Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: These protests, but last night was only a one torch car night as opposed to a five torch car.
Speaker 3: Night from Sunday, So maybe it's getting better.
Speaker 2: Although the number of arrests was up last night compared to the night before, this is.
Speaker 1: So small compared to other protests that we have covered.
Speaker 4: In Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: This is such pageantry for all of the nation to see, and that is exactly what it is. More deployment of National Guard members and Marines get a cost, by the way, one hundred and thirty four million dollars the Defense Department came out with today, one hundred and thirty four million dollars. I think where that could go. Well, we could play that game all day, couldn't we. But this is something that the LAPD and the Sheriff's Department and the CHP know how to handle, and it's nowhere near what they have handled in the past.
Speaker 2: There's what The one thing that I think is different this time is that it's ongoing.
Speaker 3: It's been four nights now they're looking for a fifth.
Speaker 1: It's but what's been ongoing a group of a couple dozen people that come on.
Speaker 2: What I don't understand is they're they're totally playing into if if Trump says the l A p D can't handle it or the Sheriff's Department of c HP they can't handle it. So we're going to send in the federal troops to to take care of the rioters and the looters, and then people come out and riot and loot. What is what's the end game for those people? But what's the endgame for somebody who shows up not at noon at Grand Park to uh.
Speaker 1: I can't control the people. I can't control the agitators. I can't control the people that that. I can't control anybody. But I I don't want to worry about those people because they're not the adults in the room. The adults in the room should know better. I mean, this is leave the leave the person personalities and the politics aside. This is a big deal to send in the National Guard without a governor's okay, leave aside, it's Gavin Newsom, leave aside, it's Trump. Sixty years, this hasn't happened. It's not normal. It is for the political pageantry of it all on both sides. And the last time the National Guard was called in and the Marines were called in were the riots of nineteen ninety two. Widespread, wide spread city on fire, sixty three people killed.
Speaker 4: That assaults ourson. We don't need to relive that.
Speaker 1: You've all seen the documentaries if you weren't here for it. It was a city wide mess, and it wasn't just two blocks downtown, it was everywhere. Now, there was another occasion I read about this morning. In nineteen ninety two LAPD officers and the Marines were called to respond to a domestic disturbance at a local home. It's not just the pageantry that I'm worried about. It's the fact that these are two different entities, agencies trained differently, different protocols. When you have multiple agencies together, problems happen. There's a reason why there is a big dog and pony show at every press conference where all the agencies congratulate each other.
Speaker 4: When they actually work well together, it's rare. They weren't even on the.
Speaker 1: Same radio frequencies, and that was on display on nine to eleven. So I just really quick what happened in nineteen ninety two, when the LAPD officers and the Marines were called to that disturbance at a local home. When they arrived, a shotgun was fired out the front door, and a police officer yelled cover me. To the police, that means prepare to shoot if necessary, but to hold your fire. For Marines mean cover me means open fire, use firepower. The Marines shot more than two hundred bullets instantly as a response to that command, and three children were killed inside. And then they left and they haven't been back since.
Speaker 2: Chief McDonald did make a point about that last night in the news conference of adding a federal layer to this, on top of the LAPD and the Sheriff's department in the HP only makes it more confused.
Speaker 5: The introduction of a federal military personnel without direct coordination creates logistical challenges and risks confusion during critical incidents.
Speaker 2: Because I mean exactly to your point that this unit of the Marine Corps that's supposedly on its way or here in LA I haven't seen any images I have here, but it.
Speaker 4: Just crossed the wire.
Speaker 1: A military convoy stopped on the ninety one at Weir Canyon Road. Unclear if this is what the Marines might be them.
Speaker 2: So this second Battalion, seventh Marines are supposed to come in and support the National Guard units that are already here and have been placed under federal command, and their job to protect federal personnel and buildings. They are not unless something goes really wrong. They're not standing shoulder to shoulder with LAPD on a a skirmish line, pushing people back across Alameda Street or anything like that. They're there to protect the federal buildings, whether it's over in Westwood or right downtown at the roy Ball Building.
Speaker 3: That's what their job is.
Speaker 2: And there the Pentagon has to specifically spell out what their orders are. And along those lines, the Marine Corps, who is world renowned for killing bad guys and breaking stuff, that's what they do.
Speaker 3: Their job is to protect stuff right now, So.
