Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. As we record this episode, it's almost Christmas time and we've got a lengthy interview with one of the co hosts of the popular podcast, The Bigfoot Show, documentarian comedian Scott Harriet ben Radford and I have a long chat about Scott's thoughts on the field a Bigfoot study, his own Bigfoot sighting, and the relationship between skeptics and bigfoot proponents. I do want to address one thing first. I got a lot of mail requesting that we do an episode on the Crampus. I wish we had time to do that this year, but we were just too busy. I'd want to research the folklore, find an expert who could tell us about the history of the creature. There's so much to cover. It would be easier to do these shows if we could just ring up the monsters and talk to them, wouldn't it. I wonder what that would be like. Listeners have been crying out from Monster Talk to coverage of one of the most feared monsters of Europe, the demonic assistant to Santa Claus, known as the Crampus. Here in America, we get stories of benevolent Santa Claus bringing toys to all the good children and bad children at the worst are given a love of coal and left to puzzle out why Santa has such a terrible eco footprint. But in the shadow of Europe's Alps, there's another legend, a darker side to Christmas. There, as Santa comes with toys and treats for good children, he's accompanied by the frightening creature known as the Crampus, a terrifying demon bedecked in chains and bells who carries a sack and a whip. And where Santa gives toys, the Crampis gives lashes, and if that's not enough, the worst children are thrown into a sack and carried away. Joining us now on Monster Talk is the crampas.
Speaker 3: Christmas.
Speaker 2: Oh, hello, and welcome to Monster Talk. So you're the Crampus. How long have you been working with Santa Claus?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Forever. I've been working these winter Solstice holidays since the people were first belged out from the Earth's room and came to live in the shadow of the mountains.
Speaker 2: Fascinating, So you actually pre date Santa Claus of.
Speaker 3: Course, he's only been famous since Fazi eighteen hundreds. It was natural for him to want to ride my coattails until he could establish himself.
Speaker 2: Huh. I have to say I didn't expect that. Does it bother you that Santa Claus has become more famous?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, not at all. In your America he's quite famous. But here in Europe, I'm involved in some very enjoyable festivals doing early December. I am a little more famous than him. Over here in Europe, I am a sort of like the uh it's a funky bunch to his moggy mark.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Funky Bunch is more famous than you're a ten in America. I don't know if you knew that.
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 3: It's very it's it's true. Let me tell you a joke. You say, the Funky Bunch are coming to town. I think I am going to buy tickets. This is an old German joke.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm ready, The Funky Bunch are coming to town. I think I'll buy some tickets.
Speaker 3: You cannot, it's sold out.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I don't understand German humor.
Speaker 3: It's very funny here in Germany. Anyway, that is a good fellow. But he never forgets where he came from. Without me and my VIPs and my chains, what would he be confusing? That's fun, My my punishments and my frightening aspects give give him some context.
Speaker 2: I see, do your festivals whip up a lot of Christmas enthusiasm?
Speaker 3: I do not like puns. I'd leather you didn't speak in such a vay. You'll see what I did there?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, very afraid.
Speaker 4: Of me a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, moving on. So you have a bag for the worst children.
Speaker 1: What do you do with that?
Speaker 3: Well, let me connect you. I have a sack.
Speaker 1: Mmmmm okay.
Speaker 3: I put the very verse children in the sack and drag them off to help, and I devour them alive.
Speaker 2: But that's terrible.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, But keep in mind that these are the very verse children. These are the children who disobeys their parents, don't put the toys away, don't help out around the house. You say, hey, pick up your skateboard, and they're like, I'm not going to do that, and then they give you a th You see, These kinds of children do not be missed.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, on that case, well tell me more about your festivals.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a usual thing. A men dress in furs, suits with fantastic long curved horns, and the march down the street with lips whipping spectators who gather around files drinking hot punch. There is smoke, the sounds of it spells chains. You know, it's dunny Christmasy.
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean, just wow. I tell you, I can't believe people don't do that here in America.
Speaker 3: Oh, but they do, they do. These festivals are becoming more and more popular every year. I look forward to a day when my power stretches across the fodders of the mean I mean to a Dave. And it's a true story of Christmas. It's spread all across the world.
Speaker 2: Ah okay, okay, Well, thanks for coming on to Monster Talk to talk about yourself, mister Crampus. One final question we'd like to ask all our guests, what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I did not expect that question. I suppose it would have to be Is that a fat monster from the Ghost of Baston's.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, Slimer, I love that little green ghost.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no, no, Slimer, that's dynachroid.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 5: A giant hairy creature party party mat in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the highlands of Scotland, get a creature known as the Luckness Monster. MOREBSTT.
Speaker 2: Today we're talking with Scott Harriet. Let me tell you that I first saw Scott on tech TV a long time ago. I used to watch tach TV a lot before it disappeared. I occasionally would see you on the screen Savers and I want to say it was either the Screen Savers or Unscrewed where you came on and mentioned that you had a big foot documentary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think at that Yeah, at that time, I had done one called Squatching yep, that's the one at Amazon dot com okay, which also has by the way, Journey Towards Squatched Them, which was a mockumentary I made. I mean, as someone who does think that it's probable that these things exist, much like you guys on the other side of the fence. At times I get fed up with the guys who come in. I've had eighteen sightings and he lives in my SHD. You know. I just so I wanted to have a little fun with those guys who I felt gave the phenomena, you know, too much crack potism. So that's what Journey towards squatchrom is. Along with squatching it's a steal at nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: We'll put a link in the show notes too. Oh awesome, Thanks guys, that's awesome and the reason what happened. Then later on in life, I started this Monster Talk podcast, and very early on some people suggested that we have one of you from the Bigfoot Show on to sort of talk about the show, and I didn't get around to it. And then earlier this year I started listening to the show and I thought, well, that's not a bad idea. That's how you got invited. So maybe you can tell us how did you get involved with Bigfoot in the first place.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a good question. I was captured by one when I was three. Now, I think like a lot a lot of kids, a lot of kids in the sixties, I'm I'm fifty two. You know, there was the talk of the Patterson film, which, by the way, I think is in all strong probability of hoax. If you've listened to the if you if you listen to the big Foot. You. I hammer that home at nauseum. But I actually, if I could pinpointed a one thing, it was probably a book, one of John Green's book that my dad bought me called The Year of the Sasquatch, and I found just kind of John's I felt, you know, just documentation of these, you know, alleged encounters dating back into the eighteen hundreds in the Native American stories, and I found it compelling. And then I remember years later, I'd always been kind of interested in it for many different reasons, anthropologically, sociologically, psychotically, and I was curious. At one point there was a story on CNN in the mid eighties about a report in the Southern Sierra. I said, I have a big fun I wondered what's going on in that thing? And I was curious. I went to my science library at the university I had gone to, and I was just curious if there was any actual books on the phenomena, and there was Green's Sasquatch the Apes among Us, and that kind of blew me away. There's this five hundred and sixty five page book, and I read the whole thing and I thought, that's pretty that's pretty darn interesting. So kind of since then, I've been pretty hooked on it. As mentioned, Yeah, I leaned toward it, but like you guys, or any others of a skeptical bent, I would agree fully that the argument via strong physical evidence is weak at best. What compels me is something that happened to me in nineteen ninety two, along with the sheer volume of sightings dating back to the eighteen hundreds in the Pacific Northwest area. Whether or not they exist elsewhere, I don't know, or I yeah, I kind of. I've talked to some people who's allegedly at some encounters find them interesting, but having spent a lot of time in the Pacific Northwest British Columbia, Oregon, Washington, Northwest California, I'm and this is where the thing had happened to me in ninety two. I'm short of scientific verification. I'm pretty damn convinced that there's something to it. Good Night, that's our show.
Speaker 2: Thanks, all right, have one guys, Now, you saw something in nineteen nine two.
Speaker 4: What do you think you saw that?
Speaker 1: God? I meant, do you want me to do it? Because it's hard to kind of condense the story without begging questions, but I'll do my damnest. I was interested. There were there were some people who were investigating this phenomena in the early nineties, and I'm sure Ben knows about this, you know, with an advent of call blasting had coming on YouTube as well. You know, this idea that well, maybe if we blast gorilla cries or other higher primate cries into the wild, along with some purported sasquad screams, perhaps something would find it interesting to investigate. Something might answer black back blah blah blah. So I called a small town of Willow Creek in northwest California kind of known as an alleged Bigfoot area along with it not to mention, and oddly enough it's a uh you know, it has a lot of businesses with the name Bigfoot involved as well. And I talked to the lady at the at the information boot there, and I wanted to know if there were any mule or horse packers in the area that would be willing to take someone like myself back dump me off for a few weeks in some of these areas where there's been these alleged encounters, where I could do some of its experimentation, and she said, now, I don't know of anybody who does that. She goes, but it is weird that you're asking me about bigfoot, because I don't get a lot of bigfoot questions. And I go, why is that weird? And she says, well, this guy called here yesterday because he knew kind of the reputation of Willa Free, and he was very emotional, very bent out of shape, saying that his son and his son's friend had just come back out of the woods and had claimed to see this approximately six foot tall whitish, grayish, whitish manlike things staring at them and they were freaking out and blah blah blah. I was able to get in contact with the father, talked to him for about a half hour, and what I came away from that phone call was that I was fairly convinced of that the kids had probably seen something big, probably alive, that they couldn't explain whether it was bigfoot or not, but based on the description, it was meeting what the typical bigfoot description was. So I had a few days off, I drive up there, took a buddy of mine up with me, a skeptic I m had had, and we interviewed these kids, and we interviewed them separately, and was surprised to find, well, not surprised because I kind of felt there was maybe perhaps something to it, but their stories lined up. Really, there were no contradictions. They were saying in essence that they were looking for snakes. The twelve year old kid looked up and he said, about one hundred feet away, up on the bankment, in full view, not like lurking behind a tree or next. It was the only thing down around its knees, allegedly around its feet were ferns, and it was very muscular, they said. And it was like a man, but clearly not a man, and its only movement was a slight arm movement. And so you know, we were trying to trip the kids up when we interviewed, and they seemed very believable. I mean, they just seem like this kid's not lying, this other kid's not lyon didn't seem like they were lying. So that added another, Okay, that's kind of interesting. So have I lost you yet? I'm sorry? It built, it gets better and better, you think, no, you go ahead, okay, So so did I mention we were on poti at the time.
