Speaker 1: Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, I am delighted to welcome back to Nightside Boston City Council Ed Flynn, former President of the Boston City Council. He is very concerned about the I guess the renaissance, if you will. I hate to use that word, but I don't know what else to describe it. I don't want to say resurrection, but the return of Mass.
Speaker 3: And Cass ed. What is going on? Is that technically in your district or is it just outside of your district?
Speaker 4: Good evening, Dan to Anti directly, the Mass and Cass section is not technically in my district, but since the tents came down on Atkinson Street, the crowd has moved from that immediate area into the South End, into South Boston, into Dorchester and the surrounding area of Roxbury Nubian Square. So it is having a major impact on residents in my district, which is district too.
Speaker 2: So the specific area that we knew is Mass and Cass still remains on devoid of this drug activity. It's just relocated to nearby communities. Is that what's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah? The big the biggest crowd, especially on Saturdays and Sundays. You will see around ten o'clock in the morning, especially on Melnia Cass, maybe you'll see one hundred and fifty people openly using drugs, selling drugs and other criminal activity takes we're talking about.
Speaker 2: We're not talking about some people smoking, We're talking about hard drugs.
Speaker 4: That's correct. We're seeing people using using drugs. Needles are everywhere in and around the four neighborhoods I mentioned, and the area that I live near in Andrew Square is also heavily impacted by the Mass and Mass and Casts area. Actually, the closest MBT A stop to Mass and Casts really is Andrew Square on the Red line.
Speaker 2: So it seems to me that if they were able to clear out Mass and Cass, has I want to use the word metastasized, has this cancer that was in one portion, you know, on one area, it's now spreading.
Speaker 4: It is spreading, den the tense it down. But the problem exists, and in fact, I think the prop problem even got worse. We're allowing drug activity, drug dealing, drug trafficking, human trafficking to continue right in those immediate areas. I think that there needs to be a police presence, enforcement, zero tolerance, especially for people engaged in drug trafficking and human trafficking.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm looking at I'm looking at the pictures in at least in the Herald today. I don't know if the Globe is picked up on the story, but the Herald has a bias by Gala calling and you get people there who are literally it looks to me like either cooking something or shooting up. I kind of imagine living in a neighborhood where this sort of activity is allowed. Why why is the police department? And you're a pretty big supporter of police. I think you're not a critic of the police department, but why are the police allowing this to go on at ten o'clock in the morning on a Saturday morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dan, it's a good question, and you are exactly right. I am a big supporter of the police and our first responders. I think we have to have a zero tolerance policy for drug dealing activity in that area, in really throughout the city as well. We can no longer ignore what is taking place in our neighborhoods, and that is open drug dealing. In drug use as well, that's a little bit more controversial, but people that are using drugs openly in the city. They need a detox bed, they need medical care, they need a path to drug treatment. What they don't need is to be on the streets using drugs.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, Well, you know we've seen if you want to call this sort of a lais a fair attitude, which if the police department is not establishing a presence in that community to to make sure that that community does not become the new drug open open bazaar that Mass and Cass was for so many years. That's what happened in Portland, Oregon, That's what happened in San Francisco. And we know the stories of those cities. Are you getting any support from and I don't want to put you in the spot here about any support from the mayor's office. I mean, I'm assuming that the mayor who's coming up for reelection a year from now has to be aware of this. This is She's got a lot of hot issues on her plate, but this is one that that I think she should be addressing. What's what's what's going on with with the mayor's office and what's going on with your colleagues and the council.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to turn you into a para. I hear it all, but.
Speaker 4: Right right now? Well, well, the Mayor's office is aware of the situation. They are aware that this situation his decline significantly. I think they are trying to come up with a new plan for mass and cast. They realize that the current plan that they have is not working. It cannot continue. The human misery that we witness every day in and around that area cannot continue. And residents deserve better. Residents expect better. And another month, kids are going to be going to school in and around that area, and why should they have to be subjected to that environment when they're going to grade school or middle school, middle school or high school. It's not fair to them either.
