Speaker 1: It is eight oh five here Kentucky, and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas we've got Mayor Craig Greenberg set to join us at eight forty five. He'll be joining us via phone out in studio as he is he's in Omaha for the College World series, but he's going to be making announcement sharing some special news that I think if you're a lois a fan, you want to you want to stick around.
Speaker 2: And again, I'm.
Speaker 1: Of the belief that this will be news that fans will be excited to hear, happy to hear. But I could be wrong. I don't think I'm wrong, but we shall see only over only Tom will tell. I don't know if I would say that, okay, I don't know if I would say long overdue, but I would say makes total sense. Yeah, I'm I'm all for it as a Louisville fan myself. But again, we'll let you guys hear what that is. Coming up at about eight forty five. Coming up at eight thirty, we'll be joined by Rory O'Neil to get the latest on the Iran and Israel war. I mean, that's that's essentially what we've got here. And obviously yesterday Donald Trump ended up leaving early at the at the g seventh summit that was in Alberta, but he flew home early because of what's going on in the Middle East. That's according to his press secretary. So not only are are we seeing folks monitoring what's going on between those two, but the reaction, if any, from President Trump in the United States. That's what a lot of people are keeping up with. So Rory of NBC News Roy O'Neil, I should say, I mean, I know Rory. I've got him on a first name basis. You hear that name dropped there. Rory O'Neill, the prestigious roy O'Neil of NBC News. He's set to join us coming up at eight thirty. Will also see what he can tell us on the latest. As far as Vance Bolter, that is, the suspect in the shooting that killed the Minnesota state legislator and her husband and wounded two others. He was in court yesterday. He's now facing federal charges. So that's not a real surprise, but it sounds as if there's more details coming out in regards to.
Speaker 2: A potent.
Speaker 1: I mean, we know it sounds like we have a good idea of what his motives were, but we're now learning more about I guess what he was doing leading up to this, and maybe what he was doing while he was able to avoid being captured for a couple of days. So again, we'll get the latest on all that with Roordy O'Neil coming your way at eight thirty. Also something we've discussed this morning is the driver of the truck that caught on fire was hanging over the on ramp of the bridge. I mean, what a scary and crazy visual to see. But this guy, he's alive and he he never was at any point suffering from any life threatening injuries. But when you jump twenty feet from the cab of your truck, you can have some injuries, and that's what he's got, a broken leg, ankle, and foot, so he's going to have a long road to recovery. And his wife says that he's going to have to have surgery, which will obviously put him out of work. So it sounds like they have His wife went on to say that on the GoFundMe that they launched, that he's the sole provider and I don't know if the insurance. Maybe he doesn't have health insurance. I would imagine if he is driving a truck for somebody, then then there would be insurance on the vehicle. But obviously that's if you don't have health insurance and you've got those kind of injuries, those kind of those kind of that can add up. That's gonna be really expensive.
Speaker 2: Well, you were.
Speaker 3: Playing some audio from one of the truckers that called us, because we, of course were asking are we pushing truckers through school too soon? I would be interested if you have the app, use the talk back feature and let us know why would this guy not have insurance? And I'm sure there's a legitimate reason for I'm not doing I'm not this isn't a gotcha question.
Speaker 2: I'd be curious to know.
Speaker 3: To your point, Nick, because we talked off the air, I'm like, clearly he would have insurance on the truck. If he were driving, God forbid, he were to hit somebody, he would be covered. But as his wife said in the GoFundMe, they don't have insurance. So if you're a truck driver, are there a lot of truck drivers out there that are driving without insurance now like medical insurance. And that's a question I have for this gentleman.
Speaker 1: I've probably taken taken for granted that I've always been covered with health and insurance, whether it be from my parents when I was young to when I became an adult and got a job. And you know, not everybody's situation is the same. And if you are an independent contractor, you know, and you're jumping from gig to gig, you know, as far as your options with insurance, it could change. And I think if that's the case, then you would want to have an independent plan. But they that may not be doable for a lot of people, or you may have just had terrible luck where you were in between policies and whatnot and you just happen to not be covered. Soyeah, those costs can add up for sure. But yeah, just I'm telling you, the more I see of the social media posts from people who were near when this thing happened, it's it's.
Speaker 2: Wild and very lucky.
Speaker 1: He's alive, but still going to have some injuries to recover from. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather. Also, we've got sports coming your way in about fifteen minutes and forget eight forty five. Mayor Craig Greenberg going to call in from Omaha to share some special news with us right here Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty Whas.
Speaker 2: It is eight.