Speaker 4: No, no, that you didn't mention that. Okay, no, but we were the kid, you were right.
Speaker 1: So we went to where they said this thing was standing, and there were some interesting indentations where in the foliage there. But you know, unless you have you know, really definitive like toe prints, which would still not prove it was a big foot. Somebody could have hope something like that. There's a lot you can find in the forest that people could say, oh, that's a big when in fact we don't know what it is. But still they were pretty Both of these kids were compelling. So I had to go back home, back to La I kept in contact with the father about what, if anything, to do next as far as follow up. Now, the where this happened was right at the base of this very steep, gnarly densely vegetated hill that just goes up and up and up and up, and so we decided, look, if there's something to the kid's story you could tell from down below in the floor of this valley, you can look up and see where this old logging road still existed. And because the hill had been logged approximately about twenty twenty five years earlier, and all this underbrush had grown up. So we figured, look, if there's somebody to the kids story, perhaps there's some footprint evidence up on the old these old road or roads which hadn't probably been driven on in many, many years. So Darrel the father, finds out that this area that extends back, we find out there's actually some barbed wire, intermittent barbed wire at the base of the hill near where the kids said this thing was standing. And we found out this older couple owned this property that extended back for miles, very very wild, and so we decided we would go to them and ask them for permission and just tell them straight up what the kids had told us. So we go there, we tell the lady and she looks at us and she goes, oh, yeah, we know they're there, like matter of factly, like she's talking about a coffee table in front of her. So that was another hmm, okay, well have you ever seen one note we've lived here thirty five years. We have two friends, you're either your Hoopa Native Americans who said they each had a sighting a road siding at night, one crossing in front. So that was another okay, So that was kind of interesting. So well, we want to go up this hill and look on this road. Now, we didn't tell them when we were going to be going up. They said, you can go up anytime. All we ask is, you know, don't bring a ton of people, don't bring any firearms. But you're more very very cool country.
Speaker 4: I have a question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you said they lived there for thirty to thirty five years, they had never seen it, but they yet they knew what they were there.
Speaker 4: How did they know what they were there if they'd never seen it?
Speaker 1: Well, I agree that stating in a in a definitive sense that they knew, but they felt. I mean she felt they were there because she found those two people credit. But I would agree there was there was no direct eyewitnessing from them. It was just that what she said I added another layer of credibility for me as someone you know. So, so we go up the hill and we started off there and it's it's a gnarly, very steep hill, and I bring my high eight camera. If you guys remember Hiate from the early nineties, and Darryl actually had a VHS camera where you actually load the VHS in the side of the of the cameras.
Speaker 4: Old school, old school, old.
Speaker 1: School hernia inducing. So we start up and I don't recall actually talking to Daryl about this. I'm sure he probably felt the same way. I know I did. We both felt or I felt, assuming he felt this way, that you know that we're not going to see anything. If you told me you saw a bear at Point A and I go back a few weeks later, probably not going to see the bear. I mean, I'm gonna keep I'm gonna be keeping an eye out because you know, I believe there was somebody said there was a bear. I'm going to keep an eye out. But so we're going up this hill and it's very as I mentioned it's it's it's thankfully very maltchie, so you could dig your feet in and huge ferns where you pull yourself, very rainforesting, and it takes us about an hour and a half two hours to get to the top. This's an apex actually, it's kind of several hills kind of contoured together, where there is this large I believe it's a Douglas fir, well over one hundred feet tall, and that was kind of our beacon as we headed up because the undergrowth of the stuff was really, really dense. So we get to this tree, and at that point the hill begins to level off a little bit, kind of starts a little bit of a ridge heading toward where we know these roads are. And about sixty feet past this tree, just getting ready to head into some really really dense vegetation, I notice about forty feet up ahead of me this darkness, which is low down, part of which is shadowing caused by a big old tree that had fallen, and the shadowing underneath it was there, so it just caught my eye relative to the greenery, and then I noticed in this darkness what appeared to be two pretty big brown eyes looking out of it at me. Now, the first thing I'm thinking, well, there's no real squatch alarm going on because it's low right, but whatever this is seems pretty big, and it just doesn't move for about thirty seconds, and then it starts to slowly sway back and forth, like really about maybe moving inch one way, an inch another way, So it's clearly an animal. It's moving. Videotape this and for ten minutes we're sitting there looking at this thing and trying to figure out what it is because it's back at shadowed you're really only getting the reflection off the eyes. You see little dap bits of light reflecting off what would be its face. I was pretty convinced, having done a lot of backpacking, after about a minute, pretty convinced it was not a bear. A bear would have been gone super fast. Bears don't check you out, especially bears northern California. It didn't have the eyest of a cougar, and yet it seems still pretty big, but again it's relatively low. So we're sitting there and I'm taping it, and we're, you know, just kind of how were we gonna do. We weren't really feeling scared or apprehensive at this at this point, so we just thought, well, what the hell. After about ten minutes, let's move toward this thing. Well, we take one, perhaps two steps toward this whatever it was, and God and or Brothman or the void is my witness, the eyes of this animal gave off. Coupled with what I think was a dilation of the eyes, this weird ass red glow, and I mean like there were two as though there were two lit cigarettes in the back of the head of this thing, and somebody was inhaling simultaneously. It was just this very reddish and it happened twice in about ten seconds, and.
Speaker 2: It was very odd and you, yeah, did you have a light on your camera?
Speaker 1: No, this was This was two thirty in the afternoon, filtered sunlight coming down through the canopy of largely rhododendron. It was fairly like. But again, whatever this was, it was shadowed underneath this tree. So but this red, I mean, it really did appear like bioluminescence. It really looked red. I mean, another example i'd give you know, when you're sitting in a darkened movie theater and you see how red the exit sign is about I'd say about sixty percent of that intensity. So it was really red. And it didn't it didn't look to me like when I've seen eyeshine from a deer on the road at night, or a dog or a cat. It wasn't like a glint. It was like sh and thankfully it didn't make that noise. But it happened twice, and then at that point the plausibility for me that this might in fact be one of these things increased somewhat substantially, based on the fact that people have rightly or wrongly, correctly or incorrectly have reported this odd red eyeglowiated with these alleged animals. It's somewhat pervasive in the in the record of sightings, not tons of it. I would say, I don't know, maybe fifteen twenty percent of sighting Some report this, especially people who have been close report this weird red eye glow, so that it was creepy enough. Whether this is bigfoot or not, it was creepy. It was just like, okay, let's stop. What are we going to do that? Well, we didn't want to go any farther because we did. What does the red mean? Is it pissed off? Is it scared? So I thought, well, if I go down to the right, like we're basically right next to each other, Daryl, and there's a lot of stuff in between us and this thing whatever it is, but you could see it through an opening through the vegetation. I figured if we go, if I go to the right and Daryl goes to the left, perhaps whatever this thing is might think that we're trying to surround it and as a result, it might get up out of that log reveal itself. We get video when you find out what it is so I get about fifteen feet down to the right of Daryl. Darryl, as he told me later, tried to go left, but it was so dense, he said, it was like a wall there too much, So we actually actually think he was a little scared to He turned back to his right and started heading toward me. And again I'm approximately fifteen feet away from him when I hear him suddenly just kind of going huh, okay, excuse me now. And I look back at him and he's holding up his camera and he's obviously taping something, this time not down at the ground, but up in the air, and he's pointing with his finger. I can see him, and he's clearly shaken up. This stuff we were in. This vegetation was so thick that if you move three or four feet from your point A and you move to point B, you can't see what you just saw. So and again I'm roughly fifteen feet away from him, so I don't know what the helly it is he's seeing. I'm just trying to calm him down because he's pointing with his finger. Excuse me if I'm crying at this moment. It's right here. Blah blah, Blah says that he tapes her about thirty seconds. The camera goes limp in his hand, and then he starts crying. He looks at me and tears in his eyes. He's whispering. I've moved up a little closer to him, probably six feet, but he is not literally, thankfully, but he goes, it's right there. He's like, was it right? Standing up the butt. I'm go, what is I got? It's right, I got, you know, And he goes this thing or whatever, And now I'm getting scared, and I'm just trying to calm myself down, calm him down. And I'm like, well, okay, the rational side of my brain's going, well, he apparently just tapes something. We have no pepper spray, and we have no gun. We don't know what exactly it is. I have no idea what exactly is going on here, but he just taped something for about thirty seconds. Discretion being the better part of valor, Why don't we get the hell off this hill? So we start down the hill, we'd stop, we'd go down a bit. Stop listen, didn't hear anything? Come after stop, listen, come back. So I'm really anxious to see this videotape. Get get down to the bottom, pop the videotape in. Based on his reaction, I'm expecting to see something kind of latantly there. And if I recall correctly, I'm pretty close to the TV and I play it and I'm like, what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 1: Look like there's a lot of foreground vegetation. There's foreground background vegetation, luckily a lot. It's kind of a still life. There was no wind on that on that hill. This will come into play in just a little bit why this was important. But it's just all these ferns and stuff, and I'm like, what the hell is he talking about it? I'm like, I watch it through, then I rewind it and I freeze it, and then I step back from the TV. I get about ten feet away from the TV, and I'm looking around and all of a sudden, I'm like, ohly crap. And I actually remember looking down to my rights and telling myself, be objective, be objective, be objective, don't roar shark this thing. Yes, we're investigating an alleged Sascott squad report. Yes I'm interested in this phenomena. Yes I think these things are probably true. That said be objective as possible. And I look back at this image and roughly I would say, thirty thirty five feet where he's pointing the camera, sticking out of the side of this huge rhododendron plant is what appears to be a huge ash of schwartz Enagrian mountain guerrillion whitish upper arm, just hanging out to the side.
