Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five fifty four of five and five. It is Monday, June fifteenth. I'm your host, Craig Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuk and Jeffrey pattern Nostro. Gentlemen, how was your weekend?
Speaker 2: I watched a lot of soccer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: I did not watch a lot of soccer.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't, as I believe, as discuss, you don't care for this of that, right, No.
Speaker 3: I don't. Yeah, and you know I don't. It's fine, glad you guys are having a good time. I I started watching, as I noted in the discord, I started watching, and see why because it's I mean, it's a good movie.
Speaker 2: It is a good movie.
Speaker 1: Which did you start watching?
Speaker 3: It's a Currancy is nineteen eighty five Soviet film about World War.
Speaker 1: Two, and je Jeff has mentioned this several times.
Speaker 2: It's considered the most one of the most unpleasant films to watch.
Speaker 3: Yes, now that said, I have not watched any of the unpleasantness yet. I'm half an hour in and nothing has happened except people are sad and they're staring at the camera.
Speaker 1: I think Jeff and I should walk you through the World Cup like you take your children to random people's houses and just walk walk through that, just start talking about you for something.
Speaker 3: The group chat is become.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tunisia has fired their manager this morning after losing five one to Sweeten last night. Yeah, that was a late game, you might domestic, Craig.
Speaker 1: I did, I was. I was up, but I was not.
Speaker 3: But I just wanted to note for Craig since because I started, I got the first half hour before the weekend, and then I could not watch it over the weekend because my children were constantly walking and I did not want to see in them the TV exposed to the horrors of war. So instead I watched Death Valley, the show of it on print box, championing. It's fine, Craig, It's.
Speaker 1: Not like, oh, come on all right.
Speaker 3: What I will say is that your cozy mystery, your cozy murder show exists on two axes, and exists on the cozy access and access and the murder axis. And the coziness is great, very charming, both leads, you know, very strong. The murders sub murder, she.
Speaker 1: Wrote week Okay, sure, yeah, yeah, like but it's funny. Ludwig is also very charming and has about mid grade murders, whereas this one is D.
Speaker 3: Minus murders, like you just don't care about what actually happens.
Speaker 2: Just I think that's yeah, murder quality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the the murder plots are not as strong as I would say your average law order show. That's what I would say.
Speaker 1: It doesn't the point because the point is their relationship. The point isn't the murder.
Speaker 3: Right, you have an interesting murder as well.
Speaker 1: You can do both. It's it's perfectly a half hour show. Is it half hour? Is it's they're perfectly. It's also like it's also funny, like it's the writing. The writing is going to jokes and not to the murder plots. It's also I like, look, you're talking to someone who has watched every episode of Bones. Okay, you're not gonna like you're not gonna knock me down on like the the I don't know the quality of the murder plot.
Speaker 2: Bones is also like weirdly dark for no reason at times though Bones like the tonal whiplash in that show.
Speaker 1: We did this, we did? I don't we did Bones after uh maybe the second Child, I don't know, but like it met us where we were is what we kept saying, which was like completely mindless. That show makes no sense.
Speaker 2: No, no, don't, don't absolutely insane.
Speaker 1: No, but Death Valley for a murder procedural mystery show. It is very funny. It's on BritBox. If people are out of four stars, please don't make me rank it out of five. No, I think three out of five. But like, to me, it's a good time, Like it's not the.
Speaker 3: Problem for me, you know, is the and this is not the fault of the art. But like, you know, like I haven't had time to watch Fallout. Is it better than Fallout?
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 3: I probably should have just watched Fallout.
Speaker 1: I liked Fallout, so that's why I like when I watched the Fallout show, I'm like, you're gonna get way better production value on Fallout. I'll tell you that, certainly. So I would also say this. I did not play Fallout, so I don't know. Did you play Fallout? Okay, so I don't know. I'm sure it is. I don't like games where I have to spend a lot of time deciding what I'm going to carry and like because because I can't. Well, the thing is like, if I had infinite time, I would probably like it, but like I spend too much time agonizing over like.
Speaker 2: Suitcase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very hard to give that game.
Speaker 3: That's just that puzzle. There's a game where they just made it the entire game, putting things in the suitcases. It was.
Speaker 1: It was very difficult for me Patrick in in Elden Ring to not be You were like, you have to not be like overburdened, like overweighted or whatever it is like to do the proper moves. And I was like, no, but I I want to have everything quit Like that was tough for me. So I don't think Fallout is for me in that respect, you know what I mean? Like it's just too much anyway. But so I don't know what happens is the point I'm getting.
Speaker 3: Has nothing to do with the games. I mean, oh does it not?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Every every game in the Fallout universe starts is in a different town and basically is its own story. Uh. The only thing, the only thing related is that some of the principal actors the factions have the same characteristics in each one. The n CR always acts a certain way.
Speaker 1: Right, But why I assumes this was Fallout New Vegas or whatever it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's just it's separate entirely. Okay, I had no idea. Yeah, I mean I would. I don't know, Like there are plot problems in Fallout two. I guess as well, I would say, so, Yeah, I don't know. If I didn't know you were going to watch it over fall Out, I probably would have told you to watch them.
Speaker 3: Well, I can't watch it in front of the kids. They there's the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. It is a little bit gross.
Speaker 3: There's like six things in the world I can watch when the kids could just wander in and.
Speaker 1: Death Vally works for definitely what we went far Afield. I had a whole rant about anyway, whatever I think. I feel like we got we covered a lot of Sorry, sorry, Jeff, Do you know it's fine, It's totally fine, Jeff. Would you like to add anything?
Speaker 2: I mean, not really. I'm playing me to the hollower where I'm at, which is kind of elden ringish where you have to like get to the spot where you died to get your stuff back kind of mechanic. And it's also like I am two, Like I do not have the time, patients, or reflexes for this kind of like, I'm enjoying it a lot, but it's like you can only attack in four directions and the enemies can attack in eight directions. So it's like lining it up right with your little mace. I'm using the mace on a whip thing. That's my main weapon.
Speaker 1: A mace on a whip. Yeah, that's a great weapon.
Speaker 2: It is, but it's like the ranch attack weapon. It's a really really well done game that I am not particularly good at.
Speaker 1: But yeah, all right, yeah, well let's go to our first segment. Baseball is a game that Jacob Misrawski is particularly good at. Our first segment is nobody beats the miss fifteen strikeouts, one hit, no walks.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean you didn't know you faced the minimum?
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't. I honestly didn't really, I did not get to to watch it. I didn't realize he faced a minimum. It was also a maddox. Yes, so you have here in our Rundown best pitching performance.
Speaker 2: Since apparently Sarah Lang looked this up and the last player to do this gave up two hits but also faced a minimum is Eric Badard.
Speaker 1: Naturally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like the miss before there was the miss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it kind of was uh yeah, I mean didn't didn't John Lackey have one of these. It wasn't fifteen strikeouts or anything like that, but he had like he gave up a leadoff double.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's the carry carry was twenty strikeout game obviously with also as a one.
Speaker 1: Hitter, right, Uh, I know Kershaw had his no hitter was fifteen strikeouts, which is also like the next day. Uh, Yamamoto took a perfect game, Yeah, with seven and two thirds before Mookie booted a ball, wasn't missing nearly as many bats. I mean this I just I don't have that much to say because I feel.
Speaker 2: Like we just we just did.
Speaker 1: He just talked about two or three pods ago, like Miserski is is he the best pitcher in baseball? And was like, well you could. I think I ended up saying maybe it was more than two or three pods ago because it was during Christopher Sanchez's Sanchez's uh streak.
Speaker 2: Excuse well, he just gave a Hornda Blake Perkins, so he's out.
Speaker 1: No, but he well he's yeah, the Patre's got him for two runs, so I think, which is like six runs for a normal team. But like Sanchoes felt like it at the time. I think I think I said, if you want to say, Misserraski, at that time you were, well, you know, in your right to do so. I think you have to say it now. Yeah, that that Sancho. Look, I mean it feels it's all reactionary, but like you're saying, is he the best in baseball right now? Probably? Yeah? I mean I don't know how else to who else is doing it better?
Speaker 3: Yeah? If he has stopped walking anybody?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right. I mean I saw I saw Jarrett mentioned this within the last week or so, but he pulled a post of his from I think twenty twenty four maybe, and it was like, if Misrawski gains a greade or two of command, he's going to be among the best pitchers in baseball.
Speaker 2: Well he has, yeah, maybe more than more than too, maybe.
