down and locked in. It doesn't mean I should have taken his life. He's tired of being a man, Roy. He's tired of it.
Speaker 7: It's mine.
Speaker 15: Eddie?
Speaker 7: Edward?
Speaker 11: When do you prefer to go back?
Speaker 14: Eddie.
Speaker 1: Eddie?
Speaker 7: My name is Brian Sesnick. I'm a detective with the police department. Detective Doug Strosol.
Speaker 6: Did I tell you this room is recorded?
Speaker 7: Audio and video recorded? Obviously it's a police station. These two are my crazy empty thoughts. Well, the reason I'm here is obviously that I know what happened.
Speaker 5: That's my job.
Speaker 16: My hope is that I can just talk to you and tell me whatever you want.
Speaker 7: I'm just here to get your facts.
Speaker 4: The detective reads and explains his Miranda rights before continuing.
Speaker 7: With these rights in mind, do you wish to answer my questions? Is it All right, if I have a lawyer present. You would like a lawyer? Yes.
Speaker 14: It is.
Speaker 4: Though it seems the interview is over before it begins, what the detective shares next changes everything.
Speaker 16: So what's going to happen? We're going to have someone come in here. We're seeking a search.
Speaker 7: Warrant to get photographs, buckle swabs, which is your DNA.
Speaker 16: They'll be in here. When that's done, you're going to be booked into jail. You're going to be charged with first-degree murder.
Speaker 7: Okay. He's dead. He is dead? You killed him.
Speaker 16: If you change your mind and decide you want to talk to me about this, you can always.
Speaker 7: Send a kite. Yeah. I don't need a lawyer. Forget that. I know what I did, and I'm not going to deny it.
Speaker 4: Eddie has read his rights once more before questioning begins.
Speaker 16: So before we go into everything, I just want to ask, what Why did you say you wanted.
Speaker 7: An attorney and then decide to talk? Is it because you didn't think he was dead? I mean, what? No, I was just, I don't know, thinking too much about it. Thinking too much about it. I've been thinking about it too much lately.
Speaker 5: I get it.
Speaker 7: What's going on with your life?
Speaker 17: I've just been f * * * ing off a lot and I'm like, just not doing the right thing and it took me over mentally and I thought I was going crazy. I literally thought that there's like someone else in my head.
Speaker 7: Like I'm not the only one in my head. I might need testing because I don't know. Do you have a counselor?
Speaker 14: No. Right.
Speaker 7: What are the tattoos? Oh, that's a tree of life. What about the K on your finger? My girlfriend's got a matching Q.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay.
Speaker 7: Does it mean anything or is it just because we're together? Just because you're together. Probably not anymore, but yeah.
Speaker 4: Eddie explains he first met Haley on the dating app Badoo.
Speaker 2: I guess I was the first one to like her on the profile and she matched with me. And from there, we just clicked. It just felt so natural talking to her. You know, I was at a point in time where I just couldn't trust anybody around me. Even people that I loved sometimes I just thought were shifty and.
Speaker 7: I've just been seeing things in an early f * * * ed up way.
Speaker 4: He tells the detective that Haley lived with him temporarily in Sacramento before deciding to return home to Spokane.
Speaker 7: I wasn't going to stop her. And a lot changed after that.
Speaker 2: I literally just cut everybody off for my new wife.
Speaker 7: What all did you know about her at that point? Well, I knew..
Speaker 2: Her situation, which she was still living with her husband, who she claims to be divorced with.
Speaker 4: Although Haley described Anthony as her ex-husband, their divorce wasn't yet finalized at the time of the incident.
Speaker 7: And I, at.
Speaker 2: First, was okay with the idea of it because I didn't think any, she told me, you know, he's not going to be on no weird s * * *. He's not going to do the things that he did do and did drive me off the edge.
Speaker 7: So how was the living situation in the house? It was For a while, it just functioned. Everything just worked. And there were moments.
Speaker 2: Where I would find text messages between them of things I didn't want to see. And I kept telling her about it. I keep telling her, and she keeps ignoring it.
Speaker 4: After news of Anthony's murder broke to his family, some were quick to point blame at Haley.
Speaker 5: I'm curious, have they arrested his wife? Anthony's wife. If not, y'all need to put her in cuffs.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 5: And so for what reason?
Speaker 10: Apparently, what they.