Speaker 2: Dim The Herald article reports. It says the city appears to be receptive at the moment to another proposal from three other elected official state Representative John Morian, State Senator Liz Miranda, and city councilor John Fitzgerald, who seeking to implement an interim recovery campus and at the attics frequency frequent frequenting mass and casts. They did have a recovery campus out there, wasn't it the Round Hotel? If I recall what they called it, a low bar recovering.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Roundhouse Hotel. That was a facility that the city partnered I believe with the Pinestred in for housing. But the recovery campus would be similar to what we previously had at Long Long Island Hospital, and I was out there frequently as a probation officer. I was a probation officer for nine years and I supervised homeless people on probation. So I know that I know that area have very well, but I do have questions and concerns about a recovery campus. It doesn't appear to me that the city's in support of it or the States in support of it. But we don't have a location identified yet dan So if the.
Speaker 2: Bridge, everybody remembers there was a bridge out to that Long Island campus and that bridge doesn't exist anymore. And there's an ongoing fight between Boston and Quincy as to how to get you know, patients or support personnel out there.
Speaker 4: That's correct. It's still in the court system. I think Boston is winning some cases in court, but we're still probably four or five years away from opening Long Island and that's being that's being more positive. I think it's going to take a long time before we open Long Island, and I have a feeling that the infrastructure over at that location now is declining significantly, and we're going to need to spend millions and millions of dollars just to rebuild the entire campus over in Long Island.
Speaker 3: My guest is Boston City council Ed Flynn.
Speaker 2: We're talking about mass and cass which is now migrated, metastasized, whatever word you want, away from where it was, but into surrounding communities. I guess some could argue it's worse now in terms of surrounding communities than it was when it was confined to an area which was not especially known for single family homes or communities. So I'd love to hear from some of you who live in that neck of the woods, or any of you who are traveling in and out of Boston and have seen the resurgence of open drug use.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're not talking about a couple of.
Speaker 2: Kids smoking a joint, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 5: We're talking about heroin, fentanyl, injection drugs, needles on the ground which which kids going back to school can step on.
Speaker 2: And it just seems that that no matter what has been done. The problem hasn't been solved, and arguably it's gotten Morris. One member of the City Council who has been first and foremost, in my mind.
Speaker 3: A leader on this issue, is with us. Ed Flynn. Feel free to call.
Speaker 2: Make suggestions, ask questions six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty will also get on, get you on as well. We'll be back on Night's side with more conversation with City Councilor Ed Flynn and hopefully questions and comments and suggestions from my audience.
Speaker 3: How do we solve this? How do we make sure that mass and.
Speaker 2: Casts doesn't become a bigger problem and that Boston starts down a path that places like Portland, Oregon, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington have come to know rude to regret it. Back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Joining me is Boston City Council Ed Flynn, and we're talking. And again, if you don't live in Boston, maybe it doesn't affect you, but anything that impacts the hub of New England affects all of us. And we thought at least the problem of mass and casts had disappeared from the headlines, and now it's back. If you read the article by Gayla Cawley and the Boston Herald today. I don't know that the Globe has been on this story, Ed, but they certainly should be. There's this is nothing but the worst humanity that you could possibly imagine. You have to feel sorry for these people, and if getting him into a treatment center can help them, it's got to be done. But it just seems that this it seems that this problem just won't just won't go away. Let me let me get some calls in for you, Ed, and see if there are people who have suggestions or recommendations here.
Speaker 3: So let me go to Brian. I was calling in from Hyde Park. Brian, I appreciate you taking the time. You were next on nights Side with city councilor flame. Go ahead, Brian.
Speaker 6: Hei Dani Hawaiia. It's been a while, Ed, Kools to you. I appreciate everything they're doing. I was your neighbor. I grew up on these State Street right behind your house.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's good to hear with me, Brian.