Speaker 4: So you have you have, so you have video of this?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, there's you know in fact, then I would hate to say, you know, and it's available on squatching, but I will send you a free copy because I respect you or anyone who who you know applies the scientific method, which they always did, and by the way, scientifically as evidence, this is worthless, I think, because what can how can you prove it's a person as opposed to not a person? There's all this stuff, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean, right, how do we know it's not just a well armed roaded endum eactly?
Speaker 1: That is the best line I've ever heard pertaining to the rhododendron in this story. Anyway, Ben, I'll send you that. So so again I'm looking at it and again trying to analyze it. At the same time. It's like, okay, well, what does it look like? It looks you know, I'm like on a mountain gorilla or an orangutang. The deltoid muscle in the upper arm really bulges out, right, They kind of really stick out, and this object really sticks out in that shape. Our glasses down to kind of a bicep tricept to If you're looking at the point of view of the camera, you see like a darkness which should be kind of like just below the armpit, and then the beginning of what would be the torso same color as the arm, but then it's the thick rhododendron bush. Now, this arm, if in fact it's an arm, is not hanging all the way down. It's bent at the elbow. So what you have for sure in this is an object. You can clearly see the object. I would pretty could pretty much estimate it's about two and a half three feet long and probably you know, seven eight inches wide, And again with this general shape of like an upper arm. So having seen that on there and trying to apply reason as much as possible, going okay, well, let's test this. If that is an upper arm, then it would stand a reason that if you go from the tip of that purported shoulder up into the left about forty five degrees. There should be something, however, obscured, resembling a head, correct, especially if you would think so. Well, you go up and behind two or three at approximately six feet tall I would estimate, given Daryl's height, behind two thin rhododendron branches, there is this chrome domey same color as the upper arm, head shaped object right about where the brow is, which appears to be protruding. And again, I mean you'll have to see it for yourself, Ben and again obviously, and anybody listening don't take my word for it. And that's not a plug for the film. I'm just saying from where the brow ridge is down around the face, it's black. I mean, it's just black. So you've got this very chrome domie and it's contiguous with this alleged upper arm. You can't see the connectings if there is a connecting shoulder or you know, a soulder blade or whatever, because the plant is there. So then we look, okay, so that I'm looking at the video, Okay, okay, there is this thing that looks like ahead same color as the arm. Now I'm looking for movement. And this is what I alluded to earlier about the plants not moving, is that I'm gonna be focusing when I watched this again, just focus on this alleged head and see if it moves, because when you watch the video, you can see none of the plants move at all, because it's just still. It's a still day. You play the tape and twice in that actually I think it's twenty nine seconds, this purported head tilts out not only once, but goes back again, holds for eight seconds, and then tilts out again. And now I'm understanding a little better Daryl's responses because when I was standing at fifteen three when he says like, huh uh, I mean he's like reacting to something, And now coupled with seeing the video, now I'm understanding what he was saying so or at least what was happening with the movement. I got interviewed on Sightings about this video, and I remember when they were looking at the video. The guy the initially he was some German dude, and he goes, he goes, well, you know, if the camera is moving a bit, it can give the illusion that the object is moving. And I knew what he was talking about, because if the camera's moving, it can give that illusion that an object is moving in the foreground or in the background. And he was also like ultra skeptical, and he's right, it can't happen. But just from a common sense point of view, when you walk it, watch it, it's pretty clear whatever that is is moving by itself. But he had some kind of software where he something where you use the edge of the video and they could run parameters to determine whether or not that object is moving by himself. So he runs this test and I remember he had to be somewhat defeated. He as well, whatever it is, it's moving byself, So not that it means it's bigfoot or anything, but it heever, it was right, yeah, whatever was. So we went back the next day with two other people. There was where the eyes were, There was nothing there. The next day would be the case with any animal. But we went about twenty feet i would say, past where the shoulder head object was through extremely thick, literally on our hands and knees, vegetation, and we found what was clearly some type of net. What made it, I don't know, but it was clearly matted down. It was approximately twenty five feet long fifteen feet wide. We crawled into it, looked around. It reminded me quite a bit of like gorilla's nests had that kind of look to it, and again top of the hill of prime defensive positions, kind of where mountain gorillas hang out. And as you sit in it, you could see at the bottom of it where everything had been matted down.
Speaker 3: Some of the.
Speaker 1: Vegetation appeared to be was disturbed, like in this wall of vegetation. It kind of circular, as though something or things had been crawling in and out. And if you went straight through that hole and down slightly to the right, that's where the eyes were. And if you went out straight out of it and then slightly to the left, that's where the shoulder head was. We went up close to where the log was, and in my opinion, having gotten close to that log, being right up on it, I don't think what Daryl got on video the shoulder head thing, which was again approximately six feet tall, could have fit down there. It just didn't. It seemed too small of an area. But something about the size of a chimp could have fit down there. So it's great. I mean I know it's great. This must write the skeptic's crazy when you say somebody has a sighting. But honestly, having been there, considered all other possibilities, I honestly think in all strong probability that there were not one but two of these things there that day.
Speaker 6: And so ye, if it was a nest, then presumably there would be maybe some hair scattered y.
Speaker 4: Any well, yeah, there was.
Speaker 1: In fact, the day we went up, there was some hair actually found and there was a guy. And again you can check this and I don't know, as you know, if he's considered a crackpot or not. But Darryl and I got interviewed on the Ancient Mystery Show, which was they did a show on Bigfoot. This was like ninety four. I think it came out.
Speaker 2: I have that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, if you look on it. Well, there's two things about it. I want to say. The first thing is the hairs that we found that day were given to a guy, a gentleman named Sterling Bunell. I don't know if you know him. Apparently he's a primatologist and he lives somewhere in the Bay area. I did verify that there is a Sterling Bunell, who was a primatologist who lives in San Francisco. Whether he again he's a crackpot or not, I don't know.
Speaker 4: But he.
Speaker 1: Gave a report on these hairs and this is what he said. And again it was a morphological analysis. It wasn't it wasn't genetics. So again, scientifically, it's just this one guy's opinion. He said that the internal structure of the hair was very similar to samples of chimpanzee and mountain gorilla hairs that he had. He said, similar yet distinguishable. So again, for whatever that's worth, there's that guy's opinion.
Speaker 2: Were these hairs that you collected or someone else.
Speaker 1: I found? I think one, maybe two. Daryl found a few of them, and I don't remember how many of it were. It was got nineteen Jesus Christ nineteen years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the reason I ask is because you know, there was a time when you had to have the root of the hair to do any DNA analysis, and apparently now you can use hair and not have the root and still get fifty percent of the time successful DNA extraction.
Speaker 1: Dude, you should seriously post that on Brave the Bigfoot Forms or wherever they're and go on there because that, wow, that's not my understanding is that or up until this point that it had to be roots preserved and alcohol and even if you have the root, it was going to be you know, dicey at best. But that's that's awesome, especially with a lot of the claims that come out when people say they have and is that what the the ketchum DNA folks are using? No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: That was one of the things we wanted to ask you about it or what you had heard, because the very little is leaking out of there.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I'm kind of on board with you guys on this. There's too much.
Speaker 6: Actually, Scott, before we go, why don't we not all our listeners know about the whole catching DNA stuff. So if you can give us a little concise background on it and then talk to us about what do you think it's so?
Speaker 1: I hope I do it justice. I remember we talked about it on the show. It's basically there. There's this film project called the Ericsson Project, correct, and there's this guy he claims to have had some you know, film or video of a sasquatch, you know, face up close somewhere I think Kentucky, somewhere back east a bit, and it's been talked about, it's been kind of hyped, it's gonna come out. It's come out. And then Melba Ketchum, who's a lady who has done been involved to a degree with DNA analysis, got involved with this project and supposedly they've been sending out you know, you know, sending it to labs and get it, getting stuff done, and she keeps hinting that, oh, it's gonna be it's big, and which I think, well, why don't you wait until the test is done before you know?
Speaker 2: You know, there were a lot of red flags though, I mean, oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tons of them. Yeah. So I mean it kind of gives those interested in this phenomena a little hope at times. But just the amount of time it was dragged out, and also how definitive she was that she I mean, you know, wait for the results, don't say you know that they're going to be And so yeah, my feeling is probably nothing's going to come of it. Anyway. I'm sorry if I didn't wrap up the story that was pretty much that I have been back up that hill several times. Since I had purchased game cams. And again this is like in the years preceeding that nothing beyond what happened that day. I think it was of interest where I've always when I've gone back and again, I went back probably about seven times, the last time about ten years ago. What I was interested in seeing is whether there was any reuse of the nesting area, and there was no evidence to suggest.
Speaker 4: That that was the case.
Speaker 1: In fact, that when I went back up, which is actually documented in squatching with a fellow researcher up there, you could see vegetation actually sprouting up fairly well through the old matted down vegetation.