Speaker 5: Said on KH2 on their website said that the two men live together.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 5: Anthony's married.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 5: The suspect is his wife's boyfriend. I just think that she needs... She needs to be looked at pretty seriously.
Speaker 1: This girl has created this situation. This person who stabbed my nephew, she is just as responsible for this as he is.
Speaker 4: But as investigators have learned, things among the three seemed cordial until last night, when, according to Eddie, everything shifted after they began partying and playing an unusual game.
Speaker 7: We started taking shots of James. How many shots did y'all take? I mean, did you polish off a bottle and just take a couple? We had like four shots each.
Speaker 2: It was like one of the bigger Master Jam gin bottles.
Speaker 7: And we just took that. We also took a couple of dabs. You know dabs, right? Well, you tell me. We're on the same page. It's like a THC. Mm-hmm. wax and they get it really hot and inhaled it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 7: And so y'all were sitting around doing that. How were things going at first? At first we were playing, it was pretty weird. We were playing on a Ouija board. Playing on a Ouija board?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he, Anthony was talking about how he wants to summon a demon into the house, even though he thinks the house is full of good spirits and.
Speaker 7: Summoned a named Zozo or whatever he.
Speaker 2: Wanted to he was like begging for Zozo to come and like you know be there and the thing moved to where he wasn't going to be there like they said no and I asked it a couple things and got some interesting answers.
Speaker 4: After attempting a demonic summoning through the Ouija board, they turned on some music and sometime after midnight, Eddie says that Haley came to him with a proposition.
Speaker 2: Haley comes on to me, wants me to have sex with her, right in front of him. And he's sitting like right there, like on the corner, at that distance from the bed.
Speaker 7: So whose room are you in now? We're in ours. He's just in there.
Speaker 4: However, Eddie's version of what happened doesn't quite align with what Haley told an officer at the crime scene.
Speaker 9: I don't know, like, he just got too f * * * ed up tonight or just lost it or what.
Speaker 13: And he wasn't doing anything besides smoking weed and drinking gin?
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 9: And it was their plan. Like, I, like, went in on it.
Speaker 6: So, do he and Anthony get along?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 13: It was their plan to have this sexual encounter with all of you?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Okay. Okay.
Speaker 2: You know, I was really drunk, so I couldn't, you know, I couldn't work anything up for some reason.
Speaker 7: I get that drunk sometimes. My body just goes numb. So you couldn't get hard? Yeah, basically.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 7: So what happens next? She starts trying to get me somewhere. It's not working. I don't.
Speaker 1: Know.
Speaker 2: We start messing around, and then Anthony starts coming up, rubbing mine in her feet.
Speaker 7: And just, I don't know, like, it made me feel uncomfortable, but You know, I was already uncomfortable. So it just like added to it. And I just, I don't know. I started feeling a deep anger inside of me. Just building, building. And like after a while, I literally took a step in the bathroom. Light wasn't on.
Speaker 2: And all I can think in my head, as soon as I walk in that bathroom, is like literally I went to find a knife.
Speaker 7: And then lost it.
Speaker 4: Eddie then left the bathroom and retrieved a small folding knife from the living room mantle above the fireplace.
Speaker 16: Then obviously you went back to the bedroom.
Speaker 7: Right. And you said anything to them? No.
Speaker 2: I actually kind of did this pretty sneaky. And that's what I feel bad about is I was pretty sadistic about it. I took the knife and I literally hit it between my ass cheeks. So no one would see me walking in.
Speaker 7: And you were completely naked at this point?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And..
Speaker 2: Sure enough, when I sat down, I moved it to where I could easily grab it. And I said, well, since you guys are doing this right here, you might as well change the view, you know. And I got him to turn around where Anthony's back was facing me.
Speaker 7: So how were they when you walked in?
Speaker 2: They were facing me on the bed when I was sitting like this on the bed when I laid down and hit the knife. And then I picked up my phone and not my phone. I picked up her phone. They said turn a light on. And I turned the light on and used that as a distraction.
Speaker 7: The light on the phone? Mm-hmm. And I just... Did what I never thought I would do. Ever. It was when I came back in the room taking a piss.
Speaker 11: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 7: And I see him... Now giving a... Telling me to join in. Knowing that I'm not going to.
Speaker 5: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 7: And I don't know what it was, but just seeing that..
Speaker 2: And thinking about, like, just everything else adding up, I felt like nothing mattered.
