Speaker 1: Last time on the Instascammer, you heard about the night a house caught on fire in Wisconsin. The house that Tom and Joanne owned and that Laura, by then known inside the Liana Shanti community as Gahira, had been renting. Tom and Joanne were in Washington state when the news reached them, but Dean and Charlotte were much closer.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen the little fires everywhere? We were on the episode watching the specific part of this episode where the house is up in flames and the kids had something to do with it. And we get a phone call from his daughter crying because the house is on fire.
Speaker 3: Minutes after watching this part of the episode, minutes after that, it blew our mind.
Speaker 2: We were like, what the heck? So we get in the car. I tell my daughter, hey... The kids, their house is on fire. She's like, what? And I'm like, yeah, we're going to leave real quick. As we're driving towards there, we could see the smoke from miles away.
Speaker 4: And this was.
Speaker 3: At like 10, 3, 11 o'clock at night.
Speaker 1: And in the days that followed, the questions multiplied. I'm your host, Casey, and this is Episode 7 of the Insta Scammer. Before the fire, Dean and Charlotte say, the house in the quiet neighborhood appeared completely normal from the outside. Dean had been to the property many times. It was where his children were living. And he and Charlotte would pick them up from there regularly.
Speaker 2: It was a really nice house. She was going to rent it from them because they were moving out of state. And so her and the kids all moved into this house. We would go and pick up the kids from there. It was in a really nice neighborhood down the street from the high school. The kids were homeschooled, but they still attended for sports and all that other stuff. Down the street was the kids' work. They worked at a coffee shop down the street. Really nice neighborhood. Kahira had her own means of transportation. Then a few of his kids got their license, so then they would all share a vehicle. No, she lived a pretty normal life.
Speaker 1: According to Dean and Charlotte, things were pretty typical. Arriving to pick up the children, the street that the house was on looked ordinary, stable, beautiful. That is what made what happened next so difficult for them to process. Dean and Charlotte arrived at the fire as quickly as they could. Their first concern was the children.
Speaker 2: We leave just to make sure and we were like, we can take the kids back with us. But she was like, no, they're staying with me. We already got a place. But we stayed there for a little bit to make sure that the kids were calmed down.
Speaker 1: Everyone was physically safe. But according to Dean and Charlotte, the choices Laura made in those first hours and in the weeks that followed were not ones they could easily account for. The Ozaukee Press reported on the fire in Port Washington, Wisconsin. Port Washington Fire Chief Mark Mitchell was quoted, We got there just at the right time. It could have turned into something much more serious. In addition to the Port Washington Fire Department responding, there were five other local fire departments that responded to the fire, with a sixth one standing by at the firehouse. The article confirmed that the family was renting the property, describing it as the house the family was renting. The article described Kahira Noelani as a holistic life coach and noted she had changed her name from Laura Lambrecht the previous year. The article reported that a GoFundMe had raised approximately $ 6, 500 at the time of publication. Tom and Joanne say that in the days following the fire, they began hearing things about the investigation that they couldn't easily make sense of. They talked me through the moments after learning about the fire and the subsequent conversations with the fire chief.
Speaker 4: And I said, do you see Kahira and the kids? Are they okay? So she runs outside. and gets through all this mess, and she can't find them. She finally finds them in Kahira's car, like a block up the street, and she's sitting there on the phone. So my sister-in-law knocks on the window, and Kahira opens the window, and she says, Have you talked to Joanne? Knowing full well that she has not, because she never called us. She goes, I've got her on the phone right here. Talk to her. She finally says yes. There's a fire. It's in the bathroom upstairs. My son was doing laundry and the other one smelled some smoke and then we all got out and everybody's fine. And I'm talking to Leanna and she's, you know, helping me. And I said, okay, you know, I'm really glad that you guys are all safe. Are you okay? And she said, oh yeah, we're fine. We'll be fine. I'll go, okay. So I let her get back on her conversation with Leanna. What we found out was that the fire was a dryer fire. And it started in the dryer. That was like a bathroom laundry room. All the true horrific damage was just in that room. The rest of the house had water damage from the firemen. But otherwise, if you walked through the house, you wouldn't have noticed anything except that maybe there was wet underneath.
