Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray w BZY Constance Radio.
Speaker 2: Nor Griffith, thanks very much. Trevian Henderson is a stud with Ohio State. He is a player, and my prediction is that he will be the number one or two running back for the Patriots this year. Those have done well so far on their draft choices. I think Henderson's the best pick of the second rod. I'm surprised he lasted that long anyway. Always good to hear from Al Griffith here on a Friday night. We're a little bit after ten o'clock now and we're continuing on conversation and reacting to a piece of legislation that has been filed up on Beacon Hill. I certainly hope it doesn't pass. My friend Harvey Silverglate and I are in disagreement on this, but we had with us last hour. Dan Delaney. He is a lobbyist up there, the Daniel Delaney of the Delaney Policy Group, and he answered questions honestly and straightforward, which is great. He and I. He knew that he would that I would disagree with him. I think it's crazy to eliminate life without parole again. We eliminated the death penalty based upon the argument that, well, you know, if you unless you're absolutely sure, and I've tried to narrow my view of the death penalty on it. I would still support a death penalty if it's without a scentilla of doubt. And I'm talking about something like the Boston bombers, where there are aggravating circumstances. Boston bombers, the Boston bomber number two, which is a perfect characterization of the Boston bomber. We don't use his name, we just call him number two, which he is. He has now lived on the public dole from for whoever they came here from, Dagaistan, god knows. But he's been incarcerated for twelve years. I say that it's time for him to be disposed of because again, there is no sintilla of doubt of what he did, and there are no mitigating circumstances. And there are some significant aggravating circumstances in terms of the number of people who they killed, the innocent people who were there just to watch the marathon on April fifteen, twenty thirteen. But we're not talking about that. What they're talking about now is getting rid of life without parole because back they're twenty years ago, they were saying.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, these inmates, they're really afraid of life without parole. They you know, they want the death penalty, and they in fact, they all.
Speaker 2: Try to avoid the death penalty. But that's neither hear nor there. So it was used as a lever leverage to eliminate the death penalty in Massachusetts, and now it's being used to eliminate life without parole. And the toughest sentence would be twenty five years with the possibility parole, which of course means the family would have to go to if they chose to the parole board hearings, they would have to relive every twenty five years, and maybe more often, because if you get a parle and you're denying at twenty five, maybe they'll come. These guys have nothing else to do. A file again, Let me get a ride, Let me get a ride to the prole board. I just tell you this, the progressives in Massachusetts are running the state, and if they ran the state, this is the way they would like to run the state in Massachusetts. And my guest made the point, which is legitimate, that deterrence, punishment, public safety well, they took away to Terrance. In terms of the death penalty across the board, that's number one, and then in terms of punishment. Now, what they're saying is it's conceivable that someone could be somehow restored after twenty five years. I don't think so. They didn't give the person who they killed an didn't say that the look, I'll be back and I'll kill you in twenty five years, but you got twenty five years left to live. Public safety, keep them locked up. Let's go back to the call is the only will we have one line at six one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty and one line at six one seven. Gonna go to Jim. Jim, you were next on night side.
Speaker 4: Welcome and thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Are you I'm doing great, Jim. What's your take on this?
Speaker 4: Well, I've called in about this before, but I'll just remind you the reason why you have to have l WOP or the death penalty is because, and you already said this, but a lot of these depraved people are mobbed up with other deveaved people, and if they think that there's any chance whatsoever that doing more crime or killing more people will get their friend released early then they will do just exactly that. So there has to be certain people.
Speaker 2: Give me an example of that. Give me an example. I don't follow that, Jim. So so some you know, some guy is in prison, uh life without parole.
Speaker 4: Dan want gangs?
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 4: Gangs they're connected, Dan, they don't. They're not just like oh, our guy went off to prison. They stay connected in the joint.
Speaker 2: So if they have the possibility of parole, how how's that going to lead to another murder? That's what I'm confused about.
Speaker 5: No extortion.
Speaker 2: I still don't understand that. Jim, explain it to me so I can get it. I just I'm not following my fault.
Speaker 4: This is another This is another example of the same type of activity. But these uh South American gangs, if there's a concert down in Mexico and they don't want it to happen, they'll just call and a level of threat and then people know that they follow through on their threats, so then they can they can cause things to not happen and things to happen. But if if everybody knows that there's that, no matter what they do, they're not to be able to affect any change in that area. Then they won't do it. But if there's a possibility that there would they will affect change, then they will do just about anything too.
