Speaker 1: Warning the following podcast materials mature audience listener.
Speaker 2: This question is what's up?
Speaker 1: Welcome to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 2: I'm Ben and of course i'm Nicole, and that's our new intro.
Speaker 1: We're changing it up, changing it up, bo right into it.
Speaker 2: Yeap, new year, new things. We were a little bored of what we were doing before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it felt repetitive and it just felt stale. I don't like repetitive. Ye yeah, yeah, so stale bread. Were getting rid of the stale bread.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not certain we're sticking with this still, maybe have some.
Speaker 1: Other ideas, but yeah, for now, we can change it up whenever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which we're trying this on. Like you know, when you're like trying on a pair of shoes and you kind of like only stick it on one foot. You kind of walk around like the stool for a second. You're deciding, well, maybe I'll put it on the other foot. I do that, some people do. I see people do it all the time.
Speaker 1: I put both shoes on. You're both shoes fully in it, really fully in.
Speaker 2: It, but you do walk around the store.
Speaker 1: Still, yeah, maybe if each foot can be slightly different size.
Speaker 2: Well, see, I I've seen people go both the first, and I've seen people go single foot. I'm a single foot person because I will put one foot on and then I'll stand up and like try it. I won't really walk around, but I'll try it. If I like it with one foot, then.
Speaker 1: I'll put on your second second, No, I have to put I put both on for.
Speaker 2: Sure, really for sure?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Okay, that's funny. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you guys do? Are you a one foot shoe person or a two foot shoe tryer on or person?
Speaker 1: What a random conversation. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Wigan Ingram The Truth podcast, where we talk about shoes and cracked beer when we.
Speaker 1: Start, and how our backs are usually a bit sore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, usually, like that's all the time. That's just every day, all day, NonStop.
Speaker 1: Mines particularly sore because we got a ton of snow, so we were like shoveling a ton yesterday. Yeah, and I was pulling huskies out of snow banks today.
Speaker 2: Well, and for reference, I think we got between eight and ten inches of snow.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, yeah, like just under a foot really, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Then the week before that we got about the same amount so within a week we got almost two feet of snow.
Speaker 1: So I feel like I'm slightly buried in.
Speaker 2: Slightly we're buried. But it looks pretty.
Speaker 1: It does, yeah, very much, so it does. And and and we have some new patreons, patrons, patreons, I would say patreons, but patrons.
Speaker 2: We mess it last time.
Speaker 1: I think I think, I know we're just pretending we did. So if we thank you twice, that means you're just extras.
Speaker 2: You're just twice as awesome. Here we go, so our patrons we have to think, are you going to say it? Are you gonna attempt or I don't even have it out, so I've got to can pass it to you. Do you want to do it?
Speaker 1: Now? You're the king at it.
Speaker 2: I'm the king of it, the king of what just between you and me, it's either the king or the queen.
Speaker 1: Go for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, where did we stop last time?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I just told you it was Anna.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm gonna just say Hannah again, Hannah Courtail, thank you for being a patron. I'm pretty sure we already thanked you, but we're thanking you again.
Speaker 1: Because you just the third time.
Speaker 2: We think that probably. Uh, we got fabulous t T that's a fabulous name. Also we got Riba Barnes, Shannon Brown, Anna Peproski, Paproski I think okay, Anna Paproski, and Christine Scott. You guys are all absolutely incredible. Thank you for signing up a patron. We are coming out with a Patreon exclusive episode coming up amazing very soon, and it's it's a it's a doozy. Is it a do It's a doozy. It's your month, right, it's my month, motherfucker. Oh and it's a doozy, so cool, get locked and loaded for that. And we are gonna be kind of buckling down here very very soon and getting things a little more organized with the podcast because shit's been all over for months for us.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, well, I feel like it's slowing down slightly. There's like, well, every time I think that, though, something else happens. But nope, we're getting caught up. Life is going smooth. We're all good, yes.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna be worthwhile for all you guys signed up for Patreon. Thank you very much. And of course, if you don't know, exclusive episodes every month those all access Patreons, and we're going to be implementing ads very soon, so you can avoid those ads over on Patreon if you sign up.
