Speaker 1: Sword and Scale contains adult themes and violence, and is not intended for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: So how did you kill it? Tell us how you kill it?
Speaker 3: I don't know, because it wasn't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't.
Speaker 5: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't.
Speaker 1: So I come back from basically almost less than a week of a break, and I put out three episodes for you. I put out Sword and Scale Television. I put out Nightmares, the Return of Nightmares by the Way, season three, and brand new Sword and Scale. And what do I get? I get complaints. I get some guy complaining, Oh my god, this isn't the out his story I want if so, Oh my god, I'm gonna complain. You guys are miserable. I want to kill you to just say thank you. I mean, really, you don't work this hard. I know it. I can tell you're gonna miss me when I'm gone. Promise you that it's some nicky always complaining. I bring you all the true crime in the world, and all you do is complain. You people owe me. Go buy a shirt right now. Go buy a shirt. Do owe me your shirt, go my hat hat storytskil dot com. Go right now, all right enough silliness, can we start? This is Season thirteen, episode three hundred and thirty I Don't Know something of Sword and Scale show that reveals that the worst monsters are real. Every family has a story that they don't expect to tell. In Waller County, Texas, two families were bound together by a relationship, a marriage, and a moment of unimaginable violence.
Speaker 6: On the eleventh Yesterday, approximately four to eighteen pm, we received a call through dispatch there's a possible deceased person twenty one year old female inside a residence located behind two six Ocllo. Upon arrival, they did find a deceased person inside the house. It was a portion of a body dismembered and a residence that was covered in blood, and so a gruesome scene at best. Further investigation led to the family being detained in the suspect placed into custody for what we're assuming is going to be a murder charge.
Speaker 1: In the end, on the flat coastal plains of southeast Texas, something unthinkable happened. It was January twelfth, twenty twenty three. The Sheriff of Waller County stepped up to the microphones. He told the press what he could. By then, most of the facts were known, what happened, who was involved, where, when and how. The only question left was why. That would take some time. Days later, investigators sat down with someone who knew her best, her uncle, Irvin Oreeyana.
Speaker 2: She hadn't been here very long.
Speaker 3: Correct can tell you about how she got here? She was for Indie, did you really know here?
Speaker 7: She came along with her two brothers.
Speaker 1: O Angie Diaz came to the United States when she was just seventeen. She crossed the border with her two brothers. They were undocumented, but hopeful and determined. Like so many before her, she was chasing something simple, a better life. She landed in Waller County, just northwest of Houston and moved in with her uncle. It wasn't glamorous, but it was safe, it was clean, and for Angie it was a start.
Speaker 7: She was always uncle teaching me how to ride the room or outdo it for you, And she was always she always had that initiately of doing something for their help because she felt grateful that she was living with us.
Speaker 3: But on our way she felt.
Speaker 8: Like I can't, I can't put my so much weight on your shoulder.
Speaker 3: Uncle, I got to help you somehow.
Speaker 1: Angie carried her weight, helping her uncle and contributing in any way she could. They were fans, but she didn't want to be a burden. Her uncle didn't put any pressure on her about finding a job or contributing financially. She was still young, but one eventuality worried him, and I.
Speaker 9: Even talked with her one day, if I know, eventually you're going to meet someone, and when that time comes, there.
Speaker 3: Will be some set of rules at home for you to follow.
Speaker 1: Of course, Angie accepted her uncle's rules. She settled in, started to learn English, and found a job at the local Hispanic meat market called Chepez. Chepe is Spanish slang for Jose. It's like calling a place Joe's for those monolingual people out there. And it wasn't long before she proved her uncle right and met someone. She followed the rules and told her an uncle she was just starting to get to know them. The relationship would build and the family would finally meet him. But not long after that she broke it off.
Speaker 8: I broke up with Jose to us he was very surprisingly useful. Before we went to a vacation, she had even bet a wedding dress because they were thinking of getting married.
Speaker 3: And you know so, and then.
Speaker 8: We came from vacation and all of a sudden she broke up with her. Said to us, was like, so very surprised.
Speaker 1: I think Angie was young, but she was clear about what she wanted. She said, there wasn't another guy. What bothered her was Jose's indecision and his reliance on his mother. He was a bit of a mama's boy. Angie wanted something more.
Speaker 3: I had not met anyone.
Speaker 8: It's just that I don't think things are going to work out. I need a real man in life. In my life, I can keep wasting my time with the kid.
Speaker 3: She said.
Speaker 1: And she had large aspirations in life and had the work ethic to achieve them. The last thing she wanted to do was waste it with a mama's boy. She needed a man instead with similar life goals. Her uncle, though suspected that maybe she'd already met him.
Speaker 8: Later, I had a conversation with her, just one on one.