Speaker 2: So you went back, did you measure the rhodendron bush?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't. I didn't. That is is just a yeah, pure pure quasi educated guests on how far it was away from the camera having stood there and again, I'd say proximately thirty feet and given the slope you know of the hill. And if I mean again, I probably looked at that videotape over a thousand times. And dude, I am open to other theories. Open you know, someone said, well what if you what if they? I mean, I know for a fact I saw an animal whose eyes glowed red. You cannot convince me otherwise. I was there, there was red glow, but that's all I saw were the actual eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just for the record, I'm a skeptic, but I mean there's that's actually fairly common with mammals to have eye shine, and several of them have read. So that doesn't shock me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really, like like really red, I've never read red.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can send you some pictures from Yeah, there's a it's it's got a name. I forget what it's called. Hold a second, it's it's not really important. Well, rabbit. I mean the name, the Latin name was taped them something less see them, I guess I shine is what it's called. But the but different species have different colors. There's owls that have read. I've seen some mammals that have read. Dogs, some types of squirrels.
Speaker 1: I would rule out. I would rule out owls simply due to the size of what I saw.
Speaker 2: Sure, Yeah, yeah, I'm just saying I'm not saying that, you know, I'm not trying to say it was an hours grow I'm just saying it doesn't shock me that you saw eyeshine. That's all right, Oh yeah, yeah, dude, dude.
Speaker 1: It's still to this day that was the creepiest thing of the whole thing. And it wasn't like a quick glint. That's what was weird it really, And again I think it was in association having researches after this happened, you know, learning that you know, when mammals get scared, their eyes dilate. It's a common thing to let more light in apparently for you know, a defense mechanism. So when this was happening, I mean it was like red, I mean red red, and again two thirty in the afternoon, filtered sunlight. And then you know, I had to then get to take into into consideration, well could it have been while you were removing your apparent movement? And I don't think so, because it happened while I was taking a step. Then I stopped, and then the second event of it happened. In other words, it was like the eye dilated red, and then it went back down again diminished, and then it it opened up again and it was red. And I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, I'm not a biologist, but like, but the the the as I understand it, that the red eye shine or all those eye shines are for animals that are supposed to be able to see in the dark. Uh, their eyes, the backs of their eyes kind of worke like mirrors and and collect the light better than ours do. Right, And so when you see that, you're always seeing a reflection of light sources that are available. As far as I know, there's no mechanism for any species that would cause the eyes themselves to be bioluminescent, right, exactly.
Speaker 1: That. Well, that's why I said it appeared bioluminous, And I mean relative to other bits of eyeshine that I that I've witnessed in my life, you know, driving on the road or seeing something at night last night with other animals. Uh it Yeah, it was just whatever it was, it was pretty creepy. And and again non glinty, I think, yeah, you see that glint and this was like it was like and again what came in mind again because I mentioned it in the big Foot phenomena, is that you do get these people who said they've seen these things. I mean not just people who said they've or I saw something. And then a red eagle like it was standing right there fully in front of them, and its eyes gave off this weird red glow either at night or game. Does that prove anything? No, But at least there are those eyewitness accounts. How valid or invalid they are to compare it to?
Speaker 6: Well, let me ask you, so the uh, how how long was it? How long were you on the property before you saw this?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I would say it was roughly an hour and a half to two hours. Again, getting up that hill was a real trial and error thing because we we it was a really steep hill and you go off. We remember we kind of tried to take it. It's almost like imagine a cone, okay, like an upside down cone.
Speaker 4: That's kind of what the hill was like.
Speaker 1: So you've got this, it kind of curves around, so let's try it over to the left, and it was literally too steep over to the left, And then we went over to the right and it was too dense. We didn't have anything like a machete or anything, so we just had to kind of weave our way up and trying to be quiet in case anything was going to But again we were really thinking that we're just trying to get to the roads to look for.
Speaker 4: Possibly for evidence.
Speaker 6: I guess, yeah, I guess one thing that that sort of sort of surprises me is that is that you know that these these people can live on the property for thirty or thirty five years and never see.
Speaker 4: It, and you're on there for an hour and a half and you find one.
Speaker 1: Right, but this is where but this property and I didn't say it was right next to theirs. This is property that extended for miles they lived. I was just saying they lived approximately three to four miles. As the crow flies away, this was the edge of it.
Speaker 6: But they're still in the area. I mean three miles for an animal, you know, ranges, that's not much.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say this too. I don't know how many of those have actually gone up woul it'd be steep narley hills. I would bet neither of the husband or wife ever went up one of these hills. And I mean, I'm saying, if these things exist, they're really smart. There's not a lot of them, and they're very wary. I don't think they're just going to be like strolling through people's you know, backyards. Well, you know, the best thing is, if you're ever up there, I totally recommend and tell you exactly where this hill is to give a little better idea of just how dense and steep it is. It was. I remember as we started up the hill, I was saying, God, you know. And another thing with this is as we went up, there was no evidence anybody else had ever been up the sill, I mean recently, there was no there was no litter, there was no human footprints there. It was just it's just like, what a pain of the ass to go up this thing. But again, the reason we were going up was because allegedly two kids at the base of the sill a few weeks later I supposedly seen one of these sings.
Speaker 4: So, you know, well, it's interesting.
Speaker 6: Let me fill up on that because you sort of brought up an interesting point about about about sightings, because there seems to be a sort of profound contradiction in a lot of the bigfoot literature and the proponents.
Speaker 4: On one hand, they.
Speaker 6: Say that that bigfoot are very rare, and they're very shy, and they're almost never seen, they're very elusive, and they travel at night, and they're nocturnal and and this and that, and so that they use that as a reason why there are so few sightings. But on the other hand, if you look at it, they're actually reported in in in uh, They're reported all over the place. They're reported in you know, all throughout North America. They're imported in virtually every state, I think, so that maybe Hawaii and there may be one there. They're reported in Pennsylvania, they're reported in New Jersey. So on one hand, you know, the argument is, well, these things are very lusive, that's why they're rarely seen. But on the other hand, then you have to explain why are they regularly seen and photograph?
Speaker 1: Well, well, see, actually, I think and if you listen to that Bigfoot show who we last recorded together, I actually a lot of skeptical arguments I think have a lot of that validity. But that particular argument you just made, I think is actually one of the weakest. And I'll tell you why I think it is.
Speaker 6: Well, I wasn't. I wasn't I wasn't making an argument. I I was just trying to understand the contradiction.
Speaker 1: Well, no, well, I just think this. I think that Well, well, people say there's a bunch of I and I said this at the beginning of the broadcast, is that or the podcast Rather that I think there's a healthy. If not a majority of sightings are misinterpretations, hallucinations or pure bs, that would not surprise me at all. But to say, if if that, let's say, like I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure whether or not or whether I believe or it's worthy of further investigation in areas of the east to further that, because if there's a lot of sightings elsewhere, therefore it's it's an either or proposition. Why is it impossible that there could be a lot of actually valid sightings that say, in the Pacific northwest and heavy heavy bullet quotient in the southeast. That's the cultural reasons. Why why is that impossible?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: That's the one percent argument where you get a lot in ghost hunting that ninety nine percent of them are crapped, and then there's one percent that are mysterious and real and worth investigating. And I don't know, I mean, the the the thing is like you've got this scale of people who are let's say one hundred percent credulous regarding Bigfoot and then very skeptical regarding Bigfoot, and the people who clicked data. Let's just say the BFRO for example, they have they had their database of sightings and they classify them by it was ABC and D if I remember correctly, So you know, most of them are not your class A. I saw a big foot, it was Harry, It was five feet away and I got a good look at it. You know, the majority of them are I saw something fur in the woods, or I heard something right, you know, and or I remember the thing that happened to me when I was a kid, and all those things. You know, maybe they may be true to those people, but that doesn't make them particularly compelling.
Speaker 1: Dude, I completely agree with you. I think the BFRO well, I've known Matt for many years, Matt Moneymaker, the who in really a lot of ways is the bfr O, because any decision that's made goes through Matt and all that. And I think Matt is a genuine believer, but he's got such a big dose of hype in his soul. For I think he takes the route of what by whatever means possible or the end justifies the means. And I think that's horrific. Not only is it wrong, it's also completely anti scientific. Yes, everything does count, how can you, I mean, every one of their freaking expeditions, someone oh, we heard knocking, we heard there were rocks thrown at us. I mean, you you start with the assumption that there are some of these things, the odds of the astronomical, that every one of these things, every one of these expeditions would would have something like this happened. So you know, we share a general belief in it. But the science applied, I think in the BFO and then the the Goal, the only scientific group investigated it. I mean, it's so funny. I mean, they have to be joking. But you know, if you've got someone like Bobo and your team, you've got to be taken seriously, right.
Speaker 2: H Yeah, I think because he is the living Bigfoot scale.
Speaker 1: So can I ask you guys a quick question? Sure? As as skeptics. So, I mean, when you hear someone like, well, I don't know, Jane Goodall say that she thinks these things probably exist, what do you say to that?
Speaker 2: Well, now you will be amazed when I tell you that I'm sure that they exist.
Speaker 4: You are, yeah?
Speaker 1: Did you always have this belief that they're that they that they exist?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a romantic, so I always wanted them to exist. Oh, actually I love that quote she gave. But She also goes on to say that she hopes they exist. I mean, but that that'sither she believes or not. Doesn't put a body on the slab.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, I'm just saying as someone as as someone who is I think rightly deemed an expert in primatology. And she comes out, in fact her first words, if you remember, which was actually very unscientific in that NPR interview, she goes, I'm sure that they exist, and then you could almost hear the wheels in her head. Wait a minute, All, I just admitted I think there's something to this phenomena, and then she backpedaled to a position of probability.
