Speaker 1: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gaesy Bundy Dahmer The Nightstalker VTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 2: Good Evening.
Speaker 3: The true story of a trailblazing detective search for a beautiful college co ed who vanished without a trace In nineteen eighty one. Detective k Shocker was the lead investigator in the high profile missing person's case of Old Dominion University student Janis. The beautiful co ed disappeared without a trace from Old Dominion University's Norfolk, Virginia campus. As Kay studied the diary going several years back, she learned that Janis, a U S. Army veteran, had faced the same challenges in the military that Kay did in law enforcement. They were both women trying to succeed in a man's world. Feeling a kinship towards Janis, Kay became consumed with unraveling the mystery of Janis's disappearance and possible death. As the investigation unfolded, Kay began to suspect that Janie had an affair with her rotc professor at Old Dominion University, Army Captain Dwight Bettingfield, a well respected family man married with three kids. Kay was warned by superiors to tread life in her investigation of Bettingfield and cautioned not to dig too deeply, But she soon uncovered a life insurance scheme and discovered that Janie had been assigned a series of dangerous tasks by Captain Bettingfield. Did these circumstances play a role in Janie's demise? Was the highly regarded betting Field actually a killer? If so, what did he do with Janie's remains? The book that we're featuring this evening is In the Wind, The Disappearance of Janice Starr, with my special guest, journalist, lecturer and author, Ron Peterson Junior. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for this interview. Ron Peterson Junior.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, Dan, it's great to be with you again. I appreciate you having me on your podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, and congratulations on your late in the Wind.
Speaker 4: Well, I appreciate it. I'm excited to talk with you about it today.
Speaker 3: You take us to the summer of nineteen eighty one and Virginia Beach. Let's talk about Janis Starr and her background in her life and a little bit about Virginia Beach.
Speaker 4: Sure, that's a great place to start. Dan Janis Starr, who is the victim in this case that we'll talk about, was born in nineteen fifty eight in the New York City area. At an early age, her parents divorced, her mother remarried, and the family moved to Miami, which obviously was a big change from New York City. Jane spent her formidable years there in Miami. You can could certainly look up pictures of her again. It was Janis Starr last named Sta r R. Very attractive young lady. She enjoyed the beach lifestyle in Myami and South Beach in that area, lived not far from the ocean, and certainly had the look of someone who was from the beach. Janice, and she enjoyed the night life like a lot of young people back in the late nineteen seventies when she was in high school and when she graduated from high school, her parents, who were affluent, they offered to pay for the expenses of her college. They said, you know, she could go to college as long as she stayed enrolled and made good grades, they would fit the bill. Janis, though, did not want to go to college. She was more of an independent person and decided to enter the US Army. And again, this was the late seventies, This was about nineteen seventy eight, and that was an unconventional choice for a woman back in that day. You know, the army then and you could say and now, but certainly especially back then. You know, it was a man's world, and she was a woman who you know, wanted to join the army and try to try to make it in a man world. She was encouraged by the possibility of duty stations in foreign countries.
Speaker 5: You know, getting out and being able to travel.
Speaker 4: And see the world. And was also a patriot. She wanted to wanted to serve her country. You know, there was not an active war or any type of conflict at that time, but she felt that service to her country and the opportunity to travel and see the world was really the best thing for her at that time. And she'd take you know, three or four years try to figure things out. Decide what she wanted to do with the rest of her life, and then at that point she'd be prepared to go to college. So that's exactly what she did. And in her early years she was stationed at Fayeteville, North Carolina, which you know, as you know, there's a big army base. It was called Fort Bragg then Jannis encountered, you know, like I guess, like a lot of women, certainly now, but especially back in the late seventies, a great deal of discrimination and harassment.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: She, as I said, she was attractive even even in army fatigues and her hair tucked under her cap, but she had a lot of challenges with that and was was certainly a bit discouraged by that. She finally had the chance to travel internationally when she was stationed at a at a joint Army Air Force base in South Korea, and she'd moved there, and it was there that she met the woman that would become her best friend. Her name and we're going to use a pseudonym for her name for privacy reasons, as I did in the book. Her name is Paula Matteo, and paul and Janie pretty quickly they were you know, they were soulmates, they were best friends. They had a lot in common. They both enjoyed the night life in South Korea, you know, navigating the foreign land and although the certainly the military base and US soldiers had a strong presence there, but spent a lot of time together. And Paula was sort of a sort of a mentor to Janie. She was a bit older, a bit more worldly, and provide a lot of guidance for Janice, not only you know, with dating and romance and things like that, but also career wise. Paula was some really had her stuff together. She had earned a bachelor's degree while she was on duty, and she planned on attending law school once she separated from the military. Janie decided, you know that she was, that it was about time to pursue her college degree. By then, she'd been in the army for three years, and Paula and Janie together decided to move to the Washington, d C. Area, to Metropolitan d C in the US, where Paula could attend law school and Janice could attend undergraduate and work on getting her bachelor's degree.
Speaker 5: So that's what they did.
Speaker 4: They lived in the northern Virginia area of Alexandria, just outside Washington, d C. It was there that Janie met the man who was probably the love of her life. His name was Randy, and she quickly fell in love with Randy and decided she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him.
Speaker 5: And he lived down in.
Speaker 4: What we call in Virginia the Hampton Roads area, also known as Tidewater, which is an area metropolitan area that consists of cities like Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Williamsburg, Newport News.
Speaker 5: If you're familiar with those cities, yes, So.
Speaker 4: She moved down there and really liked Virginia Beach, you know, in some ways it reminded her of the beaches of Miami. She and Randy began to settle down. They moved in together. Jannis found a college down there that really fit.
Speaker 5: Her needs very well.
Speaker 4: It was called Old Dominion University or ODU, and back then it was sort of a small, growing college, a lot of folks mostly from Virginia. Now it's a full fledged university and much bigger. But she really liked the atmosphere in the vibe at Old Dominion University, so she enrolled in classes there, and this would have been in the fall of nineteen eighty one. Again, she was living with her boyfriend Randy and Jennis had by then she had shed left active duty with the Army, but she was still in the Army reserves. So she was serving the US Army one weekend a month on duty and then also, you know, would train for a few weeks in the summer months. And then in addition to that, she joined the ROTC program at Old Domnyan University, that's the Reserve Officers Training Corps. And her goal was to graduate with a bachelor's degree from Old Dominion University and then rejoined the Army, and at that point she'd be an officer and you know, would have a lot more opportunity there and probably not face as many challenges as she did as a young enlisted person. So as of the fall of nineteen eighty one, that's that's what was going on in Janas Stars World.
Speaker 3: You say that she started classes August thirty first, and within a few days the relationship that she felt was her forever love had changed. Tell us about the letters that she received when she got home from classes.