Speaker 3: I told her, and I need you to be honest with me.
Speaker 10: Is there anyone you're getting to know? Anyone you're talking with and you to know is there someone else in your life, because I'm responsible what happens to you. And she said, yeah, yeah, I met someone and right now we're not going out, we're.
Speaker 3: Just getting to know each other. And I said, okay, it's fine, thank you for letting me know.
Speaker 1: That's when Jared Dykis showed up. He was quiet, but there was something about him put it that way. Here's how his dad, Rodney remembers the first time Jared met Angie.
Speaker 5: The pickup line that he used to get her to call it. Apparently he had gone into the store where she was working at and.
Speaker 3: He was looking at his phone and he told her.
Speaker 5: He said, I'm sorry, I don't know what to do or something to the dead line.
Speaker 3: And she's like, what he said, I cannot find your number in here? May she gave him this.
Speaker 5: Number and next when they started dating. What kind of relationship that they have? That's you know, I thought that it was a pretty cool relationship because every time you heard them too, they were laughing. In her life, it was just something it's just pretty cool, pretty cool laugh.
Speaker 1: Jared wasn't anything like Jose. He had a career as an electrician, and more importantly, he didn't have to ask his mom for mission every time he did something. He was also white with bright red hair, which earned him the nickname Rojo around Chepez meat market. In case you didn't know, Rojo is Spanish for red. They talked constantly, video calls, voice messages, that sort of thing. They were falling in love.
Speaker 9: Eventually she came home she liked Luke uncle, and I really.
Speaker 3: Love him a lad.
Speaker 10: And he loves me a lot, and that we have decided to get married, and I would.
Speaker 3: Like you to be the whitnes.
Speaker 1: He thought to himself, what can I do, I'm just the uncle. If Angie wanted to marry Jared, he wasn't going to stand in her way. By this time, she was twenty one years old, a grown woman who could make her own decisions. She could do whatever she wanted, whether or without his approval. But even before the family could meet Jared, she tied the knot. She texted her uncle a picture of her and her new husband. On the steps of the courthouse, Jared carried Angie across his arms as they kissed. Her white dress shimmered in the sunlight. When Angie's uncle finally met Jared, he was impressed. Jared was always clean and well dressed. He was polite. He always shook hands, but he was quiet. He couldn't speak Spanish, so he was often lost during conversations, but he tried to be part of the family. During Christmas, he bought Angie's little cousin's nerf guns and played Nintendo with them. It was all very wholesome.
Speaker 8: He gave it his perspective and matured persia.
Speaker 1: It was a whirlwind relationship. They had been dating for a few months when they got married in the fall of twenty twenty two, but both Angie and Jared gave it their af Jared started spending all his money to convert a small outbuilding on his parents' property into an efficiency apartment for them. Angie started taking beach body training courses, even flying to Florida to attend. She had her sights on becoming a fitness instructor. They were happy with their whole lives ahead of them. Isn't that usually how it starts? While they're can I.
Speaker 5: Now one one point neighbors Rodney Dragons to meet its angels and police.
Speaker 3: The two or six olleg fool apart.
Speaker 11: Okay, what's going on? I don't know everything but my frien's wives is please okay, oh my.
Speaker 1: Okay, where is he at?
Speaker 4: He's in my house.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is your house.
Speaker 5: They have they have a dueling on my property.
Speaker 10: Oh my god, nothing out.
Speaker 3: He holler home and.
Speaker 1: Okay, So just just calm down.
Speaker 12: We're getting deep on road.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 11: And you said, God.
Speaker 10: Gonna okay, and you said, this is fut You.
Speaker 3: Know he's my daughter in law.
Speaker 11: She's my daughter in law.
Speaker 1: Angie was dead. Rodney Dykas found his daughter in law lying in a pool of blood in Jared's apartment. It was clear, even to Rodney that only one person could have been responsible.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, prefurrys along with my sun.
Speaker 7: He has no weather. He's in my house.
Speaker 3: He's laying in the floor crying.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, oh my god, oh son.
Speaker 1: Rodney was clearly in anguish, but he had to call nine on one because Jared's mother, Lynn couldn't. She saw Angie's body too, and just lost it. Her legs gave. She went down on the ground in the front yard and couldn't get back up, crying, wailing, waiting for the police to arrive. Her husband, Jared was balled up on the floor inside his parents' house, also crying. The whole situation didn't make any sense, but Rodney had felt something was coming.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I stole him in the US. Oh my god, I stole him there.
Speaker 13: I stole him there too.
Speaker 3: I had him in the hospital two days accounts.
Speaker 2: He was hearing voices.
Speaker 3: I told her that she could excuse him the doctor Sitney.