Speaker 2: No. But but I'm saying, if let's say there is someone who's coming up on a parole hearing after twenty five years, I'm opposed to this because certain crimes murdering the first degree. You know, there's no reason to change that at this point. But let's assume they change it. Are you suggesting that then people are going to threaten parole officers or family members. Don't testify against my friend who's coming up for parole after having killed your family members. That is that the point you're trying to make.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know exactly how they would do it or how exactly they do it. All I know there are certain people that are absolutely ruthless, and if they think they could do something to get their friend out earlier, then they will do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think I would agree with you. There are very bad people, and there are people I know who extort money from people, and they will they can say to someone in some of these countries, you're not going to have a concert, because I get that. But I didn't understand harves Will related to this. Thanks Jim, have a great weekend. We will continue with our conversations. The only line open right now is six one seven, nine three, one, ten thirty. There were two lines there, so don't break your knuckles or your fingernails dialing six one, seven, two, five four ten thirty. Those lines are full. Six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Is there anyone out there who thinks that the idea of getting rid of life without parole for murder in the first degree and potentially some other crimes. There's a there's a crime out of Norway that was brought to my attention today. There was a guy who killed I think it was eighty five school kids at a camp in Norway. And this guy, I guess, is now parole eligible. That's I got to look it up during the break here. But we always have these these The progressors will say, well, in Europe they don't treat people in prison as harshly as I don't care. But there's this case in Europe, which again has no application to us. But the guy killed eighty five kids or something like that, some bizarre number at a summer camp and he theoretically has a right to parole hearings back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, as I said, I talked about this Norwegian guy. His name is Anders Brevic. He killed in a car bombing in Oslo in July of twenty eleven, eight people in a car bomb. Then he went to a summer camp and killed sixty nine kids in a summer camp. So he killed in total seventy seven people. This is in Norway, a much more enlightened country than ours. He was jailed from maximum of twenty one years, which means he will be released as I read this story in twenty thirty two, that's like what eight years from seven years from now. So he applied in twenty twenty two for parole. They decided that he's still crazy, he's a dangerous guy, and they kept him. But oh yeah, when he showed up he renounced violence. But he gave Nazi salutes in the opening day of the hearing. But of course you'll have some folks here who are going to say, oh, yeah, you know, we should have a criminal justice system more like Norway or Sweden or Denmark or Germany or whatever. It's insane. And here in Massachusetts you have the progressives who never stop. They are like that mosquito that's flying around in your room at night and you hear him, he's in your ear and you swat your ear. You can't see him at night. They just never stop and they will not stop with this either. Let's go next to I, Leen and Waltham, I lean next on nightside.
Speaker 6: Welcome, Welcome to you, good evening, Dadhileen. So just to I think one of the problems is we don't want to believe that evil exists. And it does.
Speaker 2: It sure does.
Speaker 6: And I think that's part of the problem. There's so many people that don't realize will becoming a more and more secular society where we don't think evil exists. And all you have to do is look at October seventh to seek evil, incredible evil, and it's and it exists everywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, we got people, we got people in the United States today who are demonstrating on college campuses from the river to the sea. And all that means is eliminate finished the job that Hamas started on October seventh. They want they want everyone out of Israel. Are everyone in Israel dead? And those are college students at Ivy League colleges we're not talking about. Yeah, and I'm sure the guy who gave over there in normally who gives the Nazi salute, would also endorse that philosophy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but we really don't want to believe in evil and it's out there. And I think there were some we talk about there were some people that are just playing a moral they're not in moral there amorl. They don't have anywhere.
Speaker 2: Around marvels too, none whatsoever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so they so it's not they're not in moral, they just don't have any And I think, I mean, there are some things that have done that nobody can.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 6: And here's the other thought too, just a quick thought. If say you have somebody who when they were twenty five, thirty, whatever whatever age, kill somebody if they have a change, an attitude, change in soul, whatever you want to call it, a lot of those people would stay in jail because they believe that's where they belong.
Speaker 2: I understand that point. I understand that was the point.
Speaker 6: If you really had a real conversion, yeah, they you'd be happy to stay in.