Speaker 2: There are literal cards that are going to be handed out to these Marines that explains to them what their orders are while they're here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: I'm for I.
Speaker 2: Said yesterday that I never thought it was going to come to this, that I never thought we would see US Marines boots on the ground in downtown line.
Speaker 1: I don't think that President Trump understands the gravity of what that means. I think he likes the idea. I think he likes the pageantry. It goes back to his military school days. It's ramping up to his birthday parade for a seventy ninth birthday next week, where it's gonna be the Kim Jong Un Show in Washington. I mean, all of this is very much a show, and he is a show min Unfortunately, because of the things we've just laid out, there is the potential for this to go very wrong. And I'm not talking about the protesters acting up. I'm talking about there being communication problems between all of these agencies, and the protocols and the way to handle things.
Speaker 3: And the precedent that this would set.
Speaker 1: And well, yeah, I don't think that this would happen with another president.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think they'd be like well Trump said in the National Guard in the Marines back in twenty twenty five, I don't.
Speaker 4: Think it would, you know, I think it's very different.
Speaker 1: I think that I don't think there's any precedents being set with this administration in terms of charting new territory that other people will follow suit on.
Speaker 2: Well, there's this. There's a lot going on. We do expect Mayor Bass to have a news conference. I believe it about ten o'clock our time, and we're going to listen in live to that. Michael Monks has been covering the story for KFI News. He'll join us a little later in the show as well.
Speaker 1: There's something going on because everyone on Twitter and all the social media, they're amplifying this. People who have no idea about Los Angeles. LA is covered in protesters. Okay, it's a couple dozen people downtown from time to time in two square blocks whatever.
Speaker 4: But there's this other.
Speaker 1: Thing going on where everyone's getting all up in arms about the Mexican flags.
Speaker 4: Listen, this is a Los Angeles thing.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean we don't love America. A lot of us, a lot of people here came from Mexico. That's just the way it is. And a lot of people here love Mexico and love the United States, and we have all made peace with it. It's all copasetic here. But suddenly on Twitter it's look at these people in their Mexican flags, and as somebody who is white as the day is long and did not grow up in last angels, but it's been here for a couple decades. I take umbrage to that. It pisses me off.
Speaker 2: Well, it's also, I think, to your point, it's not new exactly, La. It's not new. Welcome to La. This is what we've done. We show the people saying, oh, the.
Speaker 4: Democrats are doing no good.
Speaker 1: They're not doing themselves any favors flying the Mexican flags. Getto come on, you know what else isn't doing any good. Honestly, when I listened to the John Cobell interview yesterday with Tom Homan, when John says and hands him the freaking melon sized softball over the plate, Hey, you're not coming in and resting people's nannies, right, that's not what this is about. And Tom Homan goes, wow, f them too, essentially like that, you're not doing yourself any favors On that side of the argument, I mean, he didn't say f them too, but he said, no, if you're if you're here illegally, you have a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you go back. Basically, we'll pay you.
Speaker 1: That thousand dollars to get back home, what have you. That's not that's not helping the conversation either, right, well.
Speaker 3: There's more a lot more to this.
Speaker 5: Obviously, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: We are awaiting a press conference from the mayor coming up in just about a half an hour.
Speaker 2: So they moved it to about ten thirty is what we're looking at now.
Speaker 1: Well, that was nice of them because it wasn't going to start at ten anyway, so it's nice that they went ahead and officially moved it.
Speaker 4: These things usually run a little bit late.
Speaker 1: There was a masked group of individuals seen hanging out riot gear to protesters yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw this.
Speaker 2: Fox eleven I think was the original TV station that showed this, and they were handing out some masks specifically that I saw.
Speaker 4: And riot shields and gas masks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the masks are they're not as advanced as you might think. They're shields over your face. And they say that I remember what the bionic shield, bionic shield.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Therefore, autobody shops, if you're working for metals and sparks and things like that, that's to protect your face. The very simple question is who the f is doing that?
Speaker 1: Well, their law enforcement shield. Law enforcement wears those from time to time.
Speaker 2: Yes, but there are different ballistic and higher end these were like twenty five thirty five.
Speaker 4: Gets set together, two hands that stuff out.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: There's plenty of coverage, there's plenty of opportunity for them to find who did that, and that I'm not I'm not sure what law they would break, but I'm sure there's plenty of them that they could get them for. And they are stupid enough to drive into a crowd like that, into a I think it was a Tacoma Toyota, Tacoma pickup truck and pass that stuff out with their license plate showing. So you can imagine that they will be able to pick up some of those people.