Speaker 1: It's important to note here that these are Tom and Joanne's recollections of what officials told them, presented in their own account. And Tom and Joanne are explicit on one point. They do not know what caused the fire. They make no attribution. The cause of the fire has not been publicly determined. What Tom and Joanne describe is what they say they were told by investigators. Observations that left them with questions they say were never fully answered. As the investigation was still underway, the story inside Liana Shanti's community was already taking shape. Joanne was still a member of the Lemurian sisterhood inside Liana Shanti's community when the fire happened. She says she was watching its private group chat in the hours and days that followed.
Speaker 4: The next day in our little group chat, within the Lemurian sisterhood. Everybody's all concerned. Kahira's been, her house burned down, and she's talking about how horrible it is, and Leanna has diagnosed her with PTSD. Kahira said, yeah, you know, I went back there the next day, and it was amazing that my bedroom, which was right next to this bathroom, was completely saved and everything in there and Leanna's painting that she painted and all of their stuff was fine. It was just the one room and Leanna took credit. She said, yes, that's because I was saving the rest of the house for you and all of you. That she was putting some aura on it all. But what was interesting is that she was going on about how much she lost in her house. And it was one of the other ladies. She actually said, well, hey, wait a minute. Kahira was renting from Joanne. It was Joanne's house that has burned down. And this is horrible for her, too. This was her family home. So then everybody, oh, gosh, wow. Yeah, sorry. Yeah, sorry, Joanne. Yeah, that type of thing.
Speaker 5: After a few days, I resuscitated the conversation and asked, okay, we need to still talk about things. I think she was under the false impression she was going to get back into the house if the damage wasn't so small.
Speaker 6: Suddenly, for me anyway, everything was blocked.
Speaker 4: Then all of a sudden, she wasn't returning my phone calls because the insurance people said, okay, sorry for your loss, but we got to get moving.
Speaker 6: We had home insurance and a homeowner's policy. with rental coverage. She had a renter's insurance.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, her renter's insurance was completely paid up.
Speaker 1: Eventually, Joanne says she had to return to Wisconsin in person. The insurance assessment required access to the property, and Kahira's items still needed to be removed before their own insurer could complete its work.
Speaker 6: She was not helpful in working with the insurance adjuster for getting things out of the house. And that came to a head when Joanne was making a visit because we.
Speaker 5: Needed to get things out so we could have our own insurance assessment done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because part of the assessment was that our insurance would not pay for the removal of her stuff because she was a renter. One of my older sons and I got there first. So we had prepared ourselves for the fire damage. So I'm there in port. We go through the house and the most... heart-wrenching horribleness was going through the house and seeing all the damage that had nothing to do with the fire. I mean, our furniture and faucets and sinks and things had permanent marker scribbled all over it, paint everywhere. The bathrooms were just filthy. Some would say, oh, well, there was soot from the fire or whatever. It's like, no, no, this is just filth. There was grease everywhere in the kitchen, which also didn't make sense because if she was such a healthy food person, why is she prying stuff? There's like food splattered all over the walls. I mean, it was just filthy. Absolutely filthy. And then there was like garbage, like tons of garbage. Literally the day before our oldest sons and I arrived, she all of a sudden got everything out. We rented the dumpster. She should have. It was her stuff. But we rented it. So my son and I, we were going to have to remove everything. And I had texted her and said, if you don't remove your stuff, I guess we'll be going through all your stuff and removing it. Don't you want any of your things? So they all of a sudden, literally the day before we arrived, got rid of everything. So when our son and I are walking through the house, it's like filthy and tons of garbage and this and that, but that's without her furniture in there. It was just so devastating. I mean, the reason.
Speaker 7: We asked this and I put it in quotes, friend to rent our place was because they were going to take care of it.