Speaker 2: Jail by the way, I should have done this last hour. But for those here in Massachusetts, let me give this legislation was first introduced in twenty nineteen by Representative Jay Livingstone and Senator Joseph Boncoori. At that time, it was supported also by the chair of the Judiciary Committee, Senator Jamie Eldridge. This year's legislation is sponsored by Representative Chris Worrell and State Senator Liz Miranda. So if you live in their districts, realize that the person who represents you in the state legislature is one of the sponsors of this piece of legislation. If not in twenty nineteen, now in twenty twenty four. And if you feel as strongly as I do about this, you might want to think about maybe running for office here in Massachusetts because we got a pretty interesting collection of characters in our legislature.
Speaker 5: Indefinitely.
Speaker 6: Here's another thought. If you look at different things like abortion, is it is another issue I have a problem with. First it was the first what nine weeks or something that it went up, and then it went up, and then Jerry and all of a sudden, now it's right up to the birth of the child.
Speaker 7: Well again, yeah, as they say that that is a subject again, yeah, I leen, it's it's that is one of those issues that really does involve a lot of morality and also religion based. And again I you know, I I feel as you do on that issue, but I don't want to mix it up with this one because this.
Speaker 6: Is something the process of first, you know, first we're going to have you.
Speaker 2: I get it. Well, it's called incrementalism. I understand. I lean, I'm not stupid, you can, I lean, I lean, I get your point. Okay, it's called incrementalism. Okay, it's as simple as that. I mean, pretty much saying the same way when you talk about evil. When Hitler expanded in Europe, you know, first he only wanted a piece of this country. Then he wanted a little bit of this country, that a little bit, and then he wanted the rest of that country. So that's incrementalistmer as well. Ilean, thank you for your call. As always, we talk again, Thank you much. Let me go to Berlin. It's I hope I pronounced it correctly. Is it Berlin in Malden?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You did?
Speaker 8: You pronounce it correctly?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 9: Dan?
Speaker 8: How are you? And I I haven't called him many many years.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, well, thank you for listening. Nonetheless, what's your thought on this issue?
Speaker 8: And it's Belanda the Bee. So I volunteer in prison. I'm a volunteer teacher in a program called Another Way to Go. I've been leading in prison since twenty eighteen. And those include Susan Baranovski, which is the maximum security prison MC I conquered MCI framing him, and I'm currently leading two times a week at MCI Norfolk. Both programs have twenty two participants in them. It's an eighteen week program, okay.
Speaker 9: And I'm with.
Speaker 8: Jan Delaney and I'm also with you. So, I mean, dude, I think there's the part of after twenty five years, just looking to look and revise and see bus this patison perhaps eligible for reconsidering the fact of being able to have parole, I think is appropriate. I have, you know, forty four currently participants in our program, and out of those forty four, a good majority or a good portion, let's say, fifty percent have life sentences. Out of those, there's many that have that had life sentences without parole, but when they committed their crime, they were twenty or nineteen and they now are eligible because there was a new bill that was passed and if they were under the age of twenty one, they would now be able to go.
Speaker 2: No, that's another example where I can find twenty psychiatrists next week who will tell me that their frontal their brain is not fully developed and formed until they're thirty. And so if we now have you know, said okay, people, and I guess we now say we're going to revisit those those cases. Why not reduce it? Why not bring it up to thirty? Is it inconceivable that someone at twenty nine could could commit a murder and twenty five years later when they're fifty five, you know, not be a different person. They might be a different person. But I would, respectfully and I'm so glad you called, but I would respectfully disagree with you because I don't know when someone has committed murder in the first degree. You know as well as I do that when they eliminated capital punishment, one of the arguments was to commit murder into first degree, you should stay away from stay in prison for life now to see and shift and now we're using that same argument to give people parole. What do you say to the families, and let me ask you this question. What do you say?
Speaker 4: Sorry? Good with you?
Speaker 8: I mean, this is such a such a That's why I was driving on the highway and I pulled over so I could try.
Speaker 2: Sure, no, I appreciate it. So what do you say? Here's my question. You sound like you're an off the good person, and I mean that seriously. I'm not. I'm not being you know, sarcastic at all. I admire what you're doing and the fact that you're doing it as a volunteers is amazing to me. Okay, but what do you say to the family, to the progeny of you know, someone whose mom or dad was murdered twenty five years ago, maybe when they were five or six year old? Yeah, so what how do.