Speaker 4: One day, It sure did, Dan, Yeah, one day early in the school year, she came home to the apartment she shared with her boyfriend Randy, and he was not there. There was a there was a note on the on the counter, and the note said, you know, Janie, I'm sorry, I've gone back to you know, to patch things up with my wife. I'm you know, I've left you. I've moved back to New York. I mean, I'm sorry that this that it ended like this, and I wish you well. And as you'd imagine, Janis was crushed, you know. She one of the things about it, she did not realize that he was married. At the time, he was separated from his wife. He was probably planning on getting a divorce, but then, you know, then had had second thoughts and wanted to reconcile with his wife, which was why he left. So you can imagine how devastated Janie was. She was she was actually twenty three years old at the time. I guess I didn't mention her age, but you know, here was someone she'd wanted to spend the rest of her life with, and so she felt, you know, not only was she upset, but she felt like she'd been you know, been used, making man her matters worse. Janie was also in a bit of a financial pickle. She had in moving a lot of the paychecks she was received from the Army of Reserves with her change of address, she did not received them yet. Rent was due. She was flat broke, and she was counting on Randy to help her pay the rent.
Speaker 5: And split the bills.
Speaker 4: And not only had had he left her, but he had taken some cash she kept around in savings I mentioned in the book, but I believe it was around five hundred dollars and took her favorite camera as well.
Speaker 5: So Janie was at that point.
Speaker 4: She was just she had just hit rock bottom. You can imagine how devastated she.
Speaker 3: Was, absolutely you say that. Two days after Randy left her, which was September fourth, nineteen eighty one, Janie had a meeting scheduled with her academic advisor, a Captain Dwight betting Field, and he was also her military science professor, and Captain Benningfield was thirty five years old, tall, fit and handsome. Tell us about this initial meeting between.
Speaker 4: Them exactly Dan and as I described in my book in the Wind. So Janics goes into this meeting again, she's at rock Bottom as just devastated. You described Captain Bettingfield very well. He was thirty five years old, a family man, married with actually three kids. He was a career army officer. His background he was originally from the Norfolk, Virginia area where Old Dominion University is located. So he was what we call a local boy done good in these parts in Virginia. He had attended Marie High School in Norfolk and then attended Old Dominion University and entered active duty in the army and was an Army captain and had had served his country very well, had a tour of duty in Europe. I had spent time at an army base in Turkey, was very well thought of. About a year prior to nineteen eighty one, the ROTC job opened up for him to be the assistant director of the ROTC program, or what they'd call in the Army the EXO, as the number two man in charge of this ROTC unit which had which had a few hundred students in it at that time. The job was, you know, by by all observations, it was a perfect fit for him.
Speaker 5: You know, he liked it.
Speaker 4: He was a good example for the students, you know, it would appear. It's important though too. You know, he was Dwight Bettingfield was someone straight out of Central casting. He was tall, was about six', two, square jog, guy you, know obviously clean, cut a nice looking, guy well, spoken had a commanding presence and certainly you, know could communicated and articulated his thoughts very. Well so he was he was an authority. Figure as you, said he Was janis's academic, advisor which in college is someone who they provide you guidance on what courses to take and how to prepare yourself for your. Career but in a military, environment in THE rtc environment as it was there In, odu the advisors also also gave a lot of life advice and things like financial, advice and you, know really provided a lot of guidance to the cadets who were in their command that were. Students so she went that day for a meeting with. Him, yes And, DAN i can get into what happened in that meeting or if you want to hold back on, that you, know, whatever you, Think.
Speaker 3: WELL i think it's important for to establish what exactly what advice he did give. Her, Specifically he also noticed that there's something, Wrong so he asked, her please tell me what is. Wrong so what does she tell? Him and what does this financial advisement end up?
Speaker 2: Being?
Speaker 4: Exactly dan about five minutes into their, Meeting, janice who's an emotional wreck at that, time broke down and let me take a step back for quick second and, say you, know a lot of these things we're talking about as if we were, there because in a way we. Were janice was a very meticulous journal, keeper and she kept a diary with with great detail on what she was doing in her daily. Activities and excuse, me in addition to, that she sent. Letters you, KNOW i mentioned her Friend Paula. Matteo she And paula this was pre internet and phone calls were prohibitively expensive back. Then you, know there weren't cell phones in nineteen eighty one as we know them. Now so they wrote each other, letters and a big part of their, letters you, know these were, long multi page letters that you, know told a lot of what they did that, day what they were, feeling you, know why they did the things they. Did and those letters Of, janice's which we'll get, into you, know and as well as her, diary you, know were later. Found so when we WHEN i talk about some of these, things AND i talk about them as if they were, certainty because that's the way she described. It so going back to her meeting With Dwight, bettingfield you, know right away she she broke down and she was she was upset and you, know kind of sobbing during the, meeting and of, course you, know he, said what what's, Wrong janis you, know something's, wrong and she, said, oh don't worry about, it and he, said, no please tell. Me you know there's ANYTHING i can do to help, You i'll you, know glad to do. It and he seemed to be really sympathetic. Person so she, explained you, know what had happened with her, relationship how upset she, was and then also explained her financial position to. Him you, know that she was she was an independent person and that just through this set of, circumstances you, know she was she was, broken had bills do and so. Forth Betting, field you, know he consoled, her you, know spoke to her in a very sympathetic, fashion and loaned her some money to get her through the next few, days you, know and take care of take care of some bills.
Speaker 5: She paid back the.
Speaker 4: Loan then the next day he called to check on, her you, know just next day was A, saturday to.
Speaker 5: See if she was doing. Okay she said she.
Speaker 4: Was and then to her, surprise he's, that you, know would you would you like to go get some? Pizza and she said. Sure so they, did you, know he crossed that. Line and in terms of seeing one of his students, socially you, know there's also the fraternization thing if you're in the. Military you, know he's an, officer she was one of the people in his. Command they met for lunch and then you, know we can get into that part in a. Bit going back to your, Question, Dan i'm SORRY i varied from. That but so in the, meeting he provided her with some financial advice and a lot of it was basic. Things he went over her bills and what she, was you, know how much money she was, making how much tuition, was what other bills she, had you, know kind of went over that in a ledger and made some recommendations To janice in terms of her. Banking there was a credit union on campus that served a financial institution that specialized in serving members of the. Military there was several big military bases near near In.
Speaker 5: Norfolk there so she.
Speaker 4: Followed that, advice and then in subsequent meetings he told her that it would be a good idea for her to take out a life insurance. Policy and she, said you, know, Hey I'm Captain, Bettingfield i'm twenty. Three why WOULD i take out a life insurance? Policy he, said, well two. Reasons one will it will improve your credit and two the type of insurance life Insurance i'd recommend is also an. Investment it's a financial. Instrument it's an investment that will help, you you, know accumulate more. Money being, young it's a perfect time to do. It so he kind of sold the idea to her of buying a life insurance, policy just like an insurance salesman would. Do and when it came time for her to do, that she went to a financial or financial institution came to her CALLED usaa that's still around, now and she took out over three hundred thousand dollars in life insurance at his. Recommendation you, know he'd been so nice to help her and now was nice enough to give her financial. Advice and when it came time for her to list the beneficiary on the. Policy janice we talked about the fact that she was very, independent so she, said you know, WHAT i don't want to have my parents involved with. THIS i don't want my mother and stepfather to be in my. Business she didn't know who to put as the beneficiary for the life insurance, policy And Captain bettingfield was, there and he, said you know, what just put my. Name nothing will ever happen to. You just put down me for the, beneficiary kind of like an all shucks kind of, way and that's exactly what she. Did so as of Early september of nineteen eighty, One janis had over three hundred thousand dollars in life insurance with the sole beneficiary was doctor Or Captain Dwight.