Speaker 1: More than that, and you know he's he's all greats down what under eight percent with his stuff. I mean again, I would recommend anyone go read Joshihan's newsletter on this. It was very good. I mean he had a line about you know, this is like trying to slip Sid Finch two point zero by you. It's one four and a half. He threw every pitch over one hundred, every fastball over one hundred. Yeah, it is, it's it's you don't have the vocabulary for this kind of stuff. We this this is not it's video game stuff. We're talking about video games in.
Speaker 2: Our hour cutters and ninety mile an hour curve balls behind it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we're talking about video games in our in our banter, but like this is this is video game stuff.
Speaker 3: Do you want the world's dumbest fun fact ever? Sure? I got a really dumb fun fact for you. Candy Cummings is in the Hall of Fame, right, He's in.
Speaker 1: The Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Not for being the of the world he minted the curve ball, but he did throw two nine and he is here. Jacob he has fewer strikeouts than Jacob Misrawski this year. Yeah, he has one hundred and thirty strikeouts in his career. Mizrawski is one hundred and thirty one this season in eighty inks.
Speaker 2: Yes, but clearly Babrias is the best baseball players.
Speaker 1: So so, Patrick, you recently wrote about games score. Yes, I'm pulling this.
Speaker 3: From she She had posted.
Speaker 1: Uh, Misraski got a game score of one hundred. Yeah, that's tied for eighth highest of all time. Terry Woods twenty strikeout game tops the list at one O five. Max Sureser had a one oh four Kershaw's no hitter one O two yeah, and then a few one on ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Basically at that point you have to basically you you have to strikeouts count for game score, right, yeah, you have to get struck, but.
Speaker 2: Also you have to go like fourteen.
Speaker 1: He has a this is nine innings or fewer his best ever. Yeah, once, because there are right, there are and shit like that.
Speaker 3: It feels like we need a second game score for the very edges of gamescore, Like we need something a little more fine, like a little more granual or granular for basically just people ninety eight and above. Let's let's put it on a news scale. But it's yeah, no, it's it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's I again, I'm gonna refer back to Joe's newsletter, But like he says, there's a ruthlessness to Miserowski. That called to mind the way Pedro Martinez wiped out lineups at his peak, and that that really clicked for me like when you when you watch Miserowski just blow it by people in the zone. It that that is to me, like just the fastball is what Paedro's fastball was. They just couldn't You couldn't touch it, right, you you cannot touch it. It really is just and then and then like Pedro, you get to, as just said, the cutter and the slider.
Speaker 2: And you know, change up obviously, the change.
Speaker 1: Up, like it's just it's it's crazy.
Speaker 3: There will be another one of these. There'll be another Chicken Misrawski fifty years from now, and I hope that by then, when I'm dead, that we won't have to constantly think about like how many more months of this are we gonna get? Yeah, medicine has improved to the point where we can just like have something like this forever, Like I know, and you can't have it forever. But man, like the same thing with a tany right, like just being like, boy, there's only so many of these left. It's like it's like it's like counting down the days for the kid to move out, for the kid moving out of high scheat, out of the house, and you're like, yeah, I've only got so many days.
Speaker 2: Then I can watch fall Out.
Speaker 1: So also on this also on this rundown, we have the Brewers just keep doing this shit. It is this about? I mean, is this about? What? What is this is this about?
Speaker 2: Is does Kyle Harrison and sure, yeah, I mean wedding bands, protos nothing good? But like, I mean, getting this out of Miserowski is part of it, right, like getting the command jump. Like there's a lot of scenarios where he ends up like I don't know, like Edward Cabrera like or just a good lateening reliever right or he's like which is great, Like if he turned into Mason Miller, you'd be like great.
Speaker 1: Oh, I used to me, I was gonna say, maybe fancy Andrew Miller right like he was looking even late year when he was both like their best picture and also they couldn't start.
Speaker 2: Him right he would have he would have us still starts where he would just like lose his own for an ending too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was kind of like I can or maybe not even anything else, but you know, like eighteen Batters was kind of his his thing, so yeah, no, this is definitely yeah, like a Brewer's.
Speaker 4: Thing.
Speaker 3: Well they figured out as right, like.
Speaker 1: It took a while they figured it out. Yeah, I don't know. Yes, they keep doing it, but it isn't I mean this, this to me is is and and I'm sorry for bringing up the Dodgers again, but like I felt like there was a lot of comment comments when Tyler Fitzgerald, like the Dodgers picked him up or whatever, they just released him. But it is like you kind of don't always clock when they move on from these guys when it doesn't work as well, Like to your point, like Sproute isn't going great right now, they might fix it again, miss RASKI took a minute, Ashby took a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Look if you look at what they got back for Corbyn burns right, like dal Hall, like they're still kind of using as a reliever and they're about to move on from Joey RTIs probably so, and they got like one good season of joy but their hit rate is really good.
Speaker 1: It's just enough, right yeah yeah, no, I mean look but d L. Hall has been well yeah yeah yeah yeah. The e ra is not that but the walks are aggressive.
Speaker 2: And he misses time because he's d L. Hall.
Speaker 1: Right, they do just keep doing this. They are also let's see here, for twenty six Yeah, their best record in all of baseball also the National League because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like yeah, like some of it looks have they benefited I guess from the Cubs injuries and general struggles that they're gonna probably waltz that division now. Yes, but they're still they're also they're holding up their end of the bargain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't mean to sound like a hater. I don't. Again, they're seven and a half up on the Cubs, they're five up on the Cardinals. That's plenty. Yeah, and they probably will. You have to like they are easily the favorites to win the division. They're a very good team and they have a big lead. It's a long season. I suspect it'll get tight and then well, yeah, we'll say that's my suspicion.
Speaker 2: I think that's a lot on what the Cubs do from here.
Speaker 4: Yes, like fair enough the cardinal.
Speaker 2: I like this Cardinals team, and then I know it's like they blew two games against the Twins like their pen just didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a Cardinal either. I just I think the Cubs can make it tighter. That doesn't mean they take the lead. That doesn't mean they win the division. I think you know this. It feels very much to me every basketball game, as as we found out, every basketball game is long, and like if you watch enough NBA, that third quarter run where things get tight happens so much and then so frequently it just you know, it fades, it doesn't. There's a push and then it doesn't, you know, and then there's a separation again, not if you're San Antonio, Yeah, but a lot. And I guess I could say I could see that happening over the season here for Milwaukee, where like it gets tighter and then maybe there's a separation later for Milwaukee. Again, I would expect them to win this division. I just I think it's a it's a long season, and look, when things get close, anything can happen, right that is, you have the possibility as we saw in the NBA. But uh yeah, I I I don't know. So now you have a Now we have a who you got between? Is this just an NL Central.
Speaker 2: Baseball right now?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's interesting you say we have so we have Ja cub Minzerowski, all Skins and Chase Burns. I just saw Pat Lackey, who wrote our rates comments for the annual. This year, people might know him better as why GAVs where you've gone? Andy Vance? Like author had a scheme's spinning a little bit of a rough Yeah.
Speaker 2: I get he has a two point eight R.
Speaker 1: But yes, he's been a little bit of a yeah and it was better than that, yeah, right, Like it has been a rough patch, there's been he pat noted a number of things like his His splinker seems to be off. I know the stuff models never really liked the splinker. It is aggressively disliked by stuff Pro. A number of his pitches are are not well liked by the stuff model, which is interesting. His he's been throwing his change up a lot more than good change up. It is a good all his bitch, despite what the stuff models say. In my opinion, all his pitches are pretty good. But there there does seem to be something a little bit off here. Sure for the present, I don't think it means like it's permanent. He's definitely shown the ability to make changes. I don't know. It's it's an interesting time.
Speaker 2: Right, And like in any other year where jakeot Mizerowski wasn't doing this, we're talking a lot more about Chase Burns. He's been great.
Speaker 1: Yes, I adore Chase Burns. I have an extreme affinity for him. I think you have Jacob.
Speaker 2: I guess, like, again, it's like he's like both the Like again, Burns throws like a hundred. It's not like he doesn't have a ton of velocity, and he is great fastball carry. But like you can't even be like, oh, well, like how long can Vizierowski do this throwing one hundred and five? Like Burns friggin comes over the top as hard as he possibly can at one hundred. So there's injury risks for all of these guys.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I was gonna say, like, it feels like Skins is the one most likely to stay healthy, which means ultimately.