Speaker 4: Like they loved it. And And it was just trashed.
Speaker 6: I think it's safe to say that you're finding the house was a real violation. Oh, yeah.
Speaker 5: And that physical house violation was kind of symbolic of what would become the violation of the relationship that you had with Laura and Liana.
Speaker 1: The fire occurred on April 22nd, 2020. And by April 24th, 2020, the GoFundMe fundraiser appeared online, with Kahira Noelani listed as the beneficiary. The campaign was titled Rebuilding Life After a House Fire. The campaign raised $ 9, 785 from 82 donors towards a $ 20, 000 goal. The campaign description stated that the fire had originated in a second-floor laundry area. It made no reference to the fact that Kahira Noelani was renting the property, nor to any outstanding debt owed to the property owners. The campaign is currently paused.
Speaker 6: A couple days after the fire is when the GoFundMe appeared. Somebody started a GoFundMe to help her.
Speaker 5: Nice picture of her kids in the attic with all the fire stuff.
Speaker 3: Nobody ever talked to us about it.
Speaker 5: No mention of the fact that it wasn't her home, which is kind of inconsequential, I guess, but very consequential if you're the actual homeowner.
Speaker 6: There was a follow-up article in the local weekly newspaper.
Speaker 3: Same thing.
Speaker 6: A lot of heartstrings pulled, but no mention of the fact that she was renting.
Speaker 1: And yet.
Speaker 6: owed us money.
Speaker 5: It's not like any of that ever came our direction, or she even talked.
Speaker 3: With us afterward.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because she made almost like 60 grand off of this whole fire.
Speaker 1: Here, Tom is describing that when he added up what he understood Kihira to have received from all sources in the weeks following the fire, he believes it to be around $ 60, 000. He is clear that this is his estimate, drawn from what he was told about the insurance settlement and what was publicly raised. None of it, he says, came their direction or helped to settle the renter's debt that Kahira Noelani still had outstanding. And then, Tom says, what happened next was something that he hadn't anticipated.
Speaker 6: But about that time, I was still in Washington State, Joanne was in Wisconsin. I was contacted by a landlord down in Whitefish Bay, a suburb of Milwaukee. She reached out to me independently and said, I have an application for rent from a Kahira Noelani landlord. And I happen to know enough about Port Washington and I've heard about the fire. So I put two and two together.
Speaker 5: Okay. Here I had listed two, three, two, whatever as her last address, which is our address. So I said, Oh, Oh, we've got a lot.
Speaker 6: We can tell you about this.
Speaker 5: And I forwarded her onto Joanne and Joanne gave her the whole story. And as a result, the woman was very thankful and said, Oh, thank goodness.
Speaker 6: I learned this information. I'm not going to rent to her.
Speaker 5: And, uh, That little act, which was simply following up on somebody else contacting us, is what led to real problems for Joanne and that whole HMI world.
Speaker 7: So what was funny is she called and she said, oh, you know, would you be a reference for her? And I went, she put us down as a reference? She goes, no, it's just that I know about the town and I knew about you guys. And I just called you because I figured you were the last landlord.
Speaker 1: According to Joanne, that phone call set off a chain reaction. The very next day, she says she received a message from Liana Shanti herself.
Speaker 4: So then the key thing was the day after that, all of a sudden I get a text message directly from Liana saying that I have been kicked out of the Lemurian sisterhood. that the rest of my monthly fee of $ 89 would be reimbursed to me. And I'm like, oh, well, that's nice. Because supposedly I had said all these horrible things to this perceptive landlord and made it so that Kahira could not rent from anyone. And so I texted her back because I was thinking, Wait a minute. I shouldn't be the one that's being kicked out. It should be Kahira. She's the one that's not legit here. And so, amazingly, Leanna did call me. And she didn't charge me. So I told her everything that had happened to the house, all the stuff that's going on. Leanna screwed up. She made a huge mistake. Because I said, yeah, she hasn't paid us 15 months of rent. And she goes, oh. Well, I knew she was behind on rent for maybe like two months, but I didn't realize it was that long. And the light bulb went on in my head. I'm like, oh, wait a minute. You're the clairvoyant one that supposedly can see people's bathrooms and if they're dirty or not. And what? You didn't know that she hadn't been paying rent? And she said, well, you're dark. For some reason, I'm dark. And, you know, I'm just going to let Kahira decide if and when you're allowed back into the group. And I was just like, what the heck?
