Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Ella here, and after two year break, we are about to start covering all the new gravity Falls stuff that has come out, starting with coverage of the Gravity Falls vinyl soundtrack, and fittingly enough, today we're also dropping a soundtrack for this very podcast. It's called Mystery Shacks Soundtrack, and it features just about every song and song cover we featured on the show. Here you can download it for as little as free, and it's at ellachzrii dot bancamp dot com. Link in the description that's e L l A C E s a ri i dot bandcamp dot com. And if you stick around after the credits and plugs toward the end of this episode, you'll hear a brand new song cover from yours truly and new Patreon shout outs done by none other than Matt Chapman, the voice of Mermando on Gravity Falls, as well as a bunch of other gravity Falls characters, writer on Gravity Falls, and the co creator of Home Star Runner. So, without further Ado, let's get into it. Take me back to the place sign know with the Mystery Shack and the forest gnomes. I'm already back, so come on, let's go. Don't get me started my heart's in Gravity Falls.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Mystery Shack, look Back, a nostalgic time capsule and no spoiler record. Club of the original Gravity Falls Fandom. We are your curators.
Speaker 1: I'm Spanky, I'm the Sprits.
Speaker 3: And I'm your littlest brother thirty under thirty Media. I Lluminary Martin.
Speaker 2: Is that we haven't done one of these in a while.
Speaker 1: I feel like we I think I think we messed that up a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think that's correct.
Speaker 1: You sure, Shelby, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Ella, do you think that's right?
Speaker 2: And I'm Charlie. I missed you, guys, we missed you too.
Speaker 1: By My aim is getting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. No. I constantly think, boy, I don't miss producing a weekly podcast, but I miss recording a weekly podcast with my best friends.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you can pretend that we've been doing this every week before this.
Speaker 2: Guys missed a lot of episodes.
Speaker 1: Man, last week's was crazy.
Speaker 2: Last week's was nuts. We had god on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. We had actually every god from every religion on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Big Big Get, Big Get. So when we finished this podcast two years ago, the gravity Falls Fandom was done. They stopped doing that. Yeah, and it has been back in a big way lately. I think someone who can remember who said this might be the most popular it's ever been on Twitter or x.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know if that's is that is that true?
Speaker 2: It might be because think about it this way, there were people who were eight and didn't have social media when they became a fan of the show, who are twenty now.
Speaker 3: Wild, absolutely insane.
Speaker 1: No, see that doesn't know, that's not I don't believe that.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, you can bring it up with the person who posted that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know what. You know what I'd like to I'd like to see them face to face, really really give a piece of why I and in.
Speaker 2: This corner that GF fan from YouTube and Twitter.
Speaker 1: Oh oh now, come on, come on now, come on now, Oh come on, you don't want to fight me. Oh come on now, I was just joking out around. Come on.
Speaker 4: Apology accepted.
Speaker 2: So you only first watched Gravity Falls in twenty seventeen, that's correct, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Pretty much. I guess like the best way to describe my entire journey with Grardy Falls was I heard about the show originally in twenty twelve, saw the shorts in twenty fourteen and then found the show in twenty seventeen while going through a bit of our rough patch, so now here I am.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So the shorts were the first thing that you saw?
Speaker 2: Yeah, was there anything particularly that drew you to this show specifically? I don't need to talk about the rough patch, but like, what was like, I'll finally check out this thing I've seen shorts of.
Speaker 4: Well, basically what happened was I saw a video by Sabersparkan in the that YouTuber. He made a video called Cartoons and Conclusions what Gararity Falls did right, and you basically just explained like how the Grady Falls finale is a good example of how.
Speaker 2: So so you got the whole thing spoiled for you up front, So if only you had some kind of no spoiler book club.
Speaker 1: But I think that it speaks to the appeal. You knew that you were getting into something that had a trajectory and you weren't gonna just sort of wind up high and dry at the end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like that's pretty much what happened. Like I saw I saw that video and I was intrigued by what he's talked about. Like so positively for Graty Falls, and I was like, this is a show I remember being like advertised a lot on like Disney XD and stuff. So I was like, let me give it a watch. And well, yeah, it only took like nine or so episodes and I completely fell in love.
Speaker 2: With the show.
Speaker 1: But since then, yeah, since you've discovered the show, you got sort of a Gravity Falls fan base empire. You vote for yourself as that GF fan. Can we talk? Can we can? I ask about the name? I mean, why not? Why not this GF fan or the GF fan. I mean, I mean, it's very humble of you to be. Oh, I'm just I'm simply that GF fan.
Speaker 4: The funny thing is, I actually don't remember what the actual origin of the name is. Like, I just remember I was on Grady Falls and you know at the time, and my name on there was just HK. Grawdy Falls Fan. Because I have absolutely no creativity in my in myself all the funny stories, speaking of the dad GFN name, I wasn't the first one that came up with it. Basically what happened was when I was making my Tumbler account in twenty nineteen, I found out that someone had already used the dad gfn username on there, and when I clicked on the main account for like the original person, like their main account, it was a once slar fan page.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, oh my gosh, amazing. Hell yeah, that feels right.
Speaker 2: Biggering and biggering, baby.
Speaker 1: You have to fight to the death to take the mantle.
Speaker 4: I tried to see if they were active to see if I can get the username, but they've been in active since like twenty thirteen, So.
Speaker 2: So you just have to take over their mantle and do some Ononcesler content if you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, how much Wensler content have you posted?
Speaker 4: Exactly zero?
Speaker 2: So if you do it only once, that makes you sort of a once.
Speaker 1: So yeah, since then, I mean, you've got certainly one of the most like extensive libraries of gravity Falls videos out on your YouTube, covering a lot of you know, niche stuff that people like us and people like the people who listen to this podcast would appreciate.
Speaker 2: When we did the Cipher Hunt podcast, I was like, ooh, I need help getting the word out about this one, because the gravity Falls fandom is going to be interested.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, while we were editing it before it was finished. I sent the Bradley clip to HK that's what we're gonna call you for short over here and said like, hey, can you make a video version of this but not post it until the podcast goes out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was really have to do.
Speaker 2: We are cited all over the gravity Falls wiki for that Bradley stuff.
Speaker 4: Now, baby, you can thank me for that. I added that on the wikenday citations.
Speaker 2: I love the part of the video where there's the picture of Alex looking sleepy at his phone when we're like, you have to meet me up the twind find the Wall.
Speaker 1: You recently famous did a whole interview with Alex Hirsch as well with one Hannah hyperfixation.
Speaker 2: We may meet soon, we may not. Who's to say.
Speaker 1: It might be a secret great video. We'll be sure to link that as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I want to get out right out of the gate. We're not talking about Book of Bill today. That's next episode because we never covered the gravity Falls soundtrack release because it came out after we finished Mystery Shack look Back. It is the first bit of gravity Falls lore released after our podcast initially wrapped.
Speaker 1: Well, law is generous, but yeah.
Speaker 2: There's some stuff here and there. There's some secrets.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: As we were researching it, you just kept coming up as a valuable resource in our research, and we thought, Hey, if we bring this guy on, we get to be lazier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, make me do all the heavy lifting.
Speaker 2: You already did it though, you've already researched that out of this.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well you've already done the heavy lifting. We're just asking you to recount the time you lift a heavy thing. You're like, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: This couch all Off did once. Let me tell you, yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have to help.
Speaker 2: So what what show me? What is the Gravity Falls Vinyl Soundtrack?
Speaker 3: Well, I would say the Gravity Falls Vinyl Soundtrack is a vinyl soundtrack album for Gravity Falls, produced by I AM eight Bit Records and the Walt Disney Records. Brad Breek himself is the one that hinted at its production in summer of twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: So you just alerted us to this a couple of minutes ago. HK. He had a how I made the gravity Falls theme song video, which has since deleted.
Speaker 4: It's still there if you know where to look, and he.
Speaker 2: Left comments saying there will be a Gravity falls ost on vinyl soon. I'm not sure if they're releasing it on iTunes that he said, I think only vinyl and maybe digital. And I am amazed he was allowed to say all these things.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I know right. And I gotta give a huge things as well for that to the folks on Maya disc or server, the datchaf and discord server. They were the ones who originally let me know about this because we were all talking about that video on my server and one of them, I think it was my friend Emma, Like, she messaged me andw She was like, Hey, check out what Brad Brieed talked about in the comments on the video, and that was where we all started discussing it and stuff.
Speaker 2: The soundtrack was officially announced on Twitter by Alex Hirsch on November twenty seventh, twenty twenty. When were these comments on this video from that you can parse together?
Speaker 4: I checked my discourse server before we started this and I checked then the messages were from like the comments that related to the screenshots were September twenty twenty, so it was a couple of I think like days or weeks after the original video came out, because if I remember correctly, the video came out in August twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Interesting, I know that I could tell this. Probably no actual intention of referring to that here, but it is funny that that information got sort of leaked out, and then Alex tweets in November twenty twenty starts the tweet with don't tell anyone. Gravity Falls is teemed with I have eight bit and Gravity Falls composer Brad Brigg to create a mysterious I'm wiggling my fingers to indicate the sparkle emojis. Well, I felt it mysterious vinyl record with memories and secrets from the Falls pre order. Now, if you.
Speaker 2: Dare now wave a bush to kind of create the pine tree emoji.
Speaker 1: Muscle sun effects, and then the link would send you to the pre order page with an image that looked a lot like the thumbnails that we would make for this very podcast, where they would they were teasing the fact that they would have actual cover art soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just a screenshot of them using the vinyl record in.
Speaker 1: A screenshot of them putting the needle on the CD when they're both on a different standard. Both staring at it like dumbfound it.
Speaker 2: I love that, but it never gets old.
Speaker 3: It's such a good bit.
Speaker 2: That's such a Matt moment, Matt Chatman, that is. But yeah, Brad Breek is the boser of Gravity Falls who put this all together. It's a very fascinating arrangement of soundtrack songs. Yeah, Brad Brieck, let's just say before we get into the soundtrack proper is amazing.
Speaker 3: Absolutely incredible composer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think we should talk generally about the music of the show since we've talked about it in spurts when it's come up in the individual episodes, but I feel like we've never really been able to give it its proper due to really just say, talk about that element of the show. And I think this is obviously the perfect opportunity to do so.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I personally feel like music is something that can really shift the tone and the emotion of a scene absolutely, and he nails it every time.
Speaker 1: I mean, especially in animation, because before we could record our voices and sing it to a cartoon, all we had was music. That was the driving audio of all animation for the first few years decades of its inception.
Speaker 2: He does a secret commentary on Not what He Seems on the DVD Slash Blu Ray, and in that he says.
Speaker 6: I'm a terrible guitarist, by the way, but I'm also a terrible pianist. I'm a terrible musician in general. But I feel like maybe the reason I get hired to do this kind of stuff is I don't know, maybe I have okay ideas.
Speaker 2: I don't know about not being good at guitar. There's some pretty licks, like when Barmando comes up and everything like that.
Speaker 3: He also mentions that he's good at composition, at like the electronic composition of the pieces, which I think is incredibly accurate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, the computer, I guess is my instrument. I'm able to put things together in the computer and make up so.
Speaker 3: Quick because both in this show and in his later work like in The Owl House We Bear Bears, he uses a lot of composition of songs electronically to create those like incredible unique moods.
Speaker 2: Personally, when I picture gravity, if someone says this sounds like gravity falls music, what I'm imagining is mostly synthesized with a real acoustic guitar.