Speaker 8: You It's awful and how do you balance that?
Speaker 2: The question is how do you balance? How do you balance that interest? That's what my trouble is here.
Speaker 8: Right, and I'm trying to get to that. So the definitely the crime itself, there's no that you know, there's no taking that back, and it's awful. However, there's also the human part of things, and I would say there's a it's not all black or white. There's lots of shades of gray. And when you actually.
Speaker 2: Bellin, Bellen, here's what I got it. I got to break for news. But do me a favors. Since you've been kind enough to pull over, I don't want to cut you short of rush you. Let's hold Can you hold on for another couple of minutes. Let's get through the newscast and I'll pick you up on the other side. Fair enough, sure enough?
Speaker 5: Problem okay.
Speaker 2: I want you to be able to think your thoughts clearly. I don't want to feel safe. You only got one minute left or something. I want to give you the time because you had the coverage to call. Be back with Bellin from Blun from Meldon will be back on nights Side. If you'd like to join the conversation. We're going to talk about this till eleven. I hope six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. But Bellin is up on the other side of the news. Right after this, you're.
Speaker 1: On Night Side with Dan Ray on waz Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks Al Griffin. Let me get back to my caller that I have held over, Billin, who's calling in from Malden. She works as a volunteer in Massachusetts prisons helping prisoners learn how to read, and she seems to be of mixed mind on this we're discussing is a piece of legislation for those of you who are just joining us, filed here in Massachusetts to eliminate life without parole. Bella and I interrupted you. Thank you for sticking with us once you continue with your thoughts.
Speaker 8: Okay, thank you. And just to clarify, the program that we lead is not to read. It's a ontological and transformational thinking program. So what we deal with is really looking at your thoughts, your internal dialogue, your reactions, interpretation, and how that all relates to behavior and actions and then impact of those actions. So just to clarify that. Yeah, and so what I was saying earlier is there there's lots of shades of gray. It's not just black and white. I mean the person in Norway. In Norway, I think you said you know that person. I would say, yes, definitely, that person should not be eligible or parole. However, you might have somebody that perhaps reacted to their daughter getting raped and at that point maybe they killed somebody because they took their law in their own hands the moment they saw the person that they know is the one that raped their child. At that point, they committed a crime, and the law is the same for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think that I think that in that situation, that person would probably be looking at us second agree murder at least in Massachusetts, or a manslaughter. They would have to pay for the crime. We do not encourage people to engage in what's called self help, but I don't think that that individual would get a murder in the first degree with the subsequent life sentence without parole. So my question is this, though I'm sure that there's a whole bunch of examples you can give us of people who are in other people who are in there for life in prison without parole, meaning they can be I.
Speaker 8: Have many participants in my program that have life sentences with no parole.
Speaker 6: Okay, question is okay?
Speaker 2: Question is of those who you think would would would benefit from a parole hearing that they have life without parole so they don't have a right to a hearing. What percentage of those that you've been exposed to do you think should, based upon your observations, be paroled back into society.
Speaker 8: So based upon my observations and based upon my opinion of the participants that are in my class. Now, one thing to point out is I don't know if I have the worst of the worst in my class. However, based on the ones that I do have in my class over eight years of doing this work, I would say the majority. I would give them that opportunity to be able to present themselves. And here's why, because they are in they're in prison, and so then they have access to education, they have access to programs, so they're not just sitting there idly, and they're actually very hungry for transforming and improving and getting better. That's my orgization.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thank you for that. Now, so my question is this, of the however many there would be, whether or not it's half or more or all of them. Now, again we're talking about people. This is murder in the first degree. So this is premeditation, deliberation, This is not a moment of passion. This is not murdering the second This is murdering the first degree. Okay, murdering the second degree, you're parole eligible after fifteen years in Massachusetts. Murder in the first degree, you're going to give these people parole hearings, which then you're going to have to revisit this horrific crime on the families of the victims, the survivors.
Speaker 8: Yes, that I think is also for the families.
Speaker 2: So then my question to you is what do you say to the loved ones who are going to have to go to the parole hearing and listen to some psychologists tell us how that the guy that brutally murdered their their mom or their dad or whomever, uh now should be paroled. What what do you what empathy? What do you say to them to help get them through this this reliving of this nightmare.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's such a hard question done because what do.