Speaker 6: But oh, go ahead, No, I was just saying, I mean, I I'm frankly not that impressed with that quote for a couple reasons. Number one, again, if you if you begin with the premise that you're sure they exist, then okay, I mean you, you're welcome to your opinion. The disconnect that I see is that Bigfoot is not known to exist, It's not even known to be a primate. I don't question doctor Goodall's expertise and her knowledge in primates and little and guerrillas. I would question her knowledge and expertise in bigfoot research, and I witnessed testimony and psychology and all the things that go into it.
Speaker 2: I would say that I know she doesn't believe in them. And here's why, because she's still in Africa looking at gorillas.
Speaker 1: She's like seventy two.
Speaker 2: In the United States, and she knew it for real, she'd be there looking at them.
Speaker 1: I mean, seriously, that's that's an assumption. Come on, man, She's got all these other things shell but here's a who knows how secretive, how smart higher primates are, and she probably is gone. In fact, she says in the interview, she's interviewed Native Americans, not speaking from her perspective anyway, not from a mythological point of view, but from other people who've heard the streams, have had alleged direct encounter. And if you go to those areas, she at all because I am her agent, Apparently she knows how relatively easy it would be for these things to remain undetective. Not that that that you know, we can just go in and oh, you know, you hear people go, I want to be satellite to be seeing them. And I mean, these are just such lame arguments you know, like it. It somewhat surprises me somewhat that a body hasn't been found yet, but not to the point where it overrides the sheer volume of eyewitness accounts. I think there's I think there's too many to ignore it, and and finally, I have one living in my basement.
Speaker 6: So I just wanted to go, well, I again, I guess to my mind that the issue is that, you know, if if Bigfoot were known to be a primate, then a primatologist opinion on that is relevant. Bigfoot is not known to be a prime.
Speaker 1: But ben if you take the vast majority, the vast, if not all accounts, clearly, if these things exist, it's a primate. Based on the descriptions. It's up it's upright, it's covered in hair, it's manlike. Hence primate. Why would you think it would be something else if it exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're only taking the part that fits the primate. There's other descriptions that have them being to get out of a spaceship. Okay, right, well right, I'm just saying, you get you're picking and choosing the descriptions that match the primates, and then give me hold on.
Speaker 1: Give me aspects Bigfoot sidings that are you know, generally occur in Bigfoot sidings that are non private.
Speaker 6: Well, there's a variety of them. But the question that the point, the statement that I made was that Bigfoot is not known to be a primate.
Speaker 1: Do you just where you didn't answer my question? Give me give me a couple of we're trying to you.
Speaker 4: Never answered my question.
Speaker 1: What was your question?
Speaker 4: My question was?
Speaker 6: I mean again the statement that you objected to what I said was that Bigfoot is not known to be a primate. As far as I know, that's a factual statement. Do you agree or disagree?
Speaker 1: Well, it's not no to be, but based on a descriptions, it stands the reason that it's probably a primate because it needs descriptions of a primate.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's fine, I mean, I I don't I don't you know, I'm I'm not going to dispute that, uh that many descriptions would suggest that it might be a primate.
Speaker 4: That that's not the question.
Speaker 6: The question is is there a necessary link between a a primatologist opinion about Bigfoot and Bigfoot?
Speaker 4: I see the same thing. Well, let let me let me give you an example. I see the same thing.
Speaker 6: And for example, ghost research where people tell me, well, you know ghosts or ghosts, can you know they can matimplate lest manetic.
Speaker 4: Fields because ghosts are energy? And my question is who told you ghosts or energy?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 6: What what facts are you pointing to that you know for a fact that ghosts are energy? And the answer is there is no. And so if so, if you're gonna, if you're going to assert some cert some some certainty that Bigfoot is a primate, then my question to you is how do you know? And if you if you just want to say I don't know, it's speculation, then that's fine.
Speaker 4: I'll I'll agree with you.
Speaker 2: I think we've been if I could sum up for ben if you correct me if I'm wrong. But I think you're saying it's kind of like saying dragons are reptiles. Yeah, they look at the reptiles, but we don't really know they're real animals. So it really doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when back in the eighteen hundreds or whatever, when people were reporting these man like beings on the on the folk the volcanoes of Rwanda, and they were describing them a primatology shouldn't have looked at that, right, you shouldn't have even considered it.
Speaker 2: No, No, you should look. I'm all for looking. I absolutely am for looking.
Speaker 1: We all agree on that. Yeah, right, So we just differ on I think we know what we're different.
Speaker 2: I think we differ on certainty spectacle that.
Speaker 1: I get paid for being comedic about it.
Speaker 2: Do you actually get paid for that? That's awesome?
Speaker 4: We don't get paid either, YEA, Like, what are you talking about that?
Speaker 1: I wish?
Speaker 6: I think no, But but I guess my point was that was that if we're gonna have these discussions, and we're gonna have these debates, and we're if we're going to move move forward towards understanding these things, we need to be very clear about what things were saying are facts and what things we're saying are actually speculation and theory. And as long as long as everybody is on the same page, and as long as everyone admits, because I can tell you how often you know, well, they found a.
Speaker 4: Big foot hair, what do you mean they found it? They did not find a big foot hair. They found a hair that someone claimed was a bigfoot. That is not the same as claim we found a bigfoot hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm just saying that it's back to the good old thing. If you're going to investigate an animal that possibly exists and the vast, if not all, of the side of the characteristics attributed to it fit a certain type of animal, and then you which clearly I mean in this case, points to a primate. I mean it's if, if speculatively, then when someone who is in that field, who is an expert, which I think you would agree Jane Goodall is and she says they probably exist, I'm just curious what you guys thought about.
Speaker 4: It, and you've I think she's welcome to her opinion, and that's fine.
Speaker 2: She she does say in the end that she maybe they don't exist, but she wants them to, right.
Speaker 1: That's true. She did say that too, but she but in the body of what she says, it's clear that she thinks they probably.
Speaker 5: Oh it is.
Speaker 2: It is clear that she's read a lot about them, and what she's read has been compelling to her.
Speaker 6: I would I would, I would actually be interested to find out what of these skeptical arguments she's read. I don't doubt that she's heard of bigfoot, and I don't doubt that she knows something about it. I would I would suggest you that probably I and Blake and you and probably your listeners have probably read more about bigfoot than she has.
Speaker 4: Bet I could be wrong.
Speaker 6: I could be wrong, but my guess is that that she doesn't spend her time researching bigfoot in evidence and reports, but would also.
Speaker 1: Standard reason she's also been in areas where these things allegedly exist a hell of a lot more than any of us have, and is therefore in a better position to glean whether or not the probability of such things existing without being found by us could be well.
Speaker 2: I would say that even if she came out and said she saw a bigfoot, it's still you know, that's an anecdote and it's an argument.
Speaker 1: You no, that's true. I mean, I would agree. I mean, look, we are totally as far as look part.
Speaker 4: And I don't want to get caught up in this.
Speaker 2: I really called you to talk about the Bigfoot show.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about bones and bodies show man.
Speaker 1: I don't know, could we have five people on it once or one of you guys should come on the Bigfoot show man. I think that would be would be awesome because there is I mean where we I think really strongly agree on a lot of points. Is that there is just so much horrible science in relation to this phenomena. It's a lot of fun. There's so many different dimensions to Bigfoot. There's the goofy kitchy aspect, there is the anthropological, there's the mythological, and it just so easily stuff you know TV shows that are just friggin I mean, finding Bigfoot. I mean it's just it's it's just laughable. So I anyway, I'm sorry, I'm rambling. It's okay, Well, let me.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you something I've I've been I've been wondering for a while now, and this is this is a it's sort of philosophical argument, but it's also a very very very germane to Bigfoot, and that is that the quality of the photographic evidence and the very evidence for Bigfoot has not gotten any better. These days, everybody has a five megapixel HD camera in their pockets with their iPhones, and at no time in history have so many people had so had high quality cameras on them virtually all the time. And and if you look at the history photography over the past decades, uh photographs of everything just about everything have gotten better. Photographs of sunsets, of of people, of animals, of the earth. There, all of those things that the the objective quality of the photographs and the information in those photographs has dramatically improved in the last twenty thirty forty fifty years. The sole exceptions are things such as bigfoot. The quality of bigfoot photographs and evidence has has not improved, as is glaringly not improved. Certainly, certainly, you know if they're still pointing to the Patterson Gimlin film from nineteen sixty seven, back when Lyndon Johnson was president.
Speaker 4: So I'm trying to figure out why, why is that?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 6: Why in the world would it be that if these if these creatures are out there and they're really seeing, you know, on a very regular basis, depanging where you are. And again you can say some of them are you mistakes or hoax that that's fine. But but assuming that these creatures actually are out there, why in the world would it be that that bigfoot are one of the very few things in the entire world for which the quality of photographs of them does not improve.
Speaker 1: Well. First of all, though technology exits or improves via camera if an animal is relatively small in nature secretive to begin with, if it's that doesn't mean you're necessarily going to be getting better pictures of it.
Speaker 4: I mean I would disagree.
Speaker 6: I would challenge you to find me to name me a single animal that is known to humans for which the quality of the photographs have not improved.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but that's like yeah, because they know they exist and they found the ways to get close to them. I mean that these things exist, I think it's safe to stay based on observations of them. I mean, I personally think that these things are more proto human, therefore very smart, small in number. I kind of agree somewhat with Krantz's speculation that old sway that if for every hundred bears whose brains are about the size of water walnut, maybe a little bigger, there's probably one of these things, if not less than that. So we're talking about something which also may and again it's anything to do with bigfoot. Apart from hard physical evidence, it's going to be speculative obviously, Although I would disagree with you on anecdotal evidence. I mean, it is evidence, it is the weakkeest, but the load of it, I think anyway, Sorry, is this a clean show?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, I didn't actually say anything about anecdotal evidence. I'm just trying to figure out what your explanation is for why the photographic evidence for Bigfoot has.