Speaker 6: So anyway, I'm a retired press responder for the city. I spoke to Dain before in Long Island Hospital, and just from my interaction with on a daily basis. When the homeless program came out, I got on in eighty eight and I just kind of watched it happen. But Long Island worked. It worked. You can't walk in and walk out of the island. Off the island. The programs actually worked for eyewitness and you didn't have a massive cast. As soon as that bridge went down, it became Boston's problem. But people need to recognize that it's a regional problem. People come here because of the benefits and what the treatments are. They're nowhere else, and people have to start recognizing that at the state in several levels, that this is all in a Boston problem. But unfortunately, I mean the property values of all dropped in the South End Andrew Square is I don't recognize it anymore. I drove through there the other day and it's all he wasn't the best spot, but you could wait for the bus and not worry about it, you know, being confronted. It's a shame, and I think this administration has dropped the ball. I don't think she really has a clue what's going on. I don't mean that in a bad way, but it's it's it's just it's just ignore it and we'll go away. And that's not happening. I mean, there's been several status in England Square in the past month. I think there's been three stabbings. It's absurd and it's not fair at the community, the people that live there, uh, the everyday citizens and there's still multiple elderly and it's just it's it's just spreading. It's it's it's gonna be inn upon corner. It's going to be an idiot but square and it's just moving. And there's more that there's more.
Speaker 2: Right, What would you want to see the city or the mayor's office specifically you do, Uh.
Speaker 6: I'd like to see them appropriate money the way it should be appropriated. You can't keep throwing money at this problem. But you can't throw eight million dollars on bus routes for free for three years when three or four bus routes in the city, that's a that's a waste of money. Uh. I think we all I think personally, I think we have enough boats in this in this harbor, in this community in the East Coast that we can get like they've done before. It is ferry people out there. But that that build, that complex, that campus is a beautiful complex. It's it's a beautiful place, it really is. It's a it's a jewel like all the Harbor islands are. But that's falling apart, and they have to send people over there just to make sure the generators are going to the heat still onto the pipes. Don't for you, It's just it's just a waste of money what we're doing now. I mean, pay for the pay for the boats.
Speaker 2: So so you're saying, you're saying people wouldn't volunteer the boats, but they would they already pay for it.
Speaker 6: You paid for it before. Yeah, I mean when they have when they opened the camp in the summertime. Yeah, I know, you know that's as tropic venture with Jack corn all that. But that we have, we have the boats, we have the ferries, and.
Speaker 3: I guess you also, and I want to get in on this too.
Speaker 2: If you did that and someone was to volunteer their boat, I assume you'd have to have a police officer in every boat to make sure that the attics didn't try to commandeer the boat or am I talking?
Speaker 6: Crazyl is one thing? But you know what the tea busses did every afternoon over at Nason Cass They had fifteen or twenty buses go in there and they'd all go out to the island and they would I check into their residents that they get it better the night, they get a shower, they get a mail, and it was treatments, and you can stay there for days on the day program, you know, thirty days. At the time I witnessed this, it Long Island worked.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me.
Speaker 2: Get I want to get Ed's reaction to your suggestions, because I love the suggestions and I love the specificity of the suggestions.
Speaker 3: Ed. What's your reaction with Brian's.
Speaker 4: Saying, I agree with Brian. I spent a lot of time on Long Island as a probation officer, and Brian's exactly right. Long Island did work. They had a detox program over there, they had residential housing over there, they had a Pine Street in presence over there. They had a women's facility over there, they had job training, they had a lot of a lot of good stuff over there. And when the bridge came down, all of all of the people, all of the residents moved to the Mass and Cast area. And then I think Brian is right. People come to Boston literally throughout throughout the country, especially New England when they have a substance use issue because they know Boston in Massachusetts are compassionate and that you will get services, you will get housing, you will get medical care and food in shelter. But Dan, I just think the city in state just can't afford that any longer. It's very expensive, and Boston is a generous city, but at some point we have to say we can't accept everybody coming to Boston. We're beyond that point. We can't do it any longer. We have a crisis in my opinion, at Mass and Casts, and Brian is right. Andrew Square, where I live, not too far from that area, is declining. Nubian Square especially is seeing a lot of the homeless living in and around Nubian Square area throughout the South End. The area in Dorchester across from Victoria Diner as well. That's also significantly impacted at Whatever Square as well. Up in Dorchester. The kids can't use the parks, they're afraid of needles. You can't play baseball, you can't play football.