Speaker 2: You it's intended to be.
Speaker 8: Of course I understand that, and and that's the thing I mean I personally, I mean, it's so hard. I don't know if you've ever seen it. Sometimes there's there's prisoners and quote unquote criminals that are then sometimes in touch with family members and they somehow been able to get to a point where they forgive. And the forgiveness is what sets families and others free on both sides. Because often time, in my observation. The prisoners themselves have the guilds, the shame and all of that, and then they.
Speaker 2: I would say that the family that would forgive someone for having killed again a mom or a dad, or a son or a daughter or whatever, a close family. I don't think that someone you know, someone who's a brother in law or a sister in law has the standing to forgive, Okay, but I think they would be very rare people, uh two, very rare, very rare people. And and that's why I'm very hesitant. And that's why I am bringing this up tonight, and I hope to hear from more people. You make a great presentation. You're you're a better person than I am, Bellam. Okay, I mean that seriously. I am someone who in cases where there's no scintilla of doubt about a person's guilt or innocence and they have engaged in a and a heinous act with aggravating circumstances, such as Boston bomber number two, I would apply the death penalty without equivocation. I suspect you probably would not under anything.
Speaker 8: I disagree with that because it depends I certainly think that it depends on the case.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you this on Boston bomber number two, who has now lived twelve years past the date of what he and his brother did. He's sitting at the supermax in Colorado. Would you, if you know, would you support the death penalty for him?
Speaker 8: I mean, I think.
Speaker 2: You said it depends upon the case. That's the case.
Speaker 8: Everyone knows the only so my only reservation was his age when he did it. Other than that, I would say yes.
Speaker 2: And he was very at what age? And you at what age in your mind could someone commit? Or is there any age could someone you? I think you're moving target for me here at what age in your mind do people if this kid was? How old would you say, if he was forty and he did this, would you be willing to apply the death penalty? And what age?
Speaker 8: I think he was twenty five? See well, I don't think he was twenty five. I think he was young in either nineteen or twenty when he did it, or eighteen.
Speaker 2: I think he was twenty one. So if he had been twenty five, so you're not inalterably opposed to the death penalty, you're telling me I mentioned earlier tonight about if you were listening the two criminals who you know the Prewer case down in Connecticut.
Speaker 8: You found I was working, so I didn't sare that part?
Speaker 2: Well? Real? Simply these two criminals, it was a home invasion. They tied up a doctor, the dad and the husband in the house. Tied him up, immobilized him down cellar. They raped two young girls, I think they were eight and ten. They raped the mother. They took the mother to a bank to withdraw some money. She was able, this is about ten years ago. She was able to communicate somehow quietly with their eyes to a teller. The teller sense that there was a problem. She called police. When they got back to the home, police started to surround the house. The two killers doused the girls who had been tied up in their bed with gasoline, set the house on fire. They were both like in their forties fifties, and they fled the house. So there was no doubt about who committed these crimes. They killed the wife and they basically burned their daughters to death the husbandhouse because the fire department was there. They're well over twenty five. Would have you gone for the death penalty for them?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I have good? Okay, great, okay? Although that we can agree. I hate to do this year, but we've gone a long time only because the time you're welcome, please continue to call the program. Thanks, good night. All right, I have wide open lines here. I will promise no one else will get ten minutes. I'd like to hear a quick round from you on this. Do you want to keep life without parole in Massachusetts? We're going to switch topics at eleven, we're gonna go to the twentieth hour. Do you want to keep life without parole in Massachusetts? I do for murder one for cases people who are convicted of murder one, which is premeditation deliberation. Is that it's the highest level of murder in Massachusetts. Or do you agree with my guest from the nine o'clock hour or those who would want to get rid of it and make even people who commit murder one parole eligible after twenty five years. I'm inalterably opposed to this. I'd love to hear from you, particularly if you agree with me. Six one, seven, five, four, ten, thirty six months, seven nine, three thirty. I got wide open lines. I'll get everybody in quick answers from now until eleven.
Speaker 1: Night side with Dan Ray. I'm WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're talking about a piece of legislation that has been filed here in Massachusetts which would eliminate the penalty of life without parole. Let me go to Karen and rock Board. Karen, appreciate your patience. You were next on NIGHTSI thanks for calling in.