Speaker 3: Bettingfield let's use this as an opportunity to stop to hear these messages.
Speaker 2: Now you talk about.
Speaker 3: That he advised, her just innocently that maybe she should use this, instrument as he called, it this life, insurance so she might be able to get a loan. Again it was just a good thing for, her very innocent to him being a beneficiary on this life insurance. Policy but their relationship went beyond just advising and what originally their role was what happened in the, Relationship, well it.
Speaker 4: Sure, Did, dan as you, know AS i mentioned, earlier right after they had their first, meeting he followed up with a phone call. Tour they met on A saturday for. Pizza things accelerated pretty quickly from. There one of the things they did that first, Day Captain bettingfield also happened to be a. Pilot he was a private pilot and had his right pilot's. License so they went to an airport located not far From Old Dominion university Called South Norfolk. Airport it's no longer, there but it was right. Nearby it was where as a kid he learned to. Fly his father had been into aviation and he was able to rent airplanes there for a pretty reasonable, price and that was one of his main, hobbies was to you, know to fly on the weekends and evenings when he had a. Chance so he Took janice up in a, plane a little little two seater private, plane took her up and you, know flew her around the, area flew out over the ocean that was, nearby and you can imagine how Impressed janis. Was so that was JUST i guess one of the interesting things he did in terms of kicking off their relationship. Together before, long they were you, know they were they were having sexual relations on a regular.
Speaker 5: Basis they would, meet.
Speaker 4: They'd, occasionally you, know go out on dates, together but more often than, not it, was you, know a relationship of. Convenience they would you, know they would meet typically at her. Apartment you, know he was having sex with her on a regular. Basis AS i, said he was married with two, kids and she came to learn that his marriage, was you, know was approaching the, end and that he was at that time separated from his wife and keeping a separate residence at an, apartment which was a fact that not many people. Knew in, FACT i don't think just about anyone At Old Dominion university was aware of.
Speaker 5: That but that's the.
Speaker 4: Point of his, life That Captain bettingfield was at it at that point in.
Speaker 5: Time you write.
Speaker 3: That On september twenty, second nineteen eighty, One janis wrote a letter to a close friend of her mother Named Violet. Rose what Did janice tell this woman in that letter Regarding captain Betting.
Speaker 4: Field, well she spoke of, him you, know as more of a mentor than than a. Lover you know they had been, dating had been interested in each, other but that you know that more than, that he, was you, know just an older, man obviously twelve years older than. Her he was thirty, five she was twenty, three and that he was providing her. Advice she did mention the fact that you know that they had to keep their relationship secret because if any if anyone found.
Speaker 5: Out about, it he had a lot to. Lose.
Speaker 4: Then there are also references made in that letter and also letters she sent to her Friend, eva some other references And, dan if you, LIKE i can we can get in to that now or if you'd like to approach that a bit. Later either, ways fine with, me.
Speaker 2: Whatever you, Think, ron, okay.
Speaker 4: Great so In janice's, correspondence in these letters she sent and also these diary, entries she spoke of exercises that The Dwight bettingfield was having her due that were part of, training and she Was she was a bit vague and cryptic about, THIS i think Because Captain bettingfield had been that way with, her but as if she were she were doing a preparation or a training with him for some type of secret service within the. Military she talked about how she was going to go out on a boat with him at some point and for her not to tell anybody about. That they did and this was very. Disturbing but she. Said janie was a social. Drinker you, know she had like a lot of kids in, college you, know she consumed a fair amount of. Alcohol he had her do what he called an exercise to test her for a, mission in which she drank a large amount of, vodka vodka SHOTS i mentioned in the. BOOK i think it was as many as as fifteen shots of a vodka well as well as as well as. Pills she said that it was it was his way of, testing if you, know if she could be a part of this secret.
Speaker 5: Mission in the.
Speaker 4: Army now you AND i are talking about, this and our listeners are, listening and it sounds, like you, know how could she have been that? Gullible and you, know you certainly would think that, originally but you, know it seems by all, indications by everything That janice wrote in her, diary that he had kind of led up to this and everything that he was, doing you, know was seemed to be above, somehow it seemed to be above.
Speaker 2: Board, yes you say.
Speaker 3: That she continued to write letters to her Friend, paula and in those letters things to Be things seemed to be going well For, janie But paula thought maybe it was time for a conversation and not on the, telephone about just the what could possibly happen with romantic affairs between male officers and female personnel that they, outranked especially when things seemed to go. Sour so she was interested in speaking to her about the pitfalls because she Knew janice's sort of impulsive nature and getting swept up in. Affairs but you take us To november, thirteenth nineteen eighty, One Colonel John, lynch who headed up THE rotc program and Was Dwight bettingfield superior, officer and he got a call from someone Named Charlie, hobbs the manager of The veteran's office at the university Where janistar. Worked tell us what this conversation was about.
Speaker 4: Exactly And, Dan I'LL i wanted to get to that in just a. Second you mentioned something THAT i think was very. Important So i'm going to backtrack for just a. Minute you Mentioned janis's Friend. Paula you, know they, again they were having these, letters this correspondence and these phone calls and And paula saw the red. Flags you, know she WAS i guess WHAT i didn't, mention but they were about about three hours away in terms of driving, distance With paula being in The, WASHINGTON dc area and Then janie being down In, Norfolk. Virginia So paula badly wanted to come down to talk To janice and just find out where her head was and kind of just talk some sense into her because she, knew as you, Said, dan that this relationship it was not going to end. Well you, know in her time in the, military she'd seen affairs between officers and enlisted. People and you, know then there was also the element obviously of a, teacher a married, teacher professor and a. Student but the unfortunate thing Was paula was really really busy with law. School she was having a difficult time, there you, know was just busy and could not make time to come down To norfolk To Old menion to talk To. Janice then one, morning as you, mentioned one, Day janie's boss on, campus who was a guy Named Charlie Hobb hobbs at part time job she had on, campus he came to THE rtc office to meet With Dwight bettingfield superior who Was Corporal, lynch and, said, hey you have THIS rtc, Student Janis, starr and she is Not she hasn't shown up for work with, me has she been attending? Class So Corporal lynch brought In Dwight bettingfield and, said, Hey Captain, bettingfield have you Seen Janas starr? Lately and he, said, well let me check my great book and went and checked. It he said, no she has not been in class for now for four or five.
Speaker 5: Days so they.
Speaker 4: Were immediately, concerned you, know they knew that something was. Wrong Dwight bettingfield did mention that he had sent a student by to Check janis's apartment she lived in an off campus, apartment and That janie was not. There in short, Order janis's parents were. Called this time they were living In. Ohio they moved From miami To. Ohio of, course they were really really, worried you, know they knew it was Unlike. Janis they had not heard from her and it would be unlike her just to stop going to. Class so from, There Dwight bettingfield was actually asked to file a missing person report with The Norfolk Police. Department and that's exactly what he, did so that missing person report was. Filed by, then she'd been, missing AS i, said for several. Days as they began to ask, around you, know no one had heard hide nor hair From Janas.
Speaker 3: Starr let's use this as an opportunity to hear from our. Sponsor we all know we should trust our gut instinct when it comes to exercise and eating, properly but when we, don't these along with other, factors can throw off our gut. Microbiome Rich will created a three to one supplement with clinically studied pre, biotics, probiotics and a post biotic to support a balanced gut.