Speaker 2: There were definitely scouts that were like, did not love his arm action. But he's also built like a little linebacker, which right, And all these guys like Burns is big, Mazewski are big. None of these guys are like pedro size, right, But yeah, like you would just say, like, the human body cannot keep throwing a baseball one hundred and four miles an hour, sixty times game unless it can, right.
Speaker 1: Do you. I also saw I'm gonna borrow from from uh something Jarrett said, And I don't want to impugne. I know you do a podcast with Jared, So if this was already done or you're going to discuss it there, we can defer it. But like, does it does Miserowski make you reconsider the volatility? Like how how we discount volatility? Maybe I will?
Speaker 2: They talk about this a little bit on our show, And like, I don't think Jacob Misowski turning into a starter means there wasn't significant reliever risk, right, Like that's that's part of it.
Speaker 1: Like, well, but the question is like, goold you air about the reliever risk. I mean, I think the same way. You know. I'm not saying we were wrong. I'm not right, you know what I mean. The question is like maybe you just like you've also got this that you thro the window.
Speaker 2: I think that's will apply to Mizerewski over the long haul because it just applies to every picture. Now, is you know starters are just throwing less innings, fewer innings. Yeah, so that's so unless you're Crispa Sanchez, I guess, but even he is throwing fewer innings than like you know, Max Schurzer did in the mid twenty tens or whatever.
Speaker 3: Well more less than fewer than Dan Petrie was thrown.
Speaker 2: Fewer than Candy Cummings was throwing. And you know, so it does wait it the other way to an extent, but like there's also like, you know, Mason Miller is basically a one ending guy, and you obviously you pick your spots for Mason Miller, which has value. So and I've said this before about Josh Hater specifically, the rank Josh Hater is the nineteenth best prospect in baseball I think around there are top twenty the year before he debuted, and again there was like known reliever risk there. He was still starting, but there was a non reliever risk there. And for what he turned into, Like yeah, like that that feels like a good ranking to me. But I do think if you're going to rank guy that high, he has to be like he can't just be I don't know, I'm trying to get a picture that has just turned into like a good but not like gut starting pitching prospect that has turned into a good but not special reliever late inning guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: That's a good like he was a good closer for a few years.
Speaker 1: The reason the reason I bring up he was a good closer for a few reasons for a few years, and like there was they fast tracked him into relief and then there was always talk about like, oh, maybe we'll make him a starter again, and they were like, no, he's too good as a reliever. Yeah, and he was, but then he wasn't.
Speaker 3: A J.
Speaker 4: Puck's a good one too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Sean newm.
Speaker 2: S sew Neum.
Speaker 1: Now yeah, yeah, he looked great. He looked great. H all right, anything else we want on this subject? Patrick, I feel like I've done a lot of talking.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, I'm shocked that you're able to because I mean I don't know, Like what do you say?
Speaker 1: It's enjoy it and everyone's enjoying it. Watch I mean honestly, like we're like watch Jacob Mizrawski. Please, this is.
Speaker 2: A different kind of dominance. And if you think though it's not looks like great dominant pictures, right, I.
Speaker 1: Want to say, like looking at the data, you know that post, it's like looking at the data and simply laughing or whatever. But just like watch his start and just laugh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it would be interesting to go back to like basically Nolan Ryan, Like we don't have a lot of footage of Nolan Ryan in his twenties, but like that and Nolan Ryan's weird because Nolan Ryan, one of the big Nolan Ryan's big things is that he was just able to do what he did forever, right, right, But that same sense that I'm just gonna throw the ball. But like Ryan is misrasking, not finding his command.
Speaker 5: Right, guess a lot more than Johnson, I mean, is essentially the Randy Johnson. Yeah, Randy Johnson, Like Randy Johnson feels closer to Chase Burns to me though, or it's just like here are the two pitches.
Speaker 1: Well I agree with that, but I guess I mean, like it was walking a lot of guys and then suddenly it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah that nineties Randy Johnson, Like.
Speaker 2: Like although Randy Johns twenty eight instead of twenty three.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, I mean it's a big So I'm going to ask this, I guess mostly to Jeff, and it's not a fair question. I don't expect you to have an answer here, but like I have, they has anyone detailed what he did to suddenly lock in the zone.
Speaker 2: Not that I know of, I don't, and no one's last I looked, There's been no like mechanical changes, like he still throws the shat out of the wall.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Yeah, someone should, someone should look into that.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I was looking.
Speaker 1: I say, as someone who runs a website that could have people look into that.
Speaker 2: I was looking back at our old repoort thought. I mean, like, obviously he had that.
Speaker 1: Remind me to.
Speaker 2: Tell Mario there you go, like if you go back to like his jucode as when he was a draft box idea was fairly We talked about him a lot with scouts and stuff, and like the track man was incredible. Yeah, the data was, but he was throwing. He was sitting like ninety seven ninety eight. He was not sitting one oh two. Yeah, he's added velocity too and locked in the command and locked in the zone. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well that that reminds me a little bit of one of my favorite uh sim Miller articles, which I think he was just like on Deadline working out a preview of the Diamondbacks, but it was a he essentially made it all about Paul Goldschmidt and like and the ability to improve yourself and how like we tend to want to do these discrete improvements and then build on top of it. But it kind of they happen all at the same time. Sure, Like like men, a lot of times the approach is like I'm just going to do this and then I will do that, right, Like like I'm going to start exercising and then I'll work on eating or whatever. But like you just do it all at the same time, you know.
Speaker 2: And you also think of like increasing velocity and increasing command as being not diametrically in opposite restrections, right, like you have to sacrifice one for the other. Right, that's kind of like baseball, you know, received wisdom. I don't care how hard you throw ball for et cetera.
Speaker 1: But it is a little bit like swinging harder and striking out or whatever, right like but but mcalvarg yeah, yeah, it is at least holding it steady, right like, Yeah, I don't know, it's just it's one of my favorite articles. It is ultimately like a life article and not just a baseball article, which is great. But but yeah, I would also before we depart the subject, just tell people as well, we're on the subject of Milwaukee, Ben Lindberg wrote a deep dive into Milwaukee's uh hitting with runners and scoring position success over the last of seven years. It's on the ringer. It's it's worth a look. It doesn't really find answers. The Milwaukee coaches he talked to don't really have answers. I don't know. I don't know what to think about it.
Speaker 3: I have to them, well, yeah, he.
Speaker 1: Talks about that kind of an article. I don't know. I need to think more about about it. It's it's very yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, there was an article about the Blue Jays, I think like recently or maybe I just saw some.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they are struggling big time this year. The premise of the articles that the Milwaukee has done has outperformed the league average for seven straight seasons, and I think for six of them it's been by a massive margin. Last year actually was weirdly by like one and a half percent or whatever. It wasn't a huge margin. But every other year, including this year so far, it's been quite a bit, worth worth a read, worth a thing. I have to think more on it. Something I don't know that I've thought of out is our second segment segment here Marlins will soar. They are ten and two in their last twelve. It's not clear how they're doing that to me because they're still fourth in their division. Yeah, they are the suddenly like decent in at least they are. They are five hundred mm hmm. This this has pulled them to five hundred. Uh. They have Max s Meyer and Sandy l Contra and.
Speaker 2: Then Tyler Phillips is just starting for them now. Who Kyler Phillips is just starting for them now?
Speaker 1: I don't know Tyler Phillips.
Speaker 2: He was their closer last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, okay, but yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah it wasn't at Calvin Fouchet, Anthony Bender and someone else. Tyler Phillips. Yeah, it's not good that My head was immediately like, does he mean Tyler.
Speaker 2: Gilbert nor Connor Phillips.
Speaker 1: Jesus, we can't do like a Connor co. Yeah, and I can't. I can't do that again. They are in the wild card because they're five hundred. Yes, they're in the wildcard race. They are two games back of the San Diego Padres. They are three They've got three teams in between them. Sure, but but they're in the midst of it. I suppose, uh, yeah, I don't. It's good that we've picked subjects that we don't know how to talk about.
Speaker 2: Right, well, I guess like question good for a podcast. Our Contra has been better recently, do you like, do you still trade him? At the headline, Yeah, you literally don't have pictures at this point. Yeah, it's like the obvious guys to come in here. Thomas White and Robbie Snelling are both missing significant time. He has had some sort of UCL surgery I forget which one, and Sambiel Contra shoulder injury.
