Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and don.
Speaker 3: Koa ninety FM s.
Speaker 4: Got way the nicety. It's through three by Connell keeping sad thing.
Speaker 2: Welcome, We welcome to a Wednesday edition of the show. I'm your host for the next three hours, Mandy Connell. That guy over there, he's Anthony Rodriguez sometimes I call him a rod And together we will get you through the next two hours and fifty six minutes with some radio magic and maybe some radio mediocrity. What I do have is a fantastic blog. And once again I'm gonna ask you just to take a few moments out of your day and go to mandy'sblog dot com and check it out. Postrophe, no Apostrophe, Mandy's blog not no apostrophe. You know what I should buy Mandy's blog no Apostrophe dot com at U r L. I wonder if that's available, and go Daddy, hang on, hang on, people, Will I do this really inane stupid thing where I'm just gonna look in.
Speaker 5: Uh me and tries the apostrophe, by the way, goes to Google and direct you immediately to the blog.
Speaker 6: So if you really do type the apostrophe, it'll be fine. Mandy's blog, no apostrophe dot com.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I am gonna make it mine right now, thank you very much. You go Mandy's blog, No apostrophe dot com. Now I have to make sure I spelled apostrophe right before I buy.
Speaker 6: This, though I think I did too. Let me double check. Yeah, yeah, aposture.
Speaker 2: I did. Yeah, right, yeah, so yeah, let me let me double check that. You just you just go to mandy'sblog dot com and you check it out and then and then that's you'll be smarter and just from reading the blog. Plus there's always a bunch of stuff on here that we don't get you on the show that I find interesting that you probably should know according to me. And then I'm just like, well, I'm not gonna talk about that. I mean, it's you know, anyway, It's all on the blog. You can look for the headline that says one twenty nine twenty five blog Jeffco's Schools puts on a gas lighting masterclass. Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within anybos.
Speaker 7: Missing Office, half of American, all the ships and clipments of Say That's Conda Press plats.
Speaker 2: Today on the blog Last chance to join us on the Mandy Cootnall Adventure to Japan. Dave Frasier joins for Weather Wednesday. Jeff Coo gas lights parents, Kyle Clark tried really hard here scrolling, hiding, and all isn't buying with the governor's selling. No, Trump didn't turn off Medicaid. Taytay Anderson has a new job. Hamas tortured hostages. Mayor Mike Johnson talk's tough on gangs. Protesters succeed in shutting down Aurora City's council meetings. If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough Window edition, four hundred days before rape investigations could even get going. Wacky Left Winger makes a better choice, of course, Stem's push the horrible bill gun bill out of committee. The executive orders are coming at lightning speed. One of the biggest bands on one of the biggest band's medical care for trans kids. Colorado Republicans have a choice where you are more likely to get a speeding ticket. About those drones over New Jersey. About the new press secretary pot crushes your memory? Our kids are getting worse at reading. San Francisco's harm reduction policies have failed. How DEI took the military. This is why the internet is awesome. This OnlyFans trend is super gross. Trump is giving federal workers a deal to quit Happy University to the legendary marsha on links Lynch interview, The Lighthouse welcomes new media, baseball team uses doorbell to wake up the dogs, and ninety year old life advice. Those are the headlines on the blog. A little bit dizzy right now.
Speaker 6: A little as the band killed the tube of players. I know, Oh, I know, he's fine.
Speaker 2: He's got those giant cheeks though you can store a lot of air in there. It's fine, totally fine, you know. On this on the blog, I often share videos from this kid in Canada where he just stops people on the streets and ask them life advice. And it usually stops older people, and he asked them the same kind of questions like what did you worry about too much when you were young that you regret now? Or you know, what do you regret the most? Or you know it just really interesting questions because the answers are all different, though they're all very similar. So I love these videos and there's a really good one today by a couple of ninety year olds they've been married for sixty seven years. And it just I find this stuff so useful and I love it because in our culture we worship youth. And don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with youth except it doesn't have an life experience under its belt to understand the areas where it is glaringly wrong. You know, I mean, I oh to be young again with it, Like everybody says, Oh if I knew what I knew now, but I could be young again. Oh, we take over the world because you have to be you know, kind of that youthful exuberance requires a lack of a knowledge set that you simply cannot have gained yet because you don't have enough years under your belt. And these videos are the exact opposite. They go to the people who have a lifetime of perspective and they and they ask them about things, and they don't ask them, you know, what was your favorite job or something like that. They ask about, you know, did you work too much? Do you regret not spending more time with your kids? I mean, it's just it's fascinating and I want to see us in the United States begin to give older people their due again. And don't get me wrong, not every older person, by just because or old, is going to be smart or wise or make good decisions. But there's value in learning from people who have the ability to look back on a long life and see exactly what they think went right and what they think went wrong. So I love those videos, and I hope you like it's the last thing on the blog today. Then you can scroll way back up to the top because it is way back up to the top, and you'll see that it is we I just found out today. I was talking to Cruise and Tour this morning about our upcoming Japan and Korea South Korea trip, and we have six cabins. I didn't know this, but we're rapidly approaching the date where they have to give back airfare. So when we plan these trips, there are dates that you have to give back your airfare that you've already prepurchased and your extra cabins and stuff like that. So the airfare date is approaching. So if you've been thinking about it, mulling it over, you know, you know, giveing it some thought. You really want to go check it out. It's on the blog today and you can still go to Japan with us, but it's got to be like in the next couple of day to be able to take advantage of all the deal with the airfare and everything. So check that out that is on the blog, or just go to Mandy Connell trip dot com. Dave Fraser joins us for Weather Wednesday, looking forward to that. Jamie Segenberger is popping by just for a few minutes at one because he's got to call him. And yesterday, if you listen to the show yesterday, I talked about a situation that occurred in a basketball game between Denver Academy of the Torah, a Jewish school, and Lotus Academy wait, the Lotus School for Excellence. Oh shoot, I can't remember what it's called. Lotus Academy for Excellence, a charter school in Aurora. And what happened was a coach of a basketball team took it upon himself to hang up a Palestinian flag at the basketball game and refused to shake hands with the coach after the game. And it seems by the video replay that the coach was the one at fault here he has been suspended, but the Lotus School just jumped on it. They were very transparent. They immediately put out a letter to parents with what was going on. They went to the Denver Academy of the Torah and met with them. I mean, they just they did everything the right way. And so when you compare that with what has happened to Jeff Co when their third in command of Jeff Co's schools, just around Christmas was found to be being investigated for possession of child sexual abuse material, so child pornography. He has since died in appearance suicide. And Jeff Co's schools did everything the exact wrong way, and Jimmy Segerberger's written a column about it, and it's so it's so frustrating to me because I want to be able to have faith in my governmental institutions. I do. I really do not blind faith. I'm not stupid, but I'd like to be able to have a general sense that these institutions were working on my behalf and I don't necessarily feel that. With many different institutions and the school districts in this state, some of them are focused like a laser on all the wrong things, and Jeffco Schools is one of them, and they've worked so hard to shut down parents who disagree with the direction that the school board is going that it just makes me suspect everything they do. The only way to have people be able to trust you is to be completely transparent, especially if you're a public institution. Anytime it looks for a second like you're trying to hide something or obfusekate something to keep it out of the public eye, you immediately look shady. And you know what, I realize that in some cases, especially with a school district, there are student privacy issues that have to be handled, but the district hides behind those excuses when they're asked about things they don't want to talk about. When people have asked for very simple data, Okay, we want a breakdown of how many of students in fifth grade were disciplined in this way. We don't need any names or identifying information. We need to know what the kids were accused of and what happened. And they'll say, I'm sorry, that's you know, that's a student privacy issue.
Speaker 8: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: So whenever I see this kind of stuff where Jeffco schools is essentially saying, now, think about what I said. Their third in command was being investigated for child pornography and then he killed himself when he went to visit family, and yet the district was kind of mute, just moot on the whole thing. Nope, nope, we're not We're just not. And now they say, what was the holidays? Oh it was the holidays. Oh well, gosh, there was probably no parents worried about that during the holidays. It's like, dude, you have to get in front of it. You have to be Lotus, a Caate Me and Denver Academy of the Torah. You have to get in front of it. That's what they did. Transparency is the key, and they just fight it. They fight it. It makes me nuts. So that is in the column and we're gonna talk with Jimmy about that in just a few minutes. I got to give a little credit to Kyle Clark on something, and you know, I love to beat up Kyle Clark. It's fun. I mean, it's like a fun sport. And I don't mean literally, although I do think I could take him. And that's no slight on Kyle, but he is he's a slight fellow, you know, and I feel like I work out I threw him in punch. I'm just saying, I'm not saying I would, just to let you know, so don't go making any bets. But I do have to give Kyle credit because Kyle was trying to pin down Governor Jared Polis on whether or not Colorado is a sanctuary state. A Rod may have my audio. Please listen to this exchange. You're gonna hear Kyle, then you're gonna hear the governor. Then you're gonna hear Kyle, then you're going to hear the governor. And Kyle is working overtime here to try and get the governor to admit what we all know. Colorado is clearly a sanctuary state.
Speaker 9: So misleading to say not in any way, shape or form is as a sanctuary state.
Speaker 10: We cooperate fully with our federal partners in all criminal matters, and we're work closely with FBI, with DEA, with ICE, always have and we always plan to because it's part of what we need to do to make Colorado safer. That being said, we also have laws in place to make sure that the federal government doesn't get to co op local law enforcement, taking them off the beat of keeping Colorado safe and preventing auto theft and drug dealing to instead force federal immigration statutes.
Speaker 9: If you're saying that we are absolutely not a sanctuary state in any way, shape or form, could you define what you would see a sanctuary jurisdiction as.
Speaker 10: Then, well, Colorado fully cooperates with any valid federal warrant, federal order. We cooperate in any way we can to get criminals off the street. And so if there are states or jurisdictions that don't, you know, I personally think that's the wrong way to go.