Speaker 1: The DA's office Nathan Hawkman says that he and other prosecutors are going to be going through social media video to find violent protesters to bring them to justice. There's been a lot of call for people not to wear masks protesting that it's illegal, and we saw a lot of that even before COVID. Think about the May Day protests of years prior, where people use bandanas as masks and things like that. I would totally put a mask on if I was protesting because of the effective tear gas or anything else they're going to shoot out, Like I can understand it's frustrating, but I can understand why you would want to have a mask in the event if something like that happened.
Speaker 2: But outside of a gas mask, a little surgical mask or a little bandana is not going to prevent the symptom, not.
Speaker 3: Going to invent.
Speaker 4: It's a psychosomatic thing.
Speaker 1: If I'm not breathing it in, I think that it's I'm faring better.
Speaker 2: Last night, multiple people arrested after break ins at several stores downtown, the Adida Store, there was an Apple store that was looted, the Shoe Palace, a CVS.
Speaker 3: And a marijuana to just Rea Pharmacy jewelry store.
Speaker 1: It just like politicians will let no crisis, not that this is a crisis, but will let no issue go unused. Criminals will let no crisis go unused as well. Where there's going to be protesters, always going to be looting, and the looters have nothing to do with the messaging. Usually usually, but we've seen it in every protest, especially up in Portland and during the George Floyd protests. Remember that that looting was extensive, and I listen.
Speaker 3: I said it yesterday.
Speaker 2: This is one of the things that Trump campaigned on was He's not going to allow our cities to turn into what Portland became in the summer of twenty twenty, which was consistent night after night, it went on for weeks in a couple of months, the ongoing clashes between at the time there were you know, they're protecting the federal building in Portland.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's the conversation to have, right It's like, on one hand, it is this is overkill. There's no way we need the National Guard, let alone the Marines coming in.
Speaker 4: We've got this.
Speaker 1: But on the other hand, if you're going to have the whole conversation, it's, well, he doesn't want it to get to the level where you do need the National Guard. You see a smaller issue, you want to squash it right away so it doesn't become a bigger issue. I understand that if you want to have a zero tolerance policy for any sort of protesting in America, that's another part.
Speaker 4: Of the conversation to have.
Speaker 1: If you have a zero tolerance policy for anybody in the streets, even when things go a little bit awry in.
Speaker 4: The scope of things.
Speaker 1: Things went awry, but it was only a little bit in the grand scheme of protests in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we were talking yesterday about there's got to be a hard line. One thing happens, whatever that is, a car has torched, a window is broken, a water bottle is lobbed at the police officer or something that one line is.
Speaker 1: Crossed, but everybody gets cleared off the street. Thing is is we're built on doing that kind of stuff. The whole country's built on that. On what what do you mean I'm protesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not not assaulting officers. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Is that's a line.
Speaker 1: That's a line, right, that's a broken window, setting a fire. Go back to the freaking tea party, you know what I mean? Like all of this with you start assaulting officers. Yes, it gets violent, even between officers and protesters, Yes, but the line cannot be something that comes with a protest when it comes to a broken window.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where I think this has to be established clearly from the beginning.
Speaker 3: There should be an acknowledgment.
Speaker 2: Everybody should know that if you do the thing, whatever that thing is, it's over and everybody's going to be cleared off the streets of LA. There are questions about, by the way, what the Marine Corps is going to do, how it what it can do.
Speaker 3: We'll talk that.
Speaker 2: Pete Heggsuff was actually on Capitol Hill today answering questions from Congress about some of this.
Speaker 3: So that's coming up.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: A lot going on on this Tuesday, June tenth. President Trump is actually speaking from the Oval Office right now. He was there with some Cabinet members and they were discussing wildfires as we get into the warmer season around the country. Of course, there were questions about the authorization of the more National Guard and the Marines that are coming to California are coming to Los Angeles specifically.
Speaker 6: When I see people the kind of people that I saw on your network doing danger to the police and to the military and to the National Guard. Now it's okay, you know, you running out of people when you have two thousand people. From this National Guard standpoint, we have a very big military, but the National Guard they needed a little extra help, and we said to them, and we did a great job. Last night.