Speaker 1: And we do other posts too, like I did what the hint for this one was on there? Actually didn't hint. I just told them I was too kind to them, So yeah, instead of doing that on Instagram, I didn't. They're the stems, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of behind the scenes sort of stuff. There's a video on there from Christmas of jacko. Oh yeah, Christmas reading.
Speaker 1: That was so fun. I love that. Actually, there's a lot.
Speaker 2: Of cool stuff over there. Head on over sign up. If not, it's totally cool. You can listen here. You're still awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, but holy moly, holy.
Speaker 2: A big old pot of macaroni.
Speaker 1: The case today, Like I just HiT's wild. It is wild, Like I can't make up this shit. Like it's nuts, just nuts. I'm just preparing everyone.
Speaker 2: It's just nuts. It's a big old bag of nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nuts, It's a sack of nuts.
Speaker 2: Get ready for today's episode. Represent to you a sack of nuts.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it's the case of Dennis Nilsen, and I don't I feel like quite a few people know him, but then a lot of people don't. I don't feel like he's super He's not like a super popular true crime case, but he should be because it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I know this case. I don't know very well, but I know the basics of this case.
Speaker 1: Wild.
Speaker 2: It's nuts, Okay. It's a big old beg of.
Speaker 1: Nuts, a beg old saka nuts.
Speaker 2: Dude, was it a sack or I thought it was a bag?
Speaker 1: Who knows? It's one of them. It's just it's just one of those.
Speaker 2: It's bananas. Shit is bananas. It's beat Okay, Sorry, I got like my add is just on fire.
Speaker 1: You're like really outgoing, and I feel like I'm kind of the opposite. So this is going to go well, I think, Okay, So Dennis the Dead Air Dennis was born on November twenty third, nineteen forty five, in fraser Borough, Scotland. Going over to Scotland, oh, I was like, did I already's pronounce something wrong or do something wrong? The way you looked at me to Scotland it looked so beautiful. So he was the second child, born of three children. Dennis's mother, Betty, was a religious Scottish woman, and his father, Lof, was a former Norwegian soldier. They married in nineteen forty two, but their marriage was not all sunshine and roses. Dennis's father was an alcoholic with very little interest in the family.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, which.
Speaker 1: Not great, and they would actually get a divorce in nineteen forty eight, with Dennis's father basically completely abandoning the family.
Speaker 2: Wow, deadbeat dad style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he had no interest.
Speaker 2: At first. I was like ohl Off, that's a dope name, and he's like doing cool shit. And now I'm just like ol Off. Yea douche.
Speaker 1: I knows he sucks. So Dennis's grandparents on his mother's side, especially his grandfather Andrew, played a huge role in Dennis's life. They were quite supportive of the divorce as they never actually had approved of Dennis's father, so they knew they knew something was up with that dude. Dennis would have fond memories of going on long walks with his grandfather as he carried him on his shoulders and shared stories with him as his time at sea. Andrew was a fisherman and when he was off at sea, Dennis would say his life would be empty until his grandfather returned home. Once again.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that's pretty fucking like adorable right there. I know that's heart melted.
Speaker 1: He just loves and his grandfather shared the same love, like they were like two peas.
Speaker 2: And like that's that's what you would expect, like a silhouette of like a grandpa and the sun, like walking on a beach in a photo in a basic white bitches houses his live left low above it come from? That's like what every every like?
Speaker 1: Oh the quote you mean? Oh okay? I thought I was picturing some some basic bees house in the background with that on their nose.
Speaker 2: Like it's a picture frame that someone picked up from like.
Speaker 1: From Winners or what's Michaels.