Speaker 2: Except we won't honor an ice detainer, so we're not following all federal orders. We're not doing that. And I got a handed to Kyle Clarke. He came right back and just basically said, okay, look if we're and what the governor said a response right there was, I can't define what a sanctuary state is, but we're not that. I mean, that's am I wrong? You can text me five six six nine OERO on the Common Spirit Health text line if you'd like to disagree. But the reason I brought all that up and played that for you is hiding. Ganal is not buying what the governor is selling. And she has a great column in the Rocky Mountain Voice today she's coming in to talk about that and seless all of the ways that Colorado is indeed a sanctuary state. Now, I want to read something I found. I went to the wayback machine on the Internet today because I wanted to go back to twenty nineteen when the sanctuary state laws were being passed here in Colorado by Democrats. There was bipartisan opposition to these bills, so they were passed by Democrats, opposed by Democrats and Republicans, but not enough. This is from the Denver Post in twenty nineteen. While there's not a singular definition for a sanctuary city, anti sanctuary legislation in Congress usually defines it as a city that prohibits police from complying with ice detainers. By that definition, the state is made virtually every city in Colorado a sanctuary city, vulnerable to losing billions in federal grants if presidential action or legislation were to crack down on sanctuaries. So the governor is actually employing the George Costanza strategy, which is it's not a lie if you believe it. So he keeps saying over and over and over again, we're not a sanctuary state. We're not a sanctuary state, but we're clearly a sanctuary state. So we can say it as many times as he wants. But the reality is this, that's like me saying a rod your hair is green, Oh good, and you're like, we're not supposed to go along with that. You're missing the point. My whole skit it is it's green, obviously what it's obviously green. So we're just gonna end this conversation. I really think he believes we're not a sanctuary state, even though everything in reality shows. And by the way, that as they say in the South, that dog won't hunt now, especially okay, that dog won't hunt because now Denver is being called to the carpet in Congress because they're a sanctuary city. So Jared Poles can say only once, we're not a sanctuary state. He's just making up his own definition, and you don't get to do that, you know. And I'm guessing that since Denver has been called to the carpet in Congress, the federal government doesn't view his denials with much credibility. So it's just really, really fascinating. Now, I do want to give Jared Police credit for one thing. He's been consistent. He keeps saying he doesn't want a sanctuary state, even as he signed the bills that made us one. So the governor this, according to his spokesperson at the time, said, has been engaging the sponsors and has articulated concerns on the draft. He will continue to review the language as the bill changes. He never clarified what he was confused about, so, I mean, the document says Police would not support prohibitions on using public money to assist in enforcing federal immigration law, nor anything that would prevent federal agents from accessing secure areas of a jail. The memo further outlines his apprehension about provisions that would prevent local governments from entering into contracts that require its employees to aid in the enforcement of federal immigration law, and elements that would prevent an officer from arresting or holding a person based on an immigration detainer. So we had concerns about it, but he still signed the bill. I mean, it didn't go into law without his signature on it. So he says one thing, but when he has a chance to actually take action to stop it, he doesn't. And I don't get that. I really don't get that. So I just we shall see what happens here. But it's been a very interesting thing to watch things that have gone on. Now. I want to talk about this executive order, a memorandum that shut off funding to a lot of programs and created a huge kerfuffle yesterday. I just heard rosstalk and about it when I was driving in And I want to say this because I only have a few minutes and then we've got weather Wednesday, so I'll probably come back to this later in the show. They have now rescinded yesterday's memo, and a lot of people are viewing this as a massive misstep. It was a terrible mistake in whatever. Here's how I view this. Trump has been throwing everything against the wall everything, and this is an example of something that the Democrats have done very very well for a really long time. I call it thrust and retreat. It's throws something so onerous out there. You keep pushing the limits, pushing the limits, pushing the limits, and then you finally hit the limit. You hit something so onerous that it creates a huge kerfuffle, and instead of fighting for it, arguing for it in court, the Trump White House said, Okay, we hit the limit, back it up, we send it, and we'll move on. But now they know then, now they know where that pushback starts. I got to tell you, I think Donald Trump has been plotting the first hundred days of his return since he did not win in twenty twenty. And we're seeing it. And I think they have a long term strategy that we are not privy to yet. So I don't see it as a massive defeat. I see it as a as a test. Let's see what happens if we do this. Now, you guys, you see what else is happening. Though there was this huge kerfuffle about cutting off funding all these programs, you know what else happened. He's basically offering federal employees the opportunity to get paid till September if they quit by February fifth. He is about to slash the size of the federal government. And we're over here talking about a memo that's already been rescinded. I think we're watching a level of strategic thinking here that we have not seen in a white house in a very long time. And you know a lot of it. I said this yesterday. Not everything he's doing will be found to be legal. Some of it will be rescinded, some of it will be struck down, but not all of it will. And a lot of the stuff that's happening right now are things that people like me have been begging for for so long, and they're finally happening, at least temporarily. Anyway, all right, we're going to take time out. We got Dave Fraser coming up from Fox thirty one because we've got weather Wednesday. If you love snow as much as I love snow, tomorrow is going to be a great day. All right. We'll talk about that with Dave right after this. Fox thirty one and Chief Meteorologist Dave Fraser. Dave, we're going to talk about the weather in just a second. But I know you worked in Cincinnati, so I have got to share this horrifying story with you before we go any further. Are you ready?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Good Being Cincinnati where you live there, you know about Greater's ice Cream, of course, because they're everywhere through Ohio, and you of course know about Skyline Chile, did you know?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Me neither.
Speaker 2: But now there is a limited addition, Greater's Skyline Spice ice cream and it has a water crackers in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll pass to pass on. That's I will pass.
Speaker 2: That's what I said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard you over the years challenge a rod to try things. I'll let a rod try that majority things.
Speaker 2: Well, they do say the ice cream really just tastes like cinnamon and nutmeg, which neither have a place in Chile, but an ice cream maybe, I don't know, but yeah, I saw a listener said that to me, and I was like, who anyway, So let's talk about this storm tomorrow. What are we looking at? What kind of storm is this? Where's it coming from?
Speaker 11: This is you know, every winter season there are at least a minimum of two, maybe three storms that become very very challenging from a standard from forecasting, and this.
Speaker 3: Is one of them. And the reason for that is because of the placement of the storm in southern Colorado. Denver is just on the northern fringe, and so any wobble in that northern line of snow makes a difference between who gets it and who doesn't. And there will be at cut up. I was just telling a rod. This is literally on the south and east sides of the Metro. You can be driving and then all of a sudden, run into a couple inches of snow. You'll go from nothing to a couple inches. So that wabble factor is the biggest challenge we're dealing with right now. I'm sitting here scratching my head looking at it. I have stuff that goes the city of Denver might see some snowshowers, to the city of Denver gets nothing. I can see Castle Rock maybe getting up to an inch, but I also have computer models to give Castle Rock nothing. And then you drive east of Castle Rock towards Kyowa and there's four inches of snow. So I would just tell any of your listeners you know, if you live from Denver to say Aurora, you're probably going to see some snow. I don't know that your morning commuter is going to be impacted. I think the airport is on the extreme northern fringe of seeing some light snow showers with minimal to no accumulation, but as you go south and east of there, So I would tell you if you live in Castle Rock and live down south towards Parker driving through the gap on the south side of I twenty five, be prepared tomorrow morning. Think of Lincoln going east to Parker RidgeGate Road, Hess Road. They could have snow on them and it could be a little slick in the morning. But there's also a chance that that snow line moves just east of there and you may have to go all the way out to Lineman to find snow. So I would just say to people, be prepared on the southeast side and watch the forecast. It is going to change because of that wabble factor.
Speaker 2: So what you're telling me is we got a chance, there's a chance.
Speaker 3: What's interesting is the chances go like we've got a twenty to thirty percent chance, a low chance that Denver the city see snow, but that chance ramps up to eighty to one hundred percent as you go farther south and east. So it really is going to be about placement, and the center of this storm needs to be watched. A couple other things about it quickly. It's a southern storm, and it's a Pacific storm, which means it doesn't have a lot of cold air, so some of you may see a little bit of brain, and the overall impact of the roads is only going to be for several hours through the morning Commoe. After that, the sun's going to come out. We're going to be forty five degrees and anything that Paul's is going to melt.
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect, that's what I want to hear. We're going back to like the sixties next week, aren't we.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I've got as soon as this storm moves out tomorrow, I'm going.
Speaker 3: Fifty seven on Friday, fifty nine Saturday, sixty, sixty two on Sunday, and still near sixty on Monday, and then night Tuesday Wednesday, we'll get a little weak cold front that kind of backs in and we'll trim the temperatures back into the forties, which is seasonal. And listen, we're doing great. I don't know if I caught up with you last time, because we had the snow over this past weekend. We've got thirteen point three inches of snow. We are the fourteenth snowiest January on record and also coming in as the fifteenth coldest. And if you remember, back in December we talked about the long range.
Speaker 2: Outlook, what was it.
Speaker 3: Dry and winter?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Why I did not have it.
Speaker 2: I mean, Dave, I know people like to make fun of meteorologists like you're wrong half the time or whatever, But I mean, do you ever just like kind of want to just slap your forehead and go, okay, you know, okay, God, I'm humbled. You know, I get it. We're just guessing here because it's got to be super frustrating doing what you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, but it comes with the territory. So I mean, you've got to have a thick skin, and you have to if you're going to be a meteorologics, you have to accept the fact that you will be wrong right just the way things are. And we use computers as guidance. We don't hang our hat on one computer model. We analyze all of them and try and find a sweet spot, which is what I'm doing today, and it can be frustrating. Some are easy, some are a little more challenging, and some are downright tough. And you know, sometimes you hit the putt and it comes up and look short. But you know what, I think, as long as we message, just as I did the cautionary tale of Hey, if you live south and east of Denver, be for hair for some slick roads in the morning. If you wake up in the roads on flick, good for you, head off to work and you've got no problems.