Speaker 3: We had well a lot of.
Speaker 6: Cars go up in smoke and plant and a lot of bad scenes, but it was pretty minor by comparison.
Speaker 3: This morning, it's very calm.
Speaker 6: We'll see what happens later, but they know if they go there, they're not going to get anywhere because we have the national that we backed it up with a number of Marinesia.
Speaker 1: The one thing about the oversaturation of amateur citizen reporters and things is nothing goes unnoticed. There used to be protests or really anything that reached national news where you didn't really get the whole story. People lied to you, police lied to you, Politicians lied to you about what was truly happening. At least with the advent of cell phones and cameras in everyone's pocket, we're hearing about everything. If something crazy happened with someone assaulting an officer, we're going.
Speaker 4: To see it on social media.
Speaker 1: When a cops rubber bullet hits the Australian reporter, we're going to see it. When somebody torches a way MO car. We see all of this thing because so many people have armed themselves with their phones and are documenting all of it in real time.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm curious what he the President is seeing though, because he's talking about the National Guard doing a great job, which they have been defending the detention center there, which has been the scene of a handful of skirmishes, and there were people out there last night, obviously, But it's not the National Guard, that's clear it.
Speaker 4: If I've learned one thing from George W.
Speaker 1: Bush, it's if you appoint someone to do a job and they go and do it, you say you're doing a great job, because it's a reflection of you.
Speaker 2: Even if they're not the ones that are actively repelling protesters, looters, and writers.
Speaker 1: Well, the way that Trump looks at it, he probably thinks those are Newsome's LAPD officers and that the National Guard troops are his troops, So his troops are doing a much better job.
Speaker 2: About seventeen hundred members of the California Army National Guards seventy ninth Infantry Brigade Combat Team, or the one that are here in la but also in Paramount and Compton that second Battalion, seventh Marines would be, are the ones that are coming in to support the soldiers have been placed under federal command in order to protect federal personnel and buildings according to According to Northcom, now the Pentagon has to come up with rules for engagement for lack of a better term, what is it that these marines are going to be doing now? Obviously if they're in an overseas war zone, it's very different. They have to be guided by standing rules for the use of force on American soil that are established and approved by Northern Command. One United States official even indicated that each of the Marines that would be deployed the seven hundred or so would receive a card that outlines what they could and could not can and cannot do.
Speaker 4: What kind of cards are going to have these orders, garry or the index cards?
Speaker 3: Is that what they do? They check your index card for your orders.
Speaker 4: Guys, check your index cards for your orders?
Speaker 5: You school wing nut idiot.
Speaker 2: Yes, north Com says each marine will receive a card that outlines what they can and cannot do. Things like use of force warning shots would be prohibited. Marines are first instructed to de escalate, which they have received training and doing, but they are permitted to act in self defense. The Pentagon is also developing rules for protecting federal personnel, federal property, and for potential detaining civilians if they ever come under assault. So, yes, those rules are going to be deployed to I guess is the right term.
Speaker 3: How comes the individual marine?
Speaker 4: How come when I call you those names you don't chuckle like that.
Speaker 2: Because you don't do it with the passion that I wish that you really lead into it alone. I always say, with kind of a sly smile, you call me an f and numb skull.
Speaker 3: No, that was another one that I had to delete.
Speaker 4: But what was What was the other word?
Speaker 3: It was the R word?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all right, Well coming up next, As I mentioned, the president has a big birthday celebration with a military parade set for this weekend. In conjunction with that, or to protest that, there are several protests planned around the country no Kings, protests declaring that we will not be a land where a king like Trump will rule. What could go wrong?
Speaker 3: What could go wrong?
Speaker 1: Maybe it'll be nothing. You thought the Marines weren't coming in. I thought the kids were going to march out of the schools. Listen, we're in uncharted territory. Everything you knew, throw it out the windows, New world order here, that's right, Yes, you're listening.
Speaker 5: To Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned saying that Diddy's favorite show was you want to make a guess on what Diddy's favorite.
Speaker 2: Real Housewives of Mormonville or whatever that means.
Speaker 1: No, but you're not totally far off. It's one of all of our favorite shows, Dateline. And if I ever get murdered, I will be so pissed if it's not Keith Morrison. Now I celebrate the whole lineup of Dateline. I think they all do a great job. But if I don't have Keith Morrison, Keith Morrison, I will be real pissed. I'm coming back to haunt whoever made that decision unless it's Keith Morrison.