Speaker 2: Microbiome.
Speaker 3: Now i've been taking rituals multivitamins for many years, now and When Symbiotic plus became, AVAILABLE i immediately began taking it every. DAY i just trust the research ritual has. Conducted, Recently i've also added ritual stress.
Speaker 2: Relief to my daily.
Speaker 3: Routine daily three to one, probiotic probiotic and a postbodic with two of the world's most clinically studied probiotic strains to support the relief of mild and occasional bloating gas and. Diarrhea Post biotics provide fuel to the cells that make up the gut lining to support a healthy gut. Barrier there's no more shame in your gut. Game Symbiotic plus And ritual are here to, celebrate not hide your. Insides get twenty five percent off your first month for a limited time at ritual dot com slash. Murder Start ritual or Add Symbolic plus to your subscription. Today That's ritual Dot com Slash murder or twenty five percent.
Speaker 2: Off.
Speaker 3: Now you introduce this pivotal character in this, story and her name Is detective K Lewis schucker from The Chesapeake Police, department and she has a fascinating story being the first female patrol officer in nineteen seventy. Four but also you chronicle in this book her rise to detective status from a police dispatcher initially and just the discrimination and just a different time that this female police officer experienced in her rise in her.
Speaker 4: Career Kay Lewis, schucker as you, mentioned was the she was the detective called in to investigate the. Case she actually worked for The city Of Chesapeake Police department and it was her jurisdiction Because janie lived in an apartment that was just across the city line From. Norfolk that's a finer, point BUT i did want to mention. That so So Detective shucker was the one in charge of the. Investigation her, background as you, said you, know she started with the police department in nineteen seventy four an administrative or a clerical, role you, know just writing reports for the other, officers and quickly realized she wanted to be a police, officer so she became a dispatcher and then went to The Human resources office to ask for an application to apply to.
Speaker 5: Be a police.
Speaker 4: Officer by, then she'd worked there about two years in the admin. Role she was told by THE hr, Director i'm, sorry but we don't hire women for that, position which, is you, know kind of appalling to think of. Nowadays so she went to an attorney who assured her that you, know doue to folks Like Ruth Vader, ginsburg that they were not allowed to discriminate against her like. That so she went back and insisted they give her an. Application she filled out the application was, hired but first she had to pass the testing and the physical test to become a police, officer and they made IT i, said they being the you, know the men that were in, charge made it as challenging for her as they could in terms of the, test made her take the test on a rainy day and it was this obstacle course similar to what.
Speaker 5: You see The Navy seals.
Speaker 4: Doing in, fact The seals did train right there in that area and it was on the same course that they.
Speaker 5: Used Detective.
Speaker 4: Shucker at that point she became a patrol, officer worked in uniform for several years and was very good at. It she got great performance. Reviews and then the natural progression in her career was to become a detective and then a homicide, detective and that's the position she was in in nineteen eighty, one and she investigated missing person cases as. Well so k was brought in and as she you, know the first thing she wanted to do was to to do a victimology to learn as much as she could About. Janice you, know indications were at that time That janice had just you, know. Disappeared they weren't sure if anything the farious had happened to her.
Speaker 5: Yet but the case was very very.
Speaker 4: Close To, kay in large part because she saw a lot of herself And. Janice you know they were they had both been strong minded women who wanted to succeed and traditionally male, worlds you, Know janis and the military AND k and law. Enforcement so a big theme of the, book AND i think why why a lot of people enjoy, it especially, women is that you, know these were both women trying to make it in a man's.
Speaker 5: World and a big part.
Speaker 4: Of the story Is kay's detective shuckers challenges in the investigation and that the things that she overcame to eventually solve the.
Speaker 3: Case she gets involved and from a Detective Bill day and gets her to begin investigating this case and gets her to go over to the. Apartment what does k do once she gets data to that, Apartment.
Speaker 4: Well she's met there by a forensics, technician by a you, know A csi. Person the indications there were that that something that farius had happened To. Janice Her her purse was still, there her glasses and contact lenses were still, there most all of her clothing was still. There janie was a meticulous. Housekeeper kay had learned that about her to begin, with and most all the apartment was, very very neat and very, clean with two. Exceptions one was her bedroom which was closed and files from a desk were strewn, everywhere as if someone had been had been in, there kind of ramsacking the room and looking for something. Right and the other thing was particularly disturbing was was in the. Bathroom there was a around the. Tub it was it was bathroom was very, clean you, know well, kept but around the tub there was a ring you're about halfway up to the, top kind of a brown, ring as if you, know something had had been in that. Bathtub then there was also along with the crime scene, tech Detective shucker noticed that there was A gfci. Outlet you, know these are the outlets that will trip if any excess electricity you, know goes through. Them that one of those had been, tripped which you, know which led to speculation that maybe some type of electronic, appliance a hair dryer or something like that had been dropped into the. Bathtub as As ka worked through the, investigation so you spoke with With janis's Friend paula and learned that you, know, Yes janis did have a hair dryer and that it should have been in the bathroom and in the apartment and no matter how hard they. Searched they were not able to locate that air.
Speaker 3: Dryer they also found some Of janie's diaries in that initial, search didn't They.
Speaker 4: They sure, did, Yes and that's where that's Where kay began to understand the depth of the relationship With Captain Dwight. Bettingfield she had interviewed him, already just kind of an informational interview there on on. Campus he didn't raise any red. Flags in, fact he, was you, know seemed to be very helpful and just as concerns as everyone. Else but when she began to read the, diaries she, realized you, know, wow That janie was having an affair with.
Speaker 5: Them it was certainly a heated.
Speaker 4: Affair she went into you, know she's very descriptive and inn you know in the, BOOK i certainly you, know provided some of the excerpts from the diary terms of their their. Relationship and you, know if you're a homicide detective or you, know even someone like, us you, realize you, know, wow that's that's a motive right, there that when when someone either disappears or is, murdered you, know to place the people closest to them that you have to look at first in terms of a, suspect and the fact That Dwight bettingfield was, married you, know certainly played into.
Speaker 3: That there was some talk of With Captain. Bettingfield he suggested that they talked to a Stan. Levinson another detective tell us about this recommendation from Betting.
Speaker 4: Field, yeah it was kind of an attempt By Dwight bettingfield to do damage, control you. Know he he knew where the investigation was, heading that he was likely to become a suspect and likely to become the prime. Suspect so he had a detective friend of his there In norfolk name named Stan levinson actually get in touch With Detective, shucker and in the end he did two, things you. Know one he provided information To Detective shucker That janie was you, know he that she was, promiscuous she dated a lot of, guys and that she should be looking at some of the guys she dated and her circle of male. Friends and then the other thing he, said and this was, unsolicited he, said, YEAH i Know Dwight bettingfield and he's a he's a hell of a, guy a heck of a nice. Guy at the end of that phone Called, KATE i call her k it's a detective. Shucker but you, know she was very suspicious as, to you, know why would he say, that you, Know and then then she had a follow up conversation with him again he said the same.
Speaker 5: Thing he closed the conversation by, saying, yeah.