Speaker 1: The scene got hectic quickly well. The dispatcher was relaying this information over the radio. The EMTs were out of the loop. They walked into something they never expected.
Speaker 14: There look to me like a towel on the floor and pink socks from what I could originally see. As I began to step up the steps, I could see underneath the towel there looked like blood. It looked like there's some blood on the floor as well. Because we had no information, didn't know what had happened. As she committed to the side with a shotgun.
Speaker 3: You know what we were walking into.
Speaker 14: There's a desk immediately to the right of me. When I walked in, the door looked like it had a computer on it. And as I looked around the desk, I could see her feet stepped in further and I could see the rest of the body, and then I realized there was the patient did not have a head.
Speaker 3: At that point, my crew was coming up behind me and.
Speaker 2: I stopped them.
Speaker 3: I said, back out.
Speaker 14: We're in a crime scene. And they said they kind of looked at me and they realized look on my face. But even until me later that like we saw the look in your face, we knew that there was nothing we were going to do. So they backed out. I backed out.
Speaker 2: I and mascot, their vice paramiedic what we had.
Speaker 3: I said, there's nothing we could do.
Speaker 1: This wasn't a suicide or accidental death. This was a crime scene and very obviously, so.
Speaker 3: I need crime scene and to this location.
Speaker 1: Deputies were already enrouted, still more surprised, as we're waiting on Oakcallow Boulevard.
Speaker 11: Oh gossip and thanks who you got the same.
Speaker 3: Amerger? Sure emergency over nursed you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I believe. Deputy assessed the scene. Jared was already in the back of a patrol car. His mom Lynn was weeping on the front lawn. His father, Rodney, paced back and fourth when he wasn't seated on his writing mower. Other deputies kept them separate. And took all of their phones. The lead deputy had the big picture, but the lead paramedic filled in the details.
Speaker 15: Yea was just crudely distaputated.
Speaker 13: Back hit it in the bathtub.
Speaker 11: I mean it's a redhead.
Speaker 13: It's no, it's just dark. No, the one, the one you got, the one you got detained redheaded more Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: The responding deputy thought he knew exactly what this was, that redhead boy. He'd seen them before, But as the scene unfolded, something didn't sit right. What they found inside that small apartment was worse than anyone expected, and the truth was far stranger than the assumptions that had brought them there. Whatever happened wasn't just violent, It was something deeper. It was something harder to name. The body of Angie Diaz was found on the floor of a small apartment she shared with her husband, Jared Dykas, but her head was found in the bathtub.
Speaker 6: And this was taking place in a residence occupied by himself, the suspect, and the wife the deceased, living behind the parents' house.
Speaker 16: Turning down to what appears to be a horrific case of domestic violent in Waller County and We do want to warn you the details in this case are very disturbing.
Speaker 6: Everything happened on the property and all parts and pieces were recovered and submitted for evidence.
Speaker 16: She was found dead this past Wednesday.
Speaker 12: Investigators say that our husband, Jared Dykas, had killed her with a kitchen knife, severing our head from her body.
Speaker 6: It is gruesome. It's a gruesome crime. And the best you can say is that the world we live in today and it is. It's a gruesome scene and both sides of these families are going to be altered by it, either way suspect and or the victims.
Speaker 12: They were only married in October and now he is.
Speaker 1: Charged with her murder. Nearly weds. Jared and Angie had so much promise. Now Jared was charged with her murder. But the media calling it a horrific case of domestic violence didn't really tell the whole story. You see, the Sheriff's department was familiar with the address.
Speaker 6: There has been prior calls disturbance wise, but nothing to this effect and to this level of violence.
Speaker 11: This this old crazy boy.
Speaker 13: Yeah you've been here before.
Speaker 2: I haven't been here before.
Speaker 3: Yeah I was were was old redhead who have been down to care right here with his mob.
Speaker 6: He's saying, you think how much.
Speaker 3: The person and now he takes it up there.
Speaker 1: When they got there, they assumed it would be more of the same, but his deputies talked with the father, Rodney.
Speaker 13: John's that on information you wouldn't have to know Miss Angie's maiden name.
Speaker 11: They said, your wishs did.
Speaker 1: And the mother Lynn.
Speaker 13: Hello, ma'am, I'm Dippy Lewis. I think I've talked to you at the door here a while back about maybe some dogs or something. No, your son's truck. Remember I'm knocking on your door one morning and said, hey, you know where you know where that truck's at.
Speaker 1: And the brother Wayne, I.
Speaker 13: Was telling you, Mama, I think that the last time I was here, your brother's truck was broken down or round of gas or something over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they realized it wasn't what they thought at all.