Speaker 3: Right, I'll say that, like on the piano and guitar front, they are simplistic plays of them. So he finds ways to play to his strengths on the guitar and the piano, so like, you don't have to be super duper skilled to still give us an incredible performance, and he does what he does best.
Speaker 1: I think the visual form as well, Like, it's not always demanding complex orchestration. Obviously, when that he's asked for by the story, he delivers that, but more often than not, especially with Gravity Falls, it's fairly light stuff, right, you know. I can see how when you're so close to your own work, you know, you get in your own head about it. I certainly understand the mindset, but from an outsider's perspective, it's that guy's cake is better than mine. Holy two cakes.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When we did the Gravity Falls Lost Legends comic dub Brad had put all of the Gravity Falls soundtrack on his SoundCloud, so we use existing Gravity Falls tracks. I would finish editing the comic dub for the day, I'd be like, I'm taking a break and I would send Ello what I had edited and be like, see if you can find a track that fits this. So that was kind of a very collaborative aspect of that video, and it definitely got me to understand how gravity falls music works better than I did, because there's a lot of really tiny, like incidental music things, right. Yeah, bring to mind the very animation driven music of like Looney Tunes. Yeah, because like if someone smiles, you might just hear a happy little chord play real quick.
Speaker 3: Which I know he said that those little tiny bits are the hardest thing to compose.
Speaker 6: I feel like almost the shorter of the cue, the harder it can be sometimes just because it's easy to make a short cue just sound cheesy and weak. I don't know why, but I feel like, for me at least, it's easier to make something sounds big and epic and intense than to do something that sounds fun but still cool in some way.
Speaker 1: You know. I think something that something like The Fairly Odd Parents does this incessantly to the point where you can't not notice.
Speaker 2: Do you know how Fairly Odd Parents music gets composed? Apparently but Elmer hart Apparently Elmer Butch Hartman sends himself humming all of the music. You would sing to me what you were hearing, I would sing, I know, and typically.
Speaker 8: What you learn in film school and what you just kind of gained by osmosis living in the music community is you take your notepad with you and you start writing what the producer would.
Speaker 2: Like to see.
Speaker 8: And I start, I, you know, started writing, and then I found there was some things I couldn't write because you would just keep singing and wah wa wah whah. So I would actually write wah wah. And then eventually on episode five and six, I started actually writing the notes that you were singing, like transcribing.
Speaker 2: Well really, I would go like.
Speaker 3: That is how mel Brooks me made the producers the music claw.
Speaker 2: Well Brooks became a composer. But well Brooks did not write scores that way because that would be insane.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you know that is that is pretty insane.
Speaker 2: And that's why it sounds like that, because it's a guy supposing what music might sound.
Speaker 3: Right. Oh boy, Elmer, Elmer, Elmer.
Speaker 1: Real time fand of musician.
Speaker 2: If he didn't suck, I would ask him to do music for this episode.
Speaker 1: Back in our episode, on the episode The Love God with Mike Randa, we got the tidbit that Mike was the one who suggested Brad Brick. You uh brought Brad Brick onto Gravity Folds.
Speaker 9: It seems yeah, I I you know, that was sort of like one of the many things that I would do, is like and I realized, like when I was working on a movie, how much you need this person just like a little psycho too, because like we we had a really hard time figuring out the theme song, and there were so many theme songs that were like friendly Kids in a crazy Town, you know, like that had horrific lyrics. And one of the people who turned in music was Brad Breek, and I was like, oh, I love this guy who's in this band the may.
Speaker 2: She that I really love.
Speaker 9: And one of the theme songs he turned in ended up being this like Mabel Fantasy theme that we used a bunch of times throughout the course of the show.
Speaker 2: As when you're talking about I think.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, it's like blow blow, It's like it's like I'm not exactly out.
Speaker 2: Wow, why did you even meet Brad Freaking I thought the whole soundtrack yourself.
Speaker 9: And then on his website we found the song that sounded like pretty wonderful, and I was like, man, this could just be the theme song. It was like, it was very obvious that he.
Speaker 1: Was the guy.
Speaker 2: That name caught him because he recognized him from his experimental punk band, The may She. Rihanna actually loves The may She so much that that is the trailer music for Mitchell's versus The Machines.
Speaker 3: Let me introduce myself.
Speaker 5: I'm Katie.
Speaker 3: I'm sort of weird.
Speaker 2: Noow, my parents haven't figured me out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to be fair, it took me a while to figure myself out. My brother also weird.
Speaker 2: Hi, would you like to talk to me about dinosaurs?
Speaker 1: No? Okay, thank you, and.
Speaker 3: My mom please, all of us really.
Speaker 9: How don't we put our phones down and we can make ten seconds of unobstructed family hot contact starting now.
Speaker 2: That's Lamb and the Lion from their third album. I listen to all three other albums. They're weird. But someone here has a music degree, so I said, Shelby, I need your help.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. Charlie was like describing and playing little bits of I think terror Bird first for me, and I was like, oh yeah, no, this is this is some music kid nonsense, Like this is music school nonsense. It's it's interesting because like to me, The may She does sound like if sex ma Bomb from Scott Pilgrim met in music school instead of in high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great exploration.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first album is very sound oriented, Like there are a lot of very short clips, Like the very first song on the album is literally twenty five seconds of just what sounds like a heartbeat, like a loud heartbeat.
Speaker 2: The way I hear it because that's the track titled Terror Bird, So I see that as a drum trying to create the sound of a bird flapping its wings.
Speaker 3: The sound to me sounds like the sound machines that people would build that we learn about in music school to emulate like the sounds of the city. So it's just something that people would pump or like turn and it would sound like New York City sounds.
Speaker 2: Their first album, Terror Bird, is too experimental for me with the there's one track there that I really got into. There's a song that has the chorus we learned by repetition. At one point they start like belting a little bit, like doing a little riff on it, like wait, learn, but then cut back to the earlier footage of them saying repetition, wil bye.
Speaker 3: Bye bye. There's a couple of songs that are are pretty good on that. It's just it is almost forty songs in the album, which is a lot, but they're like a lot of them are very short, and they're very music school. E. They are very music school ye. And I will say, like it feels like an experimentation in sound, not necessarily an experimentation in music, because there's a lot of times where they'll be singing and it goes into yelling with song behind it, and then they take the song away and it's just yelling. So it's like it's a really interesting experimentation.
Speaker 1: I listened to the third album and I think, Yeah, my takeaway is that, like, oh, this is great. I don't know if I want to listen to it, but it's good music.
Speaker 3: The third album, Yeah, the third album is really good.
Speaker 2: Third album is music which is a new step for the Well.
Speaker 3: I'll say the third album sounds more mainstream, but they also have more members by that point. Yeah, the third album is really fun, but it is much more mainstream. It's less experimental.
Speaker 1: They keep that vibe. I would say, I don't think they lose it at all.
Speaker 2: I not completely.
Speaker 3: No, No, they don't lose the experimental vibe of it. It's still I actually enjoyed all three of them, but the first one. If you have auditory processing issues, the first album is a very difficult listen.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they he met the other the first two members of the Mayshi when he was studying at the California Institute of the Arts.
Speaker 1: We must have brought up that school a one hundred and thirteen times. I see what you did there, clever.
Speaker 2: And so you said, you definitely could see how the Mayshi. An experience on that led to how the music and Gravity Falls works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because listening, especially listening back through the Falls album and listening to his later works, specifically in Owl House, there's a lot of experimentation that he's not afraid to play with and getting the sounds for the music. Like we'll get into it a little bit later, but he does use a fair amount of like backwards music, turning the sound backwards to create new and interesting sounds. So I think that working on something where the majority of it is experimenting with the sound and the way sound works is something that did suit him well in creating new forms of sound for this show.
Speaker 1: And again it fits the form of the storytelling because I think a background and experimental music. He's so helpful for shows like this, Gravity Falls and The Owl House about weirdness and about being an outcast and about paranormal which is demon's all that, all that sort of stuff. Oh yeah, But even then you have the more kind of down to earth shows like We Bear Bears, which he brings this like poppy, you know, synth driven kind of sensibility toward that also works really well.
Speaker 4: One thing I also want to add about, like the music with Gravity Falls, is like there's this very nostalgic feeling to it as well in some like aspects of his life. One good example for me, like one that I really love is like at the start of Carpet Dim when we see different Mabel playing you know, addic stuff minigolf and the music that's playing in the background, it invokes a lot of like nostalgic like childhood memories and stuff that I think it's because of what Alex Hirst said in his like farewell tumblr post about Grati Falls when it was ending about how like the fact that childhood ends is what makes us so special a new character while a last That's always been one of my factors of like why I love Gardy Falls so much is because of that nostalgic and childhood memory type aspect to it, and the music captures that so well.
Speaker 1: I would wager that that so. In the Not What He Seems commentary, Rick talked about I.
Speaker 6: Feel like Alex really had a rare, you know, quote unquote kids show where the emotions of the characters were really taken seriously. And I feel like most of the notes that I was given from Alex throughout the series were with that in mind. I feel like he rarely gave me notes based on like, oh it doesn't sound e bic enough, it doesn't sound cool enough, or it doesn't sound it was almost always about you know, this isn't quite the right emotion for the scene.
Speaker 1: I would bet strongly that that sense of nostalgia was was a big thing that Alex pushed for, specifically since it was all coming from his childhood experiences.
Speaker 3: It does make sense, yeah, because this is a love note to his childhood.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Something I always notice Ian shows is sort of you know, motifs and instrumentation, which there's a YouTube channel called sideways that talks about how Steven Universe does this really strong the composers av and Shiashu do a really good job assigning instruments to the characters, which in itself is a very like Peter and the Wolf thing right by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh for sure. Let me think about that, where you would.
Speaker 1: Have each instrument represent the character and the emotions of the characters feeling like.
Speaker 2: A big fat guy sounds like a two guy.
Speaker 1: And specifically for Steven Universe, in the case of you know, the characters can fuse and create new characters, and those fusions are the instruments brought together. Yeah, and Rick does a bit of that in Gravity Falls. It's definitely less specific to every character. In Gravity Falls, like with Steven Universe, every character has an assigned instrument. It is very consistent, and I think in here it is more about subjects and settings and feelings, kind of like what we were talking about with what Hersch kind of emphasizes in the Not What He Seems commentary. He describes them as palettes of instruments and chords.
Speaker 6: So Mabel kind of had a palette which was like what kind of eighties pop There's a palette that we established, like, there are a few, like specifically Gravity Falls sounds that I would rely on like, there's kind of this whispery ethereal synth sound that I would layer in a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, Gideon of course gets creepy broken music box tones. He has I think a very specific theme too that comes up. McGucket will get banjo, whether that's kind of a worn down, sad banjo of course, a more like action driven banjo, like the fight scene in I Guess Society The Blind Eye has a lot of that, And then a lot of gobble Wonker has banjo infused, which is an interesting kind of musical foreshadow of a fact that McGucket is behind the gobble Wonker the whole time. In that episode, Bill Seipher gets a lot of wonky synths, a lot of like and a lot of specifically backwards played stuff, right I think. And then there's a rising Shepherd, Yes, the rising Shepherd tone, which Bill has stated is his favorite music. I believe he said that in the and there's the there's this thing that's it's it's not arpeggio, but it's sort of a it's like whenever he's sort of summoned or brought about anytime we go to the portal, the basement lab under the mystery Shack. We get this huge, bombastic orchestration that intentionally sounds very industrial and very not like anything else we hear in the show, which I think is why stuff like the end of Gideon Rises and the climax of not be Seen feels so jarring and big, is because they are specifically saved for this, for these these moments, lots of horns, lots of strings, lots of classical film score stuff that you don't get in other episodic climaxes, and the emotional kind of more relationship driven moments, they will usually get a quieter acoustic guitar kind of thing, to the point where I almost I had like a running joke with myself. I don't know if I ever said this in the podcast, but similar to the the stock phrase of like ah, the setting, like it felt like in season one, there starts to be this pattern of like there, the characters sit down, they just I guess it's just that, well, this is my emotional thing, and then like the acoustic guitar go play very like full house.