Speaker 2: I got a weather It's not a weather question, but it's a TV weather question, Dave. What are the black controllers the news anchors have in their hands?
Speaker 3: So we recently, at the start of the new year, we used to have a teleprompter operators, somebody that would sit and control the rolling scripts, the stories that the anchors read, and the teleprompter. We have moved away from that to the anchors and the reporters who are in studio controlling it themselves. So the black controller you're seeing is then controlling it eventually what's going to happen? And this is kind of cool. The system is training itself so that AI can actually operate it based on the cadence of the person reading. Wow, those black boxes will go away and the anchor will just sit and read and an AI component will run the teleprompter for them based on their voice and their cadence and reading. So it's pretty cool. AI is I heard you talking about it the other day, trying to get into it, and I've kind of peeked out of a little bit. I'm amazed, I'm a little intimidated. I don't know what it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but some example, I have friends that have already adopted like ten or twelve different AI platforms, and they're doing these incredible things, and I feel like a luddite over here with AI. I'm like, what am I doing? I don't know. I think I can make a tony picture. I mean, it's like it's I feel so left behind right now.
Speaker 3: It's funny because I asked Jeremy Hubbard. I said, hey, Jeremy, show me how this works. I don't know what it is and everything. So he went in and funny, he put my name in and he said he asked chat GPT I think it was, and he said write a resignation letter, which I thought was funny. He says, write a resignation letter for day Fraser.
Speaker 11: And within like eight seconds, it wrote this letter.
Speaker 3: And it went obviously stand in the internet, and it found out where I worked and mentioned Fox thirty one. I talked about my years in town. I was blown away. And then Jeremy he says, watch this. He asked it to make a picture of a fifteen year old weather man and it came back with this picture.
Speaker 7: There was like this.
Speaker 3: Whirling tornado and this guy's in this tight blue suit. His hair's all fried out, like you look like you got hit by electricity. And then Jeremy took a picture and said add Dave Stace in to it, and the picture printed out seconds is amazing. I couldn't believe it. I sat there with my jaw down, going wow. And it's crazy because it looks just like me, but it's you know, it's a little yeah, the picture. You know what, I'll text it to a rod please do.
Speaker 2: I'll put it on the blog. I'll put it on the blog with your permission so people can see it. All right, Dave Frasier, I've got one more quick question for you, and it might not be quick, but where it has to because we're amos out of time. Ask if their entire crew gets together and decides on what the forecast will be, or if they each do their own individual forecast.
Speaker 3: No, it has always been my Everybody who has interviewed with me, who becomes a part of our team knows I am one hundred percent team. There's no reason to be using one brain when we have six brains. Everybody can analyze. Some people might pick up on different things. Everybody has a different asset that they bring to the table, and we communicate. So this afternoon, when I go to work, Liz and Alden and I will scrutinize the podcast and we will talk about it and come to a opinion, and that if we have to, we will communicate on a tech spread that the entire team shares to let the morning crew know what we decided about snowfall totals, so that we can maintain a single message from the entire Pinpoint Weather team to anybody watching us on either of our stations or any platform we ship.
Speaker 2: All right, Dave Fraser, a pleasure as always. We'll talk to you next week after our little It'll be delightful next week and I'll be like, Dave, thanks for bringing in the nice weather and you can totally take credit.
Speaker 3: Hey, a little preview of spring.
Speaker 11: Get ready for it?
Speaker 2: There you go, all right, that's save Fraser from box thirty one. We shall return. It's worth a trip to mandy'sblog dot com. No impostory, of course. I don't know if you guys saw any of the press conference yesterday. If I knew Secretary Caroline Levitt. But I have to say, you know, she's twenty seven years old, a rod twenty seven.
Speaker 7: She is.
Speaker 2: Very certain of herself. And I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I mean she is very She used confidence yesterday, and to be that young and to come out to that press corps and handle things like she did, it was It is such a striking change from Karrage Jean Pierre in her incoonfidence. It's almost embarrassing. Like if I were a Democrat, I would be embarrassed. If we're gonna go, uh, Press secretary versus Press secretary, I mean, come on, you guys. Sean Spicer aside, that was a terrible choice, but whatever. Overall, I mean Sarah Huckabee Sanders, oh come on, I put her up against anybody, and this young woman, she's kind of, I'm just gonna say, kind of a badass. I actually put the whole conference on the blog today if you missed it. And if you're a person like me that has a favorite press secretary of all time, Aira Flesher, I'm always looking for somebody to take Airy off the throne, but I haven't found them yet. This girl has potential. She really does. My favorite was when one of the members of the press essentially said, hey, are you going to stand up there and lie? And she was like, are you going to sit down there and lie? I mean I paraphrased. She was very very very good, very good. She also just tweeted out some information that is going to be confusing. She tweeted out, this is not a recision of the federal funding freeze. It is simply a recision of the OMB memo. Why to end any confusion created by the court's injunction, the President's executive Order on federal funding remains in full force and effect and will be rigorously implemented. So maybe my thrust and retreat theory was wrong. They're barreling ahead with this, which means I have to look at strategically where they think this is going to get them. It could just be that they've decided that the fastest way to get the bad parts over with that are inevitable because of a massive contraction of government at a least a mild recession. It happened during the beginning of President Reagan's in first four years, we had a good recession. I mean, not like ya recession. I mean, it was a healthy recession, but it went straight down and straight back up. I'm wondering if they're using the rip the band aid approach off, but it is definitely creating confusion, and that's unfortunate. I appreciate trying to keep people on their heels because it makes it more difficult to fight the number of things that they're throwing against the wall right now, but nonetheless, it has to be done so you don't throw the entire system into chaos. So we'll see what happens next. I don't know what this means. Why I haven't really commented on it because I'm not clear on what all of this federal funding stuff actually does yet. I don't think anybody is or we're going to find out. We are going to find out when we get back. Jimmy Seckenberger's popping by for a few minutes because he's written a very interesting column in the Denver Gazette about Jeff Co Schools. And this is another arm of government that has decided that the people they serve, the people who send their children to Jeff Co's schools, the taxpayers whose property taxes fund their whole regime, they no longer matter, and they have been dismissive and gas lighting to parents, and Jimmy wrote a column about it, and it's not over a no big deal thing. By the way, it's a pretty big deal when your third in command gets investigative for child poor And we'll talk about all that next. Keep it right here on KOA.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 5: No, it's Mandy Connelly Condle.
Speaker 1: On ninem.
Speaker 4: Oh God, I want to study and the noisy because through free Andy Connell.
Speaker 2: Sad thing that Amnica means it's time to talk to our pal anuals columnists for the Denver Gazette fillin host here on KOA and k Hal Jimmy Singing Burger, Hello, Jimmy, Oh, why don't I wait? You know what, why don't I push the button?
Speaker 7: It just makes me happy.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad it makes you happy. It makes a rod happy to play it and me happy to hear it.
Speaker 8: So there we go, Jimmy.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing that there's probably not many school districts in the metro area that don't have your face on a dark board. In some part of their of their room because of the reporting that you do about the ridiculous stuff that keeps happening.
Speaker 7: Yeah, district after district, his problem after problem, and they just seem to never learn their lessons, especially when it comes to crisis management that turns into in the case of for example, Jefferson County School's botched damage control.
Speaker 2: And we're talking about the botch damage control when Chief of Schools David Weise was found to be under investigation for possessing child pornography and this he was fired by the district on December nineteenth, and no announcement was made that I'm aware of. Maybe there's some announcement that went out, but then the media got ahold of the story and then mister Weiss dies of an alleged suicide. What's the timeline for when the district got involved in this process?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, do you mean in terms of letting the parents, family members, Yeah, yeah, the community, now, I would say any direct contact happened a couple weeks later. He was terminated from his position on the nineteenth of December, and then the word started coming out about his what is now known to be an apparent suicide on the first of January, and then I think it was the next day that the district January second, that finally put out any sort of outreach to families, to the community directly. Everything else, everything that they had heard leading up to that point, Mandy was.
Speaker 6: From the media.
Speaker 7: Although what's pretty stunning is when you have something like at this district Accountability Committee meeting last week, the chief of staff at the district, her name is Lisa Rilou. She denied that the media was notified before families, which is hotly ab third and was pressed and questioned after question by members of the DACK about this. And then finally later on when a parent said, so, can we expect that you're going to go to the media first before coming to us, she goes and says, oh, oh, so we're back to this.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: Not how you handled no like that?
Speaker 2: No, And you know, Jimi, I don't know if you heard saw the story of a basketball game kerfuffle between the Lotus Academy of Excellence and Denver Academy of the Torah and I talked yesterday about how beautifully the schools handled it right. They were completely transparent. They immediately communicated with parents via their website. I mean, they really really handled it the right way by just saying here's everything we just did so you all know exactly what happened. This is the exact opposite of what jeff Co has done over and over and over again. I mean, Jeffco was the first school district policy that I knew that was keeping information from parents when it came to children and their gender. I mean, Jeffco. Doesn't it feel a responsibility to the parents that it serves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the.
Speaker 7: Stunning thing about this, especially when this is fascinating me. I write about this in my den or is that column yesterday? The saga that I went through to try and get a recording of this DACK meeting last Tuesday because they always record him. In fact, they've been live streaming them of late, and they didn't. And so I reached out to the chair of the DAK, who's not a district employee, who's a community member as well as a district employee, who's one of the liaisons to the DACK. And why this is important too. David Wise was the other liaison to the DAK. He worked directly with the DAK. So you can understand why parents who are on the District Accountability Committee would be particularly concerned about not hearing a peep directly from the district themselves for weeks. That's a big sensitivity. But they At first I got a response from the chair of the DACK saying I'm looking into it, trying to find out when the video is going to be posted, assuming that it was. She clearly assumed it was being recorded, which was what other members had reported to me. That it had been recorded, was their understanding. But Jessco then gets back to me in a Coorer response Open Records Act request response and says there is no recording. And I say why, And they get back to me and say, well, we had trouble recording. We're in a different room that wasn't equipped for recording, and coloredly skeptical because and I mentioned this. There was a retreat of the board on January seventh where they got together and it was during the day and very little notice, and they were talking about their communications strategy and troubles with communication. And this guy by the name of Robert Greenawalt, who is really a watchdog in Jeffco Schools, and he put in a records request for the recording of this meeting, they denied that a recording existed. Then he sent them proof that there was a recording, and they sent him the recording. Well, I'm not sure if there is there isn't really a recording.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't have a lot of credibility on this issue, No, not at all.