Speaker 1: Not But it also assumes is though. You know, if you're walking around, no matter how good the camera is, to get it to shoot, to be ready when you actually, let's say, see something that's incredibly rare, probably on average for your average person, takes at least ten seconds at least. People aren't walking around with headcams and they don't have them mounted, although there are those things that have the infrared stuff on the car, although that still wouldn't hold up as far as evidence, because if they exist, they're very obviously bipedal, and how could you say it's not a guy in a suit, So they're wary. If they're if they're real, they're very wary, don't hang along around for a long time. So I just assume somebody can get one out take a picture. And even if they did, I think we'd still agree photographic evidence is not going to be verification. Like you guys said earlier in the show, it's body or a part of body, or strong DNA.
Speaker 6: Right, No, I I I wouldn't disagree that the you know, I would never suggest that a photograph of Bigfoot is going to be hard evidence. I'm just But the fact of the matter is that you can point to dozens, if not hundreds of alleged Bigfoot photographs, and again, they don't improve over time. They have not gotten any better, despite advances in technology, despite more people having cameras on them.
Speaker 4: You name it. So again, I'm I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not trying to I'm not trying to badger you, but I answer.
Speaker 1: I just want to answer. I Actually, I think I think it's safe to say that again, well, we would agree that a percentage I think probably you think a lot higher percentage than me, But we both say it's a fair statement that a large percentage of sightings or misinterpretation, hoax, perhaps even hallucination. So let's say these things are out there, a small percentage of a smaller percentage of these things are let's assume actual. So someone where would they actually then see them? Well, I think, based on personal experience and having been in these places, a lot of it's going to be in harder to reach places. The ones that tend to be well, I saw them there, I saw them. You know, they might cross a road at night. In fact, according to Green's book, that's the most common is that is the one crossing a road at night. But who's got their camera? However good it is ready to roll at that point. These things don't hang around. I mean, they're not like what you know. Again, if it's true, they're not sitting around waiting for the photo to be taken. Maybe there's maybe there's a genetic basis why they're so elusive in regards to us. I mean I would, in fact go ahead.
Speaker 6: I'm not disputing that they can be elusive and whatever else. I'm just saying that all other factors being equal, whether it's you know, in twenty eleven or nineteen seventy four, people are still hiking in the wilderness, people are still driving on freeways, that all other factors being equal, you would expect it's logical to assume that the quality of the photographs and video evidence would dramatically improve, if not improve somewhat, And yet that doesn't seem to be the case.
Speaker 1: That's all right, but it's still kind of a paradox though, because what does it matter since it's not going to be it's not going to be worth the evidence anyway.
Speaker 6: But logically whether or not it would be considered definitive evidence is not relevant to whether or not there should be increasingly good photographs.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can see a lot of them. To go to YouTube. There's tons of shots of Bigfoot on there.
Speaker 4: Maybe it obviously hopes, is what right?
Speaker 1: I mean bet, it's almost like Okay, let's say, like tomorrow, a guy with a totally strong HD camera got one. Let's say he got one on camera and it, unbeknownst to us because we wouldn't be able to verify it anyway, was actually a sasquatch and it was shown to you. What would be your response, Well, it's only a photograph. It's not proof.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 6: In fact, that's that's not true at all. It would depend on the photograph. I mean, I would I would love to find Oh absolutely, I.
Speaker 1: Would you I don't. I don't see how any pure reviewed group would take a still photograph as verification that these animals exist.
Speaker 6: No, My point is that I would not reject a photograph at all. I would, I would, I would love to see any and all evidence that people bring forth.
Speaker 4: Whether it's photographs, I don't care. I want to see the evidence.
Speaker 1: So what would well hold on? What would be then a still photograph? What would have to be the characteristics of the still photograph that you could conclusively deduced was not photoshopped that would serve as strong evidence that bigfoot exists.
Speaker 4: I'm not following your question.
Speaker 1: Well, you're saying that you wouldn't rule out a photograph, So I'm asking you what are the characteristics that would have to be in that photograph that would be strong evidence for you that it's a big foot?
Speaker 4: Oh well, well I couldn't.
Speaker 6: I couldn't certainly couldn't prove that it's a big foot as opposed to something else. So that the question would be, you know, is it a photograph of ann known animal? What are the other you know, what are some of the other photographs taken the series? Is their forensic evidence that we can go to?
Speaker 4: Is it clear? Is it another blob squadch?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 6: Can we see actual details? I mean, this is the problem is that is it? These These are exactly the sorts of photographs and videos that are not emerging, and they they have never emerged, and this is this is one of the problems.
Speaker 1: Well, I I, well, I don't know. I kind of get your point, and I but I don't think it's that I don't know. I don't think it's because it's not gonna ultimately matter. The only thing I think that could because especially with Hollywood costuming today CG capabilities photoshopping. To me, the only bit of video that I think that could actually make a really strong impact in the scientific community, and again assuming they could rule out manipulation of the video, would be if somehow you had a stationary camera and this object, which was clearly meant the average description of what people reporting as being a big foot, you could and have to be a stationary camera to deduce that it moved from point A to point B at a speed which humans have not been able to do yet.
Speaker 6: Well, there's actually well, there's actually another thing, which is size.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the big red flags to me for the Patterson Gimlan film is that the bigfoot or guy in Issu, depending on which position you take, is human size. Now, but hold on here, if if if it were clear and it could be determined that that bigfoot is twelve or fourteen feet high. That to me would be again this thing you could rule that it wasn't photoshopped. That to me is very very compelling evidence that is is in fact a bigfoot or certainly something that people are calling hi bigfoot. So there is to answer your question, there is definitely some criterion that I would apply to bigfoot photos and videos if they can be authenticated, that that would definitely point that direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, but I would agree with you too as far as the corroborative, like if there was this although it gets like the whole like for example, the Patterson film stuff, people talk about these these measurements, well, you know, and they're basing it. There was no tape measure there. It wasn't a lap. So when they're using these, well Bob Gimlin says it was one hundred feet away. They use that, and then they deduce that it's like seven feet three and it's just it's it's it's not, I mean it's not it could be one hundred feet away, but it's it's guesswork. There was no measuring tape out. I think Daigling does a great job in Bigfoot Exposed making that argument and again, it goes personally as someone who works with video and filmed, just that as far as being proof, it's never going to get the job on. And then to add even an otter fact, I'm actually against killing one. So I'm in a quandary here. Dammit, we need to find it.
Speaker 2: What do you think the most compelling evidence for bigfoot is currently currently to me.
Speaker 1: Is the sheer volume of the sidings, historical sidings and not going back to like Grendel and stuff in the Pacific Northwest. I find people I've talked to, the compellingness of them, the amount of footprints, although I'm fairly certain a good majority of those could in fact be faked. It's just I don't find a parallel phenomena. And again it's not something I don't put it in the same Roman's ghosts because we're dealing with something that's either part of another dimension or I think what we're talking about here, if it exists, is simply an unclassified primate. And when you take the areas supposedly they live in the amount of sidings. Having been up there, having talked the witnesses and the personal experience I had, I lean toward it strongly. Existing, probably existing. I do leave over the possible possibility that it's all whoy, but I I find that a lot less probable, so that that's interesting.
Speaker 6: So so you're saying that the the most compelling evidence that you see for Brikfoot is the sidings, right, it's the volume of sidings. Okay, now what about what happened to me combined? Okay, all right, that's fine. So one thing that I find interesting about sidings, as as you know, as a I think you know from some of my stuff, is that you know I'm part of partly from my background in psychology, but also just from doing this a lot, is that I'm I'm not dis impressed.
Speaker 4: With with a lot of sightings. Theres a lot of people are you'redd, but but but.
Speaker 2: Here, but here.
Speaker 6: Here's what I find interesting is that if you look at sidings from an evidentiary point of view, that is, if if you look at what you know, what, what do we know about Bigfoot? Well the answer is we we do not know anything definitively about big anyway. But that being said, if you look at the evidentiary history of sightings in terms of what value has have historically have sightings given us what you find, and you might disagree, and I will ask about that is the answer is zero. One bigfoot sighting on some level is as good as a dozen or one hundred or a thousand big foot sightings. Because if you're simply talking about someone reporting and experience, I saw something, I saw something weird, I saw something I couldn't explain whatever else. I'm not saying that's true or not true, but I'm just saying that from an investigating point of view. You know, when I do these investigations, whether it's you know, big you know, whether it's Cuba Coabra sidings or ghost sightings or Bigfoot sightings or lake monster sidings. At the end of the day, to my mind, in my investigations, they're only useful insofar as they lead to other evidence. You know, I saw bigfoot, and you know where did you see it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: I saw it here and look there's there's a track. But but the the the quality of sightings that that I've seen is is is incredibly poor and and frankly universally poor. And so my question is is how how do you reconcile that? I mean, if if you're considering the volume of sightings as being the most compelling part of bigfoot evidence. Well then then then what what what what have these what have these sightings proven to us?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: What have these sightings demonstrated?