Speaker 3: Like classic sit calm sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's it works, though I don't I.
Speaker 2: Don't become incredibly predictable when you notice it. So if you guys, go and rewatch theson one when an emotional moment about to happen, see if you can count in his acoustic guitar. I never wanted to move out and what was all this?
Speaker 1: Two three four?
Speaker 2: Everything was fine until you started bringing your friends around every night, I mean, hanging out with you. This summer has been fun.
Speaker 1: And in the commentary, Brick also said there are.
Speaker 6: A couple of chords like this augmented chord that I would use a lot.
Speaker 1: That's all over the show. So now now you can't unhear it.
Speaker 2: It is unheard.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and that's just the ray that kind of goes into your ears.
Speaker 4: Society of the Blind ear.
Speaker 1: Death death fear.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, no, it is a bar.
Speaker 1: So HK. This is where your expertise will majorly help us, because we're going to start to go through the complicated history of this thing's released, this vinyl soundtrack, information getting to the public or lack thereof, and getting retracted and re unretracted and stuff like that, just to.
Speaker 2: Establish how in saying this gets Our podcast started recording after the vinyl was announced, and then we completely wrapped up before it was released.
Speaker 1: Right, and it was this perpetually soon to be released things. We kept saying like, oh yeah, well, we'll do this after the other episodes because then it'll be out, and then it it never came out.
Speaker 2: Well, by the time it came out, we were doing garden Wall recall and it was just like it.
Speaker 1: Was also that was getting shipped in stages.
Speaker 2: And and this year it is now finally on Spotify, so we're like, this is the time to talk about it because now we can actually like link it to people.
Speaker 1: But take us back to May twenty twenty one, when the first kind of big development happened. Yeah, sure, Well essentially by that point, like the vinyl, we were still in that waiting game, like seeing once it's going to release, and like they hadn't yet announced the art of the vinyl or anything else about it.
Speaker 4: They were just saying that it's gonna come soon. It's going to come soon, just pre order and stuff. But basically what happened was in May twenty one, someone on my server. I don't know if it started on my server, but it was where I heard it first. They made us aware that the full version of Disco Girl was leaked online that.
Speaker 1: Is the song that Dipper sings in the episode Dipper Versus Manliness by the Icelandic pop sensation Bablo.
Speaker 2: Dipper and the Multi Bear sing Let's do what Ever?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's more of a stept up tech since he's got like six heads.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can self harmonize.
Speaker 4: But basically what happened was the source it came from, Believe it or not, a Fortnite mystery arg of some sort, much like the message that Palpatine sent to the Galaxy that we hear about in the Rise of Skywalker that is critical to the plot. This was only accessible through Fortnite.
Speaker 2: Well, this was a Fortnite leaks account, but yeah, no, if you pay attention to Fortnite, you're basically going to be clear on what is happening next.
Speaker 4: In all mean, yeah, apparently, basically it was like a discord server and someone who was good with data mining found the website that it was hosted on, and the website was known as Dipper's Secret Shame dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the redditor called Dusky xlops says, I brought this to attention into discord server trying to crack a Fortnite mystery. I changed the subject by bringing up gravity Falls, which led to a very intelligent data minor going onto the website and cracking the code, so basically it caused this to surface.
Speaker 4: Accidentally, the website was password protected, so the password eventually was found to be Mason Pines and without a space on it, so when you input a data in it, it'll take you to a page where it has like the cassette wit of Disco Girl recorded on it, and if you press play on the bottom, it lets you listen to the full version of Disco Girl.
Speaker 2: Not only opens with Matt Chapman doing the worst Icelandic accent ever recorded.
Speaker 10: Ladies and Gentlemen Nama What super group all.
Speaker 2: Time, but also has Jason Ridder finally reprising the role of Dipper, singing along.
Speaker 11: The scene.
Speaker 2: Who She people say, you're to Falky Queen, It's me.
Speaker 1: We get an intro with Dipper in the shower singing his own theme song.
Speaker 2: Dipper, He's the mystery song. The ghost for him does want to be him. Girls are warming out to.
Speaker 1: Him generally, which is something we knew that he did, but we never heard that's true from the I think was Alexadam My favorite lyric is girls.
Speaker 2: Are warming up to him.
Speaker 3: It's a good line.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He realizes that no one nobody's around, so he decides to play the classics.
Speaker 2: Well, if no one's around, I might listen to the classics.
Speaker 1: And then, of course at the end of the recording, uh, Stan walks in interrupting.
Speaker 2: In the middle of the recording, and Dipper pauses it, and then the song continues.
Speaker 1: Well, the dialogue of that snippet is identical to the one in Dipper Versus Manliness, to that flashback, so we can assume that this is that moment just captured on tape.
Speaker 2: Incident missing scene thick, as Mary McKeon would call it. Don't don't come in. I wasn't interrupting anything, was I? No, no, no, I. I had a thing that I heard sounded like the entire seventies.
Speaker 4: What's happening in here?
Speaker 2: Well, it was a ghost. You heard a ghost. I heard a ghost singing top forty hits. Yeah, yeah, it must be a ghost from that era, because who else would sing a song from then.
Speaker 1: And there's this awkward resolution to the conversation where Stan just sees himself out of the room.
Speaker 2: Well, you're a child wearing a towel so I'll leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's not that hard. People can we talk about how I don't know when else this would ever come up as far as Gravity Falls fans typing something into a website. I can't imagine when that would come up again. But figuring out Mason fines as the past where it is so like, I don't know, that's I find that very impressive that we can just kind.
Speaker 2: Of they literally must have been everyone trying everything until someone had written in Mason Pyre right right, yeah. And this is like we talked about this with the Cipher Hunt, that the opening clue to the Cipher Hunt was on the bus in the last scene of Gravity Falls in a Visionaire key that we did not have the code to yet and they brute forced it, which we tried doing a Visionaire key the regular way live on the podcast back, same episode as we had Rihanda on Love God's Heart. Is that easy? No, the normal when you have the code, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can. Basically you can have a Rubik's cube with as many squares as you want, mix it all up as algorithmically impossibly as you want, throw it to the Gravity Falls fandom and say go and you'll have it in about like five seconds, just with how many people there are. And then for real teamwork of it all, and and but especially the fact that this wasn't meant to be Yeah, exactly well, that we weren't apparently we're not meant to even know about this in the first place. It's that much more impressive.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the weird thing is that I am made but didn't copyright strike anything about it, Like they didn't go at anybody who posted it, Like I never got a DMCA from them, being like, take this down immediately because I posted it to my channel, and I think the Mystery of GF also posted it to his channel right right, right right, but like the day after it was posted, like we woke up to find the website I've been completely purged and it was just a white page with a clock on it being like this, it's down and something is gonna come up soon and it's never happened.
Speaker 2: Just a small pile of rocks with the one word unless I'm bringing the oncelor back into your breath.
Speaker 1: But thank you, thank gotting for that url toddler user giving back to me.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to this, we gotta do a special Wancelar episode.
Speaker 4: No, there's no way, they like that's probably in his like twenties an now at this point, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean it's possible.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that guy eventually disco Like Alex tweeted out Disco Girls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was on the ten year anniversary of the show. Like, he tweeted out Disco Girl for like the ten year celebrations because like there was nothing else to do besides like the S and P emails.
Speaker 1: So we also released the recording of We'll Meet Again that's featured on the vinyl, which we'll talk about when we get to the actual soundtrack.
Speaker 2: It's so funny to me because for the you know, I was busy researching the entire rest of Gravity Falls during this time for some podcast they did who can remember, So I wasn't following this too closely. But it was very strange that all I knew about the vinyl soundtrack was that it had the full version of Disco Girl on it, and then the one thing I knew about it turned out to not be true kind of like broke my brain for a Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's right, because it was listed on the tracks as well. It was Disco girl, And then after this happened, it was gone no more disco Curry.
Speaker 4: I don't think it was even because of this, but like they quietly removed it off the actual website listing as well. Like no one found out about this until it came out.
Speaker 3: It was a little too close to the real song.
Speaker 1: I assume that's our.
Speaker 2: Guess is that it plays it a little little fast loose with the abba pastage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, The Mystery of GEF tweeted about it. He didn't specify what the reason was, but he just said it was like a license issue with a copyright holder or something.
Speaker 2: I have to imagine it was like, hey, this is not a parody, this is our song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, and the lyrics are very cutting.
Speaker 13: She's not sass, four thousand miles discos of musical.
Speaker 5: Sound dis.
Speaker 2: Sod true.
Speaker 14: That girl is.
Speaker 13: Starting down.
Speaker 7: That girl.
Speaker 13: My convision applications.
Speaker 7: That girl is.
Speaker 12: A right.
Speaker 2: I better uh better hide this tape. Mabel can never know.
Speaker 1: So that history kind of intertwines with the overall history of Gravity Falls music publication, like with Brad Brieck's SoundCloud. Because on March twenty eighth and twenty ninth, twenty fifteen, Brad Brieck himself uploaded three volumes of music excerpts from gravity Fall season one to his SoundCloud, and you might recall that this is where we discovered zombie Love, which is the unused lyrical summer wene ending song that closed out our podcast on that episode, because I love a monster mash sound alike, pastiche it's great. And then in twenty sixteen, Brieck uploaded playlists of the full scores of every episode of the series, as well as a Gravity Falls Real playlist with highlighted excerpts from the soundtrack. But sometime in twenty twenty two, Brad Reriick began uploading the full episode scores to his YouTube, which delightfully are labeled like you can label the chapters in a YouTube video. They're all labeled with individual track names within each episode, which is awesome, really tickles my brain in that nerd way.
Speaker 2: Because now we know what every single Gravity Falls song is called.
Speaker 4: Yeah pretty much, yeah right.
Speaker 1: The vinyl was you know, it was announced in twenty twenty and this, I don't know if you remember, this really weird thing was going on in twenty twenty. It starts that started in twenty twenty and I don't know if anybody anybody remembers, but whatever it was, it was contributing to a lot of delays in the production and the shipping out of these records, and as well as the fact that I am eight bit, and I guess other sources as well tend to do this where you pre order one wave that gets stripped out at one point in time, then there are new pre orders opened up that gets stripped out at a later point. And according to the Gravity Falls wiki, the first wave was shipped out on November sixteenth of twenty twenty two, second wave in December twenty twenty two. In January twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: And here's the other thing, Like, UMG didn't announce that the soundtrack was then going to be released on didgit like on Spotify or anything like the only time week, Yeah, it was completely If I had known that that was the case, like I wouldn't be so worried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. On January twelfth of twenty twenty four, the vinyl soundtracks music was uploaded to Spotify and other digital platforms cpletely unannounced. Like you said, yeah, so we can finally start to get into the actual album that we're talking about, starting with the beautiful cover.
Speaker 2: Art, the award winning cover art.