Speaker 3: Couldn't quite put up with that mouth.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'll say to my husband, like, come on, we'd get Keith Morrison, right.
Speaker 3: We'd qualify for Keith Morrison. Come on.
Speaker 2: There was a body last night, by the way, a death investigation underway after a man's body found on a sidewalk downtown LA, which has been right in that same area of the protests and the lootings they were called to. Police were called to the area West third and Broadway just after about one thirty, they said they found an unresponsive man. I guess a T mobile store right there in that intersection had been looted earlier in the night, but they're not sure if this had anything to do with that.
Speaker 4: Who wants to loot at tea Mobiles?
Speaker 2: And we've also obviously been talking about the ongoing standoff between the White House and Governor Newsom, the order to deploy seven hundred active duty Marines that are apparently on their way to LA two thousand additional National Guard troops. There was also a discussion a lot of people have been complaining that if, excuse me, if the President so hip on deploying National Guard units to LA, why weren't national Guard units deployed during January sixth? There were hundreds of National Guard units in and around the Capitol before the January sixth riots took place. It was the DC leadership that called for them at the time. It wasn't President Trump, so obviously he didn't go around the mayor of DC at the time. But there were National Guard troops on the ground there on January sixth, twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: I can't even remember.
Speaker 2: I just say January sixth, I guess it was twenty twenty one as opposed to twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, twenty Yes, I did the math. I'm okay with math.
Speaker 4: I'm right there with you. Listen, it's been We've got there's been a lot of things that have happened.
Speaker 2: There's a lot, there is a So the other thing is the two hundred and fifty two hundred and fiftieth birthday slash anniversary, whatever you want to call it of the Army is on June fourteenth. You know what else is June fourteenth, President Trump's birthday. So they're doing a huge military celebration to honor the two hundred and fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 3: It's a weird way to say it.
Speaker 2: Of the army, and it's Trump's birthday, So he's gonna he's gonna play that up pretty well.
Speaker 1: This isn't just an air show we've all delighted in. This is a rolling of the tanks through this streets of DC. Uh just logistics alone. What does that do to the streets?
Speaker 2: Well, the military, the Army has said they're covering it like they got it.
Speaker 3: They know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: It's not really as if a tank is going straight it's probably not a big deal, but if a tank has to make a ninety degree turn on those intersections, it could easily tear up and destroy whatever asphalt is there.
Speaker 4: Picture our streets, but worse.
Speaker 2: They're all it's all going to look like I five through Burbank pretty soon. Yeah, but the military says they have plans they're putting iron steel plates down on some of those places.
Speaker 1: So I mean, just in terms of like aging infrastructure and in streets and like that, it's it's it's it's even worse in DC.
Speaker 2: There are also no kings protests that are being planned for Saturday, that were being planned before what we've seen the last few days here in LA. But you can imagine it's probably going to pick up some speed before June fourteenth.
Speaker 4: The crows up with the names of these things.
Speaker 3: I don't know pr firms.
Speaker 2: One of the co founders of one of these groups, you don't need to know his name or the name of the group, said the goal of the protest is to send a message that the United States has no kings. Duh. He this is again the guy referring to President Trump. He is planning your role tanks through the streets of DC in celebration of his birthday. And that's the thing you normally see or wouldn't see in a constitutional republic, certainly not America. Well, to be clear again, yes, he's going to take advantage of the fact that it's his birthday. Plans were made long before Trump was elected president again for this to be a celebration for the army.
Speaker 1: Remember when we got the fire weather forecast before the big fires and the Palisades and Altadena broke out, and we sat here and we could feel the urgency and the horror that was to come.
Speaker 4: Just getting the forecast alone, we could feel it.
Speaker 1: There have been times when we could feel the temperature of the country ratcheting up or the city ratching it up. May Day two thousand and six, you could feel the momentum of the movement almost.
Speaker 4: I'm not feeling that here.
Speaker 1: It's only Tuesday, but I'm not feeling the momentum of there being huge counter protests to Trump's birthday this weekend. Yet it is Tuesday, like I said, but I'm just not feeling it yet. This still seems to me to be a little weak stream. This no Kings protest.
Speaker 2: I hope you're right, I do too, all right more when we come back.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app