Speaker 9: Hi, Dan, first time caller. I can't believe I'm actually calling in on this, but.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. First of all, being the first time calling You're gonna get around of a boss from our studio audience, our digital studio audience, love to hear what your thoughts are. Go ahead.
Speaker 9: I just think they're absolutely nuts to even consider this. So nothing should surprise me with politics lately. But now they were tried, they were sentenced, the sentence sticks. There's there's a reason they were given the sentence they have. I don't feel like paying for these people forever and the Sonaya brothers. Simple solution. Sit them next to a bomb like they built. Blow it up if they make it okay, if they don't, you know, the brothers that left. I mean, that's harse, But seriously, there's there's might be.
Speaker 2: Appropriate, would probably prevent cruel and and usual punishment of the Eighth Amendment. No, what we're talking about here, and this is this is interesting. In Massachusetts, in order to get if you're convicted a murder in the first degree, it means it means premeditation and deliberations. That it's it's not a crime of passion. It's not a fight in the bar room. Those are the sort of second degree murder cases. This is like a contract killer. This is somebody who says, well, I'm gonna you know, I need to get someone because I need to kill a business partner, I got to kill a spouse. These are the worst of the worst. And now what happens is remember when they got rid of the death penalty in Massachusetts. The argument was, well, you know what, the death penalty is too good for them because that way it gets them out of here quickly. No, make them stay in prison for the rest of their lives. They deserve that.
Speaker 9: Punishment, and that's the punishment.
Speaker 4: And now we're not Now they've changed.
Speaker 2: Now they've changed the rules of the game. Now it's like, wait a second, it's not fair to the inmate. They have to give them hope that twenty five years you now they might get a parole to heck with the families who are gonna have to show up with the parole hearing. It's just Massachusetts. It's this creep being progressive incrementalism. They're never happy. Look what would stop some legislature a few years from now to say or whatever. Say well, well, twenty five years is a long time. Let's cut it down to fifteen years, you know. And I was pointing out that there was this guy in Norway. You hear so many people say, well, you know, in Europe they're much you know, it's a better criminal just system. No, it isn't this guy in Norway that blew up a bomb in Oslo, killed eight people and then went and killed sixty nine kids at a summer camp, seventy seven people in one day. He was sentenced to I think it was twenty years in prison. He will get out of prison in twenty thirty two because he committed this crime in the summer of twenty eleven, and he is up for a parole hearing in Norway. They turned him down, thank god. But he's got a parole hearing ten years into.
Speaker 9: His sentence, ten years in.
Speaker 2: When you do the math, ten years in and oh, by the way, when he showed up at the sentence, he gave a Nazi salute. Oh yeah, I want that guy out. Oh yeah. It doesn't.
Speaker 9: Know if there's some kind of doubt, you know, that's one thing, but that I I just think they're absolutely insane to even be talking about this. I would hope you get a checking to do.
Speaker 2: If you get a chance over the weekend, check us out Nightside of Demand. Listen to the nine o'clock hour. I had a fellow one who's one of the lobbyistsuff at the State House who supports this and it's a more thorough review of it. Hey, Karen, thanks very much. If you listen to night Side and you agree with me in this, I want you as a frequent caller, come on it.
Speaker 9: I listen all the time.
Speaker 2: Thank you getting here and I need your voice. Thank you much. Have a great night. Let me get Ken and walthon. Ken you're next on Nights and I'm going to be fascinating to know what you wanted to do on this go ahead can.
Speaker 5: Be obviously I can't. Yeah, I wondered if there's the incrementalism, if we're you know, the death penalty is taken away, life without paroles taken away if we're taking away some prosecutor tools for them to be able to, you know, negotiate guilty. Please, you know, we can't hold these tougher sentences against them and say you don't plead guilty to a lesser crime.
Speaker 2: If we take one, that's a factor. No, that that's a factor. It's a minu factor as far as I'm concerned, because most of these folks who are looking at a at a crime of life without parole, you know, they know they're going down. And you know, but but again, if that's off the table, maybe they'll, you know, give me a second degree murder so I can be eligible in fifteen years.
Speaker 5: Or life with parol. Right, So yeah, oh, I see what you're saying though, if they're both taken off.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The other thing I just wanted to bring up, I like, you know, Leslie van Houton the Manson, Yeah, right, murderer right at age nineteen. She was paroled at fifty three years later, and I you know, just listening to her, I mean, she just seems like an entirely different person. And I certainly wasn't screaming up and down, going injustice.