Speaker 1: That's true, the award winning cover. The cover art is by ghost Shrimp, who was formerly a storyboard artist on The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and a lead background designer on Adventure Time.
Speaker 2: Oh, it definitely gives off Adventure Time backgrounds.
Speaker 3: It gives very Flapjack vibes to me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I see that. Yeah, it's got this kind of psychedelic vibe that kind of Yeah, doesn't necessarily look like any particular album from the the LSD tours.
Speaker 4: I will say, like I remember when the cover was released. It was sort of controversial with the fandom because like a lot of people where like this doesn't really feel too grovidy falls like or like it.
Speaker 2: Should have been.
Speaker 1: Like stylistically, it doesn't resemble the shit.
Speaker 2: That's how Grunkle Stan remembers the sixties.
Speaker 15: Though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, true, that's true. Personally, like it's grown on me a lot, like I I like it a lot now, Like like at first, like I was a bit iffy, but like personally, like I've come to grow to it. Like I love the vinyl cover.
Speaker 2: It looks like something that would be on a restaurant that college kids go to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it looks like mellow mushroom.
Speaker 2: It gives me mellow mushroom vibes.
Speaker 1: Kind of looks like a yeah, the part of it, I think it's wonderful, wonderfully whims the part of a restaurant that serves all of its burgers on like a plank of wood.
Speaker 4: I can confirm as a recent university graduate, I've seen a lot of places like that in downtown Toronto alone.
Speaker 1: So you know there's that I love, just all the detail and you can pour over it really for as long as you could be actual music, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is what the goal of a vinyl is is, like you need something to look at while the music is happening, which is kind of lost with CDs because it's a flimsy piece of cardboard that you shouldn't shouldn't touch too much.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: The CDs used to have those books with like pictures from destruction and like lyrics that I miss no for.
Speaker 2: Sure, But the difference is that in a vinyl of the book, those books are bigger, So yeah, it's forgot is always better. Shelby oh, I forgot.
Speaker 1: That's why they That's why they were biggering, right, That's why they did all that biggering, right.
Speaker 2: They were figuring on it, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Tumbler user, he no, But I love how they weave the idea of like the literal LP and kind of record designs, Like on the front is like the Mystery Shack itself has the two LP sign in place of world Paypop, which is of course, uh, the erroneous world of Famous sign from hand that rocks the male that I can't get out of my head.
Speaker 2: There's a weird animation mistake where world Famous as the World's paper, but it drove insane for an entire month.
Speaker 1: Go listen to that episode to find out. And yeah, the two grunkles are sort of their faces are on the building and they have the records in their mouths that.
Speaker 2: Are like for me, well, they are the Mystery Shack, you know. I think the Mystery Shock is kind of its own character, and also.
Speaker 1: The I'm realizing that describing it as making me sound insane. You'd probably just look at a picture of it.
Speaker 2: But you can look at a picture of it unless you have a blind ear.
Speaker 3: I think SEUs is the cutest Sus has ever been in this picture, and that's saying a.
Speaker 1: Lot, because Sus is a door, the world's most perfect man. There's and even the you know, you open it up and there's even more detail. I would bet there's a reference to every single episode in here, probably because you've got like the back has like the infinity sided die, the shrinking flashlight, you've got like Darlene, You've got. My favorite detail is probably mister pool Check strangling the gobble wonker because he totally would like if that thing appeared in his pool, it would be over. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The detail is just incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then of course all on the cover as well, you've got the big phonograph horn with Bill coming out.
Speaker 3: Of it, like the kitten frists.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, of course gotta.
Speaker 2: Have them immortalized by Shelby, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can get into the tracks themselves. We've got disc one, side A, which is marked by the pine tree on the record itself and Dippers on the cover.
Speaker 2: For those who have never handled a vinyl, basically the amount of tracks that are on an album don't fit on one side of a vinyl, so it's pretty standard for there to be two vinyl records, each with an A side and a B side. So if you see that you have a four sided record, you haven't crossed any thresholds into a new dimension.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, since there is four of us, could go each of us list the tracks off of each side.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to do it as Dipper then, since this is the Dipper record, yeah, I suppose so okay. So track one is Gravity Falls main title theme, track two Let's Rewind score from Tourist Trapped. Track three is gobble Wonker chase score from Legend of the gobble Wonker. Track four is Pig is Seuss from Carpet Diam Then five is book Discovery score from Tourist Trapped and Gideon's theme score from The Hand that Rocks the Mable. And there's a backwards message and that we'll get into that's not for this room of the museum though.
Speaker 1: No, but it does take place right after that track. I felt it worthy to note because you know, again, kids, unlike with digital music or CDs, you you have to just put the needle in the right spot to find the track that you want. You don't get to press a button and get.
Speaker 2: Basically, it looks like there are things etched into parts where there are songs, and it looks clean like nothing has ever happened to the parts where there aren't songs. So if you look real closely, you can see where each song starts and stops, which is why you get the titles like needle drop when a song starts playing at the right moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Track six Wax Battle from Headhunters. Track seven Boys Crazy Medley several times songs several several time songs all the several.
Speaker 1: Times songs which I'm sure Dipper loves that track.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Eight Let's do This named for the hand that rocks the Mabel credit scene, for which it was evidently originally composed. It's also in Tourist Trap, but the full score for that episode confirms there was originally a different track in that scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I find that interesting because it's the track that what we know as the montage of Dipper spying on Mabel and Norman has this in it, but it was not compared is for it originally?
Speaker 2: Nine is it Bottomless Score from Bottomless Pit, which is in the same track track nine as Triangulum Intagulum, which is how it's written.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's misspelled on the track title for some reason, just not what Gideon says in the amazing.
Speaker 2: Score from Dreamscaperers. And then should I record it and then you reverse it? Or should I try to read it backwards?
Speaker 1: Try to read it backwards?
Speaker 2: All which is a backmasked song from the Inconveniencing.
Speaker 5: May even.
Speaker 2: Email e mail mail snow, what song is?
Speaker 1: What song?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 2: What song?
Speaker 1: Are you sure? No?
Speaker 2: Don't don't you know if you tried to find out?
Speaker 1: Really, we do a lot of don't we Why don't we just play back something?
Speaker 2: Some things are just better off not knowing. I always shall we say exactly that?
Speaker 1: That doesn't seem like you're different, That doesn't seem like how.
Speaker 2: You Then Track eleven is fight Fighters Battle Suite Score, and I.
Speaker 1: Love this one because you can tell right like the exact Q when the Superpower Mega Ultra Meta Refix combo. You can tell right when that happens. Track twelve, being Blanching is just an iconic way to end out. This is this side of the album.
Speaker 16: Planting Girl We Blanching. I live up in the mansion, girl Love Blanching. I live up being the mansion cannot please have your attention, because you know, straight blanching cannot please have your attention. You know that straight we be blanching on a play, We be blanching straight to we got panching on Come on you.
Speaker 5: Baby, hey.
Speaker 2: Kids, Oh we blanching. Yeah, we do plant. If we continue to blanch, that would make it yeah. Yeah, And I love it's so because this could have just been like, here's some songs from the show, but there are like new like dude, we didn't have a full version of blanche in priorities. We didn't have a full version of we meete again. And I don't know. It's such an interesting work overall, especially the choices.
Speaker 1: I'd preferred more of a strict chronological, you know, escalation. But I also think it's a fun mix tonally. You get a lot of things that kind of back and forth. Are our fun contrasts. Yeah, and it's generally split between season one and two, but they're obviously like blanching is clear obviously season two, and I would say it's split more in the sense of like fun and plot. I guess, you know. Disc disc one, Disc fun.
Speaker 15: Disc too, Discontinuity Track one on Disc one.
Speaker 1: Side B, which is denoted by the shooting Star and has Mabel on the cover is Finally I Have Them All, which is the score from the end of Gideon Rises. Track two we have Gideon's song from the Hand that Rocks the Mabel, which is It's One, It's It is one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: There's a church choir in this version that's not in the episode.
Speaker 1: I get why that didn't appear in the actual episode, because they would it would be weird if it appeared like non diegetically, they probably would have had it justify it with some kind of animation that they didn't want to do. I I do get why it's not there, but it adds so much to the character of Gideon, into the vibe that he's giving, which is this evangelical, you know sermon. It also lacks the dialogue from Gideon talking to the audience, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: Something tells me your name, Mabel, and then there's just silence for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Track three is It's all led up to This, which is score from Scaraoke, which sort of directly follows Finally I Have Them All. It's the intro to that episode with Stan remarking that he probably should have worn pants for such a momentous occasion, which always made me wonder like, did he think what Ford was gonna step out?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 1: Then he should have worked pants?
Speaker 2: He would have Ford would have stepped down and been like, all right, I'll see myself. Yeah, just walked right back.
Speaker 1: Track four is Working Girls aka Large and in Charge from Boss Mabel, performed by Carmen Carter. And this one is even stranger because the copyright is registered as Large and in Charge. Right then, Working Girls is what it's on the soundtrack as Track five is Gnome Chase. No guesses as to what episode this is from. This is from Torrest Trap. Track six is the end credits of Gideon Rise's notably Without Gravity Falls Will Return, which was only I think on the initial rigs. Track seven is Who's that Girl Again? I love the contrasts here because you go from the song of Sock Opera to track eight. Fiddleford hadron Muggucket which is misspelled Mugucket.
Speaker 2: This is actually his mother, Yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's the score from the blind Eye episode, which his entire tragic backstory right after the Sock Opera. Uh, and then we get another backwards message followed by the stan Wrong song from Boss Mabel, again following the backstory of Fiddleford with the stand Wrong song Absolute Perfection.
Speaker 2: That's very meta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as noted on the wiki, this is evidently an earlier version, like before the final mix. I guess.
Speaker 13: Jazzier.
Speaker 2: My guess to what it was was the instrumental ran longer than they expected and there was a part where it was like this silence could be filled by Mabel saying something else, and Alex just recorded it as a temp track until Kristen was in the studio for the next episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I guess that's probably true. They have her lines for the rest of the song, but not because.
Speaker 2: She doesn't sing any parts of it, so the instrumental wouldn't need to be there yet while she was.
Speaker 3: Recording when they mixed it it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also if you time into the visuals, Mabel's on screen lines are all there, and her initial do the kicks is there. Jazzier is still an off screen line, so that might be it.
Speaker 2: I mean, adr you could say that, yeah you liked my puns, what happened in two.
Speaker 1: Years, Well, they're the same puns.
Speaker 3: I mean, the thing is.
Speaker 1: Track ten is a very tricky triangle, which is from SoC Opera. I believe it's a scene when Dipper is manipulated into shaking his hand and gets possessed, and then we get that kind of bouncy like playful music as he's using Dipper's body for the first time, slapping himself, et cetera. Then we come to disc two, side A with the Fez symbol and brunkle Stan on the cover. Shelby, would you like to take us through those?
Speaker 3: I absolutely will.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do the stand voice of your Lynx. I don't think I.
Speaker 3: Could do that prolonged period of time.
Speaker 1: I wasn't really doing Mabel, so you don't have to do stand.
Speaker 3: It's all good. So track one is a World of Enchantment or whatever, and I came up with a plan score from Tale of Two Stands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe that's all that seamless sequence where he's inventing the mystery shack you know on the spot, or rather the murder Hut.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, the Murder Hut. Track two is the two Kids Who Ruined My Life score from Blendon's Game.
Speaker 1: I think that's the opening when he initially calls out Globnar.