Speaker 1: Has thrown twenty two and in in his last three starts, he's gone eight, seven and seven. That in reverse order. He hasn't been great on the season, but that is certainly valuable. Do you trade him? If you're Peter Peter Bendix will trade it, and I think will show no zero compunction. I I think you know Patrick, you you wrote about this and we talked about it at the end of the podcast last year about the last week sorry excuse me about the Nationals, and like, oh, it kind of puts him in an odd position. Guess who's not ever in a NodD position? There is no, there.
Speaker 3: Is no upward pressure.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: He's they're paying him real money. At the end, at the these option years or whatever, the end of this contract, they will I do not think they will hesitate to trade him.
Speaker 3: No, no, I mean they'll just pitch Ryan Goosetel. They can't stop them from doing.
Speaker 2: As they put in the notes. The Rockies have defayed Valente, bring them home.
Speaker 3: Democracy doesn't work, guys. The Marlins will just do what they want and you can't stop them. Uh. Yeah, no, it does not apply. The Marlins exists uniquely out of time, and they happen to win sometimes, and they happen to lose sometimes, and and it's weird that they play other teams at all. It's weird that they even like they should just be playing split ships agains, their split squads against themselves.
Speaker 2: Pictures.
Speaker 1: We have we have learned what a gricillis is because of because of the Marlins this year. Do you think I've not I'm not sure. I'm sure this has come up. I'm not sure I can recall seeing someone on the on the aisle with shin inflammation before, but that is what has sidelined Jansen chunk I suspect they might trade him if he's able to come back from shin inflammation. I don't know how long it takes to heal from that. I didn't know your bones could get Usually it's not it's like a joint or.
Speaker 2: I mean there's like it's like it's just shinch punts.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe can you inflame a bone?
Speaker 3: I mean there's not even really any there's not much material in between the bone and the skin. Is there some like did.
Speaker 1: Matt Boyd's kids kick him in the shin or something like what? I don't know, Uh, yeah, I like you they have no I have not checked. I don't know what Braxton Garrett is doing. I don't know what Dax Fulton is doing. But those are guys on the on the forty man. Are they different? Those are different names.
Speaker 3: It feels like they both emerged like like a medical experiment to take Braxton Fulford. Yeah, split the.
Speaker 2: Off a transporter accident. We've created the two of pictures.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: Peter Bendix is a mora old alemma. Does he separate them? He created this new life. People will debate it for twenty five years on the internet afterwards.
Speaker 3: This is a metaphor for something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Liam Hicks just keeps doing it.
Speaker 3: Yes, he had a slump, but now he seems to be.
Speaker 2: The Auto Lopez is still leading the league in hitting the average.
Speaker 1: Lim Liam Hicks has a one thirty eight ops plus Auto Lopez is at one forty and Xavier Edwards is at one thirty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's those.
Speaker 2: Three guys that is about it, to be fair.
Speaker 1: But yeah, esty, Ruiz, he's.
Speaker 2: Not playing that much.
Speaker 1: He has thirty seven games. No, it's small sample.
Speaker 3: Sixty seven appearance is more than I thought seven.
Speaker 1: Plain appearances and by virtue of a five h nine slug.
Speaker 2: Yes, his obps under three hundred.
Speaker 1: Right, but he's hitting, which is not what you would expect that Ruiz and and his version of success. Yes, uh, that's it. That's the whole. That's like Griffin Conine had eleven games. That's so I'm not counting him, but like, that's it. They just added Austin Slater, which, as Jeff said back when the Mets did it, that's the kind of move you can make inside. Like that's I No, I guess I would say like that there are not really dead spots in the line like exactly is not good? No, he's up to an eighty one open.
Speaker 4: That's better, but it's not exactly.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's bad, right, I'm not like there's a lot of bad, but it's kind of generically Owen Casey, is that an eighty two ops?
Speaker 2: Not good for a corner outfielder?
Speaker 1: Not good? Is that eighty nine? Joe Max?
Speaker 2: It's actually fine for hobbyar So.
Speaker 1: It's fine well, but not great for third base.
Speaker 2: No, but he really shouldn't be there every day.
Speaker 1: There should No Kyle Hours is at ninety right, Like this is yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know it, and like a lot of those guys.
Speaker 1: That this is not a play. This is a team I think can just sell and wave the flag. And like again, they don't have the fan based pressure that anyone would care there is do you get a a? So my problem with this is like there's kind of a NAT's vibe to like, there's actually three good hitters here, and I don't know about the rest.
Speaker 2: They're good, none of them are James would right. And the other thing here is like I do think Bendix will just trade a contrac But a lot of the guys you've named he's the guy he's traded for, right, Marci and Casey.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I also don't. I mean, they're they're the other they're pre are like they're not sure down.
Speaker 2: Like I'm just going to ride that out there, saying like eventually he is going to need to acquire good players somehow if they're going to be able to or develop them, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, And the difference is like the Nationals, to be clear, have more hitters doing well than than this, but like also no one nearly as good as James would James Wood does.
Speaker 2: Don't have anyone as bad as not Ys but right.
Speaker 1: Right, no as a hitter, no, but yeah, I mean they literally have had not see New Years as an organization. Uh so, yeah, I don't. That's that's it on the Marlins. Do you have anything else you want to ask?
Speaker 2: I think the Nats are more likely to hang around this playoff race in the Marlins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too, absolutely.
Speaker 3: You know, Max Myer's been incredible and.
Speaker 2: He has been very good. Not gonna last, but he can't be.
Speaker 1: Well for him, he really looked it really looked like his best time as a major leaguer. It might have been right before they optioned him to save you know whatever, to save Innians and health, and then he got hurt. You know, he was bad and then got hurt and then was bad and yeah, exactly. Let's go to our third segment around well, you know what I'm gonna I'm gonna need to coffee. It's a lot. Yeah, I need a recal coffee too. Let's take a break. We'll be back with the rest of the show. Welcome back to episode five hundred and fifty four of five and Dive. And I am gonna say this. I've been meaning to say this literally every pod this month. And if people, if it hasn't occurred to people that my mind goes completely blank right as I start every single episode. Uh, this proves it, because it's been We're now halfway through the month. We're dead in the middle of June. We are in mid it is mid mid June, and I will finally say happy Pride to everybody. I legitimately before we did our first pod again exactly two weeks ago as June first, I thought I'm going to say that right off the top before banter and I've it's just my mind goes blank every single time But while we're on the subject of that, and we're going to go around the horn, some Giants players might not feel the same way.
Speaker 2: No, Craig, They're just definitely don't. They're just reclaiming the rainbow.
Speaker 1: And they're standing firm in those beliefs. And I would beg any reporter to say, you know, what are those beliefs? If you're standing firm in them, can you elucidate a little bit more?
Speaker 3: What what what is it you need? You may not agree with something, but what do you what is the thing you actually feel.
Speaker 2: Or the thing you don't agree with? Be clear about that.
Speaker 1: And again, if you're standing firm, please stand firm for firm. So the thing I want to say about this is number one. Grant Brisbee wrote about this look. It is not strictly a Giants issue. Alex call and Blake Trinan are among I think there might have been another Dodger player on their Pride Knight who did not wear the hat. Obviously, Clayton Kershaw wrote a Bible verse on his hat. It was not as big as some of the writing on some of the Giants hats recently. But again, this goes back a waves Jinny Searle wrote for US in twenty twenty two on the race players five raised players refused to wear the Pride night hats that the race did, and that article. She won a Saber Award for that article. And I was looking back at it to see, you know, I don't know just to feel bad about things and how little has changed, but I not only how little has changed, but how things have gone backwards in this time. Not the only thing in society that has gone backwards, to be clear, But there's a line in Jenny's article from twenty twenty two that says, like the Giants and Rays the team, this is about the Dodgers wore rainbow flag inspired caps in neither in neither other team's case did a player opt out. One wonders if players were given an option. So she's talking about dogs, the Dodgers in that case, and the Giants not opting out of wearing the Pride at and obviously last year it happened. This year, it happened for both of those teams. I mean, it's just, you know, for her to pick out those teams. Now, those teams have had long, longer running Pride events, I think than than many of the other ones. I saw something recently about like alternate you know, like like they had been exempted from having h they had to be exempted for an additional uniform change or whatever. But yeah, I would just say, go back and read Jinny's article, go back and read grants much more recent one. It was very well done. I you know, I don't know that it I guess it does need to be said. I find this pathetic in so many ways. I I guess the part I can't wrap my head around is even if you disagree, I disagree with a lot. You know, I disagree with with certain themed nights that that you know, I'll say, like the amount of military things, like I don't it makes me uncomfortable in some ways, but I don't. But I also understand, right, like I don't disagree with every military thing ever, but like the the the you know, it's like it could be sometimes a little bit much to me. Whatever. Also it's okay, it's a night, it's one night. Let other people have their thing.