Speaker 7: And, like, literally, I said, fuck it. And I feel bad about it now. I feel remorse now. I genuinely miss Anthony because he was an all right friend. I don't know what drove me to fucking take his life. I couldn't stop. Because I used to go hunting. So I know the feeling of taking life.
Speaker 2: I used to, like, whenever we'd get a deer, the dog would go fetch it and it wasn't quite dead.
Speaker 7: When you shoot it with a shotgun, brings it back.
Speaker 2: I had to snap the necks of them and that actually gave me a rush.
Speaker 7: It was pretty, pretty gnarly. I haven't gone hunting in so long.
Speaker 16: Did this give you a rush while you were doing it?
Speaker 7: It was, like, very short-lived.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Because when I started, I paid. I literally... I had no idea. I just lost control, and I gained it all back, but that's when it was too late.
Speaker 4: At the scene, Haley described what happened just as Eddie began his vicious assault on Anthony.
Speaker 9: And he was.
Speaker 3: Telling Aaron, he was telling Eddie to stop, that he was hurt, that he's really hurt.
Speaker 6: How many times do you think he stabbed him?
Speaker 9: Oh, God, so much, really. Before, I thought he was, like, punching him out first. It was probably.
Speaker 18: 15, 16 times between the back and the chest.
Speaker 3: I could literally hear each of the holes like gasping for breath in his lungs.
Speaker 6: How big is the knife?
Speaker 9: Probably about four inches. It was a utility silver knife. It was kind of boxy.
Speaker 6: Was it like a four inch long blade?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The folding utility knife was recovered at the crime scene. Its blade and handle stained with Anthony's blood.
Speaker 7: Did you say anything to him?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 7: Well, I think I said some words out of fury, but it wasn't any, like, rational words. It was probably just anger. What did he say? First thing he said was, please stop. We can talk about this. What about Haley? What was she doing? She just kept saying, you're scaring me. You're scaring me.
Speaker 9: It's just like a plane switch.
Speaker 6: It was the.
Speaker 9: Scariest thing I ever saw. And he pinned me on the bed. He said, if you're going to go, we're going to go.
Speaker 6: I was like, no, why did you do that? Say that again?
Speaker 9: He pinned me on the bed and said, we're going to go. And I said, no.
Speaker 4: The 911 call captured Eddie's desperate plea alongside Haley's frantic response.
Speaker 13: So he tried to force you to go?
Speaker 6: Was he holding you at night point?
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 9: No, he threw it on the bed.
Speaker 6: He didn't have the knife.
Speaker 9: No, he threw it on the bed. He said he can't do this to me. And I said, I got to. And I jumped down off the bed, away from his.
Speaker 6: Crotch, and started grabbing Anthony.
Speaker 9: And he started getting dressed.
Speaker 4: He said, you've got to get me out of here.
Speaker 5: You've got to hide me.
Speaker 9: I'm like, I'm not going to hide you. I've got to make sure you stay.
Speaker 7: Remember what you said to her?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 7: What did you say? I said something along the lines of, you have to help me. I can't go to jail. I can't go to jail. Did she agree to help you? No. I knew she wasn't going to. Was Haley a part of this at all?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 7: I think she knew it was up, though. Like, at what point? Well, she told me I.
Speaker 8: Sometimes have this, these, like, swings, mood swings, not really mood swings, but, like, just episodes where I'll, like, I just shift, psychologically just shift, and I'm just.
Speaker 7: Like, that's the me that doesn't give a * * * *, you know, kind of thing. And she can tell, like, when I'm being sadistic.
Speaker 2: She didn't like the way I talk and the things that I say as opposed to how I normally talk. And she knew, because I gave her, I was hinting at it, but I wasn't, like, being direct with it. I was kind of like smiling and laughing at her in a really up way.
Speaker 7: And like, at that point, my, I just lost all. She said you started doing that before you left the room to go to the bathroom. Oh, that's because I think I was thinking about it at that time. You were thinking that you were going to go get a knife.
Speaker 6: That was before you went P though.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And the story you just told.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 7: It's not. She said you had a look.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then when they started having sex when I came back, that's when I got the knife and then made another trip.
Speaker 7: I actually don't remember it fully and in all the right sequence. So I'm not lying. No, no, no.