Speaker 3: Track three is Everything Changes Today score from Not what He's Seeing Again. The opening track four is time Battle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the song that plays' Globnar and it ends with Brad chanting time Battle instead of what I believe is Alex chanting Globnar as in the episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it kind of threw us off just a little bit, but yeah.
Speaker 2: The music is a reference to the music in the commercial for Crossfire, which is one of the greatest commercials ever shot.
Speaker 1: Look it up if you haven't, so I'm almost surprised that the temp track wasn't just.
Speaker 3: Crossfire, and that is score from Blendin's game. Track number five is Black and Sky score from Northwest Mansion Mystery. Track six is Don't Let Them Escape score from Golf War. Track seven is I Want to Be Ex's score from Little Gift Shop of Horrors.
Speaker 1: Why is that the title, Well, it's because it's it's the end credits when Mabel is playing the tech Toe and I have the hardest time finding the source for this one because the title is I Want to Be X's and X's is spelled with an E, like in a relationship, So I thought, is this from the Love God or something, but no, it's it's Mabel saying, oh, I want to be x'es as in I want to play X's in our tic tac togey.
Speaker 2: They didn't write it capital X apostrophe. Yeah, yeah, okay, I got it now.
Speaker 3: Track eight is I need that Machine to stay on score from not what he seems.
Speaker 2: Which is just a fantastic score overall, which is why they had him do a bonus commentary for that episode. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Track nine is yeah, dude, friends, score from into the Bunker and your fighting only makes us look more rad from Scarioke.
Speaker 1: Two bangers, Absolute bangers.
Speaker 3: Followed by another banger oh. Track ten taking Over to Night aka taking Over Midnight from Scarioke.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, I don't know why the in universe name of the song is different from what they are calling the song, but I digress.
Speaker 2: Later we'll get to this. But there are even more for the song.
Speaker 1: Oh god, that's true. Too many? So HK, would you like to take us through a disc two side B with a six fingered hand? Yeah, sure you guessed it, Bill, Bill's not the.
Speaker 2: Six hand, Bill the six fingered hand.
Speaker 1: No wait, no, Sometimes I understand wanting to downplay stanford Ian like covers and stuff, since he is, you know, kind of a walking spoiler, but they didn't. He's on the cover of this album, why not just make him the six finger?
Speaker 2: It also like this is so hard for the fandom to even think about, which is part of the reason we made the podcast. But Bill is also a walking spoiler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get in the similar way.
Speaker 4: Also one thing of speaking of Ford as being a spoiler. Back in twenty eighteen, when the box set came out, like Alex was asked about like why Ford isn't on the box and he was like, because you know, he's a spoiler. But then when you bought the box seat in twenty eighteen, it came with a little pamphlet and that mentioned, you know, also by Lost Legends because it's came out on the same day. And take a guess who's on theware of Lost Legends?
Speaker 2: What second stamp? Exactly how these animation mistakes.
Speaker 1: A lot of the DVD box sets came with the see you Next Summer pamphlet right the papers.
Speaker 2: And Stan just can't decide what his full name or handwriting is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So take us through, all right, sure, starting with track one, it's Mabel, It's Bill, which is a score from Dipper and Mabel Versus the Future, and then following that is track two, Got in a Pig from the Love God performed by Robbie Wycoff and.
Speaker 2: By Neil csirika Ak.
Speaker 4: And then after that, track three is the Weird mcgedton Part one suite. There's also a backwards message from Standing It after it. Yeah, and then there's track number four which is Giggle Creek, which is a score from Weirdmagedon Part two, Escape from Reality. After that there's track five which is Bill Trick Me from the Last Mabel Corn which you know, I think we all know what that's related to. After that, this one was something that I was a surprise to learn about, which is track number six, My Heart is Made of Rainbows from Weir Mega Part two Escape from Reality, also performed by Robbie Wycoff. And like in the episode, it was the instrumental version that played at the start when you know Dipper, Susan Wendy arrive in Mabel Land. But here is the lyrical version and that was really cool to hear.
Speaker 1: And it's completely new. We hadn't heard this at all. It's a brand new song, you know, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's one of my favorite songs in the entire soundtrack. Yeah, move on from there. We then have track number seven, which is I'm a Flipping quarter right, which is a score from where again in part one.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Then there's track number eight, which is saying Goodbye to gravity Falls, which is the score at the end of Weird meged and Part three take Back the Falls never gets sold that one. And then we have the Weird Megedton Part four end credits score.
Speaker 1: Fake fake fake news. Wird Mgeddon Part three is both parts. I think that I don't think plus should have it split like that. The only reason they split is for rerun purposes, so why there's no reason too?
Speaker 4: It's typical Disney.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Then there's uh grev a t Falls sim which is backwards message.
Speaker 2: Uh sill a little bit did.
Speaker 1: Did not.
Speaker 3: An exorcist? We need to call it exorcis.
Speaker 4: I wonder what song this one is. I've never heard of it and it's used in all three Word Megannon episodes.
Speaker 2: Hm M, yeah, well so it it's an anagram of gravity Falls theme. And then it's the words Bill's chopped and screwed remix. I I love this one. Because like the melody is not the same as the gravity Falls theme one to one, Like there's the part records, it's like still recognizable as the gravity Falls theme despite all of the things it's doing with it, including changing up the recognizable melody towards.
Speaker 1: The end because it's the same instrument palette.
Speaker 4: And then finally we end off with track eleven, probably the most well known of the entire vinyl. I guess you could say it's will Meet Again, performed by question Mark aka Bill sus Stan and mcguck Adam. Is this their band name?
Speaker 1: That's the only explanation that I could come up with that it just says, performed by question Mark, creep smiling.
Speaker 2: Through just like you don'des always do, Old the Blue Skies drive the Dark Clouds for a word? So will you please say hello to the folks that I know?
Speaker 4: Tell him I won't be long.
Speaker 2: They'll be happy to know that is you saw me go. I wasn't screaming this song.
Speaker 13: We all meet again, don't know where, don't know when, but I know we'll meet.
Speaker 2: Again some day. But I love that it's it's just Alex's characters. For some reason, something about that is so funny.
Speaker 4: To me, just Alex over and over again.
Speaker 2: That is I love Also the last thought you're left with when you finished listening to it cover to cover is I hate you all, you.
Speaker 1: Dudes, I hate you all. So, as we've noted with some of them, some of the vocal songs particularly have either like different mixing or alternate takes or are they they're either in hand are extended in this recording the several times songs all have like added harmonies, and before the song Mabel Girl, one of them shouts twenty twelve, which might have been the first version of the gag that became twenty thirteen, which.
Speaker 2: Is fascinating that it was changed to twenty thirteen.
Speaker 4: That's what's basically spriaked the whole twenty thirteen debate what Grierdy.
Speaker 1: Falls and that song there's like the bridge that's kind of spoken word, and it has different timing than it does in the actual episode, and a lot of it being chalked down to like mixing and timing. I think is especially telling of the animation process, because when you put things to picture, you might reorganize things in your sound mix. Then, of course Blancheon is an entire extended song. We talked about Gideon's song and Stan Wrong Song and Globnar In taken over Tonight, everyone joins in for the final line instead of just Dipper. If you'll remember, in our Scaraokey episode, we featured an alternate take of Jason River's performance of that song.
Speaker 3: I love his alternate takes so much, But yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Would guess that they had that sound mix in there because it was meant to be like that final harmony. But what we ended up getting was Dipper singing it and then Mable saving him, which is more kind of a visual thing rather than something you would be able to predict in the sound mix. Also, in the liner notes of the album, Grunkle is consistently spelled wrong with the L after the E.
Speaker 2: That's actually the science experiment Ford did to make himself less of a nerd a las stefan or kel. That's drunkkel, drunk Kel.
Speaker 1: I was imagining it as some sort of German pastry. This vinyl received a Grammy Award nomination for Best Recording Package because of that killer cover art and overall packaging of the album.
Speaker 2: So as I had alluded to, Matt Chapman made so many songs for Homestar Runner, and was in some bands with his friends before and after Homestart Well, there's no after homestarre Runner, per se, and the lyrics and Homestarre Runner are so funny and weird like it perfectly captures the essence of someone improvising a song in a way that is written out to be the funniest possible, and so Alex, also being a fan of homestore Runner, had Matt either write or rewrite songs in Gravity Falls for as long as he was on the staff. So I contacted him and basically he responded sending us a bunch of a bunch of never before heard early demos of Gravity Falls songs. Oh, he writes, I got a should I Should I do the voice?
Speaker 1: Yes? I'd be outvoted anyway, wouldn't I?
Speaker 17: So yeah, I had a keyboard and they might set up in my office at Disney. And one of my favorite cards is what I worked on GF was Alex would pop it and saying you need a little song for an episode. Jeff Row was usually my partner at Crime and we'd crak out something ridiculous in an hour or two. Eventually Brad Brake would be given our rough demos that make them sound like it, but it always amazes me how much DNA from our janky demos would for Maine in the final version.
Speaker 1: Notably, I have heard these previously, us have, so.
Speaker 2: This is initial reactions.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm exciting.
Speaker 1: So not only are you out there, I'm pointing with my finger like in a three D movie, you are hearing this for the first time, never before heard songs, but these folks here are also hearing it for the first time.
Speaker 2: There are two groups of people in the entire world to have heard these songs before, being the Gravity Falls crew and Ella. I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So first up we have here is Mabel Girl. We got two different versions with minor lyrical differences. Matt writes.
Speaker 17: After writing the several times episode, Alex asked if I wanted to try the Clones final trivia song to Mabel. This was my first attempt crumbled together in garage band.
Speaker 12: Mabel Jong, We know you have a dost wrong because you got it going on. Why go, I guess that's why we're growing so able girl.
Speaker 2: You cheat us, all right.
Speaker 5: We know that you would never lie to.
Speaker 18: You know that's right, because you're so selfless, breaking dam with your awkward She needs chop, but we keep enough sake the farm ever fend of Mabel Girl, were fun with you. Oh, I'm the biggest fan, not like m brock Man saying strong much.
Speaker 2: You know that's right, Mabel Daughter.
Speaker 14: You can't say no lives.
Speaker 2: Mabel Girl, Willow. We believe you, and you know that we could never leave you.
Speaker 12: Here.
Speaker 2: It comes you because we love your soul.
Speaker 18: That's why I've got to let you go.
Speaker 2: Dang, Oh my god. Yeah, well there's a lot of lyrical differences for the final version there, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: I like that Mabel was originally supposed to sing along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I liked that in corporation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I gotta let you go, she just solemnly says in the episode. I also love that they cut We're in Love with You for probably obvious reasons. Yes, yeah, yeah, And now we have another demo he did of Mabel Girl with minor lyrical differences.
Speaker 12: Mabel Jong, we know you never do what's wrong because you got it going on.
Speaker 7: Why.
Speaker 12: I guess that's why we wrote this song little good.
Speaker 1: We would.
Speaker 14: Because you're so simple.
Speaker 7: Break Day always keep us safe from harm.
Speaker 2: You got such awkward teenage charms saved just from the spongey.
Speaker 14: You know that's right, Mabel, save no love, allow it be believe you and you know we could never believe.
Speaker 2: You, he recalls, yo, because we love you.
Speaker 7: So that's why I've got to let you go.
Speaker 2: That's what it would sound like if Matt voiced Mabel.
Speaker 1: Let's say, Homestar really really pulled it together in that last line there. That's why I've gotta let you go.