Speaker 3: And imagine imagine defacing your hat on a military night, right, and imagine how that would happen.
Speaker 1: So, but they just announced, by the way that they're for July fourth, everyone's going to wear uniforms that have the American flag in.
Speaker 2: The Toronto is it?
Speaker 1: Seriously?
Speaker 2: I think they have hats that are But no, this was the thing.
Speaker 1: And to be clear, I'm not saying with military or the flag or whatever that there aren't things to honor. It makes me uncomfortable because of the other things that come with it. And and I guess in trying to post.
Speaker 2: This is your job to wear the hat like your job, this is your uniform for the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ultimately comes down to what you get to opt out of, Yes, whether you can knopt out of this and whether you can.
Speaker 1: Do you think a player can knopt out of I was I don't I was talking to someone else, So I'm not going to claim credit for this. I don't know that they want their name attached or not, so I'm not going to attach the name. But I want to be clear, I didn't come up with this. But do you think they could opt out of Jackie wearing forty two? On Jackie Robinson? They?
Speaker 2: I mean the leagu would immediately put a stop to that.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, And the league would do it then and wouldn't do it? Here is something but this is I mean you, asked Logan Web. Logan Web would say yes, because you know, there was an article yesterday I believe by John Shay talking about the Giants response to this, and then the team made a statement and said we also are So it says the San Francisco Giants are proud to support Pride Night and the LGBTQ plus community. Baseball should be a place where everyone feels welcome, respected, and value. We also respect that individuals may make personal choices about participating in team activities. Oh we understand that. Yeah, so everyone is allowed to opt out of everything is essentially what the San Francisco Giants are arguing. We understand that the choices by individual players have caused pain and anger to many in the LGBTQ community, and we are sorry for that. Those choices do not change our organization's commitment to inclusion, belongs and creating the environment for all, even though you've created this exact environment that we are in through your employees that you did not discipline. Logan Webb meanwhile says you can't force anybody. They're grown ups. They can make their own decisions. Asked if the actions of the pictures to divide the clubhouse. Web said no, no, no, there's a lot of guys in here with the personal eyes and beliefs. It's a big lead clubhouse. You got guys from different countries, difment areas. I grew up in a different place than say Landin that's a lot of guys. I have different feelings that will not divide the clubhouse at all. At the end of the day, I just want to win baseball games. So yes, you can go ahead. And you know, not Stan for the anthem, say right, that'll go over there? Just a lie according to the giants. Logically speaking, it is the exact same.
Speaker 1: Everybody has their own beliefs, and everyone is allowed to stay with all their own beliefs. So here's here's the thing, right, Well, and I guess, like I do believe people should be allowed to opt out of things. Yeah, but it's it's just inten what gets attention and how and how that attention tends to go and what gets set about the people who make you know, the people and the things that are opted out of. And you know, everyone gets to have their belief when they opt out of Pride Night. But if you know.
Speaker 2: When Carlos Delgatto wouldn't stand for the anthem when they were or.
Speaker 1: Why am I blanking on on his the catcher with the a's.
Speaker 3: Who Yeah yeah Maxwell was not a.
Speaker 1: Maxwell, thank you. I kept in my head. I kept thinking Max Mounsey and I was like, it's not Max Mony obviously, but like many of the any of the Max Monthies, Bruce Maxwell, right, Like, it didn't really people didn't really go well, you know, yeah, it's up. You know, everyone has their own feelings.
Speaker 2: I mean everything, everything about this is like the tweet you know, a witch belief, oh you know the one. It's all the oh, you know the ones like everybody knows what's happening here, but they're actually like honestly, like if you're gonna one of those was Sam Hankins came out and just said I don't believe in that.
Speaker 4: And it's like at.
Speaker 2: Least he said it right, like everyone else is being so medium mouthed about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 3: It's well, it's all it's all coats, right, it's always yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes and well and the thing is like, to to logan Web's point, like I I think I actually I understand what logan Web is saying, and I'm sure it does not divide the clubhouse. I'm sure it doesn't because I'm sure a lot of them don't want to say it but or or don't even want to not wear the hat or whatever.
Speaker 2: But yeah, are are are fine with them or perfectly.
Speaker 1: Fine with it or whatever. But I do think to logan Web's point, like you said, it's a job. Here's your uniform, Like logan webs there to win baseball games and maybe not be literal friends with everybody. Sure, you know we've all worked with assholes and it's like, well, I don't really like them, but like it's not going to change my work environment or whatever, right my ability to do my job.
Speaker 3: It is management's job to make sure one's doing their job.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, I'm with you on that, but I understand where logan Web is. Yeah, you can answer it.
Speaker 3: But if I were Logan I probably just wouldn't have talked about it.
Speaker 1: I think the questions need to not be like, yeah, that is a question that's trying to sidestep its way into the actual issue, and it really just the questions need And I'm not trying to criticize reporters who are doing who are doing their jobs too, but like it is, they're trying to imply something. It is it is kind of like, we all know what I'm asking with this question. No, just ask the question.
Speaker 2: We all know.
Speaker 1: This allows him to say, this allows him to say no, it doesn't disrupt the clubhouse. But but that is not saying, yeah, I still find this guy abhorrent. I can find him abhorrent and still like I'm on, I'm on the other side of the clubhouse, so I don't really care, right, Like that is that is something that these guys, some of these guys are doing right And.
Speaker 2: And look, the giants at any point in time would have just said wear the damn hats, like you're gonna wear the hats for one day? Yeah, and they chose not to. That's actually that.
Speaker 1: Is the part that that really I is. I mean, so it's hard to wrap my head around, except for I understand that there are people who have very different value systems than I do. Right, But the thing, I really I'm just like, it's one it's one game. Yeah, it's one game. Just suffer it. I guess if you have to, it wouldn't be suffering for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: But like for you.
Speaker 1: I guess it is. I just do it.
Speaker 2: There are actually, and like, there are absolutely people wearing these hats that don't agree with yeah, but they just wear the hats because it's not yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's meaningful to other people. And it doesn't actually, you know, it doesn't have to be an endorsement whatever. You know, just suffer through it. It's not the same thing at all. I just went to my kids kindergarten promotion thing that I don't think should exist. I don't think kindergarten promotion ceremonies that invite parents should look give everyone a certificate, God bless. I don't think it needs to happen. Okay, but I went and I clapped for everybody. They went down a slide. I don't know why. I also, this was our banter went long, but I was gonna say the the other we have two classes in the kindergarten, and the other teacher came out first and said her first words were, it's been a good year. It's been a long year. And I thought that second sentence seems to invalidate the first sentence. Yeah, but it's one. It's one, you know. It was one morning for me it's not that big a deal. Just it's meaningful to other people and they enjoyed it and that was nice, right, like, let you know, open your heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because what is that what your heart?
Speaker 1: Fix your heart exactly? That's I guess that's where I will leave it. We will go to our normal around the horn topics. I'm sorry, but I did like it. Just yeah, it's in injury news, the big one. Jose Ramirez has broken his hamdmate. He will be is it heymate?
Speaker 2: I no, I mean maybe whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's broken.
Speaker 2: A little bone.
Speaker 1: He's broken the hook shaped little bone in his hand. He will be out, what it's four to six weeks this week? Yeah, I saw I think it was Chris Towers, uh, someone noting there's been a lot of hammate haymate bone breaks this season and that doesn't even count Corbyn Carroll and for Cisco Lindor because I believe they made it back by opening day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it always feels like there's a lot of these.
Speaker 1: It's so right, But he checked the injury list, but I so I didn't. I wasn't gonna do the work. I'm gonna be honest, But I did have the thought that like there was a rash of these. I don't know. I want to say, I'm like twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, or what.
Speaker 2: We've also had more Gracillis injuries than ever before.
Speaker 3: Once we keep coming up with the words, so what does this mean for It's bad?
Speaker 1: But he also hasn't been the Jose Ramirez that Cleveland normally gets. So what does this mean for them?