Speaker 11: It's a mom and did and two brothers. And then, unbeknownst to me, one of the brothers got married back in September, littlego or the jetpoos and they're living in the shed back behind the house. But when I heard possible ba at two or sixth o'callo. I thought it was the brother.
Speaker 3: That's sitting up the trim of the carboard.
Speaker 11: I've just figured the ket ode.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't.
Speaker 11: I didn't. I didn't think this other one would be involved.
Speaker 1: Between Jared and his brother Wayne, Jared was the good son Jared.
Speaker 13: Brandy does remember me, okay.
Speaker 1: Wayne was the one who had previous run ins with the law. Even the deputy was surprised to find Jared in the back of the patrol car, but interviews with the parents which shed light on Jared's recent behavior. He'd been acting unusual for some time, but the day of the murder all the parents' worries would come to a head.
Speaker 5: I think it was around noon when Jared came in and told me that we needed to go to like, yeah, we needed to go to a Houston story and gave it a store number.
Speaker 3: I kept telling him, that doesn't tell me anything. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't have an app to look up store numbers like you did, because that don't work for an You have to give me an address so I know where we're going.
Speaker 3: He said, it's Houston. Houston's fairly blog.
Speaker 5: That doesn't tell me shit, and he went back there and his mother was asleep, and he came back, and that's when I stopped him. A corded and he heard where we're going. I don't think he was going to talk to me at all. I don't, I don't. I don't get the impression that he was there to talk to me. I got the impression he was there to talk to his mother. And then I asked him what is he need?
Speaker 16: He told me he.
Speaker 3: Needed his gun, and let did you tell him?
Speaker 5: Told him, you're not getting that gun back right now while you're like this, I said, what do you need your gun for?
Speaker 3: And he did this.
Speaker 1: Already suspicious of his behavior. There was no way Rodney was going to give Jared his gun. When he asked him what he needed it for, he pantomimed putting the gun up to his own head, but then quickly he tried to play it off like he was just scratching an itch.
Speaker 3: Odd, for sure, I just needed and I said, that's ship And I went to his mother. They started asking her who do we call? Did we take him to the hospital Jersey? Do you want to go to a hospital, Do you want to go to a mental hospital? What do you want to do? That started the conversations, and I laid down and the next thing I know, I woke up and.
Speaker 5: My wife was young and at him from my bedroom to the hall bathroom, the common bathroom because she hurt him on the phone.
Speaker 3: And that was around four four pm.
Speaker 12: Today, you have behavior just kept getting weirder and weirder.
Speaker 3: And weird from one o'clock on.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but he just when answer my questions.
Speaker 3: Sa jery, would you.
Speaker 2: Want do you need to take you somewhere?
Speaker 3: Do you need just talk to someone?
Speaker 17: And I mean I just found in.
Speaker 3: The bathroom, went on the toilet.
Speaker 12: He was looking at his phone and then he was talking to someone and I said, well who were you talking to? And you you wouldn't like to answer me? And we would He said, like, that's when that was my boss. I said, well, you didn't say that.
Speaker 3: I said, what did he want?
Speaker 12: I mean he was give me in my instructions for the next night's job. And then he came in my bedroom cause I asked you jar come here cause you was want to answer my questions, you know, And I heard a phone ring from the bathroom and I'm like, whose phone is that in the bathroom?
Speaker 3: Why do you have and he's like, well, I have two phones.
Speaker 12: And then I said why do you have two phones?
Speaker 3: And then he gave no, I only had one phone. So he would just go back and forth and back and forth.
Speaker 12: These were answers, and he went and picked it up out of the bathroom and put it in his pocket, and I said, why do you have two phones? And then I said, give me your phones, and.
Speaker 3: He gave me both of 'em. And then I noticed one of them was in standings.
Speaker 12: I said, this his Angie zone, because that's faw the picture of getting an Angie on the phone. So I just recognized that as her everything things, and I just kind of asked him why you have an Angie's phone?
Speaker 3: Was supposed to be a worker. And then it's just me and my husband just right away, right.
Speaker 1: Outside, already worried about their son's behavior. Their stomach sank when they saw that he had Angie's phone. They didn't know what to expect, but they knew it wouldn't be good.
Speaker 5: I opened the door and I walked in, and he couldn't see anything, and I took a step in and I.
Speaker 3: Saw him, you know, and that's what I told my wife. I says, you don't want to come in here. She came here and I said, called like one.
Speaker 5: One and that I knew she wasn't going to be able to I grabbed my phone and I started calling when y'all walked in, What did you say you when you described that?
Speaker 3: For me?
Speaker 12: I know it's hard, but just shoes on her stomach okay, and just was on them with food.
Speaker 3: Or right side. So an we just any other body injuries, you see.