Speaker 1: Seventeen here at Kentucky and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you. Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden, and John Shannon. That's the crew, and we've got a guest coming up here. Reminder eight forty five, Mayor Craig Greenberg going to join us with some special news. Really looking forward to that. So again, eight forty five is when we expect to hear from him. Obviously, the ice raids going on across the country, that has been a big talking point and certainly a lot of folks feel very strongly about it. You've seen protests that took place, starting well in fact for weeks now, and then of course this past weekend, the No Kings rallies that were going on protest whatever you want to call them, demonstrations, protests. I mean, there's a lot of different ways to ward it however you want. We saw what was taking place in certain cities across the America. Across America, including right here in Louisville. But here are some numbers. According to the Washington Post, when it comes to the raids that have taken place and people being deported who are not here legally, it says that the US could lose more immigrants than it gains for the first time in fifty years. Again, that's according to the Washington Post. And I didn't if you quizzed me and asked me to guess a number, I would have been terrible. I wouldn't have had a clue what numbered, even ballpark it at. But nearly one million illegal immigrants have self deported under President Trump, according to WOW the New York Post. That to me seems like a lot. But again, I'm willing to admit I don't know what would be considered a lot would be considered few. But that is if it was me and I had a real feeling of threat that it would it wouldn't be done on my terms. It would just be being rounded up. And I've got family and whatnot. I mean, I think the obvious decision would be to self deport, and in doing that, you know you're gonna need some resources on your end to be able to make that happen. But it does sound like if that's the option you want to go, if you're willing to do that, they will, they'll help you. And I just think if you've got no control and you're seeing what's taking place across the country, I guess maybe it shouldn't be considered a surprise that a million have have decided to self deport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean to your point, if you see that, or sit and wait and see if Ice knocks at your door, because then they're gonna take you off. They're gonna they're not gonna lock you up, but they're certainly going to remove you from your home, take you to some lace else. You might as well just go on and head back.
Speaker 1: They may not, I mean, if you resist, I'm sure, yeah, and it's gonna be a different situation.
Speaker 2: So that's I didn't know the number was that high. That that's according to The New York Post.
Speaker 1: Also, one of the protesters in LA, one of those that was protesting.
Speaker 2: The ice raids, he has he's I guess.
Speaker 1: He's filing a lawsuit because he claims that he was hit by a rubber bullet and that rubber bullet shattered one of his testicles.
Speaker 2: Oh real story.
Speaker 1: Oh by the way, oh out, I mean you go out to protest, I should come back with this shattered testicle happens to the vestals out.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's interesting times.
Speaker 2: We're all squirming right now, aren't we just thinking about.
Speaker 3: You ever see that when you see it on TV? You see somebody you know, they take that certain hit. Oh, and you just you instantly feel.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Men across the world when they see it, there's a collective of crossing, the squirming, the legs.
Speaker 2: Of like, oh, I don't we've been there.
Speaker 1: I mean I've not been there as far as the level of this injury with the shattered testicle. But if you know, you know all right, We've got another news update coming your way here in about ten minutes. First it is traffic and weather and another sports update with Scott right here our news radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: It is eight forty six here consecutate.
Speaker 1: His morning news with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. And we have a special guest now joining us on the line. Mayor Craig Greenberg is with us. Good morning, Craig. I know you've got some special news to share and how you're.
Speaker 2: With I want to share, I'll give you the floor.
Speaker 4: Yes, now, I'm pleased to share it. Share it here first. Today is a huge day for U OFL fans. We're playing, obviously in the College World Series, and I'm so excited for this baseball team and coach Dan McDonald. And you know, I've been thinking a lot about U of L has made such a positive impact on my life. I know it's made a positive impact on so many people around the entire city. It's bigger than just sports. What it does for this city and today's success is built on the foundation of so many others. And so I'm thrilled that on June twenty eighth, at ten am, right down there in the sports in the whole, in the middle of on Floyd Street, by all of those sports things, we are going to honor Tom Jurich. The city and the U of L and partnership together are going to have a special recognition in honor of Tom Jurich, who was a fantastic athletic director who built much of the facilities that the university has played in today that are benefiting the entire city and is one of the key people who built a national program that Josh and his amazing team are growing and moving forward into the future today. And so I'm really excited to be able to honor Tom Jurich on June twenty eighth, and I wanted to let you and your listeners.