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 2: Fine.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 4: I obviously figured out that it was a total scam. But the key thing she said to me at the end of that conversation was, do not talk to anybody in the group. Do not contact anybody. And if anybody tries to contact you, do not talk to them. And I will know if you do. So that was her threat. And then I thought back over time of threats that had been made to other people and other people that had been like kicked out or she removed them because they were dark. And she even went so far to say is this one woman who was going against her now has cancer and was dying because she went against Leanna. One woman had been sucked back in by her husband, and now she no longer does any of her artwork and stuff. She's lost all creativity because she went back. She got sucked back in by her husband. Anyway, so there was a threat. So I have no idea what horrible story was told about me within the group.
Speaker 5: You had seen people kicked out of the group while you were a member, so you kind of knew the drill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I knew that, you know, some horrible story would be told. Because no one could make a decision without, of course, asking Leanna first. And she would say, yes, you need to do this. You need to do this. But, you know, don't tell anybody that I told you to do this. It has to come from you. You have to believe. I just remember this one woman saying, And she was like so torn, probably like me, about leaving her husband. And she was being told, you know, you need to leave him. We need to leave him. And all of these, the planets are in the right vector or whatever. You need to do it now. Otherwise, you're going to lose your opportunity. And she would never do it. So then the next week they ask, oh, well, did you do it? No. Because I wasn't doing it either. You know, I wasn't leaving Tom, and I kept questioning, kept questioning. And you could just hear it in the things that she said, that she was just frustrated because they weren't doing it. I remember that woman, because she just would not take her star moments and leave her husband. Then all of a sudden, she just wasn't around anymore. Then she would come up with some crude story. I just remember one person, she said, oh, yes, I found out that she was very dark and she was doing voodoo on people in our group and had made all these dolls and was shoving pins into them.
Speaker 1: Alongside the community and spiritual elements of the group, there was also a business structure that Joanne had been operating within. As a now-certified HMI coach, she was supposed to earn commission when clients enrolled in courses through her referral code.
Speaker 4: One of the things that we kind of skipped over here was that I was doing HMIs things and, you know, working with people. And how it all worked was that your clients would buy the course material through Leanna, through Leanna's website, and they would use a code that was connected to the health coach directly. And so then that's how Leanna would then pay you our commission for it, right? Well, I think the very first client I had, I got paid, but then everybody else after that never got any money. I was working with a website guy who said, oh, well, we can fix that. Because I was told that Leanna was so busy, she couldn't get to everybody's commissions because she was working on all these new things and she'll get to it. She'll get to it. So I proposed what we can do is your customers can buy their course material on my website and my website would automatically... take my commission and then send Leanna her portion of it. And so no one has to do any kind of administrative work. And I actually talked to Kahira about it because, you know, now she's supposed to be managing the HMI stuff. And she's thought, wow, that's awesome. That's really a great thing because everybody was kind of having troubles, right? Getting paid. And she goes, this is fabulous. Well, she lent up the ladder to Kahira. Liana, and Liana absolutely kiboshed it. No way. Nope, that's not how I do business. We're doing it this way and only this way. So she wanted everything going through her thing and that she would pay out people when it was convenient or, in most cases, not convenient for her.
Speaker 1: Joanne says Liana Shanti's reasoning, as relayed to her, was simple. All transactions had to go through Liana Shanti's system. No alternatives. and Joanne says that left all commission payments subject entirely to Liana Shanti's timing and discretion. The irony, Joanne says, was not lost on her. Kihira had spent months doing advanced coursework through this same system. Coursework, Joanne says, Liana Shanti gave her for free, while owing Tom and Joanne nearly $ 20, 000 in unpaid rent.