Speaker 18: I didn't see her head, but I don't know you didn't see your head at all? Now, But I that was a it was a quick gliss that I didn't hear her hair cause.
Speaker 3: She had long, long, long hair. I didn't fear your hair. And we were back in the house and I said, what have you done here? And he was already on the floor crying. Were an, you're better? Or where I ran? What did you do? He's he just said I'm sorry.
Speaker 15: He wouldn't you need any any.
Speaker 12: Answers, And I'm I'm sorry, I don't know that person.
Speaker 1: Rodney and Lynne and Angie's body lying on the floor of the apartment, they knew it was already too late to help her.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: They scrambled to call the police and keep Jared from doing anything else. Their minds flooded with all the little weird things Jared had been doing for a while now. At work. The night before, his father noticed some odd things that was.
Speaker 5: In deming quiet. He's quiet, he's been. I don't know what the words are, but I think the word of lethargic. He just detached away. He was happy because he was going to work and it was he seemed he was really happy that he was laid off from November. It was because they're slow during that time of year. It happens every year.
Speaker 3: He doesn't like that.
Speaker 5: But he was laid after in November December, and this was his first job back. No, I'm sorry. This was his third job back. He did have two other jobs part of it. But he was happy that he.
Speaker 3: Was going to work. But other than that, he was just distant and we didn't talk.
Speaker 1: When Jared wasn't laid off. He was an electrician and the company he worked for had a contract with home Depot. The night before the murder, he was supposed to work at two different store locations. At the first one, Rodney noticed Jared was just off, so.
Speaker 5: I started the demo and then he came over. He said, I'm sorry, pops, here on the wrong nile. You need to put these back up.
Speaker 4: My gosh.
Speaker 3: So I put him all back up, and he.
Speaker 5: Said, make it look like we weren't on this aisle, you know, kind of to say that, you know, we didn't mess up.
Speaker 3: I got him all back up.
Speaker 5: And as soon as I got him back up because I instead, I'm sorry, dad, he says it is the right need to go ahead. And that was a little strange because they've been doing this so long.
Speaker 3: They don't him and my older son, they don't. They don't usually start on the wrong spy, you know.
Speaker 1: Other than that oddity, the rest of the job went fine. Afterwards, they headed to the second location. The store was closed by then, and the manager had to meet them at the door to let them in. That's when Rodney learned that Jared had gone to the two locations out of order, another uncharacteristic mistake by Jared.
Speaker 3: So when we got there, she said, oh, hold loo, they're not going in. You've got to tell me what you're here for.
Speaker 5: And of course those managers, they know what's happening in their store, they know what ailes people are supposed to be on they know what they're supposed to be doing. And she was asking him that and I don't have that information, so I don't say anything.
Speaker 3: And she asked him for an I don't remember the words that.
Speaker 5: She uses his ID code or job order code or something, and he said, I love you father, Yes, what? And I looked at him and it's like, I can't believe he just said that. And he looked at her and he said, I love you father.
Speaker 3: So he wasn't looking at you. He was looking he was not looking at me. He was answering her question.
Speaker 5: And it kind of told me back a little bit. I said, Jared, she needs your job number. He's on your phone. So he started working on his phone and it looked like he was just desponded and distracted.
Speaker 1: Eventually, Jared found the work order. He and his dad got the job done. He read the blueprints, followed the instructions, and everything went the way it should. But something still felt off. Jared wasn't acting like himself. Then on the drive home, his dad noticed and did he ever.
Speaker 5: Make it all the way home he make any remarks.
Speaker 3: When we were just leaving the store, we were getting onto two ninety. What did he tell me? He said, I'll never give up again.
Speaker 5: And I said, you're not supposed to give up, You're supposed to keep going forward. So whatever was bothering him over the last few days, or whatever was going through his mind over the last few days, a few days, I think I thought at the time that him going to work made him realize that, you know, you don't need to give up, you just need to you know.
Speaker 3: And of course they.
Speaker 5: Were you just need to keep going forward. And I felt really relieved that he said that.
Speaker 1: Rodney took Jared's comment as a good sign that he was getting over whatever it was that was bothering him. Both Rodney and Lynn had noticed the change in their son of the last few months. And it all started with the death of his best friend.
Speaker 3: This way ye tell me first, and his brother. His brother lost his job.
Speaker 12: And then he got a date why in November, so.
Speaker 3: Only he can't drive with his job.
Speaker 12: It started when he I think when he denied that he got to.
Speaker 3: D W I he was crying in a way when a freight yard about it and you're coming upshadow that.