Speaker 2: The White Sox said, will win this division?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I was gonna I was gonna say this. Look, they just took two or three from the Dodgers. They at least won one of the Atlanta games. I don't remember. I know they won one, I don't remember if they won more than that. I sent a text to James Vegan, White Sox speed reporter after this series, and I said, I understand this. I'm trying to be upfront about you know, I'm not I'm not trying to hide the ball. I suppose then I understand this is a little salty or or maybe even a little petty. But it felt to me that like White Sox fans are maybe getting a little over their skis, and like he said, can you blame them? And that's right? No, I can't blame them. They should they you they White Sox fans more than deserve this. This is a fun team.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: It is a good lineup good yeah, yeah, probably. I don't want to say team right, and I'm not trying to be petty with that, but it is a good lineup. It Also, it just feels like a little.
Speaker 2: It's a long season.
Speaker 1: It's a long season. At the same time, the Central is oh bad, Like, yeah, they might win the s they might win the Central and not be a good team. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't want.
Speaker 1: I don't want White Sox, right, I was gonna say, I don't want White Sex to feel bad about this. I feel like I say this about the Guardians every year. I'm saying it about the Rays constantly this year. Still I yeah, I don't know. But it felt like and and look at this is this is where I saw someone like it was a reposts so I don't even follow the person, but like it was like we are the gold because this was this was supposed to be, as James said to me, like this was supposed to be a stretch that sunk their season and it hasn't remote And so credit to them for that, right, But it's also gonna say, like we are the Gauntlet, and I want to just be like all right, all right, but at the same time, you have like let him go nuts, right, they should get to go nuts a little bit. Yeah, I think I'm wrong, but I still feel it a little. But I think I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: The Gauntlet of Anthony, k Eric Fetty and Brandon iserc.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also Anthony. He came up to ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was doing that, like he can do that, I guess occasionally, not.
Speaker 1: Apparently, And I just but I was like, wow, didn't didn't realize where I knew he was thrown, you know, yes, but I didn't know it was upper truly upper nineties, you know. So I guess our our thoughts on Jose Ramirez and and the Guardians are the White Sox might yeah.
Speaker 2: Well becoming that's I know, he hasn't been great, but they also don't have a replacement for him, so.
Speaker 1: He hasn't been great. But also like there's a number of above average hitters and they are just above average. Yeah yeah in this lineup, so like maybe it won't sink them. I don't know. I don't know. Uh. In other Central news, the Royals, Uh, Vinnie Passmentino also broke.
Speaker 2: His also broke hismate apparently.
Speaker 1: Oh I meant, okay, I didn't know that. Maybe there are a lot. Maybe there are a lot. Look, I don't want to sound is it is it just not gonna happen for Vinnie past Yeah? I mean, am I not all the underlying stuff? But this was like a bad year Anti Sart. He gets hurt a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, get hurt a little bit, and it felt it's never It's not like he misses a stretch.
Speaker 1: It's not like ten days he misses like but.
Speaker 2: And it's not like recurring or like stuff where it's like, oh he keeps having back issues. It's like it's something, it's a new thing.
Speaker 1: It will be the gricillas.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 1: And in other Royals news, Cole Reagan's is getting more testing on his arm. Is this the Garrett Crochet Yeah, he's already.
Speaker 2: Tommy John So I assume they want to avoid surgery, but they might not be able to avoid surgery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Patrick. They are a half game back of Detroit at this point. Spencer Strider, Yeah, this this seems bad.
Speaker 2: It's just inflammation. The rays want to be clear, it is only inflammation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, famous when you're sitting upper eighties, and it's because your elbow even in your decreased you know, your post injury velocity. Because he's he was still like ninety six, right he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was still getting it up there or ramping it up there. Yet it's not obviously we were.
Speaker 1: Upper eighties before getting I mean, yeah, it's hard to throw the you know, it's both hard to throw the ball really hard when you're hurt. And also Terrek Schoople I think was throwing ninety eight when his elbow locked up on him before his before his operation. Obviously different situations, but like man up eighties seems I understand it's just inflammation.
Speaker 2: But that's yes, it's well sometimes yeah, he's on the I with elbow inflammation, and as Patrick said, that never hides anything obvious terms of structural damage.
Speaker 1: Obviously outlast Garcia on the sixty day IL. He's done for the year, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, he could come back, but I would doubt that that will happen.
Speaker 1: That spurred I believe I saw from Bob Nightingale the Phillies are very interested in a corner outfielder names including Joe adel and Saya Suzuki.
Speaker 2: How did they think they're getting, say, I don't know, I don't know, like Joe Adell. Fine, like that makes perfect sense, but that is a team that's been saying that for years. Well yeah, we're saying the angel should trade him and the Philly should acquire him for several years now. But yeah, uh, i'll see they called up. We'll get to the college to call it Gabriel and Kanes, but he's more of a It sounds like it might be a Gabriel in Karne's Derek Hill platoon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 1: You said Derek Hill. Well, because you said, my brain glitched because you said Derek Hill. But I thought I was trying to think of Philly's minor leaguer slash occasional big leader Derek Hall.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Well they've play him in the outfield also.
Speaker 1: I know, but I was like, my brain just had had a moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay, I got to do something.
Speaker 2: They have to fill that position and they're not going to play out there, so.
Speaker 1: Good luck with that. Yeah, they need to acquite you know, it's too bad. The Marlins already picked up Austin Slater. I guess Evan Evan Carter has an Speaking of guys, I'm not sure it's just gonna happen for outfield. Vinnie pas Pentino, Evan Carter. He does have recurring back injuries, but this one is an oblique, and Chase Dollinder expected to have UCL surgery that is a summer.
Speaker 2: We can also add, as of this morning, Christian Scott has gone on the il with something. The Mets are terming minor. They won't say what, but they are terming it minor.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, in better pitcher news, I suppose, specifically, if you're a Tigers fan, Casey Miz and Terrek Scubel are back. Schooble averaged ninety six ninety seven in his return. I mean, I don't know, I don't know what to say about this. I this is like feels like the most successful surgery ever, and I know every surgery is a success, but like he's just back. He looked, his command was.
Speaker 2: Not he didn't pitch great, but like it wasn't there's no I don't think it was.
Speaker 1: But in urn the raw, Yeah, like returns like.
Speaker 2: He hasn't pitched for a month and he had one rehab start, so some rust is to be expected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like for him to come out and throw the stuff that he threw, even if it wasn't well placed, like that's in the amount of time, Like that's crazy to me. We'll see if I'm guessing Blake Snell isn't going to have the same speedy return.
Speaker 2: And God knows of his commands worst when he comes back.
Speaker 1: Who would know? Who would know? I didn't see my mies came back and then missed time again, and this is he's back a well, Detroit needs it, I don't. I mean what they're nine and a half back of the White Sox in the division. They are, Sorry, I'm trying to pull up the wild card. They're six and a half six.
Speaker 2: Pack wait term many obviously wrote about this for Friday, like what they might do with Trek School ones, Like they're just gonna trade tex School at this point. I think I do think they can. I don't think they can assuming he I mean they division lead later than this. Yes, there's slightly more teams I guess between them and.
Speaker 1: No, I meant the division, but sure, yeah, yeah, I don't know. I think you take it down to at least at least mid late July or yeah, I don't know, late mid July or early late July. One of those things in call ups, as you mentioned Gabriel Rinconez, I don't know, do you want to have a he's neat?
Speaker 2: I mean he kind of is outfield Derek Hall frankly so okay?
Speaker 1: Sure. The more notable one you also mentioned earlier, Cooper Pratt Sounds of Milwaukee, might just be moving on from Joe. Your tease was how you Luis rang one of the two.
Speaker 3: A little easier to move away from, even.
Speaker 2: Though right like like, I don't know how much third base Pratt has played in the Miners, but you can move more tease there too. If you want to play Pride at shortstop, I think they're gonna have to play one of them because Pratt can only play one or the other position. But he's a good defensive shortstop. Has never really developed as much power as you would think looking at him, and for a guy that has shown the ability to pull and left, he just doesn't do it. He also for a guy that six foot four, doesn't hit the ball as hard as you'd think, but in every other way he has a very Brewish player.
Speaker 1: And he's very easy to promote in the sense that they already locked him into that extension, So that's not a consideration, or if it's a consideration, it's already taken into account, yes, so to speak. Uh, this is a fun one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Dan Lspino of the Guardians called up he is a reliever.
Speaker 2: Yes, but.
Speaker 1: What missed three years?