Speaker 4: You, KNOW i Know Dwight. Bettingfield he's the heck of a. Guy so that was another red flag. There and as it turned, Out bettingfield had asked this mutual friend Stan levinson to say good things about him To, kay as if that would, somehow you, know decrease the degree she thought of him as a.
Speaker 3: Suspect he spoke to The star Family missus And Missus starr and and her husband and and said gave them a as much information as she could without revealing anything about this her suspicions About Dwight, bettingfield but also asked the mother to stay in touch and then the next day she did in fact Call kay. Again what was this in regard to.
Speaker 4: That conversation was one That Missus Starr janis's mother was very concerned. About she'd receive a phone call from another young lady who didn't identify, herself who said that she was With janice and she was calling to say That janice was. Fine let her, Know, Hey janis is. Here she's alive and, well but she had some type of breakdown Emotionally i'm paraphrasing. Here you, know she's getting herself together and she'll be in touch with, you you know, once once she's. Better Missus starr was, suspicious you, know right away that she knew something was a little. Fishy she Called Detective shucker and told her about the. Call and you know, This Detective shucker immediately was very skeptical about it as. Well and the, well, then you, know the first real lead in the case was to find out who made that phone call and what their motivation was for making the. Call so she set the wheels in. Motion you, know, nowadays in the modern, era it's pretty easy to trace a phone call and then do it pretty.
Speaker 5: Quickly right back, then they had.
Speaker 4: To go to the telephone service In ohio Where Missus starr had received that, Call so that took a little bit of time for them to actually trace that call and find out where it came.
Speaker 3: From while they're waiting for that, Trace Paula mateo comes into This Chesapeake Police department On november sixteenth and speaks To kay and she says she's very. Concerned what information Does ky finally get From Paula mateo and it's towards this.
Speaker 4: Case, Well paula tells tells her about these exercises and in the, Letters janie had referred to them as trust exercises or training Exercisestting field that had had her do and these these were you, know some of them were life. Threatening AS i mentioned drinking the excessive amount of alcohol along with with. Pills so you, know that's a major concern For kay and certainly you, know cast Betting field in a in a terrible.
Speaker 5: Light then there was.
Speaker 4: Also dan along the, Way kay discovered the life insurance, policy you, know so that there you had. Motive you, realized you, know not only was was Betting field in an extra marital, relationship but with his life insurance, policy he had he had. Motive so when Betting field came in for more, questioning she asked him about about the life insurance and he really downplayed.
Speaker 2: It in a.
Speaker 3: Letter it's it's, incredible the message she says To. Paula if you never hear from me, again then you know you should Have dwight.
Speaker 4: Investigated you, know it was almost as If janie had had seen it, coming you, know she had she had that fear in the back of her.
Speaker 5: Mind and you're exactly.
Speaker 4: RIGHT i didn't mention that AS i was describing, It, Dan but that was when things really started to come together And, Kay Detective, shucker felt confidence she had the right.
Speaker 3: Suspect let's talk About kay discussing with detectives Like pillett And forrelli and the people that are are supposed to be involved in this investigation as. Well When kay makes her assertions and her, conclusions what do these other detectives are they, moved are they? Convinced what is their?
Speaker 4: Reaction, well it was an interesting situation because the other detectives work in the case With ka and there were there as many as three other detectives involved who were helping support her and also doing work in the. Investigation from the very, beginning they thought that That janice had just disappeared and left, town that she was the kind of person, who you, know was just a little flaky and would do. That and there were some diary entries that they were provided that they read and again these you, know These janice was very candid about her relationships in her. Writing she shared a little bit about, it and it gave them the you, know that impression that that maybe she had just just left. Town so from the beginning of the, investigation that was and we'll just refer to them as the male detectives because you, know it was sort of them against DETECTIVE. K so they they had their opinion, there, now k you, know from the beginning was convinced that That Dhite bettingfield had something to do With janis's. Disappearance so as more and more evidence content started to point in that, direction you, know with the life insurance policy and so, forth rather than changing their mind and, saying, wow, ka you were right about, this the other detectives doubled down on their on their feeling and really stuck to their. Impression now this is you, know you hear about this in police, work and it's it could have been confirmation, biased you, know they they were only looking for information that would confirm their their. Obias BUT i think more than, that you, know these these were people who were you, know they were alpha. Males they were very strong, personalities and they just didn't want to admit that they were. Wrong so so they really didn't Support kay in her. Opinion and you, know we look at this in hindsight and we're, like you, know you've got to be kidding. Me you, know anyone could have seen that what was going. On but, really in the heat of the, investigation they felt. Otherwise they felt that That, Kay Detective shucker was barking up the wrong tree in terms of looking At White bettingfield as a.
Speaker 3: Suspect let's use this as an opportunity to stop to hear these. Messages now they get an. Opportunity kay gets an opportunity to bring.
Speaker 2: Betting field in for an.
Speaker 3: Interview and just as you had just, mentioned he is charming these other, detectives asking him where they, live where they, serve and they think he's a great guy in this and doesn't and THEY i don't see at all the kinds of things That kay is seeing just by asking him questions again about something, obvious obviously, incriminating like the life insurance policies and him being a beneficiary.
Speaker 4: Exactly and you, know during that, Interview KAY i think was someone according to people that worked with her and just having gotten to know her in the course of writing this, book over about a year and a, half very empathetic in that she can really pick up on a person's on their body, language not necessarily just what they're, saying but how they're saying. It you, know nowadays there's studies that people actually do how to, tell you, know when someone's lying or when they're not, Lying BUT i think back then it was just quite frankly women's. Intuition she could tell the way That Dwight bettingfield was saying things that he was not being. Truthful for, example he would answer her question and then this was at about four different questions that he answered that she. Asked he'd answer the question and then turned to her with kind of a palms up expression and Say i'm, sorry you, know like, That and it struck her as a bit curious the first, time and then even more so the second and third, time and then the fourth time when he answered her question and gave her this palm's up gesture and Said i'm sorry at the end of the. Question at the end of his, answer she, said you, Know, dwight why are you saying you're? Sorry you, know what are you apologizing? For and he sort of gave her a.
Speaker 5: Puzzled, Look but.
Speaker 4: You, know that was just just one of the things she picked up on with, him that that wasn't quite. Right whereas the other detectives in the room observing the, interview you, know they were they were were sold that he was he was a good. Guy that he, was you, know was not a. Suspect so she knew and she had a good, IDEA i think from the, beginning and certainly after that.
Speaker 3: Interview you talk About kay wanting to get a search warrant For bettingfield's apartment and finally being able to get that despite any any backing from her own. Detectives but in that, search you talk about that there was very little, found but something very important was found in a stack of letters in that second, Search and also you talk About bettingfield being there and crowding k in the search of the, apartment and she said something to, him very very profound at the end regarding the bolt.