Speaker 7: That's the thing in a crisis like this, when parents are deeply concerned, students are concerned, staff, the community about how you could have the number three in the district in this kind of situation, and this all happens, and then there's a failure of communication. I mean, it's no wonder that there is growing outrage and upset over how things have been handled here because you do this is the thing. You just gave a prime example of two schools that had an issue flare up that needed to be addressed and they immediately did it. And here the district, just like Denver Public Schools and so many others, fails to handle the moment, to meet the moment, and it's like they don't even know what to do.
Speaker 2: It's not well there when your first instinct in any situation is to hide, obfuskate, cover up that to me, it says you know what you're doing is wrong, right that that is a tacit admission of guilt of something. And maybe they're they're afraid that what they're doing is going to be misconstrued. Well, then they need to get ahead of it. They need to be making an announcement about what they're doing, why they're doing it. They're never going to regain the trust of the people of jeff Co unless they change their ways significantly right now. And I have a feeling you're gonna have something to do with that, Jimmy. You keep amplifying this stuff and you're doing a great job with it.
Speaker 7: Well, I appreciate it. I think really they say sunlight is the best disinfectant, and it is so true when you talk about those schools and what happened at that game and how they responded to it. I think that in part is because when you are are they both charter schools? Both of them?
Speaker 12: Ah?
Speaker 7: Yes, okay, I think.
Speaker 2: Denver Academy the tour is a chart. It might be a private school.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure, private school, private school, but they're charter or private, they have more direct accountability and responsiveness that has to come to parents that are there going to get from school district employees or members of the school board that have some kind of insulation and no way. You know, we're the second largest school district in the state of Colorado. We can kind of get away with this stuff. Well, they are starting to find out from parent pushback, from my reporting in the Denver Gazad from what we're talking on the radio and all of that, that actually, you're not going to get away with it not anymore.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 2: Amen to that, Jimmy. I appreciate your time today and great column. Keep up the good work.
Speaker 7: Thank you, my friends.
Speaker 2: All right, that is Jimmy Sangenberger and linked to his column today. But it's just it's another example of you know, whenever anybody tries to hide something, it just makes whatever else is happening a million times worse.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: You know, when you're a kid and you you try and pull a fastmot on your parents because you've decided, you know, at the ripe old age of like six, you can outsmart those old cogers, right, and your parents tell you, at least this is what my parents told me. It was one of those situations where something had happened. I'm trying to blame my little brother, and my mom was like, look, because my mom always talked us to us like little adults. There was never any like kid talk or baby talk in our house. She was like, look, you did something wrong, and if you had just owned up to it, we could have fixed the problem and then you could have gone about your day. But instead you chose to lie about it, and now it's a million times worse. And this is how I feel like with all of these governmental institutions that are anything other than please, here's everything you want to know about everything that happens. I don't trust them when they try and hide stuff. And I keep talking about these stories and the hopes that it would be the last time we talk about a story like this, but it never is. That's the sad thing. So I want to talk about one form of open government being commandeered by protesters, and this has to do with the Aurora City Council. The Aurora City Council has been dealing with protesters at every meet at every meeting, and they are a group of people and family members of killing Lewis, who police were trying to arrest on an attempted murder warrant. They asked him to turn around, and I watched the body cam video of this, so this is a fairly accurate description of what's going on. He had his back to them, he was inside a car or reaching into a car. They said turn around with your hands up. He turned around with his hand in his belt or his pocket to get his cell phone, which was a dumb thing to do, and police opened fire. It was investigated. The District attorney said it was justified shooting, and everybody likes to judge the cops, but you're going to pick someone up for attempted murder. You're not going to pick someone up for jaywalking. This is a violent crime this man has been accused of. And so the officers were cleared and the family and friends of killing Lewis are very unhappy about that, and they want the Aurora City Council to do something. I mean, this is the thing I don't understand. The Aurora City Council should not ever order the District Attorney's office to prosecute someone because protesters show up at the Aurora City Council. So I'm not quite sure what they're looking for here. But if the DA thought it was a winnable manslaughter or even murder case, the DA would have file charges. But I watched the video, and you know, I don't wish anyone would ill will. I don't wish anyone dead, even if they're accused of attempted murder. I don't want that. I don't want police officers to have to go through the process and the impact that taking another life has on a police officer. I don't want any of that to happen. But I also understand police officers who want to go home to their families and not die. I absolutely get that. It's a pretty pretty strong thing. Well, here come killing Lewis's people to protest every week, and the Auror City Council for many weeks allowed them to come in and make these comments and go well beyond their speaking time. They've been very disrespectful of the rules of decorum for the Auror City Council, and the Auror City Council gave them some leeway, and now they're out of patience, so they've made rule changes to try and rain this in. The protesters are not paying attention to the rules, so now they're doing virtual meetings because the Aurora ped said we can't necessarily guarantee your safety. We don't know what these people might do, so now they're going to virtual meetings. And I'm here to just ask this question. Who among you has been persuaded by someone standing and yelling in your face over and over and over again, because I've never been persuaded by that, never once. And I don't know exactly what these protesters think is going to happen. And I just think this is their way of expressing their grief or expressing their frustration, or, in the case of Tay Anderson, an opportunity to get his faced on TV, because of course he's there. By the way, Tay has a job. You know, we've always wondered because what was his all GoFundMe campaigns to buy diapers for his child. He has a job now at Manuel Middle School. If you have girls at Manuel Middle School, tell them to watch out, as we already know that when he was on the Denver Public School Board, he was found to be exchanging creepy messages at a sixteen year old girl. I'm just throwing that out there as a warning. He's the restorative justice coordinator. Restorative justice is one of those things that sounds amazing on paper, but it requires a herculean effort by all kinds of people at one time, and it's not a realistic situation. And I think it is a huge reason that discipline in schools is out of control because there are no repercussions. There are conversations, they make him say sorry and all that. It's just it's it's asinine. It's really asinine. And it's been successful in very small school situations, and they try to put into very big school situations and it doesn't work. But of course, Tay Anderson a restorative justice coordinator at Manual High School, so good for him. You won't have to do any more gofundmes in the near future, so we I don't even know. I'm gonna move on because I don't want to. I'm trying not to beat dead horses, you guys, although I do have another dead horse story at the bottom or on the blog. Today, joy Overbeck wrote a really great column about exactly how Dave Williams is trying to remake the Colorado Republican Party tomorrow, as a matter of fact, by calling a meeting before new officers are elected in order to remake everything about the Republican Party structure so he can try and remain in power. That's all I can is that he's trying to remain in power, and I think he's seeing tomorrow. If enough people show up to vote for these changes, then he'll run for reelection. But if they don't, then he won't, and maybe he'll recognize that his political career is over. I certainly hope. So I don't know. Okay, put the dead horse back in the closet. It's fine, It's absolutely fine. So I want to talk about Mayor Mike Johnston real quick. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this either. Mayor Mike has found himself in a bit of a pickle. He has taught he has written a bunch of checks. As my mom used to love the phrase that man wrote a bunch of checks that his ass cannot cash. Not talking about actual money, but that is exactly what Mayor Mike Johnston has done, and he's continuing to do it continuing.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: We already know he's been called to Congress. He's gonna have to testify. I don't have the sanctuary status of Denver. No word on if he's gonna bring fifty thousand Highland moms with him to Congress. By the way, I've been thinking about that statement for like three weeks now, right since he said, you know, if the Fed sho it, we won't even have to send the police because fifty thousand Island moms would be at the border to stop the FEDS from do an immigration enforcing It was a dumb thing to say, and he even said at one point, I'll go to jail. And you know what Tom Homan is like, Okay, get in my way. I'll put you in jail. I'll be happy to do that. So I thought about that statement about the Highland moms, and I'm thinking to myself, I think that Mayor Mike Kaufman is the mayor of all those Highland moms who get together to play bunko or majong. You know, they get together and they talk about stuff, and then they have the mayor's ear, and that's who he's governing for. He has now come out to tout on CNN. He was on with Jake Tapper and he actually said the following words. He said, Denver had been and this is a quote, very aggressive on enforcement on gang activity. And this was in response to a question about Trendy Arragua, the Venezuelan gang that is running rampant in Denver and Arora. He said, this is also a quote. We were early with covert and overt operations in Denver to identify TDA numbers, arrest them, prosecute them. So we've been very aggressive on this. He said the same thing back in August, at the same time he was telling us this wasn't a problem. So, I mean, maybe I miss it, but as Denver PD done a bunch of arrests of TDA, because all I remember is that the DEA did their operation this week and arrested a bunch of them. The ringleader of the apartment complexes that were taken over was just arrested in New York. So I mean, maybe there's a lot of stuff going on. We said this at the time, Maybe there's a lot of stuff going on under the surface, but it certainly does seem to be a weird thing for him to take credit for now. So in a joint interview with Mike Kaufman in August, the mayors told nine News that exaggerated an inaccurate news coverage at the Venezuelan gang crisis was creating hysteria that made it more difficult for the cities to combat TDA. Johnston said at the time, the threat from TDA in Denver, it's smaller than many other organized criminal networks that might have been here for decades, the one you know, like the Bloods or the Crypts or others, and so we're monitoring it closely. You know, we've not monitored that. I'd really like to see an answer to were any of the Venezuelan migrants that Denver paid a non governmental organization to place in housing? Were any of them placed? Were any of them gang members? Did we pay to get these people into these apartment complexes? Has anybody asked that question? Has it been answered? I don't know, but I think we need to find out. I mean, that would be a real kick in the pants, wouldn't it to find out that not only is a Venezuelan prison game active in Aurora in Denver, but we, the taxpayers, paid to give them a place to take over after they moved in. So you know, ooh, right now on Fox News they're showing a Dea police operation. I don't know if this is now No. I think that's a couple times I think that might have been the bus the other day. I don't know, don't get me wrong. I mean, if Denver has been working on this super hard in the background and Denver pet is doing over it and covert operations, I'm thrilled about that, absolutely thrilled. But it also makes me look back at August and go, well, then why did you gaslight everyone? Why did you gaslight Danielle Drinsky? If you already knew it was a problem, why did you hang her out to dry? And don't give me the we couldn't compromise the operations. Admitting they were here isn't compromising an operation. Admitting they're here and saying yeah, we know they're here and we're working on it isn't compromising an operation. But they chose to do the exact opposite. And this is exactly what we were talking about with JEFCO schools. When government tries to obfuscate, when they try to cover things up, I don't like it, you know. Yesterday in the press conference, one of the first things that Carolyn Levitt said, and I don't know if it's leather or leave it, I need to look. One of the first things she said was those drones in New Jersey. They were all authorized by the FAA to conduct research and other activities. Why didn't the Biden administration just tell us that? I think I know they wanted to distract us from a bunch of pardons preemptively for family members, so they just let us wonder if we were being invaded. That seems like a great way to run a trustworthy government, doesn't it. When we get back, I'm super excited. One of the representatives is joining us to talk about a bill that is making its way through and it's about a cell phone ban for schools. And I realize that many of you disagree with this. I think that now let me walk that back. It is not about a cell.