Speaker 2: For like three weeks in May, he was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh right, yes, yeah, and then he missed three years and I think, like when I say missed three years, I think he might have thrown off a mound in a complex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had bury his shoulder injuries basically.
Speaker 1: And so he's back, he's did he pick Did you get to see if he pitched?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen if he's pitched yet now, yeah, but I mean the velocity has mostly come back.
Speaker 1: Just the fact that he's on them, I mean, like, good for him for being in the majors. That's that's awesome.
Speaker 2: It's extreme, like there is no such thing as a he has not pitched in the majors yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, hopefully I'm glad he's on the team. But let's get him into a game. Yeah, real quick, it's not let's not ghost.
Speaker 2: I mean he is. He is striking out fourteen per nine in triple A, also walking seven per nine.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure we need the uh, the Brewers pitching development and lastly, Sean Sullivan for the Rockies pitching prospect. I'll say what I said in our slack, but someone said highly touted? Was Shawn Sullivan? Highly touted?
Speaker 2: Maybe not even really for the Rockies.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Jeffrey, what Sean Sullivan?
Speaker 1: I mean, you're the prospect guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. He throws from a low slot at like eighty nine miles an hour. And then he had to make his first start in Vegas. It didn't go. It didn't go that badly, honestly.
Speaker 1: Three innings, two hits, two strikeouts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no runs, yeah.
Speaker 1: No runs, no walks. I mean, honestly, pretty solid. Is only three innings, but yeah, pretty solid? Uh? And then what would you like to say about the Scotland fans in Fenway?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: So, the Scottish national team had their first game against Haiti, and I guess I have to call it one. I'm sorry they call it Boston Stadium. I guess so they can't call it a Gillett Stadium because they have not paid FIFA. Yeah, they put they put black tape overall like the ketchup.
Speaker 1: They're not just call it Foxborough.
Speaker 4: No, they did.
Speaker 2: I did see they called it Jerry World last night instead of Dallas Stadium, which fair enough.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And since they're in town, they decided to all go in the game to the Red Sox Rangers game last night and basically brought the atmosphere with them. There were some John McGinn songs, There was some chanting. I don't I assume the tarps were off at some point. There may have been celts on tips off, but just you know, like it's it's just fun. It's like a nice little cultural exchange.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Before we move on, I just want to congratulate. It seems it seems wrong to go this whole show without congratulating the Colorado Rockies who won a game yesterday. They won a game by the score of what was the score, twenty three to nine nine. They were in yeah, Las Vegas to enjoy the atmosphere of non course, they won by fourteen runs, which is more than any victory as far back as I had time to go as soon as I started looking at it. Definitely this decade. They have not won a game by fourteen runs this decade. They certainly haven't done it on the road, which is particularly amusing. They have certainly never done it in a game in which Braxton Fulford was the DH. Braxton Fulford DH for a twenty three run lineup.
Speaker 2: Willie Castro hit two home runs, much to Craig's consternation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, only five walks.
Speaker 2: I was a little annoyed. The a Is brought in Carlos Cortes to be their position player pitching, and he is notably a switch thrower. But he only pitched left handed.
Speaker 1: Oh? Is that that's what?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I didn't realize he was a switch thrower.
Speaker 2: He's a switch thrower.
Speaker 1: I did see that. It was like, Carlos Scortez is pitching left handed, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Huh, yeah, because he came up as a second basement, so he has to throw right handed. What do you say in the endfield? I know he's played out field now for the A when he's not dhing, but yeah, but he is a switch thrower.
Speaker 3: I did enjoy the Tonyo Ki Sigano line. He won a seventy's seven to four. For those of you still kind of caring about winnings and losses. He got the victory with five innings and eight eurn runs allowed, two strikeounds.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to what to watch for a fourth segment. I'll kick us off. I think I took the only good one. I'm gonna be honest with you guys. Is not not a good set of matchups here, White Socks and Yankees, specifically the Tuesday matchup. You get Davis Martin ver Sucarett Cole Ace versus Ace. As I said, know again, I'm trying not to be uncharitable. The White Sox fun fun to watch. I watched Sam Antonacci absolutely destroy baseball. It was it was fantastic. I watched Chase made Roth and I'm I'm looking at you, Colin Whitchurch. I am not fixing my pronunciation on Chase Mayeroth coming at this.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: It is barely not It's not pronounced that way, just so you guys know, But I'm not fixing it. I watched him destroy one less exciting. I liked the Antonaci experience better.
Speaker 2: We got a Miguel Vargas revenge game.
Speaker 1: In there. Oh yeah, absolutely, I mean just I but I'm never gonna complain about that. Miguel Vargus A joy, A joy to watch, This is a this is a fun, fun team, fun lineup, and Davis Martin, I I enjoyed before the breakout, and so I'm very much enjoying the breakout and I hope he continues to do it against the Yankees. Plus you get Garrett Cole and the Yankees, So why not that's my what to watch? Patrick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did not get one of the good games there are.
Speaker 1: That's it. There are none, I know.
Speaker 3: So I decided, like, I'm enjoying the Sacramento things, so let's keep it going. I picked Pittsburgh and Sacramento. It's gonna be a dumb series. You got the first the first matchups pretty good. You You got Jared Jones versus j T J. That seems like pretty yeah, Okay, you know, I don't know how much I believe in JG. But you know, I don't know how much I believe in the health of Jared Jones, but you know, it'll be fun to find out. Then it's Mitch Keller versus Jack Perkins, who d a darling Jack Perkins, who was who was on the Seawan Newcomb like he was on the path towards Shawn Newcomb d R A minus like fun until he started starting, and now he doesn't seem to be as good as he might, just be a reliever. And then Braxton Ashcroft versus versus the man whose name I will not pronounce a starting picture for the athletics anyway, It's not gonna be a good series, but if you turn it on, something will almost certainly be happening, which I guess is what you have to take.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, who who am athletics?
Speaker 3: In the athletics? Why not pronounce?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Start a picture? Aaron Civilly? Okay, I'm just I'm just gonna make it a worse and worst pronunciation every single time. I'm gonna start using a hard see just yeah, it's gonna be ugly. Tell me, by the way, the first picture to win a game in which he gave up eight runs in seven years?
Speaker 1: Who was the last one?
Speaker 3: You want to guess?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna who is the.
Speaker 2: Isn't it? He's Athletics and Royals?
Speaker 1: Guy?
Speaker 3: Oh, you're thinking of you? Think of the Mazzaro? Think, yes, that's how I knew that right off? Mazzari. I think just lost games, which another Rocky. It is another Rocky. It's Antonio sends a time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Just check out if you.
Speaker 1: Go past that.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a fascinating group of players because then you get to Cliff Lee Jeremy.
Speaker 1: It's like a good starter with a bat has a guy. It's the guy who does like the Garrett Cole start where it's like you give up and then you just you're eating it.
Speaker 3: So you got Andy pet On there, you got Dan Harrigan, you got Woody Williams, Russe Ortiz.
Speaker 1: Forty Williams is like the platonic ideal to move this. Yeah, absolutely Williams. Yeah, Russell Tees too. Sure, ye all right, Jeffrey, you're what to watch.
Speaker 2: What I think is the only other game between two teams with winning records. It's a Padre and the Cardinals. I don't really believe in either of these teams, but somebody can win this series, and it's vaguely interesting.
Speaker 1: It is also like the Cardinals pitching staff versus the car The Padres lineup is.
Speaker 2: Like very coughing baby versus coughing baby.
Speaker 3: Say that and yet the Cardinal will absolutely win this series. The Cardinals win all these.
Speaker 2: Series, one of the twins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but which brings us to our game, which I do need. I'm sorry, You're right.
Speaker 4: I didn't. There's not a lot of good games.
Speaker 2: There's not a lot of clear cycos I don't want the Royals and the Nationals just because.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of clear It's like they've made the entire schedule.
Speaker 4: Out of sick I guess.
Speaker 2: But like this one, this one, Yeah, that's like the inter league matchup that shouldn't happen. Yea Vibes do Royals Nationals? Yeah, yeah, that is that is true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean no, it is not the only other one there was Guardians Brewers is another. Oh yeah, I don't want to both both over five hundreds. I thought you're gonna Rockies Cubs felt very.
Speaker 2: I thought about I did Rockies Cubs a week ago?
Speaker 3: The Rockies win that series?
Speaker 2: They did, and I said.