Speaker 2: The rest of these will all be with Jeff Row also there, singing and doing terrible impressions of the characters.
Speaker 1: Can't wait, get on, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Next, we have text me tomorrow.
Speaker 1: That would be tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me say that again, text me TOMORROWUD.
Speaker 1: Just sounds like you're doing it as as a seed bonnet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, text me tomorrow.
Speaker 19: Here, writes from scaraoke, alexand Brad Brieke make a living on a prayer esque backing track and test Jeff Row and I with trying some lyrics. Our first attempt was a carb maybe ripoff called tixt Me Tomorrow, but ultimately it didn't get big slash harmonious enough in the chorus to bust zombie heads.
Speaker 2: This was my generation's call me Mabel. Uh no, it is fascinating that they did eventually do it. Call me maybe parody and one exists here.
Speaker 1: Oh Mabel, does it have to be this song?
Speaker 2: This is the only song now, singing.
Speaker 10: Colon Parnthus sees, is how you smiled at me?
Speaker 20: I texted back some.
Speaker 1: Z's and now you're so in love. You sent me pictures of cats.
Speaker 2: They all wore funny hats.
Speaker 1: I was way into that.
Speaker 2: I texted back, watsop, understand. It's your two kids. I don't know if our lives are worth this.
Speaker 16: Do it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna stay.
Speaker 1: I'm doing this is the best part.
Speaker 2: Love is the three letter word.
Speaker 18: Jeez, it's got you.
Speaker 21: And then life is crazy.
Speaker 2: But love is bizarrow. If you still like me, then text me tomorrow. Life is crazy. The love is bizarro.
Speaker 21: If you still like me, this is it, boys, life is crazy. The love is bizarrow. If you still like me, then text me tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, life is crazy. My love is bizarro. If you still like me, and text me tomorrow. If you still like me, text me tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Eat it.
Speaker 2: Zombies, cap You're all dead. Oh my comf. So that was Ninja Turtle's mutant mayhe director Jeff Row as Mabel as he always voiced, he's.
Speaker 3: Got a very Mabel energy, Jeffy fresh because he does.
Speaker 2: Now we finally have we finally know what table read Mabel sounded like, so we could kind of cobble together with these episodes sound.
Speaker 1: But yeah, ego eared listeners will notice that that is literally the same instrumental as taking Over to Night, but completely different melody and lyrics of course. And yeah, I don't know if it would have like landed as well if the entire hook hinges on rhyming with the word bizarro, you know, it.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't have been as good a climax to skaraoke. It is, however, a new Gravity Falls song that no one has heard outside of the instru The beginning part really plays it close to call Me Rape. Yeah, I'm gonna listen to that a billion more times after that. I love it so much, and I love how much bad Jeff are just making each other laugh while recording, And I like the intro.
Speaker 1: I guess I guess the joke of the intro where UH differs, like does it have to be this song? And this is the only song it's like the only one on the machine, Like, is it the only one on the karaoke machine? Or is Mabel just acting like this is the only song.
Speaker 2: I think it's the only one on this well, so Bluffs and Darland we're doing a rap song on the rappers rap.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you remember this, but back in the day you had to put a CD in and sometimes the CD had one song on it. Mm hmmm, yeah, So I think she just put the the only karaoke. It's like it has the track with no words and the track with words, and that's me. It's the only song on it that was.
Speaker 2: So much fun.
Speaker 4: Oh beautiful.
Speaker 2: Next we have here, girls do what we like.
Speaker 17: Our next attempt was in The Girls Just Want to Have Fun Fade, and it's closer to the final version, except with me a Jeff's bad impressions of the characters, an off key singing.
Speaker 1: Mabel, our lives.
Speaker 18: May not be worth this, righty night, and we're gonna party till dawn.
Speaker 1: Don't worry, daddy, I've got my favorite dress on.
Speaker 18: Mabel.
Speaker 2: This is stupid.
Speaker 1: Roll into the party. The boys are looking our way. We just keep dancing.
Speaker 11: We don't care.
Speaker 1: What they say. And all the boys in.
Speaker 2: This place are getting up in my face.
Speaker 10: Everybody, boys are a bore.
Speaker 1: Let's show them the door.
Speaker 2: We're taking over the dance floor.
Speaker 1: Girl, do what we like.
Speaker 2: We're taking over to night. Oh, girls, do what we like.
Speaker 4: We're taking over to night.
Speaker 20: We're queen this.
Speaker 2: Oh man, we sound terrible. We sound terrible together.
Speaker 9: Oh girls do we like?
Speaker 13: Oh we're taking over tune night, taken over, tonduck.
Speaker 2: You deal with the tobby idiots times tis times times. So that had the same uh, lyrical difference as in the soundtrack version, where it's you know.
Speaker 3: The in this place?
Speaker 1: That's true, yes, And it sounds so it sounds like Matt and Jeff are singing over a pre recorded demo vocal track of Brad Breeck singing. And I think what might have happened is that Brad laid down this vocal track as a concept of the melody, because the chorus melody is the same as what we now know is the song. And then Matt and Jeff just made lyrics on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you listen really closely, you can't really make them out, but there are different lyrics. He's not singing the same lyrics as them, so right, I mean.
Speaker 1: They're just they're generic lyrics to fill the melody, and I think Matt it was more like this is the melody that here's an idea for a melody you could use. And also there are a lot of specific sound effects and sort of action noises that suggest specific visuals, so I have to assume that this version of the song was timed out to an animatic or some kind of visual.
Speaker 2: As well as there's some actual Kristin Shawl and Alex.
Speaker 1: From the Yeah, so this probably was much later in the production.
Speaker 2: And then for Sock Opera he writes early Sock Opera demos coloss to the final version, just longer. It's a different lyrics, a two dude singing badly.
Speaker 7: In a time before time, there was a different time it is this time. It is Mabel time.
Speaker 2: Look it's Mabel. Did you say stable, No?
Speaker 1: He said, Mabel?
Speaker 2: Okay, hit it boys.
Speaker 18: Who's that girl with the pig and the braces? One hundred sweaters all in your faces? She gets a thumbs up from the sun. She's so smart.
Speaker 1: She makes dolphins look dumb when she's.
Speaker 18: Around your never board.
Speaker 2: I'm a mayor and here's an award. Let's almost kick a town there at the end.
Speaker 1: I mean that's what I was expecting.
Speaker 2: Yes, horrible, who.
Speaker 1: A word.
Speaker 2: Oh I I'm having the time of my life with this. This is amazing. I can't believe we get to distribute this. This is I'm sorry, this is like I will freaking out a little bit. Thank you, Mayor It's true.
Speaker 5: I'm great.
Speaker 1: But the perfect girl, he's the perfect man.
Speaker 2: That is homestar music. That is just straight up home star. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think I would. I would you agree that the sock opera song is the home starist gravity Falls.
Speaker 2: I mean it changed the least for sure out of all of these demos. But I miss no he said Mabel, Okay, okay, Jeff Row being like, oh like yeah, oh got it all right? Yeah sorry perfect, Yeah you said stable.
Speaker 1: Sorry. So yeah, that's the unreleased, the previously unreleased.
Speaker 2: Now released.
Speaker 3: Yeah now nome now no fully gnome now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you have auditory processing issues and missed any of that, go to that gfan on YouTube. On the same day those podcast was posted. There should be a video with lyrics to all of those demos.
Speaker 1: Earlier this year in twenty twenty four. Of course, soundtrack released on Spotify and other digital platforms. We covered that it's just verbatim the vinyl tracks just as they are, just in digital form. So now Brad Brieck can get like a fraction of a penny every time you listen to it. Then, on July twenty sixth of twenty twenty four, Low Fi gravity Falls was released with twelve low Fi remixes. For those not in the no Lofi is basically a down tempo, chill subgenre of hip hop, and they're all remixes of tracks from the soundtrack. Why don't we just alternate saying these.
Speaker 2: Gravity Falls main title theme and.
Speaker 4: We've got Let's rewind and then we've got fiddle for Hendra and mcguckan.
Speaker 3: Fourth, we have Let's do this.
Speaker 2: Then we have the Stan Wrong song, which is a hilarious choice for a low five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, just stand I was run, although the vocals aren't there I should specify, but it is the melody there. Yeah, track six we have taken over to Night.
Speaker 4: For track seven, we've got Gideon's theme.
Speaker 3: Eighth, we have Gideon Rises and credits.
Speaker 2: Ninth we have Weirdmageddon Part one b outro track.
Speaker 1: Ten is Weird mcgeddon Part one A.
Speaker 4: Then for track eleven, We've got Weird mcgeddon Part four end credits, which is my personal favorite song in the entire release.
Speaker 3: And finally we have who, and finally we have the saying goodbye to Gravity Falls.
Speaker 2: I love the reverse order of those. I don't know, it just kind of makes it like go out on this kind of bittersweet note instead of on the When Shelby and I were listening through the soundtrack, we said, like, the Weird we getting end credits is like just much more upbeat than Gravity Falls music normally is like you got the eighties synth for Mabel, But it's just such an optimistic sounding song, and there's always kind of this looming mystery in the rest of the soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I guess, you know, give it all the lo fi treatment. It kind of tone changes anyway, So it's an interesting choice.
Speaker 2: Are you into Are you guys into lo fi? Personally, the rap beats get my heart beating with them, and I get more excited instead of chill down, So I can't use them to relax.
Speaker 1: I can't use them to relax, chill or study too.
Speaker 2: I could study too, that's true.
Speaker 3: I do like them to study too, Yeah, or deep dive into gravity falls too.
Speaker 1: They do what they're designed to do. You know, you have them while drawing or what have you.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The cover of the album, as well as the animation of the Disney Channel video, is Mabel drawing Kraz with the sleeping wattles by the window. This was drawn by Emmy Cisiriga and animated by Malboo animation of Baman plider Man Fame.
Speaker 2: He comes over the house.
Speaker 1: For sure, they are best friends.
Speaker 2: That's specifically on the on the YouTube version. The album cover is not animated on.
Speaker 1: iTunes, No, that would be mad. This is all, of course, an homage to Lo Fi Girl, a famous YouTube channel with twenty four to seven lo fi streams. Mabel, in fact is even dressed like the titular mascot. My favorite part of this art is the drawing on the wall labeled chartreuse Seuss, which is what it sounds like. It's a drawing of Suss in Charkreuse. I do love that.
Speaker 3: That's a really nice tidbit. It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: What color is chartruse?
Speaker 1: I always forget it's not really a color, it's more of a state of marn Yeah, now that's correct.
Speaker 2: These particular lo fi remixes were done by Cooper Babs and Brian Parkhurst. They're really good. We should probably play a couple of snippets, but you should go check it out yourself on YouTube or iTunes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they're amazing.
Speaker 1: You can check it out on the Disney Channel YouTube because on August sixteenth, twenty twenty four, they posted a compilation.
Speaker 2: Video animated Pith Batman, pider Man person that's not Steeple even so, there's a little visual gags happening periodically, so I.
Speaker 1: Feel like it's just expected of anything gravity falls related at this point, that the that there would be, Yeah.
Speaker 2: For sure. There's the kids balloon floating by, as well as a UFO abducting Octavia.
Speaker 1: The cow just a deep cut.
Speaker 4: That was one of the first shorts to actually watch as well, so.
Speaker 3: You would have gotten the reference even if you hadn't seen the whole thing.
Speaker 2: You would have been like, I don't know who most of these things are or these songs, but that cow, I remember Octavia. You would have that cow.