Speaker 6: Phone ban for schools.
Speaker 2: It is about a new bill that would allow or require I don't know which school districts to create a cell phone policy. We're going to talk to representative legions about it next, so we'll do that right after this. Representative Megan Lukens from Steamboat Springs is joining me to talk about her bill that would allow school districts to create a cell phone policy. Representative Lukens, welcome to the show. First of all, Hi, Well, thank you so much. I just want you to know where I am on this particular issue. I am for cell phone bands in schools. I think cell phones are incredibly destructive, and I heard horrible things from teachers, and I'm seeing things from around the country where other districts have ban phone usage in school and the teachers and students are all on board and getting great results. Maybe not all, but most. So I'm all for this. So what does this bill actually do?
Speaker 13: So, first of all, thank you so much. I completely agree with you. Before getting elected to the Colorado House of Representatives, I was a social studies teacher at seamboat Sprims High School, and so I have seen firsthand the impact that cell phones in schools have on communities. So yes, So this bill is a local control take on cell phones in schools. And the bill mandates that school districts across the state have an effective cell phone policy in place to limit cell phones in schools. And so it gives the school boards the ability to determine what they want that policy to be. But it also is, you know, it's a local control perspective on how to do that. So it does limit cell phones in schools via the school board that makes the ultimate decision through the stakeholding process with constituents.
Speaker 2: So could a school board, in essence, say we're not going to put any restrictions on cell phones? Could that be their policy? Can ask the question again, could a school district say we're not going to put any restrictions on cell phones? Could they do that?
Speaker 13: They have to have a policy in place that limits cell phones in classrooms.
Speaker 2: Okay, when I talk about this, because I do talk about this quite a bit, I think it is a huge problem and that our kids would be so much happier if they didn't have cell phones in school. Immediately, I get a ton of pushback from parents who point out, rightly, so, we had more than our share of school shootings here, and I think parents are so freaked out about that. How do you respond to that from a parent?
Speaker 13: First of all, I would like to say that I am definitely sensitive to all of that, and I am also scared of uh, you know, gun violence and what has happened in other schools, and I'm horrified by that idea and God forbid that ever actually happen. But the first of all, when drafting the policy that school boards can put in place for they can have you know, for high school students, they can say that cell phones just need to be off and in their backpack, so if there were an emergency that were to happen, students could turn their phones on.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 13: And then also the you know, when you're in an emergency situation, sometimes you actually need to be quiet and not have people using cell phones. And so I'm definitely sensitive to that. But also we know that the the benefits overall of what limiting cell phone use in schools can do for students, for educators, for the learning environment, overall, the benefits are significant and significantly outweigh the cost. So I think that overall this system that will be put in place will help schools and maximi student learning potential. But of course if parents have those specific concerns, they can speak during public comment when their school boards are drafting up the policies that are specific and will work for their individual school district.
Speaker 2: I just watched a short documentary on a school in the UK that got all of the students to agree that for six weeks they would not use their cell phones at all, and they put them in a big bin in the middle of the like the lunch room and at the end of the six weeks, they showed a bunch of interviews with the children. So these are middle school age kids, you know, And to a child, they said, I never realized how much anxiety my phone caused me. I never realized that it prevented me from becoming friends with people that were in my classes. I feel so much better, I sleep better at night. I mean, it was pretty remarkable, and it's anecdotal, but there's more and more data out there that shows that we've got to control our kids' cell phones better than we're doing now for their own benefit.
Speaker 6: So I am all for this.
Speaker 2: Where's the bill now and what are the prospects for this?
Speaker 13: The bill actually has not been introduced yet. It is supposed to be introduced this afternoon, so we're doing a lot of press coverage to you know, get the word out. But we have been stakeholding this bill for a few months leading up to the bill being introduced, and then once it has introduced, it will be making its way through the legislative process and the Colorado House of Representatives and then hopefully it is heads over to the Colorado Senate and then to the governor.
Speaker 2: I got one question from our text line, why do school boards Wait a minute, hang on, wait a minute, that's that it it is. Why do we need pass legislation for schools to pass phone bans. Our district did it on our own several years ago. This is more to force the issue in every district.
Speaker 13: Correct, Correct, So there are some school districts that already have an effective policy in place, but we know two thirds of the largest districts in the state of Colorado do not have a policy in place. And so this still, if successful, would say that every school district needs to have a policy in place.
Speaker 2: All right, Representative Megan Luken's please keep me posted on where this bill is and how it's doing, because, as I said, I am I'm very much on board with this, but I already have some hostility on my text line. I'm telling you this is a very This is a hot topic for parents. I mean, there are parents who are going to fight with every fiber of their being to make sure their kid has a cell phone because having that connection to their kid is more important in their mind than the damage of cell phone could be doing. So it's going to be a tough row, I think at the district level. But I'm hoping at least this bill can be passed to force the conversation about what we're seeing and what the science we have right now says. So let's hope it goes.
Speaker 13: Wonderful. Yes, I look forward to engaging with those folks through the democratic process, and I always am happy to take feedback.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Representative Megan Luken's. We will talk to you again hopefully about this issue.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Have a good day. You know, I know this is a very unpopular subject with some parents. And I have a high school daughter and we communicate via text message all the time. But guys, we've got the most anxious, depressed, disconnected generation ever. And the main thing that's changed between the time I was a kid and now them is that they all have a little mini computer in their pocket that separates them from the people in their immediate vicinity. And they're too young to manage this. And I love the people who say, one more thing that schools have to do that has nothing to do with education. It has everything to do with education. There was a teacher I was watching an interview on YouTube about this like two years ago, and she said that in her classroom she spends ten to fifteen percent of the time that should be spent on instruction dealing with kids on their cell phones. So yeah, it is a matter of education. It's a matter of creating an environment where kids are best going to learn, which we already know is not going as well as it could right now. Mommy needs to know we're in the school to deliver the Starbucks, Mandy. I have a senior at BVSD. The new phone band is not a good thing, and I'd love to know more. Text or why not? Why is it not a good thing? Is it an inconvenient thing? Or is it somehow harming your student and their ability to learn? Those are the questions that I have. Convenience is one thing. You know, guys, if you're gen X, you had the same childhood I did. We went to school and if we needed our parents, we walked our happy asses down to the office and we asked to call our mom or dad. That's how you did it, og style, and oddly enough, we all survived well, I mean, the fittest among us. Anyway from Ralph, I would be more inclined to limit cell phones if the idiots running schools had real arm security, combat vets, no cops. We've seen cops fail far too often, and then he followed up with it's not about convenience. We can't trust schools to protect our kids. But then there's this text message teacher here. Sheriff trains us every year for active shooter. Sheriff always states cell phone used by students during an active shooter situation is detrimental to keep being kids safe. I have two high schoolers after training. I fully support no cell phones, especially after our training. I like this one Mandy with the cell phones. My son's school has a big pocketed sheets hanging.
Speaker 6: On the doors.
Speaker 2: When they walk in, they put their phone in the pocket and it better beyond do not disturb. That's great, But when cell phone bands are school wide like the whole day, do you know what happens to kids at lunch and in the halls They start talking to each other again. I have a friend who teaches in Orange County, Florida, that's Orlando, and they instituted a cell phone ban, and she said the difference in how students connect and interact with each other is like night and day. So it's not just about being in class and paying attention. It's allowing kids to have a minute where they are not tethered to their cell phones. Seems to me having a cell phone in a classroom and an active cell phone in a classroom as a privilege. Maybe we should empower high school kids to be like college kids and let them have their phones and keep them off and be respectful. Except that's not working. That's adorable. I mean, do not have any high school students? Have you not been in a high school? I mean, that's precious, it really is. And I think for a vast majority of kids they follow the rules, but not every kid will, and then they become a disruption for the kids that are not bringing their cell phones to school. It's not working, Mandy. I work with gen xers who tell me they need their phones because they're scared. They call into work sick constantly, do the minimum of that of what is required. They have no idea how to take a phone message. And I could go on or not, and I'm gonna assume that you meant gen zers, because gen Xers we just don't answer our phones. It's fine, completely, Mandy. Do you have any control over the advertising commercials during your show? I don't know how many cars for kids ads, I can tolerate you guys. If I you know what a rod we should have started making copies of every text message we've ever gotten about cars.