Speaker 4: I don't know, a couple hundred bucks. But then there were all these courses... here and there. Then they had another one of these just for special people course, you know, like the second time. And they encouraged me, oh, you should do it again because you learned so much more. And Kahira was going to be on that one. And that one, I think, you know, it was probably $ 1, 500 or, you know, whatever it was. And I do remember her like saying to me, oh, well, Leanna is, she's letting me do this one. I'm not paying for it. So she did, she saw the disconnect of that she was doing all these things with Leanna.
Speaker 6: But not paying us rent.
Speaker 4: But not paying us rent.
Speaker 6: So the excuse was it was for free to her.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: By the end of 2020, Tom and Joanne say they had accepted that the informal route was not going to resolve things. They began gathering every document they had, communications the rent spreadsheet Kahira had agreed to, and filed a civil lawsuit. Tom says he also wrote letters to two people directly connected to Kahira's life at the time. The first letter went to Gordon Eisendrath, the actual owner of a property in Whitefish Bay where Tom understood Kahira to be living, identified through public tax records. The letter described the rental, the fire and the outcome of the civil proceedings. The second letter went to Dean, a factual account of the judgment. Tom says both letters were written without accusation. He wanted people in Kahira's immediate orbit to have the information he hadn't had when she first approached him.
Speaker 5: So we put together all the facts and communications and we put it in front of a small claims.
Speaker 3: Lawyer back home.
Speaker 5: Our goal was to get a small claims judgment against her for the facts. The rent, that's factual. So we filed for the full extent of the background. And it took about six months.
Speaker 3: From our court.
Speaker 6: She tried her best to defend herself.
Speaker 5: We made sure that the suit was.
Speaker 6: Filed against both her names, Laura Lamb, Brezhnev, Kaker, and Noelani.
Speaker 5: Our end goal is what we had got. If you want to do a public record search now, you will find it. We were given a default judgment against her. I sent her a note about every two or three months, just a kind little, hey, if you look at this judgment against you, you still.
Speaker 3: Owe us this money.
Speaker 5: It Nothing inflammatory, just, hey, you cut me off of all communications, but here's my contact information if you would like to call us to start to make good on this judgment.
Speaker 6: She never did.
Speaker 5: I also wrote two other letters.
Speaker 3: I wrote one to her ex-husband, and I wrote one.
Speaker 5: To her current landlord, whom I found by just public records. Again, not inflammatory, just letting them know that we were her previous landlord. She left us with a lot of rent owed. She went to the Whitefish Bay Wisconsin Police Department and tried to get some sort of complaint against me. I'm not sure what came of it, but we never heard from the Whitefish Bay Police Department per se.
Speaker 6: They called our attorney who told them the facts.
Speaker 5: But we got a strangely formal cease and desist letter from Kahira on a letterhead that was Kahira Noelani's.
Speaker 1: A lot of the documents and letters and evidence that are described in this episode have been forwarded onto the production team. On March 13th, 2021, Kohira Noelani sent Tom and Joanne a cease and desist letter written on her own personal headed paper, not from a law firm. The letter stated she had contacted the Whitefish Bay Police Department and ordered them to stop contacting her. Her current landlord... her ex-husband, her clients, her neighbours and her friends. The letter specifically named the rental house and the fire at Tom and Joanne's address as a subject matter they were ordered to stop discussing. Eighteen days later, another letter arrived. Dated March 31st, 2021, addressed to Tom and signed by someone identifying themselves as Aralyn Shiri, a community name associated with members of Liana Shanti's group. This was received at Tom's address. The letter carried no professional letterhead and no return address. It described Tom as a sexual predator who has stalked Kahira. It also contained a direct accusation against Joanne that she had asked Kahira to try to seduce Tom in order to prove his infidelity. No evidence has been produced to support either allegation. Aralin Shiri is still believed to be a community member within Lian Ashanti's digital ecosystem. No identification or professional credentials were listed in the letter.