Speaker 1: Well, they haven't proven anything. I mean I think we we we agree with that, but it's the not just the sheer volume, but also people I've talked to directly that I find it hard to believe that they were misinterpreting something. Someone a guy uh In, for example, in western Pennsylvania, along with his wife, who struck me as incredibly sane, no reason to be as me, that they saw one of these things literally within four feet of them. It was just compelling. I mean, it's obvious. I agree, it's not. It's not verification, uh scientific verification, but you know, I mean again, like I want to throw in with this as well. I mean, the discovery of higher primates has always been a slow process. This doesn't obviously mean there is a sasquatch or such things as sasquatch, But it's not like, well they first heard stories about orangetic yeah right, wild metaborneal bullshit blah blah blah. Took a long time. Same with mountain grillas until one jackass shot one. So it's I think we're talking about. I mean, when you're talking about the type of animal based on the descriptions, it doesn't surprise me this could go on for years and not be verified if in.
Speaker 6: Fact, and it's gone on for decades in fact, I mean, that's and that's that's when the.
Speaker 1: Story, the stories of mountain gerrillas went on for a couple of hundred years before there were stories about that, long before there was verification.
Speaker 6: Well right, except for the fact that the lowland mountain guerrillas in Rwanda and South Africa are very different than tall bipedal creatures north of that.
Speaker 1: You said, we don't know anything about it. How do you know they're that much different? Aha? No, I know.
Speaker 6: The point that I'm making is that is that the circumstances you're talking, you're comparing, you know, an animal that was you know in Central Africa, you know, one hundred and fifty two hundred years ago or longer, depending on you know, when you want to start your age of exploration to an animal that is allegedly living in twenty eleven, you know, in the Pacific Northwest. These are very very different circumstances.
Speaker 1: They're not. I would totally disagree with that. There's a hunt over one hundred and fifty thousand square miles of forested land in the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia. There's over one hundred and thirty five thousand miles of inland beaches that area. I really if you've never been up there, I assure you've been on some expeditions. But I talked to a I don't recall his name. I talked to a Canadian primatologist once at a zoo at the Calgary zo and I said, Okay, here's a hypothetical. You're a mad scientist and you're able to clone mountain girls, and again assuming for them that a mountain gorilla and a sasquatch or somewhat similar. Harry, we know gorillas exist. People are describing these things which are bipedal or whatever. But just as give me a little room here, and you clone the thousands of these a thousand of them, and then you parachuted them in safely in various areas of the Pacific Northwest. They were able to survive it. How often would you see them? And his response was, oh God, you'd hardly ever see them. You might find a footprint every once in a while, but they're super smart, they're super reclusive in relation to human beings, and it could go on for a long long time before there was verification. And I just want to throw this in there too, is I don't know if you've heard this before, but I think it's a good argument on the pro side, as people, we were to find bodies lying around. Well, George Shaler in the sixties, head of the World Wildlife Fund, actually witnessed two mountain gorillas covering a dead mountain gorilla with vegetation, so the possibility and we know Neanderthals buried their dead, so if we are talking about a higher prime, perhaps a proto human, it's not that big of a stretch to suggest they might conceal their.
Speaker 4: Dead, right. Yeah, I guess again, I don't want to be a dead horse about it. I guess.
Speaker 6: I guess that I'm just slightly surprised or beat a dead big foot about it.
Speaker 4: But I guess.
Speaker 6: But I mean, how how is it that I'm trying to reconcile? I mean, if if if we all acknowledge and you admit that eyewitness reports have essentially zero eventuary value.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't not there the law. I would agree with you that they're the lowest four, but they are evidence. If if people didn't listen, well hold on, if that people didn't listen to stories before Mountain guerrillas discovered, they never would have been discovered. Maybe that would have been a better thing.
Speaker 6: I don't know, no, no, no, no, he I think you you're confusingly you you've talked about it. You this is that that's actually the second time that you sort of suggested that that skeptics are saying that we shouldn't listen to them. I have never ever suggested. I don't think Blake has either that anyone should ignore eyewitness reports.
Speaker 4: No one is saying that, but.
Speaker 1: None of that. But because there's no physical evidence, so it's like, it's like, well, no, no.
Speaker 6: What what I'm trying to reconcile is that is that you said that you consider that to be to be the most compelling type of evidence, which is fine, that's that's fine, But I'm just saying that Wait.
Speaker 1: I also said coupled with my own experience, which was that's fine.
Speaker 6: But I'm just trying to figure out again, given the fact that that you know, I witnessed reports and sightings, to the best of my knowledge, have never led to any you know, any known fact about Bigfoot?
Speaker 4: Where? Why why is it so compelling? Is it just because the volume of or well, I think.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's uh, there's nothing really to reconcile, I would say for me, because it sounds like you're just too damned patient.
Speaker 4: Ben, Yes, I am damn it, you're damn it.
Speaker 1: I mean it's good to have what results? Is uh it? Again? People? What not show? What are people saying? You've got a lot a lot of people saying they've seen primate like creatures. Let's look at the history of primate discovery. It's a slow process. I don't buy the argument we're so technologically advanced we'd be finding the net doesn't apply to this particular scenario because dense vegetation and steep slopes are in unbelievable abundance in the Pacific Northwest. And if we're talking about a viable preeding population of only let's say fifteen hundred. You do the math, it works out to something like a social group of these things, assuming they have like four or five per social group. Let's say like I'm a a girl. Again, assuming you could have one social group for every seven hundred roughly seven hundred and fifty square miles of forest, they occasionally have the rogue mail go out. Crance's theory on this hypothesis, it doesn't make it's not that unusual. It's just not that well, we would find them right away, no, we're not. With the brains of these things would be a hell of a lot bigger. You know that a bear obviously less in number to the bigger an animal is. There's less of them in a particular ecosystem. So it's it's not all that surprising to me that if in fact they exist, that I'm just more patient.
Speaker 6: Well, and the other thing that I have to I'll just throw this in there is that, you know, in researching the chupacaba my I mean, I I came across dozens and dozens of people who, uh, you know, I went, I interviewed many of them. I read the reports who were absolutely convinced that they've reported seeing something that resembled a chupacabra, and in various.
Speaker 2: Forms available at Amazon dot com.
Speaker 6: It is a dot com. But but but my point here is that is that you know this is I don't. I don't doubt for a second their sincerity. These are honest, sincere, good people. They're not liars, they're not hoaxers. They're But I mean, I know people who looked me dead in the eye and swore that they saw a creature that I am virtually certain and I've more or less proved in my excellent book Track than Chupacabra does not exist. And this is the problem that I have as again, don't I don't doubt for a second that people see things they don't understand, don't recognize. I know that for a fact. I know that better than most people do. But at the point in what you're going to tell me that you know that someone's saying they saw something they can't explain or can't identify is good evidence, that's where things get a little hazy for me.
Speaker 1: Well no, well, again, it's a sliding scale. I wouldn't put it as good, but it's a starting point, and it's been so in the history of science. I mean, the hit part of the scientific process, as you guys know, is the investigated process. Is there enough to further, you know, further looking around and it maybe unfairly. It's it's weird. I think a lot of believers will look at you guys so they oh, they're just scoff dicks and all that, you know, but they point out, you know, when there's bad pieces of evidence, like, for example, when Meldrum is still, for some friggin reason, holding out that Paul Freeman's footprint casts are real. I mean, it's like it's embarrassing. Come on, it's like a clown went through the forest.
Speaker 6: But it's like there's these bigfoot clowns and they have thoses and Seltzer bottles.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: But but I got to tell you that Jeff has gotten better, his gullibility has gotten lesson. In fact, I don't know if you guys saw this, and I don't want to get too far away from your point. I'm sorry, but he actually the first time I've ever seen him come out this whole thing in Siberia with the YETI thing, he actually spoke out. I mean, not that it wasn't pretty obvious from the beginning, you know, when there's only one like right foot making the prince. But you know, I think he's agree with you. Yeah, I think Jeff is getting is getting better, and I don't think. My guess is he was never or anyone in his family was ever pranked when he was when he was He's like one of the people in that movie the invention of line is like they just would tend to believe everything that's that's told him. But anyway, I think it's it's just it's an interest. Speaking of psychology, I mean, it's interesting, why you know we agree in a lot. Hey, there's no proof for Bigfoot. The physical evidence, I would agree is weak. But to me, I find the anecdotal evidence is strong. Plus personal experience and having talked to people. Yes, I think that leads to further investigation, and I think that there probably is something. But that's admittedly purely an intuitive thing. It's purely intuitive, So doesn't mean I'm right, doesn't mean I'm wrong. But I just think that greatest irony would be would be awesome if I read in the newspaper one day Ben Radford hits actual Sasquatch with car and British Columbia.
Speaker 4: Yes, or killed by a Bigfoot?
Speaker 1: No, you know what's gonna happen. You're gonna get all these die hard believers. They'll pummel your body and they'll try to make it look like a sasquad did it and lost control of the car. No.
Speaker 4: No, I, I I think you're right.
Speaker 6: And again I think we actually agree on on on quite a bit. And and I agree with you about Jeff. I mean, I I know Jeff Meldrum.
Speaker 4: I like him. He's a nice guy.
Speaker 6: I I happen to think fairly highly of him, except in certain circumstances when I don't think his sciences is good. But but you know, on the whole, I mean I I think he did the right thing by stepping up and saying, look, you know this is bogus and uh, and good for him. I wish I wish more people in the Bigfoot community would would would come forward and say, you know what, this is bullshit and you know what I got used here and and you know, and and try and sort out the the good evidence from the bad. And I think that's one thing that I try to do. And Monster Talk and Blake and others and you as well as they say, look, guys, I mean I think at the end of the day, I think it really we're on the same page. Uh, you know, we're trying to find the truth to Bigfoot, and and I'm trying to figure it out, and you're trying to figure it out. And and you know, this is why I sometimes get baffled when people suggest that, well, you know, I'm somehow like I'm paid to like debunk Bigfoot or something like, what does does.