Speaker 2: There's a park over there called Clifford Park, right, I think that's been really impacted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's right across from Victoria Dina and the city is going to invest money into the park, but right now the kids can't play sports there because it's it's a lot of homeless openly using using drugs in the park.
Speaker 6: Bok We Park also which is used by on a weekly basis.
Speaker 2: All right, well, look Brian, you you you have some experience with it. You made some specific recommendations. Want to hear what other people have to say on it. And thanks so much for listening to night Side. And we should become a more frequent call because you actually gave some ideas.
Speaker 6: It's been a few it's been a few few months, but I'll be back.
Speaker 4: Thanks Brian, and thanks Brian, thank you for calling.
Speaker 3: Thanks for your service.
Speaker 2: Take a quick break et get more phone calls here, folks. If you'd like to join the conversation, if you have an idea, six one seve ten thirty, there's one line there and I got a couple of lines at six one seven nine three one ten thirty. I'd love to hear from you as to what the city can do. This problem has not gone away. Maybe it was out of sight for a while, but it has not gone away, and it has to be addressed, and it has to be addressed effectively, and by ignoring it that is not a solution. We'll be back with Boston City councilor Ed Flynn and more phone calls right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, my guest is Ed Flynn, Boston City Council. We're talking about the re emergence in a slightly different location of the group of people who had befuddled the city for years with open air drug bizarre market bizarre I guess would be one or a buzzar at Mass and Cass and now it's moved. I love to hear from you, particularly if you're living in Boston. We sparked. We spoke with Brian from Hyde Park. If you're impacted by this, your voice needs to be heard. And if you're happy with what's been going on down there, don't bother to call in, however, or if you are happy, you call in. If you're unhappy, love to hear from you. Let me go first outside of Boston to Mike and Beverly. Mike next on nice side with Boston's City council ed Flynn, right head, Mike, Hey, can you hear me?
Speaker 3: We can hear you. Just fine, go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Hey, So, as a person in long term recovery, I'll be seventeen year clean and SEPTEMBA congratulation situation I knew was does not go away like that. Then you know it needs treatment, further treatment. It does not work right just running a machine and like file on people over Those are my people's bathers, sisters, cousins down there, and I know it. You know, you guys don't understand how hot it is to stay clean. It's very difficult not to use a day at a time, and you know it's Shaff's comans don't only want to pay for a seven day spend dry and there's no treatment, they say for a smoke and crack and cocaine, And unfortunately that's what a lot of us going down down there, and the heroin and that sort of stuff. I understand that, but you know the way they're going about it is like they're spending all that money being illegals, not helping the people had there today. That's about that kissed me off that they knew what was gonna come back around and it doesn't just go away like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's let's get let's get a quick comment that Dan. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, first of all, congratulations. In seventeen years, I've had friends of mine who have been in your situation, people who I know and respect and.
Speaker 3: Who I love.
Speaker 2: Uh And I can't tell you how happy I am that people like you can beat this, get this monkey off your back. We're spending a billion dollars a year on folks who are coming into Massachusetts because of our right the shelter law, and billion this year, billion next year. I think that Mike is correct that there's going to have to be some funding here to help some of these people get clean and stay clean. What what's your reaction to what Mike had to say?
Speaker 4: Well, I wanted to say first congratulations to Mike on his sobriety, but I also wanted I also wanted to highlight that, you know, Dan, I was a probation officer for nine years and my number one job really was trying to get people on probation into drug treatment that we're using. And many times I'd bring them to the judge or to the clerk magistrate, and I'd be lucky enough if I could get them into a drug treatment program. To be honest with you, most of the time the detalks that'd be clean and sober for a period of time, and most of the time unfortunately relapsed. But I never gave up on them. But after a period of time, eventually a few of them got clean and sober. It's perseverance and it's supporting people that have substance use issues. But leaving someone on Melania cass for seven hours on a Saturday or a Sunday throughout the week also using drugs, is not the answer. They need to be in detox, they need to be in a recovery program, a path to recovery, and people that are preying on them drug dealers, they need to be arrested and prosecuted and do mandatory prison time. In my opinion, the inhumanity that is taking place down there. I usually go buy there every other day. It can't continue. And if people drive by there and see what I see almost every other day, they would have to agree with me. It just the status quo is no longer an answer, and we need to acknowledge that our plan has failed and we need to try again.