Speaker 2: Know first well, thank you so much. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Certainly big news, and I believe that this will be news that Louisville Cardinal fans are happy to hear, and they're going to be in support of this and happy that this is happening for Tom. Can you tell us a little bit about how this came together. I know you've had some recent conversations with Tom Jurich. I assume and hope that he's appreciative of this and excited.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Tom's really looking forward to this. I've known Tom for ten, probably fifteen years, and I've always admired him as not just the athletic director, but as a leader, as an individual who's someone who cared so much about the city. And you know, when you become mayor, there are lots of things that you want to do and you start working on them and looking for the right time to do certain things and it just felt like now was the right time to do that. Tom has made such contributions to the city. I'm very thrilled that U of L is supportive of this and participating with us in this recognition, and so really this is an opportunity for everybody who has benefited from Tom's contributions that he made to our city to recognize him in a really fun, unique way that we're going to do on the twenty eighth at ten am to people be invited to it as well. It's right there on Floyd Street, right by the softball stadium, by the playground. There, there's a little plaza that we're going to do an outdoor celebration and recognition for Tom at Louisville.
Speaker 1: Mayor Craig Greenberger is our guest joining us here on News Radio eight forty whas as the mayor of this city. Obviously, when sports are booming and going well, that's good for the economy, good for everybody in this city, Louisville athletically as far as I don't mean just the university, but just as the sports city that we are, I mean without Tom Jurich, it's hard hard to know if we'd be in the position we are as far as the University of Louisville being members of the ACC from your role, I mean, is it an exaggeration? Is it fair to say that you know his team, not him specifically. Obviously he had a lot to do with it, but that era, that was the Tom Jurich era at the University of Louisville. It's not uperbole to say that we'd have really no clue where athletics might be had it not been for the great, great tenure that he had.
Speaker 4: Right Tom's leadership built the foundation upon which Cardinal Athletics is thriving today. I mean, we are so fortunate. Josh is an amazing athletic director who I respect so much. I mean, what he is doing now with the program and the coaches that he has in place, the leadership navigating the whole nil and ever changing environment is incredibly impressive. And I'm so excited about the future of U of l athletics that, you know, just like me, building on the foundation of others who have come before me in my role in various city leadership roles. Tom's contributions with what got built during his time has been so helpful to the city When you think about. You know, the Young Center would not have been built without a relationship with U of L. And what that means not athletics, but to the entire downtown, to our entire city and honestly, state is so important. And each one of those you know, with stadiums or facilities that were built under Tom's leadership, has really made significant contributions to our city. It attracts people to visit our city, to spend money here, to drive the economy, and athletics are only becoming a larger part of our society and world, and we have a foundation upon which to build on.
Speaker 1: You're right, Josh Art has a lot of good momentum, good vibes right now over at the University of Louisville. This news, I think, only only continues that just good energy within the Louisville fan base. And I know a lot of Louisville fans will be excited to hear this. You got to tell me real quick, what's the vibes like in Omaha. Obviously a great come from behind victory on Sunday, and now they've got another day to continue this run in the College World Series.
Speaker 2: I know you're enjoying it. Being out there, what's it like.
Speaker 4: Well, actually I was only out there for Friday night, so I was back on Saturday, so I've been. I was just there for Game one on on Friday night, which we had a great half of an inning that was a lot of fun, but unfortunately the bottom of the night didn't work out well on Friday night. But Omaha is you know, it's their Kentucky Derby. The whole city is alive, the whole area surrounding the stadium is alive, with all the different schools enjoying themselves and celebrating them there. That's another great example of look, what building a world class sports venue in the case that I think it's called Charles Swabs Stadium or something, what that's done for the city. You know, so too have many of the pieces that U of L has built over the years, many of them under Tom Jorge's leadership, that have helped us build even more on top of that. But it was really unique and I'm so looking forward to tonight's game. And this is a great team with a phenomenal coach and it'd be fun to see him win tonight.
Speaker 2: Mary Greenberg, thank you for the time.
Speaker 1: Certainly some big News will continue to discuss this throughout the day here on news Radio wait forty whas.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Take care, if you have a great day, Go cards.
Speaker 2: Go cards.
Speaker 1: That's Mayor Greenberg with the big news there. So on June twenty eighth, the ten am down on campus, they're going to honor Tom Jurich. So certainly certainly big news that I will see. I would imagine the reaction from Louisville fans will be will be very positive, as I think a lot of Louisville fans myself included the era that was the Tom Jurich era was monumental and really us having what we have today, and as Mary Greenberg mentioned, Josh here do a phenomenal job and also still being able to kind of maintain what was established under Tom Jeriche. So that's the big news there, and a big thanks Tamara Greenberg for sharing that first here with us and Tony Dwight. They're coming up next right here on news Radio eight forty whis