Speaker 2: What I'm thinking that? What's that one that you really like? That Barnes Place or something urban barn, urban barn, Barnes and Noble or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pottery barn, target, tar fucking tucking target. Okay. We had a target in Canada, more than one, a few, quite a few for quite a while in Canada actually a year, and then they all just close and I was heart broken.
Speaker 2: Do you know why they closed?
Speaker 1: Because didn't they bash us or something? Or they they made prices higher?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because they they came over. Sorry we're going off track here for a moment. When they came to Canada, they opened a ship ton of stores.
Speaker 1: With the Vengeance.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. And then when they are coming in, it was questioning, like a complete interview. They're like, oh, so you're like, you're going to drop your prices for like to a Canadian currency, and like the CEO was like, no, Canadians pay more, why would we do that? So then people just boy.
Speaker 1: Caught the store. Like it was never busy in there, and they always had so much stock, which is another reason I loved it. But they screwed up. Yeah, but oh well, okay, so yeah, we have that picture perfect of Dennis and his grandfather, and this is even more picture perfect. Dennis described him as his great hero and protector. Wow, Like, oh, however, it's always a fucking however.
Speaker 2: Yep, here we go.
Speaker 1: This would come to an end in nineteen fifty one when his grandfather's health would decline, and on October thirty, first Halloween, he was found drifting the North Sea dead from a heart attack at the age of sixty two. Oh shit, Dennis was only six. Okay, but the only thing that I do love about that because I feel like it's kind of peaceful. He died like probably doing something he loved, like drifting at sea. I mean, it could have been horrific and he might have needed help, but I don't know. I feel like, when you die.
Speaker 2: Was he on a boat or just like face down in the water.
Speaker 1: No, he was fishing, like he was doing his job, like he's been a fisherman.
Speaker 2: Okay, but he was on a boat, not in the water.
Speaker 1: He was on a boat okay. Oh yeah, if he just found just a floating now, well, that that's what.
Speaker 2: My picture was. He was just like face down in the water.
Speaker 1: No, he was like on his boat.
Speaker 2: Sorry, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Just drifting. So I feel like he just died doing probably what he loved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's is where I'm going. That's a lot better than what I imagined in my head. Good lord, I am a host of a true crime podcast, so my imagination went it really did.
Speaker 1: A memory Dennis would later describe as one of his most vivid childhood memories was his weeping mother when she asked whether he wanted to see his grandfather. He of course did, but at six, maybe not fully grasping what death was Yeah. He was taken into the room where his grandfather lay in an open coffin. As Dennis Glate gazed, glazed, gazed at the body, his mother told him his grandfather was sleeping and said he had gone to a better place. One report saying at that time, Dennis wondered, if his grandfather wasn't a better place, why wouldn't he have taken him with him?
Speaker 2: Wow, Like, oh my god, that is both like insanely pure and insanely ominous.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think he was just a six year old boy, Like, if Grandpa's going to a better place, why am I not there?
Speaker 2: Like, I know that is why. It's insanely pure. But it's almost like spelling out for him in the later years. It's like almost very ominous for what's to come. Like yeah, like it's almost like Batman. His parents die and it's like he comes back with the vengeance or Batman could have gone fucking dark in the depressive way, same sort of shit.
Speaker 1: Totally, Yeah, absolutely So the years that fall followed his grandfather's death, Dennis would become more quiet and withdrawn. He rarely participated in family activities and avoided the family's attempt to give him any affection, though he would be jealous at the amount of effect attention his mother and grandmother would give his siblings. That's kind of sad. He did have the closest where He had at the closest relationship with his younger sister, who he would often talk to or play games with. In nineteen fifty four or nineteen fifty five, he had an incident at the beach. He was probably there. He would spend time at the beach, often remembering the time with his grandfather as they would go on long walks. Right, But this time he became submerged under the water, panicking as he was almost being dragged out to sea, but he recalled that his grandfather was about to arrive and pull him out before experience a sense of tranquility. His life was, however, saved by another youth who dragged him ashore.