Speaker 1: You would have watched the other episodes have been like, well, where's Emmett and Deshaun? They're my favorite HENCHK.
Speaker 2: People would be like, have you watched gravity Falls? At HK would be like the Octavia Show, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: There are times where the sky turns totally red a weird mgeddon and other times the colors of the scene are inverted and a bunch of bill eyes pop up on the window. But you know, it doesn't really feel right to talk about that kind of thing. No, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: No, No, for sure, for sure Bill you know you know him. He knows lots of things, and we're not allowed to talk about most of those things.
Speaker 1: Right here, specifically, shoot, Shelby, do you have the key to the to the other other place? Did I give to you?
Speaker 3: So I actually retooled the entryways. So we're gonna have to go over and hit these books on the bookshelf in specific orders.
Speaker 1: Okay, so do you remember the order? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, HK. If you could hit the one on the bottom left, that Charlie top right, middle, the red book, yeah, Ella, yeah, yeah, this green book here in the center third shelf, I.
Speaker 1: Got it, the red one. Wait, no, sorry, I'm more color blind. Sorry I type the green one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just gonna pick up the rug and go down Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 9: Conspiracy.
Speaker 1: This is a nice three tooling of the entrance.
Speaker 12: I like that.
Speaker 2: It still breaks me every time when I hear that we got Alex to do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yes, that's really cool that you got it to play when you lifted up the rug.
Speaker 3: I mean that was part of it. I added speakers to downstairs so it rises up from the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Kind of like a big mouth billy bass type situation.
Speaker 1: Too soon in two years? Yeah, yeah, I haven't processed it yet.
Speaker 2: Where does it say disclaimer? Any and all hidden messages in this record are purely in your imagination.
Speaker 1: That I'd be writing the liner notes.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: And there's a page that has sort of the bill cipher image that flashes with the zodiac wheel in the theme song, and on that page is Yeah, so I guess in that case, we don't really have to talk about any of this stuff rank because it's not Ella Ella Ella.
Speaker 2: We talked about Lebem.
Speaker 3: You did talk about Lebem.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you make a good point.
Speaker 2: Whether it exists or not, is clearly not a component of the all conspiracy.
Speaker 1: We are kind of quantum down here, so well, I guess we could talk about the backwards messages hidden in the vinyl that we sort of alluded to earlier.
Speaker 2: Which we will reverse for you.
Speaker 1: In fact, the first one follows Gideon's theme backwards message plays, in which Seuss says, which played backwards, is in your.
Speaker 2: Record backwards is a great white of damage your record player. Following Fiddleford hadrawn ma Gucket, Alex Hirsch says, rushing your way out here for three mates, which played backwards.
Speaker 6: Is jam your thumbs directly into your eyes for a free fireworks show.
Speaker 2: Which is wild that he let they let him say that, I mean, even reversed in an official Disney release. I mean, I guess he's just talking about holding, like putting pressure on your eyes, not like actually doing any damage. But the word jam is I don't know.
Speaker 3: My eye doctor told me not to do that anymore at worsens my stigmatism.
Speaker 4: The last message is following Weird McGain in part one, sweet as Stand says, which played backwards is.
Speaker 17: Apparently if you play this record alongside Wizard of Oz, it matches up perfectly.
Speaker 2: Which is of course a reference to the Dark Side of the Rainbow. Which is that Apparently, if you play Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon at the same time as The Wizard of Oz, the visuals match up perfectly. I watched it. By the way, I sniffed this one out for you guys. It's okay. It's honestly not the best coincidental matching visuals I've ever seen. Of course, Blart Side of the Mall is better. Yeah, okay, But there is one amazing part where when they go black white and which is which? When they say black, they show the Wicked Witch of the West, and when they say white, they show Glinda, And then when they say which is which, both are on screen exactly. You know this was not intentional. They were not watching The Rezard of Oz while they were recording this album. They were in fact watching Mary Poppins True Story. But the angry video game Nerd review of Wizard of Oz for the Supernadendo is in fact, written, directed, and edited to sync up perfectly with Dark Side of the Moon.
Speaker 1: Amazing. I love that.
Speaker 2: You know what we should do with the Discord server? What let's sink up the gravity falls soundtrack with Wizard of Oz and see if there's any serendipitous moments. Yes, what are we gonna call it? It needs a because we have we have Blart side of the mall, we have dark side of the Rainbow. What are we calling this?
Speaker 3: Rainbow Eden, somewhere over the.
Speaker 1: Falls, somewhere the falls, Invisible Wizard of Us somewhere. I was going to say, somewhere over the rainbow bar.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: No, I like Invisible Wizard of Oz. That's so good.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite secret within the vinyl is this one here, which is that So the vinyls are advertised as being in decoder red, they're this like translucent kind of and they are that way because there are secret messages in the slip covers. There's a lot of red sort of squiggles or lines that cover up these messages.
Speaker 2: I loved Ovaltine as a kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty much that. It's sort of that era of decoding where there would be a message written in blue ink covered up by a lot of red inks. Your eye doesn't really see it, and then you put a piece of red translucent you know, plastic or whatever to it. Like a lens and it filters out that red light and allows you to just see the blue message. So, Charlie, you want to read dippers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, Dipper says disco girl or disco girl? Did you want to speak it or say I'm sorry?
Speaker 1: Hey no shame, no shame? Dipper, yes, sing it?
Speaker 2: Uh, disco girl coming through? That girl is you?
Speaker 3: Mabel says, who's that girl with the pig and the braces? She puts smiles on everyone's faces.
Speaker 1: Uh, Giruncle stands says I'm Stan and I was wrong. I'm singing the sand wrong song.
Speaker 4: So Bill says aeny meany miney you, and also shows the zodiac symbols surrounding him.
Speaker 1: So obviously Bill's is not quote from a song, but notably, Dippers is a quote from a song that is not on the album for reasons we stand.
Speaker 3: But I do like that all the characters are singing besides Bill Sands bell sans is Bill sans undertail. Yes, that explains a lot, but not only does the vinyl app secrets, but so does the low fi album. A lot of this is just directly quoted via the wiki, but at about one minute forty seconds into Gideon's theme, you can hear morse code, which, when decoded says free.
Speaker 2: Me, no, no, do it Ella, Come on, people have waited this long for an episode.
Speaker 5: Do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I don't. I don't think it's Gideon.
Speaker 3: I want to hear it as Gideon so badly, though.
Speaker 1: I think I think Gideon should do the morse code too. Then yes, yes, yes, yes, yes yeah. At about one minute forty seconds into Gideon's theme, morse code can be heard, which I will read out as Gideon, of course, did did da did did do?
Speaker 7: Did?
Speaker 1: Did did da da? Which one de coded says free me.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna need uh a low fi tape of just as Gideon reading to me in morse code.
Speaker 1: That's right there, I do it. App In minute rock at no.
Speaker 2: Data no no, at about uh forty two uh. At about two minutes forty two seconds into Weird Mageddon Part one, a morse code could be heard.
Speaker 1: We don't. We can just play that one. We don't have to read it out.
Speaker 2: When de coded, this says remember you.
Speaker 3: Clinting yeah, And those two codes are also hidden text in the spectrograms of those respective songs.
Speaker 4: The description of the Disney Channel compilation video then states return to Gravity Falls with the low fi album. It's the perfect background music for unwinding studying, investigating the supernatural mysteries of this dimension. And in several of the words, if you noticed, are capitalized and they spell out free may.
Speaker 2: So both of these, well what are they alluding to?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That'll be the next episode.
Speaker 1: I actually have an envelope grade here I meant to open. That was also pretty ominous.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love it when you get mail Ella, Well.
Speaker 1: Actually it's addressed to all of us. What it will? Just open her up? I'll just start Yeah, So Shelby, you want to take the second paragraph, and then I'll take the third month.
Speaker 2: Hi Ella, Charlie and Shelby.
Speaker 1: Hi. Hi.
Speaker 2: My name is Harlowe and I am a huge fan of your podcast. I was a kid when Gravity Falls was airing, and my older brother and older sister would be allowed to watch it in the other room without me because I was too young, and it drove me up the wall. A few years later, a bit after it had ended, I was allowed to watch it. And when I tell you, I got so obsessed. Gravity Falls was like my life as a kid. I had a whole shrine dedicated to it. In my shared room with my brother. I got to read all the books over and over again. I've seen the show in total about eleven ish times. I used to have my grandpa record episodes on his cable TV for whenever I would come and visit him. It was insane, like I was so abnormal about this show. It was crazy and as a kid, all you want is more and more and more, and so I would watch countless theory videos about how gravity Falls was coming back, and Gravity Falls season three and twenty nineteen YadA YadA, and I believed all of it. But anyway, the first real Gravity Falls experience I had in like present time was when the Lost Legends comic came out. That's the same with HK, and I got to be a part of the theorizing and code cracking and everything else with everyone else in the community. It was so awesome. But then alas, no more gravity Falls content for who knows how long after that until now, and so I kind of slowly got out of my Gravity Falls fandom.
Speaker 3: Eventually, a while later, I randomly got recommended your podcast on my Spotify feet and I was like, oh, I like gravity falls, what's this And I just listened to like a snippet of the first episode and I was like, Yo, wait, this is actually really cool, And so I became addicted to your podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh go.
Speaker 3: I think I started listening around the Weird mcgeddon episode, and I was stoked when you had an Alex Hirsh episode. I've listened to your Cipher Hunt episode all the way through like five times. It's such a good eating I used to listen to all the episodes while I would draw, and it was some of my favorite background noise because one of the main things I was sad I missed out on was truly being involved in the fandom at the time that it was all happening. Like, sure, I can go and surf through all the forums and posts I have, but it's not the same. But you guys just totally solved that and made such a well documented and thought through compendium of everything, and it just expanded my gravity falls knowledge so much. You guys are so funny and so personal, and there are just so many things that I quote that you guys say, Like anytime someone says the thing I always say in my head or out loud. The nineteen eighty two John Carpenter film, and I just enjoyed getting to know you guys through your podcast.
Speaker 1: I hope you say it out loud more often than not. That's the right way to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, if it doesn't bring me an entire conversation to a halt, listen as the resident CEO of interrupting people by saying a nineteen eighty two John Carpenter film. If it doesn't drag the conversation to a halt and make the energy really weird for a few seconds, you're doing it wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, Ella, I really loved learning about the trans experience through all your stories, and I love your art. Oh, thank you. Love that one trans comic you made. I think on your birthday. It's very cute. I think you're referring to a comic I made about my birthday, which is in this big sort of anthology of transcomics called When I Was Me, which we can link in the description. It's fantastic. Highly recommend it if it's still available. I'm not one hundred percent sure. I'm straight and assist gender female, but my best friend is non binary, and there's a trans boy at my school who I may or may not have a teeny tiny crush on but I'll never tell. Well, Harlow, now the whole world knows you're welcome, and so getting to learn about TRANSI identity and just so many things I would never know about is super awesome and I love getting to learn that stuff. I think gender expression and sexuality is super duper interesting, and I wish it wasn't as taboo to discuss because I just want to ask questions and learn everything that I can live in a household that isn't against but also again a slightly taboo with that kind of stuff, so I can't really get books about it or learn and the means I would like to. So your stories are super helpful and educational. I'm really really glad to hear that. Thank you for saying that.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Again, what I was mainly writing this email for now specifically, is the Book of Bill is out, and I was wondering if you guys were going to cover an episode on it. I'm writing this now because I've always had so much to say and I always wanted the chance to be featured in an episode. It's totally fine if I'm not, but you know, a girl can dream yeah, you won't be Yeah, dream on kid. I got my copy and a few days ago, and I'm currently reading and trying to decode things along the way. I've been having a blast. This book is wild, and I would love to hear all the things you guys have found and have to say about it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, this email got so long again. I just had so many things to say. I love your podcast so so much, and I hope you guys are all doing well. Have a great day, and thanks for taking the time to read all of this with Harlow. Thank you very much Arloe for sending that so it's it seems the question of the ac ues. I guess there's something called the Book of Bill. I don't. I don't know what that is, never heard of it. I guess we should apparently we should talk about it. I just feel I don't know. I feel underqualified, you know, I don't. I don't. I don't really feel like I have the authority to to really speak on it. Do we know anyone who does?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Are you asking if we know the Bill Cipher?