Speaker 6: For kids, And I'm I don't think we have enough room.
Speaker 2: We don't have enough room. And I'm just gonna tell you guys this, And I don't normally throw an advertiser under the bus, but I have taken this to the highest levels that I have available to me as an iHeart employee, and was basically to their check's clear. It's just out of your control. So if people would stop donating cars to them from Denver and we can make it stop. Lol. Training for school shooting, what hide and wait for cops to arrive in five minutes? Yeah, yep, because they won't let armed individuals be in the schools as they should be. But none of this matters because your kid having a cell phone in a school shooting is not necessarily going to be that helpful. And in the meantime, all of those times there's not a school shooting, all of those other hundreds of days, hopefully a vast majority of children are never going to have a school shooting never, never, never, And the rest of that time, we have anxious, depressed children who can't have a conversation with the people sitting next to them. Is that better, because I don't think it is. Your comfort as a parent should not supersede what may be better for your kid in the long run. And I'm telling you, guys, there's a growing body of evidence that cell phones are an absolute disaster. Not cell phone Like, if your kid has a flip phone, no problem, whatever, it's fine. But having a smartphone and everything that brings into that kid's hand is not good. And we've done a bad job as parents. I know I have. I mean, my kid spends way too much time on our phone. I feel like it's the ongoing conversation in our household. So I don't know, I'm just I'm looking for a reprieve for kids. I'm looking for a place where they can legitimately not answer a snap in three seconds, where they don't have to worry about anybody pinging them or anyone sending them something or you know what they're missing on Instagram. Just give them that space at school. I think they would be much happier, much much happier when we get back. Oh boy, do have a lot of stuff to talk about today, including what I think is a horrible story. Our forensics department here in Colorado is in a complete disaster situation. We're going to get into that and what that means for rape victims in Colorado and what it means for rape victims is terrible, absolutely terrible. This should be declared an emergency, and I'll explain why when we get back. Keep it on KOA.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 6: No, it's Mandy Connell.
Speaker 4: Mandy tonokam, got say ten nicety through prey, Vandy Connell, Keithing sad Thing.
Speaker 2: Welcome Black, Welcome to the third hour of the show. We are making our way through a busy broadcast Wednesday, and this next story is infuriating, you guys, really infuriating. I put a lot of it on the blog, but I haven't talked about it on the show. The Colorado Bureau of Investigations forensics department is a mess, and not necessarily a mess because of any of the people working there. Right now, they get one of their chief investigators who's now facing I think like one hundred and one or one hundred and two felonies because she falsifies data, and now all of the cases that she has had anything to do with over her multi decade career are in question. But that's what I'm going to talk about today. What I want to talk about is that right now, in the state of Colorado, if a woman or a man is sexually assaulted and goes to a hospital and has a rape kit done, a rape kit which would show DNA in many cases, a rape kit which is incredibly valuable to investigators and prosecutors who are trying to solve the case. Right now, in Colorado, it takes more than four hundred days before those rape kits are processed. Four hundred days. That is over a year, over a year where rape victims know that their perpetrators are still out on the street, They know that that person is still out there possibly victimizing another person, and they have no sense of closure or safety or any of that stuff. Four hundred days. This should be the biggest story in Colorado. This should be the thing that everyone at the capital is talking about right now. This should be the thing that the governor stands up and says, you know what, I am allocating X amount of dollars right now, and we are going to get these kits processed. We're going to get them to the ninety days that is the goal. Ninety days. That's still three months. And a friend of mine asked, how long does it take to process a rape kit? I'm like, I have no idea. I have no idea what that physical process of taking what is gathered in a rape screening and processing, I don't know. Could be thirty minutes, could be five hours, I have no idea, but four hundred days. This is one of those situations where you have to wonder why this particular form of evidence has this kind of backlog. Is it not that important? Because that would be terrible. That would be absolutely terrible. What I do know is that right now there are a lot of people working in the forensics field that are retesting. A lot of the former investigators now been charged with felonies a lot of her work, so they can't get to these rape kits. So what exactly are we going to do about it? What exactly is our Colorado legislature has found millions of ways to waste a ton of money on other crap? Are they going to put the money together by the way. Connecticut and Massachusetts both cleared their backlogs in their labs within thirty days, both of which had the same amount of kits that they are currently processing in about a year. So how did Connecticut and Massachusetts do it? Why can't we send somebody there to find out and then do it, because we're leaving people who've already been victimized, We're hanging them out to dry. And it's just it's ugh. It is very, very hard to be someone who is sexually assaulted who then has the strength and wherewithal to go to the police, to go through the added humiliation of a rape exam, which is not pleasant. And they do it because that's the only chance they're going to have to get justice, the only chances they're going to keep that peron from doing it to someone else. And so they swallow their pride and they're hurt and they upset, and they go do it, and we can't even bother to test the kits for over four hundred days. This is just you know, we have Democrats right now who are trying to push through a gun bill that is absolutely going to be challenged in court because it's the most raconian gun bill in the country if they've passed it. It flew out of committee yesterday three to two, after nine hours of people testifying, mostly against it. Of course the Democrats were, oh, yeah, we're going to do that. So they're willing to commit millions of dollars to defending a gun ban that is clearly going to be unconstitutional at some point. But they can't commit millions of dollars to get this cleared. They can't enlist the help of outside people. They can't hire someone on a contract basis to come in and help take care of this problem. And why is this okay? Why was it allowed to get to four hundred days because at some point it was maybe one hundred and twenty days. Somebody should have sounded the alarm then, but they didn't. And now it's over four hundred days, and we have women who and you know, I try to be gender neutral, because men do get sexually assaulted, but let's be real, a vast majority of these people are going to be female, like an overwhelming majority. So I want to be clear. I know that men do get sexually assaulted, but not nearly the numbers of women who are now waiting over four hundred days for the CBA to even be able to investigate their case. It's absolutely, absolutely terrible, absolutely terrible, and representative. SOAPER is working on this now representative, but buff uh, what's represented? I think it's Matthew Soper for some reason, I can't remember his first name, but he's working on it. He's now returning legislation that he filed in twenty twenty one. He co sponsored protect Survivor's Rights to rape KIP evidence to ensure victims are notified before evidence is destroyed, and after he heard testimony from rape victims, he realized we are not doing enough. And he's absolutely right. So this is an absolute mess. I certainly hope others at the capital are paying attention to this because it's shameful. By the way, our wreck, our levels of sexual assault are pretty high compared to other states. So yeah, yeah, we got that going for us when we get back. You know, President Trump has issued a slew of executive orders. They are so so many, so fast, it's really crazy. But one he issued yesterday I think is going to have a huge impact and possibly save a lot of children from unnecessary medical procedures that they just don't need. It's called protecting children from chemical and surgical mutilation, and it bans chemical and surgical sex change procedures for minors, not adults. And I'm always really clear to delineate that line. When you turn eighteen, if you want to go down that path, feel free. I support you in that journey. Go knock yourself out. But for children, we don't let them sign contracts for a reason. We don't let them get face tattoos for a reason. We don't let them drive cars for a reason because they're simply not smart, mature, and nor do they have enough life experience to make decisions about their fertility before they're even old enough to understand what sex is. You know, I this is probably the best one out there in my mind. When we get back, I'm gonna talk about reading scores. You guys, I don't want to talk about that. I don't want talk about anything else negative. I'm sick of it. I'm absolutely sick of it. Gosh, what can we talk about that's not awful? You know what we're going to talk about when we get back, bark at the park. You know every professional team has them, Ay right? I found it even better video than the one you sent me because the one that the Tampa Bay Rays play a doorbell sound to get the dogs going. This new Jersey team, they played a doorbell and you can hear the dogs going crazy. That's what we're gonna talk about next. Yeah, we're gonna do that next. A busy broadcast day and I cannot get to the stupid Wall Street Journal story that I'm trying to get to. Er it is paywall that I read it already, so I can just share it with you. And it has to do with the National Wait a minute, let me make sure I have the right the National Assessment of Educational Process. It's known as the NAPE tests, and the NAPE tests are the only consistent test that is given to students across the country. It's not given to all students, and they only given in fourth and eighth grade, so it's just they call it the snapshot, like this is just a gross macro look at education in the United States of America, and it shows some bad news. The sixty seven percent of eighth graders who scored at a basic or better reading level in twenty twenty four was the lowest share since testing began in nineteen ninety two. Only sixty percent of fourth graders hit that benchmark, nearing record lows. The decline started before the pandemic, continued during it, and have persisted since. While the lowest achieving students fell further behind everyone else, The slides were brought affecting students across different states, school types, races, and economic backgrounds. I have a theory, and you know I'm gonna share it because I love to share them my theories. My theory is this that COVID did just incredible damage. And that's just not my theory. That is being born out over and over and over again. But it happened at a time when a couple things happened around reading. Ten to fifteen years ago. We started adopting these reading curriculums where kids were just supposed to guess what words meant, which works when words are three letters long. You know, you can look at a picture, you can infer a meaning. But for higher level comprehension, that's a disastrous way to go about it, and at that time we get hit with the pandemic. At that time, parents, I don't think parents are reading to their kids the same way parents read to me, because we are on our phones too much. I read to Qes starting when she was a tiny baby. I mean when obviously she had no idea what I was saying except I was there standing and I was reading her stories. I read stories to her every night before bed until she was too old, which honestly was like the first year of COVID.
Speaker 11: Was.
Speaker 2: After that she was like, no, I don't need a bed toime. And now I don't even know she goes to bed. She just like goes to bed and doesn't even say good night. That's where we are. But I think all of these things converged at the same time. I know that a lot of people, I know, the only reading they do is on their phones, and it could be a book on their phones. A lot of people have Kindle on their phones. I'm not knocking any way, you consume literature, always want to be clear about that. If you listen to audiobooks, I still think that counts.