Speaker 2: Why do I get the sense that he's just gonna be pissed that his life was saved.
Speaker 1: I don't think he was. No. Oh, okay, no, okay, no, that was just I just threw that in there because it just He actually ended up writing a book, so there was quite a bit of details about his life leading up to what he does, and I felt like, you don't always have that, So I'm doing quite a bit of lead up here because you really get.
Speaker 2: To understand a lot more he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So shortly after Dennis is near Miss, the family would move out of Dennis's grandparents' home and into a home of their own. His mother also later remarrying, with the family moving to Stricken in nineteen fifty five and adding four more children to the family. As Dennis would begin puberty, he would start questioning his sexuality, believing that he was gay. This initially confused and shamed him, and he kept this a secret from his family and hit the few friends that he did have. Because you see homosexuality among men, I'm assuming it's both genders. But I what I was looking at the article just sat among men was actually illegal in Scotland until nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Well it's still illegal around the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm just like, gosh, I just find that so shocking.
Speaker 2: But oh, and it's so shocking that people have had to have deal dealt with that sort of stuff in their life. It's like hiding who they are, which is scary. But thankfully we're actually getting to a point where it's less and less, so that's at least good. But yeah, that's that's terrible that he had to go through that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hiding your true self I don't think is a good It doesn't come out with a good outcome.
Speaker 2: No, but there are some people out there that I wish would hide their true self because it's like cock shut up. Yes, I know a few of those people.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. At one point, he realized many of the boys he was attracted to had similar facial features as his younger sister. On one occasion, he sexually fondled his sister, thinking that his attraction towards boys might be a manifestation of the care he felt for her.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sorry, I'm just like lily grossed out right now.
Speaker 1: That's really gross. This also made him believe he might be bisexual. He would also go about fondling his older brother one night as his brother was sleeping, this resulting in his brother suspecting he was gay, causing him to bully Dennis. So basically he was confused with his sexuality and then experimenting on his siblings I suppose, and then also now getting bullied by his brother.
Speaker 2: Which is really fucking weird. I mean, I understand we all go through some weird shit.
Speaker 1: Oh my growing up as fucked.
Speaker 2: It's really fucked. But I mean, I don't know. That's just weird. Like we should all know, should I mean should is maybe not, because it's all depending on how you're taught and growing up. We all should know that, like siblings is really fucking weird.
Speaker 1: Off limits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, family is off limits. Yeah, it's just not right. But again that that depends on how you're raised. Really, how are you to know better unless you're taught that.
Speaker 1: Maybe I guess I don't know. Let's move on. Let's move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's a weird conversation.
Speaker 1: So at the age of fourteen, Dennis needed an escape, obviously, and he joined the Army Cadet Force, viewing the British Army as a potential avenue for escaping. His rule origins, Sorry, I count why I pause that, I pause really oddly because I think I missed something, but I didn't, so I just got going.
Speaker 2: No, you're good. I think I don't see your notes.
Speaker 1: But no, I'm good.
Speaker 2: You're good.
Speaker 1: So in nineteen sixty one, Dennis would finish school briefly working in a cannery factory canning factory before deciding to join the army, where he intended to train as a chef.
Speaker 2: As a chef, that's an odd choice if you're going to like, I'm going to go to the army. It's not very often you say I'm going to go to the army and be.
Speaker 1: A chef and something that I haven't thrown in here actually, which this could be a good place him training as a chef and learning butcher skills may become sandy for him. So he passed the entrance examinations and received official notification he was to enlist for nine year service in September nineteen sixty one. With it in weeks, Dennis began to excel in his army duties, loving the structure of military life and the sense of belonging. Gotcha, So that's good that he finally feels that, you know, later describing his three years of training in Aldershaw, England as the happiest of his life.
Speaker 2: Well, that's good.
Speaker 1: While stationed at.
Speaker 2: Okay, holy shit, uh, forgive us for a moment we just had, like Snowmageddon fucking just happened.