Speaker 15: I guess fundamentally, like I guess, nothing summoning a demon can't fix in my experience, which is to say, the next episode of our podcast, Mister Shack look Back number fifty four, Book of Bill will guest star Bill Ceipher himself, Alex Hirsh and Alex Hirsh himself, Bill Ceipher.
Speaker 2: I always love to return to a podcast.
Speaker 17: I feel great in front of a microphone, a touch too an adopter, or touch to a laptop with audactity.
Speaker 2: More on that later, as they say, thank you so much. HK also known as that GF fan for joining us today. I know, you know, our brands have kind of been intertwined for a bit, so it was wonderful having you on to talk about your area of expertise. If the people want to find you, what have you got going on and where? Oh, thank you so much, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: It was really great to be part of this. Like, like I said, like the podcast has been something I've followed along for a while now and I'm really happy to see it come back, and I'm glad to have been part of this for the first episode back.
Speaker 1: So long we have passed parallel to each other like ships in the night, but now we collide like a deadly shipwreck in the middle of the ocean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, I was like, I'm really glad to have been part of this. I'm glad I could help share anything that I knew here to help the podcast. Like in terms of explaining things that happened throughout this whole crazy to release of the Vinyl Life, thank you so much, no problem, I think at the end of the day, like despite the craziness of just how the release happened, like, I'm glad we ended up getting it and it's finally over and we can just get to enjoying all the songs that I created. But yeah, in terms of what I'm up to next, I got a couple of more projects in the works. I recently released a video about more obscure references and e stikes to Gravity Falls and lesser known media. A video on how some good friends of mine managed to find the actual image used in the Gravity Falls logo through some next level geo guessing and Internet saluting, which was funny enough, originally going to be a video about how the search was for that logo image and what our best leads at the time were. But then, but then shadow to my buddy Trick and GF, he managed to find the image on a texture site of all places, and also shout out to my friends Alex m and Fried Orios, who then with his help, were able to find the location of the image, which was in a small French town in the Pyrenees mountain range, which is pretty cool. And the image it self dates back to two thousand and seven, which is just incredible, which is just I'm amazed at how they were able to do that. It was just amazing to see all that happen. So there's that video, and I also have a upcoming video. It's a bit of a top secret project, but it's an interview I had with a pretty well known member of the Gravity Falls art community. We're still working things out on that end, but we hope to have the video out soon and I'm really excited about that interview. It's amazing look into a great member of the fandom who created some amazing art that we all enjoy. And that's gonna be really fun to talk about when that happens.
Speaker 1: See, that's what I love particularly about your work and your content is that you get really into the granular stuff that people would otherwise take for granted. But there's like always with a show like Gravity Falls, with so many details there's always something interesting about every little aspect, thank you.
Speaker 2: Right, because it's not just a show Alex Hirsch made to mess with us. There's a whole team of people and like, not every person on the Gravity Falls crew knows all information about Gravity Falls. Yeah, exactly, people on the crew that just were too busy or whatever to have heard the demos that we just leaked, which you're also going to be sharing on your YouTube with lyrics on, which will be out now well the same day as this video, so go check that out.
Speaker 4: That's the thing I love about Arriety Falls in terms of like this more niche aspect of information because like, of course everybody talks about the codes and you know, the theories about Bill and what's going on there. But it's these more lesser talked about aspects of the show that I feel are where the great stories are still to be told and that's what I love. Like, for example, the recent one with the buffalo, like that whole story was quite an interesting. Yes, thank you, I'm still surprised that all the rabbit hole that was.
Speaker 1: If you want to find more episodes of this podcast, head on down to our host network pipe dreampodcast dot com. You can also find other shows hosted through them, like Escape from Walt Disney, How Did This Not Get Made? Come on for Houqua Pods and pod Made You Special.
Speaker 2: There's also a new TikTok account for how Did This Not Get Made, which is fantastic, So I highly recommend you follow.
Speaker 1: And you can also find you know a bunch of links to our social medias. We've got a Twitter and Instagram, a Discord server, and our Patreon, Patreon, dot com slash mystery Shack, big.
Speaker 2: Big announcement coming up there soon. Stay tuned on this feed because a book of Bill might take a bit, but there's something in the interim interim and that's tough to have a pod. Thank you to Alex Hirsch for voicing stand in the Hall of Conspiracies intro. That is wild that that is a thing that is in our podcast. Thank you to Brian Brian for making the instrumental to our theme song. The Hall of Conspiracies theme is Lentil Dentist, a remix of our first episode by sim and the dimbleb V two hyphen zero. There is a full song with lyrics and everything. There's a link to that in the description.
Speaker 1: Love that that's stuck. I love that we still used that. I mean, I wouldn't want it any other way, but it's so funny.
Speaker 2: Adam, thanks for unwetting our whistles so that we could then reverse them for use in a song.
Speaker 1: For this podcast. The theme song is actually one that I've written. You can find it at Elichazi bandcamp dot com. You can also find me at Drawn without ref on the social media's We also me and my friend Hope Lickner we do another podcast called The Matrix Reclamations where we talk all about the Matrix from a transfem perspective. I'm not sure if this episode will be out by then, but we're gonna have Charlie on our next episode. And another thing I got going on that I just wanted to plug is that I'm working on a big collaborative zine for the fiftieth anniversary of my favorite film, Phantom of the Paradise. It's called Not Just Songs, a Anniversary Tribute to Phantom of the Paradise or some long winded title like that. So I'll just link that in the description because that's going to be out on Halloween, up for pre order, and you can get it online and it's all gonna be going to charity that we're going to figure out who it's going to, and stuff of that nature. A bunch of artists all collaborating and tribute to this weird, freaking movie, So please go check that out as well. And my lovely co hosts, what would what would y'all like to plug?
Speaker 3: Yes, you can find me as at Shelby Sessler on just about every platform, I believe, TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, and then I want to plug the epic crossover medley with Calamity Music. That's Gravity fallas the Amphibia and owl House. It's like an hour and eight minutes of just incredible music. So if you haven't heard that, I voiced the Collector in it, my friend Timota Sauce is in it, and my friend j Foley's in it. It's pretty great.
Speaker 2: I'm Charlie. If you're hearing this, I just hit one hundred thousand subscribers.
Speaker 1: People's not nice.
Speaker 2: I'm on YouTube. You can type in Charliemarlow YouTube dot com slash Charlie Marlows. That's c h a r l e y. It's the feminine spelling M A R l O W E. You can remember it's seven letters. Seven letters, so if there's not seven letters, you did something wrong and you should be ashamed. Or you could look up Charlie the Pirate Vedy on YouTube. That's they and then a d y like lady. And if you spell my name wrong, YouTube will still bring you to my channel. As a matter of fact, my name is spelled wrong is an autocomplete for when you type in that. I do a bunch of gravity Falls content with a wonderful director named Shelby Secler. I am working on an entire audio book of the Book of Bill that's gonna take I don't know, probably like an eternity.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, maybe just one attorney. Maybe if we're lucky, it'll take half an eternity, but I'm banking on one attorney.
Speaker 2: My current estimate is a year, but I have a couple of previews of that up. I also have a stupid little passion project that is not gonna ever make headlines, but is the quickest way to get to know me as a person. It is called Well a Me Princess, and as the title implies, it is an abridged series of the Zelda cartoon and it is also an act of gender expression. I voice the they them non binary link and the transfem Zelda of my first female role, which I was super nervous about. Ella helps write it. Shelby voices at least two major characters in it. It's my pride and joy and bread and butter.
Speaker 1: Charlie and Shelby. Actually, would I know we you know, we got down here in the Hall of conspiracies. If you're actually able to just walk HK out, I can. I can just stay here in front of the microphone and play the normal outro song right in front of I have Mike leilely herol.
Speaker 3: Okay, see you later.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thanks you all, thanks HK, thanks for coming. All right, see you thanks all right. Right now they're gone, and I can play one of the classics Boo seven and nineties the night all right, time to groove till the morning lights, your bell, bottoms on, your hair on furls. You are the disco girl. Everyone gas when you hit the scene. Who she people saying, oor funky queen. It's me spinning around like a disco ball. Who's the honey, Who's got it all? Disco girl coming through?
Speaker 3: That girl is you.
Speaker 1: It's the year nineteen seventy two, and that girl is you. You can sing, you can Shamer loves on the menu and discos for den at Disco.
Speaker 5: Girl coming through. That girl is you, She's got sa from.
Speaker 1: Milesand and my house Disco will outlast on musical styles.
Speaker 5: Disco girl so wild and true. That girl is you boo strutting down the abb and new.
Speaker 1: That girl is you are your revision application, his under review, and that girl is You?
Speaker 3: So much to do to get ready for the big ja.
Speaker 20: I can't believe you're agreed to take my friend in marriage.
Speaker 10: I can't believe it's already been ten years since you met on that cliff outside Handwich.
Speaker 20: And a lifetime to go. I'm named flattered hiker with nice but well for you, I'm pretty sure I'm like immortal or something. It's gotta suck for.
Speaker 5: Me in like fifty years anyway.
Speaker 3: I want to make sure.
Speaker 20: I'm not forgetting any necessary wedding invites.
Speaker 3: Can we read off our guest list?
Speaker 11: I found a list of names.
Speaker 2: That's probably it, right.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine what else he could be.
Speaker 18: All right, very but a monkey.
Speaker 20: Said Chris Saskia Diiff Sykes, op Trick's Age of Elijah, Samantha anglic Easy snake of it. I see what they did there, Karma Rich Roll, Sidon, Jesse, Marie Joggle.
Speaker 10: Adam with two Eggs.
Speaker 11: A D and that, Delphine Dussi, vanilaan Zucker, Oh Davis, Elizabeth Newan.
Speaker 20: Felt, Matina Dean Wombletina.
Speaker 11: Elizabeth Clark.
Speaker 2: That's two, Elizabeth, Jamie Brownce.
Speaker 11: Richard Scanlon, Joseph Jones, Christy Overton, Junior bra pd Piranha Plant Hey, Daddy Driftwood, Daddy buttons went right, David, cancel your sellin Friendly Local Geek, what more ing Miss Zendrica, Ryan Stamer, Spencer, Neil Campbell.
Speaker 20: Wrights, Lavender and Josh Sky Don't now it's all that's so ridiculous.
Speaker 10: Oh wait, my bad. This isn't our guest list. This is the people who pledge to Mystery Shack look back on Patrioch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, us make extra work for ourselves.
Speaker 20: Let's just invite the ball anyway. They sound delightful.
Speaker 10: Score your seat at our reception at patreon dot com.
Speaker 2: Slash mystery Shack
Speaker 17: As a