Speaker 10: I do.
Speaker 2: As long as you're consuming literature, it's cool. But this is one of those things that also again should be a crisis, because well, if kids can't read, there's a lot they can do. Now, I promise this story, and I just want to play a little bit from the bark at the park night. This is somewhere in New Jersey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, as do his one and thirty one hits total.
Speaker 5: Only girth with one too Bashett once again late on the swing and he sends it foul to the right. Also ranks out there in the stolen based category, second most stolen bangs in the league with twenty nine. How the doorbell sound effect played over the sound. So I'm here at Armenhamer Park and of course here on bark in the park. That's uh, that's asking for some noise.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's essentially you.
Speaker 8: Know what that is.
Speaker 2: That's dun dunt dund dun dent dun dun dent for dogs.
Speaker 6: I love all of that.
Speaker 1: I do do.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's so awesome.
Speaker 2: I wish I wish Jinks was not so excitable around and not excited a little a bad way in an excited way. But when she's when you're one hundred and fifty five pounds and you're an excitable dog around other dogs, it's not conducive to bark at the.
Speaker 6: Park with Poppy.
Speaker 5: The sounds definitely get are going, but it's hearing the rest of the neighborhood dogs going.
Speaker 6: And she goes, oh wait, what's going on?
Speaker 2: I gotta chige in too. Yeah, I gotta get into her chorus.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's it, that's what I want. Yeah, to be part of the store.
Speaker 7: Dog.
Speaker 6: When that one gets going in a I've been alerted, I gotta tell about humans.
Speaker 2: Jinx doesn't really bark with the other neighborhood dogs. She stands on our back deck and looks at them judgingly, unlike her owners.
Speaker 6: Poppy is not a trendsetter. Poppery Poppy is a followower.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, every you know what, Not everybody can be a trendsetter with all the followers. The trendsetters don't really send any trends. We're gonna take a quick time out when we get back. Heidigan All has a fantastic column in the Rocky Mountain Voice today about the things that make Colorado a sanctuary state. The governor keeps trying to say we're not, but in that famous line from Princess Bride, I do not think that word means what you think it means when it comes to sanctuary states. We'll do that right after this, as we invite our next guest, Heidi Ganal, to come on the show this morning in The Rocky Mountain Voice, where you can always find that at Rockymountain Voice dot com. She wrote a great column about, Yes, Governor, we are a sanctuary state.
Speaker 8: Hidi.
Speaker 2: First of all, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 8: Thanks Mandy. It's great to be here. Boy, what a's time to be a lot.
Speaker 2: I want to play this for you because I have to give Kyle Clark kudos for this exchange with the governor. Go ahead and give you my audio grant here we go.
Speaker 9: So misleading to say not in any way, shape or form is it's a sanctuary state.
Speaker 6: We cooperate fully with.
Speaker 10: Our federal partners in all criminal matters, and we're work closely with FBI, with DEA, with ICE, always have and we always plan to because it's part of what we need to do to make Colorado safer.
Speaker 6: That being said, we.
Speaker 10: Also have laws in place to make sure that the federal government doesn't get to co opt local law enforcement, taking them off the beat of keeping Colorado safe and preventing auto theft and drug dealing to instead force federal immigration statutes.
Speaker 6: If you're saying that we are.
Speaker 9: Absolutely not a sanctuary state in any way, shape or form, could you define what you would see a sanctuary jurisdiction as.
Speaker 10: Then well, Colorado fully cooperates with any valid federal warrant, federal order. We cooperate in any way we can to get criminals off the street. And so if there are states or jurisdictions that don't, you know, I personally think that's the wrong way to go.
Speaker 2: Now, Heidi, the governor seems to be using his own definition of sanctuary state. But my favorite part is when he's like, I don't know what a sanctuary state is, but.
Speaker 7: We're not that.
Speaker 2: In your column, you sort of said, here you go. You know, you've got to you've got to admit we certainly have some sanctuary state life policies. Tell me a little bit about what you've got in this column.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, Mandy, he is a gaslight governor. That's the best turnum I can come up with for him. Like he literally thinks we don't look around and see what's going on and understand that. He's like, he's both faced lying about this, and it was one of the key issues we debated about in the governor's race, and he didn't have any trouble admitting that we were sanctuary state. Back then, but the critical piece of legislation was back in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 8: It's HB nineteen eleven twenty four.
Speaker 12: It explicitly prohibits law enforcement from detaining individuals based solely on ice detainers that leads to releases without a transfer to federal custody.
Speaker 8: So they basically just evade the Feds and don't cooperate with them.
Speaker 12: That's one of many pieces of legislation that have led us to being a sanctuary state. And if you ask any law enforcement person in Colorado to listen to that clip, they would laugh.
Speaker 8: They would literally laugh at that.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, some reporters have done just that. They've gone to Denver Sheriff's office and said what do you do? And they're like, we don't cooperate. I mean, I have to. Part of me, I'm not gonna lie, Heidi like part of me, admires him for adopting the George Costanza methodology of it's not a lie if you believe it. You know what I mean, because because I am often amazed at his consistency and telling people that we are not what we clearly are, and as a matter of fact, in our news just a moment ago, we had a sound bite from one of the guys who's helping immigrants, you know, figure out what to do next, and he said, well, with our sanctuary laws. And I'm like, okay, So here's a guy who's on the same side as the governor ostensibly, and he's talking about sanctuary laws. It's almost absurd. But yet here we are having this conversation about what a sanctuary state is or what it's not. What did you find out specifically about that?
Speaker 12: Well, as an example, a Rapo and Adams County they do not track ice not vacations, and they don't honor detainers because of the state laws that don't recognize those practices.
Speaker 8: So a lot of this is just smoke and mirrors.
Speaker 12: It's like these laws exist, the governor doesn't want to really talk about them.
Speaker 8: But in reality the reality of what happens.
Speaker 12: Day to day is that there's there has not been any cooperation between local law enforcement or state law enforcement and the Federal Enforcement Arm. And the Federal Enforcement Arm was being told to stand down. Right now, they're active, they're engaged, they're doing things in Colorado, and so I think it's just kind of shock and awe right now. I don't think the Democrats or our leadership here, including Jared Pulas know quite how to navigate this yet. Now, Jared is a master manipulator, He's a great politician, so he's going to leverage this however you can, to make himself look good.
Speaker 8: But again, you can't lie to our seeing eyes.
Speaker 12: We all understand what's happening here, and this is not a figment of our imagination.
Speaker 8: It's real.
Speaker 12: It's affecting families, it's affecting our children. And what's going to have happened in the coming months, I think is going to be very telling for what happens in the twenty six mid terms and what happens to Jared Pulis's shot at being president someday.
Speaker 2: You know, I find it interesting to your point about his I believe he has presidential aspirations. Of course, we all know this. I think he's going to run in twenty twenty eight, no doubt about it in my mind.
Speaker 8: And I have to look at this.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at this like, what is he doing. How is he going to massage this for his presidential run? Because to your point, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck. It's a sanctuary state, right. I mean, there's no other way to look at the bills that we have passed and that he has signed and make any other assumption. And yet he's just going to keep saying it's not. And I bet you that he's going to convince at least some people that he's right. And I don't even know how to combat that. I really don't. I'm baffled. That's where my admiration for his political acumen comes from, because he's created man in his mythology.
Speaker 12: It ends up how it ends up happening is when the election comes around, people this is going to be in their memory.
Speaker 8: They're like long gone from their memory.
Speaker 12: They're going to spend tens of millions of dollars or he will on ads that are going to say something very different. A lot of people don't pay attention to the day to day of what's happening in politics, and he'll get away with it, just like he did in our governor's race, lying about certain things and the ads and on the TV and on the radio, and we don't have the resources to push back necessarily, or to do counter ads, or to really educate the voters on a day to day basis between elections so that they don't get caught off guard and believe believe the things they put up on air.
Speaker 2: Then well, I mean, did you have the same feeling that I had the other day when Mayor Mike Johnston was basically notified by Congress that they expect him to be in DC to talk about Denver sanctuary policies. And I was like, oh, look at this, and I said on Twitter, I was like, Oh, if it's the consequences of someone's actions, how do you think the mayor, Mayor Mike Johnston is going to do in that congressional testimony?
Speaker 12: Oh goodness, it's I mean, it depends on how it goes who's after him, but I believe they're going to try and hold him accountable and call him out for his terrible policies and what he's doing to a beautiful city of Denver. I mean, it's this isn't a horribly difficult problem to solve, And I know that sounds simplistic, but if you let law enforcement do their job, if you let ice do their job, if you hold people accountable and follow the laws that are on the books around enforcement of these laws, then this would get cleaned up pretty quickly, I believe, But they've got to be willing to do that, and that goes against a big part of their party, that the progressive side of the base.
Speaker 8: And the problem is police can't really upset them.
Speaker 12: Johnston specifically can't upset them, and I do believe they probably think the answers are somewhere in the middle, but they're they're dancing that crazy political dance to make sure that they can win the next selection.
Speaker 2: Jared Polis is dancing at harder because he knows that he's going to have to have some bipartisan support when he runs for president. May Ormike Johnstone, to me, seems to be very comfortable running Denver as a progressive, openly being a progressive. I don't think he feels any compulsion to try to moderate on anything, and to me, that says he doesn't have aspirations beyond maybe, you know, taking over Diana to get seat when she decides to retire, because he would never have to work with the other side then. But I actually think he's in over his head here, Heidi. I really think that he is going to have to go and try and explain what's going on in Denver when in my experience, when you ask the mayor a question, he uses a lot of words, but he doesn't say a lot. So I'm wondering how that's going to come across in Congress where they're on time limits and these members of Congress have a point to make. I think it could be a disaster for the mayor, to be perfectly honest, I do too.