Speaker 1: And I said, if they did, the Cubs are in trouble and in a little bit of trouble, and to be despite what I said earlier about I think they can close it. I think they can, but I think they're in trouble. Yeah, yeah, it is a lot of a lot. A lot of these series are just being run back the Angels d backs, I think also Sticko's energies. And then I looked at this and thought, didn't the Orioles just play the Mariners? Yes, I think they did before they played the Padres. So this is like twice in three series.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They've screwed this schedule up so much. It's absolutely bathling. So that takes us to our game, not Patrick, but Jeffrey and I do need to preface this with noting to everyone that Jeffrey sent a message to our group chat over the weekend that was I just thought of a game. Craig is absolutely gonna hate it. Yeah, yeah, So that takes us to our game.
Speaker 2: It's called IMD MLB. I've been inspired by Patrick quatche going through the IMBD two hundred and fifty list or I guess five hundred list, but only the top two fifty two hundred.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not watching Cuchia Dogs till this.
Speaker 4: Is sort of like.
Speaker 2: This is kind of like a before and after where I'm going to give you a description of a player and a movie. Okay, and you have to put the player's name into the movie, your's name into the Yeah, so I will I will give you.
Speaker 1: Is there an example?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I want to think of one extra one.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to think of one extra one. I thought I should do an example.
Speaker 4: So we're just going to see how this goes.
Speaker 2: I'll start with an easy one.
Speaker 4: Okay, see how that goes?
Speaker 2: H and again just buzz in. Basically, yeah, A slugging star for the second incarnation of the Washington Senators and a classic classic merchant Ivory film. Sorry Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson, is get this repressed British people in love?
Speaker 1: This is an easy one. Congratulations to Patrick.
Speaker 3: The funny thing is, I'm blanking on the movie even though I.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not. I'm looking at the cover of the movie in my mind and I can't think of the name of the movie. I've read the book like three years ago. Uh do you know a Senator? So couldn't you repeat the first half?
Speaker 3: I remember now? The name of the.
Speaker 1: Movie was what was this?
Speaker 2: Plugging star for the second incarnation of the Washington Senators? And a classic Merchant Ivory film? Sorry Anthony Hopkins. And Emma Thompson as get this repressed British people in love?
Speaker 1: Is it? I assume it's like Frank Howard.
Speaker 2: Frank Howard's Frank Howard's end.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's Frank Coward's en.
Speaker 1: Yeah, congratulations. I will never I will not put these together. I was stuck on the remains. I've never heard of Howard's end?
Speaker 2: Have you never heard of end? All right? Anyway, what does botus plow?
Speaker 4: Three these?
Speaker 2: There's ten of them?
Speaker 4: So, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, Craig gets some culture.
Speaker 2: The Tigers nineteen eighties, Three True Outcomes, King and a Yorgos Lanthemos film with Colin Farrell and Barry Kyogan.
Speaker 3: Oh what was the second part?
Speaker 2: Amost film with Colin Barry?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't even know who that second actor is.
Speaker 4: You know everything.
Speaker 1: I know who the player, but I didn't know how to say his last name because you don't.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to get this one because I don't know the movie. I know the player, but I don't know do you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, what I helped you with Howard?
Speaker 3: It's I'm pretty certain it's it was it said middle Infield was right, Yeah, it's rock there so it's a dear something. But I don't know what the movie is.
Speaker 1: No, it wouldn't be that. No, I don't know. I don't movies. They all have the.
Speaker 2: Killing of a sacred rob deer.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, we are wow. This is wrough, this is wow. Not only.
Speaker 2: An outfielder best known for hitting four home runs in a game and the film that famously beat out Citizen Kane for the Academy Award, said Citizen Kane.
Speaker 1: I started talking before I heard Citizen Kane.
Speaker 3: Our Citizen Kane.
Speaker 1: Look a movie that famously beat out another one, Green Book, as we know about, Patrick feels about it. Se Sean Green Book is a very good whatever. I'm sitting on that anymore.
Speaker 3: I don't remember what movie bought the Citizen Kane. And then there's there's a bunch of guys who who hit four home runs, So I don't know that I'm giving.
Speaker 2: That's how Sean Green was my valley.
Speaker 3: Green was my valley.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, well I got Sean Green. I'm feeling, you know what, I'm gonna lose, but I'm gonna feel great about it.
Speaker 3: I want to feels insurmountable.
Speaker 2: At this point, An oft injured Cubs pitcher who finished fifth in the Cy Young Race in twenty twenty three, and a nineteen eighties weepy starring Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley McLain, and Daryl Hannah.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty three feels so long.
Speaker 3: Not the weepy. Oh Justin Steel Magnolias, justin.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what? Yeah good? I feel like I should have gotten Justin Steele at least, and I I do. I've know, I know Steel Magnolias.
Speaker 2: So the twenty twenty sixth San Francisco Giants home run Leader and Alexander Payines follow up to Elections, starring Jack Nicholson and Kathy Bates.
Speaker 3: Uh uh uh about clerk Schmidt.
Speaker 1: No, no, Clerk smit about Casey Schmidt.
Speaker 3: Clerk Schmidt the bard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Craig, that's correct.
Speaker 1: A rebound found its way to my feet and it bounced in off my phone. I did not even move.
Speaker 2: You like the Japanese player that scored the header off his head like that.
Speaker 1: That's correct. That's absolutely correct.
Speaker 2: A Diamondbacks All Star, mostly because Mike Farran dressed up to promote it, and the most recent film to win all Big Five.
Speaker 1: Oscars, Jake Silence of the Jake Lamb yep, wow, wow, yeah, thank you, thank you. Would I have known that without knowing it was Jake Lamb. Probably it was.
Speaker 2: Jake Lamb, a Yankees infielder who should really stop challenging balls and strikes? And a Bob Fosse musical that might be about Bob Fosse.
Speaker 1: Uh oh uh. I don't I don't know the movie is it? Is it? I don't know the movie side. I'll give Patrick a problem, Tim, but the jazz Chisholm singer, some jazz some it's probably some jazz.
Speaker 3: Is it the jazz singer, because that's better?
Speaker 1: Is the jazz singer? Or a movie? Is that?
Speaker 3: Is that? The name of the movie's all that jazzism.
Speaker 2: All that jazz chism.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: There's other movie.
Speaker 2: There's The Return, Thank you All Take It, A struggling Dodgers Reliever, and a Catherine Bigelow war film about a bomb disposal team in Iraq.
Speaker 3: The Kyle hurt Locker Locker nice.
Speaker 2: Commercially.
Speaker 1: The last one I was trying. I was trying. I was like, that was the easy one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The movie people have seen at two thousands Boston Red Sox prospects who never hit outside of Lancaster, and a two thousands indie film starring Brian Gosling and an unusual paramour.
Speaker 3: Uh that at my rank Gonsoling Philips honestly not usual. Yeah, I don't have this one. No, I don't think the only The only prospect I think is black Blake Swire, But I don't think it's that. No.
Speaker 1: Hell, what did is? Did the player make the majors? Was it just a prospect?
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't think. I don't think he made the majors.
Speaker 3: He definitely.
Speaker 1: I mean I probably know the player wouldn't say it, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: Gonna Lars Anderson and the real.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think he did.
Speaker 1: No, he definitely did. I think for two teams, even the Rays. He sounds No, he just the Red Sox and he only had fifty six played appearances. Yeah, his hat is with the Blue Jays, but so he obviously that's that's remembering some prospects. Well done on that.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what the score was he were keeping scoring? Right? JA?
Speaker 1: Is that it was that?
Speaker 3: The last one? Oh?
Speaker 1: Wow? Okay, well I'm happy with two that was some nineties Nicks. All right, congratulations Patrick, and thank you Jeff for the game. You know, like I was getting it in the sense that I'm ignorant and it made me look at my own ignorance.
Speaker 3: And it's and obviously not the kind of movies I watch generally.
Speaker 1: I don't, I don't watch. I don't hate the concept at all. Yeah no, but like I think I would play the game again. I would just be Yeah, I do. I do feel like it needs to be more in the vein of Kyle the Kyle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm too much more plead for this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the last walk for there you go?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. All right, Well, thank you for the game. Thank you to our listeners for tuning into another episode of five and Dive, brought to you by the Baseball Perspective podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball Perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for Baseball Perspectives Podcast Network and we'll be in that feed. And if you've been waiting for the to be over, your time is.
Speaker 6: I can't live at the vacancy waving over. I came my mom instill the fucking mother. How would can even answering
Speaker 3: Your go