Speaker 1: In May of twenty twenty two, Jared's best friend died suddenly. It shook him. Not long after, he met Angie, and by September they were married, But whatever stability that brought didn't last very long. He was laid off from work, tried to start a business, but couldn't get it off the ground. The failure seemed to wear him down. Then came the d w I in November, and with it the loss of his life since. But it wasn't until the final week, the week leading up to Angie's death, that his parents started to fear something was truly wrong and everything.
Speaker 3: See them at the time.
Speaker 5: No, nothing seemed wrong with seriousness since the start the fourteen Yes, but it seemed like he wasn't as bad as he was before. Okay, so no, he's not been himself for a few days. Explaining to me how describe him, he answers, yes, sir, No, sir, yesterday, no, man recently before you know, you say you're thirsty, Yeah, your lady are you thirsty?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, it's just a quiet not here.
Speaker 1: While being polite isn't the biggest red flag. It wasn't like Jared like parents do. They started asking him what was wrong.
Speaker 3: He kept saying that he was on math.
Speaker 5: And then you would start girling him about it, and then he would say it.
Speaker 3: I just told you that.
Speaker 12: When Jared turned acting strange, like, I'm keep asking you know, what's wrong with you? And he said, I said, are you on drugs?
Speaker 3: And would say no.
Speaker 12: And then the next time I would ask him what's wrong, he said, I'm on drugs and okay.
Speaker 3: Well are you or were you fish? Where did you get it?
Speaker 5: And he would he would convince us that he had gone and gotten mess and that's.
Speaker 3: What he was doing.
Speaker 5: He wasn't sure on how he was using it, you know, cause you'd ask him questions, are you smoking it?
Speaker 3: Are you shooting it? Do I need to look at your arms?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 3: How are you using this? Are you snorting a smoking it? Shooting it? What are you doing? I don't know? And things like that.
Speaker 17: It would be like you would have believe that he used with any would be like telling the right stuff to be used to that.
Speaker 1: They couldn't get a straight answer from Jared. He was acting like he was on drugs, but people on drugs can still tell you what they were doing. They were convinced he was having some sort of mental episode.
Speaker 12: And my husband did tell me that there was something that happened because jarieds something's been going on so.
Speaker 3: Mentally mentally.
Speaker 12: And this is did I'm gonna say about a week, when are you doing drugs?
Speaker 3: When we will say when I know? And then I'm not sure what day. It was a couple of nights. So he called the names on a film.
Speaker 2: Nine on one. You're huh, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I'm just I did a little bit of drugs. I need help, so called Louleward.
Speaker 11: Okay, And what's the problem.
Speaker 3: I just don't do well? Okay. And you say you took drugs. No, ma'am, I'm I'm I'm I'm ill okay.
Speaker 9: And are you there by yourself?
Speaker 5: Just somebody waiting?
Speaker 3: My family too with me?
Speaker 2: How are your families with you?
Speaker 17: Okay?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you don't suber? Okay, But do you need an ambulance or no?
Speaker 3: Are you good?
Speaker 2: I mean I got you, okay.
Speaker 19: I available northern units to two of six O call it boulevard two zero six call boulevard. We have E M S and r out for an unknown problem for the information. Sounds like he is possibly under the influence.
Speaker 1: Jared called nine one one for himself. You claim he did drugs and now he didn't feel well. But then he changed his mind, and then he changed it back even more bizarre. After he called nine one one, he called again.
Speaker 19: Well, I do on one.
Speaker 4: What's your emergency?
Speaker 2: Yes, this is Jared, mister Jared. How can I help you?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir. We having a mess out to you.
Speaker 12: Are you okay?
Speaker 17: Did something change?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 11: No, I'm not okay.
Speaker 19: Okay, what's going on?
Speaker 5: I just I've been doing yesterday and I don't feel well and I didn't do it.
Speaker 11: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 17: That's okay.
Speaker 19: I have a message out to you.
Speaker 13: Okay, thank you, Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: He sounds confused like a spun out meth head. Regardless, the ambulance arrived and took him to the hospital. They ran various tests, including different types of drug tests. Then they said he was perfectly healthy.
Speaker 5: So and everybody believed that he was on drugs, because that's what he called I one for and he told him just like I.
Speaker 3: Think now I'm doing that.
Speaker 5: So of course they hear, you're analysis to come whole regional contexts Monday morning, Sunday night, Monday morning, and then they released it even after I told him he's hearing voices, he's thinking that people are going to hurt the reason he can't stay in his.
Speaker 3: Hospital is ever going to kill him, and things like that.
Speaker 5: And the doctor questioned him about this stuff, and he told the doctor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I told the doctor, pholease, don't sit it at all, let's sit it somewhere. And instead they referred to a psychiatrist.
Speaker 12: So I don't know, but he's actually gad some drugs.
Speaker 2: We didn't even get to resolve his.