Speaker 1: In the middle of our podcast that was nuts.
Speaker 2: Okay, long story shorts. Uh. We we are parked in property where with our tiny home where there is a big storage shed right next to us, and snow came shooting off it and just like made thunderous noises right beside us. So we were just like, whoa, what.
Speaker 1: The out of me? Actually reapply my fucking deodorant? Like, I was like, what is happening here? Like, there's just so un settling. God, there's something every day man in this tiny home.
Speaker 2: So I don't know where the fuck we were? What would you just say?
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's a good question, you know. Okay, we were talking about how oh he was just basically like liking his time in the military, right, gotcha, because it gave him structure, sense of belonging, YadA, YadA, YadA. So, while stationed at Aldershot, Dennis would have all the feelings for his fellow colleagues, but like he did with his family, he kept his sexual orientation well hidden from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, that's fair.
Speaker 1: He never showered in the company of his fellow soldiers for fear of developing an erection in that presence. Instead, he would bathe alone in the bathroom. He also started relying on alcohol to help cope with the double life, kind of like Mary talked about, he was living and then loneliness he was feeling, so he liked. That's like so contradictory those two things, right, Like, I think he liked the military and he had friends and stuff there, but then he was also hiding his true self, which was causing.
Speaker 2: Well, he was able to quietly and discreetly feed fantasies the sounds of it, and couldn't act upon those fantasies. So there's happiness in being able to indulge himself. But you know there's the shadow.
Speaker 1: You wait, you hear what his fantasy actually is?
Speaker 2: Did Oh, I'm sure, but I get it. I get it, trust me, I'm aware.
Speaker 1: But are you aware?
Speaker 2: I'm aware aware, I'm very very well aware.
Speaker 1: So in mid nineteen sixty four, Dennis would pass his initial catering exam and was officially assigned to the first Battalion of And this is where it gets interesting, because I gotta pronounce some words here of the Royal Fuchilaires in Ausenburg, West Germany, where he served as a private in this deployment. He described himself and his colleagues has a hard working, boozy lot. So him basically like medicating himself with alcohol was I feel like also kind of came with who he was with too, like they're all just like getting together having fun, and he drank like more than he ever would have before. Okay, I understand that his colleagues were calling Dennis drinking an excess in order to ease his shinness, because he was also like a little bit quiet too, right, so we wanted to fit in. On one occasion, Dennis and a German Man drank themselves silly. He would awake the next morning on the floor of the German the German use flat. No sexual activity occurred, but this incident would fuel Dennis's sexual fantasies, and this is where the story starts going south.
Speaker 2: Shit. Okay, I wonder why this particular incident because it just let his imagination a wild of what they could have done, what.
Speaker 1: He could have done, spent the night at a dude's house, basically, I guess, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just kind of fuels that that fantasy, that that thought process.
Speaker 1: That exactly who knows what could have So Dennis's sexual fantasies involved his sexual partner being a young, slender male, initially being completely passive, but as his fantasies evolved, he was fascinated with the idea of his heart his partner being unconscious or even dead.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, what are you.
Speaker 1: Not fully listening to that sentence? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I was. But just like he didn't care.
Speaker 1: He would fascinate about being sexually active with a dead person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it was not like, oh like I prefer living. It's just like, oh like necrophilias.
Speaker 1: No, I think he prefers necrophilia.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 1: So on many occasions, Dennis would drink in excess, pretend he was in like drunk, in hopes that one of his colleagues would take advantage of him and his supposedly unconscious body, supposedly setting himself up. But that's all I could find about that, so I don't know if anyone actually did, but he wanted it, apparently, so following two years of service in.
Speaker 2: Germany, I'm sorry, I just literally picture him being like, oh, dear me, I've had too many beer, like hand on the forehead, fainting over the couch, ass in the air well.