Speaker 16: You said you started thinking about it and you got that look and that's when she knew. And she said that you had a weird look before you ever even went to the bathroom. And so I'm just wondering when you're in the room before you went to the bathroom, if you started thinking about this.
Speaker 7: Or if it was really when you came back from the bathroom. I think I started in the room. I was thinking about it. I'm like, making all the way back.
Speaker 2: The premeditation started right there in the room.
Speaker 7: Before you even went to the bathroom? Right.
Speaker 4: As the detective digs for any prior history of violence, Eddie suddenly drops an unexpected bombshell about Hayley.
Speaker 16: Any physical between you and him ever before this?
Speaker 7: No. No fighting at all?
Speaker 4: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 16: How was you and Haley's relationship? Because obviously, I can only imagine the stress that you put on.
Speaker 7: Well, our relationship was pretty rocky for a while. Like, not too rocky. Like, we genuinely love each other.
Speaker 11: I feel like even if whatever happens, you know.
Speaker 7: I honestly feel.
Speaker 17: Like we have to get out of the way you do she's pregnant I did not know that.
Speaker 7: What do you want me to tell Haley it's just a lot is it possible if I can write down a letter or something absolutely I'd rather just do that.
Speaker 4: Once Eddie is left alone, he will soon resume talking to himself, spilling raw and unsettling thoughts into the empty room. Before stepping away to let him ride, the detective answers one final, urgent question about Eddie's legal fate.
Speaker 7: Am I doing life? I can't answer that. I can tell you I have been doing this.
Speaker 16: A long time, and with the exception of third-strike.
Speaker 7: Cases, I have not had a life case.
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 7: Really. I literally thought, like, if you kill someone, you do life. I thought it was that serious. You would think so. That's not how our criminal justice system works.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: After assuring Eddie that Haley will receive his letter, the detective leaves him alone to write. As he begins, he breaks down, consumed by the lasting consequences of his actions.
Speaker 11: I'm not going to see.
Speaker 7: You for a while. I don't know. I'm supposed to be a dad. I'm supposed to be a dad. I'm never loving it.
Speaker 18: I really hope I'm out of here in nine months. I'm hoping it's the same thing I had to go through. Why did I follow my dad's footsteps?
Speaker 4: Finished with his letter, someone returns to collect the pen. Once again left with only his thoughts, Eddie considers his plans for the future and reflects on a horrifying night that will haunt him forever.
Speaker 7: I do the time I get out. I try to go back for her.
Speaker 11: Her system's weird now.
Speaker 7: I can actually get out.
Speaker 1: Of this.
Speaker 2: Pretty easily.
Speaker 7: I'm crying. Most of my fluid's out. I gotta stop crying. That sound like a.
Speaker 11: Play it smooth all the way through.
Speaker 7: Eventually, finally. Yeah, I killed a man.
Speaker 11: Stabbed him, like, stabbed him.
Speaker 7: Eight times.
Speaker 11: He was raping my girlfriend. He got her drunk so he could rape her. To me, too. Thinking I was just gonna let it happen. I know what I did was wrong. I know I have blood on my hands.
Speaker 7: Like, literally.
Speaker 15: But, at least in my own head, I know what I felt like I did what was right. It's just, I can't, I can't bring myself to think that was right. I could have beat his ass. That's what I should have done.
Speaker 7: This wouldn't even have been it.
Speaker 11: I wonder if I could find out more about.
Speaker 7: This law system.
Speaker 11: Try to get out early on good behavior or something. So I'll do whatever it takes. I just need to get back home to my lady and my child. That's all I want.
Speaker 7: I'm coming back home to you, baby. I'm coming back home.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he thought it was good vibes I was sending out, but really, he took my vibes.
Speaker 4: I didn't say that. 25-year-old Anthony Brines suffered from a total of 20 separate stab wounds, including 14 to the chest and abdomen, five to the back, and one to the right arm. After investigators executed a search warrant to collect photographs, DNA, and his clothing, 19-year-old Edward Eddie Martinez was taken to jail. He was formally charged with first-degree premeditated murder and, following a trial in April 2023, was found guilty and sentenced to 27 years in prison. Although he filed an appeal in February 2025, the Court of Appeals upheld both his conviction and his sentence. If you'd like to see select new videos early and help us keep uncovering case files that rarely come to light, you'll find extra footage and unseen details on our Patreon. Channel memberships here on YouTube also include early access to select new videos.