Speaker 3: But test finger now ispecial. When I was at the hospital, I don't know.
Speaker 12: I can't say that.
Speaker 1: Jared's parents didn't know what to do. He wasn't violent, he wasn't angry, but something was wrong, something they couldn't quite put their finger on. They hoped the hospital would figure it out. With all those fancy doctors and expensive equipment and whatnot. They hoped that someone, anyone would see what they were seeing. But that's not what happened. That's not the state of our medical system. So you know what they did. They just send them home, as they usually do. He was released the next morning with a clean bill of health. Days later, Angie was dead.
Speaker 11: I had him in the hospital to day account, he re hearing voices. I told her to excuse him, the doctor sitting in your story.
Speaker 1: Was it drugs? Was it psychosis? Was it both? Or was it something else? Entirely in the aftermath, the focus shifted. The horror of what happened to Angie Diaz was undeniable, But what no one could explain, what haunted those left behind, was what drove Jared to do it in the first place.
Speaker 3: You are Jared k okay at all? So I keep calling you Jared, and you don't know. I used to know, okay, And it was like somebody.
Speaker 1: Even Jared didn't even recognize himself. It was like someone came in here, he said, pointing to his own head.
Speaker 12: So it's my understanding.
Speaker 3: You were just in the hospital, is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: After that, after it's.
Speaker 1: Weird, Jared said, he went to the hospital after doing a substance.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 12: Is there something you used a lot or in natal or okay.
Speaker 4: Until recently.
Speaker 12: When the last time that he used then what.
Speaker 3: Oh I did it? I did it to chew each other for like to the uppertually okay.
Speaker 12: And then when you just went to the hospital, what too need to go e say it was for the substance.
Speaker 3: And after that, wouldn't it?
Speaker 15: Have you used again since then?
Speaker 4: Mkay?
Speaker 2: Math or something different? Okay, when was the last time that you used that?
Speaker 5: You remember?
Speaker 3: You don't remember when it was.
Speaker 1: Jared mumbled and shook his head to most of the questions, but when he did actually speak, it still didn't make any sense. It claimed that he had never touched meth in his life until that day, but then he said he'd been doing it for two weeks. The timeline was a little fuzzy.
Speaker 3: Jared to decide how this goes.
Speaker 12: It's not a question I've ever told you that. It's not a question that you did in the manner in which you did it.
Speaker 3: But will matters is the one. What happened? He said, live your own drugs?
Speaker 12: Okay, But they didn't.
Speaker 3: They didn't tell us what happened in that room, what was going on? Just drugs me he got.
Speaker 15: To stay away from Well, I understand that. So you did it, and tell us what happened after you did. Drugs just make you go crazy, It makes you really sign makes that be able? She said, all right, it's the way that makes you do this morning last.
Speaker 1: Night, Jared was blaming the whole thing on drugs, but he was reluctant to be specific about what he did or why. Sometimes he would just stare back at the detectives, refusing to say a word. He would look as though he was about to cry, then return to a dazed and confused state.
Speaker 3: I just lost lost my way with God. That's clear. We're not asking for generalities. We're not asking about your.
Speaker 12: Personal relationship with God. Obviously, it just struggle to struggle for everybody.
Speaker 3: That's not a question.
Speaker 12: Nobody has a perfect relationship with him. So we're going to ask you one last time what happened, And if you don't want to talk about it, that's fine. That your opportunity to have any kind of looking like a good guy of this is what I did, and.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, and I can't believe I did it. That door is.
Speaker 2: Closing on you.
Speaker 3: I didn't do it.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 3: You can't even keep this very very body.
Speaker 1: This dude cracks a joke. It was hard to gauge where his head was at, almost crying one moment, stoic the next, then making jokes.
Speaker 19: Crazy.
Speaker 2: But there's just both too, So way does she say, to make you mad to do that to her? She had to say something to be that mad, to do what you did.
Speaker 3: I don't know some okay, something? Okay, So it did so it made you do what? So what did it makes you fun?
Speaker 2: The screen.
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 3: Was? How many?
Speaker 2: He kay?
Speaker 3: Telling me? What ever?
Speaker 2: Did you tell you?
Speaker 3: Is you sh like stop time?
Speaker 19: Whatever?
Speaker 3: You never would do? Stop? Time would stop.
Speaker 1: Jared was speaking in broken sentences. It was hard to follow his train of thought, but he said that something took control of him. Something on the screen was telling him what to do, and it would stop time. He claimed he wasn't in control of himself.
Speaker 16: It was.
Speaker 3: None of my free will, okay, forced to do what? Forced to just walk? Forced to go?
Speaker 2: What did it force you to.
Speaker 3: Do to her? What did it force you to do?
Speaker 11: You want?