Speaker 4: Cutters she sure did, so, yes first, off and a lot of this was because she wasn't getting the support she needed from the department and from her superiors and her fellow. Detectives it was difficult to get a search, warrant you, know in The United. States it protects you, know certainly protects the suspects in that it's to get a search, warrant you, know you have to have probable cause that a crime had been, committed and you also have to be very specific about what you're looking. For you, know you can't just go in willy nilly looking for, anything but you've got to be be very. Specific kay had put a search warrant. Together she specified, that you, know among the things she was looking for was this this blanket That janice had that was her favorite, blanket A korean. Blanket we haven't mentioned this yet that was missing from From janis's. Apartment it was like a thick pile, blanket and that was one of the items they were looking. For so her first, attempt you, know her her supervisor told, her you, Know, kay a judge is a judge or magistrate is not going to give us the, search authorize the search with this. Warrant you, know we've got to get more. Evidence so she continued to do. That she met with really good attorney who was a former prosecutor who advised her throughout this process and we might talk about a bit, later who was a key part of the.
Speaker 5: Story his name Was John. Brown he later became a.
Speaker 4: Judge by the, way So John brown Helped janis to write the search warrant in a way that a judge would would authorize the search and sign off on the. Warrant and that's exactly what. Happened So Detective show shows up early one, morning you, know as they do when they execute warrants at his apartment with another detective and also uniformed, officers and they begin to search through his, apartment and they're also authorized to search the, curtilage which means things around the, apartment and one of those was his, car and hidden in his, car they found another insurance policy from a for another.
Speaker 5: Woman her, Name.
Speaker 4: I'm sure we'll talk about a bit later Was Deborah. Keck it turned out it was another woman who he was having to having a relationship. With but going back to what was going on in the, Apartment so As kay was going, around you, know looking for anything of evidentiary, Value Captain bettingfield was kind of crowding. Her he was following, her and you, know it was close to, her kind of in her physical, space probably in an effort to intimidate. Her then she discovered that noticed something about the back. Door he'd originally told his story that he had to have bolt cutters to cut through the chain on the back door of his, apartment and she, said you, know, right there's no chain on your back, door.
Speaker 5: You, know and alluded to him that he must have lied about.
Speaker 4: It he says to, her, right, then you, KNOW i want to get an, attorney and you know he wants to shut things down right. Away So Detective shucker takes a step closer to, him and she, Says, Okay, Dwight, yeah that's that's probably a good. Idea but when you get an, attorney don't just get any. Attorney you better get the best, attorney Because i've gotten you by the short.
Speaker 5: Hairs.
Speaker 4: Wow so that's just a great indication Of Detective shucker's personality and also her.
Speaker 3: Determination tell us how she proceeds before you talk about being contacted by A Claudia.
Speaker 5: Tongrit, well from, there you, Know kate continues her.
Speaker 4: Investigation one THING i mentioned was the chain on On bettingfield's door or lack of. One there one piece of evidence That Detective shucker turned up on. Campus she went to campus police and asked About Captain, bettingfield and they, said, yeah he was in here just you, know just last week to.
Speaker 5: Borrow a pair of bolt.
Speaker 4: Cutters so you, know light bulb goes, off and so she got the bolt cutters and there were little little fragments of metal on. It one of the things that was significant was That janis's apartment the door, chain you, know the dead bowlt door, chain not dead, bolt but just the door chain had been.
Speaker 5: Cut you.
Speaker 4: Know she surmised that the that he had borrowed those bolt cutters to cut the chain on her. Apartment the metal, fragments you, know did they certainly did match. Up, now the excuse Betting field gave forgetting the bowl cutters was that he had locked himself out of his apartment and needed to cut through a chain and during the, Search warrant k realized that that, he you, know he didn't have a chain on his. Door, now you Mentioned Claudia tongret as the investigation was going. On Claudia tongret was another Old Dominion university student who got in touch with the Detective. Shucker she lived lived in the same apartment complex that Betting field was. In, again at this, point he was estranged from his wife and was maintaining his own residence in an apartment near. Campus So Claudia tongrat Tells janis that she And bettingfield were having a, relationship they were in, love and that he was going to leave his wife and they were going to get married and spend their life. Together so this is actually a third woman who's come forward.
Speaker 5: That he was having a relationship.
Speaker 4: With So Claudia tongret was very willing to help out the, investigation you, know was ended up being.
Speaker 5: A valuable source For Detective.
Speaker 3: Shucker she asks About Captain beddingfields Whereabouts, november, second, third and, fourth and so This claudia Gives hey some pretty pertinent information regarding, that doesn't.
Speaker 6: She she, Does, yes he had he left for for a long period of time, there you, know a conspicuous absence when when he was, gone and so, yes exactly she you, know she provided evidence that that helped k move the move the case.
Speaker 3: Forward you say That kay in the conversation warned Her claudia to be careful and, then very much like what's happened so much in the, story she gets a call From claudia the next.
Speaker 2: Day she.
Speaker 4: Did by, now the the investigation was really zeroing in On Dwight. Bettingfield it was becoming clear to, him you, know how much evidence there was against.
Speaker 5: Him he was the prime.
Speaker 4: Suspect by, now he had he'd consulted with an, attorney you, know he'd retained an, attorney and he was starting to see the riding on the. Wall you, know they had a really good good he'd not you, know he had not disclosed or admitted anything but that they had a really good case against. Him so his one of his other, girlfriends This Claudia, tagret Calls DETECTIVE k and, says you, know, hey something has. Happened you, Know dwight is in a very bad state of. Mind he came to see. Me he once said he wanted to tell me. Goodbye he SAID i may never see, that he may never see her. Again and she, Said i'm really worried about. Him you, know he's he's in a bad state of. Mind i'm worried he's gonna harm. Himself So DETECTIVE k was, was you, know immediately very upset Or i'm, sorry very you, know interested in getting to the bottom of that. That you, know there was concern that he was could be a flight. Risk he could run, off but even more than that that you, know there was the possibility that he could could take his own, life and, that you, know that was their. Concerns so you, know from that point on they needed to locate. Him he had he had disappeared and they did not know his. Whereabouts that, day.
Speaker 3: He also Goes Bettingfield ghosts and sees his ex Wife, sondra and again she is alarmed at what he has to say to her as, well.
Speaker 4: That's, Right, yeah in similar conversation with, her you, know he's, apologetic, says you, know tells her that he had nothing to do with, this that he's trying to, prove you, know that he. Didn't but he also alludes to her that she may never see him again and that he just wanted to tell his strange wife.
Speaker 3: Goodbye so again with he Impressed janice with his piloting is air. Piloting so he heads to the airport again and someone there is alarmed that he might harm. Himself tell us about this conversation and what does he do at that?
Speaker 4: Airport, Yes so from there he goes to the airport In chesapeake that he flies out of that the operator of the airport can tell something's not quite right with, him but he rents an airplane and takes the airplane up from From. Chesapeake he flew to the city Of, williamsburg which is about see it's about about thirty or forty miles From. Norfolk so he flies To, williamsburg land at a private airport. There it's just a little small airstrip with a small building and an air traffic. Controller he goes, inside asks for with a briefcase and asks for some quarters to make some phone.
Speaker 5: Calls this is back in the days of.
Speaker 4: Payphones and he makes another phone call to his, Girlfriend, claudia the one who had Alerted detective k you, know similar conversation with. Her claudia hangs up with, him and Betting field is making more phone calls to.
Speaker 5: Who we're not quite.