Speaker 5: But shortly after that, I got a letter from this Aralin who's down in the Quad Cities. You know, no letterhead, but a short letter telling me that I'm a sexual predator and I needed to leave Kahiro alone.
Speaker 3: So it's like, uh-oh.
Speaker 5: The pit bulls are out.
Speaker 4: But that showed you how she could just go and say, you're a sexual predator. You know, she's just making up shit.
Speaker 1: The letter that accused both of them, Tom and Joanne, say they understood it for what it was, an attempt to generate a story about people who were asking difficult questions. Joanne notes it fit the same pattern she had watched play out against others inside the group. By the autumn of 2021, Tom and Joanne say they learned that Kahira had filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection.
Speaker 5: By fall of 2021, we had heard from our attorney that she had filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Speaker 6: And although I tried.
Speaker 5: To insert myself into those proceedings, it looks like our legal judgment debt, along with every other.
Speaker 6: Debt she had, was all just wiped away with a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Speaker 5: It was odd to us because she had apparently filed for Chapter 7 as a household back in, I don't.
Speaker 6: Know, 2013 or whatever, seven years ago, gets you.
Speaker 5: I'm still not quite sure how this is allowed in our society, but we were told by our attorney, once that debt has been retired by Chapter 7, you cannot and must not make any kind of a claim toward your previous judgment. So that was the last thing. I've really not heard or thought about that woman since.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And what was also interesting, when you file for bankruptcy, you have to wait seven years before you can do it again. It was almost to the date of when she could file bankruptcy again. One of the things, too, going through the house, she didn't get rid of all the garbage. like the garbage can. And there, when I went through the garbage can, there were all these unpaid bills, not even opened. So credit cards, and of course, Since she'd already gone through bankruptcy once before, she's not going to get a Visa or MasterCard or whatever. But they were all like stores, Ulta and those types of credit cards that they just sign people up no matter what. Don't really look at their credit history or whatever.
Speaker 5: Over the next few months, Joanne and I decided, you know, Joanne's totally out and is kind of re-evaluating all the things in her life.
Speaker 4: Like apologizing left and right i feel so stupid and that's you know my biggest thing is with this whole thing i feel like such an idiot when i finally see it and so in a sense this whole house thing while horrible it was probably the best thing that could have happened because to have this happen so you could see that oh these people are scam artists i.
Speaker 5: Don't know that it was uh crystal ball fortune but i think a lot of my feelings were just to play the long game on this because to confront joanne during the middle of it would have really caused more problem than it was worth it was just a question of waiting for it to resolve i'm.
Speaker 4: More upset with myself for falling for it and my friends you know and even tom have said no they were really really good They were so good at twisting, twisting, twisting. They're still the people that you married or loved or, you know, whatever. And now they're really going to need your help. Because if I didn't have Tom and my girlfriends, like my girlfriends would encourage me to do this because they said, I think you need closure, even though it's been this long.
Speaker 5: I felt like it was time when I found your email.
Speaker 4: We would never insinuate by any means that She started the fire. We don't know. And to this day, the insurance company, all they know is that they sent the dryer off to be inspected and they found nothing wrong with the dryer. So the insurance company couldn't go after the dryer manufacturer because that's what they were hoping, right? So to this day, and I don't know if it's because of COVID or whatever, we don't know why a fire started in the dryer and how that would have happened.
Speaker 1: While Tom and Joanne were navigating the financial and legal aftermath of the entire situation, Dean was living with a different kind of consequence, one that had been building quietly for years and that had by this point become the defining weight of everything that had happened. Dean's children.
Speaker 2: Three of his children stayed in his life after one decided not to come around anymore. From the outside looking in, somebody might say, like, why didn't you guys take legal action because this child was still under the age of 18? We did seek legal advice, even though our attorney said, yeah, I do feel like there's something here and we can take it to court. Have you ever put any thought into what then? You have this group. child who has been brainwashed to think that you guys are the enemy now you have taken this child away from the mother and now this child is in your home what then he was still able to see this child at the tournaments basketball tournaments and stuff well then those all ended and he was no longer able to see this child so then after a few months we didn't hear from another one of his kids And so we decided to do a wellness check.