Speaker 7: Oh, it definitely is definitely is the only one to get the phone goal. I do a hot line and I'm the when to get the phone call time, and you get a small window of opportunity to get so many detoks, very small, and it's how they get a bed. You know, they close Boston Cab right there, right there, in a heartbeat of it, they closed a couple of years ago. Like why you know why they close that place? Why can't we fund that place and get that back open again.
Speaker 4: Well, I think I think the detox are critical for people that are using drugs. I think they need to be in detox. I don't think you can stop using drugs on your own, in my, in my, but having people out there is not the answer. I receive calls from mothers mostly and fathers asking me getting how can they get their child literally off of mass and casts into a detox program. And some of the answer really is that they need to be sectioned by the court. Yeah, section thirty five, And that means that they're not willing to go on their own. They're not capable, in my opinion, of making sound judgment to go into a detox program. It takes a loved one, it takes a family, It takes a caring judge to get someone into detox, to make a hard decision and send not sentenced, but send that person to dtalks, even if they don't want to go. That's how That's what a parent would want to see. They'd rather see their kid in detox in a facility that I'm massive casts.
Speaker 7: Oh and then so living also further also and six nine a yeah, away from that situation. Build the foundations. How do you build a house? He built it from the ground up concrete. A strong foundation makes a strong house. That's how you build it up.
Speaker 2: All right, sir, appreciate it very much. My congratulations on your recovery. Got to keep rolling here. Yeah, sure, good night. I am going to go to Bruce and Howell. Bruce, you were next on Nightside with Boston City Council with Ed Flynn.
Speaker 8: Go ahead, Bruce, Dan, thanks for taking my call and welcome City councilor Flynn. How are you tonight.
Speaker 4: It's good to be with you, Bruce, Thank you for calling in Yes, I.
Speaker 8: Had several comments. I'd like to make them in questions and then at the end I'll hang on to hear what you have to say. Unfortunately, the first responder phone call I think he was two callers earlier, took the wind out of my sale. The whole thing really comes down to money and how much you want to you know, I mean, right now, everything is thrown at the wall. See if it's sticks. And in my opinion, as a suggestion, I'm an outsider by the way, I live in Hull. I've been on the South Shore since nineteen sixty nine, so i was a youngster just out of the military, and I'm not a city dweller. Quinsy to me is huge, and so I don't understand all the makings. But I look at and I say to myself, Gee, if we're having a border problem, let's make this a United States problem. Bring in the federal government for the money that we need. Just like the southern Mexican border states, perhaps get funds from the government to help control well, they have an old border patrol. Another idea is a homeless tax. We have a tax for a meal, use clothing. Well, no, you don't pay tax on clothing to you in Connecticut.
Speaker 4: That is.
Speaker 8: So there's a couple of ideas. And I ask any homeless person. I've never been homeless. I've had a brother that I think was for a period of time. But ask any one of them, and I mean no disrespect to anybody, what they think of the Rose Kennedy Memorial Park and the money it costs to build something like that. And I understand cities have to have that kind of public infrastructure until you come up with the funds to defeat. Much like your other two callers, the man in recovery, Wow, incredible seventeen years, never had the issues. I'm all done talking, Dan, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Well, appreciate it. Hold on for a second and any reaction to what Bruce from Hull had.