Speaker 2: In Jen No, you know, I get you on that one. But you know, tell tell me how you feel about Sharon Kate Sharon Tate.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I'm with you. Know, I'm not necessarily saying therefore we should.
Speaker 2: No, I understand. But but if you're going to involve in a home invasion and then kill a pregnant woman with her unborn child and others, and you know you fell under the spell of this really bad guy Manson, you know you did this. You know it wasn't like you got caught deal in marijuana on Sunset's trip some night, because you will. You know, this is a pretty serious crime. I just don't. I don't have it in my heart. I don't have it in my heart under.
Speaker 5: Your view, definitely, definitely she should not have been parole in your view.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you do it. You do it, you do it under those circumstances, you know, if it.
Speaker 5: Was well and you know the reason I bring that up just to throw that out there. And again I don't. I don't have a super super strong opinion either way. I mean, yep, I hear you just is you know Bombering number two fifty three years from now to be let out right if he I mean he same age as Leslie van Houten, under the control of.
Speaker 2: His theoretically, yeah, theoretically yeah, would you? I mean he knew what he was doing. He did it more dramatically than she did. But she went in there that night with text Ritter or whatever the heck. The kid's name was Uh and Uh. They did the deed on the instruction of Manson. So I guess I got a cold heart. Sorry.
Speaker 5: I think it's a tough, tough, tough question.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's Thanks, buddy, we'll talk. I gotta I gotta scoot here. I got the eleven coming. Thanks for calling in, Terry and on the cape. Terry, I can only give you about ten seconds. You're really late, Am I right or wrong? Just tell me quickly?
Speaker 10: Still right? But I'd like to add one more thing. Every mass shooter that shoots in schools, et cetera, et cetera, send them to Elsdalmador real quick and stop the nonsense.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, Terry. Thanks much. Maybe maybe the president has an exception we could carve out. Thanks, Terry. We'll talk soon. Okay, all right, twentieth hour coming up. I'm not sure what we're gonna do. But remember hall passes for everyone. If you've called this week, you can still call in the twentieth hour back on night's side. After this.
Speaker 11: It's Jim from ACE Ticket.
Speaker 12: I know it would be so hard and confusing to buy tickets to constant plays Boston Salvat's or a Red Stars game or your favorite team.
Speaker 11: That's why Age ticket makes it easy.
Speaker 12: ACE has been Boston's trustworthy source for tickets since nineteen seventy nine. We are located right here in Kenmore Square, and we still answer our phones and provide friendly and helpful customs service.
Speaker 11: And here's the best part.
Speaker 12: We provide that helpful service for free. We call it service with no service fees. Yes, that's awesome.
Speaker 11: That's right at ACE ticket. Oup prices include fees.
Speaker 12: Unlike other websites, we don't try to fool you. We provide upfront pricing. The first price you see is the price you pay. So do yourself a favor next time you treat yourself for someone special, Get the best seats of the lowest prices and start paying fees.
Speaker 11: Buy local and saved.
Speaker 12: Call one eight hundred my seats a visit aceticket dot com.
Speaker 13: Hi, It's Taylor, your other other Interstate Batteries guy here to let you know we've moved. Check out our new retail location at to A Draper Street. Where find us fast at Interstate Batteries dot com.
Speaker 14: Hey, this is Steve Anders. When was less time you serviced your sumpump? Call the sumpump weeks at one eight four four four three three five two two five Some pump geeks dot Com.
Speaker 1: WBZ in Boston w XKSFM EHTY two Bedford and iHeartRadio station. This is WBZ, Boston's news radio. We defining local news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fifty seven degrees in Boston at eleven o'clock. Good evening.
Speaker 11: I'm Al Griffith and here's what's happening.
Speaker 2: Well. The first week in the Karen Reid murder Reed trial is in the books. Among the proceedings today, the jury bust to the home in Canton where the body of Reed's patrolman boyfriend John O'Keefe was found out in the yard during a snowstorm.
Speaker 12: Now, she's accused of hitting him with her SUV and leaving the scene while he lay in the snow and then died from his injuries. Reid did not attend the visit to the home today on Fairview Road, although she was given permission to