Speaker 12: And Mandy, I've heard different things I've heard he did. I don't know if he still wants to run for governor, perhaps US Senate when hicks seat is up, or Bennett's seat if Bennett drop like decides not to run again. I do think he has higher aspirations. I think that's why Reid Huffman and Mike Bloomberg have helped him. But to your point, I think he's done a lot of destructive things for that path. I don't think he's going to appeal to the middle of the road, but he certainly could win over the Denver voters to get to get seat when she retires, which maybe sooner than later.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're looking for more columns, Heidie's column really great coverage. Rocky Mountain Voice is doing it every day online. They've got really good people writing for them. What was the other story I wanted to ask you? You didn't write it or one of your It's on Rocky Mountain Voice to hang on, just give me a second, Give me a second, and I'll find it very very quickly.
Speaker 8: I think his elevator music. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, vamp for me, Vamp for me. I don't know what it was, but I will find it.
Speaker 8: Is going on with the wolves right now?
Speaker 2: Well, I got to tell you somebody just sent me a story that said, Hey, somebody gets killed in one of the counties that the wolves were released in and they say it was an animal attack, but they can't identify what kind of animal it was. And I was like, could this be a wolf?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Wolves don't generally attack people though, but I think that's a very interesting problem to have, you know what I mean. Now we got to figure out what's killing someone and hope it isn't the wolves.
Speaker 12: Well, and Mandy, a really important thing that I can come back on and talk to you more in depth, or we could have Lindy Brown or our editor talk to you, a writer talk to you about is now that the Trump administration is in play and has a little bit more say over what happens with NEPA and some of these environmental studies and laws. They need to come in and delete or stop any agreements that they have with the State of Colorado that is allowing the state to kind of.
Speaker 8: Override what they do.
Speaker 12: That's really really important and going to be significant in our wolf policy going forward and in our ag policy, etc. So if anyone from the Trump administration is listening, you got to get on this. You've got to delete any agreements that you have that allow the state to run things where you have the authority to run it, because that's what the Biden administration did. They defer to pol Us to let him and his bureaucracies run things here, and they have a lot of power that they can delete with a pen, I believe by doing away with some of the agreements.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've just found the other thing that I wanted to talk about. The Rocky Mountain Voice has a full list of President Trump's executive orders so far. Is that going to be updated so I can go back and look at it when I need to.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, we will do it. Just for you, Mandy, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you taking the hard part of my job and making it easier. Hidiganball. She is part of the team behind Rocky Mountain Voice dot com and you can read the column that she wrote that lists out the bills that make us the sanctuary state no matter what the governor tries to tell us. Heidi, good to see you again.
Speaker 8: We'll see you soon, you too, Thanks, Mandy.
Speaker 2: All right, that is heidiganal and joining me in the studio. Now Rob Dus and everybody. Hey, I heard you just now on the phone, and this is all I hear Rob say. I'm just super awkward on social media and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing. I was like, true words have never been spoken about Rob Us right there, I'm that awkward.
Speaker 14: What I meant by awkward was we're talking about doing video and audio at the same time. On the Super Bowl piece, I've normally talked to the to the teams bars remember each team as a watch party in this in the city, because we're all trands correct correct transplants. So I'm trying to hold you know, I don't have good success of holding the phone and talking in my sick mic and doing the interview things right right, So.
Speaker 2: You're you're struggling with that. Yeah, yeah, you know, Arod can help you with that. I know I was going to be in New Orleans. Sorry, yeah, well no, he's here this, he's here for He's here until Sunday. Maybe I don't know. Yeah, yeah, I think he's going to be out. Yeah, okay, well there you go. So in any case, I will give robit tutorial on that, because that is going to be a big thing. You guys have a couple of videos on the blog if you didn't hear the beginning of the show. First of all, the blog is really good today if I do say so myself. But I have a couple of things on the blog. One is a dog wearing a ski mask holding one of those cameras that videotapes them as he goes through a house. And that, my friends, is why I have the internet. That video right there, And happy tenth anniversary to the legendary Marshawn Lynch interview where he had to sit down for media day with the press and the only thing he would say is I'm just here so I won't get fined for the entire time that he sat with the media. I have that little video on the blog and you know what, as a member of the media, I find that frustrating, But as a human being, I thought it was hilarious. I think you're just playing for the Seahawks. Yeah, yeah, so I love that. Like I said, as a member of the media, I'm super frustrated, but honestly, it was hilarious, completely hilarious. Another thing happened at yesterday's press conference that I find very interesting. The White House is inviting new media content creators who specialize in news, that are creating content for news to apply for White House press credentials.
Speaker 14: Well, I mean, this is where it's going right well, and because apparently because of.
Speaker 2: Baron Trump, I mean whatever, his show, Theovon Show he did Joe Rogan, and I really believe that that helped him so much with the demographics that listened to those shows.
Speaker 14: Absolutely so he was able to shave just just enough to bump up, yep, the other demographics exactly.
Speaker 2: So I think that's very interesting. I can only imagine some of the applications are going to get from some of these new media content creators with like follower I'm gonna I'm sure they're asking social media followers and stuff like that. People don't realize now. When I reached out to certain people for an interview, they send you a questionnaire that says, how many social media followers do you have on each platform? How many downloads does your podcast have? They want to know all that stuff before they'll greed to come on the show. Normally, those are the very, very digitally savvy guests that I want to have on the show.
Speaker 15: Those are the guests we don't get on the taking it for great yea, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's any consolation, I don't get the ves. Okay, I'd love to love to talk about myself is big time.
Speaker 11: You know what?
Speaker 2: I just heard Joe Rogan's podcast and twenty twenty four. Guess how many downloads? How many streams total?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: For the whole year? Who year, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 15: So he probably has a couple episodes every week. I'm gonna go with two hundred.
Speaker 2: Million, five hundred million, guys. I don't think there is a an entertainment network that reaches that many people on a consistent basis, No that exists.
Speaker 14: Right now, or just repeat listeners, because five hundred million people is more than the United States, So that was over the whole year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's going to be listeners. But still, even if you only have what thirty million people listening to you on a regular basis.
Speaker 14: Thirty million is like an NFC championship game.
Speaker 2: You're reaching more people than any news media outlet. Like right now, you're beating everybody on Fox News. You're beating everybody.
Speaker 15: Hey, if you want to catch up on Joe Rogan's download numbers, for taking it for granted, new episode dropped to death, subscribe please there you go, Well done, Well.
Speaker 2: Done, And now it's time for the most exciting segment. By the way, just as a point of reference, in all of my show podcasts since we started podcasting, like seven eight years ago, I have had five million downloads just as a point, I'm only ninety five million per year short. And now it's time for the most exciting segment on the radio of its kind in the world.
Speaker 7: Of the day.
Speaker 2: All right, what is our dad joke of the day?
Speaker 8: Please?
Speaker 15: Rob us in the world just gets me laugh at every town beat.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, it's a little like he's a little e or but it's okay, it's change your pace yeah. Yeah, it's a nice nix it up joke of the day.
Speaker 15: A shout out to the guy who played the triangle with our band for the last few years.
Speaker 6: Thanks for everything. Wow, I love that joke.
Speaker 2: Anyway, what is our word of the day.
Speaker 6: Word of the day is diverse E I V E R S. It's an ad wait a bit.
Speaker 2: We just had this, grab another one. Diverse is. It's not diverse, it's I can't remember what it means, but we just had this one.
Speaker 6: All right, let's go to see what the word of the day today is holding her I know.
Speaker 15: Umm, facetious, facetious adjectivity.
Speaker 2: Serious, Yeah, it's not serious.
Speaker 6: Tongue in cheek, yes, humorous are funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. What is the largest native waterfowl in North America?
Speaker 6: The loon, the lune.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go sand.
Speaker 6: Hill Crane's way better.
Speaker 2: We're wrong, you are correct. What the trumpeter swand they're one of North America's heaviest flying birds. When we were in Europe, I was sitting on the outside on the deck watching the world go by, and two swans come flying up. It was a female and a male, right, so honestly, honest to God, it looked like the female was just pissed off at the male. She was flying and she would land and he would kind of land and she would fly away and he would It was it was just like Get Lover's Coral in the Swan world anyway, Rob DAWs and Mandy Cottle, what's our category?
Speaker 15: Category for today? Four letter friends? Okay, we're letter friends?
Speaker 6: Musically cool? Had one?
Speaker 2: Manny? What's a gang?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 6: You love your best?
Speaker 15: These also where flowers spring from.
Speaker 2: Flowers?
Speaker 11: What is it?
Speaker 6: You love your best?
Speaker 15: These also where flowers spring from I don't know, I have no idea, Rob, what is birds?
Speaker 6: Both four letters? Both wrong? Buds?
Speaker 2: Oh bud, It's okay, there you go.
Speaker 15: Milwaukee's MLB team is sometimes referred.
Speaker 2: To the Rob.
Speaker 6: What is correct? I'll give it to you.
Speaker 14: Well, yeah, because there were two words, but there were both four letters.
Speaker 15: Yeah, okay, rest easy, Tunisia's on our side. In twenty fifteen, it was even designated a major non NATO this.
Speaker 2: What's ally correct? Score two to zero to zero?
Speaker 15: All right? This word for a friend can also mean bait to attract sharks.
Speaker 2: Mandy's chum correct jump jump jum jum jump jump jump jumping. All right, all right, guys, we'll be back tomorrow, and tomorrow's gonna snow, so it's gonna be snow apocalypse, just like whatever it may or may not snow. Dave Fraser was very clear about that he had no idea. He has no idea.
Speaker 6: Does that mean you'll be working from home?
Speaker 2: Because I am going on a tour of Children's Hospital tomorrow morning, which I'm very much looking forward to because we're working again with them, with the Mighty Millions raffle where they actually always give away the home that's the best. Yeah. So I'm going to go do a tour in the morning, so I will be here for the show. Uh, not that that matters to the audience, because y'all can't tell where I am half the time.
Speaker 15: Anyway, Yeah, that basement setup I am really jealous of.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we're gonna make room. Ka Wa Sports coming up next, Keep it on, Kowa