Speaker 3: It forced me to what to kill her?
Speaker 2: So how did you kill it? Tell us how you killed it?
Speaker 5: I don't know because it wasn't It wasn't It wasn't or it wasn't.
Speaker 2: What did you do?
Speaker 3: What did you say? What did I see?
Speaker 15: Tell me?
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what it did do and made you cut her head on?
Speaker 1: He tried to explain that when he got home, Angie turned on the TV. That's when he started hearing commands. Time stood still and the screen was filled with numbers. A voice told him what to do and if he didn't listen it would make him hurt. But after getting all of that off his chest, he started answering questions.
Speaker 3: How did the fight.
Speaker 15: Start, how did the knife get introduced?
Speaker 3: How did LC us through that? What happened to if I had seen her other knife? We were just talking one way, and then in terms of that that he didn't need any That's what.
Speaker 2: That started with. How did you did tell held her didn't shoot up and you told me to RAPEO.
Speaker 3: He do rap?
Speaker 1: It was unclear if he did rape Angie. She was found fully clothed with no defensive wounds. There wasn't even a single side of a violent struggle, which is disturbing in and of itself.
Speaker 2: Why did you put her head in the back of.
Speaker 1: Being told.
Speaker 2: Her hair was wet?
Speaker 3: How come did you turn the shower on?
Speaker 2: Yes to wash yourself or to wash your hair?
Speaker 5: Or what.
Speaker 3: Did you have plans on hurting your mom or your dad?
Speaker 7: When do you know where they have?
Speaker 3: There are no versions that told you to have them then voice, shoot yourself.
Speaker 1: Jared's explanation did little to actually tell us why he did what he did. He contradicted his own account. He said drugs were involved, but he was also hearing voices. The only thing we know was true is that he cut her head off and put it in the bathtub to wash her hair, and she didn't fight back because he probably took her by surprise. But after talking to Angie's family, friends and co workers, the police had a theory.
Speaker 3: Do you know why he did? Do you know anything right now? Or shod the theory? When I told you about theory? They could wronged sat down.
Speaker 12: But from what we're gathering, it was possibly a combination of him being on drugs and his jealousy.
Speaker 1: Friends of Angie set her normally upbeat attitude changed shortly after she got married to Jared. When asked, she said he had changed. She was clearly having second thoughts. But this theory all hinged on drug use, and to be fair, Jared was high as a kite during his interrogation and his intake photos his pupils are the size of saucers. But that's where it gets weird. When the police checked his toxicology report from the hospital stay two days before the crime, when he called nine to one one claiming METTHEUS it was completely clean. There were no drugs in a system whatsoever. If he did drugs the night before, it would have shown up. While the drug tests the least conducted after his arrest showed drugs in his system, it wasn't meth, it was cocaine. He didn't even know the difference.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't a lot. Not enough to cause psychosis, that's for sure. So maybe the drugs didn't cause what happened. Maybe it just unleashed what was already in his brain. So an alternative theory is that Jared was unraveling mentally long before he ever tried drugs. He lost his best friend, the layoff, the failed side hustle, the DWI. It all compounded, weighing on him at a time when he just wanted to be able to provide for his new wife and seemed to be failing at it. Meanwhile, she was living the dream. She had a job, she had friends, and was pursuing her goal of being a fitness trainer. She was succeeding while Jared was failing. Maybe there was some jealousy involved. Maybe he was jealous of Angie, but that didn't matter. Jared pleaded guilty. There would be no trial, There would be no courtroom drama, no chance to explain what really happened, and no chance to be evaluated for mental illness. He was sentenced to forty years in prison. It would be eligible for parole when he's sixty five.
Speaker 12: The family of a young woman found decapitated inside her Waller County home is planning a vigil for her this weekend.
Speaker 16: And the person accused of killing her is her own husband, Jared Tikas.
Speaker 5: And that's what the people really star.
Speaker 1: Nobody there and friends of the woman found decapitated inside her Waller County home now the vigil in her honor tonight.
Speaker 18: I mean, I'm sure she came here for fair life.
Speaker 12: I mean, they have us to know what happened.
Speaker 3: She shouldn't deserve to be kaar like this.
Speaker 1: Angie Diaz came to this country in search of a better life. She found it. She found family, she found friends, and she found love. She was chasing something bigger than herself. Maybe Jared wanted that too, but somehow he lost himself along the way. Slowly quietly secretly until it was too late.
Speaker 4: To stop the book start.
Speaker 1: I'd better see my Shopify line up with dozens of orders after this. I ain't even kiddick. You guys are annoying as fuck. If I'm gonna deal with you, you better start buying some T shirts. I'm gonna start holding this ship. Hosta go buy a shirt.