Speaker 4: Sure claudia caused the police there In, Williamsburg James City, county and very quickly sheriff's deputy is sent to the. Airport claudia has told him that Betting field could be. Suicidal you know that here he is flying an. Airplane so the sheriff's, deputy his name Was Deputy, fox sits down with Betting field and you, know begins talking to him to assess the. Situation Betting, field in his, calm cool and collected manner man is to Convince Deputy fox that he's no harm to, himself that actually the problem Is. Claudia he says that she's you, know she's not, stable that you, know she's she was the, problem and that she's way out of line and suggesting. That he says to the, deputy, says DO i look like someone that would harm? Myself and the deputy, says, well a matter of, fact no you. Don't so he's, concerned but you, know he does not intervene in the situation because there's you, know there's no no, reason no probable cause for him to do. That so from there he, uh you, know Betting field leaves the airport And Detective fox has one more conversation with him from the you, know over the.
Speaker 5: Radio the plane wishes him well And.
Speaker 4: Dwight bettingfield, says you, know, okay And bettingfield takes off to fly back toward Towards, chesapeake where he originally came.
Speaker 3: From let's use this as an opportunity to stop to hear these. Messages so he is in assessin a. Plane there is indications that he may commit. Suicide what does he do in That assessina.
Speaker 4: Plane, well he makes the thirty mile flight back To chesspeake where he took off, from and owner of the airport sees him, circling you, know flying in a circling pattern above the. Airport and interestingly, Enough Detective, shucker who lives in a neighborhood about about a mile or two from the, airport one of her neighbors is out doing some gardening and happens to. Notice she happens to, notice, coincidentally you, know this plane repeatedly flying. Over so then after a, while after about twenty minutes of, This bettingfield is near the runway and he takes the plane up into a higher altitude and. Again the whole time there's the airport operator is watching, him as are some other people just curious what this plane is. Doing when it reaches a few thousand, feet Betting field knowses the plane directly downward and flies the airplane directly into the.
Speaker 3: Ground, now With kay's investigation still, pending still in the, air what does the national news, media what does the local media? Do how does this story bear in the media.
Speaker 4: Well as you can, imagine it was a you, know a huge, story but to kind of to recap, there so you, know police are called to the. Scene fortunately he crashed it in a, field farming, field you, know where there was no one. Around Detective shuckers actually called to the scene to identify Betting. Field you can, imagine you, know a crash like, that what kind of physical shape his remains were.
Speaker 5: In you.
Speaker 4: Know the book gets into that and Provides k's of pound account of having this really unenviable task of having to identify Betting field and, said, yes you know that it was, him so so obviously from the very, beginning you, know the speculation and then eventually the determination was, that you, know that he had committed suicide by crashing the. Plane but as you as you alluded To, dan you, know it was a it was a huge news. Story you, know it was followed by all the local, news you, know back then it was THE ap AND upi news. Wire the story got a lot of legs with him, too and was a you, know pretty sensational story that you, know the plane crash in and of. Itself but then as the, investigation uh you know was, disclosed it made it even more of a newsworthy story that got a lot of national attention back in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: One despite this story and and the seeming conclusion FOR, k there was something that was very very important to k and that was to Find janus's. Body the desire for her to have closure for the family and to find Jana his body wasn't shared by the other detectives after, this this.
Speaker 2: After he killed himself in This sessma, plane.
Speaker 5: It was not no and that's you, know one of the. Things it's a little bit.
Speaker 4: Puzzling but when you look at it a little, closer you, know you can can understand a bit why With bettingfield having taken his own life and you, know the writing on the wall is, that, yeah he was responsible for what happened To. Janice the only remaining question is where Is? Janice you, know it was a foregone conclusion that she was, dead but what had he done with her? Body so that Became Detective kay's, mission you. Know but now she'd established a close rapport with With janie's parents and had, actually you, know done something it was probably not advisable to, do and that she Promised janis's mother that she would Find janice. Right so you know this the crash was in Early. November so for the next month and a, Half kay spending all her spare time trying to find, out you, know what happened To janice and more specifically where her remains. Were now a lot like police departments. Today you, know the detectives in The Chesapeake Police, department you, know they were.
Speaker 5: Overwork there was a heavy case.
Speaker 4: Load kate had to also pull her weight with other, cases and you, know there was there was some some resentment by these other detectives that they've been wrong about this case and they wanted to just kind of put it on the back burner and not talk about it, anymore as well as case superiors who told her and know uncertain. Terms you, know, Look, kay your resources are best used helping us work on active.
Speaker 5: Cases you, know you.
Speaker 4: Can't spend your time looking for this girl's. Body we know she's. Dead the body will eventually show, up, right it always, Does so against their, orders she spends a lot of her spare. Time you, know there were days In, december you, know around the, holidays when she'd work a full day at, work you, know would work like a seven to five, shift and then in the evening she'd go To Oldaman university and set up shop on campus and, say you, know invite anyone who might know something to come talk with. Her so she begins to get to get leads on. Campus and then also it helps kind of paint the picture of Betting. Field you, know this whole thing was obviously a get rich quick scheme that he. Had you, know his marriage had fallen, apart, financially he was facing, ruin and you, know this was something that he cooked up as a way to you, know to make a great deal of, money over three hundred thousand dollars off his life. Insurance it just so, happened you know that that day in Early, september That janice had come into his office in a really vulnerable. State and you, know with him as a as a, sociopath you, know she was unfortunately the. Victim but, yeah going back to what's happening by, now In december of nineteen eighty, One kay is spending all of her spare time trying to Find janis and she's just you, know just consumed with this, case with Finding.
Speaker 3: Janice now a character comes, on assuming Character Petra, Tongret claudia's. Sister in the relationship That claudia had With, bettingfield he also took a shine to her sister and one day went for a.
Speaker 5: Drive he sure, did.
Speaker 4: Yes so As kay is detective case continuing to look for, Leeds Claudia, tongret how do young younger, sister you, know kind of her kid's sister?
Speaker 5: There her name Was Petra, Tongret.
Speaker 4: And she, says you, know, HEY i just thought of something that it, might you, know might.
Speaker 5: Help out your.
Speaker 4: Investigation she, says shortly After janie, Disappeared Captain bettingfield asked me to go on a drive with. Them and she described this. Drive she said she drove or he drove his car.
Speaker 5: And she was.
Speaker 4: Riding he drove way out about an hour west Of norfolk into a rural, area through city Of suffolk and then Into Southampton, county and he was driving it was as if he was looking for, something but he didn't know what he was looking. For he asked her to turn off the. Road they, drove driven a rural area on this abandoned farm, property turned around and the whole time he asked her to take notes, on you, know on where he was driving and when they got, there he made a comment, like you, know, yeah this is a good to. Himself he, said, yeah this is a good. Place this will, do and then you, know Brought Patriot tonggrit back to. Campus she hadn't thought much of it because he said that he was going to he was looking for a spot to take The army cadets. Camping that, was you, know was what he was. Doing so she didn't think anything of. It but then when she thought of it in the context, of you, know a possible clandestine grave For, janie she, thought you, know, wow maybe that's what he was. Doing so she tells this To DETECTIVE, k and right Away DETECTIVE k knows, that you, know that she was onto. Something so she forms a theory that he had had buried her somewhere on this farm. Property he'd gone back, there and that that was what he had done with her.
Speaker 2: Remains, so, okay gather's some.