Speaker 1: Whitefish Bay Police Department records confirm a welfare check was filed on April 27th, 2023. Dispatch notes record, caller states his wife is in a cult now. Leader convinces them to go to Florida and abandon their children. Officers attended the address. Kahira Noelani told them everything was fine and that the children were purposefully not communicating with their father. She also told the responding officer that she had domestic violence concerns about her ex-husband. Three days later, Dean returned to the police station in person. This time, he named the community directly. On April 30th, at the Whitefish Bay Police Department, Dean described concerns about his ex-wife's involvement in what he called the Liyana Shanti cult, and that the Liyana Shanti community was posting untrue things about him on the internet. He expressed concern about his 15-year-old daughter's welfare. Police advised him that his concerns were civil in nature and referred him to an attorney and to family court to address the placement of his daughter.
Speaker 2: Well, then the wellness check ended up backfiring a little bit because the mother lied. His ex lied and told the kids that he was doing a wellness check on the two boys that are in college, not even in the state. And when they blasted him on the internet for this, they didn't even mention the child that we were actually doing the wellness check on. Totally kept his child out of the equation and just focused on the two boys that were out of the state in college. And then the boys started texting.
Speaker 3: Nasty texts to me, calling me crazy for doing that. Using profanities that I had never heard from them before. And now all of a sudden they're just blasting me with it. and pretty much saying that we want nothing to do with you from now on.
Speaker 1: The exchange that followed was made public, not by Dean and not by his children, but by Liana Shanti on her Instagram. On her public Instagram account, at Liana Shanti, Liana Shanti posted a series of Instagram stories featuring screenshots of private messages sent by Kahira Noolani's adult sons to Dean. The post included Dean's full name, and was labelled Kihira's adult son's messaging dean. One post had a caption saying, the silly little story they kept trying to perpetuate. A separate story framed the posts as, truly a beautiful example of what it looks like when a powerful divine feminine woman who has healed her wounds raises three incredible boys into amazing young men. The accompanying text read, such strong divine masculine men Kihira raised. The sons wrote to Dean that they'd grown up and realized how terrible of a father he had been. One message, which Liana quoted separately on its own black slide in enlarged white text, read, We are finally happy without him in our lives. So stop this shit. We're sick and tired of all the pain he's caused. Posted by Liana Shanti as a standalone pull quote on her public Instagram stories.
Speaker 3: And so now I went from, you know, one of my children, not having a relationship with me to now all four not wanting a relationship with me. And I mean, that was heartbreaking. And I just remember sobbing. And if I keep thinking about it, it will affect me. I mean, it does on a daily basis. I think about my kids all the time.
Speaker 2: He still reaches out to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I send them texts here and there, and I never get a response, which is difficult. The one response I got was, stop texting us.
Speaker 1: For Dean and Charlotte, the silence from the children has been one of the most painful consequences of everything that transpired. And over time, they've developed their own view about why that distance remains and what they believe Kahira's fate will be if she remains within the community.
Speaker 2: Like, I honestly don't think she's going to turn her back on Leon. If she's in it till the end, that's how I feel about it. I would love to be wrong about that. I would love for her to wake up and get out of this and just be done with all of it. I think for Kahira, if Liana says it, then it's true. I've actually seen a post. If this is what Liana likes, I like it too. And I do feel like she loves Liana like a mother. Liana has taken over as her mother. And also, the kids feel the same way. I mean, they've wrote it numerous times, like, Liana has been more of a mother to me than anything. They think the same way of her. It's the same way Liana coaches Kahira. And who knows? Maybe Liana's coaching the kids. I mean, you know that they're all homeschooled, and you know Liana has homeschool programs, curriculums. And it's crazy when I found that out. I'm like, oh my gosh, so they've been homeschooled by this woman too. Like, It just goes so much deeper than we thought. To be honest with you, this whole thing, like I used to be obsessed. I asked my husband, I was obsessed with this. And eventually there was just one day where like I'm working on this chronology and I totally lost interest. I was like, I'm done. I'm walking away. I don't care anymore. And then from then on, like we've had such peace in our home. It was so freeing. It was so freeing. It was a weight lifted off of my shoulders.