Speaker 1: I even think like he would pretend needing help and stuff, so like people, his colleagues would be touching him and lead him back to the beduer. Oh my gosh, it's just too much, okay. Following two years of service in Germany, Dennis would return to Aldershot, where he would pass his official catering exam before being deployed to serve as a cook for the British Army in Norway. In nineteen sixty seven, he was deployed once again to the state of Aiden. Unlike his previous postings, this posting was not only more dangerous, but Dennis got his own room while stationed. This afforded him the privacy to masturbate without discovery and develop on his fantasies of sex with an unconscious or deceased partner, using his own body to fulfill his fantasies. Wait what you ready?
Speaker 2: How do I want to know how this works? I stopped myself in the midst of saying that do I want to know how?
Speaker 1: Even earlier you asked me a question or something about this case, and I told him, you're like fucking not asking any other questions.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, go ahead, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: So Dennis would masturbate while looking at his own flat, laying nude body in the mirror, discovering that while using a free standing mirror, he could create an effect whereby if positioning the mirror so his head was out of view, he could visualize himself engage in a sexual act with an entirely different person.
Speaker 2: That's fucked up. I mean, that is really fucked up. But but he is not harming anyone yet.
Speaker 1: That's just straight weird and it's just odd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, points, I mean honestly.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, he should keep doing this.
Speaker 2: Really, that's what he should have kept doing. He should have kept angling the mirror in such a fascinating way, angling that mirror.
Speaker 1: Just keep doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, master magician, the illusions. I want to see that magic show.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm not buying tickets to that. His fantasies would gradually evolve to incorporate the dead bodies he'd seen and his own near death experience while on this deployment. Also imagery from a nineteenth century oil painting, which is an which is of an older man holding the limp nude body of a dead youth. Next to him is a dismembered body of another young man. He would also often cover his body with are you good?
Speaker 2: I'm not that good right now? This is fucking weird.
Speaker 1: Let me just get through this last sentence, because it does get a little fun and weirder. He would also often cover his body with telcum powder like baby powder and paint his lips blue to give himself the appearance of being dead while participating in his sexual fantasies.
Speaker 2: Wow again though, like he's not doing anything wrong yet.
Speaker 1: It's just no, no, he absolutely isn't. Really.
Speaker 2: All it is is different strokes for different folks.
Speaker 1: Oh god, God, I just don't won't if I want to talk about that anymore. Dennis would complete his assignment in Aiden and be assigned TOST to serve in several other places over the years, but seeming to move often so that only notework. So the only noteworthy experience before he ended his eleven year military career in October nineteen seventy two was his first sexual experience with a female sex worker.
Speaker 2: At this time, okay, he.
Speaker 1: Bragged of his encounter to his colleagues, but would later state he found intercourse with the email both overrated and depressing.
Speaker 2: Wow and depressing.
Speaker 1: Which is like, holy shit, that's quite the way to describe.
Speaker 2: That emotional damage. Sorry, that's that's a thing on TikTok right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean he just wasn't into women, so it's like, but I missed he probably felt pressure to maybe experience that, which is kind of shitty, right like, just because at that time his ways weren't accepted, which isn't which isn't right. So Dennis would next decide to join the Metropolitan Metropolitan Metropolitan Politan Sorry Police and move to London in December to begin the training course. In April nineteen seventy three, Dennis completed his training and was posted to the will to Wilston Green, which is an area of northwest London. Dennis enjoyed working for the police, but he did miss like the company and friendship of the army.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: He began hitting up gay pubs and engaging in several casual relationships with men, but view these encounters as sold a storing in which he would only lend his partner his body in a vain search for inner peace. What he was really in search for was a lasting relationship.
Speaker 2: That's really sad.
Speaker 1: He has like some very interesting ways of describing shit though, and I'm assuming most.
Speaker 2: Of these descriptions are coming from his bookue.