Speaker 3: Volunteers she goes and looks at the property, herself and in THIS i guess profound, moment she sees something a depression in the soil around this, place doesn't She.
Speaker 4: She, did, Indeed, Yeah so by then it Was january nineteen eighty. Two you, know it was a good two months After janis's disappearance and one of the colder days of the year In. Virginia temperature was in the single, digits which is very cold for.
Speaker 3: Us.
Speaker 5: Here she goes out.
Speaker 4: On A sunday. Drive she had not she had not been given permission from her superiors to work outside her, jurisdiction so you, know she'd not been able to look so on her own, time in her own, car she drives out actually with her. Daughter the guys have just you know under the just going on A sunday. Drive she goes out and first she went with With Petra tongrit to you, know follow her directions on and she'd remembered the drive That dwight had took her. On so Then kay goes back there on A sunday with her daughter to get out and look. Around and gets out of the. Car you, know AS i, said it's, cold the wind is, howling and she's walking around this this old farm property way out in the middle of. Nowhere there's you, know a falling down house, nearby and she's walking through the. Field she sees a Classic clendestine grave is how she describes.
Speaker 5: It it's you, know.
Speaker 4: It's sunken because the soil has compacted about six feet by three, feet and you, know looked looked certainly like it was A clendestine. Grave she couldn't believe what she was, seeing in, fact so much she said she thought she was. Hallucinating so just to be, sure she drove down the road and brought another old farmer there to look at, it and she said to, him she, said you, know tell me what that looks like to, you and he, says, ma'am that sure looks like a grave to. Me so she knew she had she had found. It so from there she goes back to the department and manages the forensics technician that she'd worked with, before actually two of, Them Terry riggs Now, burns and then another auxiliary officer and then another officer came out with, her and together they all began to excavate the grave and went about it as similar, to you, know to what you do with a with an archaeological. Dig they had to be very careful as they you, know they dug it and worked all night doing, it and finally they Located Janis star's. Remains sure, enough she was. Walked she was wrapped in Her Korean army. Blanket so from there her body was was. Uh they contacted a local funeral home who provided transportation to take the body to the to the Medical examiner's office In, Norfolk.
Speaker 3: Virginia during the, autopsy you write that it was evidence of strangul in that the hyoid bone was.
Speaker 2: Broken it was.
Speaker 4: Yes and the medical examiner some states they call him. Coroners here In virginia they call him medical. Examiners he was very well. Known he was Doctor Feruke. Presswala he was originally From, Bombay, india and it was just just a legend as a medical examiner for many many years In. Virginia he you, know, again she'd she'd been there for about two. Months there was a great deal of, decomposition and he ruled that she had died from homicidal, violence most likely, strangulation because that that hyoid bone in the throat was. Broken, now What detective k theorized was that that night In janie's, Apartment Dwight bettingfield had been there with. Her janice went went to take a, bath which she you, know she often, did and he had thrown her hair dryer in the tub to electrocute.
Speaker 5: Her and, however.
Speaker 4: Instead electric electrocuting, her it cut the power to that, circuit which is what A gfci outlet, does so it cut you, know she was not, electrocuted but immediately she knew you, know holy, cow he's trying to kill. Me so from, there you, know she probably got out of the. Bathtub, again this was the theory of the. Crime you, know they got in a physical. Altercation she was she was an athletic, woman was well, trained and you know it was probably quite a. Struggle but at that point he probably strangled her and then her probably put her body back in the tub and left it there for a few. Days there were accounts from some of the neighbors that there was a very bad smell coming from the.
Speaker 5: Apartment you.
Speaker 4: Know there was also the evidence several days later that the ring around the, tub you, know that that's that was from her being in the tub and her her bodily fluids in that. Process so that was kind of the final. Theory of, course With bettingfield being, dead you, know there there was was no further recourse with, him but that was what Detective shucker theorized.
Speaker 3: Happened you take us to the, funeral and again closure is a overused, expression but again she wanted closure for the, family and the body represented that and they had a. Funeral and in, closing you said that just for all the work That kay had put into this and and her career as, well is that A Lieutenant fiann had said That kay was the best detective he had ever.
Speaker 4: Known exactly that that was really a redeeming moment For kay because you know all the challenges she had with her superiors and with the. Department you, know she was was it was just an uphill battle for her throughout the. Investigation then it was several years, later actually after she had, retired she was attending a funeral for another, officer and former chief pulled her aside and, said you, Know, Kay i'm, retired you know as, well AND i do consulting now and Whenever i'm doing a training session for, DETECTIVES i always tell them your. Story and then he, Said, kay you were the best DETECTIVE i ever. Saw so that was her moment of, triumph you, know once this investigation was.
Speaker 3: Over, yes and you write that she was now eighty years old and she was good enough to speak to, you and lots of the correspondence comprises this.
Speaker 5: Book it sure.
Speaker 4: Did, yeah over the course of about a year and a, Half ca AND i and her husband have all gotten to know each other pretty, well and my wife as.
Speaker 5: Well you, know we've done things.
Speaker 4: Socially and, Yeah kay AND i spent a lot of. Time she provided me the case file to write the. Book you, know there were crime scene photos and so, forth and also put me in touch with the forensic technicians who worked on the case and the Attorney John brown THAT i mentioned who later became a, judge and in order to write the.
Speaker 5: Book so she was very helpful for.
Speaker 4: That we had had hours of interviews AND i was amazed how something that, happened you know now it's forty three years, ago just how.
Speaker 5: Vivid her memories were of.
Speaker 4: That and Then kay is Also i'm on a book tour to promote the, book and she's also coming to as many of the events as she. Can AND i give a, typically you, know when we give a, Presentation i'll do a slide show and Then kay will do a question and answer.
Speaker 5: Session so it's been really really.
Speaker 4: INTERESTING a lot of folks that have read the book have got a chance to Meet kay or they Meet kay before they read the. Book so it's it's been really nice of her to come out and promote the book with, me and it was, also you, Know i'm grateful THAT i was able to tell the story of really what was the watershed case that she worked in her.
Speaker 3: Career, absolutely her story is an incredible story and it contained in this incredible story that Is in The. WIND i want to thank you so much for coming on and talking About in The, wind the disappearance Of Jena starr for people that might want to take a closer, Look could you give us your website or if you do any social?
Speaker 5: Media, Absolutely, Dan i'm on.
Speaker 4: Personally i'm on On, Facebook, instagram and x formerly known As. Twitter of course you can find Me Ron Peterson. Junior That's Ron Peterson. Jr and the book is available at bookstores, everywhere really wherever you buy, books whether it's an independent bookstore or in THE Us barnes And, noble or like most folks On, amazon where a lot of books are bought. Now it's available in, paperback in ebook that's you, Know, kindle and also on. Audiobook the audiobook is narrated by a great professional narrator Named Kyle, tate who really brings the story to. Life so it's available in those those outlets and in that. Format and then my, website my author website that talks about the other Books i've written Is ron petersonjar dot. Com so, yeah that's how folks can find out about the book and about.
Speaker 3: Me thank you so, Much Ron Peterson. Junior in The wind The disappearance Of Jana, starr thank you so much for this, interview and you have a great evening and.
Speaker 5: Goodnight, well thank, You, DAN i appreciate.
Speaker 2: It thank, you good. Night