Speaker 4: To say and suggests, Yeah, Bruce, that was a good call, Dan. Bruce made some good points there. One the way I wanted to respond to it is the homeless the people I should say on Mass and Casts. Then they're not homeless. They have apartments, they're living in various locations across Boston in Greater Boston, and they actually come to Mass and Casts to use drugs. They have places they have places to live. I think about eighty percent of the people on Melnia Cass, you that you will say driving by, most of them have a place to live. I confirm this with city city officials. It's a place, it's a comfortable place to use, sell, and do drugs on Melania Cass and the impacted neighborhoods. And that's not fair to the residents in the impacted neighborhoods have little kids that are going to sport, going to camp, they're going to school. Why should they have to go buy that area. It's unsafe, it's filled with needles. I've seen a lot of rats around that area recently as well. It's a public health crisis and it's a public safety crisis. It can't continue, and we can't pretend that it's not a problem. There has to be a law enforcement strategy, and I think Bruce is right. I think it's the city, state and federal government that needs to get involved cracking down on drug trafficking, human trafficking. But I also have said many times that it's also about getting people access to a drug treatment program. But residents don't deserve to live in a neighborhood where their sidewalks are filled with people using drugs, and needles are everywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Bruce mentioned the idea of federal involvement. I assume, Bruce, that every city in America, every major city, is dealing with something like masson casts. Maybe not as intense as masson casts. But I don't see how Boston is going to get any specific treatment, no matter who's in Congress, that's going to be any more than New York or Chicago, or Los Angeles or Portland, Seattle will get.
Speaker 3: That's I think Boston has got to do it on his own sadly.
Speaker 8: Actually, Counselor Flynn took me by surprise, and I listen to your station almost exclusively day and night in my radio in my vehicle. You're welcome, and I think the city councilor hit it on the head. You know, involvement at the federal level is needed, and maybe more so in Boston because we have an open state border. However, you took me by surprise, and it's either shame on me or the shame on the news broadcasting industry. I always thought these were homeless people, and they were homeless because they were on drugs. I never really realized, nor did it cross my mind. But remember I'm not a city boy that these are. They're congregating there to use drugs. It's like a drug den house. He didn't never realize that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 8: You.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the the people on.
Speaker 8: When they discussed excuse me, counselor when they and I won't say anything further, when they discuss those issues on the news, they should preface. I've never heard it or anyone say that these are not homeless people. These are drug users who are trying to deal with folks. I don't think the public is really aware of that.
Speaker 4: No, the public is not focused on that, and it's it's a it's an issue that you know, the public really needs to get involved. And I receive calls almost every day from residents of the South End, Roxbury, Dorchester, and South Boston about how bad the situation is. Let me let me just give you one example, Bruce and Dan, we know cities like San Francisco or Seattle, some of the West Coast cities, but do you know that San Francisco now is almost telling anyone that's that receives any type of assistance from from the government, such as housing that you almost have to be drug free and you'll be drug tested before you get any services. That's how set up the residents of the most liberal cities are on the West Coast. They just can't sustain that any longer. Yeah, at some point that's something we should consider. If you are receiving a lot of assistance from the federal government, from the state government, from the city government, should you be drug free? And that's that's that's a question that we should we should debate because the status quo can't continue any longer, no.
Speaker 3: Doubt about that.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you call, Bruce, great suggestions, good conversation.
Speaker 3: Thanks again, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: We take quick break back with a couple more calls from my guest, Boston City Councilor Ed Flynn talking about the problems at Mass and Casts which has now migrated into some other surrounding communities. And the problem has only in effect metastasized out of Mass and Cass. It wasn't cured, uh, it is only spread. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Li from the Window World night Sight Studios on WBZ News.
Speaker 2: Radio, joining us at Flint Boston City Councilor. Edward tied on time, so I'm going to try to get three callers in here within about five minutes.
Speaker 3: That started off with and Medford. Dot, you were next on night side.
Speaker 9: You right ahead, Hi, Hi Dan, and Hi ed Edd. You are a wonderful person. You're a kind person. And I mean, I've been through this with my oldest son and I I just admire the man who's been cleaned for seventeen years. It's just wonderful. But my son was actually out in Long Island years ago, and then he was at the VA.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: I mean, it's just endless. But like you say, they do have homes, they have mothers who will always take them in, but then they go off again. You know, it's a dreadful situation. But we have to concentrate on getting drugs out of Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Good luck with that.
Speaker 2: I know it's going to take a lot of concentration.
Speaker 9: In a word, DoD Ed you are a wonderful man, and I just wish you could be the mayor of Boston or the governor of the state because you would do a wonderful job.
Speaker 4: Thank you Dot for the kind words, and.