Speaker 4: That even mean? You know, I'm not.
Speaker 6: First of all, I'm not paid. Second of all, you think I would love to find Bigfoot? I mean, I just come at it from a from a you know, a slightly more I think science based, skeptical in view.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, you know, to my mind, you're open to it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, and and and and frankly, I think that that that not sorting through the bulk and the truth and the myths and trying to point these into different categories is a disservice. We we need people to step up and say, you know what, this may not be definitive evidence, but it's pretty good. And you know what, these videos, these photos, these are all crap. And and let's just clear out the hoaxes, clear out the fakes, and and focus on the good evidence.
Speaker 4: And that's what I try to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, that's good man, it's it's uh, I mean, it's a great mystery. It's very fascinating. And uh, you reminded me when you're talking about something there that I think really comes into play here. Well, not only on the believer side, I think, perhaps more on the believer side, but also the skeptical side too.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And not with you guys per se, but whenever you get a groups of people with particular bent one way or another believer non believer, then you get the group thing and and and and the snarkiness on both sides that oh, and he just doesn't know what he's talking about, blah blah blah and blue blah. And you know, to me, it always shows the danger of group thing whatever is. You have to individually analyze every specific incidence individually. How often do I see it in this phenomena, It's just you know, again, like the BFR expeditions, you can just kind of, my god, what are the odds that you're getting that much, you know, evidence when you go out. It's it's so astronomical if assuming these things are real, that it would just it's ridiculous. It's I guess one thing I would say to whatever whoever's listening to this, you know.
Speaker 4: Both of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, always look, you know, look at what the person's claiming, and then what what are they offering up? And then and see if there's either you know, they being It's hard to determine if someone's lying or not. But you know, just like you said, Ben, you know, try to separate the bullshit from me. And in this phenomenon, it's all been to this point. I happen to believe that there will be verification, probably in two months now. Actually I was God, I would think a I imagined a question you guys might ask me today and something along the lines of, well, how long would this have to go on without verification before you would give up the ghost as it were, I'm fifty two, I'm gonna I Actually I've said this years ago, though I really honestly think it could go on a long time if there's a small number of them and they are super smart and they like I believe, because we know there's evidence of suctions Cougar's will you know, don't leave tracks at certain times, and freaking Cougar can do it, then an alleged higher prime make it definitely not want to leave tracks at certain times perhaps, or be conscientious of it, conscious of it other I think it could go in a long time, but it's got to be I guess be tough for you guys, because it's hard to prove it negative. I said, It's like, you know that a believer could always go all he's always just right over the hill. He just you just missed it. You know. It's like kind of the Santa you know.
Speaker 2: Actually, the thing that bugs me is having had experiences that were very unusual that I would have classified as paranormal and later figuring out what really happened or what I think really happened. But I know how deeply unsatisfying it is to be told that the thing that you experienced wasn't what you thought it was, you know. The you know, for people like, for example, there's a lot of people who've had ghost experiences or haunting type experiences who have nothing to show for it except they were scared and something weird happened.
Speaker 1: And how frustrating is that, you know.
Speaker 2: So, you know, from the big foot side, there's something about a bigfoot siding, like you mentioned your friend coming to tears. It's it almost seems like a quasi religious experience. Sometimes when when people describe their their experiences with seeing Bigfoot, even if it's just a parcel sighting or you know, you know, a possible sighting, I think.
Speaker 1: Of that instance he was actually crapping his pants.
Speaker 2: But go, well, it wasn't so much the tears as the involuntary urination.
Speaker 4: This episode brought you. It depends.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it puts us an awkward position to skeptics to say, that's great, I'm glad you had that experience. If it was okay for you, I'm sorry if it wasn't. But to us, we need a body, right, you know that that's it's a very unsatisfying answer on our side, even though it's the one we're stuck with.
Speaker 1: No, but it's but I you know, I agree as far as you know shared knowledge in the world. I mean, I am a huge fan of the scientific method. That's how we share things. Well, you know because why because people can mis perceive, people can lie, people can hallucinate. So if we're going to share something, you know, in one sense, we should all be from Missouri, you know, show it to me. So because so often in the history of man there have just been those instance things were believed for Soult's just believe. Well, why well, you know, Joe Blow said it. We are, the Earth is at the center, the sun goes around us. Dude, the pre set it, you know. So it's just you know, always being I guess open to you know, I guess certain to a degree in your own direct experience, but also being willing to question it and look at it from other possible perspectives. And if it still comes back, like for example, with me, I literally have done that, and I still think that's what probably happened. Do I know it? Absolutely? Did I see a six foot tall thing standing directly in front of me. No, But I looked at the videotape immediately afterwards. I saw glowing red eyes. It was the two kids were very believable at the bottom of the hill. I find it hard to look at it as being a psychological phenomenon. I mean, I could be fooled just like anybody else, but I just don't think that was the case there.
Speaker 6: And frankly, I mean, you know, to be honest, if I had been there with you, I probably would I probably would have thought the same thing.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 6: That's the thing is that I it's not like I'm sitting back here saying, oh, that's crazy, you know. I mean, I you know, for all I know, I would have been, you know, blubbering like a like a you know, schoolgirl along with it.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I mean that's the thing. Unless you're in that situation, you don't know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and it's like, you know, and it must be really uh frustrating, like Blake was saying. I mean, like, for example, UFOs, if in fact UFOs exist, and if there's a man and a woman you know who without a doubt, I mean unless I mean again, how do you really know unless there's some you know, but that some craft was right in front of them right there, said something got out and let and you know, you know, I think what's the lesson to be learned? You have to.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think Ricky Nelson said it best in Garden Party. You can't please everyone, You gotta please yourself. Good night, everybody?
Speaker 2: All right? Well, I think the sun's coming up and I still have to go to work, right okay, Well, Scott, thank you for talking to us today.
Speaker 1: Hey, it was fun, man, it was Yeah. It's one of those topics I never really get tired of yacking about and uh it was. It was good man, It was a lot of fun, and I think one or both of you guys should definitely come on. I think it would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you don't think it would be too much, I would be interested for sure. I bet you it could be entertaining for your listeners.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no, no, no, it would. Dude, believe me, I mean we have actually, you know, we're how would I characterize this? I mean, like Brian is that we're all well, Brian and I are admitted believers. Paul doesn't say he's believe. I actually think he does believe, but uh, you know, he remains it, but he does a good job on the show of remaining pretty like on the fence and looking at it that way. We have a new guy just came on. Great guy. Sam Rich, like myself, thinks these things probably exist, but thinks a lot of the evidence, you know, is pretty damn weak. So yeah, I'll talk to Uh, Brian's got of the main dude, you know, I mean, he runs the recording and all that, so uh yeah, I'll run it by him, and I think it would be great.
Speaker 2: Okay, do well, thanks again, for joining us and oh good lord, yeah, what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 1: Oh? My fuck? Oh man all the time. But that's when that came to mind. The scariest still to this day, the scariest is Lawn Cheney Junior. Is the wolf Man? Still the scariest classic favorite monster? Am Maybe the wolf Man? It could be a pattern, very bipeds. It's a wolf man. Wolf Man. That creature from the Black Lagoon.
Speaker 2: That's pretty creepy too. Yeah, I like the one from Monster Squad. Did you see that movie Monster Squad with the kids. It's like, oh, you should watch it is classic.
Speaker 1: Did you see Super Have you seen Super eight?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, I just saw that today. That was a pretty good monster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very cool monster.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they did a great job of capturing the seventies, didn't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I kept I was torn. I was like, I know that's what they were going for a little homage to spielberghism. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: It was like, let's have one more nineteen seventy Spielberg film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was just so much. There was so much like, oh, here's a little bit of Jaws. Now they're thrown a little bit of close encounters in Oh and it here comes et and you just see the scenes that were influenced by the various Spielberg films.
Speaker 4: Was there any Howard the Duck?
Speaker 1: God wait, I changed my answer, Howard the Ducks scarious monster.
Speaker 2: And scene. Okay, Well, thanks a lot, Scott.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Hey, have a good holiday season. And yeah you did the same. All right, take squatching at Amazon dot com.
Speaker 4: There, squat chick out.
Speaker 1: Okay, take care morest.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks to listening to this extra long episode of Monster Talk on behalf of Ben Radford and Karen Stolesno and myself Blake Smith. I want to give my deepest thanks for your continued support. If it weren't for all of you making yourselves known on Facebook, Twitter, and email, my wife probably wouldn't be so willing to let me put this show together. And in case this turns out to be the time she actually listens all the way through, I love you, honey. Thanks for helping me have the time to do this show, and thanks again for everyone who's contributed to the transcription project. Your donations are really helping, and I'll be working with Skeptic Magazine's webmaster to build a producer page to give you fine folks and more lasting tribute. And speaking of Skeptic magazine, Monster Talk is produced with their help and if you like our show, you'll like their magazine over at Skeptic. I want to thank William Bull, the webmaster who slaves all day over a hot keyboard to make sure this show gets out to you listeners. And Daniel Loxton, the editor of Junior Skeptic, who gave this show a chance to flourish when it was only barely germinated. Monster Talk theme song is by Pete Stealing Monkeys and Brian Thompson as the Crampus.
Speaker 1: Hungry for more skepticism.
Speaker 5: Want to learn the truth about the scientific controversies of our time, then subscribe.
Speaker 2: To Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen J.
Speaker 1: Gould called the best journal in the field.
Speaker 2: To subscribe visit skeptic dot com today.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, I can't hear anything. Hold on, hello, still can't hear anything.