Speaker 3: We started, you know, dating and we started having conversations about Jesus, the church again. And it all came pouring back into my life again. And I yearned for it. Well, then I started attending her church and, you know, meeting friends, family. The last couple of years now, we've been attending the same church, really got involved in volunteering, and it's been good. It's been really good. We've been serving together, we're volunteering together.
Speaker 2: It's what keeps us grounded, to be honest with you, because, like, going through what we've gone through, it's really hard not to be reactive, and I feel like, me personally, like, God has taught me so much through this process. I have learned not to be reactive. I've always been a very reactive person, like, You burn me, I'm gonna burn you. Like, I need to speak my truth now. Like, now you're gonna hear the other side of the story. But it's really taught me, like, I don't need to get the last word. Like, the other side of the story, would it even matter if I told it? Who knows? Would you listen?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of people, when you get married, you go through things over time. We faced it immediately. It was like, we got that craziness out of the way. Not to say we won't. face other craziness, but.
Speaker 3: We were literally thrown into the fire immediately.
Speaker 2: Like I had a huge death in my family. I lost my mom at the same time. He lost one of his children who just totally turned their back on him. Um, and it was heartbreaking. And I, you know, I'm grieving my mom and not realizing, oh my gosh, he's grieving his child. You know, so we're both trying to get this through together. I'm needing him to, like, be the strength for me. But I'm like, wait a minute. He's grieving too. And I feel like, you know, with a death of somebody, an actual death of somebody, there's a final. It's final. When you lose a child like that who you know is still out there, there's no closure to that.
Speaker 1: For Dean and Charlotte, the loss isn't final in the way death is final. The children are still out there somewhere. And that leaves one question that will never quite go away. What if, one day, they all decide they want to come home?
Speaker 3: I would just say that's an answer to prayer. I mean, we've both prayed over this whole situation that they all come out of it, snap out of it and wake up and see just how deceived they were and how deceiving Liana is. And that they just see the grander picture. But no, if that were to happen, I'd say we would both be welcoming and helping them to recover and supportive as much as we could be. I mean, my dream is to have my kids back again.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I definitely agree with him. As much as, I mean, the Bible teaches us that as much as we are forgiven, we're required to forgive. I forgive her now. Even though I feel like she's torn things apart and separated my husband from his children, like, I forgive her now. Because I'm not going to allow that unforgiveness to hold us down in our lives, you know? Like, we forgave her a long time ago. It's hard. It's not easy to forgive.
Speaker 3: And the crazy thing is, you know, we both, we have literal dreams about the kids all the time, you know? And a lot of it is, like, they're, you know, we can tell they're hurting and wanting to come out, but They're stuck and they're so lost and they're brainwashed. But we're ready for them to snap out of it.
Speaker 1: By the end of this story, Tom and Joanne had lost a home, money, and friendship they say was built on deception. Dean and Charlotte were left with something even harder to quantify. Children still alive, but increasingly unreachable. And in both cases... the same name sat at the centre of the fallout. Next time, we widen the lens again and follow that pattern further. Because the deeper we go into Liana Shanti's world, the clearer it becomes that none of these families were isolated cases.
Speaker 8: And then you see this person in front of you who is a real human being. It's the weirdest, most, like, validating experience ever the woman that i saw in person the woman that i listened talked to in a courthouse with a judge was a person who is very manipulative who is very aware of what she is doing liana shanty i think that's a made-up person.
Speaker 1: I'm your host casey And join us next time for episode
Speaker 4: Eight of the Insta Scammer.