Speaker 1: I think, so, yeah, you know I are yeah, or other books that were written and stuff that you were using his words and stuff. So so yeah. So come December of nineteen seventy three, so really only about a year after deciding to become a police officer, there was an incident where Dennis was in the position to arrest two men he caught having sex in a suspicially suspiciously parked car. He did not arrest them and decided that his personal lifestyle was at odds with his job and resigned from the place.
Speaker 2: Wow, I take balls.
Speaker 1: He chose himself. Yeah, which I was like, good on, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I know a kind of guy he's gonna become, and I don't agree with that, but so far, I just I feel bad for him, and yeah, good on him for making that choice for himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I don't think we should feel bad for him.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I go there. I feel bad for at this moment in his life, for what he's going through. As soon as he crosses crosses that threshold, all is not forgiven anymore. You can't forgive that exactly.
Speaker 1: So he then worked as a security guard briefly before and before finding work as a civil servant, which I believe is like working for the government. Now. Shortly after finding stable employment, it was about like the end of nineteen seventy five, Dennis would meet David Gallachan. He crossed that pass. I'm talking too fast, and when I soul the fuck down here, I'm like so intos I'm breathe, breathe. I know, I actually forget to breathe sometimes because I'm just like so into this shit. So he crossed paths with David. When he encountered him being threatened outside a pub by two men, Dennis intervened the altercation and took David back to his house. The two men would spend the evening drinking and getting to know each other. Dennis learning that David was new to London, was gay, unemployed, and currently living at a hostel, so they decided to move in together. In search for a bigger place to share, they came across a ground floor flat at nineteen or one nine to five Melrose Avenue. Along with the flat, Dennis also negotiated with the landlord that the garden at the rear of the property would also be exclusively theirs, and you may just hear a little bit more about this garden a little.
Speaker 2: Later, his little garden Eden, although I'm sure it's very much so not Eden, but maybe in his eyes.
Speaker 1: As the new couple settled into their home, they redecorated and furnished the home, but their time in Paradise did not last all that long. Dennis would come to realize David lacked the desire to get a job and found himself as the bread rinner in the relationship. Dennis was attracted to David, but would find that they seldom had intercourse and eventually started sleeping in separate beds and eventually would bring home casual sex partners. At that time, dude at Selva. Wow, in my opinion, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, there's such thing as polyamorous relationships, but I mean that that has to agreed between them.
Speaker 1: They probably I'm assuming if they were both bringing them home, they agreed upon it. But yeah, So this was within a year of them moving to Melrose Ave. It was an early nineteen seventy seven that the relationship officially ended, with David leaving Dennis. David did say that Dennis was verbally abusive and controlling towards him, but was never violent.
Speaker 2: That so there you go. Yeah, and that's odd that that all took place within like you said, the year of them moving in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they didn't last long together, but I mean they moved in before they even really known each other too. Yeah, Like it was almost like, oh, we both or you need a place to live, I need a companion, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Well that that's a quick deterioration though, too. Like when you hear of people falling apart like that, like sleeping in separate beds and stuff, usually it's like, well, after a decade or so, like people slowly fall apart or grow apart. Well, it's usually a much more slower process, not like, oh it's been.
Speaker 1: Like they should have still been in like the honeymoon face. Yeah, theoretically, theoretically, theoretically, after his relationship with David, Dennis would enter brief relationships with several other men, but none of them lasted for any significant amount of time, and none of the men express any interest in living with David, which is what he does. Ised he just wants love. He does, And with that, the story takes another turn, the turn that I've been building up to and I'm sure the one you've all been waiting for.
Speaker 2: Yep, here we go.
Speaker 1: By late nineteen seventy eight, Dennis was feeling especially lonely and with numerous short and failed relationships since David, he was feeling he was basically unfit to have a companion live with him, so he took measures into his own hands. Fuck deep breaths, sing.
Speaker 2: I gotta have a big swig.
Speaker 1: Swig at your bear. He had just spent Christmas alone and was determined not to also spend New Year's Eve alone. So after a day of drinking alone, he decided he must at all costs leave his house to seek some company. He headed to Crinklewood Arms Pub, where where he met Stephen Holmes, a fourteen year old boy who was in the city attending a concert for context. Dennis at that time was thirty three.