Speaker 9: I would back you one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I dot, I appreciate the call. You know, his dad of course was mayor, so got some pretty good bloodlines.
Speaker 8: Here, I know. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 9: Doesn't take care ed and keep up the good work.
Speaker 4: Thank you daughter. It's good to hear from you tonight.
Speaker 3: Good night.
Speaker 2: Let me go Christine and dad and Christine next on nights side, little tight on time.
Speaker 3: Thanks for calling Inger right.
Speaker 10: Here, Christine, Hi, Dan, I was thinking to myself, what about like the Sinai Hospital in Stolton. Couldn't they clean that up in the mayor that's close now, like to like open it and like put them up. And they've got to put him somewhere like the prisons of MCI Theater in Walpole or the other one they were not conquered.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh, that's going to be money money, money ed Flynn. What do you think of Christine's ideas well?
Speaker 4: Well, thank you Christine for calling. I do think the number one priority is getting people into detox programs. I think that's a critical critical part of it. And then and then on a path to recovery in a residential structured program. We need more housing, especially transitional housing for people that are in recovery and that's something I support, that's something I worked on my entire life. But I do think besides the medical and getting people in detals, I think we do have to be have a zero tolerance policy for people that are trafficking drugs, human trafficking as well, and we're seeing that throughout the streets of Boston today.
Speaker 2: Exactly great, great suggestions, Christine. Who knows maybe that will spark a thought in the in the office of the mayor or someone. And it's all money, but boy, I tell you, it's if there's if there's a role for government, it's right. This is this is they're failing right now. You got to turn it around.
Speaker 10: Thanks Christine, thank you, thank you so much, saying hello to your parents.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Christine. Good to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Thanks. Let me let's wrap it up this hour with Ed Flynn, Harry and Wilbur and Harry. We got a little more than a minute for you. Go right ahead. What's your comment to question?
Speaker 11: All right, I'll be quick. Although I live in movement, I'm in Boston seven days a week, Dan and and couns Bill Flynn, and we really see the quality of life in Boston just deteriorating. And I think it all comes down to the Mayor's office. Mass and casts, mopeds and scooters driving all the way downtown. Nothing seems to happen Boston Common. I'm a tour guide. I see criminal activity going on all the time. And what she does is she wants to raise business taxes, which will drive business away. And you need a strong business community to pay for all these programs.
Speaker 3: And and build more bike lanes.
Speaker 11: Here's about his bike lanes. My daughter is out in Seattle. I went out there. I was disgusting. It's horrible. I'm very fearful this is what's going to happen here. I would love Council of Flat to run for me. He's got to. It's so important. And because he's right on all these issues and she's so wrong on all these And that's all I have to say.
Speaker 2: But all right, Harry, we're not going to get Flinn on that tonight.
Speaker 3: But he's got some Thanks Harry.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, thank you, Harry. It's good to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Ed Flynn.
Speaker 2: How can folks get in touch with you if they want to make some suggestions? Uh, what's your email at city Home?
Speaker 4: Yeah? That's great, Dan, If anyone wants to reach me. My email addresses ED dot Flynn at Boston dot CoV, ED dot Flynn at Boston dot gov. Also on social media, Ed for Boston. You can drop me a note I'll get back to If you email me, I'll get back to you right away and I'll respond. But I don't say I have all the answers. Residents sometimes have excellent answers, and I'd love to hear from you and see how we can improve things. But the answers are not with government. The answers with the residents of the city, no.
Speaker 2: Doubt, no doubt, and maybe maybe we'll get some answers in the not do this in future.
Speaker 3: Ed Flynn, thanks so much. It was a great hour of radio.
Speaker 2: We'll probably use this on our program Best of Nightside on Sunday Night. That's what I will be advocating for, so you might hear this program repeated on Sunday night. There were some really interesting calls in great conversation.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Again for me say how do you folks as well?
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you, Dan thought welcome.
Speaker 2: When we come back right after the eleven I would like to talk about President Biden's suggestion of I don't know. Eviscerating the US Supreme Court, a radical revamping of the US Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: It's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: It's just political drum Peat will be back on nightside after the eleventh