Speaker 2: Fuck twice eight over twice his age.
Speaker 1: Yep, Stephen only being fourteen. And there's mixed reports here, so some say he was denied alcohol at the pub and some say he was drinking, which impaired his decision making skills when it came to Dennis. But either way, I think fourteen is a very impressionable age. Oh, he was probably on cloud nine from just attending a concert that he wanted to go to, and he was flattered an older man in the city actually wanted to hang out with him, so, drinking or not, I could see this playing out the way it did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's understandable.
Speaker 1: David invited Stephen back to his place, where the two of them drank plenty of alcohol, listened to music, and then fell asleep. David would wake up first the following morning and find Stephen sleeping peacefully in the bed beside him.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: He caressed the sleeping youth, afraid to wake him. He felt as soon as Stephen woke up and found him in the situation he was, he would leave. So instead, Dennis came up with a way to force Stephen to stay forever. Fuck Besides, he needed a companionship over the new year. Stephen would then be awoken in the most terrifying of ways.
Speaker 2: Ah, here we go.
Speaker 1: David had slipped a necktie around his neck, straddled him, and was beginning to strangle him. He strangled him until he was unconscious, but soon realized that Stephen was still breathing and the job was not done.
Speaker 2: So he was going for a kill. He wasn't just trying to get him unconscious.
Speaker 1: Here, No, he's going for a kill.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: So what he did next was quick, we fill a bucket with water, placed Steven's head inside the bucket, and drowned him.
Speaker 2: Fuck. Holy shit, Okay, that was unexpected.
Speaker 1: He then proceeded to wash Steven's lifeless body, placed him on his bed, and masturbated over him, finally fulfilling his greatest fantasy. Wow, all before placing him beneath his floorboards, where Steven would remain for almost eight months.
Speaker 2: What eight months? Holy fuck? Whoa, whoa? Oh my god. Okay, okay, I didn't realize it went on that long with these individuals. I thought it was like eight days, maybe weeks. I didn't think it was months that he kept them. Fuck.
Speaker 1: So I feel like kind of a jerk doing this. But my friends, that is one Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And to hear the remainder of the story, you will have to tune into part two next week.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. Way to leave us on a major cliffhanger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I apologize, but don't you don't please send it. So it's like, if I went any further, why would you want to listen. Wow, it gets wild. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, all right, you're good. Yeah, okay, So part two is next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're I think we're going to start releasing part twos on the following week. Yeah, so we're being real mean apparently.
Speaker 2: Well previously we've done part two within the same week and then release another on the Tuesday. Just right now, we just we're just we can't afford the time to research that much.
Speaker 1: We might go back to that, but I mean putting a part one in part two was pretty much like putting two episodes out right. Yeah, so yeah, this won't be out next Tuesday, And you're definitely gonna want to.
Speaker 2: Tune in, yes, and you're gonna want to tune in to our social media's as well. We've got Instagram, Facebook, We've got a YouTube even linked down below, Patreon, and of course badass merch.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: You can get some stay wicked, some wicked, grim stickers, notebooks, gear, you can get a fucking blanket for just so cool.
Speaker 1: You can get so much cool shit. I need a blanket.
Speaker 2: No one's gotten a blanket yet. If someone gets a blanket, got to send us a picture.
Speaker 1: Word of the day.
Speaker 2: No shit, they will be. If you get a blanket and you send us a picture of our blanket on your bed, you will officially be the badass of the day in one of our episodes.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, actually yes for Chisel, maybe I'll order it. I need some bads of the day in my life.
Speaker 2: You will be the badass of the day. Awesome. Well, thank you for tuning in. I look forward to part two. Bib.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, you're gonna want to tune in.
Speaker 2: Awesome, look forward to it.
Speaker 1: Stay Wicked,